Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers that goes beyond sound bites and headlines and looks deeper into their processes, challenges, and philosophies and security selection. I'm David Cohne, I lead mutual fund and active Research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Today my co host is James Seyffert, ETF, analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. James, thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy to be back, David, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: So, James, we've talked about Buffer ETFs in the past, but how are they doing in terms of flows this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, I mean I think of Buffer's ETFs in this like broader category of like these you know a lot of derivative based products that are either like seeking some sort of income or some sort of protection or some sort of accelerated ye. But within Buffer specifically, that's probably the most successful within that deridit of landscape. And I think they've taken in a little over ten billion this year. I mean, if you look at the category, I mean, it didn't exist a few years ago and now we're looking I consider it like a fifty billion dollar category for buffers overall. So no matter how you slice it like this has been a smashing success and honestly like this is something that our team has been looking at and covering for a long time now. But yeah, this this is finding its home in the ETF industry and it's doing really well.
Speaker 1: Nice well. I think it'd be a great time to bring on our guests. We'd like to welcome Burke Ashington to the podcast. Burke is director of Capital Markets at Innovator ETFs. Burke, thanks for joining us today.
Speaker 4: Great to be here, guys, James David, it's pleasure.
Speaker 1: So Burt, can you tell us a little bit about your career and how you got started in the ETF industry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, happy to I've known James and the ETF team at Bloomberg for a few years here. Before my tenure at Innovator, started on a trade desk, so it was CASEG Holdings. It then became Virtuo Financial, an ETF market making firm, so cut my teeth on the trading desk. I love that fast paced environment, competitive atmosphere. And you know, Virtuo Financial specializes in ETF trading, so our desk did a lot of arbitrage ETF trading, ETF block trading, so more of a technical start, I would say, on the ETF side, and it kind of gave me a background grounded in ETF pricing, how the ETFs are structured, but also got a little bit of a glimpse into how to launch an ETF because you're the l m M or lead market maker and typically provided c capital for a lot of ETFs that were brought to market. So after Virtuo Financial, I kind of went over to the dark side, as we like to say, the ETF issuer side, and went to Direction ETFs and that's where I got my first taste of derivatives within the ETF rapper. Direction specializes in the leveraged and inverse funds, a really interesting firm. I'm on the forefront of innovation there, but focus more on the tactical trading crowd. But you know, I saw there kind of the writing on the wall that derivatives in the ETF rapper were still in the early stages. You could use them to leverage returns accelerate your upside, but you could also use them to insert protection in the ETF rapper. So you know, from there I got put in touch with more of a startup ETF firm innovator Capital Management was the name. They were based in Wheaton, Illinois. I was looking for an earlier stage ETF firm and got put in touch with them and ended up being sort of the first product hire undergrad Day are now CIO and we can talk more about Innovator in a second. But we're doing some pretty disruptive stuff over here.
Speaker 1: Great. Well, actually, let's you know, as you talked, you mentioned Innovator. What's the innovator story?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Innovator has a really interesting story. You know, Bruce Bond and John Southard are found So Bruce Bond and John Southard, we're the original founders of Power Shares ETF ETF's trail breke blazers in the ETF market. They really pioneered the segments like smart, Beta, the matic, even household names like the cues, so they were first to market with a lot of those names. They sold that business to Investo around two thousand and six and they retired. They went into retirement pseudo retirements, and one of them was pitched a structured note in retirements, and that's where the story gets really interesting. The light bulb sort of went off and they said, you know what, there may be a better way to package this risk managed exposure that we see in structured notes ryla's annuities, that type of risk managed exposure that's typically only existed facing a single counterparty like a bank or an insurance company. How can we deliver that kind of exposure in the ETF wrapper? And we know you know, you guys know this better than anyone. The ETF rapper delivers liquidity, tax efficiency, transparency, lower costs. So really Innovator's mission is to disrupt the structured product annuity hedge fund industries by trying to provide superior outcomes in the ETF rapper for those reasons that we mentioned before. So our entire business is built around delivering risk managed payoffs in a very easy to digest, inexpensive, transparent rapper.
Speaker 3: I want to add real quick something that brick kind of glossed over there. We in Illinois as like a small Midwest town, and it's probably got on a per capita basis the most amount of dollars in the asset management industry of any place in the world. It's an ETF capital. I mean, like, as you mentioned, power Shares are now owned by Invesco, is based there first trust based there. Innovator now twenty plus billion dollar firm based there. Amplify ETFs, which also bought another ETF firm, is based there. So there's a lot of people from coming out of Wheaton College and Illinois that are based in the ETF industry.
Speaker 2: It's a powerhouse. So people probably heard wheat in Illinois and don't know, but it really is.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of people that are based out there in this industry.
Speaker 1: Well, you talked about, you know, just aid Innovator. I'd really love to learn how defined outcome ETFs work at Innovator.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, happy to so defind out come ETFs. Like I mentioned before, we pioneered this category, so we launched the first ETF in twenty eighteen. It was our fifteen percent buffer. To this day, it remains one of the most popular ETFs in our suite. So I'll use a fifteen buffer as the example as we go through this. But just how do they work and what is their function? So defined out COMEDTF isn't really anything new, right, Like, these types of payoffs have existed in the structured note rapper for many years, but we simply kind of shepherded that exposure over into the ETF rapper. So there's three things that you need to know when you're talking about a defined out COMEDTF. The first this is BTF has an outcome period, so that's a specific set of time. It could be three months or a quarter. It could be one year, it could be two years. That is the time over which the defined outcome exists. Then you have your protection that could be a buffer or a barrier against losses, which we'll talk about more in a moment that cushions you against losses, protects you in the fifteen percent buffer example I gave that buffers you from zero to negative fifteen percent. So over a one year outcome period in the ETF, a tick orrell I'll throw out is poct. That's our fifteen percent buffer on the S and P five hundred that ETF is designed to deliver you point to point exposure to the S and P five hundred its price return over one year with a fifteen percent buffer against losses. And then the third component that I'll mention is there's an upside cap, so there's no free lunch with the product. Even though you have a buffer against losses, you're going to have a cap on the upside So if the market finishes down twenty percent at the end of that one year, you're going to be down five percent in the fifteen percent buffer ETF. If the market is down ten percent, you're buffered. You're completely covered. The buffer did what it was supposed to do, and you were flat. Now on the upside, you're going to track one to one with the price return of SPY. So let's say you have a twelve percent upside cap in that ETF. If the market's skyrockets and is up thirty percent over that one year, you're going to hit your cap. You're going to be capped out, as we like to say an innovator, and your return is going to be twelve percent. But if the market finishes up five you're going to be up five. You're going to track one to one with that ETF over that outcome period. So again, outcome period, protection level, and upside cap or those three core components.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's let's get into this little bit the buffer version of the defined outcome products.
Speaker 2: Those are the first ones that really.
Speaker 3: Caught fire, But you have a bunch of other defined outcome type products that are focused on income, accelerated returns, full protection on the downside, different floors. Can you just go into like the differences between how they're structured and what those different things are trying to do your your other products, I guess besides just the buffer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, definitely. So defined out come ETFs is kind of the umbrella, right, like everything lives under the defined out com ETF umbrella. You're launching different segments under that umbrella. So buffers, for instance, provide you a buffer against losses. We mentioned this before. Once you move below the buffer level, you start to take on those losses one to one, but if you finish anywhere in that buffer, you're covered. A barrier is a little bit different, So we offer barrier income ETFs. That's a very popular type of structured notes, and again we're bringing that to the ETF rapper. Now that type of solution offers a set amount of income on the upside, so we sell options you have a set income level on the upside, so you're not going to track the price return of the index. You're just going to have that set income level. But your protection is a barrier. So a barrier is a little bit different than a buffer in that the barrier is protection in place, but if you fall below the barrier, you've now assumed all losses, including up until the barrier and beyond the barrier. So just put some numbers to it. A fifteen barrier, if the market finished down twenty, you're going to be down in twenty because you kind of locked into that barrier. You're taking on all the losses once you went through the barrier level Versus with a fifteen buffer, if the market was down twenty, you're just going to be down five. So you can imagine since there's more risk with the barrier, you're compensated a little bit more on the upside. But to be honest with you, James, you know most of the assets are in the buffers, most of the interest is in the buffer space right now. But we are beginning to see interest in barriers and accelerated.
Speaker 2: Awesome, So can you talk a little bit.
Speaker 3: You mentioned like these outcome periods, and like everything I see for the most part right now, seems to be following these one year outcome periods. Right, what is the rebalance frequency? So on those obviously it's one year, Like what are you seeing are you seeing interest in? Like we're interested in one month outcome period three month out comperiods, multi year. I mean you talk about direction, those leverage ETFs right now, we see some issuers toying with doing things longer than leverage on a daily basis. So those direction products that offer you three times a return of something or inverse return, it only tracks it for a day. You guys are going the opposite where like you're kind of only offering this thing over year. Like, are you seeing interest in other areas of those outcomeperiods?
Speaker 4: We are, Yeah. So we started with annual outcome periods, and again our strategies are more defensive in nature, is totally separate from a direction or appro shares. That being said, we started with one year. We've seen a lot of interesting quarterly outcome periods and the reason for that is there's a more frequent reset. So advisors, for instance, if they buy a one year outcomperiod and let's say the market moves up three months in the market's up ten or fifteen percent, that ETF that is a one year out comperiod has now moved up and has experienced some of its cap into that one year out comperiod. So if you were to buy into that ETF three months into the one year out comperiod, you actually now have a little bit of downside right and you have a little bit less cap. So that's why we typically see volume cluster around the beginning or the end of the outcome period, at least for our annual products. The reason we've seen quarterly outcome periods explode in popularity these are tickers like balt b alt zalt zlt is because of that more frequent reset, James, And that's that's really useful because advisors have money coming in throughout the year, so they don't necessarily always want to worry about do I buy this specific annual outcome period that's resetting in March. Do I need to buy a different annual outcome period resetting in August. Instead of lattering those they say, you know what, I'm just going to use a quarterly outcome period product, and when that money comes in throughout the year, I know that in the next month, two or three months, it's going to be resetting and getting a fresh downside buffer and a fresh upside cap.
Speaker 1: We're talking about the different kinds of buffer ETFs and the different options, but I'd love to hear, and I know our listeners would love to hear how these ETFs are actually managed. You know, what are the steps that the pms take to implement these strategies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we innovator is the advisor. Our subadvisor is Milliman Financial Risk Management, so we partner with them to bring these ETFs to market. They manage the day to day trading of these funds, and they have significant experience working with the largest bank and insurance balance sheets and derivatives. So the process is actually really simple, David. So the benefit of the ETF for APPER, as we mentioned before, the liquidity, the tax efficiency, the reset. So I'm going to double click on the reset here because it's really cool. We talked about outcome periods. What separates these ETFs from a traditional structured note. So at the end or xpery of a structured note, let's say it's one year, two years, or five years or six months at xpery, that is a taxable event that note comes due. That is a taxable event for the investor or the advisor and their client with the ETF at the end of the outcome period, at the end of that one year or three month out comperiod, it resets within the wrapper. So what that means is we're going to roll the exposure at the end of one year, and we're going to move into a new basket of options with a one year xpree. That process of either selling we're letting those options expire if they're in a lass position. In rolling into a new options basket is not a taxable event that occurs within the ETF wrapper. So it's not tax avoidance, it's tax deferral. We're deferring those gains to the future. But the benefit for you is the investor, is when you buy that ETF at the end of that outcome period, there's nothing that you need to do, absolutely nothing. You're going to get a fresh buffer and a fresh upside cap and you can hold the ETF in perpetuity and you decide when you want to experience that taxable event when you sell the ETF. So what actually happens behind the scenes on that reset day To answer your question, we move in and is that ETF approaches the end of its outcome period. On the final trading day of that outcome period, we close out that basket of options typically four options, which we can get into in a moment, and we roll into a new basket of options with a new one year expery and then even though these are classified as active ETFs, there's really no active management that's occurring. It's all systematic in nature. So once we strike those options at the beginning of the outcome period, that set of options with that xpery and those strikes are not going to change. Those will going to be the exact same options for the entirety of the outcome period. The only thing that's going to change is the quantity of the options in the basket when we see creations or redemptions in the ETF.
Speaker 3: So we've talked a lot of high level about like what these things offer in the outcome periods and the caps and the floors, but like, can you get into a little more detail you kind of hinted at there, and like what exactly is in these portfolios, like what is being held and how are you generating these you know, defined outcomes for these funds.
Speaker 4: So the magic really occurs in the flex options. So if you look under the hood, you peel back the onion of a defined out com ETF. We talked about a fifteen percent buffer earlier. We're going to stick on that. You'll see four options. The first is it deep in the money call that's going to act like you're one to one exposure to spy. You're going to have your protection, which is a put spread, typically an at the money put and then another puts sold about fifteen percent lower, and then we have a call on the upside that we sell, and we sell that call on the upside and that's what sets our cap for the outcome period. We're going to sell that call at the highest level that we can to set the cap that will perfectly finance the protection or the buffer that we have in place with those puts. So typically four options in that basket. They are exchange traded in their flex options, So flex is easy for your listeners. Flex is flexible. What that means is that we can customize the tenor we can customize the strike price. And the reason that we do that is we want to be able to communicate a perfect fifteen percent a perfect thirty percent buffer for our clients. And you know, putting on my market making have for a second. You know, these these ETFs and these options trade very similarly to like a listed option, So a flex option is really eased to hedge those market makers that are out there they've told me. It's kind of like a Swiss army knife. Of ways that you can hedge our ETFs. You can use spy, you can use spy options, you can use index options. The critical takeaway for your listeners is that the basket is hyper liquid. If you look under the hood of these ETFs, you'll see a basket of flex options tracking the most liquid equity benchmarks in the world. So spy iwm q's efa ee M, we're tapping into all of those liquid benchmarks with our flex options. So don't be to turn if you look into the basket and you see options. Remember they're tracking the most liquid benchmarks. They're very simple to hedge, and the proof's kind of in the pudding because if you look at the ds on screen, James, you'll see they're like fifteen to twenty basis points, which is super tight across the ETF landscape for ETFs.
Speaker 1: So how much of this is automated?
Speaker 4: Good question, Almost all of it, I would say systematic. So kind of an anecdote is when I was on the desk at Virtue, RFQs were just kind of getting their start. That's a Bloomberg turmoil. They're out there but it stands for requests for quote. And one of the things that we did when I was a trader on that desk is we were getting quotes from people all day long, people paying us saying I need to buy fifty thousand shares of this ETF eighty thousand shares of this ETF, and those quotes would hit the market making desks and they typically would put market makers in competition when an advisor or an institution wants to purchase a big block of an ETF, So our job as a market maker was we have to give them a competitive quote. The problem was is that ETF became really popular and everybody wanted a quote all the time. So what we did was we found a way to automate the response to RFQs a request for quotes. And now if you look across the ETF marketplace, if we have advisors on the call, if they custody at Schwab or the custody at Fidelity, that entire process is automated. They go to their block desk at one of those custodial firms, or if you're an institution, you go to a custodian or a market maker and you can get a nearly instantaneous quote back on an ETF block trade, and that's because of the automation of the request for quote process. So options, it's a relatively similar process in what we're doing. We go out there whenever we reset the funds, and we use an auction, and we go out to five or six different option market makers and we request a quote on the options package. And this is a cool caveat. We actually trade the options as a package. Instead of going out there and trading each individual options, leg Innovator goes out and gets a quote on that entire options package. And the thing I like to say is that we have economies of scale and we actually have the attention of these big options market makers like Susquehanna, Old Mission, Goldman, Sachs, Jane Street. So what we found is that we're actually able to get a significantly higher cap for our investors than if they tried to do this on their own. And that's what I talked to about with institutions, pensions, endowments. We say, you know what, you can try to mimic this yourself, but you'll typically get a lower cap than you would get if you use the innovative product because of our economies of scale. And to top of that, David and James, nobody wants to manage options. That's the feedback that we've gotten. It's Harry. It creates operational difficulties. So if you can get that risk managed exposure in the etf rapper, it's a win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I find that, Like when I talk with people about these, they're like, oh, I can just do this myself, And I'm like, go ahead.
Speaker 2: If you can figure out how to do it, go ahead.
Speaker 3: But I guess my next question is something you just hit to a real quick, Like can you talk about like how the cap is determined? Like, obviously options pricing are determined by you know, a whole host of different things, applied volatility, interest rates, time to expirey, you name it, the underlying asset. So like, how is the cap actually determined? You said you can get a higher cap, but like, can you go into like the math of why you can get a higher cap than most individuals and like what goes into calculating that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, without going to in the weeds, I think there are a couple things that go into it. So, first of all, are size, right, So when you hit a certain critical size. We are now rebalancing billions of dollars in options each month. I mentioned spread costs before, So James, if you were to go and buy options on screen right now, you could see what that spread cost would be, and you'd have to calculate the spread of the listed options for each individual leg We typically are going to pay around twenty to thirty percent of that spread cost, which means that we have more options budget to spend on that specific package, so we're paying less and spread cost that's going to contribute to a higher cap. On top of that, we typically get superior pricing on a fifteen percent buffer. We recently modeled that we get between one and two percent, so around one and a half percent. We'll call it higher cap than if you tried to do this exact same payoff yourself using listed options, So a significantly higher cap that not only is larger than the management fee that we charge, but also just gives you additional upside for your investors. So I would say spread cost is a main determinant. Economies of scale is another determinants in generally those market maker relationships that we built over the course of the past six seven years of doing this are a large contributor.
Speaker 3: So this is like we've talked about like the pros almost exclusively here, right. Obviously there are some cons in the fact if you go through the buffer, particularly with the buyer ETF. But like one con that I know of. You mentioned price return multiple times, So these things aren't total return. So can you go into one why you're using price return and not total return? So incomes aren't accounted for here? And like what other cons are you like seeing most people worried about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know from our perspective there are cons. I guess the con that would come to my mind is you know your captain the upside. But in my mind that's not a true con. The mistake that I see James across the industry, and I see articles all the time, and I think there's a little bit of a misconception here. People compare the buffer ETF to the reference asset. So they'll compare a fifteen percent buffer to spy. They'll pull up a chart of twenty years and they'll say this ETF underperforms. But I think there's kind of just a fundamental misunderstanding of what the investment objective is of the ETF. It's designed to deliver risk managed exposure. It's designed to deliver that defined outcome. If you move below the buffer, James, yes, you're going to take on one to one downside, but you're still going to outperform if you had just held unheadged equities. So you know, from my perspective, the risk managed, the risk managed exposure is built into the structure, and I think folks that have usedtructured product, they get that, they're familiar with it. Another thing that's come up, James, is what if we buy the ETF in the middle of the outcome period. What if we buy it at the wrong time, what if we buy it in the markets up, I buy it six months into the twelve month outcome period and I have downside. And we, as kind of the pioneer in the space, have put a ton of effort into our website and our tools. So if you go to our website, I would encourage folks to go to innovator ETFs dot com. We've designed five different tools, a potential outcome analyzer, a previous outcome analyzer, a personal outcome analyzer to help you make sure that you're getting in at the right point the outcome is exactly what you would expect it to be and avoid any of those situations. So those are the potential pitfalls that we've heard raised, but those are easily addressable if you use some of our tools.
Speaker 3: So I guess my next question would be, like when rates were really low, when these things launched, the main thing I saw people thinking about doing was if you had a sixty to forty portfolio taken like a small slug of their fix income and putting into these because the risk was not nearly as high as just going full equity, and they were trying to juice their returns because they didn't have any income from their fix income. Right now, rates are high, people have no problem getting income, but you guys are still pulling in assets. I guess, like, what are you seeing people actually doing in the allocation side of this, Like where are they taking it from? Are they taking it from an alts bucket? Are they take it from the equity bucket fixed income? Like what what are you seeing happening? And what type of allocations are we seeing? Because I would say like people should not be substituting their core equity exposure with these things, But it makes sense in some regard like to take maybe some of it if you're worried about risk over the next year term or something like that.
Speaker 2: But how are you seeing people actually use these things?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Great, great question. So sixty twenty twenty is a phrase that we've thrown around recently. We just published a white paper on it. So, if you go back to COVID rates went to zero, we saw a ton of people move a lot of their bond exposure into buffers to get more upside. They had squeezed all the juice out of their bond allocation. They said, okay, we're going to take some of that bond exposure and we're going to put it into a buffer. Then we saw rates go up, right, and something really interesting happened, James, and this is why our product suite really can stand the test of time in volatility and rates. When rates went up, certain segments of our suite became very appealing. So, for instance, we launched the first one hundred percent buffer ETFs last year, which is basically a principally protected note equivalent in the ETF wrapper, and rates were a key determinants of the upside cap in that ETF, so you were able to get around a nine to ten percent upside cap to the s and P five hundred with full principal protection, which was around two times what you were getting in treasuries at the time. So the rate environment actually helped products like that, and we saw one hundred percent buffer ETFs used as sort of a cash substitute, cash compliment, get that cash off the sidelines, but in sort of a core allocation. Where does it fit We view these ETFs for conservative investors, pre retirees, retirees. We see folks pulling our thirty percent buffer or our bolts, our quarterly twenty percent buffer, taking some of their bond exposure and putting it in that highly defensive buffer ETF to get more upside. The key thing to James Is and David is taxes. This is something that keeps coming up. There are ETFs now in the marketplace that it will not be named, that are almost designed for that purpose to deliver you just the price return and avoid that. It's a nice consequence of the buffer ETFs that we are not paying the dividends. We actually use that dividend to finance a higher upside cap for our investors, So we don't ever intend to pay out any sort of capital gains distribution in the fund. These funds are designed to deliver that price return, and that's intentional because clients don't want to pay taxes. They want to insulate that they want to defer taxes in the fund until the future points and that's the benefit of the buffers. So James I would say hadged equity conservative equity bond replacement. We kind of see it run the gamut depending on the buffal level.
Speaker 3: Alsome one last quick question before I hand it over to Dave. You you talked about like there's other indices. From the most part of what I'm seeing, all the assets are for the most part in like S and P five hundred of these products. So when we're talking about the index of the underline track is the SMP five hundred. But you mentioned flex options are available on a bunch of other underlying indices. I know you guys have tried with other different assets. Are you where are you seeing demand? You're seeing demand anywhere other than the S and P five hundred. Are you going to hopefully are you looking to launch other products at some point tracking underlying different underlying indices?
Speaker 2: Where else are you looking to do these.
Speaker 4: We are Yeah, that's spot on. So the majority of the assets now live I think it's over eighty percent live in the S and P five hundred complex. That being said, we are far and away the largest provider when it comes to the other indices, and by other I mean Developed Markets EFA, Emerging Markets EEM, small Caps IWM, TLT, as well as Deck one hundred, the cues. We have monthly offerings on all of those ETFs, so fifteen percent buffers on all of those ETFs with one year outcome periods. We recently launched quarterly outcome periods with a ten percent buffer on all of those. And to be honest with you guys, the growth there is accelerating even faster than the S and P five hundred complex. Over the past two years, each of those reference assets, just to put it in perspective, is approaching around a billion dollars, so a lot smaller than the big pie, which is fifty billion. But the reason that people are buffering those indices is that they've typically underperformed like the small caps. Like people have. People have been trying to time small caps for a long time. Advisors have been in institutions, have been a little bit tenuous when it comes to investing in those. So we say, if you're considering it, use a buffer avoid market timing, and if you're incorrect, you have that built in protection in place.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 3: You mentioned TLT, but we talked about a bunch of equityts that's a long duration treasury ETF for those that aren't sure what TLT is. So they're doing this on fixed income too.
Speaker 1: So I was going to say before we let you go, I actually have a question, and you know, it kind of relates to what we were just talking about, and so you mentioned all these other indexes and so you know, my question is, really, do you have any predictions for the future of buffer ETFs? And you know, part of that is, you know, could there be a situation where there are flex options on other types of indexes, even you know, maybe smart beta you know, to try to you know, do a buffer on a smart beta index, or you know, just general predictions for the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is this is really exciting. You know, when we think about the total addressable market at Innovator, we really look at structured products is our north star. When we think about new products, we look at what's selling in the structured node space. We think about what it makes sense in the ETF wrapper, do advisors actually want it? We speak to advisors a lot here, and advisor demand drives the majority of our product. Looking at the numbers, David, So around three hundred and eighty billion, I think was the number last year in annuity sales across growth and protection hedge funds. Don't even get me started. I think there's like three trillion across the hedge fund space. Rylas, which are more of an index linked annuity type product, those sold about fifty billion last year and they're growing too. This year. I think the expectations are that those numbers are going to be twenty to thirty percent higher than they were in twenty twenty three. So what does that tell me? That tells me that if the structured note world is still selling like hotcakes, we think we have a better mouse trap that's more transparent, scalable, better for advisors and institutional practices at Innovator. So you know, the space is at fifty billion right now. I can you could add a zero, I think to that AUM in the next five to ten years. If we get to the place that we want to be in terms of investor education and delivering on what we're supposed to.
Speaker 1: Well, this is great. Burke, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 4: It was a pleasure. Guys, thanks for having me and James.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being my co host.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy to do it. This is fun. I love talking about this.
Speaker 1: Stuff until our next episode. This is David Cohne with Inside Active