Speaker 1: Well, it looks like Boston has a two game lead over the Mavericks in the finals, and we're that's all we're getting with one.
Speaker 2: Well, we're getting Usually you get more wells. Well, guess what, NBA fans, just one well, just a well, just efficient today.
Speaker 1: But the action is heading back to Dallas for the next couple of games.
Speaker 3: And we're not for people from Wiston, We're not.
Speaker 1: We're not counting the MAVs out yet because the hopium is still there and we love embracing it. And we'll discuss the first couple of games, what we can expect moving forward and more with journalists and NBA handlyst Sarah Todd on today's episode.
Speaker 2: Sarah Todd, I'm Miles Gray and I'm Jack O'Brien and this is Miles and Jack dot three.
Speaker 3: Got it look at the hitch ta Okay.
Speaker 1: Indeed, driving Spinny le.
Speaker 3: Bron's got it with five? Is gonna try another three? Mister, Look Bron, James, be honest, you look at man the whole episode. We're gonna do it in this in honor of you.
Speaker 2: Boston was so impressed by a super team.
Speaker 4: Oh Man, get out, Get out, guys.
Speaker 1: It's it's happened anyway, Sarah, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: Probably didn't get the nuances of sorry, oh sarahta.
Speaker 5: Look, thank you guys for having me so much, got such an honor.
Speaker 2: Once again, we needed to have one of our favorite guests back on at this spiritual low point of my fandom, my NBA fandom. We just pure, pure transparency for the sake of transparency. We were recording this on Tuesday afternoon. The series is currently two.
Speaker 3: Oh. By the time you hear this, it may, uh.
Speaker 2: Why'd he be two to one or three to zero, But this is a bit of a time capsule.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean before we get into the first two games, Sarah, what were you like expecting heading into the finals? So, were you like everybody's like, it's the Celtics, Celtics to loose, it's there still loose?
Speaker 4: Or were you maybe?
Speaker 5: I mean, I certainly wasn't expecting for Christaps to be a league Yeah, for his first game back, that that was wild. I didn't expect for Kyrie to crumble that hard in game one, and so I think it was about stuff that I wasn't expecting. I have been on an apology tour lately just apologizing to all of the teams in the league that I didn't believe in basically until they were in their last two games. Uh. It took me forever to actually believe in the timber Wolves, and then I was like, Wow, they're actually pretty good that I worked out for them.
Speaker 4: Look at you.
Speaker 5: Guys, and I have not believed in the Celtics all year. I was like, really, yeah, yeah, they're number one in the East. They've done that.
Speaker 3: Before, like the East.
Speaker 5: I expect for them to choke at some point, and so some of them are I should. I feel like I'm not ready yet though, to be on an apology tour for the Celtics, because we have like the most convoluted injury to kristapsperzingis in the history of injuries being reported that I've ever seen, And I wonder what that's going to do for them.
Speaker 2: If they're like magic, they're saying the same one that Chilling had in the year that they came back from three to zero down against.
Speaker 5: They are.
Speaker 3: Yet the bloody sock.
Speaker 2: They're like, this is actually the same injury, and in another sport it could be like addressed with sutures, but because basketball, you got them things flying all over in your legs to I don't mean to get too medical on you, Gault, but you got the things flying all over down there, and the them ankles and stuff.
Speaker 4: Could be bad.
Speaker 2: I have been of the opinion that this UH season is the Celtics to lose, that they are a super team. We called it last week. We predicted Boston and four. I think it was one of fifty two predictions we somehow made for Celtics.
Speaker 1: It could have been Maps in three. I think was mindset an out.
Speaker 2: But I really my main thoughts after the first two games, we really needed Denver to win that game seven against the Wolves. It turns out it was fun when it's started, but now, uh it it feels like garbage.
Speaker 4: It's cannot be our champion.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but it's all it's just so match up dependent, or everything was in the West so matchup dependent this year, and then it feels like we're just watching, you know, the team that happened to win the West run into a buzzsaw. I feel like the the thing I've been most impressed with so far from Boston is Brad Stevens and Drew Holliday. But like just the team that has been assembled, like the difference between this team and last year's Celtics team, Like the best players on this team so far were not on the Celtics, and like, I feel like it's taken us this long to be like, oh yeah, they added two absolutely incredible players that are completely perfect for their weak spots, and their weak spots are still there, and week, you know, like Tatum has not had a good series. That's always been the thing that we've pointed to, is like the one chance the rest of the league had against the Celtics is like, usually the team with the best player wins, and the Celtics best player is not as good as usual super teams as best player. But I think, you know, we got the two bad games from him, and I don't like he's eventually gonna wake up and have a good game. It's not just all gonna be uh, succumbing to Jason Kidd head games like like he did in Game two.
Speaker 5: Like I guess that I feel I feel the same way, but I also like not it would not surprise me for you know, for Luca to have like a forty point triple double and for Kyrie to have thirty points in for them to like absolutely like knock them out of the part, Like, none of that would surprise me. It would not surprise me for the Celtics to have a bad game and for it to even up in Dallas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. I think they had their bad shooting night in Game two. The Celtics did, and they still managed to win the one thing. Yeah, I think the fact that Porzenkas is probably out for a Game three and potentially the rest of the series does seem to give Dallas a bit of a chance because like Boston's defense has just been so suffocating, so good, and like even if you get past their perimeter defense, which has been incredible, like Porzingis is just gobbling everything up on the in the middle and that that seems that was the thing that was shutting off all hope for me as a rooting for anybody but the Celtics NBA fan, Like that was the one thing that I was like, well, you can't like all the supporting casts, they are like not good enough to deal with this. But maybe without Porzingis, like things loosen up a little bit for for Dallas. But yeah, that's a big that's a big if.
Speaker 1: It's a big if I mean, they just the way that even in game two when.
Speaker 4: They're just like, we just need to go at Luca. Man, just let's go with him. He's got litsornie.
Speaker 1: And that's where like Tatum, although he wasn't great on offense, he'd blow by Luca. Then everybody has to start rotating and then it's just like, well, let's just kick the ball around and the until someone finds that corner three or whatever. It was just it was just hard to like it was just really clinical and was like they're doing it again.
Speaker 4: They're going at Luca again, guys, don't you see this?
Speaker 1: And then even with the spacing right you have, prezingis like taking like Lively out of the paint and stuff, and you're just like, oh man, they they're they're just toying with them right now. And I just I hope for me on that hope you that perzingis being out it hopefully will be something that just levels it up a little bit, because yeah, like game two, I felt like if the Mavericks were gonna win one, it was that one. Celtics weren't shooting well they were in the Mavericks were having a better time rebounding offensively and it just still wasn't just.
Speaker 4: Wasn't quite there.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the Kyrie part is also very it's kind of difficult to watch.
Speaker 4: At the moment I thought it was.
Speaker 5: I think I was incredibly incredibly disappointed because at the end of that game too, like it started to get close again in those last couple of minutes. Yeah, and it felt like, Okay, this is your chance. And like in those two minutes, you see guys like Drew Holiday and like even throughout like these two games, Holiday and even some of their smaller role players Pritchard Howser, like anyone who's on the floor, it's like they are killing themselves to get into those rotations and at least have a hand up as they're flying out the guy, even if they're on a long close out, like even if they know they're not making it out. And like in those last couple of minutes, it's like Lucu was pulled back like near the nail or the elbow and just like wasn't even trying to get out to put a hand up in a guy's fit like he just like Derek White shooting a three, and just no one's even attempting to pretend like they're going to close out. It's like, yeah, this is the finals, man, Like, do you actually want to win a title? And if you do, you have to put effort in those like tiny little moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought like Luca was about to do the La Fitness clap when someone takes a jumper, like, oh, man, all right, he wasn't.
Speaker 5: Even putting in wasn't even putting in that effort.
Speaker 3: Okay, bro.
Speaker 1: There are times when Kyrie was like, bro, get up there, like, yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: Really it was really really difficult to watch, man. I a lot. I was flated for sure. For sure.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is a super team, Like when you look at how many, how good all the players are on both sides of the court, like this is you know, the metrics were not wrong during the regular season when people were like, oh, this Celtics team like has some of the best metrics we've ever seen, but who knows, it's you know, a different era. Defense is a little different, but like they are, they're so good on both sides of the ball. But man, the Tatum thing is I know it's getting a lot of coverage, but it does feel warranted because, like I mean, people are calling him the fifth best player in the league, like Celtics fans are saying he's the fifth best player in the league. He's been like the fifth best player on his team offensively so far in the finals, So I don't know, Like his defense is incredible, Boston's defense in general is incredible.
Speaker 3: Like all of the Dallas and cast.
Speaker 2: Has turned into pumpkins after looking unbeatable. It's just so frustrating because I was rooting against Dallas every in every series up to this point, and then I was like, yeah, but I get to finally I get to root for Luca and watch him like take his opponent's heart out and like feel good about that for once. And it's, uh, it's not been fun so far. It's it's been pretty rough.
Speaker 1: But I mean it's a testament to you know, the Celtics. It's like, oh, yeah, Tatum isn't shown up. Yeah, have you met Derek White Andrew Holliday and yeah, And then like it's crazy that we're talking about Jayleen Brown is like a tertiary character here.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jaylen Brown's been awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean, but like, yeah, but it feels like he fills that role that usually like people are like, well, you need that like player who's like alpha, who's gonna like get it done in the clutch, and it feels like you need a Jalen Brown who's able to step up when Tatum's not. But it's a bleak out there for people weren't Celtics fans say.
Speaker 5: It makes me think about Jason TAM's contract because I think that it's got a player option for next season and then like he's eligible for extension after that if he disappears during the finals, then like is upwards of forty million dollars what Celtics fans want the Celtics to be paying him, Like if it is about Jayalen Brown, who is already going to be paid, like he's getting like sixty five million dollars in twenty twenty eight or something crazy like that, Like yea, yeah, I just I can't imagine that. Like if you have the guy that's supposed to be the guy, but he's not the guy, do you want to pay him forty forty five million dollars?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean it seems like right now with the way the fans are talking and persingis potentially being out the rest of the series, like everyone's like JT Man, you got you got to step up, yeah, because it really is like because Perzingis was doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and now I think this this will be a very interesting moment. But maybe we can talk about that after this break be right back.
Speaker 2: And we're back, And I'm just realizing that by the time this episode drops, like Tatum will have had a fifty point game.
Speaker 5: I'm to go on another apology tour.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 2: At the same time, though, if this was like anybody who he's mentioned next to, like anybody who's like the best player on a championship team like that, everybody would be doing the same thing. Like this is like what happens when you're in the finals. You're supposed to be the best player on your team, and for two games you've been like, you know, just completely just out of sorts on offense. Like it just it feels it does kind of remind me of the Igodala m Finals MVP where Steph just wasn't like just couldn't really put it together in the finals. Like I could see like right now, if you had to give the Finals MVP out after the first two games, it would probably be Porzingis and then maybe Drew Holliday, right, Like, wouldn't it have to be one of those two after the first two games?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe, Yeah, Drew and Dad Derek White at times too, like he was hitting those clutch threes like when they needed it to. It's yeah, I know, it's not Jason Tatum.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not Jason is the point.
Speaker 1: It's not Jason Tatum for sure, but yeah, Prizingis. So there's like, okay, what's going He came back from that injury, the calf injury didn't seem to really mess him up, and then he the what okay, what exactly what? What are we calling this injury again?
Speaker 4: I know it's a mouthful. I saw that Sham's tweet.
Speaker 1: He suffered a torn medial retinaculum allowing dislocation of the posterior tibialis tendon, which sounds it's an ankle injury.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a tourm medial retinaculum allowing dislocation of the posterior to retaculum.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, you know what, My bad. So it's nothing, it's everything.
Speaker 3: No, you should be fine. Should be fine, I.
Speaker 1: Mean because right now there's we saw like even before this, He's like.
Speaker 4: I'll die out there, like try to win this championship.
Speaker 1: And then the next thing we saw from Joe Mozilla is like we have taken the decision to play out of Chris Staps's hands.
Speaker 4: For Missoula to say that it sounds.
Speaker 1: Like it sounds like he's out, like out, I mean, it sounds like Christaps clearly has the will to play. But from their perspective, they're like, this could also render you, like to lead to a much worse injury.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not a kinesiology major or physiologist, so I'll just I'll just stop there.
Speaker 3: What is theology?
Speaker 5: Is that the study of the body's movement?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, look at that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wonder because I think that the Bill Walton vibes in game one and on the warm ups and everything were so good that I didn't think that could be outmatched during the game, Like it was just like such a cool vibe that if Dallas it would have ruined everything, right, And then that also being pushed along by like the resurgence and return of Kristaps and now like on vibes only like what what do the Celtics go into Game three with right they're like, well, we're in Dallas and we lost Chris Stops, And honestly, I really think that it comes down to, like JT, you gotta step up.
Speaker 2: Playing JT Brott step up. I do think that's I mean, he's the one with everything to prove, and yeah, he's gonna be the focus of a lot of media accounts. I guess he doesn't pay attention to that stuff, but I mean he he seemed a little bit in his own head in Game two, like he would like miss a shot and like like look at his hands, or like once he like made a shot and like looked at the sky like thank God, Like he's like at it the basketball gods for having missed. I mean, he was missing some like layups that were like would like sit on the front rim for a couple seconds and then he'd like fall out.
Speaker 5: So you got to feel for him a little bit and not for nothing to like at least Luca has the benefit of not having finals experience, right Like that that's going to be a part of the narrative if this ends up with the Celtics winning, Like, no one's going to look at Luca and be like Oh you're a travesty. Hear failure and be like, oh, that was his first time to the finals. Now he'll know what it takes. On the other side of that, if the Celtics don't keep it going after this, the narrative is like, you've been here, you should know by now, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They've built a super team around Tatum, so they they really do need to win this one.
Speaker 1: Like, it's okay if they don't, though it okay if they don't, you know, I'm fine.
Speaker 2: I don't think it is for their fans. I think they're there, that's fine.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking purely for me selfishly.
Speaker 3: You're going to be a right, Okay, they don't, that's fine.
Speaker 1: You don't need you don't need eighteen rings, man, you don't even have eighteen fingers, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So don't worry about it. Don't worry about it, huck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for me, I'm fine. If if the Celtics lose the finals, that's I'm absolutely fine with that.
Speaker 4: But you think you think, like the if it if they end.
Speaker 1: Up losing, like the media is just going to absolutely just to eviscerate them.
Speaker 5: Probably, Yeah, I mean there's I mean, there's been questions about whether Joe Missoula is like a legitimate head coach, right, and like there's gonna be questions about him if they lose the finals. There's gonna be questions about the money that they have on the books for the next few years and if it's worth it. Like there's there's gonna be a ton of questions. It's really like hot seat for Celtics. And it's like without that pressure on the Mavericks, I mean, it might help them if they had a little bit more pressure, right, Like, yeah, if we played into the fact that like Kyrie maybe doesn't have as long the NBA as he would have in the past few years, right, Like if you if you played into those kind of things. But that's not enough because they've got a rookie playing center, and they have other young guys on the team and Luca is still so young and so like that it's just not the same pressure. I think is the team that you know, such a storied history, you know, the super team created around the JS. It's just a lot going in for them where it's like, no matter what happens at the end of this, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It does feel a little bit like it's not as dramatic as the Warriors after they got Durant, but it feels a little bit like that where it's like you already had a team that was like good enough to get to the finals and win it, like they have won that one series against ironically Golden State or you know, I think they had the better team on paper, and then they put two people who have been the best place on the team through games one and two around them. It's it does feel like, all right, guys, well now what if he can't, But.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: We're like they're gonna be The chances are they're gonna be up three to zero.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, yeah by the time this conversation, because so much.
Speaker 1: More has to Yeah, the MAVs have to do so much more, you know what I mean, Like the Celtics they can like not even get out of second gear and win this thing where like you need all those role players on the.
Speaker 4: Mavericks to do what they need to do.
Speaker 1: Kyrie has to come back and play like the person we saw because I mean even in Game two, I was like, okay, like Luca's doing the thing where he's gonna he's gonna put in a lot of effort in that first half and then hopefully Kyrie can be like, look I got you in the second, but that just when when that's not happening, you you really are did you start looking around like I don't know where it's gonna come from.
Speaker 4: So it's just real tough out here. It's real tough out here. Watching them do it like this.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, it's like they've been stuck and second gear and it hasn't been their day, there, month, or even their year.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: All right, let's uh, equal opportunity offenders. We should talk about the Lakers coaching hunt.
Speaker 4: Not going well.
Speaker 5: Incredible news for yukon recruiting.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and was did he allow the courtship to go on a little bit longer? So there was this big mainstream news story. Then he was like, you know what, I'm coming.
Speaker 4: Back baby Huskies forever.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine being like a five star high school recruit and being like this guy just turned down seventy million dollars from the Lakers, right right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was incredible recruiting Connecticut, Yeah, yeah, great recruiting. Personally, I think this was the best thing for both parties.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: We just haven't seen it work very often with college coaches going from like amazing top of the heaps success to the NBA. Stevens is the one example that kept coming up in my conversations about this, my extensive conversations about this, I was advising both sides. Now, I just you know, in talking to Miles and Jabari, like Stevens comes up. But I think when you're used to winning ninety percent of your games and they're only being like thirty something games, and then you go and you have to deal with all the you know, it's just a different level of player, different level of personality that you're dealing with, and then you're also like having to lose so much, and it's just like, I think college coaches tend to be a little too tightly wound. And if they're not like built too tightly wound, they're probably like it's just like too a guitar tuned to a different frequency. That's that's correct music speak, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me tune my guitar to this scale frequency.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, Like you have to be so tightly wound that you can't let a single mistake go by, and then you go to the NBA and you're like, yeah, you just have to be good at dealing with losses a lot of the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with that Laker team, could you imagine the two and eighteen start the inevitable timid eighteen right.
Speaker 4: Right with them, and then he's like, what's going on with these guys?
Speaker 5: The Lakers need the other example, the Lakers need one of two guys, right, Like, the Lakers need either a guy who's gonna come in and be like the pat Riley Eric Spolster tandem where it's like, this is my team, Lebron, and you play the basketball the way that we say it's play the basketball. So you either need that guy with that amount of authority ps. Dan Hurley does not have that authority over Lebron, right, or you need yeah exactly, or you need the guy that's going to come in and be like, oh, I'm gonna let Lebron coach the team for most of the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, like I actually agree with a lot of stuff he says.
Speaker 6: JJ Redick, JJ Reddick, because like the second that podcast start, I think a lot of Lakers is like He's He's like soft launching his head coaching job right now, right because he's like, Wow, they agree on everything and it sounds like this could be great.
Speaker 3: But I think Sam Cassel would be a good pick.
Speaker 2: I think JJ would be a better pick than Dan Hurley personally, that's my instinct.
Speaker 1: I think it just yeah, I don't know if I can handle the memes that again, that would happen to a rocky start with JJ Reddick being the head coach, But again that's just emotions, not necessarily what the results could be. I think I like the way he looks at the game, like sure, but it's just like that lack of pedigree in terms of getting players to buy into what you need to do at least to be like a somewhat effective head coach.
Speaker 4: That's rom a little bit like I don't know where you're where you're.
Speaker 2: Part of my hesitation with JJ Reddick as an NBA coach is just that he there's never been an NBA coach that looked like that, Like they're usually like I don't know, they're all like pop or they look like dorks, like you know, like they just looks kind of they don't they.
Speaker 3: Don't look like they're in a boy band.
Speaker 2: It was just something about him looking like he's like in a boy band that messes with my head where I'm like, nah, I can't be him.
Speaker 3: Right, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Who's got the full arm sleeve on that bench. I don't know, except for I.
Speaker 5: Don't want to. I don't want to feel bad for like James Brago, right, Like I don't want James Brago to get it and then him be fired in two years and you'd be like, oh, well, we didn't really even see James Brigo coach. That's not fair, because that's that's how I feeled a lot of the times with lebron coaches that I just feel bad for them at the end of their tenure. Yeah, and so I don't think I would feel bad for JJ Reddick.
Speaker 2: So so you're just like rooting for whoever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't mind seeing Phil? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, this follows the time honor tradition of following up a great Laker coach with a potential college coach, because yes, I am comparing Darvin Ham to Phil Jackson because after Phil left when after coach K and he wasn't.
Speaker 4: Into it either, So I get it.
Speaker 1: It's it's just a it feels like a it's a tough it's a tough one. The expectations are so high and you have like there's so much reactionary stuff happening around. They're like, yeah, I don't know if you'll ever get the fair shot to be like I just just you need time a little bit to get this thing to happen. But we're sort of in the era of like we need we need instant satisfaction and gratifications.
Speaker 4: It's it's a non starter.
Speaker 2: Well we got a little pickup basketball news and then well we'll take a break. Two pickup basketball stories. One Steph Curry just out here justtroying full.
Speaker 5: Lifetime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you know, playing at half speed. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I do wonder like is that beneficial in any way to his skills other than like just going through the motions at Like it reminds me of when in the off season, you know, when the Sixers still had Ben Simmons and we would see like these like half court workouts where he's like hooping in like three on three and like making shots, and people are like, Simmons been in the lab. And then it's like yeah, but different, not that like Steph needs any rehab or anything like that. But it does just like how I feel like that would mess you up, right, like playing with people who stink, Well.
Speaker 4: I think you're just such a hooper too.
Speaker 1: You're like, because apparently he was in the area for his daughter's volleyball tournament, Yeah, so that feels to me he's like, you know what, I got my tights, I got my shoes. You know, let me just let me see if there's some action over here really quick. Because he even hit one of these rec Center players with the night night.
Speaker 4: It was like, Steph, come on, man, they just leave them alone.
Speaker 1: That's where I'm like, you know what, maybe he really is just like just competitive animal like that. He's like, no, man, I hear a ball hitting park, Like my antenna goes up and I must be there, and you know what, anybody could get it equal.
Speaker 5: Some of those videos of like the people that were guarding Steph at Lifetime, it's like they were like getting down in the low stands. They were ready to go. They were like, this is my moment. And I really respect that because if that had been me on the other side and like Steph came in, I'd be like, well, I'm just not going to do anything. I'm not even gonna pretend like I'm guarding this. It's not real.
Speaker 1: Or you do it for like the thing the thrill, because you always when you watch these athletes, you're like, man, honestly, I would wonder what it would be like for me to try and guard Steph Curry, just so I know like how ill equipped my body is for that kind of task and just be like let me just see, like, oh yeah, he was right by me. Okay, all right, that's what I thought.
Speaker 3: I think I called the story before.
Speaker 2: When I was in high school, probably at the height of or near the height of like my basketball abilities. I was at the University of Kentucky basketball camp and Tony Delk eventually NBA fifty point scorer scored fifteen again, and is usually the example people point to is like do you believe that guy scored fifteen?
Speaker 4: Anyone can do it?
Speaker 2: But he was there, and you know, he was dribbling, and you know, just I was like messing around, and then I was like, all.
Speaker 3: Right, man, I'm going to try and like take the ball from him.
Speaker 2: And it was like watching a close up magic act, like it was he just what he was doing with the ball, just like putting it behind my ear, taking it like behind my back, like putting it behind his back, behind my back.
Speaker 4: A bouquet of flowers.
Speaker 2: He was like, all right, your turn, and I would dribble and he would take it away from me so easily, just literally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Give me that, Like I think you should exactly give me that.
Speaker 2: So I can't Yeah, I can't imagine, because you there is also the genre of video where it's like, you know, I think one happened this summer with your boy from the Heat, Tyler Herro. His name should be Kyle, your boy from the Heat, your friend, your favorite player getting cooked at a basketball camp. And I'm sure like every one of those players on that court with him, I had seen that video and is probably extra annoying. So that's probably a piece of context that we're lacking, is like what There's definitely at least one player on the other team who was talking cash garbage to him, you know, the whole game, so you know, him doing a nice little betty by time is probably warranted.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine if Steph pulled up to your like local pickup game and then he got like he's on the other team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, no, no, no, no, yeah, yeah, Like it's skins Verse shirts.
Speaker 4: I'll just tear my shirt off. I'm like, man, I don't know what you talk about.
Speaker 3: My shirt just broke on his team a.
Speaker 4: Pikachu chest tattoo.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't worry about it, man, Just don't let me get active in here.
Speaker 2: And then there was also just a great clip of uh coach Popovich cooking people out in La Fitness. Now some say it wasn't coach Popovich, but uh yeah it wasn't. But he looked a lot like him and just had the finest old man go yeah, uh fine bouquet on the on this uh finally aged wine of a game.
Speaker 5: I fully believe that kind of stuff happened. Like I think it was maybe like twenty thirteen, twenty four, twenty fourteen, fifteen, something like that. I watched Jerry West, who even at that point was old and he was there was like I think Steph Curry was having a camp. He was in Golden State. There's a bunch of kids around, and as he's talking and explaining how to shoot the perfect free throw, he's just standing at the free throw line and one handing free throws in just over and over again, like as he's explaining.
Speaker 3: It, not even looking at the rim.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not even looking making making twenty in a row, just looking at the kids, like this is how you do it? And I was watching it. I was like, these seven year olds do not understand the beauty.
Speaker 3: Of what is that you have magic powers?
Speaker 4: Yeah, They're like, how is camp?
Speaker 1: You're like this old guy kept shooting free throws and talking to us and it was it was boring.
Speaker 4: You're like, dude knows Jerry are right. Sure.
Speaker 2: There's a scene in Blue Chips where Bob Coozy and I think Nulty are having a conversation. I think Kozy plays the athletic director, and he's just banging free throw after free throw like as they're having the conversation, like casually and like barely moving, like it doesn't even look like he's trying or like moving his body. And Nalty's like, you ever gonna miss You're ever gonna miss one of these.
Speaker 3: Bob, And that was like real like he was during the course.
Speaker 1: It was like yeah, you know, because that wasn't They're like he just literally wouldn't miss.
Speaker 2: During Yeah, he was shot like he couldn't. We asked him to try to miss and he was like, I I don't know what you mean. Yeah, sorry, I know I missed one like back in the fifties once, but this, yeah I can't, I can't.
Speaker 3: Did you ever do you know?
Speaker 1: Do you do you remember they made like Skybox made blue Chips trading cards when the movie came out.
Speaker 4: Did you ever have a pack of those?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: His just called vic Roker because I remember having that and being like.
Speaker 1: What I got this like old dude with Yeah, yeah I want I want Boudreau, you know what I mean? But no, yeah, yeah, they had like a whole thing, like there were all these cards.
Speaker 4: I don't think they're worth much anymore.
Speaker 5: Of the podcast is only for the olds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, Skybox trading cards. You remember Beckett Magazine.
Speaker 3: The blue Chip, like the blue Light special.
Speaker 1: It's only for the old blue plate, blue.
Speaker 3: Plate, blue light, blue hair. You know. It works for us. No March, no March. Should we take a quick break and come back and do the rapid fire round?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we'll be right back and we're back stepped in at this time all my Todd, Yeah, bro.
Speaker 4: There we go. T you have you have wandered into the.
Speaker 1: Rapid fire round of questions the hast the question answered segment of all the sportsbackcasting history, Jack or I will ask you a question you will not think.
Speaker 4: You will just react.
Speaker 1: To give us your quickest, most concise answer, and if you slow the pace down of this segment, we will be rude.
Speaker 3: I usual even exactly, Yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Iron I'm so scared. I know that you can can't tell from a smile, but I'm really.
Speaker 4: I was just joking though. We won't be rude. Are you going to be scared?
Speaker 3: Are you mad at me? Do you think I'm going to be rude?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: My god, she hates us, Jack, she hates us, hates us.
Speaker 3: I knew we shouldn't have gone that hard mile.
Speaker 4: Yep, nope, you're right. Okay are you ready?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, good sir, Brian star Clock. This is gonna be really fast. Okay, so check do you want to go?
Speaker 3: Should I go first? Why don't you go first?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 5: Because I.
Speaker 4: Guess I go first.
Speaker 5: Okay, is this the fast part?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 4: Okay. You can't be rude to us now. I can't handle that. I cannot hand I condition it out, but I cannot take it. I'm a classic school yard bully.
Speaker 1: Look Sarah Cott, you can go back in time to personally win any NBA Finals matchup from history. However many games the series went, you got court side tickets.
Speaker 4: To every single one of them. Which NBA Finals matchup?
Speaker 1: Are you choosing and hopping in your doloreon to go see with your court side seats?
Speaker 5: I'm going to Larry Bird's first championship. That's crazy because I started this thing out being like, yeah, Boston doesn't need any more titles. I don't care if they lose. I love Larry Bird. I would love to watch him win, and uh, the idea of how much it pissed off the Lakers, I would love.
Speaker 2: Wow, Myles, that's your same answer too, I think right that.
Speaker 1: Was yeah, Yeah, that's I would say that too if I had If I if I had time travel capability, I would definitely use it to do that.
Speaker 4: That's what I would do with tears in my eyes because I'm so happy about.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Myles is stone faced, but they're just tears pouring down his face.
Speaker 4: Told this courage water.
Speaker 1: This is courage water coming out my eyes because I have so much courage my body doesn't know what to do.
Speaker 2: Sarah, we all agree, we want the Celtics to lose. We don't want, we don't want another Celtics Finals. We've just given you the magical power to recast this finals with a different Western Conference Finals team. Which team are you picking to defeat the Boston Celtics.
Speaker 5: I'm giving it to the Denver Nuggets.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 5: God, why didn't they win their Game seven? I know either in today's age, I just love watching yoga to play basketball. It is so much fun. And if for no other reason than just to get his comments after like winning the finals again and being like, well job done.
Speaker 4: God, yeah, wait there's parade. Yeah that's my favorite.
Speaker 5: Oh no, his face, the amount of disappointment when he was like, whin's the parade and they're like it's Thursday and he's like no, no, no, no, it can't be true.
Speaker 3: Different.
Speaker 2: Is there another Western Conference team that you feel like would have actually given given the Celtics a better game than Dallas?
Speaker 3: Because I feel like I got another one.
Speaker 5: I mean, what's yours? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Lakers?
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm not even feeling that. Broka. I don't think I could handle it.
Speaker 3: The Los Angeles Lakers, all right.
Speaker 5: I have a lot of fondness. I have a lot of fondness for Mike Conley, and so I was really hoping for good things for him because it's just not a more deserving person in the NBA. But you could put him on any team and I'd root for Mike Conley.
Speaker 1: So, Sarah, what is one moment or game from NBA history you wish Twitter had been around for.
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 5: The Willis Reid moment would have been hilarious. Yeah, probably a lot of really good memes for that one, right, Jordan pushing off? Oh my god, Oh that would have been yeah, Twitter nuts.
Speaker 1: Oh the amount of like, yeah, I could already see just the whatever movie scenes people are going to intercut with that.
Speaker 4: That that last shot, it was gonna reach a tragedy.
Speaker 2: Now see, outside of Utah, that is known as the shot, but inside of Utah that's known as the push off.
Speaker 5: One of the things when I first moved to Utah and started covering the Jazz, I had told people like, I just don't think I can ever admit that Jordan didn't push off. I think I just have to keep that to my since then I've just become public and I mean number one and admitted that Jordan didn't push off.
Speaker 2: So it's fine now, But okay, Yeah, the Flu game is known as the Blue game? What's that known as in Utah? The perfectly fine Pepperoni Pizza game, The drama Queen game.
Speaker 5: That would have been so good on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see, like, yeah, just making fun of Brian Wilson, like years later, he's getting that tatted on his body like memento.
Speaker 4: He's like, Michael Jordan pushed off of you that game.
Speaker 2: Like exactly exactly Brian Wilson for the Beach Boys, I mean Brian Russell like me too.
Speaker 5: I was like, why are the Beach Boys in this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh you don't know you're also on Twitter.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, those are called good vibrations, by the way, those.
Speaker 3: Are yea, all good vibes.
Speaker 2: We've seen teams like Memphis, ok SE and Orlando each take that next step over the last few years. What is a team or two you think you expect to take a leap next season?
Speaker 5: It's probably like a cop out. But the Spurs, like just the Victor Wimben Yama ascendants into playoff basketball is what I expect and then for the rest of the West to absolutely lose their minds over that. Yeah, that would be very fun. I would I mean, I'd like to see Orlando take another leap right like, that's a that's a really fun team. I worry because I've never seen them do anything good since since white Heart and Reddick. Yeah, like I've never I've never seen it, So I worry that they just might not do it. But that would be a very fun team to do it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: The Spurs in Orlando are the correct answers you have once again one rapid the rapid fire question. The only person that went returning champion. Thank you so much for joining us. Where can we find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 5: You can find me on all the socials at NBA Sarah. You can read my stuff at Deseret dot com. That's d E. S E R E T. Lots of Ease, And you can listen to my pod Unsalvageable so Utah Jazz Podcast, And we also take listener questions about advice, life book wrecks. It's the off season, you guys.
Speaker 4: So yeah, no, I get it.
Speaker 1: No, we're about to enter that too, and we're here you talking about our favorite shoelaces of all time?
Speaker 4: Oh? Man, yeah, do you remember those? Remember eighty eight or the Little Ladies First Game.
Speaker 5: Recently we had a conversation about how the playoff commercials timeout commercials are ruining our lives because now I am just like singing the Pepto Bismol theme song. Yeah, and I've got the old NBC theme basketball slash snl skit stuck in my head because Kevin Hard is dancing to it, so I just sang b B bu busball.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, got to man, give.
Speaker 2: Me the ball because I'm gonna don't get Yeah, I am amazing. Well, you can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore Obrian, how about you, Miles oh Me?
Speaker 1: You can find me at Miles of Gray there on Twitter, and you can also follow us at the hashtag mad Boosty's BA sd I e s for show links and updates, and you can also find out about how to join the Discord, where you will occasionally pop in and say, hey, we got a last minute, very special guests.
Speaker 4: Any questions you think we should ask them?
Speaker 1: Uh? And you will soon find out if you saw the discord, we have a very special one coming up.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we encourage you to check that out as always. Thanks so much for listening. Uh And by the.
Speaker 3: Next time we talked to you, there, yeah, might be a new champ.
Speaker 4: I think there might be a champ.
Speaker 3: And we'll see, We'll think almost definitely there will be a new I think.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 5: Can I say again you guys have gotten mad boosties.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And I have been just jumping like a pogo stick this entire time, in no way of begging for that compliment, but you've just.
Speaker 4: Been spamming the chat windows like mad Lucy. Just copy past over and over and over and over again. All right, y'all, we'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Take care, Bye bye,