Speaker 1: Let's keep rolling. Adam Judy is joining us. We're going to talk about the Seattle Mariners.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You can follow Adam's coverage in the Seattle Times. Adam, great to have you back on the show. Appreciate the time, and we'll just start nice and simple. How do you grade the off season right now for Seattle?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me Fellas. Yeah, the Mariners, there's some bubbling frustration I think of brewing with Mariners fans. I would grade it as a solid BB plus for the Mariners, but it does feel a little incomplete. I know the Mariners are still in the market for a proven veteran bat that they'd like to be able to insert either.
Speaker 2: At the top or the middle of the lineup.
Speaker 3: We can talk about the Brendan Donovan continued rumors here. But yeah, it does feel in some ways incomplete. Mariners have subtracted Jorge Polonco and Gino Suarez from the lineup that was really good and really deep and made it to Game seven of the ALCS, And so I think some fans here understand and are wondering, Okay, what's what's the plan here? You know, we're right there. This is maybe the best Mariners team they've had here in a generation, and they have reasonable World Series hopes this year. So what are we doing to add, you know, one more proven guy here? I'm hearing from a lot of Mariners fans as we get closer and closer to spring training.
Speaker 2: Here is this the lineup? Is this the team? What's going on?
Speaker 3: I do know the Mariners are continuing to scour the market and look for one more proven bat. I would be surprised if they don't do something by Opening Day, if not by by the start of spring training.
Speaker 2: But right now, you know, it's been a solid off season. They were they.
Speaker 3: Struck first with with Josh Naylor. That was a big commitment on their part. Five years, ninety two point five million dollars, the biggest free agent contract they've handed out to a hitter since Robbie Cano in twenty thirteen. So from the Mariner's perspective, obviously that was their priority. He's their middle of the order presence. He fit in perfect lee Naylor did with his team in this clubhouse. Obviously in the second half last year and deep into the playoffs. I think because of the timing of that in mid November, you have a lot of antsy Marion fans when are okay, now what now?
Speaker 2: What? Now what?
Speaker 3: But overall it's been a good offseason, but in some ways it does still feel incomplete.
Speaker 4: All right, Only one thing I want to say, they need what a third baseman? Didn't they go get a guy that loves people, love in Seattle, and he loves Seattle. And he's still sitting on the free agent market name Gino Suarez. Why have have there been discussions like that? Seems like the most perfect, easiest fit of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a lot of ways, it really is.
Speaker 3: And he's still out there, and I think the Mariners have been in contact.
Speaker 2: He has the same agency as Julio Rodriguez.
Speaker 3: There's great relationships there between the Mariners and Gino and.
Speaker 2: His agency too. And Gino is thirty four years old.
Speaker 3: And then when you kind of dive into his numbers, Yeah, he had a season fifty two home runs, including three in the postseason, and his Grand Slam in Game five of the ALCS will go down as one of the biggest swings in marinern history. Absolutely, And so yeah, he checks all the boxes. Third base, awesome clubhouse guy, He's been here, he knows what it's like to hit in T Mobile Park.
Speaker 2: That said, and part of the.
Speaker 3: Mariners playing from day one this offseason, they've been really open about this. They have a lot of really young, talented infielders coming up knocking at the door right now.
Speaker 2: They don't want to block.
Speaker 3: Those guys, and specifically we're talking about Colt Emerson. But they've got Ben Williamson who played about half the season last year, was sent back.
Speaker 2: Down to Triple A when they did get Ginos Juarez.
Speaker 3: But Ben Williamson is certainly one of the best defensive third basemen, even as a as a rookie last year he proved that. But they want to give those young guys a chance. And then that second base you got another one in Cole Young, who just turned twenty two, is still going to be one of the youngest players in the majors this year.
Speaker 2: They want to give those guys some runway.
Speaker 3: And I think that's just part of the economics of Mariner baseball and economics of baseball for teams in the mid market to smaller market. You've got to find a way to get these young guys some opportunities and some runway. And not to sound like you know, executives speak, but there's a lot of truth in that too. When you've invested a lot, you've invested first round draft picks, you've invested a lot of time and resources and developing these young guys. At some point they're showing you, hey, we're ready for a real opportunity. And I think cold Emerson, first and foremost top ten prospect in the sport, has a chance to go win this third base job in spring training would not shock me at all if he's the talk of Mariners camp by the time we get into to mid March, in part because the Mariners are losing a ton of guys to the World Baseball Classic, He's going to get a ton of it bats in spring training to show what he can do.
Speaker 2: And I think he's as mature as any.
Speaker 3: Twenty year old the Mariners have had coming through here since Ken Griffy Junior, Frankly and maybe Alex Rodriguez. And he's that good, he's that mature, he's that advanced, and so I think the Mariners are really curious to see what he is.
Speaker 2: And if they signed Genosuoraz.
Speaker 3: To a you know, two year deal, three year deals, he would probably prefer you know, they feel like they're blocking maybe one of the best prospects in the entire sport.
Speaker 5: Or was it the trade deadline last year? Does it feel like, well, I could I could do a huge commitment to somebody for an entire season, maybe the next three seasons. Or look what we picked up at the trade deadline and Gino Suarez, who had, like you said, the biggest home run in Mariner's history, marriage postseason history, and we picked up Josh Nayler who stole one hundred bases for us in like a month and a half. So do they did that kind of make them feel like, eh, we'll just wait, we'll kind of we'll just kind of hang around the edges and then we can make a trade deadline acquisition. Or do they truly think they can replace Jorge Polanco's one of one thirty six ops plus at either second base or third base with one of these young twenty year old prospects.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a little bit of both.
Speaker 3: I mean, not just this last trade deadline, but you go back even five years twenty twenty trade deadline, they brought in Andres Munios and Matt Brash, key pieces of their bullpens.
Speaker 2: Still now at the trade deadline.
Speaker 3: They got Luis Castillo in twenty two rand euros or rain at the trade deadline, and then you add in Naylor and Gino Suarez. I don't think any team in baseball has done more than the Mariners have the last handful of years at the summer trade deadline, and so that's definitely.
Speaker 2: Part of the Mariner's calculus.
Speaker 3: It does feel like in some ways that prospects have a little more value in the summer, just because there are maybe a few more teams that recognize they're out of it at that point and are willing to trade some of their veterans, like Arizona was this last year.
Speaker 2: But again, at the same time, the Maritors, they've.
Speaker 3: Proven they have a pretty good development system and they got to keep those guys churning.
Speaker 2: Yep. Again, part of it is the economics of it. These guys are.
Speaker 3: Young, they're home there, they're good, but they're also cheap, and you're gonna have them, you know, fit the budget really nicely for the next few years.
Speaker 2: And obviously that helps too.
Speaker 3: I think part of calculus again is like you just paid cal Rawley, You've got Julio Rodriguez, committed long term now nailor some of these young pitchers are starting to get obviously expensive in their arbitration years too, So h with the Mariners and what they're willing to do with their payroll commitments that that was all part of the equation as well. And obviously, you know, ginos Warez was a fifteen million dollar player last year. The Mariners got them, you know, for two months at five million dollars, so pretty big bargain for them. Josh Naylor in the same boat too, So that's certainly certainly part of the calculus for them, and they've proven it too, right again the.
Speaker 2: Last handful of years.
Speaker 3: If they see something that they need Jerry to Poto Justin Hollander at the Mariner's front office have shown a willingness to go out and be aggressive, maybe more aggressive than anyone, to fill those needs in the summer.
Speaker 4: So the a is this a budget thing or is this a just they believe that much in their prospects because listen, everyone on here loves prospects. We love prospects. Yeah, we love yay go prospects. Everyone we have we have the seventeenth rated farm system. Whatever the Mariners are and everyone pops, you know, pumps up their farm system. But you know who isn't a prospect A Johinio Suarez because he's gonna hit you forty and you know that and what he's gonna be. So listen, I get it.
Speaker 5: I do get it.
Speaker 4: I understand that you don't want to block guys, but I also come from the school of hey, if I have a proven commodity, I'll take the proven commodity. Anyways, that's I'm off that. Now let's go to something else. The Marriers have a lot of starting pitchers. Would they be willing to trade one of them to get a piece that they need, whether it's a second baseman or a third baseman.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Yeah, they're not at that point.
Speaker 3: And again, a guy like Brendan Donovan, who they've been and talks with Saint Louis throughout the winner, I still think the Mariners are one of the favorites, if not the favorite, to land don In here, who certainly feels like he's going to get dealt. Before the start of the season, the Marriags were willing, I think the last couple of years to at least entertain the idea of moving one of those starting pitchers of Bryce Miller.
Speaker 2: Brian Wo's name came up a lot a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: I don't know how close the marriage were to dealing Brian Wo, but I know he was on the table at one point, and obviously they're certainly glad they didn't.
Speaker 2: I think he was.
Speaker 3: He's the top ten pitcher in all of baseball right now, and Logan Gilberts George Kirby are coming off, you know, an injury riddled years a little bit. They really settled in late in the season and the postseason two, and then you've got the rock. Luis Castillo is sort of the steady presence there, the one real veteran guy.
Speaker 2: That they love.
Speaker 3: But no, I, you know, that's one of the questions I had asked over and over at the beginning of this offseason, all right, where are we at with the starting rotation? You know, is it time to move one of those guys to really get that impact bat? And the Marriagers were pretty steadfast. You know, it would have to be something, something wild, something substantial, and I don't even know what that would look like, frankly at this stage of the offseason.
Speaker 2: So no, I would be. I would be stunned if they moved one of those five guys right now.
Speaker 3: That not to say they won't at some point. You know, they've got two of the best starting pitching prospects too. Sorry AJ to keep going back to the prospects, but they they This is one thing the Mariners have proven they do, they do really well, is develop young pitching in the minors. They've got Ryan Sloan just I think turned twenty years old today. Guy who I'm getting, Garrett Cole comps too. He's got the size, the fastball, he's he's got commands of the zone. And then the number three pick last year at LSU, Kate Anderson is already knocking at the door. People are very high on him. So it's a nice problem to have if you're the Mariners. Too much good starting pitching and at some point you know they're gonna have to break up with these five guys that have been together now a few years.
Speaker 2: But I think with the Mariners where.
Speaker 3: They're at right now, they see themselves as the definitive favorites in the aos.
Speaker 2: They see themselves as one of the.
Speaker 3: Favorites certainly in the American League, and They're going to lean on that starting pitching again again.
Speaker 2: Those guys were banged up a little bit this last year.
Speaker 3: If they can keep those guys healthy or relatively healthy all season, I think they have pretty high hopes for what they can do together.
Speaker 5: This might be your toughest answer you're ever going to have to give, because AJ and I do not believe in spring training stats. What are Mariners fans and what is the Mariners as a front office or the coaching staff need to see from Cole Young and cold Emerson to say yes, they are starting second basement and third basement respectfully, because I don't think I don't think Ben Williamson's powers there. Maybe the defense is there, but to say ooh, he's definitely our big league starting third baseman this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for me.
Speaker 3: Cold Emerson, I think from day one, even before they drafted him, they were so impressed just by the makeup, the maturity he was. Cold Emerson was still seventeen years old when they drafted himhim at a small town Ohio and every step of the way the last few years he's checked every box. He made his debut in Triple A in late September and and and played in the PCL Playoffs with the Tacoma Rainiers and hit two home runs.
Speaker 2: He's a lefty swinger and both those home runs were.
Speaker 3: Off lefties too, so by all accounts, with his minor league track record, he's kind of platooned immune as well. So I think the Marriers are really intrigued by that. How we fa Harry fairs early on here spring training against lefties, but he spends a lot of time, most of his time at shortstop. I think the Mariners do see him as the eventual heir apparent to JP Crawford at shortstop, But what does he look like at third base? I do think by all accounts and scouts I've talked to, he's got the arm to play third, he's got the instincts, he's got the athleticism. Just how does he look there over a month consistently? What does he need to work on there defensively? But I think the profile, the makeup with the bat is all there again, now he just needs to see it regularly against some major league pitching. And again, I think ultimately the question is how comfortable the marriager is going to be to hand a really important position like that third base, to a twenty year old who's played all of you know, six or seven games above double A.
Speaker 2: So that's gonna be the real question.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're again circling back to just who he is and the makeup, the commitment, the attitude. I've heard a lot of comps to cal Rawley just in terms of the makeup and his desire to win, his competitiveness, his maturity, and I think obviously any marin fans would love another guy who who has similar makeups as cal Rawly.
Speaker 4: Right now, Adam, can the bullpen be as good as it was last year? Munno spire that whole brush, that whole makeup of what because they threw a lot Okay, they did throw a lot of innings, and they threw a lot of innings in the postseason. So can they be as good and as effective as they were last year?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think coming into the offseason, priority one was re signing Josh Naylor. Priority one A was bolstering that bullpen, and they did that with what they the Mariners feel like is one of the most underrated relievers of baseball, Jose Ferrara.
Speaker 2: Obviously, they gave.
Speaker 3: Up one of the top catching prospects in all of baseball, Harry Ford and that deal with the Nationals to bring Freer here to Seattle, and the Mariners really wanted another lefty, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're still in talks trying to bring.
Speaker 2: In another established, you know, mid bullpen lefty type.
Speaker 3: I think that is something that's still on their their wish list here. But it's a fair question. They really rode those guys, particularly Gabe Spier.
Speaker 2: Edward Bizardo.
Speaker 3: Those guys were just gasped by a game step of the Alcs. You saw it.
Speaker 2: You can question some of the bullpen, you.
Speaker 3: Should stuff, but those guys got them there, They rolled them hard, and they were gonna got to ride them to the end. That's that's what you had. And those are the guys who'd come through so often for the Mariners. But yeah, it's a I think it's a question for any team that goes that deep into the playoffs and has to rely on the same four or five guys so much. Gabe Spier, I'm really curious to see he's gonna pitch for Team USA and the WBC.
Speaker 2: I was a little surprised at that not that he didn't deserve it.
Speaker 3: I think he was the most dominant lefty in baseball last year out of the Bullplant, outside of our oldest Chapman, and I'm curious to see it, you know, what he looks like this year, what he looks like for Team USA two. But he certainly deserves it with it with the year he had. But I do think bringing Ferrera in and they brought in some you know, kind of you know, under the radar types too. It's it's something the Manners love to do with their pitching development, you know, bring in the guys that maybe were cast off from other teams and maybe they see something or tweak something, or ask the guy to throw more sliders they love to do, or just throw them more strikes at the end of the day. Paul seawalld is maybe the best example they've had of that in recent years. But they always seem to find some hidden gem two that becomes a key seventh inning guy for them.
Speaker 2: So again, a j it's a it's a really good question. It's a fair question.
Speaker 3: But if you were to lay out just the guys that they have, Andre's Munios, Matt brash Farrer, Spyer Bizartro. I think the Airners kind of line up those five with with any five really in the American League right now for.
Speaker 5: A team to strapped for cash, you always look at every transaction, go oh, is that a good use of it? Rob Refsneider is somebody that wasn't brought up at all in this conversation. Was he in need that they have? When you look at their when you look at their outfield, it's all right handed with Victor Roblace, you have, you have Rosarina and Julio Rodriguez. Are they bringing in Refschneider just because of the fact that he can hit lefties really well and can Zone is left handed, and really they're paying a platoon DH six point two five million dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be honest, Eric, I was a little surprised at that number at the end of the day two. But again it shows me that the Mariners, yes, you could say they're pretty right handed heavy in the outfield, but off the bench, and then when you're talking about a platoon sort of DH guy too.
Speaker 2: They really like dom Ken Zone.
Speaker 3: Luke Raley is looking for a bounce back season. But both those guys are lefties. They're gonna get some time in right field and d H, and then ref Snyder will kind of be your backup, first, basement two and maybe fourth fifth outfielder type. But by all accounts too, he's a great fit in the clubhouse. And I'm sure every team says that, you know, they want good clubhouse guys, but I think the Marriers have really embodied that, probably as much as anyone in recent years. It's a really really good, really strong, mature clubhouse led by Cal Rawley, JP Crawford and you can throw certainly Julio sort of growing up and emerging in a leadership role here too. But they they've they've heard great things about ref Snyder and again he crushed lefties the last couple of years, and they feel like as a pinch hitter, part time DH, part time you know, right field or wherever you need to plug him in, he was kind of that that final piece they needed to round out their bench. And I'm curious to get to know him a little bit better and see what he actually looks like up close. But I do feel like it was a very specific need and the one guy that they realized they probably had to overpay for a little bit versus the market, just to make sure and get him across country here and ultimately sign him.
Speaker 5: I think Rob rif Schnyder's a great deal. I just think I hear all the Mariners because he's a great player and he has really really done a great job and unbelievable dude. But just the whole Mariners like spending money. You're like, how did they spend money and why did they spend it on this? So that was a good answer by you. Last question, we haven't even really talked about cal Raley. Is cal Raley going to be able to have I'm not even gonna say the same type of year. The reason we thought he was the MVP is because it was a historic year. But is there a drop off in cal Raley to forty home runs? That doesn't that detrimentally hurt the Mariners because they needed all sixty homers last year.
Speaker 3: The answer, it's not a great answer, but yes and no, I mean, where are those twenty exture home runs gonna come? Right?
Speaker 2: If you're not bringing you know, again, I'm not ruling out.
Speaker 3: Gino Suarez, but if you're not bringing Gino back, you lost twenty six homers from Jorge Polonco too.
Speaker 2: You got to find that power from somewhere.
Speaker 3: I think the Marriagers were third in baseball and home runs last year, behind the Dodgers and Yankees. They were also third, I think in stolen bases as well, So they tried to be versatile and diverse.
Speaker 2: With their offense. But it's gonna look a little bit different this year.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone reasonably expects Cal to hit sixty again. But yeah, you're right, what does it look like if it's only forty only forty or forty five. But he's in the prime of his career. He's in great shape. I actually ran into Cal yesterday. He bought new property in Seattle last summer and he's getting settled in here and he's got I think five acres now, and he was actually meeting with some guys to get new batting cages installed on his property.
Speaker 2: Who was really excited about that.
Speaker 3: So I don't think there's anyone questioning cal Raley's work ethic.
Speaker 2: Or his commitment. But again, you guys would know better than I would.
Speaker 3: Catching every day, catching as much as he does, and then working with the pitching staff the way he does hitting for both sides of the play. I mean, his time, every minute of his day during the season is sort of accounted for.
Speaker 2: He's got his routine down, and you have to.
Speaker 3: Wonder at some point, you know, does he need to take a few extra days off here and there? What are they doing to manage his workload? But if you ask Cal, he wants to be in there. He wants to be behind the plate every day. Again, he's twenty eight, twenty nine years old, in the prime of his career, the picture of health knocking on wood for him. But I'm not sure there's too much of a worry about him not hitting fifty or sixty home runs. You know, you would think again, Hulio Rodriguez twenty five years old. Now, it's like we've seen him get a little bit better, a little bit better each year working on something. Is this the year where he finally gets off to a good start too, and he becomes the ten war player.
Speaker 2: I think everyone feels like is inside of him.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's the difference right there, Josh Naylor, for a full season, you get him in the middle of that lineup.
Speaker 2: The mayorsol will figure it out somewhere.
Speaker 3: But again, the power really was a big part of their identity offense last year, and they're obviously gonna have to find those home runs somewhere.
Speaker 2: If Kallas, you're subtracting.
Speaker 3: Twenty from him, and then you're losing paalon Co and you're losing Geno two.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious to see how that unfolds. Absolutely, godam mostly.
Speaker 4: I know we're a baseball show, okay, but there is a big game in about ten days, nine days or so. And listen, I'm a Bears fan, but everyone, including my family, all knows that my one.
Speaker 5: B team is the Seahawks.
Speaker 4: And I've been a Seahawks fan a long time because I have friends that work in the organization. So has anyone even noticed that the Mariners are in the offseason or is it all the twelfth man? And by the way, can we get them to wear these uniforms that's in the Super Bowls?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 5: Because these helmets are sick.
Speaker 2: I'm actually I've got a hustle out here.
Speaker 3: I've been called out of the back end of the bullpen to help with helpless.
Speaker 2: Seahawks coverage at the Super Bowl. So I'll be there. I'll go put in a good word and see if we can.
Speaker 3: That's my preference. Those are the helmets I grew up with here in Seattle too. With the Seahawks.
Speaker 2: It's a great look and it looks great on you.
Speaker 3: You could, you could probably play some special teams maybe if they need you can.
Speaker 4: Sam Darnold, please, just you know, let's do it, Sam, one more game, Sam, Come on. Besides, nobody really likes the Patriots, do they? I mean, has everyone tired of the Patriots? Like I'm I mean, I know they went away for a couple of years, but now here they are again.
Speaker 5: Salary cap, salary cap will eliminde dynasties.
Speaker 1: It really, yes, yes, don't worry at him. Fifteen It's the stat that burns into my brain. Fifteen straight years Patriots are Chiefs in the semi finals in the NFL, the AFC Championship game. So parody galore. We love it.
Speaker 4: By the way, Adam. For the people that don't believe me that I'm a Seahawks fan, go back and check out with the game. The Seahawks played the Jaguars in Jacksonville's like twenty seventeen ish. There was a special ball boy on the sidelines for the Seahawks that day, and he did an amazing job running ball being the ball boy for the Seahawks.
Speaker 2: I could see it. I could see it.
Speaker 4: Pete Carroll, I know he just got fired.
Speaker 5: He's awesome.
Speaker 1: Sorry, he had thirty grade speed. Thirty grade speed as a prospect.
Speaker 5: Don't don't. Yeah. AJ is biggest waffler of all time. Born in New York from Florida. Hates the Snow, love Chicago, huge Bears fan. Wow, shocker that he's got one of the helmets of the teams in the playoffs. Just whiffle waffle, Waffle, whiffle waffle.
Speaker 4: You can ask my kids. My kids said if the Bears would have beat the Rams. The question was, Dad, who are you rooting for in the NFC Championship game? And I just said, I guess we'll never know because the Bears blew it against the Rams. But I know I definitely is rooting for last week, and I know I'm rooting for next week. There's no doubt.
Speaker 2: Should be good one. AJ and his many teams he rooted for.
Speaker 1: He's such a nice guy. Adam, thanks for the time. Yeah, the Watchers, thanks, Adam, appreciate it. This is great creative.
Speaker 2: But have a good one apcial you too, Thanks kissing
Speaker 5: Yeah,