Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Monday, April thirteenth, and a papal clapback with that, Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Robes. This was the kindest, gentlest clapback you're ever going to hear. But I don't need the idea of Trump versus Leo. Sounds ridiculous, but that's kind of what we got going on, Robes. But we just heard from Pop Leo and he is bringing the temperature down.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I do actually appreciate the fact that he isn't shying away from his earlier comments about promoting peace, about asking people to call their elected officials to urge their leaders for calm, for no more bombs. He's not backing down from anything he said. And if anything, a little bit of his Chicago side came into it, I think a little because he couldn't help himself. He had it a little jab at the end, but it was in the most tasteful, respectful way a pope could possibly poke a president back.
Speaker 1: Okay, this all started because the President took the pope to task in a way that really shocked a lot of people. And at this moment, as we're recording this, here the top trending topics on x are Pope, Catholic, Vatican, blasphemy, Antichrist, gospel. Those are all in your top ten. Wow, this is being talked about roled in such a way because it's one thing we were used to the president actually saying calling women piggy. We're used to the president calling people all kinds of names. There was something robes about the idea of him going after the Pope that I think, isn't it fair? Just went a little while You've been saying, why is he even a question of this going over the line.
Speaker 3: He didn't just go a little over the line. He went a lot over the line.
Speaker 2: He called Pope Leo week, He called him terrible. He said that Leo should be grateful to him, claiming that he is the reason why Pope Leo was elected pope. And it was it was brazen, it was disrespectful, and some could even say slightly delusional.
Speaker 1: Ah, and we didn't even mention the picture.
Speaker 2: I didn't even mention the picture which could be considered, as you point out, one of the trends on social media, blasphemous.
Speaker 1: He depicted himself as a if not like if not Jesus at least a Jesus type character healing the sick, a saint.
Speaker 3: At least, at the very least, But mostly.
Speaker 2: It looked a lot like Jesus Christ with Trump's face, that would be the best way I could describe it. But he had light emanating from his hands, healing someone like having supernatural powers.
Speaker 3: That's what it.
Speaker 1: Looked like, Okay, And that's how the President went after the Pope. Yes, the Pope has been you could argue robe some would say, not critical of the president, but critical of war, critical of anybody who is promoting death, critical of anybody who would suggest that we want to wipe a civilization out. The Pope is saying he is a messenger and he is using the Gospel, what he believes in, what he knows, to speak out against what he sees in the world. I think that's what all popes have said they've done, but this president has taken issue with it. But the Pope was on a plane we just got earlier today some responses that were kind of trickling out. The Pope had been on a plane heading to Algeria, where he is now, and he had made some comments. Those comments started trickling out, and now we've actually gotten the video and we hear the audio that we're going to let you hear in a moment. But robes generally speaking the response that he made. Obviously, he wasn't attacking Trump directly. He wasn't saying Trump needs to do He's nothing like that has ever come out of his mind.
Speaker 2: No. In fact, I think the best way to describe it, he's not come after or even named President Trump specifically, but he has come after the Trump administration policy. And so whether it's immigration and ice or now, yes, multiple wars. It's not necessarily a war that we went into Venezuela, but certainly we went in and took a world leader and imprisoned him here in our own country. So I don't know how you want to describe that, but we went in and disrupted a country because we didn't like what he was doing. And now we've gone in and bombed the heck out of another country because we don't like what they're doing.
Speaker 1: And again, when we say the critical of the administration, it's all through gospel, right. He is seeing and he's not a guy who's taking a left or a right on anything. He's like, I got this in my hand, this Bible, this Gospel and what it tells me that what I'm seeing in the world, no matter if you're left or right, what I'm seeing in the world, and he speaks out on that is what I think.
Speaker 3: Popes do call for peace.
Speaker 1: That is what Pope's So after all this this morning, we weren't able to get this ahead of time. Again, this happened just a short time ago. To the actual video and the audio is coming out. But this is the Pope's response. Again. He's on the plane. You'll hear a little noise in the background, but he's surrounded by reporters doing a little gaggle, and of course they asked the Pope, Pope Leo about Trump's comments and criticism. This is what he said. He goes about a minute and a half. So we'll take a listen to the Pope.
Speaker 4: My message, the message of the Gospel blessed other peacemakers. I do not look at my role as being political politician. I don't want to get into it to make with him. I don't think that the message of the Gospel is meant to be abused in the way that some people are doing.
Speaker 1: And I will continue to speak out.
Speaker 4: About listens against war, looking to promote peace, promoting dialogue and multilateral relationships among the states, to look for just solutions the problems. Too many people are suffering in the world today. Too many innocent people are refilled, and I think someone has to stand up and say there's a better way to put this. I have no figure either the drunk administration nor speaking out loudly about the message in the gospels. And that's what I believe. I am called to do what the church is called to do. If we're not politicians, we're not looking to make foreign policies. He calls it with the same perspective that he might understand it. But I do believe the pro mess of the Gospel, Blessed of the Peacemakers is a message of the ward needs to hear.
Speaker 1: Tim Blessed are the peacemakers, Robes, Blessed are the peace makers, and that's a message the world needs to hear. That's how you wrap that up. But Robes, it flies directly in the face of what we are seeing. Right, But we can't see everything through a religious lens. I understand, but his job is to do so.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean he is there basically as.
Speaker 2: A leader to guide the one point four million or sorry million, I was gonna say billion, right, it's billion.
Speaker 1: Why am I.
Speaker 2: Questioning one point four billion Catholics around the world. Sorry, yeah, fifty plus million here in the United States alone.
Speaker 3: But he is leading them through the lens of Christ. And what is Christ's name? We're taught as we come up, at least I was through Catholic school. He is the Prince of Peace.
Speaker 2: That is what Jesus Christ's moniker is. And so yes, it would not be surprising. And frankly, it's what his job is. It's what he was elected to do, to promote peace, to promote the word of God, to promote Jesus Christ's teachings around the world.
Speaker 1: Suffering of innocent people. I mean, he spoke, and I'm not sure. We haven't gotten a response yet from the president, and I hope we don't get into some it is. You see, this is what political pundits do. This is what hell celebrities even do podcasters do, right, They go after each other back and forth, and then you see the headline so and so on, claps back again, so and so on, so on. It's back against and someone's accusations. I do not want to see a pope versus president every day in the headline.
Speaker 2: I don't either. But Iran, Waydan, which I thought was quite interesting. We have a president Mussud Pozsessshikian of Iran. He put this out on social media after he saw this back and forth. He said, I condemned the insult to your excellency on behalf of the great nation of Iran.
Speaker 1: Good Lord, have mercy. Even Iran is taking up for the pope correct against the president of the United States. Yes, there was some sarcasm in there. Sure, Yes, there's some snarkiness in there. Sure, but Robes, there is some symbolism in there as well. Uh.
Speaker 2: Yes, And look you've got basically the leader of a Muslim nature nation.
Speaker 3: Condemning up for your excellency, Pope Leo.
Speaker 2: And yes, condemned what President Trump said about him. That is something I honestly did not think I would ever see in my lifetime.
Speaker 1: Defending him again, this is what the President said. If you didn't get the details, we'll give you some of the verbatim of what's set all those back and forth off there. All right, we continue here on Amy and TJ. On this Monday, which was it's been an interesting one that we got the pope versus the prayers in a back and forth that has taking place a lot of it on social media. Robes will remind folks it was a long post, but this we do need to remind you what the President actually said today about the pope that set all this off in the first place. You have that one in front.
Speaker 3: I do have it, yes, he said.
Speaker 2: Pope Leo is weak on crime and terrible for foreign policy. He talks about fear of the Trump administration, but doesn't mention the fear that the Catholic Church and all other Christian organizations had during COVID when they were arresting priests, ministers, and everybody else for holding church services, even when going outside and being ten and even twenty feet apart. I like his brother Lewis much better than I like him, because Lewis is all maga.
Speaker 3: He gets it, and Leo doesn't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to pope who thinks it's okay for Iran to have a nuclear weapon. I don't want to pope who thinks it's terrible that America attacked Venezuela, a country that was sending massive amounts of drugs into the United States and even worse, emptying their prisons including murderers, drug dealers, and killers into our country. And I don't want a pope who criticizes the President of the United States, because I'm doing exactly what I was elected in a landslide to do, setting record low numbers in crime and creating the greatest stock.
Speaker 3: Market in history.
Speaker 2: Leo should be thankful because, as everyone knows, he was a shocking surprise. He wasn't on any list to be pope and was only put there by the church because he was an American and they thought that would be best be the best way to deal with President Donald J.
Speaker 3: Trump.
Speaker 2: If I wasn't in the White House, Leo wouldn't be in the Vatican. Unfortunately, Leo's week on Crime, week on nuclear weapons doesn't sit well with me, nor does the fact that he meets with Obama sympathizers like David Axelrod, a loser from the left who was one of those who wanted churchgoers and clerics to be arrested. Leo should get his act together as pope, use common sense, stop catering to the radical left, and focus on being a Great Pope, not a politician. It's hurting him very badly, and more importantly, it is hurting the Catholic Church. Now, I do think it's cool, but Leo did get a little spicy, and he did ask. He did say when was asked specifically about Trump's comments on True Social he said, it's ironic the name of the side itself say no more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't find that part of the video, but I was looking for it. But yeah, that was as and it wasn't even mean. But you don't know if it'll set off a back and forth this with oh, yeah, we didn't mention the reason the president got upset. Apparently this message went out not too long after. He was watching his favorite.
Speaker 2: Check sixty Minutes on CBS, where Yes Nora O'Donnell, a correspondent there, interviewed three archbishops who were.
Speaker 3: Critical of the Trump administration policies.
Speaker 2: And again, I never heard anyone say anything specifically about the president.
Speaker 3: Himself, just his policies.
Speaker 2: And that is something that has been accepted and is something that we have seen happen since the beginning of time. That is usually what politicians do or even perhaps world leaders or folks who have mass followings. You if you don't like something that's happening, you may criticize the policy, but not the person. That's not what Trump does. When he's upset with someone's words or an action by anyone or a country, he gets personal, and that's what he did.
Speaker 1: This is almost This sounds like a breakup. This sounds like somebody who actually got who was emotional over something that somebody in their relationship did and just decided to say the meanest stuff to make them hurt. You're weak and remember that thing you did five years ago during COVID that was messed up too. And you know what, I like your brother better anyway. So mmm, and you know what, you wouldn't be anything without me. I'm the only reason you have that job. You need to get it together. You just hanging out with all these losers robes. It sounds like an emotional breakup. It sounds like somebody when we calmed down, you wouldn't say this stuff I'm saying. It sounds that low. I'm saying. This doesn't sound like the two most powerful men in the world exchanging ideas. That sounds like a petty It really is. You know you wouldn't even have a job if it wasn't for me.
Speaker 2: When you put it in that tone, it's exactly exactly what he said, and that's exactly where it's coming from. And look, hy predicted. I didn't think the Pope would clap back at all. I'm kind of surprised he did, but I appreciate how he did it.
Speaker 1: We should stop saying clapback.
Speaker 3: Even the New York Times saying clap they really are and that's how everyone's describing it.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't mean spirited. I know it gives people to click on stuff that is, but the guy responded the only way, the best way. He answered these questions. You knew he was going to get robes, but we wanted to give you all the update. We didn't expect to see the video we wanted to pass along. We saw that the Pope had in fact made these comments on camera. More to come on this, We're sure, and we will be updating you here. As always, we appreciate you spending time on TJ on behalf of my dear auntie Tucks