Speaker 1: I cannot wait to read comments after today's brand new episode.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to your second Day podcast.
Speaker 1: It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning, and it's Tuesday, which means you're getting a real awkward Tuesday phone call today.
Speaker 2: But first, what do we have In the comment section?
Speaker 1: Elle Heath said, Dudes, I'm back after over six months of not listening because I got to listen to all.
Speaker 2: Of them since twenty twenty two and I needed more than one a day.
Speaker 3: Ye, Hey, I'm back. You're back.
Speaker 2: You got a lot to catch you waiting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get to attached because you're gonna be attached.
Speaker 2: To our hair for like three months and you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Go be gone again.
Speaker 2: It is a cyclical.
Speaker 3: It's a game of yo yo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's okay to stay. Came here, I'll hold you. They're not going to hear this for six months. Yeah, I'm sorry. All right, your brand new episode stars right now.
Speaker 3: Mom groups are notoriously super kind to each other. They never talk behind each other's backs. They don't weaponize politeness, nope, and if an issue ever arises, they always handle it by talking it out respectfully, totally politely. Right, Brooke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bless her heart.
Speaker 3: It's weird because today we are from a dad who has been nominated as the spokesperson by all the ticked off moms and his wife's friend group. Uh oh, and his mission is easy. Just confront another mom about her kid's birthday party. Could go wrong. It's your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 4: Next, it's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 4: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: Now. Back in the day, And when I say back in the day, I mean like twenty five to thirty years ago, kids were still having birthday parties at McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes, yeah, on the playgrounds.
Speaker 3: The playplaces, you could spend twenty five bucks on a giant platter of cheeseburgers and fries, and then Grimace would bring out a cake and sit on it in front of everybody, and I'll go, yeah, who wants to live? But my, oh my, how times have changed because parties for kids nowadays are big business.
Speaker 1: It's seriously like, I go to some of these of my kids, I'm like, how many impersonators do you guys need at one place?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's already Ariel here. Do we need the entire Disney Princess crew.
Speaker 3: It's hard to meet parents that love their children more than you do. I get that, but it has caused a situation for one of our listeners who's come to us seeking our advice. His name is Kenny, So, Kenny, Welcome to the show Man.
Speaker 4: Hi, Hi, Kenny.
Speaker 2: We're good. I'm curious to hear. What's going on? Is this with your own kids?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, well for starters, I really love you guys, listen every day.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you were going to start with I really love my kids, but.
Speaker 3: We'll take the praise first. Yes, absolutely, what's going on right? We hear you have some birthday party drama? Tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so my kids six and seven were invited to a birthday party, and know I'm thinking, hey, this is pretty cool. It's great for the parents to get to know each other, and it's in the community and everything perfect.
Speaker 2: Oh and it's so nice that you have kids so close in age.
Speaker 1: I mean, it probably was a pain when they were a baby, but now you can send them to parties together all over the.
Speaker 3: Plato for one, yes, Brooks looking as a bargains a business woman.
Speaker 2: My kids are three years different, so it's a little bit.
Speaker 3: You know, you can't question yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, here's the thing, So the marvel did the invite only matter about twice. She's friendly with my wife and everything, but she sent a really interesting invite for a six year old party. Interestingly, well, it had all the details, you know, bouncy house, popcorn, fun and games and all of that jazz. But at the very bottom of the invite it said, if you plan to sing your child, please send with money for tip bucket to go toward party expenses and food and games and things of that nature.
Speaker 3: It's asking to bring cash with your kid.
Speaker 2: Wait, is there an entertainer or are they tipping the parrot?
Speaker 4: It's unclear. It just says cash tips.
Speaker 2: That's weird.
Speaker 3: Huh. Yeah, I don't go to kids parties, but I feel like I see the logic behind it. Brook. You're immediately jumping on it's weird. Do you think it's tacky to ask a guest to bring tips or are we at the point in society where it's okay for tipping to be involved in everything. Culture is getting out of control.
Speaker 2: There are so many different ways you can have a kid's party. You can do them.
Speaker 1: Literally, the cheapest end and the kids are happy. If you can't afford to throw these elaborate parties, then that's fine, don't The kids don't care.
Speaker 3: But they might be happier if the party costs more money.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. They might not have children work.
Speaker 1: Usually if you give them a present, it's the box they're more excited about.
Speaker 2: It's not a lie.
Speaker 3: What was your reading your your wife's read on it?
Speaker 4: Kenny? Well, my wife she doesn't like it, but she doesn't want to be confrontational. So I've been charged with being a guide to say something to her about this because here's the Yeah, here's the reality.
Speaker 1: Your wife wants you to call the mom that is throwing this party and ask her about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought that she was the one who was friends with her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but my wife she's really easygoing and she doesn't like anything confrontational at all. So my thought process is honestly to reach out to you guys, because I can't do that by myself.
Speaker 3: Okay, So your wife has asked you to do it. Does she know that you've come to us seeking help?
Speaker 4: No she doesn't.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, behind.
Speaker 1: Your wife's dead, do you know what your wife wants out of this phone call.
Speaker 4: Well, number one, she wants to remain friends with her, because all of these moms are friends in this frame thing that they have. And number two, I feel like I need to tell this lady about this whole tipping thing because none of the other moms are going to be comfortable with this, you know, sitting their kids with money.
Speaker 1: Honorary Mom group spokesperson, Yeah, yeah, have we considered who we're calling?
Speaker 4: Can we just call the kid?
Speaker 3: I can tell your mom that we're not bringing.
Speaker 2: This the almost six year old.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So do you know the mom's name?
Speaker 4: We call her Tosh. I call her Tosh, we call her, but her full name is Natasha.
Speaker 3: Okay, And the good news is moms love it when a man tells them what they're doing wrong with their parenting. That always goes well.
Speaker 4: So well yeah, well you know, honestly, that's why I called you guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll take the blame if it goes badly.
Speaker 2: Hey, should we call it other show? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe ye. Let's keep passing it on. Well, we'll see if we can come with some advice before we come back. Let you call this other mom Tosh and tell her maybe don't ask all the parents to tip her kid's birthday, because if that's the case, there could be no kids coming at all. Yes, let's see how that message goes with your awkward Tuesday phone call right after that, it's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 4: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: If you're just joining us. We talked about birthday parties and how much they've changed over the years, but this is a new wrinkle we really haven't seen yet. Because a birthday invitation came in for our listener, Kenny's kids. It seemed like overall a normal house party sort of deal, but at the very bottom of the invite it said send a cash tip along with your child. Huh yeah, for party expenses.
Speaker 4: And you know, at.
Speaker 1: First I was like, oh, rude, But now I'm like, oh, maybe I should start doing this.
Speaker 3: I just kidd I get it. When Kenny saw it, he thought it was strange. His wife was definitely bothered. Yeah, and she talked to a bunch of the other moms. They all seem to be upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't even want to send their kids if that's.
Speaker 3: The case, which is why they've nominated Kenny as their sacrificial Lamb chosen to make a phone call to this other mom saying, if you don't rescind the tipping requests, there may end up being no kids at this party at the end.
Speaker 4: Of the day.
Speaker 2: I got to say it that way.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna strongly imply it. Yeah, that her child will be very, very hurt by this. So it's interesting. I've never heard about a situation like this before, so I can't wait to get some advice for you, Kenny Brook. What do you think?
Speaker 1: At first, I was like, oh my god, I can't believe they're making you do it, And then I realized you're the perfect.
Speaker 2: Person for this call. Kenny.
Speaker 3: Why yes, because you're the one that can play the dumb dad card.
Speaker 1: You know, they didn't see the invite, they didn't get the email, they didn't know anything. And he happened to overhear some other moms saying something about a tip.
Speaker 2: So you're just calling the source to figure it out since you have to do the drop off.
Speaker 1: You're confused, you know, get more info, you hear me, Kenny, Okay, yes, and you're giving her a little inside that the moms are talking behind.
Speaker 3: Her back, all right, Kenny. So you're gonna be the dad that doesn't really pay attention to his own children. Yes, can you pull that off? Jeff's got it?
Speaker 2: What man can't?
Speaker 3: Can you be yourself?
Speaker 4: Ken? I can absolutely do that.
Speaker 3: All right? The stupidity coming through already. What about you, Jose, what do you think? All right, here's a strategy that might help get you what you want. You need to ask how much is she looking for as a tip?
Speaker 2: Like from each family?
Speaker 3: Then you say, oh wow, that's a lot. Okay, uh, I think we can do it. We may just have to take it out of their college.
Speaker 2: Fund, but oh, that's doable for our family. Guilt her? What the number is so poor? You can't afford the five dollar tip?
Speaker 3: I think it's a bold strategy. What do you think about trying the guilt method? Just a little bit, Ken.
Speaker 4: That can work too, Okay, actually a little better?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yay, fine, the only mother in the room. But young Head's so true, I don't even.
Speaker 3: Have fine, you know what? I like this. All the men are sticking together, all those dumb idiots that don't know what the heck is going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guarantee you did not read the invite.
Speaker 3: I don't know if any of that advice actually helps you, Kenny. But it's the best we got. So we're gonna dial this other mom. Natasha will step away and let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call. Are you ready?
Speaker 4: Okay? Well, this kind of feels like the Titanic when it was being launched, but it's a fan fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got one lifeboat and the captain men first.
Speaker 3: Here we go different.
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 5: Hello, Hi, dumb.
Speaker 4: Guy, Hi Tush? Who? Yes it is This is Hey Josh. This is Kenny. How are you Kenny? Who? Yeah, Kenny, your lundest husband. You invited our kids to the birthday party that you're having for your son.
Speaker 5: Okay, what can I help you with?
Speaker 4: Oh? Well, great, Toosh? Are you? Are you having a good day? How's it going?
Speaker 5: My banking is going fine? What's the raising for this car? I'm sorry, I'm just a little confusers to why you're calling me.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is nothing major, you know. It's actually given a call about the invite that you sent over, really really great invite. Actually you're gonna have the bouncy house for isn't everything?
Speaker 5: Okay? If you call in to ask about if you could drop your kids off, that's fine, just drop them off. You can pick them up a few hours later. That's cool.
Speaker 4: Oh well, that adds another layer to this. I really don't drop my kids off and leave them. But that's not why I was calling. So that's just given a call about the line and the invite about the tip bucket.
Speaker 5: What did you say about the way about the tip bucket? There's no damn tip bucket, they're just tits.
Speaker 4: Well, well that's the thing. You know, how much of a tip were you expecting six and seven year olds to bring?
Speaker 5: Oh well, you're the parent, they're not bringing it.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 5: You're not leaving your kids from what you just told me, So okay.
Speaker 4: So how much you're thinking for this tip jar thing situation?
Speaker 5: Don't you think that's kind of rude to ask, like, I mean, what do you think is a good tip? When you go somewhere and get a service?
Speaker 4: What do you tip? Oh? Well, I I never knew of a birthday party to be a service. But you know, it's just I'm just asking, did you think is to be looking at what five bucks here?
Speaker 5: I mean, you could put five hours in there. But you're talking like you're the brokie, like you're the tap.
Speaker 4: Mom, Well, we're not broken at all. I actually have a pretty good job and my wife.
Speaker 5: I can't tell about the way you're calling is and we've been talking about a ship for five minutes. I cannot tell.
Speaker 4: Well, well, you know, this is starting to get a little stressful and the awkward. You're stressing yourself.
Speaker 5: Out, stressing yourself out, can't he be? Could you call me about the take?
Speaker 4: You're right, you're right. How about I just meimo? You you know, like forty five fifty bucks? How does that sound?
Speaker 5: That's the best offer. We can't go a little higher? Since you that's the best you got.
Speaker 3: How are we doing this right?
Speaker 4: Right? Higher? I guess I could.
Speaker 2: Get that phone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tasha, Natasha, are you hearing us?
Speaker 5: Yes? Who else is on the phone?
Speaker 3: We're a radio show. We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning. Oh, Kenny's a listener, a.
Speaker 5: Broke listener at that.
Speaker 2: He just offered to give you fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty generous in our eyes. But Kenny has come to us seeking a little bit of advice because he told us the whole situation with the birthday invite, and there was a little bit confusion. Obviously, on Kenny's end with the tipping part.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, yeah, I heard what was going on. Clearly he has an issue with tipping at my kid's party.
Speaker 2: Can I ask what is the tip for? I don't understand.
Speaker 5: So we're going to have service. You know, their kids are going to be served at things like that, so they could just leave a tip for the cyberg. I'm literally paying for everything. This is a really high end type of party.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're actually hiring people to be boxes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's bigger than the things I don't know, a little mediocre birthday party, but we do it.
Speaker 2: Well, I do it cheap and free. That's kind of the route I typically.
Speaker 3: Take us to her kids' birthday parties.
Speaker 5: My kids don't maybe once you ki party, y'all step, y'all game up.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't you think it's just a little odd?
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to a birthday party where they're asking for tips and to cover expenses.
Speaker 3: She's not judging you by saying that, she's just offering that as a possibility.
Speaker 5: I'm feeling good. I'm feeling good.
Speaker 4: We're no.
Speaker 1: I just think like it's a little off putting, probably to a lot of families to be asked to pay to attend a birthday party.
Speaker 5: Well, guess what, it's a little off putting to call the damn radio stations, top about it. If it was that, he guess what he could have did. He could have just not bring his kid if it was that big of a deal.
Speaker 3: Wait, they want to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they don't bring it, timph, they're not going to be allowed to the party.
Speaker 5: I didn't say that. I said if it was that deep for him to call the radio, then he didn't even have to worry about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we're really making any progress here. And Kenny, we haven't heard from you in a while. We're running a little bit short on time. Where is your head at?
Speaker 4: My head is at probably about seventy four ninety nine. That's as high as algo.
Speaker 3: What you keep offering more money?
Speaker 5: So you bring a gift with that seventy five dollars to gift to Kenny.
Speaker 3: You got yourself into quite a problem.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I don't think it's a problem anymore. Drums done.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, he is right. Yeah, just wait until you have to make that phone call to your wife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll be here for that. Awkward Tuesday too. Wait a week and let us do it.
Speaker 2: Good luck, Kenny, it's woking free in the morning.
Speaker 3: This just in I have fired my radio agent and have hired Natasha to negotiate my next radio contract for him.
Speaker 2: That is actually a genius. Can't say no to her.
Speaker 3: Somehow she got Kenny to go from I think tipping at a kid's party is tacky and gross too. I'm venoing her seventy five dollars and a gift right now.
Speaker 2: She didn't even even ask for more money. He just interjected with this is the highest I could go.
Speaker 3: That's the power of Natasha.
Speaker 4: I'm speaking after.
Speaker 3: Do you think he kept going higher because he like felt he had to compensate for being called like broke?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Oh yeah, maybe dide. I guarantee he's paying one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 1: Five bucks by the time when birthday party rolls around, Jaxon.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's just paying for the birthday party. Maybe at this point.
Speaker 3: Seriously, And I wasn't joking when I said I have a feeling he's going to be back next week to tell his wife. Hey, I'm sorry, honey. I just sent Natasha two grand and I gave her my car.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm just hoping they have separate accounts and she wife never knows someone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just doesn't want drama, but we love it. If you ever have issues arising in your personal life, anything dramatic, email the show. We can give you our advice. Go check out all of our Awkward Tuesday phone calls. By the way, they're up online wherever you find your podcast at Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning