Speaker 1: Yea one on one. You see a couple of them in My Taste with ye and.
Speaker 2: My lemonade because I let the way it tastes best cease at the parents.
Speaker 1: Can't he let me run the base? Yeah? My tame is like my money because I can't.
Speaker 2: Afford to waste. Oh why see is alloyer to my date? To my dates or to stick by the plate sending case? Have the case from my race at my pace.
Speaker 3: Claric grass a Snack Episode three ninety four of Bucco Banter, myself, Adam Shore, Scott Moore, Jim Stam as always on your mid week live episode. If you have any comments, concerns, questions, drop him in the comments below. Will be more than happy to answer them. As this live streams on Facebook, YouTube and X.
Speaker 4: Boys. Not great, not great at all.
Speaker 3: What we deem to be the most important homestand and probably the last ten years ends.
Speaker 4: On a pretty low note in the CUB series.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about a little bit, but we've already discussed that. We tried to move past it. We had the Wolf Game. Shout out to everybody that showed up for the.
Speaker 5: Wolf Games Best Game of the Week.
Speaker 4: Best Game of the Week was the world.
Speaker 3: Fifty people around showed up to the rotunda and you, Howard, your faces off was incredible. It was worked, incredible, and it worked. The power of the Wolf game is strong. The Buccos are two to zero Wolf games the rest of the series, and I'll go through it real quick before we get into a more in depth conversation because I feel like this might go in a bunch of different directions. Game two was maybe one of the sloppiest baseball games we've seen the Pirates play all year, up until the eighth and the ninth inning when they came back, and then you're like, Okay, the battling Bucos. This is the offense that I've grown to love throughout the season, where you never feel out of it. Down six runs, who can you can come back?
Speaker 4: Swing of a bat?
Speaker 3: Tie the ball game up didn't go their way. We'll discuss extra innings throughout this episode. And then what Scott rightfully so deemed to be the toughest game of the series proved to be true today on Wednesday, because you just got absolutely dealt on and the curse of facing lefties in this twenty twenty six season continues. Boys, I don't know if you saw this stat they are nine and twenty three this year first left handed pitching, the lowest in the league, nine and twenty three. So, Scott, you mentioned Game three was gonna be the toughest, and it proved to be the toughest. What did you see today?
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of uncompetitive and bets guys. They went righty heavy.
Speaker 6: They brought up just Sincant Garcia to not to face necessarily lefty, but to get another right hitd and bat in that lineup right into check. Maybe a change of scenery for everybody involved. Tyler Callaghen was getting cold. Send him down to Tripay. I didn't really have a qualm with any of the moves made today. But at the same time, this is what you brought in in Marcelo Zuna to do right is to face your left handed pitchers, especially these types of the guys, and he just hasn't really shown up this year in these instances for the most part. And yeah, it was really disappointing because the first two games in this series were against Meryl Kelly and Brandon Fought. Brandon Fought has been better since his recall in Tune, but at the same time, Meryl Kelly has been one.
Speaker 5: Of the worst pitchers in baseball this year.
Speaker 6: And they were unable to do anything offensively or string together some runs together at all in either of these two games. Very low scoring on the offensive side. Kind of disappointing for a team that ranks in the top five in a lot of offensive categories in the entire league.
Speaker 7: Jim, Yeah, well, yeah, disappointing, guys. I mean.
Speaker 8: Maybe some people think, hey, you know that that series was a player two away from us whinning it. I felt like they could have easily gotten slept, Like in my the way I view those games, short of that spurt here in the eighth and ninth inning where they came back and got the game high just they woke up just in time. You know, bats were sporadic, non exists in the final game.
Speaker 7: Defense was problematic.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's something we've dealt with all year, and you know, they keep talking about trying to clean things up.
Speaker 7: But I was just really really kind.
Speaker 8: Of disappointed in the showing against Look that the Cubs are one thing the Diamondbacks. I felt like that was a series we should have fared better and it should have looked better and quite honestly, guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get both teams and you're like, this is the Pirates are a better team, right, Like I'm saying that is.
Speaker 4: You know, we're a Pirate's podcast.
Speaker 3: We covered the team, but from afar just looking at it as maybe from a journalistic standpoint, you probably take the Pirates squad over the Diamondback squad, right.
Speaker 6: We said this in the Cleveland series too, Adam, and I don't think the difference was that Stark as Stark this series between the two clubs, like I would take Arizona over Cleveland. But at the same time, I think this roster, when you line it up, you know, position by position, pitching against pitching, I would take our team nine times out of ten and just they didn't show up, and you're gonna have those series, right, But you'd hope in a in a homestand of this magnitude that they would have maybe showed up a little bit more.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 5: It was quieter than I expected.
Speaker 8: I'm not I just don't know what they're gonna do against these lefties, because it's clearly clearly the Achilles heel.
Speaker 7: Of this offense.
Speaker 8: Right anytime, like I sat at that game today, the final game of the series, and they could not look any more lifeless offensively. And I'm sitting there watching a guy in Eduardo Rodriguez, who I mean, his numbers are good.
Speaker 7: It's not just against the Pirates, mind you, but sits anywhere from eighty five to ninety two.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't think the fastball gets over ninety five, he he, I don't think.
Speaker 7: I don't think it did today.
Speaker 8: You know, he reaches back and gets it up in near ninety four occasionally, and they just they just couldn't square him up at all. And anytime they had anything going, they hit into a couple of crucial double plays. And but you know, and I think the move when they got password up was a clear sign.
Speaker 7: That they know how problematic this is.
Speaker 8: Right, Like they were willing to get him up here just for today, if nothing else, to try to get his bat in a line line, to try to get something going. And yeah, you know, I know we're missing guys, but you know, Horwitz and Cruz or lefties. So I mean, like the righties just don't get it done when we face those types of pictures.
Speaker 7: They just don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marcelo Zuna is essentially a zero at this point, even against right handed or left handed pitchers.
Speaker 4: Right, it's just not getting the job done.
Speaker 3: And as Marilyn Valdez, who's been very, very good, it's starting to get figured out a little bit more. Right. It's not going to be like, hey, he's going to put the ball in play every single time. Right, he's still having good at bats where he's working counts and he's not chasing, although some pretty bad chases and extra innings, which I want to get into a little bit.
Speaker 4: But it makes you think about the trade deadline a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Right, because if you get into the race, if you get it into the playoffs, is it just hey, let's close it up. You're facing show to e Minaga, you're facing Edward Rodriguez.
Speaker 4: It's done. Good season, boys, that's all it takes.
Speaker 3: Right, So do you need to add some type of platoon option or another bat that it just gives you a better opportunity to drive and runs here, because it's something you just can't ignore. I'm obviously we're in July, we're going into August.
Speaker 4: You can't ignore anything anymore.
Speaker 3: But it was a little bit more excusable at the beginning of the year, but it's just.
Speaker 4: It's bad you can't hit lefties.
Speaker 5: They are what they are, what they are.
Speaker 8: We know what this problem with this team is defense, uh, suspect against left handed pitching in the bullpen.
Speaker 7: This is what this is what their deficiencies are.
Speaker 4: I mean I already touch on this real quick.
Speaker 3: Griffin will be in the lineup, but are you when, like it might be late by then when Griffin gets back in the lineup.
Speaker 6: And Horwitz just suffered a set back. I mean he's he's got a concussion cruise. I mean, they're ramping them up. He's gonna start baseball activities, but he's starting baseball activities.
Speaker 8: So yeah, and Griffin's halfway through this like at best, at best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I just think every day is.
Speaker 6: You're you're you're losing an opportunity to You're that much further from contention.
Speaker 5: So they can't really afford to waste any more days. And they continue to do so.
Speaker 6: And you got a six game homestand winning two out of those games is not okay. And now you go into Cincinnati and on a road trip, you're happy with taking the majority of the games, but like, I almost feel like they have to go to Cincinnati and sweep, and I don't see that as a realistic option, right, Like you're gonna go up against the Chase Burns again, you're facing him on the on Sunday. You know, I I do like their chances Againstrhet Louder tomorrow.
Speaker 5: But.
Speaker 4: Starting tomorrow, It's true, and I like their.
Speaker 5: I like their chance.
Speaker 6: This is against Merril Kelly and that didn't work out. So like they gotta start playing big dog. They gotta play above their competition here a little bit more.
Speaker 5: And they just haven't done that, and.
Speaker 6: It's gonna cost them, guys, It's gonna cost them, and they've got to make changes. Like August third is Monday. August third is Monday, that's the trade deadline, three pm Eastern time.
Speaker 5: Like what are we waiting for?
Speaker 6: Let's if you're serious about contending this year, the n L is as a gauntlet. This isn't the American League. You're just you may cost yourself by waiting two extra days to improve this team.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, you we've We're beaten the drum over and over and over again that you have to make moves before August third in order just to stay afloat. And then we were worried that if you don't stay afloat, if something like this happens, what happens to the narrative at the deadline. I really hope it doesn't change. I don't think it has yet. It hasn't gotten that bad because this team still shows that they can compete with the best of the best, that they can turn around a game at any point. The bullpen has been much better. Can we at least acknowledge.
Speaker 8: That they had a good series against the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 4: The bullpen's been better.
Speaker 3: Outside Isaac struggled, Isaac got sent down, but the.
Speaker 4: Bullpen has been better.
Speaker 3: Marnaccio has been pretty good outside of the first start, right. Scott's pumped about that. We'll have an episode with him coming out. What tomorrow, Scott, We're.
Speaker 5: Gonna put on Friday?
Speaker 6: Yeah, depending, Yeah, Well, we'll put that out soon. And he was a fun conversation guys. He was He was great, and you know, maybe he can catch fire and regain some of that steam he had in the Yankees bullpen. But the bullpen was much better. I do think Hunter Barco is an improvement over Brandon Eisert.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 6: I think a lot of people would be. So I'm not sold on Hunter Barco as a reliever. I thought tomorrow would have been. It would have been a golden opportunity for him to start a game, even if you pitch him three innings, use him in that role that you're planning on using Johann Ramirez in.
Speaker 8: Well, let's let's talk about the pitching real quick, in the sense of guys, what do you are you okay with the use of Carmen Macjinsky in the final game of this Diamondback series when I think he came in. I think Alex Stump put out that when he entered the game, the Pirates had eleven point seven percent chance of winning that game. And then afterwards they come out and they're saying they're gonna start Johann tomorrow. So obviously the question is is that a wise use?
Speaker 5: No, I mean, like listen, hindsight, like.
Speaker 6: If I'm in that position three to nothing, like I want to just, you know, stop the bleeding.
Speaker 5: I want to get someone out here that's going to be reliable.
Speaker 6: And in Karmen Magensky, it is one of the guys I would call upon, but they've used him as this multi inning guy after Jared a majority of the time, and it just needs to stop now today.
Speaker 5: I'm like, it's a different situation.
Speaker 6: I get it, So I I get the argument, but they need to utilize Carmen in different situations.
Speaker 5: They just need to The.
Speaker 3: Problem I find with it is we've kind of told this tale before, but in a different way where we've prevented the use of Mason Montgomery and others because of looking out for the future, right and saying, okay, well down the road, hey, we're gonna need to preserve him for an important game on Friday. Got an important game today, right, And I understand again wanting to stop the bleeding, But when you're also using that logic, it's like, all right, well, we do need a starter for tomorrow. We do need somebody to eat up a lot of innings tomorrow when you have what could be a platoon of what Johan Noah Murdoch, Hunter Barco guys, yeah, and a lot of new guys when you really trust Carmen, so hey, why not say hey, we're using these other guys. I know we've been taxed a little bit it because of the extra innings and what we've had to go through this series. But we really wanted to conserve him for Thursday. It just, you know, no matter what way you look at it, I don't think you win here, right because it's like, all right, we're up three to nothing. We don't want to go down anymore. We know our offense could get us back in this game. So say you put in Johann Ramirez and he walks a couple of guys, they give up runs. We're having a totally different conversation, which is just baseball generally.
Speaker 4: But it is odd and it's fair.
Speaker 8: You have to look at it from both sides because we we do complain and people do complain about not trying to win the game in front of you today. So you know that's fair Devil's advocate, Uh but yeah, you know then that puts you in game one of this four game red series, go into a lot of guys that you know, who knows right, So.
Speaker 7: You don't want to get off to a bad start there either. Yeah, It's it's tough. It's tough.
Speaker 8: They this roster has put them in a lot.
Speaker 7: Of tough spots.
Speaker 8: With depth positions defensively, things like that.
Speaker 7: It's just not a well enough built roster to get around some of this stuff unfortunately.
Speaker 6: Agree to one hundred percent, and I want to I want to revisit the conversation Adam brought up a little bit ago about buying versus selling, Like, I don't think there's any conversations within the Pirates front office about selling at all.
Speaker 5: I really don't.
Speaker 6: Like. This is a front office that is fighting for their jobs at this point. You're seven years and you're the deadline is a weekend away. Like, they are absolutely buying. And to what degree that's going to be the next question. But they're absolutely buying. I'd put everything on it that they are. But my our whole argument the last month or more has been you could have bought sooner and it doesn't have to be a closure because no one's going to give you a closer in June, right, But they could have done more to improve this roster earlier and they're gonna suffer the consequences now, and.
Speaker 4: They are anything can happen down the stretch man.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's it's just gonna be tough to look back on it at the end of the season and say what if?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 7: For sure?
Speaker 8: Yeah, the only thing I'll add is I told you guys, and I'll let our listeners hear this. But last night I had a meeting with the MLB Fan Counsel and we had Derek. Let me make sure I don't butcher olb right, Derek Fouby, who is the.
Speaker 7: Former Twins president of baseball and business operations.
Speaker 8: We had a big conversation with him, and it was fantastic, by the way, guys like, I'll fill you guys in and I got tons of notes from it and whatnot. But we talked a good bit about the trade deadline and how that comes together and what and he basically he was there for I think nine years and it was in Cleveland working his way up to theres too, could have been, but he's definitely he's got small market experience under his belt for sure. And the one thing that did stick out to me that he said that, you know, and people may not want to hear this, you know, and we've even railed against this, and Scott, you just mentioned it with the fact of trying to get things done earlier than you know, two three weeks ago, and he said, as this has shifted and evolved, he said, it's really, really, really difficult to.
Speaker 7: Get anything done with.
Speaker 8: From a week at from a week out, you have chances, but before then you're just not seeing it.
Speaker 7: And that's kind of the way that's evolved over the years.
Speaker 8: So you know, I thought that was an interesting nugget because we've pushed pretty hard.
Speaker 7: For them to do something two or three weeks ago.
Speaker 8: Maybe it's just not Maybe it's just not possible in the landscape of baseball now.
Speaker 6: So I know, like it's not possible to make a blockbuster, and like there's teams that have made decent sized traits. But like my whole thing was, hey, maybe Nike a Rod may Nacho Mayonaccio type of signing in June, Like Dennis Santana should have gone a long time ago, right, And I love Dennis, loved what everything he contributed to this organization, had a very positive mindset every day, but like they ran him out.
Speaker 5: There way too long, way too.
Speaker 6: Long, And those are the type of moves like you brought in Dennis Santana in that way, right, Like he came off of the way for one exact thing, and you could have done something like that that could have been a temporary not even a temporary, but a a slight patch to the the obvious hole that you had.
Speaker 5: On this roster.
Speaker 4: Extremely obvious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mentioned guys like Dennis Santana, Johan Ram Mirrors. You know those two guys have in common. They both wear forty four pro gloves. Oh snack, and look at this thing that forty four sent us boys.
Speaker 4: I mean, oh my god, the details on this.
Speaker 3: You ever open up a new baseball glove and you just get that ooh, that whiff of new leather that you got to break in its stiffs. Oh god, dude, this is this is what it's all about right here. And as much as I'd like to keep this bad boy for myself, we gotta give it away. We got to share the love with the people and what forty four is doing for the game. So this is my call to action for the next weekend series when we were back at P and C Park, We're giving this away.
Speaker 4: We're gonna give this away.
Speaker 3: This is a legit baseball glove, Like talk about a glove you might have for life, probably could be.
Speaker 5: This is the.
Speaker 4: Biggest giveaway we've ever had.
Speaker 3: This is a legit signature series glove that they made for us, black and yellow, just for the Pirates and we're gonna give it away at P and C Park. How we do that is to be determined, but we'll have more details in the meantime. You can go to forty four pro dot com. If you use Bucco twenty at check out, you get twenty percent off of a custom glove that could last your lifetime. And the options are limitless here.
Speaker 4: They really are.
Speaker 5: I can attest to that. Go customize the glove.
Speaker 6: Adam and I both customize our softball gloves two years ago, maybe longer on the website. I have not one, but two Italian flags on my glove and.
Speaker 4: They didn't stop them. They didn't, and then it stopped me.
Speaker 5: They're like, this is excessive.
Speaker 6: They shouldn't do They shouldn't shouldn't they should have right, But they did it. And that's the point. So the customization process is definitely an amazing sealing point with forty four but not just a customeration. It's the quality of the glove too, that is it goes a long way. I mean, I'm gonna have that softball glove for the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's really great. Boys.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about the extra innings on the second game, Okay, I was watching from the press box. Admittedly, I planned on going home early that day. I showed up to the park early to get some stuff done. I went home around the seventh inning, and I thought I was doing myself a favor, to be honest, because the game just did not live up to what followed the day before. Right. You had the Wolf game, you win an extra innings, you dig deep, and then I get home and I see they tie it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, all right, ball game, let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's get back into it, and you get those juices flowing again, and you find a way to scrap back and tie it up after the Dbacks.
Speaker 4: Go ahead by one.
Speaker 3: But some of the bats that were in that game late in the game, we're just not very inspiring, right, And I think that's when baseball gets really baseball, if you know what I'm talking about, in terms of playing.
Speaker 4: Old school small ball.
Speaker 3: Having to do everything the right way when you're starting off with that ghost runner on second base, which we could sit here and.
Speaker 4: Argue about all day.
Speaker 3: Whether you like it or not, I personally do not like it, but you know, sometimes I yeah, it sucks.
Speaker 4: You like it, Scott, I do?
Speaker 5: I do I love, I love, I love.
Speaker 4: Well you like small ball or do you like the ghost Runner?
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, I thought you were talking about small ball. Sorry.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, I thought you were. I thought you were all over the ghost Runner.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 6: No, I'm old school man. I like the I like laying down a bunch moving runners, right.
Speaker 8: But I the little bit of respect I had for you was gone when I thought you liked ghost Runners.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: You take the respect away like you just did, Jim.
Speaker 3: You could get it back, but it's still a little bit less than it was before.
Speaker 4: So it's running out.
Speaker 6: I used ghost Runners in my front yard in Newcastle, Pennsylvania as a ten year old growing up playing will football.
Speaker 5: I don't think major League Baseball should be doing that.
Speaker 4: Okay, good.
Speaker 3: So the point being is we are getting back in extra innings to having to execute right, to having meaningful at bats, to playing that small ball right because if we're not doing that, if we don't have the ghost Runner, you're just playing baseball.
Speaker 4: At this point, it has to become a little bit more strategic.
Speaker 3: And while at some point during the game, Callahan laid down a nice bunt right, there was some good stuff.
Speaker 4: There was some at bats where Baldez.
Speaker 3: Who has been really good with not swinging at stuff outside of the zone, you're trying to do a little bit too much. Nikki g in the first pitch of it at bat pulls a ground ball on a pitch outside the zone. It just there was a lot of stuff where you look at it, it's like, man, like I wish you'd dug deeper a little bit there.
Speaker 4: And obviously the game of baseball is hard.
Speaker 3: Just saying it is a little bit easier than going out against a guy trying to get you out and doing it like I get that I'm not going to be here, and like, well, you should have just done your job, Like if you just hit a ground ball to the right side, it's all easy. Like obviously they're trying to do a job, but you just have to get a little bit more nitty gritty about it. And when you're in that type of situation and the game's really going into that ten to eleventh, twelfth inning, it gets a little you boil it down to the very very specifics, and they just weren't able to play as clean of a game throughout you know, twelve as the Diamondbacks were Obviously, they gave up the lead and the Diamondbacks had to fight their way back.
Speaker 4: But in the eleventh and twelfth inning, the Buckos just did.
Speaker 3: Not do a good enough job of playing that small ball game and getting runners over and having calculated at bats that needed to be done.
Speaker 6: Can we stop playing doubleheaders and extra innings like I just yeah, I mean so much of that in the last two to three weeks. It's just worn out our staff and it's not.
Speaker 8: A great idea for a team with a shaky bullpen. Let's just put it.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 6: And I thought for the most part, outside of Isaac Matts and who we love and I you know, obviously Phil Horror he's been optioned to Triple A, I thought everyone looked pretty solid out of the pen, like we mentioned uh this week, But yeah, not a great way to play ball or to survive in a very important time of the season when your bullpen is the weakest part of your team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you had any Rodriguez, Chase Valdez Chase, and then the Nicki Gonzalez. It was just some really uninspiring at bats from guys that have had pretty good at bats. But you know, again you mentioned playing doubleheaders and going extra innings the game it's already hard enough, Like the longer it goes on, the more difficult to get.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think too, Adam.
Speaker 8: You mentioned it that those are the innings where it's it's it's it's.
Speaker 7: Pro baseball time, like professional at bats. You got to know what you're doing.
Speaker 8: You have to do the little things that matter, and they just were not good enough in that game and haven't.
Speaker 7: Been good enough in that situation.
Speaker 8: And I think too, like you know, you can get young guys out in those situations a lot because there's a little bit of over anxiousness.
Speaker 7: I think you saw that in the Valdez at bat.
Speaker 8: The Nick nzals A bat really disappointed me, Like I you know, Nikki g has has turned himself into a pretty useful baseball player this year, but that was about as stupid of an at bat as I can possibly remember someone having. And it was a short at bet because he swung at the first pitch and guy on second leading off the innings.
Speaker 5: Which is not unusual for him, Jim, it isn't.
Speaker 8: But but again we're talking situationally here, like you cannot do that and if you are, you're not hitting a week chopper to third. I just thought it was it was poor IQ baseball. I don't know if that's selfish baseball or not, but I absolutely hated that at that and I thought it was a huge, huge problem.
Speaker 5: I hated out at bat too.
Speaker 6: I think this is where a guy like Nikki G you can kind of expose him for being the aggressive hitter that he is. Coming into a situation like that where maybe you need to see a few pitches or you need to get yours. This is a guy that the first pitch he sees that is remotely his, he's going to jump on and in that moment it happened to be in a chopper of the third base. It was the worst possible scenario, right, And he's done so much for us this year, like he's been the most consistent bat, but that situation.
Speaker 5: Where we need him the most, you know, it.
Speaker 7: Didn't work out.
Speaker 5: So you're trying to do too much, trying to do too much? Yep.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I think too, it's like, you know, people are talking about why aren't you button in there? You know, I can live with Nikki G typically handling the bat well enough to get something to the right side. I even saw people talking about why I wasn't as Merlin bunting. I thought, that is nothing. That is not something you probably want to ever see, because it is Merlin's squaring around has probably done that less than a handful of times in his life, and I just don't think you'd want to see that.
Speaker 4: I also just got hit in the hand with a baseball.
Speaker 7: Great point, like, you know.
Speaker 3: It's fine again, you have to deal with who you have up at the plate. But just at that point, I started to realize, like, while this game has got my juice has flown a little bit, and it's exciting, and hey, we could be talking about a series win here with a disappointing game on Sunday.
Speaker 4: It's just the other way around right now.
Speaker 3: And now you're you're in a situation where you go in the road and you got what seventeen games straight.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's it's a hall before we get too far away from it, Adam, you mentioned about how the Pirates picked up Santana, and those are the type of moves you're talking about before that last week the tread trade deadline. Looking back, Pirates picked up Santana on June eleventh in twenty twenty four. So exactly what you're talking about, which is trying to do something a little bit early and earlier in the cycle, even if it's not somebody sexy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as much as I love sexy, sexy's great.
Speaker 5: Who doesn't like sexy?
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, who doesn't let me know right now if you don't like sexy?
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you, if you put it into comments, we want to know.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You expose yourself.
Speaker 4: Expose yourself.
Speaker 6: Quite choice words there, Scott, Should I say, reveal yourself?
Speaker 4: Reveal yourself.
Speaker 3: Hey, let's take a step back and give some credit where credits due.
Speaker 4: Mitch Keller has looked really good.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: After the All Star break Game, won the Wolf Game again. Do I think it's a coincidence? I do five and a third six hits to earn one walk or strikeouts.
Speaker 4: Almost no cutter, only three whiffs.
Speaker 3: This is what I love about this, almost no cutter usage, only three whiffs.
Speaker 4: Heavy four scene change up.
Speaker 3: Slider goes to what's been working for him, and it was like vintage Mitch Keller of just getting through a ballgame, trying to eat innings, not overpowering guys, not missing a lot of bats, but getting a job done. So he did everything that he could to keep him in that game.
Speaker 6: Did you guys think that maybe got I don't want to say screwed a little bit today, but like I don't know, uh dnked and dunked a little bit, you know, I mean eight hits, it's a lot for four innings. He threw ninety one pitches foreign runs, but like the walks are down, the command is definitely better than.
Speaker 5: It has been.
Speaker 4: He got paper cuted to death.
Speaker 5: He got paper cutted. That's a great way to play.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, he look he wasn't He didn't look ass sharp. But I think those numbers were a little misleading.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: So I mean we're looking at the pitching staff. Not bad, right, Jared Jones.
Speaker 7: Jared Jones looked great today, Brady Person, I thought he looked great today.
Speaker 4: He's looked really good.
Speaker 3: So it's still a weird situation that this team finds himself in where the starting pitching is starting to go a little bit better. The hitting now, well, they're still showing the ability to put up six to seven to eight runs a game. It's become a little bit stale, right, You're not getting as coractic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's sporadic.
Speaker 3: You're not getting a consistent and attack throughout a ball game, right, You're getting a little bit too quiet throughout the game, and then you're having a couple of innings here and there. But I don't know if that's just going to be a matter of adding some new blood to the lineup, like people are mentioning with Spencer Horwitz and O'Neal Cruz. But I want to remind people, like these guys haven't played baseball in a while.
Speaker 4: Like Orwitz has rehabbed, he's looked pretty good. I'm worried when.
Speaker 3: O'Neill comes back that people are gonna get back to, oh my god, what is he swinging at or he's striking out or he's not slugging too much, because we're dealing with a hand injury here, folks. We're dealing with a guy who relies heavily on hitting the ball really hard and slugging. And we're also talking about a guy who, while this year has done much better at hitting lefties historically, has not, so like, does that change, Like you're putting your eggs in a lot of the Hey, we just need these guys back in the lineup. We got to remember, these guys were doing a pretty good job of figuring it out when they were gone. And while I think getting them back will be beneficial, I don't want to just say like, hey, this is the missing ingredient right now, like there there's more that needs to be done other than just getting those two back.
Speaker 8: Definitely. I look today because I was curious, I'm like, when when is O'Neill Cruises. When was his last at bat?
Speaker 7: It was June sixth. I mean, like, do the math on that.
Speaker 8: He's he's probably not going to hit the ground running, So yeah, that's gonna you know, Spencer, I think is.
Speaker 7: The type of hitter that probably.
Speaker 8: Does a little bit better in that situation than a Cruise would. We'll yeah, yeah, still knows the strike so well.
Speaker 7: Enough, works counts, locks, whatever.
Speaker 8: But yeah, so these are guys you can't just automatically count on right away when they come.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, having a Horwitz in the lineup to work deep counts would have paid off today when you got a guy like Edward R.
Speaker 4: Rodriguez just what like through.
Speaker 3: Seven innings had like sixty pitches or something like that. Like we've talked to mang him in the past about just like him being a past and maybe not getting a result in at bat, but driving a starting pitcher out of a game by having a ten pitch at bat or working deep into counts.
Speaker 4: Like we just didn't see that today.
Speaker 8: No, I mean he was, you know, I think it was the seventh inning and he was possibly entering complete game territory.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 8: Especially if you're having trouble hitting these guys, at least make them get their pitch counts up. We you know, accomplish that part of it at least. But uh, it felt like he was gonna go an easy eight today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think we could talk about this Diamondback series a lot, but do we want to maybe recap or re preview. I guess I should say the upcoming series in Cincinnati because we've got four straight games against a team in the cellar of the NL Central. I think this is an important series. I think this is an important series to feast on a rival.
Speaker 4: Right one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Before we do get into that, I will mention that myself and Debo will be in Cincinnati this weekend, and I know for a fact the Laws are different no matter where you go. But so help me God, if they can't put up any runs, I'm gonna have to call the fine folks over at Pharaoh Weaver and Okan because a Faraoh Weaver and Oakan they fight for your rights, providing aggressive criminal defense and appellate representation when the stakes are highest. Guys, at this time of the year, when the pirates are fighting for a wild card spot boy, the stakes are high, and you might find yourself in a sticky situation. And I guarantee you the fine folks over at Pharaoh Weaver in Oakin can help you out when you are in a bind, because when it counts, most experience mean matters. Call Farah Weaver an Oaken today for any of your legal needs.
Speaker 4: That being said, if.
Speaker 3: You're in Cincinnati and you commit a crime, I'm not so sure they could help you out. But when you get back to Pennsylvania, good old Keystone State, Faraoh Weaver and Oakin has you covered.
Speaker 7: And I'll tell you what's a crime is the skyline Chili I.
Speaker 6: Food like you should just maybe, I don't know, cancel yourself as a city like it's that that can't be right, that's disgusting to quote.
Speaker 8: Scott last week he said, I'll put almost anything in my mouth and uh, true story. By the way, he did say that, and uh, I'm not doing Skyline Chili.
Speaker 7: I can tell you that much.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I don't remember that, but I don't doubt it.
Speaker 5: I don't remember the other, but probably, oh it happens.
Speaker 6: Let's go into the rest series on that note, the Reds come in. They haven't played yet tonight, but they come in fifteen fifty six, last in the Central.
Speaker 5: That's going to remain the same regardless of the outcome tonight.
Speaker 6: Tomorrow, Johann Ramirez gets the spot start in Cincinnati against Rett Louder and Red Louder's guy we've already.
Speaker 5: Faced this year.
Speaker 6: This is a first round pick out a Wake Forest. He's already battled Paul Skins in the.
Speaker 5: College World Series.
Speaker 6: He's three and seven with a five to sixty one ERA this year sixty five k's a one to five to seven.
Speaker 5: Web has struggled this year.
Speaker 6: On May second in Pittsburgh, one in one third, he didn't even get it out of the second inning. Five hits, eight earned four walks, one K in a seventeen to seven pirates win, We'll come at you with a sinker slider forteen change.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: He's got the He's a prototype of a modern command and pitchability starter. He doesn't have overpowering stuff, compensates with elite strike throwing, sequencing, and just phil for pitching.
Speaker 5: He know limit walks.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: He's got a high floor lax elite below the fastball system like ninety two to ninety three range. But this is the guy we jumped on right away in the beginning of May, and he hasn't really thrown it much better since then. So I again, like a Merrill Kelly, this is the guy that we could start off the series.
Speaker 5: With jumping on. Hopefully they do it differently this series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Friday you got a five star matchup with Paul Skins and Hunter Green. This year Green two and two with the seven six ERA four games twenty one and two thirds obviously dealt with injuries twenty nine k's they won three four whip. The Arsenal obviously has that four seam fastball that sits high eighties, and you compliment that with a slider split sinker, elite velocity, high strikeout rate. Command has been inconsistent since returning from surgery. The fastball can be the homer prone pitch when it leaks into the middle of the plate avoid chasing slider below the zone.
Speaker 4: This is where he gets most of his strikeouts. Scott.
Speaker 3: That brings us to Saturday with Braxton and Andrew Abbott.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Braxton Ashcraft will face Andrew Abbott, another stop tossing lefty who we faced twice this year. I think fur of the show, Dan, say Grilly, I think he was going to put this sweet. I was like, if the Reds were smart, they they'd throw Andrew Rabbit game one. The Ghosts of Warren spawn, and he named these other couple lefties to face the Pirates this week.
Speaker 5: Get a great tweet, Dan, great tweet.
Speaker 6: But Andrew rabbits this year five and six, three eighty five ERA, one hundred and seventeen innings, ninety four k's. On April first, that second series against the Pirates in Cincinnati, five and two thirds, five hits, four earned three walks, five.
Speaker 5: K's in a Pirate win.
Speaker 6: And then on June twenty six, you guys read that game Adam where I was in Europe. Uh, he went five and a third, six innings, three earned, one walk, six k's. He gave up three home runs. The Connor Griffin, Marcelo Zuna, and as Merlin Valdez. Zuna Valdez are those guys that we expect to hit lefties right. So he has not overpowered us this year. He has in the past. Because Andrew Abbott has been a pretty solid mid rotation starter for the Reds. We'll come at with a four seam sweeper change curve cutter. The four seam has a ton of ride at the top of his zone, not overpowering, but missus bats because of its deception. The curve is the primary swinger. Mispitch disrupts timing and he's more of a pitch ability over peer stuff guy. Again, the fastball will sit ninety two to ninety four range.
Speaker 7: Sounds really familiar.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it does extremely Sunday, Hopefully we're closing this out on a positive note. You get Mitch Keller again versus right handed pitcher Chase Burns. He's faced the Buckos three times this year. Back in March, he went five innings, one hit, no earn, three walks, seven k's and a two to nothing Cincinnati win five to three at Pittsburgh seven innings, three hits, no earn, one walk, seven k's and a one to nothing Pittsburgh win. And then recently June six innings, nine hits, five earned, no walks, ten strikeouts, gave up a home run to Brandon Low in the ninety seven Cincinnati win. The arsenal again, you're getting high nineties fastball fifty seven percent of the time. And then the slider in the change is a power pitcher with elite velocity. Guys wipe out slider front of the end rotation upside, still refining that change up consistency and the command consistency can waiver. But have not really played well against Chase Burns in his short career.
Speaker 6: Mostly a two pitch guy, Yeah, mostly a two pitch guy. And this is also a guy that has struck out almost twenty five to thirty pirates this year in three starts.
Speaker 5: So you know the k's are going to be there. Just know that.
Speaker 7: In this series.
Speaker 8: You hope that because Hunter Green is going to put it together soon. For sure, you hope it's after this series because his numbers don't look too impressive, but he'll eventually kind of like Jared Jones in the sense of you've got to get a few starts under your belt. It might not look pretty, but then you kind of lock it in. Let's hope we miss that. Let's hope the Bats get going in Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Two, take advantage of great American small park.
Speaker 7: Yep, while we're there.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're going into a city who already has disgusting food. It's a wanna be Pittsburgh type of place. It's yeah, you look at it. It's like, oh, you put a stadium on a.
Speaker 4: Less impressive river.
Speaker 5: Cool one river, we got one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, dollar dollar Store Pittsburgh, if you will, Dollar Store Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Love that, love that, And you know, don't quote me on this, but the place sucks and you go there and are it's just super unimpressive. It tries to be the north Shore when it's not. We've tried to go down there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just you know, it's Ohio at its finest.
Speaker 7: Even even the Reds don't like playing there.
Speaker 8: There's six games under five hundred at home, right, so even the team doesn't like it.
Speaker 6: Have you ever heard anyone say I'm gonna go to vacation in Cincinnati. I think Cincinnati is cool.
Speaker 3: I think it's cool vacation Inincinnati, although I am going there this weekend, which again really.
Speaker 4: Not a good look.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that's business. We're business business now.
Speaker 4: Because it's a business trip, we'll be there.
Speaker 3: So if you do make the trip out there, if you're an unfortunate Pittsburgh fan living in the area just by you know, circumstance, come say hi. We're gonna try and make our way around the ballpark. Have a good time, hopefully right the ship guys like I hate to keep talking about it, but staying afloat until the trade deadline, until you figure something out, but now running out of excuses where it's like, all right, well the bullpen didn't blow it this time. Yeah, they didn't do anything, you know, egregious. They didn't blow any late game wins or you know, leads. So we just got to play better baseball. That's what it boils down to, Like, as a team, we got to play better.
Speaker 5: Baseball team there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, come on, we've been facing some some quality ofs right, but like we've also faced inferior opponents that we're playing down to the competition. Let's go to Cincinnati and show them who's the better team in the Central.
Speaker 3: It's like the Steelers, dude, it's like the Steelers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know, look, some teams are scuffling right now.
Speaker 8: We're one of them, you know a little bit. So there's there's the door has been opened. The Phillies have have come back to the pack. There might be two wild card spots here. Somebody's got to get their act together. And you know, the Pirates, if they just got their act together a little bit here, there's some real opportunity.
Speaker 7: But they got to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the season can't depend on myself and Scott creating bits to keep this thing going, like ideas, right, like the Wolf game hits they're two no during the Wolf game. There's only so many different games we can create. Yeah, to keep this thing interesting. At the end of the day, you got to go out there and play really good baseball at this time of the year. And hey, we're still playing meaningful baseball and we're still talking about it, right, So that's good. While you're at it and you're watching baseball and you're trying to maybe immerse yourself into the sport a little bit more, and you go to sports card Junction you buy some baseball cards, I know, tops chrome.
Speaker 4: Just dropped and people are pretty excited about that.
Speaker 3: So the Pall Schemes Manion super Fractor card just got pulled. And I don't know what that's worth at all, but based on the reaction, it looked pretty cool and it's probably gonna sell for a lot of money to somebody that has that money. And maybe you want to get your chance at pulling a really cool card just like that. Well you could buy that at sports Card Junction Baseball, football, hockey, soccer, basketball, Pokemon, whatever your heart desire. Sports Card Junction has you covered ninety eleven Perry Highway, or you can go to sportscard Junction dot com. I think there are nationals right now over in Illinois. The biggest card convention I think in the world is happening this weekend, and sports Card Junction is represented there. But you could still go to the shop, or you can go again to sportscard Junction dot com. Or if you're more of a memorabilia person and you want a nice Paul Skins autograph, a Billy Cook signed comb, I don't know, maybe they have it, you can go to Total Sports Enterprises or TSE shop dot com.
Speaker 4: Boys any closing.
Speaker 3: Remarks to get out of here, because, you know, tough week of baseball, tough homestand going back to PNC Park. Although I was happy to be home, I'm almost glad to get on the road and try and just reset.
Speaker 6: Jim you first, do you have anything, I would just say, what'll we maybe six.
Speaker 7: Days out from the trade deadline right now? Yeah.
Speaker 8: I will go back to what Scott said earlier, which is I fully expect.
Speaker 7: Them to be pretty involved here.
Speaker 8: I don't know what direction that's gonna go as far as you know offense.
Speaker 7: Pitching is certainly going to be on them on the menu.
Speaker 8: But I do think you're going to see them make more than one or two moves.
Speaker 7: I really do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would bet on that for sure. And this is a big week, guys, It's a very big week. I know there's been some disappointing games here in this homestand it's didn't go the way we wanted. But like there's a there's still too much of the season left. I know we keep preaching that every game that you go by and you don't improve this team, you're you're you're you know, you're costing yourself, right, But there's still two months of the season left, and this team can go on a run. And I think they've been do to go on a run all season, right, So just keep that in mind. This season, they're they're still playing meaningful baseball by every meet, every definition of the word. This is going to be an exciting next couple of weeks of baseball here for the Pirates. So stay tuned and we're gonna have a lot coming your way.
Speaker 3: Scott, real quick, it's your birthday on August third, which is the trade deadline. Do you have any birthday wishes that you have to make come true?
Speaker 5: Yes, I do.
Speaker 6: I've been looking at all the trade options and I think my favorite one, if they can make it work, is getting Luke Weaver and Aj Minterer from the Mets. I think that would be a bang for your buck. A lefty and alrighty that have been really good this year. Aj Mincher is a guy that we talked about in the off season, is a potential free agent option for this pen.
Speaker 5: Those are my two top wish list guys.
Speaker 6: I mean, I love Mason Miller, but I realized that's like the the you know, David and Goliath situation. Here, where's he's the top dog and it's going to take everything to get him. I'd rather get more than one arm.
Speaker 5: To fix this bit bullpen and feel comfortable going forward.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 7: So it's basically Pirates. Good for the birthday boy, if nothing else.
Speaker 4: Look at everything that Scott's done for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's my thirty second Bertha. You don't think that is it's big, big, more than thirty one.
Speaker 6: It's it's one year older than thirty one.
Speaker 5: The fact that I made it this long is is a it's impressible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, from the things that I've seen you do, it's it's crazy that you're here today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm proud of your buddy.
Speaker 3: Well, hey, we will be in Cincinnati covering you with all of your Pirates baseball needs. Make sure you go check out all the social media content on Instagram, X geez o, man TikTok. You lose Sky Sky We're everywhere space dude.
Speaker 4: We got to my Saga pans.
Speaker 3: It's only feet there, so don't get your ideas, you know, crazy, just feet. It's pretty pricey too, so well, speaking about paying a little bit extra, for a little bit more, you can go to the Patreon and only.
Speaker 4: For three dollars a month.
Speaker 3: You can get the breakdowns, h swing adjustments, pitching adjustments. We're even continuing some twenty twenty seven banterboard draft prospects. Jay and Scott will have you covered there. So really pumped to keep all that going. Subscribe likely have a common Tell a friend, to tell a friend, and then until next time, raise it, raise it, hoist it.
Speaker 2: Best seats at the pirates? Can he let me run the base?
Speaker 1: Yeah? My tame is like my money because I can't.
Speaker 2: Afford to waste. Oh, why see is a lloyer take my date to my dates? Or the stick by the plate?
Speaker 1: Synick