Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Cool People Who Shot nazis your weekly podcast that reminds you that maybe your grandfather was cooler than you fought, or if you're one of our German listeners, he's probably about as uncol as you already.
Speaker 2: Know, eyeballing grandpa across the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy and with me today is the Carl Casarda. Are you hey?
Speaker 2: It's super great to be back. It's always a joy to be on the show and see you and hang out and talk about really cool topics.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then Sophie is here too, our producer, Hi, Sophie, him Magpie. That's it. There's no one else to credit. I certainly wouldn't credit Ian, who spends hours turning all of this into everyone wants to say. Hi Ian, Hi Ian, Hi Ian Hi Ian. And on women did our theme music? This is part three of four on a series about snipers in World War Two. But unlike every other time I've done multi part series, if you just showed up to this episode to hear about the deadliest woman in military history, you're actually fine. Parts one and two are great and they're worth listening to. And they set up a lot of the context, and but this one's sort of a different one. It's kind of like somewhere between a new episode and a continuation of an episode. I'm sure everyone listening is really concerned about the way that we formulate numbering in our episodes. They probably spend as much time thinking about it as I do.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like knowing about World War Two but not knowing about World War One. You can kind of do that, but it's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know as much about World War One. I'm still learning as constantly, Like I think that the main thing that stuck with me. I listened to the whole some whole really long history podcast about World War One, and the main thing I remember is people running at machine gun nests by the thousands and how horrible was That's the main thing I remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a real lesson in mechanization and modernization, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But last week we talked about Simo, the Finn who hid in the snow, potentially the deadliest sniper in history. There's a lot of people sort of vying for that spot, but not in a fun Highlander way, just like historians, you know, although actually a lot of people were vite. Thirty six people vied with the person we're going to talk about today. This week, we're gonna talk about someone who I think is even cooler, another person who answered the call to stop an invading authoritarian force, Ludmilla Pavlchenko. You heard Ludmilla.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a female sniper in the Soviet Union that let's say, how do we use the parlance, racked up quite the body count.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And it's funny because people every now and then you can kind of tell, like, ah, you know whatever, they didn't kill near She didn't kill nearly as many people as like these other men or whatever. She killed way more people than any American ever has well as a sniper, Americans drop some nukes, but.
Speaker 2: And firebombs and other things.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, yeah, okay from a sniper point of view. So she's credited as the most successful woman sniper in history, the deadliest woman in military history. She single handedly brought down three hundred and nine Nazis. As the most commonly cited count, which was the American who's super famous, Chris Kyle. He's at like one hundred and fifty or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know the number.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. I didn't actually watch American Sniper. It didn't seem like.
Speaker 2: I doubt that movie has a lot to do with reality. But that's a different topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Neither is Chris Kyle's book. But ooh, that's another topic.
Speaker 1: It's okay, neither does the lady who are talking about today's book, to be honest, okay, fair propaganda, it's a thing that governments do. That's our that's our theme song. So all the while, she was also fighting against the sexism of the Soviet military, which, to be clear, was not as bad as the sexism as any other military because women were allowed in it, and they were allowed to fight. They just had to. It was hard for them to do. And she also you know that she might have boned the first Lady of the United States, Eleanor Roosevelt.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm extremely curious talking about bodycounts.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna start with it. We'll get to that part. And I'm not even it's actually in today's it's not even in Wednesdays, so that you're welcome everyone. We will start with the history of women fighting in the military in Russia, which predates the Russian Revolution. This part surprised me, and also this includes women who fought in the military against the revolution. The Russian Revolution briefly upended traditional conservative culture, although Stalin reinforced you know, brought it all back or whatever. But even traditional conservative Slavic culture, as least according to some of the sources I read, has a different set of roles available to women than in cultures further west. In the Slavic household, a woman's duties might include chopping wood, driving tractors, and fighting whatever is necessary to take care of the family. That can still be women's work, even in a like patriarchal situation in which the woman is like subject to the rules of the household and stuff. You ever seen that Instagram video by Meg Boggs. She's a Mexican woman who's a fitness influencer. She puts on a Russian accent, and she does push ups with like weights, and she's a large woman, and she says, I can't do a Russian accent and save my life. She says, I don't want to be strong like man who looks pretty. I want to be strong like bitch that fights bears in the forest.
Speaker 2: I think a bear would be in somewhere. Yeah, it's Russia. It's bears. No, I actually haven't seen that, but I can totally get the vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's that's kind of it. I h and it fucking rules. And it's not actually a Russian woman's a Mexican woman, which also is completely fine by me. But that's the traditional feminine values that we're talking about that are coming into play. This isn't a paint slavic culture as like gender equal. It's just different, and it's different in a way that seems to have made it easier for women to make their ways to the front lines. Mostly they did this in partisan units during World War Two, and we'll talk about that a little bit later, but I also did it in the military itself. Have you heard of the women's battalions the uh what is this one called the like Women's Battalion of Death or something like that. I've curious.
Speaker 2: It's like this like one of the more maybe not a ground fighter, but like one of the most amazing instances for a topic for another day, or like the night witches that were the pilots for example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to get to them. Oh cool, I'm this is this is going to be a ADHD whole of an episode. I'm really excited about it. One day we're going to do a proper Russian Revolution episode. This is not that day. But in nineteen seventeen, year of the Russian Revolution, come out to actually two different revolutions. You have the February Revolution, which actually happened in March, but they have a different calendar, so to them, it happened in February. To the rest of the world happened in March, and you wind up with something called the Provisional Government, and morale for staying in World War One was dropping fast with the ending of this artum or whatever. The provisional Government, which was not necessarily radical, was like, what the fuck do we do? One woman had an idea. Her name was Maria butch Cervera. She was already a soldier. She'd fought like hell to get to fight with the men, and eventually the way she'd eventually been able to fight with the men in World War One is a commander helped her write a personal telegram Desar Nicholas the Second for permission to go fight the front. She started off as a but soon she was a corporal in charge of eleven men, and she is the first Russian woman to lead troops in the formal military. You want to guess when the US pulled off having a woman lead troops in the formal military.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know, But since you're asking that question and thinking of how things are, I'm going to say I might be off. But let's go with two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: You actually it was a very progressive country. Is nineteen eighty nine when.
Speaker 2: Oh, I underestimated us a little bit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Linda Bray commanded US troops while invading Panama. Which is the funny thing is whenever you're like, like girl power, go.
Speaker 2: Invade a diversity, win for operation just because.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So February Revolution nineteen seventeen, troops are losing morale, Maria is like, let's make all women military formations. So they formed sixteen all women military formations with a total of about five thousand fighters. This is a couple interesting points. First, several have names like first Russian Women's Battalion of Death, which is really fucking metal and it just needs to be acknowledged. This one the first women's Russian Russian Women's Battalion of Death was run by Maria herself, who was very strict and who kept getting wounded in battle and then kept going back to the front lines. Anyway, I'd always figured it was the Communists who first put women into uniform in Russia, Right that that seems like the kind of thing the Communists would be more likely to do, Right, But it comes before that, And an all women's unit actually protected the Winter Palace, trying and failing to stop the Red Army in the October Revolution later that year. So they were a counter revolutionary force by whatever called standards, and the Bolsheviks champions of women's liberty. The first thing they did not the first thing, within like a month or so of like taking power, they dissolved all the women's units. To be fair, I don't know whether this is they were like women shouldn't fight, or whether this was like all the women are shooting at us. I'm not sure which. Usually Again, I I don't want to be like, oh, I don't know about the October Revolution. I know a decent bit about the Russian Revolution, but I haven't deep dived it the way that I'm intending to. But in general, it is referred to as when the Bolsheviks took power, and this is sort of true. In the October Revolution. It was actually a pluralistic assortment of left revolutionaries, which included the anarchists who did a lot of the most dangerous work. As always, you had the Mensheviks, and you had the srs, who are like a grarian socialists, kind of the social democrats. This coalition later falls apart when the Bolsheviks introduced the secret police, the Cheka, and then start attacking their former allies, which is how you end up with a you know how like the Russian The Russian Civil War has like all the armies named in colors. Have you heard this? I really like this because it's so it makes some things kind of clear in this weird way when you just name all of these armies. Where you have the Red Army, you have the White Army. You have the White Army as the capitalists. It's not actually necessarily all capitalists, a lot of social democrats, it's the people fighting against the revolution. You have the Black Army, which are the anarchists which split off from the Red Army. We'll talk about that. And then you have the Green Army, which are kind of the brotherhood without banners from the Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones not a game, the show, which is a game in the name. These are the peasants who are like, we are sick of everyone showing up and just fucking taking all of our stuff. The Bolsheviks are doing it, but they're not capitalists. In fact, they're specifically anti capitalist. They're sort of anarchistic and socialistic and they want to basically self govern and so they go to war also against the Bolsheviks and the capitalists. I want to know more about them, but that's to come back to the women's I've run across this a lot while researching the show that women combatans and units are like cool, but they're also kind of just used for propaganda purposes. Basically, they're used to like shame men into fighting, Like even the women are doing it. What the fuck is wrong with you? Friend of the pod mother? Nope, what's that name? Is not in the script? That lady, the Irish goth lady who works with union miners, who has a magazine named after her mother Jones. Yeah, mother Jones, Like she used to do this shit. She would show up and be like, well, come on, I'm fighting and I'm a woman, what's wrong with you? Right? And it's like fine, right, but it kind of makes me sad. It's like failing the revolutionary Bechdel test, you know, when like women are only doing this thing for men rather than doing it for their own power and sake. Anyway, I have all these battalions, they are largely under resourced, and they don't last too long, even before the Bolsheviks take power and dissolve them. They were often taken off the front lines and put like guardian railroads or whatever, because a lot of it was just propaganda. A lot of it was just like, sure, we'll let you form these battalions in order to shame men into going back to fight this ridiculous war. That do you know what Russia was doing in World War One? I actually don't. I only know about like France and Germany and shit.
Speaker 2: You mean actually in the combat in the war itself. Like I mean when you.
Speaker 1: Say that, why they were doing it? What was their skin in the game in World War One?
Speaker 2: It was not that different than World War Two, which was the Germans were doing their thing and the Russians had to combine against it. The Germans have always been about fighting the Russians, and they ever were fighting on the west. So the reason is they always wanted to fight Russia, but there were these treaties in place that prevented them from doing so without being invaded from the west. So they would invade west to provide ground to protect the German homeland while they went east, all right, which is a weird, convoluted concept. But being stuck in the middle got them kind of cornered between these what they saw as two enemies. But Germany always saw Russia and of course the Soviet Union as the ultimate enemy that they really wanted to fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Europe is so weird. It is I don't know. I don't know what to say that. Besides, that's just weird.
Speaker 2: Before we move on, I want to loop back on one thing real quick. I was thinking about something. There's a gray space in terms of a woman led military operation, which isn't exactly what you're describing. But in eighteen sixty three, Harriet Tubman led the COMBA.
Speaker 1: He fair, Yeah, totally, So that's it's not that is a really good point.
Speaker 2: She wasn't in the military, but she did lead a fight. So that's like an interesting example in the middle, but then eighteen sixty three and then what'd you say, nineteen eighty nine, so a long time between those two events.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that's actually a really good point point, and the fact that she's sort of kept out of the traditional military structure but absolutely led it, and women so often were fighting in informal capacities, right and leading in informal capacities. But then, oh, that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: I really like rad Off for that because she deserves no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So Maria the woman who got you know, wrote a letter being like, hey, can I fight? And then also can we form these battalions? Her story doesn't end there. She's anti Bolsheviks, she's probably anti communist. Soon she's allied with the White Army and the army that is opposed to the Communists. That includes everything from the far right to monarchists to republicans to social democrats, everyone who's like not fuck the right army. She's captured by the Bolsheviks, she escapes, she goes to the US. She tries to rally the US and Britain to intervene in Russia. This will be the one of two times that this will come up in today's episodes, and then she'll go back to Russia to fight with the White Army. She tries to form a women's medical detachment, and then she's caught and executed by the Bolsheviks. In nineteen twenty and there's another woman fighter of note during the Russian Civil War, and I'm not going to get too into her because she's like basically my favorite person in history, and eventually I'm going to do like ten episodes about her. It'll just be like, twenty twenty four is the year of Maria Niki Farova. But there's a woman named Mickey nor Maria Niki Farova. Everyone is named Maria in this story, and she's a Ukrainian anarchist who forms the Blackguards in the summer of nineteen seventeen in Ukraine. The Blackguards soon spread into Russia itself. They're run by the Moscow Federation of Anarchist Groups. These weren't all women units, but the very first one was led by a woman, and she stayed a revolutionary leader throughout the war until she dies. But spoiler alert for whenever I do an episode about her, but this is a fairly elite unit, the Blackguards, in a way that I didn't realize the first time I read about it. A lot of anarchists were just in a Red Guard. But to join the Blackguard you had to be vouched for or by three different comrades, and you had to be vouch for for reliability, responsibility, and for ethical behavior. And so the vouching says it was an elite army, but it was like an ideologically elite army. Like you couldn't be a bandit. You could be a Robin Hood style bandit, but you couldn't be a like the kind of person who's going to take advantage of power to hurt people. And I love the idea that the like spec ops anarchist unit that is the like thing that you have to like be really fucking good at anyway. And they mostly are working as guerrilla detachments, working in tandem with the Red Guards until the Red Guards turn on them and then there's a whole thing. And actually there's a Bastard's episode about not about Marine Iikuphroba, but about Ukraine and the anarchist there and Makno and all that stuff that I recommend people check out from a couple of years ago. You wait, year that was you known what was a Christmas one, so just look for Christmas, so you're probably a The talking shit on Bolsheviks is one of my favorite pastimes. And it's true that they dissolve the women's units, but pretty much immediately the USSR and the Bolsheviks legally mandated equality between women and men, and like just in a sweeping women in man are equal, there's no difference between them in the eyes of the law, and then proceeded to not actually follow the law and continued to discriminate against women. But it it got shit started. The fact that you have this de jura de jure djur is one of these words I write all the time, but I don't say out loud. Equality legal equality, but they needed de facto equality. By nineteen eighteen, the USSR passed the Family Code, which continued to push basically feminism. It separated marriage from religion, It legitimized children from unmarried parents, and it extended the right to divorce. In nineteen twenty, they legalized abortion. Stalin would later reverse this because he wanted there to be more Russians he could send into a meat grinder. He also reversed the legalization of homosexuality. He also made bastards into bastards again. He made divorce harder. He I don't like Stalin very much.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he really corrupted something that was on a very positive track, right, I mean, that's besides all of the other things that one could say about Stalin. You see this when people talk about these movements now, it's all corrupted with the overshadowing horrible presence of Stalin and everything that came before him is lost in the horrors that he actually committed, which really ruins any concept around it, I know.
Speaker 1: And it's like frustrating because like I want to have conversations about why I disagree with the Bolsheviks, but I can't even have that because like Lenin looks like a fucking saint compared to Stalin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you talk about any of it, and like you're not talking about Bolshevism or communism, you're talking about Stalinism, and that's the more official word, but that's not the word that gets used.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, well Marx's Leninism is the word that they use. But as annoying because I think the Bolsheviks is that we'll talk about it when we do Civil War episodes. They murdered all their opponents and shit, they just like still were a better and fucking still anyway. Yeah, so, but you know what else is probably better than Stalin. It actually is better than Stalin. And that's what's so great about Stalin is Stalin makes even Bolshevism look good, and he even makes these ads look good.
Speaker 2: Wow, nothing like modern convenience is delivered to your door for your prosperity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most of these ads probably won't send lots of people to die for no reason or criminalize homosexuality. If you get the ad for one of the many politicians who are trying to criminalize homosexuality, then never mind. They're roughly equivalent to Stalin, which they'd love to hear, just like you'll love to hear these ads. And we're back so overall, even though I'm talking shit on like some things that didn't quite work out in revolutionary Russia. In terms of feminism, this is way more feminist than the US and way more feminist than most places you could be looking at in the world, which isn't saying much much like our comparison about the ads looking really good. And when I first heard about women snipers in World War two. I was like, yeah, of course, it's like the one thing the USSR was really good at was like equal opportunity for women.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But of the eight hundred thousand women who fought in the Red Army in World War Two, only eight thousand of them were actually able to see combat. They were kept out of frontline roles, they were made into nurses, they were like given support roles left and right. And the eight thousand who did see frontline combat had to fight like hell internally to get that.
Speaker 2: Everyone's equal with someone more equal than others. Right, It's like it's yeah, there's this whole thing that you see when you mentioned just a moment ago about like these like these goals and then reality and also how some things are more progressive than others. But when we look at history, it's so easy to lose context about if you put yourself in the place of time of then things, we can't balance things by our view now and what we would consider progressive now you have to think about was progressive then. And every one of those steps is where we get to to get to now, right, and we still have many more to go, but it all has to be in context.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's absolutely true, And like, this is the only military in World War two that has women in it in any kind of frontline capacity, you know, any official military. And about a third of these eight thousand women fighting in combat were snipers. There is an entire school for women snipers. At one point it might have put what years started in the script, I'm not really sure. And yeah, about one percent of all the women in the military saw combat. I were like trying to see combat.
Speaker 2: I wonder why it was so overwhelmingly on the sniper side of things. I mean, from here's an example of this that I see from what I do. In terms of even just competition, like shooting skill is frequently something that has nothing to do within a form of gender identity. It's completely based on the individual and the dedication they put into it. And also, which is interesting, at least in the modern day, so often the preconceived notions of what it means to be a good shooter or to be good or skilled at marksmanship. That of course, men in air quote are supposed to just be born with women aren't necessarily indoctrinated with that, and then when they come to learn, they're a much more open mind and they learn faster and usually are better.
Speaker 1: It is one of the things where I like, I spent a while fall i'velled down in this rabbit hole about like it has been my experience. I sometimes teach new people how to shoot firearms, right, And I used to live at a range, and it has been my experience that women are better at shots, like in a natural sense. And I hate gender essentialism, and so I'm like, well, what the hell's going on with this? And a lot of people have like put a lot of thought into it. Most of it's sort of nonsensical thought, but this idea of like being open minded and not coming in with like macho assumptions, and then it seems like at the highest levels of competition it actually average. It just evens out again, and it's like a sport in which men don't have an advantage. There's no biological advantage to being a man in shooting.
Speaker 2: I just think it's a clean slate thing, which I mean, no matter how much we want to keep ourselves out of the corrupting influences of how society likes to function, it's still there and coming to the to the plate with something a fresh mind and a clean slate and not being told this is what you're supposed to do or thinking or what you're supposed to do, and taking construction well, whoever or whatever reason that is the case means you're going to learn faster and better. It's just the reality. And then you said, like it levels off at the top, showing everyone can be equally as good. It's just coming to the table without an already corrupted perspective.
Speaker 1: No, that makes a lot of sense. And you know, anyone who's listening who's like, oh, I was not raised in a gendered way that gave me access to firearms. If you're interested in learning, it is a thing that your gender is not any kind of hindrance at I mean that whatever, stop people anyway. And there's so much discourse run sports and shit right now, as if anyone cared about women's sports until all of a sudden trans women existed. But yeah, the standout the military with the most women fighting in World War Two was the Italian Partisan Resistance because it was a partisan resistance and so thirty five thousand women were fighting against fascism as part of the Italian partisan resistance, and resistance movements everywhere have been friendlier to women. Overall, Russian women were also on the front lines of partisan resistance. Before the Red Army mobilized women stepped up, there was this unofficial engineer Corps that built anti tank fortifications and laid booby traps. As our Operation Barbarossa was coming. Because it happened so fast, there wasn't time to mobilize the military, and so just like local women were like, all right, well, let's go fucking blow up some tanks. You know, later these women joined up with the partisans trap behind Nazi lines, although primarily at that point in support roles that are just as important, like medical, cooking and smuggling messages around the sort of often the traditional women's roles within informal militaries and resistance movements, this especially like courier and all that kind of shit. But now let's talk about Ludmila Pevlchenko, our sniper. She's Ukrainian. She was born in Kiev what's now Ukraine but was then the Russian Empire on July twelfth, nineteen sixteen, which is, you know, before the Russian Revolution, but not by a lot. Her father was a Red Army Communist Party guy who was highly decorated for his role in the Russian Civil War, and she was a tomboy like half of the women on this show. She got really into shooting. She joined a group that was like, I didn't bother writing down as like some really long acronym. It's like an acronym with like nine or ten letters in it. Yeah. It It is basically the like, let's teach non army people, like non army kids army shit in the name of sport, but also because it's a good idea in case there's like a war whatever. It's like boy Scouts, only everyone does it and you get real guns and they teach you how to fly planes, and it's like not quite mandatory, but it's like basically mandatory. In order to get led into the better schools, you have to join this other group. In order to join that group, you have to join this group. And so everyone's a boy scout basically, and so she's a boy scout and she doesn't start off into shooting until a local boy is like, I'm better than you at this, and then she was like, oh no, I'm going to be better at it, you than you. Girls can fucking do anything they fucking want Apparently one of her main hobbies as a kid was beating up boys who tried to tell her what she couldn't couldn't do as a girl. And she got really good at shooting because she practiced all the time, which is a classic way to get good at stuff. Anyone's wondering how to get good at stuff, usually it am Alvest practicing all the time.
Speaker 2: The exact opposite of some of the things we see on the internet, which competition will get you killed in the streets. She's proving this exactly to be wrong.
Speaker 1: That's true. Do people say on the internet like, oh, if you practice competition shooting, then you're like, yes, there's.
Speaker 2: This concept of what they call training scars and like, for example, shooting competition. Even my dynamic ones like I run don't really have rules around cover or concealment or things that are very important in an actual combative situation. And so there's a certain subset of usually do nothing people that will say that this is the kind of stuff that gets you killed in the streets because you're not using cover properly while on the clock, but at the same time on the clock and learning how to shoot. Well, what is combat if it's not a timed course of with a part time that ends with someone dying. So being good, yeah, proficient with your weapon is a critical part of this. And yes, but people do claim the competition will give you scars that will get you killed. In reality, it's ridiculous, but it's a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds like something people would say. What I have found is very effective with gunfights is to avoid them.
Speaker 2: Number one way to yes, that is the best way to not get shot is to not be shot at. And the best way to not get shot at is not being a gunfight. Yeah, if you can avoid it. Sometimes life doesn't make that possible, but hopefully true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeahah no, it is worth like, depending on your threat model, it is worth training in this. So I just like, yeah, but like I just had people the exaggerated idea of the number of fights they get in. And if you get into a lot of fights, you actually really shouldn't carry a gun. If you find yourself in a bar fight on a regular basis, you are not someone who should carry a firearm until you stop getting into bar fights because you can't get into bar fights because you have a gun on you.
Speaker 2: Something's there right there, right something with either the situations you're putting yourself in or your social skills. Something's going awry if that's happening on the rig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she likes getting into regular fistfights learning how to shoot. But then classic bad thing happening to women on this show. So if he can probably guess so if he also with the script in front of her, she meets a guy, only in this case she doesn't fall for him. She's just sixteen and marys a piece of shit abusive doctor who's like a grown ass adult who's marrying a kid. So she does that, she's a kid of her own, and then she's like, you know, I actually I've thought about this and I don't like being married to an abusive piece of shit guy. So she leaves him. I don't know whether she ever actually ever formalized or divorce or she just left him. There's some like things where it comes up as possibly she never did. I don't care. And then she becomes an arms manufacturer, like in a metal working way. She moves to Kiev. She gets a job at an arms manufacturer. She's like grinding metal to make guns or something, and she takes night classes at a university for a history degree. She's also running track and doing pole vaulting and taking a sniper training class. This I don't believe she slept. I think is the Also, she's a fucking single mother at this alone.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm me, And all of this speaks to her fortitude before even the main topic.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The fact that she fell into that situation is one thing, but being able to escape it shows a lot of internal strength and fortitude. So that's in itself another indication of who she is as a person.
Speaker 1: No, totally. Then, I think she's like in her third or fourth year. She's in her early mid twenties. You get Operation Barbarossa, where Germany and its allies like Finland. We talked about it last time they invade the USSR. It's not going to go really well for him. Unfortunately, it's not going to really go well for anybody. She's one of the first volunteers and they're like, that's so great, I really appreciate the UK. We need nurses, and she's like, I'm a fucking sniper. I took sniper classes. I have all of these awards for sniping. I don't have any medical training. I'm a sniper, and they're like, no, you're a little lady. Your nails are done nice, and you're five foot one, so she's even shorter than our last hero. Her nails were done up because, like the men, she put on her best clothes and shit in order to go to the recruiting center. Right, the men got dressed up, so she figured she would too.
Speaker 2: And you're expected to meet social norms no matter what. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's a couple different accounts of how this happens. Next, she eventually convinces them to take her, and the funnest one is that she comes back in and she dumps her awards and certificates and shit on the dude's desk and is like, I'm a fucking sniper And she has to fight through a mountain of bullshit, including telling They tell her that she can't join unless her husband gives permission, and she's like, I haven't seen him in three years. I don't know where he lives, Like what the fuck. Eventually she strong arms her way into the military. There's a couple versions of what happens is also in this next part her own autobiography. It's called Lady Death, and the English translation it's probably not written by her. It's probably ghost written Soviet propaganda. Just frankly, it is a sanitized, Soviet approved version. It doesn't mention the Molotov ribbon tromp packed. It also talks about a bunch of fucking battles, and it talks about like not what she was doing, but what other people were doing during the battles. And I don't know whether that's a like, as a good communist, you don't center yourself, or if it's a she might have been like, sure, you can write my biography whatever you're fucking stalin. You can do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Probably didn't have much choice, Yeah, unlike the book, Unlike the book about Chris Kyle, ooh, we won't go there.
Speaker 1: So she gets into the army and they're like, that's cool. There's one problem. We actually don't have any guns. We just like, we have a lot more troops than we have guns. Here's a hand grenade. Why don't you go dig trenches? And isn't as bad as it sounds. There were I've read accounts of like people who are like literally just told like I don't care, go attack those tanks with your fingernails. If you don't do it, We'll fucking shoot you, you know. Like that is how the Red Army rolled sometimes, but it's not always how they rolled. In this case, it was go dig trenches, probably in Moldova, which is a country immediately south of Ukraine, which is part of the USSR starting in nineteen forty after some shit got annexed from Romania during Operation Barbarossa. They were like, we're fucking taking Moldova back whatever. So that's probably where she starts off digging ditches and they're like, look, if you get attacked, throw the hand grenade and run, which is better than go attack the Germans. All we have for you is a hand grenade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, reminds me of an apocryphal story. I don't think it's a poker fule. It's probably a true story from one of these accounts that I read in which the Red Army was told one division was told you must cross this river and the commander reported back that a significant number of the troops under his command couldn't swim, and they're like, do it anyway, and so, you know, they reported back, we lost a third of our men crossing the river. And now what like that sort of insanity was reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is. I've read accounts of people who had to do that kind of shit, But you know, this wasn't as bad. Soon her unit is overwhelmed by the blitz Creek and she does get her first rifle, and she gets it because the guy next to her dies. Is the most likely version of this story. One version is that he's like, take this young padawan and go forth and kill Nazis. You know, probably not without the without the cultural reference, unless he was a time traveler who unfortunately died at the front on the Eastern Front. Maybe if out he in the course of the war with a Mozona gaunt. I'm not sure so. And I will say this man who died and gave her a rifle just for the assist is one of the most successful anti fascists in history.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it isn't what you do, but what you leave behind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you set up for someone else to do, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Her first two kills are two Romanian fascists and rapid succession at long distance. This becomes her signature move is two quick kills before retreating to cover. Whereas a lot of snipers like pop up, shoot one and pop down. She's like pop up, shoot two, and pop down. And she doesn't work alone. She works with a team of snipers and they basically will just like go set up in the woods, kill a couple Nazis, then move to a new location. At the start of the war, she's racking up ten kills a day by doing this. She's a badass counter sniper. She ends up sent on all the most dangerous missions. Anytime there's like, oh fuck, we need to get the sniper taken care of, right, And so these are duels basically, and there are duels of who can sit still the longest and when the moment is perfect, hours or days later, immediately kill the other person. And she wins every single time, thirty six times in total. One of these duels lasted three days, and supposedly she didn't eat or drink when she was on these missions. I don't actually believe that. I just I don't think that someone sat still for three days and didn't drink water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the amount of psychological tension and self discipline to be able to do even what she was able to do to stay still for that sort of thing, oh yeah, hard to fathom. Like, I mean, how many of us can sit still long enough through a one minute short on YouTube anymore. And she's in the field for three days with a rifle, waiting for someone to try to kill her on a interestingly competition event that includes a part time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, it is like and if someone yeah, like, she was probably shitting and pissing herself right hard. She's just like, yeah, because you are waiting for the other person to flinch. You are waiting for the other person to move and give away their position, you know roughly where they are. And after three days she says, the hardest thing she ever did in her life. You know, after three days, hey moved and she shot him.
Speaker 2: You know, either way, for anyone that's ever actually done anything in terms of just field exercise, a person at one hundred yards one hundred meters same thing equivalent for this that doesn't want to be seen won't be seen. People in a forest environment. In the right environment, you can disappear like a ghost, but movement immediately attracts the eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. She's also using a Mozonna Gaunt, much like Simo before her, but hers is a scope. She uses a four x scope. I believe that I think she didn't use a helmet. I think a helmet like exposed her too much. It had her too high up, it made her too visible. She has a lot of head injuries, so it is, but she survives, so who knows.
Speaker 2: Helmets are also really difficult with the scope and stuff. If you're shooting a ninety one out with a scope, you can use a helmet, but it's really in the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it makes sense. She also has this habit of getting hit in the face with mortars and trapnel and shit a lot. A total of four times, I think three of the times her head injuries, and in one of the times is an injury that I don't know what is. She gets really nasty concussions. She also gets promoted a lot. These are the two things that she's good at, well three things. She's very good at killing Nazis, she's very good at getting hit in the head, and she's surviving getting hit in the head is a better way to phrase it. And getting promoted up through the ranks mostly the I don't know what she ends up at as like a G lieutenant or something, but mostly the like not commissioned officer ranks. The Nazis reach Odessa and she's fighting them. The Romanian army reaches Odessa and the Soviets fight like hell to stop them. It took seventy three days for the invaders to take the city. The invaders lost twice as many people as the Red Army did defending it, even though the Reds were outnumbered five to one. In seventy five days, she killed at least one hundred and eighty seven fascists, and at this point she is more successful than any sniper in American history, including to the modern day. And this is not where she stops. What we already said three on nine is where she stops. Stopping the Nazis is like more important than it's possible to say. When the Romanian fascists take Odessa, there's the nineteen twenty one Odessa massacre where upwards of one hundred thousand, one hundred thousand Ukrainian Jews are murdered, and the Red Army does, however, successfully evacuate one hundred thousand people out of the city, including Jews, and helps get people away. She and her unit withdraw. They go to Sevastopool next, which is a city on the support city on the Black Seat. It's the largest city in Crimea. And this is part of where the current Ukrainian conflict is happening, where it's part of Ukraine, but Russia's like noah, it's ours, it used to be ours, fuck you or whatever. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know the stuff happening today has a direct line to not long ago. These things all linger on on, I know.
Speaker 1: And it's so interesting too, because like whenever I read about like cool Soviet it's like at least half the time they're Ukrainians or even the cool nineteenth century like Russians, Like I mean, like, oh right, this is you know, Ukraine and Russia were like culturally and geographically distinct, but not completely. You know, they weren't separate. It was almost maybe it was like being from the south versus being from the north.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, no, totally. And it's like and it's one of those places that's a crucible over and over again where I think it was a Dan Carlin that used this phrase, but like double victim, they're like they get it from both sides in certain circumstances, and it makes a different place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, But you know what else makes a lot of sense taking advantage of these sweet sweet deals to spend your money, not on things that could help you survive the coming crisis, not on your friends go fund me so that they don't lose their house, but instead whatever we're advertising. Eh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to buy food from as far away as possible, so that I know that it came from me with a truck and using a lot of diesel fuel. That's one way to I think makes a lot of sense as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Climate accelerationism, Yeah, I mean that's our motto. Yeah, and we're back and I'm continuing to find out how far I can push certain types of things. So she fights in the siege of Sevastopol, where this is probably where she does most of her counter sniping. Is storying this siege at this point, there's this story where she falls in love with a fellow sniper and him Alexey Kitsenka, and she gets married during the siege, and then he dies and it's tragic, you know, and it's a tragic thing. She's so heartbroken. She never marries again. This probably didn't happen. She probably didn't marry this guy. She doesn't mention him in her autobiography. And also there's a bunch of parallels to another Soviet war hero, a lady. We'll talk about about this exact same like tragic death, woman mourning in the front lines thing. Maybe she did, maybe she married this guy. I don't know rip either way, this dude died, Stop shooting Nazis. He's cool people in my book. But so Vastpool goes really badly for well again, everyone but the Russians in particular. The city actually holds for the first major attack, so and the Soviets launching amphibious landing to leave the siege. But then the siege continues and Germany just bombs the ever loving shit out of the city. Eleven buildings are left standing in this city by the end of the fucking siege.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny about that is they found this out at Stalingrad as well, that the bombing was actually counterproductive because it provided the perfect environment. I mean, it sounds terrible and the city's gone. It makes it more defensible. It also makes us prime place to be a sniper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh interesting, all the ruins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the Stallingrat was called the War of the Rats because everyone was crawling through what was left, and the concealment and cover was immense better than if the buildings were intact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, war is something that I hope I managed to successfully avoid my whole life. So Woodmiller says, of the time we mowed down hitlerrites like ripe grain, which is what she uses a set of Nazis every time I've seen it. At least she was given an award for having killed two hundred and fifty seven people, and her response was I'll get more. The Germans wanted her to switch sides. They are terrified of her. They're like driving around with megaphones being like Ludmila pavel Chenko. Come over to us. We'll give you chocolate. I'm not making that part up and make you a German officer.
Speaker 2: We have chocolate, we have amphetamines. Come on over.
Speaker 1: I know for some reason this didn't work. I'm I mean, must have been pretty mediocre chocolate.
Speaker 2: Actually, scho Co cola is pretty good.
Speaker 1: But hey, okay, okay, Well she's just really committed.
Speaker 2: Then was speaks to her dedication that she was not turning sides for Schoco Cola.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the end of her time in that siege, she'd killed three hundred and nine Nazis. Supposedly. I have not seen a direct quote from this. I think this particul killed quote as apocryphal, but this concept is absolutely what she believed. She was asked if she's felt bad about killing so many people, she said, I didn't kill people. I killed Nazis, which is the comparison to like Simo, where he was like, I did what I had to do, you know, and he like Now She's like, fuck these Nazis, which is legit. That's how I would feel, she probably said. Hitler writes if she said this quote at all, but I do have direct quotes from her about it, like the only feeling I have is the great satisfaction a hunter feels when he has killed a beast of prey or another quote. Every German who remains alive will kill women, children, and old folks. Dead Germans are harmless. Therefore, if I kill a German, I am saving lives.
Speaker 2: And she's not wrong if that's if that quote is true. That was legitimately correct at the time, right, I mean every piece of ground, as you said that they that they acquired more people were going to gas chambers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's just and that one we do have. I think she said that to the US media.
Speaker 3: So she was.
Speaker 1: Wounded by shrapnel from a mortar again. This is her fourth injury, and it takes her out of the fight. But she's really fucking important to the Soviets at this point. She's one of the best snipers in history, and she's really good propaganda. So they get her out through the siege lines and a submarine. I want to watch. I know there's a movie about the siege of Sebasspol that she's in, but I haven't seen it. I just want to watch the movie about the person who's like sneaking in in a fucking submarine to go rescue this lady and this probably saves her life. Her entire rifle division, the twenty fifth was wiped out during the siege, including the man that she may or may not have been married to. After that, she's not sent back to the front. She's sent around as a propagandist. She meets Stalin and like the I think the only thing she said about it was like, he's not as tall as I would have thought. Apparently he's kind of short. I think he's like her height. I'm not actually sure. I'm sure someone knows.
Speaker 3: Incredibly base her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At this point, she gets the name Lady Death, or maybe she had it already. I love how everyone is like the enemy gave her the name Lady Death, much like they gave Simo the name the White Death. I think her fucking handlers gave her that name. And is there my guest her name then, Lady Death? Yeah no, I don't think.
Speaker 3: So, so shut the fuck up, haters.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would guess that the Nazis probably called her that bitch who keeps shooting Nazis, which is like the second best name you could possibly have, or like subtitle, you know, yeah, subtitle.
Speaker 3: I would agree.
Speaker 1: I would agree.
Speaker 2: I actually wonder what their slur was for her. I've never heard it, but I'm sure it wasn't really really nice.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it wasn't very nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was probably kind of mean. Yeah, like something you might read on four.
Speaker 1: Chune, right, Yeah, that what the Nazis are so up I can't even sentence. So she's now a propagandist. She's not really excited about this role, but she does what she has to do. At this point, the US is dragging its heels. We're involved in the Pacific theater, but we're staying out of Europe. It's too messy. I guess someone knows, and I don't know Lady Death is I mean, I guess they haven't attacked us basically, and there isn't the political will to go have half a million people dying, which is what ends up happening. So Lady Death goes off to the US to meet with the Roosevelts to convince the US to stop being chicken shit and start fighting Nazis. It's hard to imagine this brief period where the US and the USSR buds, but the US is like sending a ton of weapons and shit at this point, right, And she is the first Soviet citizen received by a US president, and she becomes friends with the first Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, and by becomes friends with I mean probably had romantic and or sexual RelA relations with because you know, Eleanor Res Roosevelt was gay as hell.
Speaker 2: I have to admit I did not know that. But this tracks, it tracks, and when you say it, I didn't, I feel bad that I didn't know that. Actually, that's that's that's important.
Speaker 3: Well, everybody's a little gay magpie. But what are we talking to from here?
Speaker 1: So she's bisexual? Yeah, and rather she exists before any of these definitions have any meaningful sense. But the longest romantic relationship of her life is not with her husband. It is with a woman we're going to talk about. And now we're going to just completely go away from Russia and talk about gay presidents, or rather gay first ladies. Because Sophie, do you think we should rename this podcast ADHD History with Margaret and then end that We'll just end the title with like dot dot dot because it like as if we trailed away while we were in the busy middle of titling. It sure excellent, Okay, cool.
Speaker 3: And unless you change your mind about five minutes to have an new titter for the podcast, could happen?
Speaker 1: Wait what was the other one? Oh yeah, no, yeah, totally yeah.
Speaker 2: What an amazing woman though, and like rack up three hundred and nine Nazi kills and then go over the United States and then.
Speaker 1: You know, fuck the president's wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean Roosevelt. I do we use that word? I mean cockt Roosevelt right in the most awesome way, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like I never used the word cook as like an insult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's in the.
Speaker 1: Script he was.
Speaker 2: Maybe he was into it.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, but I also don't care. And we'll talk about that. We'll talk about why. Like I mean, he's not even whatever. He's as far as presidents go, he's not on the worst list.
Speaker 2: This must have been kept incredibly quiet, though, because all of the enemies would have used this to their propaganda advantage, and that we haven't heard this as common knowledge is indicative of it didn't get out.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll talk about the history of it too, okay. So Eleanor Roosevelt was the first Lady of the Ust in World War Two. She was a prolific letter writer, fortunately for gay history, because she wrote thousands of letters to her main lover, a woman named Laurena Haycock, who goes by Hick Hick. I just looked up the etymology for fun. It's a man's nickname, sometimes short for Richard, but at this point it is already been used as slang for provincial and backwater. So she is from a real blue, blue collar rural background. So it's kind of a power move of a nickname to go by Hick. She is the first woman to have a byeline on the front page of the New York Times or by a different source, to be have a byline in the New York Times at all. She was the most famous woman journalist of her era. And she I mean, she fucking boostrapped herself. She was the daughter of an itinerant butter maker, and she just worked really fucking hard at journalism and managed to get herself working for the Associated Press. And just when she'd finally found found her way out of cover women's issues, they're like, hey, do you want to go cover the first lady Eleanor Roosevelt. And there's two versions of this story. One is she's mad about it and she's like, no way, I just got myself out of women's work. And the other is that after her first interview with Eleanor Roosevelt, she's like, oh, yeah, no, you should assigned me. You should assigned me full time to this lady.
Speaker 2: This is very important and I have many studies to be done.
Speaker 1: Yes, Eleanor Roosevelt is interesting for her own right. She drafted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. She was the first US delegate to the UN. She campaigned for civil rights for black people in the US. She was basically a die hard progressive and feminist. She was also the longest serving first Lady of the United States, and she pretty much did her husband's campaigning for him since she'd lost since he'd lost the use of his legs, probably due to polio. And you know, we lived in an enable a society then and we live in enable ast society now. During the Great Depression, she set up this like weird, oddly social, like market socialist town in West Virginia for miners who'd been blacklisted for union organizing, where she, like the government bought everyone houses and paid for things and then was like, okay, now go forth and be economically useful.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: She banned mail reporters from attending her press conferences to give more opportunities to women reporters. She tried to go to Europe to volunteer for the Red Cross during World War Two. Eventually she listened to reason, which was that if you're captured as a pow and you're the first Lady of the United States, is going to fuck up the war, you.
Speaker 2: Know, kind of a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I hate when women like can't go do the exciting thing because of like rules. But I'm actually that makes sense. It makes sense that she didn't go do it right, but she wanted to. The spirit was there. She spent the war trying to get the US to let in more refugees, including Jewish refugees from Europe. Her greatest regret on her deathbed was that she hadn't succeeded in forcing the US to accept basically all the Jews who were coming. And this is particularly interesting because she started off her political career as basically as an anti Semite. Specifically, she fell for the association of Jews with like evil, capitalist wealth or whatever. So she definitely wasn't perfect and there's a lot of myth making going on, but like, she's interesting, and she does not like her marriage to Franklin Roosevelt, the guy everyone calls FDR because he lives in the shadow of Theodore Roosevelt, who is his like fifth cousin once removed or something. Which do you know Eleanor Roosevelt's maiden name? No, I do not, but what is it Roosevelt?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she is the niece question mark. Okay, so this is interesting. She is the niece of Theodore Roosevelt and she marries her fifth cousin, and fifth cousin is far away. That like, no one knows who your fifth cousin is unless you're royalty, unless you are like American plutocrat royalty or traditional royalty, you don't know who your fifth cousins are. There's actually nothing wrong. I'm gonna someone's gonna edit what I was about to say and make it sound real bad. But whatever, there's nothing wrong with marrying your fifth cousin. No one knows who their fifth cousins are. That said, it's kind of funny that she managed to pull a feminism. She got to keep her maid a name, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting too, So this is right, fifth cousin is quite separated, and it's not like it might be fourth cousin I'm bad at But it's not like Iceland where you need a dating app to make sure you're not related. On top of that, it's interesting to also note just how much of the power brokerage this country's always been under for how long it has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, yeah, that's like, honestly, my only problem with this is that it's like, God, I hate that there's like royal families in the United States, you know. I mean, I remember, like, my mom voted for Clinton in twenty sixteen, but she didn't vote for in the primary because she just was like, we shouldn't have fucking royal families. She probably didn't cuss, we just shouldn't have royal families in the United States, you know. Anyway, So while she'd been pregnant, she caught her husband cheating on her, and she decided to just not forgive him. She also decided to stick around with the marriage, should not fuck up his career. So they were married, but they weren't together. Yeah, she might have had an affair with her her bodyguard. I don't know as much about that, but she had a passionate She was passionately in love with Hick, the journalist designed to cover her. Soon the two are going on all kinds of multiple month vacations around the world together. Hick moves into the White House, leaving the Associated Press and getting government jobs instead. They write each other letters daily, sometimes twice a day. There are more than three thousand letters that archives have between the two of them over the course of their twenty nine year relationship. When the letters became unsealed in nineteen seventy nine. They're full of quotes that say things like I wish I could lie down beside you tonight and take you in my arms. The New York Times headline was Letters by Eleanor Roosevelt detail friendship with Lorraina. Haycock. Ah.
Speaker 2: So even when this became possible to be public knowledge, of course it was downplayed and to turned into something other than it was, not to let it be the actual liberating moments it really really really.
Speaker 1: Was, yeah, exactly. Hick gave her a ring, which she wore at the inauguration. She wrote, Hick, Darling, Oh, I want to put my arms around you. I ache to hold you close. Your ring is a great comfort. I look at it and think she does love me, or I wouldn't be wearing it. Eleanor kept a photo of Hicck in her study and kissed it every morning and night because they're just, you know, historically close friends.
Speaker 2: This is really sweet, actually kind of, I mean it is. First I didn't know about this. This should be common not either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, and one version I've read is that Hicks who convinced Eleanor to get over her anti semitism, not that Hick was Jewish, but that she just wasn't a piece of shit, you know, And she's like, Hey, I found a hole in your fucking politics. We should talk about this, you know. They co wrote a book together called Ladies of Courage that's a tribute to strong women in history. Eleanor Roosevelt surrounded herself with lesbians. She cohabitated with like I think two lesbian couples for like thirty years, and there were rumors but nothing more about any of this while she was alive. Her son, when the letters were unsealed in the late seventies, he was like, oh no, this is like because she like grew up reading Jane Austen. That's why she writes like that.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine being in the upper Echelonza Garment at this time and knowing this and the people that were trying to keep this under wraps. It must have been quite the challenge the fact that we the fact that this isn't common knowledge now, Like I said, embarrassed that that's not the case. Yeah, imagine back in forty four when Hitler's throwing every slurry can at FDR, et cetera, and this isn't in the.
Speaker 1: Open yeah, no, and it gets into this, Okay, it ties into this even deeper history. She is not the first lesbian first Lady of the United States of America. The first one that we know about was a woman named Rose Cleveland, who was actually not married to Grover Cleveland. Grover Cleveland had been single when he was elected and US, I don't know if it's law or established custom, is that a family member comes in as first lady. So his sister, Rose Cleveland serves as first Lady until eventually he marries his fucking ward. Because it's the nineteenth century, he's a creep. Rose's nickname as a kid was Johnny. She eventually moved to Italy with a lady named Evangeline to spend the rest of their lives together. In their love letters, Evangeline called Rose my Viking, and their love was accepted because there wasn't The word for lesbian isn't at this point, and romantic friendships between upper class white women in the United States, these are fairly common. Sometimes it was sexual, sometimes it was just a way to carve out some freedom and have women to hang out with. And this historically close friends thing is really messy because it was actually super normal. It just lesbian romantic relationships, whether they fucked or not, were super normal and they just weren't acknowledged. That's the best I can figure out. And I don't know, because you're right, Hitler, absolutely. I mean, at this point, he's murdering lesbians by the Midt fourty, like, he's clearly aware of the Scissor brigade and he wants to kill them all and so like, so you're right, he's not leading with that and so. But to Rose's rest of her life, they moved to Italy and they organized relief efforts during World War One for refugees, and then Rose died of the Spanish flu at age seventy two. Evangeline wrote a book about Tuscany and then dedicate it to Rose, and they were buried side by side under matching gravestones in Italy. You can see a photo of it. It's really sweet. Both of these first women were revealed only years later by archivists, and in both cases, so many people tried to suppress the letters. So many people were like, it is our job to make sure that these archives never come out, you know, which is the opposite of a historian's job. If you're listening now, and you think I should suppress this, you're wrong. As a tangential example of that, one of the social history archives, I'm not going to name it, no whatever, a social history archive, and this is this is a thing I got told in person, and so it has all of this information about Dutch leftists joining the Nazis, including Dutch anarchists joining the Nazis because you know, they hated the Dutch government. When the Nazis came in, a bunch of leftists became fucking Nazis, right, And a lot of historian and a lot of archivists didn't want that information to get out because it looks really bad for the left, and fuck that. Our job as historians is to I'm not a historian. My job is to tell stories out of the shit I find. But like you know, anyway, whatever, I'm annoyed by it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not to cross wires. But one of the things that we say in TST is that which should be destroyed, that which would be destroyed by the truth, should not be spared its demise. And I agree with that one hundred percent. The truth is always the most important thing to figure out, and there's covering things up to change the narrative is doing a disservice not only to people in history, but the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah totally. And if if my like ideological positions can't handle the truth, I'll just change my ideal logical.
Speaker 2: Ping and I'd like them to get destroyed, right actually absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So anyway, the archive is burying this lesbian history, and it makes me think about like how much of how much of our history is actually buried, not just as like the love that can't speak its name, but a love that did speak its name, like like these women were together, right, and then historians and archivists and like publicists and estates of the family just actively burying the information, like how many gay journals were just burned by the family as soon as they were found.
Speaker 2: You know, this is something I refer to on Enrange's intentionally induced amnesia. And there's so many instances I've run into this one blows my mind. There's been a few that just like, how is this not something that's like not only is it not well known? How is it not in just like ninth grade history books, for example, that has.
Speaker 1: Been left totally.
Speaker 2: Out of a historical narrative and it's because there was a vested interests and not make sure it wasn't there. Yeah, that's dangerous.
Speaker 1: And we've had like a decade or two of people actually starting to say the truth, and now already the reaction is coming in and being like, we can't talk about the fact that people historically it touched the tips of their penises together. However, gay menosex, I don't know, Well.
Speaker 2: That destroys the earth on the planet. It's like Ghostbusters and you cross the streams.
Speaker 1: Oh that makes sense. Actually, yeah, no, totally. But as for Lude Miller and Eleanor Roosevelt, we're going to talk about them as well as a high femme fighting ace with the most combat kills in the sky of any woman in history on Wednesday. I like that. I like that.
Speaker 2: Thanks Thanks women launching bullets in the Nazis Yeah, just tugs up my heart strings.
Speaker 1: I know it's just beautiful. But if people want to see you launch bullets in the ballistic cell also whatever else you want to plug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you can find me at range dot tv, which is a where you can find all my decentralized distribution points, completely crowdfunded, no sponsors, no overlords, and so it's completely Hopefully some of you out there haven't seen it, check it out and like it, and if you really like it, support the effort, because in Range has strangely becomes sort of I guess edutainment, but a movement in a way. So appreciate everyone out there that's keep into the live.
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah, I want to plug. Even this morning, I was like, I know what I'm going to plug today, but now I don't know, So go oh, I have a stubsack? What I have a substack? We were almost there?
Speaker 3: Was there?
Speaker 1: All right? Yes, I write a newsletter. Today's, for example, was about my advice for writing fiction in the End Times, and it's my advice for new writers. And you can find it if you google Margaret Killjoy substack, or if you're the weirdo who types r l's into the bar, it's Margaret Kiljoy dot substack dot. I assume Colm, Sophie, what do you got?
Speaker 3: Listen to sad Oligarch. It's a series hosted by j Kanrahan or.
Speaker 1: Cools of If you like Russia history, if.
Speaker 3: You're wondering why these uh Rich Russian guys keep falling out of the sky.
Speaker 1: Check it out. Is there gonna be one about the Russian that just fell on the plane? Yes? Hell yeah, See you all Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 3: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts and cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.