Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome this season two eighty seven to eighty seven. I said you got it the fuck I mean to eighty seven, not to eighty step in Wolf, Episode five of The Daily Sit Guys. It's a production of iHeartRadio. It still is that, okay, and it's still a fucking podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. And you're hearing my voice, so you know what time it is? The substitute teachers in the fucking building, and he is high as shit. He just got out of his Mitsubishi and the smoke clouds are billowing out. It's Friday, May nineteenth. It's Friday. I'm fucking Friday's fuck yeah, May nineteenth. And guess what. It's NASCAR Day. Didn't know that that was a thing. It's National Pizza Party Day, It's national It's Malcolm X Day. It's National Devil's Food Cake Day. It's National Defense Transfer that National Dangered Species Day, National Bike to Workday, and many other things. It's a fantastic day, but really.
Speaker 2: It's Friday.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My name is Miles Gray. I'm your lovely host. AKA, I'm sorry, Miss Feinstein. I am for real should didn't have to work until you die. It's time to give term limits a try. Okay, shout out to at right to post, doing good right now, at right to post with these akas, I'm feeling them with the hip hop bend that only an elder millennial like me we'll appreciate. But yes, thank you for that one. Obviously. That was to the tune of Miss Jackson my outcast fantastic album and I'm thrilled to be joined my co host today, my guest co host today. Look, this brother's from Chicago. You know what I mean. He's a great musician, he's got great taste. He's got a brand new tattoo that is fantastic and it's not even finished yet. And you know, I don't and I know this is a podcast that doesn't help to talk about tattoos, but I will. And look, DJ Producer, I don't know what else to say. All around, fantastic human. Please welcome to the microphone.
Speaker 2: Justin Connor.
Speaker 3: Man, it's your boy, Justin Connor, stay out of Chicago, the perpetual shy guy on a twelve year siesta in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: There you go. Yeah, the artist arms like we were talking yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got the artist arms, the little noodle arm. You know, you know you're trying to decorate them up with some art right here. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's my arm is a little raw right now. But man, amazing fantastic artists. I linked up with Danny Cansino. I'm gonna drop more for information at the end of the show and plug her because man, I couldn't be happier.
Speaker 4: And I only have like twenty percent of the test.
Speaker 1: I love that twenty percent, like and I recommend it. Yeah, And then later you're like, man, it was a l man. No, so fucked up. But anyway, you're doing good.
Speaker 4: Justin Yeah, I'm doing great, man, fantastic you know.
Speaker 1: Shoe game looking strong as ever in the background.
Speaker 4: You know, hey, man, this is what are those dollars worth of mistake?
Speaker 5: What are those?
Speaker 1: What are those? Are those threes down low?
Speaker 5: What are those?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Which those are the Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Those are good from a sneaker heads out there, we love those, We love those. But first we got to introduce our guests today. We've got fantastic writers.
Speaker 6: Comedians, performers, scientific explorers if you will. They got a show on HBO, Max that it's pretty in line with all of my interests because it's called high science, and I like science, but I also love high.
Speaker 1: I love high, you know. I think people know that on this show. I love high. I love to get high, you know. So it's one of the greatest things ever, and combining that with science makes it a fantastic show which is very accessible for people like me who have an add addle brain. Please welcome to the microphone slash stage, mister Matt Kleiman and Zach Hello, good to see, nice to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having us, guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I gotta say the show is fucking great man. I love Like I said, I like science, but I like high. And you have a show where Paul Bettony voices a like a sentient bong that helps teach you about complex scientific concepts. That's pretty much everything I need in my life. And I'm like, I got to say, like I was telling you, guys off, Mike, I fuck with anything Paul Bettany does, mostly because he's an Arsenal fan like me. That's really I have no really no idea about his artistic acumen, but just because we fuck with the same team, I love him. But Yeah, welcome to the show. Like, how how are how are things with the both of you? Oh?
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, Thank you so much for digging the show. Yeah, I mean we made it for yeah, for people like you, people who just wanted to like get high and like put something on. Like the The ideal person watching the show is like you come back home from a party or something, but you want to like you're gonna like eat you got like like Jack in the Box tacos on the way home or something, and you want to smoke a little bit more and put something on while you eat them. Yeah, that is what we made the show for that exactly.
Speaker 3: That's the best thing that I can recommend for anyone is something that has a low level of entry, but then you get fascinated with That is all I needed was one sentence to jump in headfirst.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, look, this easy sentient teaches people lessons about science.
Speaker 2: What that's that means? Our spirit guide, you know, he guides us through our Yeah, so we get we get high on what we're gonna learn that day. So it's like we get high on Neanderthals, we get high on trees. And then the rest of the episode is our hallucinogenic journey learning about these topics from you know, scientists who are at the top of their game out there were also you know, hallucinating interviews with them, and the whole way Doctor O Paul Benny Is is guiding us with his robot bong geniusness.
Speaker 1: And what's you know, how like, are y'all actual soners or just really clever creators? I got it?
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: Part of me is like they don't seem high during this you had the skeptical look in your eye.
Speaker 4: Miles.
Speaker 2: You gotta we have to do super sober for the shooting of it because we were like we had to shoot the whole thing in like two days, and it was like teleprompters and pressure and the whole season.
Speaker 1: And two days.
Speaker 5: Yes, you guys would not like this show is like the lowest budget, like scrappy thing, Like it's a miracle that it got made. The whole thing is like hand crafted and we like tried to make it, you know, and it's amazing. It's on HBO Max, but like truly, Yeah, we shot the whole thing in two days on friend.
Speaker 2: Of the whole high part and then we had one half day in the lab, which is where it bookends the whole experience, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well this sounds like I my little high self in the mid two thousands watching Adult Swim when it was in its heyday. Like it really feels like you captured the heart of like my what I wanted at that time.
Speaker 1: Amazing. If you with Adult Swim, if you fuck with aquatine, if you fuck with science like all that, it's it's all like, it's all very rhetorically related. That's why, Yeah, I really dig that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cause it seems like the same people who love Adult Swim shit also like to put on Planet Earth. You know what I'm saying. I feel like those things are definitely like those people are curious about ship in different ways, but also aligne.
Speaker 1: I brought up Planet Earth, yes and yesterday's episode. That's how much Planet Earth. It just rings through my skull because when that DVD set came out.
Speaker 5: In the globe, in the globe, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, high shit. And again I'll keep saying it, my favorite episode Caves because that intro guy jumps into.
Speaker 4: The pit and just disappears into darkness, and.
Speaker 1: I'll have to say it every time. I just want to feel that. I don't know why I want to jump into a void and Vanish I don't know if that's dangerous or says something about like my you know, outlook on the earth, But hey, that's my fantasy at the moment.
Speaker 2: I would love to be in a cave and then all of a sudden watch it come to life with like bioluminescence and all these like little creatures who never see the light of day, but they can go in the darken. For some reason, I can see them very clearly and easily.
Speaker 1: I would. Well, Matt Zach, we're going to get to know you a little bit better. But first let's let's clue people into what we're going to talk about. Some serious shit. First, the debt ceiling shit show continues. There is this fucking stupid ass pantomime. But me and the Democrats and Republicans are like, oh man, it's gonna fuck up the economy, but we're gonna do a deal. It's gonna be catastrophic, don't worry, We're not gonna default. But if we do, oh shit, it's like it's exhausting and really all it is is like it's all just a fucking performative Act just to cut social spending, because this is what happens every single fucking time. So we'll touch in on that because it is it is. It is talked about a lot in the news, but not in this way that needs to cast a little more, you know, cynicism on the process. And since we're with some creators, some people who have made some shows, I think it's good to talk about just sort of what the writer lists sort of slates look like for people's entertainment coming up, because with the writer's strike, guess what, y'all not getting anything new? So what are the networks doing? They're scraping the bottom of the fucking barrel. And we'll talk about some of those shows as well as like Jimmy Fallon, like flexing, he was stunting on people about the new Zelda game. We'll talk about that too because it all fits in with the strike. And then we'll rap out because the new Fast and Furious movie is coming out. We gotta ask, is this going to cause more people to drive like they are out their fucking minds? Are more domb Touretto Wanna Be is gonna hit the road because apparently there's some some statistics that seem to suggest that this movie is inspiring some idiotic behavior behind the wheel. But hey, we'll talk about that and plenty more. But first, who do we start with, Matt or Zach? I'm gonna ask you, what's something from your search history that reveals a little bit about who you are or what you're into?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Zach, you go, man, you got that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I've kind of taken over both of our search histories because last my search history is all poison IVY treatment based searches. A week and a half ago, I was shooting a short film in Cape Cod and it was we were doing a nighttime shot and I needed to I'm not gonna say exactly what the whole film is about, but I needed to get a giant spoon that was like Technicolor lighting up to lift off this mound at this Cranberry bog in Cape Cod. And so I was laying on this mound and it was nighttime, and I was actually just scared of ticks, right, I was like tons of ticks around here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I laid down a jack and I was like, this is all good. And then, as you know, I was down there for like an hour and a half trying to get this shot to work, and I'm just laying on the ground. I'm like, you know what to keep checking. I'm not seeing any ticks. This is awesome, man, I've avoided all the ticks. And then two days later, I start to get these little bumps on my arms and I'm like, wait, what is going on? And then I was like, did I get a mosquito bite? And then I realized that that mound that I was laying and I had realized this before, like a month ago. I had tracked it in my brain. I was like, don't don't forget that mound is covered in poison ivy. And I realized, oh no, I've covered my arms and my neck and in poison ivy. And over the plane ride back to the West Coast, I just started to like scratch more and like I started to feel it. And then over the next the course of the week, I just like, I just got a rash and there's all over my body and it's been an insane experience, but I'm finally getting better. And I sent photos to Matt to tell him about it, and he reacted with horror, and he also started looking at poison ivy.
Speaker 5: Well, here's here's what I didn't know. I assume like, oh, poison ivy, like that'll wreck your day or a couple of days. Poyson ivy last two to three weeks?
Speaker 1: Oh fuck?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: Yea?
Speaker 1: It is there a difference between poison ivy and poison oak, Like is one better?
Speaker 2: They released the same euriscitol. They're eurrishital I can't remember his pronounce, but they're fine high science. Someone's gonna have the same oil that is released by all these different prices and it does the same thing and and that, and interacting with that can be a two to three week fuck fest basically for your skins. It also it like it makes it so that you can when you just brush against it, you spread the oil arms around your skin. It gets all So I ended up getting it like all replaces that weren't even exposed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm from Illinois. Like we moved to this little town. After a while, there was just it was covered with poison ivy. When you wanted to go camping or fishing, which is new to me. I was like, okay, yeah, I love the outdoors now. I used to be surrounded by concrete and pavement and whatnot, And no one told me about poison oak poison ivy. They literally, weirdly enough, they told me to watch out for lime disease and ticks, like that was the biggest thing.
Speaker 4: Horse flies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I we were just kids. We were rolling up and down a hill like for hours and hours and hours. Same exact thing happened to me. But I got it all in like my inner thigh and I could not resist scratching and I spread that shit everywhere it was. It was painful. Yeah, it was like one of the most painful experiences I've ever went through. And shortly before that, I had a fishing hook go through my finger and come out the other side. I would say poison ivy was slightly because it lasted so long. But I went back to fishing that afternoon after the fish hook thing. The poison ivy took me out. I didn't go outside for like a month.
Speaker 1: I know that I was hearing the other day. I was like, hey, man, there's this hill, new hill. I want to roll down. Man to come check it out with me. You're like no. Never.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, Ship, you feel like a child. Yeah, you gotta scope out the hills. Before you roll down them. Yeah, that's fucked up, man. Yeah, please be careful out there with the poison ivs and oaks. And then Matt, you were saying you were also searching because you just in solid air.
Speaker 5: Do you're like, I got yeah, well, I just wanted to know how long my friend was gonna be.
Speaker 2: I literally was stopped. I would be like talking to man, be like, dude, I gotta go, I gotta take a cold shower or something. Man Like.
Speaker 5: I was like so amped up and I was talking to I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: But I just couldn't stand still picturing picturing you on a flight as you're like realizing it's getting worse. I feel like I feel bad for the other passengers too, who might be like, is this guy? Yeah, it was definitely like it just keep it cool, just keep it yeah, Like because you're probably like, don't start scratching, You're just.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, yeah, obligatory. Sorry this is on a podcast, but this is the photos extent.
Speaker 4: Oh no that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: Listeners just imagine like blonde red sploshes all over the man.
Speaker 1: That looks so bad. I would wish that on Mitch McConnell. What's something I think is overrated? Oh, okay, I got this one.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know. Maybe your audience is like cinophiles and I'm fucking myself and everyone's gonna but I find, you know, like cit and Sound, pole top movie. I finally watched In the Mood for Love. Are you guys familiar with this movie? In the Mood for Love? It's considered one of the greatest films of all time, Like it topped the like cit and Sound like a tour you know List twenty twelve. I think like it's always in the mix, like Letterbox people are always talking about In the Mood for Love is like, actually, this is the greatest film.
Speaker 1: Oh this is the Wan Car Why Car Why?
Speaker 5: Yeah, one Car Why in Hong Kong, And this movie is horribly overrated. It's like the thing is, it is beautiful and there's like the hallway thing with the music, like if you've seen it or know it, like that is great, But the whole movie is just about two people who should fuck and then they don't fuck, and that's the whole thing. And you're just like, oh, these guys should fuck. You're like this is overly romanticized. It's crazy. It's like these two people whose partners cheat on them with each other and then they fall in love and then it's like, okay, yeah, so you guys can do it too, you should fuck but they don't.
Speaker 3: Man, And it's so interesting. You bring this up, Matt, because I live with my sister. She's you know, the audience is familiar with her joelmo Nique, amazing film critic, so it's kind of hard to have an argument with her about this stuff. So generally I come from a place of curiosity. I'm like, why is this or why does this happen? She was watching some melo dramatic thing the other day and I had the same thing. I was like, this was an eight minute conversation about whether they love each other or not. And I'm like, already four steps ahead. I'm like, just get to it, you know what I mean. And she was like yeah, and she was like, you're missing the point of melo drama. It's like almost kissing is like the hottest thing, you know, not like not quite getting there. And I was like, all right, you know, I it's not for me, but like I'm I'm trying to appreciate the the art form a little.
Speaker 1: Blow the slow burn. Yeah, yeah, of will they want but then you got to get to the burn.
Speaker 5: You gotta get thee yeah yeah, yeah, come on. And it's just like why didn't they Why why didn't you fuck? Like you could have fucked. They could have fucked a bunch of times, and then they don't And it's not really like it just doesn't. I didn't believe the reason why they didn't fuck, because people fuck. That's the thing. The thing I know about people is that when they want to fuck, they fuck.
Speaker 2: It's okay to spoils for me, what what was the reason for not fucking?
Speaker 5: There's no reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I get it because like for those people, it's like it's like emotional edging, yes exactly, And you're like, oh, some of us are Neanderthals, you know for pro magnet man, where we're like just through the bang or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Though they never actually kissed, they would withhold. They were really good at. Yeah is their thing.
Speaker 1: They invented edging Patrick yea, Yeah, they invented edging as the first form of birth control.
Speaker 5: People don't know that.
Speaker 2: People really they died off. They didn't approach because they just thought they were just so big on edging.
Speaker 4: It was makes sense, that's science.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. That's what I'm saying. All right, Well cool, I like to I'm glad to know, like sometimes like there are those there are those films, and I like, I like movies, but not to the point where like I can connect with sort of those kinds of films. And that's just me as a consumer. I'm I'm more of a mouth a gape airplane guy whom you view ship like that. Sometimes, Yeah, nous movies.
Speaker 5: I loved bo Is Afraid for example, that just came out, was divisive, incredible film, Like I like that kind of thing. This one didn't. My wife was asleep like halfway in, and I was like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought there was a time too, like in like the early aughts where like all my friends who are like, you know, big cinephiles, like like One Car Why was just like just beyond repro Like there's like they're like, don't funk, no, manfucker's a gene dud dude.
Speaker 5: Reproach and proach o.
Speaker 1: Everything is good. Yeah, I mean, you know, twenty forty six, I fucked with that, you know, I wasn't. I wasn't mad.
Speaker 5: Was that good?
Speaker 1: I mean, I remember at the time. I think I may have just said it because I was dating somebody who was like, you need to see this film, and I'm like, yeah, yeah, yeah, fuck with that. I have a bad habit of like being like, yeah, what do you like? Okay, I'll try that out. Even though I don't shout out Harry Potter films could only get through one. Okay, Now, what is something I'll think is underrated?
Speaker 5: Zach, you got a good one.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've just got ivy on the brain and I just want to say cold showers. I've also been a huge fan of cold showers. Recently, it's been growing. I think cold showers are absolutely incredible, wake you up more, and they kind of like, I think they make you a better person. I think the longer that you can say I do, I truly do. I.
Speaker 5: Georgia, you're just saying that people who don't take cold showers are bad people.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, say you I'm saying I'm not saying you're all lower. I'm saying we're all optim to this, and we can we can optimize ourselves in did you start? You start with a hot and then you just slowly towards the end of your shower just start making colder and colder and colder, and then you get it to it's really cold, and you just would stand that for a couple of minutes just that way. So you do that, You'll like, you'll feel what way better getting out of the shower. You do it like you do a reverse frog boil, basically I do. Yeah, that's actually exactly converse frog boil, and then I get it super cold, and then by the end, like not only do I feel better, but you know, my thought, my mirror is less foggy, Like I can already see myself a little easier, you know, like everything just kind of goes a little smoother when you do that.
Speaker 1: I mean, this isn't experience shared by many people. If you had a fucked up water heater where that ship might just actually happen during the shower, you're like, oh shit, it's gone.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's how it started for me where I was missing that. Yeah, I've had Brooklyn apartments that had some really shitty water situations, and it was like, yeah, you know, I'm going cold showers because I had to be. But now it's like, yeah, you know what, Yeah, I love it. I love that. Okay, cool cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I I as much as I've tried it before, because I remember I've heard the same thing from like biohacker type people that I had interviewed in the past. I just can't. I fucking hate Like when my gas reflex kicks in, it's over. I'm like, yeah, just you got to just get past that gap. You get past and then you're and then you're in a whole new world.
Speaker 3: I'm a heat. I'm a heat in this bro. I love being comfortable at all. And so when like I literally I have a little space heater right here, like next to this shower, I'll get out of the shower and like turn that space heater on and just stand in front of oh, like while I'm toweling myself off, Like yeah, it's incredibly wasteful.
Speaker 1: I've got You don't got the towel heater either, Uh no.
Speaker 3: I don't have a to I really what you changed the game mentioning the terry cloth. I haven't gotten one of those yet. Oh yeah, macking it's because I got that's the next step.
Speaker 1: Because when again, like, if you don't like being cold, just the fucking robe is a whole body towel, so you don't have to feel all that water evaporating on your skin and cool off.
Speaker 3: I'm already making the DIY version. I put like four towels around me, Like, yeah, it's not it's.
Speaker 2: Not an economical What is the robe if not three and a half to four towers right exactly without the stitching.
Speaker 4: It's out the sewing machine, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Matt Kleinman, what about you? You got anything you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know so. I'm a big I really like spicy foods and hot sauces, and I've been talking to people and like, even people who aren't into that sort of stuff. I do you feel like people don't know enough about crystal hot sauce? Whoas? Yes, you're talking about white people, man, Yeah, that's that's all the rage.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I didn't. I didn't mean to come at you like that. No, great to hear.
Speaker 5: I'm really glad to hear that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: But I would say, even in comparison to Louisiana and like Texas, Pete is crystal held above them.
Speaker 1: I don't like Texas peats. I have more experience.
Speaker 3: I have more experience in like the Georgia area, Georgia, Alabama area, and like crystals is huge.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, no, no, I feel like the chain you mean Crystal hot Sauce. Yeah, Crystal, Oh I thought you mean crystals that there, because there's also the franchise. Yes, the chain, yes, yes, exactly.
Speaker 5: Also crystals the rock are great. I love rocks hung general. Yeah, of course we love crystals. We're all about crystals. But I feel like people don't know, like you know, I don't know, it's it's I think it's a good gateway hot sauce. Is kind of the thing that I've been like telling people who are like getting into hot sauces or want to or are like afraid of them. And like I think Chilula had been the gateway hot sauce for a lot of people for a while because a lot of people thought Tabasco is too spicy. But I actually think Crystal is a better gateway hot sauce for people. And I think and a lot of this is also just because like if you know, going over to some house, are going and they just have nothing, It's like if at least you have crystal, then we're like, okay, it works with almost anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have everything, they have every grocery store. But I think most people are like, I want Tabasco, and now tabaskets in like nine thousand flavors.
Speaker 5: I'm like, come on, Mountain, Yes, totally. The basket is great, and I like Tabasco, but I think I don't know. I want it to be more. It should be more like the South everywhere. I guess, yeah, that's what I'm saying. What about sir Racha is that is that falling off?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Si Racha had its heyday like in the like the tens, the teens. I remember shout out my boy Randy wrote a fucking cookbook.
Speaker 2: I think we all over used it. I think ye think you're Ryan. It's just I think we just it was just everywhere, blew it out every meal, and then like we all just got used to a siracha taste for all of our cheap meals that we were eating, and then it was like, I can't do I still use it just in the context, right, like I love to make hot I love grilling, I love I love making wings especially.
Speaker 3: I use it everyday conversation. Shout out to Chicago Bulls fans. If you're a fan of Stacy King, give me the hot sauce to Racha, that's his catchphrase. But yeah, other other than that, yeah, I think it really really, really really fell off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I will say I prefer their garlic paste, the garlic about the one with like the green like the little the jar squatty bottle with the green tom The garlic paste one, I think is a little bit better flavor wise, and it's less sweet. It's a little bit more like everything you like and not maybe what you don't.
Speaker 1: This is my easy hack for wings. You take a fucking you know, buy your buy your party wings or whatever, whole wings, but however you like to get down and marinade them. You know, just what I do is put them in a ziplock bag, empty a whole bottle of crystal in it, and you let that go. You let that sip for a few hours. It like it's not gonna get too spicy, but it gives it such a great flavor. It's like my very easy way to have like good wings that aren't too sort of intensive in terms of the preparation.
Speaker 5: So well, I think the hack for doing like Nashville Chicken. You know that sort of thing, is marinating the chicken in hot sauce before you brett.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my bed. Yeah, and that like fucking oil chili concoction that they'll pour over after you're like, yeah, more of that, more of that. All right, We're gonna take a quick break and do some light hot sauce tastings and then we'll be right back to talk about the dead scene right after. And we're back and just to talk about some serious business really quick. The debt ceiling shit shari how Australians would call it. It continues right now. In the news, we keep hearing about the looming debt ceialing crisis, that America could default on its debt and worsen our image to the rest of the world, especially our trading partners, because they're like, oh, y'all, don't pay your fucking bills. This would be terrible for the US economy. And the Republicans know that the super whack jobs in the GOP are practically salivating for a manufactured financial crisis to better the party's overall chances in twenty twenty four, just so they can move on from we don't believe in human rights or abortion access and just start saying things like Joe Brandon killed the economy. That's why you should vote for me a nazi. And Biden and the Democrats have said that the default will be a disaster. Same thing for the GOP defaulting would be terrible. But then Joe Brandon, McCarthy, Mitch McConnell, they are also saying some form of Oh, we're definitely not gonna default. There's no way we're gonna default on the dead. No, we're gonna figure it out. We're gonna make a deal. We're gonna make a deal. Even though sometimes you hear before Joe Brandon was a little more confident in his lack of interest in negotiating, basically saying, why would I negotiate? This is something, this is like the basic function of government. We're not gonna use this as leverage to start gut gutting social social programs. Well, it looks like we may be there. And this is all very fucking confusing because you're like, are y' all gonna make a deal or not, but you're saying you won't, you say you will, and it's gonna be a crisis. It's like they're both in on a scheme to make the population sweat over this crisis that may not be one. But the reality is here is it looks like the President is going to negotiate with the GOP, and that is bad since the GOP's main requests here are making huge cuts to things like, you know, like Medicare and food stamps, which it seems like Joe Byron is a little more open to, like having more strict work requirements for food stamps, which is terrible and fucked up, while also the other part of the GOP's requests are they want to completely fuck the environment over too. They want to cut the tax incentives for clean energy that came from the Inflation Reduction Act and replace it with basically fossil fuel hand jobs for all. So it's like a terrible backward step and you're like, these are the things you're gonna like what the what the fuck is this? Like this isn't even a negotiation, but we see this script all the time that like replays over and over throughout every administration. Like Republicans are like, we want to go back to the eighteen hundreds, and the Democrats like there's no way. We do not negotiate with this kind of shit. This is not this is this is beyond the pale. Then the GOP says, then we will default. We don't give a fuck, watch us, watch us not give a fuck. We'll completely fuck this whole thing up. Then the Democrats come to the table and cut spending and there's more austerity measures that are just regressive. Then both parties walk out, like they say, of the fucking day, and life moves on. But it's it's it's it's a bit of a we'll see where they end up. Because while there are negotiators now speaking with McCarthy's deputy, they're like on both parties, whether it's like the Freedom House, Freedom Caucus, who's like they better gut fucking everything, or we're not voting for this, and McCarthy's like, fuck, I don't. I don't know if we can get all that. In the meantime, there are many Democrats who are like, do not fuck with these social programs, like working people need these fucking programs, and to do this in service of like handouts to the fossil fuel industry is it a bridge too far? And you know, like they're like, I'm not gonna support that, so I don't care what you negotiate, President Biden, it's not happening. So a bit of a topsy turvy moment.
Speaker 2: But it's just so frustrating because this is not a thing. Then it became a thing like this debt ceiling thing was just always like a bipartisan just like, yeah, we just gotta keep it going because we just gotta that's not even something to worry about. And then and then in twenty eleven, it just became like, oh, we can just kind of hold this as some sort of hostage sort of situation where we can, you know, just demand that someone work with us unless this thing that we all have always agreed upon, like we you know, we keep it from from happening, from passing. And it's just like it's just so annoying because we all know, like it's just like you just this doesn't need to be a thing. Just keep it going. You're like, and uh, and yeah, the fact that they're arguing, like we need to negotiate, we need to do all this stuff, it's like, no, we know that you could just keep this separate and then just keep working on all of your other stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean again, they're the they're they're the party of just bad faith everything. So you know, they're basically you know, you're dealing with just absolute ghouls. We're like, we don't get fucked like like we've we've invited these people to the party.
Speaker 3: There's also something to be said to like, once once you're in like a certain class, like your job has a certain level of prestige and a certain salary to it, there's this level of self importance that comes with it. And especially when it comes to politicians, they know they're not going to be affected by anything that goes sideways, like and so it's doubly fucked up for them to like dangle this little thing like you know how dangerous this can be for y'all right, I mean, I'm doing my best here, but I don't know.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: That really raises the anxiety amongst like people everyday people, every single day, and it's like they cannot it doesn't matter to them, It will never matter to them. And that's what's I think where a lot of the apathy comes from is because you see another human being so dismissive of like most of the country, and your heart kind of just wants to believe that people couldn't do that, and they do it every time. Like you said, this has become a pattern when it didn't used to be. And it seems like there's no break system on this, Like it's only going to get more manipulative and more insidious. And I'm wondering where we go from here, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there is you know, like there are things that the president could do that are kind of you know, revolutionary, like or not revolute, but like, you know, different, like you know, evoking the fourteenth Amendment to sort of be like, no, I am going to make sure like all of this ship's paid. There's been talk of like printing more money, when I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, what's meaning the coin?
Speaker 1: We don't need to do that.
Speaker 2: And so whenever they start getting into making more money and coins, I'm always like, I feel like that's not gonna be.
Speaker 5: What wouldn't you want to hold the trillion dollar coin?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Pic?
Speaker 1: You want to have trill coin?
Speaker 3: But also does Biden seem like the kind of person who's gonna do something different? Like no, I'm like, so what like with anything?
Speaker 1: Ever, He's presided over this exact scenario many times. Himself already, you know, and been on this, on it, on the side of it as a senator, as a vice president, and now as president. There's not they know because again like at the end of the day, they're like, yeah, man, I mean like I was just increasing food stamps as like a campaign platform thing. We can dial that ship back, but like here when we do that, like nobody's gonna know because sadly, to your point, justin the people who depend on it sometimes like the apathy rings through to the point that they are like, you're not even aware of the ship that's going on, because it's like, who gives a fuck man, all they need to do is fuck us over anyway. Why don't need to be engaged with this shit? So it's you know, mix makes me even more cynical when I look at it, because the double speakers just like absurd, like it's it's it's happening or it's not. You're negotiating or you're not. But you guys are just saying this out loud while like winking to each other like you no, we'll make it work. We'll make it work. It just helps, it just helps both of our collective audiences seem like, you know, we're doing the fight, rolling our sleeves up and ship. All right, well, let's let's move on to some people who aren't able to roll up their sleeves because they're on strike.
Speaker 2: The writers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the w GA is on strike. You know, obviously, fuck these man Fuck these streamers, especially man like who want to fuck around. I mean, obviously, look y'all shows on streaming now work. I'm gonna come not to catch this persons on your play, but you know what, you know what to do with these royalties. Man, stop acting brand new about this ship because people are watching it. And again, this is a very very interesting moment, I think, especially as it relates to AI and things like that. While I see like I've been seeing like counter opinion pieces written about they're like the writers are being completely overblown with their fear of AI, and it's like, really, now, I don't think so. I think it's very much a thing and and potentially like one of the first groups of workers who are like, we should be able to decide when you like, deploy this technology that could completely fuck up our industry and our ability to support ourselves because you just loaded a prompted a chat GPT and now you've got a whole franchise about talking Mason Jars or some shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean that was so like so, I mean, so Zach and I are both WJA, we're both on strike right now. Yeah, but like stoked to be doing this, to finally be standing up to these things. But the AI thing, like literally that was put in if you track kind of the new it's because like AI was kind of in the news when the negotiation started, and enough people were kind of talking about it, and so I think they threw it in, not quite as a lark, but as just to like, hey, okay, we'll address the AI thing. We'll put it in our pattern of demands that like no AI, but this is like an easy gimme for the producers to just be like, of course, yeah, guys. I think what freaked everyone out was that they did not immediately be like of course. They instead were like, whoa, whoa, let's.
Speaker 1: Let's revisit it. Let's put a pin in and just see how bad AI fox things up, and then we offer.
Speaker 5: Yearly meet it. It was like, so I think that then got everybody like whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. Yeah, Well, hold on a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people had also started to see in their contracts little things like that the AI that their whatever uber corporation above them is working on like has like can review their material. So it's almost like it's also also quick permission that are you that our AI can read your script or whatever and kind of learn your voice a little bit just for you know, its own intensive learning purposes, not for anything, you know, not for anything negative towards you or anything like that. And it's like, wait a second, who WHOA WHOA? Like now now AI is studying our different our creative process, our voice and like the things that we're making and learning that like it's I mean, the thing is A is going to affect every single job that there is in a in a way like where there's like this is going to be like the Internet and how it changes things. Absolutely we can't even comprehend how it's going to affect all of our jobs, all of the things that we interact with in technology, and so I think it's incredibly important for creative people, like creative places to also try to get ahead of it in whatever way they can so that doesn't screw us down the line. And it's too late to have any sort of like chat about it, even though we don't really know exactly what it means right now.
Speaker 3: Right it's a while, Like you not being able to control your own voice and artistic integrity is something that is like, you know, that's a spirit killer. Like there is someone I really admire and appreciate who works for a company that on the low, that guy's company took a lot of his voice and a lot of his mannerisms and like ran it through AI software and tried to see if they could like replace him in something without his knowledge, right, And he was like and then he was able to make a video about it under the company's like Moniker Like he's like still releasing videos, but he's like, hey, my company tried to do this. I'm just I'm just saying, you know. And it's and this was, you know, a YouTube internet thing. So there's no WGA or anything involved in this, but it's affecting everyone.
Speaker 4: Down the line.
Speaker 3: It's only a matter of time if you're especially in a creative industry. It's it's scary, it's scary.
Speaker 5: It's also it's just like a level of respect like for people that you work with, Like I think that's the other thing that it's like we've already we already get like a lot of disrespect from like produced, you know, from like from these companies or whatever, like not respecting what we do, not really knowing what we do, but being like you know, thinking they can just kind of push it around, thinking they can kind of dictate and know better than us how many people should be in a room.
Speaker 1: I can't three people write an entire season of a show in two weeks, right, no, exactly, and.
Speaker 2: Then we'll greenlight it. Okay, we just got to see the whole show first, you gotta understand, and then we'll give it a green light.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just not it's so it's a level of respect. And then so the a I think it's in a way it's like to even ask is like disrespectful, like you know, to even and then let alone to like do those kinds, you know, to really try to replicate one of your colleagues, someone that you're working with, somebody who's the whole point. We make the things that these companies put out, like we are the product. We make the products for them, and so like it's our companies too. In those you know, it's our products in.
Speaker 1: Those creative labor that enables them to have these obscene payouts and all this other crap so they can go yacht it up wherever the fuck they are right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the guy I mentioned didn't even seem to be shit talking his company, Like I said, the company let him release the video like on their channel, and it seemed like it was more.
Speaker 4: Of like a oh, we did this, my bad, like we didn't know you would care.
Speaker 3: And that's also very scary, like like why wouldn't you consider me in this? Like why wouldn't you think I would care? You know, it's it's wild.
Speaker 1: Well, we're beginning to see what happens when the workers go on strike because their labor is being exploited over and over again by group of fucking creeps that you know, they're like, look, you know, we know our pattern is to cut costs at any measure, and you know, AI seems like a great way to do that. Anyway. We're looking at some of the upfronts, some of the slates that some of the networks, you know, they like to present to advertisers. Here are the things that you could advertise on coming up this fall like get to get you excited, to get your ad dollars, which again that's you know, the bread and butter of the ad based broadcast television industry. So we're seeing things like what they're doing now that there are no writers contributing to make new material. Fox they didn't release their full schedule, but they announced their slate, which features mostly unscripted shows, because that's the way around this is to just go just to lean into reality shows. The reason we have Cops that the TV show is because of the like the writers striking the eighties that they're like, oh, fuck it, then we'll just follow cops around with cameras and that's a show. We don't need writers. So they're like they got their show. They're renewed Farmer Wants a Wife, Special Forces, and a new game show called ake Oil hosted by David Spade, which I'm like, is he just gonna improv up there? Like is someone writing, like who's writing this game show? But again that they'll figure out ways to like maybe put them on like a creative producer who's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, creative consultants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they just scab it up that way, because someone is going to have to write it and ABC also then they said we got a jaw dropper of the schedule. They unveiled it. It's comprised entirely of unscripted shows, with the exception of a pair of Abbott Elementary reruns on Wednesday. That's it. They're like, fuck, man, at least we got that show. But I guess we'll just do reruns and put like not listen to the people that make the fucking hit show that are giving you all this whatever. And it sounds like this is from tv line says and what can only be viewed as a foreboding sign about the potential duration of the current writers strike, the network's fall schedule. Fall schedule is compromised entirely of unscripted fair and the lineup includes More America's Funniest Home Videos, American Idol, Shark Tank, and the show nine to one one which Fox dropped, and several Bachelor shows, including the brand new Golden Bachelor, which isn't about people that are like piss free, it's about it's about the senior citizen season of The Bachelor, which we know about.
Speaker 2: We were talking about that briefly. I'm excited for that one. I think that yeah, actually of all, but you know, older people are more real, So honestly, I could just see it just being way more like, yeah, let's go for it, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people who are in touch with their mortality make way better contestants on game shops.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and unlike in the mood for love, they will fuck in the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're probably gonna look for every opportunity on the to go when.
Speaker 1: They go to fantasy suites when they all man, you know, one of them may come out in a wheelchair just because.
Speaker 5: They're like instead of at the bottom, like what their occupation is, it's like how many years they probably have left a list?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like Walt twenty twenty years at best. It's twenty years at best.
Speaker 5: The stakes are higher than Yeah, well, it's like the thing you see even.
Speaker 1: On like Love is Blind on Netflix, Like a lot of the couples like Crash and Burn because you have like cloud chasing young people who like also don't feel like the creeping of time to be like, am I gonna die alone?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Surely not, So give me the Golden Bachelor please. But again, this is sort of like where they're at. They're just gonna lean into more of the unscripted shit as a way to try and be like, well, we don't need you. Guess what assholes you do?
Speaker 5: This is what kills me though. I mean so like and I feel like you guys probably were you know, like the wet we Zach and I like we like worked with Funnier and to eye, we worked at the Onion, We worked in like website internet land and we know how this plays out, yeah, which is that ultimately, like the social media tech companies have figured out a non union way of making what they call content, right, you know, TikTok YouTube, like these things which and there are on these platforms. Yeah right, sure, and there's good things, but we're all trying to survive and basically the remnants of like the apocalypse that happened to institution website based internet. Yeah right, we're all scrambling and scratching trying to survive because that was destroyed by this like race to the bottom that algorithmically based like video production whatever. These these companies Facebook, YouTube, what good you know that they did? And the truth is those are the enemies of both the AMPTP, the producers and studios and the writers guild. Like if we're we're fighting among ourselves right now. But what's happening is when there's not good quality television, not good quality scripted work on TV, people are switching over to their phone. Yep, they're gonna just start getting addicted to the algorithms that are you know, made by our like adversarial company countries. They're gonna switch over to those things because they're literally crack and they're not gonna come back, and then we're gonna just like slowly lose everything, right, absolutely, right, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: That was my first thought.
Speaker 3: I mean, this lineup sounds like they've given up on trying to appeal to anyone under the age of forty, so they like, where are those people gonna go? They're not, you know, it's and I think they feel like they've already lost the like culture war in terms of like you know, prestige TV and stuff like that. Age is a little bit over. Everyone's watching so many different things. You know, you might have someone who like, even like a show like Secession that seems to be ubiquitous, Like I haven't seen a single episode, and we talked about this show so much that I know so much about it, But it's like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I can't. I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't figure out how you do that for reality television for people who aren't already like wholly in that universe like Miles. You know, yeah, it's not really in my bubble, so I don't. They're not appealing to me and they're not trying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like how are you?
Speaker 3: And that also leaves jobs on the on the table for people who maybe could write some scripted television that I would love to see and it's just not being produced.
Speaker 1: Nah. Well again, I mean like like everything is just been about how do we squeeze the most out of world? It's like every it's again, this is like just it's just a perfect example of happening everywhere, which is how can we get the most out of the labor of these workers for as little money as possible and keep them in a desperate situation so all they can do is accept the raw deal that we're giving them, and really the only way is through collective action. So shout out to the union for fucking striking, because it is it's doing something.
Speaker 5: It's true, And I do want to say, I mean, like so this our show High Science, we were really proud to unionize the show. It was actually the first Discovery Channel show that's ever been WGA. What they told us, yeah, because they had just bought HBO when it happened, and normally Discovery is all unscripted all like that kind of stuff. But we were like, we're WJ writers, like this is going to be a scripted show. Discovery had just bought HBO, Max and all those things, and we kind of made the case like you're going to have to start doing union stuff. We went back and forth a few times. We were on that point of like will we walk away from this show that we've been trying to make for years, right, like if it wasn't doesn't go union? And then they let us do it WGA, which was amazing. And the other thing is like the people at these networks, like the people that we worked with who fought for our show over there are execs, Like a lot of people fought for our show on that side too, and like it's great to collaborate with those people. And I know a lot of those people also just want the best deal for all of us, right because they want to keep making TV too. They love television. It's also their job to make television and try to make the best shit for everybody. They want this to happen too, And the sooner we all just come together and make this something that we can all do like and live at the sooner we can start making dope shit that gets people away from the fucking crack like of the fucking algorithm screens and watching cool shit again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and I mean like, and part of this too is like as the strike's going on, you know Jimmy Fallon, who's just like had gaff after gaff since the strike began, whether like being asked like, hey, are you painting right, He's like, I don't, I don't know, Oh yeah, okay, I'll do it, like for another couple of weeks or like this another two weeks. He's reportedly going to be the first late night show to stop paying its crew as the writer's strike continues, according to one of the employees, Nbcason calling it a layoff or furlough, but rather an unpaid leave of absence. Hopefully that doesn't sting, but basically it's the same thing because you're not getting your check. The last check you're getting is coming next week, and deal with it. Colbert Kimmel Myers, They're all reportedly continuing to keep their staff paid. We'll see how long that lasts. But the same day this report dropped about Fallon and like not paying the staff, he joins blue Sky, the new you know Twitter clone, and you know he's like may people that like, oh, maybe he'll address the concerns of this sort of note. Wait, he just posted about how you got the new Zelda game on switch? Like the most empty posted him I holding the switch up, like yeah, I got the Zelda. Naturally, most of the responses were like he was just getting brigaded in the comments of like, hey, your fucking staff, you fucking clown, rather than stunting like with a debt with your dead eyes being like that new Zelda, That's.
Speaker 2: What I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I feel like Jimmy Fallon is the kind of guy who just ends up in spaces and goes along with whatever is happening in the room at the moment, because he's just kind of like the aloof like aw shuck's silly white guy and he's supposed to be. You know, he's like used to people treating him like he's a golden retriever. So he's extra confused when people don't like something he did or didn't do, like the incident where he tussles Trump's hair and then he's like what would I do?
Speaker 4: Like I'm so what happened?
Speaker 1: Or the terrible bored ape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this happens time and time again. I really just think he's like everyone really likes me, right, and then people will be like, well, no, not this thing, and he's like what why?
Speaker 4: And I can't help you?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you from education, you breaking character and laughing on SNL only got you a few years of endearment. Man. Yeah, like it ends. It ends after a while. But yeah, like after that, many people, like one person posted, wow, cool, dude, maybe you can build something that pays your staff since you see him unwilling to, and yeah, pretty much all the comments are like pay your fucking writers. And then someone on Twitter at Undefeated Matt treated to say, if you have Blue Sky account, we're pulling Jimmy Fallon over there.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I I was a writer of the Tonight Show for a couple of years, and I have to I don't know what's going on there now, but I do know that when the pandemic happened. I wasn't there when the pandemic happened, but that Jimmy out of his pocket paid everybody for a couple of months at least, So I lot of me that he has done that stuff before. I don't know what's going on now, but like he has, he has reached into his pockets before and paid people for a while without life, and shit's going down. The only hope that he continues or whatever.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and look, I you know, shout out to your good your good ex employee for sticking enough. I think the issue the issue though, I think just perceptually right in our Yeah, yeah, no, And I know what you mean because like Gordon did it, many other people did it as they should because they're millionaires and they get paid millions of dollars. And you again, they're not where they are. The hosts of these shows are not where they are without their staffs, especially their writing staff. They're monologue ms.
Speaker 2: I mean no, And I know, like I know tons of people on the staff, and like there are people there's like you know, costume designers and set makers who are worried about paying their mortgage. Yeah, you know, and it's like it's very real, very immediately for hundreds of people who aren't writers. Like that's and that's like one of the one of the crazy things that we have to do when we go on strike is we are doing it knowing that we are affecting the jobs of assistants who are being let go, like you know, so like so many people crews everywhere, So many people are being affected by this who didn't have a say, who didn't have a vote, and like that weighs heavily on all of our all of our minds, and so it's like that's why we just want this shit to like get fixed as soon as possible, because we want not just us to go back to work, we want everyone to go back to work, and like and and yeah, I don't know it's but I think that's why there's so much solidarity with the WGA, because like other you know, like the team Stirs or IATZI, which is another for peop who aren't aware of like at show business, like another major union in the film industry. Like they're like, yeah, man, because if you guys get it right, like that only increases our chances to better our situation as well. But yeah, yeah, and SAG AFTRA they're starting, they're talking about going on strike. Now. I mean that's it's always been where the Writers Guild we we like they start it, and then other groups that just may not be as collectively unified will like then be like, okay, we can get behind this too. Yeah, like yeah, this we're gonna start with the Writers Guild though, absolutely, because they're.
Speaker 1: Like, wait, I want yeah, I should get residuals to as a fucking performer.
Speaker 5: One.
Speaker 2: I also got to say, this is the first, like since I've joined the Writers Guild. I've been a member for like five six years now, this is the first big strike I've been a part of. And you guys, like when you're in the Writer's Guild and they're going on strikes, the speeches are so good that are like getting you pumped to go on strike. I mean they're just like we have been down here as rats in the ground, and now it's time to come together, and you're just like, oh my god, yes, yes, strike. That's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean Adam Conover like had a very fantastic sort of sound bite at the beginning of it, which I think captured the imagination of many people were like, yeah, man like fuck yeah, like try and do something, and you're in a situation to do it to better the situation that we're seeing where again, everywhere you look, labor is being exploited and all of the wealth is being concentrated at the top with no regard for the people that are actually creating.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm stoked about too, and like speaking to the solid air of the other unions, like but like I was out pickning yesterday and there was like nurses on the line with it. Like it feels like also just in general, this wave of like labor in America finally coming like finally people being like.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, that's right.
Speaker 5: That's why things were better for like the middle class like yeah thirty years ago, because we like fought to make it better, right I mean, and like people finally coming together to like do that. I grew up in the valley, the San Fernando Valley is a kid. So many people who worked in the industry, like that's where they settled, right, Like it's because like you didn't have the money to like live in Beverly Hills, like crew writers be like that they settled in the same f Nando Valley and there were people who, like I had friends whose parents had a very perfectly middle class life in the eighties and nineties just from like writing on one show and being able to do that, and that was affording them things like home ownership and other things, paying for college, and it wasn't like, oh, man, like this thing ends and then like they're not actually like the pay is terrible and there's no better. Like it's it's so different, and I think every person can speak to their industry like it wasn't like this thirty years ago, like you could fucking live off this shit. But you know, these hyper capitalists have figured it out by saying, what if we just took all the money and didn't share it?
Speaker 1: So yeah, obviously all of our support is with the WGA right now because it's absolutely imperative, and like I said, I mean, podcasting absolutely needs to. I mean like we're seeing it like places here, like iHeart is like in the Union talks because many, yeah, many, like many industries are experiencing this thing where it's like, well, you're you're selling all these ads against our war, but where is the proper you know, distribution of all that, because again, it looks like it's just shot up to the top, and then everyone's like, Okay, what's the how's the stock price? All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back just to wrap it out with some movie talk after this and we're back, look over your shoulder if you're driving, please because people might be driving like straight up assholes, because a new Fast and Furious movie is out. Fast X is coming out today this weekend. It's out there. People are I don't know, they're probably has anyone ever not liked to Fast and Furious because like it's not like you're there for the the mellow drama, will they won't they You're there for the fucking just obscene like vehicular porno that.
Speaker 4: Is drift has its haters, but.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah yeah people hate that.
Speaker 5: That would be the one car WI version, right is like the movie is like, are they going to drive the car?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, drive the car.
Speaker 1: Just drive.
Speaker 5: He's just almost like, I don't know, no, just I'm in the mood to drive the car.
Speaker 1: What was the car now? Was it Hans car or one in Fast Furious? Too too Fast, too Furious.
Speaker 3: I remember Little bow Wow's character had had a hulk like Scion XB I remember and.
Speaker 1: I remember that was like Devin Aoki was in everything, but yeah, yeah, if he had acting skills or not. There Yo, that Steve sit.
Speaker 4: In here Nepple baby, we love you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh for people don't know her and Steve Aoki's dad started Ben.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah but what yeah, oh my god, Rocky, Yeah I did not know that. Yeah, yeah, I remember Dom shows up at the end, his car is in there. I don't know what the car was in that one. I'd have to go back and watch.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we digress, because again, this is about people's safety. That's what this show is about, first and foremost. And and you know, we've come a really long way, you know, from this from a movie franchise that began merely with this simple story about stealing soon to be worthless DVD players. And look at where we're at. We're at the fucking tenth one. The question is now, will Fast ten usher in a wave of people driving like absolute maniacos. There's been a lot of suggestions that the Fast and Furious movies influence people's behavior. So when the first film came out way back in two thousand and one, there were reports of quote increase in street racing in Los Angeles. This is the headline that, like I said, Fast and Furious fuels increase in street racing. But even that article, as you read it, they admit that the street races occurred the first weekend the movie came out, which is not really enough time to be like, yeah, we're gonna organize mass street races because we're inspired by this and ours article also says a that street racing raids are regular for the LAPD. Street racing has been around since time immemorial, so like.
Speaker 4: These are forties or something in La specifically, come on, we saw grease.
Speaker 5: They were racing La high Man. What the fuck was that?
Speaker 1: And also secondly, the cops operation was quote explicitly time to coincide with the release of the movie, so it's like copaganda in a way. They're like, oh, yeah, we're on our ship man because you know, these fast and furious freaks to the headlines.
Speaker 2: Let's go get it. It'll be viral exactly.
Speaker 5: We've got a movie tie in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll movie tie in for a homeless encampment sweeps. I don't know how we're gonna tie it in, but we're like, yeah, man, we had to you saw Fast and Furious.
Speaker 2: Is there a Fluster movie about camping coming out soon? We could probably tie it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right exactly, So the movie didn't. If anything, the movie inspired the raids, not the fucking racing. When the sequel came out, some people even blamed a string of deaths around the country on Too Fast, Too Furious. Uh, the studio was like, this is very odd cause and effect that you're bringing up. They bring up the case of William Lakhass junior had quote just pulled out of a gas station and his mother corvette when two cars zipped by and flashed their hazard lights of the seventeen year old in a challenge to race like pass Forward Florida. Moments later, he crashed into a concrete light pull and was killed. And then they said, another victim in a string of deaths around the country. So they said this is all to blame on two Fast, Too Furious, a movie about street racers that hit theaters three weeks ago. But again, like you said, this has been around forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And also I think nowadays, if you are gonna ask like a young person who just got their driver's license and maybe has access to a cool car or something like where they learned how to like participate in takeovers or shutdowns or side shows or whatever.
Speaker 4: It's probably TikTok. I'm not gonna lie you.
Speaker 3: I'll spend hours and hours and hours on Instagram and TikTok just looking at the insanity of people just like shooting fireworks at cops who will just sit there and do nothing and just let them fuck around in an interception for forty minutes, just like waving guns at each other and stuff. I love the chaos, but it's obviously not safe and there's people who don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: So you see the one where they shut down the Golden Gate Bridge, Yes.
Speaker 4: Bro, and they have the drone footage from there is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like this furious, Yeah, put this in fast and furious, not the other way.
Speaker 1: What we need to do is we need to unite the street Racers and the Writers Guild of America for some real disruptive kind of demonstrations, you know what I mean. I'll be like, yo, we fuck with you man, and like we look we're down to like we're down to maybe figure out some content.
Speaker 3: Here we hang out the side of a charger with a fucking strike post like yeah, and bumping some big.
Speaker 1: Put it onfucking two wheels on its side, and you're scraping the ground with the picket sign like.
Speaker 2: Just like paper mache scripts on the cars.
Speaker 5: So just kind of ye, it looks like getting out on the picket line. It's just all about honking, Yes, just like honk. That's a huge part of the street.
Speaker 1: What about what about that ship that burt I'm sorry, I get to fucking sidetrack, but I saw it like outside of Warner Brothers, like honking is illegal, Like you're trying to make it seem like you can't honk. And then the mayor of Burbank was like, nam man, y'all fucking honk? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Fuck yeah, honk illgal, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 5: There's this whole button in the middle of your fucking steering wheel that was made to support union.
Speaker 1: Use the buta on that ship. And also shout out to the people in other cities where productions are happening that are also getting their shit together to shut down productions, because that's that's one of the things that a lot of studios are trying to do, is like maybe we can absconde back to Georgia. But it's like, no, think they're starting to figure all out and like sending out fake call sheets and stuff. It's a whole like information war happening with like you know, shutting these sets down. But we digress back to The Fast and the Furious. Whether or not the movies actually led to more street racing or not. Researchers they they did their best, and they said they could find a loose link between the releases of Fast and the Furious and increases in speeding violations, not necessarily you know, fucking racing, basically saying like, you know, people got too hopped up on watching dom Toretto and his charger, so you know, they left the theater in their fucking cam reacting like they had nitrous shit like in there and trying to hit the switches. The study, which even their authors admit it's like limited, but they analyzed traffic violations in Maryland, found a large increase in the average speed of drivers who received speeding tickets on the weekends after Fashion and Furious releases, and the percentage of people nailed for extreme speeding, which is like forty miles over the limit nearly doubled. It's like, oh, they juxtaposed that when a Hunger Games movie came out didn't go up, so they're like, I mean there might be something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but more people became archers when games. A lot of bow and arrow accidents like that increased huge, like archery schools. Yeah, absolutely, Like it was a huge trend in kids taking archery from Hunger Games. So movies totally affect what you want to do and like and do stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Queen's Gambit guys, remember that I wanted to play chess so bad when that show came out. So yeah, I totally understand watching a car movie and being like, man, I want to fucking drive oh fast.
Speaker 1: I mean I was already I remember playing like on PlayStation or maybe just put PlayStation two. There's a game called Midnight Club that was like a street racing game, and I was totally into that shit. Then Fast and Furious came out and I was like, oh, I'm really into this game, and then Need for Speed started changing all theirs. They started switching it up anyway. I'm like, I'm like an old video game head number man. Remember that Need for Speed that had the Yin Yang Twins song when you loaded.
Speaker 4: Up midnight club Dub edition. You remember that edition?
Speaker 1: Maned to go to best show.
Speaker 2: I didn't play the other one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to go to a lot of dub shows, especially when I worked in radio anyway. So again, the researchers conceded that it doesn't obviously suggest cause and effect, but that there was some kind of link there somewhere there. But you know, like it's probably more so that, like, if you're into driving fast, you're probably going to go see Fast and Furious because you're getting your jolly's like that. But one measurable nuisance that is caused by the film are for the residents of this very quaint neighborhood just west of downtown where Domto lifts, okay, and the people live that that live there. They've been complaining regularly about fans racing and doing donuts in the neighborhood nearly every night. That they protested the filming of the film because they're like, you're fucking up our neighborhood, Zach. Do you know any Are you familiar with anybody who lives in that party have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man night, we have like four friends who live within blocks of that spot, and they have said that, Yeah, they're like, yeah, the one thing, it's a cool neighborhood, we like it. The one thing is, you know, it's the Don Turetto spot, So you know, there's just always car every The main thing that people do is show up with their cool car and just stop traffic to take a photo of it, like on the So it's just like constant traffic jams of people in line to take a photo of their car in the middle of the street and then nighttime race their car down the street because it feels also like fast and furious. So yes, it's a huge I can absolutely attest that that is a problem that's happening year round for them.
Speaker 1: Of the people who live near there, it's always funny like people who live near those like a home like that whose exterior served as like an iconic film or TV moment, like the people who absolutely like want to fuck up, like the visitors to the Walter White House in New Mexico, like how they.
Speaker 2: Just throw pizzas on it, like oh yeah.
Speaker 1: But like the owners of the house are like militant noth like, get.
Speaker 5: The fuck away from this fucking house.
Speaker 1: They're like, we get that it was Walter White's house and yeah, the love of just being family, you know, over there and cracking a brew open, which is also really interesting. The film also has a huge effect on beer sales, Like, while Corona did not pay to have their product featured in the films, the franchise like the people who make the movie, they're like, all in all told, we've gave them about fifteen million in free advertising when you really add it up, and like one of the producers like, why don't I have that shit just delivered to me on the fucking daily. I bet that was probably like a really low energy wave for them to be like, this is how we're going to get fucking Corona free for life.
Speaker 2: Cut to you've got to drop that fact if you've got that fast and they're like, you know, are helping out Corona for a long time. Do you guys think that white tank tops sell better when fast and Furious movies come out like the Don Touretto.
Speaker 1: Probably, I'd imagine if you're bald, you buying, you're buying a white tank and you may be.
Speaker 2: Doing Yeah, it's a good reminder for bald men to go pick up a new white.
Speaker 1: You oh yeah, I mean like every time comes I shaved my head, reshave it, but get it looking good.
Speaker 2: Bald man's confidence goes up three D whenever there's a near fast and yeah.
Speaker 1: How many how many bald men in white tank talks are this is they think? How many bald men in white tank tops are getting in car accidents after fast and furious that's we need? And how many of them are increasing in how much they much they mentioned family, Like I've been like mentioning family more.
Speaker 4: You been asking the right questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm certain you know I pulled you over family?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, get out of the car. Get out of the car, you fucking touretto on it.
Speaker 2: Our twentieth bald man in a white tank tops that we've arrested today.
Speaker 5: Uh, just all the mug shots the week after.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, because like, okay, this is interesting. We got to look at all the states that have public mug shots and after a pastor how many tank top bald guys are we going to see? They're just like all like like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all their mouths are in the they're saying family. You can see, like I think if we like show the dugshots they're saying the word family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, so uh yeah, I mean shout out to all of you getting fast and or furious, but please do it safely and you know, please wear white tank tops responsibly. Uh, Zach, Matt, thank you so much for joining us on the daily Zeitgeist. Where can people find you? Follow you and obviously catch High Science?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well watch High Science on HBO Max or Discovery Plus or Max now that it's all becoming Max. Yeah, we're gonna be on Max, so check that out. You can find me on Instaga at z Poytress or on Twitter at big Zach Poitris.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, big Zach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess I'm my Twitter is the one that I stare at more than the other ones, and I'm at Matt Kleinman.
Speaker 1: But how you spell that? Man? You spelling that?
Speaker 5: Oh right? Ka l I m m an no e that he got dropped when the when the ell Asil one of those my name is spelled wrong, dude.
Speaker 1: When the Ameta guns made you change your name. It's my favorite. One of my favorite Sopranos scenes where Phil Leotardo talks about how they were really Leonardo and then anyway, great scene from my Sopranos fans. Yeah, and what's a tweet or a work of media or social media that you guys are loving?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I was. Well, So it came out this week the the hard Drive, right do you guys know the website hard Drive? And I don't know if you guys have already talked about this on the show. They had like a complete reviewing of every n sixty four game this week. WHOA, they dropped this massive article where they went back and played every single game that was released for the Nintendo sixty four and reviewed that. That's amazing and it's it's like two hundred and some odd games and it's like a complete I've just been like, have a tab open of it and just page through. And I like, I think maybe because I like obviously like had in sixty four and was renting a lot for Blackbuster, but also I had like a game Pro subscription during that time. I'm like shocked at the number of like games that I recognized and either played or like knew about, right and to like finally really hear about them. And also from now, it's a really spectacular piece of work, very comprehensive. I can't recommend it.
Speaker 2: Enough love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and I guess universally they're panning the Superman game because isn't that sort of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, although it's not they've they've it's actually they didn't consider it the absolute worst. There a few that were worse. Is the ver what is?
Speaker 2: What's the word?
Speaker 5: You have to look at the you know, like the thing here I pull it out.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're not saying that as a tease. You just don't know. You don't remember. No, I don't know it was.
Speaker 5: I think it was another superhero game though.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Zach, what about you?
Speaker 2: You know, man, I we're actually we're both watching the show Silo right now on Apple, and I realized that you can really easily hook me into any show where you go like all of humanity is living in a cave? Like, will that? Will that work out? I'm in you know, if you say, like all of humanities living in the trees, right, why what will that mean? I'm like, I don't know how that changes. I will check that out, dude, I will absolutely check that out. So you put any people in some sort of just like one place or something right right? Right?
Speaker 1: Ask the question why I'm in Yeah, there we go, There we go. Do you find out what the worst game was.
Speaker 5: Matt, Yeah, yeah, it's it's another Uh it's Batman beyond Return of the Joker.
Speaker 2: Oh shit.
Speaker 1: We were just talking about how the Joker would be a great podcaster, but he he sledged specifically, so.
Speaker 5: That one and then Karma Geddon sixty four they ranked worse than Superman, which makes me feel better because I always felt bad about not playing Karma Eddon right, because I was one of the most played like demos that I played on my computer. You know those games where you just had one level, you just have the demo, and you like kept playing it because you'd never I could never go to my parents and say, can you buy me Karma Geddon?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh man, shout out to Karmageddon, shout out those those long lost games.
Speaker 1: Justin thank you so much for joining me. Now, where can people find you? And all that? And there is there a work of social media or media that you're digging? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can find me on Instagram at j con the Smith that's at j C O N t H E S M I t H. Lately, Hulu has been killing it with the nineties hip hop documentaries of late by which I mean I've seen two. The J Dilla one is fantastic, course, but the Tupac one was the one that really was a huge surprise for me because I it's called Dear Mama. I was avoiding it for weeks because I was like another Tupac documentary. I don't really you know, what else can I learn. I've seen so many of these, it's fantastic. I sat there for like six hours and just absorbed all this stuff because it really isn't about him. It's equally his mom holds a weight in there. And it was released a little bit before Mother's Day and it's incredibly touching and heartwarming. If you know anything about Tupac, the gangster side of him came out a little bit later in life, but he was a sensitive young boy at a certain point, and you really see him for who he is in this documentary. I think that's the first time like I really didn't want to hear about like, oh, who really killed him? Or what I wanted to hear more about, like the person, and this really does that. So if you're interested in that, you can check that out.
Speaker 4: Dear Mama. On Hulu.
Speaker 3: And also I was lucky enough to get my sleeves started for my tattoo by an outstanding artist and professor at usc by the name of Danny Cansino. She's a local LA artist who's been blowing the fuck up lately. In fact, if you're in the area, she has a solo exhibition on display at the Charlie James Gallery titled This Is My Blood. It's a love letter to her city, her heritage, her culture. It's got Mexican spirituality all up in it. If that interests you, you should go check it out. And you can follow her on Instagram at Danny Cansino at d A n I E c A N s I n O.
Speaker 1: Somebody getting that sleeve done for a fucking free after Yeah, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: That we weed out. She's yeah, yeah, yeah, shout.
Speaker 1: Hey, shout out. Yeah yeah. I'll fuck with Danny too, man. I want to get a free tattooed though. Uh let's see. You can find me at Miles of Gray. On most apt based platforms, you can find our basketball podcast, Jack O'Brien and I basketball podcast Miles and Jack Got Mad Boosties. We've been talking about the postseason. Oh my god, that's Celtics man. Oh man, Jimmy Buckets doing his thing, and man, Jason Tatum absolutely turned to a ghost in that fourth quarter. Don't know what happened the invisible man, but look as if this recording don't know what happened in Game two of the Lakers Nuggets series. So I could be a sad boy as well, so who knows? Who knows? You can also find me on my uh, you know, reality show podcast with Sophia Alexandra about ninety day Fiance called four to twenty Day Fiance. You know what the fuck is up? And let's see some tweets I like At wbe Z tweeted hundreds of workers showed support for WGA TV and film writers and their third week of strike against the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, and then at Daisy Gardner sort of quote teeted then said, you got to feel pretty dumb if you could have given the writers what they wanted for the cost of a few private jet rides for your executives, but you refused and accidentally kicked off a nationwide labor solidarity movement hashtag WGA Strong. Yeah, that's true. And at Julie Underscore bush Quote tweeted that Daisy Gardener tweet and said, I'll never forget when an exec told me privately that the amount I was getting paid was literally the amount the execs were blowing on private jets to locations for no particular reason. It just shows you, like that the money's there, it's just not being properly distributed. It's for fucking indulgences. And at samo yedcoor tweet Hey nice man bun haha, fucking sucks you hipster asshole. He turns around and reveals he is a samurai from the Tokugawa shogun Age. Oh fuck, so specific, but I love that samurai reference. You can follow us at Daily Zeitgeist on Twitter, at the Daily zeit Guys on Zeitgeist on Instagram. Got a Facebook fan page, website Daly hike Gus dot com. We're post all episodes in our footnotes Thank you justin where we post all of the links to the articles we talk about and uh also the song.
Speaker 5: We write out on.
Speaker 1: What are we going out on? This is a track from the artist tlim Shug which the letters are being slit switched around from slim Thuck. Okay, I recognize that, but this is tlim Shug and this person is like a Brooklyn based like producer. This track that they put out like that we're going on. It's called DK zero zero one. It sounds like sort of a fly Low adjacent house track, like a really interesting production of like really great percussive textures on it and like haunting sort of vocal sample that might be twim Shug themselves, but I'm not sure. So check this one out. DK zero zero one all one word to you know, take that into the weekend again. This show's a production of iHeartRadio. So for more podcasts, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or Rebigae podcast. Will be back later, tell you what's trending. Until then, Peace the fuck out by A