Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome back to Betcher Happy Hour. We're really excited because we have none other than Nancy from The Golden Bachelor is here. Nancy? How are you hi?
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to be here. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: We're so excited to have you.
Speaker 1: I'm more excited Nancy because right now you're in my top four, and I don't know if you're in Serena's top four.
Speaker 4: No, Serena has forgotten who she picked for her top four, so I'm going to go back and listen.
Speaker 3: But we loved watching you this week.
Speaker 4: You were a favorite of Orish from episode one, so getting to see more of you on the group date was very exciting for us.
Speaker 3: We can't wait to just chat all about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, thank you. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Nancy, So how'd you get on this crazy show?
Speaker 2: Can you believe it? My niece, who's twenty eight, said last Thanksgiving, Aunt, Nancy, you know there's a new dating show for older people like you, And.
Speaker 3: I was like, great, what a way to sell the show exactly?
Speaker 2: And I said, she said, you know, you know it would be funny. You should apply and I said, I'm not doing that. It was like winning the lottery. You know, you buy a lottery ticket and you think, oh, that'll never happen. So she said, let me fill out the application and you can edit it, and so I did, and I said, sure, send it in. I never thought ever that I would get a call again, kind of like the lottery, and I feel like I won the lottery. Like it's been I'm just so happy to be here. And it's been a great adventure so far.
Speaker 1: Okay, So where do you currently live.
Speaker 2: I live in Alexandria, Virginia.
Speaker 1: Okay. And you get the call, what's going on in your head?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't believe it? And then it started, you know, the process, and you know, they had a lot of applicants, and so when they told me that a lot of applicants, I thought, oh, I'll never make it. I don't know why. And then yay, and then you did, well like can you come in ten days? So I did, and I'm so happy that it worked out.
Speaker 1: You know, did you watch the show prior? Did you ever watch any seasons?
Speaker 2: I have, and actually the season with Ben Higgins. Yeah, he's from my hometown. Oh yeah, and so obviously I'm a lot older than he is. But his parents live on the same lake as my parents. They go to the same church. When Ben won, I watched Ben's season when he was one of the of the twenty five five, and then I watched when he was the Bachelor, and then he had a couple of fundraisers in our hometown in Works, Indiana, and I came to the fundraisers, so I got to see him there and I have pictures and with him, and so I really that was really the first time i'd seen it when he was on. But I followed that closely.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so you're from You're from Indiana? Then I am, Yeah, I'm from Chicago, so pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see good midwesterners.
Speaker 1: Yep, pretty close. How many kids do you have?
Speaker 2: I have three, three kids. My daughter's thirty one, my son is twenty eight, and then my junior in college.
Speaker 1: Is twenty And what are they saying?
Speaker 2: They were saying, of course, I went through it with them, and they were saying, Mom, you have to do this, and I was like, more of this. And my son was like, are you going to kiss anybody on camera? Like that was his first reaction. And I said, Griffin, if I do, it would certainly be tasteful and I'm not going to do anything that would embarrass you three or or my parents.
Speaker 4: So I feel like, Joe, if your mom was to go on The Golden Bachelor, that would be your first question too, like, Mom, are you going to kiss.
Speaker 3: People on TV?
Speaker 2: Wasn't it right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'd be like, obviously she's going too. We saw that you and some of the ladies were at the Dancing with the Stars show the other day.
Speaker 3: How was that?
Speaker 2: Was such a treat? We were literally I don't know if you could tell from the show, but we were right on stage and like right there, and it was amazing to see those dancers, the professional ones and the non how they perform. I mean, it was incredible. We had such a good time and the taping was like four hours, so we were there.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, it's a long time.
Speaker 4: Jo on Dancing with the Stars, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Went pretty far too. The best dancer though.
Speaker 2: For you, that's impressive.
Speaker 1: Book. Thank you?
Speaker 3: Who was at the show with you? Which of the women were there?
Speaker 2: Kathy, Kathy, Susan and April?
Speaker 3: So much fun and then you got to see.
Speaker 2: Ur and we were so excited to be there and everyone was lovely of course. And we got to meet a couple of the dancers just by by happenstance. And then Charity was there and she came through. We were like, hi, and there's a video I saw out there somewhere where we all. I said, we're the Golden Bachelor gals. And she was like, oh my gosh, and so we took a picture and that was really fun.
Speaker 1: How does it feel like? This is like a whirlwind. You're on a hit TV show right now? Like, how's this?
Speaker 2: It's like I'm pinching myself every day? Yeah, yeah, it's unreal. And the people, again, it goes back to I think the tenor of the show that the people, the producers, the executive producers, you know, everyone who works there is lovely. And I don't say that lightly, but it's true. And they made us feel at home. It was just it was a great experience overall.
Speaker 1: Do you hate anyone any of the women in the house? You're like, I don't. I don't like her.
Speaker 2: Well, of course you like some more than others. I thought it was unfortunate, you know, the first night you saw we all are together, and then six people went home and so now that was hard. And I wish, you know, I talked to everyone and everyone was really friendly and the I felt like everyone was saying good luck, like we were rooting for each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good feeling.
Speaker 3: How did it?
Speaker 1: How did it feel? Let's go back to that that first night and just stepping out the limo. What's going on? What's going on up there?
Speaker 2: I was shaking in my shoes. Yeah, and you saw on what they showed was. I didn't have a big part in that that night or on the on air, but they showed my ear candy, which I do wear hearing aids. And I did that because I wanted to show Gary you know that I too have hearing aids. And I also wanted to show the world, if they put that out there, that it's okay to not be embarrassed to wear hearing aids. I mean, believe me, at first, I wasn't crazy about it, but what do you do? And so now you get used to it, and I hope that makes other people who wear them okay with it.
Speaker 1: I mean, we had to force my dad to wear them, and now he's finally wearing them. Every time I would go home, he'd have the TV on one hundred.
Speaker 4: Joe would be like screaming at his dad two, like just go downstairs.
Speaker 3: You can't hear you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can hear out of one ear, most all out of one ear. Just I lost hearing in one ear. But anyway, so I don't have to wear them all the time, but I usually do anyway, But I cried like a five year old when I got them. At first. I was like, Oh, I'm so embarrassed. People are gonna think I'm like going down the tubes and I'm trying to get a boyfriend.
Speaker 4: How was that first conversation that you had with Gary night one?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Yeah, first impressions of Gary.
Speaker 2: First impressions were he was very I think he was nervous, of course he would be. And my first impression was he really he looked you in the eye, he paid attention. And when we you know, the brief meeting with when I did the ear candy thing, then when we all got to you know, sit down and have a chat, I felt comfortable and I thought that was a really good feeling. We connected. We're from He's also from Indiana, as you know, and so I brought that up. And then because I'm from Indiana, and I love basketball. I was like, let's shoot some hoops. So you then saw and he was very like, okay, let's do it. Like he was up for anything, and we shot hoots and you saw that I shot on your hand, but it went in there you.
Speaker 3: Go as long as it goes in. Who cares?
Speaker 1: That's true?
Speaker 4: Oh well, no, I think that's great. I think it's fun that you did like a little activity with him. You know, you bonded over something that you guys had in common, which is the hearings, and kind of showed that off in a cute way. And then being able to you know, we know that he's athletic, doing activity together make it feel fun.
Speaker 3: I think that's great.
Speaker 4: It sounds like you had a really successful first night at the mansion.
Speaker 3: Along first night, I mean, those nights are so long.
Speaker 2: But do you remember those?
Speaker 3: Yes? Unfortunately I do.
Speaker 1: I didn't get I went home. I went home the first night, Nancy, I didn't get a rose.
Speaker 3: What he did.
Speaker 1: Was really sad.
Speaker 2: I need to go back and watch that.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it was it was rough that first were you How confident were you that you were going to get a rose? When you stepped into that first rose ceremony.
Speaker 2: Good question. I was nervous, but somehow I felt I felt like there was a good chance. I wasn't percent, but I felt like there was a good chance. We had talked, you know, again, very little, but enough that we connected on a couple of things and I oh, and I did tell him that I too had lost my husband, and so I anyway, we connected and that was I was pretty confident, but not overly. I mean, you never know. That was everybody was nervous.
Speaker 4: That's how I felt. That's how I felt the first or ceremony too.
Speaker 1: So we see, so you get you get the rows. Now we're going into we're going into this week's episode. The first thing we see is, you guys have to you're you're scene for the first time. You may have to sleep in bunk beds, you're sharing rooms. What is yeah? What what is the city? Because I, I personally, even now I would hate that, Like I I don't like that. How do you feel?
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting. We had filled out, you know, a questionnaire about remin and you know, do you like a top bunk or a bottom bunk? And I wrote no bunk. And now I thought, oh, they're probably gonna kick me off. But we had a great time in our room. We had it was it was kind of like a you know, girls sleepover and you know, you're in with these people you just met. You don't know, you're kind of signs and everybody because some people are more you know, out there, and I sort of it was a little quieter, and sometimes I think maybe I shouldn't have been, but it was really fun and just a great camaraderie.
Speaker 3: Ever, why do you think you shouldn't have been quiet?
Speaker 2: Well, I think just when I went on camera and some of the things that I you know, I'm not overly. I think I was just in the beginning sidening it all up and trying to make sure I didn't do stupid. But that.
Speaker 3: Makes sense.
Speaker 4: Like it's a very overwhelming new environment. There's like such a learning curve. You're like, how to slall work? I mean, you had a really cute moment in the episode. We were trying to figure out if you watch the show or not after we saw this, but Jesse puts down the day card and you're like, oh, you're not going to open that, Like, what's happening?
Speaker 3: What is that? He was laughing because He's like, well, it's the date card. No, I'm not going to open it. So it's a lot, right, it's a lot to take in.
Speaker 4: So I think it makes sense that, you know, Joe always kind of I feel like you sympathize with the people that are a little more quiet or awkward or stand office in the beginning, because that's kind of how you felt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, time, it's hard because you've never done anything like this. You, Nancy, how old were you when you got married? Twenty four?
Speaker 2: Thank you? I was twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight Okay, so yeah, sorry to sorry to cut you off. So let's say let's take your twenty eight self before you got Let's say you were single, right, you didn't get married. How do you think your twenty eight self would have done in a situation like you're in now?
Speaker 2: Probably because I hadn't lived the years that I have now, I wouldn't know what I know now, and so I think I would have been like, yeah, what let's go. Yeah, And I think now you know, I was cognizant of I don't want to embarrass my kids. I want Gary to be impressed. I want to get time with them, I want to do all these things as you guys know, we're going through your head like I'm hoping that he's the guy, but you've got to have time to talk to him and et cetera. So I think my twenty eight year old self would have been much more, not as quiet in the beginning.
Speaker 1: A little more loose wild, Yeah, a little bit makes yeah, makes sense. Yeah, now yeah, okay, So we see, so you're on the group date and you do you know, it's an emotional group day, which you completely understanding. You know, it's the first time you're wearing a wedding dress, so you want to walk us through that. Yes, it was whatever you don't whatever you don't want to talk about. We don't have to.
Speaker 2: No, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I when we were you know, we had to go pick out an outfit and it was you know, people were we were supposed to walk. Some people were running to get the best outfit like all that, and I don't anyway, I wasn't sure what to pick. And then more people are picking, and then I was like, oh, and then there were three wedding dresses. So I didn't think anything of it. Picked a wedding dress and everybody's like, come, on. We have to move in and get ready and change and we're going to go, you know, change over in this gym. Someone tumbed gym and get ready, and I was fine, I'm changing, I'm putting on the wedding dress. I'd zip it up. Somebody zips me up. And then somebody said, and I forget Honestly, you know, they said, Nancy, you look so beautiful as a bride. Yeah, in this wave of twenty three years of being married and twenty five years of being together, and it wasn't just the dress. It was the reminder of what we had for twenty five years, and that dress was just the the scab or whatever and not a scab, you know. And I broke down, as you saw, and I kept thinking it, okay, okay, I'm gonna be okay. But I had I wanted to take the dress off. But then I went as you saw and talked to Gary, and you know, he knew that I wasn't feeling great, and I said, you know what, I thought, I'm just gonna be honest, like, yeah, I said, you're not your normal self. You saw it, and I said, you know what, it was really hard for me today, and I told and he was. So that's where I felt like we had a connection because he totally could sympathize. And then he said the story about his wife and the cinnamon rolls and what you know that he had broken down when she when she he smelled cinnamon rolls because she used to make them at Christmas, and he really and then he got teary eyed, and then he was very sweet, and then he asked me about my husband, and you know, I really I was embarrassed that I was crying, but like I said, it was like this rush. I can't explain it other than it was this rush of twenty five years of a truly happy marriage and three kids and you know, he had a long battle with pulling cancer that was so long, and it just it was just that and it was like, Okay, I can do this. And then we got the pictures take and you know, we did all that.
Speaker 1: If you think you had to go through those emotions to be able to be ready to take that step, to be ready to actually date someone like Gary or be able to from that, yeah, from yeah, from that experience, maybe like do you think that experience and and and you know, feeling all those emotions and that rush of emotions maybe in the long run, helped you open up more to Gary and and get yourself ready to be in a position to potentially get engaged to this man.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and you know, obviously it's been twelve years since my husband passed away. So I have dated and I tried the you know how we all you know, the dating apps, et cetera and your friends. I just haven't met the right guy. So I have been ready. But that and you know, it's happened before once or twice, maybe like five years ago. I was in the grocery store and something reminded me and I broke down that and what Gary and I talked about was that grief you will always carry that with you. It doesn't happen again. That hasn't happened to me, well ever like that, and it happens to me, you know, in private. Sometimes I cry. Now, I think the difference is now, when you're going through grief and you having time, had time, you don't you don't cry as much. Now. I smile more, and I think about my late husband and the kids, and we talk about him, but we all smile more, we don't cry. And so that was the difference, but having the wedding dress on really yes, but I think those emotions, yes, that was that was good for me. I mean it was good tharted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and probably allowed you and Gary to kind of be vulnerable and connect on you know, the loss of a spouse and he was able to share his story. And yeah, probably progressed your connection in a way because you were able to really open up.
Speaker 1: And you get the Rose. She got the group day Rose. Yay, So getting the group day Rows, How like, how confident are you now in your connection with Gary? And are you sizing up any of the other women and now starting to like pay a little more attention to their connections with Gary. Is any of that happening yet?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, definitely. And I in one way, I felt not bad. But I knew after that exchange that I probably would get it, and only because we had that connection. And I again, it wasn't planned and I didn't feel it just happened. And but he I could tell appreciated, like you said, Serena, that I was vulnerable, and I think it ended up being a good thing. And but yes, after I got the group date Rose, I was kind of looking around and I knew we had seen, you know, a little kissing going on with other women, and I was like, hmm, okay, you like storry, you know that kind of thing. So yeah, I was sizing it up, starting not dying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like it's hard, Like it always starts out like so happy and supportive and not that people aren't supportive as of beach as it goes on, but it definitely gets harder to support other people because you're like, well, I don't want to support your relationship with Gary.
Speaker 2: I want the relationship Gary, and I just wanted. I was. I was concerned because I thought, well, now that I got the group date Rose, I knew I would be safe, but I doubted I would get a one on one date because I got the group date.
Speaker 4: Rops right right now, you're like, yeah, of course you want as much time one on one with him as possible.
Speaker 1: Is there anything in this journey? Actually? Let me let me rephrase that. Let me rephrase that, Let me rephrase that. What would you like to say to anyone in their golden years who thinks their best days are behind them?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a good example. I think all these women who were on there are a good example. That it's not over. You have to put yourself out there, like hopefully everybody does. Get off the couch, don't you know, pick up a new sport, go to a new activity. The main thing is being out there, and I think it'll happen. And this gave me a lot of hope that I'm hoping, you know, it turns out well. But I hope that people can look at the show and think, you know what, look at these girls like they're they're doing their thing. They're out there, they're trying. They were hearing aids and they can still get a boyfriend.
Speaker 4: You know what, hereands are sexy, I said, hearing ads are sexy.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what we're learning that Bachelor.
Speaker 1: If if you were gonna we're going to play a game. But if you could tease the rest of Golden Bachelor with one word without giving an anything away, what would how would you tease it?
Speaker 2: I could tease the audience?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the show? I mean, you know what, could we expect?
Speaker 2: Drama?
Speaker 1: Most dramatic season yet.
Speaker 4: One of our favorite adjectives for this franchise.
Speaker 1: All right, Nancy, you're ready to play a gamer and play a rapid fire. Rapid fire so first thing that comes to your head, you answer.
Speaker 2: You're going it's yeah, okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Okay. What is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
Speaker 2: Beat my dog?
Speaker 1: What is the best dish you cook?
Speaker 2: Oh? Also, oh that's a good one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is your go to rows? Ceremony?
Speaker 2: Cocktail shortening?
Speaker 1: What was your first concert you ever?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Champagne campaign?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: What was the are you guys doing any shots on the show? Any any shots at tequila or anything?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay. What is the first concert you ever attended?
Speaker 2: Bruce Springsteen?
Speaker 1: What is your love language?
Speaker 2: Time? Oh, words of affirmation? I have a few. You can have all of them, words of affirmation and.
Speaker 1: Gifts love that time. How many hours of sleep do you need every night?
Speaker 2: Eight to nine?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Who is who's on this podcast? Right before Nancy? Who do we have? Faith? Faith?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: She faith claims she needs like three? Yeah.
Speaker 3: She was like three to like, I just need four hours and then I'm good.
Speaker 2: No, well I aspire her I need eight or nine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, fath same.
Speaker 4: I was like, faith, What, I'm twenty five and I'm cranking if I don't get seven?
Speaker 1: What is what is your favorite place in the whole world.
Speaker 2: Gosh, my favorite place in the whole world is Harbor Island in the Bahamas.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you could only watch one movie on repeat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Love? Actually?
Speaker 3: I love that movie.
Speaker 1: And I just talked about Love. Actually before this podcast.
Speaker 3: You did, I had to live that movie and my vows.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, I.
Speaker 4: Had to me you are perfect, which is what he like holds on the side.
Speaker 2: Oh and Colin Firth. Colin Firth is my dream day. Just I mean, he's so sorry, but just.
Speaker 3: Saying he just levety crush that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my celebt crush.
Speaker 1: What is one word your kids or grandkids would use to describe you?
Speaker 2: Funny?
Speaker 1: What is your go to karaoke song?
Speaker 2: Bitch, better have my money?
Speaker 1: I love that. If you right, you are funny? Nancy, there you go, right after right after claiming you're funny, you hit us with a joke and love that. Well.
Speaker 2: I think I'm funny, but I'm not.
Speaker 1: Sure you are funny. You are funny. If you were to write an autobiography, what would you call it?
Speaker 3: That's such a hard one.
Speaker 1: Bitch better have my money? Oh my gosh, there you go, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it was the best life ever love that.
Speaker 1: Yes? Do you believe in love at first sight?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: What is one word to describe this season of The Golden Bachler, which you've already told us, which I shouldn't whish I should be better at not asking the same question twice?
Speaker 3: Drama?
Speaker 2: Drama, drama, It is drama.
Speaker 1: There it is, Nancy. Thank you so much. We cannot wait to watch the rest of your journey unfold on this show. Thank you everyone for tuning in, and remember all new episodes of The Golden Bacher You're every Thursday on ABC at eighth seventh Central, followed by new episodes of Bachelor or Paradise. You could stream both shows the next day on.
Speaker 4: Hulu and make sure to tune into new episodes of Bachelor Happy Hour every week. We're going to have some more amazing guests on. We've got all kinds of exclusive interviews coming up, so don't forget to subscribe.
Speaker 1: And again, Nancy, thank you so much. You're wonderful and everyone else, see you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Bye for having me