Speaker 1: It's to me, there was no rules. You came out of the blue, barding myself from mornings. Grasses, dumb, dumb with mornings never hit you look so cute esmen's suggesting me the stars, something.
Speaker 2: New, Welcome back, guys, good mom's bad choices. I'm Erica and I'm Mila, and we have a really special guest today. I'm really excited to have her, my friend Deepaka. Yeah that was really good. I knew it. I'm like so honored to be here when I'm not like a mom. You know, we have a lot of non mom guests. Oh really, yeah, we have like dad and not dad male guests. I mean we had like three moms, no, three people with children in general, so you're not the first. And a lot of our listeners aren't moms. Okay cool, Yeah, just regular thanks, regular peeps. But yeah, I'm so happy you're here. Deepica, is I have admired you for a long time? Think No, honestly, I mean she's my friend and she's worked with our brand before. Yeah, but Deepica is like a serious business woman and a hustler, and she's young and she's like killing it and just when you want something, you go after it, and that's she'll have more friends like her. Thank you, I mean, yeah, but it's vice versa, right, Like, I mean, it's one of those things that I feel like you try to keep company around you of people that like bring out the best to you. Absolutely, that's like our whole motto. Yeah, the company you keep. And I's obsessed with your daughter and mom. I mean, it's the whole family. If you're not familiar with Deep because though she you know, she's an influencer. She has a brand called Tinted, which is amazing. It kind of caters to brown women and women all in between that are basically not being They don't really get the prison barn and represent representation and beauty and just in the world in general. But I think pretty much beauty. Yeah, it's the focus of the conversation is beauty because I don't think people, to me, at least in the Internet world right now, beauty is portrayed in one very specific way, and it's so much deeper. It's so much deeper than what you see at the surface level. And what I'm realizing is we keep calling it tinted across cultural beauty platform because we're recognizing, like the commonalities we have across different cultures to talk about those things, and actually we just did that earlier, you know, and it's like, I probably have lipstick over my teeth, but wow, that's good over But the idea of appropriating and appreciating those conversations, we're having real, honest, raw convos about that and people are learning. When we started, it was just gonna be, to be honest, like a South Asian platform, because to me, it was like within women of color and minority representation and beauty, I saw black and I saw Latina, and I didn't see myself, and that obviously it was like a step forward, but it bothered me that I didn't see myself. But as we started posting people on the page that were South Asian, other cultures would chime in and be like, I have facial hair issues too, I have hyper pigmentation too, and it's like, wow, you know what, there's actually more commonalities between it than we realize. So it's pretty dope because honestly, I'm learning as we go, and I think each time we post, I'm learning more and more. Wow, Like there really is things that connect us that nobody's really talking about. Because we're so busy discussing our own individual cultural like beauty concerns. Right, it's interesting anyways, it's been like so fulfilling. Yeah, I mean, it's what you're doing is amazing. I love your tanst series of honored to have been at to say, you gotta watch her. I'm honored to have been a part of it. But your story is dope. And I think that's the thing, is like the idea of you to know is like we need to be talking about the stories that no one else is telling, which is what I feel like you guys are doing on this too. Yeah. I think a lot of times women and I think a lot of times moms feel alone. They don't feel like, you know, they can be women anymore. They feel like they have to stop having the conversations they had before having children, or maybe they never even have those conversations to begin with. And you know that a lot of people that reach out to us are like, oh my god, like that happened to me, or I'm so glad that you feel that way. I thought I was the only one that wanted to kick my child in the head, like I'm that crazy. I thought, Well, I don't get how you do it, because I love being like the auntie who like comes in and like gets to hang with the Yeah, pulls up on sugar and then you're like, hey, I get hugs and cuddles and I bounce. Yeah. The not this tough stuff. The twenty four to seven is it gets pretty intense. Yeah, I think moms are super women. Like it does it. It blows my mind. I don't understand how you do it all. It's like once you have become a mom, like there's no return. You can't you can't take it back, you know, like, oh, here's the proceed I'm good.
Speaker 3: It didn't work out for me. It's very fucking permanent. So you know, I'm thinking this is going right into it.
Speaker 2: But I've been talking about freezing my eggs and I tried to talk about it with why you're so young, but because I know it's I know my life right now and starting tinted and like I'm not going on dates, I'm not meeting dudes, like it's not happening anytime soon. And I have friends who are in their mid thirties that are like, just do it now because they're they're regretting not doing it. My best friend.
Speaker 3: Can you not freeze your eggs past a certain age? No, I think it's just that they're prime right now. So like if she called me twa, I, oh girl, I mean no, my my thirty year old friend is like she's talking to anyone. She's like, I think I'm gon phrase my eggs. I'm not telling me to do it, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: I think it's because I probably don't.
Speaker 3: That's my friend, that's that's my that's me interpreting how my friend talks. Like and then yeah, all my workers are telling me it's the time my eggs a prime right now. I'm not even dating anybody, and I think you're so fucking young, you're crazy. But it's also we live in LA. Everybody's doing it and body's fly's nice.
Speaker 2: But it's okay. This is how I think about it. And now I'm gonna sound like a friend, but it feels like an insurance policy of like the last thing I would want is to not be able to have children. And that's why I said, like, you may.
Speaker 3: Have issues and you don't even want to You don't even want to encounter those issues and have any issues that I see.
Speaker 2: How sad my girlfriends are right now trying and they're like, I'm telling you, just do it. It's like a very small cost and the larger scale of life to not just do it if you truly know you want to have kids.
Speaker 3: You know, this is like I wanted to talk about this on a different episode, but I'm happy here because this is a thing Like, obviously me and Erica have kids, but my best friend we grew up together, are the best friend. But we me and her and both have kids and one doesn't. So I constantly see online like when she's posting our kids, like when's your turn?
Speaker 2: When are you going to have a baby? Oh? Who you know?
Speaker 3: And I think it's so disrespectful because I know women who can't have kids.
Speaker 2: I know women who are trying, and people don't know what.
Speaker 3: If a if people want to fucking have kids, right, it's not this mandatory thing you have over rage you must give birth, yeah, and be like after like twenty seven, you're not supposed to just fucking shoot out kids. It's not how like that. Everyone's not on the same schedule. So, like, do you feel like a lot of pressure and from your culture, your community. I know you're a huge in like your social social media and stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean on all of those layers. I grew up in Texas, so everyone I know has like three children and like is yeah, like got married right out of college and linked it that way. But then being Indian, that's the next layer of it where my parents like since birth were like trying to figure out who from the same village we grew up in I was going to.
Speaker 3: End up with.
Speaker 2: And the ironic part is I ended up dating a dude that like organically because I think I wanted that so bad because you knew that because I wished without even realizing it trained to thinking like that's what I wanted. And so between those two things, layers were like for sure there, but I am at the point now I will not ask a woman that because you never know. Yeah, it's so rude. It's so rude. Yeah, and I don't think.
Speaker 3: People mean to do it that way, but yeah, but it does show like how backwards our society is. And there's so many things that need to change, even just in general conversation, right, Like women are not fucking machines, right, and come twenty ninth birthday, you're not supposed to be impregnated. You know, you're not supposed to just have a husband. It doesn't work that way.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but when I think about a husband versus kids, I get so much more excited thinking about having a daughter than a man, which is like but that, but that's also like annoying and stupid too, right, It's like I'm not going to try to sit here and pretend like I don't want to ever. I mean, we've talked about this before. It's like, I that would be a lie to pretend and say like I don't. It's not that I need one, but it would. I would like to have one, right right right? And you will? You will? Yeah? Yeah? Do your are your parents in your ass right now? About it? So it's weird because my mom is like the one who sets up every Indian girl in town. But oh she is so the matchmaker. She has like three successful weddings. Wow yeah, but also so do I. I've introduced three people that I got married, but I'm not myself and she doesn't pressure me. But my sister just got married this year. I was like a thousand people, beautiful wedding, fifteen days long, like it was. It was a true like Hindu ceremony wedding. Yeah, girl, we do have amazing weddings, like saying it's such a cool celebration, but yeah, it just happened this year, so she's not fully on it. But the other Oh my god. Last time I saw her, she came and gave me the biggest hug and she was like, I'm just so worried about you. And I was like, why, I think I'm doing pretty well, like I'm living my dreams, blah blah blah. She's like, I just know girls like you you're just gonna work for the rest of your life and never find a man. And just like I was like, all right, now this is getting extra. Do we need to choose?
Speaker 3: You have to choose like Choericles versus a husband. I mean that kind of brings us start.
Speaker 2: I think I think a lot of it has to do with culture too, and like I think also, you know, your parents are like they're ready for grandkids. They're like I'm ready, Like I'm bored, my kids are out of the house. Me and my husband have like had our time. Now we're ready. They're like empty nest syr. Yeah, yeah, yeah, like we're ready to know you have a little person come in here and you know, spoil them and stuff. But I think cultural you're right, yeah, and like I mean, I mean, I don't know a lot about your culture, but like and I just know like what the stereotypes are, right, like Indian Indian. Let me tell you what. Let me tell you what. I yeah, tell you because I can totally be wrong. Yeah, but that, Yeah, there's a lot of arranged marriages that you know, their families want their children to be like highly educated doctors, lawyers, you know, heads of hedge funds, whatever that might be marrying within your you know, your race and your culture and what else. Yeah, I mean, you nailed like all the realityky, So the reality are arranged marriage. My sister is a doctor. I have forty first cousins. They're all doctors and like being educated. This is how I think about my dad's mentality is he wants his kids to have the American dream. But his definition of the American dream is very different from my definition. To him, the American dream is having respect in America, and having respect in America means being very educated, and being educated in his mind is a doctor. So it like trickles down. But for me, I'm more like I want to create a path for people that hasn't been created for me. That's my American dream. So there's this conflict between his mentality and mind that we have all the time. But I think I get it at the same time, Like they came here with nothing, like my dad like was in India in a village like literally in rice fields, and then to come to that and then give his daughter like all this opportunity. Like so I get their mindsets, but they also need to like listen to us, and finally I realize you get to a certain age where your parents finally are like you know what, like maybe they do know some things to teach us, which feels really good, Like I feel like y'all are going to trip out when you're done, Like you know when they say that to you and they're like wait, wait, like your kids are teaching you. I feel like that daily. Really yeah, now I do feel like that. I think maybe it's attach your mom. I think it's hard. I think the generation that our parents grew up, that's something that you don't really you can't it's hard to acknowledge. Yes, Whereas I think now we're like Millennis and I feel like we are a little bit more open to the idea of like this hierarchy between children and parents, and like, I know everything you learn from me, where like I think, I think I look forward to I reteaching me things. She's taught me so many things about patience. You know, she's taught me how to love in a different way too, you know, like really taking care of someone and loving them unconditionally. I mean, I think it's innate within me, because you know, you're they're they're like this little person that comes from you to just kind of love them un conditionally. But there's times where I'm like, oh my god, and I can't imagine, like as a teenager, like her disappointing me and like or doing something terrible. I mean, we've had an episode where we talked about like what if your parents said he is like a serial killer? Like how do you like? Yeah, like is it unconditional? Like what then? You know? And I think it is even then, Like I've been watching I've been watching I've been watching id ID TV, and like there's been all these serial killer like Jeffrey Dahmer, like When the Parents The Parents. There's a series called When Kids Killed No I've seen that one, but the parents that I noticed are always like it was such a good one. Like, I don't know, they're all in denial.
Speaker 3: I just like traditionally, because Jeffrey Dahmer was like killing animals, there must be something deep rooted to all of that though, right killer. I think the fucked up part is is that there is some deep rooting and a lot of times people who like have like our fucked up adults have had really dark, weird childhoods. But I think also sometimes people just come through us and that has really nothing to do with anything, like it's just mental. I think some I think Jeffrey Dahmer was just like something was wrong. Like I just think sometimes we're just a vessel and people are coming through and we.
Speaker 2: Got to kind of like take it.
Speaker 3: No, I agree with that too, And I don't know what the lesson in having a serial killer child would be, but.
Speaker 2: Please God, don't let it be me. No. But so yeah, I mean this going back to what we were talking about, like the stereotypes of you know, your culture, I mean, they're real, I mean, and it's not something that's even so the idea of arranged marriages I think is so fascinating because I wouldn't. My parents describe this to me recently and they were like, it wasn't forced. We were introduced and like we hit it off. It's just weird because it's in within forty eight hours. You're like, oh, you hit it off in forty eight hours. They just had this chemistry. But the divorce rate for people who have arranged marriages is so much lower because like it's I do you think also, because divorcing is like, yes, oh of course that's a huge part of it, but it's more like they make it work, they stick it out. I am very I have a completely different take on that. I'm like, if you're not happy, get out of it and enjoy the rest of your life. But in general, yeah, like a divorce is so taboo. But arranged marriages, like I tell my parents now, I'm like, I would think my mom and dad would want nothing like an amazing guy for me, so I'm like, sure, introduce me. I'm not against it. But then they end up being like the great blah blah blah. They come from a great family, and I'm like, is it going to be the family and me when I'm seventy or is it going to be me and him? And it's cool because my dad gets that. He's very like I actually asked him about my ex boyfriend, do you what do you think about us? And do you think I should marry him? And he said, why are you asking me this? He's like, I don't want you to ever look back and resent me because of a decision that you made because of me. And that was like a crazy thing for an Indian dad. Yeah, say that's pretty progressive. Oh my god, he is. Yeah. I think he's just realized now through trial and error with us. Yeah, my sister went to India for med school and it was like something that when I was in high school, we broke up our families, so like in the sense of my mom went there to go stay with her while I was here being raised by my dad. And that kind of moment is something that we always have this sort of regret as a family. So I think after that happened, he was like, this is their lives and their decisions, not mine to make for any my daughter, which is cool. So when you have kids, yeah, are.
Speaker 3: You gonna would you are you for arranging in a marriage for your daughter or would you not do that.
Speaker 2: I think introducing I'm down to introduceing like you must marry this man. Absolutely not. And I don't think my parents would even do that to me, like introducing like your parents just have like a young homies like and their friends have kids. I guess that's true. I'm just like, who are the meetings? I feel like when I go to any city, like, people are like, oh, when you moved to LA from New York, like, did you know a lot of people? And I was like, I feel like the thing about being Indian is you have a built in network in any city you go to, Oh my mom will call blah blah blah auntie and blah blah blah uncle, and everyone's auntie and uncle and it's and I'm good, like I feel I really do feel like I have people who are like family here because of that built a network, which is dope. Like to have that in your culture so beautiful. I think that's something that we don't have in our culture, really I do.
Speaker 3: I mean, first of all, I think, like black people, everybody's your auntie and your uncle and your cousin.
Speaker 2: True. I guess that's true in a way.
Speaker 3: And if I go like I mean not everywhere, but like if I go said where, my dad's like, oh, let me call my friend.
Speaker 2: I think my friends out there. He may pick you up from the airport. Okay, exactly met him when he was too hold on, let me go Exactly. I don't want George to pick me up, but I remember him from an almost too, like, don't worry, don't work. But you know you're right. I guess you're right. And my dad does know someone anywhere to like help me with something, right, Yeah, exactly, you need to beat up. Give me a second. Were you at having a thousand people at your your daughter's wedding. It's like it's it's insane. But at the same time I think, I think, yeah, I think we have that, but I think he has for sure, like like I don't have a thousand people to invite. No, I don't know that. I don't have a thousand people.
Speaker 3: The Indian community is very tight. It's very tight. It's very tight knit. It's very family oriented and I respect and I've really I'm trying to get in.
Speaker 2: If your mom knows any homies for me, yeah, I'm down. I have a cousin he's yeah, let's introduce Okay, I'm selling. I know, and Indian would be the most beautiful. I don't know. I just I do Indian A bile Indian Indian girl. I don't know that many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Eric's phone is singing because has your airplane mode?
Speaker 2: She doesn't listen you. I well, A, I don't know that many Indian people that date outside of their race. Yep.
Speaker 3: If I ever have talked to like an Indian guy or usually I said this whole time, if I did anyone outside of race, I'm like, what are your parents going to think about me? But I mean, even though I know Indian culture doesn't look this way, like feel this way, I kind of feel like Indian and Black are close.
Speaker 2: I know me too well.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just I just feel like I wouldn't think it'd be that big of a deal. Why do you think it's close? Melanin same? But I don't think that is the common feeling. No, it's probably not. I know, I mean, and I know culturally it's totally different things. I mean, Indian people have like way more unity and culture. I mean, I think that's what Black African Americans lack in general, which I think sucks and we need more of that. So I end like even like in a lot of different cultures, there's a lot more unity. It's funny you say that because I would have thought the opposite. Really it's see and I'm I'm I guess so complating it to media and it seems like there's so many like black women coming together in the media being like we can all win, we can all come together. And I think that that's like really dope, and you're not seeing that as much in the South Asian side, which I hope did exist. But also you also just don't see South Asian people.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say. Well, that's what I was gonna say. You just don't see. The numbers just aren't there yet, right, But I think I was talking to you about this is like our culture just isn't social media active. And that's that sucks for me because right like I'm trying to throw my social following and like build, but we're just not social media allowed. But you guys are a pioneer. You're going to be You're going to like bring that out or you're going to let some other girl on South Asia be like, oh I can do this too. I mean, I hope to you. I see you doing it, and I know it exists. But it's because we're trained to not be like you know what I mean. We're changed to study and like have our voice kind of be like it's it's private. We don't know about this open legs, keep it. We keep. Yeah, we keep our business to ourselves and we don't share, you know, just deal with it with the family and get through it. You know.
Speaker 3: I think that's Black people have secret not secretive, but like our problems are our problems.
Speaker 2: You don't talk about your family problems with other people. Yeah, but that's but but that's the only that's the a Black people love to be on a camera. Yeah, just showing out dancing, doing the makeup. Oh my god, that's typical. But it's kind of true. We're lou We're loud and beautiful and proud saying that South Asians aren't. It's just culturally, you guys have you know, been taught to be you know, reserved, slowly changing because of like just im medium now with Pria Choper's out there, Mindy Kale's like things like that. It's slowly happening, but slowly.
Speaker 3: That is true though, because I mean, it's all stereotypes, honestly, because there's going to be a loud everybody.
Speaker 2: And a quiet everybody. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, when I think of it now, like when I think of like Indian women or like women I've known, or if I meet us certain type of Indian woman, like I have a client, she's like real loud and real like boisterous, I'm real like you, and I'm like, oh I never okay girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or like this is gonna.
Speaker 3: Sound really fucked up, but like like a hoochie Indian woman, like I have a friend who's fand with hoocci. I'm like, this is not supposed to not supposed to be the Succi You're like confused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, who are you? But we're also like do you see our Indian outfits? I know, right, yeah yeah, so that's the ironic part about it all. But like we were talking about earlier, it's like I love seeing other people where our outfits. Like when you come to an Indian wedding wearing a sari, I think that's like a beautiful thing. It's like celebrating our culture, yeh, because you're there to celebrate the culture anyway. Yeah, so can we talk. Yeah, what are you talking about? Okay?
Speaker 3: So I always wear Bendi's because I like them. I like like face jewelry. I don't know why, I just do. I like hair jewelry and feathers in my hair. And today I wore a Bindi and you know what, I've never thought twice about it ever, Like ever, Like I go out, I wear all the time. I get compliments and I just think because I really I like, get Hannah on my hands.
Speaker 2: I like that. So today I came and she's like, I don't take that off? And I was like, is it? Is it? Am I culture appropriating? It's like culture, nothing else, but nothing else gets to people that are like Indian people, South Asian people. But seeing that because that's a symbol of Hinduism specifically and not a fashion statement, and there has been in the past people who have used it as a fashion statement, and because the meaning isn't there, the education isn't there, is frustrating.
Speaker 3: And I had no idea. So I'm one of those people because now you know. But that's why these things are so important.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I can't worar them anymore. Well, I would say, Jamila that you are a very pinionated person when it comes to other people appropriating Black culture. So it's like when it relates to you, you can't be like, well, no, no, I'm totally here to listen. Well I know you are, I just say. And we were having this conversation too, like why is it? Because I feel like a lot of times, as black women, we don't feel like we can a cultural We don't like we can culturally appropriate something because our culture has been appropriated so much that we forget that there's other cultures out there that, like, you know, like the like the Bindi or or I don't even know, I can't like I can't think of it, or like the Geisha or even someone else. Like actually, I was at the beauty Blender office and one of someone who works there, I was like, I loved this dress and it was kind of like that, you know, like like it's not Geisha, but you know it's like the flower blossom. Yeah, yeah, pins over And I was like, is this cute? And she was and I was like, and I asked her, I was like, would you be offended if I wore this? And she said yes, wow, And I was like, wow, it's and I'm wondering if she would have been offended ten years ago, because I feel like in the last ten years it's become or even five years. It's just because everything is so sensitive. I think I don't know if she would I would, And my guess is that maybe not. And my guess too, like I'm not if I probably wouldn't have been offended by things ten years ago too, that I'm offending. I'm now too. It's just because we're just being educate, hated more. Yeah, and social media, yeah, everything is.
Speaker 3: But you know what I think, Like as much as I am like super pro black and like I am very opinionated on my blackness and other people's opinions on blackness and blah blah blah, one thing I will say.
Speaker 2: Is I don't really like I don't get offended.
Speaker 3: Like if a girl is wearing a head wrap and a dai shiki girl boom, you're with it.
Speaker 2: I'm with it. You know, I'm team Rachel Dolaza.
Speaker 3: Like I think I think there's intention if you're just being ignorant and dumb, like if you're trying to like appropriate, like I think, like I get bothered by like like I said, like I don't care if a girl has braids and you're white, or you're blue or you're purple. But like, if you're a white woman and you're wearing braids because you think that this represents.
Speaker 2: Being black, or you're like, yeah, Nikat, or you think more black men are you're going to try more black men, that's my issue.
Speaker 3: If you're like, I really like this hairstyle, just like I'm like, I really like I really like Hannah, and I really like wearing bendies because I think they're beautiful and I think the culture is beautiful and I have respect for the culture. And it's not like I'm trying to take or emulate. It's just like something small that I a piece that I think is cool and I, you know, I even though I should know that it's Hindu and not Indian, and there's all these things that you're teaching me, which I'm appreciative of. I think I'm not offended if someone wants to be a part of the culture and learn about it and they think they want to take a piece of it. I think that's the part of like being American and being able to diversify and take, you know, and like I mix them as Raeley dishes because my best friend is Israeli and I know how to do this because this, and I can do some Russian shit because my friend is Russian. But it doesn't mean I want to appropriate their culture. So I think it's small about intent. The intent always the.
Speaker 2: Thing is is like you're going to pist people off, and some people won't care, and that's just the nature of it. Yeah, you know, and it's like it's like if it doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't matter to you.
Speaker 3: And I think also because African Americans, I think what kind of annoys me is that we have been deprived of culture. You know, like what we get as African Americans is post slavery, and so there's certain things that like, okay, we have like a Mexican a huge Mexican culture and you know, California community and California influence. And because they they've been able to it's like keep their music, keep their religion, keep their language, keep that thing that that glues them together. But as African Americans, when you know, all we're taught is like our history starts at slavery, and it's like, you know, watered down African culture mostly influenced by like Caucasian culture and slavery, Like we don't really have that, and I think that's why we lack unity, because we don't have that glue. And I guess, I guess it's just like the three things we do have, like braids, you know, corn bread, I don't know, you know, like let us keep it.
Speaker 2: But the stuff that we've created here like music right right, you know, yeah, those type of things. But yeah, you're right, like we don't. Like I'm Nigerian according to ancestry dot com, and I have known. I don't know anything about that culture at all, Like I don't understand what the different the different the different types of like communities within Nigeria. Like when I was dating that guy from you know my trembling with that. Yeah, yeah, we have the guys we talked about on our podcast. We've named them so trembling Lip. Whenever I kiss, he was always like vibrating and very nervous. Yeah he was. No, he's just he's not nervous. He's actually crazy and my god, hopefully he's friends. He's not crazy. He's great. Great, he's great, he is great, he is great, He's actually that was the most mature relationship, dating relationship I've ever had anyway. Wow, he you know, he was showing me so many different things and I was like what, And there's different languages and different Yeah, it's just things that we don't know about, like traditions. I feel rotted. I feel wrong. But the thing is we can. We could go and write and bring that in. It's not like the internet has everything on there. We can do our research if we really wanted to. We just feel weird doing it because it doesn't feel like it belongs to us.
Speaker 3: Nigerians have I feel like a lot of closeness to Indian culture that have like beautiful, large weddings.
Speaker 2: For sure. I feel like it's very it's similar. Yeah, that's a lot of stuff we talk about on Tinted. Is this idea of like like nose piercings, Like I thought that that was an Indian thing, and then we looked back to the and like the whole history of it and it went back to like gree Greek roots and like Egyptian roots, and I was like, oh wow. And so I think literally those type of educational things is how it's going to change. But it just takes the effort of doing it. Yeah, it's true, it's true.
Speaker 3: I must to do my research like somebody else in Africa were a Bendee. Oh yeah, no, it's actually a Nigerian Cindy.
Speaker 2: But the body art and body painting is does go back to that, you know, So it's like it's just all about I guess learning. Honestly, I was just saying it more to protect you because I know it's a huge. Well that's good because I would have never known.
Speaker 3: Otherwise I would have went to the Indians the Hindu festival rock in my like, you know, I just really didn't know. I just saw something and I'm like, I like it. And I've worn them for a long time, like years, and no one's ever said, thanks to my friends, I haven't an Indian wedding.
Speaker 2: No, oh, you'll come to mind if it ever happened. I went to an Indie wedding beautiful, yeah, and I was given a sorry. I was like is it? I actually felt like, is it okay? If I wear this, that's fair it is? And she the bride, she was Indy, and she was like, no, I want you to wear it, like, yeah, take I have so many here, take your no literally my mom has too many closets at them. But yeah, like we want you to celebrate the culture, and it's really exciting to see other people do that.
Speaker 3: We love doing that, especially because it's like in America, it's like, i mean, just in general, we have a very white media. Everything's very i mean just now it's turning. But like we don't get exposed that much to other things unless you go seeking it, you know, until like now, but there's things like you know, live tinted and we have these conversations and shit, like even I noticed, like I was like, you know, like you said earlier, like I go to the store for Luna and I look at dolls and even in Target, I'm like, oh yeah, I want to like every time I like social media, like what the fuck is that shit? But then I'm like, damn, I feel unincluded. But imagine Deepica, Imagine my Asian friends, imagine you know, I really think that, like damn, we need we need to start even further because there's woman who look even you know, not white, not black, not tan, and we don't even have that exactly, And so I'm always I'm always like noticing noticing it, even as a kid before like this huge social media make up makeup, makeout makeup thing.
Speaker 2: I remember like looking at Chanel.
Speaker 3: It looked like going in Macy's and seeing the cosmetics and seeing the range and shade range and thinking, what the.
Speaker 2: Fuck is this? Oh my god, that was my whole child.
Speaker 3: I feel like we could have like successfully, like had a lawsuit because for like for a million years, there was like this darkest.
Speaker 2: Shade was Erica. Yeah, and she's like white, right, use whitish rude.
Speaker 3: Well, it's we're embracing all the color spectrums, but the point is you're not the darkest of the spectrum clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that's totally how I grew up, and that was that was really depressing. I wanted to avoid the sun because of it. I just wanted to look like all the girls that I saw on the magazines.
Speaker 3: Is that a thing in the Indian culture, like whitening your in avoiding the sun? Because that's the thing in the black culture, Like I don't want to be in the sun. I don't need to get more dark, Like it's.
Speaker 2: Black, it's Mexican, it's Hispanic. Yeah, they're all fair and lovely. Was a staple. Cream on my mom's counter growing up, it was a bleaching cream and it's like a number one product in Asia. Have you spoken to her? Have you spoke to her about that now? Yeah? Even now? I love obviously for like cancer reasons, I don't like to do it, but I love the sun like I love how it feels. It's like relaxing. I love the tan that I get out of it or melanated to people. Even the dude we were just talking about that lives here, he cannot. He is so not into dark skin Indian girls, and he's very vocal about it. He'll be like, well, first of all, he's just into Indian but within that, it has to be like the Bollywood standard, like super fair skin, super tiny, one of those things. And like you don't think that do you feel offunded by that?
Speaker 3: Because when a guy tells me something like that a black eye, I would be offunded.
Speaker 2: So yes, But so it goes back and forth, it goes all people have types, right, but what is the idea of like avoiding the sun to look like a certain beauty standard? Because it's like, why do you actually like that? Is it? And I don't know the answer. This is it? Because of what society has said to you or is that just really your type? And that's tight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think it's social. I think we don't realize how programmed we are and for that, like we're not realizing what we're saying and why. But I think it's absolutely we would have grown with like black black black black black was the standard of beauty.
Speaker 2: Everybody would be rushing to the tanning salon. No. Cammy was telling me the story the other day to you, saying how this white girl came out to her and she's like, oh my god, I love your hair, Like how I would love to make my hair look like that, and your skin color is so beautiful and it like irks hair. She's a black woman and it like irks her. But so I'm curious, like, how would you feel if somebody was saying that to you, which.
Speaker 3: I don't like, woman, or I'm like, yeah, I know it's bomb right, Yeah, you know, I want to genuinely know that because I get it, like I get it, like I get like, like I said, like, have interest in something that doesn't look like what you have, like noticing what's beautiful. I can see a very fair, fair, fair, white white white, white woman with fair, fair eyes. My god, like your eyes are fucking beautiful. You're beautiful. And I'm not going to say I want that hair, but like I want your skin. But I can acknowledge, and if someone acknowledges me for you know, whatever, they can see visually and think it's beautiful, Like, why would I be offended by that? But I want you to pet me in public? Like, oh right now, if I don't know you, please don't pet me.
Speaker 2: I'm not draped dog. But that comes down to people touching your stomach when you're pregnant. Yeah, Just I think a lot of like the woman who came up to her probably was trying to relate to her. Yeah, and I think a lot of that's where it comes from. It's not really like I want to be you like or like sometimes it is, but I think it's like I think, as women, a lot of times, the way we choose to relate is through beauty. It's you're complimenting, oh my god, I love your earrings, all your lashes, Oh my gosh, Like your skin is so beautiful. That's just I don't know. I mean, I know why that is is because you know, as women were taught that like physicality is like kind of what validates us, you know, and so you know that's that's I think. Well you speak a smile on the person's face too, right when people love, I mean people love, I mean I love getting caught. Yeah, exactly. Sometimes I feel awkward, but you know, yeah, I'm not going to say, like, if no one ever compliment me, complimented me again, I'd be no, yeah, I'd be sad, you know. But I died, I got blue contacts, dyed my hair blonde. As a kid, I wanted to look like Texas. Wow, an awful photo, but yeah, you know what I mean, Like I wanted to look like a contact. I wanted to like the girls that were around me. Yeah and me too, I want I wanted to straighten my hair all the time. I wanted to be skinny. I've always like had athletic build body, and I was had a woman's body at like age twelve, and all these girls, like their thighs didn't rubbed together, and they were wearing these little cranky bees that my ass couldn't fit into. And I was just like the boys that of all my white school were never hitting on me, and so I just felt left out. But it's funny now because now it's like it's so interesting now it's shifted.
Speaker 3: And I know, do you okay, Like the guy who we just talked about, who's like, is boldly stating his preference. Okay, would you even though you understand where that route that's rooted from, because obviously you're like a brown.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and no, he's basically saying he's not attracted to me. So does that? Does that? Like? How do you? How do you take that? And like, would you date a guy like that?
Speaker 3: Because for me as a black man, if someone guys like says comments like that, I assume you're ignorant, and then I'm concerned, like what you're gonna teach our kids?
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't we is he gonna? Does he want to date you anyway? Because you're clearly not a type anyway, I don't care or or this was gonna say, have you ever.
Speaker 3: Like I've met men who like, I've never dated a black woman, but I'm so attracted to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm like surprised.
Speaker 3: I mean, by the way, same thing, but that's not that black Indian woman, Like, oh my god, I've never been with an Indian girl.
Speaker 2: But I'm not just not like, I don't take that as a compliment. I think that you sound really stupid. How do you sound spetishized? Yeah? Yeah yeah?
Speaker 3: So like, would you date that guy with knowing his mentality, knowing he is may still be attracted to you with you're the exception?
Speaker 2: How do you feel about that? So if I was the exception but I knew his mentality in general, was that way? My gut is saying yes, because I because in my mind, I think the idea of beauty his character if if if that kind of character bled through to every other part of his life, then the answer is no. But if it comes down to like, oh I was attracted to this, but I'm actually into you, it is kind of like showing the other side of it or just make you feel more special. Maybe honestly, I bet it is something twisted like that, but it makes you feel like a little more like oh the rule.
Speaker 3: But what I feel like, you guys go out and you're like are together and then you like go to the bet and he's like all these fair skinned Yeah yeah you're right, Yeah, you're like dead. This is like a therapy session. Suddenly you feel insecure. Yeah, would you suddenly feel insecure?
Speaker 2: Probably? That's a good point. The get back, I changed my mind. Well, I mean not that you should. We shouldn't feel incure. The ironic part about it is I'm not attracted to him, right, So then it's and I'm and I was just saying this. My whole life, I've dated South Asian guys. I've only had two boyfriends, but they're both Indian, and now I'm at a point where i want to explore outside of that. But it's not like I actually I'm just more saying it. For the first time in my life, I'm being open minded. I'm not it's like tough to say, like screw every Indian guy out there, like that's not cool, right, But at the same time, it's like I was trained my whole life that I was supposed to be in with this kind of person that looked like this, and our families would be like this, And now I'm like, you know what, like be nice, it doesn't matter, be a kind person. Yeah. Speaking of that, and dating outside of your race, I know another steria, like what I said in the stereotype is that, yeah, dating outside of your race within the Indian community is kind of like you don't do it, and it's like scary to bring that guy home to your parents. Ten years ago, my oldest cousin married an Asian guy and it broke up our family. Like my dad had seven brothers and most some of them didn't show up. It was really rough, and I think just she did it. She took one, she took the hit, and now we have like four cousins who are marrying outside of their race.
Speaker 3: But I think so after that they'd come back together once kids were involved, once there was grandkids, everyone was like, you know what, at the end of the day, do we want our.
Speaker 2: Kids to not get it raised together? It's silly, but they were so so stubborn about the fact that like, no, this is not okay, so against go goes against our culture, and especially her because she was the one that was like doing the cultural dances as a kid and all that stuff. But since then, it's it's just changed. I think it's just progress.
Speaker 3: Yeahs was she was she open to them now embracing her kids. I mean like after they didn't show up to her wedding because I would be better, Like you didn't want.
Speaker 2: To come to wedding, then you want to be around my kids. I think at the end of the day, when you have kids, all of it changes. Yeah, because you're like better, Like fuck it.
Speaker 3: It is important that like I'm going to look past that you did this or whatever, and now we're in a different space.
Speaker 2: I mean I've been looking at like Priyanka and Nice like, oh, yeah, so they recently just got married, and I was and she's also older woman, and I was thinking about it. She's older than him. I think, oh, yeah, late thirties or yeah, four. I think there's a decade difference. Yeah, she might be like forty. Wow that brown, don't frown. She's beautiful. But I was thinking about that too. I mean, she's she's much older, so maybe her family is kind of just at this point, like and she's and she has a successful career. I just wonder why you're rich. Yeah, well, I was just wondering what her family was thinking because she is older. You know. I think she has become one of those leaders that's paving the way for other people. And I think that there are just certain families that are more open to that. And I feel like I'm very grateful that my parents would be like that. Okay, let me ask you a question. Okay, because obviously Nick is white. Do you think that acceptance is easier.
Speaker 3: When it's a white guy whereas like if it was a black guy or Asian guy or a different guy.
Speaker 2: Because I think sadly, yes, yes, there's a what is it? I haven't heard this in so long, but as a kid, no, BMW's black Muslim or white? Yeah, or black Mexican. No is Muslim Muslim culturally Hindus and Musli back in the day obviously, Yeah, so yeah, white, it's not on you know, you don't think it's it's less of a big deal, whereas if it was a black guy or an Asian guy or meat or whatever. But I do think everything is changing. But yes, growing up, yes, I wonder what that is. I know it's white represents America, so it's a little more acceptable. I think that a little bit more because especially because in you know, culturally Indians like they they I don't know. Yeah, it goes back to British British colonizm yisation and then coming here and wanting to live this American dream. And sometimes when that comes with the white man. Yeah, and also that's how the validation, because you were talking about like your father's version of what the American dream is is like you know, having a certain respect and does that respect within his community or respect from American white people.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's the latter. That's how you are respected by white people. Well globally like white is right, you know, it's like a global white supremacy exists in all corners of the earth, you know, and as much as it's changing, I think, like just like in the Beauty Standard and the media and Disney and all this other shit, like it's the same. It goes in all cultures, even like Japanese women like they like like think they're more beautiful.
Speaker 2: I they're mixed with European just like black and black culture like yeah she makes she got the hair, you know.
Speaker 3: You know, like it's just like this weird taboo that if you mix with white there's like some people.
Speaker 2: That's why color doesn't exists in every community.
Speaker 3: Exact right, because for sure, the lightest is the fair is the most beautiful.
Speaker 2: Even within India, North India versus South India. I'm South Indian, we're considered to be less beautiful, less like intelligent because North Indian beauty standards are.
Speaker 3: What's considered beautiful because the North North Indian is more like likely more fair. I know, such bullshit crazy, but you're right, there's there's more. There's more commonalities than there are differences. Yeah, and I think that's the cool thing. But like nobody's talking about it. And I think it's things like this that changes that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even so, like when I grew up, I didn't like my big eyes or my big brows because that was these are very South Asian South Indian features. Now I'm like obsessed with it, and that's just because of progress and things are changing. Like I love having big furry brows, you know, I love those brows, thank you. But it took a long time to embrace them.
Speaker 3: But it's funny how we are so influenced, like our perception of ourselves is so heavily influenced by outside factors. Yeah, and it's like it's so stupid because we're the only person. We got to live and die in this body alone. Yeah, so like why the fuck doesn't matter? But it's true.
Speaker 2: Everyone wants to be accepted, loved, and that all comes down to Unfortunately, at an esthetic level the first thing people think about. And that's why I think, because I've been having so much like I've been having this like tug of war with social media lately and like feeling like and I know, I know for sure you have, which is probably part of the reason I'm assuming why you would started tinted, because you can really create content that is meaningful and in the world that you started in, which is beauty and you know, YouTube tutorial, beauty hacks, all that stuff that can start to feel so mundane, so shallow, you feel so vain, like me posting, I'm like hesitant to even post photos of myself now and I really haven't really been posting photos of myself because I feel so vain and at part of it was part of for my vanity, and I think something's shifting within me where I'm just like, I don't like, I appreciate people commenting and saying, oh my god, you the club pretty, the clip pretty, But then sometimes I'm like, that was even my intent with the photo. I wrote this beautiful long aption about self love and where I'm at or I'm not feeling. I'm feeling like shit today and all you saw was just like you're so pretty and it's like, well, bitch stopping, like what you don't appreciate that, and like no, I do, but it just seems so you know, it's tough. It seems so shallow. Yeah, and all the you know, photoshopping and all that stuff that happens. It's like, I don't want to be the person promoting that beauty standard. But sometimes when you work with brands, that's what they're doing and it's like you're the person behind it. That's why I just haven't been as much anymore. I'm not I'm not. I don't wake up excited about it. I don't feel motivated by it. And I feel motivated by Tinted because we're trying to change that standard. And like when you write these, like you said, like now to me, I want to take There's some things I have to do because A it pays the bills, and b it creates a relevancy to do what I'd care to do, which is Tinted talking about my family and my like that your family is fucking adorable, but the other thing are so embarrassed of them. As a kid, right, Like I didn't want my friends to come over my mom would wear a nid and like be cooking chicken curry, and I have a very distinct memory. I have a girlfriend coming over and coughing and literally asking to leave because she couldn't handle the smell of the food. And so I was so I didn't want people to come over anymore. And I think that is I'm not the only one who felt that way. So what I can do now to show how incredible it is to have parents as hardworking, dedicated to their family as I had growing up. And if that can change any other person's dynamic, that's what I want to do more well, fucking yeah, way more than any selfie, you know. But it's a balance. But before you started lived Tinted.
Speaker 3: In what ways, like, you know, coming into the beauty industry and the social media whole situation, that's you know, the beauty industry is not really weird for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how like, in what ways did you feel that I for Tinted. I knew I was the token brown girl in beauty brand campaigns, Like whenever I was hired, it was like I was the Indian girl, and then there was a black girl and there's Latino girl. But to be honest, it didn't bother me because I was like, at least there is a token brown girl now, because I was like, this is step one to making it so eventually there's a lot of us. So the fact that I was even included, that's how I thought about it in my brain. But then I got to a point where I was like, Wow, there's girls at different ends of the spectrum, much darker than me and lighter than me that haven't been showcased on these brand campaigns either ever specifically darker than me, that like, you don't find super melanin filled South Asian women in the media at all. And that was that was our first post four Tinted. That made me like so excited because it was like so cool to find that girl, and it was also really sad how hard it was to find that girl. That's how I actually started kicking off Tinted. I was going to make it a secret and curate like a whole Instagram before doing it, but I couldn't find that girl and we needed that photo, so I just put on my Instagram stories use hashtag lived tinted to show us beautiful South Asian women with a lot like darker skin tone, and that's how we finally found them because I kept.
Speaker 3: Seeing and then you know they're there, Like you're there.
Speaker 2: Maybe they don't have like one hundred thousand followers. Yeah, they're like you know, they're just starting to build their start starting to build their you know, following her community. Yeah. We live in such a world where like we're we're controlled by people's following, Like we don't. We only want to work with you if you have this amount of people that like you or that are liking your photos.
Speaker 3: I know this even now post effecture and I'm like it's so beautiful and I'm like, only got sixteen likes.
Speaker 2: But I know we'd be lying to ourselves if we didn't feel I'm a child and I need to grow up because it's ridiculous. No, you become a slave to like checking and looking and like why did this photo get? These are analyzing. You become your own like analytics specialist, like why did this photo get? Like I really like this photo with that one, but obviously they like this one more. So what you try to break it down? Like I need to post more content like this so that you know what is like this? What does this mean? I really believe this, and I feel like we have to believe this now. The only like, the only way to get it go against that is like doing starting this podcast, you guys are doing in posting content that matters to you, because otherwise we're all everyone's just going to keep doing selfies. It's going to take the same right, same, it's the same shirt. If I see one more like selfie next to like a white marble wall with like a pink light pink sweatshirt and oh my god, like kneeling down like with like one you know, the kneel down, Yeah, like you're praying or some shit.
Speaker 3: I got like really hot, look that all the girls are doing that. I'm not good at it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like I was saying, like if you if I see one more folk girl posing in a certain position, perfect color scheme. And don't get me wrong, there are instagrams that I follow because I really love how curated. Yeah, like I like organization. It makes me feel happy when I look at it. Yeah, but then sometimes I'm like, oh my god, this picture this is the same one that I saw on the last instagram I was on, and the last one, the last one of the last one is just like that's why I've been so hesitant to post. Like it's been like it's actually been nice because for a while I was like feeling like I have to post, I have to post today. I wantly posted once, Yeah I didn't post yesterday, buck like same, and it's it becomes overwhelming, and I know longer in creating content or posting unless there's a message behind it rather than just the photo. So even if people are going to say you're so pretty or so pretty, at least I know that, like my message behind the photo is bigger than the aesthetic aspect. It's tough. I mean, let's be real, Like people people do follow me for makeup tips for South Asian girls, so like it's you also don't want to like go against the reason why all these people started following you, you know so, But now I'm just like adding in the content that really motivates me and gets me excited. In addition to that the balance that is beautiful. Do you post? I realize I do, Yeah, post, I do post a lot. She gets the most Well, of course that's what I was gonna ask you guys, Like obviously that would get the most likes because they're freaking adorable. But are you protective or worried in any way that, Like, sometimes I'm more worried that I don't want her to become that I don't want her to because we're in this world of social media and I can only imagine where it's going to go, like more and more and more access, access, access that I don't want her to feel like she has to she has to be that way, or she has to be a certain way, or you know. And so that's the one thing I don't really I don't think anyone's gonna come get my kid or I'm not like famous, so I've been bringing out a fat where she goes to school. Or maybe if I was, i'd have I'd think twice about it. But or just like if somebody said like a rude I can't imagine the rude comments I've had someone say rud com like, of course these people you don't know, right, but actually know you had someone who said a rude comment to someone recently? Oh actually, yeah, I had someone who I used to be friends with and what was it.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, she was basically judging your parenting and like putting it on your mommy shaming and of course the person is not a kid.
Speaker 2: I my, oh my god, so stupid.
Speaker 3: My client has a ship for pull in her living room, and of course, like it's fun everybody wants to try it, including Luna.
Speaker 2: And it looks like, oh, that's so funny. It looks like a playground.
Speaker 3: There's actually pulls at the playground, if anyone would take fucking notice. And of course she wasn't wearing clear heels in a bikini. I didn't put her in that off for that day, but it was on Instagram, and it's like, you know, you're teaching her to tour.
Speaker 2: You're teaching her like I like.
Speaker 3: I hope that, like I pray that she doesn't come out a certain way because you know, you're putting her Instagram a certain way. And you know what I had to do. These are people I've known a long time. And the funny thing is the mom. Okay, the mom I'm friends with the girl, we used to be friends, but I'm also friends with her mom. And the mom made a comment. But the girl was actually a career stripper, so I don't think she Maybe she was projecting on me because her daughter actually became a stripper. But my daughter's three, and she has no concept of stripping or the like the club, and I just thought, like, I don't like, I hate and I think this happens a lot like when adults project like innocent, like project their adulthood on innocent children that have no no scope of these things. And it's just like, don't sexualize my child, right, there's nothing sexual about this situation. She's three, she has no idea what that means, and I don't like the projection of it and my whole there's pervs out there, and one thing I'm being on I don't live my life in fear of other people, of just general big fear, like obviously I'm precautious, but pers are at the park, you know, pers are at the mall.
Speaker 2: Pers are probably at your family reunion.
Speaker 3: So I can't, like, I'm not like covering her face or every little thing on Instagram because that's like I don't think and I'm not thinking my life based on pers You can't.
Speaker 2: That's exhausting. It's exhausting.
Speaker 3: It's perfs everywhere you know, you never know who those people are, but I have to, like I blocked all those people because it's just like I was getting rouled up about it, but I realized I'm super free spirited, I'm super hippie, I'm super naked, I'm super comfortable with my body. And it's not an attention thing, it's not a sexual thing. It's just who the fuck I am. And my daughter is going to know that. She's going to know me best more than anyone else. And if you don't know me, then you don't get to comment on my parenting or me. And if you don't have like positive like.
Speaker 2: I don't think there could be any more hurtful thing than somebody targeting your parents. Oh no, there's not. There's no crushcause it's like this person knows you, So call me and talk to me. Yeah, don't don't put it on social media for other people to judge and then wonder that what you're talking about and then they're looking at you like maybe she is that way. I mean she is naked all the time, like she does you know, you just start, well, when is she teaching her child to love her fucking body? You know?
Speaker 3: And so I mean, don't it's going for someone's jugular when you comment to my parents, sa ay, you're coming at me, And like if you're a friend or out of love, you're gonna be like, look, girl, I'm gonna call you because I'm concerned.
Speaker 2: What do you feel about this? Whatever, there's a way you.
Speaker 3: Like you you come at someone, but if it's not positive, it's not happy. I had to, like, I had to make the conscious decision I'm not gonna get mad. I'm not gonna give the energy. I'm gonna cut you off because I'm not going to give you answers because it's my child and it's my and I know I'm raising her right and I know I'm raising her in a safe space. So I mean, you know, it's inevitable that our kids, that's our prize possession.
Speaker 2: We're gonna fucking take pictures with them, We're going to post it. They're great.
Speaker 3: But like people are gonna have opinions about everything, your outfit, how you raise your kids, everything, So like you have to either be comfortable in who you are and what you are and what you're projecting and or or not. And because I'm comfortable in and it and I know I'm doing the right thing, and I don't tolerate it, you know, so fuck makes sense.
Speaker 2: But for me, I haven't I haven't really the only time I've ever seen anyone leave a bad comment and has been on her father's page, and that's because he has a lot more followers than I do about it, and you know, just people just bored talking shit. But it enrages me. It totally enrages me because it's like she's an innocent child, right, like she doesn't it can't even defend yourself. But I mean, that's the world we live in. I'm sure you get crazy comments on your stuff. It never bothers me if they say anything about me physically, like whatever, oh you're not pretty or that something like that. Like that doesn't bother me. I have a self confidence in like my appearance and stuff. It bothers me when they attack like my work ethic, Like she only posts like one YouTube video week, nobody has any idea what's happening behind the scenes for live hinted and like that. It irks me to set somebody to say, there's this I don't even want to give it. Maybe we'll cut this part out, but there's this Reddit threat about me that was like what do you think about deep with Yalla? And I got like I got like a Google alert about it, and it was just going in about like my privilege and I the thing is, like, I'm very aware of the privileges I have in like I did not grow up poor, but I also didn't grow up to be this super super rich like, so I know where I fall in my privileges, and I'm very self aware. I think that's one thing about all of us that we're very self aware people.
Speaker 3: And I know what I have and I don't have and things like that. But I also worked really hard for like so much of this that like, don't take it away from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also a lot of it was brown people, and it's like I would think that they would want to help support me the most, to help me keep going and keep fighting. And to read that crushed me because I was like, you have no idea how hard I'm working. And you know, of course there's parts like brand trips and things like that that are lavish, lavish, but nobody I'm editing at three in the morning and like not sleeping at night because I'm thinking about things that I need to still get done and I'm trying to like pitch investors and like things like that. Is like nobody has any idea. But anyways, at the end of the day, that's an insecurity in me that I have to get over not care because I know what I'm doing. We're all we all have some degree of insecurity, and you know what. I like, I told Erica.
Speaker 3: Because we had like one thread one time too, and yeah, if we don't, you know, you're doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: If you don't have no haters, so you know, brush and brush them off. Yeah. Yeah, we had a threat about our parenting. I was like what, And then I was like, Okay, let me come down. We're famous because I know I'm a good parent. Yeah, and it's like, you don't even know you're not here yeah, like, and you're probably not even a parent. So my kid's fucking amazing. And he listened to all of our episodes, Like this person was listening to all like commented on episode four and that episode seven. I like, so you listened to all my episodes and then you went on a blogged into a website to then talk about It's just insane. Yeah. It just makes me feel really really special. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm really grateful to be able to have this time with you and talk to you this is so good. It was really good. I feel therapy. There's those like therapy, podcasting, therapeutic.
Speaker 2: Girl. Yeah, we're like, we're smart, we're women. Yeah, we're thinking about what we're saying. You just need to get the conversations out and just say them out loud. I think conversations do you have with yourself that maybe you don't you forget to have with friends or you know, you just don't totally. And so thank you, Yeah, thanks for having me, for joining us, for educating me. Yeah, educating Tamila and me too. I mean, I don't know, I don't know the history of Bendie's and all that either, So I'll definitely I'm not that I wear them, but I'll definitely think twice before I see one at the stoor. Stick it on the board. But anyway, you can find Deepica at I care about Tinted at Tinted Yeah, say them off, I know, and then it's my name at Deepaka. But you should follow Tinted. Honestly, I think a lot of our followers are brown, yeah, black, and we do have like some Caucasian followers. Hey, Nellie whatever, girl. And but that's the point, no discriminating nostill tell you yeah, and her her pages all awesome highlights, amazing, amazing women. I'm not just saying that because I was on bomb. But anyway, we will catch you guys next time.
Speaker 3: Enjoy your week, and we have an event on December twelfth. We're having cocktails. You should come to where Century City?
Speaker 2: Oh bitch, what it's in? Culver City? Okay, Culver City. You know Century City is like a mall. I'm a vale bra. I don't they have the same thing to It's corner door Culver City. Check out our Instagram. Actually, check out the our bio because the link to our event right is in there. So come hang out. We have a special drink, good mom's drink, so cocktail, call the cocktail. It's a good Monse cocktail. Sorry, good Monse cocktail. You know it's gonna be tequila based because that's what we drink. Anyway, we'll catch you next time, and bye bye.
Speaker 1: You got to.
Speaker 2: Go down. Just the tri says to love, the mine.
Speaker 1: Sends to leave you, man, So you decide it's true. Never gain anything.