Speaker 1: Call It what It Is with Jessica Capshaw and Camil Luddington, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Call It crew, and welcome to another episode of Short and Sweet.
Speaker 1: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmm.
Speaker 2: That's so cute. And Jessica's got like a very peppy ponytail. I have a high pony and you have a high phony. And it's the morning, and this is perfect because we're gonna be talking about what, Jessica.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be talking about our morning routines. Yes, do you have one?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm definitely and I know it's not technically good for you, but I'm definitely like a wake up for that, like really strong cup of coffee with lots of sugary creamer in.
Speaker 1: What kind of sugary creamer it changes for this season? I'm with you, by the way, I just found a new one. I'm very excited about you know what.
Speaker 2: We've talked about this and I need to call you out on this because you deny it. No, yes, you deny this. Your memory sometimes we know.
Speaker 1: The situation a goldfish, which is why I'm so happy things like Dory, like finding Dory.
Speaker 2: No, because your memory is so brilliant brilliant in other ways. I think it's selective, is one of it. What's the calling out come on crailing out is that when we were on Gray's Anatomy together, every single morning, I would walk into the makeup trailer, I would grab my coffee. I would pour so much sugary crap in it, and you would give me shit about it. You'd like, that has no like it has it's like full of additives and all the things.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so judgy. Did I judge your coffee? I judge your morning beverage.
Speaker 2: No, But you're like giving me shit like you would give men now in the same way. You know, It's like it wasn't it wasn't yucking my m Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was jealous because it hadn't yet come to my the point in my life where I could accept that I liked the sugary, creamy stuff in my coffee. And I was probably looking at you, my black coffee, and looking at your yummy, delicious coffee. You be a black coffee person. Nah, I mean I was for a certain period of time.
Speaker 2: I mean so when I was thinking twelve years ago, by the way, we're talking about a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, I have to say, Like I was looking at morning routines. Christopher brings a lot of new science into our house. So he's on the cutting edge of these things, like when it's like when when when when it became like bad for you to drink coffee first, Like you're supposed to drink a lot of water first and then you can have your coffee. He knew that first.
Speaker 2: So what is he like, what is he implemented in your morning routine as a family that is healthier?
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like it kind of you know, you get more and more information and then you put together your you know, what is ideal for you. But I have When I was thinking about my morning routine, I was thinking, I don't have one because besides waking.
Speaker 2: Up, you open your eyeballs. That's about those routinies.
Speaker 1: Yet that's what happens every morning. But beyond that, there's really not This happens every morning in my house. I never know what I'm gonna get. I gotta be like, I gotta be nimble, I gotta be ready for anything. Can you remember I don't wake up alone. I don't wake up alone. I mean, we're looking at some of these routines. Yeah, it's laugh because some people, and God bless them, are you know, I don't know how long it takes for this routine because there's like, there's like a bev, there's an optimal beverage. There's sex with others, with oneself, there's yeah, there's there's there's there's yoga, there's stretching, there's there's so many things in a lot of people's morning routines. I just don't how I'd squish it into the amount of time that I have for waking up.
Speaker 2: I love this scene in Euphoria. It's really famous where Sidney Sweeney's doing her morning routine to like kind of I think she's trying to impress a guy, and it's like gone viral because she wakes up. She does the roller on the face, she does the eye things, she does you know, she's like doing the scrubbing on the body. Yeah. Yeah, she's doing the whole thing. She's got that like sleep in hair thing that you have where people pull it out and it's you know, they've got this like amazing Yeah, the heat the heatless curls, yes, yes, And I do none of that. There is a version. Listen if I was single without kids. There's a version I might do of that. But I'm finding like a hatchem all that's been lost for the eighteenth time and is the size of a raisin. Do you know what I mean? I'm like, okay, I don't know where it is. Let me look in the car like that's yeah, I'm just stressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, yeah, I mean I get it. I yeah, yeah, I know the morning routine. I'm just like thinking about it all. I also have children that are totally capable of setting an alarm.
Speaker 2: No, they they don't want to. No, you're the alarm, you're human alarm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I've got too that would like languish in my morning alarm nests and my my soft voice coming in and opening the blinds and being like, good morning, I love you, let's start the day. And then I've got the fourteen year old that's like just turned the corner of like I got a legit pre contract what the next morning should be, so that I don't, like, you know, except her. Oh god, that's amazing, because sometimes just the sound of my voice can do that. Can you gotta you gotta, you gotta negotiate how you come in.
Speaker 2: The tone, the tone of the morning, and like.
Speaker 1: You're literally like can can I It's all it's very consent, it's a it's a very it's like can I touch you here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Am I allowed to step in and may touch.
Speaker 1: Your shoulder when I when I go to wake you up?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god. It's that's that's so intense and I can't wait, you know, so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and by the way, she's she's the best. And again, and if you're ready for it, and you just acknowledge that that's where you're at, it's a peaceful transition. But if you don't, if you try and fight it, or you see the defiance as some sort of you know, unloving act.
Speaker 2: You have, you you you you need.
Speaker 1: Help, because it's not it's just where they're at. It's the teenagers. That's where they're at.
Speaker 2: Are you a morning person?
Speaker 1: Are you in night aul? Do you stay up late?
Speaker 2: Definitely a night owl, except you can't be with kids. So I think, and I read this study. I don't know where it is, but I swear I read a study that says somewhere that you are born literally with this internal clock that basically makes you either a night out or an early bird.
Speaker 1: You're pre set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're kind of yeah, you're kind of programmed. You're pre programmed a little bit, and then you know you're you have to unprogram yourself. But it's always a little bit there. I think you're a night all right.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't even know anymore what my pre programming, my pre children, my pre children programming was, but I do remember liking a late night. Yeah, but not I mean here, when I was in school and lots of studying was happening, I remember sleep was very important to me, and it was the difference between getting an A and staying up all night and getting a B plus and gwent in bed. When I was tired, I'd go to bed. Oh yeah, yeah, like I'm you, I'm good, I'm like, I'm tired. Now when I'm telling when I'm tired, I'm tired, Like I'm ready to go. Oh don't get Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well here's here. I have a question for you, because sometimes part of the morning routine is undoing sort of the nighttime routine. So my question for you is is there's a lot of this, you know, we're singeing on social media and a lot of like beauty things where you like tape your mouth. I don't even know what that's for. You're doing, like, so what do you take and then you're undoing the tape in the morning. What's the taping for?
Speaker 1: Because you're meant to breathe through your nose when you're sleeping, and a lot of people are mouth breathers. And there's so much science and so many articles and so many books that have been written on this. I would not even be able to do it justice been just even trying to give like a perfunctory explanation. So I think it's actually it is worth it. It's worth a shallow dive or a deep dive. I think it's very very compelling. I did it for quite well.
Speaker 2: At one point.
Speaker 1: I was so deep in that I double troubled it. And it's a double I put on the strips on top, and then so I opened up the nasal passages and really closed off the mouth passages.
Speaker 2: It was sexy as hell. Yeah, it's almost like a bit of a hostage situation, like you've ducked taped what you're into.
Speaker 1: That's what you're into, that's.
Speaker 2: Intense, Like you look like a like an art project. Well, a tape, little glitter, a little stickers.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, exact, yeah. I promise you they're going to start coming up with cute mouth tape right now. It really does look like a hostage situation. But they're gonna come up with cute stuff now, I'm sure you know. I was actually thinking as we were talking. I do have morning routines, but I almost I do have morning routines. They follow what is being asked of me that day. So when I'm working, I would have a routine. So like if my alarm went off at four thirty AM and I had to be at the studio at six twelve, it would go off at four thirty. I would take a shower, I would go to the same coffee place because it was the only one that was open on the way, and I'd go there at five twenty five or five thirty one, probably was when it opened, and there I would see like my regular baristas, and then I would you know, I mean, you have the same security guard who never recognize me that I wave to and then uh, you know, pull onto your parking spot and then yeah, then you have like a routine. Pretty much most of the time, I just uh, I uh, sometimes I get out of bed so fast dizzy, and that's not a joke. I get a little lightheaded.
Speaker 2: That is absurd, that's how fast I got out. I do have a bad habit. Actually, when my alarm goes off, I reach for my phone. I do some I like to start with a little doom scrolling, just to you know, see if I get any any new anxiety for the day, See what's going on in the world, see how terrible it is. And then I get up and then I like to shock my body with enough caffeine to keep a horse awake and some sugar.
Speaker 1: It's like you jump, you jump, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then I imagine journaling, and then remember that I don't even own a journal, and then I just move on with my life. Yeah I'm awake, I would write, Yeah, yeah, Hi, I'm awake.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, I am jealous of those people that have the lemon water that just there's nothing that says, oh God, I can't wait to wake up and just have that lemon war.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the lemon water, like the meditation, the ten minutes of journaling, just free writing.
Speaker 2: Especially in the winter. Maybe a little lemon water in the morning in the summer, in the winter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, the.
Speaker 1: Collar crew has some good morning rituals. Do you want to hear what they are?
Speaker 2: Eggs? I absolutely do because I want to steal some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, me too. Okay, this is really so. These aren't even submit Let's not call these submissions. Let's call these inspirations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the Colic Crew inspirations. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Tara likes to ice roller her face, stretch and get into the direct sunshine. I've heard a lot about that, like circadian rhythms and getting like wherever you are, whatever time zone, like when you travel, oh yeah, into the sun as soon as you can.
Speaker 2: That. I mean that makes it the ice roller. I've found an ice roller before me too.
Speaker 1: You know, then it melts and then it slides down my face and then it's all over my shirt and I'm like, or I'm over my sink while ice rolling tart.
Speaker 2: I just keep that roller in the freezer and then or the smarter and then I just yay, I don't send me the link.
Speaker 5: Yay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Emma says morning podcast.
Speaker 1: Love that.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that. I would like that for the morning drive back from work. That's when I do a podcast mm hmm, or from school. Okay, Rachel, see, this is what you do when you journal. She journals and dumps all of her thoughts into dos before starting her day.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I could do. I could journal if I had.
Speaker 2: Does Rachel have kids? I need to know more about Rachel because if she has children, I want to know when this is happening.
Speaker 1: Mmm, like before or after drop off.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, my mom used to set her alarm for an hour before the kids woke up, and she used to say that that was her only time like that was she had. She loved it so much.
Speaker 2: I just will hit that alarm, I know me. I'll be like, I'm gonna wake up and work out and I'm gonna jerk my lamb water and and then I get stuff in the sun and I'll see that alarm and I'll go, fuck you alarm taking that hour.
Speaker 1: Just sleep.
Speaker 2: Okay. Amber says morning yoga. Always start my day with at least five minutes of yoga. I've done this for four hundred and twenty two days in a row.
Speaker 1: Amber inspirational.
Speaker 2: That's probably yeah, that's gotta be good.
Speaker 1: Mm hmoh. Isabelle is a little spicy sea. I knew I told you morning sex followed by a podcast.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you, morning sex makes me sets me up for a good day.
Speaker 4: Hmmmm, it just.
Speaker 2: Makes things a little happier.
Speaker 1: I think again before before like doing drop offs and stuff. We're talking weekends.
Speaker 2: We I think more. I mean whenever, but I think if you can not that, not that there's really time, but if there is ever a time, I think I'm like, oh, feeling a day a little more. Yeah, maybe you'd wake up for that alarm, IP for that alarm. That's an alarm. I'd wake up for. Okay, Lily, Oh this is cute. Lily's a twenty minute cuddle sash in bed with my dog.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fair, that's cute.
Speaker 2: I actually that's great. I think that that's that sets you up for good day.
Speaker 1: Lauren likes to do a morning crossword puzzle and wordle crossword puzzle. You had me at Hello, Wordle. I'm miserable, terrible at it can't solve a one.
Speaker 2: Really that surplises me about you. Actually, it's like it's.
Speaker 1: Like my brain no longer functions, Like I have no guesses, I got no nothing. I I start melting a crossboard's fun.
Speaker 2: I need to start maybe.
Speaker 1: Doing a crossword. I do the New York Times one.
Speaker 2: Do you I need to do it? Okay, Nina coffee tea and chug ice water. I always start my da hydrated. So do you do? You do the coffee in the tea and then you have the water.
Speaker 1: H I don't know. She she she does what you do. She starts her system with little coffee Antie.
Speaker 2: Little and then she hydrates.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay. Summer likes to listen to Tolerate by Taylor Swift every morning.
Speaker 2: I did in my twenties. You used to list have a little I used to listen to a little Kylie Minogue every morning. Used to get me up and going there you go. Yeah okay. Alex says protein coffee with cold brew, protein powder, super greens and oat milk inspirational.
Speaker 1: And I like, never going to happen for me.
Speaker 2: It's never gonna happen for me. But I do think there's a version of me on a different planet that is doing this. This one I can see like other Camilla doing mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, great. I'm I'm so happy for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah me too, She's doing great. She looks great.
Speaker 5: She looks so good. She looks so good, she's so happy. Maya calls her bestie, that's cute. Good morning, Good morning, Cody. A three mile walk every morning. No matter what.
Speaker 1: I think, this is, this is something that I could do and I should do and.
Speaker 2: I want to do. Yeah. So the jess call on the other planet's doing that, Well, maybe the one on this.
Speaker 1: Planet's going to do this because Cody inspired me to.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, yeah, yeah, tell me when that starts happening. Justine reading for thirty minutes with my coffee. She doesn't have children, No, she doesn't have children. She's up me or she's up before the kids. But again the alarm, you know, like I'm snoozing, unless there's a there's a little involved.
Speaker 1: I love this one. Kit likes a nice morning. Scream sounds crazy, but it works for her. When we were deep into that, when we were deep in COVID and everyone was you know, jam packed in together and all that, and we were in our pods, there was a video that went viral where a mom has got like her grown children and the dad and she's standing the kitchen and she screams. She says, everyone needs to release some steam. Everyone needs to scream, and then they literally all scream like they're like, it's the most guttural, unbelievable release of so many probably negative things. But I think that it got them. You know, you just got to scream sometimes.
Speaker 2: Can I be honest. I've done this with my family.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I call it scream therapy.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: When everyone's really frustrated and just everyone's on edge and everyone's like, right, you can feel the pressure cooker.
Speaker 1: I've done a scream therapy and I'm like, you know what we're all going to do.
Speaker 2: We're all going to do a big old scream and it just like makes people giggle and makes them laugh. But I don't. I don't do a scream every morning. If I do, my kids waking up to be screaming everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, that would look a little crazy. I think a good scream is nice.
Speaker 3: Also in your car, a car car scream works for me, Okay, scream screaming is for in my car, and crying is in for my shower is for my shower.
Speaker 1: Screaming in my car.
Speaker 2: That's a good Yeah, yeah, exactly. Or Nelia says, I spend thirty minutes of complete silence and stare into the abyss so no one can speak to me before I start my day.
Speaker 1: I caught you staring into the abyss, I wouldn't talk to you.
Speaker 2: I would leave thirty minutes just staring at the abyss. Listen, I get it. Honestly, that did feel like the pandemic to me.
Speaker 1: Yes, it sure did.
Speaker 2: The crew having morning sex, Oh, morning sex with myself best way to start the day. All right, that's a little self care in the morning again. I think it would set you up.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You know what, though, I feel like i'd get a little tired after start, go fall back asleep. I think I fall back asleep and I'd be like so satisfied.
Speaker 1: That I bet you're like good night, good night, and good night to me. Hugh says morning meditation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people love that.
Speaker 1: I have a hard time meditating. I don't even really think I know what it is.
Speaker 2: I don't really know how to do it.
Speaker 1: I should have someone on.
Speaker 2: The pot teach, just because there's a part of me that is like, are you do you? Can you honestly take out the world, Like if I start meditating, I'm like, we're out of milk, we're out of bread.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but evidently there's a there's yeah, there's a strategy for that.
Speaker 2: There's a version where you're not thinking yeah, yeah, yeah, Lauren, I burned sage around the house and set my intentions for the day sage every day. Interesting. Perhaps she lives in some sort of demonic situation, like a haunted house.
Speaker 1: To get clear in those spirits every day, you gotta clear those spirits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. Lauren lives in the Amity Bill house, and you gotta you gotta light that stage, and you gotta set the intention to not be possessed later in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Okay, Taylor's like you. She's a morning doom scroll type of girly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love a doom scroll.
Speaker 1: I love it. It makes me do I don't think I doomed scroll. I think I just did the thing I talked about before where I go and I think everyone's life is that I need to be doing something differently.
Speaker 2: Do you not?
Speaker 3: Do not? Do not?
Speaker 2: Wake up and think, like, has the next worlds? Have aliens invaded? Has something happened overnight that I need to like just check in on? So you're not driving to school and there's a spaceship just flying by, and you're like, wait, what happened that?
Speaker 1: That is not a worry that occupies my space. I've got others don't worry, but that not that. I don't think something's happened every night that I don't know about.
Speaker 2: Oh. I think that there could have been like an Independence Day and I'll be will Smith grabbing the newspaper. Oh I got a check.
Speaker 1: I did say yes, and it didn't make any sense, but I did say the dogs were all following me around all day long in a very different kind of way. And the weather's been kind of just very abnormally warm here on the East Coast, and in California there always used to be like that earthquake weather where you just yeah, it's something.
Speaker 2: There was a disturbance.
Speaker 1: Horse or the fire weather, and here it's just like there's something that's not right. And then the dogs kept following me around, and I actually did have like a low key worry, like something about do they know something I don't. I wanted to speak dog. I wanted to be like, Gus, cal come here, give it to me. Yeah, something going to happen.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, do people know by the way, that we have the same name for a dog, and I don't know.
Speaker 1: You have a gus and I have a gus.
Speaker 2: We have a gut. We both have a gus. Here's is a gus gus too, right?
Speaker 1: No, you know, I mean I know who Gus Gus is, but yours is more of a gus gus and mine's more of a gus or a gussy or I think it's technical. I think is his legal name is Gus Kissy Gabagan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sometimes Gus is gussing to It's just it's more of a it's one of.
Speaker 1: He feels when he's feeling fancy.
Speaker 2: It was a little fancy, Okay, Jessalynn says, I wake up and open every window in my house for fresh air. My husband hates it, but I do it always.
Speaker 1: Oh, I do it anyways, I mean good, great, Maybe not if he hates it. I don't know. Maybe every other day if he hates it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I this has nothing to do because we're gonna wrap up this this this little short and sweet right now. But and this has nothing to do with it. But I'm just wondering. I'm just spitballing here. We definitely need someone on to like help us, you know, figure out how to meditate. That's what I'm figuring out. Also, do we need someone on here to talk about aliens? And I'm not kidding. I did not see that coming. I know you didn't see it coming, like whiplash with these things. It's a little yeah, but it came up. It came up organically.
Speaker 1: And now I'm wondering the doomscrolling took you to the aliens.
Speaker 2: It did because I have watched you. Yes, I do, I do too. Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I think we need some sort maybe we need an alien on I'm not joking. Listen, I know you know et so it's like not.
Speaker 1: That crazy, right, Yeah? Yeah, I don't think aliens walk amongst us though, like.
Speaker 2: I do think, I don't know, we need to ask somebody. That's I'm really Do you think aliens take.
Speaker 1: Human form and walk amongst us?
Speaker 2: Perhaps? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, yeah yeah sure, great, let's have yeah, let's have a little area fifty one expert come in and talk.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, wait, Jessica, I'm not kidding. Let's do it like a two hour special of aliens.
Speaker 1: Well, you you know what you all tell us if you want to talk about aliens. How about that Camela wants to talk about aliens? Do you all let us know?
Speaker 2: Listen, this is what I love about a little a little podcast, because you never know where it takes you. We were talking morning routines and mm hmm, we're gonna have a shape shifter on.
Speaker 1: We went from your mamate to aliens.
Speaker 2: All right, you've got to call it before we absolutely just end up on a completely different subject.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've already get the aliens. Okay, Well, let's call it what it is. Let's call it the end of the episode.