Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Prime Day is in full swing. We are stretching now over four days this year, up from two and twenty twenty four. That it remains to be seen whether that will entice shoppers and sellers alike. This, of course in the context of rising tariffs and rising prices. Let's get more on the inside track. Jamial Gharni's with US vice president of Amazon Prime, and you're really already seeing Jamil Adobe Analytics saying that US retailers drove close to eight billion in online spending on July eighth, up almost ten percent, the single biggest e commerce day so far this year. Has that have been good therefore?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just started the event yesterday, so it's very early, but we're really pleased by the engagement that we're getting from our customers and our members. Not only is event twice as long, so four days, as you mentioned, but we're also offering more than double the number of deals that are fifty per sent off or more. That's striving engagement across the millions of deals we have in thirty five categories. So we're really pleased. But it's very early, of course.
Speaker 1: Why make it four days, and how is that affecting the pace of spending do.
Speaker 2: You think, Well, we listen to our members and they told us they needed more time to shop the millions of deals that we offer across our entire store. This gives them that. We're also offering new AI tools to get a more personalized, more targeted experience that allows our members to shop both the needs that are on their list but also the wants. And you see that in the data already. The top categories that our members are engaging with are health and personal care, apparel, beauty, home, kitchen, and really it's stretching the entire entirety of the store and members need time to shop it, and so we've given them double that time.
Speaker 1: Needs and wants. That's an interesting way of putting it. We've seen a lot of spend galvanizing groceries, for example some of the competitors. Is that an area you're feeling you're having to make more inroads in when you show that you can discount in this particular.
Speaker 2: Time, you know, grocery and everyday essentials, which is the broader definition we use internally to describe those things that a busy household needs to keep running. And you know, deal with all the things that come their way, and we're investing heavily. That's the fastest growing part of our store. And you know, some of the items that are really resonating with our members during prime day already are like down Platinum powerwash, disphrase something that my household, your household likely has it under the cupboards. It's also Crest three D white strips, Amazon Basic Triple A batteries. It's these essentials that you need for modern life, but it's also the other end of the spectrum. Beauty is a really exciting part of our store. Medicube has a number of fantastic products on sale. One of the top products so far is their zero core pads. So you can see just even in the data of what members are scooping up in terms of savings. It's stretching from you know, the things you need to do in order to keep life moving all the way to what you would consider more wants as well, things you might have had on your list for a while.
Speaker 1: Parently white teeth needed to keep life moving. Jim Hill talk to us about Jenai though, because you just mentioned how that's helping it become more personalized. How's Rufus the shopping assistant doing. How more broadly is alexaplus doing because I think as Adobe again saying that we're going to see more than three thousand percent increase in the use of Jenai in this particular spending spree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Caroline, you're absolutely right. We've been investing for years, from the very beginning of Amazon, at the beginning of Amazon Prime, which is celebrating its twentieth anniversary this year, in all forms of AI. This year, we're bringing Rufus. As you said, is Rufus is smarter about Prime day. Rufus is smarter about your interests and can respond to natural language queries and bring back those deals that match those interests. We also have a product called Interest where you can go in and with a simple set of statements, you can say, I'd like to remodel my living room in mid century modern. Please show me deals that are less than one hundred dollars, and it will proactively make that into the recommendations you see throughout the store. We also have shopping guides for those items that are a bit more considered. You know, I'm in the I'm in the shopping mode for a laptop for my eldest daughter, who's eight, I don't buy a laptop that often, and these AI power shopping guides have been invaluable. And then lastly, Alexa plus is rolling out. Millions of members have access now and they're using it to check, you know, the timing for Prime Day, but also to get recommendations on deals and to be alerted when something that they've looked at previously is now on sale.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're in the market to how you're eight year old. But what's interesting is Amazon seems to be in the market to lore more young adults. Right That is such a push right now? Why is that the area you want to make in roads?
Speaker 2: Well, we recognize that, you know, Prime exists to deliver three things convenience, savings, and entertainment behind one simple member, and we hold ourselves to the bar of delivering disproportionate value. Everybody today and likely always wants to make a dollar stretch, and for younger customers that's more true than maybe for most and so we're reinventing our young adult program. Prime for young adults is fifty percent off, but now on top of that, we also are offering an evergreen five percent discount that for Prime Day is ten percent, so our members cannot only avail the great deals across the entire store that we've been talking about, but also add to it ten percent in categories that they really care about, like beauty, apparel, electronics, and so we're really proud of that program that offering to that key customer segment.
Speaker 1: See how much they love the lebron adds to Jimmy el Ghani. Great to have some time with you. Amazon Prime Worldwide