Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart. Hello. Hello, I hope you are having a beautiful day and a beautiful week. I'm coming to you from Chicago. Actually, I came here to hang out with my brother for the weekend. It's the first time I've ever done that. He lives in the city and I've been staying with him downtown and it's actually been really special. But before this, I was in New Orleans for Halloween. I can't think of a spookier place to be. It was really fun. I truly cannot eat any more food from New Orleans. I felt so stuffed every breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but everything's so delicious there. I had the Cafe Dumont Beignet's with coffee in the morning and I'm still daydreaming about them. Anyways, I'll be flying back to LA today And I realized looking at the date that we have fifty five days until the new year, and that means we have eight thursdays until the new year. We're gonna have a new episode every week, but I'm actually flying to New York next week to record with two celebrities that I'm bringing on the pod. Two people I think you're really actually I know you're really gonna like them. One of them is absolutely hilarious and the other has a pretty smart story that it's just it's very us. I know you guys are gonna want to support her and we'll connect to her story. So let's dive into today's episode. I guess before I start the intro, I should tell you that Emily, who is our guest today, Emily Bear has become a friend of mine and I met her through work via Hello Sune and when we met at an event, we connected right away and I felt like I had known her for years. But I also felt like she was maybe a little younger than me, but probably around my age. And it wasn't until she came to record Pretty Smart that I realized she was just twenty three years old. I was ten years older than her, and I had no idea because she is so just beyond her years and people have been telling her that for years. I learned, so I'll explain what that means in a second. Let's just dive in. You know, there's a lot of gifts that you can have in this life, but having musical talent has to be one of the most alluring for me. Every time I'm in the presence of live music, my first thought is what does it feel like to be able to insert verb, sing, play strum like that? Have you ever been to a party where someone picked up a guitar or at a karaoke night where someone steps on the mic and just blows everyone away. It changes the whole vibration of the room, Like I feel it in my body. When I look at live performers, I just I marvel in amazement. Do you all feel that way? I don't know if it's just me. It's like this skill that you know what. It's not a skill, it's a gift, and it's not a talent. It's a calling. Our guest today has a true calling. Composer and musician Emily Bear is used to her skills being center stage. She's been making music since she was four years old, and I don't mean four years old walking and singing. Mary had a little lamb like maybe some of us were. I mean she was featured on The Ellen Show at six for being a piano prodigy. She's gone on to become a Grammy and Emmy winning composer, producer, a ranger, pianist, and singer songwriter. She's worked with some of the greatest musicians of our time. She toured with Beyonce on her Renaissance tour and counts Quincy Jones as her mentor. This was recorded a few weeks before Quincy Jones passed, and I think it's important to note that. I also think it's worth mentioning how instrumental Quincy was. He lived his life like a symphony, a conductor of culture and an architect of timeless sound. From the vibrant days of big band jazz to the electrifying energy of pop, Quincy touched almost every corner of music, and he left an indelible mark on so many people's lives. He was notoriously kind and generous with his time. He went out of his way to mentor people he believed in, people like Emily, and in watching videos of the two of them together, one of the things that stuck out to me was how he talked about her work ethic. It'd be easy to look at Emily and think that her success is rooted in sheer talent. But what Quincy pointed out, and what I so quickly picked up on in our conversation, is Emily's relentlessness and grit. I think Emily realized pretty quickly that when it comes to longevity in her career, hard work was going to trump talent every single time.
Speaker 2: Whatever natural talent I had is only going to last me so long, like I need to keep learning otherwise I'm just gonna again fizzle out once the spectacle is gone, and I won't have anything to show for it afterwards.
Speaker 1: I have this James Baldwin quote printed on my whiteboard in my kitchen. It reads, talent is insignificant. I know a lot of talented ruins. Beyond talent lie all the usual words, discipline, love, luck, but most of all, endurance.
Speaker 2: And as I was.
Speaker 1: Talking to Emily, I kept thinking about that quote on my whiteboard in my kitchen. Emily has endured, and today she gives us her unofficial guide to breaking barriers, how she found the magic in creating her own opportunities, plus why creating your dream life will inevitably come with some night marriish moments.
Speaker 2: Anyone who's at the top of their game in medicine or science or acting or whatever, Like anyone who's there has put so much shit into getting where they are, and it's not always fine. It's gonna be hard, it's going to be terrible, but you do it because you love it.
Speaker 1: At just twenty three years old and maybe the wisdom of a forty something year old, but at just twenty three, Emily's life has been a blend of big wins, tough lessons, and moments that make her stop and say, wow, that really happened. Today, she's taking us behind the scenes from her early days when her grandmother noticed her gift to her biggest challenges in an industry that still has a pretty long way to go recognizing women.
Speaker 2: Every musician grows up every year you watch the Grammys and you're like, oh, I want to be up there. Oh that'll be me one day. But there's no way that's never gonna happen. There's no way. So then like it happens, I'm like, WHOA.
Speaker 1: Emily Bear isn't just an artist, She's a revolutionary voice for the next generation of composers. And I don't say that lightly. Those of you who listen weekly know that I don't use the words revolutionary or iconic even as a joke. I mean it when I say she's the type of person you're going to tell your friends about and say, oh my god, I listened to an interview with her I'm Pretty Smart a few years ago. I really can't wait to see where Emily's calling takes her. This is her story. Let's buckle up, Emily Bear. Welcome to Pretty Smart.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. I'm so excited. It's my first podcast, So your first podcast.
Speaker 1: I want the full story today.
Speaker 2: All right? Yeah, I see all these note cards and I feel like you're very well educated, So I'm excited it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: I cried preparing for your interview.
Speaker 2: Which blows my mind, but it means a lot.
Speaker 1: Why does it flow your mind?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just I feel like I have a very like detached perspective on my life. It's like, yeah, I see everything that I've done, and to me, like it almost doesn't count because I was little. But it does. But it doesn't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's I want to get into that more.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: You said, I always find that when I'm saddest, all I want to do is write music. When I'm happiest, all I want to do is write music. How did music become that outlet for you?
Speaker 2: I honestly don't even remember a time where music wasn't like the biggest part of my life. Yeah, because I started so young, and so I don't I don't know what life looks like without this, So I don't know. But people used to always ask me when I was growing up because as a kid, everyone's like, well, is it fun? And now, as an adult doing this full time as a job, It's like, no, it's not always fun. But in any field that you want to be successful in, it's not gonna always be fun. Like anyone who's at the top of their game in medicine or science or acting or whatever. Like anyone who's there has put so much shit into getting where they are, and it's not always fun. It's gonna be hard, it's gonna be terrible, but you do it because you love it. And I want to do this because I would rather put the blood, sweat and tears into something that I can't live without and something that I love and I'm so passionate about than somebody else.
Speaker 1: You know what, instruments do you play?
Speaker 2: I play piano and I sing, and I can fuck around a little bit on like a couple other that don't even really count because I'm so bad at it. But I write for everything, so I write for orchestra, so I can write for everything, but I can't play everything, if that makes sense?
Speaker 1: Of course, who discovered your talent?
Speaker 2: Like we used to always joke because I have two obviously, I have two grandmas, but one is like a piano teacher and one is a crazy Moroccan. And the crazy Moroccan is the one who like first was like what the fuck is going on with this baby? And she was as a baby as a baby, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Were you doing as a baby?
Speaker 2: I guess I would just like go mess around on the piano when she was watching us when my parents were out of town, and she's like, why is the baby playing the piano? Obviously I don't remember any of this because I was a child, but she was the first one who was like what and I she called my parents while they were on vacation and was like wigging out and my parents were like, I don't know what do you want? Like do what do you want us to do? She's two. Yeah, but then my other grandma, it was it was kind of like found by committee. Incredible because there's videos of me when I was like dressed up for Thanksgiving to go to my grandma's house and I would be like two or three years old, sitting like standing on the piano bench and doing scales.
Speaker 1: Obama called you baby Mozart.
Speaker 2: I have no comment.
Speaker 1: So you were considered a child prodigy. Do you lean into that term or does it make you cringe? Like, how do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: I mean it still makes me cringe a little bit because I hated it so much growing up. I truly hated being called a child prodigy because I feel like a lot of the child prodigies and I think it's it's less now than it was back in the day, but like it was very much like a dancing monkey situation where it was like, wow, look at her hands go like she can play the piano so fast for a five year old, and it was just like very showy, and I hated it, and I always wanted to be taken seriously even from a young age. Plus, I didn't feel like I related to the child prodigy thing. I didn't feel like I was any different from like a kid who was super competitive at soccer and was like traveling all over the world as like you know, in middle school to go on that track. I was just doing it with music, So I just never wanted to be judged based off of like, wow, that's really great for a blank year old instead of like it's just good music.
Speaker 1: I'm going to use the word one more time. I'm sorry to make it.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with it now because I'm kind of proud of my past. I think it's cool, especially now that I feel like I've gotten past the hump of like because I feel like a lot of child prodigies also fizzle out once they become adult, because like the spectacle is gone, so there's nothing left. Like they're just you know, one of a million again instead of like one of a hundred. And honestly, with the Bridgeton thing, I feel like I'd gotten past that hump because I was judged purely based off of work that I was doing as an adult, and no one even knew anything I'd done before, and then they found out later it was like what she was the girl I watched on Ellen, and I was like, that's cool. This is cool. So now I I love my past. I think it obviously has shaped who I am as a musician and a person. Yeah, and I'm proud of it. But like the word prodigy, I'm still.
Speaker 1: Like, so I read about child prodigies to prepare for this interview, okay, and a lot of them said that music flows naturally within It's an intuitive language that they understand even before they grasp technical aspects of it. I kind of compare it to how walking would be for any of us, like we have the instinct to want to walk, even though we don't know how. Other people have described it as a creative force that they channel. Some describe it as a language, and then some just say it's otherworldly, it's mysterious. They don't even know how to describe it. Yeah, how do you think about it? What did it feel like within you?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously I can't really talk about how it felt as a kid, because I don't really remember. But I do think it is kind of like a language. But then sometimes it's also weirdly mysterious, because even now I'll get things that I wrote a couple years ago, and I'm like, how the fuck did I I don't like abiol and I feel the same way too. It's like sometimes we write something and it's flowing and it's like the greatest feeling ever, and then afterwards we're like, how did that have?
Speaker 1: How did it come out of me?
Speaker 2: But I use tools just like we do with language, and like any skill that we have. It's like I have a toolbox that I can pull from and things that I know work. And the more tools you have, the greater the thing you know you can create.
Speaker 1: Do you mean tools like inspiration or like I.
Speaker 2: Mean inspiration, yes, but also like skills. So like I studied a lot and I learned a lot, and I tried really hard growing up to always push forward and always learn more. Because I don't remember who told me this, but it was like a really big mantra for me growing up. Hard work always exceeds talent, So like whatever, Yeah, it's like whatever natural talent I had is only going to last me so long, Like I need to keep learning, wow, otherwise I'm just gonna again fizzle out once the spectacle is gone, and I won't have anything to show for it afterwards, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So I think every great composer has a signature. What's the Emily Bear signature.
Speaker 2: I think that's a TVD thing. I feel like that's something that you acquire over many, many years of writing, and like once you look at a whole body of work, you can like understand what your signature is. I mean, I feel like personally my signature is that, like I I mean one, I love orchestra, so I'll use that in everything, but it's not really a signature. I just love to make people cry, like I love that sweeping you do well with music.
Speaker 1: Because if I like making people cry with my interviews, yeah, like if.
Speaker 2: I make someone feel something so strong that they're moved to tears, then I've done my job. So think about music that I love so much and that always just keeps me going. It's like that feeling when you hit like a peak of a song, or you hear the strings swell and you just feel something and you don't know what that feeling like, I don't know what it is, but like when I hear the strings play like a beautiful note and it's like that climactic part and you're just like, oh my god, this is a feeling that I can't find anywhere else. That's what I love, and I love epic, lush, beautiful soundscape. So maybe that's my signature. I don't know. I feel like someone else has to tell me what my signature is. I can't tell.
Speaker 1: Do you cry when you compose your own music?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, that's weird. I've never thought about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think that's probably your signature. Yeah, you move people to tears.
Speaker 2: I would like to if I have again, I've done my job.
Speaker 1: So there was this amazing documentary about you when you were six years old. So your mom in that doc says, my goal is for her to be happy, to have good values, to have peace in her heart, and to be a really good grown up.
Speaker 2: She my mom. It's funny that you mentioned that quote because last week we were on the phone and she starts cryingcause she's like, remember that thing I used to always say when you were a kid. I feel like it's come true. Like I see everything you're doing in the way you handle yourself and blah blah blah, and it's like I feel like I've done my job and whatever, and I'm like, huh.
Speaker 1: So she like, I know that your mom cared about your dream of music, but in that dock. It seemed like, oh, like she just wanted you to be a good adult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like that was a really important thing for my parents is to like a lot of the times, especially with the child prodigies, it can become a cash grab and it's like, how can we get the most amount of exposure in the quickest amount, like in the quickest time possible before this shit goes away? And that was never our goal. And they kind of, you know, drilled some good values into my brain.
Speaker 1: What were the ways that you think they were the most supportive of you.
Speaker 2: I certainly didn't have like a normal childhood. I moved out when I was sixteen, I graduated high school early. They allowed me to come to LA and like my mom visited a lot more back then. But like they were always really supportive. Like I just if I had been born to different parents with a different circumstance and a different view on like what a life is supposed to look like, I would have never I would never be here.
Speaker 1: Like they were open minded and trusting.
Speaker 2: It sounds they always believed in me, probably a lot more than I believed in myself, And so I think that's a very valuable in Priceless Gift.
Speaker 1: Quincy Jones is your mentor. How old were you when you met him? And how old was he?
Speaker 2: Oh? I don't know how old he was, but I met him when I was like eight, and then he became a very big part of my life. And now he's ninety one, so he.
Speaker 1: Was in his eighties.
Speaker 2: I think he was not eighty yet. I think he was like late seventies, okay, which is crazy because I remember a couple of years ago I was at his birthday party and we were talking about how he's known me for over half my life, and I'm like, that's weird.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because here's the thing I'm watching this doc. You meet Quincy Jones, he quickly wants to become your mentor. You can tell he's in his late seventies. You're eight, yeah, and he is twenty seven Grammys and he produced your CD. He hadn't produced a solo record since Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: It was it was wild, man. I mean I think when I first met him, like I knew who he was and I knew what he had done, but it didn't quite I didn't quite understand, Like I didn't grasp.
Speaker 1: Of course it.
Speaker 2: But again, like his love and passion for the craft of music always shone through, and so like when we would talk, it wasn't like I was talking to a seventy five year old. It was like just two people who loved music. And I think that's why he has such an incredible legacy and why he's decided to to mentor people at his stage of life, Like he doesn't need to be doing this shit, like he he's done, he's done the most, He's done everything any musician could ever want to do. But now he chooses to spend his time helping young people and people that he believes in, you know, yeah, learn about the business and music and everything. So it's just I think people that really truly have passion for their craft, like age doesn't matter, like it just falls away. As I've gotten older, I've heard more stories about Quincy, you know, in Quincy being Quincy.
Speaker 1: But I just but you got a different version.
Speaker 2: I got a different version of him. Yeah, he like he's like my grandpa. Like I don't know how to describe it, Like he was the most paternal, like the most loving and wonderful and generous and kind. Yeah he was. He was great. I like I I cherish my time with him.
Speaker 1: But you said he taught you the most. What did he teach you?
Speaker 2: I mean the amount of time we've spent together. I've heard and have learned so many life lessons and a lot about music. And you know, his stories are incredible. He would nail me CDs and like actual physical copies of revel symphonies that he loved and he wanted me to listen to. And wow, I don't know, it was just I also learned a lot about life.
Speaker 1: In every interview, Quincy talks about your work ethic. It's the first thing he says.
Speaker 2: Means a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the things that I realized is that Quincy was one of the first composers to cross genres. Like before him, it seemed like everybody was sort of siloed into their lane, and you very much do that.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why we like really connected when I was younger, And I'm not claiming to be the first person to cross genres in my field. There's especially nowadays, like, yeah, genres are falling down and everyone is multi genre in my mind, or a lot of people are, because like top forties, not just pop music anymore. It's everything. But I will say that from a very young age, I was really like there were people that did like classical piano, there were people that did Jeff piano, and I just I loved it all, Like there was something that I found satiated a part of me from each thing that I had my foot in, like from you know, sitting with my Cuban drummer in my jazz trio learning Mantuno's to like learning about revel and how you orchestrated something, or you know, there's just I always felt that it was too boring to stay in one lane. So I think I think that's what Quincy felt too, Like.
Speaker 1: You both had an expansiveness, or have an expansiveness, Yeah, because why not? Yeah. So I don't want to take away from your work ethic, because it's clearly incredibly rigorous.
Speaker 2: Anyone successful, I've now realized, has worked fucking hard. I used to think, like, oh, I don't know how much much of it is the artist and how much of it is a team. But like anyone who's at that level, you know, deserves to be there in some way because they've they've put it in one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Who do you look to like when I think hard work? I think Gaga?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in what way? Who do I look to hard work? Like?
Speaker 1: Who do you think about when you think hard work?
Speaker 2: I will say, after being on the Renaissance Stoor, I don't know how she does it? Man, Like she she works so hard and like as a woman and a musician. It is so cool to see the way that she like runs the room and it has a family and mothers her kids and does like she was there before us every day and left after us every day like she. I was like, damn, okay, I get it.
Speaker 1: When you say she runs the room, What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Well, it's just you never know how much someone at that level has their hand and everything, you know. So I really had no idea what to expect. But the vision that she had is so clear, and especially I mean I didn't see her in you know, the costume rooms or the dance rehearsal rooms. But what I did see and is like all of our music rehearsals and all the tech rehearsals, and like she knows exactly what she wants and she knows how to communicate it. And I'm sure that's also like culminating of thirty forty years, you know, working as Beyonce in the industry, but every hit that the band did, every transition was dictated by her. She might not have been the one who was putting the paper to pen, but she knew what she wanted and she was able to communicate it in a way where our mds and all of us understood her and were able to like make it happen.
Speaker 1: You know, I think you're touching on something so interesting that very few people talk about, which is the different languages that you have to speak when you're a boss of anything, because you have to be able to speak to the tech people in their language, to the costume people in their language, to the musicians and their language. Everybody else just has to speak their own language.
Speaker 2: You know. It's so like I wish I could have seen her do the same thing on her first tour, because I wonder, like I would just love to see the difference, because obviously she's had one of the most insane careers of all time, and what I saw during the Renaissance tour is a culmination of everything she learned. Yeah, over the past I don't thirty years I don't know how long she's been working in the industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since she was like nine or its like you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like, on one hand, yes, we need to know all these things, but on the other hand, it takes time. You know, you don't learn everything. Even now, Like looking back on the last couple of years and projects that I've been on for a couple of years, I now know how to deal with things moving forward on the next one. Right, I didn't know. Then.
Speaker 1: Do you keep a list? I keep a list of things I messed up. I don't, but that's actually really good because you forget them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: I have a Google dot called things I Messed up? Oh or ways, I've been have that curse because on the next job you already forgot it.
Speaker 2: No, you're so right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I see this photo of you on Instagram. You have this silver bob.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, whole silver.
Speaker 1: Dress, boots yep, beyonces on top of your piano in her uniform, her costume. You are both so embodied and full in what you're doing and then in sync together. It kind of gives me chills to think about you, especially at such a young age. You've called it a transformative experience, and I know we all talk about Beyonce as like the queen and so like you could just say, oh my god, it was transformative, but how was it actually transformative?
Speaker 2: Like honestly Beyonce aside, I didn't go to college, Like, I've never been surrounded by a bunch of people like around my age that are that creative and you know, are doing the same thing that I'm doing and to be and also like composing. Yes, especially like on a movie like Mulwana, you are part of a huge team and it kind of like the tour kind of reminded me of a movie set. But most of my job is like pretty isolating, yeah, and it's either a me loone in a room or me and Avigail alone in a room. And so I'd never really and I've been on tour before, but it's and I've been on big tours, but it's different at this level, and it's different as an adult. And so to like be with this group of people and travel for eight months and like live an entirely different version of life than I usually do on a day to day basis was like really eye opening for me, and it almost felt like, in a weird way, this is going to sound stupid, like like a college experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where like it doesn't sound stupid at all.
Speaker 2: Yeh know, Like I was just learning a lot about myself. I learned a lot as a musician, Like it was it.
Speaker 1: Did you learn about yourself?
Speaker 2: Me? One thing, I learned a lot about my personality and what I need to be happy. In a way, I'm a much more of an introvert than I thought I was. I need a lot more time to recover than I thought I did. And it's also I was writing Mowana and a couple other things on the road too, and you're kidding. No, it was fun and I have some fun pictures. And before I said yes, well because I got the call for the Beyonce gig, which was so fucking random and like something I never expected to get on like a random Thursday night from who calls you? Okay, Well it's kind of complicated.
Speaker 1: Because it's a great lesson to be learned to, like you never know what person will lead you to what thing is on Quincy Tours.
Speaker 2: When I was sixteen, I became close and me and my family became like friends with a couple of like the tour managers and crew members. And this guy Fred, who's like a dear family friend now, was the tour manager on that tour and has like we've stayed closed for years and he's helping with Bridgerton things like he's been so wonderful. But he worked at Parkwood for many, many years and I was I was doing a show a couple of years ago, and he helped me like put some people together to like run the tech shit. But of course he called all his buddies at Parkwood, and this front of house engineer knew about me, like it was during COVID, so I never actually met about met him in person, but like we were we knew each other sort of. Yeah, but he's been Beyonce's longtime engineer for like twenty something years, and I guess they were looking and they were auditioning people to do my.
Speaker 1: Job for the tour, which is what well.
Speaker 2: I was like they wanted a woman. Yeah, first of all, to play the piano, which she.
Speaker 1: Was like one of the first people to do that.
Speaker 2: This was the first time that I think she didn't have an all female band, but she specifically wanted a woman at the piano and I also musically, like they wanted some virtuosi classical shit, but they also needed someone who could play, you know, all of her music, and they I guess they didn't find what they were looking for, so they called me. And I got a random call from that engineer on Thursday night being like hey, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, and did you have to audition?
Speaker 2: I mean I went in and I, you know, played for everyone.
Speaker 1: What'd you play?
Speaker 2: A bunch of random stuff? They had me learned some stuff on the spot. They I played some crazy classical stuff. I played a wide variety of things.
Speaker 1: How did you feel when you met her in person for the first time.
Speaker 2: People asked me after the tour. On the tour, I was like, oh my god, is it so scary to be with her in front of, you know, fifty thousand people? Like, nothing compares to how scary it was the first time I played for her with like three people in the room. That was scary. That was really scary. So everything after that is not scary.
Speaker 1: That's way scarier to be one on one with Beance for the first time.
Speaker 2: Scar Yeah, But yeah, and then I was already worked. I've been on Mawana for two and a half years, so like I was already on it, and I was like, oh my god, I can't I can't say yes. I have all these other jobs that like I'm contractually obliged to do, and Abby and I hated working on Zoom. We hated it. We would try Zoom and then like ten minutes later, like okay, just come over. Couldn't do it. But I was like, I feel like I can't say no to this. I don't know. Something was telling me that I couldn't say no to it. I wonder what I know, But like at the time, I was like, I can't fuck things up with Disney. Yeah, like that would be really bad and I can't sacrifice that for you know, beyond. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So I also learned how much you could like your capacity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, Honestly, it wasn't I mean it wasn't easy. Like there's some pictures of me which I'm saving for my like happy release Day Moana of like me on the bus home from like a show, like zooming into recording session from Majuana and like all of like I had a Schleppa studio setup and it was a pain in the ass, and the hours were not that fun, especially when you're working us hours in Europe. So like I'd get home from rehearsal or a show at midnight and I have to work till five am. It was it was, It was tough, but it wasn't It wasn't that bad. And I mean when I learned that we can work really.
Speaker 1: Well on Zoom, that's all you stretched yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we were good, So now we can work anymore, which is great.
Speaker 1: But so I read a few fan comments on that photo that I loved to view, and fans called it the best version of Dangerously in Love and their favorite part of the tour. That's like, that's pretty moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to be a part of something that culturally big was wild style.
Speaker 1: Do you think you brought to it?
Speaker 2: I mean, my classical background definitely influenced the way that I played, so especially in that song. It was very like arpeggio and florally and noodlely and just all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you learn anything from her as a performer or did you feel like you learn more from her as a person.
Speaker 2: I learned that I will never be able to shake my ass like that my god, you don't have to, so it's okay. Yeah, no, like, because I at some point want to put out like music for myself, but not in like a I will never be that type of artist. I will never be a like get on stage and I'll be like maybe if it ever happens, if I ever, you know, have the balls to do something, it'll be more like a John Mayer or like Norah Jones esque type situation.
Speaker 1: There's a photo of you on Instagram and you write who says you can't play piano and six inch platforms? And I know you were being cheeky, but I actually felt like it meant something deeper. What were you really saying?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean there's a certain look that you associate with classical pianists, and I'm by no means saying that I am even remotely close to the level of like touring classical pianists anymore. At one point I had the chops. I haven't practiced them a long time because I spend ninety nine percent of my time writing music, but I pull out the classical chops here and there for certain things. And it was this July fourth thing and growing up, my panel teachers are like no nail polish, eah, And they were very much like you can't and to a certain degree there right with heels, you sit differently and so your technique is different. But like, you don't need to not be cute to play the piano. So I always have my nails done and every show that I did growing up, like they would be color coordinated with my outfits because I'm like, there's gonna be cameras on my hands, this is stupid. My nails are gonna be done, and I'm gonna be wearing tall heels because I think they look cute.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of times we strip the femininity away from things, and I just love that you're putting it back in.
Speaker 2: Like the first time that I conducted like an orchestra in a concert hall, I wore dress because like most conductors wear pants, which is fine. I'm not clocking that I love pants. I just I just wanted to wear a dress because I'm like, when did you see like a conductor wearing like a really cool, like designer dress.
Speaker 1: You know completely, I don't know. Well, you've said that your goal is to break the mold for what a composer in the industry looks like and I read that less than two percent of composers scoring films are female. Less than two percent, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's slightly higher now, maybe like five or six.
Speaker 1: But still, why is it so male dominated? And why is it so hard to break into.
Speaker 2: You know, to be a composer. It's interesting and I'm still learning a lot about it. But the relationship between a director and a composer is like this, and it really has been a boys club for a very long time. And I don't really have an answer for you, because I know that there are sick, incredible, talented women composers out there. There's so many of them, and there's I'm not saying that I'm the first either, it's just we don't know that. Like there's been an amazing woman before me, going into the sixties and seventies that have been scoring films, but like, yeah, they somehow just don't get the recognition that they deserve. And I don't know where that is. But even to this day, I'll walk into a room as a composer and I'm like, are you the assistant? Or like me and Abeuiel walked into this busy thing and they thought we were hair and makeup, which is fine, but like.
Speaker 1: The assumption comes from somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, can you name me a female composer?
Speaker 1: No, can you? Yeah, you can name a few female composers. Yeah, but right, but I can name a few male composers. So like the general public can name a few fixed males, I can't.
Speaker 2: I went to go see Barbie at the Hollywood Bowler other day and like, the movie is fine, I actually really liked a lot better this time I saw it, but it was of all women orchestra with a woman conductor, and I had never seen something like that at that level, and for some reason it just immediately ten seconds in, I was bawling in my seat. I'm not a crier like that, Like I don't, I don't do that, but something about seeing all those women out there at that level, I was like, the amount of times that I have been the only girl in the room is like ninety nine point nine percent of the time. Like with Adago now it's really nice because we have each other, but like when I'm scoring movies, in my entire life, I have been the only girl in the room all the time with the bunch of bolder dudes and I'm not saying very bad people. I'm not. It's just to see a room full of women on one of the biggest stages in the world playing to one of the biggest movies in the world was just really moving because I can't even imagine what that feels like for them. I've never been in that situation. I've never been in a room full of all women ever.
Speaker 1: Were you crying because like you yourself had felt lonely?
Speaker 2: I mean, whether we like it or not, like working with a woman feels different, like it just does. It was just really cool to see. And they showed a slide show at the end of all of them when they were young, like with their instruments as babies, and I.
Speaker 1: Was just like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: But what I said during our Grammy speech is how I feel. It's like I don't want to turn this into like a preachy, bullshit moment, Like it's not that we don't exist. We do. Like I could give you the names of a hundred like incredible assistance that are amazing composers that are women. If you go into any of the film scoring, you know, undergraduate programs or graduate programs, there is a lot of women now, which is great, but still we don't see those numbers reflected in the jobs somehow, and so well I said during the speech, still rings true. It's like it's not that we don't exist. It's clear that we do. And why the Bridgeton thing felt so powerful to me, And like awards don't really matter, but like that one really it meant a lot because we were the only two women out of thirty six nominies. We were the youngest ones by far. But like the fact that we were the only woman I don't want to make this a gender thing whatever, but like it's true, like we exist, and the fact that we were able to like force them to listen by using social media and force them to like realize that there are a lot of us out there, it felt it meant a lot.
Speaker 1: I'm going to talk about that in a second cause that moment made me cry too. But you keep mentioning Abigail Yeah and talented women, which she is, so to catch everybody up, Abigail Barlow's a musician and you guys team up as Barlow and Bear Yeah, which is very cool. And you created Bridgerton the unofficial musical. It became a huge sensation. What's an unofficial musical? First of all, well, and how does this come about?
Speaker 2: The whole thing was kind of a happy accident because Abigail and I had met like a year before and randomly someone put us together. I was like, you should write together, okay, And we started like fucking around with this little musical idea. But the more we wrote, the more we're like, wait, this is kind of fun. Like I never thought that I would be writing musical theater and be so passionate about it at this stage of my life. I'm like, oh, like maybe when I'm seventy five and I'm you know, at that stage of my career, I'll write a musical. But we started writing together and I was like, hey, this is great. It's like a living, breathing version of film music, you know. And then the pandemic hit and then we had no jobs and I literally did not get a single gig for like a year and a half, and I was losing my mind and so is Abigail. And this was like post Ratituey the musical like that like had taken over TikTok maybe six months before, I don't know, or a year before, and Bridgington was like blowing up. And I got a random text from Abigail and I being like, what if Bridgeton was a musical And she sent me this like little snippet of a song and I was like, wait, this is good. So then we just started writing it.
Speaker 1: Is it true that you wrote the first song in forty five minutes?
Speaker 2: I mean I added my shit to it in about forty five minutes. Like again, I feel like all creatives when we're writing music, ninety five percent of the time it's excruciatingly painful, and the five percent of maybe not that much, maybe seventy five to twenty five. Yeah, it's like we keep chasing that feeling. When it flows, it's like the best feeling in the world, and you're like, oh my god, it's so amazing to like watch the puzzle pieces come together. And that was just one of the times where it just flowed out of both of us.
Speaker 1: So it took off on social media.
Speaker 2: Well, I was not really a social media girl pre Like I started using TikTok like a few months before, honestly inspired by Abigail because I saw how she was using it, and I started using it to like talk about being a comp whatever, and I had some like the first few my videos go viral and I was like, oh, this is cool. And then I started getting like job interest from TikTok and I'm like interesting. But I was not a social media girl. Yeah, and Abigail had been on social media forever, and so she posted a clip of her singing it, and then it blew up and we're like, we had no jobs, We had nothing going on. So we're like, so you built it out, keep going if it's working. Neither of us we had no plan. We weren't expecting it to like do what it did.
Speaker 1: Wait, I just want to let everyone know what it did. Number one album on the pop charts, number five album on overall worldwide charts, over ten million streams in two weeks, and a top ten Spotify album debut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was wild because there was no We made no money off of it, Like I still don't know how people make money off of us, Like I don't get it. And we put no money into it. Like everything that happened just kind of happened, like I don't even know looking back at it, it was like a fever dream. Even when we put the music out, I was expecting like the first you know, few like really Bridgerton obsessed lovers to listen to it and it would just be like a nice way to commemorate like that time in our life. I was not expecting it to do what it did. I was certainly not expecting it to get nominated for a Grammy. I didn't even know that was like, I didn't, I don't know me, Like, it was just Addie and I, like I produced it and she sang on all the parts and it was just the two of us. Like I was like, there's no way an album of basically like mock up demos is going to be nominated for a Grammy and win one. So the whole thing was fucking crazy. Honestly, it was just it was just insane.
Speaker 1: So you two win the Grammy. Yeah, and you look truly shocked the video, the camera pans to you, and you look so shocked. And the first thing you do is you hug Abigail, and the two of you walk on stage and I started bawling. I was bawling, So I want to hear why you were bawling, But I want to tell you why I cried. You're in this room full of adults, older people, mixed room of men and women, people who have been in the industry for years. Yeah, and you two look so young and so girly in the best way, right, And you walk on stage, and it was like the power of friendship up there, Like, you two were so I get chills thinking about it. You two were so talented individually and it had success, but to come together and win a Grammy was like, that's the power of female friendship.
Speaker 2: No, And it's it's funny because me and Abail started as friends and we're still friends, and we're very, very, very different. Yeah, in almost honestly every way you can tell. Yeah, but like I think we like celebrate each other's differences, and I think our differences is what makes us so good as partners, is because we view music totally differently.
Speaker 1: Why did you cry when you were up there?
Speaker 2: Well, because it was really unexpected and because it was such a like grassroots sort of thing. We're like, this was so out of the realm of possibility for either of us to imagine the fact that it did happen like meant the world and the fact that it happened with only Abigail and I like and we were like, in the back of my mind, I was like, oh, maybe it could, but I was saying, there's no way. We were up against Android Weber and Bob Dylan, all these legendary writers and they all have like, you know, huge teams behind them. Each of the projects had like six seven, eight, nine, ten nominees because these things to a lot of people to work. But then on Abigail and Is it was just us too, And I was just like, we didn't campaign like a lot of people who are nominated for a Grammy or like try to get an award, they like do all this shit to campaign and get voters, and like, we didn't do anything, Like I just I don't know. It was just it was just so crazy and it felt so powerful, because again, awards are nice. We love the validation. At the end of the day, do they change everything for you? Not really? Well, does Grammy pay my rent forever?
Speaker 1: Not really?
Speaker 2: To get an award for something that was like just born out of passion, I don't know, it was it meant a lot.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up envisioning yourself on that stage?
Speaker 2: Every musician grows up Every year you watch the Grammys and you're like, oh, I want to be up there. Oh, that'll be me one day. But there's no way that's ever going to happen. There's no way. So then like it happens and you're like, whoa.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. Yeah, was your mom freaking out? Oh?
Speaker 2: Everyone was freaking out. So they were the first award of the night, and it was like, okay, let's go right in.
Speaker 1: So petty, how do you hope that because it was kind of like this wildly successful experiment. Yeah, how do you hope that it changes the game.
Speaker 2: It's funny because Abigail and I were I was demoing. So when you're in the scoring world, you dip to demo for a lot of jobs, especially when you have no credits and you're a teenager like I was. And I had amazing agents who are still my agents now, and they're like the best of the best, top of their game. And I was going out for all these jobs and I would almost get the job, and I would get it. I would almost get the job and I wouldn't get it, And I like spent almost two years demoing for things that I didn't get and I was like so frustrated, and I feel like I was putting out all this great music and I was going nowhere. And there was one job that I was going for like three months, and it was crazy because you shouldn't have to demo for a job for three months, but I was because I was desperate. And some of these demos also included score and song and I would bring Abigail on and I was like, do you want to write these songs together for this demo and see, like, see what happens. There was this animated TV show for kids that I was going out to be the composer and then Abigail I would have written songs. There was score and songs, and I brought Abagail in and they were like, yeah, you got the job of school. Like I was demoing for three months. I scored animet ix and wrote songs and did score samples and like spent so much time and energy on this, and.
Speaker 1: It was like, how could they not give you the job after all this?
Speaker 2: Well, they said I was getting the job, But then the holidays came around and then they went in different dark they went in a different direction, and that was like a week before Bridgiston blew up. So honestly, it was a Blessing in Disguise, because if I had gotten that job, I would have never sat in a room with Abigail and wrote a fake bridget and musical for four months, So like Blessing in Disguise. But I hope that what happened next with the Bridgerton experience like inspire someone else to show that, like, if they're not giving you the opportunity to show what you can do, you can do it yourself too. Like obviously it's not gonna work every time, Like I don't think if we tried to recreate that whole thing it would work. But it just goes to show that, like you don't always need some you know, fucking studio executive to like take a chance on you and give you the job you can you can do it yourself, Like it's possible now today with social media to do it yourself and force people to listen, which is what I think we were able to do.
Speaker 1: You have to make your own work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean again, I also know how frustrating it can be to like try a bunch of things and have it not work. Yeah, because even now, like I'll have something really work well on social media, but then it won't work again, and then I'm like, I get so discouraged because I'm like, what the point in wasting time and energy and money into something that's not gonna happen? But you never know, like it's the one that you least expect. Did I think that an unofficial, fake Bridgeton musical that was never staged would be the thing that would blow the doors open? And honestly is the reason why we got Muwana and all these other things.
Speaker 1: No at all in those two years when you were demoing and not getting anything, did you ever think maybe this isn't for me?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I yeah, I remember during COVID and this is gonna sound horrible, but I would just like watch people walk to work when I was driving in my car, and I was like, what I would fucking give to like have a job every day and like something to do, because it's great to self start, but it gets really frustrating when like all you're doing is try to create opportunities and then have them that work. And I was just like, maybe this is maybe I should have gone to college. Maybe this was a mistake. I don't know. You go through all the thought because two years is a long time and like there were teeny tiny little winds but nothing that really changed anything.
Speaker 1: I went through a period of like of that too. Yeah, and it actually took me time to recover from it.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah. So it's it's difficult and it's easy to fall back into that headspace because like, yeah, maybe these last few years were great, but like what's next? How like how do I not fall back into that hole? Yeah? But at the same time, now looking back on it, those two years of demoing and writing music and all styles imaginable and Abigail writing all these random ass songs for all these random ass projects like prepared us so well in a way that I can never predicted for what we're doing now.
Speaker 1: You said that people listen to songs every day, but they don't know how they're created. Can you give me a behind the scenes look into what it takes for you to write a great song?
Speaker 2: I need more specificity on like project, and like, are we talking something for like Malana or something for myself as like a more poppy whatever, or like something for like score for a movie, whatever.
Speaker 1: A score for a movie, And give me the details, Like Okay, I get a diet coke and then I like, I want every detail.
Speaker 2: Well, again, it's so project based because each process is so different and how you work with the team and how you get the materials. But I will say almost every single time I get a project, I get excited. I'm like, oh my god, I got the job. Yeah, and then I'm like, oh my god, I don't know how to do this. This is gonna be horrible. I'm gonna fail, I'm gonna get fired. This is gonna be the one that really ends me. Like this is the one, and I like freak out for a minute because that's what you do, and then I start working and then you just you gotta do it, and then it starts coming together and you're like, wait, maybe I got this ababy need to freak out. Maybe everything's okay. And I go through this whole cycle and it happens every time, and people will be like, Emily, you said this last time and you were fine, and I'm like, no, but this is the one. This is the one that I really I don't know how to do this shit like this is this is gonna be the one where, like I really mess things up to the point where I can't come back. But it hasn't happened yet. So I go through that little thing, but once I'm actually in it, it just like I was working on two movies this summer and they were sow Well two movies plus Majana, and they were so different and the processes were so different than how I worked with. The directors were so different that it's almost incomparable. But like, let's say this one Netflix movie that I was talking about a lot on my Instagram, I had like a very traditional, orchestral like celebratory feel for a season that we all love to celebrate. And I before I got the job, and even after I got the job, before I started writing, like I had never written Christmas music before. You know, I don't know. So I just started listening to a bunch of things and watching a bunch of movies that are in the same vein and figuring out what I liked and what I didn't like that people did, and I just you just have to start, and it's like some trial and error. Sometimes you spend six hours on something that is terrible, but then sometimes it just flows. And I usually sit there and I watch the scene and I either start on piano or I start I usually like to start with like a string patch or a lot of times I like, I'll just let the movie play and I'll just sit and muse, and I'll keep it rolling over and over again, and the fear that feels good, Like that feels good, I'll get there and then I'll orchestrate it out. Or sometimes I'll start with a string patch or like a certain instrument that like gets me in the vibe. But how I wrote those two scores is like a lot of movies, even if they have like the Netflix one has a great cast with big people that we all know, and the movie's really well done and it's cute, there's not a lot of budget nowadays, so like I couldn't hire a whole orchestra to record sixty minutes of music because it's too expensive. So a lot of it was just programmed in my studio by me and orchestrated by me, sort of how I did Bridgerton. I had a little more wiggle rooms. I was able to hire a few people. But knowing that I had that constraint, I write in a certain way. If I knew that I was gonna be able to hire an orchestra, I'd write in a different way, but like it just it depends.
Speaker 1: Does that make any sense completely? Okay, how do you feel about the state of pop music right now?
Speaker 2: I think it's great. I'm not a top forty person, I you know, it's just I always lean like a little left of center on like music tastes specifically.
Speaker 1: What does that mean to you? Give me a few names.
Speaker 2: Like I think my favorite artist right now is Yeba, and like she's not like avant garde by any means, but she's definitely not top forty right, you know, but like her artistry and just m she's perfect. I would marry her anyways. I think pop music is having a renaissance right now. Like I'm not gonna say that I love everything that's like super popular right now, but like I love Suprita Garpenter, and I don't usually like a you know, a bubblegum pop princess, but I think her stuff is really great and I think she's really talented. Chapel Roone obviously, like everyone's obsessing over her and for good reason. She's amazing, And I just that there's there's a lot of variety on the market right now. Olivia Dean is like she's not a household name yet like Superta Carpenter, but like she's getten.
Speaker 1: There, what's the most fun you've ever had on a project?
Speaker 2: Luana Too has been the most amazing experience ever. And since it's not out yet, I can't really talk about Scifixed because obviously whatever. But I mean, to even be considered to be a songwriter for a Disney animated movie is crazy, And the fact that we were able to do it and how it came to be is even crazier. So like every time we walk in.
Speaker 1: What do you mean how it came to be?
Speaker 2: Well that we got hired for it, and how it started as a TV show but now as a movie, And I mean, it was crazy, But it's every songwriter's dream, I think, to be able to do what we've been able to do the past couple years. Like I never in a million years thought that we would be given this opportunity. Yeah right now. But Disney has been so wonderful and it has been so cool to work on and it's been so incredible to see the process, and I've to this day I still don't really understand how it's made because the amount of detail and work and love and passion that goes into creating animation at that level is insane.
Speaker 1: As I hear you talking for the last hour, I can tell, like the skill, the hard work is paramount to you. It's clear Quincy felt that way about you too, and I don't want to take anything away from the hard work because it is paramount. But this to me feels like a gift. Also, how do you make sense of it?
Speaker 2: I think I don't, like, I can't really view it like that because to me, it doesn't feel like that.
Speaker 1: Like you don't feel like you've been reincarnated.
Speaker 2: There's people that I'd love to think that I am reincarnated as, but I don't know. Like someone that I think I is a completely different level than I am. But someone who I aspired to be like is Leonard Bernstein. Like I think he's one of the most genius musicians of all time, And yeah, I hope to be like him. But do I think I'm him reincarnated? I don't know. I don't know. I think that's I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is there any drawback to a gift this powerful.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there was a level of like ease that it came to me when I was little and I understand that. And I can't explain that either, Like I don't know why I was playing scales as a two year old and why I loved it so much and I was like making up songs at three, like I don't know. I also don't really remember it. But it's like to have had the journey that I have had and to now like what got me to the place where I am and now so many words. I I mean, I had to sacrifice a lot, Like I can't even like count the amount of times that I missed out on things because I was doing something for this or practicing for that or whatever. But I feel like each each sacrifice and each misstep and each thing that seems really hard on the moment, but now I look back on and was like, Okay, I guess that happened for a reason. Yeah, is all part of the bigger picture. And I try to remind myself of that every day that like hindsight is twenty twenty and everything that sucks now is gonna feel like it was there for a reason, and I went through it for a reason, you know, whether it's six months from now or ten years from now. So like all the shitty parts of my life and all the stuff that I don't want people to see and don't want people to know and I don't want to think about. I think all happened for a reason, yeah, and allowed me to like do what I'm able to do. It's like it's very easy to lose perspective on want like what music can bring people when you're in.
Speaker 1: It, rapid fire, the fun part. Ready, you grace the stages of Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, the Hollywood Bowl. What's the most memorable place you've stepped on stage?
Speaker 2: Mantro Jazz Festival is my favorite place ever, and I'm counting down the days till i can go back, because it's just, oh my god. You're like on Geneva in Switzerland looking out into France. It's beautiful, and this music festival is like there's hundreds of vendors that line like the water, and there's just people everywhere, and there's music everywhere, and it's just beautiful and wonderful and amazing and perfect.
Speaker 1: It's great. Okay, you're making me want to go, Oh my god, you have to go. You're very humble. I want you to lose your humility for one second an accomplishment you're most proud of.
Speaker 2: All Right, scoring my first future film, I was really bad, and I like, I don't know, I think I was just so happy to finally be going through the motions and doing the thing. Yeah that nothing else mattered, I was. It felt like a really huge accomplishment for me because no one my age had ever done that before. I was the youngest person to do it for a movie that came out on streaming. So it just felt very very cool to, like, ay, be given the opportunity and for the director to have taken the chance on me.
Speaker 1: An artist that you don't think we're listening to that we should be.
Speaker 2: Listen. I know a lot of people listen to Yeba, but she is so criminally underrated, Like it's actually it actually blows my mind. I think she is one of the craziest musicians to walk this planet. Also, my friend Lindsay Lomis that girl's crazy, Like, oh my god, just listen to her, saying go look her up on Instagram. She's amazing.
Speaker 1: Sorry, no, don't worry, Okay, song that puts you in a good mood instantly, rich girl. Really I love that. Carol, what's your go to tour.
Speaker 2: Snack pickles.
Speaker 1: I love pickles too. Okay. A book that changed your life, something you think everybody should read Outliers. The smartest decision you've ever.
Speaker 2: Made, getting a dog.
Speaker 1: Okay, last one question everything, open the box, pick a card, any card?
Speaker 2: Do I get to ask you question now?
Speaker 1: No? We can answer together if you want. Okay. Ooh, what's your all time most memorable meal?
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's a good question. Okay. It has to be with Quincy because we were in Japan together on tour and we were sitting We went to this crazy restaurant, you know, Kobe beef. It's like like the most crazy beef whatever. We were sitting at this table and I was like a little fucking child, and we were sitting with all these like world leaders and ambassadors, and Quincy has crazy friends and like the Prince of Dubai, like all these people, and I was just there. I think my whole family was there. But we were having the most insane meal of like the craziest Kobe beef and like all this Japanese delicacies, and I will never forget it. It was wild.
Speaker 1: You know. I think that a great memorable meal is both the people and the food. So I love that you chose that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm like, why am I sitting here talking to like the Swiss diplomat to blah blah blah and like some you know, Saudi royal. I'm like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: Wild Emily, thank you, thank you. Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.