Speaker 1: But all right, job.
Speaker 2: All across the USC Compton, Watts Bay to LA come on to California day from Owley to Valley.
Speaker 1: We represent that Keller County.
Speaker 2: So if you're keeping it real on your side of your town, you tune into Gainst the Chronicles The Coronic Goals.
Speaker 3: We gonna tell you.
Speaker 1: How we goals. If I lie, my notes will girl like Pinocchio.
Speaker 3: We're gonna tell you the truth and nothing but the truth.
Speaker 1: Gangs the Chronic Goals. This is not your average shows.
Speaker 2: You're now tuned into the rail mc ain't, Big Change and Big Steals the streets.
Speaker 4: Hello, Welcome to the Gangst the Chronicles podcast, the production of iHeart Radio and Black Effect Podcast Network. Make sure you download the iHeart app and subscribe to Against the Chronicles. For my Apple users, hit the Purple Michael on your front screen. Subscribed Against the Chronicles, leave a start rating the comment Where's appening, What's happening?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 4: We'd like to welcome you to another episode of the Gainst the Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 3: I Am Big Still with my guy man tonight Man.
Speaker 4: We have another legendary figure up in here, man from the city of San Diego. Man hit the scene Big.
Speaker 3: Man with Triggeration Station, and it seemed like he been the mission since then. Makes you slick? Make you what's happening with your baby doing? Man? Chilling? Man? Glads?
Speaker 4: You can come down here, man, especially in the rain. Man, you don't you don't have like a two hour track. Man down here, man from San Diego.
Speaker 1: Man, come see y'all that ain't nothing.
Speaker 3: It's raining like a motherfucker outside. Should we appreciate you? May pull up.
Speaker 1: I'm pulling up.
Speaker 5: I'm right, I'm about ship fifty miles from where you're down there.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's a ride. Yeah, ate right by you, dog, y'all neighbors, y'all.
Speaker 1: Be saying that shit. But that's far as far as.
Speaker 3: A motherfucker.
Speaker 4: As far as a motherfucker a man. So you've man in hip hop.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Hip hop is one of those careers man, to where it's almost like the NFL. It's like the average lifespan man average career or a rapper man is something like one and a half two years something like that. Now, man, and you've managed to be getting busy since went since the.
Speaker 1: Nineties, right, I put my first album out in like two thousand and one, two.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and two Trigger Ration Station, and you said you put that out with the homies.
Speaker 1: Right strictly independent. I mean I'm talking about straight the brown paper bag was my was my you know, my label straight up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was just us as a lot of people was back then. A lot of brothers got together, man was you know, the street money man street currency and put their labels together. The distribution we was talking about wald up the City Hall, Bayside.
Speaker 1: And all and that that them das them days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you had a little bit of paper, you could really get some cracking man and you hit I think, shoot, you hit the top twenty on Billboard with.
Speaker 3: That album, you didn't you?
Speaker 1: Independent?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Independent hurts like number thirteen something like that. Thirteen the album in this country. That was for ourselves. I mean we cooked it up, ourselves, promoted ourselves. Didn't know what the fuck we was doing. Just had a team of homies that was excited about actually being able to.
Speaker 1: Have a chance to be in the game. After watching a lot of homies and surrounds, especially the La Homies comped the homies do their thing, I was like for the homies, I was like brand new shit. So we didn't know what we were doing, but we was. We was happy about doing it, and we pretty much just word of mouth the project.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, you know what, and sometimes that's the best strategy, bro, that's the best strategy. You don't nothing to beat the streets.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you had a word of mouth was real, real official back in the days, you know, I guess, you know, trying to be an artist, you know, coming from the neighborhoods and whatever, we saw all the accolades of being on you know, the l L cool j's and the run DMCs being on labels. So a lot of motherfuckers thought that was the way to go. But a lot of motherfuckers was independent, you know, coming if you look at l A, you know, hip hop, a lot of the forefathers, you know, started off independently, the Toddy.
Speaker 3: T's, the Wrecking crews, Easy started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of a lot of l A artists started off like independent. We was on techno hop, King t Ice Tea was on techno Hop. Lonzo had Crew Cut, which was the Wrecking Crew, which was Dre and them. You know, Easy had Ruthless. We was shipped. We was kind of born and bringing on independency coming up in in the early eighties, and ship as far as hip.
Speaker 3: Hop concern because.
Speaker 5: Labels wasn't fucking with what especially when it came to our side, you know what I'm saying. Uh, you know they, like I said, it was the run DMCs, the Houdini's, the ship like that, so uh, but when it came to West Coast music, Uh, it was kind of venturing into another side for them.
Speaker 3: So they was they was treacher.
Speaker 5: They was terrified of niggas like us, especially grabbing a microphone, you know, watching movies like Colors and Ship compared to like The Warriors and Ship. You compare The Warriors to Colors and Ship, it was a whole different Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was cartoon like what the fuck is these niggas do?
Speaker 5: So it kind of terrified record labels from fucking with niggas like us until it just started being too lucrative, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had to and you know you being you had two things, bro.
Speaker 4: You was from San Diego, and I think at that time the only person that people had heard of has some notoriety was jail right, And at that time, it wasn't that many bloods in the business.
Speaker 1: It wasn't no blood.
Speaker 3: It wasn't no blood you had to around.
Speaker 1: But when I first started coming to La, man, you got a man look.
Speaker 3: Listen, Man, yeah you was at the time people was really banned.
Speaker 1: Listen. I'm gonna tell you one experience. And I don't know if being from Compton in La, y'all really can understand what this is like on me. But imagine I got to explain to imagine in La if a gang like East Coast of the sixties was bloods, imagine how deep that is in the landscape of even though it ain't as many niggas to scale. That's kind of how San Diego was. That don't mean that you don't worry about bloods in La just because the crips is deep, or you don't worry about you know. It ain't that it was so few crips that no nigga crips was active. As a motherfucker San Diego. You ain't safe nigga out here too much. But just to be coming from a city like that. And then my first l a trip to LA. The first day I went out to La to get out and do my ship with Jinks. This nigga, take me to that. That's that that summer jam where the where the niggas went.
Speaker 3: Mm. That was your first in La. For those in La.
Speaker 1: The first day I went around La, niggas was at that summer jam and I never seen no nigga. That's when it was about five hundred cribs nigga in one pack. Nigga moving around niggas and they got it in the fo. I had to stand off with them and they got on the do MoU homies and they run up on stage and l L was on stage and Nigga. That's the first day I went to l A. I was like, all right, honey, we gotta go, we gotta we gotta rechaculate how we move in l A. And I and I started learning how to move in La because at that time, Homemy, every every wrap circle it was basically the hood, you know what I mean? Like you know, it wasn't like no, I mean you had death roll or whatever. You know what I'm saying. Where it was different niggas. But for the most parts, if you wrap with eight and them you and Compton with the crips, if you rap with mag T and you a nigga would with the if you wrap with quick you would you know, you were comp San Diego nigga and just come to La where I'm you know. And so the niggas that kind of open their arms to me, Hommy was niggas that wasn't really gang members artists. So that'd be like the alcoholics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: You always had alcoholics. That's how I met crime and feeling all them from being in the arena of niggas that was just about rapping on you.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what I was gonna say. You had a lot of love.
Speaker 4: As crazy as it is, you was a gangster rapper, but you had a lot of love from the underground cats.
Speaker 1: That's from that.
Speaker 4: That's from yeah, because at that time Exhibit people, I think people seem to forget that Exhibit had the whole career before he was with Dre right, you know, it was King t and put him on and they was just the homies. They was just the rapping niggas, you know what I mean. It wasn't really no gang, you know, they was the crew. Was the crew, Yeah, yeah, definitely. You didn't look at them as gang bangers like that. But when you saw like CMW, you knew them some crips, you know what I'm saying. When you saw quicken Than you knew.
Speaker 3: Them, the pirut homeless, and when you saw.
Speaker 4: You know whoever else, you knew where they was from. You know the Snoop and them Snoopers from twenties and Long Beach.
Speaker 3: You pretty much knew everybody's gang affiliation. But then with the kids, rads, cans and exhibiting.
Speaker 4: Them was like barbershop. I like to call them the what was my boys? The wake Up show Cats?
Speaker 1: Hey them Nick, listen, I'm my first one of my first trips to l A. These niggas take me to the wake Up Show. Hey, they got me on the wake Up Show busting. I don't even know who these niggas is. I'm just thinking we rapping this sh nigga, I'm on the wake Up Show. But the way that jocks you miss the fab I was so green to the to the ship, but that's the only place.
Speaker 4: You had to have some time, and you had to have some bars up there for swinging tickets.
Speaker 1: They had didn't even know it on me. I just thought I was rapping, just that's just what I gotta do.
Speaker 5: That's the beauty of of of Like you said, when you're being when you're able to come into the ship without the gang affiliation and niggas just trying to hear you on some rap ship. I mean because I was on just hip hop ship.
Speaker 1: I did me.
Speaker 3: I wasn't trying to uh.
Speaker 5: Be associated as far as my music was concerned, I was hip hop man.
Speaker 1: The vocabulary that she was using was even hip hop.
Speaker 5: Just I just you know, because nigga was already doing the hood ship and and like I said, a lot of a lot of uh, a lot of my heroes was from the East Coast, you get me. I grew up listening to L L and Cool mo O d and and and those dudes. And so when you were able to listen to them just focus on hip hop, it was able to keep me away from the gang affiliation in my music.
Speaker 3: You get me.
Speaker 5: That part was just because the nigga was banging already. You get me. I'm I'm nigga. It wasn't about trying to image nigga. Khakis was cheap, you get me. T shirts was cheap. Fucking Cortez was cheap, so that was all. That was our peril. You get me, and especially when you.
Speaker 3: Ain't got moms or dad buying.
Speaker 5: Your clothes and you already walking around fourteen fifteen affiliated nigga, I don't give a fuck about rapping or nothing.
Speaker 3: Nigga.
Speaker 5: The tire is finna be a sweatshirt, khakis and motherfucking cortez.
Speaker 4: He and I would say at that time too, eight wasn't nobody really because gang banging was so serious at that time. Whatn't everybody knew we could really kick off? So you didn't really hear people talking about their neighborhoods on records like that.
Speaker 1: You never know where a nigga was even from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't want to do.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to do color shit on the records because I wanted to talk about every nigga that was gang banging, right, I didn't. I didn't just go fuck that. I'm just gonna focus on the crypt niggas. I knew blood homies was banging my ship too, so I didn't want to alienate them. B going, man, all this nigga talking about is crypt is crypt that crypt that crypt that.
Speaker 3: So we didn't do that.
Speaker 5: We just was like in the neighborhood, this would go down in the neighborhood. This would go down, I know in my neighborhood to go down, So it got to go down in your neighborhood. So we as count as most wanted never focused on like you know, we was like, nigga, we've been we already there with that. So we're trying to we're trying to capture some of that world wide ship right now. And you can't, uh, you can't alienate I learned that ship.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: You can't just alienate motherfuckers. Cause everybody was coming to the shows and I go out in the audience, Nigga, it was crips, it was bloods, it was Mexicans, it was it was.
Speaker 3: Everything had a blood. You had a blood. Mike T was a blood. He was from the neighborhood. Mike T was from.
Speaker 1: That's what I came for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike T was from Inglewood.
Speaker 1: But what fuck me up is we're gonna, I know, we're gonna get to this part of the ship, but when we do, we're gonna have to come back to to hear him say everything that he said and for that to be so much my understanding of how I was gonna make music. You will understand why that's so important to me. Later on that he said this, you know what I'm saying in a minute, but like, that's the same approach I had home. I wanted. I didn't want. This is what I just say. I want niggas to be able to bump my ship to the crip picnic exactly because you know, if you're saying certain ship, they're not gonna play your ship.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna do it.
Speaker 1: I don't say blood one time on my trigger ration station, my nigga, not one time on the whole album.
Speaker 3: On whole album to say blood.
Speaker 1: One time, and they, oh, that's the most gangs and ship, Yeah, nigga, I don't. It's a bunch of sh I didn't even really cuss that much on the album. M I wanted to be able to slap my ship, you know what I'm saying everywhere?
Speaker 3: And it worked for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And let me ask, cause you spent some time in Texas, right man. You was down in Prairie. You was playing football.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't play football at Prairie. I played football cause I went down there two different times. I went down there in high school, I was fucking up in San Diego and at the time I was playing quarterback for Lincoln. They got into some shit with it, you know, young It was legendary scrap between me and one of the young reptable San Diego niggas. Uh. Shout out to the hommie Popper Hommy from from from Skylin Homy to hommy, God life right now, but shout out to the hommy. You know, I always give shout out to the niggas. I ran into alone the way, cause they helped make me who I am today. You feel me. It was a big rumble. Mom's found out and that's when I kind of got ah. You know. It was kind of out there. Nigga was doing this shit outside and Mom sent my ass to text or something. I was in the tenth grade and she was like, nigga, y you you doing too much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was trying to save your life.
Speaker 1: She was like, you doing too much, my nigga. And I told the story before, but it's such a good one. I gotta tell her. That's what I do or tell stories on me for sure. So Mom's just like she in her mind, she like my nigga finished start this gang banging shit. If Finna get him out of here before nigga being already active since the fucking elementary. But she get me out of there right, Send me to my auntie house. Really, it's my mama's cousin. They grew up like sisters in love with Texas. I fly down there, I get off the plane and hop in the car where her She take me home. I'm trying to get away from this shit right in her neighborhood. My mom and then grew up with. It's a park up there. It's that. I think it's a it's by Dunball High School. Were coming home when we coming to the pat Nigga, it's about thirty crips up at the park. Having an initiation in the neighborhood in Texas in like ninety one, ninety two, the thirties was out there, and like the Denver Lanes in the thirties was out in Texas. Love of Texas in like ninety two, and them niggas was active. Them niggas was. They were so excited about that game. I was like, damn, Mom's just send me out here. I'm right in the middle of this and all the crip. Little niggas in my neighborhood was kind of watching me on how to you know, do the gangster shit, so they didn't trip off me cause it was just me and they was deep as a motherfucker. But yeah, Mom sent me to Texas. That was the first time. And then after I finished high school and all that shit, I'm down there the second time and I went to Prayerview. That's when I went to prayer.
Speaker 3: You you went to prayer Who made you want to go down to Praier View.
Speaker 1: Well, what it was for me is I always be hating explaining this part too, but I for y'all to understand my story is which y'all should want to do if y'all watching this shit, is I always tell this part of the story, but I don't want nobody to get it mixed up like I'm glorifying being a street nigga and not going to college. But I understand and I know that any nigga I ever know that went to an HBCU, he was different than how I am. So I tell niggas for y'all to understand the magnitude of me going to college. I'm not nigga I'm like, not like no nigga that you ever knew that went off to college at the time. Nigga, I'm straight number one shot the you know what I'm saying front number one guy in the turf before I went off to motherfucker. It was. It was. It was some shit, homie. It was the best experience I ever had in my life. But I really was not no nigga that was on his way to college. So I say that so y'all don't misunderstand who Mitchie Slicky is. Yeah, I'm intelligence nigga, I think, and I wish I would have stayed in school and did all that shit, But I'm not a nigga that y'all would have ever had imagined. And the shit I was doing, they ended up leaving off the going to college. But I did that shit on me and I learned a lot of shit, open up my eyes a lot of shit and let me know that. It let me know about being considerate an other shit in the world. Because the shit I thought was the shit it it it. It didn't mean shit down there, and when I got there, it was shit that we didn't give a fuck about here that meant everything out there like like like fraternities and sororities, the magnitude that they had on the South and all that shit. We don't do that out here. We won't even understand that if you damn it, couldn't get a bitch if you wasn't from some ship out there.
Speaker 5: You know, if you' if you ain't a camp. They real strong on ship down in the South. I mean not to say we don't got our values as far as being I think every you know nigga that come from all walks of life, especially from that time era, because it's kind of different now, you know what I'm saying, a lot of niggas who came from that time era, we had some sort of you know, respect and honor about the shit, even though motherfuckers looked at us as gang banging and whatever you had it. We just had a different way of of how shit is. Like you said, you go down there, they real heavy with the sororities and all of that. Well that's how we took being from the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: We have real.
Speaker 5: Respect back then and pride about it. And it's just kind of different now, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Careful, I'm surprised you men become a capita down there, And.
Speaker 1: I see, I didn't really fall in. I was the one Cali nigga with the Kakis in the chucks on, just at.
Speaker 3: School, kind of by myself.
Speaker 1: I didn't really fall into mingling with all the social ship, you know what I'm saying. But a few niggas that was down there, I deal with him. And you hung out with the homies. You got money down there with a couple niggas too. While I was down there and ship, that's what I actually went forward. I was fucking up at home and Mom's basically was like, look, you don't graduate from high school, you ain't going to school right now, you ain't working right now. I'm a full fledged eight. I'm outside, I'm yeah riding hl.
Speaker 5: They try to and the moms is gonna always pretend like they here and they see little shit, but they still gonna ride it down to the last tried to, I gotta steer you, but you already like full.
Speaker 3: Fledge one hundred percent outside.
Speaker 5: They kind of know it, but they don't want to, so they still try to them last efforts to get you out.
Speaker 4: Moms will always try to make sure her baby you gotta remember they don't walked around for a whole year.
Speaker 3: I used to come to the crib.
Speaker 5: Nigga homies used to drop me off low riders in the front, niggas jumping now five and six deep.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: And and we used to have beef with where where nigga lived at. So it was always some hesitation and some friction, and moms used to just, oh, no, he don't gang bang my son on gang bang now. I used to walk in the house with fucking coats and Ship the hood up with the hood all on the back of them, and sweatshirts and belt buckles with the hood on them, and every and she see pictures all in the nigga roomed and took the Yeah, they they protect you to the fullish man to the end of the line.
Speaker 1: And Ship told me, look, you you you ain't you, You ain't working, you ain't going to school. You gonna do? You gotta do one or the other. And at the time, one of my best homies had just recently got killed, and niggas was niggas went crazy and for six months was passed. After he died, all the homies was in jail and they was still own homie and I'm kind of really just out in Dago by myself, really without the homies and the other side, and I was like, what the fuck I'm gonna do. I ain't finna be sitting up in no job every day. And Dago the niggas fok around and applied to a couple of schools on me and Prayerview excepted me. My whole family had went to Prayerview before me, you know what I mean, my mom and my daddy, my grandparents, my uncles, all that shit went there.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Primo. As a matter of fact, Primo got a nephew, Primo and then from from Prayerview, and he got a nephew just that produced on my new album. Primo got it. He produced a lot.
Speaker 3: Of my Ship right now, man, Moms and pops and all of that. Man. Yes, indeed, so you fuck with Primo real.
Speaker 1: Heavy, Primo and Hommy. But but I know that he fucked with the Hommy real heavy. And I kind of figured his relationship with eight when he fucked with Slick, because I didn't did ship and hopped on Ship. I figured he feel like kind of like a Slick, kind of like a new Era eight far as in his fucking around because he don't fuck with a bunch of against the rap nigga, but he fucked with Slick. He fuck with you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I've been doing Primo since.
Speaker 4: Man, we need to get that m C eight Michie Slick collabor up in this motherfucker produced by DJ Premiere. We need that, man, Yeah, yeah, yeah. Primo is one of them cats. Man, I've been knowing since my my first start. So he's one of those dudes who I can I still talk to today, not even on rap shit. Man, I talked to Premiere about family ship and all of that, you know, so uh, shout out my people's Premiere Him and him in the Face is like, uh, two people that I've been knowing for a man, since I first started rapping.
Speaker 1: And shit, you know, I never met face something.
Speaker 5: I just talked to face. He called me about four days ago. He'll be out here at the end of this month.
Speaker 3: Your face still on that roads on the he's on that. Uh.
Speaker 5: He decided to go back on tour, you know, like his final round up, So he's doing dates right now. He's gonna be in Santa Anna at the Garden after.
Speaker 3: That uh huh.
Speaker 1: They salute the sly drexeler Man. That's the homie Primo's nephew DJ from me and nephew from out there. Okay, for sure he dope best producer nigga down there, like make some West Coast shit and that nigga from from Prayer of You.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So.
Speaker 4: You down in Prayerview, Texas, You you getting it in. You just staying low key. You're getting your little money here. You getting to it, but you kind of staying low key.
Speaker 1: I'm staying low key for show. Yeah, I'm just observing everything. It's the first time ever I really started going to class real and you know, going to the library, and it kind of fucked me up because I wasn't even all my woke type shit at the time. I'd be trying to be on it now about you know, the world and all my peoples and all that, but at the time, I was just a young, burned nigga fresh off the trap, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But all those experiences made when I'm going to class and I'm hearing these black teachers teach me history.
Speaker 1: But when they teaching me history, it ain't like I didn't heard it. All through high school. They teaching me history and they telling me what my peoples is doing during the same time that George Washington is doing whatever he doing or whatever, the same time they making the Emancipation Proclamation. What the white folks do, That's what they tell you in the books, But they don't really tell you what the black folks was doing because they was doing shit. All these great events is happening in American history, but we never learned what we was doing during them times. And when I went to Prayer View, they was teaching us that.
Speaker 5: They was teaching us how we were slaves and crazy politics and all that. Ship were just being taught about being slaves or they might give you one every now and then.
Speaker 4: That's all you heard were ways on how you're not superior and just pretty much to the gregs the whole time. That's what I felt like American history was when I was in high school and stuff, because I took it to pump myself to go learn certain things, and I was like you, once I went to college.
Speaker 3: I learned even further. I exponded on that.
Speaker 4: But for the most part, it's they're almost like it's almost like a form of buck breaking to be a little bit like like to remind you, you know what, your big strong daddy, we once had them tired, so you want to stay in line.
Speaker 5: It's almost like your kid and elementary and they want to they want to teach you about how well you was a slave and you got brought over here as a slave, and then you get to see and movies how you used to get whipped and and chase after and all kinds of shit and the.
Speaker 1: One niggas that did stand up for y'all got smoked. And so don't do that. Don't try to stand up. You're gonna give it to.
Speaker 3: Me like it's the biggest form of bug breaking.
Speaker 1: Dog.
Speaker 3: That's what it is.
Speaker 4: It's very it's very systematic, man, the way they do stuff and the way they oppress people. Right, because if you get told your whole life that all you've been as a slave and you wasn't shipped then and you ain't shipping out, what you think you gon grow up and do. I had a teacher tell me straight up in elementary school. White dude told me said, I don't even know why you try?
Speaker 3: Why are your.
Speaker 5: What's so fun at your big ass it was like that, why you even here? Man called outside to get a ball and ship and we go, we're gonna pass you right through school and ship.
Speaker 4: And it was just you know, you hear those things when you were a child, man, and it has it.
Speaker 3: Has an impact on you, definitely definitely impact you. So you down there, man? How long did that last?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I went down there for like a year, hummy. And while I was down there, my nigga got caught up trying to get to the bag. The first time I ever went to jail my nigga. I was in college money.
Speaker 3: I knew something was coming. I said, yeah, I said, what happened?
Speaker 1: I was down there trying to get to it, homie. It's a long story, but I don't feel like going into that shit could fucking okay, Look, we're gonna make it quick. I would say it fast. The motherfucker. It was one of them weakend's, hummy where I guess it was a game, probably our school against Southern and somebody like that. All the kids come in from all over Texas. Some little broad haf fucking running came and didn't go home, sixteen years old, came and didn't go home All right, So they all over the campus looking for her, mama calling down from wherever the fuck they're looking for. Okay, now, I don't know nothing about what it is at a not shit like that anyways. All I know is one day, nigga, they got the dogs coming through the doors. When they bring the dogs to the dorms, that's either if they finish comrade the room or they just do random checks. Niggas up in my room. I got the screens and shit in the room. You know, I've been getting to the bag up in school. I got niggas in there playing PlayStation or whatever and shit. And the motherfucking dorm director come to my room with the dogs, homy, and it was smelling like weed and shit up in their Hommy.
Speaker 3: Oh well, now you in Texas too.
Speaker 1: MoMA, nigga, I'm in a fucking black college. In my room smell like weed, and everybody run to the other side leave me in there. I'm like, all right, fucking But what had happened was the little broad was up in this other nigga room around the corner, and I guess she was fucking with the nigga across the hall from me, and these niggas knew what was going on, so when they went to his room, he hit her in the closet and he said, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what she at.
Speaker 1: I think she in room. Guess whose room you seeing?
Speaker 3: Yours my room.
Speaker 1: And they came to my motherfucking room, found the weed. The little girl get out and go wherever she go. Everybody good, hummy, and I go to jail for the first time I ever went to jail at motherfucking call it when I'm just starting to kind of change and try to get some weed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Texas don't play when they come when it comes to weed and ship. And what year was that. That's when we talked.
Speaker 1: About like ninety ninety five.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, ninety five for sure. They was looking next your ass like.
Speaker 3: Still when they coming to the motherfucker weeds ship looking.
Speaker 4: At your ass for some weed. They like, that's pop right there. Nigga was bringing all.
Speaker 3: The dope and had a nickel bag of stress and ship.
Speaker 5: Motherfucking Texas, they throw your ass under the motherfucker.
Speaker 1: That was it, nigga, No more college for you and on everything. I loved that nigga. That motherfucker summer. That was the wildest summer I ever had in the streets of my life. Right after I came home from college, Nigga came right back to the block and went hammerton straight up. Yeah, that was that. That's probably the one of the most fucked up things happening. Now, that's a life pattern.
Speaker 3: Yeah, summer No.
Speaker 1: After getting sent home from college.
Speaker 4: So you do your you do your time down there. Man, you come back home. When did the music bug hit? What did you say?
Speaker 3: Man, I'm kind of nice on this microphone.
Speaker 1: I always felt I was nice on the mic, But I never really took doing music series because I never really saw it as a reality that it can happen. See in San Diego, you never seen no nigga make it off rap, you feel what I'm saying. So rap wasn't That wasn't even something that we did like that, you know.
Speaker 3: So you in jail kind of like first generation.
Speaker 1: Before Yeah, it's a couple. Yeah before us, right before us was gonna be like the main name was gonna be like a hommy from from Brahms from Dago. Brahm's name Gangster.
Speaker 4: Iarn gangster were talking about gangster earlier. That's right. Yeah, I can't you know what, I can't even say I knew Gangster N was a rapper. I would want to know him from the street shit as being a legend theory niggas from down to San Diego.
Speaker 1: The true gangster Iarn probably mold on for the street ship than the rap shit. Well and Dago he wrong for the street shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I know little Earn is nice, Little Earn do his thing, But Gangster Earn, I just more knew him as just one of g you know, the niggas got the worms down there, and shit, I just knew him as one of them.
Speaker 3: Niggas.
Speaker 1: Gangs was official in the streets, and he kind of showed niggas that you could actually do this for real. He was the first nigga we saw that was just a regular street nigga, not no rapper, just a street nigga that took his money and put our records, you know what I'm saying. That's kind of what started everybody up on being like really into to our our our street independent music right there. And niggas didn't jump right on after that. It was a few years after niggas got on, you know what I mean. But yeah, yeah, it was niggas before me, before Jayo for sure.
Speaker 4: You know what, I shouldn't I think who was the first ones to take it like on the nationwide scale.
Speaker 1: Let me see Nation, it's dango, hummy. We ain't really had nobody take it on the nation.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what you had, Jo did this thing.
Speaker 1: Jail was the first nigga in the era that actually had records that was like on the radio and ship like that. Nick Cannon had records, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's you know what, I forget that Nick Cannons from San Diego.
Speaker 1: Cannon had records and ship like that. But but far it's just on some straight competitive ship where you hearing this ship and then you're hearing the hummies ship come on after that or something like that. Jail and I didn't. I didn't really get on till long after Jail, you know.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying, Yeah, you came.
Speaker 1: I wasn't even rapping when Jail put out that first you know stuff he had put out.
Speaker 3: Shit, damn Jail and that ship.
Speaker 1: What year? Man? I don't even know Jane.
Speaker 3: Well, you and a kind of like you and Jail kind of from the same classes. I came way before jail. Yeah, when the stick drops.
Speaker 5: That was like in the nineties, man, I start. I mean I was like the mid nineties, maybe the end something like that. I came out like, uh just most warn Conca's most one that came out in eighty nine.
Speaker 3: A yeah, man.
Speaker 4: And see it's these stories, man, It's that history. Man, all this shit, it's it's so much history of this ship. That's why having brothers like you on the show is important because for a lot of people. They it's a lot of people that may not.
Speaker 3: Even know gangster Earn Hills.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know gangs and Iron really didn't get gangs, and Earn passed away before he really got his full issue of getting out, you know what I'm saying like that, But but like real budget and all that shit's gonna be jail jail, you know, Jail, Ship had Ship, Jail had hit records with Nigga was rapping with fucking the biggest niggas in the game, and ship you feel with method Man and and and who is it? Who is who?
Speaker 3: Jam Master Jay I was.
Speaker 5: I was kind of shocked myself to see a nigga from San Diego, uh riding with you know, jam Master Jay's label and all that.
Speaker 3: I was like, how the fuck did that happen? You know, because.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you you know, as an artist, you you know, you uh, you quest the fuck with certain niggas, you know what I'm saying. And to be able to be on the coattails of history makers and his ship.
Speaker 1: Jao was all raps. Jail got where he was because Jail was rapping raps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was very impressed by the by the by the lyrical skills.
Speaker 4: And we not go we not go going because we got this mixey slick show today. But Jail, I'm gonna tell you this, he's a rapping ass nigga. I saw Jail Felony light twenty niggas up in Compton one day, like on some rap like I'm being for real. We the homie big A had a record store called Underworld Records and Compton and he used to bring the stage out there in the parking lot. So he had like big A was all always the nigga. He had the hot boys come through there. So he got Jail up there. It's about one hundred niggas outside, you know, a bunch of little rapping niggas, and so Jay up there doing this one two y up there doing this shit. You know, Jail is a real high strung nigga. Anyway, he looked at the audience like this to say, oh, y'all the niggas rap who all here think they can rap?
Speaker 3: Bring y'all up.
Speaker 4: I'm a fuck y'all up real quick. Niggas one by one, dog and niggas was getting shut down. Dog, I'm talking about it. It was some niggas out that they can rap, and he was just shutting these motherfuckers down like like Dominoes my nigga Bin bin Bin Bin bin. And it was just like this, And I say, that's a rapping ass nigga right there. Yeah, And it was all on some freestyle shit like them niggas could be. He wasn't even in its range. But we gonna come on back to you, all right. So you're doing your thing in San Diego, man, and you're starting to come up to La. Now you're starting to creep.
Speaker 1: Up there, you creeping, I'm creeping.
Speaker 3: What kind of reception was you're getting the first dog? You know what?
Speaker 1: I think niggas kind of knew that I was, that I was, that I was more than just some blood nigga from Dango. You feel me because I wasn't moving like that. I know how to respect niggas and I knew where I was at and a lot of times, you know what, I think got me a lot over being in La eight. I used to be by myself a lot. I used to come with a lot of niggas sometimes, but other times I'll be by myself. So what you do when you come by yourself is for one, you ain't no threat, and then for two niggas to let you in. Some places, they might not let you on your homeboys in they don't know them, they know you, and the motherfucker might be like, ah, slick out by yourself. Come they gonna bring you extra just to not leave you out. You feel me, and that's what I felt. If I learned work from me being in La and I build my my relationship with niggas just on regular niggas shit, not on rap shit.
Speaker 3: And you ain't out with feel the agony with crying down time together.
Speaker 1: In the first years, Man, I'm over. There were really over there in the mass fields and I'm walking. I walk around the mass fields and go to the stove to shop. I fuck with all them little niggas over there at the time. You know what I'm saying, I beat Dolo And even at times I even had the homies. I had the homies fucking with them niggas over there, Diego bloves fucking with homies over there. They all show love because when they would come to Daego, I would show them love exactly.
Speaker 4: Respect carry you a long way, bro, Respect definitely carry you a long way. So you're doing your thing, man, and you down here, and you was actually selling records. Like I said, you had hit, you just hitting the billboard charts and there, and that you stayed independent for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I ain't. Never was an independent, never one independent.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what when y'all did the deal that we were gonna get to that in the minute.
Speaker 1: Right right, I'll show you how that go go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually, so you doing your thing, you're selling records. Not one of these labels ever came you.
Speaker 1: Was like, hey, man, I had met I had meetings with a few motherfuckers bruh. But what I never had is I didn't have the business. I didn't have nobody that understood the urbage and how how how the unification of an artist and the label. It ain't never the artist talking to the goddamn label himself. I never had no man in the middle that you know, they they don't know me. I'm some little burnia that's gonna go buy guns with his avesta And it was nobody in the middle. There was no one enemy.
Speaker 3: I never had time in the middle.
Speaker 5: Motherfucker gonna try to fuck you anyway, then do something because.
Speaker 1: They're working with the label, and that's the reason why they gonna give up the deal anyway. They ain't gonna just give this little nigga the bread. And I was kind of like, like I used to look at the ship that would come up when a nigga would google me, like it used to be the wrong ship, you know what I'm saying, Like like I thought, like, you know, the fifty cent era he gets shot ten times and now he owned and you know what I'm saying, I'm thinking, the realer you is the more. But shit, nigga too real, that nigga that they don't want to fuck with that especially not me directly. If it had been somebody a middleman to represent for me, if I would when I went to go do songs, with with with Ah, you know, Short Game, Wayne Little, whoever I did songs with. There was no point man talking to his manager. You know what I'm saying. It was just me because niggas just fucked with me off of being a cool nigga that they know that's a real nigga from the streets. And that's the business never was there, you know what I'm saying. I never I never had.
Speaker 3: That on me. So yeah, you know what it seemed like, sit.
Speaker 1: Warner Brothers hollered. You know what I'm saying, A couple of labels hollered at the time, but it never was no really like how these niggas be getting these deals and money now and all that shit.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Everybody be getting a little bad.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things. I've always thought that Major labels because that's kind of how I got job. Major labels love clause about deniability. If they can have somebody in the middle for them, they'll let them run the ball, play and do whatever. So the minute that nigga go out there and shoot somebody or choke somebody out a pistol, whip somebody disassociated, oh that's not us. He signed the Sex and Sex and they can just let him go. But they don't never want to deal with one of y'all.
Speaker 5: Because that's the reason why we had stickers on our albums. Record labels didn't want to take They didn't want to take accountability, but they want to make money. But they ain't want to take accountability. If you talk about nigga, fuck this nigga, or I'm gonna come through doing this or this. So whatever he's saying, that's his own motherfucking thoughts. We ain't got nothing. We're gonna exploit this motherfucking put it out and make some money, but we ain't gonna take responsibility for it.
Speaker 4: They didn't want to take responsibility for you. So you thriving out here, though you're doing your thing right to a certain you know, a certain.
Speaker 1: Degree in this hard I ain't never really we didn't. We didn't. We didn't get to where it was just, you know, it been a grind pretty much, the whole ride being a grind for me. So I keep it.
Speaker 4: Fuck you already fucking with him, y'all just made it official when y'all started strong arm steady right, because you was already fucking with all of them cats already. When did y'all decide we gonna get together and make this group?
Speaker 1: I guess it was like two thousand and two, three four right five era. That was the mixtape era. Remember when everybody was doing their mixtape nigga go to the swap meaning Bill the mixtapes of shit, you got dipset going crazy with the Mixhafe and Gun the mixtapes, and we basically started a mixtape group called Strong Arm Steady, And it was basically all the niggas that was in that little crew over there. This was just a brand. It was a brand basically, and everybody pretty much that was on the mixtapes either had deals with sign was here there, but me Crying and Field wasn't signed. So when Exhibit went on tour, he would take Crying done, and then he started taking Crying and Field, and then he started taking me me. My position over there was like I came in a game with Sir Jinks via the Big Hommy Reef from Daga Daego via Dj Jam Okay, the Hommy rees got out the pin. He told Dj Jim, what's up, Jam, I'm trying to get in the game. I got a few artists. Jam was probably touring with Snoop or dre or Dog whoever. At the time he said, Homney, I'm gonna turn you on the Jinks shit around, like maybe like ninety nine or something. We start no, no, no, no, probably like ninety nine we started fucking with Jinks up and coming up to La fucking with Jinks. And from that he was working on Exhibits first album, Mmm, I'm none of that second album, Forty Days and Forty Nights, That's when I started coming around.
Speaker 3: So I was just did do a lot of joints on that album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just in the movement where was going on via Reese, and Reese was with Exhibit right hand nigga, so by default, you know, shit, I kind of just felt fell in family. It wasn't like no chosen because the nigga just love how I'm rapping or some shit like that. It was just part of the crew, you know what I'm saying, Because I wasn't rapping like nobody that was in that circle home me. I'm rapping like this nigga here, you feel me.
Speaker 3: That's how But you know that's what made it so dope. Dog twist on it you know, definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So and at that time, man, when y'all start a strong arm steady exhibit that came off some big ass records, like he had a cracking at that time, did you ever think that, Okay, I'm about to get up in this building now?
Speaker 3: Yah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, every fucking day I woke up every day. That's what it was all about. But I just think it's other things beyond talent, you know what I'm saying, Like if i'd have had an if i'd have had anybody that was a rep for me, it was just an average level level representative. You know what I'm saying, Because I'm I don't know one of these niggas that just wrapped paid for their own shit and then just walked up the Ennerscope and Interscope gave me five hundred that I don't know who did. I don't know who.
Speaker 3: I don't know. You had to, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You had to have some kind of uh yeah, some kind of repers black. I never had a manager slab, but I had an attorney who when it came down the negotiating.
Speaker 3: Deals or whatever, like.
Speaker 5: I got signed to Epic because I went through uh techno hop. You get me as a as a small independent label, I went through techno Hop and then fortunately when the ship got the cracking tech no Hop was able to walk over there and go, hey see, I got eight, I got Count's most wanted, I had Iced Tea, I had King Tea. So right then and there they was like, oh, well shit, this gangster shit is getting cracking. So I went through via techno hop via he got somebody and bingo.
Speaker 3: They got a deal.
Speaker 5: But it was all a motherfucker's circle and I never you get me. But I was just a motherfucker who at the time, I just wanted to rap.
Speaker 3: You get me.
Speaker 5: I didn't know the technicalities and all that bullshit and publishing and managers and contracts and all that other shit. I was just a nigga who wanted to grid a mic and spit. I'm gonna rap about the neighborhood, about what we go through as hood niggas, and so all those niggas take a piece of the pie and shit. And that's what's so fucked up at the end of the day, because you the artists who writeing and putting your heart and soul into your music.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day you getting fucked.
Speaker 5: So I get it, you know, the representation, because then there would have been somebody that's been able to go like, you know, I'm gonna go over here and talk to Atlantic or I'm gonna go talk to motherfuckering exactly, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, So the cold part about it not to.
Speaker 5: Cut you off, bro, I had to go all the way to New York get I didn't get my dalva here. We had to jump on the plane and go to New York.
Speaker 4: But what a lot of niggas don't know is that it's probably qualified management like a motherfucker out here. But they look at certain niggas and I'm like, well, they doing it already. I don't think they need my help.
Speaker 1: That was another part too, you feel what I'm saying. That's another part too. I wasn't thinking. Mon I used to be talking as indepennis shit. Niggas would interview me, and all I would talk about is, yeah, I got my own label and I'm doing it. I'm just doing that because that's what I'm seeing, you know, master p and cash money. That's what they're saying. I'm not really understanding, Like nigga, you telling every you telling every nigga that would want to give you a de nigga that you're straight. And I'm pretty sure that had a lot to do with it, because the nigga was riding around here looking like I was straight too, though, cause niggas was outside getting to the back and do it all the ship. So I'm basically anybody that wanted he ain't gonna sign.
Speaker 3: He even for eight.
Speaker 4: It's probably a big ass management company and in the building. I would love to have him ate, but like thinking, well, I'm sure he already has management, and this.
Speaker 3: I didn't have no management. I was like, fuck.
Speaker 5: I used to tell niggas, man, what you what you need to call the manager for? Straight up the negoti ate what nigga hell for your booet.
Speaker 3: Here I am?
Speaker 5: And then I got to give up fifteen percent or some ship.
Speaker 3: Like that for a nigga to go. Yeah, he'll be there.
Speaker 5: I can tell a nigga my damnself, Yeah, nigga, I'll be there. Or what picked me up at the flights like, okay, cargo please kill man, please, nigga car? What kind of car they driving?
Speaker 3: Okay? What hotel I'm staying at? Okay?
Speaker 5: Oh, nigga, we set send the motherfucking deposit, nigga.
Speaker 1: And we cracking.
Speaker 5: But sometimes I call it sometimes y'all. Sometimes you need a buffer, though, because sometimes I don't feel like sitting on the phone with some niggas who want to be like, yeah, you know, and you know, uh, we're gonna do the radio ship whoopy whoop, and then you know, I want him to go over here and do this and that, and then after he go to the hotel, we want to Sometimes I don't want to go through all that. So it's it's sometimes it's beneficial to have a manager and ship to negotiate ship. But yeah, you know, but they gotta eat what they kill. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, what they killed. So you're doing your thing?
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Did you ever get frustrated? Frustrated? Right, damn man?
Speaker 1: Frustrated the whole months.
Speaker 3: Say this shit, This shit still goes on.
Speaker 1: I ain't really got to do. I ain't really got to do what I know I can do, though, and I understand what it is and why. You know, it was a time I came in. Come on, bro, my first one. You figure when Tree came out eight you probably know very well because you was in the race already. Look at all the shit that was not going on at that time when I came. Just think two thousand and one, two thousand and two, two thousand and three, after Pop died, hummie, shit, who came after that?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you who came it shit Nigga went Pop a little bit exhibit and then it was game Kendrick. Just think of all them years and then when the Kendrick come to what like twenty twelve, So you figure it's like three niggas for like ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah Snoop Dogg too.
Speaker 1: No, No, they already cracking. I'm talking about when I came out, Like who made it? That's me and Glasses class.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know what who during that time because Glasses had a tremendous buzz man and it was almost like it was almost at a time out here, if you didn't come off that doctor Dre family family, it was impossible we should.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean a lot of us uh uh uh struggled from that from that aspect.
Speaker 1: After Park, it was like everybody else didn't want to on the West Coast, Nigga tripping Biggie happened.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of a lot.
Speaker 5: Of labels, uh disassociated themselves with my class West Coast music during that time. I caught the beginning of it because at the end of my major label run, they were skept to go a fucking with our music. It was either you switched up the style or basically you got shelved or whatever. Yeah, with the Park situation and with Death Row, and then you know a lot of the a lot of the parent companies decide and like, we don't want to touch that ship. It was hard to get you know. It was a long Yeah, it was a long time.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: You gotta look at that period between, like he said, between Park dying and Biggie dying West Coast music kind of like because it was our format, you get me. Our reputation was that type of music. Think about it even still to this day. Man, you get the young boy man, what's it pop smoke come out here and get murdered. Look doing his thing, dog and get murdered. Right then you had a P and B rock cat out here, he had a restaurant.
Speaker 3: He get killed.
Speaker 5: Man, Now that ain't to me. That ain't got shit to do with hip hop. I just got to do with niggas is greedy and niggas is hungry niche.
Speaker 3: Niggas been like that forever.
Speaker 5: And you don't hear Biden you you hear about the ship now because of the celebrity status of whatever in the internet. Get me, But man, niggas been Niggas been dying and getting killed and all that type of shit. As far as getting jacked and getting set up and all that type of shit. Uh, that's been going on since I started walking the streets.
Speaker 3: You get me.
Speaker 5: Nowadays, it's it's it's more easy, though, to set yourself up for some bullshit. You just like I said, you go to certain places. You got to know your surroundings and what you know. I never went to nobody's town trying to floss and be you extra with it.
Speaker 1: I'm not from here. I'm not from here.
Speaker 4: You give me respect everybody. You gotta respect everybody. Have you ever had somebody come down to Diego and just thought it was sweet.
Speaker 1: A lot of niggas came in San Diego and thought it was sweet.
Speaker 3: But you know, and when it was treacherous, I knew it.
Speaker 5: I used to tell motherfucking the lake, oh no, we can't go there. San Diego was a place. I used to be like, oh, no, we're not going down there. Them niggas down there's treacherous, like a motherfucker.
Speaker 1: We didn't know rat so all the same, and I say we I'm gonna say the niggas right generation.
Speaker 5: We came down there once to do something. Man, I'm talking about nigga. I was like, Oh no, we can't go down there. I had to tell I had to tell that, you know, motherfuckers who didn't know about shit, because people thought like San Diego was tourist town. You know, you hear about the waterfront and all that shit. Nigga please. I used to go down there with my cub and no. So when I started rapping, and especially when we got to the the real like conference, most wanted music to drive by type of shit, and the labels used to be like, Yeah, we're gonna go down there doing any store and boom, we won't. I used to be like, Nah, we're not going down there. Were going down there. You're not taking me down there with motherfucker.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about a lot of shit.
Speaker 5: You're not taking me down there myself, And got taking me down there with those two white reps of the bad and ship and what motherfucking security goods?
Speaker 3: Man, we're gonna get rapped up out of that motherfuck.
Speaker 1: Let me just say it like this on me. Every artist then had an issue, all our favorite rappers and had issues at Diego. And what I'll say it is not no digo l a thing. It's that for so long San Diego didn't know nothing about the rap shit, so when they see niggas as gang members, they would just look at it like that's just.
Speaker 3: A game manber that ain't no rapping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gang banging.
Speaker 3: You got that ship at home.
Speaker 5: Though, when I saw when I started rapping, uh yeah, nigga, I had little videos and songs out and ship, but still Nigga was affiliated when I started rapping. So it was like, I can't go over there and sign no motherfucking autographs.
Speaker 1: To the to these cribs and bloods. He's a crip.
Speaker 3: That's it that nigga.
Speaker 5: I don't give a fuck about no rap, ship and no microphones. You don't get that bullshit up out of here. You can walk it up in here trying to sign some autographs.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, don't. You can't set it up like that. You can't say out. I don't say it like that. All I'm saying is they they they gang. Let's say it like this. Many LA artists have gang banged against San Diego artists against gang Bang. Now they say you said run out big everybody from Easy to Dog Paund to you know, Mad Circle, all the homies because it was all active, real niggas. You know what I'm saying. You know who niggas never they always for some reason, niggas always like Dub and Dago, Yeah, du Dub. Niggas always like Dub and Dago.
Speaker 3: I hear a lot of people say they like Dub Dog. I don't heard a lot of blood blood can't say they like Dub. Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't start performing in Daego until way like to once, Like you know, niggas was cool and you know you will see me and quick together.
Speaker 1: We didn't even got into it with homies and Dango like on the on the Up and Smoke tour.
Speaker 3: It was good, big.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A lot of this shit happened, you know before my generation of being outside, you know what I'm saying, Like like you know, when I was you know, a lot of them early years. You know what I mean. Now it ain't the gang banging ship is a little different because everybody got a rapper now, you know what I'm saying. So niggas ain't so like you know, you might have a rap group come to town three times a year. There was some real actual gang members. Now you're gonna see a nigga from every neighborhood come through Dago every weekend at one of these clubs. So it ain't so like you know I mean, but you know, everybody come through it.
Speaker 3: It was just different back in the days. Man.
Speaker 1: But it's the same everywhere. It ain't just Daggo niggas ship. Niggas to go anywhere. Niggas to go anywhere and need to be on San Diego shit in the motherfucker that nigga was getting banged on everywhere he went on that song.
Speaker 3: We don't see it here and everywhere.
Speaker 1: Nigga. I remember the nigga. One of the first time tours I went on niggas, some White cribs was banged on me hard. My whole set niggas in Little Rock, Arkansas. The first was Little White Cris Yeah, no, no, no, no, on my hall Nebraska and they will do something to Yeah, man, you can get it anywhere. It ain't it ain't.
Speaker 3: That's what I said. That's that was.
Speaker 5: That was one of the reasons why I never tried to uh bang when it came to making music. You know, niggas, niggas get it by you know, maybe you will see something on the album cover or whatever whatever, But we tried to not push it on a motherfucker when it came to C M DUB Records. I'm just gonna rap about how the hood took us under, or niggas is struggling, or you know, niggas drove by Miss Daisy or something. I'm not gonna tell you. It was the crips of the Bloods who did it.
Speaker 1: You looked at the DNA of mom rap ship everything he's saying, it's just like music's drop by drop by miss That's all that inspired me to do. You ain't getting to the question this nigga right here, This is the nigga right here that made me want to do this ship. I said it a hundred times every interview. He already heard all this ship.
Speaker 3: So you was influenced. But it's a whole bunch of peop get mad.
Speaker 4: See this nigga get mad at me when I be telling him what he means is certain people, right, he get mad and me, Man, I'll be telling niggas that shit. I'm a regular nigga. I say, no, you not my nigga.
Speaker 5: Now, I've just been because he's a regular nigga.
Speaker 1: That's what it was. Let me tell you what it was about eight. What it was about a you know who was before eight. So I ain't gonna say no names and the artists and the rappers that everybody was, but the difference between him and them. Not to be ignorant or on no bullshit, but this nigga was telling the stories of what I was doing and wanting to do. I knew that he was a real member. Everybody else was gangster rappers. I knew from his raps. This ain't glorifying you, No, this is just I'm hearing the stories that I want to just talking about what I'm doing. That's what he was saying. He might not be me what he mean to me to this rapper or that rapper or whatever, but for what I was doing, this is the nigga that was talking. Nigga jumping the gate, dope sacking my nuts. Police on the trail, dogs barking, we getting away. This is the ship. You know what I'm saying. This Nigga was talking about. And I knew that by the way he was telling them. You know what I'm saying. He's telling you how much dope is in his pocket, telling dope. Noticed that I got an eight ball and you feel me. I knew that Nigga really did the ship, and that's why I like this. Nigga and I did a lot of.
Speaker 5: I did a lot of little bullshit when I was a fucking kid. I did, like I said, I did a lot of bullshit. That if you grew up in a neighborhood where they was gang banging and you affiliated or you got put on or jumped in or whatever it was, Uh, that was life to us. We didn't see nothing else. I didn't see shit else. When I woke up every morning, it was like, Nigga, come pick me up. Were going to the hood, and all day it was just walking around the neighborhood seeing the experiences. We got jacked by the police. Niggas came through black and we was in the alley selling dope. Nigga We was hopping fences and hiding and carrying straps.
Speaker 3: Uh, nigga.
Speaker 5: We was rolling up at the gas station, at the Hamburger stand whatever it was. You know, a couple of homies who lived in other neighborhoods, nigga. We go over there and got to get into it with them, niggas because the homies live over there and they not.
Speaker 3: It was just life to me. And it wasn't like I.
Speaker 5: Was glorifying it, but I was like shit, while niggas is talking about being the freshest and the hardest MC and niggas was rapping about I'm missing, I'm not. I'm like nigga, I'm finn to talk about nigga. What happened in the hood last night?
Speaker 3: Hey, let me ask both of y'all. This's this question for both of y'all.
Speaker 4: Do y'all think man that sometimes game banging might have fucked up the music industry in La. Not saying fuck it up, because it's been a lot of niggas that have got on right. La got a very thriving music.
Speaker 5: I would say is the downfall from gang banging and music is that it doesn't sometimes it keeps us restricted from each other as far as being able to show how much respect or how much we really like fucking with a nigga or his music or whatever I said. To this day, niggas ties and their affiliations is what keep us held down.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, I know that nigga.
Speaker 5: Oh you know, y'all you bump my nigga, MITCHI, Yeah, I bumped that nigga all right, you know, And that ain't because a nigga music ain't good. It's because of past affiliations and what niggas feel that they must hold true.
Speaker 3: You get me. Mc A got a show in La Yeah, you know, can I get in free? Or a nigga? How many? You get me?
Speaker 5: That's how I could go to motherfucking Omaha, Nebraska and sell out every motherfucking ticket Here at home, I'm gonna have thirty niggas wanting to get in free.
Speaker 1: You get me.
Speaker 5: I could have a bomb song and niggas in motherfucking Wisconsin gonna be like, oh, nigga, that's the hardest shit. Or I just came from off tour overseas, you, nigga. I could put out a record three months ago and it's five hundred motherfuckers in there singing that motherfucker word for word over here. It's like he put out a record win you get me. It's just and like I said, I put that to because of the walks of life would come from and niggas just won't live that down as far as just having you know, that utmost respect for a niggas craft, you get me. Niggas let the affiliations in the past gang situations to hinder wanting to just respect the nigga. That's what makes me just say, fuck it. I'm gonna call up a nigga and be like, nigga, you down on my shit, you get me? Because a lot of niggas don't respect us for a.
Speaker 3: Lot of shit we've done.
Speaker 5: And like I said, and that's just because the neighborhood affiliations or pass whatever past beefs or he from here or I grew up with that niggo or I know that nigga or whatever whatever you know, you just can't get the same love sometime here.
Speaker 1: The way I feel about it is that's a deeper version of it, but a more simple version of it is now it's a little bit different, but times like recent pass up until you know the recent past. You figure if you're a blood rapper and you come out, you automatically half your fan base is just gonna go like this if you're thinking about it from a perspective, if you from the Bay, if you're from the Bay, the project right next to you might not like you because y'all funking, But a nigga an hour away don't have no reason and not fuck with you. When you a blood, a nigga across the country, you have a reason not to bump your music. So it's hard for the music to move the way it might move in the South because it might get to this hood, but then it might stop because the next it over its crippled. So it ain't gonna just move steady. You feel me? If you go and buy like an independent type of push like that, you know you a blood, You ain't You ain't really getting no like nineties two thousands. You ain't get who gonna where your shit gonna be bumping at in Long Beach.
Speaker 3: Oh man, ain't nowhere. It ain't nobody alone.
Speaker 1: Where they're gonna. So you so now, just because you a blood, there's a whole city full of niggas that ain't really gonna fuck with your music. You feel me. That's the ship I look at when I think about now. It ain't like no Long Beach niggas don't fuck with my music. I fuck a Long Beach nigga. I'm just saying, you know, I feel you know what I'm saying. Yeah, hell yeah, game banger for fuck with the music that just go for Southern Cali period.
Speaker 4: I would say, man for more than anything else. I've been in California since nineteen eighty eight. I'm a riginally from Cleveland, Ohio, but I've been in California longer than most of my life now.
Speaker 3: I never banged.
Speaker 4: Because of that specific thing because I had too many friends I met. You know, when you play football with people, they become like your brothers. So if me messing with the homies from Long Beach insane men, I can't hang out with the homies from that might be happen to be for twenties them. I was like, man, I'm not getting involved in none of that shit because it just fuck up everything to me, you know what I mean? Like it's silly almost because I'll see cats find out they was cousins, but don't fuck with each other.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you had a lot of.
Speaker 1: That, you know what I mean, no choice. I wasn't in no situation where I got to pick none of that type of shit, whether I want to bang or nothing like that. So it's a little different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for y'all, it's a little different. See when you come out somewhere, you're seventeen right firstus you being born somewhere.
Speaker 3: It's kind of different.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: It's kind of different if a motherfucker showed up off the Greyhound from Texas somewhere at seventeen, you know, active homies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the definitely.
Speaker 5: But the choices are, you know, a little different than you growing up in the hood, and you're being expected at a certain age too. You're gonna be coming to walk through here every day and not nigga, it's time to start being affiliated.
Speaker 3: So where you from? You either from over here or you from somewhere else. Yeah, but you know you want to hear some crazy shit though. Right.
Speaker 4: One thing about living a long beach you told me this is that it's always a blood nigga there, right, it was a nigga on the team. He was a blood went to Jordan High School, went to Long Beach City College and Jordan High School is a crip school. It's a North Long Beach, right, so they should like to take me out every weekend. You know, I'm out of town nigga, right, So.
Speaker 3: He took me. He said, we're gonna go to my neighborhood. And I never knew. He went down to Wilmington the waterfront. Pirute. I get out the car and they hitting him up, like what's up? Man?
Speaker 4: They look at me like this because they was like, this is the home he played with me, So they figured I'm a Long Beach nigga. It's all these big as Polynesians like where you from?
Speaker 3: Where you from? Blamon? You're from blood and they thought they I said, Ohio.
Speaker 4: That was our first time about that. Then niggas start laughing. They said, hell, are you trying to be funny or something?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because that's how nigga cop p out here. Diggm from Texas and he said.
Speaker 4: You're trying to play with me or something, and the homies said, man, he's food really from Ohio.
Speaker 3: They started laughing.
Speaker 4: They said, man, I thought you Long Beach, So I don't you know, I don't know what's going on, but it made me realize, I said, man, I fuck with too many people, man, because it was blood niggas on the team. It was niggas from this side. And then once you figure out the dynamic that it's more motherfucking crips than whack crips that don't like crip games, it throw you for a loop even further. I'm like, man, how do you what kind of gigs?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What kind of and it confused you with you out of town and ye, so so let me get this straight. Bloods kill bloods too, and crips still kill crips.
Speaker 1: Niggas kill niggas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what it is. Yeah, niggas kill niggas. Ship. They ain't got ship to do with blood and the cripping niggas just niggas kill niggas.
Speaker 1: Man, niggas always When when I you know, you get somebody that ain't from inside talking about they killing over colors, man, I ain't. It ain't never been about no colors. It ain't ain't. No, it be about some other ship, but that'd be the last thing and be about it be about some bitches or something before it be about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I tried to Yeah that's why I try to explain to a lot of people, uh, you know who listen to my music, who get confused because that's the simplicity that they want to push. Ah, you niggas is dying over a red rag or a blue rag. And I try to tell niggas it's more deeper than that. It's it's more deeper because of the foundation of what it really is. And it's not about colors and shit. I mean, everybody motherfucking associates themselves with something. Football teams associate themselves with colors and sun and you know, all kinds of shit. So but it's never that you know what I'm saying, I tell you one thing broke.
Speaker 3: Poverty of motherfucker. Yeah that's yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: Poverty when you brought up with nothing. And that's and see, poverty is so universal. If you notice anywhere where they have poverty, they have what a high crime rate, they have a high murder rate because people don't have no hope. Think about you, think about it. You actually a talent man that even though it may not be the career that you necessarily wanted, it took you a lot of places, right, You've been able to make a living for yourself and your family. Right, think about the nigga that don't have no options. That's your stuck in the hood, right. He can't do nothing. He can't wrap, he can't play no football, no basketball.
Speaker 5: All he know is that that's a lot of the homies that's lost, a lot of the homies that we got buried, or a lot of the homies that we got doing life in the pin right now because he got no choices.
Speaker 4: They don't have no fucking choice, you get it. I don't have no choice in the dope game. See, we had this disillusion back in the eighties and nineties, man, that the dope game was like the to save you for the neighborhood. I don't know nobody that made it out dog. Everybody y'all know there was a big baller like they had the big cribs dog and all the cars and stuff. Most of them dudes that's either steal in prison, dead, smoked out.
Speaker 3: Did they just it wasn't no.
Speaker 1: One could be one. It ain't somewhere.
Speaker 4: You got the number one. It is one somewhere, some successful. We got to have one success story. You got the one that got away. And I'm talking about dudes that deal with high level. I'm talking about extremely high level.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You got the cat that made got out of it, man, but he's still mentally scarred from it. Right, he lost more, way more.
Speaker 3: Than what he gained from it. You feel what I mean?
Speaker 4: That was the biggest lie ever in society, man, because I had because it had people think he made it, man, But we tore up a whole community. Now I'm gonna have to say weeks, I was actively involved when.
Speaker 5: We got a lot we we got we got success stories myself. Nichie you oh yeah, But that's what I'm saying. There's a lot of there's a lot of us who came from uh walking from the wrong side of the tracks. And like I tell motherfuckers today, I wouldn't change it for nothing because it makes you who you are, and it makes you understand shit. You know, Without gang banging and without growing up in the hood, of going through poverty and all of that, it wouldn't have made me who I am. With my kid, you feel me uh to be able to get you know, especially with a young man being able to turn him away from and let him see that there's bright shiit other it's it's a it's a brighter light at the tunnel other than what we had to go through. You know, we didn't have too many choices, you feel me. Uh, growing up in the eighties, in the early nineties, I didn't have too many choices.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: My parents tried to give a nigga a positive light. But back then, you ain't got a lot of ship that wasn't available to us. So you just had to make a way. And for us to be sitting here today and not six feet under or you know, locked down in the pen looking at another fifth.
Speaker 3: You get me. So we we are.
Speaker 5: We are the success stories of the regular You get me. We might not be sitting up with you know, one hundred million dollars and you know, private yachts and shit, but this is the success of a regular or a regular nigga from the neighborhood who a lot of motherfuckers probably thought wouldn't make it out of the situation.
Speaker 3: You get me.
Speaker 1: A lot of the homies died before we wasn't even teenagers, no mom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and a lot of homies didn't you know, grab microphones or do beats or none of that shit.
Speaker 3: So we try to be the success story for those niggas you feel me, Nia, it's a whole bunch of people that didn't make it.
Speaker 5: Man, So.
Speaker 3: Right about nah, Man, the music scene is real weird, man.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Obviously been you know, surveying the landscape right and I'm seeing these little cats, Man, good deals for having TikTok videos, for popping TikTok videos, have people doing their challenges and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Man, where does a.
Speaker 4: Person that comes from that era, Man, where you really had to wrap and really where this stuff meant the whole lot and really where we had more bodies of work like today is a real single driven era right to where it's like a cat like you MC eight scarface, y'all ain't never been them single type of dudes. You gotta listen to the whole body of work to get the story. You know, you feel what I'm saying, maximum effect? Where do you fit in that in this landscape right now?
Speaker 1: From what I'm noticing, And I could be wrong, and the intel that I'm grabbing, the game is kind of changing right now, and you're starting to see cats that actually do make music from that angle starting to either step step back into the game or or like a lot of the g's. If you notice, man, a lot of the g's been coming back out and putting our records, man, and even getting deal was like a lot of niggas, like a lot of the main niggas. I mean, I know everybody noticed, but like we can't overlook the fact that, you know, Big Mike did just win uh Grammy for Best Hip Hop Album or whatever that was. And I first might know the homie killing Mike my nigga shout out to the Homi Stack of grif Stack and Griffin from from my neighborhood out in Atlanta kind of helped me. Killing Mike make our little relationship. We got a salute to the to the hommy, and that ain't nothing that we can't notice. I think the game is kind of changing right now, no disrespect to the young artists have been making music, but some of the fans that was just following along listening to a lot of the different music because it wasn't they're starting to be able to step back and find a lot of their favorite artists right now making music, you know what I mean, even put me on record, you know, a couple of his records recently. I mean, and I know, I know it's niggas that appreciate that. The nigga like eight putting out records again, you feel me?
Speaker 3: Straight up, I don't think I think that's the thing.
Speaker 4: I think it's important that cats continue to for our records because you gotta think about it.
Speaker 3: Like now, right now, we in the era of the fifty year old b boy. Straight up.
Speaker 4: You know the way you see cats are fifty years old. Ain't like our parents fifty years old. You remember, while we's little kids, you see a nigga's fifty he got.
Speaker 3: On the collar shirt. Now you know you see fifty niggas. Your old niggas dress fresh. You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: They are product of the hip hop environment. They grew up on hip hop, you know what I'm saying. So what they gonna listen to? I know me, I'm I'm like checking for no, it's a red bag. I heard the other day, man, where they took the door to explore a song and made the hook out of it, talk about bagpack, bag pack. Yeah, but I can't listen that as a grown ass man.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: I just think that this era, you know, it comes quick and is here today going tomorrow type of era where everybody rapping, but nobody's really making. So that's I think that's the difference between our era and what it is today. Today is catchy as hooky, it's gimmicky, and then a week from now, it's like, what's next. I'm gonna tell you what it is, bro, And I could put out a song and motherfucker banging that shit for the next three years. You did me as opposed to you could put out a song today and a motherfucker bang it over the next week, and then now it's like, Okay, what's the next.
Speaker 4: So yeah, this ain't you know, and this ain't no not against nobody, man, But I like some of them records, you know what I mean. Like I thought the Homie Otch Genesis was jamming, But it's the that's the problem right there, so to speak, you feel what I mean. Ot Genesis make great songs, but they just great for that moment right there. It ain't no body of work attext to it. You feel what I mean, And it could be maybe he got that, maybe he don't. But this area has gotten so aware to where is it's almost it's crazy. Now you see cats trying they'll do anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think motherfuckers want to make songs today. I think they just want to make what's catchy, what's gimmicky, and what's you know what can give me a million billion downloads right now and a month from now. If don't nobody ever want to hear that shit again? Oh well, but you know, one positive motherfucker's.
Speaker 1: Making some bread, you know what it is. I think the little artist now, I ain't knocking their music, never knocking them, but I think a lot of times now a lot of the streams and a lot of the shit that they getting is coming from shit other than their music. So therefore the music don't last because the song wasn't even hot because of the music. The song was kind of hot because of something else that this artist did in his life, you know, because they do a lot of other things that get popular. Now you feel me, it ain't got no nothing to do with it.
Speaker 3: The song is almost like just the afterthought.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is a pro hes fucking with or you know what is this murdered trial saying?
Speaker 3: And yeah, what controversy, conflict or conspiracy?
Speaker 1: And so that's the reason why his song will be popping. That's the reason why you see all these people pop with music after they've done something else, has some other career that made them popular, whether it be a reality show or or or or was in fucked with this broad or in this movie or whatever it is. You know what I'm saying. Then he gets his career with rap because he already got he already popular.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the way I look at it, with this man, this rap is almost like a calling card anyway to do some other shit. We lived in the era right now, that's so dope, right, think about this. We can go shoot a movie next week and put it out straight up. You feel what I'm saying. So it's so much stuff that we can do. Like I look at these young cats nigga hustle and I ain't gonna lie say what man, shit, we need to be diversifying our hustles too.
Speaker 3: Shit, damn it. You know I was talking to you earlier this week.
Speaker 4: I was like, man, we gotta get getting cameras cracking dog, get you behind that camera.
Speaker 1: We shot some movie. We did a few movies. I mean mm hmm, and we did a few movies. You gotta check them. Did you check that out?
Speaker 3: Baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure. But that's what I'm saying, man, you.
Speaker 1: And the west Bred Diamond mean Hemmy put together called movie you gotta check it out home and we did a movie. It's on It's on Amazon Prime right now. I started sling. Johnson was in the movie. Uh me comped the minis. It was a few.
Speaker 3: A few has been getting a lot of ship lately.
Speaker 1: That nigga, that nigga did that roll homie, he lit it up and what is that started the compt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, O G two he did that. Man, you know, one of the greatest actor rappers of all time.
Speaker 1: Don't let because because I'm a I really studied this ship.
Speaker 3: Man who this man sitting right at the end of the table out there. I tell y'all niggas about this nigga.
Speaker 1: Right, No, homie, what are you talking about? My nigga? That right? The niggas.
Speaker 3: You need some help.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go over here and little one we don't give there got that. No y'all did that my nigga. No.
Speaker 4: Seeing that movie, I said, man, this nigga is probably the most gang banging this nigga in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honey, I'm listen, listen. I mean I wouldn't listen in the hood. Bro listen. It's the school in our hood, right in the middle on Skyline at sixty first Street when we was young as a creative and performing arts school. Nanda Lewis went there. Nick Cannon went a lot, A lot of actors and entertainers went to this school. Hummy, we studied hommie how to do you know? It was in the hood, so you wanted to go to the school because all little brawls run around the lytards and she was like fan. But for the street niggas, we would just take as our elected would just be you know, drama acting or something, you know, make a little skits and classes ship. So I learned ship, and I know, shit, the hommy got it off, you feel me? The hommy did that. I thought you was gonna say, like a like a cause you know Pocket act. I mean, we know Pocket, we know he could act. But I'm saying, I'm saying from a nigga that no, not just cause he said it and he went to school. You know he did his say.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 3: A good actor. He was a really good actor, you know, which is why he was such a good hip hop artist. You know what I'm saying. He was able to get that shit off. You know what I mean? You know that motherfucker. You thought he you know, he's meant business when he said what he said.
Speaker 4: The reasons I say that, man, is because you got some rappers who aren't good actors, you know what I'm saying. E eight pulled that shit off though. And I think eight, by me knowing him a little bit, now I know why I used to always wondered why he didn't do more movies that much from probably turned down more shit just from where he was at. You know, he that's what this rap shit mean to him. He was like, ain't nobody gonna try to make me no no comedian you know, no, no, no, no cartoon character. He wouldn't having it, you know what I'm saying. So he pretty much probably sacrifice. Come on, it's not wanting to do certain shit, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't want to do a lot of funny ship. I didn't want to do a lot of Niggas was hitting me about funny ship and scripts about come of these ship and I was like, nah, man, I'm cool.
Speaker 3: So that's what really did it for me.
Speaker 1: Hey check it out, Hey tell me this right here. About minutes right. Remember when you hit the nigga at the end at the shot, right, did y'all make it a point to make sure that y'all busted ten times that you shot him ten times? Oh? Yeah, it was a desert ego and the desert ego held ten bus Yeah, held it held.
Speaker 5: I said when they gave me the when they gave it to me, like, uh, when they gave me the gun earlier that day, you know, before we was getting ready to shoot the sing I was like, what the fuck is this? Because they I just came out with desert and I said, what the fuck is this? He said, And so the gun dude was like, oh yeah, I just got that. He was like, it's a Desert Eagle three fifty seven. And I said, where the fuck y'all get this shit from? So I was just fucking with it all day. So they didn't really tell me how many times to shoot the nigga. A lot of my shit was ad libbed, I guess, because you know, having a true affiliation with the neighborhood and gang banging and all that, So they didn't know.
Speaker 3: So it was.
Speaker 5: Basically on instinct or whatever I felt. So when the nigga got out the car and I shot him twice, Bob Bob and he fell. I was just like, man, this nigga still moving around and shit, nigga in the neighborhood. It ain't nobody. We just gonna I'm just gonna keep shooting the nigga until it's over with. So I just kept dumping bing bing bing of that movie.
Speaker 1: That just added on to that because I knew, like who I was dying to get one of them at the time.
Speaker 5: Oh Niggas soon as I left that motherfucker, and the next the next motherfucking week, nigga I was Nigga had one of their motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: It was fourteen hundred.
Speaker 5: It was about yeah, yeah, that motherfucker about fourteen fifteen. Yeah, yeah that I That motherfucker was beautiful too. That motherfucker was big as a motherfucker. That big ass barrel on the end, it just sounded like pure metal.
Speaker 3: When you cocked it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that part of that movie. I loved a lot of that movie, but that that right there, I was like because that made me. I was like, Oh, the director is gangster is a motherfucker. He made sure it was ten shots too.
Speaker 5: Oh No, I Allen and Albert was cool, but a lot of my role I got to improvise, you get me, because uh, niggas was actors, you get me. Loren's was acting, the Tyron was an actor, Jada was an actor, and and and the other niggas like too short or whatever they you know, it was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: It was a lot of less role because we don't want to take away some of the authenticity from niggas being Street affiliated. So when it came down to ship that I either had to because you know, I had a lot of lines and a lot of ship. So when it came down to even ship as simple as wardrobe, I'd be like, niggas don't wear that type of ship, and niggas don't wear that. So you know, most of the time I would just wear my own ship.
Speaker 3: I wear my own ship, and I just try to. I just try. Yeah, definitely West Coast.
Speaker 1: Right now, there's supposed to be West Coast, and I really can't get into them all the way. I ain't gonna say the name of the show.
Speaker 3: To do that. He said, no, you're gonna put them on blast. It's everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, the way you dress, what you affiliated with, what you're trying to represent that all can tell in the pattern of your clothing.
Speaker 3: You get me.
Speaker 5: Uh, you're supposed to be a hood nigga from l A or Compton or the streets period, and you West Coast, Southern California, San Diego.
Speaker 3: Ship. You ain't on a certain you.
Speaker 1: Can't do no West Coast movie. And the nigga got on tims.
Speaker 5: Just exactly definitely. You can't put on no TEMs and try to confuse it with like, you know.
Speaker 3: Who did a good job.
Speaker 4: You did a good job, And I'm gonna tell you what he did a good job. Snowfall did an excellent job for the most part of making sure that motherfuckers stayed on point. But I'm gonna tell you what that was because they had Duve see yut there. You know he was on the set making sure a lot of that stuff was on point, especially when you talk about from the point Dick Jerome is not the dude to play Uncle Jerome wasn't even from out here though, He's not.
Speaker 3: From day from Brooklyn somewhere, and he played the hell out that part. Man.
Speaker 1: I could tell he from Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: You could tell you think you don't think, I think you just given him a hard time, mixed. Uncle Jerome is singing right to you.
Speaker 1: Uncle Jerome didn't seem like no crip. I don't think he was going to West Coast India supposed to be no crip.
Speaker 3: Well, he was a nigga. They say he was a Texas nigga.
Speaker 1: A risin Okay, So that's the storyline.
Speaker 3: He was a risk Texas.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 4: But if you look at the eighties, that's all. It was a bunch of big country motherfuckers out here in the eighties.
Speaker 3: If you remember, he.
Speaker 4: Just come from the docks, just come from the South, early on, get it. You know, he was the early on dudes. You know, dude, no doubt. Yeah, you kind of gave me a looking at you didn't think they did a big job.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I was just a situation like that, like I see, if I'm doing it, cast it and I'm doing the war joke, and it's on the West Coast, it's we're gonna come on, man, We're gonna at least see one period of case Swiss or something in the eighties. My nigga, you feel we're gonna see some kse Swiss. We're gonna see some motherfucking We're gonna see.
Speaker 4: Some I think what they overdo it, that is with the chuck tailors and stuff over Chucks and yeah, beaxactly.
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 4: When I came out here and eighty eight niggas wasn't walking around just wearing kers and like that. Niggas was wearing Jordan's Niggas. You know what I'm saying. They was wearing Kse Swiss. They was wearing the.
Speaker 1: Gang bangers wear Chuck like active gang bangers, not gang members, gang bangers, We're Chuck Taylors, you feel me. Yeah, niggas money having thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars, niggas wearing some you know, some Eleast and some Sergio Tikini's and something.
Speaker 4: Man, I saw more. I saw more feeler straight up. With the little silk shirts they had.
Speaker 1: It wasn't no name, it was just the silk, little silk shirts, ch silk shirts with the sideways corduroy.
Speaker 4: This way cross courts y. That's where I guess, man, where I was at. Everybody was ballers on the team. That's everybody were cross courts and at least feelers.
Speaker 3: All that everybody was draped up.
Speaker 1: You know, everybody had money.
Speaker 3: Everybody had money back then.
Speaker 1: Man, I was, but I saw it then, But I saw.
Speaker 4: It before we get up out of here. Man, what's on the agenda?
Speaker 1: Man, Man, I got I got a gang of ship going on right now, first or foremost, what I'm doing every day right now. I got a clothing line I started. Everybody got a clothing line. But I'm making some quality ship for street niggas on me, West Coast street niggas. And I say that because it's different fits and different ship everywhere. A lot of these niggas trying to fit into you know, European fashion. I ain't doing that. I gotta I gotta line. It's specifically for niggas like me and the hummies. You know, I make sure I have big niggas. Shit, whatch you were? Hommy?
Speaker 4: Three four three three x man? Certain ship for us, But that's what we need. Is I going to story by a certain ship?
Speaker 1: Already know that?
Speaker 3: And all they got for us is polos Man that ships so disrespectful to.
Speaker 1: Make sure I make fours and five. I even got shipped five x in my in my life. That's good, hummies, but uh yeah, it's called trip where I live. You can go to tribwilelive dot com and we hustling right there. I mean, I'm gonna turn that ship into some major and I'm gonna make sure I have something for the show too, you know what I'm saying, so the hommies can have it.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: And I'm working on music too, man, Like I got a lot of a few projects coming out. I've been doing like a lot of specialty projects. I just dropped the album last year with a servetted Donald and I mean they did a single on the group album. He a hard ass producer from Fresno and ship hard as fuck and no, no, no, no no wait wait Cervet is from Man, what's Servet from? He from He right there by first though. But anyway, we did an album call on, Call On. Everybody hates Mitch. Have some slaps on there, have foty on their had a jay Worthy on that thing. Shout out to the homies Fody and jay Worthy for rocking that for me.
Speaker 3: Jay Worthy, Man, I saw that boy come up. Man.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, he's still gonna come up.
Speaker 5: I got a new we got he got a new single, Lot right now on see he gonna keep it g Yeah, that's my Yeah, that's my little dude right there. Nigga pee, nigga p my nigga pee, keep it moving.
Speaker 3: He a good cat man.
Speaker 1: He wanted he wanted to. He wanted to throws what I mean better, I mean, like a real homie type ship.
Speaker 3: Ain't trying to stick to that old school for Matt. He loved the old school for.
Speaker 1: Looking any any showed homage to it ninety six, ninety five.
Speaker 3: He loves that era.
Speaker 1: He shows homage to that. And yeah, he was on that album. And then I got an album uffin to put out right now. This is just straight gutter Mitchie slick shit. For all the people that might have forgot, I got it fucked up. It's called selective politicking. And it's just the raw s s something like some trigger raising station shit. Damn there, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That's are you be coming up with some titles?
Speaker 1: Man? But that's the my my whole thing the whole time being concepts, you know what I'm saying, Just concepts with the the shit I'm talking about on the song, the the the the the the shit, the the it's it's concepts with me. I try to the way I learned it that you know, Urban survival syndrome is a real it's a defense plea that the's it's it's it's supposed to be a clinically uh uh a clinical condition that's been diagnosed a an and and and said to be had by young chats in the street that basically especially like a fight or flight type of uh type of mental condition to where when you see it nigga walking down the street, you don't think, oh, there goes another brother, right, you know, you think shit with this? Who this nigga automatically think that you know, feel me. And that's a condition we all have coming from what we c have. It's it's connected to PTSD and ship and ship. Yeah man, I did that with Mugs that album. Yeah yeah, yeah, we did the album and Muggs did Irby surviv was sitting on that was like two thousand and eight. Shout out to the homie DJ Mugs. We also working on some ship now. I've been I've been getting my little here and there everywhere. I'm working with the few Mike and Keys, you know, Mike and Keys and did all Nipsey ship were working right now. We just did like three songs to start our project the other day. I'm all over the place right now. I mean, you know what I'm saying because I I don't do this ship because I got to. I do this ship because I because I'm just a competitive nigga that like people to hear what I what I made and ship like that. And uh, you know, if you're laying on on some masses at this time in my career, that's cool too. But if it dumb shit, I ain't tripping. Just just some repping for my city, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's doll man. I know Mac Tin a big fan.
Speaker 1: That's my nigga. Man, shout out to Mac ten. Mac Ten had me come out on that uh on that uh that West Coast ship. Man, I'm a giant.
Speaker 3: Yeah that turned out real big.
Speaker 1: That was jumbo Man. That was a.
Speaker 3: That was a Mac.
Speaker 4: Turns out Mac did the metley at the end Man and all the records. I ain't realize Mac had that many records.
Speaker 1: I ain't never got to perform that. That was my That's the first time eate I ever really performed for a group of fans of what I really do. The most exactly like all the real niggas was at that show. I just want to thank the homie Mac for that opportunity. Homie, you know what I'm saying. That was a good look for me.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, Yeah it was. Man. Well, Man, we I know we don't have y'all in here for a minute tonight, but this was one of those ones.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: We appreciate y'all checking in with us. Man, make sure y'all leave us at five star rating Man on Apple, Spotify, wherever you listen to the show at and we out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, that concludes another episode of The Gainst the Chronicles podcast. Be sure to download the iHeart app and subscribe to the Gangst the Chronicles podcast For Apple users, find a purple Michael on the front of your screen. Subscribe to the show leader Common and Rating. Executive producers for the Gangst the Chronicles podcast Norman Still, Aaron M c A. Tyler, our visual meeting your directors, Brian Watt, and the audio editors Tell It Hayes. The gains the Chronicles is a production of iHeartMedia Network and The Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you're listen to your podcasts