Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia Judice.
Speaker 2: Daisy Kent, and Jennifer Fessler.
Speaker 3: This is another episode of Dirty Rushian. This is a big one. We have assembled so none of our hosts are here. This is a hostless episode. This is a team of sorority I always say sorority girls, but I know people like to say sorority women. We are going to because this is something I always get asked about and people are shook to their core when you mention singing at a sorority like it really throws people off. They're really inquisitive about it, like, what do you mean singing? What do you mean songs? What do you mean porch songs? What do you mean?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And now I think with social media, they're seeing all the dances and all the sort of theat tricks of sorority life. So we have a panel of women that are going to tell you what the story is with the songs, possibly even sing some, possibly even sing some. Okay, so where to begin? Uh, let's start with our other producer. We'll call you d Okay, what was your sorority Pi PI PI Beta PI?
Speaker 5: And you want me to sing my song because I know that a Pi Beta.
Speaker 3: Phi boom boom. Oh you know I think we have a second pie Beta phi. Oh God, yeah, we'll call you do W. I don't have any knowledge of any songs.
Speaker 5: I mean to sing the two and see if they jog your memory.
Speaker 3: See what I want to know is if the two pie Beta pies in this group have the same songs.
Speaker 5: Let's begin, Okay, boom boom. I want to be a pie Betafi boom boom and honey that I ain't no boom boom.
Speaker 3: I want to be a.
Speaker 5: Pivot if I don't you don't you don't you boom boom. I want to wear the wine in the blue boom boom and wear that era too. Boom boom. I want to be a pie bot if I don't cheo, don't you don't you boom? Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that is all I could do when I was standing in the back on the front porch at cal was just just do that. Yep. Knew not a single word to a single song, and no one expected me to.
Speaker 5: That was like our mein, like the first day of Rush. You sang that like when the girls were first coming in. That was the song you sang, and then there was a prep song that was like take a little golden row, take a little wine in bloom, take a little bit of loyalty shining through, take a little bit of ringing touched with.
Speaker 6: Bliss, put it.
Speaker 5: I'll together you have a pie five miss no no.
Speaker 2: I might have been drunk by them if that was like in the last day, I was the worsties.
Speaker 3: What colors are you saying? Wine in blue baby blue wine?
Speaker 7: Wine?
Speaker 3: Is that in burgundy? Com yeah, but you were called it wine wow yeah, okay, And that was so see I want to be a pie Beta fy boom boom. That's sort of your big one.
Speaker 5: That was like day one of Rush. All the girls are coming in, You're singing, you know, like don't you want to be a pie Beta fi? Essentially, like that was a big like and it's also like super fun and catchy and like there's like snapping that goes along with it.
Speaker 3: So that was like day one, Like yeah, I sort of remember a dance to boom boom and sort of a clapping on the legs boom boom. Okay, So Kappa's in the house. I know we've got three Kappas at least me h and a any other kappas. All right, so let's see. So I shall sing one and you tell me if you know this and please join it on the hardest what's the one.
Speaker 6: Key that binds us? Wait?
Speaker 4: Then a what does it do after that one key that binds us that always reminds us of a fortuna these days?
Speaker 6: Oh god, what's the rest of it? Those are initiation and those yeah.
Speaker 3: Hard knocking knocking there.
Speaker 4: I did that.
Speaker 6: I did the solo for that.
Speaker 3: Okay, this tell us all about it. Tell us all about it, solo, Like.
Speaker 6: It's a solo. It's a solo.
Speaker 3: Explain it.
Speaker 4: So my really close friend was our ritual chair and she was telling me before we did our like needing to learn all of the songs that we have to do for initiation, And she's like, there's a solo and I know no one's gonna do it. Can you please just do it? I was like, oh, all right, fine, so early in the morning, and I'm like, it's it's in a part where like people don't see you, so like you can like read off a card and not have to kid.
Speaker 6: It's a lotch for remember, but it's just like a little.
Speaker 3: Don't give the knockout. She's doing our secret knock, but it's okay.
Speaker 6: Sorry secret knock your friend.
Speaker 4: Yes, then you go knocking, knocking, who's there? Waiting, waiting cap affair, And it's kind of like a back and forth thing.
Speaker 3: But there's a better a you have a you're in a better key. I went too high because ours was very high when we did it. So basically, what I can say is some people were on one side of a door and some people were on another side of a door, and the knock would happen and then it would be like knocking, knocking, who is there? And then the other half response waiting, waiting cap affair. So h, lady, h do you know this song? Also? You are also a cap I do.
Speaker 7: I cannot tell you the words, and I do not remember the solo. I felt like it was everybody on one.
Speaker 6: Side the door singing and then everyone on the other side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the solo part?
Speaker 6: I don't remember the solo part. We had like there was one person that's saying.
Speaker 4: The longer versus, and then the group would say like the very short like knocking, knocking, who is there? I'm pretty sure it was something where like the solo person had a lot more verses that were pretty long, and then you had to like go very back and forth, and it was weird because like you'd have someone on like the other side of the door and like everyone it's like a call and response kind of thing. Yes, And then it was really hard too, because when you go to like learn them, they're like these old videos that are like choir singers and they just sound so good and that's probably why you guys sounded so much higher pitch because they're like real singers doing it. And then we're all just like a group of forty of us that like can't speak the life of us.
Speaker 6: And it's very like dead kind of sounding and sound. Course.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, and I remember, like you have to sing loud enough for people to get.
Speaker 6: Through the.
Speaker 3: Okay, a couple other rush questions for the Kappas before we move on to the fadas at all, Sweet Home, cap A Gamma. Where our colors are blue and blue? Anyone?
Speaker 5: No, your colors are blue and blue?
Speaker 3: Where our colors are blue and blue, because we're blue and blue, dark blue and light blue. Yeah, so a that's talking right now. We were actually in the same so already at the same school. So you guys don't even do that one.
Speaker 6: We don't do that one. We do like a home cap.
Speaker 3: A gamma, give me any fun ones from Rush.
Speaker 4: There was like okay, cage uh, I got my sisters with me.
Speaker 6: It was like a weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah yeah, cage I got all of us.
Speaker 6: There was that one, and then that was like one of our find sister songs.
Speaker 3: And you do Kappa Kappa Gama the hottest house north of Havana. He kapa. Oh you know it was funny diama music and fashion something something and it's like you rush from eight to four at every storty door. Your feet are tired and they are sore until kapa no nothing No.
Speaker 4: There was a different thing this year with recruitment where you technically weren't allowed to dance like you weren't allowed to do like a performance at all. So they were very strict on you had to simply only clap and do like a very strict There was no like limited r movements and we had to like redo a lot of like art song, not a lot of a lot of our songs, like the dances that we do with them, and change it to simply just clapping, because why did.
Speaker 3: They even when the doors are closed, they you can't dance.
Speaker 6: You cannot dance, You can't dance in front of the p and ms.
Speaker 3: What okay? So madam Madam W and I went to the same school, And what's interesting is when Madam W was there, you could come out onto the porches, out onto the street the main drag and sing on the porches. When I went through Rush, you could still do that, maybe even my sophomore year, but then they took that away. So a, are you not allowed to sing on the porches anymore?
Speaker 6: Or not all on the porches?
Speaker 3: You have to I remember eventually we had to wait till the door was fully securely closed before you could begin singing ours.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: I know that what they do now is like they kind of line everyone up very like in straight line, as close as they can towards the door so that they can see all of us on the inside because we're not allowed to all be outside. And then as soon as they're all leaving, like even if we're like halfway, because they kind of you know, like the songs are short, like you have to just do them like thirty times. It does not matter if you just barely started the first bit. This door has to be closed and then you have to go through the full thing over again to ensure that, like even because even when they're leaving, they can still hear you, and it's super awkward if like right when they lead, it just goes dead silent and it's like talking. So they're very they were like very drilled drilled it into us of like make sure the door is closed, and you still have to finish the verse or finish the song in order for it to go.
Speaker 3: A couple questions before we move on. Does anybody know the reasoning behind no dancing in front of rushies as we call them.
Speaker 5: I'm assuming because of Bama rush and how like gnarly just all the viralness of it.
Speaker 3: I don't know taking that away, why are you not allowed to dance?
Speaker 4: I think it was just I I wasn't really one hundred percent sure like the total rules of it either in the moment.
Speaker 6: I think it was just like.
Speaker 4: It's all there was a lot of things of like doing like dirty rushing in a sense where like you don't want to be making if you like make eye contact at someone or give them like a gesture Like those things can be considered tree rushing because it's like you directly interact with the P and M and it makes it seem like you're acknowledging them and it's like a hey like like because girls will leave these houses and like create rumors of just like oh my god, she like gave like a wink at me, so like that means.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna get and buy it back, Like no, no, no, no no, that's all that works.
Speaker 4: So I think that they're just trying to limit as much as they can when it comes to like thinking that girls had like an inn or think of like signs that like girls that the girls could get out to P and MS.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say, where is Kevin Bacon when we need him? Let them dance? Moving onto the mother daughter duo we have in this secret panel. We have gathered together. Mom, what sorority were you?
Speaker 1: Alpha Fi?
Speaker 3: And daughter? What sorority were you?
Speaker 1: I was in cap Alpha Theta.
Speaker 3: And do you guys mind giving us a rendition of any songs that you can remember, does not matter if you have a good or not.
Speaker 1: In theata, there were so many songs it was actually unreal like every time we had Chapter, for example, we had to say the pledge sing this song, and then we would always have to sing a different song, and then there'd usually be a ritual, and there'd be a ritual songs. And there's one Rush one that I remember. I don't really remember the ones that we did in Chapter, but during Rush there's this one song because Theta is kat cawp aalpha data, so they call them like the cats. And so there's this song that just like replays in my mind over and over because it's honestly so annoying. It's like it's hip to be a cat, to be a cat, to be a cacta.
Speaker 3: Data theta and it just you just say.
Speaker 1: That again, no originality, no other lyrics, and they just.
Speaker 3: Hammer that song.
Speaker 1: It gets ridiculous and it still goes new nightmares.
Speaker 9: But the only song I can remember is one hundred percent swear words because it was more like a It was like an initiation song.
Speaker 3: Sing it it's unspeakable.
Speaker 9: Do you really want to hear it?
Speaker 3: The resolutely need to hear it, and if necessary, we can bleep, but we're this show is explicit, so bring it.
Speaker 9: So we had to like we were in a house, so we didn't have really sority houses. But we went to a house to do some sort of initiation activity and we had to maybe drink, but anyway, we had to say this chant and it's like.
Speaker 3: I'm nervous for you going.
Speaker 9: I know, maybe this is like resort he does this. I don't know, but we all I remember is we would go ship. Damn motherfucker. Fuck shit.
Speaker 10: Damn, some damn.
Speaker 6: Bitch just stole my man.
Speaker 9: I'll find another f better than the other f ship.
Speaker 6: Damn motherfucker you are lying.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 1: Think that's the first time I ever go home. Course in her LifeWay.
Speaker 6: That's all that is.
Speaker 3: That was iconic. I don't know because our like song like that went like this. A Kappa and a Fiji were woo and I declare down by the mill pond. They didn't know I was there. And the Kappa she was pretty, and the Fiji he was shy. It seems a little tamer there.
Speaker 6: Ye sweet, very sweet. This was not very sweet.
Speaker 3: Wow, that that was We didn't have anything like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was rapt.
Speaker 9: It was the older girls like hazing us, kind of like making us.
Speaker 3: Anyone else have dirty songs anyone.
Speaker 8: I mean, it wasn't part of Rush, but everyone like claimed Kappa's theme song was like Kapa back that ass up. But I think a lot of people do that one.
Speaker 3: So we also have producer e with us. What was your sorority?
Speaker 11: I was a Delta Gamma.
Speaker 3: Also any DG songs that you could share with us.
Speaker 11: I found my recruitment manual today.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 11: So I have all the songs in front of me. I can sing you the short one.
Speaker 12: Please give us a Gama sister hood eternally love boy, love and caring, happily sharing anchors call me.
Speaker 3: This might be the best episode of Dirty Rush yet, Like, seriously, keep going, keep going.
Speaker 6: No, that's it for me.
Speaker 3: Please one more, please, one more?
Speaker 11: Will you wear our anchor? Will you be the one who will be our new sister? When morning has come? Will you sail tomorrow on the Delta G to new harbors of friendship that you have yet to see. Our captain is calling. Soon you will be gone, but remember that DG is where you belong. Will you wear our anchor? Wear our pin with pride? Will you be our new sister? You must decide, and we blow out our crumble.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, guys. I don't think any of these lyrics are gonna win Grammys, Like they're a little rough, like it's not great, which was I'm a cap, but you're a cap, But wouldn't you like to be a kapa? To be a kapa?
Speaker 5: Play?
Speaker 3: That was sort of I think w where we were right across from each other doing that at each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our houses were partners, right mom marc duo?
Speaker 3: Yes, so we pi Fi and Kappa at our school was across the street from each other. We were all friends, but we would have sing offs almost like it's perfect going crazy, then the other's going crazy, then you go loud or louder like. It must have been an absolute for the neighborhood, like what is happening? It was great, though I can't fight.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that our dancing was that good. We probably should have gotten banned from dancing.
Speaker 3: But so let me ask you a question we had. Do you guys know the song? And I'm totally this is a big secret. I'm revealing that's fine. You know the song word up? Does anyone in this group know that song cameo?
Speaker 2: Word up?
Speaker 6: You guys?
Speaker 3: Can someone look up? The lyrics. You guys know the song was like two It was a smash hit in the nineties. Yes, I know, m word up like the word yeah, word World.
Speaker 6: That was all that.
Speaker 3: That was all pretty Ladies Around.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Ready a brand new day.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, that merged.
Speaker 3: That was merging of two songs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, do yourselves a favor and listen to Word Up by Cameo. So we had a thing where and I'm wondering from from the Kappa in the in the secret panel here, every pledge class did an eight count. I think I've told the story before. So you would do an eight count, and then the next one would do an eight count and it got passed down, down, down, down down to create a dance to the whole song. Yes, Pretty Ladies Around or do you know what I'm talking about? Any other schools doing that?
Speaker 7: I feel like we did that, but I not to this specific song. But I do remember doing that, Yes.
Speaker 3: Sort of like a dance.
Speaker 7: It was almost like, yeah, you had like groups of people that would be a different Yes, I don't know, I don't remember the song we did it too, but we did do that too.
Speaker 3: Anybody else have any memories of singing good and bad that they feel open to sharing. Before we go.
Speaker 9: There was a good friend of mine for Rush got the privilege of doing a solo.
Speaker 3: As well, and she changed the words.
Speaker 9: This was really good because this song was so hot at the time. It was that song gotta be like you gotta be bad. Yeah, she changed the words to that song and just nailed it, and we had the best Rush ever. Like we were known for her soul like.
Speaker 3: She made it an alpha fe Yeah.
Speaker 9: She turned it into an alphaby song for Rush, and it was just part of our back when you were able to kind of do performative things. And it was really really good. It was a hit, and anytime I hear that song, I can always I don't remember the words she changed it to, but it was it was fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's always sort of a couple of girls in there that can really sing. That makes it pretty great. Wait, secret question for the one that starts with an A. Are you in Kappa Kapa Gamma right now?
Speaker 4: No, because I know that would be so loud in there and I wouldn't be able to get.
Speaker 3: Because you're in a secret spot. Where are you?
Speaker 6: I'm actually in my athletics right now?
Speaker 3: Oh, you're like at school on the campus or campus.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yes, oh cool.
Speaker 4: Yes, since I'm active, we can't reveal any of the knocking knocking stuff.
Speaker 6: But other than that, other than that, I had a great time with the songs this year. We had a time. I love music chanting. I love chanting to do with my teammates and showing it to them. They're so confused every time they see it.
Speaker 3: Oh when they see your KAPA songs.
Speaker 4: Oh when they see like me chanting and they like, don't see like me like sorority girl.
Speaker 6: They're just like, what are you doing? Like yeah, they're just so freaked out by.
Speaker 3: A very befuddled by the singing lady W Madam W whatever your name was. Did you guys do a song? You're not gonna remember, but we'll ask you before Monday night dinner. No, we did not.
Speaker 2: We just think piled down and I really could make the meeting, you know, the Monday meeting that was in our chapter room, like and we got I got fined all the time.
Speaker 3: I feel like we had a song before dinner was served. Anybody remember we do?
Speaker 4: I Actually, I honestly don't remember it that well because I wasn't there when we learned it. And it's honestly kind of bum bump like sad when you don't learn the songs, because then everyone's singing it and you're like, what's happening?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 6: We do have like a just like formal chapter. Could just sing a.
Speaker 3: Little of that and see if it comes back to the others.
Speaker 6: What I try to think of what it was and I barely even know it. I think it's on the heart of each sister.
Speaker 3: Is that the one? That's what I think it is too.
Speaker 6: I think it is.
Speaker 3: Well, this has been quite enlightening. Everybody sing sing a song. Yes, it is a whole thing with sororities. I would call it like a major part of the sororities the songs.
Speaker 8: Agreed and going into Rush, I had no idea of the commitment of singing you were gonna happen?
Speaker 12: So were you?
Speaker 3: What did you think when you're like, uh, these people are singing.
Speaker 7: Day one of Rush was really overwhelming with all the singing for me because I was not prepared for it. And then you know what, you just join in and.
Speaker 6: Part of the group.
Speaker 2: It's the end.
Speaker 6: It's hard on the stand in the back.
Speaker 5: It's harder on the other end being the people that have to sing songs.
Speaker 3: You guys, I don't. I don't want to end on a high note, but I will. I start looking up Kappa songs because these days you can find them. All won remembers this Hi Lo. Everywhere we go on Kappa Kappa, we depend. We are Kappa Kappa Gama sisters till the end. Nobody. Yes, yes, I want a whole iconic Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: A whole rap.
Speaker 6: But now we have the famous TikTok Kapa rap.
Speaker 3: Not like that.
Speaker 4: It's on TikTok, the TikTok sound. It's like cute and intellectual. These girls are exceptional and every way we dominate. So Kapa is what I nominate. Want to be on top like me, All you gotta do is go okay. It's like a very funny like TikTok sound. It's not like any like door chat or anything, but like blue up on TikTok and like that's when like you know, when like we do work week, there's like a theme where like everyone dresses and like just all blue and like in the weirdest blue costume stuff you can find, and like you'll draw like blue on your face and wear like a blue sweatshirt with like a blue bikini or like I don't know, you just like look stupid. But then you'll like use that sound and it's like this whole it was like this whole Kappa TikTok era thing.
Speaker 3: All new, all new. Uh dg over there anything else you can share about the singing from your book?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Do you want to close out on a song?
Speaker 3: We would, We very much would.
Speaker 10: Okay, I have found my dream girl. She's as sweet as she can be. I have found the one I love. She's all the world to me. She wears the golden anchor and the bronze, the pink, the blue delta. Yeah, I love you, and to you, I will be true. College memories linger never fade nor disappear, anchored till eternity with lasting love. So Dear, wherever I may wander, all my thoughts will turn to the delta.
Speaker 11: Gem I dream girl, you are the only one for me.
Speaker 3: That was beautiful, really really well done. Thank you for joining us on this episode of Dirty Rush. Don't worry, your host will be back soon. And that's that's another episode of Dirty Rush. The Truth of Sorority life,