Speaker 1: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today? You're not interested in art?
Speaker 2: Now? No, Look, we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 1: We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 3: From Chicago.
Speaker 4: This is Film Spotting celebrating our twentieth year. I'm Josh Larson.
Speaker 1: And in for Adam this week, I'm Michael Phillips.
Speaker 5: I am recording this fair warning is not really necessary.
Speaker 1: Look Joe six feet.
Speaker 4: That's Joaquin Phoenix and Pedro Pascal and the trailer for Ariasters Eddington, a film which whisks movie audiences back to the magical year of twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: I am masked up and ready to go.
Speaker 4: Josh cut our review, plus the top five Woaquin Phoenix performances.
Speaker 3: And more ahead. I'm film Spotting.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by dead Man's Wire, the new film from Roque Entertainment. Dead Man's Wire is the incredible true story of the nineteen seventy seven kidnapping that turned an aspiring entrepreneur into an outlaw folk era. Directed by legendary filmmaker Gus van Zant, dead Man's Wire stars Bill Scarsguard Daker, Montgomery, carry Always and Mahalla with Coleman Domingo and al Pacino, now playing in select theaters everywhere. January sixteenth.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Film Spotting. It's Pedro Pascal's world, Michael, we just live in it, okay.
Speaker 1: And the time it took you to say that sentence, Josh. Pedro Pascal started a film podcast and has already already got five trillion subscribers, So.
Speaker 4: He's a busy You know, you think you're joking, but I bet that's true. Later in the show, you're going to have some thoughts, some feelings too, I hope about the new Pascal starring Fantastic four First Steps, plus a new Golden Brick nominee from me. It's for a deeply strange movie called Sunlight, and we'll have a new deeply flawed Film Spotting poll question. All that, plus from the Film Spotting archive, it's our top five Walking Phoenix performances. Adam and I did that one back in twenty twenty three, around the time of the previous Phoenix Ariastor collaboration bo Is Afraid, But First Astors Eddington, which opened and wide released this weekend and has been the recipient of strongly and maybe this is appropriate divisive takes since its debut at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year. Phoenix is Joe Cross, a conservative small town sheriff with political ambitions. Pedro Pascal is Ted Garcia, the town's incumbent mayor. Oh and did we mention that it's twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: So what have you been doing in there? It's takeaway drinks.
Speaker 4: All the town council members.
Speaker 7: That's essential business.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't just call a central business whatever you want.
Speaker 3: It's a city council meeting.
Speaker 4: Wherever city council people congregate.
Speaker 3: It's the mayor's office.
Speaker 2: If I'm inside, then you were open and you have a pain customer costs trying up.
Speaker 4: He's aggressive, he's dangerous. He needs to be locked up.
Speaker 2: Your streets.
Speaker 3: No, they're your streets, sheriff.
Speaker 2: They're your streets to keep safe.
Speaker 3: And where is your man?
Speaker 4: To kickstart our Eddington conversation, Michael, I'm going to lean on our producer Sam and something he posted recently in Discord for film Spotting family members. Just a reminder here, listeners that access to the discord is one of the benefits of being a family member, So if you haven't already signed up, we'd love to have you do that over at film spottingfamily dot com. Now, Sam's prompt was this, what's the best COVID movie? And by COVID movie, I don't necessarily mean a movie that was made during the pandemic. I mean a movie that is explicitly or metaphorically reckoning with our shared experience as people who lived through the pandemic. For example, the first titles I think of our asteroid city and white Noise. Well, Michael, Certainly, Eddington, written and directed by Ariastor of Hereditary and Midsommar Fame, counts as what Sam calls a COVID movie. Set in the small New Mexico town of the title, during the spring of twenty twenty, the film pits Joaquin Phoenix's sheriff Joe Cross, a skeptic of the virus in general and of masking in particular, against Pedro Pascal's mayor Ted Garcia, who staunchly supports mandates requiring masks, limiting customers in grocery stores, and establishing six feet of separation in public. Have I triggered you enough yet, Michael? The movie expands beyond the standoff between these two men. However, to consider how the entire community crumbles amidst escalating personal tensions, political posturing, and social media fueled conspiracies. Going back to Sam's prompt about COVID movies, I unsurprisingly leaned toward Asteroid City if I were looking to put a film in the time capsule for future generations. Though that's partly because I think Asteroid City touches on current anxieties even beyond the pandemic. Now Listeners on the film spotting Family discord throughout other titles for pandemic movies, such as Steven Soderberg's Kimmy, Sarah Polly's Women Talking, and Ryan Johnson's Glass Onion. What say you, Michael about pandemic movies in general and Eddington in particular? Is Eddington a time capsule film for the pandemic? Or should it be left in the dustbin of history largely forgotten?
Speaker 1: And that's kind of how at least half and maybe more of the can first responders to Eddington feel like to hell with it? I mean, they didn't like it in any way, And I think it's actually getting a more interesting response here in release, because I'm reading kind of a really sharply divided and also I think a lot of people stepping up on Reddit or letterboxed two and not just so not just mainstream you know, old lye critics, but people stepping up and really grappling with the fact that they really like a lot of it and really kind of hate a lot of it. And that's me. Yeah, in that way, it's not It doesn't really reflect the the psychic temperature of the pandemic, because I don't think anybody, any sane person would feel that they were had mixed feelings about you know, the last five years, you know, I mean, and it's just nothing but fall out of every kind that we're going to be studying a generation from now. We barely know what it is. But it's hard to it's really hard to get extremely recent history sorted out in your mind about what captured you know, you know, twenty twenty, or just even just sort of like a metaphoric sort of pandemic sense of isolation and all the rest of it. I do love that somebody brought up Kimmi though, because I love Soderberg's Kimmi. If you want to talk about a straight ahead, straight ahead meat and potatoes, you know, kind of linear mystery thriller, storytelling in a pandemic, shot in a pandemic, set in a pandemic with an agoraphobic, pandemically paranoid for good reason character trying to solve, you know, a rear window type mystery in her Laft without leaving it. And I love that about that, and I think that film is just a grand, efficient story to us. Yeah, that's one, but yeah, I mean Eddington, I wrote a really squirrely review on that one. I do think I was happy to have seen it a second time, frankly to kind of help sort it out why. I really like a lot of the first two thirds and I kind of hate the last forty minutes. Did you feel that way?
Speaker 4: Yes, it definitely escalates spirals, goes off the rails, becomes unhinged, whatever description you want to use. Purposely, so though, I think that's the intent to get us to that point, I am in a similar place as you, and maybe we can both help each other find a more firm position to take at the end of this conversation. I'm at a similar place as you in terms of liking a lot of it, disliking much of it, not thinking that something's work thinking that some things are pretty audacious and impressive. I don't have as linear of a response where it's a first half second half break. To me, though I would agree, I do think the second half is weaker, squirrely review. Maybe that's what listeners are going to get, because that's how I feel. I went into this somewhat dreading it, even though I am a very big fan of Hereditary and had positive, if mixed feelings about his other films. I just didn't want to go back to twenty twenty. I wasn't really ready. I didn't know what could be said about it this soon. Maybe that's why we're struggling, Michael Is. It's not so much that Eddington doesn't have anything to say about it, because I did think. I do think I landed on something there, But I don't know how helpful it is to capture the brain rot and the chaos, and the honestly the dysfunction and hatred that we experienced just a few years on from the dark heart of the pandemic. I don't know what the ultimate value is of an endeavor like that, but I found myself surprisingly appreciating the attempt. It's not entirely successful. But I did appreciate the attempt and the one thing. Let me throw this out at you and see if you know there's the one thing, this one thing that I kind of landed on it. Maybe this is what the movie's trying to do, is just capture the fact that in the pandemic, the virus was not enough of an enemy for us as human beings. You would think, and initially maybe it felt this way that could you ask for a more common enemy to unite against is a virus?
Speaker 3: But what did we do?
Speaker 4: We just tore each other apart eventually instead, and Eddington, to my mind, is capturing how that happened in this particular town.
Speaker 3: I think what Astra is trying.
Speaker 4: To do is explore the way distrust, disinformation, and as I mentioned, just hatred between people flared during the early months of the pandemic. And I don't know if he's as successful the microcosm in the first half that he offers I think is successful. Maybe that's why you like the first half better, where we're getting to learn how this particular community responded the macrocosm. I think that he also wants this movie to be for America as a whole. Maybe even beyond the pandemic, just as a nation. I don't know if Eddington is assured enough to pull that off, but as an attempt to capture that brain rap that you know, really did spread from sea to shiny sea in this country. I do think the movie. I do think the movie manages that in some pretty effective ways. Do we need it now? I'm not so sure about that. But did you did that have a hook for you?
Speaker 3: Always?
Speaker 1: Just kind of honestly, I couldn't agree less with you on the fact of whether or not it's too soon. I think film history is full of you know, maybe foolish, hopefully very talented, a lot of them, brilliant film directors and screenwriters who take on what is happening right now or very recently, and you know, maybe maybe this pandemic was simply too wrenching, you know, and a lot of people lost a lot of lives in their immediate family or friends or whatever. You know, no argument. Absolutely I found it not too soon. And in fact, the best of this film, which is almost the first two thirds, it's really more like not halfway that I feel like it was settling for something else, because what happens a little past a halfway point, there is an escalation in the plot where a certain key character, you know, kicks it up a notch to quote Anchorman, and and you know, we have a kind of a different, a different, huge plot redirection, and it's it's it's very effective, I think, And I think one of the things Astor does really well. And this is also Joaquin Phoenix I think working at his best in this film. I mean, I don't think this is this film is Joaquin Phoenix at his best. But the best work he does in this film is we have we have a characterization of this guy, Joe Cross, who doesn't come out as a wildly political really like almost inhumanly stubborn caricature of a conservative, nothing like that. Nothing like that. It's a much more of a slow build and just kind of like, h I don't know about the band. I love the I love the tone of the first scene where you know, it's just it's just a debate and an argument between two reservation police coming off the pueblo and you know, saying to Joe and they're both both in their respective you know, law enforcement cars, and it's where's your mass Joy says, I don't need it? You know, very casual, and that's you know, it wasn't like it's not like the lines of being drawn in the sand. And I think that's why why the film is as intriguing as it is for as long as it is, because Joe Cross, even if he is you know, people disagree all over the place about how sympathetic or unsympathetic he is from from scene to scene, but he's generally a pretty foolish mediocrity of a man. And I think that's asters you know, he's he's not running from that, he's leaning into it, and it's up to it's up to the actor to make that compelling, even if not heroic, you know, but that's a good build to that character and very interesting swerves. And then know what's happening around that, well, you have you have at least four or five and maybe six different subplots that all kind of feed what is going on in this town. There's this nascent Black Lives Matter movement, very small but very mighty in the eyes of the mostly younger characters who are kind of newly awakened, let's say, by what they have seen on the TV in the recent George Floyd murder, up in Minneapolis, and that's why this film is set in when it's sad May twenty twenty, and some of those scenes are better written than others, or more germane to the I guess the overall plot. But I think you know, I am never a guy, Josh, who goes to any movie to see them tell me to watch movie makers and actors tell me a nice linear story. I appreciate it when it's interesting, I guess. But it's about forty ninth on my list of why I go to the movies. You know, I just I like somebody chaos. I mean this you want to talk about a chaotic time. I mean, in a way I wish this film we're a little more kind of out of control and chaotic in those early more realistic, uh kind of slyly comic scenes where everybody is kind of getting dinged for either their kind of liberal credulousness maybe in some characters eyes, or they're sort of like conspiracy prone mania or their butt headed conservatism. I mean, it's all there, and it was all in the country, and I like that Astor took it on, so I for me, it's not too early, Josh. It's like keep it coming. I like topical stuff that forces people into me calling you completely wrong in your opinion that it was too still to make this move.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, and then let me let me clarify that a bit. You can still call me wrong.
Speaker 3: Well, it's.
Speaker 1: So, but you're recording this, I mean, I mean, you can't clarify, you can't correct it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's against the rules. Yeah, no, no, it's obviously filmmakers can tackle timely subjects. But for me, I mean Eddington, I guess, is it too soon for what Eddington is trying to do?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe not to your point, maybe it is more successful to your point about the chaos, there is a sequence maybe we'll get into in that climax that I think absolutely is the where it goes and what happens is horrifyingly hilarious. That does capture the chaos of the moment, and maybe I can share that in a little later. But going back to Phoenix and this character of Joe Cross the Sheriff, I agree with you there on the characterization of him, because depending where you lived, the conflicts that you encountered at that time, maybe we're more like that, almost like aggressively passive aggressive about masks, you know, is how you and that's how Joe carries himself, right, is like, I'm not going to make a big deal about it, but I'm also not going to put the mask on. But notice this happens in an early scene at a grocery store where the employees are keeping an older man who's not wearing a mask out, and Joe stops them and says, you can't put your hands on him like that, and says let him in because the man is claiming he can't breathe through the mask. So okay, you know, everyone maybe is trying to be reasonable in this crazy situation. But then what happens. Then Joe enters the grocery store after the man and doesn't put on a mask on either, and so we're getting this slow escalation. The mayor is in the grocery store shopping, and so they have this confrontation, which is, you know, it's very familiar there. It's a showdown of claims and counterclaims, facts and rumors, pandering and posturing. And I thought that was very smartly handled and written. But to your point about you know, Phoenix's performance and the characterization of this sheriff notice that he buys the older man's groceries as well.
Speaker 1: And there's another moment, and that doesn't I just want to interdict, that does not seem like a screenwriter contrivance to make him more materially sympathetic. That actually seems it's very casually handled to this guy. Yeah, it seems like, okay, that's probably part of his thing. Yeah, okay, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 4: It's it's along the lines of when he tosses the bottle of water to the itinerant man, who's who's shuffling down the street and seems to be, you know, a regular fixture in the town. He you know, it's a small part for Emma Stone. I think she only has a handful of scenes, probably, But his wife is just stricken, and he's very tender. The sheriff is very tender about trying to reach her and making space for her. She creates these bizarre, creepy dolls that she sells online, and we learn early on he's buying them online to kind of, you know, give her a boost of encouragement. So there are these other sides to the sheriff that I think are important, especially to your point as things do escalate, and he, you know, he suffers from a particular form of brain rot in a particular political direction. At the same time, Pascal's mayor you know, the movie pokes at him too. He seems to he seems to almost delight in the new rules that the pandemic is allowing him to show that by following them, how progressive he is, you know. So this is this is a little bit of an undercutting of that character as well, which I think does make the movie richer. And we could list a number of other characters who are involved, but this thing really broadens out. I was wondering, Michael, a movie that came to mind, and maybe I'm way off here. You seem to be in the mood of telling me when I'm way off, so let me have it. But I thought at this point, I thought at this point about Robert Eltman's Nashville in the sense of a movie that does come to incorporate a very large ensemble cast, also wants to, you know, be a cinematic consideration of America at a critical juncture, and do it through this broad canvas. Now, stylistically, there I can't think of two filmmakers. Maybe further apart, right, Astor doesn't have the shaggy, free flowing touch that you know Altman does, which made us feel like a fly on the wall. Astor is very controlled. His films are very controlled, so there's that difference. But just in the sense of the broad canvas and trying to capture Americana, Nashville did come to mind for me. Yet, how far off am I?
Speaker 1: No, No, no, that's you're not. No. I'm sorry to jumped on your throat on the other one, but you know it's that's my job.
Speaker 3: You're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Nashville in fact, was just I think just part of the Altman retrospective at the Cisco Film Center, and I wish i'd seen that seen. I haven't seen it on the screen since I was a teenager.
Speaker 4: But it's been a long time for me too, so I could be off on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's yeah it. Astor is a different kind of I don't want to call him a satirist because I think one of the strengths of Eddington is that it's not straight up satire. I mean, don't look up. I'd agree the Adam McKay meteor, you know, liberal lament film that was straight up satire with then sort of a sledgehammer dose of pathos as the world's about to end at the end, and I didn't like any this is a different register. Yeah, and it's and it's it's a it's a little it's a little slippery almost all the way through. And I guess why I did think it, you know it, I I sense Astor's need to give this picture a satisfying, if outrageously kind of overscaled action climax, just to kind of bring it to a head. And maybe was always scripted that way. I probably was, but to me that the kind of outrageousness does seem to me much more puerile, and I guess adolescent need call it. I mean, I think I compared it to like Tarantino, a guy who I just don't think has a serious storytelling bone in his body. Truly. I think he's got great skill and he's often a lot of fun, but he you know, to me, it's it's just empty calories, uh, you know, and and you know, so be it, you know, asters much more he'll he'll never have the commercial instincts the Tarantino does. And this film. The funny thing about where this movie goes, where editing goes, and it's last half hour forty minutes or so. It's it's almost as if that part of the film exists, so that a twenty four could legitimately include some pretty shocking, you know, scenes of firearm you know, I mean, like like major league heavy duty firearms and fireballs as part of the trailer, and it looks like a movie. I mean that trailer is very, very crafty, and that it seems to get everything about the film, and it might even get a traditional action audience a little bit interested in seeing it. Now what they get when they go in the door, I mean maybe, but they're going to be waiting to way.
Speaker 4: Make it they make it to the fireballs, is I know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean he's not he's a funny guy astor because because if I go back to Midsommar, which I really again sort of loved the first two thirds, and I thought, even if it's a lot like The wicker Man and a lot like some other films, you know that that's set up, uh where where you really have a film it's about this very queasy relationship that you know is not destined to work out and it's it's in that movie. And Astor is writer director, very very properly hard on the on the on this on this worm of a male protagonist. And he's a very clear eyed and honest, kind of deadpan black humor perspective on on you know, on this outrageous, outrageous flaws of your typical American and that's what you get in Midsommer, and you also get that into Ednington. And I don't think it kills the movie. I think that actually, as I say, because Quaquin Phoenix is there to slowly build the character. And also the writing, as you say, it's not all one note like a movie like Don't Look Up. Just you know, they don't even have one note. Is too many notes for to describe Don't Look Up. And it's treatment of all the attitudes and characters, and that I think what you said about Emma Stone, yes, but I'm I think I read that those scenes differently even after two viewings than you.
Speaker 4: I think his tenderness towards her you're there.
Speaker 1: It's there. I think the tenderness is there, but it is more about a guy who's just struggling to try to for all the wrote reasons you know, keep this difficult and clearly kind of corrosive, corroding marriage together in this household where his mother in law. I mean, in another way, this movie is just just another mother in law joke.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like a little like bo as Afraid was in some ways, but it's yeah, it's a little mother issues. Yeah, and it's a little dumb. It's a little dumb and reductive about women in general. I think it's a little like I just don't get them. It's sort of the attitude of the characters. And it might it might interest be it might be Arister's you know, private struggle. Like many male writer directors to just write dimensional, interesting, surprising female characters. And I think, you know, Emma Stone does God knows every single thing she could do to make that woman more dimensional interesting than she is on the page.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a thinly written role. I will say Deirdre O'Connell as the mother in law gets maybe more scenes than Ada Stone. She certainly appears in the epilogue and is crucial to that. We won't give that away, but I thought she was fantastic, I mean, making more perhaps than what the screenplay provided. As this conspiracy theory obsessed mother in law, which is a crucial part of what people were, you know, going through, is when you couldn't have human connection, it just amped up our inclination to turn to digital connections, which is why Facebook, Instagram, YouTube plays a prominent role in this movie. I think it's pretty sharp about that. I would also say, to counter your claim about, you know, the sheriff's feelings towards his wife, one of the first videos we see him watching, I think it's the very first scene, is a YouTube video about someone talking about infertility and how that's hard for couples and handling it, and we learn that this is part of their difficulty in their marriage at least, if not infertility. I think it's just a willingness that he does want kids and she's not in an emotional state for it. So so yeah, I do think there's more of a genuine impetus to him, the sheriff, wanting to work out that marriage. But I agree the role that Emmastone plays is underwritten. Do you think we should segue Michael to a little spoiler? We've been dancing around that last third the climax, and I know I do want to mention one bit that really did work well for me, that chaotic bit, which is also a joke. I found it, but I'm not quite sure how So maybe listeners, if you haven't seen Eddington yet and don't want to hear a few spoiler bits towards the end, you might want to jump ahead. If you're going to do that and you end up seeing the film and want to let us know your thoughts, you can always email us at Feedback at filmspawning dot net. As we mentioned, Eddington is currently playing in wide release.
Speaker 2: You want things simple and neat. There was some allegations made, allegations like what you were in this house? Well, here's a quote from you arm yourself.
Speaker 7: I don't mean literal arms.
Speaker 2: I have motive. Oh we need evidence.
Speaker 4: People are going to be looking here now, So Michael, let's let's get to, you know, just some general thoughts about the ending, the bit in the climax, and this is to your point about everyone being skewered all their political positions. It's almost like the gunfire which erupts, we should say, because at this point the sheriff is being pursued by anti fascist assassins who come out of out of nowhere, heavily armed, chasing him across town, across the countryside, trying to kill him. So he breaks into the gun shop, comes out with like a Schwarzenegger style machine gun assembly, and just starts laying waste to the whole town.
Speaker 3: In defense.
Speaker 4: Supposedly, there is a bit in that chase Michael, I don't know what to make of this. Maybe you can help me, except that it seemed to capture the insanity of this country, going back from its very beginning. But across Sheriff Cross is being chased. He runs on top of the roof of the town's history museum, crashes through, lands on a display case that also breaks, shatters all over the floor, and the case is holding supposedly the bones of Geronimo. Now you mentioned the Pueblo commune next door. There is a thread acknowledging you know that part of America clearly originally the original indigenous peoples who lived here. That's a thread in this movie. And something about that bit where Cross is laying among the bones and then has to get up with his guns and still run out and try to take down his assassins. I don't I don't know what it says. I don't know what it means to say, but it seemed apropos for our current moment and as I said, the country's history. That's where I think Eddington is doing something that makes me at least glad I gave it a shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: What did you make of that whole sequence or the climax in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's that part of the sequence where we never really see any of the assassins in close up. I think I might be wrong on it, but I don't think so. So, I mean they're basically anonymous and gamer type assassins, right, Yeah, it's also kind of yeah, I never, I never, I never think that's the strength in narrative filmmaking. I think that's an immediate weakness because it makes it makes it easier to just sort of, you know, get off on the killing, which I you know, we've you know, the whole industry is built on that to some degree. But uh, I think the way that scene is staged and edited and timed, it it leans into the many, many too many times we've seen exactly that sort of thing played for straight laughs in a much lighter film, And so I think the audience doesn't know if you know what what what it's. It's it's a somewhat insecure a bit of that sequence. I think, you know, to your point, Astor doesn't quite really know how he wants to come off. I think just in that bit, uh, you know what I thought of I mean, I discus I've just seen the play recently, what I thought it was. I mean, this is this is sort of just the fact that he's landing on the bones of First Nation people who were there before all any of these idiot white people came along, just are shooting up their town, a town with the absolute palest whitest name in the history of fictional cities in film, Eddington, you know, and I'd love to get the backstory on the probably halpless military figure that it's named after. You know, maybe there's a maybe there's a short film in that. So maybe there's a Tracy Let's play called The Minutes that premier here at Steppenwolf, played on Broadway, and it's got a very similar kind of dynamic about these foolish, blinkered small town white sort of politicos just kind of going about their business and in a way that gets increasingly sinister, and it all kind of ends with this sort of second layer of history kind of eating them, eating them up on stage. I don't want to lay it out to uh too completely, but and it's all about the people that were there first. And yes, it's an effective moment, and it's also a little unexamined or it kind of needs a yes and improv prompt at that point, like yes, okay, good and and we don't really get that because it's an action set. I mean, I mean at that point, astor probably realized, Okay, this just has to kind of I have this thing carved up. In the eight beats, they're all increasingly violent and fatal and bloody, and you know, we just got to keep it going at this point. But I don't love I just don't love the way that movie, inevitably, I suppose, goes where it goes, and in sort of a way that again, if you see the trailer, you're really you're really I don't want to pin it on a twenty fours marketing, but it's just it's just promising a different movie than you get. And I think this movie really does get at a lot of what we still feel. And this is why I don't even look at it like recent history, Josh. I think you know how many people died last week of COVID in this country. I don't know, hundreds, maybe maybe more than a thousand. Is there always another viral threat seemingly these days. Yes, So to me, it just plays like it happens to be specific recent history, May twenty twenty. It also feels like, you know, like we're not over with this. It's not you know, in that regard, It's not well in every regard. This movie is not the best Years of our lives right. Came out in nineteen forty six, a year after the war, and the whole movie is about people coming home from the war like that. You know, it's set in you know, it's set basically one year back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great example to prove your point about it, you know, not being too soon. That is absolutely not a too soon movie for sure.
Speaker 1: One other thing I'll say, structurally, this is one of the few movies where I would say there's enough set up in the first three fifths that the film actually feels like it could be longer, could be two two hour chunks, it could be a four hour picture. I suspect that what he wrote initially was longer. I don't know. He's probably talked about, you know, whether or not it was ever much longer. The cut was three and a half hours instead of whatever it is two and a half. It's two and a half. But it does feel like it's either you know, this is one of the rare ones where it's like, you know, just not necessarily to clean up the mess of it, but to actually let some of the things flesh out. You know, it could have been longer, and there's something a little off about the length. So what do you think, do you think it's or did you feel like enough already?
Speaker 4: A little bit, But it also goes back to me for me, to the Altman thing a little bit, where you know, some of his movies you feel like, if not longer, you know, would be fantastic series where you could spend a little more time with some of these characters who just walk through and you become you know, you they grab your attention and you want to learn more about them. I mean, that's to those films credit, right, that's finding richness in small moments. But here, you know, we meet these kids, these teenagers. Those are interesting stories, you know, I think the Sheriff's deputies are interesting stories we only get little bits of and more about the marriage the movie I feel I could use. We've talked about, you know, Ema Stone being underused. So yeah, so before we wrap up here, we've worked through a few things. Do you feel stronger in terms of a little less squirrely? Let me say, would you say you are overall favorable on the film or more favorable I am than maybe after you saw it. Okay, I'm gonna go favorable as well.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm willingly saw twice. I am wildly conflicted about some of it. I do not like, you know, the impulse to just deliver, you know, the kind of somewhat weightless ultra violence at the end, and then it doesn't somehow it doesn't override everything I think the movie does not neat and tidy, but very intriguing ambiguities and tonal switches. No, I'm favorable. I want three stars, but star ratings mean nothing with a film like this. But yes, I would say check it out.
Speaker 3: About it totally?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, well I will give it a conflicted a conflicted recommendation from me as well. Eddington is currently playing in wide release. If you see it and agree or disagree, let us know feedback at film spotting dot net. Listening is the number one thing you can do to support an independently produced show like ours. Here are a couple of other things you can do to help us out. Take a minute to give us a rating or a review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Speaker 3: Feel free to do this.
Speaker 4: If you're a brand new listener, just one show under your belt, you have something you want to share, leave that review. Hey, if you've been listening for twenty years and you've never left a review, maybe now's the time. Every new review helps us reach new listeners. Another way to support us, you can join the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com. We want to thank family member Jason Monholland from Oklahoma City. If if you want to follow Jason on letterbox, you can find him at Sooner Moondog. So Michael, we have a little bit of a questionnaire we ask new family members to fill out if they so desire when they join the family. Jason did that for us, so I want to share some of his responses here. We ask you know when they started listening, if they remember their first show, and he says, it's been so long, I can't remember when I started listening. Well, thanks for sticking with us for a while, Jason. His favorite reviewer segment. Jason says, one that sticks out is the methodical way you broke down Killers of the Flower Moon. I love it when you guys geek out about a film or a filmmaker. What review did we get wrong? I struggle to recaller review I strongly disagree with, which means that either the show has started affecting the way I watch movies, or that we share similar viewpoints, in which case I commend you on your impeccable tastes. It's always always encouraging to hear that the indoctrination is taking effect among our listeners. All right, Jason on Letterbox, As I said, here's his top four films listed there, eight and a half, The Empire Strikes Back, Princess Mononoke, and Rear Window. Any issues with any of those titles, Michael.
Speaker 1: Oh, heck no, heck no, I mean I mean, yeah, we were just true everything.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, you know the way, well you get the Michael Phillips Seal of approval. Jason a favorite movie he revisited recently alien a random film or filmmaker that you love, Terry Gilliams, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and a movie he credits with becoming a cinophile, Akira kurosawas seven Samurai. One last question that Jason answered for us a book about movies or movie making. He said, the easy answer is Ebert's Great Movies, But I will mention a book I got from the book Fair as a young upcoming centophile that stuck with and ignited a curiosity about film move monsters, monster makeup, and monster shows to put on by Alan Ormsby. Thanks for the recommendation, Jason, I am unfamiliar with that one. Thank you again for joining the Film Spotting Family. If you would like to join the Film Spotting Family, just go to Film Spotting Family dot com.
Speaker 9: This episode is brought to you by Peloton break through the busiest time of year with the brand new Peloton Cross Training tread Plus powered by Peloton Iq. With real time guidance and endless ways to move, you can personalize your workouts and train with confidence, helping you reach your goals in less time. Let yourself run, lift, sculpt, push and go. Explore the new Peloton Cross Training tread plus at one peloton dot com.
Speaker 10: Thisay Summer, Marvel Studios invite you to the cinematic event of the year with everything from.
Speaker 1: Action You Awesome, Stink You to romance kis for luck. Be careful There.
Speaker 4: Pedro Pascal again in the trailer for Fantastic four First Steps, which arrives in theaters this weekend. This is the third attempt to bring the Fantastics to the screen, at least in a version that isn't widely hated by audiences and critics. There was two thousand and five's Chris Evans starring Fantastic Four, and then it's two thousand and seven sequel Rise of the Silver Surfer. Here's Roger Ebert weihine in should be ashamed to show itself in the same theaters as good superhero movies. And yes, I remember the competition was strong around two thousand and five and two thousand and seven. Ten years later we got Miles Teller and Michael B. Jordan's turn. That one fared even worse. Here's a review we dug up. Everyone on screen speaks in a flat, earnest monotone, bordering on openly not giving a rip. It's a choice, a boring one, but a choice. Do those words sound familiar, Michael.
Speaker 1: Folks, I think that's a little detritis that floated off a one star review in The Tribune.
Speaker 3: Yes, one star from Michael Phillips.
Speaker 4: Yes, you did not enjoy that one. Well, another ten years have passed and they're back. We have Pascal's Mister Fantastic, Vanessa Kirby as Sue Storm, Joseph Quinn as Johnny Storm, and even Muss Backrex the Thing. But this one the first Fantastic Four produced by Marvel Studios. It's directed by Matt Shackman. Is in the space age nineteen sixties, when the quartet first appeared in comics. So Michael, I saw those first two Fantastic Four movies. Also not a fan. I skipped the twenty fifteen one and didn't make it to this latest iteration. So you are our Fantastic Four correspondent. Is the third time the charm.
Speaker 1: It is I mean, I mean it's not great. I don't know if there's any way you can actually make great super hero cinema in within the Marvel Studios realm right now, Uh, this far into the collective cultural fatigue. We maybe we might I'll say might might be feeling as a populace. But this one's good and it has some of that conspicuously lighter spirit of let's say, the first ant Man film with Paul Rudd. Uh that that that to me felt like a relief when it came, because it was it wasn't It wasn't about yet another apocalyptic sort of universe crushing scenario. Is more just about like regional trouble, you know, with the ant Man fighting the forces of darkness. All.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 1: I like that film, and I like this one too. It's uh, it's the first film in a while I've seen from Marvel Studios in a quite a while that actually gives you some images to remember rather than just sort of a general wash of fan service. I mean, it's actually really sharply production design for once. It's not it doesn't it's not production design that gets completely smothered by every other visual element, you know, the via, the visual compiled, the digital compositing, the green screen stuff, all that. It actually is a really tasty look at Manhattan the sixties. If in an alternate universe, if the designers of Tomorrow Land redid Manhattan so that there's an awful lot of skyscrapers that don't really exist on the never did exist on the skyline. But you know, so you know, alongside this Chrysler building and the pan Am building, uh, you know, you get you get these kind of wonderful wonderful you know, what if, what if? The what if? You know, the jet Age, space Age. It's great, and there's kind of it's a movie that really trusts, maybe maybe to to a fault, the hangout factor. The audience might feel like, I don't mind hanging out with these four Fantastic four as they sort of struggle through through various issues about it's increasingly serious about like, okay, you know, are we really going to deal with this ethical dilemma of doing what the nemesis in this story is asking, which involves a new family member, and it's a big issue. I don't want to spoil it, but I did sense that people were relaxing into enjoying it more than I've maybe experienced in a lot of marvels lately. Pedro Pascal's good. I think he's kind of It's the first performance I've seen it. It didn't seem surprising in any way it's a very steady, methodical performance. He's a very serious character. But it's Vanessa Kirby that really kind of takes off a little bit in this one. And you know, not great, but good, solidly good. And you know, I'm you know, I'm a Superman, which I also I know I like Superman more than you did. You didn't like it at all, but I think we hated the same things about it, the fact that it had that sort of crushing, punishing, sort of like jokey sadism running through it, and that's James Gunn at his worst. But I did like a lot of the other bits of Superman that maybe most people wouldn't go to a movie four like in fact, like the fact that there's a really interesting argument between Lois Lane and Clark Kent at the beginning of the picture that's all about like how do we sell how do we solve our relationship issues? And that scene is not a joke, and it actually is like it's buying in, you know, buying into the and and there's there's some of that, there's some of that even Superman very up and down film and kind of neurotically uneven and fantastic four is much more confident and sort of just a gratifying, pretty good picture all the way through. And look, I didn't you know these days. I'll take it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Superman, I'll admit part of the reason, but I'm still recovering part of the reason I didn't make it to Fantastic for But with your recommendation, and you know, people being relatively high on thunderbolts, I might maybe I'm getting nudged, nudged back into the MCU here my Well, we'll see what happens. Fantastic four First Steps is currently playing in wide release. If you see it and agree or disagree with Michael's take, let us know feedback at filmspotting dot net.
Speaker 7: What Hi, Okay, No, I gotta get to Colorado.
Speaker 5: I gotta drop myself off the lake and then you're gonna have your band back.
Speaker 4: I'm not letting some birthday clown take me to Colorado.
Speaker 1: A birthday clown.
Speaker 3: This is my vehicle.
Speaker 1: I need you to stop driving in Oh.
Speaker 4: That's from the trailer for Sunlight from writer, director, and star Nina Kanti. Kanti plays Jane, and she's not, as she states, a birthday clown, but she is dressed in a full body monkey costume, which yeah, she wears for most of the movies runtime. Michael, you know, I'm fascinated with manimals. We did up Top five manimals together years ago, one of you know, clearly the best top fives in the show's history. I don't know if I'd actually go a manimal direction here with Sunlight. It's not why I am nominating it for our Golden Brick Award. Let me just put it that way, But I do want to throw Sunlight into the ring for a Golden Brick because, boy, we talk about, you know, looking for movies to consider for this award having original vision and taking bold strokes. Yeah, how about a movie by a ventriloquist comedian of sorts who is writing it, co writing it, directing and starring in a monkey costume. Just the fact that this works, Michael, that this isn't an abject disaster, I think is worth admiring. And it is much better than that. This film really worked for me. Uh, and it is all about to my mind, Contie's performance in some ways, you can tell it's a first film, and you know, maybe gets a little too easily cheery at the end. But this performance she gives as Jane, the woman behind the mask is it's alarmingly entertaining and works on a number of levels. The idea here Jane is basically fleeing an abusive relationship, and you sense that past in the physicality of the performance and in the way that Monkey she calls herself. Monkey is assertive, crude, and irrationally confident in the ways that Jane can't otherwise be. She also speaks I think what's supposed to be a vaguely British accent, which is very funny. But most of the humor comes down to that physicality. There are details like, you know, Jane just resting her head on the dashboard of this vehicle. She falls in with a man who's actually co wrote the film. It's the co star here, Shanoah Allen. He's playing a radio personality who's on the road and she falls in with him and she's in his motor home. And when she just lays her head on the dashboard, there's something melancholy funny about this mask doing it, and the mask in general works. It has dead eyes and whenever she looks at the camera, it's almost like a Rorschack test for the audience, for the viewer trying to read what she might be thinking of what we're thinking about her. But then comedy too. You know, she keeps her flip phone in the monkey suit, so she has to zip it down to get her phone out. When she gets hot, she dumps some ice in the suit, and then there's pathos as well, as we realize how severe the personality split between Jane and Monkey has become, how it's escalating and becoming something that's actually concerning. So this is it's a cringe free ventriloquism movie that made me genuinely laugh and I found moving, and that is a rare accomplishment that, yeah, I think does make it worthy of a golden bricknut.
Speaker 1: I know two people who would have jolly will agree with you, and I really wish I'd seen some time to talk about it. But my brother and his wife, my brother and sister in law, saw this. They live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The film was filmed in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and enquirens And so I think I think it's that second filmmaker you mentioned came and introduced it in this tiny, little, wonderful little art house theater that Albuquerque is sustaining quite nicely. And they loved it. They thought exactly the same. I mean, they laughed a lot. They couldn't believe that the premise didn't dry out after fifteen minutes, and by the end they were quite quite touched by it. So it's, you know, it's what you're describing sounds. Remember that film Frank with Michael Fassbender and Domin All, which was quite good, quite good, right, And it's that whole thing about sort of like you know, a bit about sort of like cloaking your identity but you know behind some crazy mask of you know, an artificial front, right and yet finding a weird sort of freedom minute. And you know, this is a simple idea, but it's a workable one. But I you know, your recommendation on top of brother and sister and my sister law, I'm going to check it out good.
Speaker 4: I'm glad it's getting some good word of mouth.
Speaker 3: That was probably Yeah.
Speaker 4: Who I mentioned Shanoah Allen Kanti's creative partner you know offscreen as well in other pursuits, but did co write Sunlight with her and also co stars in the film. So Sunlight had a limited theatrical run this month, but it is available now on streaming services. Just came out this week, so if it sounds intriguing to you, check it out. And as far as the Golden Brick goes, we have a healthy list of nominees at this point. If you want to see other titles on there, go to Film spotting dot net slash Bricks. Next week, Adam is going to be back and we have a big task ahead of us. We are going to indulge in a Pantheon Project review of nineteen seventy five's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It is the film's fiftieth anniversary. It's been quite some time since I've seen it, so we'll dig deep into that one, and we're gonna pair it with our top five Jack Nicholson performances. Michael springing this a little bit on you. I know I had mentioned we were going to talk Joaquin Phoenix performances on this show, but just top of your head, do you have a go to favorite Nicholson performance or maybe a less praised one that I should try to catch up with as homework that you don't think folks talk about enough.
Speaker 1: Gosh, yeah, thanks for the thanks for the warning on that, Josh.
Speaker 4: You usually just go with the favorite, Just go with the favorite, take the easy way out.
Speaker 1: Usually I devote a spa month to working these things out privately.
Speaker 4: But oh, as do I mean, that's our process.
Speaker 1: I really It was seventy four, I think, or seventy three when I saw the last detail. Seventy four I think Robert Towns script. Yes, that was you know, that was especially bracing to see your first as a probably too young I saw a lot of our rated movies that year. That's kind of when it all started for me. But that was Nicholson. Nobody considered him anything anything predictable or familiar at that point. He was an established, you know, presence for sure, but that he's great in the last detail, and he just drives the movies excellent, I think, in a smaller role that I think I saw. I saw the film like it, don't love it, Reds saw it recently again from is That eighty one? I think from Warren Baties film about John Reid and you know Dyan Keto, and Nicholson plays Eugene O'Neill and he loses almost all of what you might call the nicholsonisms in this This very the stern and very careful performance, full of charisma. He's really a great, a great addition to that on. So yeah, those two, those two, all right.
Speaker 4: Last detail is homework that I recently did and it was quite amazing. I'm comparing it to my experience with Gene Hackman and al Pacino and Scarecrow when we did our top five Hackman scenes. I caught up with Scarecrow for the first time and you know, just felt horrible for taking so long. Similarly with the last detail, it paid off and very likely will a Nicholson scene from the last detail show up on my list. So that is coming up next week. If you want to see our schedule of all our future shows, you can check that out at filmspotting dot net slash episodes. Michael, you know, I've been doing Ebert Interrupt thiss out in Boulder, Colorado at the Conference on World Affairs for a number of years now, and yeah, brought it a version of it, Cinema interruptis to Chicago last December, and am doing it again just next month at the Gene Sisco Film Center. Have you I don't think you I've ever had a chance to see Roger do interrupt this at Boulder, to do.
Speaker 1: All those, Yeah, I'd love to do one a year or sometime.
Speaker 4: That would be great. That would be great. I hope to do many more. But yeah, one of my great regrets is not getting out to Boulder to do that when Rodribert was doing it. But yeah, an honor to be able to continue the tradition and have a version of it here in Chicago. So, as I mentioned, it's going to be August eleven through fourteen, and we are diving deep into nineteen ninety Two's the Player. It's part of the Film Center's Altman Centennial series Interrupt This is four days of communal film criticism. That's how I've been describing it to people. We basically will watch The Player in its entirety on day one and then come back started at the beginning, and for subsequent days make our way through it scene by scene, and folks can yell, stop, ask a question, make a comment at any time. So it's possible to come for all four days. Buy a ticket package for that, that would be awesome. Make it a journey, make it a team effort, join me on that. But if you can only pop in for one day. Single day tickets are also available. You can get either of those at Cisclfilmcenter dot org. Slash Interruptis.
Speaker 1: Can I ask how it went with Phantom Thread?
Speaker 4: Oh, just as you can imagine a perfect movie for Interruptis where you can dive deep in every aspect, the cinematography, that wonderful score, and the performances, but also that relationship between Alma and Reynolds, which you know, four days debating that with folks, and I don't think we're any closer to understanding the true nature of that relationship.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Phantom Thread. Fantom Thread was perfect.
Speaker 4: The Player a little different in terms of what we'll be dissecting, but I know those those Altman zooms. I'm going to spend some time on all the movie references that are in there. I'm going to show some bonus material from some of the films, the posters that are in the background. So I think the Player will be a different interrupt Us experience than Phantom Thread, but an equally rewarded one.
Speaker 3: So it's great to do that in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Again, if anyone wants tickets, go to Ciscofilmcenter dot org. Slash interrupt us This week on our sister podcast, The Next Picture Show, looking at cinema's present via its past. They've got a new pairing and it's more Superman talk.
Speaker 3: So yes, listeners.
Speaker 4: If you were disappointed at my take and Adam's take, we were both pretty down on James Gunns Superman and Michael's previous relative endorsement of it. If you want more, perhaps you'll find support from the Next Picture Show. They're going to be talking about the new Superman in relation to the nineteen seventy eight Richard Donner Superman.
Speaker 3: Now that's a film.
Speaker 4: We did our top five Superman moments Michael on last week's show and gave the seventy eight Superman a lot of love, trying to make up for not loving the twenty twenty five. Now it's the Next Picture Show, folks turn to I've Into Superman. New episodes drop every Tuesday. You can get them wherever you get your podcasts. And for more Next Picture Show related content, listen to Keith Phipps new podcast, The Laser Age. Keith, of course, one of the Next Picture Show hosts. Yeah, I've listened to Keith's first episode, enjoyed it. Quite a bit. This series is exploring science fiction films from the second half of the twentieth century. Again, you can find that wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 12: Sixty years of Whistler Black Home, two legendary mountains, thousands of stories, ski and ride, legendary terrain and experienced world class snowsport events, concerts at the edge of the mountain, gravity defining fire and ice shows and more. This winter, go beyond plan your trip to Whistler Blackhome.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, haven't I seen you before?
Speaker 5: I know your face?
Speaker 4: Get out till I call my servant.
Speaker 11: You know, I'm a Desmond.
Speaker 8: Used to be in silent pictures, used to be big.
Speaker 1: I am big.
Speaker 6: It's the pictures that got no.
Speaker 4: It is time for another deeply flawed film spotting pole question that was who else? Glorious Swanson with William Holden and Billy Wilder's Sunset Boulevard. Sunset Boulevard is another film that will be getting the Pantheon Project treatment in a couple of weeks. We've been doing a lot of Wilder this summer. We just revisited The Apartment a few shows ago, thinking about these two Wilder films. Michael, I'm gonna. I'm gonna ask you a very tough question, or maybe it's very easy for you. You can only pick one. You can only have one, The Apartment or Sunset Boulevard.
Speaker 1: What is this July madness? I don't want to do that kind of up stupid, stupid.
Speaker 4: You only participate in such things during film spotting madness, and even then it's more bigrudgingly than I do. So I guess you.
Speaker 3: I guess you're just not gonna answer, are you?
Speaker 1: No? I will, I will? I think. I think Sunset Boulevard is the greater film. But I I really love The Apartment, and I love how The Apartment feels to a new generation seeking some sort of bittersweet romantic comedy that isn't all just a bunch of fall de all, you know, a romantic comedy that really earns, you know, both the laughs and sort of the pathos. People. There's a new generation. Every twenty minutes, there's a new twenty two or twenty nine year old or fifteen year old that discovers The Apartment and they, maybe forever, maybe just for that year, it is their new favorite film. And I love that. So it's a tie. Josh, Sorry, Oh it's a tie.
Speaker 4: Oh, I see that's not allowed. You will be getting a letter from our attorney. But I can't attest to your experience because for this conversation we had this rewatch. Both my daughters really enjoyed the apartment as well. And maybe it's recency by but I am going to make a pick, and I'm going to go with the apartment. Nevertheless, I am excited about revisiting Sunset Boulevard. Maybe I'll change my answer, and that is the film that is inspiring our new poll question. Actresses plain actresses who are going through it. So that is producer Sam way of limiting this poll to performances that share. You know, they have some anks to them, so he didn't want to He didn't want to include comedies or musicals. He didn't want to include apparently Dustin Hoffman as Tutsie. So it's actresses, plain actresses who are going through it. Michael, I believe you have the options, the pole options there in front of you. Would you mind reading through those for us?
Speaker 1: I'd be honored. Josh Betty Davis, all about Eve Jenner, Rowlands, Opening Night, Glorius Wanson, Sunset Boulevard Juliet Binoche, The Clouds of Sils Maria Laura dern Inland Empire Good Choice, Naomi Watts, Maul Holland Drive List, Natalie Portman May December, Scarlett Johansson Asteroid City. That's a good list or other And I'd love to hear if somebody come up with a good There's others in that category, but that's a great list.
Speaker 4: It has your approval. Will it get a vote from you? Do you have an obvious choice? I'll say while you're thinking. For me, I think I'm gonna have to go with Genner Rowlands. I know a woman under the Influence is the broadly acclaimed consensus choice for her career performance, but man, is she incredible in Opening Night? So I think that's where I would go. How about you, Michael Boy.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that for decades, so I'd have to see it again to kind of see where it falls on the list for any But you know, I guess if I'd had to go, if I had to go for nineteen fifty's, it's either all about ev or Sunset Boulevard. I mean, I'd probably go Betty Davis actually, uh, and I'd probably go for more more modern. I'd probably go Nailmi watch because I just you know, I think that you know that that what she has to do in Mulholland Drive is make sense of two very different psychees and it's, uh, it's great work. So yeah, that's very a fruitful, A fruitful list Sam, Sam, Yeah.
Speaker 4: A fruitful less okay, And and yet you're still trying to square them out of it. I see, Okay, that's fine. I am listeners who can vote, who can just choose, who could just choose one who could be disciplined. You can do that, and you can also leave a comment at film spotting dot net. We're going to share results and some feedback in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: I am so sorry.
Speaker 12: From what your daddy passed down to you, but I wanted a child the greatest gift of my life.
Speaker 2: I'm visiting my.
Speaker 4: That's Joaquin Phoenix and bo Is Afraid from director Ari Astor back in twenty twenty three. Adam and I use the occasion of bo to share our top five Phoenix performances, with Phoenix reuniting with Astor again in Eddington. We are reuniting you, the listener, with this top five But before we get to that, Michael, since you're here, only natural to ask if there are any favorite Joaquin Phoenix performances you'd like to talk about.
Speaker 1: MM. Yeah, yeah, there's a few. There's Yeah, I guess I like the ones for me, the ones that require to him a different side than than the more obvious sort of strangulated torment, you know, the one, the stuff that wins oscars, you know, vis A v. Joker. Let's say, I actually really like this. It's super solid work and walk the line, and he turned out to be a very good choice for that Johnny biopic. I think The Master is really inventive work that daringly starts on such an extreme note of distress with that character Freddie Quell, that the movie can barely recover from it, but somehow it does. And so it is Phoenix. I really love his work with Spike Jones on Her, which I am due for a rewatch, but I haven't seen it since it came on, I think all the way through. But another one I'd utterly forgotten, and this is the other one i'd mentioned. Another one I'd almost forgot is Lynn Ramsey's You Were Never Really Here Where that's much more of a I mean, that's an explosively violent picture, and I had you know, it's only since twenty seventeenths only been eight years since I've seen it, but I you know, I don't retain much of a clear memory of it, but rereading it, his work is really good in that and I just think he is. One of the best things about Phoenix is he really seeks out and responds to a variety of directors that he may lock horns with half the time. I don't know. I suspect he does, but that's what's keeping him reasonably more than reasonably, that's what's keeping him vital and worth seeing what he's up to next. The one thing he can't do, Josh, you want to hear it. The one thing that I think will never get from Watkin Phoenix, the one thing he doesn't have. And no actor has everything or can do everything or anything. He doesn't have great verbal facility. I think he knows how to use his voice beautifully in a lot of different keys and for different kind of shades of character. But when you see something like Inherent Weiss, which is all about that, that's what I was thinking to play. Yeah, he's not a guy who can spin out a lot of crazy gobblybook crisply. You know, he doesn't have that. It's just it's something. It's just part of its just the physical equipment you're born with. Part of it is the training you either have or have don't have as a screen actor. It's the one thing he's you know, it's it's the one thing in almost every kind of film he's done. He's done almost every genre where if he has to do that where he has to really propulsively zip through a scene, and it's a lot about just how fast you can handle the language and sling it, you know, in another character's direction. He's not the guy. And that's an interesting interesting I wouldn't call it a drawback, but because you know, he is just like every other really good actor on the planet. He cannot do everything equally well. But those are those are some of the ones I think very fondly of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, can I pay you a licensing fee or something and use the phrase strangulated torment to describe Phoenix going forward? Because I think that's just perfect that that is what he specializes in, especially in something like The Master, and it's just so so good at evoking that sort of experience. Look at your fee structure, Michael, and get back to me, because I do want to I do want to use that phrase at some point. Now, speaking of her, which you called out as listeners will hear, that was a performance that we excluded from our top five list, Michael, And that's where Phoenix played Theodore of course and Spike Jones is her. The reason we did that is because we had devoted a bonus episode to that film for its tenth anniversary, which I think was right around the time we did this top five list, So there was a lot of talk about Phoenix's performance in her on that bonus episode. We did repost that her review in our main podcast feed this week, so you can find that wherever you get your podcasts. And you know, if you want to make sure you always get our monthly bonus episodes, just join the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com. All right now, from April twenty twenty three, here are our top five Joaquin Phoenix performances.
Speaker 7: We are ready to dive into this top five look at our favorite performances by someone who is one of the best actors, if not the best actors working today. We do have one disclaimer. We're setting aside one film that would have definitely made both of our lists, one performance by Joaquin Phoenix. And that's not because it's been talked about a lot over the course of the show's history. It's actually because we're going to be talking about it coming up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have our next bonus show for film Spotting family members focusing on Her, the ten year old. It's the tenth anniversary of Spike Jones's Her Believe it or Not, so that was one reason we wanted to revisit it. Also considering Joaquin Phoenix for this top five, and with bo as Afraid, we thought it'd be another good chance to take a look at her. And of course we're living right now, not only in the Age of Ai but Chet GPT, so that plot is going to have a lot of resonance for us, I think, and we will be spent a fair amount of time talking about Phoenix's performance in Her, So we are setting that aside, putting it in the penalty box for this list. Officially, though I think we can say, Adam, it would be on both of our last.
Speaker 7: Otherword, yes, one of his best performances as Theodore in her without a doubt. Let's get into our list, though, I can't wait to hear what you've got at number five.
Speaker 4: All right, I am going sort of back to the beginning with Jimmy Emmett from To Die For Now. Phoenix had been in a number of pictures before, so this isn't exactly his first or second role even, but it was his breakout Gus Vinceyan's nineteen ninety five satire about fame and celebrity. Phoenix's Jimmy is one of the high schoolers who falls under the spell of Nicole Kidman's aspiring TV reporter. She seduces him, manipulates him into killing her husband.
Speaker 2: Didn't you just get a divorce and then you get the conte and he get the car.
Speaker 9: Quality from me?
Speaker 2: Listen, I really think I'm just a kid, But.
Speaker 8: I can never do anything bad to you or I ever hurt you. A guy that does that to someone like you doesn't deserve to live.
Speaker 1: That's the cheesy.
Speaker 8: Doesn't deserve to live.
Speaker 9: No, I suppose you're right he doesn't.
Speaker 4: What's interesting to me about this performance, especially looking through the lens of the rest of Phoenix's career, is that right from the start, he had no interest in audience sympathy, did not seem like something that he cared about was on his radar at all, Yet he nevertheless gets it somehow. In this character, we do have a bit of sympathy for Jimmy Emmett, even though he's a messy kid making bad decisions. Phoenix brings that out in us while being completely committed to those more negative.
Speaker 3: Aspects of the character.
Speaker 4: I did turn to social media to help me make some of these other Phoenix performance picks, just to see beyond her, you know, and some of the other obvious ones, what people's favorites were. And I got a few interesting responses. When it came to Jimmy Emmett here a few people who also picked it. Adam Rupert touched on this audience sympathy quality on Facebook said that scene where he's shaking so bad while being questioned by the police heartbreaking, and then over on Twitter, Marissa Jude, she's at Marissa Jude here said, Phoenix reminded me of Juliet Lewis's performance in Cape Fear. The exquisite and nuanced expression of vulnerability and desire that seems unteachable well said by both. I love that comparison to Juliet lewis also one of those just deeply uncomfortable, unsettling breakout performances from a younger performer, and I think it does apply to what Phoenix is doing here as Jimmy Emma in to.
Speaker 7: Die for an honorable mention for me one that was a strong contender for my top five, And you're right, the performance that surely put him on the map for a lot of viewers put him on the map for me.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: I had seen him first as Leaf Phoenix, then in Space Camp in the mid eighties, but I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention then to him as someone who I thought would be one of the best actors of his generation. But you're correct, and the listener is correct that he plays a character who shouldn't be heartbreaking, but is. He's a killer, and we have to buy that he's going to make the leap he does. As a character, he's naive, certainly, he's malleable, he's gullible in that way, but he doesn't seem overly dangerous. And for him then to get to that point where he is going to murder Matt Dillon's character. We have to buy that, and we by it because Phoenix makes him damaged enough that you can go there as quickly as you do with him. But then he also plays him as an innocent, so that he just becomes part of this tragic, manipulative web of Kidman's character. He's another victim in at all.
Speaker 4: I wonder if damaged is going to come up quite a bit on our lists. That word, that's a good one, that fits absolutely.
Speaker 7: My number five Walking Phoenix performance is the performance that earned him the first of his four Academy Award nominations.
Speaker 3: He did not win.
Speaker 7: We know he won for a performance that might come up later on one of our lists, Josh. This was his Best Supporting Actor nominated turn as comedists in Ridley Scott's Gladiator, and I googled this just Gladiator Comedists earlier today to get a little bit of background on the real life person that he was portraying. Not that it matters, but I was curious because I hadn't read anything, and this is the first thing that popped. Commodist was a terrible ruler by virtually any standard. His fictionalized depiction as a mad emperor in the film Gladiator actually plays down some of his less believable excesses while giving him a nobler death. So just keep that in mind, Josh, that that sniveling, conniving, evil little baby that Joaque in Phoenix plays is actually exhibiting some restraint.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's underplaying at apparently right underplaying it.
Speaker 7: We joke. I do genuinely enjoy the theatricality of their performance. I think it's a nice counter to the untheatricality of Russell Crowe's performance. We get one great moment I always see in my head where comedist is watching a battle and there's a big blood spurt and he lets out this lusty response with his tongue hanging out and he's kind of grinning his teeth and growling at the response. But in general, that character, the way Phoenix portrays him, is anksier than Robert Pattinson in The Batman and Adam Driver in any of those Star Wars movies combined. He is so quiet and deliberate, it's as if it's wrenching him to even speak. It pains him so much. And he's a weak character. He's more than that. He's evil. But Phoenix really does give him some dimension. We see the emotional havoc. It reeks on him to be weak, to not live up to his father's image or to his father's expectations, and Phoenix amplifies, I think, his self awareness.
Speaker 8: Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your.
Speaker 3: Son, Cominos, you go too far.
Speaker 2: The faces off the god waste. Please you can make you proud.
Speaker 8: Kind what one fullock?
Speaker 7: You will just help me, Phoenix with Richard Harris there as Marcus Aurelius, one full hug. Josh pressed me to your chest and held me tight. That's that's all he's longed for. I guarantee you that Russell Crowe's Maximus is never saying the word hug in a Gladiator, and we don't expect any characters to say the word hug in a lot of Gladiator type movies. But when he says, all I've ever wanted was to live up to you, Caesar, father, you believe him, You really believe the emotional depth of that.
Speaker 4: I have not seen Gladiator since it came out when I liked it well enough, But it's interesting, you know how careers have gone in terms of the stars and so forth. The reason I would rewatch Gladiator now is to reconsider that woking Phoenix performance, just how his career has ascended, Russell Crows, Russell Crows has tailed off, and you wouldn't think that. Yeah, I'm gonna go look at Gladiator again for the acting necessarily, but that is what still intrigues me, and maybe I'll have to do a revisit for that, all right. Number four for me is Merril hess in signs. This is Phoenix in likable mode in m Night Shyamalan's Alien Invasion thriller. Likable mode is something he can do and does on occasion. Not very often, however, but it's kind of fun and rewarding when he pulls it out of his tool kit. I also like here how he effortlessly slips into what is essentially an ensemble piece. I mean, Mel Gibson is the lead, of course, but this is an ensemble drama in a lot of ways, and Phoenix comes in to do things you might not expect, to lighten the mood, lighten the movie's edges a little bit. He just has a wonderfully light comic touch, and I think it's probably best displayed when he gives the response to Mel Gibson and his long soliloquy about miracles or coincidences. This is an occasion of Shyamalan, I think, also kind of undercutting himself and being aware of his grund eloquent tendencies with this soliloquy here. But then in comes Phoenix. Merrill has given this whole speech some you know, probably not so deep thought, and he decides he's a miracle man who was at this party.
Speaker 8: Once I'm on my couch with the random McKinney. She's just sitting there looking beautiful, staring at me. I go to leave him and kiss her. Realize I've got side. Turn do you have the gum stuff in the paper? Come next to the sofa and turn around. Random McKinney throws up all over herself. I knew this a cand it happened. It was a miracle. I could have been kissing her when she threw up. Now I want to scar me for life.
Speaker 4: Meryl is the sort of part that this movie, you know, signs didn't really need Meryl necessarily, but because of Phoenix's performance now when I think about it, I can't imagine the film without him, you know, just because of the contributions he makes and again the different vibes he brings to this film. Another fan of this performance is Aaron Bergstrom over on Twitter at Aaron Bergstrom. He wrote, Phoenix is so often associated with playing weirdos, often dangerous ones. So when I look back at his performance as a well meaning fella like Meryl, I appreciate how good he is at depicting loyalty and bravery. So yeah, maybe a simpler character than some of the others he plays, but he plays it just right.
Speaker 7: He does very good in that scene, very good in that film. Interesting that we've got back to back choices in which we hear Joaquin Phoenix whispering primarily very very quietly different circumstances, and Merrill not exactly an evil character. My number four, I've got another weirdo, definitely one of Woking Phoenix's weirdos. And you were talking about him in terms of whether he plays characters who are likable or unlikable. This is one who I don't even know where to put him on that scale. And it's not because he's got things about him that make him someone that you really respond to favorably and even aspire to be like. That's not the case at all. But he also isn't so bad that you despise him ever, either.
Speaker 3: He's just an.
Speaker 7: Immensely flawed character. And that character is Leonard Creditor in James Gray's Two Lovers. So multiple collaborations with James Gray. I'm going with his performance as Leonard in Two Lovers. What a trip down memory lane. It was Josh reminding myself about this film, this performance, and the context around it. I had completely forgotten that Two Lovers, the movie and this performance were totally overshadowed at the time by the Shenanigans surrounding the filming of I'm Still Here, which would come out two years later, or actually just a little over a year later. In terms of when we reviewed this film Two Lovers on the show was February twenty seventh, two thousand and nine. That infamous David Letterman appearance was February eleventh, two thousand and nine, so this was all in the wake of that, and people were really watching Two Lovers thinking it was Woquin Phoenix's swan song from acting. It was supposedly his final performance as an actor because he was retiring to become a rapper, and with all of that, he had apparently completely lost his mind.
Speaker 10: So here's my hope that after some time off and I think you're taking a little time off tonight.
Speaker 3: I I'm hopeful that you will.
Speaker 10: Reconsider and and come back to acting because you're just you know, there's nobody really better than you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still like.
Speaker 13: I say never, right, I don't I don't know, I don't know what, I don't know if, I don't know what will happen.
Speaker 1: But you you are You're not gonna act anymore? No, huh?
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 1: Mmm?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean you have given up some thought.
Speaker 3: This will come up some more.
Speaker 7: But going through my notes, it was amazing because I look back on these different films that have been reviewed on the show, how many times I'd use synonyms to describe his characters and movies. In this case, it was talking about a character who was always kind of floating through these scenes, disconnected from everything that the movie itself has an ethereal quality to it. It's basically a fable. You could apply similar words and phrases to Bo's Afraid or to some of these other performances that we'll probably talk about for those who don't remember. Two lovers. It's pretty much what the name suggests. It's a movie about a love triangle. Leonard is involved with two different women. One who really wants to take care of him and wants to love him, and he's too neurotic to let her do it. That's Vanessa Shaw's character. And then there's another woman who he wants to take care of and she's the one with the issues in allowing him to do that. That's Gwyneth Paltrow's character. But there's a melancholy to Leonard that makes him endearing or certainly endearing enough. And there's an intimacy that Gray captures with Phoenix and these women that is really striking in the way Phoenix can often be intimate on screen and also make you a little bit uncomfortable at the same time, there's an intensity to these intimate scenes that can be both off putting and something that also brings you in. And what really stands out about Phoenix in this role, but again, I'm sure many others we might get to. He's someone who's utterly uninterested in vanity. He has no interest in being cool on screen, and Leonard is not cool, and he also has no interest in being conventionally masculine, which is also one of the things that I think really does define Phoenix as a fascinating performer. He's volatile, but the softer and the more vulnerable he is on screen, the more interesting he is. And that's certainly the case here with Leonard in Two Lovers.
Speaker 13: If I got to know you that I wouldn't love you, But I do know you, and I love you a little more.
Speaker 2: I understand you, Michelle. I'm up too.
Speaker 6: I'll never walk with from you.
Speaker 2: I left, I never do.
Speaker 3: I take you well.
Speaker 4: You went with the one Waquin Phoenix James Gray collaboration I have not seen, but I've liked the other two, so I'm going to assume you're right in this pick. Adam I especially like him in The Yards. I can still picture kind of his devilish face in that one. So yeah, these two have been really strong collaborators. My number three pick is with another filmmaker he has worked with twice now, and that would be Paul Thomas Anderson. Here at number three, I have Larry Dox Bortello from Inherent Vice. We've touched on a little bit his comedic abilities, and I think this is the movie of all of his that I've seen that puts them on display the most. This adaptation of Thomas Pinchon's comic Gumshoe novel. It's set against the druggy beach scene of nineteen seventy California. Doc Sportello is this hazy private detective just ekeing out a living of sorts in a beach shack just a few blocks from the ocean, and as happens in these sort of tales, he gets caught up in a rabbit hole of an investigation. Phoenix has so much fun with the curly qu noir dialogue here and the chance to play really this adult fool who's sometimes smarter than he's presenting himself and a lot of times not or or let's just say not in complete control of his faculties. And just watching Phoenix have fun with that is such a blast. So many of the laughs come from observing Doc trying to focus in the midst of these increasingly ridiculous conversations with all sorts of characters, and this includes Josh Brolin's Lieutenant Detective Bigfoot Bjornson, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Big and smashed on my door, kwawn.
Speaker 11: After a long and busy day of civil rights violations. I found myself in the neighborhood and compelled to drop in just to check and see the current state of affairs. Mild stomping grounds, seeing as your effort to keep lines of communication had been limited.
Speaker 8: To say the least.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've been busy.
Speaker 11: I'm trying to figure out which side of the zigzag paper is the sticky sign.
Speaker 4: This is not just a comedic performance, though a few listeners mentioned when they made this pick some of the other qualities that appealed to them about the performance. Andrew Bodenbach on Facebook said, He's hilarious and ridiculous, but what really hits is how compassionate he is.
Speaker 3: He really cares about people.
Speaker 4: I think you do feel that. And here's from Jeremy S. Wade at American Weight on Twitter. You just really want that poor son of a bitch to get a win. And this kind of speaks, I think, more to the you come around to his character's side so often, despite all evidence to the contrary, that that's where you should be, and there's a little bit of that element here in Dox Bartello as well. It's also fun to think about this being the performance. Going back to the idea of collaborations, this being the performance and the character that he and Paul Thomas Anderson wanted to explore together after working on The Master. So interesting choice. I don't want to get ahead of myself, so I'll leave that there.
Speaker 7: And I don't want to get ahead of myself either, Josh, so I will also leave Larry Knox Bortello right there and go to my number three walking Phoenix performance, a performance in a film that no one will apply the words fun to or blast to, like you just did with Inherent Vice.
Speaker 3: But one connection.
Speaker 7: You've got Phoenix in your number three, chasing down a missing girl in a complex conspiracy, and so do I. But Joe from Lynn Ramsey's twenty seventeen film You Were Never Really Here is definitely not the teddy bear, the compassionate teddy bear that Doc Sportello is. And Joe suffers from something that Doc doesn't, which is severe trauma. So you've got a character who is all about repression and is all about withholding other than the blunt acts of violence that he carries out. He's not demonstrative, he's certainly not vocal. He barely speaks. This has to be the fewest lines the Phoenix has in any one of his performances. He's a big physical presence, like with bo Is Afraid. He put on weight for this role, and he certainly carries it. It's it's not a weight that manifests itself, certainly in muscle or as if he's been hitting the gym a lot. He is someone who carries a big burden and needs a big frame to do it. And yet somehow Phoenix may makes him feel like a ghost, like he's incapable of leaving a footprint. He's just moving through the world, almost invisible to everyone around him. A line that has always stuck with me from that film is when a character says, and if I remember the context right, they're not using it negatively. I think they may need his skills. They say, I hear you're brutal, and Phoenix says, I can be. And something about the kind of flat delivery of that the succinct screen writing there just having him say I can be. It's a case where Phoenix in the performance could indicate in that line reading or with some kind of physicality or something on his face before during after he says it. He could indicate that well he's not really a monster. He doesn't want to be brutal, but sometimes he has to be. And again, he's not someone who's interested in being cool on screen. He's not someone who's interested, it would seem, in indicating those things.
Speaker 3: To the audience.
Speaker 7: He's he's willing to play Joe for exactly who he is and his future actions, his choices will determine what we ultimately think of him. How many Josh Killer Seeks Redemption movies have we seen? I don't know if we've done that top five before. We probably have, like Assassins with a Heart of Gold or something. It's a well worn convention at this point, and Phoenix gives any beat that might feel familiar a completely different spin.
Speaker 13: Gets your name, Scott, mister Rogers that I'm to ask you some questions. Please be inlest with me, HI security. How many are there? Huh so one more than one?
Speaker 1: Two?
Speaker 8: Two?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 5: Where?
Speaker 8: Oh god sez the front door?
Speaker 1: Second guy on the top floor?
Speaker 8: Where's the playgrounds? Thinking that these girls, therefore.
Speaker 7: He makes this character Joe a truly enigmatic one, and that he makes some choices sometimes that are confusing or bewildering or troubling or upsetting, but you don't ever actually question him as a man. And I think that's where the term damaged. We'll come back into play here at least one more time as a damaged man.
Speaker 4: That's the word that pops up here. I'm just pulling up my review and I liked it a little less than you, but did appreciate how the filmmaking aligned itself with Phoenix's performance and the character's headspace right when Ramsey using just a lot of impressionistic imagery, and I think of that the haunting sound design as well.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I wrote how this is all.
Speaker 4: Geared toward evoking Joe's deranged, damaged point of view.
Speaker 1: So there it is.
Speaker 7: We do have two more a reminder we set her and Theodore aside, although we both love those performances. We're going to talk about that movie coming up soon in some bonus content for film spotting family members.
Speaker 3: What do you have at number two? This might be where you want to go get some more popcorn and something to drink. Maybe look for a.
Speaker 4: Lid, an elusive lid, because it's Arthur Fleck in joker. I do think that Phoenix has a talent above all for miserableness, and to me, this is one of his most fascinating ones. Arthur Fleck the movie itself, we don't need to re litigate it. I know I'm one of the few people who take it seriously. I'll say I still feel okay about that. A couple of years on. I think we've only seen more disgruntled individuals lashing out at society that hasn't lightened up in recent years. So I think this movie resonates in that way. And I also think that that is what connects with Phoenix's performance. Arthur Fleck is both a symptom and a symbol of societal breakdown in Joker, and that is something that Phoenix communicates through a performance of operatic physicality.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I like the movie.
Speaker 4: There's a lot there, but for me, it's Phoenix who is the centrifugal force, and I am mesmerized by his carefully choreographed but seemingly chaotic clumsiness in this movie. That's also what makes this a somewhat funny performance. I think of him running down the streets or hallways, his limbs all askew. He's not, but he might as well be wearing clown shoes. That's how he runs. I think about him slipping and fumbling with the gun on the subway in that sequence where he's trying to defend himself from his attackers. And then yeah, the dance on those steps. I love so much, the dance and then his comic scrambling away when the cops come interrupt him in undercut. The whole scene, now, as outward is so much of this is Phoenix. This is the thing he does. We've touched on a number of times. He internalizes all of this as well, so you're getting both. He's using physicality to convey and internal brokenness, and we get another man whose wires just seem to be crossed, and in this movie, he's stuck in a society that doesn't care at all to even bother trying to uncross them.
Speaker 5: He just asked the same questions every week, how's your job? Are you having any negative thoughts? All I have are negative thoughts, But you don't listen anyway. I said, for my whole life, I didn't know if I even really existed, But I do, and people are starting to notice.
Speaker 4: I heard from Anton varfort Over on Twitter who said Joker is good. I think there is a vulnerability or maybe even something damaged there. It is to Woking that makes him work especially well in those kind of roles. I don't think the movie was amazing, but it wasn't just a King of Comedy ripoff. So yep, I'm going with Arthur Fleck my number two. I think, you know, technically, if we were including her, I'd probably have it up this high and Joker would be at three. But for now, it's my number two Walking Phoenix performance.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let's just go ahead and keep this positive. I'm not gonna rehash any in my comments about not only the film, but actually it turns out.
Speaker 3: I didn't even really like Walking Phoenix performance, and terrible, terrible.
Speaker 7: To me, especially after preparing for this list, is genuinely unthinkable because I think he can pull off the impossible, and yet Joker was too much for Walking Phoenix. In this case, I've got at number two a performance that you already mentioned. Some crossover here Paul Thomas Anderson Larry Dox Sportello from a Inherent Vice, which contains what is still probably my funniest moment in any Paul Thomas Anderson film, when early in the movie he's talking to Jenna Malone's character at her kitchen table, she's recounting her heroin use and getting pregnant. She shows a picture of little Amethyst, which Phoenix's doc responds to.
Speaker 8: This way, this is.
Speaker 6: What we had her looking like. Everybody helpfully pointed out how the heron was actually coming through my breast milk.
Speaker 7: But m h, now, I don't know that I've seen one used myself in the wild. But not surprisingly, if you search in Hairent Vice scream or Joaquin Phoenix screaming, all the gifts pop up. This is a ready made meme moment, but it's really brilliant acting. I mean Malone, she doesn't flinch at all what he screams like that. She does say I, I don't know if you have the stomach for it before she hands him the photo, so she knows that the picture is horrifying because she was breastfeeding but using heroin at the time, but it's still her baby. And you still expect that Doxportello will react by repressing whatever his instinctual reaction is. You actually think he'll do what he does right after he screams, which is he looks again at the photo, even though he doesn't want to. He looks again at the photo almost like he's he's assessing it, and he says mm hm, and he's very clinical about it, but he can't help it. He's so horrified. He lets out that scream and then it just immediately closes up. And I laugh every time I see it, and I do just love this gumshoe character who's in, as you said, this labyrinthine pinsion world of early seventies LA. In the setup to our review of this film, I described it this way. I said, take the big Lebouse, he's perpetually stone protagonists. Add the anachronistic absurdity and culture clashing of Altmans along Goodbye, Mix in the borderline nonsensical plot machinations of the Big Sleep, and top it all off with the pervasive corruption of Chinatown. That's what you get with this film. And there's some pretty strong touchstones there. Not surprising that I love this movie as much as I do. And I think one of his real gifts we've talked about a few of them, is that he's able to embody these characters who do kind of straddle these different these different worlds. He so naturally exudes being a man out of time, even literal time with this character and others in terms of the pace of his movements, his manner of speaking. He always moves at his own pace and often doesn't verbally respond in moments that you think a woking Phoenix character would. He's he's processing, he's experiencing it. You experience it in real time with Phoenix's character. So I'm with you in my appreciation. I have it even higher Dox Portello at number two. A lot of processing going on by document of processing, indeed, and that brings us to our number one, which is not a surprising pick, but we think it's the right pick obviously, and it's a joint number one pick there. There can only be one here if we're talking about Phoenix, and it turns out if we're talking about Phoenix and Paul Thomas Anderson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean in The Master as Freddi Quell. It's a character you immediately know when you first see him in that movie you're not going to take your eyes off him, partly because you don't want him out of your sight for what he will do if he's out of your range of vision, so discomfaning, so unnerving. Maybe the character that tests the theory the most of Phoenix, somehow ill attracting the audience's interest and sympathy. I think Freddie Quell pushes that the most, and it's only maybe having Philip Seymour Hoffmann's Master as something of an antagonist that allows that to happen. I think once we see how Freddy is being manipulated a little bit, we maybe begin to feel a little more sorry for him. But this is a broken, dangerous, scarred man. And I remember my first impression of The Master, a movie I've revisited a number of times, but coming away from it that first screening was Phoenix's face and what he did to it. I don't know how he transformed physically so much. You know, we talk about losing weight gaining weight for actors. I wrote, his face was withered and warren. Particularly when he scowls, it's almost as if his cleft lip has spread so that rivulets now also cross his cheeks, his brow, his chin, And that also is a physical man inifestation again of what's inside. It's like all of this torture is bubbling and seeping out, and it's coming out in his face. It's also coming out, and how Freddie walks, how Phoenix carries himself. I want to get to this when we talk about his performance in Her. There's some interesting examples of just, you know, his gait as an actor, and we see it here more than anywhere else. I think it's just this mask of torment that Phoenix wears and spreads to the rest of his body, and of course it does explode into violent physicality at times. I think one of the movies' first indications of this is that incredibly odd and uncomfortable scene where Freddie is working as a photographer at the department store when he gets back from the war, and he just lets his rage seep out into this passive, aggressive session with a client.
Speaker 3: I'm starting to sweat.
Speaker 2: You need to shut up, you need to move the gun.
Speaker 8: You need to shut up, you need to back off, sit down. I'm very sorry.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get the landing right. He must understand you want to get the radio.
Speaker 4: You can hear the simmering confrontation there. But there's also, of course in what Phoenix does again the actions. There's the slow shoving of that hot lamp towards the man's face, then the choke like tightening of the tie, and of course again that scowling look he has at the very beginning of the scene, just utter disdain for this guy. You know, he hates this man. We could speculate on the reasons. I think the movie goes on to give us a few of them, but immediately Freddy Quell hates this man. It's going to go badly for him. So yeah, I'm with you, master crowning achievement at this point in his career. Just a perfect marriage of the physical and the psychological that he's so good.
Speaker 7: At rewatching that scene today. I don't think it's an accident that the actor, if you look closely, the actor really resembles Philip Seymour Hopkins Lancaster. So it's it's foreshadowing the relationship he's going to have with that man as well, Lancaster DoD And we do get this seemingly unprovoked response, this disdain for this character. But it all starts when he asks him about who it's for. He says it's for his wife. This is this is the virile American male who is the domesticated version of a man that Freddy Quell can never be right. And it makes sense on some level that then that's going to be his instinctive response to him. And this movie is dealing with a lot of those subjects and those themes in a way that is not spelled out. But I really feel that Freddy Quell is carrying the burden of post war America on his shoulders, on his pretty slight shoulders here, Yeah, very thin and way more frail coming back from the war. And the way I described his character at the time was he's like an arthritic fist. You know, he's just crumpled up.
Speaker 3: You see it in that scene.
Speaker 7: It's as if every part of him is in pain. I think he does remark at some point that he's got stomach pain. But you watch him in that scene when he's getting the camera ready, pretty Quill acts as if he's perpetually experiencing heartburn, a terrible taste in his mouth, that as if he is always suffering or experiencing some pain, And you watch his mannerisms in that scene or throughout the movie, is Freddy. I really think a lot of lesser actors who tried to embody that character, tried to evoke those feelings and the type of phrasing that we're summoning here. They would make him overly theatrical. They would make him feel like a character, wouldn't feel natural, and it wouldn't have the power that it has. The putting his hand on his hips, the slouching that he does with his shoulders, in the facial reactions, all the things were saying, Phoenix makes it feel almost like Freddie Quell may have come out of the womb that way to go back to bow is afraid. We know that's probably not the case. That the war and his experience is there had to shape him somewhat into, if not completely, into the man that we see now, this broken man that we see now. But he makes it feel as if this is his life experience, and we don't ever we never questioned it. I never questioned it.
Speaker 3: Enough performance you'd pass this guy in the street.
Speaker 4: You know, that's like a very basic litmus test you can give to any sort of reality based performance. At least can I imagine myself passing this guy in the street, And in Freddy Quayle's case, absolutely, and you would know by all of those things you described Phoenix doing that can innicates you'd want to step aside, right it's just like this.
Speaker 3: Chances ire'll pass this guy, it'll be fine. Chances are more likely it won't.
Speaker 7: Be Yeah, even if he's not being assault of himself and no, no moment.
Speaker 3: How he's carrying himself, just the energy. Yep.
Speaker 7: Those are our top five walk in Phoenix performances. Any honorable mentions, Josh, do you like to throw in?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think we should get to this one because I saw this come up a lot on social media. People are big fans of the film, Come on, come on. And his performance as Johnny this is from writer director Mike Mills, and this is another nice guy Phoenix role.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: He's this single, kind of emotionally reserved uncle of a young boy and he ends up caring for the boy while his mother and father are going through this difficult patch. The boys played by Woody Norman. They have great chemistry together and it's a very generous and light turn. I think that is as good as the other stuff he's done. Maybe just not isn't the epitome to me of what Phoenix is like. So it didn't quite make the cut.
Speaker 2: Maybe we can just take this process slowly and and yeah, see how it feels.
Speaker 1: M H.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm just really sorry that your children died. You know, only I can do that part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I told you that's how me and mom do it.
Speaker 2: If it makes sense for your mom to do that, that's cool, But it doesn't make sense to me. That's what I was explaining to you, because it's ridiculous. It's sad.
Speaker 4: From April twenty twenty three, those were our top five Joaquin Phoenix performances. You can see our picks and more top fives at film spotting dot net slash lists.
Speaker 3: Michael. That does it for us listeners.
Speaker 4: If you'd like to connect with us on social media, you can find Adam and the show on Instagram, Facebook, and letterbox at film Spotting, I'm at Larson on film At all those places, as well as Blue Sky, we are independently produced and listener supported. You can support the show by joining the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com. You can listen early and ad free. You'll also get a weekly newsletter, monthly bonus episodes, and access to the entire show archive. For show t shirts and other merch go to film spotting dot net slash shop now. In that film Spotting archive, you will find reviews of all three previous ariastorfilms, so bo Is Afraid on Show nine seventeen, Midsomars seven thirty six, and Hereditary on six eighty five. I'm going to do a quick ranking here, Michael, just because I recently revised my Ariaster ranking on Letterboxed, I still have Hereditary up at the top. Maybe it's the horror fan in me just love that movie so much. I think I have bos Afraid next. I think that's where I put it because it and Eddington are close in that. Something's worked for me. Some things don't. But I love the swings they're taking. Midsomar I am positive on, but I thought was the least successful. Do you have a clear favorite of his, Michael, or have you seen all four?
Speaker 1: It's a good I have. It's a good question. I haven't revisited Hereditary because you know it's for me. That wouldn't be an easy revisit, although it's very good, I think, and unnerving as all hell. But don't I don't. I got to think about that in a funny way. The movies themselves are so internally uneven and arguably inconsistent, Yet he is consistently worth the provocations. You know, I mean I I's a good sign.
Speaker 3: I think I feel the same way. Yep. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'm realizing now, Michael, you're basically coming away from this recording with a homework assignment that's pretty hefty. So I want your ariost ranked list. I want you to choose between the apartment in Sunset Boulevard, and then I want you to vote in the film spotting poll about actresses playing actresses who are going through it?
Speaker 3: Okay, you got all that? Do you write all that in your.
Speaker 1: Noble all right, Yeah, I'll do it. It'll be the last time I remember darken these doors again.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's next week, all right, on streaming and v o D right now.
Speaker 4: Recently released is Happy Gilmore two. This has apparently Betty Safty, Haley, Joel Osmond, Margaret Qually, Travis Kelcey and Bad Bunny. Make of all that what you will? In wide release The Fantastic Four First Steps recommended by Michael Phillips. Also in wide release, Oh Hi. This stars Molly Gordon from Shiva, Baby, Theater Camp and of course The Bear. She plays a woman who goes on a romantic get away with a new boyfriend played by Logan Lherman. Next week, Adam is back and we will be doing a Pantheon Project review of One Flew Over the Huku's Nest in honor of its fiftieth anniversary, and we're also tackling our top five Jack Nicholson scenes. Film Spotting is produced by Golden Joe Deso and Sam van Holgren. Without Sam and Golden Joe, this show wouldn't go. Our production assistant is Sophie Kempenar. Special thanks to everyone at wb easy Chicago. More information is available at wbeazy dot org and special special thanks to Michael Phillips for helping me wade through my conflicted thoughts about Eddington. Michael, any work you've been up to coming out, things you're looking forward to that listeners should keep an eye out for.
Speaker 1: I mean, every almost every week over a classical WFMT ninety eight point seven FM here in Chicago, I introduce and host the first segment of the weekly program. Soundtrack a great array of film music, mostly film, TV, some video games, but mostly film. And you know, I'm working on just all kinds of fascinating stuff, including I Think what I Hope is going to be a piece that allows me to stretch out a bit and actually take time to do a proper Kim Novak interview and profile. She's getting a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Venice International Film Festival. I've been lucky enough to get invited back to Venice to be on this sort of off off the main slate side panel called the Bi and Ali College Cinema. Several critics in the country are going over to could reconvene and do that, and I'd like to. I'd like to, and I'll just talk process right here. I don't care if it doesn't work out. You guys are all friends. I'm trying to get. I may try to get out to Oregon, where miss Novak lives and has lived for many decades now, and do a do a minute interview away from the red carpet first and then catch up with her. So I'd love to. I'd love to do that. She is one hundred percent of Chicago, a really great, very bittersweet and anyways Chicago story, and I love it that she's getting the recognition now for one of the most unusual big stars Hollywood ever produced.
Speaker 4: Sounds like an incredible project, So all the best with that and safe travels to Venice. Thanks again for joining me here. Thanks Josh, it was fun for film spotting. I'm Josh Larson.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. The burn.
Speaker 7: Film Spotting is listeners supported. Join the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com and get access to ad free episodes, monthly bonus shows, our weekly newsletter, and, for the first time, all in one place, the entire film spotting archive going back to two thousand and five. That's a film spotting Family dot com
Speaker 8: Pannably