Speaker 1: Causer Media.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Away Days podcast on the ground outside reporting from the underbelly with me Jake Hanrahan. To watch Awaydays documentaries, go to YouTube dot com slash at away Days TV. This is part three Speed Tribe twenty five episode or the podcast is a production of H eleven Studio and caol Zone Media. Back midway up the mountain, after the white knuckle grip rates down it, I catch my breath as the cars fly off again into the darkness. My adrenaline is peaked and probably will be for some time. One of the cross racing lads currently hanging out at the side of the road laughs and puts his thumb up a grin and put my thumb up too. This lad goes by the nickname Lil Noisy. He's tall, skinny, and wearing a set of thick black glasses through the ice lot in his battle claver. He comes over to me and starts to chat with the help of our friends who's translating.
Speaker 1: We have a long history. Everyone gets on everyone's cars of Chris and I think it's a very cool team.
Speaker 3: We're number one.
Speaker 2: What is it you love about the street racing here? Obviously it's very illegal, but you guys are all doing it all the time.
Speaker 1: I think it's fine so long as we don't get caught. It's fun to race with everyone.
Speaker 2: In Japan, life is quite conservative. People follow the rules. You guys obviously break the rules all the time. How do you think your average person in Japan sees you guys street racers?
Speaker 3: What anything to you?
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's a nuisance. It's probably annoying.
Speaker 3: They find it annoying.
Speaker 2: The police are cracking down quite hard on a street racing. Are you not worried you might get into trouble since the prison have your car taken? You're not scared?
Speaker 1: Well, there is some worry, but having fun is more important.
Speaker 3: We run away. That's it, We run away.
Speaker 2: Can you describe what it feels like when you're racing? How does it feel to you inside?
Speaker 3: It's exciting. I just get so excited.
Speaker 1: It feels so good to be in a place where you are totally unable to think about anything else.
Speaker 3: You're so excited you can't think of anything else.
Speaker 1: Kids these days don't go out, so they don't really care about cars. Most kids think as long as it drives, anything is fine. I want the world to know more about Japanese cars, and I want the Civics B type engine to become more popular than turbos. They look bad, but the moment the v tech kicks in, it feels so good. It feels like I'm high. That's why I love Civics.
Speaker 3: I hate turbos.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: After this, little Noisy goes on to explain why he loves Honda Civic so much for about another ten minutes. If there's one thing we've learned for sure on this trip, it's that these lots absolutely live and breathe cards. Now, as I've explained in previous parts of this podcast, I strip it down to keep the narrative easy to follow, so therefore I only give my own perspective. Remember, though Away Days is a documentary series first and foremost, whilst I was in Japan, I was of course not alone. Me and my team were filming this whole thing. So I want to give some time to my very dear friend and creative partner, Johnny Pickup. He was there filming all of this as I was praying for my life in the front of these hundred Civics. To give him his full Jews here is a short bio. Johnny Pickup is an internationally published, multi award winning photo journalist and documentary filmmaker from London. Pickup's work focuses on the unseen and forgotten areas of society, using still and motion imagery to understand contemporary global issues. As a photo journalist, Pickup has covered world events current affairs for National Geographic, The Telegraph, Foreign Policy Getty. Pickup has won multiple international awards for his film and photography work, including the Platinum Remy Award. Person One Is include directors such as George Lucas and the Cohen Rogers. It's prowess working on the ground amidst chaotic situations is given to pick Up a.
Speaker 3: Raw but highly perfected style.
Speaker 2: Within his documentary work, He's largely responsible for the unique signature that Way Days is known for. Needless to say, Johnny is very good at what he does. He's also a really really good guy. Let's hear it from him. Had you ever heard of like the Japanese street racing scene or any of that before we did this film?
Speaker 4: Not really like obviously from popular culture like Fast and Furious you have, like you know, not that I really watched those films anything, but they're still mainstream.
Speaker 5: You know, maybe they gets put out about those.
Speaker 4: Kind of racing stories, but no specifics about like the kan joe specifically or toga. Like that was completely new when you said that to me, and especially the cultural bits that come along with that, like the style and ethos of the races, that was completely new.
Speaker 2: What was your first impressions of them, Like when we first met, like some of the lads there with the cars, what did you what did you think?
Speaker 3: Like what kind of struck you?
Speaker 4: I think what really struck me was mainly the attitude of the drivers and that culture, because you could tell that it was really out the realms of the ordinary. I think when people engage in that kind of thing in the UK or Europe, like it's slightly more accepted. I think in Japan you're really an outsider if you're doing that kind of stuff, Like it's really not accepted, and these guys are doing something that carries a risk, you know in terms of the law, but also like cultural risk as well that you might be looked down upon or you know, not accepted socially. So yeah, that was like super interesting. That came across to me straight away. I mean, as soon as we start getting in cars and like being around them properly, the speed at which we were traveling was suddenly like pretty mind blowing. I mean I was like I was like when we first even like getting like when I think we we took a ride, didn't we, And it was like not even like properly like racing the Caanjo, but it was like we're just gonna go on the Caanjo and me and you were like, holy fuck, look at each other, like this is serious, and it was nothing comparatible we're about to happen, but we were already like you know, checking we're strapped in properly like raising eyeb I was like, holy shit, like what's going on?
Speaker 5: And it felt like ridiculous, like just off the bat us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that first time when it was like, Okay, we're just gonna go here, and it's like, oh, we're on the loop now, and then all of a sudden, it's like one hundred miles an hour and that guy was like.
Speaker 3: Texting at the same time. I was like, oh, we're gonna die. Like it was terrifying.
Speaker 4: Also, like the exhausts, like the sound that the cars make is just insane, isn't it.
Speaker 5: It's just like it just goes through you.
Speaker 4: And I think even whatever speed you're at feels like tice as fast because you've just got this ridiculous rattle coming from the exhaust.
Speaker 6: Wo yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you know what though? Something really weird?
Speaker 2: So like normally, like say I'm about just at home in England or whatever, and I hear someone tear down the road that it like actually drives me mental, like it pisces me off, but but I don't know what it was like halfway through, I was like desperate to hear it again, like I wanted to feel it.
Speaker 3: Like every trip we talk, I was like, yeah, I loved it. When the VTech kicked in. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Is addictive?
Speaker 3: Is that it's a weird Yeah? Did you did you feel that as well? Almost like surprised I was that I'd ever think.
Speaker 5: That, Yeah, for sure, And I think, like.
Speaker 4: I both have sworn I would never get in one of those cars again, and at the same time secretly would love the opportunity because it's just like I mean, it was and it was a serious adrenalin rush, like it was everything about it and it hit all of your senses, like you know you were you were overloading every sense that you have in your body.
Speaker 5: It was just all like on.
Speaker 4: Overdrive and it felt it felt ridiculous and you got out of the car and like that adrenaline s fight was like something else, I mean, not really comparable to anything else I've done.
Speaker 5: It was really unique in that way.
Speaker 2: No, it's same, like even like war or it was a very specific adrenaline rush. It was like, I don't know, I think the like man in Machine vibe was just like, I don't know, it's something completely different.
Speaker 3: It really made me feel like I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say like I I understood it fully because I just I couldn't. I would be so scared to drive like that myself all the time. But very quickly I saw the appeal of it.
Speaker 3: Did you do you think that? Yeah, Like I get why people would do that.
Speaker 4: I'm not like a carn in any way. And it's the only time in my life I've been like, oh, I kind of get how your life could become that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like if you're a teenager there you'd be like I think I want it civic now, and I think I want to do this because ultimately, like it's like we were saying the whole time, Like you made a good point to start, Like Japanese culture it really does not accept or favor outlaws or bandits in any way, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And you could really become a social prior as well, Like people could really ostracize you for that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was what was the most challenging part for you, like trying to film.
Speaker 3: The racing and everything.
Speaker 5: Easy question.
Speaker 4: It was very difficult with and I think you would agree with this in a way that Japanese people are quite guarded and shy I think when it comes to especially being on camera and especially.
Speaker 5: When it's like a secretive world.
Speaker 4: And I think we both had moments of trying our best to get them to engage past one word answers. And that's just like I think that's just something that comes. If we went back and we were the same people, I bet you would be easier. It's just maybe requires more time on the ground or whatever. But they it was quite tricky to get them to speak openly and.
Speaker 5: Without embarrassment I think about what they were doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that was a big part of it for me. It was difficult because it's like you're going into this kind of underworld, but actually they're just mostly shy about it, which I didn't expect.
Speaker 4: And that's a lot of the other people that we go and film with, right, Like a lot of the times these people have like a bit of an ego trip and it's like that you can't stop them, like they just you can't stop them talking about themselves or what they're doing, And with these guys it was the opposite. But yeah, I think apart from I think from a shooting perspective, like it's quite a tricky story to cover in a few ways. Because one, everything took place at night, so just from like it's like straight away, just from like an exposure point of view, everything you're shooting is like you're you're struggling for light the whole time. And number two, like you're shooting in the back of like a stripped out car that's going ridiculously fast and swerving, and like to get any kind of camera control requires hands of steel.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was like it was pretty hard from that point of view as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was trying to explain to a friend the other day about the rigs that we had in there, like you had like lorry straps you had, you had the tripod somehow in the back. Can you maybe just go into a little bit of that, because I couldn't even really fully explain all those kind of technical things that you did to make it work.
Speaker 3: I mean, I say technical. It was like Jerry rigged, but it worked.
Speaker 5: Yeah, shit, riggs is what you call it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was like making the best of of the situation.
Speaker 4: So, like we obviously put like GoPros on the side of the veguan and within so we already had like a few angles covered, especially with the togn which was more like set up we could rig a car way more than when we were doing the kanjo, but.
Speaker 5: With the toget like, so we set at the goprost, we had.
Speaker 4: A few angles, and then I was like, I would love to be able to get like a shot from the interior looking forwards and rig a camera at a certain viewpoint. And in order to do that, I decided to strap the tripod down onto the to the cage of the car and secure it with these with these straps, yeah, that you could tighten right up, and it got really actually we managed to get into a really good position, didn't We and then just fix the camera onto the tripod and it created a fantastic like camera angle.
Speaker 5: It was really cool.
Speaker 4: It was like, I think we had our widest lens on there was like an eighteen mil and just locked off on that tripod and then just went through it. And because of the way that it was rigged, it moved with the car, so if the car went up a little bit, it came went up a little bit, and that created quite an unusual, quite unusual footage. Didn't It felt felt very immersive and fast, and I think more so than the other like handheld stuff.
Speaker 5: It was really cool.
Speaker 2: Actually, No, definitely agree, And I think like for anyone listening, they'll see it on our YouTube when the dot comes out. But basically it was shooting out the front but from the back right, so it was like you can see my head, you can see the driver's head. But I think the shake is what actually made it work, if that makes sense. For some reason with filmmaking, it kind of hard to show how fast something is actually going right, and like the shake kind of made it work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's like the classic thing also, like you know slow motion for example, as soon as you're filming a car, slow motion is like the worst thing ever. Just it doesn't suddenly it just doesn't look it doesn't look great. It just looks just looks like very slow and boring. You want to be able to have a little bit of shake, a little bit of speed. You want to be able to communicate like that level of Yeah, just pure speed and violence, like going down the work road. I mean literally the car is like going at a ridiculous speed down a mountain pass, and like you don't want so much and you don't want like really controlled footage.
Speaker 5: You want something that's going to convey that. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely in terms of like the cars themselves, Like what did you make of that?
Speaker 3: For me? I just couldn't quite believe how much they'd taken it apart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was quite crazy on the way to that toga, Like we were in different cars, whonn't we? And I was like in with this other lad and he had it literally bare bones, like bare bare bones, Like even the gearstick was just like straight metal pole.
Speaker 5: There was nothing even on top. It was like just there and this, I mean it just felt unreal.
Speaker 4: I was like, surely you need more in this than like basically a seat rollcageing gearstick, and steering wheel like that was respectively. It even like the speedometer like didn't have like a plastic it was just like open.
Speaker 2: Any difference, but that's great, like just in case it's like a feather's weight. Fucking I the guy I was, it didn't There was no panels on the door, so the door handle was just like a wire like it was. It was absolutely mental, like all the backseats ripped out like everything. What was there anything that kind of like surprised you maybe you didn't expect from these people.
Speaker 5: I think like.
Speaker 4: Often I think it's kind of away touched on, but like it's kind of like when you go into these worlds often you get a certain type of person. And I just felt like, more so than ever with this story, the people engaging with it were just so your standard Joe kind of guy, like just surprisingly so like they weren't in any way like trying to be hard or like gangsters, and they were just like ordinary guys. Like a lot of them like video games and stuff, and they were just doing these crazy races but they weren't. They didn't feel like they didn't fulfill the persona of like an outlaw as much as some of the other stories that we've done. They just were ordinary guys and that was quite surprising. I to it sometimes like super sweet, like nice guys, like they weren't. There was no ego, there was no like trying to trying to be a hard guy. They were just just loved racing these cars. And yeah, that was quite surprising.
Speaker 3: Yeah that from me as well.
Speaker 2: Like even that like yakuza guy we met was still nice, you know, like he was a chill guy until he kind of, you know, vanished. I was almost expecting some kind of like petrol head vibe like you maybe have in the UK, but literally literally none was like that. Even Park Like he was so sweet. I feel like he really longed for the days of it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you could tell that was a part of it, like the history to it was. Everyone really respected that as well. It was like it was almost like this on a code of like respect towards the history of Kanjo and the people that had done it before them and stuff like, And that was cool as well.
Speaker 3: What did you make of Japan is your first time there? Right? Me as well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, wicked so cool. I mean it was like, you know, a culture shop, but in the best possible way. It was like just brilliant. It was like you were discovering something new on every street corner, a different way of doing it.
Speaker 4: Whether it was like you know, typography, colors, like they just did everything different.
Speaker 5: Like I remember when we first got.
Speaker 4: On the Tube, it was like the color system was just so crazily different to what we would expect in Europe, and you know, having like little cartoon character chures like used in signage everywhere, and like it was just, yeah, it's just so different, isn't it. Like, and that's fun to walk around and just discover those things. I feel like often when you travel a lot, that doesn't happen so much anymore. I remember when I was younger and I went to India and I found that like a real culture shock as well. And I think this is the only other time I've had that where it was like, oh wow, like this really feels like I'm like I'm traveling and I'm somewhere far like far from home.
Speaker 5: It was cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: I think with the way like everything's so globalized now, you can see the other side of the world in the click of a button. It's almost like you've been somewhere before, or even if you haven't. But for me, even though I've been looking at Japanese culture and whatever, probably my whole life, like being fascinated from very young due to like manga and anime and all of that kind of cool stuff, it did feel like a completely new place to me. And one thing that I just couldn't get my head around was like we were in kind of like what was like would be considered like the hood, but you know that really cheap little spot we had. People were saying, that's like a very relatively poor area for a saka, but it was absolutely lovely, Like no one had to change their bike up, everybody said hello, there was no trash on the floor, no, nothing like that.
Speaker 3: And the thing that got me was like everything worked. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: And like we remember like we got on that we got on the tube for the first time, like literally it was it was just spotless, like you could eat it the off. It was that clean and going, you know, twelve hours before like getting getting off the London Tube to go to heater, and it's just feel that you sit down, a cloud of dust comes up, and it's just such a difference, even on the micro as well as the macro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I think as well, the the kind of culture of the bath houses, like we absolutely ended up loving. I think they called it the Center right, Like the first I was I don't want to go there. It's kind of seems a bit weird. Whatever, day one loved it, absolutely in love with it. The total difference of like bath house culture versus like, you know, extreme speed street racing.
Speaker 3: It kind of said it all for me. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And they had that wild treatment in there where you got electrocuted.
Speaker 3: Remember that, that was, mate, I hate that. I was terrified that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was an old fellow said like, yeah, yeah, like going there it's relaxing or something, and it turns out it was.
Speaker 3: A fucking electrocution. Man. It was terrifying, and he's laughing at me. I was like, yeah, thanks, mate, fucking horror. What was the point of it?
Speaker 5: Relaxed yours? You just got your love and balls absolutely sucked up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, like zapped by lightning.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 2: I hated that, mate, It was horrible. Now, it's a very weird thing. The strange bit for me though as well. When we went to like was it Kyoto for the day and like everyone it was just American like irl streamers. Yeah, it was just weird, very strange culture. Plus there definitely.
Speaker 3: One thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you felt this, like, but when I when I got home from like our trips, absolutely buzzing. Mate, the first time, it sounds like kind of coorney, but the first time I got in my car, Mate, I was like flying along the motorway back from the thing, and I was like, you know, I don't have like from v Tech in my car or anything like that, but I was absolutely buzzing about a week.
Speaker 3: I don't know, did you feel anything like that.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: Actually, since we've come back from Japan, the number of speeding tickets I've got.
Speaker 5: Is actually it's actually ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's just a coincidence, but maybe that's the lasting effect the hangover of Japan.
Speaker 5: I'm just like thinking that I'm on the Canja.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that says it all.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: What a trip though? It was great.
Speaker 4: It was just like a very very unique trip and experience, and I think like it's definitely stayed with me like maybe not racing the car, but like just I think about it a lot because and then if people ask me, like, oh, what's one trip that you you know you really enjoyed it was really cool for you?
Speaker 5: That one I definitely mentioned because it's like it.
Speaker 4: Is, it was sorry, just very unique in the way that I experienced it, Like it definitely has stayed with me.
Speaker 2: Just lastly, like, what what did you feel when we went up that mountain past and we're like halfway up there and they're like, yeah, we're going to go now what what were you feeling when you were in the car?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: I think when you were a kid and you're first like going a roller coaster, like proper roller coaster, and you don't really know what to expect, but you're like should I do it?
Speaker 5: Shouldn't I do it?
Speaker 4: And you end up like getting in the seat with your older brother or something, and like the seat belt straps in and you're like, do you know what? Actually I'm gonna get off, and it's like, no, mate, it's too late. You're what was hilarious. The funniest thing about it is like we were like both said to it, like we were like, okay, we just do one.
Speaker 3: We just do one.
Speaker 4: And we raced down the mountain and we came and then we like they turned around at the bottom and they raised back up and we got back to that like.
Speaker 5: Car park and we were I was like, fuck, thank god, that is over. Like that was and I was like looking at the drive.
Speaker 4: I was like laughing, like, oh that was thanks man, that was amazing, trying to like just unstrap my belts, like thank you so much. And he's like no idea what I'm saying, just laughing and noddy and he's turning the car around. I'm like, oh, thanks man, like can't wait to get out of here. And he starts reading the engine and they will start lining up and I'm like no, no, no, and then off again and it's like lap number two, not asked for.
Speaker 3: But wait, that same thing, the same thing happened to me.
Speaker 2: Like we're going back up and I think we did what like three or something like that, and I went back up and again I was like he's gonna stop, like I'll just get out, like like thank god I survived it. I'm like literally praying in the car and he just like I like looked at him and nodded, and he nodded, so I thought, right, he's got it straight down again, like wam.
Speaker 5: I was literally telling him like stop, like I wanted out. He was just nodding, yeah, yeah, He's like yeah, you like it.
Speaker 3: I was like no, no, no, like man.
Speaker 2: In the end, I had to like really grab his shoulder like not forcibly, but and like get him to look at me. And I was doing like the cut neck sign like I'm done, I'm done. Oh man, absolutely terrifying. I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: What as well.
Speaker 2: The I don't think I've ever felt g force, if that makes sense, Like I feel like that's as close as it probably gets, you know, in terms of like being in the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now you mentioned it, Like so I had all the cameras raked up, but I also had a camera on my lap and I was in the car behind you, I think, and my plant's trying to I could shoot some bits of.
Speaker 5: Your car through our window, and literally, like before we even got to the first turn.
Speaker 4: That was just evidently impossible because I like raised up the camera, the g fource hit properly, and it just like swung violently to the point where like I almost hit the drive and I was like, Nope, not going to try that again.
Speaker 5: He looked at me like I was absolutely crazy for trying.
Speaker 3: So were you just shooting out the front window?
Speaker 4: I was trying to Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it was very Yeah, I mean we're going so fast. So I think a lot of the footage we will use. Its just from the GoPro angles to be honest, and the and the car and the one that was rigged the camera in the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I felt as well that the well do you do?
Speaker 2: You tell me, like, I can you work out how that race worked? Like I don't know who was first, who was second? Like did you work it out?
Speaker 5: No idea?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Maybe time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: It was just like he was.
Speaker 2: I think he was saying that when you when you get to the bottom, it's like you you ever can quickly spin around and get the next spot. But it like it didn't make any sense to me. I don't know, man, it was absolutely crazy to me. It was quite an experience and I'm glad we've fucking lived through it.
Speaker 3: How far do you reckon?
Speaker 2: It was on you, you know the other side of like that little fence, like if you went off that I mean you know I've been saying throughout this series it was certain death like it was right for.
Speaker 4: Sure, for sure, it was like yeah, Ravine like it was Treed Cliff like it was yeah, you're not coming back if you went off that.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not all right, Mat, Thank you so much for coming along for that was absolutely mental.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no worries man until the next one.
Speaker 3: Yes, mate.
Speaker 2: Remember everything you heard in the last twelve episodes is just a fraction of what's to come. See our progress, watch our films. Go to YouTube dot com slash at a White Day's TV for everything else. It's a White Days dot TV. Thanks for listening to watch independent Awaydays documentaries. Subscribe to our channel at YouTube dot com clash at Awayaze TV. Your Way Day's Podcast is a production of H eleven Studio for Cool Zone Media. Reporting, producing, writing, editing and research by me Jake Hanrahan, co producing by Sophie lichttermin music by Sam Black, sound mixed by Splicing Block. Photography by Johnny Pickock and Louis Hollis. Graphic design by Laura Adamson and Casey Highfield
Speaker 5: S