Speaker 1: The NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: They're here.
Speaker 1: Every play could be the one that changes everything. It's the NBA Playoffs where heroes rise, legacies are built, and the action never lets up. And with Draft Kings Sports Book, an official sports betting partner of the NBA, you don't just watch the madness, you live it. Back your favorite team, ride the player that you think is going to do great. Bet on the buzzer beaters. The breakout performance is the game winning threes from player props to same game parlays. This is how you take your fandom to the next level. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use the code Bobby Sports. That's the code Bobby Sports for new customers to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and wire text ope and wy that's for six to seven three sixty nine and Connecticut help Us available for problem gambling. Call it at eight seventy nine seven seven seven seven of business CZPG do or please play responsibly on behalf of Boo Hill Casino in Resort, Kansas. Twitter and plus age and eligibility varias by jurisdiction voided onto get one NBA profit boost per game after opting boost expires the end of each game. Boost bet criteria and maximum bet limits vary. See terms at sportsbook dot DraftKings dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash promos a podcast called twenty five whist Stocking fun fall and they go, well a whist so, yeah, it's too bad, but what did you expect.
Speaker 5: It's a podcast called twenty five.
Speaker 1: Whistles twenty wine. Welcome, Eddie, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: Kevin's back.
Speaker 5: There you go, Kevin.
Speaker 1: That's enough, all right anyway, So it's good to have him back. Yeah whatever.
Speaker 5: Good to see you again too.
Speaker 1: Yeah whatever.
Speaker 2: And look he looks like he's slept.
Speaker 1: You do look a little refreshed up. I'm just kidding. You did have twins first time you been back in two weeks and I don't know what's up.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Actually, to your point, Eddie, a lot of people have said that, like when we go to the doctor or it's somebody like coming back here today, people are like, dude, you don't have like bags on your eyes. Okay, and the number one thing, help help.
Speaker 2: Help your parents.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like the night shifts.
Speaker 6: Those suck, but during the day we could take naps for a couple hours because they can watch the kids. My mom is still here. Her mom leaves today, but they've been here for two weeks.
Speaker 2: Dude, that's when it gets real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we'll get a full play by play coming up. I want to know, like what it was like looking at him when it comes out all of that. I want to full play.
Speaker 2: Go to the video. I got a video.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we can put it up.
Speaker 2: I'm good with him. We don't want to see that, Bobby.
Speaker 1: Sports, So we'll come back and get to that. In case there are new listeners who just don't want to hear about Kevin having a baby, we'll put that at the end of the show.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 1: Don't be disappointed.
Speaker 5: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: They don't want to hear about that.
Speaker 1: We do have wait for us at football coach Jake Dicker coming up. I love the dude, probably because he listens to the show.
Speaker 2: That was pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and he's like young and he's cool. So that's coming up in just a little bit. The thing that makes me laugh at the most. Now, I will say this first, that Kaitlyn Clark injured a quad and so she's out for about a month. And there's a game coming up. It's the Fever and the Chicago Sky it's Angel Reese's team, and they already had the incident earlier this year. And by the way, the WNBA was like, yeah, there's nothing to it, there's nothing racist said, because that was the whole thing. It was like, oh, we got racist remarks all during the WABA is like, we investigated all of it. We saw nothing, phone clips, there's nothing. But it is a rivalry and Caitlyn's hurt. And so tickets have gone from like the lowest priced ticket to being like eighty five bucks to like six dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Everybody goes with the games because of Kaitlyn's Yeah. Yeah, And if you know what speaks louder than anything else, money and how much people are willing to spend. Who's willing to go. So that being said, this Angel Reese clip I'm Gonna play is so funny because I've watched every one of them they've done. It's these guys on TikTok and they get on and they bet every game that Angel Reyes plays. They're from at Stadium Live app. They bet because there's a bet will Angel Reese make or miss her first shot of the game?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: I don't know what the odds are. It can't be fifty to fifty because the shooting percentage isn't just straight fifty to fifty. I would bet you the favorite is that she's going to miss. Yeah, it's like I said, just playing the odds, not even about her, but about anybody. Yeah, and so I'm gonna play the fourth one because they've hit three in a row. By the way, this is the fourth. I don't know why I think this is so funny. This is the fourth one. And it's a split screen and all these four guys are like watching their TV over on the top and on the bottom it's Angel Reese and the Chicago Skuy and it's the start of the game. As she gets the ball underneath the goal.
Speaker 7: Here we go four.
Speaker 8: Here it over modulates the phone. Microphone, that's how loud you're screaming?
Speaker 7: So loud?
Speaker 5: Good for that. My heart will go on.
Speaker 1: She's missed four opening shots in a row. That's worth hearing a second time. It is because you know what's about to happen. Now hit it again. Here we go, maybe more here.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 5: We should start doing that.
Speaker 1: That's funny. You missed the Wholton Eddie AI controversy.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, wait controversy.
Speaker 2: I mean, have you seen any of the clip?
Speaker 5: Legal trouble? Oh no, no, legal trouble. I heard about that, so I know.
Speaker 1: I made a full video.
Speaker 2: Wait, we're gonna read, We're gonna relive this again.
Speaker 5: Does he turn into something or whatever?
Speaker 2: No, okay, he's talking about the heroin Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh where his hair comes out?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there is a new program from Google. It's Vo three. It's the most realistic AI you could ever make. And I made a promo for the Bobby Cast for those that are hearing the story again, I apologize, bear with me.
Speaker 2: Don't want to apology accepted.
Speaker 5: I got new listeners.
Speaker 1: So I made a promo for the Bobbycast. The two cowboys riding horses looks like a movie. It's so realistic. And I was just showing people that follow me on social media how realistic it is and how versatile it is. So then I made a news anchor at a desk looks as real as can be, and its like I said, make a British news anchor that tells the new story of Eddie having a small PP. And so he's at the desk and he's like this, just in, Eddie has a small PP and it's so real. But everybody reacted to it like it was the funniest thing I'd ever done. Even my in laws in laws.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: I posted on Instagram and they were like, we have to admit we laughed.
Speaker 2: Wow, wow.
Speaker 1: And so I went to animate a full Your father in law laughed at that. My mother in law especially, well, she doesn't laugh at that. She's not low hanging fruit because she's hilarious, right, and she was like that. She was like, I laughed, And so I did that video and then I made three other clips. You can only do eight seconds at a time because it's so advanced. So I made a four like a thirty second video and Eddie said, don't post that. People will think it's real but it's not, and you know it's not. But I'll play it for you ready. It's it's just in. Oh, Mike, you have it. Yeah, Okay, go ahead. This just in Eddie has a tiny peek. That's good to see. Reporter.
Speaker 5: Now it's true. I just saw for myself, Producer.
Speaker 1: Eddie is the tiniest adult in America.
Speaker 2: There's a Mexican flag on my house.
Speaker 7: None of that.
Speaker 1: Eddie's in the house.
Speaker 5: And I'll prove to the world it's not true.
Speaker 2: Talking to my family.
Speaker 5: I'll take every measuring device.
Speaker 1: Now he's in like a lows with measuring devices. He's in a parking lot, he says, measurement zone. And he's got all these devices. And if you look at it like it looks, it looks so real about He was like, don't post that. And I was like, okay, but you think people think it's really goes Yeah, he goes post it and see the thing it's real And I'm like, well, you just said don't post it.
Speaker 2: How many people thought it was real?
Speaker 1: None?
Speaker 5: My mom thought it was real.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Actually thought it was funny, not real.
Speaker 5: That is hilarious, dude, that was good.
Speaker 1: I made a new one. Not about that, thank god.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about the one has a small.
Speaker 1: Which all of them is just small?
Speaker 5: PB videos read The British accent is so good. I think that's what makes it great.
Speaker 1: Because it sounds serious, elevated.
Speaker 2: Did you specifically say British music? Why would you like, why would your mind even go there.
Speaker 1: Because British people sound smarter than we are, and I thought, if it's a British news anchor, they seem it seems a bit elevators official. And he's like, welcome, Eddie has a small pape and I thought it'd be funny legit. So there you go, dude.
Speaker 2: The house that the reporter's stay in front of, it's Mexican.
Speaker 1: Flag on and she's holding it. She's holding a tape measure.
Speaker 2: Stupid.
Speaker 6: And then when you're talking to your kids or your family, are they like all sitting in front of ye, my wife's woe.
Speaker 2: He was specific with the details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, uh, people don't think it's real, but it is funny. That was a mild controversy here on the show because that he got a little irritated, but we found out mostly he was irritated because he had he lost a bunch of bets the weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was kind of the root of it.
Speaker 5: It was like an underlying thing there.
Speaker 2: I'm taking a break from betting Kevin.
Speaker 1: We've heard that before.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, you're gonna have to pull a read if you really want to do that and call your son yourself.
Speaker 2: I would never do that. Hey, yeah, what's.
Speaker 1: Up, by the way, good news for you. Thunder clenched, I know, And Eddie said at the beginning, goes, I'm gonna go out on the limb. They picked the Thunder. We're like, dude, they're the favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the favorite, like, there's a long road to get there.
Speaker 1: I can agree with that as well, but that's not a limb to pick the favorite. So he said, if you want to go on a limb, put something up, and he was gonna wear a woman's song. I still can if they don't win the championships.
Speaker 5: So aren't you wearing one right now?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Oh now, I'm saving it.
Speaker 1: Okay, lose for it.
Speaker 5: So chances looking pretty good.
Speaker 1: They did win. They look good. Kevin's we haven't talked about this as Celtics. They go out and it wasn't Achilles' injury. Tatum's not gonna be on the team at all. They probably gonna trade Drew Holiday all that thoughts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, next year it could be a long one for us, But I know we talked about it a little before I left. I'm all in if we're gonna if we're gonna sell, if we're gonna trade Drew, And I know some people are talking about trading Jalen.
Speaker 5: You can probably get a lot back for Jalen.
Speaker 1: No chance they try to do Jen.
Speaker 6: I don't think Sue either, But there's some people out there talking about it that I listened to sports Wise. And but if we're if we're like, you know, next year, we're done, then let's be done. I don't want any hope. I don't want a sliver of hope. If Tatum doesn't play at all, that's fine.
Speaker 1: There is no hope.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 2: How do you do that? How do you just like go into a season and being like, there's just oh.
Speaker 1: Let me let me tell you. As an Arkansas Razorbacks fan.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you have you. You're not gonna start the season being like I'm just gonna watch every game.
Speaker 5: No, I'm gonna watch.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm gonna root. However, my expectations are, dude, we're gonna I know our ceiling. There's nothing out love more than the Razorbacks. But with the staff that we have in the team, that we have. We ain't gonna win more than six game seven max. Like I know that, and you know that. I know that, And anything more than that surprises you. I'll be happily surprised. There is no chance we don't have it. We don't have the coaching staff, we don't have the players. I saw where we're like the one of the lowest rated, like player ranking teams in the SEC. Like if you give every player a score at eighty six point seven and we're like third in the Sun Belt. If we're on the Sunbelt, No, you don't win the SEC games if that's the case, and it sucks. It sucks. Yeah, And nothing's gonna change at least I don't want hell.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And that's what I'm saying, Like this isn't something that's going to be last for five years or anything. But if we need to take a year off, step back, made a good big draft pick, maybe get somebody I don't know, free agent or trade because I think Porzingis might be gone to love the guy, but he just cannot stay healthy.
Speaker 1: You also have to move money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And and Brad Stevens has been unbelievable since he's been GM for the last three four years, so I trust him. Whatever he does, I'm cool with. But I just don't want that. You know, hey, we could still win. The only thing that keeps me like, Okay, maybe we should still go in is the East. Next year, it's just like still going to be pretty wide open, especially if the Bucks get rid of y Honest, unless he stays in the East, it's like Miami, No Pacers are going to be really good again.
Speaker 1: Where the buck go, where the Bucks, excuse me, where Yannis goes won't matter a lot if they if they stay in the East. I think he'll go to a team though that gives him a chance to win, regardless he has said, and not that it matters fully that he wants to go to a team that has no state income tax interesting, which is Texas. I haven't heard that Texas and Florida. It doesn't mean it has to be that, but it could be a team like Miami. But listen, it's gotta be Houston, mostly because Houston actually has the draft capital to trade. It could even be Oklahoma City. But I don't think they're gonna mess with what they have now because what they have now, they're gonna be able to have for years, especially Chet Sga and Jalen Williams. Those three they're gonna be able to keep for five years. They may have to move some of the other pieces, but yeah, it's yeah, the East is gonna be weird. Cleveland should be good again, and they'll lose just in time.
Speaker 5: Right, that's the thing, Like, Okay, man nixt will be good again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, interesting to see what they do too, because they're already you know, they haven't lost officially yet, but it just like the look that way, I know.
Speaker 5: But it's like Thibideau, is he gonna be here? Is kat gonna be here?
Speaker 6: All this stuff and it's like, so I don't know, a lot of things need to happen, but I'm on board with whatever we do.
Speaker 5: Just do it.
Speaker 6: Because I don't like having that little hope and then being like, you know what, now we're what drafting fifteenth, Tatum didn't really play it this year.
Speaker 2: Play at all.
Speaker 1: He needs a ballet ballet, vallet, no ballet. Tatum needs ballet like he.
Speaker 5: Needs to do ballet, recover, rehab, rehabs ballet.
Speaker 1: Herschel Walker used to do ballet, that's right, and now Nicobe Dean from the Eagles has said he's now doing ballet because he tore butller tendon during the playoff game over the Packers last year, and part of his rehab has been training with the Philadelphia Ballet Company.
Speaker 2: Wow, that patella is the like the kneecap, right.
Speaker 1: It's the but yeah, the patella tendon. I think it's I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's patella, but it's spelled patella.
Speaker 1: Okay, good. If it's spelled pateller and it's said patella, that's.
Speaker 5: Weird English language.
Speaker 1: It's really spelled peller. Yeah, it's got an orange because I know the patella, but I don't know what spelled the art.
Speaker 5: Well, now you get me thinking about I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure you're right. I know there's a patella, but maybe the patella or tendon is spelled.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe it's still tended. Night is tender?
Speaker 1: Is that it's not the butatella though, it's got to be a different tendon than the patella aause the buttello is.
Speaker 6: The nieh my gosh too. Yeah, there's a patella, tella and a pateller.
Speaker 1: Okay, my gosh, Okay.
Speaker 2: You're already dog in the English language.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: Well, we can go down this list.
Speaker 1: So what's what's the patella tendon?
Speaker 6: The bateller tendon looks like it's on the outside of the knee.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's not. The patella.
Speaker 5: Looks like the top of the knee.
Speaker 2: Very confusing, correct not.
Speaker 1: If you're a doctor and you study it.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 1: I said. There's way more flexibility and way more mobility. It's definitely something that's helping with rehab. You just feel a change immediately after you stretch. You're not as tight or sore. So uh, Nikobe Dean and Jason Tatum.
Speaker 2: Wonder if any of them like fall in love with the ballet like a show up in the Nutcracker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like like the dancers give up football to pursue ballet.
Speaker 5: Forget football, dang into ballet.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to take a break come back with Jake Dickert, who is the head coach of Wake Forest football. This will be his first year at Wake Forest. He was at Washington State and built that program into a really good place, three bowl games in three years. Like Jake Dickert, I think you're gonna love Jake Dickert. We will do this and come right back. The NBA Finals are here. Every play could be the one that changes everything. It's the playoffs where heroes rise, legacies are built, and the action never lets up. And with Draft Kings Sports Book, an official sports betting partner of the NBA, you don't just watch the madness, you live it. Back your favorite team, or back your favorite player or the one that you think is gonna crush it. Bet on buzzer beaters, breakout performances, game winning threes. There are player props which I love, their same game parlays. This is how you take your fandom to the next level. You know what the deal is. Eddie has agreed way at the beginning of the playoffs that the thunder were gonna win it all. We didn't think that was that crazy. You have a bet because well they were the favorite behind Boston. And then he saw what happened to Tatum. Okay, so he's still riding though now he's Look it's marter and smarter. If you're new to the game, download the Draft Kings Sports Book. Gap bet just five bucks and if your bet wins, you'll score three hundred dollars in bonus bets. It's easy download the DraftKings sports book app. Use the code Bobby Sports. That's the code Bobby Sports for new customers to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and wire tex op and WY that's four six seven three sixty nine and Connecticut helps available for problem gambling called it at eight seventy nine seven seven seven seven of business E'SZPG do or please play responsibly on behalf of Blu Hill Casino in Resort Kansas. Twitter on plus age and eligibility variags by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. Get one NBA profit Boost per game after opt in boost expires at the end of each game. Boost bet criteria and maximum betlimits vary. See terms at sportsbook dot DraftKings dot Com, slash promos.
Speaker 1: And now our conversation with Jake Dickert. He was named the thirty third head coach of Wake Forest Football in December of last year. He has seventeen years of coaching experience. He was born in the eighties, so he's a young guy. He looks like a young guy.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: As of the hiring at Wake Forest, his record at Washington stadia a winning record, went to three Bowl games. He was a wide receiver at Wisconsin Stevens Point and he's kind of done it all. But he was known at Washington State as the guy who came in and stabilized that program and then one with consistency and then they got good. So really cool. Love talking with them. You can follow him on Twitter at coach Dickert. Here he is Jake Dickert. Hey, coach. First of all, congratulations on the new job. You're much closer to us so we can now watch these games and not have to wait until like ten PM to watch the games from when your way out west. So congratulations, Thank you.
Speaker 7: If you think the hard part is watching them, you should see coaching in them in the next day, trying to get ready for your next opponents. So it's a big challenge. But excited to be out here on the East coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I was thinking, because I'm gonna be honest with you, I was talking to Frank Raich yesterday who's coaching at Stanford and he's got to travel east a lot. Do you do you guys have to travel all the way west ever this year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's actually odd. We don't do it in conference, but we go play kind of an old foe that I was used to at Washington State State. So we got to head over to Core Vallas this year and make that long trek. Fortunately, acc gave us a break where we got to buy a week after, so we kind of get that recovery. Going east to west isn't bad, but it's always is coming back and losing that time.
Speaker 1: Whenever you come into a new program like you did, and you I guess we're announced in December? Is that true? By the way, Yeah, okay, in late December. What do you do because again that's like holiday time as well, so like everything is confusing. We don't even know what day it is during that time. Like how quickly and how important is it for you to like try to have a relationship with some of the players that you want to maintain.
Speaker 7: I'll say this, Bobby. First off, you know, we've created this portal era of college football, and the first thing the portal did was kill Christmas. Right, there is no more kind of after season break for coaches, and it's kind of something that we've accepted. You know, when coach Classon retired late here, it was hard because by the time I got on campus, everybody was gone, right, So it was trying to you know, convince kids to stay a recruit kind of your own roster, you know, doing facetimes and zooms and family calls just like this. So you know, you know, as much as anybody being in entertainment, like, there's an in person personal vibe that you have to feel with people. So it was very hard, you know to kind of go navigate through that kind of challenging process and really put a roster together in a quick order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like that would be tough. Did you make and can you make travel plans to go out and have in persons if they're home? Is that legal?
Speaker 7: Yeah? It is. It's just one of those things where you're kind of like prioritize and execute, like what is this one thing that we need to focus on now. I mean, it's retaining players, it's getting ready for the portal, it's building a staff. I mean, there's just all these different laundry lists of things that we chose to kind of do it through here at that moment, and then as soon as it opened back up, I got a chance to go out and visit with all the signees and do home visits and kind of go through that different type of process. But you know, the game has changed, especially with trying to you know, navigate, because as soon as the coaching change happens, the Sharks come in and everyone's trying to get your best players. There's this ten day window of kind of you're just trying to get to your feet back underneath yourself in a new deal and try to get everyone to believe in the process and what your vision is.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to ask a question, but I'm gonna be background to why I asked the question. There was a brief period of time where I was considering running for the governor of my home state of Arkansas, and I was actually being recruited. They have these these these companies that are these organizations that come and go, hey, we think you'd be a great fit to run, we think you can win, and so a little bit I was getting gassed up going maybe I do want to go be governor of Arkansas, because, like I love my home state. I think I could do a lot for it. And then it turned into, well, most of your day is being on the phone asking for money like that was most of the time, and I was like, you know what, that does not sound appealing. Now when I look at your job and how different it is from today to three or four years ago, and have other friends that have our head coaches, different programs, how much of it is actually trying to find money now?
Speaker 7: Well, my greatest mentor is Craig Ball And the first thing he told me, he said, Jake, if you ever want to get out of coaching, become a head coach, right, because it is everything Sometimes besides sitting in those meeting rooms, the X is in and OS is more of a mentorship development role. When you're talking about the players. I'm a big, you know, guy on sports psychology and high performance. But when you're looking at the other side, especially in today's world at wake Forest and a lot of other programs, you got to you gotta raise money. I mean, there's a collective aspect, there's an nil aspect, there's a program fund aspect, there's a facilities aspect. There's there's just a lot of buckets that you've got to make sure you're maintaining and filling and you know, have done a lot of work in the last you know, five months since I've been here about building those relationships with the most important people in our program that you know, some are you know, former alumni, some are boosters, some are just a lot of different things that you know can help our program advance, because if you don't have those things in today's world, I mean, you're just you're sledding uphill in a in a big way.
Speaker 1: Do you ever like play golf and it's like, you know, everybody knows the whole time, like on whole sixteen you got to make the ask, but you play like fifteen holes and the guy's like, I know, coach about to ask me for money. And then you're like, so, Clint, we really could use your support. Like that's got to be happening sometimes too, right, Oh, it happens all the time.
Speaker 7: I Mean it's one of those things where I always say I'm a terrible golfer, but I'm a hell of a guy to driving the cart with right, So you know, the more you can get the cart, get all to come by and to keep them happy and fun and just really what I've learned though, it's just people are people, right, I'm in that arena because they're passionate about Wake Forest, they've already supported our football program, and you're just kind of showing them who you are as a person and what your vision is. So sometimes when it gets to that ask, it's a team ask. Right, I'm there, and they understand why I'm there and what they're doing, and you know, there's a lot of follow up in real relationships are built off off those moments.
Speaker 1: I hate because I listen, I'll be honest with you. I'm a significant donor at the University of Arkansas. Like you know, once I got some fame and some money, Like the one thing I wanted to do in my life was to be able to give and win. We have won very much, but I give hope and one day we'll win. And that's a I know, like that questions coming if if I like I'm invited to do something, if it's like, well, probably before dessert comes, or like the seventeenth hole is when the ask is gonna come. So yeah, you guys' job it is again to mentor players and be the CEO, but it's also weird, you got to it's constantly like a money situation for all things, not just building facilities, which is what it kind of used to be. Like, do you still enjoy the head coach position as much as you did?
Speaker 7: I would say this, I'm still learning a little bit, you know, ours three years at the head coach position at Washington State and now obviously here at Wake Forest. It's it's always changing. And that's the thing that's crazy right now, Bobby about college football. It's just like just when you get settled in, like we're heading down like this set of rules, it's like we just love zig zagging and swerving, and you know, we have one of the greatest games like ever invented, not just in football, in college football it is different than NFL. We have to do a better job of preserving the integrity of the game and what makes it so special and what drives so many people to be so passionate about the rivalries, about their fans, about where they went to school. So there's a lot of different things that go along with all these things of college football and being a head coach and kind of learning a little bit on the fly. I mean, you look at my past you know, Bobby, Like, I was just got named the head coach at Washington State. Six months later the PAC twelve dissolves, right, So it was like one of those things, it's a lifetime, there's a dream come true. And I've been through nothing but kind of adversity. And you know, Washington State didn't get picked up to go into one of the new Power five leagues. Right, So all my time as a head coach has been, you know, kind of standing in this adversity circle that we've had to kind of power through. And that was part of the move down here to Wake for us.
Speaker 1: So I was doing some research that I did not know about you, and you'd played wide receiver right back at Wisconsin Stevens Point. Okay, so here's the crazy thing to me is you played wide receiver, but you're known for your defensive schemes. How did usually That's not how it happened. How did that happen?
Speaker 7: Well, it was It was an interesting story. So I got a math degree. I thought I was gonna be a high school math teacher. That was my passion going to education, be a high school coach. And I was sitting, you know, having a beer with my dad, on the back porch in the summer after I graduated, and he said the one regret he does he didn't do in life was try college coaching. So I quit my job. I got a GAT where I played, and the one thing that was out is my brother was on the team, so he was an offensive center. I played offense. But my head coach is like, you're not going to ga on the same side of the ball that your brother plays on. So he's like, go learn defense. I'll help your career. You'll get back to offense no problem, you know. So as a twenty three year old kid, I started learning defense. My biggest break came and I got a GA at North Dakota State the following year, and that's been an amazing tree of defense that has kind of been, you know, permeated through all all levels of college football. So I just fit my personality. I'm a math guy, solving problems. You know. It just kind of worked out as far as like my fit and I got up a chance to be under a lot of really great people.
Speaker 1: Do you ever, I don't know, because I would think you played wide receiver, but like you weren't never a linebacker, So I think I'd want to like get in and mix it up a little bit, just to see what it feels like. You know, you like put the path you're still a young guy, Like just a little bit just so you can like see, Yeah, it's rare that someone comes from the offensive side of the ball that ends up being a specialist on the other side of the ball. How much to numbers actually, you say, math and baseball notorious analytics? Right, Baseball more seemingly more than anyone else, although we do see it more in football now they've been put it on the screen. How much numbers matter to you play to play series to series a lot?
Speaker 7: But I always look at it more as like situational analytics. Right, there is so many differfferent things. I think that the casual fan doesn't understand about the head coach and managing a game and how you utilize the numbers. I mean, just as simple as something last year college football implemented a two minute warning. So the casual fan that's been seen in the NFL, no problem, okay, no issues. Now from a head coaching standpoint, Okay, when do you want to take your timeouts? You take them before the two minute warning. You save them till after. Analytics will tell you if you have three, you start taking them after two minutes and forty seconds left on the clock. If you only have two, you got to wait until under two twenty. There's a whole bunch of different numbers that think that, you know, the casual fan doesn't quite understand how do you utilize and maximize all these different type of things like never taking a timeout inside of two oh seven left on the clock because you want to maximize the two minute warning as a full timeout. So there's a million different of those analytical situations that end up in our game. And you know, the best coaches, I think are bulletproof in those situations that the p and their team is ready for them.
Speaker 1: Coach I worked for the NFL as well, and they have told me that I cannot call the two minute warning in college has to be called a two minute time out. And I just let you know, coach, I want you to I'll get you soon. It's called a two minute time out.
Speaker 7: I know they went big on that last year. I just I just try to go with what we know.
Speaker 1: Is that like a memo that gets sent out or just somebody just tell you it's just like you know.
Speaker 7: These ACC meetings, they're pack twelve meetings, like hey, you know it's a two minute timeout and they drill the refs in it, so you know they speak in all that same language. It's it is what it is. It's all the same thing.
Speaker 1: Do you have a position group that you oversee a little more than the rest, Well, I think.
Speaker 7: The biggest thing is you always have to stay really connected to the quarterback. It's obviously I like to tell our guys, you know, the biggest decision maker on game day isn't me, it's you, right, it's the quarterback. I mean, you got the keys of the car. You know, we sit there and I want to make sure you know, every Thursday before a game, you know, we have one of these big meetings where what's your favorite play? What do you like on third down? Be aware of these situations and pressure and red zone and you know, so just making sure that you know there's a trust being built between the head coach and that position at all times. I don't think you can ever once you have a specialty kind of coming through, like I was mainly safeties, defensive backs, linebackers. I always have one eye on those guys. You know, but my job now is really the mentality of the team.
Speaker 1: I want to ask about freshman when they come in because it's a different environment now, because it's hard for freshmen to play and than freshmen a lot of times will be upset they don't get to play it. The next thing you know, they're you know, they're you know, hopping in the portal. But you guys, and I think his name is jayshawnoffitt Is I say his name, coach, yep, yeah, like real deal. But freshman, what's your expectations for him? He's an offensive lineman too, which is a very difficult place.
Speaker 7: Well, it's an interesting topic, Bobby, just in all the college football because you know, when I played, and I was a Division three player, played for the love of the game. Was never going to feed my family through this game. And you know, if you red shirted, you carved a roll out your friendshman and sophomore year and you started your junior and senior year like we'd say, one hell of a career. Okay. Now, you know, guys come in and the red shirt or they don't play the freshman year and everyone's panicking, like we've built this microwave society where you want instant success, instant opportunity. It just doesn't work like that. I call this a slow cooker game sometimes, especially at offensive line, you need to put your ass in a slow cooker and develop. And you know, I'm sorry, that's the way our game is built. And I still believe, you know, some of the transferring around, they're certain good to it. But when you're learning new techniques and new coaches and all the time, and you're never you know, setting down and building roots, it's hard for you to develop as a football player. Right. I believe the numbers were there wasn't a single offensive lineman drafted that transferred more than one time, right, because you just you can't. Right. So there's a lot of things that go into this that I think are very important in trying to get young people and not just the young people. But you know it works today, Bobby. I mean, it's their whole environment that is created around him. Agents, families, aunts, uncles, trainers, like, there's a lot of people you know, are that are in these kids' ears that you got to make sure you're building real relationships with.
Speaker 1: So how do you have that honest conversation with a highly touted high school kid that's going to come in as a freshman, you know, like often who we're talking about now to go, Hey, we love you. We see a big future, do you say, but it's going to be tough year one as an offensive lineman to hop in and start.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a really cool clip out there. I love studying like the best, Like Mike Tomlin is one of the best. And one of the things he gave a big preson presentation to his team about is having realistic expectations. I don't care if you're a first round, seventh round pick, free agent, right, there's realistic expectations that we both need to have coming into this situation. And if you just think you're gonna come from high school in the wake forest and just dominate like you're part of the one percent, right, so you already are setting yourself up for mental failure because you don't have a realistic expectation, like of what it really takes to come in here and compete. Okay, when you're ready. My number one job is you're going to play freshman, senior, everything in between. But you've got to be able to set a framework, you know, for yourself and you approach it, and then let's have constant communication about where you're at, how you can grow and get better. I talk all the time, Bobby, failure is the best thing that can ever happen in these kids, because I don't learn about you when you're scoring touchdowns. I learn about you when you get your ass knockdown. Right, That's where I step in. That's where we know the flaws. That's where we know how you can grow as a man and as a football player. Right. So all these things are interwoven into the fabric of why I truly believe football is the greatest vehicle maybe ever created to develop men, and I think it's an amazing sport that we need to protect.
Speaker 1: I have three final questions for you. I do want to talk about the general manager role that a lot of schools have. Do you have one of a football and otweit for us?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're actually one of the first and twenty twenty two at Washington State to name a general manager is his name is Robert Schlagery. Actually gad for us when we were back at Wyoming and one of the biggest things of change here at WAKE was creating a whole what we call player acquisition department. I mean it's no longer just recruiting. I mean as general managers, it's director of player personnels. It's five scouts under them, it's three people just in the recruiting phase once we identify who we want, a whole intern you know, department kind of helping all these people out. So it is an interesting and different approach. I think we're professionalized and model, but you just can't say this is professional football and do the same things that they do, right, So there still is a difference and a kind of framework that I think makes each program a little bit unique.
Speaker 1: Two questions. The conclave and you'll see where this relates. But you know, they picked the pope, they go in it, it's all shut down, and the next thing, you know, they put up white smoke. We got a new pope, and this time it was American. Pretty cool. Now, when it comes to picking the captains, is that a team voted thing? And do you shut it down? White smoke come out? Like what's happening when you guys pick a captain?
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's always a little bit different team by team and year by year. You know, I think in twenty twenty two in Washington State. We had four guys. You know, I think they were just kind of you're feeling out your team. I think last year we had six guys, you know, kind of see how it shapes out. What I like to do, Bobby is, you know, we vote for position leaders, which I think then in turn become our leadership council. We train those guys like I read them books like The Twin Thieves. Right here, this is like our culture playbook. We go through it, and then from that group of people, you know, then the team after fall camps kind of votes on you know, who they want. We give them two votes, and you know, whether it's three guys, whether it's two guys. At one time I did a coaches pick because I thought there was someone that vitally needed to be in that room. So it's kind of a feel and a year to year thing on what kind of team you have.
Speaker 1: You don't have like a spy in there, though, you put someone in to actually tell you what's really happening.
Speaker 7: No, these are real bots. Okay, all right, I don't think that the coaches kind of just trump all this stuff. This is this is real voting.
Speaker 1: Give me your Mount Rushmore for your favorite musical artists of all time?
Speaker 7: Wow, what a what a question. Probably a little bit of recency bias. I've just kind of transition probably in the last ten years to country music. So right now it would be Luke, Colmbs, Morgan Wallen, you know, right right out the bat. When I grew up, I would say probably Eminem and then I'm gonna put like little Wayne in there. I kind of went through a phase of we kind of you know, mixing, mixing a whole bunch of different genres. So I did get a chance to see a George Strait concert that was kind of way up there is just find of a bucket list thing to do, so we're kind of knocking these off once I get a little bit of time, getting a chance to get out there and here's some music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can tell we were born around the same time, coach. Honestly, that's definitely Hey one like asterisk bonus question. Will you tell me about that book? I'm a big reader if you like it? Like why?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 7: First off, Steve Jones was actually a teammate of mine back in back at UW. Stevens point. The book is not about him, but it's about his teams. He ended up being one of the highly the most winning this high school football team ever in the state of Wisconsin. And I'm just a big believer in sports psychology. And without giving away the book, and I'll send you on Bobby the Twin Thieves. I love studying high performance and what holds people back, okay, and how we're going to bridge that gap. And the whole book is designed around two things are crushing kind of young people and performers today. It's the fear of failure, right, and they're not seeing it as a way to grow and get better, and we must fail to grow. But more importantly, the second thief is the fear of judgment. Right. I think a lot of young people today are paralyzed from the social media aspect of it. And what do my teammates think, What does social media think? What happens now? And it just holds people back from becoming the best versions of themselves. That's all I ask of our guys. Our staff are employed, whoever it is, and our standard is delivering your best, and we can't be held back by false narratives. Right. And there's so many different culture building examples throughout the course of this book, and there's great stories that I think are relatable, and you know, we kind of work through it and discuss it. But I think those are the two biggest things that I try to help people like bridge that gap and how they overcome these things, because I think we all grow up different, we all have our scars. I openly talk about mine and my failures and where I've learned and grown, so they don't see me as some shiny perfect object as being the head coach. So I think, you know, the more you can do that and relate to these guys, and I just think even reading them, just books like that, I think it all connects us in a special way.
Speaker 1: We have a girl on the show that every time she plays a game, it's not like we're competing for a scholarship, but she gets so tight. She's really smart, but she cannot play a game because she freaks out and gets so nervous. What advice would you give her?
Speaker 7: Oh man, that's a good question. You know, some of it is I've I've listened to some of your games, So there's some hard ones. There are some hard ones out there that are really tough. Obviously, Lunchbox doesn't have that issue.
Speaker 1: He does not have that issue.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's just he can just go out there and just say whatever. I just be confident. More importantly, like one thing I try to do and this doesn't relate to it. But be you right, be you align with us. Man. Just be the best version of yourself. Go out there, have fun, be able to have been, been able to laugh at yourself a little bit as you go throughout your journey, and I think it becomes obviously a well purposed vision of yourself.
Speaker 1: Coach. We really appreciate the time. I'm rooting for you guys this year. Yeah, super cool. I'm excited to see what wake Forest does. I don't ever root against wake Forest is a fun thing. Some teams I root against sometimes I never root against wake Forest, so it's easy for me to just hop in and root for you guys. So yeah, really appreciate the time. Good luck and looking forward to seeing you guys next season.
Speaker 7: I keep up all the great work, go Dex.
Speaker 1: Thanks Coach. There's Forbess in the room now. Kevin, I have to say you're the only one that didn't get invited to go on the golf trip, but mostly cause you had twins. You can't go.
Speaker 5: There's no way, you're a fun When is it now?
Speaker 1: We're leaving now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah I can't go. Guys, I do I have only been, I think once this year.
Speaker 2: But yeah, wasn't Brandon talking like that?
Speaker 5: What am I talking about? Heat? Do you ever golf in your spare time? So what's going on?
Speaker 1: Why you didn't get invited?
Speaker 5: Okay, I appreciate that we're going to a course.
Speaker 1: This guy like a ten month waiting period.
Speaker 2: I know, now you're rubbing it.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, we didn't need to throw that in there, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna play the full round. We're going to Paynes Valley, which is out outside of Branson, but it's part of the whole. Johnny Morris Big Cedar, uh they do is a PGA tournament course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Johnny Morris owns a Who's we who.
Speaker 1: Eddie Brandon, Brandon, my brother in law, DJ and my father in law.
Speaker 5: That's legit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we don't have any rules.
Speaker 7: Really.
Speaker 1: I was like, we bring cameras, like, do whatever you want.
Speaker 5: We're really you're here.
Speaker 2: We're gonna play without pants, all of it nice.
Speaker 1: And then we're playing. They have a of course they haven't finished building yet, but they have like eleven holes fully done. It's a part three. It's like the space. They say, it's like playing on the moon.
Speaker 5: What what? What does it even mean?
Speaker 1: Because you're all it's all in like over caverns and caves.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 6: Yeah, really like you're playing in the sphere in Las Vegas or something kind of Yeah, exactly like that actually.
Speaker 5: Guys going to Vegas.
Speaker 2: No, okay, exactly, but exactly.
Speaker 5: That sounds legit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're not doing but it's because you it was never an option.
Speaker 5: Well, thanks for letting know.
Speaker 2: We're helping you out because because you can't even make that ask, you choose so bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I gotta put in a lot more time before we get there.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like a different person since you had twins?
Speaker 5: Uh? Not really, and not in a bad or good way. I just don't.
Speaker 6: I just kind of like it's one of those things where the kids come and you're like, all right, now, we got to figure this out and you make your life adjustments and everything comes with it.
Speaker 1: But as far as a different person, no, what did the day feel like when you had the baby?
Speaker 2: It was wild.
Speaker 1: You knew it was twins, by the way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I knew it was twins. And you knew the day, knew the day, knew the time. I knew all that it was a scheduled sea section. The craziest part was they were like, hey, you're gonna hang out here for fifteen minutes while we go get her ready, get your scrubs on, and we'll bring you in and then we'll get going.
Speaker 1: I'm like, all right, coo, what are you so nervous?
Speaker 6: I was more excited than nervous, I think, and I was more nervous for her, because you want to get as nervous.
Speaker 2: But did you know do you know how that sea section works? Like what they do?
Speaker 5: No? And I never dove into it. She did.
Speaker 6: I did not because I didn't want to know them less I knew the better.
Speaker 5: I'm like, no, I'm good and uh. And then they bring me in like all right, ready for you.
Speaker 6: And I come in and I'm expecting, like you know, I walk in and there's you know, doctors getting ready and prepping and cleaning. They're going at it. They are they already started the surgery. They already started the surgery. Yet yeah, they're going at it I thought going up and down.
Speaker 1: I'm like, dude, yeah, you're way happier than we thought you were at it, all right, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I walking in, it's like a movie or a show where I just walk right in. The big old doors swing open, and it's these bright lights and doctors everywhere, and they're just performing on her.
Speaker 5: And one doctor looks at me and he's like, Kevin, you.
Speaker 2: Just keep saying the wrong.
Speaker 6: And then the one doctor looks at me, he's like your dad, Kevin, Like yeah, He's like, come sit over here. So I sat right next to her. She's covered up, you know her, there's like a sheet on her belly basically, so I can't see anything. I could look if I wanted to, absolutely not looking. So I'm right next to her and talking to her. She's holding my hand, you know, she's asking how's it going. I was like, it's going great. I'm asking her how she's doing. She's emotion she's you know, there's a lot of emotions going on, a lot of feelings. She can't obviously can't feel anything they number, but she can feel like certain pressures.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: And then at one point they like tilted her body on it because they had to get into a certain angle and it didn't last more than fifteen minutes.
Speaker 5: And they pulled the first baby out.
Speaker 1: Wow, what do they do when they pulled the parcel out handed to you?
Speaker 5: No, not handed, they toss.
Speaker 1: It to you. Yeah, say no, you're on a sports show, you get so they say go do yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah no.
Speaker 6: They pulled the baby out and then they bring them no her she was first, brought her and showed her us right over the tart basically, and then they were like, oh, this is the girl who is and we're looking at each other. We're like a girl I don't know, Like, well, no, what's her name? And we're like, oh, Penelope. So they had that and then two minutes later he came out, same thing, and they're crying. The babies are crying, and then they're just showing us and then they bring them over to the way station.
Speaker 1: They look like pink or green or anything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're all kinds of different colors. Pink for the most part. I got video I can show you now.
Speaker 2: We're good man, fine, Okay.
Speaker 5: You don't see anything, but it is. It's pretty wild. And they look big too.
Speaker 6: When they come out, and then they bring them over to the way station and you know, clean them up and everything, and I'm talking to her and she's like, you know, she's crying and she's emotional, and they called me over, you want to come see him for the first time, and then I'm like, yeah, of course. I walk over there, and they both weigh exactly five point eight five pounds and eight ounces, which is crazy. All the doctors and nurses in there are like, we've never had this before, twins, Like they're the exact same weight. And then the first time I look at him or her, you know, I start crying for the first time.
Speaker 5: And then they have me take a picture with the weight right behind him, and the baby's just screaming.
Speaker 6: And then I go over to the boy and the same thing, take a picture with him and his weight behind him. And then I go back to my wife and we just start talking and she's you know, we're just talking about how great it is. And then they bring the babies over wrapped up. They let us hold them right away as they're stitching her all up and everything, and twenty minutes later I was out of there, or we're out of there together.
Speaker 1: Golf course.
Speaker 6: That was and then yeah, then we go to a two hour waiting room, recovery room, and then we went up to our room. We were there for three days at the hospital and it was exhausting for sure, especially for her.
Speaker 5: I mean, geez, did you sleep?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where did you sleep?
Speaker 5: On a couch?
Speaker 6: They had a couch, but it was like a foot tom basically like this big old cushion in the back, folded down, and it was actually more comfortable than I thought it would be. And then she was in the bed the whole time. Luckily, they have and this is for any like new dad or parents out there. They have the nurse and the night nurses. So if you liked be like, hey, can you guys take the babies for a few hours and we'll sleep and they'll take them and then they'll bring them back three hours later so you can just sleep.
Speaker 1: What theos they bring them back though?
Speaker 2: Seventy? Pretty good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 5: Never really thought about that.
Speaker 6: It's a good thing I didn't take and so you went home went home. Yeah, I got home three days later. First night was rough. We tried to sleep in our room with them on the side of the bed. Oh man, and they were just you know, they would wake up. They wake up every couple hours and you try to feed them in the bed, but you're falling asleep as you're trying to feed them, and you're just like, this.
Speaker 5: Isn't good because you're gonna roll over on the baby. Maybe.
Speaker 6: So then we figured out after two nights, this isn't gonna work. You know, you're grumpy and you're you know, getting mad at each other because you're grumpy and you're tired.
Speaker 5: And then now we have the old tag team switch Arooo.
Speaker 6: I come in middle of the night, she stays up with them, and she goes up to sleep. So now I come in at two in the morning, and then she goes upstairs to bed, and then before work she was up there till like seven or eight, and then she come back down.
Speaker 5: And then we tackled the day together.
Speaker 1: And is one of them always crying?
Speaker 6: No, honestly, they're pretty good. Like it's still early, so I don't want to get ahead of myself, but the girl's been acting up a little bit the last couple of days.
Speaker 1: She's got a little attitude.
Speaker 7: Boy.
Speaker 5: I was like, I was like, you're gonna give your dad a heart attack.
Speaker 1: Over here she's got a tattoo.
Speaker 6: But they're both pretty dang good and we're we're happy about that. They don't really scream or cry unless I'm changing it or have the clothes off of them and they're really cold, then they just start screaming. This as soon as you put it back on them, they just they get quiet again, and you just feed them again and you put them down and off and rolling.
Speaker 2: Kevin told me that two AM is like, oh man, it's tough, like two AM feeding. Like they get a PlayStation lifesaver what I.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like there's you don't really know there's enough time to do anything.
Speaker 5: Like I've tried to watch the show.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 5: You just don't get in the flow of things, you know.
Speaker 1: I hear. But Eddie used to just get on PlayStation.
Speaker 2: It's like he would hear you can hear the baby crying, like we'd be playing two K and you hear the baby crying in the background in the background.
Speaker 5: He's like, he's.
Speaker 1: Right, God, alright, back, there's two I know.
Speaker 6: So, I mean it takes a little over an hour to feed and to burn them and to change their diapers because there's two of them. So it takes a while.
Speaker 2: Is the feeding going all right? Like, I know that's the stressful time, Like you know, yeah, they're gonna latch? Are they not gonna latch? Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, I mean it's mostly the breast smoke is what they're eating. Sometimes they lie, sometimes they don't. At first they weren't at all, but they're getting better at that and then now they're eating more, so that means they're sleeping a little bit longer, and they're growing and they're healthy. You took them to their first doctor's appointment and everything, and she's like, they look great.
Speaker 5: So that's all you want to hear at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 7: Great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how tired are you right now?
Speaker 5: I'm not that tired, but it's going to hit me for sure. Every day.
Speaker 6: It hits me in the afternoon, like just because it getting up there. I don't know, we always get up early, but even that much earlier your body just needs to adjust. And I'm only a week and a half in or so, so it.
Speaker 5: Hits me in the afternoon. That's why I take my nap.
Speaker 1: Did you ever feel overwhelmed? M If the answer is the answer is no, no, because that's usually oh god, yeah, immediately.
Speaker 6: No, even my dad and Alex, my wife. She was like when I was changing diapers and swaddling them in the hospital because she couldn't do anything for like first two days. She was just in bed recovering, and I was just watching the nurses, which wild is the nurses like they know what they're doing obviously, but they throw these babies around and they like, you know.
Speaker 5: What I mean.
Speaker 6: So I'm like, all right, well they're doing it, then I do.
Speaker 1: So with twins though, like, do you haven'tenough diapers?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we had to buy a lot more. After three four days, I think.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're low now, okay we were, Yeah, we were low.
Speaker 6: Now we got I think six or seven new bags of ninety something. You go through so many because sometimes you go through three and one changing. It's just they keep going and they keep going. Oh the best though, staying out of the line of the fire. The boy, you know, because once he starts peeing.
Speaker 2: You got you're gonna learn to put a wipe on it.
Speaker 6: But the first time he was laying there and her dog was sitting in right like near his head, and she's got a little little, tiny dog, and he starts peeing and it nails a dog. Right, We're just trying to tell the dog. So we learned quickly. Luckily he got the front of it.
Speaker 1: But uh, do you have your role yet?
Speaker 5: Yeah? My role is to be the male figure.
Speaker 6: And this is what I've learned over the last couple of weeks is like, as a female, they are much better at nurturing, you know, than we are as males. We want to like play with them and I don't know, do like stuff with them, but all they need right now is just nurturing, just literally holding, feeding, changing and all that stuff, which I do. But the grandma's I mean, they could sit there for three hours with the baby in their hand, like I'm like.
Speaker 5: All right cool.
Speaker 6: So for me, I've known my role as a male to be more of like whatever you need, you know, I'm changing, I'm feeding, I'm cooking dinner, I'm cooking breakfast, whatever it might be. While the females love that nurturing role, so I've just kind of let them also take that and just kind of go in whenever I need it.
Speaker 1: But they're leaving too, the family members, so it's about to get a little more real.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Luckily one staying still, but it's she's.
Speaker 6: Still got like another she's got a place here now, so she's kind.
Speaker 1: Of come.
Speaker 2: Until they go to college.
Speaker 6: The best is of my dad there is just like you know, he's just typical like Grandpa.
Speaker 5: He's like used to hold him but like I'm not changing a typer or nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, congratulations, buddy, thank you.
Speaker 2: I think what was cool too, is like they look like you. So I was a little worried about of.
Speaker 1: Course they're bald or babies.
Speaker 6: What do you expect He's got more hair than I we.
Speaker 1: I was talking to Matt Castle, who we do a different podcast together called Lots to Say in both of us, and I totally eliminated Kevin from even communicating with him because even in a text of the group text, it was like, hey, we didn't respond.
Speaker 5: I know, it's like, dang.
Speaker 1: We we decided we are not even messaging Kevin even back unless he's like, can you help me my kid? Is I'm falling? If it wasn't that, we weren't messaging back because we wanted nothing to be in his world in this periphery at all about work. That's nice of you guys and so, but even you know this show. I emailed him finally on like what's Thursday, On like Tuesday night, I was like, hey, you're back yet, But when you're back here because he sent me some stuff before he left, I said, here's the things, but don't even look at this email until then. So I told you before you left, don't even think about work because you wanted to still think about work. Do you think you could have thought about work?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, okay, you might. You could probably relate to this too. Some might struggle with at the beginning. For sure, is like when you're gone, like you almost feel I know this, this is not a healthy thing. But you're like, well what if I'm gone for two weeks? And like the podcast as well, and then like they're like, you know what, Kevin, we don't even need you. Yeah you know, And I literally I literally had a dream like that where the rating has been better than ever exactly.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to tell you, but then.
Speaker 6: That starts going through your head and I'm like, no, I gotta get back, I gotta get back. But after a few days and everything, I was fine. I was also locked out of my work email, which helped I wasn't even allowed to sign in.
Speaker 5: They kicked me out. No way, I did not know.
Speaker 6: I hard did that and I couldn't even So was the email I sent you to your work email?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I didn't even see it until I could get back here.
Speaker 1: Perfect because I wrote on there, do not look at this until it's time to get back into email.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's great.
Speaker 1: I get locked up because I said that because I do run the company, the whole company, when I wrote it in the email, you can look at this until it's time to be over. Huh.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I didn't know that was a thing until like two days in and I was like, wait, I can't sign and then all of a sudden I realized, so I can't get into anything.
Speaker 1: Did you happen to watch the Brett farbre documentary while.
Speaker 5: You're yes, have you guys seen it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh have you talked about it or anything?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We talked about it, talking about it freely, and uh.
Speaker 6: It made me, I mean, like so many others, he was a hero of mine, you know, growing up, especially when nineties baby and my first suit ball remember is actually them whooping on the Patriots.
Speaker 5: But Brett Faarr was awesome. Great to watch.
Speaker 6: He got a little sour with me when he started doing the whole retire unretired, kind of like Roger's thing.
Speaker 5: But I still love the guy. I loved him as a quarterback.
Speaker 6: And then you always hear you know, he's not the best person in This whole scandal came out a few years ago and then I watched this and I'm like, dude, this guy is awful, awful and like it put. I told my wife and I was like, this is somebody I looked up to my whole life, and like, I can't stand now he's a hero of mine and now that entire like legacy that I had built in my head and took me a while to even get there. Pretty much the whole documentary, I finally realized, you know what, actually, don't you should.
Speaker 5: Not like this guy?
Speaker 1: Com scombag, Yeah like that.
Speaker 2: Did you know that he never met the girl that was wild? That was wild to me too, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I would have thought they had met and flirted or he liked it was like, oh, I like that, and then tracked her number down because he met her, And then it was a disgusting pick not that he had never.
Speaker 5: Ye like he interviewed him or I don't know.
Speaker 1: That was his introduction to her, Like here's it makes you wonder how many other people he did that too, Yeah, because I'm sure that wasn't the first time. Yeah, and just based off how humans work, I'm sure he's like, no, I have this great idea, but for the first time ever, for this one girl, here's a picture on my penists, idea, try it.
Speaker 6: And he's so dumb, like the text messages and the voicemails, and I'm like, you're such an idiot too, Like that's when you know you're just arrogant and you think the world revolves.
Speaker 2: That's the theme, right, that's the theme of the documentary of just like when you're in that position you're a god and you can do no wrong, and you you act like that. You see.
Speaker 1: Sean Camp's in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, Yeah, he's he's waiting to be sentenced. I mean, he's convicted.
Speaker 1: He pleaded guilty to two men sitting in a car shooting at the two men sitting in a car in a parking lot.
Speaker 2: Was heard didn't know much about it, but the way the story goes is that his truck got robbed and they stole all kinds of things, jerseys, signed jerseys, just things that he had in his truck, including his cell phone, which he was able to track. So he tracked the phone. It led him to a car that was parked at the mall. There's two dudes in it there they are the thieves, and he says he pulls up and somebody in the backseat of that car shoots at them first, and then Sean Kemp returns fire.
Speaker 1: Any video evidence to support that claim, because I feel like if there was, he wouldn't have pleaded guilty.
Speaker 2: I think he's putting guilty to taking the shots. He's saying, I had a gun and I did shoot at them, but they shot at me first.
Speaker 1: But if they shoot first, isn't it self defense after that? Yeah, unless you're not supposed to have the gun, right, And I don't think he's a fellon, so he could have a gun if he's not a fellon. He'll be sentenced in August.
Speaker 2: And that's crazy too to me, like that, your your cases done, You've already played it guilty, and now you've got to just sit and wait for a whole month to see how long you're gonna be in prison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, different different trial times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, imagine what goes through your head.
Speaker 1: One other thing, real quick. Memorial Day weekend was us last weekend and Eddie's coaching and watch the six year olds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my son's a basketball team.
Speaker 1: Yeah ye old yeah, I didn't know you had practiced our memoriald at weekend.
Speaker 2: Look, dude, I came on here and said, I said, like, you know, I don't. We're probably not gonna win whatever. They're six year olds, no big deal. I've seen my roster.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We have ten kids on the team. I would say eight of them are ballers. Two of them are just young. They'll be good eventually, but they right now, they just don't have the basic skills of basketball. They will be good because they're athletic. After meeting my team, I'm convinced that we're going to win the whole thing. So I don't care of its Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 1: There's six fourth of July. Families can't have to drive them there. Yeah, I called a practice. I know that's the dumbest thing.
Speaker 2: Because we practice on Sundays and it doesn't matter if it's Memorial Day weekend. I called a practice on Sunday and four kids showed up and I'm like, you guys are my four starters? It was and one dad he pulls that. He came out a little lady's like, you know, man, I was surprised that you was like, wanted to do a practice on Sunday light. We want to win, don't we.
Speaker 1: He was like, like, I feel you and I understand your sentiment completely. If there were sixteen or seventeen six no, no, no, I know if there were sixteen or seventy because I could drive themselves and their whole family doesn't have to not have vacation or have to change their plans to bring their kids.
Speaker 2: There is one family that has to drive an hour and a half.
Speaker 9: They show up, they were there startry practice or the starter, and their kid is awesome.
Speaker 2: We're all that why he's awesome.
Speaker 1: But we're all four of the kids that showed up awesome.
Speaker 2: There's one that he.
Speaker 1: Gets to start into.
Speaker 2: He started that.
Speaker 1: I don't think he analyzed kids who couldn't come on Royal Day because their parents already had plans to go to town.
Speaker 2: I gonna take it seriously. I won't take the starting lineup serious.
Speaker 1: Tell them there is nobody more unhealthily competitive than me. And even I'm like, there's six and it's a holiday weekend.
Speaker 2: You know, like before and after practice or even before the games, like we have a little huddle in Little pow Wow, and most most of the time the parents don't come to the power. I can literally just talk to the kids about anything we talk about, like what did you do this weekend? What's your favorite food? Like introduce yourself to the players whatever. I might talk to me and be like, how important do you want this? But they're six, and then I want to.
Speaker 9: Tell them too, like if you even know what the word important means, right, I have to spell it out for them. Yeah, but I want to tell them too, like tell your parents how much you love this game, tell your parents how much you want to be a practice, tell your parents that you don't want to be late to practice.
Speaker 2: Boom, you're in charge. I'm gonna tell the kids you're in charge of your destiny.
Speaker 1: But that's not true. They're six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, say you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: They still pee the bed for the most part.
Speaker 7: Right, you're right it, But I.
Speaker 1: Don't love it cause I think there's a line. But you got to build that.
Speaker 2: Oh, whoa, whoa, you're a new dad. What do you?
Speaker 7: What do you?
Speaker 2: What do you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I probably would have purposely not gone to practice, absolutely just to be like, this guy really wants to do this on the Memorial weekend.
Speaker 1: They're the first grader.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again I'm unhealthy and I STI would have been like their first grader, what the heck's happening here?
Speaker 2: You wouldn't You wouldn't hold a practice.
Speaker 1: I would have called a voluntary voluntary shoot around for anybody on the team that wants to come.
Speaker 5: That's a that's a good goal.
Speaker 2: I mean I was already banking on that. If like only two kids showed up, we're.
Speaker 1: Not making That's what I would say. If you have a voluntary shoot around for anybody that still wants to come, We're going to have a voluntary practice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you guys aren't traveling this weekend, coming out, get some shots in.
Speaker 2: No, I did say if you're available, No, you had a practice, You didnt And.
Speaker 5: You wanted to see their commitment.
Speaker 1: Yes, they got for not coming. We're done.
Speaker 2: You watch, We're gonna win the whole thing. Dude, with these four players.
Speaker 1: You watch with these four players, the commuted startups. That's the one at all, because they didn't come. Only four. You show up, only four. You play it where you guys. Have a great weekend. We will see you Monday. Kevin, congratulations, Thank you, Eddie, Brandon Ready to head off.
Speaker 2: Let's go have.
Speaker 5: Fun boys, do you want to go?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No? No?
Speaker 6: I bring the twins, Yeah, bring them on, yeah, I should huh ye, get them started early.
Speaker 1: All right, we're out. Blow the whistle. We'll see you guys by Buddy. Theme song written by Bobby Bones, That's Me and performed by Brandon Ray. Follow Brandon on socials at Brandon Ray Music. You can follow the show on Instagram at Bobby Bones Sports. Thanks to our crew co host at producer Eddie, segment producer at Kickoff, Kevin, video producer at Redrberry, and executive producer at Mike Distro. But most importantly, thank you for listening. Bobby Bones. We'll talk to you next time here on twenty five whistles