Speaker 1: Kyle, do you plan on announcing a number two quarterback or you're gonna wait till right before the game.
Speaker 2: And he's had something that could rotate week to week throughout the season.
Speaker 1: How do you see that?
Speaker 3: Yes? Saw that positive.
Speaker 4: I mean I would think probably announced it before we played Pittsburgh, but not this game.
Speaker 1: Do you think you would you could rotate throughout the week?
Speaker 3: Definitely, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: That's on the order you're gonna play the quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: I haven't decided.
Speaker 4: No, today's a big part of that and tomorrow, but we'll decide for these two practices have really gotten in much and.
Speaker 1: Has a practiced a ton? Is there a reason? Is just to get more renounced with other guys.
Speaker 5: There is the reason why he hasn't been playing too much.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's just hard to play for guys. It's a challenge.
Speaker 4: We got him a lot earlier in camp knowing that, especially when we had more threes. But I mean, we don't even do really threes now. Our ones are consistent of ones and twos, and our twos are consistent of twos and threes. It's just tough to get those of This time.
Speaker 1: The procedure will work with the third quarterback role.
Speaker 6: Are you gonna have to designate a guy or is it just one of your seven inactives can theoretically playing.
Speaker 3: No. I believe they sent the memo last night.
Speaker 4: I have not read through it all yet, but I believe we're gonna have to designate him.
Speaker 3: It'll be a specific guy. You can't go back and forth.
Speaker 5: Oh you said, answer was fifteen days ago. Now you were not at all stressed about nig posting not being here.
Speaker 1: How are you feeling today?
Speaker 3: Nothing's changed.
Speaker 6: I know John was just saying for himself that you usually thought he needed three weeks of practices to be ready for We went for the means for everybody.
Speaker 1: But in your general I know we're insigning three wee We're right about three weeks now. He thinks about three weeks, two weeks. What does a player generally mean?
Speaker 3: You never know until you put him through that.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, I think Bos his first year here, he got I think it was a high ankle sprain. I think he went like the first week of practice and then we didn't see him again ntil Wednesday verse Tampa Bay, and he played in that game. So it's I mean, it's different for every player I was much confidence with Nick. As any player I've ever been around, you always wanted to be more time. I wish it was three weeks. I wish it was five weeks. But I'm not sure how many weeks it's going to be. But you always would like more.
Speaker 1: Kyle, the last couple of weeks, No, I haven't. What would you like to see Saturday or Friday that makes you feel good about the kicking situation going to the season.
Speaker 4: I mean, usually if they make them, I got no thoughts after that. When they miss them, then you then you think about it and you evaluate it. You think of why it's not always that. Sometimes it's the snaps, sometimes it's the rush, but you look into all of it. I'm pretty confident with what I see in practice every day. I know we've had two outings, and I wish those two are a little bit better. But if practice was the.
Speaker 3: Same, I think i'd feel a little bit different.
Speaker 2: With Christian McCaffrey kind of get through Camp Wick and pretty don't good. I mean, how much more meaningful can you be with this offense as opposed to it last year when he kind of.
Speaker 1: Came in on the fly and obviously did pretty darn well.
Speaker 2: And I guess how hesitant were you to pull the trigger on that trade, to give up so many picks.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're always hesitant just because there's risks and everything. I mean, it's you know, how good of a player he is, and when you have an opportunity to get a player like that, you want to look into it at all, all of it, not just the player, but how it fits to the whole contract, of your whole salary cap and everything. You got to look at what it means by giving up those picks, and you don't worry at all about it in terms of how good he is and stuff and things like that. But there's also luck to it. You got to stay healthy, things got to go. So it's it's always a risk. I mean, you look back at it last year, it's thank god, how could you even hesitate on anything. I mean, that's a no brainer, but you never know the future of it. But when you have a chance to get a guy like him the way he looks on tape, and we didn't know him that well. People act like I knew him before, but I I numerous parents and having him since then, not just how he's been on the field and in practice, but understanding the person feels so good of what we gave up to get him, and knowing that he's a forty nine er.
Speaker 5: You guys have a good track record of you giving these big deals done warnered uh so forth, Nick is an outmire in this case. Is there any frustration that you know, you guys.
Speaker 1: Haven't reached it? Grammar N.
Speaker 4: Now it's going r pretty much exactly how I expected it to go. That's so now it's kind of just been exactly what.
Speaker 1: I thought you expected it to go this long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a feeling it would.
Speaker 1: When do you expect it to end?
Speaker 3: Hopefully sooner than later?
Speaker 1: How how different is it to have your DC up in the booth? I know you haven't had that previous. Is it any different for you at all?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I forgot about it until after the game, cause I don't. I don't need to go talk to many people face to face unless I want to know one else to hear. Since we're all attached through technology, none of that stuff matters to me. I mean, you can communicate with everyone so easily. You know, need to go have one on ones with people, and you can do it all through your microphone, so it's it's not much difference at all.
Speaker 6: Sam Donald, the team is established as this point that's going into the season. Why play him in the third preseason game at all of the starters? I mean, what what goes into that decision.
Speaker 4: It's all about having guys ready to play a real football game, and there's so much that goes into mentally being ready, physically being ready. I mean this is you can't have any hesitation in this game, and week one starts, it's people see that, and you can lose games very fast just being a little bit off. I've you kind of build that with experience over your career, but I've had guys that I've sat for a whole preseason games and then then fumble their first play that they get in and then you kill you kick yourself in the butt for it.
Speaker 3: It's just like wolves I do.
Speaker 4: And you've also played guys and they get hurt and you're like, what the hell was I thinking? So there's zero absolutes in any of it. That's why I don't sit here and tell you guys what we're doing way in advance. I look at each thing day to day. I look at our practices, I look at our reps, I look at the individual, how he is and where he's at in his career, how he is just with the week, and where he is in terms of being ready for week one. All that stuff goes into it and you don't really know until it's over what the right decision was. So that's why it's not always fun to make those decisions. But I also know when you just sit at everyone and you don't practice football, you.
Speaker 3: Do, your guys are pretty big disservice.
Speaker 1: Where Sam Donald make the biggest.
Speaker 4: Improvement is just each day, I mean coming here not knowing the offense, not playing an often similar to it, just his command getting in and out of the huddle. Where he is now compared to day one, he's been real consistent in everything that he didn't come in the first day just owning it all because you can't when you haven don't have the experience. But each day that he's done it, he's gone better and better and he just looks more and more comfortable and everything he's doing.
Speaker 1: Much you portray, where do you see him make the biggest improvement this offseason?
Speaker 4: This offseason was just kind of getting healthy again and redefining you know, how he throws, get in his balance. I think Trey from when he got hurt to where he is now completely I think.
Speaker 3: It helped him.
Speaker 4: It always helps to play through things and go through that stuff, but for him to sit back last year and really get to watch some stuff and know what he needed to focus on. Because he did get that week and a half of plan, he did get the whole training camp, the whole preseason. He knew exactly what he was in for, and unfortunately he got hurt and didn't get to go through it. But I think he made a positive out of it because mentally he really saw what he had to improve on just watching other guys go through it. And it's been pretty well documented, but I think he did improve on that stuff before he came back, and now improving on it before he came.
Speaker 3: Back has allowed him to get a lot better through all his reps.
Speaker 1: Ahead yet about who he'd like to see running the scout team and who could benefit from you know, the extra reps that that that provides throughout.
Speaker 4: The courts of the season. I mean, yeah, but then again, you're this is the NFL, so you don't you think about how to get your team ready to win that week. And most of that has to do with who's best for our defense, who gets them the right look and prepares our team the best way for what they're about to face on Sunday, uh and then the and after that. Yeah, you try to get everyone reps because you know to get better with reps.
Speaker 6: Alternate week between Sam and.
Speaker 1: And Yep, we have three quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: I don't think at all before are you pretty much committed you're gonna keep at least three.
Speaker 3: On this fifty three we kept three. I think we had CJ and Nick, all three of them.
Speaker 4: After after I think Nick started playing, I think we kept all three of them. I mean, you keep three when when you have three it's and everyone in the NFL it's hard with the fifty three man roster, so you'd like to keep You like to keep two so you can get another position somewhere.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The new rule I don't think is gonna change anyone. That's just the bonus. It's not like you get an extra fifty fourth. It still takes away from that. You just get extra one up on game day. But for what happened to us the one time out of ten thousand games or whatever, it is you know, I don't think people are going to change.
Speaker 3: Their rosters because of that. But if you do have a third one that you don't want.
Speaker 4: To lose because guys are it's hard to have quarterbacks, it's hard to keep them on practice squad two, then that's what you got to do.
Speaker 1: What you saw? What are the traits you saw in Anthony Miller that led you guys to bring him in.
Speaker 4: I mean I remember studying them coming out of college. We were big fans of them coming out of college. I remember him what the Bears doing some good things, but we had to work out with guys. I didn't even go out to it, but they were the most impressive with him out of the four people, I think we had four, maybe three. But he's a guy I remember being a big fan of in college.
Speaker 1: You know, your wide receiver corps, you've lost a couple of year vertical speed. How important has a play caller is it to have that vertical threat? And does it change how teams defend you.
Speaker 4: If you don't, Yeah, definitely, you know it's extremely important. You have some people with that Forty times people know when you don't, and it changes a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: Makes it tighter.
Speaker 1: H Kyle, Uh, what do you think of Elijah in a first practice back?
Speaker 2: And do you anticipate him seeing a decent amount of playing time on Friday?
Speaker 3: I doubt it, and we got to ease him back in yesterday.
Speaker 4: It was his first day back. I thought he looked awesome. We'll see how he is today. We'll kind of factor that in after two more days of practice. But I mean, I'll picture Elijah with just getting these two and a half days in being a big thing this week.
Speaker 3: But we'll see. I'll give one more.
Speaker 1: Ahead follow up on the UH wide receiver speed question. Where is Chris Conley in that? I mean, does he still have that speed he had coming out?
Speaker 5: And how close is he to replicating what what Danny Gray can do?
Speaker 4: I mean Chris since he's I mean, I remember we worked Chris out in the local trial day when I was in Atlanta, and you just look at the cards and I didn't know any of the local guys until I saw a guy with four to three on it and that was him, and then he went in the third round.
Speaker 3: I believed.
Speaker 4: But you know, Chris has always been a speedster, which is what you know got him drafted. And helped him a lot in his career. And he can still run without a doubt. I don't know if this is exact same, but I know he can still run. But where Chris has been the best is he's been a true veteran receiver for us. You know him an Willie. This guy is very reliable. When you throw it to him, he catches it. He's in the right spot, and you know he's had a grind through camp. He's grinding and try to make this team. But usually once those guys get past camp and they can get their legs back and stuff, Chris is one of our faster guys.
Speaker 3: I guess, thanks Dave.