Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, the.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers podcast. This is your roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and beyond, harnessing the power of Bloomberg data.
Speaker 3: Now, let's look at some stocks on the move today in Europe. We're joined by Bloomberg's at Markets Today, editor Sam On said, good morning Sam, So he throw it's closing for the entire day until midnight tonight. The market reaction to this.
Speaker 4: So the main market reaction we're seeing is in IAG shares. So i aged, the owner of British Airways, he throw their home base. So it's a very major disruption. Remember they also own Iberia Air, Lingus and a couple of a couple of budget airlines as well, so it's a really significant disruption for them. In terms of the other market reaction actually has been relatively you know small, and there's a little bit of you know, easyjets moved to He's moved with IAG in particular. The Jeffrey's out this morning saying that the earnings for FAG may well take a hit one to three percent because of compensation costs. Because often even though you could probably make a pretty strong argument this is not necessarily the airline's fault that this is happening. They tend to bear the brunt of those compensation costs and that could hit their earnings. And for a g you know, been on a very good run and at the start of this year that's been dented a bit, and this is another dent in their armor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, and it's worth remembering that it's not just the flights that are to and from London, it's the connections of the huge part of their business as well, which is why the airline network for that company is particularly vulnerable to disruptions as heat throw. And let's turn it next to a share in Germany, the perfume maker Douglas. What's going on there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, quite a hefty drop there. So they were down, as I got up from my desk, about twenty percent, down to half their IPO price. Now, so it's actually a relatively recent IPO in Germany and has not been performing particularly well. Most of that is down to a consumer slowdown in France and Germany. They're two key markets. And yeah, there shares an enormous amount of pressure and as I say, in particular, you know, this is one the companies that when they listed, this was held up as an example of a little bit of a bounce back in European IPOs. It was quite a significant IPI. I think it's about eight billion euros they were valued at when they first listed. They're at about half that now. So not a great story for Germany's consumer market there. Okay, it's Friday. Let's talk pubs, shall we.
Speaker 3: How is a Weatherspoons doing in terms of the rising labor costs? Because we're in March. The increase in minimum wage is going to come into force at the beginning of April. This was announced in October, so companies have had some time to think about it, maybe to plan for it. But it is obviously those industries where they have perhaps you know, minimum wage workers the most that will be affected badly.
Speaker 4: What about Weatherspoons, Yeah, and quite a significant effect for them. So very labor intensive industry, right, So costs are going up kind of across the whole industry. But Weatherspoons, remember, is to operates at the cheaper end of the market, right, so they tend to operate at lower margins than some of the pubs that you know, more premium pubs. They have a statement in there today sixty million pounds of extra costs, so not just the national living wage but also the employer's national insurance contributions as well. That translates for them to fifteen hundred pounds per week per pub. So it's quite a significant increase in costs for them and that is likely to weigh on their marches and more so for them, as I say, because they operate at that lower price point and so consumer weakening there, you know, a big squeeze on Weatherspoons.
Speaker 1: And this was coming after what was quite a strong festive season, end of year season for pub groups in the UK, and that a lass just looking at HSBC being reasonably bullish on pubs and a note they put out last month because the sales were good. But now it's the cast they're coming into focus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well well I think actually you know, actually even in Weatherspoons' is report today, so the main focus and the reason their shares are downe and I think they've dropped it again when I got up about twelve percent, actually hitting a two year low for them. In particular they offsetting it becomes much more difficult because they operate at that lower price point, right, Their margins are the focus today, but actually their sales too have picked up a bit so from the first half. Over the course of the last sort of eight to ten weeks, Life forlike sales growth has actually increased a little bit. So sales are going very well, and that's probably the same across the industry. But for Weatherspoons, the margins are becoming a much bigger concern.
Speaker 2: The Stockmovers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Atto with the Bloomberg Business app.