Speaker 1: Since our initial release of Kevin Dykes's story, there have been some new developments, and this is a re release of that story with new content. As a child in the late nineteen seventies, Kevin Dykes accidentally killed his best friend when they were playing with a gun, sending him to Juvie for involuntary manslaughter. When he got out, he turned to petty drug dealing in Compton, California. Fast forward to nineteen eighty six. After a terrible assault that led to a four month hospital stint, Kevin continued peddling drugs from his temporary wheelchair for two men named Slim and Hondo. Kevin rented a bed and a trailer home in his landlord's driveway, where Slim and Hondo occasionally hit weapons. That June, two incidents occurred just days apart, resulting in one murder and two attempted murders. The first during a party when Kevin booted his friend Ephraim for being belligerently drunk. Slim and Hondo followed he from stabbing him several times. A neighborhood mother, Missus Bradley, came to Ephraim's aid, only to get dabbed as well. Kevin intervened, jumping from his wheelchair to stop the assault before it turned fatal. A few days later, Slim and Hondo accused Kevin's friend Otis Perry of stealing their gun from Kevin's trailer home, stabbing him eighty one times. Unable to stop the murderous frenzy and fearing for his own life, Kevin helped them clean up before going to the police a few hours later. A few days after that, Kevin was arrested for cocaine possession and put into a special holding tank for state's witnesses. Then three jailhouse snitches claimed that Kevin had confessed to all three attacks in exchange for leniency in their own cases. Kevin Dykes is serving life in prison on the word of three notorious jailhouse snitches. This is wrongful conviction with Jason.
Speaker 2: Flamm, this is Global taill Link.
Speaker 3: You have a prepaid call from here an inmate at the California State Prison, Los Angeles County, Lancaster, California. This call and our telephone number will be monitored and recorded. To accept this call, say or dial five now. Thank you for using globaltaill link.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Wrawful Conviction with Jason Flomp Today. We have an incredible story, so we're going to get right into it, and I'm going to introduce you first to Stephen K. Howser. He's a criminal defense attorney representing the star of this episode, Kevin Dike. Stephen, Welcome to Wrongful Conviction.
Speaker 4: Thank you, glad to be here.
Speaker 1: And Kevin Dykes is on the phone with us from prison, and I hope we'll be able to do something about his situation because it is awful. Kevin. I'm sorry you're here or where you are, but I'm happy you're here with us today. So thank you for being here.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the AVATORA.
Speaker 1: This case goes back to Compton nineteen eighty six, and it's got so much that you'll think I'm talking about a movie script that would be too much to be believed, except for it's real. It's got gangster's name Hondo and Slim. It's got drugs, it's got snitches that ended up on sixty minutes. It's got laws that changed and victims who testified that this was not the guy who did it. It's got a guy who's in prison for three and a half decades with no evidence against him except the testimony of jailhouse snitches who have recanted their testimony. It is nuts, but it's true. So let's get right into it. And Kevin, let's start with you going back to your youth because you grew up in Compton, right, Yes, I grew.
Speaker 5: Up got to pay at home in the pop Water Sport. I actually had a real good of bringing in two. I think it's actually saying I ended up actually killing my best friend. I went for as randfather, and I will.
Speaker 4: Sit to yas and for those of you who don't know YA or CYA is the California Youth Authority.
Speaker 1: As I understand it, your friend's death was entirely accidental, just two kids who made a big mistake playing with a gun. But they still sent your way to juvie for involuntary manslaughter. And I also understand that you harbor a lot of guilt about this, even though the family forgave you.
Speaker 5: Yes, this family, they stayed directly across the street from my family. Even to the day, still feel on the same street. Although the family had forgiven me, written me letters will come to see me. When I got out, I saw what I did to that family, and I didn't know how to proster. Although my mother and my father and my grandmother and all kinds of people were trying to help me, I didn't know how to ask for their help that I actually need. So I got dig grig as little grid of the k.
Speaker 1: So the guilt kind of derailed your potential, it seems. And after Juvie, you start dealing drugs and looking outside of what seemed like a supportive home for whatever it was that you felt you needed, acceptance, identity, whatever, out in the street. So fast forward to January nineteen eighty six. Some other really bad stuff happens.
Speaker 5: January eighteenth, so I to cheating them. They try to cheat them in the front of my house. I follow them. They ran me through a brick wall and both my hit smashed my films. So I went at the hospital January eighteenth, in dollarge of May twenties. When I got out of the hospital, I was in a wheelchair and I had a walker, and I was going to a therapy.
Speaker 1: Yes, someone tried to kidnap Kevin, so you fought them off, and they ended up hitting you with their car against a brick wall, broke your hips. Snapped your pelvis and put you in the hospital for four months. I mean, you're lucky to even be alive. And we haven't even gotten to the part that has you locked up right now. Okay, so it's May nineteen eighty six. You're temporarily in this wheelchair doing physical therapy and dealing drugs for these two mid level management drug dealers named Slim and Hondo.
Speaker 4: Slim and Hondo decided that they were going to take over the local drug sales. I believe they helped Kevin and some of his friends with small amounts of cocaine to sell in the neighborhood, and they would periodically show up and I guess resupply the local sellers, including Kevin and Kevin.
Speaker 1: You were renting a place to stay from a man named mister Bryce. You were renting a bed in this mobile home that sat in his driveway, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was a fan and mister bright'shole. We had a mobile hole over. They had like six days with a shower and all that stuff inside. It was parked in the driveway. Sometimes my friends, he's supposed to stay. They had like six places well sleeping here, so all this coming sleeping.
Speaker 4: Here and Otis is Otis Perry who occasionally stayed at mister Bryce's mobile home, and he's the one that was eventually stabbed by slimon Hondo for taking the gun that they had left in the trailer. The night that these two attempted murders occurred outside a party at mister Bryce's house.
Speaker 5: Yes, also, my cousin Pam was inside the mobile home. I was inside the house where the party was there when they're fighting when to fight after, So I didn't know this was out there at the time. Donald Slip pulls up. They knew mister Bryce didn't allow gus in his house, but they he had a gun in the mobile home. Well, my cousin in OSTs, but I still didn't know nothing about that at that time.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now the stage is finally set for these crimes to take place. This is we're talking June nineteenth, nineteen eighty six. There's a little party going on at mister Bryce's. Your friend Otis and your cousin Pam are in the mobile home in the driveway. Slim and Hondo, your bosses, come to hang out, but out of respect for mister Bryce, they leave their gun in the mobile home. Then your friend Ephraim is at the party and he is drunk, to say the least.
Speaker 5: Wellm is my older homeboy. He was young, beinglligerate and uh messing with the females. I was up in there, grabbing streaks that didn't belong to him, and I said, the man, go down to the pool man, keep back. I got and he kept home. So I got pissed off and I hate him once and when I hate him, Hondo slim. Both of them attacked him because of them, here's what they see it, he said. I didn't understand why did they get involved in there? Here's what they see because I should barely walk. They people were taking advantage of my disability.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so your drug bosses are sticking up for you. But then they go way beyond what you would ever want them to do.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So once I stuck both of them attacking, I got them to stop, told East leave. He left, and then they chased him down the street. They caught him at the end of the corner. Once I got down there, I saw that they were actually stabbing. When I Hando leaving along Hando, he little stup and saw me. But when he saw me, he saw Miss Bradley behind me. Miss Bradley is my older almost mother. When she looked up and saw that it was her son, she tried to turn it run. He ran her down, grabbed her by her address, and started stabbing her. I hopped my way to him and grabbed him to get him off of her, and once I was holdingly, she got loose, which gave you some time to get up, and then I got to convinced him to get into the car and drove them off. I drove off to a motel, and then I came back to check on Eathelm and Miss Bradley. But the hammer has already came when it was the hospital.
Speaker 1: So you basically saved Missus Bradley and Ephraim from being murdered by Slim and Hondo by convincing them to stop stabbing them and drive away from the scene. But this incident on June nineteenth is what becomes two charges of attempted murder that gets stuck on you. The guy confined to a wheelchair at the time. Yeah, okay, So Slim and Hondo stabbed both Ephraim and Missus Bradley. You drove them to a motel at some point your friend Otis back at the mobile home, takes the gun Slim and Hondo had left behind. Not too smart, by the way, because Slim and Hondo knew who was in the mobile home when they stashed it in the first place. So they come looking for Otis on June twenty third.
Speaker 5: June twenty thirty overs looking for Otis, like Wilson in the morning, they should come outside. I'm going to go to your oldest. I didn't know ODIs was out here in the motor hole. So when I went out to the front yard going to the motor opened, older stepped out. Hanolds cacked ODIs, say may with my gun? He said, we can go get it. He said, too late, and then cashing. They started fighting. ODIs was fighting back, but they were fighting him from the side of the mother hole. He went around the garage and that was the first time I saw him being stabbed. And I came back from around there. I wasn't naming the run or whatever, so didn't say nothing and just listening to everything that was going on. And I don't know how the much time passed, but then Honolds came from around there and there was no more noise. I was wondering them. Okay, now what he said, uh w what something? You got something? Rec me? And then I gave him my blanket, so him a swim, went behind the bath and wrapped him up, drugged him out and put him in the car. And then instead of human slim boy, he said, you Slim, you stay here watching out all the blood that was coming from behind the mother hole, and showed me to get in the car and ride with him. So I took him over through my Olmos neighborhood by the canil, and that's where he jumped in and I say, look, I'll be back. I left it the other same day.
Speaker 1: And what would you tell anyone listening now who's wondering why you played any part in getting rid of the body with Slim and Hondo.
Speaker 5: I did with any reasonable person not trying to die, I would have done hadn't seen what I saw. I knew I gotta do something that made myself a part of what's going on, and I wasn't physically able to do nothing to prevent myself from being killed and impressed it. That was the smartest thing that I could have done at the time for myself instead of doing nothing.
Speaker 1: If you had done nothing at all. What do you think Slim and Hondo would have done?
Speaker 5: I was a little bit too afraid to find out. I was in a position where something happened to my friend and hand me. You know where I stood, and I did what I'm day to do for morsel. They're not too forward.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: This episode is underwritten by Paul Weiss Rifkin, Porton and Garrison, a leading international law firm. Paul Weiss has long had an unwavering commitment to providing impactful, pro bono legal assistance to the most vulnerable members of our society and in support of the public interest, including extensive work in the criminal justice area. Otis's murder eventually gets pinned on you, the guy who was only able to watch or listen helplessly as your friend got stabbed to death, and then, in order to save your own life, you did would probably some of us would have done. You played along with Slim and Hondo until you could get away. I would not want to have been in your shoes at that point. You just lost your brand. Otis. You had to contend with the question of to snitch or not to snitch on like a Sophie's choice. On these two murderous drug dealers.
Speaker 5: And that's when I was trying to process whatever it just happened to show. Six thirty seven o'clock in the morning, that's when I saw the police. I told that I knew where that was. One always said come over here, and look they moved it blanket. I knew it was. I said, I know where he lives, to the little mother's house. And then when we came back to the scene, I asked my saying, look if I had any information, talk on my contract, and he gave me his car. I took your car, rode miles two whiles and I went to the phone booth and then I called the police. She lived, and I told everything the thing he knew and told him while I was at they came and picked me up, took me out to the station. They let me go back home.
Speaker 1: So you made a statement to a sergeant, Sergeant Preston, and you're going to be a witness, and Steve, maybe you can tell us about the next part of the story, which is how Kevin was picked up for cocaine possession. Sometime later, and while in the state's witness holding area of La County Jail, he eventually meets three guys who are responsible for him being in this horrible predicament today.
Speaker 4: What happened was Kevin got arrested for a possession of cocaine charge and because he was the main witness against Slim and Hondo on a murder case, they put him in with other prosecution witnesses and it's commonly called the snitch Tank, which is a separate jail from the men's central jail. And while Kevin was in there, he told his cellmate to Willie Battle and the guy that was and the next sel over, Jesse Williams. He told them what actually happened because they asked, and that's very common in jail, what are he in for? And they exchanged information, but this time it only came from Kevin. He told them what happened, and they twisted it around and ran with it. And then they called the Compton Police Department and asked them if they had a murder case where the body was found by a canal. They called it a canal, it's really a drainage ditch. And they put him in contact with Detective Marvin Branscombe, who was not Sergeant Preston, who Kevin gave the statement to and they convinced Branscomb that what they had to say was true, which they said that Kevin confessed to these tempting murders and murder.
Speaker 5: They say, we got a guy out of here bragging about chilling his guy and sad with lady telling big time, don't kill it. So I end up going from being the actual witness now mean that actual killer.
Speaker 4: So Kevin became a defendant instead of the prosecution witness. And they moved him out of the snitch tank to another part of the jail. So Kevin's transferred over to the central jail, and then he met a very notorious snitch named Leslie White. And I get a call from Leslie White. I'd never heard of Leslie White. Leslie White says, I understand you're defending Kevin Dykes and that he has been ratted out by two snitches. And I said that's exactly right. He says, well, I can help you. You come down here and I'm going to tell you all about the snitch system and how it works. Okay, So I go down to the jail. I talked to Leslie White. He tells me about how inmates get a hold of paperwork and change facts and get a hold of the detective or DA that's handling a particular murder case. And because they know these unique facts, they can convince the detective or district attorney that's handling the case that this confession was a valid confession. So I said, well, that sounds good, Okay, I'll put you on the witness list, mister White. So about a week or two later, I get the witness list from the district attorney and Leslie White is on there as a people's witness. And not only that, I get a report that says that Kevin Dyke's confessed to Leslie White. And I'm flabbergasted because I just talked to Leslie White and he was going to be a witness for Kevin. So I go down to the jail and I call out Leslie White and he's willing to come and talk to me, and I said, what do you are? You a witness for the prosecution? Now he says yep. I said, well, you know that Kevin's innocent. Why are you doing what?
Speaker 5: How can you do that?
Speaker 4: And he says, well, man's got to do what he got to do. That's what he said.
Speaker 1: I gotta be honest. My head is spinning. And I didn't even live through this. I mean, this is Kevin. I mean, I'm so sorry that you're living this is that, this is your life we're talking about.
Speaker 5: I didn't actually believe that what was going on was even possible. I didn't think that this sub would hold. I'm like, what old, I am an actual eye witness. These guys they don't know nothing about where illy, but nothing about what actually happened. So I didn't really believe the people could do what they were what they were doing to me. I had never even heard about that before.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is this is like nothing. I don't think we've ever heard a story like this before. So Steven, what happens next?
Speaker 4: When we got to court, all they had was his statement to Sergeant Preston and three snitches, and I couldn't believe that they would even want to proceed with this evidence, but they did, And just before the verdict was issued, I told Kevin, I said, now, Kevin, when you get out of here, you've got to change your ways, be a law abiding citizen and then used to society and he said, yeah, came mister Houser, I'm going to do that, came back guilty. We were both floored.
Speaker 1: You were sentenced to twenty four years to life. Here it is now twenty twenty. You're still in Could you just take us back there, put us in that courtroom with you, if you can.
Speaker 5: I actually could not believe the verdant. Yeah. I actually didn't a crying. I just see how it was possible. Yeah, I was after I witness, I came for I gave everything they needed, all evidence to call the weapons. The people from testify that I didn't attacking. People will stand like thirty three times and he test fighted I didn't attacking, and it test five that I didn't attack Ms Brandy, that was my friend mother. There was nobody here to stay out, okay, anybody.
Speaker 1: But and this is something I really need to highlight here, which is that if you go in a jury box and you're presented with a case where someone's life is hanging into balance, just like Kevin's was, and there's no evidence connecting that person's at a crime except for the testimony of a snitch, you cannot vote to convict because it's crazy. I mean, these are people who are clearly incentivized. They may not tell you that at the time. But you have to understand that the defense can never bribe a witness. That's it. That's a crime punishable by long time in jail. But the government can make a deal with a snitch to reduce their charges or drop their charges in exchange for testimony. And that is the best bribe of all. So it's the most unreliable testimony imaginable. And here you have a case where the direct evidence contradicts what the Niches were saying. The evidence showed that Kevin could not have committed this crime, and yet he ends up getting convicted on the testimony of people who were notoriously untrustworthy and were it sent device to lie mister Alvan.
Speaker 5: Frown evidence where they get apartments, they say, oh, he's bet in my family, So the government gives him money to relocate them movement apartments. All of them ended up getting reduced to Leslie White ended up getting out at such five and gives me, I don't know if you remember this one thousands He came right back any threatened the Asian attorney. If you don't bake me back out, I'm gonna blow his whole case up.
Speaker 4: You remember what happened was Leslie White then went on sixty minutes when he was back in again in the jail, and he showed on camera how he could work his magic and get favors from DA. And then when I saw that, I went down and talked to Leslie White. I said, well, now I know for sure you lied in Kevin's case, and he says, yeah, I did. And I said, well, I want you to sign an affidavit that you lied in Kevin's case because Kevin deserves a new trial. And so sure enough he signed it. But instead of giving Kevin a new trial, the DA indicted him. Leslie White with a grand jury, had me come in and testify, and they gave Leslie White four years for perjury. They gave Kevin Dykes nothing. And that's where it sat. It's all so backwards and upside down.
Speaker 1: And of course, you know, we have two more characters that are coming up, with Gigi Gordon, who's on the right side of this story, and Willie Battles. We can't leave him out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when this snitch system came out, thanks to Leslie White, believe it or not, Gigi Gordon was appointed. She's a defense lawyer see now, but she was a criminal defense lawyer friend of mine, and Jesi Gordon was appointed by i think the Supreme Court to do an independent investigation on all of the snitch cases to see if justice was done. And she spent over a year on this project, being paid by the state of California. And as a result of Jiji Gordon's research and investigation, a law was introduced in the legislature to require corroboration if snitch testimony is going to be used in a case.
Speaker 1: And that happened, but they didn't do it retroactively. Am I getting that right? Because it always drives me nuts when we change a law in this country and we don't do it retroactively.
Speaker 4: How could it be different now than it was before. It doesn't make sense. Didn't make any sense to me. That's why I appealed it. We went to the Pellate Court in California, then the Supreme Court. Actually, when we went to the Supreme Court the first time, the law had not been changed yet. But then we went back to the Supreme Court on another issue and the law had been changed. And in federal court the judge actually said that Kevin might be innocent, but there's nothing I can do because this law is not retroactive or something to that effect. And I just thought that that was the most unjust result I've ever had in my whole career.
Speaker 1: Still is wow.
Speaker 4: And so if Kevin's case were tried now, they wouldn't have any evidence against him because the only incriminating evidence was from the snitch testimony.
Speaker 1: If Kevin's case were to be tried now, they would have no evidence against him. And yet it's thirty four years later and he's I can't this is nuts.
Speaker 4: I went to the district attorney with that very argument. With each new district attorney that came in, I would go talk to him, and they told me that because of his statement admitting what he did pretending to go along with what Islam and Honda were doing, because of that statement, that made him guilty. And they said, sorry, you have to present new evidence to us before we're going to recommend anything for Kevin. And I said, what's the matter with these confessions by these snitches, that's new evidence at least since the trial. Two out of three Leslie White signed an affidavit that sent him put himself in prison, and Jesse Williams signed a letter saying that he lied in Kevin's case. He said, no, we want some more than that. Plus you've got one snitch that you don't have, you know, retraction from Willy Battle. We never had a retraction from him, and Willy Battle I tried to find but he's probably dead. So that's where we sit.
Speaker 1: And what is the outlook now, I mean, is there a hope?
Speaker 4: I think Kevin has two hopes, parole and with a new DA. I thought Jackie Lacy was very progressive and I had high hopes for Kevin when she put together her Internal Innocent project and I met with what I thought was a very ethical, fine lawyer, and I got a very unfavorable result. And I asked him during that hearing, I said, you know, as a human being, you know, do you really think that Kevin Dykes was convicted properly fairly? He wouldn't answer. He wouldn't give me an answer.
Speaker 1: Nearly a year has gone by since we originally released this episode in September twenty twenty, and shortly thereafter in La County, George Gascon was elected DA. And Steve, last time we spoke, you said that one of the only avenues left for a leaf for Kevin was that very election victory. So you must have been really excited when it became clear that Jackie Lacy was on her way out and George Gascon was on his way in. I'm imagining you must have jumped right into action on the first business day of twenty twenty one, that.
Speaker 4: Is correct, on January fourth, twenty twenty one, I sent a letter to George Gascon the New DA alerting him to Kevin's situation, and I was contacted shortly thereafter by a deputy in his conviction integrity unit. She said that she had reviewed the case and she agreed with the former head of their integrity unit under Jackie Lacy that taking out all of the snitch testimony and just focusing in on Kevin's statement both to the police and what he testified to a trial, which were both consistent, that she felt that he was guilty because of what he said he shared in the criminal intent to kill his friend Otis, which I think was not reasonable. I don't understand how a deputy district attorney can look at the facts in this case, focusing on Kevin's own testimony and come to the conclusion that he intended Otis's death, that he wanted Otis to die, or that he wanted his friend Ephram to die or Missus Bradley to die. Now, Ephram testified in court that Kevin was not a part of the assault on his person or Missus Bradley. For the district attorney to believe that Kevin convicted himself based on his testimony of both the murder and the attempted murders is beyond belief. For a second degree murder, there has to be criminal intent. You have to share in the intent of the stabbers in this case, Slim and Hondo to kill Otis, and there's no proof of that from Kevin's lips. The only evidence of that is from snitch testimony, which under today's law would be inadmissible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and with good reason. I mean, let's face it, snitch testimony for the state is almost always incentivized by leniency in the snitch's charges, making that testimony as unreliable as it could be. So this deputy in Gascoon CiU wants to preserve this conviction, saying that Kevin's test some money reaches the burden of proof for criminal intent, when in reality, Kevin was essentially a hostage of Slim and Hondo until he could finally get away. I mean, had he not gone along with everything that happened in the aftermath of Otis's death, Slim and Hondo would have been dumping both Kevin and Otis's bodies and we wouldn't even be having this conversation or know what Slim and Hondo did. So what was the end result of your discussion with Gascon's deputy. Were you able to work anything out?
Speaker 4: After several back and forth conversations, she was going to bring a motion for resentencing. This was apparently a new law where they could go back into the trial court and petitioned for a change of sentence. She said that if Kevin would agree to change his plea from murder to manslaughter, that they would go along with it, and that he could then be sentenced to whatever the maximum on manslaughter was, which is a lot less than thirty five years that he's been in. So we're still waiting for that. I don't know what's happened, but the district attorney that I was talking to called me and told me that there was some problem with them making this motion because some judge might deny it. Or she wasn't real clear on that, but that she invited me to think of a way to get around the judge having to make a decision to get Kevin out. So I suggested, well, how about if I file another rid of habeas corpus and if the district attorney doesn't oppose it, then the judge can grant him a new trial. And once he gets a new trial, then they can dismiss the case because they don't have any evidence. They don't have any admissible evidence, right The.
Speaker 1: Only evidence they had back then was the snitch testimony, which was totally uncorroborated and therefore now inadmissible under the law that resulted from Leslie white sixty minutes and the sequent investigation, not to mention that Jesse Williams recanted, Leslie White took a perjury charge and four years to undo his damage to Kevin, and Willie Battles is presumed dead or he might have done the same. So are they gonna move forward with your habeas idea or are they looking for something better to hang their hat on? Considering that your idea would prove that this conviction has absolutely no integrity.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what's going to happen. It seems like that they're just waiting for the parole hearing.
Speaker 1: Right, Kevin is up for parole at the beginning of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: And if the DA's office does not oppose parole, he will probably get released on parole. However, he will be on parole for the rest of his life for a crime that he did not commit, as well as having served thirty five years for a crime that he did not commit. I think that George Gascon himself has not heard the evidence in this case. Once he realizes exactly what went on in this case, I'm sure that he will see that justice is done and Kevin will get released.
Speaker 1: That's our hope as well. And anyone in our audience who feels the same way, and I hope all of you do, can scroll down to the link in the bio. There's a petition to George Cascon to do just that. He's a good man and he's a very reasonable person. I mean, really, I honestly like to clone George. He's that kind of guy. We hope that he and others in his office can come around to our view. Kevin would admit to anyone that he wasn't living with really honorable life at that point. But in fact, ironically, it was at this moment in his life that he did something truly honorable. He went to Otis's mother and then to the police to do the right thing. Does that sound like the actions of someone possessing criminal intent?
Speaker 5: I know I need the right things. When I went to the police, handing them to hide throw the food in, I tow the food fir and jury. Even now, I don't regret during the right thing because it was my friend's life and it was important for his mother to know the truth what happened to her son. Maybe I wouldn't say that while I'm in jail. It cost me a lot. I've lost like seventeen family members. My mom's had a stroke a few years ago. Now, it cost me a lot, but I was still doing it even after all this time. I found Lord the last five years, so I'm at peace finally with God and myself. So now it's like, you know what, there's nothing I can do about what they've done. I'm not gonna let them take what's left that I got in my spirit. And now my family is proud of me. Even though I've never done nothing because I've saved my life. So I'm gonna keep pushing. I'm gonna keep the leaving like I got to so all I got.
Speaker 1: And with that we will now go to closing arguments as they still ring true today with justice delayed in this case. I first of all, thank you both. Turn my microphone off, leave my headphones on, close my eyes, and let you both talk about whatever you want for the last few minutes of the show. Kevin, We're gonna save you for last if that's okay. And Stephen, please just share whatever it is that's on your mind.
Speaker 4: Well, Kevin, let's hope this is another step to get you out of prison. It's been a long, long road, but I won't give up ever.
Speaker 1: And Kevin, over to you.
Speaker 5: I'm thankful, you know, and it's just taking me a long time. But I'm like the last five years now and my life now, few have purpose and meaning fight what they've done. I owe no feel feelings, force, nobody. He is what he is all I've lost, My lost my life. I was twenty four years old, I'm six now. I've been seen over five years. So it's like there's nothing else that I can't do because I don't consult it, but I won't let what they've done to me back then the something to me.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: I'm free, you know, inside, and I'm at teaching, and even if I die in here, I'll be at peace knowing I stood for the soup into woman. I need the right thing as an adult. So my parents were problem. There's nothing I can do but keep my mind focusing, Oh, what's possible, what could be possible, and how to help out.
Speaker 7: It's a human opportunity to this god family in my community where I see them. You know, I won't let nothing take that from me. That's how I have and I appreciate everything that you guys are doing, and I appreciate support from anybody, whether the governor wherever.
Speaker 6: It can be done to help me. It is just a hoof the absolutely in front of people, and they let them decided. So I need to be punished for what.
Speaker 5: I needed if they say so, because I opportunate, but hey, I was worried for my life. Say it for my life at the time, but I did what I believe he was writing, and I don't really doing it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Wrongful Conviction with Jason Flamm. Please support your local innocence projects and go to the link in our bio to see how you can help. I'd like to thank our production team Connor Hall, Jeff Clyburn and Kevin Warnis. The music on the show, as always, is by three time OSCAR nominated composer Jay Ralph. Be sure to follow us on Instagram at Wrongful Conviction and on Facebook at Wrongful Conviction Podcast. Wrongful Conviction with Jason Flahm is a production of Lava for Good Podcasts and association with Signal Company Number one