Speaker 1: Samsung launches new products, including two new foldable phones. Two major wireless carriers introduce a sneaky new fee Will it appear on your bill? The app that lets you pay medical bills just by taking a picture of them. It is seriously cool. Plus your tech questions answered? What is going on? I'm Rich jamiro and this is rich on Tech. This show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be easy, helpful, fun and inspiring. Phone lines are open at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Kim is standing by. Give me a call. If you have a question about technology. Email is also open. You can send it to hello at Richontech dot TV. Well, if you follow me on social media, you know that I am fresh off the plane from Korea. Spent the week there in Seoul, South Korea at Samsung Galaxy Unpacked. This is where they launched two new foldable smartphones, new smart watches, and new do they call them smart tablets? Well they're smart so new tablets as well. What a trip? International travel is always so much work, but I don't think I've ever gone on a trip where I don't learn something new. It's also such a great way to just expose yourself to an entirely different world. We get so caught up in the things that happen here in America that it is. It gives you so much perspective to be in another place. And I will tell you one thing I learned is that I don't think I've ever felt more privileged to be able to talk to you, because there are so many things that you can do in this world, and to be able to sit here and talk technology and to be able to experience this stuff and report back to you is really an honor that I take very seriously. And I've never been more excited because just talking to my tech friends on this trip, it's so interesting the stuff that we do, and we're all pretty much the same, by the way. I will tell you that just talking to other friends that cover this stuff, we are all similar. Let's put it that way. Coming up on the show, we've got some great guests. We're going to talk to Drew blackerd He is the vice president of Mobile Product Management at Samsung Electronics America. Drew is the guy that's typically on stage announcing these products, and so it's quite an honor to be able to speak to him. Jimi Rivera of Pocket now HEIMI reviews just about every gadget. He does daily tech updates on YouTube, and I had the honor of sitting next to him on the plane. We didn't plan that, but we said, you know what, if we're sitting next to each other, we're doing an interview. So you're gonna hear the first interview on this radio show from thirty five thousand feet up in the air, and Bobo's probably wondering, I wonder how that's going to sound. It sounds pretty good. You might hear some food being served in that. You know that that airline button in the sound that ding in the background. And then later in the show, I'm going to take you to the Apple Store. Can't all be Samsung. I'm gonna take you to the Apple Store in downtown Los Angeles for the Code with Clossy demo day. Met up with some amazing students there learning to code and they were showing off their apps. And that's a great program if you have a teenager in your life. You definitely want to learn about that. Let me tell you a bit about Soul. So Soul interesting city, old meats new. I could not believe how large and sprawling this city was. I mean Los Angeles. We've got some pockets of skyscrapers, you know, maybe downtown, Century City, a couple other places. I'm not kidding. We went up to this tower. You look out three hundred and sixty degrees around you. There are just skyscrapers and housing everywhere. It was truly incredible. This is a city that is forward thinking when it comes to technology, but also rooted in a lot of history. And one thing that was interesting there, you know, North Korea is very close. I did not go to North Korea. I did not try to sneak in, but they do these things called DMZ tours, and here in La we have TMZ Tours, DMZ Meet TMZ. We stayed in downtown Seoul. Samsung very much a big part of that city. So Samsung is everything. Samsung, LG, Kia, Hyundai. These are businesses that are based in Korea and it is part of the daily life there. I mean, LG runs a cell phone network. Samsung has apartment buildings, with their name on it. Kia, Hyundai, Genesis cars everywhere everywhere and they look really cool. By the way, what I see the Genesis It was like an EV that was really really cool looking. I think it had eighty in the name, but it was really nice. I got to look into that one. What else do we do? We went to Samsung's headquarters, so they call it Digital City. It's so big, there's so many buildings. They have a museum on site, so we looked in the museum. We got to see the history of Samsung, which started out as I believe, a textile company in like nineteen thirty nine or something like that, and they started doing electronics in the sixties and of course TVs, video cameras, computers, air conditioners, I mean, they make it all there, so we got to see all of that stuff. Where we stayed, there was a giant mall underground. I mean, I'm talking the largest mall in Asia is underground and it was incredible. And inside this mall, in the center, the centerpiece of it all, which is so ironic, is a giant bookstore. And the bookstore is something out of Harry Potter. There's just books lined up to the ceiling, but it's like, you know, I don't know how many stories, three stories, four stories, and there's a giant tree in the middle with books on it. So you got to check out my Instagram at rich On Tech. I'm going to put a highlight of my trip so you can see everything that I posted there, because, as a producer, Bobo said, it was a lot. It was a lot to keep up with. But you know what, it's one of those things where I want to remember what I did and I want to bring that to.
Speaker 2: You as well.
Speaker 1: This was the first trip that I did not take any cash out of an ATM or exchange money. I typically bring some sort of money with me in the foreign currency just in case I need it, because I was stuck in Tokyo one time, and sometimes you need to get a train ticket and you may not be able to use a debi or credit card. And this happened to me once and I was not able to take cash out of the ATM in Japan because my debit card was not working there and I was stuck. And I'm not going to say I had to jump a turnstyle, but I may be wanted in Tokyo. Let's just put it that way, but I had to do what I had to do, and I ran right to the ATM and got money out because not every ATM worked back then with my card. So this was the first trip because at Lax, when I left, both ATMs and the terminal were not dispensing cash, so I couldn't get cash, and it just wasn't a thing. I wasn't going to go to the money exchange. I said, you know what, I'm going to take my chances and I was able to use my credit I did use a credit card there because they didn't charge me a what's like a little exchange fee. My debit card charges an exchange fee, so I didn't want to pay an extra one percent, so I use my credit card. I also used tap to pay, which was pretty much everywhere, so set up tap to pay on your phone. It's safe, it's secure, it's convenient. I don't know if I recommend not having any cash. I had some American money on me, but it's one of those things where you just never know. Now the train, I took a bus to the hotel and they did take a credit card, so that that worked out. Ah what else, Oh little travel tip on your bag, your luggage, your backpack. Put something unique on there. So on your travel bag, like my backpack is black. Every single backpack in the world is black. So how do you know it's mine. Well, I put a little pin on there so I can identify that it's mine. But also it's not just me that needs to identify it. It's you. If you're picking up a bag on a baggage carousel, or if there's a whole bunch of backpacks by the hotel, you know you left it with the bellman, the bell person. You know, you want to be able to identify your bag quickly, So put something that is unique on there. Put something that's identifiable quickly. And on your luggage. Same thing. I've got like a strap, like a colorful strap for my luggage, so that I can tell that it's my luggage. But more importantly, other people can tell it's not their luggage. And believe me, I had a friend when we went to another country. He picked up someone's bag and he thought it was his, and we got to the hotel and he didn't realize until then, and it was you know, it took a while for him to get his own luggage. It was kind of a pain. And I watched at lax as people were picking up their luggage. So this girl, she was next to me, she goes, oh, I think that's mine. And then some guy picked up her luggage and then he looked at it, checked the tags and said, oh, it's not mine, put it back. Ah what else? Oh? This was cool. When I was in Soul, I got to see one of those three D billboards in person. If you're ever flipping through like YouTube shorts, they always have these videos of these three D billboards that looked too good to be true. And sure enough there was one on the street corner and I saw it. I must have stood there for twenty five minutes watching all the ads. And the three D ads are not every thirty seconds, they only come up every five ten minutes or so. But it was really really cool. Oh let's see, I did have some traditional food. I am embarrassed to say that I did eat at Shakeshack the first night I was there. And I know, I know, I know, I'm in Korea and where do I eat shake Shack? Yeah, Bobo did McDonald's. I almost did KFC. And I'm not kidding. When I talked to everyone the next day. I didn't feel so bad because guess word, ninety percent of people ate the first night KFC. Now, I know that Korea is known for fried chicken, and obviously it's not KFC is here, but the dipping sauces are different, and I'm sure some stuff is different. Now I will say my burger at Shakeshack was identical to the States. So I did not get any culture, except for the fact that they had a little hand washed machine at the Shakeshack, which I thought was pretty cool. Every country is very clean. They love cleanliness. You know, they have these little napkins that are like wet naps. They have very very clean A lot of people wore masks in different countries before covid' and that's still a part of the culture in many many countries. Oh one more story, my passport got locked up on the way back in I'm not kidding. So Samsung gave us samples of some of the devices that they announced, and so you had to decline them at customs to make sure that they knew that these were samples and you weren't going to sell them and all this stuff, and so, of course, being the honest person I am, I said, yes, I have samples of a couple cell phones and you know, a tablet. And as the woman is like looking at me and like in San Francisco, She's like nodding and smiling. She's literally taking my passport and locking it up in this lock box. And I'm like, oh, what just happened here? She goes, yeah, take this to the you got to you gotta clear customs at the exit. They got to inspect your bags before you can leave. So I was a I was a prisoner in my own country for fifteen minutes yesterday. I'm telling you, it felt really odd to know that I was no longer a free citizen in my own country. I'm telling you, it was an experience that I've never felt before. It was a feeling that I've never had before. I knew that here I was in America, but yet not able to travel freely and not leave the airport without fai figuring out this custom stuff. And it was easy to figure out. It was funny. The guy who was actually in charge of clearing me. He he was like, oh, you're on TV. Oh you review electronics.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: Where can I watch you? And he's like, go ahead, anyway, and it was all on the up and up. It was fine. All right. Coming up, I'm gonna talk more about what Samsung announced, new foldables, new tablets, new watches. Plus I got to tell you about this sneaky new fee that Verizon and AT and T are putting on bills if you have an older plan. We've got some great guests. But first it is your turn. We've got your calls coming up next at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Then give me a call if you have a question about technology. My name is rich Damiro and you are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you. I was told this is Black Pink. Is that a Korean pop band? Yeah, there you go. Okay, they had they had sugar. Okay, I've heard this. They had sugar of sugar. They had sugar of BTS. No, it's sugar bts at the Samsung event. And the best part was, you know, he got paid to be there, of course, because he's like, you know, Samsung whatever, like influencer. But I'm not kidding. All he had to do was just smile for the camera and give a thumbs up. And I don't know how much money he made doing that, but man, it must be nice. And then they also had Sydney Sweeney there. She is best well for me, I best know her from White Lotus. She's also on some other shows Euphoria. People were telling me, I haven't seen that on HBO. All right, let's go to let's kick off the show with Sean in Saint Charles, Illinois. Sean, you're on with rich Hi. I'm doing great.
Speaker 3: How are you taking my call? Yeah? Outside of my my elderly eight and my stage four of loung disease, I got times with my computer here that I got old twenty thirteen Toshiba. I never upgraded from seven and it's too light. Now, I know we're far ahead of that scenario now. Uh it still operates, but I have conflicting uh anti virus burners on the or maybe, hey.
Speaker 1: Sean, can can you move a little bit? You're you're breaking up, Maybe move to a different area because I'm getting a lot of broken Uh yeah, Okay, So you've got two different anti viruses on there, and what are they telling you?
Speaker 3: They keep coming up and telling me that, you know, I need to need to upgrade up because everybody's tracking me and I'm not protected for any viruses and so on.
Speaker 1: Install, uninstall them, get rid of them. What are the programs.
Speaker 3: AVG and the the asked, Okay, well.
Speaker 1: You don't need to number one, so get rid of both.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I tried. I tried to get them to go away, but they keep going back up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well that that goes to show you that you know half of these programs and those are two good ones. Actually I'm not you know, I don't want to knock them. They're good programs, but I would I would uninstall them and then pick one the best place to find. Are you going to get a new computer? You're going to stick with this?
Speaker 3: I'm not, like I said, I'm way behind the technology and now it's falling past me. So yeah, I don't know I'm going to catch up.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well here's the deal. I mean, look, the main thing with this, your system is going to continue working. The main thing is you need to be very aware of what you're clicking on, the links that you're clicking, the things that you're doing, because you're really not going to be protected because this is an older system, it's really not getting updates anymore. If you go to a v dash test dot org, that will give you a list of the best Windows antivirus software on lab is their top pick, and then a VAST and AVG are up there as well. But you have to get the free versions of these things. They will try to push you to get a paid version. But what I would do is uninstall both of these programs. In fact, uninstall everything on your computer that you don't need anymore. Because this is an older computer, it's probably running pretty slow, So uninstall those things and then install just one pick one maybe a VAST, put it on there, make sure it's the free version, and run that. Hopefully it'll protect you. But I would plan for a new computer. Next week. We're going to be talking to an expert who's going to give us the top computer picks both Windows and chromebooks for under five hundred bucks and under one thousand dollars. So Sean, I would tune in next week see which computers are recommended, and perhaps plan to get one of those. But you don't need to replace this immediately, but probably a good idea to start thinking about a new computer here, but just be aware of what you're clicking, because the social engineering links are really what you're most worried about. All right, Coming up, we've got Drew Blackird of Samsung. Drew is gonna talk to us about the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip five and the Samsung Galaxy Z fold five, two new foldable phones from Samsung. Coming up next. Welcome back to rich On Tech. I'm on location in Seoul, South Korea, where Samsung is headquartered. This is where the company held its Unpacked event to show off their latest foldable smartphones. Samsung brought me here to be a part of it all, and during my stay I talked with Drew Blackird, who's often on stage at these events. Drew is vice president of Product management for Samsung Electronics America. All right, so first off, tell me Samsung doing this event here in Korea?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, the most obvious answers, We're headquartered here. But that's the simple answer. I think a lot of the Korean culture and Samsung are really intertwined.
Speaker 1: It's the biggest employers in the country.
Speaker 4: The research and development coming out of Korea is just substantial and it's kind of crazy that we haven't done one here yet, So I think I'm really excited. I've been a Samsung for close to fourteen years. I've probably been to Korea forty forty five times, and really the culture here is one I think of love for technology, there's a love for fashion and new things, and I think a lot of that comes together with our foldables. So it's really unique time to be able to announceside in Korea.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about these faultibles. It's been four years now, almost five years with these fuldable phones. What is the sort of trend you're seeing with fuldibles?
Speaker 4: Well, this is our fifth generation and we're seeing every year more and more consumers are adopting foldibles for the first time, and when they do adopt them, that they love them and they're staying loyal to the brand, to the form factor. So we focus on this year is trying to bring even more people into fold rules and experiencing for the first time. So a lot of that starts with innovating the design, the form factor itself, trying to make it slimmer and kind of so that it fits in the hand or the pocket of the purse easier. So both devices, the Flip and the fold are about two millimeters slimmer. Fold is actually ten grams lighter as well. So the part of it is just kind of keeping the form factor tight and making mainstream and then on top of that innovating these fold foldable use cases where they are unique things that you can really only do with these products. So with Fold, it's opening up, you know, a standard sized smartphone to a seven point six inch display. Incredible for productivity and entertainment, gaming, multimedia, and for Flip, it's it's a product that really you can get more smartphone when you want more. It opens up to a seven point six inch display, which is the same as our S Plus model, and it's.
Speaker 5: Less phone when you want less.
Speaker 4: So that's you know again when you want it in an easily pocketable, you know device. But also you have this new experience with our Flex window where you can actually interact with notifications, respond to messages, valuate opening up.
Speaker 1: This seems like a pretty good design this year. It's incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think one of the things we're most proud of is the new Hinge design. We call it our zero gap Pinch, but that basically means that it's fully flush on the X tier, so there's no gap where you know, different things in your pocket might come in between you know, the screen or things like that. From a form factor perspective, again, it makes it slimmer, so it's easier to hold in hand. And on top of that, you know, the innovation over time has really evolved, so I think, you know, some of the early criticisms around foldables had to do with the camera experiences. Now these are now no compromised flagship camera experiences.
Speaker 1: And on top of that, the xterior.
Speaker 4: Display on flip has evolved. Their original one if you remember, it was just like a window where you can see the time basically, and it's now a fully interactive display. It's about three times larger than last years. And with that, we have a full interface on the flex window that's similar to our Galaxy Watch, where you can kind of pull down quick settings from the top. You can have widget experiences, whether it be like music player or calendar or weather to one side, and then on the other side of notifications that as I said, you can like quickly respond to text messages and engage with friends. And then the last one, which is cools from the bottom, swipe up and you get Samsung Wallet, so you can make mobile payments without even.
Speaker 1: Having you to open the phone. So I'm curious with the new hinge does it affect durability anyway? Does it? Is it are you taking a step back with durability because this is a newer device hinge or is it kind of the same design but just tweaked.
Speaker 4: It's going to be a big step forward in terms of durability, So I think that's one of the approaches behind it. So I think the zero gap hinge will do a few things first as it will narrow down so there's no gap where nothing from you know, the outside can can enter into, you know, the foldable part of the phone. The second thing it will do is is kind of restructure the internal so within the flexible display, there's now kind of a padding layer under that display that is for shock absorption. The hinge is called dual rail system on the hinge which has multiple touch points on the display which reinforces the durability and multiple points compared to what it did in the past, and it's all fewer parts, so it's actually doing this all with fewer moving parts, which makes it more durable. So all those things together make the hinge more durable, and the devices themselves are more durable as well. So we now have griller glass Victis too, which is an upgrade from last year's model on the kind of X tier displays. It has armor aluminum, it's ip X eight water resistance, so a lot of different progress on the durability front. Also, we're launching what we call our ze Assurance program to help you and put further piece of mind around the durability of foldable products. So specifically, they all come with an inbox screen protector applied, but you'll get a one time free placement if you ever want to get the screen protect or replace, Samsung will do that for you. And then from a repairs perspective, foldables are still a new technology, but we'll also have a one time discounted screen repair also if you needed to do anything like that. And I would say the only other thing I add on there is we have a care plus insurance product that's really incredible.
Speaker 1: I noticed the base storage is now doubled on the flip so you keep you kind of keep doing that almost every year now, So what's what's the deal with the storage.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean we see as users behavior evolves, their storage needs evolved, So you know, more and more users are capturing a lot of video content. Video takes a lot more storage than photos do, for example. And on top of that, with Samson cameras, they're all EK capable, so it's not just HD video, it's four K video, it's AK video. These are all large file sizes. So we want to make sure that a consumer's experience with these products is kind of uncompromised. So if they're going to use these high end features, they don't have to worry about if they're going to run out of storage. And during our pre order even we're doing a large storage upgrade on us, so you can pay the price of the two fifty six gig and you'll get the five to twelve gig a version of it.
Speaker 1: What about sustainability efforts. I always hear during the presentations a lot about sustainability. We saw yesterday some of the displays about you know, the different recycled materials tell me about Samsung's commitment to that.
Speaker 4: Sustainability is a huge part of our corporate mission. And so I think there's three key areas with the foldables that we've really focused on. The first is just using more recycled components. I think last year had about six parts that we're using recycled material. I think we're closer to fifteen different components of the device using that this year. And the second is fully recycled packaging and fully recyclable packaging, so it's also you know, kind of.
Speaker 5: Less waste that we go into packaging.
Speaker 4: And then the last area is more from just an overall length of ownership perspective that we want to make. These are products that can you know, stay in the market for a long period of time. So in addition to the durability innovations that we've made from a software perspective, we are remaining committed to the life cycle THEGE products. We have five years of guaranteed security updates as released the software, and then four generations of Android OS updates.
Speaker 1: So what is your data telling you about the adoption of foldables? Because you continue to push this area, some other you know, device makers do as well, and some are holding out. So what do you see with your data about people actually wanting a foldable?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think last year our president team roannounced that we crossed over ten million foldables sold globally, so you know, it's it's it's a big market and getting bigger, and we've you know, since obviously passed that number pretty well. On top of that, what we see is that people within the Samsung family at least are you know, shifting over at a nice rate. Users are very interested in trying out fold our S series owners are trying out flip for the first time, and we find high loyalty as well. So when soone tries a foldable, they understand the value of those only unfoldable use cases and then they.
Speaker 5: Want the next one.
Speaker 4: Another interesting part is we're seeing people shift to Samsung at a higher rate on foldable. So we'll look at ownership of different devices and how they're coming to Samsung and we see the highest rates or people wanting to try foldables. What's exciting about all this technology for you personally? The thing this most exciting, I guess is, you know, fifth generation foldable technology. In one sense that feels like very refine. We're kind of getting to this point where we have this this new category that we're growing, but in the grand scheme of things, is really just the beginning for foldable technology. The way I like to think about it is I've four and a half year old twins at home, and I know when they're hitting got a high school range and college range or even my age. Someday they're not going to be using a standard far type. You know, it's going to be come out of the evolution of form factors that we're starting to see today. So to me, this is just the starting point for a lot of new innovation that's gonna start with in the sportphone space, but even kind of move into other categories as well.
Speaker 1: Drew, thanks so much for joining me today. Thanks for having me once again. That was Drew blackerd vice president of Product Management for Samsung Electronics America. Much more of the show come in your way, plus your calls at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology. Well, the other big news of the week Twitter now called X. If you have the app on your phone, maybe you noticed now the icon changed on my Android. It did not change on my iPhone. It says X, but it's still the Twitter Twitter bird and people are going at this, Oh my gosh, I mean, give me a break. Who cares? Like, are you really that invested in the Twitter name where you have to sit there and tweet about this? Like, I get it, it's a big change, But who cares? It's X done? End of story. Does it matter in your life whether it's X or Twitter?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: The Twitter bird? Oh what do we call them now? Oh h everyone's crying about this change. The only place that people are crying is on Twitter. Nobody else cares in the world. It does not matter. You don't own stock in Twitter, you're not friends with Elon Musk. You you don't have a reason to, you know, to mourn the loss of Twitter. It was a brand. It's a brand name. Brands come and go. It means nothing. So either you're on or you're off. I have not changed the way I use Twitter since this whole thing started with Elon Musk. Think as you might about Elon, whether you love them or hate them, it does not matter. It's a product. You use it or you don't. Just because you're using Twitter does not mean that you are an Elon Musk lover fanboy, whatever, fangirl. It just is a thing. It's a tool. Is this the Twitter farm? I thought you were gonna play crickets? Like nobody wants to hear what I'm talking about. I'm sorry, I just, you know, it's one of these things, like I cover technology for a living, and like literally I probably use Twitter, not more than anyone. But I've been on there since let's see May two thousand and seven. My thoughts about Twitter have not changed at all. It's just a product. I tweet, you respond. If you're not on there, I don't notice. If you're on there, I may notice because you might tweet at me. It doesn't change my life, it shouldn't change yours. Whether you go to Twitter dot com or x dot com or click a logo that looks like an X or click a logo that looks like a bird, it does not matter. What is it matter what a tweet is called. Okay, it's a Z. I don't know, we'll find out, we'll figure it out. Sorry, I know, I just it's just one of these things where like it's just gonna take time. I mean, okay, they're called exes. Okay, see you X. Whatever you did, you tweet you X. It doesn't matter anyway. If you want to find me on X, I'm at rich on Tech, same exact place I've been for the past twenty three minus seven, whatever that is. Let's go to uh Carleen in High Desert. Carleen, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 7: Rich?
Speaker 1: Are you mourning the loss of Twitter?
Speaker 8: No? Not at all?
Speaker 1: Like, do you even care? Nobody cares about Twitter except people that tweet. Nobody cares. Why don't even talk about it in the show? No normal person cares? Sorry I shouldn't say normal, No typical average person cares. Okay, go ahead, Okay.
Speaker 6: I have a Samsung No. Nine and it's about two and a half years old, and I'm trying to keep it and I want to know if it's being overcharged because I do plug it in every night or and it does sometimes get hot. I plug it in in my truck on Android Auto and listen to books on my phone. Sure, and I want to know, am I like overcharging my phone? And then when it gets hot, am I depleting the battery?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 1: Okay, so no, So batteries do have a lifespan, and for sure, when they get hot, they definitely are affected more and that may run down the battery a bit more. So I would take you know, I would when you're in your car, I would try to keep your phone in a place that's cool, like maybe not in the sun, right, No, it's not, okay, And so you know, it's one of these things where look, you've got to use your phone, and so you need to use your phone. You have to use it. And you've got a Note nine. So it's a couple of years old for sure, but it's going to last for a while. Now. There is a way I'm trying to check out here. If you download the Samsung Members app, trying to see if we've got this. Here we go. If you download the Samsung Members app, Okay, here you go. This is what you want to do. Okay, Carleen. Download an app it's called Samsung Members, and then you go at the bottom of the app, it says let's see what is it saying? Says support. You tap support and then there's a whole bunch of things you can do for phone diagnostics. Okay. And so when you look at that phone diagnostics, you can select battery status and you tap battery status and it will tell you how your battery's doing. Now. This is built into the iPhone under settings and then battery, So if you want to check on your iPhone, you can do that as well, but on the Samsung you do have to download this separate app. So if you want to see how your battery is doing right now, mine says life is good, which is I like that. That's a very very positive way of thinking life is good. That actually sounds like something LG would say. But if your thing, if it says anything like, you know, poor or it needs help or whatever, then maybe you think about changing something. But here's the other good news. I think your battery is going to be just fine. I charge my phone every single day, charge it every single night, charge it multiple times a day, and my iPhone specifically, okay, is at now this is actually quite low, to be honest, it is at My battery health is at ninety two percent of maximum capacity after almost a year. So that's that's it's good. But if you think about it, you know, if I went four more years with that phone, you know, if you tick off let's say ten percent a year after four years, my battery would have sixty percent of the life lifespan that it did from the factory So the other good news, Carlene is that you can replace the battery on this Note nine if it gets to a place where it's really bad, and so it may cost a little bit, but it's an option, and so now go ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, and I'm wondering because it is a little bit older, it doesn't get any more updates because it has Android ten. Okay, And how safe is that to do like banking and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Well, there's definitely a risk, there's definitely, there's always a risk. But quite honestly, I think you're still gonna be okay with as long as is Chrome giving you any messages like this is not supported or anything. No, okay, So as long as you're still not getting a message like that, I think you're okay. Are you still getting app updates?
Speaker 6: I haven't had one for a while.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I would check your app updates and make sure you're up to date.
Speaker 6: Are you I am up to date?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 8: I did check that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So go to play Store, go to your your profile, make sure it says all apps up to date. So you want to do that, you're probably I'm without looking up. I'm not sure if the Note nine is getting any sort of you know, major software up dates from Samsung. It maybe through that period, so it may be over. But what I would do is yeah, but Carlen, the main thing is that, you know, how hackers are getting a hold of people is really through social engineering. So be aware of what you're clicking. Be aware of the text that you're responding to. You know, if it says, hey, we've got a ups shipment for you, click here and confirm your social Security number, don't do that.
Speaker 6: No, I'm pretty good at that point.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, then it sounds like since you're calling in and you're aware of this stuff, you're you're ahead of a lot of folks. So Carlenh, yeah, I'm up against it. Yeah, okay, go ahead, all right.
Speaker 6: They have those like a charge ye or a charge check, those things that you plug into your charger before you plug it into your phone.
Speaker 1: I'm not familiar with those. I don't think you need that. I've never used one of those. I think you'll be okay, try the Samsung Members app, check out your battery health, and just use your phone and enjoy it. All right, more of your calls Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two, one zero one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. I will tell you, listening to this song, there is nothing better than getting home from an international trip and being back on like us ground, like as much as I love other countries, as much as I love traveling. Even though my passport was taken away for a couple of minutes and locked up in a box. Uh, it just still feels good to know. It's like you could breathe a sigh of relief, because when you're in a different country, you just never know. You never know, I mean you never know. Uh. We got lots going on this hour. We're gonna have Heimi rivera of Pocket. Now my interview with Heimi about the new foldable phones from Samsung. We recorded this interview at thirty thousand feet up in the air, just over Japan, So I think it's a first for this show, a in flight interview, and it actually sounds pretty good. You'll be surprised. You'll be surprised how good it sounds for being recorded in an airplane, and then later we'll talk about let's see, Oh, I got an app that's really cool that helps you pay your medical bills with just taking a picture of them. It's really really cool. I used it yesterday. Works very well. I also have some products that I've been using that I used on my trip, some new headphones from Sony and earbuds, i should say, and then a new power adapter, International power Adapter. Let me tell you about this because Verizon and AT and T not being so nice, they are charging a new sneaky fee, so be on the lookout on your bill. According to the Verge, customers on Verizon's five G Start plan they are affected. So this is a rate plan adjustment, an extra three dollars per line, and older plans are affected, including that five G Start plan which they introduced as Start Unlimited four years ago that costs seventy dollars a month for a single line. Why do they want to introduce this three dollars a month because guess what they want you to change to one of their newer plans. And the new plan is called Unlimited Welcome. I know, so confusing. This starts at sixty dollars a month, which, wow, that sounds a lot cheaper. But you don't get mobile hotspot like you did with Start Unlimited, so you have to pay an extra ten dollars a month for that. So yeah, the price comes out to about the same if it's seventy bucks a month. But it's just, you know, it's not nice. It's just not nice. According to c NET, AT and t's rate adjustment will hit customers on the Unlimited Elite plan. You're going to be paying an extra two dollars and fifty cents a month. This was previously AT and t's top tier plan. It costs eighty five dollars a month. This is the best part, according to AT and t's website. Their levy this fee so that AT and T can quote continue to deliver the great wireless service you expect. I didn't realize it costs them extra two fifty a month to deliver the same plan that people have had for years.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: What do I know? I don't run a cellular company. Now, the new Premium Unlimited plan is about the same. You get fifty gigs of hotspot data for eighty five dollars a month. That's even more than the previous plan that only gave you forty. But here's the catch. If you switch, you lose your free HBO Max subscription. And so that's that's the catch. They want to get people off the HBO Max because when they offered these plans with HBO Max or now it's called Max Included, it was part of AT and T. Now it's not part of AT and T. So they have to pay whoever owns it Warner Brothers. I don't know who it is now. Were people crying about this switch to Max? No, I don't think so. Nobody cares. Uh. Oh I got hit with a new charge this month on my internet. It went up by five bucks a mo. So now I'm paying eighty five dollars a month for my internet and not even no warning, no nothing, not even a courtesy phone call, text email, nothing, just goes from eighty bucks a month to eighty five. And I have to sit there and log in and look at my bill and see why it's up. And just said, oh, your price increased five bucks a month. Oh, thanks thanks for letting me know. Phone lines are open. Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one get in now, because all the people that wanted a call that got all angry over my Twitter rant are now not listening anymore. So you've got a free phone line. Kim is probably wondering why nobody's calling. It's because everyone's angry at me because I made fun of Twitter changing the name. Oh everyone's all upset. Okay, let me tell you about the Samsung products in a little bit more depth here. So two new phones. Samsung Galaxy Z Flip five. Now, this is kind of the entry level flip phone. It's kind of like a classic, like a Motorol eraser. This is the phone. It costs one thousand dollars, which I know is expensive, but it's basically a Samsung Galaxy S. But it folds in half, all right, yeah, folds closed. This phone has a new larger cover screen, so it's like three times bigger than it was on the Z Flip four. So this means you can capture pictures easily. There's new widgets. You can even watch Netflix YouTube and look at Google Maps on the cover screen without having to open the phone. So it's nice. And you know, I've got it, and I've been playing with it and it's basically just a Samsung phone that folds in half. So if you want something that's cool, if you want something that's pocketable, it's a nice little phone, it really is. And so the cover screen being a lot bigger makes it a lot more usable, makes it a lot easier to kind of to use this phone without opening it. So that's one thousand dollars. And the thing about that is that if you have one of these old old flip phones, like the z Flip four, they're giving you like almost the entire price towards the new phone. You may have to pay one hundred or two hundred dollars to upgrade, but you're also getting double the storage, which is kind of like the price right there. So if you have the fold the Flip four, you may want to just look into upgrading to the Flip five because the trade in values are really really high, so you might want to do that. Now when it comes to the Fold five, this is a totally different beast. This is really like a you know, this is like the professional folding phone. This one folds open and closed like a book, and so it's got this narrow screen on the outside. They didn't change the size of the screens. So you've got a narrow screen on the outside, I think it's six point seven inches. On the inside it's just over seven inches, so it's almost like a tablet when you open this thing up. And this is a device that is kind of like just the power user's device. So if you want something that is like the most foldable, this is it the fold five. So what have they done differently on this? They created an entirely new hinge. So the hinge will open to any single angle you want it to open, and it stays really solid and it stays open. It's got less parts than before, it's more durable than before, but it can stay open at any angle you want. So if you want to watch videos on this on the plane, if you want to just like right now, I've got my show timer going on on the screen. It's just it's a really durable, kind of useful device. So that's really cool. Let's see what else what else is new on there? The processor obviously is new. The price stays the same. It's eighteen hundred dollars, so that price is really going to keep a lot of people from getting this. But again, you know, if you want this device, and so what Samsung told me is that when it comes to pre orders on these devices, they're both available on August eleventh. By the way, pre orders are right now, you're gonna get your best deals. If you place your pre order, they're gonna get the maximum trade in value because they want people, they want a good number out of the gate. Samsung, in a couple of weeks before this thing even launches, wants to say we've had the most pre orders ever. We've had the most people buy these foldable phones. And how they do that They make really good offers in the first couple of weeks. After the first couple of weeks, anything goes, you don't know they're gonna you know, you're gonna get less for your old phones. So eighteen hundred dollars for this device. The fold five comes in Icy blue, Phantom black, and cream. And I've been using this device for the past couple of days, and I gotta say it's a really nice foldable phone. The outside screen is really narrow, and so it's definitely not ideal for using the outside screen because it's narrow and people that are using a smartphone are used to kind of a wider screen. But it's also very comfortable. Oh, the big change I should have mentioned this is that both of these phones now close completely flat. So it used to be there was a kind of a gap between them. There is no longer a gap between the screens when you close these phones, and so it makes it more comfortable, it makes it easier to hold. It just feels like more of a slick kind of device. And so that is a big, big improvement. And if you had one of the older phones, that's kind of a reason to do it. So the bottom line on these devices. We're going to talk to Himien a little bit about what he thinks, but I think that if you want to jump on the bandwagon and try something new, the flip is an easy way to do that. The fold a little bit more involved. You really have to kind of want a foldable phone to get that device, because it is a major change. With that said, I've loved it. Am I ready to give up a regular phone for this? I'm not sure, But it's one of those things where it's really cool and it's a feat of engineering. And so you know, like my friend Jimi, when I was talking to him, he has specific use cases that he likes You can also have a stylus with the Fold five, and so the case that they sampled us with is it's got a stylus on the back and the stylust is actually longer, and so it's really easy to use compared to the previous spens that they've had before. And again, it's one device. So if you travel a lot and you want a cell phone and a tablet in one, this is it. The Fold five is really engineered for making you carry less things in this world. So if you want to be a digital nomad and travel with just a laptop and a smartphone, no tablet, no kindle, this will do it all. So it's got a lot of functionality in a device. The other two things that they launched Galaxy tab S nine. This is a premium tablet. The thing to know about it, it's a tablet that's completely waterproof, which is really cool. It's IP sixty eight, which is the highest rating for water resistance and dust resistance. It also comes with an spen and it also has a new amal ed screen, so the screen is way better quality than it was before, even on the baseline. So you've got the tab S nine, the S nine plus and the S nine Ultra, and these things start at eight hundred dollars. They go up to twelve hundred dollars. You can get a cellular connection in them if you want so. I typically don't recommend Android tablets just because they're good for entertainment. This is a premium tablet, and the s pen on it is really really premium as well.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 1: The other thing Galaxy Watched six and the Galaxy Watch six Classic. The Galaxy Watch has got a new processor for the first time in like a couple of years, so they're gonna function better, maybe get better battery life. They also track your sleep really well. And the thing to know is that the Galaxy Watch Classic has the rotating bezel that people really like, and so they took away this feature on the Samsung Galaxy Watches a while ago, and now it's back. People really like that physical rotating bezel, and so if you got the Classic that's the one that has it, please start at two hundred ninety nine dollars and then go up to four hundred and twenty nine dollars. You're also going to be able to for the first time use WhatsApp on these watches. Google calendar and Gmail, and so if you want to check your Gmail on your wrist and your Google calendar, those will be a whare os exclusive? All right, and himI will talk more about this stuff in just a little bit, all right, give me a call Triple eight rich one on one, eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. We'll have more of your calls coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Let's see social media. You can find me. I gotta read this because everything's changed in the past couple of weeks. You can follow me on social media at rich on Tech. I'm on Instagram, I'm on Facebook, I'm on X formerly Twitter, and I'm on threads. And yeah, you found me on X because you're all yelling at me saying that you know my rant about Twitter. You're all all hurt. Okay, I'm sorry. I don't get angry that much about stuff, but like I just sometimes, you know, give me a break. Coming up this hour, we got Haimi Rivera a pocket now. But let's let's go to Jack. Let's go to Jack in Goldendale, Washington. Jack, You're own with Rich, Hello, my friend, how's it going good?
Speaker 10: I was wondering, if you know, I actually have two questions if you have time. I wonder if you know why when I watch I do the free YouTube on my Roku tv, And why is it sometimes the videos are backwards? They're like mirror. Do you know what I mean that? Like if you see a street sign or something, it's it's backwards. Or if you see a gas price or the gas station, it's backwards.
Speaker 1: I mean I've seen that on Are you talking pictures or video?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 10: Usually it's a video because I'm watching YouTube.
Speaker 1: And is it the entire like is all the writing on the screen backwards? Or is it just that just what's in the video.
Speaker 10: It's just what's in the video. Well, I wondered if maybe somehow, because I've never posted anything to YouTube, I don't know if maybe that they're posting it backwards.
Speaker 1: No, I think I think that it's just the way it's being recorded is perhaps, you know, backwards, but it's typically okay. So there's a couple of things going on. Sometimes people put things through a they flip it so that they it gets past like copyright stuff. Like sometimes if it's like running through copyright, they'll they'll flip it so that it's you know, it's just it trips up those those checks that could be that could be what you're seeing now when it comes to smartphones, when you're taking pictures with a selfie camera, a lot of times out of the box, those those pictures could be reversed. So if you take a photo of you, like a selfie, and there's text behind you, sometimes that text will be backwards in your picture when you look at it. And so there is a setting on both the iPhone and Android where on iPhone it's called mirror front Camera, and if you have that turned on, that means that it's gonna be kind of like a mirror, like it's going to be reversed, you're right backwards. And then on Android it's the same thing. If you go into the Samsung camera settings, it says, yeah, gosh, let's say I gotta find it. But oh, safe selfies as previewed. So safe selfies, Oh oh here we go, we got it, Jack, You're right. Save selfies and selfie videos as they appear in the preview without flipping them.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: If they record a selfie on the front facing camera, let me try this right now. Okay, So I'm recording a selfie and I turn that feature on, and now when I play it back, sure enough, it's the text is reversed. So there's our mystery. Mystery solved.
Speaker 10: Okay, thank you. If you have time one more question.
Speaker 1: Uh, sure, Well, it depends what the question is you.
Speaker 10: I know it's the Garmin dash cameras. I recently installed two of them in my cars and the app that Garment supplies, so that's called Garman Drive. That almost never works. I've seen YouTube videos and even on there they say it works about maybe ten percent of the time. Do you have any understanding as to why that is and why Garment won't fix it?
Speaker 1: Well, they're probably not putting a lot of effort into it. That's probably why.
Speaker 10: They're making the money up front.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, is it Android or iOS?
Speaker 10: It's well, it's I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, what's your phone? Do you have an iPhone or Android?
Speaker 10: I have an Android, but it doesn't matter. I take the chip out, the little chip out of the camera, plug it into my computer and I can look at videos and whatnot, but you're supposed to be able to use your phone to see what your dash camera is seeing alive, right, And I don't know that it matters whether it's uh Android or iPhone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, they've got they've got apps for both, and I'm looking at the version history and they updated it on July twentieth, July tenth, June twenty ninth, May twenty fourth, So I would check to see if your app is up to date, just to make sure. It seems like they are working on it. So, I mean, it's like, you know, I kind of joked, I said, they're not putting that much effort, but clearly they are. So I think Garment is a very popular brand. A lot of people have this. The apps have over a million downloads, So I think that for sure you should, you know, you should probably make sure it's up to date and hopefully that will fix things. All right.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Oh, let me tell you about this app.
Speaker 2: This app.
Speaker 1: I used this last night. Oh, thanks for the question, Jack. By the way, So I used this app last night. It's called Papaya. I had a couple of medical bills to pay, and they're always such a pain to pay because you got to find the website, you got to log in, you got to sign in, you got to find all your info. You literally take a picture of the bill with app and you can use your credit card, debit card, bank account to pay it. They figure out how to pay it. I did a story with this company last year. Again. It's called Papaya Pay and you take a picture pretty much any bill, but medical bills especially and they will pay. And I got my confirmations this morning that my bills were paid. I'll put a link on the website. Rich on Tech dot TV. Coming up, himI Rivera. We'll talk about the new Samsung foldable phones. You're listening to rich on Tech.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: This is where I talk about the tech stuff I.
Speaker 2: Think you should know about.
Speaker 1: And if you can tell, I'm actually on the plane back from Seoul, South Korea. Sitting next to me is himI Rivera. A pocket now, himI, thanks so much for chatting with me.
Speaker 11: We've been trying to have this conversation for how long my six months? Now here we are, and now here we are, I'm stuck with you for the next ten hours. Don't worry, it's not gonna last that long.
Speaker 1: So HEIMI was at the event in uh South Korea as well as myself. We were at the Samsung Unpacked where they unveiled four new devices, the Fold five, the Flip five, a watch, and some tablets. So let's start with the Flip of the foldable phones, because you're actually a foldable phone user. Oh yeah, So what is your overall takeaway from what they announced?
Speaker 2: You know, this is full refinement.
Speaker 11: I mean, we again expect Toyota to come up with a new Corolla all the time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 11: I love the time that we had at the design studio where it's like even in phones, we have a facelift gear and then it's a big bag. And so this is a facelift, but it was a much needed facelift. I believe everything that they changed is exactly what I complained about the previous foldables, and so for me, that's a good enough.
Speaker 2: Upgrade to want them.
Speaker 11: But that's my quick takeaway is if you bought the previous ones, obviously, if you find the good trading deal which they're amazing on Samsung, or the flip not necessarily the fold the fold didn't get as good this year as I did last year. I mean, if you could do that, why not. If you're getting nine hundred dollars off the flip, you get double the storage, which pretty much.
Speaker 2: Pays that back, Like, why not? But I don't know.
Speaker 11: My takeaway is even if a lot of people were like, oh my god, this is just an initative update, I'm like, it's a good iterative, iterative update. It's at least the things that I wanted to change.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, but I had.
Speaker 11: Like a lot of crackling noise on the Fold four over time.
Speaker 2: You don't get any of that now.
Speaker 11: The hinge feels great, the phones feel lighter, which I wanted so bad.
Speaker 2: So I'm happy.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me go through some of the things that you mentioned. So the pricing number one Galaxy Z Flip five is one thousand dollars phone, and with trading deals which are very very aggressive, you could face we get that for free. If you have almost any device to trade in that's a recent device, then you've got the Galaxy Z Fold five and that is an eighteen hundred dollars device. No price change there, But the biggest difference on both of these devices. On the Flip five you got a bigger outside screen, and on the Full five they didn't change the screen sizes, but they did make that fold completely closed without a gap, Zach, and the same thing on the z Flip five. And that's an eighteen hundred dollars device now when you compare it against other foldables out there. So let's talk specifically about well, let's talk about the flip first. Who is the Flip four. I think it's more lifestyle phout.
Speaker 11: It's when people when Motorola came out with the Razor, it was a bragging phone.
Speaker 5: If you remember, it wasn't the most cutting edge at the time.
Speaker 11: It was actually like a Motoroll of the six hundred on a new body, so it didn't have a good camera.
Speaker 2: It was just the flashy, sexy phone. And that's what this is.
Speaker 5: This is sex appeal.
Speaker 11: At its maximon it's somebody that wants to show off. But I also like this concept of you know, sometimes you just want to really you want a small phone, but you want a big screen, and so it solves that need of people that want that, and I just I find it so light. So it's that like people that are looking for the convenience of a large phone experience on a small package. That's what it is. But now they've improved the app, they've proved the outer screen to be larger. The interesting part though, is as opposed to Balltarola, they made it more of a selfie thing. You know, you still have the widgets. You can't really run apps on it.
Speaker 1: The outer screen is more for just basic tasks things glancing at notifications, and it's nice to have that in a large format, but to run entire apps on there you probably don't. Although the ones that you can run we tested this yesterday, Netflix, YouTube, Google Maps, and there's one more that I can't remember right out. But so those three now I get it. Those are good use cases. Google Maps, you want to glance your map, see what's going on. YouTube, you watch a little video on the tiny screen on the outside. Whatever, Netflix, same thing. So and maybe more app makers that. I think it depends on the app if it's necessary or reasonable to have it on that outside screen. But otherwise you get this phone. It's just like you said, it's kind of fun. It's different. You want something that's different. Now, let's talk about the fold because this is an entirely different beast.
Speaker 2: That's my baby. Yeah, so you carry this device.
Speaker 5: I've carried it all year for three years.
Speaker 1: Tell me about your thoughts about the Fulton, because.
Speaker 5: I am an active user.
Speaker 11: If it's like if they grabbed my wish list, then they fixed it. Like I don't like the crackling noise on the hinge.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 11: I would cringe at it, and now it's gone like cringe at the hinge. Yes, that's that's a good put right there. I would hate that.
Speaker 2: I want it and not.
Speaker 11: Necessarily tucked in, but I want to be uh, you know, I didn't want the case to be this like bulky thing, and it's been that way for two years.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: They fixed that. They've made a smaller spen.
Speaker 1: A case that removes the.
Speaker 5: Camera bump uh and adds an s meen in a smart way.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: So, just to be clear, the spen sits on the case on the outside, on the back.
Speaker 11: And it's an optional part. Yeah, it's still like it used to be least year, but it has the advantage that now it's a lot more compact. It resembles more of the spen on the Galaxys series with the exception that it's longer so it's easier to grab.
Speaker 2: I like that. If you want to make a phone.
Speaker 11: This, then there's no way you're going to the camera. Technology is all about physics, so the cameras protrude a lot. This phone is a wobbling nightmare on a table. And because it's so, because it's slimmer than most phones, it just wobbles so much more than any other thing that I've used. And so it's good that you can get the case and solve that problem. And at the same time, you know it does the fav does you the favor of you the pen if you wanted. Going back to your point, I like what they did. I know a lot of people are complaining about the screen being not wide.
Speaker 5: Enough in comparison to the competition.
Speaker 11: I tried to move away from Zebolt four for pixel fold I'm sorry, I can't believe this is a foldable mate by Google. I actually like the outer screen for like quick interactions, and if I need a big screen, I just open the phone because that's the whole point.
Speaker 5: So I will mostly spend my time opening the phone.
Speaker 11: But if I'm like on the go, have you ever tried to juggle at iPhone FOURT FROMAX.
Speaker 1: It's a lot. It's a lot.
Speaker 11: And so it's that thing where you want a big screen, but you don't always want a big screen. And I like how how that that thinner and narrower profile conforms to your pocket so much.
Speaker 2: Better than the pixel fold.
Speaker 11: And so there are things about the pixel fold, like if you're if you're, if you want to watch like a video on the outer street, and then so much more convenient. Yes, if you want to do like the flex mode, yes it's convenient. I can get all those things. But for some reason I find myself like opening it and then flipping it around because Android and landscape is terrible.
Speaker 1: And that's the other thing about it is that if you are traveling or you're moving around any sort of way, this really becomes a phone and a.
Speaker 11: Tablet, right right, And then that's a thing like I you know me, like my bag, you just you just held my back back.
Speaker 2: I took it down from the overhead compartment.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and if that weighs more than twenty pounds, yeah, from the laptop to the cameras to the gear. I have the cherry pick what I carry. So I don't want to carry a kindle. I don't want to carry like for me, my fold is my e reader. It's like my workhorse.
Speaker 5: Any takeaways from Korea, I guess my experiences.
Speaker 11: You know, same thing as the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world, and I have to admire their humbleness in listening to feedback at every session that I was in.
Speaker 1: We're gonna leave it there. I think we have nine hours left on the flight, but I only have a three hour show, and I think food is getting served. himI Rivera.
Speaker 2: How can folks find you?
Speaker 5: Oh, you can find me on Instagram him Riveta there or YouTube is on YouTube.
Speaker 11: We're at Pocket now and you've been there for as its YouTube started pretty much.
Speaker 5: And then on Twitter him underscore Riveta.
Speaker 2: Which is is it X now? I don't know. I think so.
Speaker 5: I think it made the switch while we were rating Caria.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Heimi, you carried entire production studio in your backpack to record your daily updates.
Speaker 2: In your hotel rooms wherever you are.
Speaker 5: You travel a lot rooms into studios.
Speaker 1: Been amazing, himI Rivera, Pocket Out, thanks so much for joining me on the plane.
Speaker 2: You really had no choice. It's been amazing. You know I'm a big fan of your work man.
Speaker 5: Such a pleasure.
Speaker 1: More rich On Tech coming your way.
Speaker 5: Give me a call if you have a question about technology at.
Speaker 1: Triple eight rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. You're listening to rich on Tech from.
Speaker 5: Thirty eight thousand feet right over Japan.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you. Keep the tweets coming or sorry, the ex is coming at rich on Tech. You know I'll read them at the end of the show in the feedback segment. For sure. You guys are really fired up about this Twitter stuff. I didn't realize that so many people were so invested in the name Twitter. Let's go to Gloria in Pacoima. Gloria. You're on with rich.
Speaker 9: Hi, Rich, thank you.
Speaker 7: What.
Speaker 9: I bought a Sony phone, the new Experia what xp.
Speaker 1: Okay and.
Speaker 9: I finally got it. I thought it was made in Japan. It says made in Taiwan. There's no charge table. I can't believe it. And there's two little pieces of paper And when I went online to find out is this normal? And apparently people usually get a lot more paper so I was even jipped on the paper. Whatever is going on with that, I don't know. But when I talked to the guy where I picked it up at Best Bite, he said that I should be able to just go on the phone and the phone will direct you through it. But what about the charge cable? I had no idea. There was no table in the box.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean that's I'm not familiar with this particular. You know this box, what's in there? But this is funny because you know, people do these YouTube videos on boxings, and so it tells you what's in the box. Now, historically, you know, we've gotten rid of the charging brick like that doesn't come in the box. But typically I have not seen a phone come without a charging cable. Typically it has at least a USB cable. So it doesn't have that at all.
Speaker 9: And it's in the paper that I got. I read and it said you need to use Sony cable. And I'm like, are you kidding? You know why this Sony cable? This is nuts?
Speaker 1: That is nuts. You don't need to use a Sony cable for sure. I'm trying to see. Usually they have kind of like what's in the box on these things, and I'm trying to find a video about it, and I can't. I can't seem to find a video that has like what's an unboxing?
Speaker 9: Yeah, on YouTube, and this is this is basically it.
Speaker 1: Oh it is okay. So people have confirmed that that's okay.
Speaker 9: It's with a lot more instructions. I guess I'm not really sure if their instructions or things in different language.
Speaker 1: Well most most okay. Now that's you know, look a couple things. Where did you buy this phone? That's fine, Oh, you bought it best Buy. Okay. So there is a full instruction manual online, so you can download that. It's available on the website. Now, the reason why they don't include it in the box. You know, when we used to get boxes of stuff, there's a big old manual, there's all kinds of paperwork. These companies have really doubled down on sustainability, which means they're trying to make the packaging recyclable. They're using less packaging, they're using less materials inside the boxes, and so it is a trend that we're definitely getting less in the box. But I think that's a good thing. In fact, the Sony headphone and I'm going to talk about in a moment. They actually the entire box is recyclable, it's paper, it's minimalistic and almost you couldn't believe that these are three hundred dollars he earbuds inside this box because it feels fake. It's like so minimalistic. So I think I think you have a legitimate phone here. I think that it's fine. The cable, you don't need to worry about getting a Sony cable. Any USBC cable will work. I would recommend just going on Amazon getting an Amazon Basics cable, or you can go to a company like mana Price and get a cable there. I mean, there's many many cables you can get. I think they're all going to be fine. A Balkan cable will be fine. Just get USB C to USB C. And do you have a charger for this phone? Okay, so you have a way to charge it? What about what was your old.
Speaker 9: Phone I couldn't use. I used to just plug it in. Uh, it came with a cable and a little adapter to your.
Speaker 1: To the wall. But does does your old does your old charging cable and adapter work with this new phone? Did you have USB C before.
Speaker 9: What I don't know. I have to look and see, Okay.
Speaker 1: So so check to see if that connects, uh to the you know, to the new phone if you have an older Android, you had an Android phone before? Which which one do you know?
Speaker 9: Oh, it's a piece of garbage, A Moto G.
Speaker 2: A Moto Okay.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it wasn't updating and I couldn't make it update. It was insane.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, the Moto G probably, unless it's a really old one, it probably should have USB C on it so that that cable should work, you know, if it's as it was a really old phone. I mean, Android has had USBC for a long time, so I think you should be okay with that charger and it should. As long as you plug it in and it charges your phone, you're good. You don't need a special cable for that. As for the manual, you can get that online easily. Just google Sony Experia one five one V and there is an entire manual on there, and I think you're good to go. I mean, I know it's different. Sony is not not as prevalent here in the US with their smartphones, so you know, a lot of people say the cameras are good on these. I haven't personally tested this one, but the reality is it's just a matter of Sony is not really focused on the US market. The US market is dominated by Samsung, it's dominated by Apple, and then the Google Pixel is trying and it's doing its best. So I think you're fine. I think your phone's fine. I don't think it's you know, defective or not legitimate, especially if you got it from best Buy. So, Gloria, thanks for calling. Appreciate that. Let's go to Kierra. Is that Am I saying that right in Indiana?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Hi, welcome to the show. I'm doing great.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 12: I was just driving and booking channels around and heard you on the radio and heard you talking about Samsung. So I'm a mobile gamer and I used sam fun phone for game. I can't have a stands on S twenty one Ultra and not too long ago, I think January, at the beginning of the year. I'm looking to upgrade it and I found up and looking around. So I have the Ultra and I do really good. I'm applying with it. I like the SPS and everything. Sure, he heaps up a little bit here and there, but it's death and I just put a.
Speaker 7: Fan on it.
Speaker 12: So I was looking around and I was going to upgrade to the S twenty two, and then I found out through watching YouTube videos with S twenty two Ultra actually isn't as good a gaming phone as an S twenty two plus. For some reason. The S twenty two plus gets a better SPS rate and.
Speaker 5: Stuff like that.
Speaker 12: So I was wondering. I was curious from you if you had any suggestions on mobile gaming phonies, like because I know they came out with the S twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. The S twenty three Ultra, from what I was told, when you know going through that whole thing, it has an improved cooling system, and so I think that that's probably the most important aspect for gaming, because you want to keep your phone cool while you're charging it, if you're gaming, while you have it plugged in, or you know, if you're gaming, it's it's running that phone pretty the most intense it can be run. So I personally would probably take a look at the S twenty three Ultra just because now the S twenty three entire lineup has the better vapor chamber cooling system, but they made a big deal about this when we were testing out the phone, and so it doesn't and just personally using the device, it doesn't get that warm. I mean compared to a lot of devices like my iPhone the other day it was getting like so warm, you know, it gets to that point where you can't see the screen anymore because it's so hot. But I haven't really seen that happen with the S twenty three Ultra, So i'd probably take a look into that and see some comparisons about that on YouTube, because I think that the new cooling system on the S twenty three Ultra is even better than what you're gonna find on the S twenty two. And if that's the important part to you, Kierra, that's what I would do. So thanks for the call. Appreciate you finding me on the radio today. Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Yes I'm reading the messages, Yes I'm reading the emails. Yes, I know you're mad at me. I'll read it all on the feedback segment coming up at the end of the show. If you want to get your comments in, I'm on x formerly Twitter at rich on Tech. You can also email hello at Richontech dot tv, or go to the website rich on Tech dot tv, hit contact and send your message that way. A couple of things I tested out on my trip to Korea a new pair of Sony headphones. These are new, I keep calling them headphones. They're really wireless earbuds. They're the WF one thousand X fives. Say that ten times fast. But I will tell you they're small. They have great noise cancellation. I mean these things are tiny, even the charging case is tiny. Really good sound quality. I mean it's Sony after all. They support high resolution music formats. They have a bunch of microphones on them, more than before. Plus AI technology to make sure that it's here your voice and only your voice when you're on phone calls, even when you're in a noisy environment. It actually knows when you're talking based on the vibration of the bones in your cheek. So it's really, really smart. It's tiny, twenty five percent smaller than before, twenty percent lighter than previous Sony earbuds. They are comfortable to wear. In fact, when I started the interview with himI on the plane, I still had my earbuds in. I didn't even realize that they were in because I forgot about them. Battery lasts forever on these things, up to eight hours on a charge. The case provides up to twenty four hours total. You plug them in for three minutes, you get sixty minutes worth of play. So if you forget to charge these and you need to use them, very very easy.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: These are the new Sony wireless earbuds, the WF one thousand x five. These would be the equivalent to like the Bows noise canceling headphones that go over your ears, but like for earbuds.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The coolest feature that I used on these, and I can't tell you how amazing this was multi device connection, so you can connect these too. I had it connected to three three devices. Maybe it just works with two, but I kept switching back and forth. And the coolest thing was I was editing on my laptop and I was listening to music on my phone and there is no need to switch. You don't have to say, oh, I want to connect, I want to play something on here. It just figured it out. When I started playing music on my phone, okay, the music came through the earbuds. When I started editing on my computer, the editing audio came through the earbuds, so they automatically switched with multi device connection. It was incredible. It's such a cool feature. It's kind of like what Apple does, but you have to have all Apple products. This works with any product and it's really really good. It also works with voice assistants, so you can have it set up to work with Google Assistant and Alexa they also have. The ear tips are very different. They are not silicone. They're almost like a spongy what with this like a foamy, spongy material, and it fits very comfortably in your ear. But I will tell you these definitely fell out of my ears a little or they felt like they were going to fall out a little bit more so that could be the ear tips. Maybe I have to adjust them. I did try a different size, but overall, I'm really really liking these. These earbuds from Sony Brand New again WF one thousand x five three hundred dollars though, so they are very very expensive, and so I will tell you that I also like a pair of earbuds from OnePlus called the Nord Buds that are forty dollars and they are really really good. So I don't know if you have to spend three hundred if you're traveling a lot and you want something that's really high quality and that convenience and the battery, these are really really good. I have not looked at what other reviewers are saying about them, so I can't tell you what they're saying. But for me personally, I think that these are pretty good. The only downside I would say is for three hundred dollars, i'd want them to feel like they're falling out of my ears less. The other thing I tested is this one World charger, and this was pretty incredible as well. This is a travel adapter, you know, like you get one of those power converters, you know, they're usually like twenty bucks. Well, the difference with this one is that it's got five It can charge five devices at once, including a tablet and a laptop at the same time. So on the bottom of this one World Adapter It has four USB outputs. It's got two USB C and two USBA, so you can charge things. The two USB c's can charge up to one hundred watts. That means it can charge your MacBook, it can charge a tablet, it can charge them both at the same time. It can charge your iPhone obviously you're Android, and it will do it all very very fast. And of course on the top there's a standard AC outlet so you can plug in anything. But the neat thing about this device is that it charges everything all at once. It works in over two hundred countries. You know. You slide out the little adapters to plug it in, and it was great. I have no problems with this device except the price. It is expensive again, it's about one hundred dollars. But the neat thing is if you get this device, if you're traveling a lot, you don't need this if you're not traveling the world a lot. But if you're traveling a lot and you don't want to carry a bunch of different adapters, then this is great because you don't need any other power plugs to plug into an adapter. So when I was traveling to Italy last year, I had you know my twenty twenty five dollars Epica adapter whatever it's called from Amazon, and it was great, But it doesn't charge the USB fast. I had a couple of USB ports, doesn't charge them fast. And you also need a separate plug to plug into there because you need an adapter to plug in your stuff. And so this is all in one, and they make them in different models. By the way, I tried the OneWorld one hundred. They've got a sixty five and a thirty. That's how many watts they output. So with the sixty five you could do a MacBook. With the thirty watt you can just do an iPad and an iPhone at the fast speeds. So again, if you want to see this stuff, I've got it linked up on my Instagram, at least for the travel adapter. It's at rich on Tech on Instagram. Let's go to doc doc is in Montana. Doc You're on with rich.
Speaker 8: Hey, how you doing it? Is a great show? Thank you every week.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: What can I help you with?
Speaker 8: Okay, let's start out by telling you I have really really bad eyesight, and when I get used to doing something, I like to keep it the same weight.
Speaker 1: Okay, understandable.
Speaker 8: I've been using Windows seven, but more and more websites are telling me that you have to update to ten. You can't. You can't update browsers or whatever. So I'm afraid of losing everything. I mean, how do you back stuff up? Well, you always hear back up the computer, but nobody tells you how to do it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good question. So the new Gosh, so you're on Windows seven. So Windows seven end of life was back in twenty twenty. So that's why you're getting these messages that say, you know, you could get infected with the viruses. The software is not up to date anymore. Windows seven, I don't believe that it has the Windows backup built in because Windows ten and Windows eleven has a simple Windows backup built into it. Let me see built in backup now.
Speaker 8: I was in touch with I think they called the Disability Helpline or whatever at Microsoft, and they sent me some of all a media creation tool, but they told me not to not to use it until I backed up the computer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, no, that would be okay, okay, So there is the backup tool on Windows seven. It's been a while so if you have a hard drive, do you have an external heart? Can you procure one of these?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 8: Can I put on a flash drive?
Speaker 1: Flash drive is probably not going to hold everything that you need, you know, because this is going to back up basically your entire computer.
Speaker 8: So I just ordered one that's big enough to do the whole computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, if you got the flash drive for the biggest yeah, then that that should be okay. So if you go to start control panel, system and security, they've got to back up and restore. And so you connect your drive, you say, set up back up, and then you will put your drive in there and then it will run the backup and you can choose what you want backed up. By default, it's going to be your documents, your music, your pictures, your videos. And then of course you can also do a whole system image as well, and so that that system image may take up a lot, and that's why I'm saying it may not fit on that drive.
Speaker 8: So all right, let me let me tell you what I'm looking at now. I went to my computer and I can see, you know, all the drives. One of them is the seed drive. Obviously it's the main drive. And then if I quick that I can go to use and then if I quick on that I can find Oh, my real name is Mark. I can find a fold of cold Mark. It has a lot closed lot next to it. I don't know what that's there for.
Speaker 1: That might brother. Can you open the folder? Yeah, okay, Well then the lock might just mean that it's encrypted, So that could be that that case, and.
Speaker 8: It shows you all of THEMS once you open ut of you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: Look, you can easily you can easily drag your stuff into this flask drive if you want to do it that way. I personally would use the built in tool. I would use the built in tool because that's going to get everything. It's going to find everything. It's going to do a system image if you want, which means you're going to have a full complete backup of this computer and then you'll be able to easily restore this if you need to if something goes wrong with the update. And that's what you're talking about that content creation tool. So again it's start control panel, system and security backup and restore and then select set up backup and then next thing, you know, you can put that in there and set your backup destination and you can back up to that flash drive that you were talking about. Hopefully you don't need the backup. Hopefully the content creation tool, everything migrates just fine. If you want something that's online, which might be easier, you can choose one of the backup solutions like I drive is a good solution and back blaze are both top rated. So perhaps look into something like that and you can just install their software and they would back up your computer and then you can go ahead with your migration to Windows ten or whatever you're going to upgrade too, and then if something goes wrong, you can then dip into these online backups. And the good news about the online backup is that it's in the cloud. It's fine. Now. If you're talking about a classic backup, we always recommend that you would have your computer backed up in at least two places, and that would be a physical drive and an online drive. And so you might think about a combination of those two things, especially if you're going through some sort of transition here with your computer where you're upgrading the software. You could lose what's on that drive and you want it somewhere else, and so having it on a backup drive external and in the cloud would probably be the best case scenario. But I think you'll be okay with just one of these things versus nothing. So again, Windows seven backup, and if you have Windows ten or eleven, there is a backup tool in there as well. So again, go into your account settings and uh it's accounts Windows backup and then you can back up all of your settings through there. So Windows does have a built in backup and I definitely recommend you use it. Okay, great call, Doc, thanks for calling from Montana today. Eight to eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here and let's go to Joanne. Let's go to Joanne in Lakewood, Colorado. Joanne, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 7: Oh hi, Rich, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for calling in.
Speaker 7: You're welcome.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 7: I love your show. I'm learning a lot. Here's my issue. When I'm charging my phone, I Phone thirteen pro, both chargers I have get hot, and then the app when I hold the little White Singing and my phone will also get hot. So my concern is twofold an electrical fire or will my battery blow up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I mean, look, it's it's a concern. It doesn't happen very often. So I think you're okay, and I think it'll be fine. But what type of charge or are you using?
Speaker 7: Okay, I have a clever eye, clever, and I have a balcan.
Speaker 1: Okay, is are these newer or older? How long have they been around?
Speaker 7: I would say within the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I think that you need a new charger, a new charging brick. So the part that plugs into the wall, do you know what it's rated at? What's the uh what's the rating? Like the wattage on it?
Speaker 7: Let me see. I'm looking at one. I can't. I can't see it. I No, I can't.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I would get a newer charger because if you have an older charger and may be charging your phone really slow, and if it's slow, the slower it's charging, the more it's going to heat up because it's taking longer.
Speaker 7: Oh excuse me, Rick, what I what I bought was those the faster chargers.
Speaker 1: Oh you did?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, So the iPhone you said you had an iPhone thirteen Promax. Yeah, okay, so the iPhone thirteen Pro can typically charge up to twenty watts. So the old chargers that that Apple used to include in the box were a five watch charger and so it was a lot slower. So I would ensure that your charger can support twenty watts because you want a fast charge to make sure that you're getting you know, the maximum speed, and that you're not taking as long to charge this phone and it's not heating up as much. The other thing I would look into is what's called a Gan charger ga N and this is a new type of material that they use inside the charger that actually keeps it cooler. And so it's I don't know if it's a composite, whatever it is, it's some sort of new material that they're using that it's it's basically gonna stay cooler because it's not your standard the old material that they were using that would warm up as much. And so if you have a GAN charger, they typically suppor or a higher speed and a cooler charge. So if you're worried about that and your charger is warming up, I would definitely look into one of these chargers. So I know Belkan makes one. Anchor makes them. There's a Spegan makes them. I mean a lot of different companies make them, and so you can get these different chargers that are ga n it's called Have you seen that on your charger? Do you know?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I would maybe look into that because I've pretty much switched to that type of charger and it's a lot cooler, it's a lot faster, and it's kind of the new technology. It's been around for i'd say two or three years. So I would look for the one that I like. If I had to recommend. One that's pretty inexpensive is Spegan makes one called the Arcstation Pro thirty and it's uh. They're also smaller, by the way than the standard chargers we used to get. So I know you don't want to spend money on your charger. I understand that if you don't want to, I think you'll be okay. But if you're saying your phone's warming up and your charger's warming up and you're concerned, you might want to try a new charger that's with some new technology and perhaps that will make things keep a little bit cooler. There.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: I was very helpful.
Speaker 1: All right, Joanne, appreciate it. Thanks for calling in today.
Speaker 7: You're welcome, all right.
Speaker 1: Rich On Tech triple eight rich one oh one eight eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, We've got code with Claws. I went to a demo day where these students who had never coded before showed off the apps that they created, and it was really cool. So I'll bring you inside that coming up right after the break. Let me just tell you about two quick things. Spotify raising prices for the first time since they launched, So don't be surprised if your Spotify price goes up next month to ten dollars and ninety nine cents a month, so the individual plan is going up by a dollar. Spotify launch in two thousand and eight, came to America in about I think twenty eleven, and they have not raised prices. It's been nine ninety nine a month since then. Premium duo fifteen bucks a month, Premium Family seventeen dollars a month, Student price six dollars student price, and the other thing to note, Chat GPT is now available for Android. The official Chat GPT app is now available for Android. Coming up next we'll talk Code with Claws triple eight Rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. You're listening to Rich on Tech, Rich on Tech, Rich Demiro here talking technology with you. Recently, I was at the Tower Theater Apple Store in downtown Los Angeles for a different kind of summer camp. It was demo day for a camp called Code with Claws, which is a free program for students ages thirteen to eighteen. It was started by supermodel and entrepreneur Carly klaus.
Speaker 13: So in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 14: Were founded by Carly klass supermodel, philanthropist and activist, and she had this idea through her own personal experience of learning how to code herself, that there should be a space like this that was offered for young people, and so she created COVID Class back in twenty fifteen, and here we are eight years later, bigger.
Speaker 13: And better, with again five thousand scholars this.
Speaker 14: Summer and many more to come in the future.
Speaker 1: Oh see. Emo Peoria is CEO of Code with.
Speaker 14: Class and the benefit is really a couple things. One is they learn that they can participate in an industry that often doesn't look like them, so doesn't have representation across race and gender. They learn that they can overcome personal challenge and learn to.
Speaker 13: Do a hard thing in just short ten days.
Speaker 14: They also learn, I think, a really great set of skills around collaboration because the final project which you're seeing here presented at Apple.
Speaker 13: Is a group project.
Speaker 14: So they work on it together in teams of four or five, and they learn collaboration and communication and how to come to consensus, and how to.
Speaker 13: Think critically and how to make trade offs. And so they're really learning a lot of what I will call like.
Speaker 14: Twenty first century leadership skills in the process of also learning how to cope.
Speaker 1: This summer, there are more than sixty camps in twenty cities teaching skills like machine learning, mobile app development, data science, and web development.
Speaker 14: To me is the great benefit long term is that they will walk away with community that will serve them throughout their careers and through their education process.
Speaker 13: And so that's what we find scholars are really attached to is not just the two weeks of learning, but the sort of lifelong community that they join.
Speaker 1: Demo day is where the students show off their hard work.
Speaker 15: Honestly, Coder's colos was a wonderful experience. I came in with a zero knowledge of Swiss UI, and by the end of it, as you just saw, I presented an entire mobile application. I think the best part of it was the atmosphere. The friends that I made, the instructors that I as were amazing, and I was really happy that they were able to make this learning experience so enjoyable for me despite it being challenging. Because it was challenging, there were moments where I kind of like felt like giving up because it was really hard, but I pushed through with the support of them and eventually made it.
Speaker 1: To hear Alixi Sosa's team created an app called unhoused to help bring awareness to a growing issue in their community.
Speaker 15: But there are a lot of programs like this that basically tell you you can be anyone and you can code like it doesn't matter your identity who you are. You can come in and you can create something wonderful with programming skills. So I would say to look for programs like these because they're there, and to not be scared of just trying trying it out, because once you get over like that learning curve of this is really hard.
Speaker 13: It's going to be like pretty good.
Speaker 1: From there, Arianna Unoki's group created an app called hands On, which aims to get people involved in volunteering.
Speaker 16: It was great, Honestly, going to the class every day was a positive experience for me, and I knew everything.
Speaker 13: Like every day that I would be.
Speaker 16: There, it would just be great, positive like energy and really uplifting and I felt really.
Speaker 13: Included every single day.
Speaker 16: Oh, I had no idea about coding. I'd not done any coding before I joined, so everything was so new to me, and it was way harder than I expected. But honestly, I learned so much and I'm really glad I did it. Honestly, I'm making sure to keep contact with everyone that I met. Everyone that I met was really amazing and too. I like that I learned about coding so that I could use it and for future experiences. Possibly I might go into computer science. So it's great that I got this, that this opportunity.
Speaker 1: What do you think people should know about coding? This seems kind of intimidating, it is.
Speaker 13: I was intimidated, you know.
Speaker 16: I think coding is very like the basics of it are very simple, and it's really just having to memorize all the different codes. Google was my best friend during this, so I googled a lot of things. But once I got the hang of it, it was really easy, and you know, it's just getting a lots of use get used to.
Speaker 1: This is the fifth year Apple has supported the organization through their Community Education initiative.
Speaker 17: Yeah, the way that we work is, you know, we work in communities all across the country, and so we partner with organizations that are nonprofits, community based organizations to really again provide them with the resources and the access that they need to bring these coding opportunities and to learn coding and creativity to their communities. And Code with Classy is a great example of an organization that we partner with.
Speaker 1: Stacey rb is Director of Community Education Initiatives for Apple, and you know, for.
Speaker 17: Code with Classy and Apple, we have a shared goal of expanding access and ensuring that aspiring developers and entrepreneurs can make their dreams become a reality. We've also have seen that an organization like Code with class really can create amazing community. They have done an incredible job of scaling to reach more than ten thousand learners, creating an inspiring learning opportunity and learning community along the way, and I have to say it has been such a privilege for me to see firsthand, even as recently this week here in Austin, to meet some of the scholars, and I'm just blown away by the talent and the passion and the commitment to be this force for good within their community. You know, we see that coding is just this universal language, and by learning how to code, understanding what AI and mL, machine learning and artificial intelligence, learning about those tools really helps these young young women and young scholars have the tools that they need in order to build a new world and solve real community challenges, community challenges that they care about, not necessarily that we're telling them or a challenge, but they're identifying what these challenges are. And programs like this really build confidence in these young coders and give them the skills to empower them to change the world for the better. And that world can be the global world or right there in their local community. There's so much that a young scholar at these coding camps can learn in addition to coding, that they can use. These are transferable skills to almost any of the workforce opportunities out there today, collaboration, creativity, problem solving, communication. All of these are skills that they're developing as they're going through this camp and learning how to code.
Speaker 1: Learning to code is just one aspect of this camp. Building a worldwide community of the next generation of leaders is the real takeaway.
Speaker 17: Well, we definitely want to the world better than we found it here at Apple, and I think all of this lends itself to that. I really do think that the young scholars, for example, that are attending these coding classes and these coding camps, they are going to walk out of here with a renewed sense of confidence, having learned a lot of additional skills, and be part of a community that they can leverage for many years to come.
Speaker 1: Such a great program and such a cool location. If you haven't been to the Apple Store Tower Theater in downtown Los Angeles, I highly recommend you give it a visit. I've covered code with Colossi several times, and although it's too late to get into the last camps being held this summer, there's always next year. There's no coding experience required, and yes it's free. I'll put a link on my website to learn more at Richontech dot tv. There you can also donate to support the camp. More rich on Tech coming your way. Give me a call if you have a question about technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two or one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech, rich DeMuro talking technology with you. You can find me on social media at rich on Tech. So, if you have an Android and you've been jealous of the whole air tag situation, things are getting better. This week, Google is rolling out it's new safety feature which will tell you if unknown trackers are around you, and that includes an AirTag. So this used to be a feature that was sorely lacking on the Android side of things. But the big companies Android, Google and Apple and Samsung, they're all working together for a set of standards that all the phones will tell tell you, tell the owners when one of these bluetooth tracking devices is around. And the Bluetooth tracking devices from a variety of companies. So the good news is now the Android will tell you that. You can also check manually if you go into I look for this. It's not available on every phone because it's rolling out, but you can scan your surroundings. If you're worried that you might have a tracker nearby, you can go to Android Settings, then Safety and Emergency, and then there will be an option for unknown tracker alerts and you can tap scan now. Now, keep in mind your phone may not have that feature just yet, because this is brand new and it's rolling out, and it's probably going to roll out through a software update through the Google Play Services, which you can manually update, but it's kind of tricky and complicated, so I'm not going to tell you how to do it right here, but if you Google online, there is a way to update your Google Play services. But otherwise I would update your apps, make sure the software is updated on your phone. Now, if you're wondering when Google or when Android is going to have a proper bluetooth tracker, that's coming later this year. So there's going to be Bluetooth trackers from a variety of companies that use Google's new find My network, just like Apple's, and again this will be much much better. You're not gonna be able to use an air tag with Android, They're not going that far, but these companies will have Google Android versions of these tracking devices. So Chipolo is one company that I believe is coming out with them very soon, Chipolo Chiplo. They make a lot of great trackers. But yeah, so by the end of the year, all this whole tracking situation will be will be pretty good. All right, let's get to the feedback segment. We have a voicemail. So if you go to my website rich on tech dot TV, in the lower right hand corner, you'll notice there's a little there's a little microphone. You can hit that microphone and leave me a voicemail. And that is exactly what Kathleen did.
Speaker 18: Hey, rich I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am tech illiterate and getting that reading app was so simple.
Speaker 1: And it's going to come in handy.
Speaker 18: Thank you for everything you do making life easier.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Kathleen, and thanks for leaving the message. Again, if you want to leave a voicemail, you could do it on the website rich on tech dot TV. Just hit a little microphone icon the lower right hand corner. What Kathleen is referring to is a segment I did on TV about reading apps. So these are apps that can read your articles out loud. So I talked about ways to kind of cut through your reading list. You know, you've got that list of items you want to read online, but it's kind of annoying to get through them all. So I talked about a bunch of different ways you can do that. I'll put the link on the show notes. But I mentioned pocket app, I mentioned the reader mode on Safari, and the one that she's specifically referring to, I believe is the Android Reading Mode app, which I mentioned on this show previously, and it basically takes any article on the Android and makes it really easy to read, with better fonts, better readability, bigger and it's just really really nice. So thanks for that, Kathleen, thanks for leaving the message, and I'll put a link to that story on the website as well. All right, let's see Marla said, I'm really I need advice on what to do with Evernoe. I have over six thousand notes and a few thousands are recipes that I can access from any device. I've used Evernote since it began. I heard your show about other note programs I would like to switch, but I really need your advice, Marla. I will tell you that I have not found a replacement for Evernote that is exactly like Evernote. But I will tell you that I do know a place that you can keep your recipes that would be pretty good. It is an app called recipe Keeper. And what's cool about this app is that it sinks your recipes across all your different devices. But the coolest part is that it parses out the recipe. So I don't know if you've ever visited a website with a recipe on it. The blogger it sounds like me at the beginning of the show. They tell you all about their life before they get to the recipe. Oh, I love the fluffiness of eggs in this pasta. I'm like, just give me the recipe. And you know, they don't get to the recipe till the final end of the page because they want you to scroll down and listen and you know, look at the ads and all that stuff and then follow them on Instagram whatever. So this app called recipe Keeper, which is available for iOS and Android, will will actually go through and just find the actual recipe and put it into this app and bookmarket for you. And it's really really cool. And then it puts into categories. It is pretty incredible. I have two recipes saved in here, and I should probably save some more. But anyway, I think that if you're liking ever Note and it's working for you, Marla, just continue to use it. Because I've tried every program in the world and they all have pros and cons. Ever No is still the best overall combination of features. The only thing I really have a problem with is that it's very expensive one hundred and thirty bucks a year, and it's very proprietary. A lot of these new apps like Obsidian and Notion and all these other apps are in what's the other one I was using Joplin. They all keep your notes in a format that is much more exportable, and ever No not so much. Let's see Mike says iPhone pop up. I hope you had a great weekend. I have an iPhone question. I have an iPhone, my wife has an iPhone. When I play a podcast or music on my iPhone, I get the little box on my lock screen. However, the box also takes over the lock screen on my wife's phone. We're on the same Wi Fi network, but she has a different Apple ID. Is this some sort of setting and can I shut it off. It only happens when we're in the same room. If my wife goes upstairs, she gets her lock screen back to normal. Mike, I'm not really sure if this is an Apple thing. I think it might be a Spotify thing. If you're both shit aring a Spotify account, or if you're both using Spotify, it allows you to control that Spotify from different devices. That could be what's happening. But I don't know if that happens with Apple Music, so I need a little bit more information about what that is, what that's doing. But the fact that you said you're on the same Wi Fi network is a big clue because that definitely does some apps do take advantage of that and share the information among the devices on that network, So I probably need a little bit more information about that. The different Apple idea is smart because I know a lot of people share Apple ideas, especially with their kids' phones, and next thing you know, you're getting the same text messages on all the different devices, which I don't like. Let's see Steven says, Hey, Rich, I love the show, and I can surprisingly say I like it as much as Leo's. You're doing a terrific job. Oh thank you. As far as note taking, I agree that Apple Notes is perfect, almost perfect. However, I want to recommend crap. It's more like an Apple like version of Notion. It's very feature rich. It looks great. I've been using Apple Notes and it has sketches which I don't understand. Yes, I think that's good too. Let's see. Oh my gosh, so many let's see. Okay, let's just get to the Twitter feedback because I know you're all waiting for it. Angela. You know I went off about Twitter earlier. X Angela says, hey, Rich, listening to you today, and I agree, what's the big deal. I've got an iPhone and it's weird for sure. About the icon on the screen, Angela. Chris says, thank you for the little rant on the Twitter name change. Exactly, no big deal. People need to get over it. Love what you do. Pete says, your spastic Twitter rant this morning reminds me why I miss Leo so much. KFI weekends were much more enjoyable with him. Well, looks like we lost the listener today. Sorry Pete, but you know I mean I got a call spade A spade. Tina says, I listened to you every weekend, and you always have a demeanor. Today you are very aggressive. Maybe a nap would help. FYI, I really like how your show. I really like how your show is packed with info compared to the the guy you replaced, And James says, some of us listen to the show to hear the callers in big caps with everyday questions that we may have had in the past, or are currently having, or have had in the future. But you spend the first twenty minutes giving travel info on South Korea and two more very long promotional interviews on Samsung. I guess we listeners have different expectations of the program. Well, James, it is a different program. It is my program. It's called rich on Tech, and it is the information that I think you should know. So I hope you continue to listen. I will continue to do the interviews I think are pertinent, the news I think is pertinent, and the callers I think are pertinent, including your feedback. Not everyone gives the negative feedback too. My name is rich Dedmiel. Thanks so much for listening. That's gonna do it. Check out the show notes rich on Tech dot tv next week. Kimber streams of Wirecutter. We'll talk about the best chromebooks and PCs for under five hundred dollars and under a thousand. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on tech. My name is Rich Damiro. Thanks, thanks so much for listening. I'll talk to you real soon