Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison, loren Zema coming to you. Happy New Year, everybody. I hope your new year has started off great. It has been a wonderful year for us thus far.
Speaker 2: I just found a false eyelash stuck to my shirt.
Speaker 1: So that's what's happening in twenty twenty four, you know, starting off with a real bang.
Speaker 3: I find these everywhere and then sometimes I think they're spiders.
Speaker 1: Is anybody else like elz where you know she essentially has like a tackle box full of eyelashes, Like is a year?
Speaker 4: You're a big heep?
Speaker 2: People aren't doing that? I recommend it.
Speaker 3: First of all, you can get false eyelash cases on Amazon, which is incredible because I'm a big dirty lash babe. You can reuse those, Okay, pick the glue off or don't. Sometimes the glue gives it a little more added structure, the elder glue. But I love an elder lash, a vintage strip.
Speaker 4: So I actually took wine you wanted to pack. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, the cases that you can get on Amazon, some of them actually have the shapes.
Speaker 2: You can form your lash back to the shape, which is great.
Speaker 3: But if you don't want to go that route because it takes a little time, it's a little more time incent and intensive to put the lash back.
Speaker 2: On the curvature. I literally buy a tackle box.
Speaker 3: I keep my earrings and I keep false eyelashes in a plastic box that's supposed.
Speaker 2: To be for like bait and tackle stuff.
Speaker 4: No, it makes sense. I mean they're very use.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious that, like if you know you can leave your comments at the most dramatic pod but ever, But I was just curious because you know you're you're a big lash person.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't want.
Speaker 3: To ask you a really honest question, Huh, how do you feel when you see me without fake eyelashes on?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Because I I just feel like I'm two different people. But I'm okay with that. Do you feel like I'm two different people with an eyelash on?
Speaker 1: Or I feel like it gives you power. It's like armor, It's a you thing, Like it gives you power, and I think you feel it. You know, like if you're in a great outfit, you know you have that perfect black dress or whatever it is, and you know that's it's your go to it's your money outfit. We all have it. That that great shirt or that great pair of boots. What's your armor for me?
Speaker 4: It's a great suit. I love a good suit. Yeah, suit and tie. I feel good.
Speaker 3: You do. You have an added air of confidence. It's your home base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel and it's why you know I obviously I did it for many, many years.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you yeah, you really, You've probably spent so much of your life in a suit, given the hours of filming.
Speaker 1: But it also goes back to my family, my grandfather, who I looked up to very much, as you know, like he was a clothes hound and he loved suits and ties. And I would go into his closet and pick out ties. And obviously, you know, my cousin owns Ken's Manshop in Dallas, and that's the habit ashery I go to and like we we love clothes in our family, and then find men's wear and I love that.
Speaker 4: That is my power. That's where I feel well.
Speaker 2: Habit ashery.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't even try because I might be able to, but I would.
Speaker 3: You love to say it. Oh yeah, all right, it's the new year, yes, babe. We haven't asked each other this do you have a New Year's resolution.
Speaker 4: I'm not a resolution person. I'm really not.
Speaker 2: I've never had a processing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never It's nothing, not much resolve. Well, it's not that I don't know, that's not true. It's not that I don't have goals.
Speaker 2: I have a ton of results.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of goals in mind and things I like to accomplish.
Speaker 3: You know what my thought on it is. I think it's often setting yourself up to fail. I don't know, and it's like we all have all this energy and then you just feel like crap in February when you haven't done it all.
Speaker 1: Well, look at the gym this week. If you go to a gym, Sure your gym is four x the population this week. Because I was like the new you and all that. And my suggestion is to your point, don't set yourself self up to fail. Set yourself up to succeed. Do things that are bite size and digestible. You know, don't if you're not going to keep up with it, if you're not this type of person, don't get up at four am and go to Johnny's boot camp and you know you're being electrocuted and you're climbing over barbed wire. That's if that's not you, don't do that because that's not sustainable.
Speaker 4: Do something you are going to stick with.
Speaker 3: Get so mad at myself that I can't remember this book right now. I read this great book a couple of years ago about habit forming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is it?
Speaker 4: Thirty days?
Speaker 3: No, it's it's this guy really gets into the science of forming habits, Like because I do believe, for example, in the power of your mind, and like, if you think something over and over again, I think it's more likely to happen if you think about it, if you get yourself to do it. And he talks about these small ways of forming habits and how much more powerful that is. Like if you say my new year's resolution is I'm going to write a book, that's a lot harder and a lot less likely to be achieved than it is to say my new year's resolution is every morning I'm going to write one fat Like, that's a lot more achievable.
Speaker 1: Set an action you can accomplish. And if you do that in the conventional thought is thirty days breaks or makes a habit. If you can do something for a month, you will continue.
Speaker 2: Your comic habits.
Speaker 4: That's the post you're more likely to continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's a great book.
Speaker 2: You've read it.
Speaker 1: I have pulled things out of that book, and that book I think is part of the thirty day Process.
Speaker 3: By James Clear. Gosh, wow, I'm still learning things about you now. We might not have New Year's resolutions, but I am going to do a dry January situation.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I would be right there with you, and I would do a fast as well.
Speaker 3: You know what I realized it was doing prepping for the wedding. When I took about a month off from it and I didn't even go a full month without drinking. I changed it to I'd allow myself like one glass of wine a week. I really felt great, and so I think that reset is good.
Speaker 1: The big headline that we should get into, Oh yes, is sleeping in separate bedrooms.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I didn't think that was where you're going with that. I think a lot of people are looking for you to weigh in on some other breaking news.
Speaker 2: Yes, but first let's talk about it. Okay.
Speaker 3: We got sent these articles by several people, including our producer Kendall. A lot of celebrities talking about sleeping in separate bedrooms lately, including Cameron Diaz, who I don't think does sleep in separate bedrooms with her husband Benji Madden, but they've been married since twenty fifteen, and she said that she wishes it would be normalized to sleep in separate bedrooms or maybe even in separate houses. Well, I remember Gwyneth Paltrow when she was kind of I think only because they had different their own kids and they were kind of transitioning into living together. She talked about with her husband Brad how they were in separate houses for a long time time. Dean McDermott just came out and was talking about how his split with Tory Spelling was largely affected because she like let their pets.
Speaker 2: In the bedroom a lot.
Speaker 3: So, I you know, that becomes a question who is allowed in your marital bedroom, including should your own spouse be we sleep in the same bed babe?
Speaker 2: Should we split up?
Speaker 1: No? Why I'm not at you like I get for maybe medical purposes or whatever, you need to sleep in separate beds or whatever.
Speaker 3: The Queen of England and Prince Philip, you know, always slept in separate bedrooms really together of a long time and there's you.
Speaker 1: Know, lots of rumors about things that happened in the West wing as well, But I think those are arrangements. It's not a I think a happy marriage is a happy home and is a happy bedroom and sleeping together.
Speaker 3: I cannot imagine living in the same house and going into separate bedrooms.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I feel like i'd miss you.
Speaker 3: I want to cuddle with you. I mean sometimes we fall asleep just like with a foot touching each other, or this is so deevy, but holding hands or I think that that physical touch and affection is so important.
Speaker 1: And I know there's a lot of women out there going. You don't know how bad my husband snores, right, I would throw him into another house or off a cliff.
Speaker 3: Carson Daley has said he has sleep apnea, so he says for him and his wife, it's been important because he has a sleep apnea machine in order for her to sleep well, she has to go into another room. I will say, I see the desire to like maintain the feel of dating. One thing that stuck with me. Drinda Medley, formerly of Real Housewives of New York. She said once that her and her husband, Richard, used to do a surprise date night every single week, like they would plan and the other person wouldn't know what was planned. And they I think had an agreement that they always had to go to a restaurant they'd never tried before. And they lived in New York, so that was a little easier. But they did a new and surprising date every single week, and I love that, and I was thinking, you know, maybe that's in New Year's resolution. I think we could try a different restaurant in Austin every week and not repeat for a long time.
Speaker 1: We always say that when we're in New York. It's like we hate to repeat things in New York as much as we love the restaurants, because there's always something new.
Speaker 3: I think that you are very fresh. Life is going to become. You know, your your safe place and your box you play in, so you gotta try a new things.
Speaker 1: We're anti separate bedrooms, definitely anti separate houses. That makes that just makes no sense. You're not married, just.
Speaker 3: You could be like picking your spouse up for a date at their houses.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's just no, that's nonsensical. It's bizarre. You're living in two houses. But what do you think about two different toilets. So we were just at a party, at a house part. I don't know if you noticed this, because I'm a snoop going through the house and they had his.
Speaker 4: In her toilets.
Speaker 1: Oh they Oh, no, there was his in her closets and then eat by their closets.
Speaker 4: They had each of they had their own come up.
Speaker 3: Yes, like shared a bathroom, Yes, had counters in the same bathroom, but then had each their own little water closet.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's not necessary to me.
Speaker 3: I think what's most important if you can have it, is a closed door to your toilet. But I don't think I need to closed door toilets have the same bathroom.
Speaker 4: One more question, do you this?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so. I don't think you need two.
Speaker 1: Okay, this person had a urinal the male side had he had a traditional toilet, and then he literally had a urinal like you would see it. All.
Speaker 2: That's a you question, do you need a urinal?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I mean I get I guess I get the ease of it, but I just it was I saw it, and I go, oh.
Speaker 2: A home urinalme churinl Yeah, a year a home.
Speaker 1: I had a here's this true, Storgio, I had a former family member. He had a urinal in his house. He also he worked in his garage a lot. He had one in his garage.
Speaker 4: He's like, well, I don't want to go.
Speaker 2: Why do you just go outside on a tree?
Speaker 4: Right now? That's that's true. Who you can You're already out there?
Speaker 2: Ye yeah, well you have.
Speaker 3: That was a really hot take for me. I didn't know you were so strongly against separate bedrooms.
Speaker 4: Yes, for sure.
Speaker 1: Now I think it's important that you stick together. Well, I think you get a lot of things done at the at the end of the.
Speaker 2: Day, at the end of the night's bedroom.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, obviously you get a lot of things done, and I think it would but even after even after you got those things done to say okay, high five, and you go your separate ways.
Speaker 3: I think about my mom, for example, my mom is much more of that generation, like she didn't really like my dad us here without makeup on, you know. She like my mom and dad would in our house, my dad would kind of use the guest bathroom or and they would have totally separate bathrooms and be a bit more separate, Like, I think this is a newer construct and I would be interested, like, why do you think it's happened?
Speaker 2: Why have we moved towards so much togetherness.
Speaker 4: Because it's impossible to buy a house now. No one just has to interest rates or at six percent, no one can afford it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, but you're even in the tiny house that I grew up in. My parents were kind of the same. They did they had different bathrooms, they didn't share, they didn't.
Speaker 4: Have his and hers. Our bathrooms weren't big enough for that. But yeah, it is interesting.
Speaker 1: It is maybe more of a modern thing that we're more on top of each other, more together.
Speaker 3: And I think it might be something interesting about like needing your partner to be everything for you. I'm really getting deep now, but your you know, we were we talked about that in another episode, that like, your partner doesn't have to be everything for you. You can get fulfillment from friends and from family and mentors and you know, but you can share a bathroom but don't have to have two separate toilets. That's my big take away. I didn't think I was going to go so deep on this.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Let me switch to a headline that I actually want to know your thoughts on because you and I have never discussed it. Daniel Craig, Ashton Kutcher, Yes, and more celebrity parents have spoken out as of late. Anderson Cooper Bill Gates had famously waited on this on not leaving their children inheritances, Daniel Craig, James Bond says, I don't want to leave great sums to the next generation. My philosophy is get rid of it, give it away before you go. Ashton Kutcher has said he is not. He and Mila Kunis are not setting up trusts for their kids. They're going to give all their money away to charity. Anderson Cooper, who is from a rich family the Vanderbilts, said that he does not intend to leave a quote pot of gold for his son. Where do you fall on that and leaving money to the kids. I don't even know if you've discussed this with them.
Speaker 1: It's well, I find it very interesting, and look, I understand where these people are coming from. I understand that gross amounts of wealth heaped upon somebody can do more harm than good. And again, I know everyone's sitting there thinking, hey, keep it on me. I'll take those problems. But I understand that. You know, there's a long list of problem children in the world who got rich quick or had so much money. You know, time is the devil's play shop, and there's a lot of a lot of names on that line.
Speaker 3: I think it's very disunderstand it's more difficult than it. It's very difficult to raise a child with a ton of money and have them turn out great. Like it's a task.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I think more importantly it's maybe I'm a glass half full person as opposed to worrying about what you're going to leave them. I'm more worried about with our kids. What am I teaching them? Am I teaching them the value of a dollar? Am I teaching them the value of being a hard working human being? Do they have drive? Do they want to achieve on their own? You know, I have such admiration for one of our very dear friends, Andrew Firestone, one of the most famous families and famous names in America, and you know, an American icon. Every one of his brother's sisters would ever have gone on to do great things. That entrepreneurial spirit. How do I instill in them that drive to be giving people, to be caring, people to be driven.
Speaker 4: Hard working.
Speaker 1: That that, to me is more important than am I worried about giving them a million dollars later on? Because if I've done the work, then it doesn't matter what I give them later. They're going to use that for good. They'll use it to build a business, they'll use it to hire people, they'll use it to give to charity. So it's more important what's the human being I'm raising as opposed to I've done a crappy job.
Speaker 4: I don't want to give them fifty million dollars. Screw them.
Speaker 1: And look a lot of these people too, I'm like, were you entitled? Did you grow up under that nice silver spoon and now you just don't want to give it to them?
Speaker 2: I completely agree.
Speaker 3: I think that. I think you just said it so well. I can't imagine. Especially, I mean, you were joking before about how much housees cost today. I think it's I think it's easier said than done to like say, hey, figure it out, you know, like I look at you know, my grandparents, for example, grew up with very little and didn't even have high school educations. Moved to Chicago when they were teenagers to try to find work. Now, eventually they through hard work, they were able to buy a home in Chicago and start a business, and they.
Speaker 2: Built a beautiful life. It's I think it's.
Speaker 3: Really hard today to buy a starter home in Chicago, you know. And so if you've worked hard and you have money and you can remove some of those obstacles, well yeah, I mean it's really difficult to be a young person starting out today.
Speaker 1: And and I don't know these celebrities we're talking about, but at the same time, those children are growing up on the Upper West Side, they're growing up in Beverly Hills, behind gates, They're going to private schools, they're going on the private jet to the ski trips they're going So they've already been living this life. If you haven't done the work with them now, it doesn't matter what you're giving them when you pass away.
Speaker 3: Also, like you know, I kind of question these quotes. It's like, what are are we really talking about nothing?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or are you just like I'm not going to leave them everything.
Speaker 1: Well, they're not getting a one hundred million, They're only going to get forty five.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, Okay, Well, so.
Speaker 1: I disagree, and you and I agree on this, and that's why one of the reasons I love you, And it's your mom's famous quote, you do the work now, you put in the time now. If you haven't done the work now, while these kids are in private schools and doing it, they know, living the life with all their other rich friends and celebrity friends, it doesn't matter. They're what you're going to do to them later the that ship is sailed. Every parent knows that you got to put in the work now.
Speaker 2: Well, honey, happy New Year.
Speaker 3: And I think you know we talked at the end of the year over our Christmas dinner about everything we were so grateful for. We had a tradition of going around the table with your mom and with the kids and saying what we were so thankful for this year, and we both said, of course, our family being healthy, that's always our number one thing. But I am so grateful and we both said it that we had we got married this past year. I love starting the new year happily married. And I'm so happy and so blessed that we got the weddings that we got. And man, I just love you and I'm happy we found each other this is this is the best New Years start I've ever had.
Speaker 1: Mess It's going to be hard to be twenty twenty three because I had such good memories and I actually it was funny.
Speaker 4: I woke up the other day and I told Lauren.
Speaker 1: I said I'm kind of depressed, and she's like why, and I was like, because I want to. I want to do it all over again, Like I want to how do I recreate those parties? And she's like, well, an anniversary and I was like, yeah, but I mean, will it be the same of like getting everybody together? And of course it won't because you won't have the jetters and the but I just have such great memories. And one of the things I really appreciate is the people that were a part of that celebration all kind of say the same thing, and they keep reminding us of how beautiful it was. And so twenty twenty three ended on such a beautiful note. Twenty twenty four has started on such a beautiful note. I hope it has for all of you as well.
Speaker 4: And I love you.
Speaker 1: And this is going to be our first full year as husband and wife, first of many, the first of many. We love you, We love you all, and thank you all. If we didn't get a chance to talk to you, or maybe you weren't checking in on podcasts, thank you for a great twenty twenty three. It was the first for the Most Dramatic Podcast Ever, and we are happy to jump into twenty twenty four. We have some great interviews, we have some very exciting things coming up. We can't wait to talk to you about those things, Big Teas, and we will talk to you again soon because we have a.
Speaker 4: Lot more to talk about.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the Most Dramatic Pod Ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.