Speaker 1: Like adding length to create a championship course is just so backwards, you know, like to difficulty all does it just favors the long hitters more and more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the places where it makes sense. To do that is to do it, is to do it where you know there's a lot already a long, difficult hole and it's already a three shot hole for somebody. You know, adding forty yards to a three hundred and fifty yard hold only makes a medium, you know, part four that is impossible for the average guy to get to regularly, and still a wedge for the better player. I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset when I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in.
Speaker 1: A bright egg Frida Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, fridagg, Frid Egg Egg, Frida Egg, bride egg.
Speaker 2: Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to another episode of the Frida Egg Podcast. Today we're joined by Mike Devrees, one of today's forefront architects. He's designed great golf courses such as Cape Wickham, Kingsley Club, gray Well wells and also some some nice public courses such as Pilgrim's Run, and also done some very high profile restorations such as the Meadow Club out in San Francisco area. Mike, welcome on.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate it. Looking forward to being a part of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it'll be it'll be fun to talk architecture. These conversations always get into deep and dark rabbit holes.
Speaker 2: Well that's good. It's a passion that I've grown up with since I was a kid, and I'm just lucky I get to do it every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's usually how I like to start these is. I'm always curious about how you got in and to architecture and when you knew that you wanted to be an architect. So you've had this passion since you were a kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My grandfather taught me the game when I was six or eight years old, and so I was I just was immediately attracted to golf. It was something that I did with my maternal grandparents and an uncle who was a really good player. He was a scratch player, and so I would hit balls in the front yard. That was the first kind of thing that we did. And then I would follow them around and wherever my my uncle would finish near the green, I would like put my ball down and chip or putt or whatever he was doing, and you know, try and do what he did. And I would follow them for their lessons or anything like that. And then there was a little nine hole golf course near me, Frankfurt Golf Club, where ultimately they would, you know, someone would drop me off and I'd play nine holes with whoever was available. And then when I was a little older, my my grandparents were members at Crystal Down, so I was fortunate to be near that and to experience that from an early age. And certainly that's one of the great courses in the world, and I was able to you know, learn about golf there. And then when Fred Muller came in the pro at the Downs, a longtime pro there, he's been there forty one years now. I started working for Fred in the pro shop when I was fourteen, and then a couple of years later I was working in the pro shop and on the grounds crew during the week. So every day of the summer I was I was on the golf course doing something, whether that was working, you know, moving bags or getting carts or mowing greens and and or going back and you know, playing golf and then late afternoon or something. So it was something that was really quite passionate. And when I was seventeen, I kind of figured out, you know, breaking bunkers. I kind of figured out that crystal downs was a lot more special than just the regular Joe blow Muni or whatever. Then I played back in Grand Rapids where I grew up, you know, went to school and stuff, and so I just, you know, it was always there. It was always something that I really really enjoyed, and it was something that was you know, part of my life and my family and all of that. And then when I finished undergrad, I was a business major and I did something else, worked for Herman Sporting Goods and figured out their mission in life and mind were kind of going an opposite direct, and I was getting married back up in Frankfurt. I came back to the golf course, did some projects on the golf course for the superintendent and figured out that's really what I wanted to do. And Tom Doak at that time was building high point in his first solo design. And we're in Traverse City and my former boss on the grounds crew at the Downs was the project manager. So I went over there and I met Tom, and when I got back from camping from my honeymoon, I went and helped them finish and clean up High Point, and then worked with Tom for about two and a half years on a couple of different projects down in Myrtle Beach, the Heathland's course at the Legends Complex, and then I came back up to Michigan in the Black Forest golf Course near Gaillard. I ran that project for him, and then we didn't have another project to go to and that's when I went back to school and I got my master's in Landscape architecture from University of Michigan. And then I've worked for uh for Tom Bosio's group. They needed somebody on a couple of projects as a design associate, and so I did that for about fifteen months out in in Hudson at Hudson National in New York and the Cordier Valley Club in Vale, Colorado. And then since then I've came back to Michigan and I've been doing my own stuff for the last twenty plus years.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's UH, that's cool. You got to I've heard a lot of stories. I've been meaning to get up to Black Forest. And you know, when you look back at at the crew that you guys had there, it was it was Tom, yourself and and Gil Hands and I uh, I mean to talk about three pretty impressive guys for a three man crew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were a few other helpers too, but but it was, it was, it was. It was a great a great product. It was super fun. All we you know, we were just talking about golf shots all the time, and we were all young and we're all not very different in age and things, and so uh it was a great opportunity just to talk about, you know, what we were trying to do and how to how to best make it work and and uh sometimes we try something and just you know, see how it would work and it would evolve into something else. And so you know, that was a really awesome experience. And you know, it was a you know, their lifelong friends and and guys that you you know, they're everybody's doing really good work still to this day and try and stuff, and so it was it was quite a good experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I've always I'm always curious about when you're on site, what you guys are doing on the downtime. I mean, is it is it just all golf all the time?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, Well, on site, there's not much downtime. You're you know, you're building and when you have good weather. You know, it depends where you're at in the country, but if you're in the north, you know, you're building whatever you can build during that time frame. So there isn't a lot of downtime. You're on site, you know, all day you're not playing golf, you're but you're talking about golf, or you're playing a little dirt golf, just hitting shots here and there just to sort of get a feel for something maybe. So uh, it's it's you're you're constantly, you know, I mean still to this day, constantly thinking about what the shots would be when you're building in the dirt, or how that's working, or what if we shifted this or move this, and you know, how do you how do you deal with you know, you come up you always run into stuff, whether it's a new course or or an old course. You know, old courses when you're doing renovation or restoration type work, you run into old infrastructure. You know, a lot of stuff underground whether that's old irrigation drainage. It could be drainage that's not even from the golf course. It could be an old stone drain from a farm one hundred and fifty years ago or something, and it's probably in water. So there's a lot of things that are that are really different and you have to you know, I think all the above mentioned guys, you know, Tom Gill, myself, Ben and Bill, you know, we're we're in the field because we believe that's important to be able to make those decisions, uh, and and to do that in a you know, in a real time manner, and to sort of be able to assess it and think about, you know, what's the best solution for that, what's the most practical way to do that?
Speaker 1: I imagine. I know one of your courses, Gray Walls, is way up in the upper Peninsula of Michigan, and like you mentioned it, you know, with the northern the time constraints. Did you do you feel a little bit more pressure when you're designing a course in an area that that only has a you know, a finite amount of time when you can really moved dirt around, and that I'm really curious about that project in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we had a we had a great team that was involved there. So we had a superintendent Pitchevrette who ran the project for the club. And they haven't they haven't. They hadn't existing golf course eighteen holes nine holes that had been built in twenty six by William Langford, which is really good, and then forty years later they added another nine holes in the midst with Gil came in and did that, not following Langord's original routing, but then somewhat close, you know, in the same area. Some of the some of the land had been used for some housing and things like that, so he couldn't use it all or follow follow Languorg's routing in that golf course. They were in Marquette, Michigan. They were doing thirty five to four thousand rounds a year on that. Yeah, very he plays and and they love their golf and they have really long days in the summer and so they they play and play and play and play as much as they can. So, you know, they they're very active people in the you know, all seasons up there, they're outdoors and because they have such long daylight, they'll do they have they have men's and women's leagues and things and within the club, and they'll do two hundred. They'll have two hundreds around after five o'clock at night, just because you know, people will work the whole day and then they'll go out and play their league. Yeah, so it's it's busy. We call it the factory short but we so the Gray Walls project, we had Peachevrett, he was he ran, he was sort of the project manager for the club. And then we had a company out of Northernes, out of Ashland, Wisconsin, Northern Wisconsin called Northern Clearing, and they're really experienced with moving big piles of dirt rock. They do a lot of things involved with power lines and you know, clearing in the middle of nowhere, and so it was excellent to have them as a team. They also they built about twenty or thirty golf courses also, so they have a whole other division that deals with golf. So we had guys that were experienced and knew what was going on there. And then we had an irrigation guy out of Minnesota, See who was really phenomenal. So there were a lot of pieces that had to go together. And you're right, it's a short season and you can get hit with weather and you want to get grass in the ground and planted, and so it was it was fairly accelerated that way. We did clearing late fall in the early spring, and then really the construction was done in one season, which is pretty amazing considering it's a very rugged site. But we didn't We worked around the rock that was there and we have a lot of really good sand on site, so the soils are really quite excellent, good, good growing medium. And superintendent that's there now, Craig Moore was He took care of the the old golf course when we were building, and he also had worked at the Kingsley Club under Dan Lucas for a number of years, so he's a very very good superintendent and he's he's he Pete. When Pete Chevrett left, Craig took over the came back up to Marquette and has been a superintendent there really almost from day one. So really it's a good arrangement and they do an excellent job.
Speaker 1: How with whether you're doing a restoration or renovation or building a new course, how important is the relationship and with the super and and really getting them involved.
Speaker 2: It's critical. It's really critical. If you know, if you're constantly button heads with somebody that's going to take care of the golf course, then what you're trying to build is not gonna it's not going to be carried out because you know, they may think, oh, well, you know, I want to do it this way, and that might not that might not be the vision that's you know, you're sort of portraying for the golf course. So you know, getting to know that person and you know, working with them on a day to day basis and all that's really important one so that you can kind of help to explain what you're trying to achieve and what you're trying to do as well as knowing that then they're going to be able to take that direction and they're gonna they're going to maintain it the way that you would like it to be maintained and if they have a question, they'll call you and talk to you about it. So it's it's really it's really important. I think it leads to a better product and it and then you know, it's a team job. Every job is, you know, there's a big team. It's not just me. There's a lot of people that are involved with the project, and and that person's really critical.
Speaker 1: It's I imagine, do you keep in touch with your old projects and your you know, the superintendents from the old projects with it with some sort of regularity.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, fairly, fairly, fairly often depends on the situation, you know, not as much as you'd like. You gotta gotta do other you gotta do new stuff. You gotta do new work. You gotta keep paying the bills. So yeah, but but yeah, it's important to you know, Hey, what's what's happening. How's it going. Kingsley Club is twenty minutes from my house, so you know, I'm there a lot and uh and it's a special place. It was really the first completely solo job that I did, so you know, it's a wonderful, amazing golf course. The ownership has been fantastic. The superintendent, Dan Lucas, has been there from the beginning and built a golf course with me. So so we see each other regularly. If I'm in town and i'm you know, I'm going to play a game or something, I'm probably going out there and that, you know, so we're always seeing stuff and this and that and trying to make sure that that we're staying you know, on track with stuff. And then ed Walker, the owner, has been fantastic and you know, he has things about want to improve or you know, change this or that, little bits, you know, do we need to add a bunker here or there or something. They've added some cabins over the years and things like that. So so he's always, uh, you know, very involved and has been from the beginning. And that's that's been a great relationship. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So one of our listeners, Tim Ragons, asks about the process of laying out Kingsley Club. But I'm just uh, and speaking more generally, how do you go about routing a golf course once you once you win a project and figuring out how the how the holes are going to work together and what holes are going to be.
Speaker 2: What I'm well, for me, first of all, you just got to become you know, really familiar with the with the property and you have to figure out what's going on, you know, how do how does the how does it feel on the ground. Can't just you know, I can read couple maps and squiggly lines really well, but every total map I've ever seen also has you know, errors, of it. So so, and there's stuff that's that's on total maps that gives you the general broad thing, but there's always little bits and pieces that you have to be there and in the field to see. So when you're going around and you know, you know that there's a knoll over here or this valley or something like that, and if you're going around and depending on the property, how open it is or how treated it is, et cetera, maybe you're making notes of the transition from maybe this environment to the next environment or wow, there's a really good drove of you know, oak trees or maple trees or pine trees, or maybe there's one there's one big tree there and stuff like that. So you're trying to become really intimate with the property and the land, and you're trying to find golf holes that naturally fit into the land. At least I'm trying to do that. And so, you know, with regards to you know, specifically Kingsley and talking about that the question there. So it was the property had been clear cut about fifteen years before we were outsite, and so there was a lot of regrowth of just a thicket of choke cherry and fire cherry and aspen trees, and it was I mean, you couldn't even walk through lots of it. It was just impenetrable great grouse cover and you know, bird hunting cover. But and then there were a few areas where there were like brambles and you know, more of you know, like wild raspberries or blackberries and stuff like that, and you know, a few trees left over here and there, so you could see some of the stuff, but a lot of the ground you couldn't. So you kind of had there were some trails going through and you had to kind of get used to that and get get a feel for that. And it's it's severe property in areas, and so it was hard to figure some of stuff out. One of the holes that I saw isn't actually a hole on the golf course, but it was a really really cool short par five that play for people that know the golf course. The third hole, the middle of the third hole on the left side of the fairway. If you played a hole from there back across number four and the ridge and number two to where the back te on number six is, that's it's about a five hundred yard hole and it's it's a really cool you know, there's all these ups and downs and you know, little ridges and spots and bowls and things like that, and would have made it really interesting challenging for you know, for a better player to hit it too. But you know, you could plot out three shots and you know, really try and place your ball and get the position and things like that. The only problem with that is it's a great at hole. It just didn't work with anything else and it chopped up a lot of things. So instead, you know, what happened is we had this what I call the South forty, which is that area down there's about forty acres where you have the ridge on number two down to you know where seventy six green and four t and three green are. It's all this big area surround this deep sinkhole in the middle of two, four and six. And so instead of one great hole this par five that we found right away, we have a really really cool little ridge top par three, we have a you know, two par fours, one a little bit longer than the other that tumble and bumble kind of on ground that leaves and gives and leaves you with a shot. But sometimes you're gonna have a blind shot into the green if you go into one of the balls, and sometimes you're gonna see on the top of the ridge. And then five is a paralleling. It's kind of off to the side of this south forty but plays an entirely different opposing par three to number two into a big punch bowl green. And then you have six across and around the deep sinkhole. And then seven leaves that in a in a dramatic fashion with the downhill drive and stuff into an area that is enclosed instead of being totally wide open and seeing all these other holes. So we gave up this one really cool par five, so we got five to six, you know, really good holes out of it because of how we could utilize that land. So that was one of the things that you know, that particular question the guy's asking about laying out Kingsley was trying to figure out how those those puzzle pieces fit together. And that of course any sort of project that you're.
Speaker 1: Doing, so it's you probably walk, so you walk the land and you obviously you see you see it all the time, Like I'm driving down the road and I look and I'm being like, I see. That would be a really great golf hole. Can I imagine that happens with you more so than me. But you walk this land and you identify some of the golf holes you like the most. But you can't be married to him because when when you try and put the hole to puzzle together, you know some of those are going to You're going to lose some of those holes almost all the time.
Speaker 2: Right, Absolutely, you've got to find. To me, it's not about one great hole. It's about the sequence of holes and how holes transition from one to the other. And so one of the things that okay, so kind of figured out the south forty, which is in the corner of four hundred acres, But how do we get to that, or how do we use that as a beginning or ending, or how does that transition with other stuff? Well, the hard part at Kingsley was east of that, east of the east of the front nine is a big wetland down there that isn't easy to work around, doesn't necessarily make for a great call, is environmentally sensitive, So transitioning that way was difficult. Can't go south off the property, can't go west off the property, so you got to go north. And then how do you how do you do that? How do you transition that? And so seven, you know, ultimately ended up being a simple part of that problem because we didn't want to climb seven back up to the tee that that wouldn't make for a very good hole. So leaving the property there was was an easy way to think about it. Eight kind of fell into place because of just really cool ground and a great green site at the base. You know that little raised platform that the green is there. There was a shelf there on that hill and so there was shaping involved, but you know that a lot of that was kind of in place, and the and the big bunker in the middle of the fairway, there was a mound there, and the ridge was there where the what we call the three amigos and the on the drive they were there. So all those kind of tied together, and nine kind of set up so with the par three and having two different angles and stuff, those those areas were just there. All we did is flatten off the tops of those ridges and and little bomps and stuff and made a tea. So that was that was a you know, kind of simple. The hard thing was what how do we how do we get out there, Yeah, you were, how do you lead? And so ultimately that ended up being do we do that in like two holes or do we do it in one? And ultimately it ended up being the first hole, which was a big hole, and and we created the big shelf and the bunkers in the middle, and and you know, works out really well. It's it's intimidating for a lot of for a lot of people are their first thing and they see, wow, that's my drive. But but I think it plays. It actually plays really well, and it doesn't play as difficult if you if you don't get too aggressive with it, if you're just like an average player. You know, if you just hit a regular drive and hit it up there, you have a decent chance. And the and the green is is in a you know, a nice little shelter bowl there, and you can play shots off of the right side, and so there's opportunity there, you know, to start out well, but you can screw it up well too. I did that the other day.
Speaker 4: That's that's the that's the beauty of golf is you know, I think you put yourself out there and you give people the opportunity to screw up.
Speaker 5: Because I we do that.
Speaker 2: We do that pretty easily. We're golfers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something I always it bugs me when I see trees in front of hazard, like trees in front of bunkers. Is on like a short par five is let give people the opportunity to hit themselves in, get themselves into that forty yard away bunker and have that shot, because you know, being in there in two and making a six is like the most frustrating thing if you if you're if you have trees, people are probably just gonna lay up and hit their wedge up there, and it kind of removes the interest, right right. So I think something that from your website that I found interesting was it kind of how you your philosophy on on adding difficulty for the you know, the really good player and especially combating technology and with the modern game and how how it's growing, Like, what are your philosophies in terms of marrying playability with ch unique challenge and interest for the you know, scratch player.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I think you have to give them options. If you give a really good golfer only one option, they they commit on that and and they make that shot because they're good, they're really good. So if you give them three options, all of a sudden, there's a little bit of doubt if I can get ten or fifteen percent, a doubt in the good golfer's mind, they may don't maybe they don't fully commit to that shot, and then they have a tendency to make an error, you know, and then that sort of compounds itself. The technology is out of control, so we won't get into that, but you know, it's hard to it's it's hard to design for that. But I think if you give people options, and you give them variety and diversity, then for the better player, that's more decisions and more complexity, and that gives them a little bit of doubt, and that I think makes it more fun ultimately or more challenging. And for a guy that you know, all he ever does is just bomb a driver and grab a wedge and hit it, which is kind of what the PGA Tours become just because of how technology is. You know, that's not really exciting golf, particularly for the average golfers. And so if you can build in variety and interest and diversity and options, then the average guy who can't depend on hitting it one hundred and eighty or two hundred and twenty or how many yards you know, they're capable of hitting it. They you know, they get themselves into positions and then they have to assess. And if you have a narrow fair way with lots of long rough, you know, they have one option and they just whack it out. But they have they spray the ball, but they get themselves in a bad angle and there's a bunker kind of in their way and they're not really sure. Then the average player that thinks about it but can execute a shot to get into a position that maybe gives him a better opportunity, and he and he does that, then they get a little charge. They get energized about it and it's like, wow, I did that. That was cool. So that's achievement in itself, but it also makes it more interesting and more exciting for every level of player to be able to do something.
Speaker 1: I think it's almost like you give the average player they could be as long as there aren't like trees in their way or they're in really really long rough. It's they feel like they have this They have this illusion of hey, I can hit this shot. If they have a clear shot to the green, you know, there might be a bunker in the way, they might have the worst angle to a green that runs away, but they feel like they have a chance versus you know, a ball rolling into the water, rolling into the trees.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean a lot of that, you know, growing up and playing with my grandfather, and towards the end of his life, he wasn't hitting the driver. He hit his three wood. I don't know why I ever put it back in the bag, because you know, he hits three at least twice on every hole. And then you know he you know, in a long and a long hold, he hit three of those and some sort of chip and run up there in a putt for five more the time. And I, of course would hit it a lot further than he, but i'd be in the weeds or something, you know, when I was a kid, and and I'm out there scrambling and trying to get back and criss crossing all over the place, and you know, I'd make bogue. I'd make double bogey, and he'd make bogey, and you know, let me move on to the next hole. Both guys are crafty, exactly.
Speaker 1: It's how much as an architect, how interesting, how much goes into watching. You know, when you play golf, say with like a wide range of players, how much do you watch the way different players play golf courses and think about that when you're designing.
Speaker 2: Of course, I think about it a lot. And you know, I enjoy playing with a wide variety of players too. I mean it's it's you know, I've gotten I've gotten better over time, probably just because I manage my game better or whatever, and don't get into trouble as much and don't hit it as far as I too. But it's to me, it's interesting to do that. And I'm always interested in in any any other golfers, you know, opinion of what I've built or what they just played, and why and and because every golfer has an opinion, we all know that. And you know, they may not be looking at what I'm looking at, and so I can learn from that. I guess I look at that way. So, for instance, fifteen years ago or so, Pilgrim's Run had been open for you know a couple of years, and my aunt and uncle and cousin who had all played golf, you know, more than they were playing at that time. And this is my uncle that used to be a scratch player, and my aunt had was a decent player at the time, and I used to play golf with her when I was little too, but she hadn't really played much in you know, a while, and my cousin had played something not much recently. Went out to Pilgrim's Run and you know, we had a really good time and my uncle, you know, his game started, you know, coming alive and and he really enjoyed, you know, a couple he's like, oh, I got to try that shot again. You know, that was really cool. So that was exciting. But at the end, I asked my aunt, I said, you know, what did you like? And she said, oh, you don't want to know what. I know what I think, And I said, yeah, I do, because everybody's looking at something different. She said, well, I just like being out there and seeing turkey and deer. It wasn't anything about the golf. She just liked the experience of being out in nature and you know, having a good time with family. So so that's that's entirely valid. Uh that made you know, that may not help me as far as you know how to build a golf hole, but that's important too. You know, A perspective a puller. Yeah, that polar golf experience is important to a lot of a lot of players.
Speaker 1: It's uh, yeah, it's it's perspective because you get wrapped up like I'm a huge golfer and I deep and uh, pretty much every aspect of the game except for equipment, and but I you know, it's always so important to keep the perspective of what the casual golfers out there to do, and especially you know, the one that might only play two three rounds a year, you know, around a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you've done a.
Speaker 1: Pretty extensive a restoration work and you've also you also obviously grew up at Crystal Downs. I'd love to talk a little bit about Golden Age architecture and the influences you've had and kind of who you've who you've taken away a lot of you know, inspiration from I imagine Mackenzie is a huge influence. But curious if if there are any any others.
Speaker 2: Well, Mackenzie and Maxwell, you know, certainly first off, because you know, growing up at Crystal Bounds and we're in there and spending thousands of days on the golf course there, their impact is really you know it's been most influential, but all of those, you know, whether it's Tilling, Hasts, Ross Rayner, McDonald stuff, George Thomas, you know, Harry Cole, thom Simpson, all of those guys did stuff and did stuff at a high level, and you can learn from any of those. So when you're working on a on a project and you're you're sort of part of archeologists and and trying to figure it out and fix you know, maybe some structural problems or something that was changed because of something out of the club's control or the original designers control. A lot of times that leads to you know, a better understanding of that project or or that designer. So to me, that's always really fun and exciting, and it's more more interesting to see what they did with would say limited. I mean, they moved a lot of dirt in some cases. You know McDonald was really good at that. You know, if he wanted something, he would move the end of the world to do that. Whether that was leto you know, they they moved a lot of dirt at the National too, so that sort of stuff wasn't unheard of, but it was unusual at that time. I guess you know, guys were trying to find ways of building and working within the landscape. And I think that's some of the stuff that whether you want to call it minimalism or whatever, you know, that's that's what's driving a lot of the work that I do. And I think that's what's driving a lot of the stuff that uh that Tom Doak and Bill Hans and Bill Cornback Crensch are doing. So, you know, working with that land and finding out how to do that and finding the way that a property as interests and uniqueness and all that that stuff ends up being something that that can be really really good golf and you meet golf. It's not necessarily having to manufacture something all the time. Just try and get the best out of what that piece of ground offers you.
Speaker 1: And I think given the economic state and what happened in the in the eighties, nineties and early two thousands, it makes the most sense economically, certainly it does.
Speaker 2: Economics is always a factor, So you know, trying to do that and being efficient with things, and you know that works. That works at any any time in history. Really, you know, even if even things are flush, you know, why do why do more than you have to to create something. So maybe maybe to you know, have a bigger story or something, but I don't think that's necessary to create good golf.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So for for say a beginner architecture fan, you know, somebody who's just getting into it, and they go play a Golden Age course or or one of your courses or a Tom Doak design or Corn Crunshaw, what are what is something that they can look for around the golf course, like, you know, something to start to take in when they play new golf courses or even playing their own golf course.
Speaker 2: Well, I think for me, one of the things that one of the things that's a big difference for me is, you know, is how is the rhythm and flow of the golf course? So how do you transition? And we talked a little bit about that, you know, and trying to figure out a routing it Kingsley and stuff earlier, but any golf course that's for me that's really really important. And part of that is because I think that that transition if you get off the green and you and you just roll right into the next tee in a in a short and simple sort of fashion, and then all of a sudden, the next hole is presented to you in a good in a good way. Uh, then you know that each hole leads to each other in that transition. Even if you don't have ocean side or you know, some spectacular feature on the property, you've got a solid, really good golf course that ties together. There's a lot of there's a lot of Donald Ross golf courses that you know, we're built in cities or you know, on sort of underscript land that work well in that fashion and that flow together well. And so I think if you think about that, think about, Wow, you know I got off that. You know, it wasn't a very big transition to the next tee and the next The next te presented the next hole to me in a really good way. I kind of I knew what I wanted to do. It gave me, It gave me options, It gave me a good idea of where I should play and how that constantly works throughout the round. You can kind of think of it as you know, the old guys, everybody was walking, they didn't have golf carts, and so maybe part of that, you know why there's better flow and rhythm to those golf courses had to do with you know, they they weren't thinking about Okay, I'm you know, I got golf carts, I got a cart path, I have this, and you know, and that's sort of an element of today's golf. But can you make the golf course walkable too, because that's really the way the game started. And you know, if you're there are people that are hardcore walkers, and I walk, you know, most of the time when I play. But that is a you know, that's sort of a pace of the game. Pace of the game is kind of a human scaled, human paced game. So and if you're you know, on you know, this nice little stroll and you have to be playing golf and it just sort of comes in. But if you've got a bunch of long transitions because you're going through a housing development or something, not that those don't have their place. They do, but how can you how can you minimize those types of things and make it flow better and make it make it, you know, something that someone could walk. So like Gray Walls up in Marquette, it's a pretty severe sight and everything. And the first t is three quarters of a mile from the clubhouse because the clubhouse is part of the the original golf course complex, so they shuttle if you're going to walk, which the golf course is walkable, but they they drive you out in the you know, the limo cart and pick you up after eighteen. But the golf course actually does work fairly well for most of the part. There are some tougher transitions because of elevation, but the golf courses is really a pleasant walk and and gets down and flows together, which is.
Speaker 1: Cool as a as a place I've been dying to get to. This summer was just a lot. Next summer, I think I'm gonna have to get up there. How do you go about something I pay attention to A lot? Is the variety within the course, whether it be you know, the par three is having different you know, different lengths, different shots, different looks. But then also like within the course, you know, how am I am I being asked to hit you know, draws on multiple holes in a row or is there a good blend of fade.
Speaker 5: Holes and draw holes?
Speaker 1: How you know?
Speaker 3: Within that?
Speaker 1: How much do you guys think about that when you're designing.
Speaker 2: I think, well, I think you think about it quite a bit, but I don't think you try and force it either. Yeah, you know the best thing is that you know, this whole fit in here, Yeah it does, and what next sol dude fits there? So you have three holes in a row where you have to hit you know, the Nicholas power fade. Okay, great, that may be the way that it works, but for me, the sequencing is and how they transition is maybe more important. But at length, you do want to have variety within whether you're just thinking about the part threes, the short fors, the medium fours, long furs, the part five. So you want variety within those each of those sub sections, but you also want to have them feel like, you know, they work together on the golf course. And I think that's one of the things when we talk about rhythm and flow. Excuse me, I think you I think you have to look at sections of the golf course might be more difficult just because of the train that they're on or what what it lends itself to. And you may have some other parts of the golf course that maybe are you know, appear to be easier, but you might not necessarily score well there either too. So that's part of the you know, kind of that rhythm of the golf course. And in that round and you can use that to your advantage. So you can have you know, really really tough sections of holes right together, and that could that could be three s fours and fives together, or it could be you know, two long fours or whatever. Those types of things can help, you know, give identity or or something to a golf course. So think about Augusta National an amen corner. So you know the eleven, you know, is a demanding, h you know, long four with water next to the green, and then you've got you know, this short little pitch shot that just seems to kill everybody's round. And then you've got this really wonderful, short, short, short five that provides all different kinds of options things to you. So a lot of variety in their definition. And you know, i'd say twelve and thirteen or two of the great holes in the world. You know that helps, uh, yeah, but you can you can think about that in other ways also, So you know Kingsley, I mean, we have a big tie that opens up and you know a tricky, little, you know, demanding second hole, and then you've got a couple of par fours that have this sort of tumble bumble. So it's not necessarily an easy start, but if you you know, if you do, you know, make a couple of pars, you know, right off the bat, and then you know, you get you know, three pars in a bow or something in the first four holes. You know you've had a really good start, and you know, so things can things can turn up, and you know, sometimes you don't start well. You know, you might get a double bowe in the bowe in the first two hole. I've done that before, and I you know, I've at thirty seven or thirty eight on the front. So you know, then at the rest of the nine, I you know, I did pretty well. So you have opportunities to gain or lose within that and so I think I'm thinking about that a lot. But I'm also trying to provide not necessarily. I guess my philosophy is you like to give someone It might not be an overt you know, draw or fade shot into something, but a certain pin location or from this side of the fairway or that's out of the fairway might that might be a better shot. But that might depend on the player too. Some player might might not like that and might want to try something. You know, if someone is constantly a pader of the ball. You know, they may want to be in a certain position to try something else. Yeah, then you might. Then some other player might, so you got to give them an opportunity to do that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think that's one of the most important things too, is you know, I think there can be a preferred shot shape, but I don't like when design dictates that you have to hit this shot because then you know, the majority of golfers just you can you might not be able to hit that shot in your sol.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I want to get into some listener questions. We got a ton of them, and I think your most acclaimed course and we haven't even touched on it is uh is Cape Wickham down in Australia on King's Island or Tasmania, and uh I wanted to. We had Simon asked about the project kind of what are you most proud of of that design? But then also what did you learn from it and if you would change anything, what would you change?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's a challenge because king Island is remote, but it's really quite accessible. It's only a forty minute flight from Melbourne, so so as far away as it is, you can really get there, and it's it's close to a lot of people, not necessarily for Americans, but for Australians. Uh, it's a it's a very windy site in the middle of the back straight, so it's and it's exposed right on the ocean and really, you know, we had to create a lot of it just to accommodate that. And you know, knowing that it's it's still quite playable. I played it in close to a gale force win and you know, really only lost one ball, and that's because it rolled off of the eighteenth green and I didn't want to go down the bank and try and find it. I think, you know, it was you were able to if you if you didn't try and aggressively attack things, you had an opportunity to play a shot, you know, and keep it low and along the ground and stuff like that. So that was I think that's turned out really, really well, and I'm really excited about that. The artist challenge there, I think is that it's so dramatic. It's the property. It's the most diverse property I've ever seen. It's the most amazing sight I've ever seen for a golf course. Because you're right on the ocean, and you have clip top holes. You have holes that are in dunes with just really unbelievable movement to them. You have holes that are right down on the ocean level, the eleventh holes basically in the ocean. You've got holes that go inland. You've got you've got a you know, a headline that you start out on and you finish on this sandy cove beach the beaches and play, you know, on this on this idyllic sort of lagoon. So you know, think of the Blue Lagoon and you know in the movies and things like that. I mean, it's just an unbelievable spot. And then the kicker is you've got one of the tallest lighthouses in the world, Kate Pick and Whitehouse, which was built in eighteen sixty one, is in It's one hundred and fifty seven feet tall. So it's super dramatic and that could be really overwhelming. And the golf had to be really really good too, you know, not just have is the first thing people do is they get there and they and they go, oh, you know, insert exploitive. So it's incredible. You know, that reaction is good as the pictures are of it. You go there, it's even that much more dramatic. And so with that over with that sort of spectacle overwhelm the design. But people are they're talking about the golf holes and this shot and that shot or whatever, and so you know, that's really exciting.
Speaker 1: I imagine with the holes being so exposed, you have to be really careful on greens, especially with you know, the way people like to get modern green speeds up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we I mean we were very cognizant of that. So the greens for the most part are not you know, super undulating. I mean, there's there's contour on them, but it's also they're all rescue, so they're not going to run as fast on a daily basis as a bent grass green is going to or the greens that are in in the Melbourne area, whether that's Royal or Metropolitan or Victoria, any of those courses. So so it's a little bit different there. But the greens roll through, they're firm, and the benefit of that also is that with this, you know, with all fascue everywhere, the ground game and true links golf really comes to life because when the wind's up, you got to keep that ball down and you've got to have an opportunity to play a little bump and run shots to get them in there. And then if you know, if your ball rolls off, it's not it's not an overly bunker golf course. We don't We didn't really need that from a I didn't really need that from a from a strategy or a you know, just a visual aspect. There's enough visual going on there, so you know, the bunkers are really set up for challenging golfers to hitch hit certain shots or to skirt them, you know, to get a better advantage. But there's a lot of short grass around greens, so if you miss it, if you miss a target, you have opportunities to you know, bump and run the on the ground and the bescue really really works well for that. So and I think that was that's one of the things that's really neat about the golf course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got to get to Australia. I might spend like a month there. There's just so much down there, and especially with the you know, all the new development that's happening down there, and obviously looking at photos of Cape Wickham, it makes you feel like you need to go sooner than later.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, right, isn't that where you're going on your honeymoon?
Speaker 1: I wish I'm going to Saint Lucia, which I didn't think was had any golf but then I found that there is a golf course, so I might have to have to check it out, get some rental CBS. I'm sure it's uh, it's got some some shrunk greens and some overgrown fairways is what I'll get. Well, I guess will happen, but there it might be a pretty good golf course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never know, Yeah, yeah, I know. It's you know, King Island is is amazing. You know, it's a part of the State of Tasmania, which is a state of Australian that they call it the Island State, and you know, King Island is just a smaller aspect of that and halfway between Victoria and the main island of Tasmania. So King Island is is a just an amazing place. You know, it's sort of a throwback in time. The people, they are phenomenal. The dairy industry and you know, the beef and dairy industry is a big factor, the seafood and it's just a really fun, comfortable place to you know, place to be. People are fantastic and relaxed and and you know, we loved it. It was a great family experience because I had the opportunity to bring my family over there. Uh, and they were they were there for My daughter was there for a couple of months, but my wife and son were there for six months during the project and stuff too, So it was it was really neat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it sounds awesome.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be cool to get to bring your family to place like that. We got a question from double J here, and I think it was it's a good one, given your your background with with Crystal Downs and familiarity with Perry Maxwell. If Perry Maxwell was based in Chicago or New York, would he be considered a top five architect? He says rarely mentioned, but his courses flow are terrific.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's a good question. I think the problem with you know, Perry's the time period that he worked, you know, was primarily the Depression where there wasn't much stuff going on. So I think Perry's you know, lack of say, public adoration really has to do with the time period that he worked in versus the work that he did, because his work is phenomenal. Prairie Dunes is unbelievable, and all the courses that he touched on too, that he did little bits and pieces too. He did a lot of the original little tucks and you know, Nips to Augusta National and so a lot of his stuff is still out there. People just don't recognize it certainly. You know, being based in Oklahoma wasn't to his advantage. Yeah, but I think it's you know, it's his recognition from in a public aspect. I think he has more to do with his time period than it does with his location, because he did get around. You know, you think about Harry Cole. You know here in the States, Harry Cole doesn't really get a lot of exposure. But you know, he was in London and he's influenced a lot of guys in the business and did a lot of amazing work, but he's not really recognized here in the US. You know, Alistairs recognized, you know, because we talked about it at Augusta every year, and Cyprus Point obviously in Royal Melbourne, so you know, very high profile golf courses that old excuse excuse, me high profile golf courses that whole tournaments or have held tournaments that Cypress Point was involved with, you know, when being Crosby had the so and and it's you know, it's still just you know, it's it's a legendary place. So I think he may, he may, but I think it's more of the time period.
Speaker 5: That's that's a good point.
Speaker 1: The Great Depression, really, I feel like was a it was a was one of the worst things that happened to golf course architecture because the whole development, the philosophy almost took a hard shift because there is such a dead period and design and and new philosophies came out of you know, when people people almost just started fresh and it was like a whole new thing. When when golf courses started to be built again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, art it's definitely difficult, but there was some great stuff that was done during that time too. So you know, for instance, Prairie Dunes, you know that that first nine holes there, Wilsonian Links course in in North's amazing place. Under totally underrated, I think, oh so under ye, the bet Page courses, you know, so there was there was still some good stuff done well.
Speaker 1: He touched on Langford earlier. He's got to be one of the more underappreciated architects of all time.
Speaker 2: Incredible work. Uh, he certainly doesn't doesn't get his stuff just isn't, as you know, well known. And a lot of the things he did because he was basically in the Midwest here. He did a lot of courses, for instance, like the old course up at Marquette Doll Club where he designed eighteen holes, but they only built nine, yeah, because that's all board at the time it was a smaller town or something. And then you know, the other nine holes got built by somebody else later down the road, and you know those are it's really evident, what are the better golf holes? When you play those play those courses, it's language there. They're not just you know, a step above their leaps above the other holes on the golf course. And so that is incredible.
Speaker 1: It's like Culver is a nine hole course in Indiana, but it was the original plan was for twenty seven there, and you think about what he would you know, nine hole courses just they're tough because they don't get as much a claim. But I mean building a great nine holes that you wonder what it would have been if it was all twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, So we.
Speaker 1: Do we do a thing you said, very underrated. We one of our sticks here is over it. We have questions, overrated, underrated, and we'll we'll kind of splice splice those in because we got some some regular questions and some overrated underrated, and with overrated underrated just say, hey, is this overrated or underrated? But the template idea of template holes and this is from Marquette Golf Club, Uh, overrated, underrated.
Speaker 2: Overrated For the most part.
Speaker 5: I think, Hm, it's uh.
Speaker 1: I'm a template hole guy, but I like to see fresh twists on him now in modern architecture.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that does make it, That does make it better that way.
Speaker 1: You need to get that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then here's the here's one from.
Speaker 5: Con Or Doherty.
Speaker 1: Which iconic golf hol would you like to see changes made to anywhere?
Speaker 2: Well, that's their iconic golf holds for a reason, right, yeah, yeah, So so why would we why would we want to change them? I guess the way to the way to think about that would be that we should probably change one that had been changed for some other reason and change it back to what it was originally.
Speaker 1: That's that's kind of what I was thinking along those lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: His second half of the question is is almost a direct uh. He almost leads you right into that. And and with the with the us An this week in mind, he says overrated, underrated, the tenth hole at.
Speaker 2: Riviera underrated, underrated man one of the greatest. It's one of the greatest holes in the world.
Speaker 1: It's it's unbelievable that it's way underrated. But I mean it fits exactly what you're talking about with all the options and how it makes uh makes the great player think. But for for the everyday player, it's it's uh, you know, it's a short part.
Speaker 2: For it's achievable and that's that's that's why it is so great, and it's so phenomenal and and and pros. It should be an easy hole for him, and they somehow manage to screw it up all the time. Yeah, which is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I I played there, uh last summer, and you know, I obviously watched the telecast so many times and and everybody's like, you just can't hit it in that right bunker.
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 1: You have to aim left you have to aim left. And sure enough, I get on the tee, I pull out driver and I'm like, I should just aim at the left side of the green, not left the green, and I hit I hit my driver a little right and I end up in the bunker and and I hit the best bunker shot of my life, Like the best bunker shot of my life. And I yell up, like where did that end up? They're like, oh, over the green.
Speaker 5: It's just like.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, it's a And then I, you know, I had to make a really good up and down just to make four. It's just it puts so much stress on you and as a as a as a scratch player, but it's so it's it's so just right there for the for like, if my dad, who's like a sixteen handicap played it, I don't think he'd think twice about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's it's just a it's an unbelievable golf hole, and it's it's you know, that's it's probably the best you know, short part for in the world. I mean, just with regards to that. You know, there was a question there about the best drivable part, so that's probably it. But you know, and in general, I think like having a quote drivable power four might be it depends on which way you're looking at it. But you know, those could those could be kind of underrated in a lot of in a lot of regards because people think, oh, it's just too easy. But if it's if it's really well done, you know it's it's it's one of the more fun holes on the on the golf course. And that's really the separation of the great short furs, of the separation of the great great golf holes and the great golf course excuse me in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the short part four is obviously had like just a huge resurgence. I think one of the things that the short part four and the reachable par five is done is they've diminished the skill of building a great long part five or long part four. What are kind of your philosophies around doing those. I think those are kind of now the hardest hole is to build and have people say, wow, that was a great hull.
Speaker 2: Well for the high level player, you can't build a long part five. I mean there's six hundred and fifty yard part fives in the US Opening and guys hit the six Linds into them. So what so what's what's a long part? Five eight hundred and fifty five yards. I don't know is true that, you know, that just seems crazy to me, So I think it it has more to do with, you know, how something fits into the land and making guys make shots. And I don't know that for you know, for that that high level player, the pros. I don't know that there's any five that we have in the world that that is a true three shot hole anymore. Twenty years ago that was true. There were some holds like that, but that just doesn't happen anymore. I think with the technology, it's yeah.
Speaker 1: They get to like a wet like now really like a good three shot hole isn't a good three shot hole because like they hit driver, they lay up to a wedge and it's just a wedge jam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's unfortunate for the for the for the average guy though, for the regular club player, and even you know, even the good club player. You know, three shot holes are are demanding, and you know the really good ones demand three good shots. So you know, you have to hit a decent drive to get into position to you know, have a good second shot, whether you can get get home into or you know, your third shots got to be you know, something reasonable so you can get it close. And you can do that with with tough green design, you know, and make things more difficult that way, but you've got to have options for that also. So I think that's that's fun. The fourteenth that at Kingsley is a is a par five, and you know, it's it can play short depending on where you hit your drive because there's kind of a power slot. If you hit it over the bunkers, your ball can carry and it can run quite a way. And so you know, even an average hitter on occasion has times where he can get to get home into or get really close to the green, you know, which is which is kind of cool. But it's a demanding green and you know, it's a demanding shot to get in there. And the third shot is fun even if you're laying up and playing off to the side. So that type of stuff is you know, I think it's fun and successful being able to do that.
Speaker 4: That's it's that's I guess, yeah, it's it is.
Speaker 5: It's tough.
Speaker 1: I think that's a it's just I think long part fours and long par fives are now underrated in.
Speaker 5: My mind, but.
Speaker 1: Because of like the resurgence of the short part four and short part five, I think, you know, demanding holes that there they have like a little bit less interest, but they're they're so good. One they're really good. Like you know, you look at the road hole. So how to So mikeh Iration has a couple questions. The first one is very very open ended. What makes a good golf hole in your mind?
Speaker 2: Well, it's something that responds to what that particular piece of ground has so and it and it involves having something that's sort of unique with within that the scope of that whatever that environment is there, and it makes a golfer think about I want to try this or that or should I you know, blow it over that bunker or he It forces a golfer to make decisions. Sometimes that decision might be rudimentary, but rudimentary decision might lead to a more difficult decision, you know, further down the golf hole. So I think, you know, making the golfer think about what he wants or wants to try to do, I think is really good and important and and you've got to have a good green complex because you know, if you have you know, an awesome hole all the way up to the green, then you have this dead flat green with you know, nothing really going on around it. That's not real fun for a lot of people because that that might be the only thing that some that some golf have. They don't have length, They can't overpower a golf hole, but they can hit a precise, little wedge shot or something like we were talking about, you know, my grandfather and the other old guys you know, a while back. You know, they they they drinking along, drinking along, drinking along, get it up there close and make a pot and make a five, and you know occasionally they get one better than not, you know, and make make it four out of it or something on it. You know, like what would be like you're saying a long part four. You know, they would have to treat this a three shot hole. So you know, if they make that that last good shot and they make it four, that's like making a birdie and you know at third face because they're already giving up a shot with the distance, or if you miss, you know, around a green. A good green complex gives you options, whether that's you know, short grass to bump and run it, flop it, chip it, put it whatever, or does it give you a counter bank, uh, or you know some sort of shelfer ridge to play off of, you know, to get the ball close to the hole. So that's interesting and I think those things make a good golf hole, but they also a good A good golf hole or a great golf holes made better when it transitions from previous fall in the next hole and all that. You know, in isolation, it loses, it loses some of its impact. I think it might make it appear better than it is. But you know, if you have a great golf hole within a really good routing, that's really what you're trying to do.
Speaker 5: That's a that's a great answer.
Speaker 1: It's I love the you know, force somebody to make a decision that could have different kind of repercussions later in the hole.
Speaker 5: That's so good. So uh.
Speaker 1: Micah also has a question about the Metal Club and he wants to know how how does Metal Club compare to other Mackenzie designs and where does it rank within Northern California's great golf courses. You might have a little bit of biased answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe, yeah, metow is a special place, the first course that Mackenzie did in North America really in the Western hemisphere, so you know, it does hold a special spot in history with regards to that, and it is a phenomenal spot in the world. It's surrounded by the Marine Municipal Water District, which is protected land and will never be developed, so you can't see a domicile from the property and that's never going to change. So it's you know, it's a half an hour from the Golden Gate Bridge and there's I don't know five million people in the metro area there, but you can't see a house. That's pretty cool it is. It's a great walk, it's a wonderful golf course to play every day where you know the average guy can get around and can you know, have good days and bad days, and really good players can score well, but they're also going to have their their troublesome days too. The green complexes are really phenomenal and it's as pure a restoration as as anything out there because of the soil structure and how it was done in the original construction. When we when we peeled sideback, we could see exactly where the green the greens mix was because it had been screened better and there was finer and didn't have these little small stones at the regular soil had, so we were able to be really really accurate with with all that is an everyday golf course, I think it's you know, it's right up there with everything. It's you know, is it as good as Cyper's Point Pebble Beach, San Francisco Golf Club. No, but you know I would, I would easily put it in the top ten, if not, you know, a little bit higher. Yeah, that props the tempo. You know, you might say it's a little bit Scheffer has some more dramatic holes to it, things like that, but it's got to be really close right behind that Cow Club's you know, very good. But uh and every day. You know, I'm probably biased. I'd rather play the Metal Club every day than than col Clubs or Possitive for that matter.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, that's a big thing of it. I always think the best way to rate courses isn't like, you know, if you could go play one place one day one day, but it's how you how you split up ten rounds against two courses, because you know it it'd be it's you know, there are a lot of great golf courses that you want to play and you play once and it's like, Okay, I played it, but like the course that makes you want to just keep coming back and playing over and over again, or in my mind, the really great ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and then you've got you know, you've got Olympic. You got the Lake in the Ocean course there too, and you know there's some incredible history there. Also.
Speaker 1: They got some interesting new bunkers.
Speaker 2: That's really demanding. Every day.
Speaker 1: I saw some really, I saw some pictures of the bunkers and they just they look like it looks like it got just more and more demanding, where you've got bunkers that are twice the height of people and they're so steep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I haven't seen them in person yet, so yeah, I'll just I'll have to reserve judgment until I do that.
Speaker 1: I've only seen the photos of people in them, and it's uh. And then I had a member that reached out to me about it, and it doesn't does. He didn't sound very happy about it, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good fun in the bunker, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a it's a whatever.
Speaker 1: It's hard golf so Buck Walter, and this is a great question, Northern Michigan golf underrated or very underrated because it and uh, just to tack onto that, what's uh, you know, what's kind of one hidden gem up in northern Michigan that everybody should try and see.
Speaker 5: That's a public.
Speaker 2: Course, well Belvidere is not completely public. Its semi private, but you can get on there and and it's a wonderful William Watson designed from the mid twenties and it's just super super fun to play, and some great golf holes there, old time kind of golf, really good green contours. Bruce Heppner's done some green reclamation there recently, and you know, so it's it's going to get even better when they do when they do that kind of stuff. So to me, that's just a it's a really special place. It's always fun to play. They have a hickory tournament there every June, which is very well attended, one of the one of the more popular hickory events in the country and well deserving of that.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: That's that's the same course that Tom Doak said was one of the hidden gems of America. So people got to get out there.
Speaker 2: That's right. Got to get there.
Speaker 1: I think I got it. I mean, I'm doing a Northern Michigan trip this fall. I'm going to go up there. I was supposed to supposed to go this this week, but I just I'm too busy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is a great question from Alistair Philip. What's the most fulfilling part of being an architect? Uh?
Speaker 2: Here and somebody say that they they had you know, really they had fun playing your playing your golf course, or I tried this shot, tried that shot. That's like the highest compliment anybody can give me. For me, it's you know, I mean just from the personal aspect, it's the creation process and trying to put the pieces of the bubble together and then you know, create something that people want to come and play and experience and and that's that's really fun. And then you know, and the post the post part of it is you know, going back and playing stuff that you built, whether that was last week or you know, last year or fifteen years ago. That's kind of fun to do that.
Speaker 4: M h.
Speaker 5: I bet I it's something.
Speaker 1: I played a new course the other day and I I was a little disappointed in it.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I felt.
Speaker 1: The full brunt of what you guys probably feel is that the finality of design, like once it's done, is done.
Speaker 5: For a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's got to be the tough part.
Speaker 2: I don't have, you know, really regrets on stuff that I did, because things happened for you know, things happen and materialize for a reason during projects. So you know, if someone's real critical of a project, they probably don't understand you know, this factor or that factor or whatever was involved in that project. And that's you have to be there to do that. So make those decisions in those and with the information that you have. And there's there's not really a lot of stuff that I'm you know, would I would want to you know, just run right back and change that. Just that just doesn't It doesn't happen because I spend a lot of time on sites try and try and do that. Yeah, that's that fact.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that.
Speaker 1: There's always with everything, there's always underlying things that happen. You know, almost every situation. Nobody knows the full scope of it. All Right, you've been more than generous with your time. Here, let's set we got three quick overrated underrated You ready, yep?
Speaker 5: All right, trees.
Speaker 1: Overrated, Crown Greens underrated, I love Crown Greens, and buy holes.
Speaker 2: Overrated overrated.
Speaker 1: I think I would have agreed with all three of those then No, No, I liked them though they're all they were all from listeners, So I appreciate you coming on. Mike's got a lot of public access courses. If if somebody was going to just you know, strive to play one of your golf courses, which is the one you'd want them to see.
Speaker 2: Okap Wickham of course, but that's a that's a pretty journey. So the easiest way, you know, particularly for public access golf courses, Grand Rapids, the Mines golf courses really right downtown, you know, inexpensive and a great play. It's hard, it's a difficult, difficult course. Pilgrim's Run is a half an hour north of Grand Rapids and uh it is beautiful and really well done. They take care of you. They have excellent service there. All the courses do, but they especially like you know, roll off the red car people.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And Diamond Springs which is about a half an hour southwest of Grand Rapids is a is a wonderful golf course too. That's that's very inexpensive and a very interesting play from the standpoint that it's it's one cut of grass and then just green height and then and then outer stem. So yeah, it's a it's very minimal maintenance, but it's it's extraordinarily playable and fun and has a has a gorge that goes through it that's really really cool.
Speaker 1: And you know what those are all on the way up to northern Michigan.
Speaker 2: It's uh, it's it's a very yeah, a very easy thing. You could fly into Grand Rapids and stay downtown, go to the group pubs, you know, play golf, play golf during the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're yeah, all affordable too, which is a great thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very affordable.
Speaker 1: So Mike will have to have you on it again. And thanks so much for for the time, and we look forward to seeing what's next.
Speaker 2: Thanks thanks for having me on. I really appreciate it and look forward to another time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you. Eight