Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Tom Keane, along with Jonathan Farrow and Lisa Abramowitz. Join us each day for insight from the best an economics, geopolitics, finance and investment. Subscribe to Bloomberg Surveillance on demand on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts, and always on Bloomberg dot Com, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business App. We're started to bring you. The chairman of Evercore, Isi at Heimann joins us for a midyear update. I wanted a little history at John's got like six serious questions. I'm calling the October Bottom, the Ralphankopora, Edward Yard Denny Bottom. Many other people were out there as optimistic, but Edyard Denny absolutely nailed the bottom. You basically gave him his job. You were at CJ. Lawrence a million years ago. I read your research worshipfully, and you went out the door to set up your own shop, and Yard Denny replaced you. Is that true?
Speaker 2: So I had to deal with my boss then, Jim Molt, who ran the firm, that I wouldn't leave until we've got a replacement. And so Jim came in and said, Ed you can leave.
Speaker 1: I said, oh, the imbred optimism that Ed Heyman has an ed Yard Denny has. What does the gloom crew get wrong here about the need to understand America will persevere?
Speaker 2: So I think we're going to have a recession. And I follow ed Yard any closely and I just read his piece over the weekend where he's doesn't have a recession. And I've been through this more time than anybody on your show. The He'll curve works, and the you'll curve is really inverted, and then if that doesn't do it, you have a contraction and the money supply the most since the nineteen thirties, and then you have a significant recent rates plus QT and so Mike Tyson could get you with any one of those much less. It's got three shots.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: I just have to add that.
Speaker 3: From when the.
Speaker 2: Yell curve inverts, it can take eighteen months for the economy to go into recession, and just before it goes into recession it looks great. It's a very humbling business. And Tom, I got to say, I have not been forecasting a recession for the past year. I fought last year the two down quarters like crazy and I have the third quarter down, which seems too aggressive, but I'm pretty flexible, but I'm sure it's coming.
Speaker 3: Does this have a preweight feel to it in that regard.
Speaker 2: Not really just except for the yell curve, but that the wait my ment specifically, well for sure on that, and it's playing out pretty much like that. But you don't have the housing bubble, you don't have something that would cause a severe recession like we had in eight or nine.
Speaker 3: Where are you on the inflation backdrop at the moment? We had a guest in the Lost down rows So who suggested that inflation expectations are bottominc botsomic for the cycle, that ultimately inflation is going to be sticky and a recession won't address it.
Speaker 2: So I'm on the other side big time. So I just looked before I came over here at gasoline prices, which have a big influence on inflation expectations. Inflation expectations have come down significantly, but they also are influenced by gasoline prices, and the futures have gasoline prices going down another ten cents in the next six weeks, not a big move, but not up twenty cents, and gasoline prices where they were fifteen years ago. So inflation is coming down around the world. They just reported this morning the PPI for the Eurozone was now in deflation minus one and a half percent, which you reported, and then last week the Spain CPI went below two percent for the first time. So I try and connect the dots the best I can, and it looks to me as though inflation is really going down. And with that policy backdrop I mentioned, it's going to keep going down.
Speaker 3: We let's build on that. So we've got you on growth, got you on inflation, build on the policy backdrop. Most people anticipating now the FED goes again this month, right, maybe goes again after that. Where are you doing the scene now?
Speaker 2: So Chrishna Guha does our FED work. He has one more and done, and so that's what I would follow. At this point, the one more is baked in the cake. I think anything from now is a mistake. They're just creating a deeper recession or the more likelihood of a recession. But at you know, five and at quarter, with the bonyle at three eighty, they're pretty much done and inflation slowing. The FED height rates in March of twenty twenty two, and at that point inflation had already gone crazy, and they were still doing the transitory and then they were still doing Q. They're still doing Q and so, and as I can tell, by the time they by the time they cut rates, inflation will be so far down it'll make them look a little wrong.
Speaker 1: Forted together, in the years, you've been considered for a FED president, certainly as a FED governor as well. And what did this FED get wrong? Was it too much communication? Were we advantaged with the silence of green spin.
Speaker 2: I think it's very difficult to have three hundred PhDs make a forecast, not buttering you up town. But I'd rather have you make that forecast than three hundred PhDs.
Speaker 1: Mike said, I can't do Mike walked in one day. So Tom, I don't need any forecasts on air continue.
Speaker 2: And so I think it's it's just part of the stickiness of the decision making.
Speaker 1: It's by committee.
Speaker 2: It's by committee. And I also tend to try and always go where the puck is going to put it in your terms, and boy, the evidence, the evidence that things are slowing on inflation is really pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: We're going to have you back but you hired Gretzky. How's Julian Emmanuel doing to me? Like his his weekly note during earning season is the most valuable thing that comes over the transom. And what I want to say is this guy captured the equity market left maybe not all tech tech. He didn't tell you to buy him Vidio. But is Julian Emanuel doing okay? Over at the show doing great?
Speaker 2: So we have an open office, I learned from Mike Bloomberg. So I have a desk, and I have Rich Ross, and then I have Julian Emmanuel. And where within I wouldn't say shouting distance with her? In talking distance?
Speaker 1: Is he talking about a second leg of the bullmarket? Like Edheiman nailed? Got to be quick here, but second leg of the bullmarket?
Speaker 2: All of a sudden he cautious, cautiously, up, very cautiously.
Speaker 3: They separate Tom and in the office you know that I didn't know, so that we're not allowed to sit next to each other at Hymen.
Speaker 1: I want you to talk about the hallmark of your work back to CJ. Lawrence, And that's the granularity of studying data. Does the granularity of freight rates? This that the green spanning and data study still work in a modern high tech age.
Speaker 2: Or it's even better. Why because there is so much high quality data now, you know, generated by a computer. And so I really think that my success in studying the economy and forecasting comes from being more granular. So the FED seems to look at one data point that comes out like the super core, and I've looked at maybe twenty at that point, and like what Michael was talking about on the employment number, there's a lot of data points and they're generally pretty darn strong for employment. So we're estimating two twenty Alan Zentner, I think is terrific. But I don't see that sub one hundred number or a really low number in the data that we get so far, like unemployment claims or we servey employment agencies once a week.
Speaker 1: I look at the data, and I mean the hallmark here across the decades is we used to aggregate off the revolution of nineteen forty seven, the way we bring in macrodata. Do you, what, ever, core ISI still aggregate or are you partitioning out now for different quintiles, death siles or John Edwards to Americas? Can you aggregate still? Yes?
Speaker 2: But you have to take into account the different pieces, and right now the manufacturing sector is pretty weak maybe inner session, and many other parts of the economy are doing quite well. Services like over the holiday July fourth, and you also have home buildings now actually coming back. It's been very strong and has accelerated in the past couple of months.
Speaker 1: Right you took a kufel Annuncer slide rule from Texas to MIT. I don't know if you study was solo there after fifty seven productivity, but explain the evercore ISI view on America's productivity given the new technology over there. You're an optimist or not.
Speaker 2: I'm an optimist, but it's not in the numbers. One of the phrases is proctivity is everywhere but in the numbers. But you know, what you do has enormous proctivity, and what I do, frankly has enormous proctivity. But it's but you're not getting it period right now in the numbers and plumbent's good, but the economy is still slowing.
Speaker 1: I think, what do you think about the Frenzy Gloom Crew, particularly they come out every Friday. Friday seems to you know, you're published for the weekend and that. But the I mean we've always worried back. I mean think of eighty seven or the August of nineteen ninety eight. The worry, the angst has always been there, but there seems to be a different character to have gloomed. How do you respond to that?
Speaker 2: So the forecast for recession was virtually unanimous a few months ago, and now there are many people going to a non recession forecast. I am the most parish I've ever been on the economy without being in a recession. It's because of the yell curve, the contraction of money and QT at the same time they're hiking rates.
Speaker 1: That three.
Speaker 2: Blow hit to the economy is going to cause recession, but it doesn't happen overnight.
Speaker 1: So can you own stocks given the statement you just made that you're the most gloomy you've ever are you all in cash or can you own ebodies and participate?
Speaker 2: So I mentioned I think three times now the six oh seven going into eight, and the S and P went up twenty and peaked like two months before the Great Recession hit. Boys, it tough, and so right now I think the economy is doing well and the stock markets going up the technicals are good, and so I think we'll keep going up until it looks like we're about to hit the recession. And that's not today.
Speaker 1: I got two minutes left. You're the only one who hasn't moved to Florida. You are part of the New York City fabric. Explain how you view the future of this great city.
Speaker 2: It's very tough because so many people are moving to Florida, but this city is so vibrant just being here with you, which I know you love the city and all the institutions in.
Speaker 1: Never bet against New York. That's the only reason I got this job. That the mayor at the time, he said, you're hired.
Speaker 2: Anyway, as long as Mike Bloomberger is here. I think we're here.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do we do with the FED? One final question? What's the fed Aedheimen FED strategy here forward?
Speaker 2: So they're gonna hike one more and then they're done.
Speaker 1: When did they cut? Uh? Probably?
Speaker 2: You know, I think towards the end of this year, but maybe early next year. But I can I can look down the street, I can't see around the corner, but when I get to the corner, you'll have a much better idea.
Speaker 1: Just a smoke from Canada. That's why I can't see Ed Hyman. Thank you so much. I know you've got a run here. He is with evercore Isi and truly iconic on the street today. In your equity belief, we're going to bring it over to the fixed in comes to face. Thomssorus Jones has not had a fixed income research at stigas it is a bird company. You have the huge advantage Tom of working with one Jay Trennert, who does beautiful quality stock free cash flow persistency of profit analysis, did it with Adheimen and will join us here later. You guys own the high ground on the linkage of equity analysis into your bond analysis. What does your bond analysis say about a second leg of a bull market?
Speaker 4: Ah, highly unlikely. And with that said, we recognize that the equity market seems to disagree with that hypothesis. But when we look at that inverted yield curve, what we see is a market an economy which has is already facing excessive tightening from the Federal reserve. That is, the Federal Reserve is already tightened to the point where Main Street is feeling the pinch. But When you see, as you mentioned earlier, financial conditions easing, what you also see is a financial market where the FED has not tightened enough on Wall Street. So one of the ways we phrase this is, when you use the FED funds rate to tighten, you put most of the pain on Main Street. When you use the balance sheet to tighten, you put most of the pain on Wall Street. The FED has not tightened enough on Wall Street. By using the balance sheet to reduce liquidity in the financial system, they've already tightened excessively on Main Street. So a recession still seems inevitable to us in the second half of the year, and that has got to impact earnings on the equity side.
Speaker 1: As a thermometer, I'm gonna look at the inflation adjusted ten year yield. There's other metrics as well that are sophisticate lesi source uses, but I'm gonna look at the ten year real yield at one point five to eight up percent, maybe it was one point six to two, getting a little lofty. Do you anticipate that that will break out to a higher real yield? And what level is normal of the higher real yield?
Speaker 4: Well, a normal might be keep in mind we only have about twenty five years of actual data on real yields I yesterday back to the tips market of ninety seven ninety eight, normal might be one hundred and fifty bases points. So we're roughly at what you might expect to be a normal real interest on ten year treasury. Now, with that said, we do not necessarily expect ten year real yields to rise much from here because we expect inflation expectations to get Inflation itself is getting close to bottoming this cycle. We think it's going to be very difficult for the Fed to get inflation below three percent, and we've already gotten expectations below three.
Speaker 1: The headline there, John is on the edge of beyonco. I mean, this is the second time in forty eight hours.
Speaker 3: That phras I almost thought you misspoke. You think inflation expectations are bottoming for this cycle.
Speaker 4: Yes, and that's because we buy into the hypothesis that inflation is going to remain sticky and that the Fed does not have the stomach to do what it takes to permanently bring this structural inflation back to a neutral. By that, we mean do excessive damage to the labor market bring aggregate demand well below potential. That's what's required, and that's a pretty deeper session. We don't think the Fed has the appetite to do that.
Speaker 3: You ju'mp buy into the vulcaresque delivery of cham and pound in late August last year. No, I don't.
Speaker 4: If they were serious about bringing inflation in line with long run targets, they would have reduced the balance sheet at probably three times the pace they're going on.
Speaker 3: So, just to be clear on the pane of sheet cool, you think they should be more aggressive with QT, You don't think they will be?
Speaker 4: Oh, absolutely exactly both to them.
Speaker 3: Yes, to both of those.
Speaker 4: We think they should have been more aggressive, but we think they will not be.
Speaker 1: I'm fascinated by this. Jim Bianco out in Chicago, and you guys have a call of a dis disinflation. We're gonna disinflate, come down and then at three percent, what do you do reverse and go up? How much? What's that model show?
Speaker 4: Well, right now we're expecting a bottom around three percent. We'll call it your overra headline CPI. On a quarter over quarter basis, we might see inflation dip below three percent fairly easily. But you start to see around three percent, the FED gets weak knees. You start to see that the labor market is getting to a point where to bring inflation down much lower, you gotta do a substantial amount of damage because all of a sudden, businesses are no longer hoarding staff. They're laying off staff they do need, and that's demand destruction, and that's a bigger recession ahead of twenty twenty four that the FED probably go again.
Speaker 1: Does it bring it over to Jason Trunnet's work. If I have a sustained three percent, which is your minimum call, maybe actually higher, that gives me a nominal GDP that's extraordinary. Does that support well run companies in America?
Speaker 4: Well, that supports companies that have low borrowing costs. That supports companies that have bargaining power or pricing power in their industry and strong management and have basically barriers to entry as well. It doesn't support companies.
Speaker 1: It describes john Ford Stocks.
Speaker 4: And we'll look at the Russell two Forty five percent of the companies in the Russell two thousand don't fit that. They're the exact opposite.
Speaker 3: These are big cos if you're expecting inflation expectations to bought them out. What is that LAFE fixed income for people sitting in the tenure right now? Taking on a bit more, you're ration, what are your tuning them?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: Right now, let's say ten year treasury at three eighty five. That actually looks attractive to us. In a environment where the US economy goes into recession, real yields come down, inflation expectations really.
Speaker 3: Don't move much. They might even go up.
Speaker 4: You still have downside and ten year treasury yield up down to maybe a three percent to three and a quarter percent. But let's put that in perspective. The average recession sees a ten year treasury drop two hundred and twenty five to two hundred and fifty basis points. That's probably not going to happen this cycle.
Speaker 3: At most.
Speaker 4: We're looking at that ten year going from four to thirty where it peaked last year, maybe down to a three twenty to three percent.
Speaker 3: This is really important stuff. What we're discussing here is ultimately how the bum market's going to behave in what you've described, and I'll put a name on it, and a saxflation we will yep. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 4: And again we're looking at positive total return in a ten year treasury. We'll call it a seven percent total return upside when yields drop, And if you're levered three times like many funds are, that's a twenty percent return that offsets maybe a twenty five to thirty percent loss on the x what he said. But the thing is, you're not looking at a fifty percent return in treasuries. You're looking at a six percent, seven percent levered up to twenty percent.
Speaker 3: Amazing, some just amazing.
Speaker 1: I really can't say enough. You know, we're making jokes about it, folks. We're going to the summer. We're getting lazy and sloppy like everybody else. It's an incredibly holiday shortened week. We're compressing three days john of serious economic analysis. And I got two competent shops, Bionco and Strtigas saying the same thing that we're gonna diss I'm making this word up, dis disinflate.
Speaker 3: Well that let's all brand new. That phrase. Just this idea that inflation expectations are bottoming out for the cycle. That is not what this feder Reserve Tom wants to hear at all, at all. No, So twenty five in July is what most people anticipate, some people saying maybe another twenty five, the Committee suggesting that might be the direction of travel, and then you think they're done as well. I think so, And let's keep this in mind.
Speaker 4: The higher they go with the Fed funds rate, the more likely they are to reach their target of two percent inflation. But we just don't think that they have the stomach to keep doing this. There's gonna be demand destruction. And you've got to also look at the second half of the year. The two stories in the second half of the year. Obviously, recession risk is one of them. The other one is you're looking at massive liquidity drain from the treasury raising cash and adding back to its Treasury General account. And you're looking at the FED continuing to reduce its balance sheet, albeit at a very slow pace. So if the Fed were to go to let's say a six percent Fed funds rate, of course the chances of them bringing inflation down are much higher. But I don't see them doing that because it's already liquidity drag or liquidity drain coming in the second half.
Speaker 3: Well, you o code in recession anyway, yep, And a recession that comes without right cuts.
Speaker 4: For now, Yes, because I do think where the FED will be sticky. And keep in mind, I don't think the FED is going to go to six percent Fed funds rate, but I do think they're gonna hold the funds rate at whatever they terminate, five and a quarter, five and a half, whatever it is, They're gonna hold it there for as long as possible, and then they're gonna cut. So that means now we're looking at those first cuts probably coming in February of next year.
Speaker 3: The WORL would you describe, so stack flashin a FED that's not went into crush inflation ultimately might start cutting next year. Sounds pretty dreadful for risk assets, doesn't it? Recession as well all these codes that you've got, It absolutely does.
Speaker 4: And I think the silver lining here is that eventually they do cut. And because you're looking at an economy that is still relatively balanced for the most part at this point, you're not looking at extreme excesses and housing in energy investment, Your recession is shallow and there should be more of a V shaped bounce off of it once we reach that trough.
Speaker 3: Well, how'd you get the vey if it's shallow?
Speaker 4: Just to build on that just fondly, because you do get a FED that does eventually cut aggressively in twenty twenty four, twenty five.
Speaker 3: And it's just one of those conversations that later on today I'm going to replay and listen back to. This was great Tom to Sourus that a strategist with this around a table, David Leibovitz Global Market's trying to just a JP Morgan Asset Management. David want to put a catch up with you, sir, post your life fourth and I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Let's start there. You missed it. What do you do now?
Speaker 5: So I think what's interesting is that we all missed it. You know, people came into this year with a view that, Okay, maybe you get a little bit of a bounce because twenty twenty two is so bad, but certainly not fifteen percent on the S and P in the first half of the year. And so I think what you do is you actually don't do all that much because what we don't want people to do is to begin chasing this rally. You know, we do see some storm clouds on the horizon. We do think that the risk of recession has risen. I do think that the FED is going to continue hiking rates. Yes, we've had a very good run in risk assets, but but I wouldn't chase this rally too much. I would stick to your plan, stick to your acid allocation rather than moving things around one way or the other.
Speaker 1: I'll get that. But you have to identify a second leg of able market. Is JP Morgan allowed with all your economic work Chasm Faroli to say, we have the underpinning of what can be a legitimate broadening out bullmarket.
Speaker 5: So I guess there are two things that give me pause about that, that possibility of broadening out from a bull market perspective. The first is that the majority, the entirety, effectively, of the rally that we've seen year to date has been driven by multiple expansion right, so earning hasn't really participated. And so what we need to see in order to remain constructive on risk assets here is evidence that you know, the potential downside on earnings is potentially not as bad as what a lot of people would expect if we do hit a slower patch in the economy, potentially a recession. I think you're looking at earnings estimates which are signaling that products will continue to rise, and to me, that's a tough pill to swallow.
Speaker 1: In the real world of sitting around when the you know, we celebrate that the colonies one and we're sitting around and we're having mustard not catch up on our hot dogs, and there's one guy there livid at a given institution. Let's pick on JP Morgan and saying, Okay, what's the plan to catch up? What's the JP Morgan plan to catch up? If I was above average but nothing like what Nvidia.
Speaker 5: Did, So I think the best thing that people can do today is try to preserve their optionality, and we would encourage two ways of a place. First would be by not forgetting about fixed income.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: You know, we talked about how sitting in cash feels comfortable, and obviously you're getting paid from the bond market. Once again, we still think that that optionality, maintaining a relatively short duration could work in your favor because if you get a big pullback in equities, you're going to be able to deploy that capital and try to catch up. To your question. The other thing is we would maintain that shorter duration on the equity side as well. Focus on the dividend payers focus on the high cash flow companies. Again, there's a lot of excitement and a lot of enthusiasm about things like artificial intelligence, and I do think that it'll boost productivity over the longer term, but I'm not sure it's going to boost productivity tomorrow, and I'm not sure it means that we're going to avoid some sort of soft patch in the economy over the course of the next twelve months. So this all feels very sentiment driven. That's why we're so focused on profits and the optionality that those cash flows.
Speaker 3: Can prove in videos making money, metas making money, What does tech fit into that? Just to build on that a little bit more.
Speaker 5: No, and we talked about this a couple of months ago. What was really interesting about watching tech into the end of twenty twenty two in the beginning of this year is that they've been taking their medicine right, they've been laying people off, they've been defending that margin. They don't necessarily have the type of pricing power that you're seeing from say the airlines, in the current environment, and so you're actually seeing tech margins hang in there. And I think that that does limit the downside to the market if we do hit a slow patch or a recession in the economy. But you know, my general take is that even if inflation is still above the Fed's target and real growth is slowing, tough to see how earnings in aggregate continue to.
Speaker 3: Expand just going through the top ten on the S and P five hundred YEA Today and video we all know that name Meta. Then you've got these cruise operators Carnival up by one hundred and thirty five percent, Royal Caribbean up one hundred and nine percent, YEAT today, Norweighting up seventy nine there's a home builder in there by close to seventy percent. What's all that about?
Speaker 5: So I think that this, this is the big question, and I think this is part of why so many people have gotten the market wrong this year. It feels like we're seeing these rolling recessions in the economy, where first it was the cyclical parts, the rate sensitive parts like housing. Obviously you had services shut down during the pandemic, and things have continued to bounce there quite nicely. The path to a soft landing here is that everything fails to roll over at the same time, and we just see these little kind of mini explosions in many soft patches, which isn't completely unfeasible. But I think what you're seeing in terms of the top performers outside of the tech names services, people are still out there spending money. They're still going on vacation. I was in Orlando the other week. The airport was full. You look at home builders, right when it comes to mortgage rates, it's the big move that puts things on ice.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: People look at the numbers and they say, well, the house is more expensive. Rates are more expensive, but I don't think that they're necessarily going to continue to rise, and so you're beginning to see that stabilization in those parts of the economy. And I think that that's why people continue to gravitate to this soft landing thesis, although it seems like a bit of a story in so, I think that bonds for us, the shorter end of the curve continues to look most attractive. You're not getting paid to go all the way out. I think selectively adding duration when you get a ten year that edges up towards four percent makes a lot of sense because over twelve months, right if rates end up falling that's going to work.
Speaker 1: If the zeitgeist this weekend, John while you were away was simple. People are stunned at how retail, in particularly older retail, is all in stocks. The lessons we learned cfa kind of chit chat. It's been thrown out the window by a public just buying and buying and buying stocks.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about something that's going to come up along. You'll hear people in programs like this talking about triple digit inversion two year, ten year, negative one hundred and five basis points for a lot of people listening, and they've heard this a million times. The curves inverted. That's dangerous. That's bad, isn't it. What does that mean? Negative one o five?
Speaker 5: So that's close to as inverted as the curve has. He takes, right, we have to all the way back to the eighties. And you know, again, you think about history and it doesn't always repeat itself, but it does tend to rhyme. And I think what the yield curve is telling us is is something that you know, a lot of people I think know in the back of their minds, but but hesitate to really wrap their arms about. Is that squeezing the last little bit of water out of this inflation sponge is probably going to be more difficult than a lot of people expect, and it's arguably going to require a recession. And I think that that's what the yield curve is saying. It said, the FED has recognized that if they want to prioritize controlling prices, they're going to need to potentially crash the plane, and I think that that's why you're seeing the curve as inverted as it is, just.
Speaker 3: To finish on that. Then, David, does that imply this FED has to sit at five point fifty for a longer time than people expect, or does that imply that this FED needs to go high than five fifty and maybe even closer to six percent.
Speaker 5: So I think that the risk to rates is still to the upside. Obviously, my boss's boss thinks that six percent is potentially in play. It wouldn't surprise me. But I think at a minimum, what investors need to be prepared for is the FED going to somewhere around five fifty and then not blinking until the labor market deteriorates in a way that they can no longer ignore it. Right three point seven percent on unemployment is not going to catch the Fed's attention. Four and a half.
Speaker 1: Well, it's David. It's a slow news day. Can can you state that mister Diamond's looking for a six percent level in FED funds? Right?
Speaker 5: He came out and said that.
Speaker 1: He came out and said that he thought we were going.
Speaker 3: To set You know that's not news. You're trying to get him INTROUPO.
Speaker 1: I don't know. David writes his annual letter, you know, it's like a fifty eight page level call up leve it. So they go, come on, write this thing.
Speaker 3: For us on that.
Speaker 5: Well, I think what's interesting is that it wasn't too long ago that people were highly skeptical that we were going to five And this is a FED that has taken the inflation problem personally. They've already made one policy error, right, they started too late. I don't think that they're going to make another. In the office, we're in the office five days a week, five days a week.
Speaker 1: Are you going to get a view of Park Avenue in Grant and the uh, you know, the down at the end of Park there pan Am building, or are you going to be looking out over New Jersey and in the Hudson. How do we fit that in?
Speaker 5: I think time will tell I heard it. How good I am at calling THEE.
Speaker 3: Six got a star office view, David, Thank you much, David Leave it's there of JP Morgan Asset Management.
Speaker 1: This is really a special treat here. I was hugely influenced years ago and reading i'll say five books on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and all the romance back to seventy five millimeter Lawrence of Arabia a million years ago of this experiment that is the Saudi family. Alan Wald is definitive on this. We usually talked to her about the major revenue maker, which is oil, maybe a Ramco at Formula one. But today we digress and with ellen Wald we speak of this royal family and what they're doing to global sports. Ellen, are you surprised that the Saudis want to acquire entertainment prestige?
Speaker 6: No, I'm not. I think that this really goes along very well with their kind of general search for global prestige, especially in terms of the West. And you know they're not really getting it from oil anymore. Yes, they still are providing this incredibly vital resources, as you just mentioned to the world, But it doesn't necessarily come with prestige. In fact, it comes with a bit of the opposite, given how prominent the climate issues are today and how prominent they are in discussion. You even saw the OPEC Secretary General making reference to the fact that, of course we want an admissions free future. Well really, aren't you guys a bunch of oil producers. So I think that they are searching for other avenues to acquire prestige, and that generally for the Saudi involves throwing money at it.
Speaker 1: Miamateur, take on this, off, lacy and off your work is a basic idea that these are tribal clans, tribal families. Whether it's United Era memorates Kuwait, the originality of the experiment in Jordan, et cetera. Give us an update on the power structure of the royal family in Saudi Arabia. Does it parken back to Faisal or is it something new?
Speaker 6: So I think it's kind of a combination of both, in effect, because the Sautists have always looked for ways to show their prestige, and so way back when you had you know, Abdolzes even so he would basically, you know, before he had oil. His way of showing his kind of rule and affirming his rule over the various tribes in Saudi Arabia was to go around and basically promise them stuff. So people would show up and they'd ask for things, and he promised them, and then they'd have to show up at his you know, treasurer, and the treasurer would have to dole out the money. And you know, for oil, there wasn't that much money, so as soon as it was gone, he'd kind of pack up and slink away. But still the Saudi king would kind of keep promising things. Well, now they've got tons of oil and tons of money, and so they're promising things, you know, in terms of going out and trying to acquire big time footballers or do this deal with PGA, which is essentially going to allow them to kind of bank roll this commercial entity for golf around the world. And it's basically a way of ensuring that people don't say bad things about them, but also ensuring to their people, hey, look, we're doing all this great stuff and you know, we're behind it and we're funding it.
Speaker 3: And none of this is new. As you've illustrated that China tried to do this with football, it wasn't very successful. Russia is trying to do this in a various ways to use sport as a vehicle to basically achieve certain goals, whether it be the Winter Olympics, a Formula one race. World can't for football. And I want to understand from your perspective, what would success look like for the Saudis. What does that actually look like.
Speaker 6: That's a good question. I think success is it partially it is winning. So their sports teams have to do well. And I remember there was a whole big controversy about the Saudis trying to acquire a football club in England and then they didn't get the one that they wanted, so they got a lesser one. So they've got to do well. But they've also got to kind of make money out of it. So even if they don't win, it's not so much about winning. It's more about you know, being on TV and getting that prestige and people kind of showing them difference. You know, their big time people get invited to all the big events and they show them on camera and they you know, say good things about them, and nobody says anything bad about them. So this is a way of kind of ensuring Oh that koshogi thing that happened back there, you know, no one, no one remembers that because now we've got you know, Rumayan at you know, the center of the PGA golf tournament, and you know, NBS show up to whatever football game he wants, and you know they'll show him on camera and say, you know, if not good things, at least they won't say bad things.
Speaker 3: Are you expecting the West to close the door to this, Well, I.
Speaker 6: Do think that there's going to be pushback. But money is a really powerful motivator and it's very hard to say no when you know there's a deep pocket here. I mean, look at PGA, and you know, as long as there isn't any kind of major human rights issue that pops up, of course, I do think that that kind of thing is inevitable. There will be another big human rights issue that comes up, and the issue will be will these leagues be able to say, no, we don't want your money anymore, or will they say, oh, well we do want your money.
Speaker 1: We just want you to write Ellen, you're away from what Ed Moore says. Jeff Curry and the rest of the bandits in hydrocarbon analysis. What's your price barrel of oil that you think the royal family needs in Saudi Arabia? Do you have a Brent crude price that gets it done for them?
Speaker 6: I think that anything above you know, sixty sixty five is getting it done for them. They don't need to cover their budget with the price of oil. So I know the IMF says, you know, oh, they need eighty or eighty five dollars oil to cover their budget. That's not how the Saudis are thinking. They don't need to cover their budget with oil. They can, you know, they can take loans, They've done that, and not necessarily that they have other sources of revenue. I think they would love eighty or eighty five in order to keep expanding their investments and keep having more money to just throw at these prestige things. But you know, to be perfectly satisfied, I think honestly they're fine with sixty. They can make it even at forty or fifty.
Speaker 3: And just to be clear on the record, Newcastle United is a lesser team, Is that right? Anon? Well, you know, I'm.
Speaker 6: Not really up on my British all teams.
Speaker 3: That's when I heard that seek in Shepherdson, Pantheon, macrowe Can was with us.
Speaker 6: I tried United, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, Ellen had to wait to come on because my soccer talk was so lame while you were going. Brima really helped. We had we had on uh Ian, Shepherdson and Panthe and then we were tied it into Saudi Arabia's investment with the Newcastle United and then one was it fourth place, the wonderful fourth place.
Speaker 3: Finish secure Champions League.
Speaker 1: It was great. But you know my question is to two of you. We got another fifteen minutes with Allen. I think I'm kidding a fifty and I got to talk F one racing in a Ramco's investment.
Speaker 3: There and well, thank you Ellen, thank you. That was.
Speaker 1: Elene Becker joins us now on the tragedy was just domestic air travel. What I learned over the weekend lane in two instances, one with John Farrell, who actually got on an airplane and got home, is in an national travel is actually pretty good, and domestic travel is an absolute train wreck. You drive out of Denver and you and I remember the horrific Stapleton International Airport with the winds going sideways and you were lucky you could land. This is an history and you're going across the fields of Denver East and there are those teepees in the distance, which was a huge success of Denver. Den built a stunning twenty seven years ago. Why can't we build new airports in America?
Speaker 7: That's a great question, tom So. The number one issue is space. We don't have enough space. If you think about Newark Airport, to the right you have one highway and to the left you have the New Jersey turnpikes. So there's no place to put a third parallel runway that would alleviate some of the problems. And then people don't want big airports in their backyard. The reason Denver was able to be built is because they bought so much of the land out there that you can have. I think there's four parallel runways now and I think they can go up to six or eight, so they have the space for growth. Most of the rest of the country is built around cities and you just don't have that within that.
Speaker 1: Scott Kirby of United belieguered I believe he called in from Teeterborough. We're trying to get him on the phone but Scott Kirby of United madclear they will do less flights out of EWR the companies you follow, is that the future, which is they're just going to have fewer flights.
Speaker 7: Yep. Absolutely, We've been seeing that Tom as you know, for a couple of years now, for at least five or seven years. It's going to be more seats per departure, so bigger aircraft, and it's going to be fewer departures per day. You remember you and I talked about this the Secretary of Transportation as the four big airlines serving the New York area, Delta, American, United and Jeff Blow to cut their summer capacity by ten percent because air traffic control is understaffed. And you add that, you add to an understaffed air traffic control system. Then you add to that winter or summer rather thunderstorms, and you have all the aircraft have to land, especially the ones coming in from overseas, and then nothing's taking off. So you get, right, you get those issues with aircraft that can't find gates, and the next thing you know, people are trapped.
Speaker 1: One final question on this insanity, and I actually want to talk Graham, Dodd and Coddle with you actual adult securities analysis not so much who do you blame? But years ago weren't there thunderstorms as well. I mean, I don't get why thunderstorms are now a new.
Speaker 7: Thing, right exactly. So the biggest issue is when thunderstorms roll through the area, they're number one unpredictable, so you don't really know where the cells are. You cannot have because of all that at all, if there's lightning in the area, you cannot have your people on the ramp loading and unloading the tags. They have to come in. You can't refuel, so they have to command. So that's to your point, that hasn't changed. But what has changed is that the entire system is just overtaxed. And it goes back to years, it goes back decades. The system has been underinvested in. And that's infrastructure. It includes airports, and includes government right, and it includes airlines.
Speaker 1: Let's talk securities analysis by hold Sell hullaen Becker on say typic United Airlines. I did a log regression of United Airlines back to two thousand and eight where they cratered in the Great Contraction. Great they could go up one hundred percent off that that log extrapolation out based pre pandemic. Do you envision these airlines going up fifty eighty indeed one hundred percent in the near term.
Speaker 7: Off the two thousand and eight bases. Yeah, there's no reason why they shouldn't maybe not one hundred percent, but certainly doubles from here. Even from here, I mean, it's not going to be as robust as it would have been without the pandemic because with the exception of Delton, I think Alaska are everybody else issued equity. So if we thought they could earn like United take for example, our best idea for twenty three, if we thought they could earn three dollars thirteen dollars a share at the peak at a ten multiple would be one hundred and thirty. But now you have to adjust for the increase you know, in shares outstandings, So thirteen becomes twelve, one hundred and thirty becomes one hundred and twenty, and the stock's at fifty five is fifty four. So no reason why I can't go up from here, especially given the fact that we think we're in a multi year growth phase where you're going to have these issues. These are not issues that are going to be solved speedily. If for short, three thousand air traffic controllers and we only train five or six hundred a year, that's a five or six year problem right there. So curious to what Scott will say that, Yeah, it's kind of probably what Helene.
Speaker 1: This is important because I remember I treasured my conversation with Robert crandall, you know, American Airlines and all that he did and the history of aviation. The romance of what Helene Becker covers great. The bottom line is, have they found a new maturity of persistent cash flow or are the group of planes? Are they still sharks where they boom they bust, they boom they bust. Is it a new regime?
Speaker 7: No? I mean, I just I don't know the answer to that specifically. I don't think I can. I would never have foretested the pandemic, right and I'm not sure. In fact, I famously said that in one of my reports that you can't shut down the world, and it turned out we did and you could. It's just turning it back on. It's not that easy. And I think that's a big problem. We stopped figuring out how to make this work. And the fix is a multi year fix. But in the interim there will always be shocks to the system that will cause the earnings to decline, will cause losses, will cause airlines to go bankrupt again. But I think in the main because of all these infrastructure issues, a lack of OEM deliveries that our good friend Kaivon Rumor, my colleague at td COW and talk about all the time, the ATC system that we've talked about. You add all those issues together, plus you have ten ten thousand at this point. Pilot's retiring in this decade and it's hard to replace them and so on. So by the time you're done with all of this, Yeah, it's it's really problematic because their travel is just going to get more.
Speaker 6: Expensive real quick.
Speaker 1: Here, Helene, you get to breathe the same air as Kaivon Rumor. I mean, he's the giant for all of us with an airline transportation security analysis. Is Kaivon Rumor optimistic on the future of Boeing whether they're out of Seattle or Chicago or I think they're moving to Washington this week? Is he still plus plus on BA?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 7: I think it's one of his one of his top picks.
Speaker 1: Okay, Helene, thank you so much. Helene Becker there with TD Cowen on an upper Thanks to all your anecdotal comments over the weekend on domestic travel. And I've had a couple very worried messages about Baramo and I'm really not sure which airport she's in, but you know it's you know, does they set up the airports and there's no place to lay down because they don't want people laying down, and so you know, she's got a fold out thing where she puts it across the railings of the chair, so at least the cherubs can sleep. But she's had her fair share of the domestic travel as well. Subscribe to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live every weekday starting at seven am Easter. I'm Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can watch us live on Bloomberg Television and always I'm the Bloomberg Terminal. Thanks for listening. I'm Tom Keen, and this is Bloomberg