Speaker 1: Danielle were you were you practicing your signature?
Speaker 2: Like to see that I do that while we're doing the podcast. I just write my name over and over again.
Speaker 1: I just love it. It's like she still has a crush on Jensen. She's practicing.
Speaker 2: Practice.
Speaker 3: She wrote a little hard.
Speaker 4: I just think I've ever seen I think, not read Lance Bass or Taylor Thomas or any of the others.
Speaker 2: At least I love my husband.
Speaker 1: No official Bass.
Speaker 2: Whoa, Oh my gosh, that's hilarious. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, remember when we got to whatever convention that was a couple of weeks ago, and I was like, guys, I have a new signature. I'm gonna I'm gonna really take my time. That lasted four signatures before. I was like, no, I just have a thing now that where I don't even really have control over what comes out of me with my signature anymore. It's just like the pen touches the paper and my hand does the same moves over and over again. And even if I wanted, like, for example, I have wanted to stop doing that exclamation point, happy face exclamation point that I do at the bottom of my name, I've done it ever since I ever started signing autographs when I was like eleven or twelve years old, and I want to stop.
Speaker 2: It and I can't.
Speaker 6: You know, you can't, You just can Yeah, I can't. Can just stop. After the I.
Speaker 5: Sign my name and it just happens automatically, and I'm like, oh, I wanted to.
Speaker 7: Not do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: By the end of the con, you can't even tell what my name is, like it just says like best wishes, Wendell Freeman.
Speaker 2: Super fil freed Ale.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you just can't. You can't tell anymore. It's just a blur.
Speaker 4: And my parents we we we were with my parents a couple of weeks ago, got together and we'd had like a whole board game weekend in this in this beach house.
Speaker 1: Was so fun.
Speaker 4: And my parents have this crazy thing that I don't know where they got it, but their glasses like a goggles that you put on that turn the world upside down. It's like a set of mirrors, so you're looking through but suddenly your feet are on the ceiling. It's like it completely inverts the world right. It makes you like, it drives you crazy, and what you try and do is like try and write something and you can't, Like you cannot like you look down, which means looking up at what you're right.
Speaker 1: It's so confusing, Oh is sign my name?
Speaker 4: It was like I couldn't write like because you try and just write correctly and you end up writing upside down and backwards. And so then I was like, no, no, no, I'm just gonna close my eyes and sign my name and I could do it perfectly.
Speaker 1: So it's like, wow, yeah, it's just automatic. You've got to try.
Speaker 6: Just thinking about that made me nauseous.
Speaker 2: You've got to ask your parents where they got that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the coolest thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, Indy put it on, could not take it off and was just like what God, Yeah, it's so weird.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool. Welcome to pod meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm.
Speaker 6: Rider Strong, and I'm Wilfredell.
Speaker 5: So when you film a seven seasons of a TV show, episodes start to blend together a bit, as you may have already heard on an almost weekly basis with this podcast, and now thirty years later, we have forgotten a lot of things. But recently, Will and Ryder bumped into this week's guest at a convention in Albuquerque, and they couldn't be happier to remember the sweetness that is Natanya Ross. She appeared in just one episode of Boy Meets World as ingrid iverson the girl, Corey and Sean decide to riz up for the big Christmas dance and hopes she'll become more popular.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 6: Thanks, guys.
Speaker 5: I was hoping you guys were going to notice, and in turn, she left quite an impression on the legacy of the show, and after visiting us, she went on to star in the Freaky Friday TV movie with Shelley Long and Gabby Hoffman. She appeared on The Babysitters Club and Baywatch, and most notably, she was in almost fifty episodes of The Secret World of Alex Mack, playing Robin Russo. So now all three of us are thrilled to be reunited with Natanya to talk not only about her guest appearance on Boymet's World and the fact that she's the only proof we have that our school did indeed have a pool, but also we will chat about her life since we work together, and what she's overcome to be here today. Let's please welcome to the show. Natanya Ross.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hi, Hi, how is everyone?
Speaker 2: We're good how are you.
Speaker 8: I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 5: We were just discussing right before you came in. How you ran into writer and Will at a convention last year in Albuquerque.
Speaker 8: Yes, I did.
Speaker 1: It was us in the Sandloch Crew Hanger.
Speaker 6: It was nothing else and the Mighty Ducks and the and the Mighty Ducks.
Speaker 8: We had Jean and Marty and there was nothing else to do.
Speaker 6: Pretty much, it's pretty accurate.
Speaker 3: I just got.
Speaker 8: Booked to do another one in the same place. Yeah, and I was like, all right, I guess I'll go back.
Speaker 6: I mean, the question really is how fast can you spell Albuquerque?
Speaker 3: Not fast at all?
Speaker 6: Albl a l b u q u e r q u e oh, I go home albac.
Speaker 1: You practiced that just to be able to do that pretty much. Party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a party track, it is.
Speaker 6: It absolutely is.
Speaker 5: Okay, So let's start with our most basic question we like to ask everybody, which is when did you get into acting as a kid?
Speaker 8: Six months old?
Speaker 6: No, really, that might be our youngest ever.
Speaker 1: You might beat Matt Lawrence because he's somewhere in the first year or year and a half, but you six.
Speaker 2: Months Tell us about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't remember much.
Speaker 5: What what do you mean, I want to know all my memory, I don't remember much.
Speaker 8: My mom was just like very determined to make me into something, which I'm you know, goes into a lot of ship that happened later on in my life. But yeah, six months old, I was a Gerber baby. I was doing a bunch of commercials, and then I had like very very very small parts in Crimes and Misdemeanors and Awakenings with Robert de Niro and Crazy. But then like the first I guess real recognizable thing which really still trips me out that people even comment on this was Little Monsters.
Speaker 5: I yes, so you were in Little Monsters, which starred Fred Savage and had a cameo by Ben.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, crazy and I.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, I don't even know if I've actually seen it all the way through either. But I was very were young.
Speaker 3: I was six years old, and.
Speaker 8: I had this like thirty second little Heart, and that's really what kind of kicked everything off. When I think my mom and my team at that time, it's so weird that to have a team at six years old, but they were like, yeah, let's try and take this as far as we can take.
Speaker 3: It with this.
Speaker 1: Let's take this, let's let's.
Speaker 3: Take this all the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, six years of investment if paid off.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: So, what are your like? Those are some pretty big sets to be on as a small kid. What is what do you what.
Speaker 5: Is like your earliest memory of being on a set? What do you actually remember where you're like? I know I did those jobs because there's evidence of it, But like, the first one I really remember is, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Probably I did like a Juicy juice commercial in Canada. I remember that because we had to get on a plane and we were first class and it was this big thing and I loved it so much. But I think Little Monsters is probably the first set I really remember being on. I couldn't tell you, like too much about it, but I have recollections of like what it felt like and what it made me feel like and what was Yeah, I was really cognizant even at that age that this was what I wanted to be doing. So although I have, you know, a little bit of a cliche child star story later on in life, I was never forced into it. Like I knew that I loved it even at that age. I just didn't know how much I was about to really love it, like later on, you know, I just was like I was like a rambunctious kind of a big personality kid.
Speaker 3: And I was like, yeah, I'm on set. This is great.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: It didn't like, I think, penetrate my soul the way it did later on, but I knew I was where I wanted to be.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: And so when you then made it to boy Meet's World, did Bean remember you Did you guys talk about little Monsters at all?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 8: No, No, I don't think I brought that. I was nervous on set with you guys, and I came from I was already on Alex Mack, so I was integrated into a set family too. You know, we were I think on season two when I did Alex Mack, when I did Boy Meet's World. So I just I remember coming in knowing the dynamic that you guys had probably already built together because I had that too. So I was nervous. I was like, I don't remember talking much to anyone really, but I did talk to Ben the most for sure, but never about little monsters.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: Even later on when we were I don't even think I brought that up.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've.
Speaker 6: Never we've never seen little Monsters.
Speaker 7: But I have a question if anybody knows, is it called little monsters because the kids are bad, like problem child or they're actually monsters?
Speaker 4: I think yeah, it's like a monster under the bed or something that they've become friends with or something.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, it's.
Speaker 8: Like a main monster too.
Speaker 3: Howie Mandel is like, okay, gin monster. I should probably watched it too.
Speaker 2: We should watch it.
Speaker 7: We should watch it of little monsters.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, Well you were also I mean, you were also on a TGIF show. You were on Billy, the sitcom with Billy Connolly and Johnny Gillecky, So you were all by the time you got to Boy Meets World, you are already like a TGIF staple.
Speaker 2: You were already on Alex Mac in second season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, So before we get into Boy Meets World, there is a movie that you did that I have to talk to you about because in doing research for this interview, I'm not sure this this movie is ever gonna leave my nightmare.
Speaker 2: So I need all the details.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: Munchie Strikes Back, the sequel to Munchie and that movie, Munchie starred Jennifer Love Hewitt.
Speaker 2: So you were in the sequel.
Speaker 5: I want to show you the image of Munchie the monster in it because it's it's pretty, it's pretty crazy, it's a it's a wonderful creature. And this is the official movie description. He dresses like a lounge singer, oh, sounds like a stand up comedian and has magic powers.
Speaker 6: Oh, my father, how have I never seen that?
Speaker 5: I love his card again and I need to know every detail about this movie.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, God bless the nineties exactly.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was not to say about this movie.
Speaker 8: It was like this weird little Roger Korman movie. I don't even think I auditioned for it, just kind of like came across to us as an offer. And my Mom's like, dude, if you knew anything.
Speaker 2: What was what was the character you played in it?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 3: I played the girlfriend of.
Speaker 8: No no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: I was going to be so excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah that would be like.
Speaker 6: So I mean to kiss.
Speaker 8: I was a girlfriend of like the main character and his best friend was Munchie. But it was like an imaginary like no one else could really see it. And yeah, I was just like his little girlfriend in the movie.
Speaker 5: And what was it like with that? Was that puppet on set all the time? Did you have to interact with that puppet?
Speaker 8: The puppet was on set, I didn't have any scenes with the puppet. Like the prints of the movie is like only this kid can see it.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I love how Danielle was just assuming it's a puppet.
Speaker 2: Well, it could be a real guy, could be a real person.
Speaker 6: Just yeah, seriously, he instantly just judged that young actor. Very nice, Danielle.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I have.
Speaker 8: To say, with all the interviews I do, I've never once been asked about monkey Man.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That makes me happy.
Speaker 1: That's that's our special time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not every podcast kind of hits the level we.
Speaker 1: Do right to the jugular.
Speaker 6: We try. We try to get the.
Speaker 1: Entirely forgetable nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I want to work with a puppet like that? Are you kidding me? That's the puppet is amazing. And he's wearing a cute card again. I love it.
Speaker 3: Okay, card a good look.
Speaker 2: It's a great look. I mean, if you're a puppet, wear a card again.
Speaker 5: So there's one thing you learned from this interview, let it be that, So after Munchie you then came onto our set as Ingrid, who was a nerdy wallflower who Corey decides to try and make popular. Do you remember auditioning for that one or like what was that process?
Speaker 3: Like I do.
Speaker 8: So I had audition for Boy Meets World a plethora of times for like all sorts of.
Speaker 7: Like everybody that's the story that seems to be the story.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and this one was like really last minute too. They called me in just a couple of days before this was about to start, So I think I came in on a Friday and it was gonna start on Monday, and and it was like one of those times and I have a lot of this where they were like the part is yours, Like you're not even auditioning against anyone else, just go in. They just want to see you read. And of course I show up and there's like fifty other girls there.
Speaker 2: Of course that happening on.
Speaker 1: Alex mad say that you've already seen it every.
Speaker 8: Other every audition for like the last ten years. So yeah, I just I went in and read, and I think as I was leaving they called my agent and said they got it. So then I showed up Monday to table read with you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and what's crazy to me is the entire episode is you I know, like, yeah, you have so much to do in this episode.
Speaker 1: I've forgotten that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, it's so crazy too, because I mean, obviously, Alex Mack was such a big thing in the nineties and that's I think what most of the fan base still like remains about. But this specific episode, I get DMS. I mean, it's NonStop about this specific episode.
Speaker 6: And and I've.
Speaker 8: Rewatched it, you know, yeah, and I have so many thoughts about it. But I understand I think a little bit more now as an adult, why this episode resonated so much with kids at that time. I mean, aside from the fact that boy Meet's world is so special to so so so many people, it touched on so many different things. And as I've rewatched it, it kind of like unlocked this core feeling for me that I had back then, where like this was very much art imitates life for me without any of you guys knowing, without me, you know, saying anything like that. I very much felt like both of these variations of Ingrid, Like I very much felt like the nerdy girl, the not attractive girl, the not popular girl, and then like with potentially the promise to like maybe be prettier or whatever. And it had been like ingrained in my head for so long by agents and managers of like, yeah, you're cute, but like you're just not that girl, or you're not the lead girl, you're not the girlfriend, you're not any of these things. And Boy Meet's World was kind of the first time I had the opportunity to like show both sides, you know. But I distinctly when I was in that brown dress thing.
Speaker 3: Whatever that was the worst.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the glasses and the pigtails that I was like, it just it made me feel so much like the outside was like showing how I really felt inside.
Speaker 3: And I was just kind of like embarrassed to.
Speaker 8: Be in that outfit, you know. And and then also then when the makeover happens, I was like, am I even this girl? It was an interesting week for me.
Speaker 2: I will say, Yeah, we recently rewatched it as well, and we also had many mixed emotions about it.
Speaker 5: You're you know, sort of thrown into the situation where they're going to try to make you like more hot for Corey and you never really give any input on it before you get the makeover, and then it is revealed that you like want to be popular so bad that you're like down for whatever.
Speaker 1: That's the best moment of the episode.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's like when you grab ben by the caller in your life, make me popular popular?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then it all kind of plateaus when you jump into the swimming pool at the end and you lose your cool friends because of it, and then at the end you still ditch Corey for a more popular guy. So I say all of that, like, what looking back on the episode, you're talking about when you rewatched it, the feelings it brought up for you that were mirroring your own life. What now, rewatching it as an adult, what do you feel about it now?
Speaker 8: I mean, I don't know if it like ages all that well now you know, And but it's almost it's crazy. I can almost still kind of tap into that emotion, you know, where I think there is so much pressure on I mean, I couldn't even imagine being like a teenager now, you know.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine.
Speaker 8: And if back in our time, if all of the social media and all of the stuff that goes on now was happening, then I don't know, that I would have like survived that back then, you know. But yeah, I think, like looking back at it, you know, I was grateful for that opportunity because it actually for me showed some of like my team that I could do something else than just play this like weird, nerdy, you know character. So I was really grateful for that. So thank you guys for that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it just.
Speaker 8: Kind of brought back those feelings of like, like at that age, I had to learn very quickly, like you better get okay with who you are as a human being, like and you better do it fast, you know. And unfortunately that didn't happen for me till much later in life. But yeah, I mean, but it also brought back, like I loved being on that show. I remember being so excited, you know, that I had gotten the opportunity to do that. But you know, it's a mixed bag of uh emotions, right, It's a mixed back.
Speaker 2: So well, do people still recognize you as Ingrid? Do people talk to you about boy Mes World.
Speaker 8: All the time all the time. It's crazy, Like even when I do conventions and there's always a Boymans World picture on the table. People just love this character, which is so special, and sometimes I get confused about it because I'm like, I was only on one episode, but they just love ingrid iverson, so.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great character. It's like I feel like, but in this second season, it's like, you had your episode and then Daniel Harris did her sister Teresa episode where she played Harley Coiners and you guys like come in and the whole episode is about you, and it's like they're the best guest stars.
Speaker 1: Like we've you know, I've only watched the show.
Speaker 4: So far up into the second season, but it seems like they're the best characters that we had, you know, like this, they're great roles and you did you got to show this range. I'm fascinated by what you were saying, Like, you know, it's it's so sad that I mean, it makes sense, right that actors get categorized, right, Like, when you're an actor, you get put into a category. You're like the funny comic relief character, the leading lady, leading lady, the whatever, and like, but for.
Speaker 1: A kid, that that's a different thing to internalize, you know.
Speaker 4: I feel like as an adult you can say it because like, uh, there's a there's a famous acting teacher in La named I think this is I think it's a Leslie Con thing. You guys know Leslie Con. You guy's remember her, and she teaches that. She teaches her actors to get up on stage and find their zero, which is like what do you present naturally? Like what is your presence? Just sort of read to people, And so she'll actually have actors get up on stage and the whole class will be like what you know, and just say like, Hi, my name is so and so, and then the whole class judges that person and says like I don't trust her, or I want to go on a date with her whatever. They're like instinct and then like the whole idea is they understand what your zero is, what you naturally present as, and then work for that or against that based on the character you're playing.
Speaker 1: Whatever. But when you're a.
Speaker 4: Kid, like your zero is very hard to object to objectively, like remove yourself from, you know, like I, as an adult, you can say like, oh, yeah, I probably I have a resting bitch face or whatever it is, and I can work against that and you can just move beyond it. But when you're a kid, that's your entire identity.
Speaker 1: And I definitely felt that too.
Speaker 4: Like as a kid, whatever it is, whatever parts you get start to reflect how you feel about yourself, and it's hard to like turn that off or I don't know, but yeah, I often wondered if it was if it was different with child.
Speaker 7: Actors out on the West Coast than it was on the East Coast, because when I moved out here at sixteen, even when I started Boy Mets World, you know, you're still auditioning for the things you're auditioning for films or whatever kind of in between.
Speaker 6: And the thing I noticed about LA.
Speaker 7: Was that it was always like, oh, man, you were so great, thank you for coming in.
Speaker 6: It was so nice to see you here.
Speaker 7: And you walk out like, wow, I did well in New York. It was like, no, you're too fat. Sorry, yeah, so you just you Just by the time I was eleven, I would walk in and they go, we ask for a redhead who brought this kid?
Speaker 6: No, thank you very much. And I get back on the bus and I go home and it.
Speaker 7: Sounds harsh, but it made my skin so thick that I just it just wasn't about me, Like I was able to completely dissect myself from the fact that they were looking for something else, and at least they told me that to my face, even at eleven or twelve, as opposed to what I would get when I came out here in LA.
Speaker 6: Was like, oh my god, you're so good. It was so great to have you here.
Speaker 7: And then they'd never call you because they didn't like you from the second you walked in. And so I wondered, you know, I wonder mentally, which one is actually makes you a stronger person and a stronger actor. Is somebody just kind of saying to you, no, not gonna do a kid, You're not what we're looking for. Or yeah, oh my god, it's so great, you're awesome, and then just not calling.
Speaker 4: So I think it depends on the kid, right I mean, I would guess, but you have to adapt either way. Either way, being a kid in that situation is difficult, right like handling that rejection or the acceptance of only one version of you, right like that that you don't have the flexibility to be like, oh I can I can be whoever I want as I grow up, you know, But you know, and I mean, I think.
Speaker 1: All of us in this group were actually pretty lucky.
Speaker 4: You know, there are other kids who were like extremely overweight or very short. You know, they had like a different look that only was acceptable as a certain type of character, right, and that's all they could play for their entire you know, and that has got to wear down on you in a way.
Speaker 5: Natanya, what do you remember the things you were getting cast for. What do you remember that telling you about yourself and who you are? And like do you remember being like, oh, I guess I'm this, I guess I'm that because this is what everyone sees me as.
Speaker 8: Yes, I did, I very much do so, Like after Munchies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love you know, I.
Speaker 3: Was doing like little episode.
Speaker 8: I was doing step by step and just like all these little guest parks always kind of as like the Nerdy Friend or whatever. And then I did like the middle version of Freaky Friday again the Nerdy Friend, and like just remembering being on set in the like glasses and the pigtails and like they just love to put me in pigtails for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: And that was an interesting one too.
Speaker 8: I think that's when I really started to like like pay attention to it. Because we had Andrew Keegan in the movie. We had Marlowe all of these people that were so cool, and I was like, wow, I am not that I'm not that cool. And then I got Alex Mack and.
Speaker 2: With Larissa o'linik, another one of our favorites.
Speaker 3: Yes, and uh.
Speaker 8: So Alex Mack was like an arduous process for me. I had gone up for the sister you know quite a few times and took it all the way to test. Same with with Alex the part for Alex. Then they shot the pilot, recast the entire thing brought me back saying Sister Alex didn't get it, got the call from my agent. They wrote apart just for you. All you have to do is go down there. I get down there to this same casting office that I had been to like ten million times, and I was over it.
Speaker 3: At this point. I was like, give it to me or not, but I'm.
Speaker 8: Not coming back after this and uh fifty girls there of course, but this one I ended up getting. But I remember the first episode I filmed, like instantly, you know, put me in this kind of weird like like hurt. The trajectory of her character and the growth of her character ended up being really cool, like something that I really leaned into towards the end of the last couple of seasons. But at first, you know, I was this eleven year old kid and I hadn't.
Speaker 3: Really had puberty yet.
Speaker 8: I had very very pale skin, bright orange hair, which you know, that's tough. That's like a tough one growing up like that. And I said this on another podcast too, when you're eleven years old with bright orange hair, pale skin. Just booked this series that we don't know if it's gonna make it or not, but it has the potential. You don't know that you're just like a few years away from like it's gonna be okay, You're gonna be pretty, gonna be cool, everything's gonna be fine, but you just don't know. And the character was so weird.
Speaker 3: She was so like.
Speaker 8: I've said, she's like the og original alt emo goth girl of Nickelodeon. Yeah, and this character there wasn't representation of these kind of kids that dressed like this and felt like this, and and so again it was one more time where I was like, well, no, I've accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. I booked a series and I'm in. I'm like part of the main cast. I'm a series regular and this could really go and I'm this weird kid again, you know. And so but I had pops throughout where, like I was booking these roles that weren't like that, like boy, me girl, babysitters club, like all of these different things that got me out of it a little bit. But even second season of Alex Mack, I would like run to my dressing room and put on like a little extra eyeliner or a little extra clipline something to like, you know, make myself feel a little bit better.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I definitely remember that.
Speaker 8: I mean I was I was type cast for sure, bad girl, nerdy girl, weird girl, golf girl.
Speaker 1: Right, anything but the main girl, right like that.
Speaker 8: But the main girl except for this really weird movie I did in Canada with Chauncey lea party where I played his girl. Yeah, and I was like I think I was fifteen or sixteen, and so there, you know, there was pops of it. There was pops of it.
Speaker 2: Well, don't forget Munchie where you were Munchy's girlfriend.
Speaker 8: No, and there's Munkey strikes back right.
Speaker 6: Right, she too?
Speaker 7: Exactly too, Yeah, I mean the ponytail, the pigtail glasses thing was such a ninety stroke.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it was such a way. She can't be pretty, she's got glasses. Like a minute, she has.
Speaker 7: A pony rail. She can't be pretty, and it is just such a thing. Yeah, it was such a thing where it was like it.
Speaker 8: Always had me like that until I forced them into different hairstyles like second season, where I started to like have more of a voice and kind of like advocate for myself a little bit more and be like, look, why.
Speaker 3: Is she'd always come on take them out, like we can do we.
Speaker 8: Can do better here, you know. And they started to listen to me and kind of let me aesthetically lean into this character in a way that felt a little bit more comfortable. I mean, there were still the nineties chokers and out in the very nineties goth outfits and all of that, but the hair got a little better, like she's an infourd season. I just showed up one day to set cut it all off.
Speaker 2: And I was like now what, yeah, now, what are you going to do?
Speaker 8: I was so rebellious towards the end of it because I'd been put in this box for so long, but yeah.
Speaker 5: Well you have been so open and inspirational talking about the struggles you faced in your teens and then it really finding its hold in your early twenties with substance abuse. It's obviously something very common with young actors who find early success, and we were hoping that you could share some of that aspect of your story. When did drugs and alcohol enter your life?
Speaker 8: So I I was probably like fifteen sixteen years old when I started drinking and just you know, smoking weed and doing like the things that we do as kids, and you know, at these oak Wood parties.
Speaker 3: I know you guys will understand them.
Speaker 8: Reference every weekend, like the second I was done working, I would just jam over there and like party all weekend. But it was so innocent and young, you know, and felt very like experimental and it wasn't a big deal. But you know, when it started to get really rough for me was around eighteen nineteen years old, and one of the best like pieces of advice I could ever give is like, really be careful who you surround yourself with, you know. And I kind of fell into a little bit of a rougher crowd, but all actors, so it felt safe. But it was like the next level of stuff that like was not going on at Oakwood, And you know, I didn't come from a home life that had any structure. There was a lot of chaos and alcoholism that in the home, and for me, being an actor was kind of like the first chapter of my life where I was able to like go somewhere and become somebody else, right, right, So, like everything that was going on at home, like when I was on set, that was my safe place. That's like all I had for safety. So as I started getting seventeen eighteen years old, and I started to look a little bit different, and no one could really figure out what box to put me in anymore. And I was getting these kind of like one off things like Baywatch and nine O two and zero and like all of these things. But I was growing into more and more a different look, and I cut all my hair off and dyed it like jet.
Speaker 3: Black and just rebellious, you know.
Speaker 8: And at a certain point people were like, we're not really sure what to do. Like the red hair was the thing, and the less parts I got, the more, you know, I internalized that and was really with the wrong group of people. And yeah, I developed a gnarly little heroin addiction, which is you know, which is really crazy, Like when I think about how all of that went down and like how fast it happened, And now as an adult understanding the disease of alcoholism and that it was inevitable for me, and it could have been any substance really, and this just happened to be the one that was introduced to me at a very young age. Which again it's like, be careful who you surround yourself with, but know that at seventeen, like we don't know that at eighteen, when I'm just this young kid, I have all this money, I'm like kind of famous, hanging out with all these famous people, and someone's like, here, do you want to try this? And instantly it takes away like every feeling of self doubt you've ever had in your entire life. And it instantly takes away all the pain of like coming from a very from very tortured parents themselves, and it instantly takes away all of these things. And it didn't matter anymore if I had had pigtails in Alex Mack, or if I had you know, glasses and boy Meets World or none of that mattered anymore.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so that was rough.
Speaker 8: So I spent all of my twenties, you know, suffering with active addiction, and then figured it out in my thirties, and god bless was able to turn around. And I know it's like a very cliche child star story. Mom steals all the money at eighteen, girl gets strung out on heroin blah blah blah blah blah. But also I think that what's not talked about enough too is that some people do go through that and then make it out. Yeah really, you know that to me is like, because people are fascinated by this story of a young child star that had all this recognition and then is strung out on like what you know, we would deem as one of the worst things ever to get involved with, right and and but what's not talked about more often is that some people make.
Speaker 3: It out of that.
Speaker 8: And I'm trying to advocate for those people too, because a lot of kids that get fed up like that because of you know, whatever it is. I don't want to blame it on child acting because I don't know that that's really, uh the cause by any means, but you know, so, yeah, so when I turned thirty, and believe me, I had many bouts in my twenties of trying to get clean and going to rehab and like trying to figure it out. And at thirty, I just I kind of hit like a different kind of spiritual bottom that I'd never hit before and really understood that if I didn't get this now, that I wasn't gonna make it.
Speaker 3: Like I knew that.
Speaker 8: So, yeah, now I'm forty one. Wow, And I spent the last decade of my life like figuring out who I was and like more importantly than that, being okay with who that girl was. Because I haven't acted in a long time. I just started acting again and I had to like be okay that my identity wasn't about being famous anymore or this or that and that, and that I had to let I had to learn how to trust people that they really liked me for who I was, and you know, and I finally figured out kind of how to forgive the girl that was in her twenties that was just doing the best that she could, yeah, without having really had proper guidance or structure, and like forgive that girl and tell her that it was okay, so that this woman could keep going.
Speaker 5: You know what, an inspirational story. I mean, you know, we talk about it even on a very on a such a minor, little superficial level, that none of us have any real like style or fashion sense because from the time we were young, we just handed that over to somebody else and just said, Okay, you tell me what to wear, and you tell me what's fashionable, you tell me what's in.
Speaker 2: And I'm listening to your story.
Speaker 5: And what I'm realizing and thinking about is that for child actors, you hand over so much of your identity to other people.
Speaker 2: You tell me who I am, you tell me what box I check.
Speaker 5: You tell me what because because the roles that I'm booking must say something about who I am. And so it's so that can be something that is depending on which boxes people tell you you're checking. You know, you can't expect an eleven year old to have a sense of identity or a sense of self. You know, you haven't had a check to develop that yet. And so for you to have spent your all of your teens being told who you were and to be feeling like I reject some of that, but I don't know how to process it and then to really you know, it makes sense that for so many people you deal with it by self medicating.
Speaker 6: I think there's also something to chasing the rush.
Speaker 7: You know, you're on stage one night in front of an audience and you're popular and important and it matters, and then the next day the show is canceled and it's gone right, And for some people, they never get that rush back, so they look for other places. You know, It's that I always said that that being in front of the audience was quote unquote like my drug.
Speaker 6: You get this this.
Speaker 7: Rush from being there, from the feeling of being important, how fake it is, whether it's real or not, it's really you, and all of a sudden, it's gone one day and you do it.
Speaker 6: You can to chase it for some people.
Speaker 7: So it's I mean that being said, we also have to acknowledge that there's you know, millions of people out there that struggle with addiction that aren't in the entertainment industry. I know, you know, my one of my oldest friends I lost to heroin overdose six six years ago, and it's hard to pull out of and you watch the decline and it's just to see how well you're doing now.
Speaker 6: I mean, I've seen the descent.
Speaker 7: So to see somebody kind of pull out of it and have the life that you do is really a testament because you're right, there isn't enough said about the people that can pull themselves out of it. But that being said, that's a small percentage of people that do. I mean, the recidivism rate for especially heroin addiction is brutal. You're right, So that's a testament to you as well to the strength you found to be able to pull yourself out of that.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And I think that I, you know, probably started suffering with mental health issues that were undiagnosed, unmedicated when I was young, like really young. I always remember like waking up feeling really heartbroken and I couldn't quite pinpoint like what that meant when my life was so cool on the outside to like, you know, I was like, well, I just felt things so deeply, and I was just continuously told like, you're an EmPATH, You're a deep child. You feel the hard you know. And in the nineties, we didn't talk about this kind of thing the way we're able to talk about it now. And I actually work in treatment now, which is such a one ad. I mean, it's like if you would ask me at twenty years old, if this is what my life would look like. But you know, I'm a director in a drug and alcohol treatment facility, so I helped getting people you know, on a daily if not you know, every other day basis, and so, like what Will was saying, the rate of people that make it is very low, is very very low, And so I guess it kind of poses the question to those of us who have been blessed and graced enough to like make it through that type of a chapter in our lives, like how do you maintain that?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 8: Like how do you make sure? And I think for me, the secret to the success of it. You know, a lot of people obviously want to ask me, like, well, how do you do it? Like how do I do it? Like what should I do? And I think the best thing that's worked for me because my whole life has been spent thinking about me. All I do is think about me, right, Like how did that make me feel? Like how do I look?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: What's going on with me? And what can my next move? And all of that?
Speaker 8: And the second I like let all of that go, and I really understood the concept of the more I think about you, the less I think about me, right, everything changed, Everything changed for me, you know, And to lead with a heart of service and to go out into the world and be of service in whatever ways you can be, and there's a million ways to do it. Sometimes it's just picking up the phone when.
Speaker 3: A friend needs your help.
Speaker 8: Will like continue to sustain that type of like a spiritual levity, so to speak, and like pay back kind of the karma of like all the things I did when I was in my twenties and so anyway, Yeah, I listened to the episode you guys did with Danny, and it really like I could get emotional thinking about it because I really just understood, like I felt that on a very deep level, and I thought that was really brave, like how open he was about it. And I think that the more open we can be and the more conversations we can have like this, especially for those of us who people have watched our whole lives, right, Like, I still have fans that are like I've been you know, I had your AOL.
Speaker 3: What I mean, I'm like what you know?
Speaker 7: And first of all, easy, I'm still AOL's careful what we're gonna say.
Speaker 8: Watching from like that long, you know, and so although it has been made very very shameful thing, it's not.
Speaker 3: It's really not like let's just talk about it, you know, well, but he has something, you know.
Speaker 7: That's why nothing, almost nothing helps more than talking about it. Just talking about it, because you invariably find half of the people you're talking to deal with something as well, and there's just that safety and knowing you're not alone, that's right, that's kind of can help to start the process. So, yeah, any time you talk about it, is it better?
Speaker 6: It really does does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to just really briefly touch on the fact because it's it's something a few of our guests have mentioned, but we've never really dived too deeply into it. What was the situation with your finances been at eighteen? How you you you very casually mentioned that your mom stole all your money?
Speaker 2: How did what was that situation?
Speaker 4: So this happens way more than We've had a lot of guests on air but also off air talk about this.
Speaker 7: We know so many actors, yeah, so many, it's it's it is a common common story.
Speaker 6: With child actors. Unfortunately, it's also that this.
Speaker 8: Happens incredible that the parents figure out how to do this also, but so we were from New York. We moved out here to do that show Billy, and I think my mom realized very quickly, like how much actors get taxed when she heard how much I was going to make per episode and then saw the checks and she was like, what the hell. So she incorporated me at like ten years old, So I became a ten ninety nine as opposed to Natania Ross and all SAG checks went to corporation named it Red Hair Blue Eyes. Like I want to die inside every time I say that out loud. So everything went to Red Hair Blue Eyes.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Right, And it's not taxed, it's it goes basically, I mean a little bit different.
Speaker 8: It's corporate tax through a corporation, so it's it's a lot.
Speaker 6: Better tax at the end of the year. It's a whole different thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, different thing.
Speaker 8: And because of the minor I couldn't be an officer of the company. So my mom was able to make herself president, vice president, secretary.
Speaker 3: This that herself the salary.
Speaker 8: So until I turned about twenty, actually I was the sole breadwinner of the family. So there's that aspect where I'm paying all the bills, all of this, all of that, and then like beyond right, like there's facelifts happening, and there's nails getting done and there's all that kind of stuff. But I'm not you know, I'm a kid, and I think I'm like, I'm a multi multi multip I you have no idea.
Speaker 5: I used to I used to jokingly say, oh, I know I make money, it's just somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I never saw it exactly.
Speaker 8: So then I turned eighteen, and I got everything that was in the Cougan account because remember I started actually six months old, so there was a decent amount there, but there was a lot more.
Speaker 6: And uh, it was very The Cougan account is twenty five?
Speaker 3: Is it twenty five?
Speaker 6: I thought, I think it's whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Fifteen, yeah, fifteen, twenteen, fifteen.
Speaker 5: I think at some point it became twenty five, but originally fifteen.
Speaker 8: But remember too, once I turned ten years old, nothing else was taken for the Cougan account because I was now now incorporated a boy, Alex, Matt, all the big ones. That nothing went into the Cougan account. So I turn eighteen, and now it becomes very easy to tell me, like, well, I'm not giving you any money. You have a drug problem very and then it's like, well, I need money to like get help for this drug problem. And it's like all right, I mean, I guess we could try and move it. And then, you know, I went to rehab and I was desperate. You know, I was a young kid who was very aware that I had a major issue already at like twenty two years old, and it had just been a few years before that I was acting, and I was working, working actor all the time, never stopping, and so I was like, this is it. I'm going to try and fix this right now so i can get my life back. And you know, when you're in a situation like that, you're very vulnerable and people all of a sudden start to have power over you. And I was told that I could get the help that I needed if I signed a power of attorney. I did, you know, And while I was that rehab stint, while I was in the house I had helped buy for my mom, all of the stuff was no longer no longer belonged to me. So throughout that decade, I'm sure a lot of that goes into like why I had to just keep numbing myself to the point of like.
Speaker 3: Being able to think.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I mean it was that was the situation. And then, you know, years later, I'd be like, hey, let me get that.
Speaker 3: Money, and it's like, I don't want money.
Speaker 8: I don't know what money. You're dying. You didn't make as much as you thought, And it was just like a series of gas lights that just got to the point where, you know, even the residuals I would I would go on this really weird downward spiral where I would say, hey, can I get some of my residuals? Oh, you haven't gotten any residuals. I would call SAG and they'll list for you the last twenty you got with the amounts, and I write everything down and take it back. I don't know, and I just I couldn't take it anymore. And when I got sober at thirty, like for real, for real, got sober at thirty, I had to make the decision that if I held onto that for one more second, it's like me drinking poison and expecting someone else to die right right, And for what reason? If she needed it that bad, she can have it, you know, she can have it. It's crazy me and my now husband. But when he was my boy friend, we moved into this apartment and I think it was like the first time I had done a change of address in forever, like a real proper change of address, and all of a sudden, all these residual checks start coming in. Boy meets World being one of the best actually, and they just started rolling in and I was like, well, look at that, right, it's crazy. And but the lesson it taught me to and it's probably made me very irresponsible with money, to be honest, because I just don't care about it because I just can't ever have it, like be this thing in my life anymore where I'm so like, oh my god, who's doing you know, I'm just like, you want money, you can have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go, let's go on this.
Speaker 8: Vacation, like who cares, Let's just live and have fun and not worry about money. So in that sense, I think it's done. It's a little irresponsible of me at times, for sure, but also, you know, it's taught me that the value of what money actually means, and it means, you know, fractured relationships. It's different for me than it is for most people. But that, Yeah, that's my story. It's really crazy to think about it, you know now as an adult of like just how much young child actors get taken advantage of and unfortunately some of us by our own family.
Speaker 5: Natania, I want you to know that that like hearing you talk about all of that and the way you know, I just want you to know that one of the things I'm taking away from your experience is that.
Speaker 2: Money comes and money.
Speaker 5: Goes, and it in your life has not at all represented success. You are such a success and you are so inspirational, and whether when the money has been there, when the money has not been there, it has had no bearing on you turning out to be the wonderful and amazing person that you are, and so that real like you can you can frame it however you want, but like I'm looking at it and I say, you don't have to have a choke hold on it, because ultimately it hasn't it hasn't been what you've had to base your life on. And I'm just I'm so proud of you, and I'm so inspired by you, and I'm so grateful that you came and shared your experiences here with us, and thank you also for all the work you do with other people who are in, you know, the same shoes you were in more than a decade ago, and for leading with that heart of service that you that you do and the impact that you make on people. Because no matter how many times people come up to you and remember you from Boy Meets World or Alex Mack or Munchie or whatever it is, MUNCHI too, Munchi too, the real, like your real impact is going to be with those people whose life you have absolutely changed. And just thank you so much for being here with us.
Speaker 3: Thank you. This was awesome, so fun.
Speaker 2: So much fun.
Speaker 5: I I'm bummed I wasn't in that Albuquerque. Uh I wasn't at that Albuquerque con, but I hope that Let's go.
Speaker 1: It was a genuinely good time. It was like it was. It was a pretty empty con, so we just all got to hang.
Speaker 6: Out hanging out.
Speaker 7: Yes, we're just all hanging out paper planes across the thing and each other.
Speaker 1: And the Sandlog guys are a crazy bunch.
Speaker 4: That was really like to witness their dynamic and like, I know, Natanya, you've been around them for a while because you know it's just like, oh, this is a fun it's a whole, it's a whole Seaton.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I want to be at the next one. So thank you again, Natanya. It was really wonderful talking to you and catching up and I hope to see you again soon me too.
Speaker 2: Than Bi. Wow, what a life, what a story.
Speaker 7: It's the thing that that amazes me is it would be so easy to be horribly bitter right right about everything you've been through. I like every oh, this business was horrible, my family was horrible, my addiction was horrible.
Speaker 6: And instead she turned it all around, is like no, I'm just gonna help other people.
Speaker 4: She's so and she's like, I mean when we saw her at the con, she just walked right up to us and gave us a big hug and has like nothing but positive and just wants to know about our life and she's so kind, and yeah, she's not bitter, she's not cynical, and she's not even against like it's so I mean, it's so impressive that she doesn't even blame the industry or child actor dumb now, you know, because that can basically be one source of like, well then everything's a problem, you know. I'm like no, She's like, no, I still like could she wants to get back into acting. She's acting like and can talk about it so positively. It's like, that's that's really.
Speaker 7: Awesome, hugely inspirational. Yeah, it really is. It's just it's yeah, it's really incredible. It really is.
Speaker 6: But man, having your money stolen from your your your family is just a story we keep hearing over it. I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think what I'm fortunately happens is like if a kid is talented, right, whether that be acting or sports or whatever, right that that that can become just an escape valve for a parent, you know, like I can make my entire life better by by this kid.
Speaker 1: And you know, like I remember too, like there's this pattern.
Speaker 4: And I you know, I'm not sure this is Natania's pattern at all, but there was also a pattern that I remember there was a lot of moms in particular, but parents, but moms in particular who basically were using.
Speaker 1: Their kid as a child actor to get a divorce. Like do you guys remember that.
Speaker 4: It would be like somebody who's like, oh, I've left, you know, they moved to LA from wherever they are to get away from their husband, and it was just like a way to sort of slowly, you know, break up with their partner. But it became like, oh, I'm I'm here to support my kid's career. But in reality it was like, well, you're going through your own stuff and your kid, your kids acting career is just an excuse for you to break away and like start your own life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I hope that that happens less because I remember that was like at the oak Wood there would be all these moms.
Speaker 1: You'd be like, what was last time you saw your husband?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's yeah, the whole it's so strange, it all.
Speaker 7: It's all just kinds of We've talked about nature versus nurture on this podcast a lot, and it all seems to kind of come down to the home you grew up in, just how you were raised, what you were raised around, who you were raised by.
Speaker 6: I mean, it makes a huge difference, it really does.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, Well, I'm glad.
Speaker 5: I'm glad I asked her about that, because, like I said, we've had a few people like allude to it or mention it, and then we've never really spent the time actually talking about how that happens. Uh Man, isn't that crazy too that just like the change of address, and then all of a sudden the checks started coming to her.
Speaker 6: Start rolling in. What you know, it's pretty incredible.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we have Merch Merch.
Speaker 6: Too Back in Time or whatever that movie was called that you merch.
Speaker 5: Two strike MERGI twos strike two MERG two strikes back.
Speaker 7: That's what it is.
Speaker 5: Yes, and last, but most certainly not least. If you are looking for help with addiction, there is confidential free help to fine treatment and information at one eight hundred sixty six two four three five seven writer send us out.
Speaker 1: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfernell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbox producer, Jackie Rodriguez, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan. Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. You can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or send us an email at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com.