Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Diana and I'm Paul, and we've been married for about thirteen years. Our journey began twelve years ago. After trying to conceive for a year without assistance. We were referred to a fertility clinic where we endured vigorous testing and were devastated with the diagnosis of PCOS and cryptozoospermia, but.
Speaker 3: That didn't stop us. We had high hopes that IVF treatments would help us grow our family. I entered my first fair CASELL removal surgery about ten years ago, which is unfortunately not successful. Our fertility doctor informed us that was such low Seman parameters IUI and even conventional IVF wouldn't work for us. Instead, we were advised to pursue a then novel way of fertilizing eggs introcytoplasmic sperm injection also known as IXI fertilization. However, due to antiquated BMI restrictions at our local clinic, Diana was not allowed to move forward with an egg retrieval. They explained that the anesthesia team did not perform these services on larger bodies that we believe this is one of the many ways that clinic artificially inflated their success rates. We wanted to move forward with an IVF at our local clinic, Diana had to lose weight first.
Speaker 2: Spoiler alert, it took me nearly ten years to finally lose enough weight to qualify for TIS treatment in our hometown, which resulted in wasting a decade of my fertility. Once we were finally able to access the care that would hopefully help with grow our family, we were warned that I likely had bad egg quality due to my age, which was thirty nine at the time. After entering ten rounds of IVF and countless tests over the past three years, we now better understand that our greatest obstacle all along was not my weight, my age, or my equality.
Speaker 3: Our biggest obstacle has always been my sperm, which had gone ignored by almost every fertility doctor we worked with. More specifically, our biggest impediment was the very high level of DNA fragmentation present in my sperm, something that we discovered after our own research and had to strongly advocate for and convince our ARII to even test for. This is why, after multiple failed rounds of IVF, I decided to move forward with another vericocell removal surgery to help overcome our DNA fragmentation issues, this time with the reproductive urologist who successfully improved all our semen parameters and as a result, improved our final IVF outcomes.
Speaker 2: Over the past three years, we have researched and tried everything related to improving our fertility, including losing one hundred pounds, trying experimental treatments such as different protocols, fresh embryo transfers, reproductive immunology, acupuncture, red light therapy, ovarian PRP, uterine PRP, and so much more. We have worked with multiple clinics, traveling out of state for the best care for our unique needs. In fact, we record this audio from a tiny studio apartment in Manhattan as we work with the clinic in New York City.
Speaker 3: We've retrieved one hundred eggs from Diana's ovaries through ten extremely brutal egg retrievals. We have forty seven embryos which resulted in ten blasticists that were genetically tested. Six of those are frozen in time, just like Han Solo, ready and waiting to be transferred into Diana's uterus.
Speaker 2: Throughout this expedition, we have learned so much about the fertility industry, the insurance industry, and each other.
Speaker 3: The biggest and toughest lesson that we have learned while immersing ourselves in the world of fertility treatments is that efforts do not equal outcomes.
Speaker 2: Still, we publicly share everything that we have learned so that others may learn from our mistakes.
Speaker 3: More importantly, we share our stories so that others suffering through infertility will know that they are not alone.
Speaker 4: When I turned thirty eight, I decided to have a child on my own. I'm a single lady. I had just gotten out of a pretty serious relationship and didn't really want there to be the pressure of a baby hanging over another. So I went in for a consultation to find out what was going on with my body. Turns out I had pretty good follicle count. I went pretty quickly and found a donor. In the meantime, I did my own genetic carrier screening and I found out I had was a carrier for two rare diseases, and the donor I selected had only been screened for one of them. One of them was not included on most screens, so he actually ended up going back to the sperm bank with those results, which was great. So this was an anonymous donor, although we did do open ID so my daughter spoiler Alert, can reach out when she turns eighteen, so that decision is up to her to reach out if she wants. So I had one round of IUI, which was unmedicated, and then that didn't work. I was pretty disappointed and just didn't want to wait any longer, just given the amount of time that went between each cycle. Of course every month kind of aligning with your menstrual cycle. I went to IVF right after that, and at the beginning of that second attempt, I got COVID and my follicle account was really terrible when we went titcheck at the middle of the month, and so we waited for another month, which was like that's eight weeks. Then from the start, I did about two weeks of shots and I had one not so fun episode where I had to go on a Sunday to sitting nearby. Didn't have a car at the time and had to take a bus and a train and had very sore ovaries and was super swollen and feeling awful. But I had to get one more Gona left pen for I think it was the quarter of the remaining dose that I needed for that night. And then I did my trigger the next week two days later, which was also neebrecking. So after that I got about twenty mature eggs. We used XY and I eventually ended up with a fair number of embryos that were PGT normal. I had two that were abnormal that were discarded, and a couple that just didn't make it. So I let the embryoagist decide which embryo to implant because I didn't want to get the sex of the embryos revealed. I did not want to make that choice and I wanted to keep as much of it kind of normal as possible. That this totally bizarre journey to have my daughter. I guess it's not bizarre, but it was just different than what I expected. So we did it for It was an embryo transfer in November, and I found out I was pregnant right after Thanksgiving, and I had her last August. So I have my beautiful baby and I have several embryos on ice.
Speaker 5: Thank you again, everyone's so so much for sharing your stories with us. It it really means so much and Aarin and I have been like talking about this sort of off the air and just about how appreciative we are and how amazing it is to get to to learn this, this wide range of experiences and feelings that people have about this, and how greatful we are that we get to share these with other people as well. So yeah, thank you.
Speaker 6: Think we maybe all have an idea of what we think IVF might be like, and so many of us have absolutely no idea, and it's so different for so many of you. So thank you all so much for taking the time to write in, to record your stories, and to be willing to share such a difficult and vulnerable time with so many people.
Speaker 7: We really appreciate it. Yes, well said Hi. I'm erin Welsh and I'm erin allman Updike.
Speaker 5: And this is this podcast will kill you.
Speaker 7: We're coming to you with our third of three episodes. Yeah, i've yf.
Speaker 5: Yes, if you have not listened to the first two episodes, you should go listen to them. You should go try showus out, but just for a little bit of context in case you're like, I'll do that later after this. Yeah, afterwards, this is what you could expect to find in episodes one and two. Episode one, we were primarily focused on infertility, sort of the concept of infertility and how it has changed over space and time and how we evaluate infertility today in a biomedical setting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then our second episode was focused really on IVF.
Speaker 7: How did we do it?
Speaker 6: Like, how did people come up with IVF, what kind of science was required for us to be able to make that happen, and what are the steps of IVF.
Speaker 7: Today and then get in today's episode.
Speaker 5: Today's episode is sort of a very i would say, like a very surface level overview of the current landscape of IVF technology.
Speaker 6: You're going to say a surface level deep dive just to like be contrary.
Speaker 5: I do feel like that is like our stick is.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is mostly about like from innovation to industry essentially, how IVF has become the thing that it is today and then also where it might go in the future.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But before we get into all of that, it's still quarantiny time.
Speaker 5: It is, and it's still the same Quarantini as our first two episodes.
Speaker 7: It's a work of art, it is.
Speaker 5: And if you would like to get the full recipe for the quarantiny and non Alcoholic Placy Brita a work of art. You should check out our social media channels. We've got posted there. Check out our website. We've got them posted there. Also on our website. Lots of cool, great stuff, you know, transcripts, We've got links to merch links to bookshop where you can find all of the book books as well as the books that we reference for all of our episodes. You can find good Reads lists, you can find Patreon, lots of things. I know I'm forgetting stuff, but you know what, you did.
Speaker 7: A great job. Check it out this podcastle Tillia dot com.
Speaker 5: Let's get started.
Speaker 7: Let's please eron.
Speaker 6: Tell me about this global landscape because oof, I have some ideas about it, but I don't really know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's sort of how I ended up. So we'll see what the journey that I took to get there right after this break.
Speaker 8: Hi, my name is Melissa. I'm forty one years old, and my fertility journey started ten years ago. My husband and I tried to conceive for two years without success before being referred to a fertility clinic. We spent the next year undergoing various tests to determine possible causes for our inability to get pregnant. We found out that we both have fertility issues. Our physician recommended that we try intrauterine insemination to improve our chances. We tried several rounds of UI and were finally successful with the birth of our daughter in twenty eighteen. In twenty twenty two, we decided to try again, so we went back to our fertility clinic. We tried two unsuccessful rounds of IUI and then moved on to IVF, as by this time I was nearing forty. We underwent our first day retrieval process last summer. To say that I was unprepared for the difficulties of undergoing IVF was a huge understatement. To prepare for the retrieval, I had to inject myself with fertility meds multiple times a day. I had to do several internal ultrasounds so the clinic could monitor the growth of my eggs. On the day of the retrieval, I was so hopeful, but again totally unprepared for the experience of the procedure. I was given pain medication, but the process of piercing through my vaginal wall to aspirate the eggs from my ovaries was excruciating. The retrieval resulted in four embryos which were frozen and sent for PGTA testing, but only a single embryo came back as viable for transfer, so I began the process for embryo transfer, which involved daily intramuscular injections of progesterone in oil. I had a reaction to the oil and ended up with painful, red hot lumps on both of my thighs. We transferred the embryo, but unfortunately it didn't survive. I was devastated. Our doctor had us try again, this time with a huge increase in medication dosage. I went through the awful process of injections, ultrasounds, and agg retrieval yet again, and this time we got six embryos. We were so hopeful that it would work this time. Unfortunately, none of the embryos were viable, so we couldn't transfer any of them. We were told that my eggs are too damaged and we shouldn't try to do any further retrievals. Our best hope now is to buy eggs from a donor egg bank, with the hope that we might get a healthy embryo that has at least my husband's DNA. This journey of IVF has been an emotional roller coaster. I've been heartbroken again and again, and now we are left unsure if we will ever have another child.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 9: I'm Sarah and our journey to having children was a complicated one. My husband and I began trying to fall pregnant shortly after marriage. After nearly eighteen months with no conception, we went to the GP for preconception testing and discovered that my husband had azuspermia feud in conjunction with deranged hormone levels. The GP recommended follow up genetic screening, so two months later we received the results that he had forty seven xx ye Climbfelter syndrome, a condition that often results in infertility. We were then referred to a fertility clinic where we decided to try a testicular sperm aspiration to see if they could find any viable immature sperm. None were found. We now knew a sperm donor would be required as the only treatment option for non obstructive asiospermic male factor infertility in Australia. Or gammic donation has to be altruistic, so finding local sperm is very difficult. Our specialist suggested we look at known donors, specifically a family donor. We decided to approach my husband's brother as a potential donor, and we're very grateful that he agreed. A known donor pathway is significantly different to a purchase sperm pathway and required further genetic screening of myself, the donation and freezing of the donor sample, mandatory counseling to ensure all parties were aware of the legalities and potential emotional mine fields of the situation, and the six month cooling off period post donation, which served for testing of the donated sample and allowed for change of mind of the donor. After those six on months, we were ready to finally begin treatment, as is the case with all male factor in fertility. After that sperm aspiration procedure, all further surgeries, medication and treatment was for the carrying parent. Our first collection cycle and fresh embryo transfer was unsuccessful, with no additional embryos to freeze. Our second collection cycle and fresh embryo transfer was also unsuccessful, however, had also produced true embryos to freeze. Here, we took a break for a few months before returning for a frozen embryo transfer, which was thankfully successful and resulted in our gorgeous baby girl. Twelve months after her birth, we returned to the fertility clinic to transfer the remaining frozen embryo. Whilst it felt strange trying to get pregnant again when it felt like we still had a little baby, the knowledge of how hard the fertility treatment was men I wanted to rip off the band aid, complete the last treatment cycle and know with certainty what our family would look like. We repeated the same successful frozen transfer protocol, which was again successful, and this time we had a beautiful baby boy. With twenty months between the kids. We were deep in the two under two club and extremely grateful for the treatment options that we had been able to utilize to have our family. Seven months after having our son, we heard from the clinic asking us about the remainder of our frozen donated sperm. This is when we decided our family was complete and we would discard the remaining samples and close the door on our fertility journey. Fertility treatment is emotion only, physically and financially taxing, and we're very thankful to have come out the other side. With our two gorgeous little kids. We are acutely aware that not everyone walks away from fertility treatment having had a child.
Speaker 5: Last week. I left off sometime in the nineteen eighties, after the number of IVF clinics began to grow rapidly, leading to technological improvements, wider applications, and questions about regulation, about access, and about the ethics surrounding this technology. Any new technological advancement is going to carry with it ethical considerations, especially those that are widely used and that have a great deal of impact or potential. And what often happens is that these technologies and their applications develop faster than our regulation of them or even our ability to know how we feel about them, Like what do we think about them? IVF is no exception. IVF is an incredibly powerful technology that has enabled millions of people around the world to fulfill their dreams of having children. I mean, think about that, like that is it is truly amazing?
Speaker 7: It is incredible, Like it is so cool and incredible.
Speaker 5: Yes, it absolutely this is not hyperbole. Revolutionized reproductive technology around the globe like before IVF, after IVF very clear line and so of course a technology as powerful as IVF will carry with it substantial ethical implications and questions of regulation. Just as we're still working out the kinks of IVF technology, we're still figuring out how to best regulate this industry and how to protect everyone involved and where the future might take us. And today, I want to go through some of the ethical considerations or questions of regulation of IVF that have emerged over the history of this technology. I'm not going to present pros and cons. I'm not going to make value judgments. I just want to touch on a few areas, not all of the areas, not comprehensively, because I think that this story in general, the regulatory landscape of IVF, is an important It's a necessary part of the story or history of IVF and its future. This is a really complex topic with so much nuance, and we're not ethicists or policy experts or anything in IVF. We're just going to try our best like we always do, and I'm going to focus primarily on the regulation, access, and innovation side of things. If you live in the US, I'm sure you've come across recent headlines about the Alabama Supreme Court ruling in February of this year that frozen embryos can be considered children in that state. The short term and long term implications of this ruling are not yet clear, and I'm sure that in the next few months leading up to the election, we'll see more discussion about this and about the other ways that political groups and religious organizations are trying and sometimes succeeding, to push an agenda ultimately aimed at controlling people's bodies and choices. Banning IVF is just one part of this wider movement to reaffirm gender roles, restrict access to healthcare, reinforce cycles of poverty, and control people's bodies. And it feels truly dystopian to be watching this unfold and gain traction, like I both can't believe but also sadly can believe that it's happening right in front of us. But today, we're not going to debate when life begins, or what should or shouldn't be considered a child and be granted personhood, or even what an embryo is, because there are actually many definitions of embryo that very globally and we're not going to debate these things because first, you can't really debate what comes down to essentially fundamental disagreements over closely held beliefs, like I believe to my core that abortion is healthcare and that IVF should not be banned. I cannot imagine entertaining any argument trying to convince me otherwise. And secondly, in the rest of the world, discussions of the ethics of IVF have moved beyond the question of whether or not IVF should be done and onto how it should be done. And so that's what I'm going to touch on today. But first, let's go back to the early years of IVF to see how it grew, with a special emphasis on the US, because that will get us to the current landscape of IVF. The early nineteen eighties established that IVF seemed here to stay, and by the end of the decade, nearly two hundred clinics offered IVF in the US, and an estimated thirty thousand women in the US had sought pregnancy using IVF. By the end of the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Yeah, I was like, wait, wait, wait, wait, year.
Speaker 5: Again, but attempts to develop clear federal regulation for IVF fell short. Other countries had come up with licensing bodies to regulate research and treatment with committees consisting of people with varying backgrounds and expertise, and the US tried this but didn't get as far as formalizing the committee's recommendations even when there was consensus, and in the meantime, the IVF industry in the US continued to grow. There were those guidelines from the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology that I mentioned last week, but no requirement to follow them. As of the late nineteen eighties, any licensed physician could open an IVF clinic. You didn't have to be a board certified reproductive endocrinologist or even an obgyn, and this showed in the range of live birth rates in clinics. More established clinics with highly experienced reproductive endocinologist reported rates of twenty percent, more than double the national average of nine percent, and twenty one percent of all clinics in the US in nineteen eighty eight did not have a single live birth.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that isn't to say that twenty one percent of all clinics were terrible and just like exploiting people and taking their money, but that perhaps the entire field might benefit from best practice guidelines that would protect the interests and health of everyone involved, from practitioners to patients. The calls for more regulation both then and now didn't just come from the outside, like people working on the outside of IVF, but also those who were most intimately involved in this work. In the nineteen eighties, IVF practitioners knew that this booming field could be severely harmed by just a handful of physicians who saw IVF as an opportunity to exploit rather than help. Without guidelines, the field could grow increasingly market driven, with private clinics competing for clients by doctoring their or not being fully transparent about their rates of live birth. Ultimately, it was fear of exploitation, along with a scandal, that helped to inspire the first major piece of regulation for IVF in the US. Even though Cecil Jacobsen, the physician at the heart of the scandal, did not offer IVF, he did defraud many people at his reproductive health practice and also used his own sperm to impregnate patients, saying it was anonymous donation. He was one of those Yeah.
Speaker 6: Is he is this the one that that podcast is about the retrievals?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that retrievals is something else.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry. Wow, okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there are there's more than one, more than one.
Speaker 7: Okay, great, yeah, very very great.
Speaker 5: It's wonderful. Yeah, and Cecil Jacobson was sentenced to five years in prison.
Speaker 7: Five years okay, yep, yeah.
Speaker 5: There's some. He also did some other really horrible thing thanks to some of his patients. I won't even get into it, but you know, just give them a Google. But finally, in nineteen ninety two, the Fertility Clinics Success Rate and Certification Act was passed, largely in the name of consumer protection, to require that clinics be transparent about their procedure success rates. So this is straight from the CDC website. This act quote mandates that clinics performing art annually provide data for all procedures performed to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and sets forth definitions and reporting requirements. CDC is required to use these data to report and publish clinic specific success rates and certification of embryo laboratories.
Speaker 8: End quote.
Speaker 5: So what I'm not sure about is how those rates or which of those rates are communicated to IVF clients. Is it a clinic wide average, does it inclclude people experiencing infertility or people who seek IVF for other reasons. Is it across all ages? How much of it is influenced by the decision tree to use IVF, Like depending on the person seeking treatment, some clinics may jump straight to IVF, while others may explore less expensive, less involved options.
Speaker 6: First, I don't have answers to that, but the CDC does have a really awesome interactive way that you can look up all of the clinics in your area, like by zip code, and so you can at least see some of the rates, and they have a lot of disclaimers on there about what it counts for and what it doesn't account for and all of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's definitely like, yeah, I think that is a really important tool to have, Yeah, at I get starting it at least, yeah, to get And I think it sometimes can put that the onus of research on the person who is doing this, and that's that's challenging. And also I don't know, as someone who has never sought IVF, I don't know how easy or difficult or like how different clinics interact with you.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, and I'm sure yeah, it's all going to also vary, like which one, if any take your insurance, how much does your insurance cover, how much does this one cost versus that one costs. Like it's all just a huge web, you know, and you just are stuck in.
Speaker 5: It, and you're just suck in it. And then there's egg freezing, which is a totally separate procedure that I think more recently at least, we have gotten better numbers on. But in the beginning, it was sort of like, here's this hypothetical scenario that we're going to do. And a lot of these egg freezing programs were started by people who didn't have necessarily backgrounds in medicine or reproductive medicine. And I know that, like you know, I'm sure that, as you'll talk about, we have a better grasp on what egg freezing looks like. But it can also be measured in many, many, many different ways, so it's complicated. And the other thing about this act is that there aren't clear consequences for the clinics that don't participate in reporting to the CDC. Ninety percent do in the US, and the bottom line is that this is still a market driven enterprise. Estimated at five point three four billion dollars in the US in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 7: Just in the US.
Speaker 5: Just in the US, yeah, oh boy. Yeah. And so I think what it comes down to for a lot of people is that opportunities exist for clinics to massage their results to stand out from the competition because of the way that a lot of this is market driven. But it is untrue that IVF in the US is completely unregulated wild West. In some ways, there are stricter reporting requirements for IVF than there are for other medical procedures in the US who don't have to report cess rates. Granted, it is less regulated than in other countries, especially those that have national healthcare systems, but legislation does exist, and it's not just the nineteen ninety two Act that helps to protect consumers. Some US states have accreditation and inspection laws. And then there's also the US legal system, which allows patients to sue clinics and doctors for medical malpractice. But litigation is reactive, and so it still allows for the potential for exploitation or abuse within fertility clinics. Instances of doctors using their own sperm to impregnate clients without their knowledge or consent, not providing adequate care during procedures, or ignoring pain so that that podcast, The Retrievals by Cereal tells the story of how women underwent these painful surgical procedures at an IVF clinic, where a nurse had swapped out fentanyl for saline solution, but no one believed that the women were actually experiencing pain. They were like, no, this is normal amount of pain, but really they were undergoing procedures that with.
Speaker 7: Emily they would be pain.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Control, Yeah, I haven't listened to it, but it sounds rage inducing and well done. Yeah, or some clinics will not properly inform of risks involved or things like extreme And it also leaves open things like extreme deviation from the standard of medical care, such as when a doctor transferred twelve embryos into a woman named Natalie Suliman, resulting in the world's first surviving octopletz octomom as. We probably remember that doctor's license was later revoked, But again, like, how do we better protect against misuse or abuse from the outset? I don't know. The added regulation and threat of litigation did not dampen enthusiasm for IVF in the US during the rest of the nineteen nineties and into the two thousands from the book Pursuit of Parenthood Quote. Between nineteen ninety nine and twenty fifteen, the volume of treatment in America's fertility centers, measured by the number of egg retrieval cycles, went up more than two and a half times to nearly two hundred and thirty two thousand retrieval cycles, about eighty percent of them with the intent to achieve a pregnancy and the rest for the purpose of freezing and banking the resulting embryos for future use. Just under sixty one thousand women gave birth after being treated that year in twenty fifteen, for an overall take home baby rate of about thirty three percent, up from about twenty five percent in nineteen ninety nine end quote. And patient makeup at these clinics was also changing, with more single women and same sex couples using ibas, as well as an increase in traditional and gestational surrogacy, egg donation, and so on. These trends were not happening just in the US, but also globally, and they have led to continued discussion and heated debate over how to best regulate some IVF practices, and so here's where I want to move more generally into the global landscape of IVF to touch on some of the questions that have been raised about practices within IVF beyond consumer protection and clinic transparency laws about things like surrogacy, egg and sperm donation IVF for single parents or same sex couples age cutoffs. These laws vary globally, which has led to people traveling to other countries to seek fertility treatment, called cross border reproductive care or fertility tourism. The US, for instance, is one of a handful of countries where paid or commercial is legal. India used to be a very popular destination for surrogacy due to its lower cost, but they have since banned foreign couples seeking surrogacy. Other countries permit only altruistic surrogacy, where the cost of medical care and other pregnancy related expenses are covered but no additional fees, and in some countries surrogacy of any kind is illegal. This variation in surrogacy laws reflects discussions around whether paid surrogacy always carries with it the risk of exploitation, whether the transactional nature of paid surrogacy better protects both commissioning parents and surrogate by more clearly outlying expectations. How to deal with the fact that pregnancy is inherently risk laden and can be especially so with IVF if multiple embryos implant, or what to do when the unexpected happens. Commissioning couples divorcing during the surrogacy, pregnancy, pregnancy loss, health issues developing during pregnancy, or as a result of pregnancy, people changing their mind midway. There was one case where a genetic scan revealed that one of the fetuses that a surrogate was carrying had TRISO only twenty one down syndrome, and the commissioning couple only adopted the twin without the condition. Then that led to a lot of other issues. It was it was like a long, really long drawn out process. Wow that this in general is a very complicated topic, as is the commodification of sperm, eggs, and embryos, similar to gestational surrogacy or traditional surrogacy. Countries have varying laws regarding sperm and egg donation or sale, and this is another reason that people travel across borders for reproductive care. Then there's anonymous donation as in is there still such a thing as anonymity with the advent of ancestry testing, Yeah yeah. Discussion has also arisen over the use of frozen eggs, sperm, or fertilized eggs after a couple splits, or if someone dies in situations where there is no written documentation indicating the wishes of the deceased, how should posthumous reproduction be allowed to proceed or should it? I came across one high profile case where a couple died in a car accident and their two sets of parents engaged the services of a gestational carrier to carry their grandchild from frozen embryos from the deceased couple, So four years after the couple had died, their baby was born.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah. There are a lot of a lot of stories similar to that. Okay, you know, frozen sperm, frozen eggs, commissioning a gestational carrier. Yeah yeah. And then finally, recent technological advancements like gene editing where people can select for sex or other advertised quote unquote like designer babies. These have also raised questions along the lines of just because we can, does that mean we should? It's still very early days when it comes to the practical application of gene editing technologies such as Crisper to human embryos, but it is in our future, quite possibly are very near future, right, and many people have called for discussion and regulations now to start drawing lines between what is considered acceptable use of this technology and what could be considered misuse. Beyond how IVF is done or how the practice is regulated, is the question of access. I've already talked about how most stories featuring IVF tend to have a quote unquote happy ending resulting in a baby, and stories where IVF didn't work out aren't highlighted as much. But even more silenced are the stories where people can't seek out IVF due to economic, insurance or geographic reasons, or reasons pertaining to their identity, whether that's marital status, sexual orientation, age, etc. Sometimes referred to as socially infertile. The WHO and the CDC, among other organizations around the world, classify infertility as a disability, but in the US, insurance companies are not required in all states to cover or offer coverage for IVF. Some clinics offer IVF lotteries where people can enter to win a free cycle and of course, lack of access to IVF disproportionately impacts people of color and poor people. To quote American sociologists, law professor, and social justice advocate Dorothy Roberts, quote, the people in the United States most likely to be infertile are poor, black, and poorly educated. Most couples who use IVF and other high tech procedures are white, highly educated, and affluent.
Speaker 1: End quote.
Speaker 5: This problem of access extends globally, with resource poor countries tending to have lowest access to assisted reproductive technologies like IVF. Laws and regulations that limit or remove reproductive rights, whether that's access to contraceptives, abortion, fertility treatments without exception, have a disproportionate impact on the poor and disadvantaged. We may not know what's going to happen in the future, but that much we do know, right.
Speaker 7: That has been clear for a very long time.
Speaker 5: That is established.
Speaker 7: We haven't fixed that problem yet.
Speaker 5: It's still in existence in perpetuity. Yes, the history, the regulation, the technology. It's such a hugely, vastly complex topic and may become even more so in the coming decades with the incorporation of new technologies. Figuring out how to regulate a constantly evolving technology is challenging but essential. IVF holds so much potential. It has given so many people the children they have always wanted, and it has helped to expand our definition of what constitutes a family in a really beautiful way. And it also forces us to examine our feelings about what the limits of this technology are or what they should be in the future. And it's okay to not know how you feel about all these different aspects of IVF, like posthumous reproduction or gene editing. It's complex stuff. And if it were easy to come to a consensus or know that this is you know, this is the dividing line, then we would have already done that at this point, like at least country to country. Instead, what we can do, I think is some self reflection. We can listen, we can learn, and we can ask questions. And so I'll end with a question, Aaron, what can you tell us about the potential future of IVF.
Speaker 6: Oh, I can tell you a little bit and maybe a lot right after this break.
Speaker 10: Hi, my name is Madeline Kronfeld. My story is about egg retrieval and freezing, because that's what I'm in the middle of doing. When I turned thirty eight in August twenty twenty three, I found myself in a situation that I didn't expect. I was single, with no prospects of a partner, and desperately wanting to be a mother one day. I've always wanted children, and I've always been in long term relationships, so I just assumed it would happen. I was married and divorced before I turned thirty, and then in a year's long relationship after that that I thought was going to lead to marriage and kids when it didn't. And after the death of my mom in May twenty twenty three, I decided that I had to take matters into my own hands and start the egg freezing process. Given my age and test results, it's expected that I need to do three to four cycles to freeze the twenty five to thirty eggs that the fertility clinic recommends.
Speaker 7: At more than fifteen.
Speaker 10: Thousand dollars per cycle, this would have been entirely cost prohibitive when I was younger. Of course, I would have had more eggs at that point, so maybe only one or two cycles. But even at a time when I'm more equipped to afford a large portion of this on my own. It's incredibly draining on my bank account and my emotions. So far, I've done two egg retrievals, one in February twenty twenty four and the second very recently in April twenty twenty four. Between those, I have seven frozen eggs. I'm happy to have any, but I'm also really disappointed that I don't have more. So I've been on this insane roller coaster of emotions, which is not helped by the extra hormones coursing through me. I plan on doing one more round and then I'll reassess things with my doctor. What's getting me through it is knowing that I'm actually doing something, even if I never need to use these frozen eggs or I do and it doesn't actually result in a viable pregnancy. I know that I'm privileged in the sense that I have an incredible support system of family and friends around me. I have the savings to afford it because my insurance doesn't cover any of this, I have the flexibility with my schedule.
Speaker 5: To do it.
Speaker 10: And I live in in Northern Virginia, which is a big metro area where there are excellent fertility resources. I feel really strongly that IVF, IUI, egg freezing, and any other fertility treatments are really empowering, whether you do it with a partner or on your own. Right now, I'm doing it on my own, and I really hope that one day I have a child again, whether it's from one of these frozen eggs or naturally. But I can't wait to tell them how much I wanted them in my life.
Speaker 1: Hi, my name is Mallorie, and I'm going to share my experience with IVF. My husband and I started trying to get pregnant after a year of marriage. We thought it would be easy, we were both young, healthy. Fast forward two years and we had tried natural conception, we had tried clomid, and finally IUI all without a pregnancy, so we started our first round. I injected myself with a cocktail of hormones to stimulate my ovaries and got to experience all the fun side effects waking, bruising, bloating, headaches, massive mood swings. I had blood work and vaginal ultrasounds routinely, and was finally told to give myself the last injection of hCG to stimulate my ovaries to ovulate the next morning, I went under anesthesia for the egg retrieval. However, I woke up to my husband telling me it didn't work. We had to repeat the injection and the procedure again in two days. The second time, they were able to retrieve about twenty eggs from my ovaries.
Speaker 7: But after this.
Speaker 1: Second procedure, I kept feeling worse and worse. I had severe nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, abdominal tenderness, and bloating to the point I looked six months pregnant. When I finally couldn't take a deep breath, I went to the er. I was diagnosed with ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, an exaggerated response in thevaries that caused swelling and leakage of the blood vessels into the abdominal cavity. They drained about three liters off my abdominal cavity at the bedside. Spent the night in the hospital because that promptly tanked my blood pressure, and then went home with a drain the next day to keep removing fluid over the next week. Two months later, we did have frozen embryos and planted. I gave myself progesterone injections into my buttock every day for twelve weeks, and thankfully, our daughter was born healthy without complications. Two years later, after using our last chromosomally normal embryo, my son was born. I found IVF to be incredibly difficult physically, mentally, and emotionally. I wish fertility and the possibilities of infertility had been discussed more when I was younger, and I had been better prepared. I'm a healthcare provider in women's health, and I feel there's been a massive shift in awareness and perception of infertility. The rise of women finding platforms to vocalize their experiences with IVF and infertility has had major effects. I applaud the spread of information and the empowering and cathartic nature of women sharing their stories and forming communities. But I see women almost daily who are terrified that they're infertile and won't have children because of what they've seen or heard. I think it's so important to provide accurate, honest information. None of us have a crystal ball to see what the future of our fertility holds, and while there are some tests that can give insight into general reproductive health, The fact of the matter is, for most people, we never know how easy or heart it will be to get pregnant until we start trying.
Speaker 6: So let's start with how many babies are born via IVF, shall we?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: In twenty twenty four, most papers that I read, most figures say that the total number of humans that have been born as a result of IVF, like total globally is ten million people.
Speaker 5: That's amazing, I know, isn't that incredible? Yeah? Wow?
Speaker 6: We had people wrote who wrote in who were quote unquote test two babies. Yeah, help themselves, and like that's that's incredible, like that it it still absolutely blows my mind that this is possible, like it is. It is so fascinating and everything that we went through in the last episode about all of the steps that had to happen for us to be able to have IVFB a reality, and now that it is becoming something that for a lot of people, though, as we'll talk about, not for everyone, but for a lot of people, is an attainable possibility.
Speaker 7: Like, it's incredible, We've come so far.
Speaker 6: In twenty twenty two, globally it was estimated that well, globally, it was reported that over seven hundred and fifty thousand babies were born just in twenty twenty two. And that is to the kind of global registry of all places that report out their their figures and their numbers. But just like in the US, it's not required, and so it's thought that this is an underestimate. So it's possible that the real number was possibly closer to a million. Is what the paper that I read said. Okay, that's a huge number of people every year.
Speaker 7: That's wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: What I will also.
Speaker 6: Say is that this is from a reported three million art cycles each year, three million cycles of IVF or IVF with ICSI to get seven hundred and fifty thousand babies. So when you think about what so many people have had to go through, when you have heard so many of these first hand accounts, and so many of more of you who wrote in a lot of these art cycles are often required before there is a baby. So this is a massively huge industry. Like you kind of highlighted aarin and these numbers, this seven hundred and fifty thousand babies, these three million art cycles, they're not split in an equal fashion. We see that in the US, and we see that globally. On a small scale. Here in the US, in twenty eight art accounted for I'm not calling it art today, it's calling an art last time, feeling a little spicy. Art accounted for zero point four percent of babies that were born in Puerto Rico and five percent of babies born in Massachusetts in the UOW that's like the biggest scale that we see.
Speaker 5: That is quite a range.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's illustrative.
Speaker 6: Globally, half of all people who have infertility or who are dealing with difficulty conceiving or infertility don't even gain access to medical treatment, and in many cases people are seeking care for years before they can actually get access. That's true in the US, that's true in Europe, but this is especially true in low and middle income countries. And like you mentioned, Aaron, race and ethnicity are hugely impactful in terms of who has access to infertility services, both because of systemic disparities in like economics and access to healthcare, but also because of the biases of our healthcare system and the burdens of the infertility treatment process itself, and on top of that social stigmatization or distrust of the medical establishment.
Speaker 7: Like there's a.
Speaker 6: Lot of layers of barriers to good infertility treatment, especially for marginalized communities in the US and globally. But we have come an incredibly long way in terms of the technology itself, and so I want to kind of focus on what some of those advancements have been, both for the good and for the how do we do this going forward? Yeah, And what's interesting I think in going through and reading all of this about like, how has IVF changed since the early days. Some of the hugest advances in IVF in recent decades are now so commonplace that they're actually just part of the IVF process that I described last episode, So they wouldn't even be considered like, Ooh, this brand new, super exciting on the edge thing. It's like, no, that's just how we do IVF now. Yeah, But I want to highlight them because there were incredible advancements in the last few decades. ICSI is one of them, and that again is interra cite, a plasmic sperm injection allowing for one single sperm to fertilize one single egg like via a tiny needle. This has allowed for successful IVF in the face of very severe male factor infertility, which was not possible before this.
Speaker 7: That's major.
Speaker 6: We talked last episode about blasticist stage implantation, that is, growing the embryo or whatever you want to call it until it gets to day five, where it becomes that blasticist that wasn't the norm before. And this not only allows for more successful implantation, but it also allows for the testing of embryos because there's enough cells there to be able to take some to be able to test. This has allowed for a variety of genetic testing methods, which I want to spend a little bit of time on because some of them are still a lot more controversial than I realized, and some of them are just amazing for people living with certain genetic conditions. But I also just want to mention single embryo transfer as kind of like a novel occurrence. And this is possible today in part because of the things that I just mentioned ICSI, blasticist transfer, being able to do genetic testing, which has increased the success rates of each cycle of IVF, but single embryo transfer also substantially decreases the risks to both the person carrying the pregnancy and the fetus, so that has also been like a pretty huge technological advancement, and then there are a whole bunch more And you mentioned Aaron, how as a marketplace driven phenomenon, part of what IVF clinics have to do is get clients, and so a lot of them will offer a range of add ons that they recommend or offer to patients that could potentially help their chances of having a live birth. And this is not just true in the US, this is across the globe. But the big thing that I learned about a lot of these add on procedures is that many of them have little to know evidence that they're actually going to improve the chances of having a live birth, and in some cases they could even be harmful. So I want to go into what some of those are and kind of like break down some of the data on what things are really potentially helpful and what things are maybe just still in the stage of research and yet they're already being used in practice. So this includes things like assisted hatching. I don't know if you came across that, Aaron, No, I did not. I When I came across this, I was like, Wow, I've never felt more like a chicken hatching. Okay, assisted hatching, This has not great evidence. From what I can tell, it's a little bit unclear. Maybe it works, the data seems poor on kind of all sides, whether it supports it or whether it's not beneficial. But basically what it is is it's using a laser or something to drill a little bit into this blasticism prior to implantation to because the blastistis because in order for implantation to happen, the blasticist has to kind of break out of what's called the zona pellucida in order to implant in the uterus. So it's basically like making a little crack in that to hopefully improve the chances of implantation.
Speaker 5: Assisted hatching.
Speaker 6: Assisted hatching is what it sounds like. There's not great evidence for it though, So it's one of those where perhaps in certain situations, if you've had a lot of failed implantations or something like that, could it be beneficial.
Speaker 7: Maybe. But I think, and this is.
Speaker 6: True for a lot of these potential add ons, is that if they're offered as just a suite of items, I can imagine if you are someone who has tried so many different things, of course you're going to try anything that someone says could be beneficial, and so I think that's where these things can become really problematic if they're not well regulated.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I have a question about assisted hatching. Okay, you said that there's not good evidence. Is there evidence in one direction or another? Or is it just so context dependent, like is there a trend toward assisted hatching being potent potentially like decrease rates of success.
Speaker 7: It's a good question.
Speaker 6: I read a Cochran review about it, which basically said that the quality of data that we have is so poor that you can't come to any conclusion one way or the other.
Speaker 5: Okay, I see, but given the fact that it's sold as an add on where it's like maybe.
Speaker 7: Maybe it's going to help you, But yeah, how much is it?
Speaker 5: And in the US do insurance companies cover this?
Speaker 6: Such a good question, Aaron, I didn't even look into the like numbers of prices on this because it varies so much like state to state, country to country insurance insurance. I would guess that anything beyond like a quote unquote standard cycle of IVF is probably not covered by most insurances, but I don't know.
Speaker 7: For sure because I didn't look it up.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, And there's more things too. There's certain special culture media that some facilities might use that they call it sometimes embryo glue that supposedly makes the embryo more likely to implant. Not a lot of data for anything like that. There's something called endometrio scratching, which is exactly what it sounds like, scratching the endometrium to try and help implantation. There's not any substantial amount of evidence that that is going to increase.
Speaker 7: Live birth rates.
Speaker 6: Then there are things that the evidence is a little bit more specific and nuanced, So that's things like elective freeze only cycles that would be rather than trying to do a cycle of IVF where you implant the embryo right after that five days, you freeze all of the embryos, and then you plan for a cycle later. This doesn't seem to increase the chance of a live birth, that is not what the data shows, but it can decrease the risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, so it's kind of a trade off. And then we get into pre implantation genetic testing as a part of IVF, and I want to spend a little bit of time here because it's become a huge part of the IVF process.
Speaker 5: Before we do this real quick? Can I just ask a question about these add ons?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Please, I'm very so.
Speaker 6: There's also more, like there was so many more that I found.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's more.
Speaker 5: I guess is there a certain point or threshold of evidence or something when an add on becomes part of the procedure, you know, like and then how are how are take home baby rates quote unquote reported? Oh you know based on add ons? Like can you do that for a clinic where you say, okay, well what is this add on? How does that change the rate? Versus that? Like, are those things communicated clearly?
Speaker 7: And these questions?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess I yeah, Nah, I don't have.
Speaker 7: An answer to those questions. They're very good questions.
Speaker 6: I really when I'm looking these things up to see what's the data on X, Y and z, I like full disclosure. I used a lot of up to date to get sources. But then I also was looking at Cochrane reviews to see because they do a lot of looking at all of the data that exists and what's the quality of the data. So there is IVF that's being done on the regular through these clinics and then there's IVF that is still being done at teaching institutions and academic institutions where they're collecting data for research on these things, so that is where the data is going to come from to then determine is this new or novel technology going to become a part of standard practice. Right now, all of those things that I mentioned, with the exception of pre implantation testing, which we'll get into more detail on, but all of those other ones that I mentioned are not part of a standard IVF procedure, so that is why they're considered as add ons. And again there are more One source that I found that was very helpful, especially as like a patient facing resource was actually out of the UK and it's a website. I'll link to it on our website, but it had really great pictorial graphics of all of the different types of add ons and what the evidence was, whether it was evidence that it could be helpful, whether it was evidence that could be harmful, or whether there just wasn't really good evidence for it one way or the other. And it had like a green or a red or a question mark or whatever.
Speaker 7: So that was a really helpful resource.
Speaker 6: And some of them, you know, you click on it and it'll say, well, in this particular scenario, it could be beneficial, where in all of these other situations we just don't have any evidence for.
Speaker 5: It, right, I mean, and it's a really interesting thing. But because, like you said, if you've tried this before, or you just want this to do, you desperately want this to work, then it seems like, okay, yeah, you would try anything that you possibly could if you can afford to do so. And then it's it is really interesting because even if we don't have good data now, in the future, we hopefully will have better data to be like, oh, this shouldn't be an add on, this should be part of standard practice, or this doesn't do anything exactly its exacts. Time to get to those things. Yeah, which is still it's just still so complicated.
Speaker 6: It is because you're you're living through you're living through a time where things are changing so rapidly that we don't have all of the answers.
Speaker 7: And that is true for pre implantation testing.
Speaker 6: So pre implantation genetic testing it goes by a few different names. There used to be kind of two different suites. One that was called pre implantation genetic testing, or PGT pg T, and one that was pre implaytion diagnosis or PGD. Okay, now they have split those and they're all called PGT, but then they have different letters after them. So I want to go through what each of them are, because what's important is that the three different main kinds of pre implantation genetic testing are used for very different things, and so the research is actually very different on the utility of these different things. Pre implantation genetic testing PGT A this is the first one, and that's pre implantation genetic testing for annuploid anti employde is when you have a different number of chromosomes than most people extra or one missing. So this type of genetic testing is the type that tests the embryo to make sure that there are the correct number of chromosomes, so it's looking for trisomes or other annuploides. This is things like Edward syndrome or Down syndrome, et cetera. In most of the literature that I read, this is still kind of on the line of a more experimental and research procedure, but it is very very commonly used in clinical practice. There isn't data that it improves live birth outcomes. And there's a lot of reasons that go into this. Part of the thought is that something that can happen as this embryo is dividing. And I'm sorry if this is getting too nerdy, but I find this really fascinating, but.
Speaker 5: Never apologized for being.
Speaker 6: As this embryo is dividing, every time that these cells divide, there's.
Speaker 7: Going to be little mistakes that happen.
Speaker 6: And so as these little mistakes happen early enough on, it is seems more and more likely that what's called mosaicism, so different cells actually having a different number of chromosomes, might be a part of typical embryogenesis. And there are mechanisms in place, because embryogenesis is phenomenally fascinating, that many of these blastocysts will self correct later in development or in some cases, if this was happening, for example, in a uterus, might end in a miscarriage. Right, But when we do pre implantation genetic testing, we're taking so few cells that we can't tell if something is a mosaic or not necessarily, and so what this can end up happening is having false positives and also potentially false negatives. But the false positive seem to be what in terms of like lawsuits and issues that have come up, seem to be the biggest issue because what it leads to is discarding of embryos that could have been viable, that could have been not have an antiploid, which means that you're then dis carding embryos and maybe you only had two or three viable embryos to begin with, right, But the reverse is also true, where you could have a falsely negative sample that could end up resulting in a miscarriage, and so then you went through this whole cycle and thought that this embryo was going to be have a good chance of surviving, and then it doesn't. So it kind of goes both ways.
Speaker 5: And we do we have any numbers on the rate of false positive or false negative I because.
Speaker 6: It varies so much place to place, I don't have I don't have numbers on that. Okay, yeah, but that is kind of one of I think I didn't realize because I had heard a lot about pre implantation genetic testing and I kind of thought that it was just part of the process of IVF, but it isn't. But in a lot of places it actually is, especially if you're over a certain age, it's kind of often offered. Like you were asking, when is this offered as part of the suite. I think it's very possible that that is the way that this will go. But right now, because you only can takes so much DNA, and we only can do so much testing on that DNA, right now, the technology doesn't seem to be good enough to have like a super super high sensitivity and specificity to be able to offer this like across the board as like part of the standard practice necessarily or at least when it is offered.
Speaker 7: It doesn't improve live birth rates.
Speaker 6: Okay, But while this process is similar to it is separate from a couple of other pre implantation genetic testings pgt M, which is pre implantation genetic testing for monogenic disorders, and PGTSR, which is testing for structural rearrangements. These are the types of genetic testing that would be done if an individual or a couple has a very high chance of passing on a known genetic disorder, or if they, for example, we're having recurrent miscarriage and through their infertility evaluation found out that they had a structural rearrangement in one of their chromosomes. So this is what someone who maybe had a history of Huntington's or sickle cell or cystic fibrosis or.
Speaker 7: Things like that would use.
Speaker 6: These are part of the standard suite for people who have those because you're looking for just these single gene chromosome things, if that makes sense. So it has like a different utilization and a different success rate in part because the population that you're doing these testing in is very specific rather than everyone who's seeking out IVF.
Speaker 5: That makes sense, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: So these pre implantation genetic testing technologies have been incredible and still have kind of a lot of work to go. And they also, like you were talking about Aaron, kind of do open the door to some potentially ethical gray areas because these types of technologies are the same ones that can be used for things like sex selection, which means choosing the sex of your embryo prior to implantation. Different countries have implemented different policies on whether or not this is an acceptable practice, and there's other things that pre implantation genetic testing can be used for. It has been used in the past for selecting specific HLA genotypes, and this is so that you can select an embryo that is born that is compatible genetically identical with their HLA type to a previously living child who, for example, has a very severe cancer or something like fanconi anemia. I think that's the example the first time that this was used, or some other disorder where they need a bone marrow or some other type of transplant, so you can choose an embryo that will match that living child and then be able to essentially save that child's life with their sibling. These are things have happened today and are possible because of this technology. And I am not here making a judgment to say that one is right and one is wrong, etc. But all of these different technologies force us as societies to be able to have conversations about where the lines end essentially and where the gray becomes more black and more white. And that is especially true as this technology continues to develop, because the things on the horizon for IVF erin are incredible. Of like what erin, there are three major areas that IVF will go and they're not far off.
Speaker 7: One is mitochondrial transfer. Have you heard of this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yes, have you've heard of the three person IVF? It's incredible. This is transferring mitochondria either from one's own cells, but from like different cells other than your eggs, or from a different person entirely, for example, if you had some type of mitochondrial gene disorder and transferring the mitochondria into the egg and then using sperm to fertilize that egg. And so that's why it's called three person or three parent potentially because that mitochondria could come from someone who's genetically separate from you, or it could come from different cells in the ocite donor's own body.
Speaker 7: But this is amazing.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm sorry, mitochondria like moving a mitochondria from one cell to another, that's amazing. There's more, though, People have been working on inducing adult stem cells like our skin cells, to become sperm cells and egg cells.
Speaker 5: That is wild.
Speaker 7: It is wild.
Speaker 6: This process is called in vitro gametogenesis or IVG. And it sounds like science fiction, but they've already done it in mice.
Speaker 5: I mean, everything sounds like science fiction until it's not right.
Speaker 6: I just think about how in Star Trek in like the sixties, in the original Star Trek, they didn't have sliding doors yet, but all of the doors slid, and so they literally had people standing there and like they physically moved the doors open whenever they would walk through.
Speaker 5: You know, I just I just remember the cell phone, like the transponder or what I can't wrot what it was called, but transponders, that's right, was it transponders? Okay, Yeah, still a few more steps till we get to Star Trek World. But yeah, only.
Speaker 6: And yeah, so this could give someone the capacity to say, generate more eggs if you had poor OS quantity, or if you had cancer, or like, just so many possibilities, right, and then, like you mentioned, Aaron, the improvements in gene editing and crisper technology that opens so many doors for not only IVF, but so many medical conditions that we have talked about on this podcast before as well. The things that people are working on are incredible, and societies are going to have to reckon with what the ethical implications of all of these things are and how we decide that they are regulated.
Speaker 7: And I mean the royalty, not me and you.
Speaker 5: My goodness, Yeah, it really stretches the limits of imagination in terms of like what is possible, what could be possible? Things that I didn't know about until doing these episodes. Yeah, like we talked about, you know, off off camera, uterine transplants. Yeah, just like so many things that have completely open the door, and it's like it's opened the door and a little bit of opening the door to a world of amazing possibilities and a little Pandora's box at the same time in terms of regulation and in terms of technology evolving faster than our imagination can see, like where it will go and how it will be used, And it's just it really forces us to confront sort of our own feelings about these things that we don't know where they're going. And it's not just IVF, it's ai AI. You know, it's like what cell phones have given us.
Speaker 7: You know, it's how much are they listening to me? Always?
Speaker 5: It's they're always always.
Speaker 7: No, it really is.
Speaker 6: It's it's like you said, it's just the it is the ability of technology to develop so rapidly and then come online so rapidly, and us have to then look around and realize, oh, what does this mean for me and for us as a society.
Speaker 7: And who decides that, right, That's the important question.
Speaker 6: And then especially when it comes to things like this is who gets access and who decides who gets access. I read a really interesting paper that was really making an argument for access to infertility treatment and including IVF specifically as a human right. Yes, and it was framing it in a way that I had never really considered before, and it was.
Speaker 7: Just so, it's so interesting.
Speaker 5: Well, and that is actually what if you compare contrast, I didn't really get into this, but if you compare contrast sort of the reception to IVF in the years following nineteen seventy eight, it seemed to, at least from what I read, be more quickly embraced and normalized in the UK, where a lot of the physicians who were beginning to practice IVF, including that team that first, you know, led to the first IVF baby in the world, they really their stance was a right to reproduction right, and it was like, this is a thing that will allow people who are not able to have children to have children, right. And that wasn't really as much in the US. And so I think that like and also, I mean, there are a myriad of reasons why the US reacted differently than other parts of the world in terms of IBF and still does today. And so on and so forth. But I think that has been a really fascinating discussion that a lot of people, yeah, have that I've seen a lot sort of come up more recently too.
Speaker 6: And there's still so many differences in who gets access to IVF in this country versus that country.
Speaker 7: Even in I was reading I don't.
Speaker 6: Know why, but about Italy, their rules that they made in like the early two thousands were super super restrictive, and so then they've had to like work really hard to repeal those to an extreme, and it's just, yeah, it's just it varies so so much place to place still, and that's just reflective of how many different people feel so differently about so many aspects of something like IVF. Yeah, and controlling women's bodies as an example, yes, yeah, but yeah, but that's that is IVF. We've come so far, we have so far to go. I've learned so much.
Speaker 5: We've learned so much, and also there is so much more that we didn't even begin.
Speaker 7: Totally to talk about.
Speaker 5: I think this was for me such a meaningful topic to research about because, like we've talked about, I had this conception of IVF in my head, this perception like I knew, Okay, this is what it was, this is how it worked, all of these different things, and not really it just is layers upon layers upon layers. Even though I feel like we could have done so much more.
Speaker 7: We always will feel that way.
Speaker 5: I always will feel that way. I do feel like this was a really meaningful topic to do, and I am just really appreciative of the amount of literature that exists out there, how many layers are involved in IVF and so many different facets, but especially always coming back to these first hand accounts, and like the incredible range of experiences and emotions and feelings and outcomes and everything that people have with IVF and fertility and infertility and egg freezing and all of these different things that it's like IVF is not just IVF, it is a one million bajillion things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we are just really grateful that we get to do this as a job and talk about these things and learn about these things and cover this topic. And cannot thank you all enough for sharing your stories with us. And I hope that through these three episodes everybody feels like they got something out of this, because I know that I certainly did selfishly.
Speaker 5: Same.
Speaker 7: Yeah, also selfishly but same.
Speaker 5: And if you want to get even more out of these sources, We've got so many. I have a bunch of papers that have more detail on this, but I will also shout out a couple of the books again. One is called The Pursuit of Parenthood by Margaret marsh and Wanda Ronner, and then the other book is called IVF and Assisted Reproduction, a Global History by Sarah Ferber, Nikola Marx and Vera Mackey.
Speaker 6: I will definitely post the link to that website that I mentioned. So many papers from, like the CDC Vital Statistics Report, to papers on pre implantation genetic diagnoses, like so many, so so much data our website. This podcast will kill you dot com. Under the episodes tab you will find the list of all of our sources from this episode and every single one of our episodes. That's where you can find it.
Speaker 5: Thank you to Bloodmobile for providing the music for this episode and all of our episodes.
Speaker 6: Thank you to Leanna Scolacci and Tom bray Foco for the incredible audio mixing.
Speaker 5: Thank you to Exactly Right.
Speaker 7: And thank you to you listeners. We really hope that you enjoyed this journey. With us.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, we hope that you learned something.
Speaker 7: Hopefully yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And a special thank you, of course to our wonderful, lovely generous patrons. We we truly do appreciate your support, like it, yeah we did. It really means a lot.
Speaker 6: Also, do you guys still want like a series on pregnancy because we're planning that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let us know.
Speaker 7: Is it too much? Have we gone too far?
Speaker 5: I mean it'll be like sick months from now?
Speaker 7: So yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah anytime soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well until next time, wash your hands, you filthy animals.
Speaker 2: M