Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm for it.
Speaker 3: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy, you want to be happy for a day? Edith Steak, is that woo woom? And then and tie.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is Ty hilden Brandt joining me is always over there. The man with the plan, Dan Rubensteinzer, how are you.
Speaker 3: I have no plans, I have no instincts about where we go with this show, but I'm very excited for it. I'm good and this is, I guess, for us an unusual show. It is that normally our guest situation is centered in like media pals, and that's not what we're doing with today's show. That is correct.
Speaker 1: We have ditched the normal Friday music the WSV Moniker of only for a week because we wanted to roll out the special solid verbal red carpet for a beast of honor today. Mister Bailey Zappi, you may now be familiar with Bailey Zappi as the starting quarterback from Western Kentucky. He transferred up in the offseason from Houston Baptist. He has since led the nation in yards passing per game. The offense is a flutter down there at Western Kitana, and we wanted to get to know Bailey Zappi and his story a little bit more. So he's going to be coming up here momentarily. We're thrilled we're able to spend some time with them.
Speaker 3: Here are some underlying numbers for how successful Western Kentucky has been. Obviously, he and some teammates a terrific story at Western Kentucky, transferring from Houston Baptist, who have lit up a number of FBS teams, Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech, anybody whose name is Tech. Obviously, this year they played Army Indiana Michigan State. I don't think has anybody scored more than WKU against Michigan State this season. I don't know if anybody scored more than twenty or twenty one other than WKU, who dropped over thirty. So it's just a crazy story. He's leading the name in yardage and I believe touchdown passes, yardage per game, and just a fascinating start. We haven't seen that FCS to FBS come up from a quarterback really in a big successful way, other than Vernon Adams who did the same thing playing against PAC twelve teams when he was at Eastern Washington. So excited to have him on and hear more about his story. And I just mentioned the underlying numbers. It's just all you know. It's Tyson Hilton, obviously the head coach a WKU was at USC with his brother Clay as a coordinator. And just their rushing success rate fifth, passing success rate fourth, They're great on first down, second towns, third downs. They're the number one open play so it's not red zone, not backed up, number one in the nation of just on a regular down being successful as an offense. And that is in large part to the guys that came over from Houston Baptist, including offensive coordinator. So a really cool story, and again I just want to learn more.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: We have the sound, by the way, and the good folks at Conference USA and Western Kentucky heard it and we're like, you want the guy, and we said, yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Need to talk about a potential Heisman campaign. I agree, we need to talk about a thing because it's early enough. We haven't gotten into November yet. If you lay down the markers now mm hmm, you can start gaining some traction.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I want to help however we can. He throws the passes. We have nothing to do with anything, but if we can offer any kind of creative juice, give this thing a little bit of fire. I'm down, I'm down. Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm just thinking. Remember because I hear Homer Simpson in my ears, there was a Simpsons episode where like, think on sexy thoughts, think on sexy thoughts, and then he sees sexy Flanders in like the skin tight skiing apparel. I think my if I had to say to myself, think un sexy thoughts to like stay professional, I might think about Big Red. I might think about the mascot of Western KENTI just picture Big Red, and that'd be impossible.
Speaker 1: You're dying to ask Bailey Zappi about Big Red.
Speaker 3: I've never seen Big Red in person. I need to know. I think it's a fair question. It's a fair question.
Speaker 1: Well, look, if you are tuning in for the first time, I am tie.
Speaker 3: He's Dan.
Speaker 1: We are the Solid Verbal. Go on out to our website at solidverbal dot com. We post all of our episodes out there, three of which go down every week. Monday, Wednesday, and this one on Friday. We also post three articles a week every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Go on out and check out stats that are going to influence the coming week ahead. Also a watch grid that our Frank Connor puts together to help guide you through your Saturday watching arrangement. And then every Friday Bradley puts together a fun colm. This week it is I believe college football Halloween Costumes nice. Please do check that out again at solidverbal dot com. If you like the show, leave a review. If you really want to like the show, and if you really want to be part of the verballerhood, you can go on out to Herballers dot com. That's our patreon. Otherwise, the only other thing that we do we already do so much, but solid Saturday dot com is where you can tune into the live stream that goes down every Saturday morning at eleven am Eastern time on our YouTube channel for free. So going out subscribe and hit the bell and the like button and all the little do hickeys that you can find out there on the YouTube channel, But tune in Saturday morning at eleven am.
Speaker 3: May I offer a quick apology slash correction. Slash retraction, I guess would be the word. Sure, So, just a little bit ago, I conflated Simpsons moments and it was not the Flanders looking sexy. Homer was trying not to think of a woman, and he thought of Barney, of course, his friend from Moe's wearing a bikini. And so that's on me. I apologize, Okay, that's it.
Speaker 1: I know you're a Simpsons fan and that's meaningful to you.
Speaker 3: I hope you can forgive me.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get to our interview with Bailey ZAPPI a couple news items that we need to hit a little harder. We mentioned some of these in passing when we did our preview show. The first of which is Matt Wells was fired. We did allude to it when we talked about the Texas Tech Game this weekend. But Matt Wells fired after like what two and a half seasons ish he had a thirteen and seventeen record. Chris Cleiman I saw his former colleague from Kansas State saying that it was a bad deal for Matt Wells. There are some names now popping up as potential replacements, some of which I think are very interesting. The one that jumped out to me was Sunny Dyke's who sure is good year at SMU. What other names have you seen that are of interest from your standpoint?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a number of names who have succeeded within Texas or the Big Twelve. Obviously Jeff Trailer we've mentioned and his success at UTSA leading the road Runners to a currently undefeated record, and he goes back to his time as a high school coach in the state of Texas. Kendall Briles given his success on the football field, specifically hat Baylor. You know, I saw that Art Brill's name came up and Kirby Hocutt kind of offered a non like denial, which was a little bit odd. I would say Jay Norvel's name has come up. Obviously, what he's done at Nevada has been quite impressive. What other names to you have well stood out? I mean Sounny Dyke, So what he's out at SMU has been very, very strong.
Speaker 1: This is the first coaching search in a while that has a dual sonny feel to it. Yeah, Sonny Comby is the interim coach. He could also get a look.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 1: I don't know how likely that is. But he's a guy who worked in Lubbock for a time, you know, ten years ago as an assistant. He's also very familiar with the state of Texas.
Speaker 3: So I saw Graham Harrell obviously given his success playing for Texas Tech, and we assume to be affinity for the school.
Speaker 1: I saw, did you mention Jeff Grimes?
Speaker 3: Did not mention Jeff Grimes, but certainly given where Baylor's offense and where BYU's offense was, should be considered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Grimes, you would be an interesting move as well.
Speaker 3: Texas Tech, I think is an interesting job. I think people are quick to point out like, oh, it's so far removed, and it's sort of like they're not a have in the way that Texas and Oklahoma, who are obviously now leaving the conference, but that they are sort of you know, Lubbick is a weird place. First of all, the facilities at Texas Tech are really good, right, so, like they invest in this program. Obviously, there's no shortage for lack of caring about football at Texas Tech. It's a different kind of job because it's not near a metro area, but it's in the Big twelve and there's talent in Texas. I think the right guy can succeed on an interesting level at Texas Tech. But yeah, it's not the headline job in the conference. But who even knows what the conference is going to look like moving forward? So I think it's a good job. It's an interesting job.
Speaker 1: It's just another one to the growing list of coaching openings. Who knows how many more there will be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now Matt Wells will be an amazing NFL coach right now that he's been fired by Texas Tech. That's how it works.
Speaker 1: That is how it works. Okay, elsewhere Harrison Bailey once thought to be the crown jewel of the Tennessee recruiting effort that, of course, under their previous coach, Harrison Bailey is now in the transfer portal. At one point, he was the third overall pro quarterback prospect behind dj Uyangilala and CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 1: He was ahead of Ethan Garber's who we saw recently for UCLA.
Speaker 3: Your boy J Butterfield out my gagon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Harrison Bailey was a really highly regarded four star prospect, the top one hundred kid. So the fact that he has decided to move on is significant. He's not the only one entering the transfer portal in limited action for Tennessee it was mixed, but it has been a tumultuous time in Knoxville. What other names are out there with regard to the poor right now?
Speaker 3: First of all, I like that you refer to Jeremy Pruitt as the previous coach, as if he didn't as if you have something against him, or it's a he's been vacated, yeah, or it's a Techmos super Bowl like where we don't have the rights to say his name. So he's QB Eagles. There's a five star offensive tackle at Oregon Kingsley Swamatia Taia that he decided to leave. It looks like he is. It looks like BYU he's from the state of Utah and so hopefully that's a good fit for him. LSU lost a couple of guys, a receiver and a linebacker, who were relatively highly ranked, and understandably so. When their coaching changes, when their system changes, and relationship changes between position coaches, whatever, sometimes you just want to go somewhere where you feel more comfortable. And I think that's the case as we look across the sport. I saw that Wisconsin got a commitment from a former Michigan state corner. Wisconsin has lost more guys, it seems the transfer portal this season than usual. You know, as you look at Wisconsin over the years, it's just like there's guys that just year have over year. It's just juniors and senior starting that they've been in the program for so long. So some changes there, but you know, by and large, I haven't seen anything enormous, enormous in terms of like a proven, proven player like AJ Davis from pitt entered the portal running back who's played a good, good amount for the Panthers, but now no clear stars of the future like a Bailey's appy type for instances, a Bailey's appy type who entered the portal and had interest by the way, from bigger schools than WKU. I imagine they were like, we watch you for depth, and I was like, I want to play. And that's how it's taking out at WKU, working out swimmingly, as you said, setting the offense a flutter.
Speaker 1: I believe that's accurate, Dan, thank you. And finally, last, but certainly not least, before we get to our guest of honor. Did you see what went down with Mike Tomlin. Yeah, just awesome, just awesome. So here's what's going on. USC has a very high profile opening. Carson Palmer, native son of the USC football program, went on The Dan Patrick Show. And it's been labeled a couple different ways, but Carson Palmer's been involved to some degree with the search. He says he's been involved to whatever extent they've allowed him to be evolved, So make of that what you will. He trotted out four names as potentials. James Franklin because James Franklin's in the hunt for everything these days.
Speaker 3: Matt Campbell or wins over Illinois.
Speaker 1: Con for wins over Illinois, thank you.
Speaker 3: He was in the hunt. He was in the hunt to be fair.
Speaker 1: Matt Campbell from Iowa State. No surprise there, Luke Fickle. His connection to new USC athletic director Mike Boone is well known at this point, so it's not any great surprise. And then he said Mike Tomlin, Yeah, And in the football media world, Mike Tomlin was like, whoa, Okay, this is where did this come from? It's out of left field. Would he potentially think of leaving the Steelers? Guys want a super Bowl. That would be a coup. Any tea would want Mike Tomlin. So naturally they asked Mike Tomlin about it. Yea quote, Hey, guys, I don't have time for that speculation.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a joke to me.
Speaker 1: I got one of the best jobs in all of professional sport. Why would I have any interest in college football? Great question? Answers a question with a question, He goes further. Quote, this will be the last time that I address it, not only today, but moving forward. Never say never, but never. Okay, anybody else got questions about any other college jobs. There's not a booster with a big enough blank check end quote.
Speaker 3: I think he put it to bed. He did say, but never, but never.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike Tomlin probably not going to get that USC job.
Speaker 3: No, No, I don't think so. You know, it's probably just a case of USC somebody at USC, you know, doing due diligence, searching, vetting, whatever, knows Mike Tomlin's agent or knows somebody connected to Mike tom and be like, should we kick the tires? And Carson Potter like, it's probably a game of telephone that got to Carson Palmer and it went from like we should kick the tires to see if he's interested in maybe doing college instead of pro and by the time it got to Carson Palmer, it was like, there's a Mike Tomlin conversation and it seems ridiculous. It does seem ridiculous. USC is a very good job. It will attract interesting names. Obviously, it has not been a job that has been filled from a national search, and not accurately, but at all, right, it's been Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian and Clay Hilton these past few years, it's been USC, guys. I imagine the scope of this search will be wider, that the net that will be cast will be wider, and many more names than you usual will be involved. I just I don't have a lean. I would imagine James Franklin is probably the most realistic. Deep conversations are being had at some point name in this process. But yeah, you know, they're not going to hire Norm Chow.
Speaker 1: Like like Colin, he seemed offended by it. If you saw his response, he did not. He did not appreciate, He did not take it as a compliment that he was being considered or being mentioned for a.
Speaker 3: College now and it's it's going to be a fascinating search, as will LSU as well Texas Tech obviously there there are schools all over and it's it's an interesting and I think Ross Ellinger wrote about this for SI. It's an interesting time in coach firing with many more coaches being lego early and now you say to yourself, well, so that they have more time for the search, but also you want to get somebody in there as early as possible with the early signing period now becoming the signing period in mental December, and so that's increasingly tricky as coaches that are in demand are taking their teams to January Bowl games by and large. So it's I don't know, it's it leaves a lot of teams and programs and recruiting departments sort of in the lurch with the uncertainty firing them this you know, quickly into the season. But man, I don't know. It's I just I can't wait to see that the twists and turns.
Speaker 1: Without further Ado, Dan, can you please play that Bailey Zappi sound one more time. His name is Bailey Zappi. He is the starting quarterback for the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers setting the world on fire. Bailey, Welcome to the soliverbal How are.
Speaker 2: You you do?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Talk me through this last like year and a half. For you whatever it's been like, it has to be a whirlwind for you, is it not?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent?
Speaker 4: My life has changed completely, you know, going from you know, hbut here in that whole process and you know, coming here and being able to do what we've been able to do has been awesome to see.
Speaker 2: And you know it's been you know the best decision of my life, you know, coming here.
Speaker 4: And I'm really grateful that, you know, Coach Helton gave me and you know Coach kit Lee and the Stearns and Ben Ratz laugh, you know, a chance to come here and be a part of the program.
Speaker 3: So talk us through that process.
Speaker 1: Because you mentioned coach Helton went out, He brought you guys over from HBU via the transfer portal. He brought a lot of you over that doesn't typically happen, like he pretty much brought the whole offense. So what was exactly that workflow? How did that go down? Did Coach Kittley make the move first and then recruit the rest of you talk us through the mechanics of that.
Speaker 4: So of course, you know all the NCAA rules, Coach Keilly really couldn't talk to us once he like signed the doted line or whatever idea was gonna be the o C here. So I think majority of it was just between you know, me, the Startings and Rats Lab all of us just talking to me like, hey, you know, we we would like to stay with coach Kittley. You know, Chrich Kitley has really helped, you know, change all of our careers around.
Speaker 2: So that kind of played a huge part into it.
Speaker 4: And then you know, for me solely, you know, talking to my family and everything is.
Speaker 2: When Kittley left, I figured, you.
Speaker 4: Know, if I was going to learn a new offense like I was at HBU, I would like to transfer and go to somewhere that's a you know, a bigger, bigger school, better opportunity. And if I was going to learn a new offense, I want to do it at be a school or follow Kittlee at Western Kentucky. So that kind of played into why I, you know, went into the transfer portal. And then of course, you know a lot of that I wasn't talking to kit Lee, of course because all the NCAA rules. But he was actually the first one to call me at ain't thirty in the morning when I.
Speaker 2: Was still sleep and I was in the transfer portal and I was sleep and he.
Speaker 4: Was like, hey, what are you doing? And I was like, I'm sleeping. Why are you calling me? And I was like, you can't call me and he was like, well, you're in the transferport now, so WK is offering you. And I was like, okay, that's but you know it's I think majority of it was just between me and the Starns and Rass laugh.
Speaker 2: You know, we all we all wanted to stick together. You know.
Speaker 4: Of course everybody sees me and you know Jared's connection, so that's really paid off, you know, us following each other here and you know, it's been a blessing and we're extremely grateful for it.
Speaker 1: What was that a hard decision to go into the transfer portal because you had been at HBU for a while.
Speaker 4: It was kind of difficult, you know, because it's been like home, Like you said, it's been my home for four years. You know, I was an hour and a half from my family and I could drive home on a Saturday, come back on a Sunday, so I was able to see them a lot more than I am now. So a lot of that stuff went into play. But you know, it's you know, it's a life changing situation to come here and play here at the FBS level a big better opportunity. You know, we all have hopes and dreams of going in the NFL, and you know, come in here and playing here, you know it gives you a better opportunity to do that and showcase your talents. And you know that's what you know, really, you know, helped me make that decision.
Speaker 2: And I said.
Speaker 3: I'm thankful for people now know who you are, Bailey, and you've you've thrown for a tonnage of yards and touchdowns both at HBU and at WKU against really large programs at both schools. Obviously you got a lot of attention for what you did against Texas Tech a couple of years ago, and this year of course, you know, playing against Michigan State for example, obviously had had a really nice game that didn't work out for WKU. I'm sure as the way you would have liked. But my question to you is where did you come from in that, in that, and I mean this is a compliment. I mean this is a compliment because a number of top quarterbacks who have succeeded in college for whatever reason, don't get recruited heavily. You know, obviously there are the stories about like Aaron Rodgers, right he had a late growth spurt, or guys who had injuries their junior years and they don't get recruited, or guys who transfer or for whatever reason sort of fly under the radar. It looks like, if the stats are right, you had something like fifty two touchdowns as a senior in high school. Were you five foot three? What happened where that you were not? Because you're in Texas, You're not terribly far from Houston or San Antonio relatively speaking. Why did you fly under the radar? Why was the attention not on you?
Speaker 4: Well, believe it or not. Even though I'm six', one many schools told me THAT i was too. Short, Okay i've had multiple look being on and be, like, well if you were an inch or too, TALL i read off for you right.
Speaker 2: Now but you're, not so we're gonna go with this, guy Right.
Speaker 4: And Then i'm from a small, Town, Victoria, texas bottom Of. Texas we have sixty five thousand, people SO i mean it's not a huge, city so you, know it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of in the middle of.
Speaker 4: Nowhere not a lot of people make their way down their recruiting. Wise you, KNOW i was actually my, class we had about two or three guys go you, know played college. Football we were only actually the first class that actually was able to get recruited down. There okayo players to get, Recruited so we were kind of like the start of it. All so we really didn't get a lot of, looks you, know as we would if we're at a bigger school Up North, texas like in The dallas Or houston.
Speaker 2: Area SO i think that played a huge part in, it just being In.
Speaker 4: Victoria and then of, course you, know not being the prototypical six four or six five, guy WHICH i think a lot of people are starting to straight away from now as you see guys like you, Know Baker, Mayfield Kyler, murray guys like that in a field balling. Home SO i think that's kind of the main reasons Why.
Speaker 3: Okay fair, enough and did you look up to, anybody because obviously the transfer portal is a relatively new. Thing there haven't been a ton of quarterbacks that have made the move FROM fcs TO fbs who have really lit it. Up one of, them, though Was Vernon, adams who Goes Eastern washington To. Oregon was he or was there any any budyho said that you saw that sort of gave you the confidence to, say you know, What I've i've played well AGAINST fbs, teams Against power five. Teams this is this is the. Blueprint this is WHERE i THINK i can. Shine did you look at any of that or did you look at yourself as, like you know, what nobody has really done it all that, Often i'm gonna give it a. SHOT i think it was more of, that.
Speaker 2: You, know just kind of believing.
Speaker 4: Myself and you, know after playing those last four games this past year against you, know THREE fbs, schools two of them being actually in the conference.
Speaker 2: Essay you, know just being able to do what we did AT.
Speaker 4: Fcs school against those, teams you know kind of gave, us you, know not, me but you, know starting To Ben, ratsoff guys that also transferred FROM fbs TO fbs the confidence needed to you, know make that. Jump AND i think a lot of, that you, know came from you, know talking to Coach Kittlee wallas in the, portal getting his, insight getting his feedback on what he. Thinks you, Know i've you, KNOW i really look up to him, especially AND i listened to him a. Lot Know I'm i'm you, know grateful to have him as a, coach and you, KNOW i listened to him a lot through that process and believed in him and believed in. Myself AND i think that's, what you, know helped.
Speaker 2: Me make this.
Speaker 3: Jump what's been the biggest, Difference what's been the biggest? Adjustment obviously from the outside looking, in it seems like the adjustment and the the change has been a pretty successful. One what what has been the new? THING i guess besides they're not being A cvs on the field like there was A Houston baptist.
Speaker 2: Having two sides to the. Stadium yeah that, too.
Speaker 4: Yep of, course you know everybody, says you, know speed of the, game especially going to Play Indiana Michigan state and you're out there and you're playing against guys that you know could possibly go first second, round and you're out there Like holy cow was last YEAR i was playing a F cs And i'm playing against the first second.
Speaker 2: ROUNDERS i guess speed my game. UP i guess be what?
Speaker 4: Up WHAT i do? Up SO i think that's what you, know jumping from high school TO, fcs in AN FCS, FBS i think that's what you know has been the biggest, difference just to be the, game.
Speaker 2: Not really all act can.
Speaker 1: Think, Of, billy where do you put some of WHAT i would imagine is anfl, interest you, know coming FROM, hbu now you've gotten much more of the, spotlight leading the nation in yards per. Game from a passing, standpoint you have your coach saying that you're the best that he's ever coached at the. Position and this is a guy who Coached Sam darnold before much to the point of it being a. Whirlwind how are you dealing with maybe that influx of, attention.
Speaker 4: You, Know i'm embracing, it you, know goming from you, know being underrecruited and, everything not getting that. Stuff you, know it's kind of you, know you kind of enjoy, it you, know seeing seeing your, name all, stuff seeing you, Know jared's, name all, stuff kind of coming from you, know not being the most looked at guys at you know in high school or AT hbu and got to see, names watch them.
Speaker 2: And stuff like, that and we talk about all the, time you know how cool it, is you, know be doing it.
Speaker 4: Together and then you, know seeing What Coach shelton to say about, us you, know we were grateful For Coach shelton and what he says about, us and you, know giving giving us that.
Speaker 2: Attention you, know both.
Speaker 4: Of our dreams and my, dreams you, know SINCE i was five years old WHERE i began playing football is to make it to THE.
Speaker 2: Nfl and that's been my dream since.
Speaker 4: Then and to be able to be in this situation where you know it's kind of at arms reach of being able to go to that next level was you, know it's amazing and you know it's something THAT i can't describe, personally AND i.
Speaker 2: Really look forward to.
Speaker 4: That but we but as we all, know you, KNOW i we still have five or actually seven games left if we continue to, win and you, know that's the.
Speaker 2: Most important thing in my mind right.
Speaker 4: Now you, know when the time comes and you know THE nfl is, Knocking i'll be.
Speaker 3: Ready who was your team growing?
Speaker 1: Up BECAUSE i looked Up victoria on the Map i've seen some notable, Natives Stone, Cold Steve, Austin Cowboy. Troy there's a whole number of, people so it's kind of like a budding pop culture, hotbed if you. Will as you, say in the middle of, Nowhere. Texas but you can make a case for The. Cowboys you're In, texas you're within the stone's throw Of, houston The, saints you're near The gulf Of. Mexico who is your? Team actually neither of.
Speaker 4: THOSE i wasn't actually a team. GUY i was more quarterback. Guy except that's the only POSITION i ever. Played to be honest with, YOU i haven't played defense SINCE i was five years old my, Life SO i was actually a peyton manning.
Speaker 1: Guy, OKAY i had you, know the.
Speaker 4: Fatthead stickers on the, walls you, KNOW i had the PEYTON i, MEAN i had it. All so we would actually go to The Colts texans game WHEN i was In houston every year whenever it was. So and then WHEN i, realized of COURSE i wasn't even be, six kind of changed. Up you know WHO i looked at or as a you, know a role model type of the, quarterback and you, KNOW i started doing a lot Of Drew brees studying And Drew brees a lot and you know kind of what he, Does so you, know it really WASN'T i really don't have a team a kind of a bandwagon of. Quarterbacks like now It's Tom. BRADY i, mean you can't Like Tom. Brady so it's just a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Guy so how how do, you maybe as a young kid playing, football maybe as an older kid playing higher level, football how do you try to Incorporate Peyton manning's game into your, Own Drew brees's game into your, Own Tom brady's game into your? Own like how are you breaking them? Down and what are you doing to try and pull in some of the facets of their.
Speaker 4: Game, so speaking On Drew, BREES i think a lot of him is we all see as. MECHANICS i mean he's mechanically. SOUNDED i mean everything he does is so smooth and so like.
Speaker 2: PERFECT i mean everything he does is perfect mechanical. Wise AND i think that's a lot of WHAT i look.
Speaker 4: At as, well you, know being almost the same high as he is and being able to see over the.
Speaker 2: Line you, know it's a lot WHAT i look at as.
Speaker 4: Well and the accuracy From Drew brees as, well is probably one of the best to ever you, know step on THE nfl. Field and then you, know between all those, guys they all have one thing in, common and that's. LEADERSHIP i, mean they all have been able to lead their teams and make the guys around them. Better and you, know preparation stuff like that is a lot of things THAT i look, at and.
Speaker 2: Those three guys prepare their butts.
Speaker 4: OFF i, mean they they're able, to you, know understand the defense before the defense even knows what they're. Doing AND i think that's what you, KNOW i would like to start. Doing that's What i've tried to do a lot more, now a lot of pre snap reading before the ball, snapped trying to see what the defense is in before the ball, stamper before they start, rolling and stuff like.
Speaker 2: That AND i think that a.
Speaker 4: Lot that helps us out a lot, too is being able to see that and check in and out.
Speaker 2: Of place as.
Speaker 3: Well how long did it take you to get comfortable AT. Wku obviously you're familiar with your old coach FROM, hbu but how long does it take even with the familiarity with, receivers it's a new offensive, line it's new, facilities, right it's a new, schedule it's a new. Campus how long does it take you to get comfortable because you're coming in at the most important position for a team that is playing on a new. Level was it? Immediate was there a learning? Process what was that learning? Curve?
Speaker 4: Like it was actually a lot quicker than you, KNOW i personally always, thought as, well you, know everybody welcomed me with open, arms.
Speaker 2: The, players you, know, coaches training, staff.
Speaker 4: Everybody, ACTUALLY i think the second day HERE i was already outside on the field thrown with the. Receivers, SO i, mean it was kind of a quick process of you, know building that connection and building that camaraderie between you, know me and.
Speaker 2: Everybody and.
Speaker 4: You, know Like I've i've, said you, know we've had team meetings and stuff like. That you, Know i've sat in front of, everybody and you, Know i'm grateful the way they've you, know welcomed, me they brought me into, ad you, know is kind of just a smooth transition from you, know going to or going TO hpu and coming.
Speaker 2: Here you, KNOW i love it here AND i Wish i'll see here more than one. Year so you, know it was honestly a great. Transition you, KNOW i love my.
Speaker 4: TEAMMATES i love the way they've you, know welcomed me, here and you know it's been.
Speaker 3: Awesome so you talk about how everybody has embraced you and how the transition has been. Smooth we are now in a, bright shiny new era of nil, name image. Likeness have you had? Opportunities do you want? Opportunities sponsorship opportunities right because you're you're in this spotlight and maybe not even just for, you and your offensive, line you and your receivers is? There you? Know is it a restaurant? Thing is it an apparel? Thing like we're Talking Bailey's appy the? Brand what what are we talking? LIKE i Know fruit of The loom is based In Bowling. GREEN i know. THAT i don't know if you're A fruit of The loom. GUY i don't. KNOW i Don't Russell, athletic you know all that's In Bowling green as. WELL i don't know if there are. RESTAURANTS i don't. Know what is your dream situation in terms of taking advantage now for yourself or your teammates with regard to UH a. Sponsorship here you have the floor, chick Fil, A chick, Choice, Yeah chick.
Speaker 2: Fil, A i would. Everybody I'm i'm solely with.
Speaker 3: Forever what is your order.
Speaker 2: DEPEND i go over there for, breakfast, breakfast, lunch and, dinner SO i mean it changes.
Speaker 1: Time how would you power rank the, sauces because that's a. Question we get a Lot chick Fil a sauce number one, okay, okay and Then.
Speaker 2: Bawnesian, WOW i like. It, Yeah Buffalo saucer or any of the.
Speaker 4: Others that's the main, TOO i. GET i get The Baesian chick Fil a sauce and the. Ketchup that's ALL i.
Speaker 2: GET i don't know any other on any.
Speaker 3: Drinks, shakes, tea what what is the drink selection for? You i'm really trying To i'm trying to speak To chick Fil a with this one as. Well sweet.
Speaker 4: Tea that's THE i get everywhere, too so sweet. Tea and then you, know the vanilla shakes there are amazing, TOO a great with, those.
Speaker 3: Man they're not a solid verbal. Sponsor they could be on me For Baileys happy absolutely.
Speaker 2: Just for.
Speaker 3: Me tie. YOU i think you've been curious About bailey's interests outside of, football not necessarily About chick Fil, A BUT i mean there are other big brands tie, right.
Speaker 1: There Are really What i'm interested in is try to craft A heisman campaign for. You And i'm wondering if If western has done anything akin to you, know coming up with like bumper, stickers, slogans songs like has anybody tried anything?
Speaker 3: Yet BECAUSE i have. Ideas what About Top gun with two p's right for the, toppers he's got a cannon for an. ARM i just came up with. That that's, good that's actually Quite take, that please have?
Speaker 2: It That Top GUN.
Speaker 3: Ti, drafting we're, experimenting we're braving. One that's. True they Got they haven't released that, yet have. They now it's been a long, Time like the trailer came, out it felt like two years. Ago so you would embrace A heisman, campaign Especially Top gun with two.
Speaker 2: P's, OKAY i like.
Speaker 1: THIS i had what did a workshop? HERE i Had Sweet Sassy, mozappi WHICH i that's not as good as top that's not. Great that's not good life liberty and pursuit of. ZAPPINESS i don't hate, it but it's. Long you could if there's a music department At, western you could rewrite happy By.
Speaker 3: Farrell Oh, Zapy, yeah that would.
Speaker 1: WORK i also jotted Down Zappi khakis in the w K U team, store WHICH i don't know if that's a, thing And Zappi. Taffy you are close to The gulf Of, mexico so maybe there's a saltwater taffy brand that would. Work BUT i do like top Gun. Dan that's WHAT i think is the. Move, YEAH i think is the.
Speaker 3: MOVE I i did notice on The instagram he's a bit of a, hunter LIKE i JUST i don't. KNOW i think we can lock this. In we don't have much, time so we got to get the athletic department on. It we got to Get Jared stearns some sort of attention on there as, well your number one receiver who's up over a thousand yards like. TY i THINK i think we have. IT i think we got to get somebody On, photoshop and we got to get The we got to get the flyers and the postcards.
Speaker 4: Out.
Speaker 3: YEAH i like. It Bailey's appy has a few more games, left of, course culminating with a couple of tough, ones especially tough ones With fau And. Marshall anything else that you want people to know about THE wku, offense the journey that you've been on and uh in your season thus, FAR.
Speaker 2: I mean none really just you, know we have ours five or seven games. LEFT i think we're only just getting.
Speaker 4: STARTED i don't think we've played our best game, yet to be honest with, You and.
Speaker 2: That's kind of. SCARY i, mean we've been able to put some crazy.
Speaker 4: Numbers up and and we've we've had a lot of mistakes in those. Games AND i think if we're able to clean that stuff, UP i think there's nobody and you, know and our next few games that can really stop.
Speaker 2: Us on the offensive.
Speaker 4: Side and you, know with the way the defense is starting to you, know play as, WELL i think we're a pretty dangerous. Team and you, Know i'm excited AND i, think you, know we have a real shot at you, know getting us that you, know conference championship.
Speaker 3: RING i actually DO ty have one more? Question Big red up, close strange. ENCOURAGING i was gonna, say, like is it? Distracting like you're trying to lock, In you're, like oh my, god they and cover three and like then you See Big red on the. Sidelines is it take you out of? It what is what is the mood there when you see Big Red.
Speaker 2: NOW i just kind of try to ignore.
Speaker 4: It WHEN i first got my entire family was, like did you know you have a big red blob as a? MASCOT i was, like, what there's just a big red. Blob it walks, around but the old, one, right it would just just eat.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 4: Correct I'm i'm going from a, Husky so the mascots are totally two.
Speaker 3: Different, yeah like an off brand hershey? Kiss, yeah all, right that's ALL i. Have that's the best point to end. It do you know that you have a big red blob for a?
Speaker 1: Mascot big, Blob Bailey, zavi it's a pleasure to speak with. You we wish you and your team nothing but continued success and will continue following your story. Man best of.
Speaker 2: Luck, yes, sir thank you for having.
Speaker 1: Me Alrighty, Dan there he Is Bailey, zappi starting quarterback for The Western Kentucky. Hilltoppers you did get the question in about Big. RED i appreciate.
Speaker 3: That did you know you're going from a husky to a big red? Blob it's a good way to think about. It it's a good WAY i was looking. IN i went on yelp AND i looked for the food spots that looked the best In Bowling, green AND i thought to, myself, well this isn't a, huge huge. Place how there were really good looking places to. Eat but he dropped a national because he's shooting high for his, nil SO i respect. IT i respect it as.
Speaker 1: Well his story has been a ton of fun for us to follow From. Afar we will clearly be following it much more closely now having met with the.
Speaker 3: Gentleman, yeah fearless dude by the, way with the football in his. HANDS i don't know how MUCH i know you've watched SOME, wku especially in preparation for. This like the word gunslinger is, overused but his mentality is balls out. Quick i'm going, downfield AND i just have every confidence in my, receivers LIKE i. Love like he threw a couple of absolute dimes Against Michigan, state like that he just didn't care who he was, playing which is an unreal mentality given the smaller stature of his background OF. Hbu but just crazy. Impressive and you can see why the numbers are gaudy this.
Speaker 1: Year and he has absolutely dusted some defenders on like a quarter, pump fake, yes just a. Flint it's not even a pump fake.
Speaker 3: Right but maybe that's The Peyton manning. Ty maybe it.
Speaker 1: Is i've seen countless highlights of a guy burning a defender on an out and up or just a stutter step combined with that little pump and Suddenly bailey's got a touchdown or a long. Game so, yeah, look it's great to have him on the. Show we appreciate everybody From CONFERENCE usa And Western kentucky making that. HAPPEN i love the Top, Gun thank, You heisman candidacy. IDEA i love that we came up with that on the, fly AND i hope that we will see it soon somewhere on social. Media, yeah it's a free idea That Western kentucky can.
Speaker 3: Take run with, it run with, it all. RIGHT i was trying to like fly into what The bailey z. OWN i don't. Know we got to come up with something there, too but like a, tagline we need the top gun. Tagline what's the name of the new? One Just. MAVERICK i think It's.
Speaker 1: Maverick, yeah, yeah all, right that works for. Me on that, note we appreciate our guest of honor, Today BAILEY zappi check him out this weekend squaring off Against. Charlotte hopefully he has continued. Success check out our website at solid verbal dot. Com check out our live stream tomorrow At Solid saturday dot. Com and if you're a super verbaler and you want to know more about the bonus features that we have to, offer go on out to verbalers dot. Com that's V E R B A L l e r s dot. Com as you're watching the games On, saturday if you got something to get off your, chest give us a phone call on the. Reverbline it is four oh Eight verbal one four zero eight eight three seven two two five. One we will cut all of those voice, messages or most of those voice messages together into about a four minute clip and we will play them as part of our weekly recap, show a little segment WHAT i call the reverb Stand, yes.
Speaker 3: SIR i think that's ALL i.
Speaker 1: Got that's ALL i have for that guy over, there my good Friend Dan, rubinstein for, Myself ty hilde A. Brand we will talk to you all after week. Nine stay, Solid, yes