Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast. Hi, Hi, I'm super excited to chat with you.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, me too. You look way more beautiful than me right now.
Speaker 1: Wait, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Please, I would say, what filter do you have on? But you don't need a filter, But what filter do you.
Speaker 1: Have to crank up the zoombler all the way?
Speaker 2: Wait? What how do I do that?
Speaker 1: I actually don't know if I did, but wait, let me see. Yeah, you can fully touch up your parents on zoom.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm an old bitch. So like archaic actresses, they would be like vasoline on the lens.
Speaker 1: I actually learned about that in film school.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they fully like taught me all about that before the preface tune days.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. And when I was younger, I never understood like older actresses and actress they would always be like it's mostly actresses. They'd be like, never let them film you from above, always from below, and now like every pictures Like, I mean, you're young, but I'm sure like your mom's always like put the camera up too.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's so cool though. I'm sure you like have so many cool stories from all your experience with the film industry and whatnot.
Speaker 2: I feel like I do and I have a really good memory, thank goodness. But yeah, especially stories from my dad, Like my dad would tell me the most amazing stories I didn't appreciate as a kid, and now looking back, I'm like, oh my gosh, yeah, those were iconic. And when I tell yeah, if I'm out with Brents, They're like, wait, what your dad? What in this Hollywood actress? Like that's crazy, and like, oh wow, it was so like I was just used to hearing about it every single day. But whatever, let's talk about you. Are you sick of talking about yourself?
Speaker 1: I don't do it that much honestly.
Speaker 2: Okay, find do you want to talk about me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Really?
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you want to ask?
Speaker 1: You're interested to hear about? Like all this film experience and what so cool? I feel like also like it's so saturated now and like ten years ago or however long ago, like fifty years ago, like when your dad was doing it, but like it was such a small community and I feel like it's massive. You said massive, right, am I wrong?
Speaker 2: No, it's I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse. Like when I was growing up, there was like four like primetime networks like like you know, and now was streaming. There's so many you can't even like, I don't even know when things are coming and going because you know, there's no more like billboards. I mean there are, but like you know what I mean, It's like, did you see the show on some streamer that I've never even heard of? And it's like no, But then I'll watch it. I'll be like, this is great. So in my mind, I'm like, oh, there's so many opportunities. And it doesn't matter what field we're in, you know, if it's acting, if it's reality, if it's it's like, great, we there's a million things we made now. But I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. I mean it's really it's true. I feel like, yeah, streaming is such a blessing. It's a blessing for like everything being more accessible, giving so much more opportunity.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It also feel like it makes artistic vision like diluted. If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. Describe how why you feel about though.
Speaker 1: I love that we're getting into like this course of the film industry. I can't.
Speaker 2: But what would you think I wanted to ask about Real Housewives. Probably everyone els you about that. I'll get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, you know how like when you would go to the theater and like seeing a film, it was like a totally different experience. But now it's just so accessible that it's like not really something people think about. It's like, oh, you don't like the movie, turn it off and put something new on, Whereas like before you were so invested in it and whatnot. Maybe now I don't know.
Speaker 2: What even the bad ones. No, it was like I don't know, like have you ever walked out of a movie, out of a theater and left?
Speaker 1: No? Have you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 1: I'm like if I'm buying this ticket, getting my snacks, like I'm gonna sit through it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm there for the snacks, yeah and everything. I mean. The good thing is you can get like drinks now, So that's that's a piece we invested. But I have five kids, so you have to keep in mind. It's different than what I'm typically would want to go see, Like I would want for me, I love you know, I would want to see independent films, like a documentary. I would want to see horror films like I can't see any of those with my kids.
Speaker 1: Do you do Sundance ever?
Speaker 2: I did? I used to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so.
Speaker 2: I wonder if the experience, Like I did it before you were alive, So I.
Speaker 1: Wonder not humanly possible? Well twenty six.
Speaker 2: Whoa wait, I'm really bad with mats. You were born one.
Speaker 1: Year in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did it before you were alive. Oh fuck me.
Speaker 1: I would have never guessed that. That's kind of insane. You're like defying odds of humanity.
Speaker 2: I'll take that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a major compliment. I mean, thank you.
Speaker 2: Is that a T shirt? What? Defying the odds of humanity.
Speaker 1: Should be my next straw?
Speaker 2: Don't forget about me when you do it.
Speaker 1: The inspiration that's right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I had a film in Sundance in ninety got ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's really cool.
Speaker 2: And I just remember I think it was ninety eight, but I just remember thinking this is so cuckoo, Like I was like, oh my gosh, our films in Sundance like this is. It was like a tiny little film we made. It was called The House of Yes. And then I made a movie called trick and both of them gone to Sundance, But the first one I was going, I didn't know what to expect. And I'm a girl that grew up in Beverly Hills, like I had no idea about snow and like being in the outdoors. So I just remember thinking, like, what did I see like Gwyneth Paltrow like wearing. And I remember going into Oh my god, I went into Prada and bought like a pants suit. And I thought because I was like trying to be like on Beverly Hills like girl nine o two one zero and being like I'm an artist and actress and I need to be taken seriously. And I bought a pants suit that I took to Sundance and got there and I was like and heels, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like horrified, Why is ever like jeans and a sweater?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. And I was like I think I had to borrow stuff from friends, Like it was like ridiculous. Anyway, Sorry, what do you like.
Speaker 1: It was today? I probably would like, literally they didn't even sell clothes on main Street, Like main Street literally just got no lemon. Like five years ago, it's insane.
Speaker 2: There was nothing. Yeah, there was like a couple like bars, like yeah that.
Speaker 1: Was a no name, like did you do those? Or because like the Chase Safire Lounge is not always been there was out there in nineteen ninety eight, like what were the vibes of Sundance in nineteen ninety eight was like literally just see the film because now it's so like events, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, No, it wasn't like that. You would like the cast of each film, like they would have you in like there was no airbnb. It was like a cabin they would rent you and like you would all stay with all your co stars and yeah, or you would stay at the hotel and there was like one hotel and then you would go see the film and then it would always be like word of mouth, like it would be like, oh, this director is having a party back at there like cabin or whatever, Like I don't know. There wasn't like the events that are now like now it's major and everyone goes. And at the time it wasn't a thing like if you weren't in a film, like you didn't go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's insane, it's so much fun. I probably would not if it was nineteen ninety eight. I probably would not have been able to attend sundowns, but I'm very grateful for them because you were born, which I am available to attend it and stuff. It's super fun.
Speaker 2: Well at least you. I mean, where are you right now?
Speaker 1: I'm in Austin, Texas?
Speaker 2: Wait? Do you live there? Shright now?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: My boyfriend lives between Austin and LA and so we are in a long distance relationship and right now I am visiting him.
Speaker 2: How long have you guys been together?
Speaker 1: Like a year and almost a half. I'd say we met actually at Sundance, but officially became committed in a relationship in like April of last year.
Speaker 2: So you have so long distance entire time then? Mm hmmm, oh my.
Speaker 1: Goodness at a long distance and like still is.
Speaker 2: Okay? Are you worry for the next move? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And like when are when are we gonna like get a place in New York together?
Speaker 2: Is that the face you've called him the most incredible boyfriend? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's.
Speaker 2: Well you have to say that because you're with him currently?
Speaker 1: Could that would be a toxic on healthy relationship, which I know all too much about. But I think I forgot what the other what what did you just ask?
Speaker 2: I forgot, I don't know. You laughed and smiled, and I got distracted. Oh you were telling me the next step would be to move in together. Oh and you were going to get a place in New York. That's the game plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's where like all my work is based and all my inspiration really comes out of New York with my brand and whatnot. I also love La and so the fact that he's part Austin part LA, Like, I can deal with the La of it, the Austin part. It's super fun getting to explore a new city, but.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever been it'll.
Speaker 1: Figuring it out, yeah, I mean they have like everything here. It's pretty crazy. But they say that is if it's like not a metropolitan city, pretty cool town. But yeah, I basically just come here for my man.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Wait, so you guys met at Sundance? You can we tell the story before?
Speaker 1: Sorry, No, I really haven't gotten into it. We met at like an event. How did this pop up at Sundance? And there was this really handsome man that just like walked into this VIP if you will, Like it's not actually the ip everyone's just hopping the rope. But did you hop the rope? You don't need to No, I didn't, but like I could have in theory. But he like walked in, he was super cute, handsome, drew my eye and then.
Speaker 2: Wait, can I stop you? Yeah, said, okay, the first thing you said about him was cute. Yeah, so that's my favorite. To me, that is such a good description of somebody if you're interested in I had someone I was dating say to me, like, you just called me cute. That's how we describe kids or dogs. And I'm like, you know, to me, cute is everything, Like anyone can be like handsome, good looking, Like that's cute is a really great combination. Do you feel that way?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like cute.
Speaker 2: Is all like now it's just saying cute.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, But I think that cute is also used to like describe a vibe, you know what I mean. It's not even just a physical appearance. It's like, this is a cute situation, like that's your generation, not mine. We reach it, okay, But he just like walked in and caught my eye and then we were dancing chatting all night and it was really bizarre. We just kept running into each other all weekend and kept in touch.
Speaker 2: Really did you kiss him that first night?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a kiss and then I mean actually he would tell the story in a different way, but I was like, it was two in the morning. I am such a homebody, like that is late for me, and so I wanted to like go home, go to bed, and I told him I was leaving, and he was like, okay, bye, And I was like, are you not going to ask for my number or hello? Like it literally just danced with you for like two hours and we kissed and and I was just like into the dark and never see you again.
Speaker 2: Wait, did he know who you were?
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't know what like any of this is. He doesn't know anything about like Bravo housewife You probably like that, right, Yeah, it's humbling.
Speaker 2: Or there's that. Okay, go on, sorry whoa.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's really nice and refreshing and a lot of like educating him culturally on the Bravo culture and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Wait, had he really never seen anything in Bravo before?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he literally did not know what like anything was like any housewives franchise, which like it's so crazy how long have you been watching Bravo or like, are you a Bravo If you are.
Speaker 2: I am, okay, not of Salt Lake City, but.
Speaker 1: Sorry period shade it.
Speaker 2: No, not because I'm not a fan. I think reality TV used to be huge for me to watch, and now that my kids are getting older, I have five kids, and I think since I'm getting a divorce, this is when it started. Actually, since going through like getting a divorce, I now have my eight year old he just turned. It is always with me and he doesn't watch what I want to watch. And I've become such a guilty mom, being a single mom, that I let him take over and I've lost all Like I'm like, what happened to my I'm like a Bravo like fanatic and now I feel like out of the loop and it bumps me up. But I think originally in the Bravo verse, like Beverly Hills, I think just because it was I knew everyone personally and I grew up there, like that was fascinating in the New York City. I mean, obviously I've seen Real Housewives of Salt Lake City. I've seen you, but it wasn't one I actively was watching. Although I bene season five last night, and my eight year old was like, oh, Mom, He's like, I've told you, I don't want to watch the Kardashians again. He doesn't know what Nope, any reality show he calls the Kardashians.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean prior to my mom being on Housewives, I was not very familiar with the whole Bravo universe and whatnot. So, like, I believe that there are people that don't understand it and know it because I was once one of them. But now it's become such a big part of my life for like five years, so it's so crazy to think about what to like reflect on what my life was like before it.
Speaker 2: You know, no, absolutely what was it like to grow up on TV? I mean not grow up, but you know what I mean, I mean the last five Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I wasn't like as young as a lot of the other husbands.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you had a choice.
Speaker 1: Like, theoretically yes, but no, if that makes sense, it does. Like, my family is so close, we are so supportive of each other, and for me to not sign on to do it, it would just not reflect my mom accurately and authentically, like it would be impossible to capture her life without capturing any of our family, you know. So also, like when she started her first season of Housewives, like she was going through separation with my dad and she was completely alone in Perk City, and I took a semester off from school to be there for her and work on my brand and everything, and like it was if I was going to do that, like I had to film, you know what I mean. Like, but theoretically I could have rejected signing on to it and whatnot, but it was just such a big part of like my mom's life at that point that I think it would have pushed me away from her. I don't know, you know what I mean. It's just like I mean, it gave me a really great platform for my brand, and like now it's a killer for that. Yeah, right later like six years or six years later, seven years, I don't know where, like next year in New York is now a show, which is crazy?
Speaker 2: Right? Well that and that was entirely your choice, so right, yeah, yeah, exactly is there gonna be a season two?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't make those decisions, but fingers crossed, I mean, I feel like so much was left unset and unresolved last summer. And there's a lot to answer too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I've done a lot of reality TV. My kids were young when I had them on my show, but it's different. They'll, you know, see it one day and some of the older ones. I have an eighteen seven year old have seen clips and have said things to me like this happened with you and Dad, this hapen like oh my gosh, And I'm like, and my seventh year olds sometimes is like, you know, with my podcast, I talk about my life all the time, so it's a version of doing a reality show. And she said, you know, why do you have to talk about our lives. I'm like, well, I'm being this is my life and this is my choice and this is my journey, and I'm talking about my story because we don't other people give the narrative. And she's like, but you know, we have to okay it. So would you recommend, like, let's say there's Next Gen LA and they came to like my seventeen eight year old daughter and son, would you recommend they do a season?
Speaker 1: It depends on what their view is on that. I mean, are they do they like a private life? Do they are they interested in the public world, Like, have they been able to maintain a private life with you know, obviously you being so public? What's the vibe there?
Speaker 2: I mean they were born in on TV basically on reality, so they don't know any different, I think, but it would be interesting for them to make choices where it's just all about them in doing it. Are there things about the show that you are like, oh my gosh, I wish like I hadn't done it.
Speaker 1: Not that I wish I hadn't done it at.
Speaker 2: All, because you don't believe in regrets.
Speaker 1: No, I have plenty of things that I regret. I live in regret, Like Next Done. New York City is truly like my friends, you know what I mean. It's not some show where someone's like casting these people to be on TV. It's like literally documenting real friendships, so that it was like so amazing for me to get to just have my friendships and cameras go up whatever. It's like fun, but it's like a double edged sword because these are people that I genuinely do care about and I'm not like super excited for them to fight or have conflict and stuff. So having to navigate that is like the Thorn of the Rose, which is doing a TV show that's like fun with all your friends.
Speaker 2: You know, understood. So let's say they Brava comes to you now and is like, Okay, we want to do a show now just focused on you and your relationship, and it can be like Brooks hits The Marks. Would you do it?
Speaker 1: I mean I need to know a little more.
Speaker 2: Do you like the title?
Speaker 1: The log line?
Speaker 2: I just coined that? I don't know? You can use it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like you sold it right there.
Speaker 2: You I'm really good at titles.
Speaker 1: You think exec get a producer credit.
Speaker 2: Maybe just like a one percent referral? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Would do you do reality TV? Again?
Speaker 2: I would? Yeah, I would. My my brain before my brain thinks like my father because he's he was a producer, So I think in the storytelling. And it was obviously all just scripted worlds until I started doing reality and now my brain thinks in both so concurrently, like simultaneously, I can come up with an idea and give the scripted version and the unscripted version, which isn't a bad thing. And so now when I come up with ideas for shows, I'm like, well, like Bravo, you could do this one on one of your other sister networks and then air this like nonscriptive version on your network, and they could air simultaneously. But wait, wait, wait, okay, so let's go back to your show with your boyfriend.
Speaker 1: I mean I have been like really private about my relationship life just because the way in which like who I went to bed with was brought into the public world was not on my own accord. So I felt the need to like just protect my relationship and keep a private and so it's really liberating, honestly, Like being able to share my relationship with like the people who have supported me over the years, and like their patience with that is just so like special to me. You know, the fact that people have been able to like respect that has meant a lot to me. So you're saying, now, well, no, I feel like, yes, I'm in a place where I mean caide my boyfriend. He did film for Next Gen NYC and was featured in the season a little bit, but that was like very early stages of our relationship, and we, you know, are very far down along the line now. I feel like dating me is like you have to date my entire family, you know. So he was just getting started looking back on that.
Speaker 2: Is he close with his family?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, he has like the sweetest family ever.
Speaker 2: I love that his name is kid with a K, I know, right, Yeah, I find that really sexy. I mean, you're an entrepreneur, Like I hate that word, by the way, you know, I hate that.
Speaker 1: Word because everyone says that they are one.
Speaker 2: Wow, you shut me down? Is that no one usually does that? Wow? Uh No, It's it's really hard to pronounce. It's like not it doesn't flow off the tongue, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: I get.
Speaker 2: It's a really tough one because everyone says they are Yeah, they do.
Speaker 1: Literally everyone. It's like it's like before that was like the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, everyone says it. Yeah, you're either an entrepreneur or a narcissist. That's the only two words who talk about. Wait, what the hell? What would what would it be like in my generation? Nineteen ninety eight, the year before you were born? What would it have been? Wait ninety nine you were born?
Speaker 1: Right? What was it like before social media?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Blame now it's like everyone just puts like public figure on their Instagram bio, where like I don't like that It's just it's too easy to just throw a label on whatever you want to be, whereas like in nineteen.
Speaker 2: They don't give you choices. Sometimes it's like you have to pick one. Yeah, yeah, sorry I cut you off. So what would the word be? Smart? Driven? Creative?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Why am I singing in that voice?
Speaker 1: WHOA? I'm literally like shitting on the term entrepreneur and I'm like, I don't know how else to describe what I do. I it is like fashion entrepreneurship. I mean I built a brand off of a hoodie and in a sweatsuit with a much stronger purpose. Like I guess you could say it's a movement.
Speaker 2: See I love that because I love double entendres, even though that's not easy to say either. But it is a movement because also with your wear, like your move like it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a double entendre.
Speaker 2: Did I say it wrong? I say, and Andre? Is it tomato Tomato nooks marks? Do you just correct me? No?
Speaker 1: I did not major in English.
Speaker 2: So I mean my last name is spelling. I can spell it. I just don't know how to say it. Can I ask you when you started your brand, what I mean, what was the hardest thing about having a brand that you wanted to create and going from creating it to execution of.
Speaker 1: It, building a team to help me see the same vision. Probably, I mean I think that people are not. I'll retract that it's very easy to look at a garment of clothing and say like this is You could even just take like a black T shirt and be like, in my case, a hoodie with a stripe going down the side and just say like, this is literally a hoodie with a stripe going down the side, like with your name on it, Like nothing, great, whatever. What people don't understand is the intricacies of having to measure every single centimeter of that garment, having to go through development to create the fabric that you want, the importance of the composition of the fabric, and like the process in which my like jackered ribbon goes on the side and all of these things. How many samples we have to go through? And I say we, as in.
Speaker 2: Me Jackert or Jacard.
Speaker 1: Actually you're correcting me now I think it might be Jaccard.
Speaker 2: I'm just having fun with you.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like, people don't understand how many samples you have to go through, Like the spec sheets all of that is my responsibility at my brand and I did not just private label something. And that's what I'm really proud of is building a brand that is a community for people to you know, feel comfortable in their skin and feel comfortable in their clothes with it.
Speaker 2: I love hearing you say that because I feel like it's so true, and especially in today's world, like everything is replicated and everything, and it goes back to like an old mentality. I guess of the pride there's a double one pondre there and on Tondra and ownership of any product that you do or any idea that you do. It doesn't even have to be in your world, and that resonates I feel like, do you feel like, would you ever do your brand as like an online like a big what's the word I'm looking for? If would you ever do like QBC or Home Shopping Network?
Speaker 1: Never say never, But that is not on my short term goal list right.
Speaker 2: Now, because do you feel like you work so hard at the composition of the brand and the material and the final product that gets put out that would you not want to grow to put out a mass line? Look, look, this is me trying to talk to a designer and not have the words, but you can the motion behind it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just not essentially I'd say the goal of my brand. At the end of the day, the goal for my brand is to I'm like, very proud of the fact that I'm a fully unisex label, which I think is an incredibly difficult thing to do, especially with some of the garments that I've launched, like the Universal Panel pant, where it's a structured pant and the waistband obviously sits differently depending on your body. So for someone who wants to wear the pant high waisted, it needs to be like it needs to work for someone who wants it low waisted and similar with like the crotch length and everything, you know. So that was something that was really difficult to develop. But I'm really proud of the fact that my brand is fully unisex, and essentially the goal is to create a community that everyone feels welcomed in.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be nice though, for everyone, if it could get to that level where people didn't judge and you could make something with such huge mass appeal while still being able to incorporate the innovation and what it means to you and yeah, the brand and type pretty correct.
Speaker 1: No, correct for sure, I mean, yeah, have you, but you're changing.
Speaker 2: I feel like what people think in the fashion world, so I would love to see it get to that where it's do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: And I know, I know I'm probably saying things that designers are like, I never want to be on that level and that tier, like it's you know, you want to keep it at a top tier level. But I think the world, I hope the world is changing and involving so much that you know, we could have something that means something everywhere for everyone wanting it. I'm here's babbling my words now. I'll go back back to Onondre No.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I think that one of the like issues in the fashion industry right now is the like pace at which trends change and fast fast, and the whole like lack.
Speaker 2: Of do you find fast fashion insulting?
Speaker 1: I think that for some people it's like all they can get to, which is a problem, like no one should have to resort to fast fashion. But I think it is also a misconception that that is the case when there are plenty of places to not have to resort to fast fashion. But I just think promoting like conscious consumption is the most important thing with my brand. I try to create items that are meant to be in your closet for decades and not something that's going to go out of trend. So like me, you're meant to be in the closet for a decade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, never go out of trend.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh yeah period.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, yeah, you can have me in your closet for decades. I'm saying, you can just keep using me, and it's like and taking me out and people aren't like, oh, that's out of style, that's I'm sorry. Yeah, I'm like vintage.
Speaker 1: There's something I don't know, but yeah, I mean that's sort of at the end of it. What I think is important with promoting conscious consumption is just like creating staples for people to have in their wardrobe. I agree, and also like the composition and whatnot, because there are certain materials that are like more damaging to the environment than others.
Speaker 2: It makes me sad for my teens because I feel like they don't understand that, and you know, with their friends, they're on a budget. And they don't understand what it truly means. You know, I think in their brains. It's the young ones, like my twelve and thirty year old their brains it's just like, oh, we got it, it was cheap. Oh, it just didn't last long, or it just wasn't made great fill a part after one wearing, and it's just there's so much involved in the way it was made that they're not conscious of. No pun intended, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean completely like nail on the head. Also, the ethics behind the manufacturing of it is a huge thick concern. But yeah, that's something that I've always worked on with my brand that I've been super proud of. So you could say that it's a hoodie with my name on it, but it's a lot more than that, you know what I mean. There's a reason that I put my name on that hoodie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. And you have a really good name. Thank you. You have such a good name.
Speaker 1: Like it's not fair, thank you? I mean, so do you? You literally cannot make that name up. Hell, you're a verb. You're a walking verb.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh can I snag that one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a walking verb.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love that. Okay, I'm going to talk for one second my Real Housewives Salt Lake City. And I only just rolled my eyes because I feel like I feel embarrassed. I feel like everybody asks you no, no, no. This is literally the only reason. Like I obviously I want to ask you questions because it's relevant, but like I feel like everybody asks you the same thing.
Speaker 1: So no, I no ask whatever you want. I'm like just fingers crossed. It don't get in trouble.
Speaker 2: Fingers crossed. We do get in trouble. Have you met me? No? Yeah you did today. But okay, So there's rumors that Genshaw is coming back to the show.
Speaker 1: I don't know anything about her right now.
Speaker 2: I don't either tell me.
Speaker 1: Well, if I knew, i'd be able to share it, But I don't know anything about her other than you know is in the public right now.
Speaker 2: Fair your mom's a DJ. I did not know this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's a really talented DJ.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Mm hmm, that's like on my bucket list.
Speaker 1: She's awesome. Yeah, you're based in Yeah, so next time she actually DJ'ed at out Loud and who really? Next time she hopefully, Like if there's if that is a thing next year, you'll have to come.
Speaker 2: I would love to. Oh my gosh, I even when I watch her, I feel like she and I were be friends. Absolutely, he said, Cavier, you.
Speaker 1: You guys probably crossed paths. My mom grew up going to we must have got out of or my grandpa had a place in Beverly Hills, Like, oh, we're going there all the time. And then nineties.
Speaker 2: What you were alive in the nineties.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, it was before I was alive, unfortunately, because I would have loved to spend time there too.
Speaker 2: Oh you were saying your mom. Okay, okay, so I'm catching up. Wait, wait where who had a place in La? Your grandpa?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my grandpa.
Speaker 2: Where do you know where?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Beverly Hills, like behind the Beverly Hills Hotel in the Hills part.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, ooh I wonder where? And so your mom Okay, so we've probably totally met.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys have probably cross spots. I mean, like La is so small, lowl one Beverly Hills, like you.
Speaker 2: Know it really truly is. No one believes that, but it's like, yeah, do you feel like you have a lot of responsibility now that you're so in the public eye to not that you're not. I find you very authentic, But do you feel like you have to choose your words carefully?
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, I mean literally just then like going through my brain, yes, I do. I just I mean, like having a platform is a blessing, and I just want to make sure that I'm always like using it in the best way possible. I never want to like listen, right, well.
Speaker 2: Your narrative is your narrative, and and that's in obviously you Yeah, did you figure that out after the first season you were on a Real Housewives of Salt Lake City that You're like, I can't control the editing. I can't control what they use and how it's taking out of context once it goes social or viral, and then had to kind of rein it in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean no, I would say that, like the capacity. What was so great about Next in New York was that our next graen wise, I love to call it Next to New York.
Speaker 2: I know You've said it so many times, and I'm like, and in my brain every time, I'm like, I just love your voice. I think you're like have. Your articulation is so great. You would be great in voiceovers. By the way, your articulation, I am envious because I like meld all my words together. Okay, sorry, but I love how you call it. Yeah, you've said New York City every time instead of NYC, which is rad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next gen NYC is. It was like an opportunity to actually get to show my personality and whatnot. I feel like the capacity in which I was shown on Salt Lake City is like ten minutes over the span of seasons, so it's like people don't really get to know me. It's not a show about housewives kids to show about housewives obviously, so I think it's like seeing me in such a limited capacity, people make so many assumptions and whatnot, and that was something that had a really hard time handling. But over my years, like in the public space, I feel like I'm finally at a point like now more than ever where it's just like as long as you're living or truth and saying facts like, you can do no wrong, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd be great in court.
Speaker 1: Did you have to acclimate to it or were you sort of like always in the public since you were born.
Speaker 2: I was literally born into it. But it's not like I was ever. There was no like when I was a kid, like social media training or like you know, like act like this. I don't think. I think I just realized quickly I was the daughter of someone who was famous and I was a representation of him. But my mom and dad never said to me, like, make sure you act you know, polited in public and act this, you know, a certain way because you're representing the family. And then when I was on nine oh two and oh yeah, I just I learned quickly. Like I look back at interviews I gave when I was in my late teens early twenties, and I'm like, that is so not me, Like I was so not guarded. But I just wanted to make sure I said the right thing of what I thought people wanted to see me as, because keep in mind, back then there wasn't social media, so what you saw in limited interviews on talk shows and stuff, that was it. And it wasn't until I was able to like just speak my authentic self that people are like, oh, we're not labeling her as this, this or this anymore because she has a voice. So I probably I think I go too far now, but it's been very liberating for me to have a voice and not just be seen as a certain thing, whether it was I know, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I completely agree. I mean, like it's one thing to speak truth and like, as long as you're being honest whatever, But like, no, that's something that I've run into with next Gen and I see it's like, I'm sure you could take that argument and apply to people who have come into fire on the show and whatnot for things that they've said. But it's like, as long as you are making an effort to be a good person, like that's different than saying things because you're like, oh, like I'm being completely honest and real. It's like, I'm gonna be completely honest and real, but I'm never going to intentionally try to hurt someone, and if I do, I'll take accountability and apologize for it, you know what I mean. Whereas yeah, some people won't and they don't care if they hurt someone and they're just like that's how I feel whatever.
Speaker 2: So are you for inter a specific person?
Speaker 1: Honestly, yeah, I really was disappointed by how Charlie treated Riley throughout the season. I don't think it is such a thing to ask someone to hear you out and not treat them a type of way. It takes a lot of courage to communicate what she did, and I just think the way that he treated her was very unfair.
Speaker 2: If there's a second season and I'm going to call it how you said next gen New York City, would you talk about that on it, like go further with that notion? Would you work with Rey?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I mean all of them, sorry, Charlie. How like Riley feels you know, sorry, yeah, feels resolve with everything, Like I'm just there to support her. But there's obviously so much footage that is cut down and no one can see everything. It would be literally one million episode season in order to say so, Like I've I definitely stuck up for Riley a lot throughout filming, It's just like these episodes are cut down very short, on and off camera. Then I've had conversations with Charlie about that, and he knows to this day that I'm extremely disappointed and don't support the way and when she handled that situation.
Speaker 2: I wish on shows that like archival footage that the castmates wanted to come back. Not the networks could we see that this because it is true. I mean the cameras are rolling like twenty four seven, not twenty four seven, But you know what I mean, it's they're never going to be able to see and it's obviously it is edited in a way, and all shows do this, you know, so the viewers watch. But it's a it's a I've been in these situations and so it's a tough situation that you're in, and I think you handle it beautifully.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'd like to talk to you one day when we don't have a camera on us or a podcast.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm vibing, and like, next time I'm in La, let's hang out, definitely, But the next time you're in New York. But yeah, I don't know. I mean, I don't even know what we're just talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't know either. I was wondering how I like not look like a fool and ask you for a piece of your Brooksmarks clothingline. I need a tra sit what I can get you that? No, I'll pay for it. I'll pay for I want to support you.
Speaker 1: That's very sweet, But this has been so kind of you to have me on your podcast, and like, it's the least I can do to say thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay, perfect, I'll accept them. You're really wait, you're funny.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: And I know you were funny before.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you learned something new every day.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: But I also have a new resort collection coming out that I'm super excited about. I was just saying that because if you would prefer the OG track suit or.
Speaker 2: Oh this was a personal thing. Sorry, oh my god, you'd be nice to me. Sorry, And I don't know how to accept it when people are nice to me.
Speaker 1: Wait literally saying someone gives me a compliment, I'm like, I can't take it.
Speaker 2: No, oh my gosh, okay, wait wait, what are my choices? I'm bow with choices too. I really do want to truck suit.
Speaker 1: I'm going to email it to or DM like literally whatever.
Speaker 2: I love DM. You know I do it all the time, talk to like people. I never would a millionaires think you would like talk to It's like.
Speaker 1: Crazy, are you like a reach out on DM? Person? Like? Yes, Like who do you reach out to? And what are you saying? Like someone who you watch on a show or like someone who's posts you like or you're like, what's the vibe?
Speaker 2: Okay, So my kids and I play this game well where they'll be like, oh yeah, I'm into this person and this person and I was like, oh, I'll DM them and we see who responds. So the coolest one that my kids bought is Ken Carson.
Speaker 1: That I'm familiar do you know?
Speaker 2: Okay? And they're like, oh, Ken Carson, He's never going to reply, he's huge. So I dmned him and he replied. So I'm like in bed one night and I like go to check my DMS and I was like, oh shit, Ken Carson responded, the kids are already asleep, but like my like twelve and thirteen year old are going to freak out. And my seventeen year old I had written and I was like hi, I was like, we adore you, and he wrote back it was just a booty call.
Speaker 1: And I was like, what what this is going on with his fan base?
Speaker 2: So I'm thinking I'm not cool? Is it that? Or is he thinking? So I had text him at nighttime. I was like, oh my god, is he thinking? Tory spelling like oh shit, she slid into my DMS and she and she's want like a booty call. So I was like freaking out, like I don't even have to tell my kids. And then all of a sudden, I was like, oh my god, I connected it and confirmed with my kids. I was in a movie called Scary Movie Too and the I have sex with a ghost. I was, Oh, that's your age group. So you went to nine in too and I Scary Movie Too. I had brown hair. I was the girl the fuck the ghosts.
Speaker 1: That's icon.
Speaker 2: I was the girl that had sex with a ghost. So anyway the line was from the ghost is it was just a booty call. Shut the fuck. Yeah. So I was like a hero for my kids. The Ken Carson responded to me and even knew They were like, Mom, we won't even know who you are. And then he was like, oh my god, it's tory spelling iconic Scary movie Too. So when I finally got it, I was like, lol, here for it, like as a joke, wink. And then he wrote love yea, and I was like, oh my god. And then my line that I created the movie is Kinky's Kinky's my mental name, bitch, So yeah, I wrote that back to him.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's amazing. That's actually incredible.
Speaker 2: See you thought I wasn't gonna have a good one. That was a good one. Right.
Speaker 1: No, that's insane because it's not.
Speaker 2: About Ken Carson. It's about like the story.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah. I mean does that happen to you a lot where people will just like say lines to you from your films and whatnot. Yeah, I find that to be such a funny thing that people just like come up to people and like scream a line at them. Like, I'm just like, I find it hysterical.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean in the show you don't know about called Beverly Hills, which you wouldn't because you're young.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually watched it, I know, two and O, but I think the remake, the c W version, Like, wait, Beverly Hills, is that scripted?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, so what was the reality show then? Oh?
Speaker 2: Of me? Yeah, how much time do you have? There's been a lot of incarnations. Okay, No, I'm just kidding. Tori. My husband, my ex husband's name is Dean, So it was Torri and Dean Home Sweet Hollywood, and then we had other shows. It was True Tory and then yeah, very nope, period True toy period. But on Yeah, it was a scripture show of teens in Beverly Hills in the nineties and I played a character called Donna Martin and she got drunk at prom. They weren't gonna let her graduate. All the kids had did a walk out to support her chance at Donna Martin graduates, which she became famous. And now that's what people say to me, like, Donna Martin graduates.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. I'm going to need to watch that series. That's going to be my next show.
Speaker 2: Mmm, it's a little dated, it's still hold.
Speaker 1: Up, really, I mean it was remade. That clearly means that it was a monumental like series.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's monumental, it's historical.