Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Chuck back again with another edition, I believe number eight in our Thanks spring the playlist, and today you're going to be learning all about wetlands because the name of the episode is wetlands exclamation point, Wetlands exclamation point, wetlands exclamation point.
Speaker 2: Can you tell we love wetlands? I think you will too.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Stuff you should Know a production of Iheartradios How Stuff Works.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Charles and Jerry's over there, and this is stuff you should know, the Dripping Wet.
Speaker 1: Edition in These wet Lands.
Speaker 2: What I knew that you would not get? That? Is that a secret reference?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, why do you have to say Segar when you always mean Springsteen?
Speaker 2: Was that Springsteen? Yeah? It's bad lands, Okay, baby, These wetlands are born to run.
Speaker 1: Sure, run water.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't like myself anymore. Run water. That was a great save, Chuck. Thanks, So we're talking wetlands. I have to say we have to give a shout out to Tom Peterman, the foul mouthed wetland biologist who keeps asking us to do this episode. Oh is that where this came from mm hmm. It was a Tom Peterman suggestion, although I had already wanted to do it anyway.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, we love our sciences, man. This one was I was just smiling from ear to ear researching this.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine watching a blacksmith forge something in a wetland, in a flooded woodland?
Speaker 1: No, I just that's nirvana right there, It really is.
Speaker 2: So we're talking wetlands everybody. And Dave Ruz helped us put this one together. A good one. And Dave likes to pop in jokes every once in a while. And he said does He said, what makes a wetland wet water? And then he says, in all seriousness, that's basically that the water has to be largely present at least some parts of the year in the soil, in such amounts that you would call something wetland. I mean, think of the name wet land. It's about as earthy a term as science gets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he frontloaded this with a few stats and I won't go through all of them, but I'll go through a few that kind of are instructive as to why I love wetland so much. Here's one, although wetlands make up only five percent of the land surface in the United States, they are home to thirty one percent of our plant species. Yeah, not bad. One third of America's threatened or endangered species species live only in wetlands.
Speaker 2: I would propose that that's slightly misleading. I think they're endangered because they live in wetlands, and wetlands are endangered, as we'll see. Hmm, think about it, Chuck.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I took it more as like they're.
Speaker 2: All hiding out in the wetlands because it's a terrible place to hide out.
Speaker 1: No, it's not bad because it's got thirty one percent of the plant species. I mean, it's a pretty rich, biodiverse area to live in if you're an endangered species.
Speaker 2: For sure. All right, Tomato, Well, we'll have to hear from Thomas Peterman, the Foulmouth Wildlife for Wetland biologists, who can let us know.
Speaker 1: What does he say, like, do f and wetlands already? Yes, that kind of thing. Yeah, I like this guy.
Speaker 2: I think that's an exact quote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's my kind of dude.
Speaker 2: So another stat that I thought was pretty interesting that we'll just kind of needs to form the basis or the undercurrent of this whole episode is that, so we keep talking about the US. There's wetlands found all over the world of different types and varieties and different climates and different different continents, every continent except Antarctica. But in the United States in particular, we have a long history of filling in and draining wetlands for other purposes. Yeah, so much so that let's see, I believe I don't know how much we've lost, but in the sixteen hundreds, the Lower forty eight States were covered with two hundred and twenty million acres of wetlands, which is eleven percent of the total surface area of the Lower forty eight States. And I think starting in the fifties we were doing away with wetlands at a rate of about sixty thousand of those acres per year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's gotten better since then. But yeah, in the boy up until the Clean Water Act, it was just like, hey, you know, it looked great. There a resort right with like three golf courses and a bunch of tennis.
Speaker 2: That's been such a driving force, Like it's it's like looking at land or ecosystems of being like are humans making money off of it. No, well, then drain it and re purpose it. Set it on fire and repurpose it. Stop it from burning, and repurpose it. Like, if we can't make money off of it, it can't possibly be useful. And luckily, since the environmental movement really started in the seventies, we've realized that that's not necessarily true. That even if you are just a heartless dummy, there's still a lot of benefits that humanity's given from things like wetlands that seem problematic or non productive. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was one of Dangerfield's big lines in Caddyshack, as al Cervik was a golf courses and cemeteries the two biggest waste of prime real estate.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about wetlands. You said that they are only some of them are only wet for short periods, sometimes when they're snow, melt or just rain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are called ephemeral wetlands, which is a cool term.
Speaker 1: That's a great term. Some are wet all the time, and the key parts of being a wetland or the key characteristic is that it's either permanently or periodically flooded or wet and that the soil is got it's called hydric soil and is dominated by anaerobic processes, meaning it loves water and the plants there love water.
Speaker 2: Which is weird because you used another word that shouldn't really jibe with plants, and that's called anaerobic, which means there's very little to no oxygen present. And we'll explain why later. But the fact that there are plants means that those plants have adapted to the wetlands, yes, and it makes anaerobic.
Speaker 1: Condition hydrophytic, and we'll talk about those plants later. It's another thing I love about wetlands. It's just that it really underscores the remarkable evolution that something will go through to survive.
Speaker 2: Very cool, very very awesome. Yeap. So there's also so you hit upon something like they're not necessarily wet year round, right right. So there's a whole bunch of different types of wetlands or wetland environments that fill those that check those by. One of the ones that most people think of when they think of wetlands or coastal wetlands, like marshes and a marsh is basically like this area between inland and the ocean. It's like a transition zone, a buffer zone. And because it's because of its proximity to the ocean, it's usually salty or at least brackish, which is a mixture of salt water and freshwater. And the one of the ones that really come to mind if you're thinking coastal wetlands, you're thinking marshlands, and you're thinking title Marshlands, probably especially if you're a Pat Conroy fan.
Speaker 1: What was the name of her character that he repeats over and over in a whisper.
Speaker 2: I think I remember, Chuck. It was Bobby Jim, Bobby Jim.
Speaker 1: This is one of those scream at the at the pod player moments.
Speaker 2: Was it in? Was it in the Prince of Tides? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Lowenstein?
Speaker 2: Was that it lost? You're sure it wasn't Bobby Jim. I think it was low Was it his oh his shrinks his shrink girlfriend's name, yeah, Babs, Okay, yeah, I don't remember. He goes Lowenstein.
Speaker 1: All right, So anyway, tidle Marshes, Yes, Prince of Tides. They obviously you're it's because they're tidal. They're going to come in and out with the high and low tide. And like you said, they are generally salt water, and the salt marshes are very nutrient rich, and they do have a lot of diversity, but obviously only the kind of things that can tolerate the salt as far as plants and animals.
Speaker 2: Go, which is a pretty short list really, because salt is not conducive to life. Instead, there are some plants that have figured out how to deal with salt, but most of the time when you're looking at salt marshes, you're looking the plant life is basically grass as of some sort. Right, there's also freshwater title marshes, which they are either connected to the salt water marsh, but they're far enough inland that the salt water doesn't make its way in there, so it's a freshwater marsh, but it still is affected by the tides. And then I had no idea about this, and I used to vacation on Lake Erie. But apparently the Great Lakes are so big that they have tides themselves.
Speaker 1: You didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I had no idea.
Speaker 1: I even knew that, And I'm a dumb dumb when it comes to the Great Lakes.
Speaker 2: Well, Chuck, I think you got me beat. Big time. Well in this case, because I could know a million other things about the Great Lakes, and if you knew that one thing and I didn't, you have me beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I knew that, And so that means that they do have those tidal marshes. The Florida Everglades are another good example. And boy, Florida just there's a lot of different types of wetlands in Florida.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of coastline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of coastline and a lot of interior wetness.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We have a lot of wetlands around our place in Florida, for sure. And there's mangroves and all sorts of stuff that we'll talk about.
Speaker 1: Well, we're at mangroves. I love those things.
Speaker 2: So mangroves, you don't think they at least deserve a short stuff because they're one of the most amazing plants of all time. But there they are. They're a type of coastal coastal wetland themselves, a mangrove forest where if you've never seen a mangro forest, they're these kind of they have a growth habit for their the shrubbery on top of like the hair that umpa lupa has in the original, the original Willy Wonka, the good one, and the trunks split out into these cool like long roots and legs that stick up out of the water, and they form this huge tangle, this riot of like shrub woody shrub, and they do all sorts of amazing things to help the aquatic life and us humans as well up on land just by being present.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're really cool looking. And this is another good one, sort of like the Origami that if you're able and you're sitting still, to look up a lot of these things as you go, because these mangrove for us, it looks like it looks like a shrub. That's like I really want to be a shrub, but I don't want to get wet, so I'm just gonna dip my legs in a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really great.
Speaker 1: It's just very cool looking. And again just the adaptability that these mangroves really want to live where they live, even though it's not very suited for them, and they've become suited for it.
Speaker 2: Right, if you've been sleeping on mangroves, Welcome to reality.
Speaker 1: Well that's a T shirt if I ever heard one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all. I could use a little work. But there's the beginnings of one in there.
Speaker 1: You also got your inland wetlands. These are not coastal in this case. We're talking about swamps and marshes and bogs and fens, f e en and marshes. A lot of these you'll find near rivers, near streams, lowland depressions, and they might periodically fill up depending on rain, what's going on, or different types of flooding that might happen, and they can be a few inches deep, they can be several feet deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Most of the non tidal inland marshes are ephemeral wetlands. Yeah, so they're dry a lot of the year. They might fill up seasonally, they might fill up with the rains. They might fill up with the nearby river flooding. It's like my backyard and they oh, really is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't drain. Well, I've got a drainage problem.
Speaker 2: Okay, to you, it's a problem to nature. It's wonderful because we'd like things that drain really quickly and dry and then we can walk on them and the grass is fine. But there's a lot of benefits to things that take their time. Like there's something called a vernal pool, which is a kind of non tidal marsh, an ephemeral wetland, and it's basically just like say a stretch of woods that's a little bit depressed there, so that when it rains or river floods, it fills with water. And because the underlying bedrock or clay is not very poorous, it takes a while for that water to go through. But that water is also not going further downstream, so it prevents flooding from being as bad as it could because a lot of the water collects and stays there, and it also slowly recharges the ground water. And because it does get dry, it can't sustain fish, which makes it a really great nursery for things like newts and salamanders and frogs, things that fish eat their eggs, but since there's no fish, this is like a really great place for them to get a good foothole and a brand new life.
Speaker 1: You've also got your prairie potholes. This is when you should definitely look up. These are usually in the upper Midwest of the United States, the Dakota's, Minnesota, maybe Wisconsin, and these are where glaciers ancient glaciers left these big depressions in the landscape and they fill up sometimes during rain, during the spring, during snow melt. And they're not small like I heard our prairie pothole and I got to vision in my head. But if you look it up online, they're beautiful and just they're very large though, and they're kind of interconnected, just these big round holes scattered through like a big open area full of water. And these are great for migrating birds because that could be a stopover that they might not have had had those potholes not been there.
Speaker 2: And when they're flying over the Dakotas, they say, look, I see Van Nostron's house, our buddy Van Nostrin. And then there's also we said that wetlands occur in all different kinds of climates. They also occur in the desert. There's something called Plia lakes, which are these depressions that apparently no one has any idea exactly how they formed. It could have been from erosion, it could have been from an ancient sinkhole. But there are depressions that are deep enough that when the seasonal rains come, the water is held in there and just like the prairie potholes. It's very useful for migratory birds to stop over at can really plays a huge role in this ecosystem where there's almost no water, and now all of a sudden, there's water, and it's in this nice little lake. So let's all go gather there and have a social hour, but responsibly six feet apart.
Speaker 1: That's right, Okay, I think we should take a break and we will talk a little bit about inland swamps right after this. All right, So inland swamps we promised to talk about that. These are, for my money, some of the coolest areas in the country, because I think I talked about it at some point. But I took a very special fun trip many many years ago to the Okefinoki Swamp and did one of those canoe trips where you have to rent. You know, there's no place to stop in the Okey Pinocchi Swamp if you're like, I think i'll camp here, it's like in the water, right, So they had these camping pads built up, essentially just decks that are like six feet above the water, and you have to reserve those. They're not just wide open for anyone because there's nothing else out there, so you have to reserve them for specific nights on these specific pathways or you know, paddle ways. And me and a couple of buddies did it one year and we canued from from deck to deck and very cool. It was amazing, Like one of the coolest trips I've ever taken.
Speaker 2: That is very cool was ned Baby with you.
Speaker 1: No, but you do wake up surrounded by alligators. It's a little creepy.
Speaker 2: Yes, alligators are very creepy, Like.
Speaker 1: You wake up on that pad and pee off the dock and they're growling at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you do not want to get too close because they can move faster than you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can. It was a lot of fun though, but not for the faint of heart, because you know, you don't realize until you out there, a how bad the sun is going to beat you up because there's no shade, and b how tough it is to paddle all day long without like, you know, let me get out and stretch my legs, right, I mean, there is no getting out. You just go and go and go, and by the time you finally reach that janky deck, it is like, might as well be the plaza hotel, you know, Oh nice, But what I'm talking about in the case of the Okefinoki, I thought it was a forested or a bottom bottom land hardwood swamp, you'd think from reading this, But apparently it's called a non riverine swamp forest, right, And that is a forested swamp that fills up from non river sources, basically rain or groundwater.
Speaker 2: Right right. So the what would make a forested swamp like a bottom land hardwood swamp is a proximity to a river that floods its banks or that is just so so big it kind of spills over into some of the surrounding land, and that surrounding land is swamp.
Speaker 1: I want to look that up, though I'm not quite your name's right.
Speaker 2: Well, it's okay. It's so it's either river fed or groundwater fed or precipitation fed. And if you're talking bottomland hardwood swamps, that's or a river fed swamp. There's usually also a shrub swamp, which is a transition or buffer zone between the forested swamp and you know, somebody's backyard, which is it's just dominated by shrubs. But it's all the same thing. It's all freshwater swamp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I bet you anything that ok Fino has several different types of these. It would be my guess, because there were full on lakes that we paddled through. Yeah, so that would be my guess. And I also think if I had a country band, they would we would be the Bottomland hardwood swamp rats.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good one, not bad. That sounds like an all star band, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So another kind of wetland that you're going to find all over the place, especially in Europe, which when I think of bogs and fens, I think of Europe, but apparently plenty of them in the United States too, But bogs and fens are kind of their own thing. Bogs in particular are very unique as far as wetlands go, because not only are they anaerobic, which by definition wetland is anaerobic soil, they're like very little nutrient and very high acidity. I've heard like the kind of acid that is put out by the peat that's created in the bog has the same acidity roughly of vinegar. It's like a yeah, it's really really acidic stuff, and yet some plants prefer it, like you can grow cranberries and blueberries in a bog. Sure you can preserve a body from the Iron Age forward. And do we ever coover that the bog bodies.
Speaker 1: I feel like we did. Maybe it might have been one of our video things on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Maybe mummies, because I think if I remember correctly, our Mummy episode covered more than just Egyptian mummies that they covered, like Inca mummies and the people. I'm sure we did. We saw some and when we went to uh on our UK trip, we got to visit some of those cats, like first hand, like right there in that in that glass, right, you know I have to do is smash it with a hammer and it's yours.
Speaker 1: You got a bog person, yeah, or at least whatever you can grab like a bog ear.
Speaker 2: Right just crumbles in your hand. But I was like, I was like, okay, why why are the the the bogs so great for preservation? Part of it, from what I understand, is that acidity that the bodies are actually pickled. But another part is the the aerobic life is so devoid there. There's just anaerobic bacteria and they don't decompose nearly as well as aerobic bacteria. So the decomposition doesn't set in and the remains are pickled, So like you can preserve a body in a really great state. Yeah, for a very like Toland man. You could his whiskers are still intact on his face. Yeah, like that was the level of preservation. And he was sacrificed into a bog, which is a very specific kind of wetland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a fin, like I said, it's f e n it's sort of like a bog in that it is a peat peaty wetland. But they're a little bit different than bogs. The water supply doesn't come primarily from rain and it comes from the ground, so it's not it's gonna be less acidic because I don't think we mentioned mentioned. I know it's partially because of the peat, but the acidity also comes from the fact that there's acid and rain that gets filling up, that fills up these bogs, right, But not the case in a fin.
Speaker 2: No, No, because that groundwater is able to kind of dilute it a little bit. So they're much more nutrient rich than a bog is. So they're going to have much a much wider diverse range of plants in animal life. Yeah, and this.
Speaker 1: I love that. This next section from Day was called other fun types of wetlands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mud flats, Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Get your mud flat. It's another good country band.
Speaker 2: My favorite are seeps. These are just gorgeous little pieces of nature. If you ask me, it's if you have a spring that comes up out of the ground, it spills over into the ground, so the surrounding ground is wetland, and it's called a seep. That's right. It's where gnomes like go and shower.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's not like you said, it's a spring, so it's not like a creek. No, it's actually coming up from the ground. You ever drink from a natural spring?
Speaker 2: I did when I was a kid. In it my mom fired the babysitter that like took us drink from a spring? Yeah, she was like, what are you doing. It was either a spring or like a river in Ohio, and either way.
Speaker 1: Two very different things. If it was like a Cyagara river, then you're in bad shape.
Speaker 2: It was on fire while we were drinking.
Speaker 1: But I mean, we have creeks. If you're listening, you've never been to Atlanta. Atlanta has creeks all over the place, Like all of the intowln neighborhoods just are riddled with creeks. They're just sort of out of view. But like, we have a creek, you know, one hundred and twenty from our house, sure, which might have something to do with our drainage, who knows.
Speaker 2: And it's spring fed.
Speaker 1: No, it's just you know, just a part of the Atlanta probably all comes from the Chattahoochee at some point.
Speaker 2: Sure, So, Chuck, if that creek behind your house started meandering in a different direction and left a body of water where it originally flowed, it would be an ox bow lake. But if you were in Australia and you were calling it this proper Aboriginal name, you'd call it a billabong, the billabong, which I had no idea. What does that have to do with surfing?
Speaker 1: Oh? I think they just probably co opted the name and it became more associated with surf and surf gear.
Speaker 2: Then it's true. Meaning that doesn't seem right.
Speaker 1: No, let's take it back.
Speaker 2: But that's what an ox bow lake is in Australia. Among the Aborigines, it is a bill of bong, which is great.
Speaker 1: And billibong that was some like along with op was one of the prime T shirts to have when you were a kid in the eighties.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if you were cool. I had this amazing op long sleeved blue shirt that I wore with my parachute pants. Those were the best my British nights.
Speaker 1: I remember those long sleeve op shirts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're good, gorgeous, so Chuck. One of the things we've been talking about is the kind of the characteristics that make a wetland a wetland. And it's not just the fact that the soil table or the ground is either flooded or almost completely flooded up to the surface level with water. That's not the entirety of it. Like, different wetlands are characterized by by how that water gets to it. Like we said, you know, some kinds of swamps are fed by groundwater, others are fed by precipitation, some are tidal. So there's a whole group of scientists out there that are called wetland hydrologists, and what they study is how that water gets into a wetland to create a wetland, what happens to it while it's there, and then where it goes, and how all these things kind of interact to form this very unique ecosystem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we talked early on about the kind of soil. Hydric soil is saturated with water, and so if it's saturated with water, it's not going to have nearly as much oxygen. And usually oxygen and soil are in these little tiny air pockets.
Speaker 2: Remember we talked about it in our Soil episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And in the case of a wetland, then those air pockets are going to be filled with water or just collapsed all together, and then you've got your anaerobic condition. But if your plant, you need CO two and oxygen, and you'll get a little bit of that from photosynthesis in the leaves, but the roots are like, what about meat down here? I need oxygen too, And if it was an aerobic soil, like we talked about in the Soil podcast, the roots can get it from those air pockets. But in wetlands they have to really really adapt to become hydrophytic or water loving plants some pretty amazing ways.
Speaker 2: So I just have to say that this is like a lifelong mystery solved and solved in like the simplest way possible. Like it's anaerobic because there's water there instead of air. The air can't be in there because the water's there ipso facto anaerobic. I just I just think that's brilliantly simple. Yeah. Did you get that intuitively? Because I never did. I always thought it was something mysterious, like we're talking about a whole different type of soil or something else.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, No, I think I got it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well it was. I've been around for forty four years and wondered it until just now.
Speaker 1: Well I'm forty nine, so I might have worn that in the last five years.
Speaker 2: So the plants that we're talking about, like, they, like you said, the roots still need oxygen. So they've said, Okay, well I really like it here. I like this wet land area. This is a pretty amazing place to live. I'm going to change so that I can stay here. And some of the ways that plants have adapted, well, one good example is a cattail. Right. Cattail are pretty much synonymous with marshalans. Yeah, they're beautiful. They're that long, thin stem with like a big fat thing on top, like a hot dog that's ready to be roasted on the fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I grew up with those. I don't know if it was the southern thing. But they can be decorative items in the home. And I grew up I feel like with a lot of cattails in vases and stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that in wasps nests, yeah, or it's nests. Yeah. So cattails have this thing called air nicum. No, I've got aeriniicima, aerne chyma, aerne chyma. I think I got it. Anyway, they're like these these channels that basically direct air from the leaves and the stem and every other part of the cattail down to the roots. It says, here you go, roots, here's some oxygen fresh from the leaf.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that cattail can have as much roots as it wants down in this anaerobic soil. It doesn't matter because it's getting its oxygen from the air through the leaves.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of my favorites is the speckled alder. You just look up a picture of that, and they have these enlarged pores called lentisills, and they allow for the passage of oxygen directly into that wood. And if you look up a picture and you see those, you go, oh, that's what those are. That's what those are for. They look like someone took a knife and they're just tiny little horizontal slits all up and down the alder i guess, and they're breathing.
Speaker 2: Basically, Yeah, that's creepy as heck, but it's like really neat.
Speaker 1: Little mouths, little slitty mouths.
Speaker 2: So are the grasses that we talked about growing in salt marshes. Just like an iguana sneezes out excess salts as part of digestion, things like cord grass that grow in these salt marshes, they actually excrete salts through their leaves, so they can sit there and take all the nutrients they need from this cylinic ironment and still not get overloaded with salt. It's just pretty amazing that they can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then to me, maybe the most amazing, and this is where the mangroves kind of come back in. Although the mangroves apparently utilize all these to stick around, but the bald cypress they grow in those forested swamps where there's always water and they are deciduous conifers, and they grow this root structure that they call a knee. It's a new metaphor, but like a knee on your leg. Is how it's spelled. And they just sit above the water line and take in oxygen. And that's what those I guess, mangroves, man crooves. There's a soul train joke in there somewhere.
Speaker 2: It struck me as like a terrible jam band's name the mangroves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, you're right, that play somewhere in Florida probably probably. But the man grove uses, like I said, a lot of these tricks, and I think certainly when you see those roots, they're using those knees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is basically it's a it's a it's a way to get oxygen from the surrounding air down to the roots. The mangroves do it. The bald cypresses do it. Mangroves have all those adapt adaptations different species thing. They can do things like excrete salt, They can draw oxygen in from the environment. They have channels where they can pump oxygen from one part of the plant to the other. The one that gets me though, I'm just fascinated by bogs. So we said that there it's an acidic, anaerobic, nutrient depleted environment, and yet there's still plants that live there. And one of those plants. One kind of plant is carnivorous plants. They get their nutrients not from like the soil, but from eating bugs. Yeah, so they can just live there like a pitcher plant or a venus flytrap or something like that. Yeah, those are nature. Wasn't Venus Flytrap one of the DJs on WKRP.
Speaker 1: That's a great DJ name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he was a great DJ.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's take our final break and we'll talk about why wetlands are important and what you can do to help them do their thing right after this.
Speaker 2: Okay, Chuck. So, just the fact that wetlands are as amazing as they are means that they should be saved. But there's also like a lot of benefits that we figured out. Like you said, the fifties to the seventies were a really rough time for wetlands in the United States because we were filling them in for cropland for real estate, and even previous to that, we filled in a lot of marshland in the US and built cities over them, like DC was built largely on marshland. The fact that mosquitoes tend to live in wetland areas kind of justified filling in a lot of the wetlands because we were dealing with malaria at the time, so it made a lot of sense. Get rid of the mosquitos habitat, you get rid of the mosquitos, and it worked. But we've paid a heavy price for it, because over time we've realized these wetlands provide some really important benefits to the local ecosystems and in turn humans who live around them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, helping flood conditions is a big one. They are big, big natural sponges when it comes down to it, and flooding would be way, way worse. And we still have floods obviously, but it'd be way worse if we didn't have wetlands. They'd be far more destructive if they weren't around to soak in that excess water and then kind of slowly trickle it to the water table below, and the same It was obviously true of hurricanes and big storm surges. The wetlands basically operate as big storage tanks for water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw somewhere. I can't find it now, but like it. Oh there it does. An acre of wetlands can hold up to about a million and a half gallons of water just one acre, so you got to think like that water's staying put there and it's not flooding some human habitation instead, which is a good reason to keep wetlands around just for that that buffer area, or to slow down the surge like you were saying. I also saw that we found out the same thing goes for beaver dams that they build. They're like a temporary artificial wetland, and they provide a lot of the same functions that natural or other I guess naturally occurring or growing wetlands provide too. And I think we should do a whole episode on Beaver's. Okay, oh, totally into Beaver's. So water filtration is is another is it water? I'm getting you back for the Oregon thing. So water filtration is a is another big service that wetlands provide. I don't remember where we talked about this, but we talked about it recently. Where the water oh I think it was water treatment plants. Yeah, the water's brought in and it's got all the sediment and gunk and muck, and it's cloudy and turbid, and then it slows down. They slow it down like running it through some grates or whatever, and as it slows down, the sediment that is making the water turbine and polluted and everything has a chance to settle the bottom. Well, wetlands provide that same function naturally. So when you have a bunch of like polluted water basically come through there, it slows down when it hits all those mangrove roots or tree trunks or whatever it is, and it gives it a chance for that sediment to fall to the bottom. It's gets sucked up by the tree roots and stored in the trees, or the microbial life can break a lot of that stuff down too. And there's definitely a limit to where you can very easily overload the wetlands ability to filter the water. But if you gave it like a manageable supply, that is a major service that it does. Is it cleans water. They call wetlands the kidneys of the earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they they've even done studies where they tried to, i guess, sort of monetize what an area of wetland might do if it were a treatment plant. And there's one in South Carolina called the Congaree Bottomland Hardwood Swamp. These are just all country bands for sure is They said that that is basically equivalent to about a five million dollar water treatment plant just sitting there being a wetland doing its thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you Nature.
Speaker 1: Pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: I saw that beavers provide the dams that they build that end up being temporary wetlands that somebody estimated it's worth about one hundred grand if a human tried to build an artificial one, which we do that if you just let beavers do their thing, they will they will do the same thing for free. That's right. You don't have to pay them one hundred grand. Nope. There's also because there's so much going on in a wetland, there's so much life, they kind of form like these metropolis is for all sorts of different types of animals all the way up the food chain, including plants, animals, microbial life, worms, fish, larger predators like dolphins and alligators, and all of them are sitting there providing food for us. If you like gator tail, buddy, you better preserve those wetlands.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Dave points out here that the commercial fishing industry in the US, seventy five percent of the fish and shellfish harvested here had fish that at least had a temporary home in the wetlands, and that recreationally. If you're a recreational fish person fisher person, then ninety percent of the US fish catch is at least the breeding ground lies in the wetlands for those fish.
Speaker 2: And the same thing goes for birds too. Enormously important habitats for birds, some permanent, but also migratory too, because if you're flying along and you're a bird, and you are a water bird and you need a place to land, not only are you looking for water, but you might really enjoy a swamp because it offers protection from predators, it offers a port in the storm. It's just an all around valuable thing for birds too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, imagine flying from Canada to Texas and you're going over Oklahoma and you're a little tired. You look down, you see one of those which ones? Were those?
Speaker 2: The prairie plias, the prairie potholes.
Speaker 1: Prairie potholes. Yeah, oh, man, sight, aren't you describing a scene in Jonathan Livingston Siegull.
Speaker 2: Probably so.
Speaker 1: So the point is we need to take care of our wetlands because they are a threatened, diverse, very useful place all over the world, especially here in the United States, and if they are threatened and if things happen, there are going to be all kinds of bad things, you know, vegetative damage, the plant life just being maybe wipened out, wiped out altogether.
Speaker 2: Storm searches being way worse, flooding being way worse especially, helps to see the value in them if you consider them a buffer zone between us and the hardest ravages of nature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like you mentioned, pollution, there is a limit, but they do absorb and mitigate levels of water pollution, and they just can't take too much of us, you know.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, which, man, if there's anything that characterizes humans of the twentieth and twenty first centuries, it's too much of us. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: What can we do though, well, such donating to wetland projects. We can definitely do that.
Speaker 2: You can definitely do that. There's some good ones out there. I believe Ducks Unlimited as one of them, the Wetlands Initiative, Natural Resources Defense Council, Wetlands International. But apparently in the United States something like seventy five percent of wetlands are on privately owned property, and in the United States, we have I mean, private property is one of like the fundamental tenets of American society. So if you say, I want to fill in this wetland and kill off these beavers, you're allowed to do that. Whether that's a good idea and whether that's going to affect other people, that's a different story. So if you own private property with a wetland on it and you're doing just fine with that wetland, leave the wetland alone. It's very important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess this is where it gets a little tricky in definitions, because in plenty of places there are restrictions on building near water like this. Sure, I guess, I just don't know. Like you can't build in a flood zone. You can't. I mean, it depends on where you are, But in Atlanta you can't. And then with these all these creeks and streams in Atlanta, they have what's called stream buffers. Sure, fifty foot seventy five foot, one hundred foot and I think I think twenty five is the lowest. And for these you have to get variances to do anything, which your neighborhood has to approve. And I talk to a guy that Apparently anything over anything under seventy five feet is pretty pretty tricky to get approved. So I don't know if they're wetlands or not, but there are restrictions on stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Okay. So that brings up the next point of what you and I and everybody else can do, which is vote for people for to local elected office who part of their platform is protecting wetlands. Yeah, like all of those buffer zones, all those variances, and all those prohibitions. Tho, those came from Atlanta City councils over the years that decided that wetlands needed protecting. You don't find those everywhere, but once they get put in place, they usually don't get repealed very easily. So if you make preserving wetland it's part of what you're voting for, that would have an impact for sure. Yeah, and whatever you're voting for, just vote, okay, vote especially.
Speaker 1: I know everyone the presidential elections are always the big sexy votes, but the local politics matters even more almost sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I vote for all of it. Take an interest in in your society. Yeah, okay, Well, you got anything else about wetlands. Nope, I don't either. This is a good one. I'm pretty happy with it. And since I said that, everybody, it's time for listener mail. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna call this the first s y five K.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yeah, did you see these? Yes? Man, Congratulations everybody who took part.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what happened was some stuff you should know. Listeners got together and put together five k stuff you should know five K, and we got periodic updates from Aaron Huey, Mizelle or Myzell. I'm not sure how you pronounce it.
Speaker 2: I'm going with Mizel Mizelle.
Speaker 1: But this is this is the final email about how it went. Hey, guys, want to let you know that the s y five K is over. It was so nice to look at everyone's pictures and hear what episodes of stuff you should know they listened to because that was the idea. Imagine some people might have fudged that and listened to Mark Maron or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's not like they're disqualified.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of us have suffered from a lack of human connection at this time, and the silly little virtual event gave us something to bond over. I don't think I would have tried this with any other group of people. The stuff you should Know Army is wonderful and it speaks volumes in regard to you guys. The tone that you set in your podcast, interesting and funny, carries over into your fan base and it's created a little lovely corner of the Internet. I totally agree, Aaron, And the same can be said of the movie Crush page. Very very good people, not snipy or rude and going after each other on Facebook, which is kind of what Facebook seems to be all about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's like a garden paradise over there on the SYSK Army page.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's great.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not suggesting that you made these people wonderful, but the average stuff you should know Army member is like that, interesting, funny and willing to participate in a virtual five K with a complete stranger.
Speaker 2: And they love stroop waffles.
Speaker 1: I even about thirteen stuff you should Know stickers to send out to some people as surprizes. It's just a little thing. But everyone that I've been in touch with has been exceedingly kind. This is what we need right now, these small human connections. A podcast to listen to and laugh with, a walk run Bear chase to do virtually with a bunch of near strangers and a stuff you should know sticker to pull on your fridge or on your laptop. If you get a chance to go to the event page and scroll through some of the posts, they're delightful, like the woman who did our five K at three months postpartum and crushed it, or the dad who pushed his adorable daughter in her stroller on the five K while listening to his favorite episode, which was Spam. We had first timers, ye, that was a good one. We had first timers, people recovering from injury, runners and walkers, so many smiles and stuff you should know t shirts. Sign off for now, but just writing and tell you as a success we might even do it again with love. And that is again from Aaron Huey Mozelle and that is great. Aaron, thank you for doing this and that really does speak to to the quality of our listeners in every single way.
Speaker 2: Indubitably. Yeah, thanks a lot, Aaron. It's good to hear from you and everybody who participated in the s y five K. You are the champions, our friend.
Speaker 1: Even if you listen to Mark Maren.
Speaker 2: But maybe not. What Chuck just said, that's it okay. Well, if you want to get in touch with this like Aaron did and do something interesting, we want to hear about it. You can write to us in an email to Stuff Podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff you Should Know is a production of Iheartradios How Stuff Works. More podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.