Speaker 1: So Jay, you played against them both. Okay, let's settle this now. Who's the greatest of all time? Is Lebron or is it m J?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: What's hand him?
Speaker 4: Man? You got Marshaw Besmall Lynch.
Speaker 5: Doug Hendrickson and Gavin Knew someone.
Speaker 3: You're listening to politics, you're knowing to be you known to be my Shaan. You were down at the Rose ball right, yeah you went? I mean did you guys? Were you even aware of what happened in New Orleans around the same time a little bit earlier?
Speaker 2: God damn, Like, what the fuck going up? See?
Speaker 4: Look they got some of that fucking with of that ship, and my fucker started going crazy. Okay, them is them is American people on American soil.
Speaker 3: Correct. The guy was from Texas. Uh, he was here legally serving in the army and the ore uh and uh for our military and uh and and so did the guy in Vegas as well.
Speaker 2: When I say when I say y'all, I don't mean like you.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying like because you you know, you were part of the government.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, do.
Speaker 4: You go and talk to them motherfuckers and be like giving them speeches and shit too.
Speaker 3: Well, one thing we did talk right after the incident occurred, our Office of Emergency Services reached out because we were concerned that those things were connected, and there was a lot of evidence in the early part of the investigation that was the case. They both had served in the similar military base, both were vets, both went to the same car service, and both rented cars, different vehicles, different locations. But there was concern that this was coordinated all across the country, and that concern extended to California, and so we put together our Office Emergency Service. We had a quick meeting and we were sharing intelligence information and there was early concern, just full disclosure that they absolutely were connected. It was, to your point, a little coincidental.
Speaker 4: But did they come from it because I want to say, I heard that they came from the same base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had served in the same base as well, So I mean a lot of those things. If that, I mean, that's next level coincidence. But on the basis of what we've been told so far and what I've been told as well, that there isn't at this moment, again the investigations in its early stages, any evidence to bear that out. But one thing was of concern and Marshanos where you were, Uh, well, you may not have been concerned about it at the time. You were at the game down there at the rose Ball, and there was concern this maybe because the proximity in in New Orleans that there was concern about other large scale events and particularly the rose Ball. And so we had assess in real time, uh, based upon the intelligence and then what the FBI was providing us, whether or not it was safe to continue govin.
Speaker 1: It's just like, is this like Armageddon where there's thousand TVs and there's phones and there's there's like analysts.
Speaker 5: Is this is this? Is this the room you're in?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: If I, well, that's the route I wasn't. I wasn't up in Sacramento at the time. So it's the obvious emergency service and that what they call the stack, which is back. Basically, it's a state emergency center. And it looks exactly like you you would see and exactly as you described. I mean, it looks like sort of a mini NASA center with screens everywhere and data and.
Speaker 1: And and people drinking cokes and candy and Red bulls.
Speaker 3: All of the above, and all the law enforcement, all the different agencies coming together in federal local states.
Speaker 4: So they'll hit you and they're like, okay, so they let you know that they're gonna take precaution and ship right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what what does that look like? Because I'm because now I don't. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think I got that much pool. Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't say that I'm one of them guys. But when I got to the game, right, yeah, I mean I drive up and the driver tell the people like, oh yeah, uh no, we're just.
Speaker 2: Gonna go in here.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna just drop him off, you know, and they like, what you mean you're gonna drop him off? But oh yeah, I got one of the uh you know, one of the guys in here, and they let us in and they let us right where the team buses.
Speaker 3: Was no security check, nothing.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, no credentials, and I meant, get my fucking ticket. I'm telling you, I'm calling, Uh, I'm calling Doug at the.
Speaker 3: Date you had a regular Huber driver or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just saying I'm calling Doug at the gate like, hey, what's up with a ticket and something?
Speaker 2: You feel me like, I'm good?
Speaker 4: Walking back behind where the where the team busses at you know what I mean, family bus, team bus where we because that's where we used to come in when uh, when we played at the Rose Bowl. And then when you think and you're like, yeah, okay, we debrief with the FBI, they saying this, we takeing uh precaution and shit. And then you say, well, how the fuck do you go and do some crazy shit like this, blase whatever. Then you've got all this new technology and all these security measures, and then you know, you just come up in an unmarked car with an unmarked, unmarked celebrity.
Speaker 2: And you get to the fucking team bus.
Speaker 3: Is like, no, you're exposing a weakness. I mean, by the way, it's not just the weakness that a rose ball as an example, it's a perfect example your example. But remember Doug a few years ago, right after nine to eleven, we're out there at the super Bowl and you're walking in without tickets, bringing five or say. It was supposed to be the most secure super Bowl in history, and we walked in. There's only a couple of us with tickets. I was like, why who? These folks behind us didn't even have damn tickets.
Speaker 2: They follow the train follow by the way.
Speaker 3: Sean, how about the security that didn't exist for Doug and I to go down at the Super Bowl your Super Bowl for me? You in the locker room. Neither of us had credentials, Neither of us were supposed to go down there. We didn't have law enforcement. We just went down on the power of persuasion, Doug's persuasion in this case.
Speaker 5: That's school grades right there.
Speaker 3: Got Yeah, so you got emotional intelligence, if you know, based upon the lack of historical dinosaur intelligence.
Speaker 5: By the way, we were rocking.
Speaker 1: I was rocking right past Belichick after you won, and we could you know, I mean, you're right, there's no security down there. But anyways, Morshawn, that's a great valid point, Gavin. So all this army, geddon studios and stuff, how come there's no more people on the ground.
Speaker 3: Everybody's you know, people have to step up their game. And look, had he had the the the president elect almost get assassinated. That's the bad security in the world. So, I mean, this is this whole area, this this this is only highlighted, uh the profound importance of focusing on security across the spectrum. And look, the big thing now. Obviously after what happened a couple of days ago in New Orleans, you got the super Bowl coming up in New Orleans, you got other large scale amount I was.
Speaker 4: Just I was just thinking about that, like, okay, if you do this with super Bowl in a month maybe a month away.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The sad thing here, Marshaan is is the I was talking to Cam Jordan, one of my clients in the Saints we all know, uh, and I asked him how New Orleans was doing right now. He said, literally, it was almost like nothing happened. We're numb to this Gavin right now. And that's a sad thing. Let's put this in context. This guy ran his car over fifteen, killed fifteen people, injured thirty five people, and literally, I think the bar is state it was almost like we're numb to the fact, which is the scary part.
Speaker 2: No really yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Notre Dame Georgia game, you know, shortly thereafter and everybody's back to your point, I mean, which, look, we have to move forward. So I mean I appreciate the resilience. That's a great mindset in terms of you know, just being empowered and emboldened and not being sidetracked because that was the intention of this. It wasn't just the victims, those direct victims. It was impact. It was to create these conversations that we're having out more anxiety about who we are and our ability to live in advance together. But so I thought that's important. But your point is the point you do get numb by. I mean these mass shootings, we've gotten numbed by it. I'm still, by the way, not over in Marshaun boy. One of these days I should share it with you in appropriate setting the Buffalo shooting, and you know you played in Buffalo. But and the reason I bring it up in the football context, this is a young kid with two parents that said on the spectrum he was pretty progressive guy. Wasn't a conservative guy. He says, my parents were amazing parents. People liked me. I wasn't bullied. I was a good student in high school. And he literally does a Q and A of what he did. He basically asks every question you would have as to why the hell did he kill all these innocent people in a grocery store, why he targeted the black community, and he goes through it. There's page after page, dozens and dozens of pages of every conceivable question you can ask as to why, and he rationally ratches it up his sort of his capacity to understand as he went to your point, deeper and deeper into darkness of the internet, and he said he got clarity and light and started to understand, you know, and the anti Semitism was next level, and then the black community starts, and then he starts getting into birth rates, and then all this insane stuff except rationally insane that led him to the act. And the challenge for me reading that is why the hell hasn't everybody right not reading that to understand what's going on? Why isn't that shared with with people in positions of power that it's not shared with law enforcement? It is I talked to every elected official. I've not met one other elected official that read that. And by the way, it almost is verbatim the christ Church guy down in New Zealand that he was, by the way, inspired by It's a contagion that persists and exists and continues to this day. It's not a one off event, just like this may not be a one off event. The fear is this sort of isis inspired event. And by the way, they have a playbook for precisely this kind of activity, meaning how you persist with a car and how you go into crowds and then what happens if your car stops. I mean, they literally lay out a toolkit for doing these things. So it's a legitimate concern, is the point. But my concern is Doug's point, which is we tend to move on, turn the page, and there's a normalization of what I would say of deviancy, meaning we've normalized the abnormal, and we've become to numb, and we're starting to accept stuff in the past we would never accept.
Speaker 1: We're joined by a Hall of Fame, a top seventy five player of all time, a ten time All Star, NBA champ, epic career with your Cal bearsmore Shawn an Oakland Bay Area kid, two gold medals, okay, and one of the most iconic people and players of all time, Jay Kidd.
Speaker 5: Jason, Welcome to politicket.
Speaker 2: What's happening? How you guys saving Jason?
Speaker 3: You didn't even get into his high school stats twenty five, ten and seven. Doug, You didn't even know that, did you? Doug?
Speaker 5: And I did know that. I used to go to Jason's games back in the day. More gay me.
Speaker 3: Just say, did did you have your bs? You remember him there? Jason? You never saw a doug in the stands, man, did you?
Speaker 6: I didn't see Dougie in the stands. I was too focused on my opponent. Nah, you would have. No, you would have.
Speaker 2: You would have noticed him. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: If he was at any of the games, you would have noticed me. Wild ass white boy on the Why is he on the court?
Speaker 2: What the fuck is this dude talking to me at the free throw mam? Hey, Nah, you gotta get back in the stand. No, you can't.
Speaker 1: Just want to, by the way, what everybody needs to understand. And you know this, Gavin Morshawn, you weren't even probably born yet.
Speaker 5: You were younger.
Speaker 1: But if there was n I l and there was social media back in Jason Kid's days and Saint Joe's forget about it.
Speaker 2: It was it was he was getting money.
Speaker 6: It only had a sandwich. They had a turkey sandwich in there. There was no green, There was no money in there was just no you have some lettuce and some broccoli. In that time, we had a little bit of extra you know.
Speaker 3: Uh say it ain't so say it ain't so, See, Jason is going to be careful when the responding of that, Marshall.
Speaker 2: I think, anna pass.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's great for the sports of college to be able to get paid. Unfortunately, Uh, Marshaun and myself were not able to get paid.
Speaker 2: Uh we had to wait to become professionals.
Speaker 3: But Jason, seriously, I mean, do you I mean, is this because I we Doug knows as well. I'm the first nil bill in the United States. I did it down with Lebron down.
Speaker 2: You ain't gonna let nobody miss that.
Speaker 3: Huh No, But no, I say it no with humility and recognition. This is not what I expected that. This is not And this was only a few years ago. Yes, I mean the whole transfer portal.
Speaker 2: That portal came and changed everything.
Speaker 3: Everything changed. I mean, so as a coach, I'm wondering, Jason, how does I mean, how do you? I mean just the whole I mean, obviously you're not dealing directly with it necessarily now, though the indirect impacts I imagine are pretty pronounced. But from a coaching perspective, I mean, you see these college players, dougs, dougs now in the nil business, as a as a as an agent, How the hell do you build a culture? How do you how do you lead an organization? I need great an organization, billbo.
Speaker 6: I think what you did by signing that, recognizing that you were the first to sign that is congratulations because you were ahead of the game. I just think we needed some bumpers, some kind of guidance, some rules, another committee. So because now they didn't think about the portal, the portal has changed the game. You're recruiting. If someone scores, you're recruiting. When he scores a touchdown or two points. You are recruiting your same players and you can't treat them any differently because the portal is so wide open. But now you've got to understand there's other coaches recruiting your own players while they're playing. And so yeah, it's tough. This is this is this is this is something that has to be looked at where we don't affect the business of money. I understand that, but I think the recruiting if someone is playing quarterback and the other coach is recruiting that quarterback, it's just not fair. And so also we're teaching our kids, uh to go to the highest bidder, and so I think there's got to be a rule and I'm just guessing like a two year contract. If the coach does leave, you have opportunity to leave. But I think, again, we're signing these kids out of high school. We're making a millionaires, which is great, but is there some guidance of one how to keep that money and two how to build that culture. I think that's a great question about how do you build a culture at cal because the players are leaving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting. I mean, you know, Doug, you've had this direct experience right where you get these guys. Jason, I appreciate what you said. Just one component of what you said. I mean, here's a kid with a couple of million bucks that has never had a checking account or a savings account, that goes out, spends the money, and Doug, you've had this experience. You've had clients or folks that you've helped and then they go to the end of the year say, dude, what do I do? I got a three hundred thousand dollars IRS bill. How the hell am I going to pay this? Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know the biggest problem one hundred percent, right, I mean these guys are it's ten ninety ninety income.
Speaker 5: They think the money's going to keep rolling.
Speaker 1: And it goes back to Moreshawn on your Get Got podcast More Sean about locking in the four to one k's and financial literacy. If you guys like Jason, you and Morshaw and these athletes will get into it and help these schools and financial literacy programs things like that, it's much needed. But now it goes to high schools. I mean, Jason, this goes back to U sports too. Your son is a great baseball player and you're seeing it now in the U sports game too is evolved in a crazy way with crazy parents, and how do you look at that game too?
Speaker 2: As far as the U Sports, I'm trying to learn that.
Speaker 6: That's a great point. You have a class of maybe the class of twenty eight is now that's a freshman signing with an agency because they believe that nil can get them paid. And these are families who might not have a lot of money and need the money. But we're making freshmen or sophomorees millionaires and they don't have the capabilities of understanding, you know, there's a new family member and Uncle Sam that you have to respect. Also just guidance because we're putting so much pressure. There's anxiety. There's pressure for these young student athletes to be successful because we're looked upon or they're looked upon as a lottery ticket. And so the more we can talk about it, the more that we can have groups of Marshawn and myself, people who can go out and talk to these young kids, it can only help.
Speaker 3: Jason, I love bringing up just the pressure man, just use sports. I mean, you guys are two iconic, extraordinary athletes. I mean, do you do you feel like it's significantly more pressure today that we're putting on kids and the kind of pressure your parents put on the two of you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think just the social media. Marshawan probably is a little bit more into that. I was more into the newspaper. We've had to wait the next day for the writer to write about it if we were good or bad.
Speaker 3: Read and so the chronicles, the green section of the chronicle.
Speaker 6: That's right, the Oapen Tribune or the green section that's right, and so and so. But today there's hearts, there's thumbs, uh, you know, the d ms. Everybody is uh and the biggest thing that we haven't talked about is the gambling aspect. Uh. The people who can gamble can reach right out to the athlete, which I don't think we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: What I mean is that something the players are talking about today? Is that some in the locker room. That's part of the conversation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you got athletes, you know, you got players who will get the DM.
Speaker 5: What are you showing it, sir Marshan?
Speaker 3: Marshan? What what Marshaan is shown in an old article the first time you're in the newspaper?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I got to come up underneath that cloth too.
Speaker 3: By the way, But Doug, isn't that a great precious thing? Man? Here's Marshawan and Jason. I bet you still have you. I bet your parents still have the boxes of all those old articles. And there's a precious man versus the ten million damn things that go online that disappear in a nanosecond, that have no real value.
Speaker 6: Now, we valued the newspaper. Uh, it was gold.
Speaker 2: Cow Sport cat with it, the cow high Sport. That's right, that's your right. You want to know where I've.
Speaker 4: Gotta go year, I gotta go. Yeah, with that thing, yeah. Go look at the Oakland Tribune. We get that little Oakland column OAE.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 6: And so today you have fake news. You got everyone has their opinion, and so I feel that the kids need role models a lot more than ever today because there's so many people who are talking are betting on them to fail or be successful.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jason, take me through the pride you and where Sean had as far as kids growing up in Oakland, with the history of Oakland athletes and Bill Russell and everything else. And take me through the pride you had then and even now when you're walking the country about you know, being from Oakland and and and the legacy and the history there of you and more.
Speaker 5: Shawn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think just growing up in Oakland, I got lucky to have an older brother, a couple of them, be Shaw and Gary Payton, and then to be able to play for Gary Payton's dad.
Speaker 2: Mister mean.
Speaker 6: Uh, but when you had the role models, when you talk about Bill Russell, Paul Silas, Ricky Henderson.
Speaker 2: Uh. Base Yes, yes, you know.
Speaker 6: We we played not just basketball, we played football, we played baseball. We tried to play them all because we had great icons in the Bay Area and so uh to be able to look up to when Purva Short, Sleepy Floyd was playing at Golden State, you know, those were those were the guys that we looked up to and went to camp and was you know, that's that was the dream I wanted to play. I want I went to Purvas Shorts camp and wanted to be an NBA player, and he started that dream for me.
Speaker 3: I love that, by the way. Just I mean going back at that time, you know you're making a point that kort Of reinforces the point I'm making or inquiring about as it relates to youth sports. Now, everybody has to drill down on one, one decision one sport. It's year round. You had the ability to develop as Marshaan did is well. I saw it by the way we saw Marshauna in the baseball field. I was like, can't be true this guy was playing shortstop that he was pitching. I'm like, what the hell is this like? Next level? No bs? I was, I forget his football.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was blown away on the baseball. But that's not the case with these kids anymore, right, Jason. They're just developing one sport, but they're not developing all these other skills in the process.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, I agree with you, Gavin. I think when you look at having the opportunity to play on a different surface, being with your friends, even if you're not as good in the one sport, just to be able to develop relationships, develop other motor skills, see things differently. And unfortunately today it's just one coach, one sport and max out and hope you don't get hurt and that you get drafted or you get it. Now it's just about getting the nil deal.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 6: And so I thought playing soccer, playing other sports, you got to be able to use different body parts and develop and that helped you become the player in basketball or football that you are.
Speaker 3: Marshaw when you were growing up in Oakland. I appreciate you mentioned I'm smiling because I mean saying that, Doug you as well. Right, all these all these iconic athletes that were legends, heroes in our eyes. Marshawn, you remember any of that stuff, the camps, the first camps you went to. I mean, Jason talks about being inspired to be an NBA player by one of the camps. You remember going anything when you're a kid that just made you just change your mindset.
Speaker 4: No, So especially when I was growing up, like that's when you know those camp you had to you had to pay to a ten those camp, and it was like if you go to a camp, then you cutting into you know, I mean your money that you got for the feed that you need to go and play for your sport. So I mean I would trying things like play for like boys and girls clubs because AAU at the time was expensive as fuck. So I mean, you know, you go to the boys and Girls club and you could play. Now the talent is a big drop off. But I think my first camp that I went to was the Nike Combine that they had over at Stanford, and uh, I believe I had. I got the invitation the day of the camp, so I came with just some some tennis shoes and they were gonna run a forty do shuttle, drill al drills and run one on ones. I'm like, shit, I ain't got no cleats, so I had to ball like my cousin Mike Obama, no man, God bless him, because I ain't had no spikes. So he would go in do his drills, run his routes and then I would use his cleats after his after his rep, I ran my forty Like I'm at this time, I'm probably like a size ten and a half. I ran the forty and some size eight shoes, and I'm talking about I was hot cause my feet were balled.
Speaker 2: Up in the little ass shoes.
Speaker 4: I had no choice but to run fast so I could get the motherfuckers off.
Speaker 2: I had to, man.
Speaker 4: But you know that the camps and all of that day for us, they wasn't really that big. And the thing was, you know, as I listened to Jake Kidd talk about, you know the youth, how you know the parents, the pressure and like when we used to we used to play like my mama, like, boy, get your ass out this house.
Speaker 2: So I'm going outside.
Speaker 4: I'm going from apartment building to apartment building to my boys who stay up the street. We're going to go knock on doors. Hey can y'all? He can't, Hey can't? Can blood come outside? We need we need two more, We need two more now here on punishment, like damn, well, you know what what about his sister? Or is a little billy because we just need to make sure we got you know, five on five or us. It's they got seven, I need one more? Like I take whatever I could get. Like we going out there, it wasn't too in my mind, it wasn't we going to go play so we can, you know, go to the NFL get an nil deal, put our you know, I mean our game on Instagram or whatever it was, because we really enjoyed getting out actually playing a game. You so you go outside, next thing, you know, you're finna get your ass whoop, because you know you were supposed to be home before the street lights came on, and then motherfucker's been on for well over an hour. Mom's coming down the street with them, with them flip flops, clacking, and all you hear is that, Oh, you know you're about to get an ass whooping. Come out because you know you should have been home. Now I'm gonna beat your ass until you get home. Now, you don't understand that. You think you got to sit there and take that ass whooping. Shit, I'm sprinting, little brother and sister getting the ass whooped. Now, my MoMA track athlete, Oh she on me. Oh you thought you was gonna run and miss this ass whooping. Oh no, you're gonna get every one of these. But I'm saying that was that was the motivation.
Speaker 5: That was, well, you guys were hungry, too hungry back then.
Speaker 4: No, we weren't nobody home, We weren't nobody worry about eating. You maybe went to the store that got you a little twenty five cent uh bag of chips, a little twenty five cent the water juice, and you thugging it out five six hours next, no concept of time, no nothing. All I know is I'm having hell of fun and I gotta make sure at the end of the day the score would be like two hundred and seventy to fucking three hundred and we playing football.
Speaker 3: Jason, you have any of those experiences and oak any of that makes sense?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it makes a lot of sense. I think when he talked to when you talk about finding your friends outside, Hey, we're gonna meet at the playground. You get off that first bus, I'll be right there waiting for you at two forty five, And that bus was lady like, man, why is the bus late? So then you're like, hey, where is such and such is he gonna be able to play? So we got you know, five, it's three on two, so you put the two best against.
Speaker 2: The other three. Yeah, you play half court.
Speaker 6: And so now it's just a matter of being able to you use what you had, and you made the best of it. And yes, you always knew that you push the limits of that sun going down and that street light coming on, because you knew you had the rule was be home before the street light came on. But you were having so much fun that you would take that ass beaten and understand that the next day you was if you were in that same scenario, because as a kid, you're having so much fun that you would probably go, Hey, it did hurt, but I'm having so much fun with my friends, I'm gonna take another one. And so but you loved the play outside. You came up. You were creative with different games. If you didn't have enough, you figured out, okay, the two best players against the three and we're just gonna play until everybody gets tired. And then I got a butt whooping when they got home.
Speaker 5: Hey, Jason, take me through. Take me through. You told me the story and hope you can share it.
Speaker 1: Is when you know you're you're probably the number one recruit in the country at Saint Joe's and you got everybody after you and UNLV is is just won a title and take me through the time.
Speaker 5: You know, Tarcanian rest in peace.
Speaker 1: The shark was all over you, and I think you committed UNOV correct before you went to cal Well.
Speaker 6: I wanted to go to u n l V so bad. Everybody wanted to go to un l V. Anybody that was on the West coast wanted to go to UNLV and tark and Girds, you know, was was where I wanted to go, and they knew I wanted to go there. So I got an opportunity to watch UNLV play San Jose State and went to the game. And then after the game, they said, hey, we're going to have a barbecue. So I thought, okay, barbecue. It's it's already ten o'clock at night. Where is this barbecue going to be? They said, come back to the hotel that it's going to be on the top floor. And I was sold. When they had to barbecue on the top floor, I was like, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To un l V.
Speaker 6: This is what it's all about. Stacey Augman, Hunt, Larry Johnson.
Speaker 2: Uh. It was incredible.
Speaker 6: Uh because the running raps, everybody wanted to be a running rep and uh and so uh, being one of the top kids in high school at that time, that was that was my first choice until they got on probation.
Speaker 3: Oh so that's what happened. So then and then Cal came running, or you came running.
Speaker 6: And then then I was like, it's between Kansas and Cal and uh. I had family in Kansas and uh and decided to stay at home at Cal. I thought that was the best choice. Playing with those guys in the summer. I thought I could help them, uh, you know, get better and uh and hopefully make a din in the tournament. And it turned out that we had a good run. But it was a lot of fun to be at home. Hold on, that's that's crazy. I just was talking to somebody and uh, how you pronounced the coaching.
Speaker 4: Girds or yeah, that's the that's the gainst, right, all right. So somebody was telling me that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, so.
Speaker 4: I guess uh the Lakers would wanted to, uh, you know, bring him over to the uh the forum, and they say they sent somebody uh to come and talk to him, and you know what I mean, try to you know, persuade him to come over to coach the Lakers and you know at the time, I guess the mob was a was was you know that the real mob was running running Vegas and they wasn't having that ship. So the dude that came to talk to him, they say, they end up finding this motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Dead in the truck.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh, what you mean, Like, yeah, they they knocked his ass off. Larry Johnson and and and and those guys they say, yeah, they was. They was easily making about a uh, about a million at the time. They all had they put him in you know what I mean, fly ass cars, the whole nine. And I'm like, damn, that'sh they all get that serious. So you you was right after that. I don't know if you know anything about that, but yeah, I mean somebody had told me their story and I'm like, oh, that's why the motherfuckers was running around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: So so so gangst at the time, they had a gangst ass coach and they had the mob pushing behind them. So when you say you went to that barbecue, was did you get any mob es?
Speaker 2: Now, it was just a nice barbecue.
Speaker 3: That's the right answer.
Speaker 2: Like we protected around this motherfucker.
Speaker 6: You'd have to ask Stacy Larry Johnson about that. But they you know, Turkey was a player's coach. He let the players be themselves.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: He had players from Detroit, from La So and also they were you know, always looked upon as the best.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: But it was there's stories that that are out there like that. I don't know if they're true, but I was after after that, Tark never left U n LV, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jason, take me back when I mean talk about being the best. When did you start to develop confidence? You remember it was a moment or was there a game, Was there a conversation your parents? Was it just a family member, someone stranger came up and said in seventh eighth grade, hey kid, keep doing what you're doing. You got something special.
Speaker 6: No, you know, I think it started in elementary school, seventh eighth grade when there was a referee said, man, you're going to be good. And I was like, I let the referee tell me I'm gonna be good.
Speaker 2: And so well, this was this was.
Speaker 6: Cyo so so I was just like, ah, that's cool. And then I did get the opportunity to play with Gary a lot, uh, and he let me know that I was not very good, and he talked a lot of shit, and he let me know every time. And I thought, you know, I was feeling pretty good about myself, that I could score and then we would work out. He would not let me score, and so I had to figure out I had to you know, continue to keep working. And so he humbled me that let me know that I wasn't good and I wanted to become better. So I came back for those ass kickings, and Gary helped me, you know, become the player I am, and he taught me a lot. I just couldn't talk and play like he did. I thought I would get too tired. I mean, but he he could talk and he could back it up and he could play at a high level. But I always thought, man, if I talk, I'm gonna be tired, I'm gonna be gassed out. But for whatever reason, he knew how to do both at a very high level.
Speaker 3: Were you were your parents big talkers? Were they out there? Were they pushing you all the time or were they just proud of you? Just you be you are? They they want to see you where you are today?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have a great question. And my parents were very supportive. They they both had jobs. They both made sure I got the practice and so there was you know, no like we have the number one high school player in the country.
Speaker 2: It was like, how can we help you? Support you?
Speaker 6: And I was just very blessed to have my mom and dad you know, support me to get me to practice into the games and uh and fly me around the country. My dad actually worked for t w A trans America back in the day, so we were very fortunate to be able to, you know, fly on standby. I learned patients, I think from standby because it was like sitting there like, yeah, we get on this flight, we got to wait and we could spend most of the day in the airport and so uh, but it was it was I was very lucky to have my parents.
Speaker 5: And Jason.
Speaker 1: How was it so you get drafted and and back to Marshall and those were the hey days because you get you came in and your shoe deal is probably one hundred million. The contracts, I mean, the money back then was crazy in terms of shoe contracts else. So how was that back then in terms of just navigating the financial side of things at at nineteen years old, we leave cal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I think that's a great question in the sense of we were the last year of the big deal. So anytime Glenn Robinson was the number one pick and he was asking for one hundred million, and so I was like, oh, this is great. I'm the number two pick, so I'm a fall whatever he gets, I'm a fall a little bit below him.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 6: It ended up, I think to be a fifty four million dollar deal for ten years, and so it was a deal or nine years.
Speaker 2: So it was a great deal. It was the last of the big deals.
Speaker 6: And so after that, the league went to the slotted you know, being slotted. So the number one, number two pick, number three pick all were slotted. And so I was very lucky. Glenn Robinson signed a nice deal. Grant Hill was third, he signed a nice deal. So and then he signed a nice deal with Fela, and I got lucky to sign a nice deal with Nike.
Speaker 2: Man he'll drink right, uh.
Speaker 3: But so Jason, just you know, take me through. I mean, that's those early experiences, and obviously that those changes that the NBA and the league started to make after those big deals, and you know, take us now to where we are today, and there's a lot of conversations folks are having about the n B A a lot of positive conversations, obviously a lot of concern just viewership, how the game is quote unquote changing, uh, and and how to make it more relevant uh in you know, in season, tournament now, just ways of getting more eyes and looking more globally at the sport. I mean, what's what's been your journey and what's your over under on how things have evolved or devolved from your perspective.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the game is in a in a great place. I think history always repeats itself, as we know, and just understanding the changing of the guard from Staph and Lebron. We had the changing of guard, you know, from Magic to Larry Bird to Michael Jordan, and so just understanding there's always maybe I don't want to use the word slippage, but just where there's a downturn just for a second.
Speaker 2: But we are our league is full of.
Speaker 6: Stars, a lot of international stars, and so it just shows the game is global and that it's grown. Yes, we're shooting a lot of threes, Uh, there's a lot and everyone can shoot today, and so just understanding that there's gonna probably be you know, we're we're gonna get a dominant, you know, player like Victor who can play inside out, you know, just understanding his skill set, just like Giannis, uh, you know, being able to play inside and out.
Speaker 2: But I truly believe we have one of the great games.
Speaker 6: I think the nd season Tournament, Uh maybe it could become and this is just my opinion, could become the All Star Game where we can have a semis and finals because it becomes competitive.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, we.
Speaker 6: Didn't like last year's All Star Game where they score two hundred points.
Speaker 3: It's like one of those Marshaan games back.
Speaker 6: But I think the game is in a good place and the players have gotten better, and so the league is always looking, you know, how can we keep the viewers watching? And again, talent does that. And I think for our youth, with Victor being one of the young talented players in our league, people are going to watch him. With jokers doing in Denver, he can win another MVP just he makes the game look so easy. Shae in Oklahoma City, so again, Shase from Canada and so again. The international game is on the rise for us at the US. We have to start developing our players or we're going to be in trouble in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jason, I got a question and we talked about it. Obviously, you're a huge football fan, and the difference between football and basketball is so huge. For example, you look at the Sacramento Kings up the road from US. You know, they get the franchises on the rise the last four or five years, they get rid of Mike Brown and now Dearon Fox wants to trade. And in the NBA, when these guys want trades, they get traded. There's not an NFL player that will go to an owner say I want to be traded.
Speaker 5: The owner will say, we're not trading.
Speaker 1: Why is it In the NBA, If Fox or Jimmy Butler, these guys want trades, they always get traded, versus the NFL, where the owner says, screw you, I'm not moving you.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it is two different sports because you don't hear a lot of NFL players coming out saying they're going to hit you don't want to be traded. But I think when you look at the NBA and just the talent level, where if Jimmy Butler or Fox has to be traded, the value of those players can bring you back the value of what you think. And so but again, when we have these different platforms, it gives everyone the opportunity to speak out and things have changed where now a lot of players do exercise that platform to uh, to try to get traded. And so also it gives media something to talk about in northern California or down in the South Beach. But I think truly, UH, that will always be part of the game of a player, a star player not liking the situation and wanted to be moved. And a lot of times you start to see these mega teams that are being created and so maybe Fox will probably want to know, join a mega team?
Speaker 3: What on this? On the other side of that, as a coach, I mean, you know you've been at this. I love the I mean you started coaching right when you were done with with u with playing and you immediately moved on. I mean was that first of all, was that a natural evolution meaning you had your mind already set on that being your next career choice or did that happen in some other way? And number two, the whole isshue of coaching. Now the pressure you're getting and the pressure you've had as as a coach and a number of teams to win and win. Now win it all costs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think when you look at when I was coming out the car ran out of gas as a player, I knew I needed to do something different and I started to think about coaching, GM ownership, and I thought, if you go into coaching, it gives you the background if you're going to go to become a GM or become an owner of understanding what a coach goes through. It's easy to say, Okay, you lost two or three in a row and go, hey, we got to change the coach, but there's so many things that go into that. And so with injury or illness or just you're not making shots. It happens in a eighty two game season, and you know, how do you stay positive and turning around? And so that was the thinking about going into coaching. I want to understand from the ground floors. It's understanding like what it means to be a coach. And then to that second part, coaching is tough because you were the first one to take the sword and so uh, no matter. You know, Mike Brown did a great job in Sacramento, but you're not behind the closed doors of what's being said uh to ownership. Uh, they felt they needed to make a change. Unfortunately, it's the coach before the player, and so Mike Brown is one of our better coaches in this league, and unfortunately in that situation, he got fired. But I think when we sign up to be a coach, you know that you're gonna get You're gonna take the blame, uh for the losses. You never get credit for the wins, and you're the first one on the list that has to go. And so that's that's the challenge. But we signed up for that challenge because we all want to win.
Speaker 3: Jason, is it harder for you? You know? And you know there's as Doug introduced you, there's no other way to describe you except a legend in the sport. Well, is it harder being so exceptionally talented to have been such a great player to coach other players? I meaning, do you have because I imagine you have this instinct Jesus Christ, I get my ass in here. I'll tell you how it's done. I mean there must be that push pull or or is it easier because you have more empathy for these guys out there on the court.
Speaker 6: No, I think it's It was hard at first, that's for sure, going straight from playing to coaching. But I was blessed to have Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Sean Liviston, Darren Williams, Joe Johnson, so I have vets that just played against. The language was very similar what I saw and I shared with them. They understood for the younger players, you have to be patient. You have to leave your ego or what you would do in that situation because a lot of times they can't see what you see. And so first you got to get to their levels, like ask hey, what do you see? And when they tell you, you go, okay, this is what I you. I can feed them of how to teach, because if you go into just stractly what I was taught, it can confuse a young player. And so you have to be patient, You have to spend a lot of time. We talked about AAU. We have to be better in that part of game because it's terrible. And then we really to look at the European model, the academies and being able to get developed coaching and be able to develop players, and I think we're missing the boat on both of those right now.
Speaker 3: Is the NBA moving in that direction? I mean, is the league itself starting to move away from talking about that to actually doing something about that?
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 6: So, I hope that's something on their agenda because I think when you look at the European model of Real Madrid or these teams that are over there with the academies and then being able to develop at the age of thirteen fourteen, fifteen, developed coaches, I think we all always, you know, look at just the player, but how can we develop coaches? And I think here in the States, if someone was to come up with an academy for just coaches, that would become a gold mine because we don't have enough good coaches throughout our sports industry.
Speaker 1: So, Jay, you played against them both. Okay, let's settle this now. Who's the greatest of all time? Is Lebron or is it mj.
Speaker 3: Oh Here we go, Jesus, this that stresses me out, this conversation. Let's hear it. It does stress me out. I got spell.
Speaker 1: Hey, by the way, Jason didn't listen to me. Not many people can sit You can ask someone like Jason, who's the top seventy five player of all time, one of the greatest players ever to play.
Speaker 3: That being careful though, he's got to be. I'm worried about Jason here as a politician that wanted to be careful.
Speaker 6: I don't give a politician answer.
Speaker 3: That's what I that's what I'm hoping for the politician. No politics, man, I know, I know, no politics, all right, So just yeah, no, So that's it, no politics, Jason, tell us who is it? Yeah, don't don't say good things about the other person. Just let us have it. Let's hear it, man, let's do your private voice.
Speaker 6: M Jay's he was the assassin. He's the best to do it. He set the bar for for Lebron and for Kobe uh to go chase and both and both went to chase it and both touched it. And and what Lebron has done is now set the bar even higher for the next guy.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: And when you talk about the Joker Luca, guys like Victor, Lebron has now set the bar becoming a billion dollar athlete.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: Now now that now those guys have something to chase. And so I would say doctor J set the mare for MJ. And then MJ took it and took it to the moon. And now it's up to our next generation to go chase Lebron. And that's a political way.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to I know that was an answer non answer. I was good, though, it was good. I'll give you a B A B B minus.
Speaker 2: I see he been, he been, He's been watching you Batman.
Speaker 3: But hey, Marshawn, what I appreciate is he started with with and there's no other way to describe MJ except as an assassin. And it's so interesting to hear folks like you, Jayson. It's one thing that you're sitting worse than on the sidelines. But but the way he's been described in terms of again just there's sort of fierceness, is a competitiveness. I mean, he was going to take you down. It was a zero sum mindset as it lates to being out there on the court.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was, and he I think when you talk about Kobe, Kobe copy MJ. And he wants to be MJ. And so to understand what Kobe did, and then Kobe took it to another level, and then Lebron has now taken it to another level. And so I think it's you know who's the best man. I would love to see him and Lebron play.
Speaker 2: One on one.
Speaker 6: I did get the opportunity in O eight to see Kobe and Lebron practice for the Team USA, So uh, it's it's incredible. You know, we talk about the greatest uh M set the bar and uh and the Kobe and Lebron chased and I think they both touched that status and have now taken it to another level.
Speaker 5: Hey, Jace, let me ask a question.
Speaker 1: It seems it seemed like like Mike was sort of a mythical figure.
Speaker 5: He didn't go out a whole lot.
Speaker 1: He was like, it's like almost when I when I'm with Marshawn at times, Marshawn goes through some place and people, oh that's more Sean. MJ seemed like was he one of the guys or is he kind of like, oh my god, MJ showed up. Was he was he kind of in a different planet back then in terms of the.
Speaker 5: Awe for a lot of players in the NBA.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, he is one of the guys. He definitely hung with the guys. He wanted to be with the guys. He would play cards, uh, you know, talk trash to you. Uh, but he was one of the guys. Now, he didn't go out a lot in public just because of the attention, but he liked to hang.
Speaker 2: With the guys and play cards. And we all know that he loves to play golf. Uh.
Speaker 6: But again he would he wants to compete. He would bet that he could beat you at anything, and that if you were up for that challenge, he was always willing to make that bet.
Speaker 2: Damn, that's crazy. So there we was. There was a game.
Speaker 4: We was we you know, we was on our We was on our mission too, yeah, I mean trying to become a dynasty.
Speaker 2: And uh, I remember there was a game. Uh we was playing against Tennessee. Earl had these.
Speaker 4: He had these, uh these twelves, the blue twelves, a little bit green. I'm like, brod im cleve bro as fuck like me take them. He gave it to me the week of practice. I'm like, hell yeah, So I put him on ice, put them up. I took them home.
Speaker 2: You know what i mean.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I finna wear these in the game. He thought I was gonna wear the man practice. So we get out there pre game. You know, I wore a different shoes, so game time started. Put them Jason, we're doing out there, you know, I mean, I'm having a pretty decent game. Hell yeah. All I could think in my head is.
Speaker 2: Is it the shoes? Hell Year.
Speaker 4: Come in at halftime, I'm feeling good, like, oh yeah, I found they number. I know what type of time it's on. I'm finna go out here. We're finna put these away. We get in there where the equipment manager come over to me, man like, hey, you gotta take them shoes off.
Speaker 2: Like what they take my shoes? Are? You got me fucked up?
Speaker 4: Earl come over to me like, hey shine bro, Hey beat moke and you gotta take them shoes off, bro, or I'm gonna lose my deal.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: The Jordan team just called me said, man, you gotta take them motherfuckers off.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's you serious.
Speaker 4: You're going crazy, So alright, it's cool now. I ain't taking these shoes off. He said, no, Bro, you gotta take them shooter. Bro.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: If you don't take them shoes off, bro, I'm gonna lose my deal. I'm like, man, you know what fuck it? Man took the shoes off? Was mad as fuck? Ended up you know what I mean, two touchdowns one hundred and fifty, and so after the game, I'm like, hey, bro, was it the Jordan team that called you? Or did Jordan call you? Because if Jordan called you, then I ain't tripping. But if it was a team, I should have kept them fucking shoes on.
Speaker 2: Nah, broh, you know what I mean. I would have loved to keep my deal man.
Speaker 4: So I appreciate it, but it's it's something special about, you know what I mean, putting them shoes on.
Speaker 2: When you talk about, you know, the greats and all that.
Speaker 4: But I'm I consider I'm playing football and I'm out there with the twelves on. I'm thinking, like, it's really the shoes that got me acting up like this right now, because yeah, I mean, we wasn't even supposed to The game was supposed to have been a We was supposed to exploit the uh they pass defense. But for whatever reason, once I put them Jay's on one hundred and fifty on their ass, I say, they can't stop it. It's got to be the shoe. They made me come up out the motherfucker's.
Speaker 3: Hat, Jason. Is it the shoes? Is it the shoes Jasoners, the coaches, What the hell is it?
Speaker 2: I look up with the shoes? With the shoes?
Speaker 3: Is it said from a guy with a fifty million dollar shoe contract back in the day?
Speaker 4: Well, say I was stepping on the ass too where I was getting to it.
Speaker 3: By the way, Jason, did you ever imagine I mean, you know, sort of moving, you know, a little bit off the grades to one of the obviously, just this the legend that is the continuous Lebron. I mean, seriously, do you ever imagine a guy at forty years old doing what he's doing? I mean, did you ever imagine yourself? I mean? Or is it just stretched the mind?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: And all these players are looking differently at their lives and future and their health regimen and their workout routine offseason. I mean, what is it? What has it done to the to the you know, to the league itself, or even your own thoughts about your own career looking back?
Speaker 2: Well, when Lebron is doing at forty is incredible.
Speaker 6: But it give him the flowers that he needs because he's taking care of his body and his mind at a very young age. He's been surrounded with people who've told him about stretching about what to eat, how to take care of your body. There's a number that's floating around out there that you know how much he spends on his body. But the return is greater than anything than what he's doing. But on that floor right now, I think he had thirty something the other night. He looks like he's thirty two years old. He's playing in the game the right way, and he's again carrying a franchise at the age of forty, which is incredible.
Speaker 1: Jason, did you and Marshawn? I mean back in your day, and I know Marshawn's regiment. At times he would, uh, he would drink some Hennessy and put a weight vest on, run the hills of Oakland and that was his midnight routine.
Speaker 5: And it wouldn't stretch. Would go out and do his thing.
Speaker 1: Did you guys back in your day, there wasn't a lot of There wasn't a lot of regiments, right, you just go play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not the stretch.
Speaker 6: It was more like, hey, did you have McDonald's or or you know what, what.
Speaker 2: Did you see? Are you going to stop by and have?
Speaker 6: And uh, Now, it wasn't a lot of the things that are out there today. It was about grit, about what, you know, your superstition, Like what did you have the last game? You kind of stayed in that territory. But today it's it's not even close to you know, going to have McDonald's. No, I don't quite hearing anybody going to mc donal's. Everything is a salad, everything vegan.
Speaker 3: So I don't think is lucky he retired. He wouldn't be up for.
Speaker 1: That getting your sleep and and all that stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a different ball game. There's a lot more information. Uh, you know, running the Hills of Oakland with the way to invest you know, that was that was like probably primetime. That was probably the best thing to do at that point because that was the only thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, little Jerry Rice in that Oh yeah yeah, Hey Jason, what you know we talked about. You know, there's an inevitable question about the goat on the court, But I mean, how about on the coaching ranks? I mean, was it Larry Brown, is it Wilkins? I mean who's I mean, who are the folks out there for your perspective that are just the true legends in the coaching spirit. Twin forget that soone the only reason he's bringing that up. Someone asked me, boy, it must be cool to be Pratt Riley's son. I'm like, it's amazing, it's incredible.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Patti is probably one of the goats. But when you look at what Pop has done, uh, you know in his career, and hopefully he has the speedy recovery he's back on the sidelines here soon. But when you look at the great you brought up some Lenia Wilkins, I think you look at Don Nelson when he did differently he played. He he was different and sometimes people didn't accept different, but I thought offensively, Uh, he opened it up run TMC. And then when he got to Dallas with Dirk and Nash and Finn, uh, he did things differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then when you look at what Steve Kurr has done in Golden State, you look at uh, you know, we got a lot of great coaches, but one of my favorite coaches, hopefully he's up for the Hall of Fame, is Dick Mada. Tigmata won a championship, but always was one of those coaches that went and it was a rebuild and helped rebuild the organization to become you know, relevant, and I think he just never got enough credit to do that. He was the first Dallas Mavericks coach. He was my first coach here in Dallas, and so I think he hopefully he gets recognized and it can make it to the Hall of Fame here. But again, when you talk about Pop pat Riley, uh, you know guys who've had to deal with stars, and Phil Jackson will be in that boat too, being able to deal with stars to get to their level and then to get them to perform at the highest level at the right time. And Phil Jackson everybody talks about he's always had the greatest but sometimes when you have the greatest player, that doesn't always mean you're.
Speaker 2: Going to win.
Speaker 6: And so, uh it puts a little bit more pressure. But I thought, again, what he did it and the success that he's had is he goes down as one of the best to do it.
Speaker 5: Hey, Jay, we're just talking about it.
Speaker 1: The incident in Sugar Bowl and the game got postponed. Marshaun was going to the Rose Bowl the next day and Gavin, you know, was there stuff about do we play the rose Bow or not? As a coach and as the team, do you guys talk about that kind of stuff. If that happened at a game, about do we play, do we want to play safety or is it kind of just like it's just kind of one of those things.
Speaker 6: No, it's it's definitely talked about with the players because it's about the players, it's about the safety of players families too. A lot of times we always just focus on the game, but if there was a family member that was caught in something like that, that's just tragic, and so you have to you have to think about family and friends as much as it is just a game. What happened is really sad, and again for that to take place, it's just you know, hopefully that doesn't happen again, but it does, you do talk with the players, and then it's kind of taken out of your hands because again, the college committee is going to decide if that game is going to be played or not. Are those other games are going to be postponed? And so they went ahead and played them. But again, it's it's a sad thing, tragic, and you never want something like that to happen.
Speaker 1: And Jason Marshawn has talked about this in terms of when he was playing and the fan, the levels of fan craziness of them thinking they can you know, say whatever and do whatever.
Speaker 5: When you played, it was probably bad.
Speaker 1: But now it's gotten out of control, right, I mean, whether it be Luke or Kyrie or these legends are players. Nowadays, these fans pay five six hundred bucks in the floor and think.
Speaker 5: They have the ability to say whatever and do whatever. I mean, is it you see that now at a different level.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's definitely has grown. What the things that are said to coaches or two players, Uh, gambling has I think has an effect on that also, Uh see yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, and that the problem I mean at the game is expected, like I get it at the game, but now they have direct access to the individual.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: And it's almost I mean it's with with how social media is, it's almost easier. Like I mean, you know most people, you you would need their number to call them and reach out to them and say some wild ship like but now they can just get directly to you through any of these social media apps. That's just I mean, they palle up that that's a big thing that that you know, as as I think about it, like damn, that shit can be fucked up. But it's only like for the players. That's like, well from me considering, you know, I just pulled out my uh my newspaper clip and then you know, while I'm playing, all of a sudden, you got this new social media thing where it's like what the fuck? But I was thinking like, damn, how the fuck do these you know, these little get you know, acclimated with it. But the thing is they grow up with it, so they they actually like they live it. This is their means of communication and you know how they deal with it because I mean, uh, you know the ship with the with the young boy right now? Uh, Travis Hunter, like how you know everybody talking about you know what I mean, his his his his business and ship. I'm just thinking, like fuck, what the main focus is about? Nothing that anybody should be folks Like how you deal with that as a as a person considering Like I'm here to you know what I mean, play my sport.
Speaker 2: But this is what y'all choose to talk to?
Speaker 5: Did Gavis?
Speaker 1: Travis Hunter got ripped because his girlfriend or Fielance say whatever, didn't stand up or whatever, and during the the ceremony, Yeah, it's sort of what's ripping this guy?
Speaker 5: Like, it's like, dude, like, what does it have to do with playing the game.
Speaker 3: It's interesting the combination of social media. But I think going back to what Jason was saying too, just the gambling side, it was interesting. I was in the airport a few months ago and a major league gumpire came up to me and wanted to say hello. We started chatting and I said, you know, he'd been in the league for a few decades, loved it. He said I'm done though, And I said, why are you done? He goes, I got to retire because it's out of control, the gambling. I said, what does that mean? He goes. I said, how does that affect to you? He says, I'm getting threats all the time. It's not with combination of social media. Every ball and strike, he says, I'm done. I'm tapping out. So it's you know, it's interesting, Jason, just from the and it goes to your question, Doug, just the fan experience and this sort of their sense of entitlement and right to know because they've got something on the line themselves, not just the players. So that that's something we're going to have to obviously have to get our arms around Jason, What's I mean again, what's is the league having real conversations in this space?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the league, it's definitely having a lot that our kids are dealing with. Uh, but not you know, just as you brought up, not just the players, but you have the officials, you have the coaches. You know, there's there's so many people who have effect on a on a game and that are being reached because of the platforms.
Speaker 2: Uh. And so it's something that we have to do a deep dive.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 6: We want to protect the game, but also we want to protect the individuals because this is this is We're all human, We're not AI. You know, we have feelings, you know, and so when someone is at the airport, you know, going at you, this isn't the game. As Marshawn talked about, we accept the game. The game is fine to cheer and say what you want to say, but when you're at the airport or going to a restaurant, that that's unacceptable.
Speaker 3: Amen. Well what is uh, what is very acceptable is our attitude for you, Jason, for you know, and we haven't gotten to you being the father then am triple double and what in the world would have looked like in a three point world if you had sort of honed that in and had those opportunities back in the old, the og days. But man, it's great to have you. There's a you know, I love. Quoting the great Jerry Garcia said, you don't want to be the best of the best. You want to be the only one that does what you do. And you look at your career and everything you've done across so many different decades. It's a hell of a life you're living and we're looking forward to the future. Thanks for being with us, buddy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, thank you, big dog.
Speaker 6: Thank you, and thank you big dog for having me.