Speaker 1: The Patriots are back in pads after a day off, but they were inside the field house today a little bit wet.
Speaker 2: They still got after it. Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Welcome everybody to the training Camp cast presented by New Balance and Yes, today was practice number seven.
Speaker 2: Paw, is that crazy number eight number? It's because you weren't there, the one that I missed. You missed one day, I missed one.
Speaker 1: But let's start off with something crazy. AJ Brown dislocated his thumb and kept practicing. We didn't find out till afterwards we saw him.
Speaker 2: How did you know?
Speaker 1: Spoken an NFL network afterwards, A J. Brown came in and told us, but don't worry everybody, he finished practice. Doesn't look like something major, but a little bit of news there. Nobody wants to see him get her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a rep early on him, and Christian Gonzale says, they've done, you know, several times already joined this camp. Pretty physical at the point, and then all of a sudden, it looked like Brown just kind of stopped his route. Gonzo ended up picking the pass off off you know at that stage went over.
Speaker 2: It was with the trainers for a little while.
Speaker 3: Looked like he got taped up, and then he was right back out there for the next team period and took part in the rest of the practice. So I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. I don't think Aja himself would have been talking about it as much as he did if it was something to worry about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'd been caught a couple slants after that, Yeah, one down the field passed with Caroon Pronci and coverage.
Speaker 2: But he looks like he's going to be okay.
Speaker 1: But overall, and I'd say a lot of like maybe short yardage running work today, more red zone stuff. You can see how they're really starting to string this whole thing together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, you know, when you have a condensed field inside, there's no real point in putting the ball on the twenty and trying to play a full field game. So I think they were more intight today. But I feel like we're getting into the point of training camp now where there's a little bit of that grind and that tension building up.
Speaker 2: And it was to stuff.
Speaker 4: It was inside, it was hot, it was a little bit of back and forth. Very early on in practice, Romeo Dobbs took an end around and Craig Woodson kind of took him to the ground, and I was like, whoa, Okay, it's going to be that kind of day. So I think that it was a little bit of that is brewing. You know, you've been practicing impads against the same people for multiple practices now.
Speaker 3: I will just say real quick, on that play, I had the same initial reaction that Evan just did, and I was like, whoa. Well, so that I think Hunter Henry may have kind of helped Woodson along it. I wo just I don't want people to think that we were yeah.
Speaker 2: Carry on, carry on.
Speaker 1: I don't want to make too much of it though, but the connection I thought still made it was Tommy DeVito with MATC Collins three a few touchdowns. I mean, you know, we're getting something, Like you said, ev it's getting to be a little bit of a grind. But I do think it's worth pointing out, you know, some of these guys on the second team reps that are, you know, consistently making plays. I think Tommy DeVito and Baron Morton, by that note, have both been pretty.
Speaker 2: Solid this camp.
Speaker 1: Seems like Baron Morton's getting more opportunities than we saw. Ben Wooldridge get last year and the ball just to Paul's thing, it doesn't really hit the ground a lot no matter who's in there.
Speaker 2: I just think it's a positive sign. I know, look, we.
Speaker 1: Don't want to see Tommy DeVito, we'd like to stick with Drake May for the length of the season, but promising signing that this guy came in. They gave them basically the backup job and he's performing pretty well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say with DeVito, you want to see those guys be able to showcase their skills more so maybe than I'm worried about Tommy DeVito. And sometimes we see these backup quarterbacks that frankly are just so inaccurate that you can't really gauge the receivers. And mac Collins you mentioned, I would say Kayshawn Boody to an extent as well.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 4: Both those guys, whenever they rep with the twos, it's so clear that they are cut above everybody else that's on the field. Mac Collins had a couple, but I think the best throw of the day was the back pylon throw that de Vito made the Booty and that one was great. Yeah, right on the money. Could not be defended because it was just so perfectly placed. So both those receivers, it's very clear to me when they get down to the twos and are just we talk about it all the time. There's seven guys that they need to get reps for, and Mac Collins and Kaysehan Boody will sometimes get the rep with the twos and it's just very clear that they're too good for that group of people on an NFL field. So Mac Collins did almost take out a reporter. I'm not going to name names he did. Okay, no, it was. It was pretty close, but it was. It was a good showing from I think all those guys, Booty, Holland's nice practices.
Speaker 2: Good back and forth. I thought I thought they were pretty competitive. I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Those guys caught passes, but I thought there was some some balls they could have caught that they didn't, both Holland's in and Booty, And especially with Booty, it's striking to me because generally anytime the ball gets thrown to him and he gets his hands on it, he catches it. There were a couple today that well is slant went off his hands up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a clear drop on this line, and.
Speaker 3: There were a couple of the times I thought Holland showed some frustration. We're getting getting locked up a little bit. So I did think there was some good back and forth. We heard from Kevin Bayert after practice sort of talked about the value of that you don't want, you know, it's never going to be one side just sort of carrying the day. And and I don't think that was the case today. Good good, solid competition, good heat. I thought between the two maybe it was because we were so much closer, you feel, to the field. You could hear the reactions after plays. But I thought they were getting after a pretty good Yeah. You see the guys are actually pretty big too when you're that close.
Speaker 2: To the mark.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh yeah, turns out sneaky NFL players, sneaky big.
Speaker 1: NFL players, sneaky big do so colon breaking news here. Gate back is starting to ramp up a little bit, you know. One I think one one on one rep.
Speaker 4: Yes, a little bit of team I think he tried to sneak into the drill every two seconds and Mike Smith had to keep pulling him back and pulling him back. He went up against Laurence Mets, who's probably not going to be on the team if we're being honest. But he did beat him in the one on one, and he had a handful of team reps as well in eleven on eleven's and we saw him go right around Marcus Bryant to blow up a run play at one point in practice. So he looks like he's in great shape. It doesn't look like he was sitting on the couch waiting to get the contract done. He looks like a freaking Adonis out there. I mean, if he plays as well as he looked, then we're going to be in good shape. So I think that's the biggest takeaway so far is that he looks like he's ready to go. He looks eager, he looks like he's in shape, and now he just got to see how he progresses.
Speaker 2: Get to those Colts joint practices next Tuesday. Baby.
Speaker 3: By that time, before me, I think today he was he was pretty much in there. I mean, like, like Kevin said, he took some team reps, and what if you're taking team reps.
Speaker 2: You're sort of ready to go. Yeah. A couple so a couple of housekeeping things.
Speaker 1: Terrell Jennings number twenty six came off of NiFi and was pret pretty much a full participate, I mean jumped in there.
Speaker 2: He was too.
Speaker 1: He was running through the line. No Kid and Wallace, Kyle Williams. We didn't see him initially. Later in practice he showed up. He looked kind of wet. He was all in full pads. I wonder if maybe he was doing some rehab or something outside. I don't know, but didn't really get into any of the team drills in new number.
Speaker 2: Ninety six as well. Casey Rogers.
Speaker 1: So starting to see Paul some of that, you know, bottom of the depth chart, No Kaid and Wallace, you know what. We don't know what's going on there, but it seems like they're rotating guys a little bit. You're starting to see some movement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't know what the situation is with Wallace, but you know, the defensive lineman, you know, someone you know sort.
Speaker 2: Of working with the threes gets banged up.
Speaker 3: They don't really have time for you to miss a practice or sure, they got to bring someone in to make sure that those reps get replaced.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's part of the balance.
Speaker 3: But good to see both Actus and Terrell Jennings back, and you know, maybe we'll see Harold Landry before too long. I don't know how much longer. I mean, Mike Vrabel did talk late last week and said that he was going to be longer than those guys. So we'll see if that's something that impacts the regular season. It's still no Carlon Davis Evan.
Speaker 1: I felt like, I think we all have noticed, you know, some of these younger cornerbacks getting some opportunities here k Roon PUNTI was in the midst of a couple of different things today. Thought, you know, he was a good pass breakup on AJ Brown. Then he had one with I think it was not sure one.
Speaker 3: Of the low you know, just like he was going to just muscled them.
Speaker 2: It took the ball away come up. That was definitely a catch.
Speaker 4: I'm going to pick it's the battle of possession, but I feel like he had the ball and then they were on the ground and after he already had possession of the ball.
Speaker 3: Dejannio, Well, are you a fighting about that? So I'll go with Channon Crowder as the Chada Canada. I keep calling him Crowder because he already wrote Crowder in his update and he kept telling me about it. I thought he was sort of the secondary member of the secondary who really showed up. I thought he got some more reps today with twos that I hadn't really seen. It's been Prunty and Minor and those guys. I thought twenty nine in Blue showed up today, and then again when they're doing the kickoff returns, he was doing some of those reps too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems like he's got some versatility, maybe a player that could play inside. Prunty just impresses me though, because of his size, speed length, he can carry a go route. I mean that's for sure, like he did it twice today. So I don't know if he's going to be able to cover the whole route tree just yet. But if you put a guy out there like that that's at least not going to get burned deep, then you feel pretty good about helping him out on the other stuff. So with his length, with his speed, I think he's got that ability to carry vertical routes down the field. And when you play on the outside, that's the majority of what you're going to see. So very early leader, I think out of that group as like the fifth cornerback that they might carry. I think Charles Woods is on this team as the fourth guy, and I'd say Prunty is making a push right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charles Woods getting a lot of reps still. Carlon Davis continues to be out. That's offering opportunities to some of these guys.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: We're in the dog days of camp now. That's been four padded practices in five days. To replay on that proNT We'll try to get the go to the tape before next breakdown, but they'll be back in pads again tomorrow. Tuesday is supposed to be a beautiful day if you're able to come on down here to the Jet Stadium.
Speaker 2: It's a great take