Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break? Yes? Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It is Thursday December nineteenth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number eighty nine. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by lglg's the world's number one O lead TV brand for eleven years in counting See why at LG dot Com. Forward slash O led Evo. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 2: Everybody good?
Speaker 7: It's one of my favorite football weekends of the year because you have Texas high school football state championships. Now you throw in the college football Playoff first round.
Speaker 2: It's great Saturday. Time to be a live I saw some moody teeth this this morning Saturday. That lineup of football between college and pro like, I don't even know how I'm gonnatch, but Saturday the games or the game Friday? Inside, I thought they were Saturday.
Speaker 8: And Friday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
Speaker 2: Oh there's something Saturdays.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm sad my guy, Craig Waye is not gonna be able to call the the sixth day, the six A final.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he's got who's in the six A final?
Speaker 4: Who's got your sixth question?
Speaker 7: Probably Ted Emrick or not said who's in the North Crowley and Austin West Laker in six A D one?
Speaker 2: Nor Crowley is a team to be Dunkncanville? Right? Which is this? That is the standard? Yes? High school football in Texas.
Speaker 8: Six A D two is Southlake Carroll and Austin Vandergrift.
Speaker 3: Okay, I cannot imagine keeping up with high school football.
Speaker 4: This man did it pretty well for a long time.
Speaker 7: It's it's because it's a passion of mine. That's that's why I keep up with it. It's it used to be working. Now it was just a passion.
Speaker 2: It's a It's also why on this show we randomly are like, he'll talk, we'll talk about something. He'll be like, oh, and by the way, this guy came up in.
Speaker 8: This small draft, the Draft show Texas.
Speaker 2: He's all over it.
Speaker 4: Am I a bad guy?
Speaker 6: I I can tell a real quick stormed by a guy's coming in the complex today.
Speaker 4: And yes at a young man. Uh he hit a football.
Speaker 6: Okay, he was throwing it around and he was acting like he was running with it. I knocked the ball out of his hands.
Speaker 2: Wow. How young.
Speaker 4: He's probably like thirteen fourteen years old.
Speaker 2: But he killed his hopes and dreams.
Speaker 6: But he was, but he was he was acting like so I did a maris lea foul like he was running with the ball and I went boom and I knocked it out of his hands on the ground and go gotcha.
Speaker 4: And he's like, oh, he's like he was.
Speaker 8: Kind of it will hurt you.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 6: I just yeah, the kid was kind of like playing. He was playing with the ball and then he was acting like he was running. But then I caused a fumble coming into the building. Is that bad? Is that it's bad?
Speaker 8: Yes, It's only a good thing.
Speaker 4: It taught him, taught him secure the ball.
Speaker 7: It's only a good thing to a ball scurity shop security. If you say that, then it's okay. He's smiling, he's smidstand.
Speaker 6: But yeah, like I pulled the mareslia fell on him like he was running and he kind of went by me and I just went boom and I knocked it and he went to the ground and I and I turned gotcha and he smiled about it. He picked it up his buddies and like we're starting to laugh at himself. But he was doing the ball security like he was running like he was like he was running through the building.
Speaker 2: It just reminds me of the program that scene with it, Hey, you got to learn, you got ball And he's like the coaches like I was the hell of a run. Imagine what it would be like if we still had the ball.
Speaker 4: You remember that?
Speaker 2: And then now I want you to hold onto this ball for the next week on camp.
Speaker 6: Now he's walking around campus with the ball, but he.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he deserved it.
Speaker 4: You talk about the turnovers, Ambar can't have turnovers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but not to a stranger that's just trying to live out his childhood out here.
Speaker 2: And got to learn.
Speaker 6: Man, one day, that kid's gonna thank Nick's gonna let's him a sideline reporter.
Speaker 4: He's gonna go.
Speaker 2: We gotta protect the ball.
Speaker 6: One time I was coming out of the Star and this ball dude knocked the ball out of my hand.
Speaker 4: And you know here I am. I never fumbled again, Yeah, never fumbled again.
Speaker 2: Then he goes on to be the greatest running back in the issue of the interview. You go all the time, Ryan knocked the ball there, you go, good job, Ron.
Speaker 4: Thank you. All right.
Speaker 6: Hey, if you visit the Star, you never know what's gonna happen. You gotta be ready for everything that's tracks. Yeah, you gotta be ready.
Speaker 4: We live that. We we work here every day. We live that. Yeah, be ready. You ever know when someone's gona knock the ball out here?
Speaker 2: Okay, another episode?
Speaker 6: Your popcorn out of the tub, Just dig right into it. Remember that, mbarah, I remember that.
Speaker 2: Let's get it up there.
Speaker 9: We shall further discuss that.
Speaker 2: Let's get an update on some injuries. There are a few that jumped out to me that that I figured we should talk about. TJ. Bass, Jumi Edoga, Mazzie Smith all did not practice yesterday with varying injuries. What do you know about those three and the chances that they will be out this week when the Cowboys take the fill on Sunday?
Speaker 8: Rub me through the Three, you're talking about TJ.
Speaker 2: Bass, Jumi Edoga, and Mazzie Smith.
Speaker 7: Yeah, looking at TJ. Bass, that's probably the only one I have an update. Four is McCarthy said yesterday that he's going to have a chance to go, So it's I don't think it was necessarily as serious as they initially thought. They were thinking maybe a two week type situation, but that he has a chance to go on Sunday. As far as Adoga and Mazzie Smith, I'll have to refer to my guy to the right to see if he has.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't have anything updated on that. I'll try and grab us something as we go along here. I have not heard back on those, but yeah, the one also too with the with it being a Wednesday, you know, and you got a lot of these guys that aren't used to playing or hadn't been playing, and now they're kind of veteran players, so you might you're like, maybe the guys that aren't used to playing, all of a sudden, it's like, oh man, I'm not it's feeling great about four weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Now I'm not feeling so great.
Speaker 6: So maybe that, But I'll rally on the other ones and we'll have an answer before we get out of here.
Speaker 2: A couple others that stood out to me for good reasons. Jordan Lewis, who have the elbow injury.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: He said after the game he thought he was gonna be okay, but obviously he didn't know for sure. It looked like he was in a lot of pain there on the field. He had limited participation there, so I would assume that's looking good. And then obviously Cooper Bebee uh center for the Cowboys with the concussion he missed last week's game, he was a full participant there you go yesterday. So that's a good thing. He's moving in the right direction. And certainly I guess at that point the TJ. Bass injury becomes a little less critical because you can now slide Hoffing back out to his spot at right right guard.
Speaker 7: One yea Thomas also back on the practice field. And passion limited capacity, limited capacity.
Speaker 6: You have no compassion for play, You have no compassion random. You gotta learn, man, gotta learn. The young age ball secure is important.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is, all right. Let's talk about.
Speaker 6: Once we're asking about we're asking about Mozzie Smith and Jima.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir right transaction yesterday or today, Cowboys sign Justin Rodgers to their active roster. He was a seventh round draft draft pick back in twenty twenty four. He's been on the Bengals practice squad. My question for you guys is, really, what did you see from him? He was in training camp with the Cowboys this last training camp. What did you see from him? And is this a move that you're excited about because of what you saw or was it the opposite.
Speaker 7: I don't know if it's necessarily excited, but he was a big guy. He definitely passed the eye test. He passed the all lobby test, I guess as they walked through.
Speaker 4: But getting off the bus.
Speaker 8: Getting off the bus test.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and he he had some moments at camp, don't get me wrong. I mean that that big frame at works and being able to fill up running lanes. But I was a little surprised that he didn't end up making the final cut.
Speaker 8: I will say that, but.
Speaker 7: I was surprised that he They even didn't even retain them to the practice squad either. Yeah, so that was that was a surprise overall. But getting him back in the building right before the season ends, I think that's that's kind of funny because there were a lot of fans that thought that they released Aaron Donald whenever he walked out of the building.
Speaker 4: So yeah, hey, you live that way too, Huh, he's back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I I kind of to me, I was surprised it wasn't the practice squad situation too. I was thinking, man, but I don't, like I said, I don't think I was in a situation either where I was really like blown away by the guy. I felt like, okay, but they were, they were rotating guys in, and they were trying to find guys, and you know, it just it to me it was a little bit of a strange maneuver that because it usually you find them, they'll they'll they'll find a way to protect their draft that way, and then in this case, they didn't.
Speaker 4: They didn't do that.
Speaker 6: So I was I was a little bit surprised he wasn't on the practice squad. But I don't remember it as one of those things where you know, gosh, I mean, this guy was the better of you know, the fact that they were going out and trying to get guys, I think probably probably tells you what they thought about him initially and now they're thinking about, Okay, well, next year we might not have Maybe this is more about the depth you know, going into next year than it is about maybe playing some games right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, in my opinion, it.
Speaker 2: Was his first camp. Did you see moments where he may have flashed that gave you hope that maybe he could develop a little bit more into the player that you need him to be a defensive tackle.
Speaker 7: You might have a different or anyone at this table might have a different opinion, but I think it's really hard for defensive tackles to flash in.
Speaker 8: A training camp type environment.
Speaker 7: It's tough for that position of flash in general, but especially in a training camp type environment. All you can really see is you know, pad level stuff, and you know how they're applying certain coaching points because you can hear it. You're right there, especially if you're listening to coach Jeff Scanino on the defensive line, you can definitely hear it. But I wouldn't say he necessarily flashed at any point, or there was any point in camp where I walked off the field and was.
Speaker 8: Like, man, you hussy.
Speaker 7: Justin Rogers today, Yeah, that's nothing against Justin Rodgers.
Speaker 3: No, are you on the ground or are you not?
Speaker 9: Are you standing or are you laying down on the floor?
Speaker 4: Think about it.
Speaker 6: Like I said, I I was just when they kept trying to roll guys through and I was like, Okay, this is fine.
Speaker 4: Let's let's keep going.
Speaker 6: Because I don't remember it as being something where we got down to the final fifty three and I was like going, well, gosh, they got to keep justin rodders. This there's a there's a debate here. I never I never got that that kind of a vibe. And so you know, they they're, like I say, they're in a situation. Maybe they're already thinking about they had a roster spot. They're looking at it like, well, okay, we're going to probably need some defensive lineman. Let's give this kid another shot. Let's instead of going out and maybe having to draft a guy or signed a guy as a free agent, you know, let's go poach a guy that we kind of liked a little bit, I mean, but not enough to keep around here. See this is where it bothers me a little bit. If like, okay, if you like the guy, to put him on the practice squad and you have him for the whole year and then maybe you have a little bit better understanding.
Speaker 2: Not just as for a point of clarity, when it comes to the practice squad. At that point it's his choice to you. If he wants to be on the other practice squad, can choose another one. And maybe he thought that was maybe that's what happened. He thought there was more opportunity here than what he saw here. Who knows, but there is that opportunity when you're not on the active roster.
Speaker 4: But he also has.
Speaker 6: Been in Cincinnati for a while, and so now he's got invested into them, and you know, Okay, I am I going to get a chance next year being here. The fact that he went ahead and jumped with three games three weeks to go, I need to check on the rules too. By him being on the active roster for three games, I think he gets credited for a year.
Speaker 2: For his pen That would be worth it.
Speaker 6: So to me, that's when that's when it becomes like, okay, wait, I've got three games. If he could be on the fifty three, even if he's inactive for three games, I think that he gets a year accredited to his pension. Yeah, And so you got to pick those up when you can.
Speaker 2: And he does get paid differently being on the active real question in the practical question. So a lot of this nice Christmas? This is a nice Christmas.
Speaker 6: No, absolutely, yeah, I mean it's a the team gets a guy they're familiar with. He potentially, I believe, gets a I've got to I don't understand the system like I used to. But he could get a credited year which helps to getting the three years and then getting fully vested. That's important, ye and then also too that maybe next year he can come into training camp and be ready to go and better compete.
Speaker 2: Yep. All right, let's take our first break. When we come back, we dive into the Tampa Bay defense. We talked about that offense yesterday. Deefn's a little different story. There's some challenges there for them, and I'll talk to you guys about how they match up with the Cowboys offense. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 11: D requires campable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you foody deals.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas take five oil change. A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 14: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style, stanand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco.
Speaker 8: Or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 14: Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 15: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yeti dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 3: Lgoledevo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com slash oledevo.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to second segment of the Break Life MESSWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. The segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, here we go. Tampa Bay Defense. They are right now ranked twenty seventh in total defense, thirtieth in past defense they have. This was one thing I thought was really interesting. They have the third highest blitz percentage. They're blitz yeah, thirty two point seven percent dropbacks, but they only have their only twenty. They're twenty first U in pressure percentage only twenty two point three. So they're blitzing a lot, they ain't getting home a lot. That being said, it when you see them blitz for as much as they blitz, are they running a lot of man. And that's why they're ending up in situations where when they don't get home they have the thirtieth ring pass defense because it's hard to stick around.
Speaker 6: With a man or what are you see? No, No, their defense gets killed when they don't blitz. That's their problem to me.
Speaker 2: So the other sixty sixty eight percent of.
Speaker 6: The yeah, this is this is, this is where I think this is, and and correct me if I'm wrong here, But I feel like they do have it.
Speaker 4: Really, they've they've they've had some really.
Speaker 6: Bad injuries to their secondary, Like you know, I know their general manager and so they.
Speaker 4: They've they've had some really really.
Speaker 6: Bad things that they've had to deal with injury wise in the secondary, not having winfield play.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, they've they've dealt.
Speaker 6: With They've they've had to kind of shuffle some guys around. Uh, this Christian Eisen who plays safety for him, had to play corner in a game. They've had some they've had some situations. They're a team that also plays a lot of off coverage. Remember we were talking about Carolina last week, and you watch them play and I'm watching Zion McCollum the corner and the first three play it's out route, out, route, outround. They just keep giving up plays. But they've they've had they've had some problems in their secondary. Their their front could give you problems, you know, uh, you know, can't see they David is a blitzer as a linebacker. You know, They've they've got some guys that can can cause some problems, but they just have not Their secondary just has not been I don't think it's healthy. Antoine Winfield, I mean there's questions whether he'll play this week. You know, just kind of talking to some folks down there in Tampa and and that's been a big, big problem over there. But they're they're trying to kind of mix and match with some guys. They got a rookie this Tyke smith Is is a rookie that they drafted and they've had to play them at nickel and he started off kind of slow, but he's gotten better. They've their health and their secondary has improved. I think it's a lot like Dallas. Dallas's numbers were so bad from the initial part of the of the season when the season started that they're digging out and I think Tampa is a little bit of that that way too.
Speaker 2: So you say they're better than their Yeah, I think their numbers are.
Speaker 6: I think their team is better defensively. And I noticed another thing when you watch their tape. There's not a lot of run after catch with these guys. You know, there's like to me, it's like it's completion its tackle. It's completion its tackle. They're one of the better teams in the league, I think when it comes to the ones I've seen, when it comes to making place after the balls in someone's hands.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think from a pass rush perspective, I spent a lot of time on their pass rush and where exactly it's coming from, how they succeed with it. It comes from the interior completely. It's it's Vidave and Colijah Cansi. Those are the two guys that you have to look at now. Yah Yah Diyabi he was a third round pick up.
Speaker 4: Diaby's got the most pressures of the on their own.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and he he makes it happen off the edge too.
Speaker 7: He he was a Rookie of the Year candidate, defensive Rookie of Year candidate last year, the third round pick out of Louisville a couple of years ago. Really talented athletic speed rusher, but can also use his power as well. He gets he affects the play more than those two guys. But those two guys get home more than dab Dabi does. So yeah, Klijah Knsi, Vidavea, these are two very talented interior defensive line when we've talked about Veya for years, but Kancy is starting to emerge in his own right. And I just think it's funny to point out Kalijah Cansi was a twenty twenty three defensive tackle drafted in the second round.
Speaker 4: So yeah, all right.
Speaker 6: Which, well, I'll say this though too about this team where you have to be alert on these guys. Is the linebacker blitz with with Levonte, with David, you also have nobody blitzes more from the secondary than these guys. So all of a sudden, yea, And what happens is you got a quarterback that averages like four point eight yards of completion when he's getting blitz or feeling pressure.
Speaker 4: And if I'm if and they're gonna they're gonna blitz. We know this, they're gonna blitz.
Speaker 6: Because, like I say, they probably don't feel like their secondary could hold up.
Speaker 4: But honestly, the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Have got one guy that you feel like can win on the outside.
Speaker 4: I know I do.
Speaker 6: I mean I you say what you want about cooks and stuff like that, But if if say Dak was playing this game, I'd feel so much better because of what you're gonna see blitz wise, I feel like, I don't know if Cooper Rush is necessarily going to handle what's about to happen, their pressure in the middle and then their ability to their linebacker blitz, their secondary blitz and you know the coverage can't and he handles that. If Dak is playing in this game, you feel so much better about Sure, bring the blitz.
Speaker 4: But do you have anybody this game could come down for Dallas? Can you? Can you?
Speaker 6: Do you have anybody on the outside other than Lamb that can win and make plays for you?
Speaker 2: Well, you said earlier that they tend to play a lot of off coverage.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, that's Carol.
Speaker 2: Opportunities. It gives you opportunities. You can recognize it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you saw last week. He saw that too, and what happened.
Speaker 6: Tolbert has one reception Burks have. Yeah, they're big receptions. That's touchdown touchdown. Sure, if you can get one receptions a touchdown. But they're going to have to find a way. What's really funny about this team too, is against the run. They're a better run defense without Vidave on the field, like when he's off the field. Like when he's off the field, they play better run defense when he's on the field. And what teams will do everybody runs the ball in the edge against these guys is what they do. You can watch it. I was like, okay, how do teams how they stay away from Vida Vea? You know, I was thinking he's just going to kill the game. But the teams run the ball like Dallas is. Everybody in the league runs the ball on Dallas on the edge. It's like the fourth team in the league when it comes to teams running the ball on the outside. But what does Dallas do when they run the ball? It goes inside. The majority of their runs are inside. Maybe this is a situation where all of a sudden you see a little bit more with what we saw with Turpin, those types of you know, I mean, if you can get your tight ends to block, if you get you know, you get steel and whoever's playing right, you know, right guard Hoffman this week and maybe you can get a little bit of what you had going because, like I say, inside, it's it's it's a monster.
Speaker 4: That dude.
Speaker 6: Inside is a big, large man and he doesn't you don't move him all that well. But it's funny that I'm like, I was just curious. I was like, I think they got to be better with him on the field.
Speaker 4: They weren't.
Speaker 6: The statistics say that they're not better run defensive wise with him on the fields off I.
Speaker 7: Think the run defense starts and ends with one guy, and it's Levante.
Speaker 4: David makes every tackle.
Speaker 7: If they can figure out a way to get into the second level and disrupt him, I think they can find some running lanes.
Speaker 8: But he's just such a game wreckerd.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You look at what Rico Dwell has done and what he did this last game, twenty five carries for one hundred and forty nine yards. After the game, he talked about it. I think McCarthy has talked about it. This is really the game plan they think favors them right now and gives them the best chance to win, which is really relying on the run. Something we all have been saying for a minute here. But that being said, is this a game where you look at it and you say that's what you should do or do the numbers kind of deceive you into thinking this is a pass defense you can throw against, when really it's just as tough to throw against these guys that it may be to run against them.
Speaker 7: I think there's different schools of thought that I think could work here, because on one hand, you would like to keep the ball out of the hands of that offense, and so you would like to try to find some consistency running the football. I think if this were me, I would still come out in the first quarter trying to run the football and trying to find some ways to control the time and possession early on. And if that doesn't work, then you know you have some things in the in the passing game that can work. You would assume by that point you would need the passing game to get you back into back into the game, because this offense telling you it's gonna score it will. I don't have a ton of confidence in this defense being able to stop this offense.
Speaker 6: Cincinnati liked you in this game a little bit. Is it like Cincinnati playing the Bengals a little bit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it is that feeling that you have.
Speaker 2: Are they that good? I mean, because Cincinnati we're talking about one. We're talking about one of them.
Speaker 4: This offensive lines better in Cincinnati's offensive line.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is, when you talk about Cincinnati, youre talking about one of the top three quarterbacks in the league. You're talking about an easy top five wide receiver in the league, and his second guy can be probably top fifteen. You're talking about a lot of really really great talent. I know, Mike Evans, is that the Baker Mayfield that I don't think I would put him up?
Speaker 8: Like more talent spread around?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have more guys.
Speaker 7: It's not as powerful as I was like Burrow and Chase. Absolutely, but you have two running backs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't have said the Bengals had anybody.
Speaker 2: It's the volume you're saying. The volume people. You got to keep up.
Speaker 8: Hot and tied, you know, like Bryan' said, the offensive line is much better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the offensive line is much better than than what you saw at Cincinnati. Their holes in Cincinnati's offensive line, there's not that many holes in what Tampa does with their offensive line. Quarterback's accurate. He's gonna he's not gonna hold the ball. You know, Burrow is gonna make They're gonna try and make plays down the field. This guy's not. This guy's a seventy one passer, and so he's he's doing something right. Uh, if I could circle back about the defense real quick. We talked about running the football, and I always look at explosive runs. It's team's fourth best in the league. And not allowing explosive runs, you know, they're not going to they they they're they're they're like they're they.
Speaker 4: Don't allow run.
Speaker 6: They give you run the allow yards before contact, but after contact, boom, they're making tackles. So this is like I was just curious again, nineteen percent of all runs.
Speaker 4: They face get stuck.
Speaker 6: That's no yards, you know, no yards or zero yards or less, you know, a care negative yards nineteen percent of your runs. So that way, so it's a pretty significant number right there. And then then don't allow explosive runs. They're going to make They're going to make Dallas have to travel.
Speaker 4: In this game.
Speaker 6: You know, we'll see, we'll see if their secondary can hold up. But the thing that concerns me the most is if they start blitzing, because they have guys like I say, they have guys like that, they and they run the games like Dallas does. It's the twist fronts, movement fronts, things like that. Can Dallas sort all that out in this football game? And we've seen a little bit with Cooper Rush that sometimes when it gets kind of muddy in there, he'll just go down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's what worries me the most about about this kind of setup is he doesn't seem to have much movement to him. And when you got a team that likes to blitz, they know where he's gonna be. He's not moving around a lot, and that tends to create some issues. And I don't think he's always at his best when he's having to move around or when he's facing that kind of pressure, So that it does worry a little bit. All Right, We're gonna take our final break when we come back. I got some bigger picture questions about this matchup Dallas versus Tampa Bay. We'll talk about some players that you think for Dallas, that you think must have a great game in order for Dallas have a chance. We'll talk about that when we come back. This is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 16: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Than on an lg O lead Evo TV.
Speaker 16: That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 1: No one comes close.
Speaker 16: Lg O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 2: See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 17: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agin Turr offers a winning lineup of John Dear equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 7: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 8: The wins will be even taste here.
Speaker 4: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: And we're going to overtime. Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 18: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Slash Erica by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica respondses me very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored, Quality assurance, message, data dates, Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop it running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew AT and T five G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 9: AT and tnnecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Are you reading that?
Speaker 9: Why would I read that?
Speaker 3: That's the one thing I can say for certain. A D and T connecting changes absolutely everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. It is the final segment of the break from WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. Here is what we're going to do. We got this final segment. We got to get the picks here before we end the show because this is our last show for the week and has some fun stuff for our crew. Well not you guys, but all other the rest of our crew.
Speaker 4: Care about us for our first times after seventeen weeks. Then we broke.
Speaker 2: We did, you did, and so you guys are more than welcome to just kind of jump on and talk tomorrow. Let me do it on Twitter. I don't know do Twitter spaces and uh and present the break on Twitter spaces. But uh so here's we're going to do. We got this last segment. We want to get into kind of what you guys are thinking about this game and the overall matchups. Let's start first with this question. Which Dallas defender do you think has to have a great game in order for Dallas to have their best chance to win.
Speaker 8: AMMANI or Warrior.
Speaker 4: I think whoever starts at left corner.
Speaker 7: Yeah, whoever started, whether it be him or Israel mcwamu, right, Yeah, they got to have two corners in this game that can play and be ready to go.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 4: I totally agree.
Speaker 2: You said defender, right, yep, Cowboys defender.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, that's a good answer, I would say, because even when you look at the different guys that are creating pressure, there's so many options that the Cowboys are have been able to utilize in the like defensive line, the linebackers as well.
Speaker 9: So I think probably a cornerback would.
Speaker 4: Be the can I give you?
Speaker 6: Can I give you one a sure marys Leafel, That's where I was going, And I think Mars Lael because of how much they throw the ball to the backs. So if you get Mike Evans is your big time playmaker, but these backs are big time playmakers too. And if they saw what Cincinnati did to you throwing the ball to their guy, they're going to throw the ball to Irving in White and they're going to make Mary foul playing this game.
Speaker 2: Yep. And I'll even throw this in. I think when you think about if net standpoint, if you're facing a team where you feel like the offense is a real beast to defend and you know they're going to get their plays, what equalizes that, in my opinion at times is turnovers. And so if you've got playmakers who can create turnovers. Where we look at Maris and that seems to be maybe at least a part of his game where he can create some of those turnovers. If he has that kind of great game, that could be the equalizer because you know you're gonna give up something. This is not going to be a game. We're going to shut them down completely. The turnovers will make a difference, and I think a guy like him could do that. Mike is another one. I know we kind of it's easy, that's an easy answer to say, but if Mike can get to the quarterback and create some turnovers, because we know Baker Mayfield will fumble it, if he can create some turnovers there, that also can change this game. So I would look at those two guys. I know the cornerback is extremely important, but I would also look at those guys as very important to this game.
Speaker 8: That was my stat. Baker Mayfield leads the NFL and fumble recoveries.
Speaker 2: Bumble recoveries his own fumbles. Yeah, exactly, you create a problem to solve it. That's a that's a good yeah. All right, Let's look on the opposite side of the ball, which Dallas offensive player do you think has to have a great game in order for Dallas have a chance.
Speaker 7: Man I would say, Rico Dawbell, I would say, if he's able to keep his running game consistent and he's able to get over the century mark for the four straight game, I'd feel much better about this offensive chance to put up points.
Speaker 6: Brock Hoffman dealing with Vida Vea and plus the middle stuff that's about to happen with these blitzes from David the linebacker, They're gonna these guards and centers are gonna have to the garden. The center is gonna have to sort this thing out. They can't let Vida Vea just contently push them into the pocket because we talked about that. The quarterback doesn't move very well and all of a sudden, if he feels guys into his lap, then he might shut it down and then see what happens on the outside. So yeah, right guard center combination, that's going to need to be the best for you tomorrow or Sunday.
Speaker 9: Sunday.
Speaker 3: I'm with Rico as well, because I don't think you can. I don't see if possible you winning this game without a running game like we've seen Cooper rush. What he's done through the air and when they haven't been able to run the ball. So I think that what has been able to create that challans and help Cooper Rush has been that running game. So if Rico has a good day, I can feel more confident and comfortable thinking that the Cowboys can definitely win this game.
Speaker 8: Evergreen statement. By the way, ever green truth.
Speaker 6: What do you have a number in mind when you start to think about Cooper Rush and number of attempts that you don't want him to go over?
Speaker 9: I don't want him to go over?
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 8: It feels like when he hits thirty, they're kind of pushing a little bit.
Speaker 4: I'd say so too. The number.
Speaker 6: When I see thirty, I think of loss right there? Yeah, kind of That's where I'm at.
Speaker 4: I see fifty, I.
Speaker 2: For sure, Yeah, that means you got blown out.
Speaker 4: Probably Yeah, we've seen that, sure, probably out for sure.
Speaker 3: That sounds like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and more than anything else, it means if you're throwing the ball that much on this team, it means that the other team scored a lot, and they scored quickly, which means you got the ball back and now you're just trying to get back in the game. So you're just throwing, throwing, throwing like that's that's probably a recipe. You got beat bad, all right, So let's look at the flip side of that. Who on the Tampa Bay defense cannot have a great game if Dallas is going to have their best chance to win.
Speaker 6: I like that one dated the linebacker for me, Yeah, because run the run fits and then also him potentially blitz the.
Speaker 7: I thought about Cancy just because he can he can cause disruption and if Cooper rushes out of sorts, it's gonna throw this whole offense out of sorts. And he can also affect the run game quite a bit. But I think David is just as impactful, if not more so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say, because I just have have Peter. Yeah, yeah, I have trauma from that guy, so he has Any time I know we're about to face the opponent that has him on the roster, I'm like, oh lord, because of what I've seen in the past. So I would say him.
Speaker 2: All right. And then on the opposite side, who cannot have a great day on Tampa Bay's offense and Dallas have a great chance to win?
Speaker 4: I would go with.
Speaker 7: I would go with Bucky Irving because if I say Mike Evans, then that just allows the opportunity for another receiver. And granted there's still another opportunity for another running back and Shod White, but I think if they can keep Bucky Irving limited both in the run game and in the receiving game and just trying to make them one dimensional as far as pass just going past, I think that they'd have a better shot.
Speaker 4: Here. Take your pick at the offensive tackle.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's I didn't think about it a lot.
Speaker 6: Take the pick the offensive tackle, whether it's left or right. You know they're going to trade both these tackles block well.
Speaker 4: Michaeh.
Speaker 6: Parsons has got to find. They got to find the one guy they can win on. You know, if not try and move him inside, move him around, maybe the guard situation might be better off. But pick either tackle. You don't need either one of these guys to have a great day, real quick.
Speaker 2: I saw a stat this morning on Twitter. I say, worfs He and Penna School are the only two tackles in NFL history that have never given up a sack with the number of reps that they've had of dropbacks.
Speaker 4: Yeah never, wait, what does that mean.
Speaker 2: Like they've never given up a sack. Worfs is never given up a sack? Is what this? That's what the graphics did. And I was like, I've.
Speaker 4: Seen, I've seen. I think he's got two and a half this year.
Speaker 2: Like that doesn't sound right, But I saw a graphic. I can't remember who it was from. It's from a like a media outlet, not from a person.
Speaker 4: Dave Hellman kill dude, Dave mself, Dave, David Dave's coming for that. Then he's he needs to do something.
Speaker 2: I'll have to look that up, but it just it kind of startled me. I was like, really, may nice for the season. Maybe maybe he's not giving up, but he's seen him give up about pressure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, y'all got a thing going on here between PFF. I'm just saying that, man, you've seen a couple.
Speaker 6: I'm really I'm really kind of this next gen stuff. I maybe I stake my reputation on it way too much, but my gosh, they haven't let me down yet. Yeah you know, so yeah, let me look it up here real quick.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean there was also not a lot of sack per PFF, so maybe maybe that's where maybe.
Speaker 2: That's what it's for this season. Yeah, but even at that, to go that many games this season and not give up a sacks pretty remarkable. I mean that that is a remarkable statue.
Speaker 6: All right, I'd love to see how their great sacks over there, you're seeing something a little different, Yeah, I mean I'm all about that.
Speaker 2: Brian's like he's got twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, it's a complicated answer because everyone that comes to mind, you can come up with another option. Yeah, So I'm gonna have to go with the head of the offense, the quarterback.
Speaker 9: And even then, Baker.
Speaker 3: Mayfield, I mean, he even when he has bad games, he can still manage to win those games. So even with making making mistakes or turning over the ball, he can still manage. So but I'm gonna go I'm gonna go with him. I think that if the Cowboys do create those turnovers again, it will just facilitate their own offense to be able to score points. And that's the biggest question for me. Will the Cowboys be able to score enough points to win that game? And that's the key of the game obviously, that's how you win games. I know it sounds dumb, but this offense needs to be able to score, and it's gonna come down to how well the defense is able to defend this game and keep Baker under pressure constantly and create you.
Speaker 6: Guys kind of feel like the defense is gonna play well and the offense is gonna let him down.
Speaker 2: That's what we're seeing for a good part of this when when there have been issues, that's what we've seen mostly this year, the defense has played pretty well or hanging in there, and then the office just can't get anything going. They can't get And I actually agree with you, Ambro. I think Baker Mayfield is kind of the central figure for me because if he has a bad day, Mike Evans can't get off off, his quarterback can't get the ball to him. And I really think this is one because they've got so many weapons that you guys mentioned, they got so many different guys that can hurt you if you can if you can get Mayfield out of his game, if you can get him in situations where he's having a rush, you can get him in situations where he's on his back, you get him in situations where he's fumbling. I think that gives your best chance to win, and it negates all these other weapons they got.
Speaker 6: The way they avoid that is hand the ball to Bucky Irving. That's the way they avoid that. If Baker Mayfield starts playing bad, you know, but.
Speaker 2: They saw the run defense, I w don't worry about that famous last one. All Right, we're gonna it's time to take some get some picks from you guys. Go around the table. See what you guys think is going to happen on Sunday when Cowboys take on the Buccaneers on Sunday Night Football. Nicholas start with you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm gonna have to take Tampa Bay and this one I'm gonna go thirty one to twenty one. I think I think this offense is gonna have a good day against this Cowboys defense. They've been rolling since their bye week. Mike Evans is healthy and he's trying to get to a thousand yards and that's a very specific point in his career where he's trying to get it to and I think they're gonna try to.
Speaker 8: Feed him in this game. I think he's gonna I think he's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, twenty eight to twenty eight, twenty Tampa Bay.
Speaker 3: Okay, see, I feel like one team has more to lose by the if they lose this game, and that's Tampa Bay with where they're at.
Speaker 8: But wait, come on, come on, man, really come I don't know. You do have a head coach who has a lot to lose in.
Speaker 2: This game, no doubt about that. But that I was talking about.
Speaker 9: Okay, obviously you do. Everybody has to say something to miss it.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying Cowboys, like he's still one percent are over there the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Camber is just calling Derek out for not being a one percent, and Derek.
Speaker 2: Is like, but a gang.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 6: I think at Texas A and M they have a deal with if you're a ten percenter, like you sit down during the game.
Speaker 2: I think I remember that from like Sunsy Anarchy. I think like one.
Speaker 4: Turned on the volume. You maybe just watched the video.
Speaker 6: You wouldn't share that you do everything that happened, I knew exactly how it ended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, my point being agree, there are coaches that are fighting for their jobs and all of that. Absolutely agree. But whatever, you guys can believe what you want. Anyways, the point is, somehow I think that the Cowys can actually win this game despite everything.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you surprised by my answer.
Speaker 6: I am very surprised because you usually like you usually like miss realistic.
Speaker 3: No, but my point is based on what I saw the defense play against Cincinnati at the Cowboys I was gonna say, Cowboys Stadium, atant Stadium, you know that the defense can do enough to help you out. You know, all you have to worry about is figuring out how to score points. And if the running game gets going and they still have that balance there, I think they can go into the end zone. Maybe Rico will find his first touchdown and we'll walk out of there with a win. But I see it being your low scoring game twenty seventeen Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think this game is gonna I kind of think I'm with you on that, Amber. I think this is going to be a lower scoring game that people expect.
Speaker 4: You guys, get the memo or something this week.
Speaker 8: No, honestly got the script.
Speaker 2: We dig get early at the script. This is your Christmas Day script. Yeah, yeah, it was always nice in the building. You could actually get the script last.
Speaker 4: Year a lot more.
Speaker 2: No, But I really do think this is a game that's much closer than people think. I look at how they play Cincinnati, and I just have a hard time I hear what you guys are saying. I have a hard time thinking this offense presents way more of a problem than that offense presented, and Dallas played pretty good defense against them. All things considered, I think this is a game that's close. Twenty one to twenty. Cowboys win at at and T Stadium. Be fun, all right. I'm not gonna say Mark Christmasye because we'll have some shows before Christmas, so we will see you guys on Monday. We'll tell you what would right and wrong for the Cowboys till then for Nick Harris, Brian brought Us Nambergar, Siam, Derek Kiklelman. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.