Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour on this Thursday, Dan and the Danist Dan Patrick Show. I want to thank Peacock, our streaming partner. The reaction to our streaming partner has been wonderful since we joined them. Thank you for the support and our radio affiliates around the country. In case you can't watch the show, you can certainly listen to the show. Also, our podcast is one of the more popular podcasts of any sports broadcast, and thank you for your support. Our stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Spend some time with the NBA Commissioner Adam Silver last Home. Touched on a variety of things, including maybe the Saudi's wanting to invest in an NBA team. He said that a group can't, but you have to have an individual who does. We also talked about John Morant and we talked about the report that the second video was a toy gun, and he said, well, he treated the first one as if it were a toy and it sounded like that he's not going to be lenient because this might have been a toy gun. The second video. All right, coming up, we'll talk to Roger Bennett, one of the great voices for soccer as Lionel Messi has decided to join MLS in Miami and or Milan. The Son's looking to cut Chris Paul. It's not official, but there's a chance you could cut him and then resign him for a lot less. This is a salary cap move. Is there a possibility goes back home to Los Angeles? And would the Clippers be interested or more likely the Lakers? And his friendship with Lebron James. Does Lebron want him? You know, at some point you have to go. Does he make our team better? Hey, you're my buddy. That doesn't mean I have to play on the same team with you. What can Chris Paul give you? Also, we spend some time with Chris Haynes from Bleacher Report. We talked about Dame Lillard. He had spoken to Dame yesterday and I brought up some teams, including Boston. He's like, no, no, he is not going to Boston. Maybe the Brooklyn Nets if that happens. I could see that. He did say if he had the opportunity, Miami because he's friends with Bam Adebayo. The game last night was not much of a game unless you're a Denver Nugget fan. Joker thirty two to twenty one and ten. The last time that we had a line of those numbers. You have to go back to Kareem Abdul Jabbar in nineteen seventy with a thirty twenty and ten, Wilt Chamberlain in nineteen sixty seven. Then you have Jamal Murray who went thirty four to ten and ten. So the first teammates to record triple doubles in the same NBA Finals game never happened before. And Joker now has one hundred points so far through three games in the NBA Finals, the fifth player to score at least one hundred. The other ones were Rick Berry, Alan Iverson, Willis Reid and the Greek freak whoa.
Speaker 2: Sad of the day, best stead of the day stat of the day?
Speaker 1: Here comes, here comes that? What stat of the day? I'm wondering about Jerry West. When Jerry averaged forty points a game in the NBA Finals and that was that against the Knicks or the Celtics. Was that nineteen sixty nine? I think he averaged forty eight games was that the Celtics and Bill Russell's last title, PAULI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sixty four to sixty five.
Speaker 3: Jerry West averaged forty point six a game in that playoffs over eleven game span.
Speaker 1: What did he average in the NBA Finals though.
Speaker 2: The finals that year or the sixty.
Speaker 1: Nine Well, I just remember he was putting up these monster numbers and we were talking about Joker getting to one hundred points after three games. I'm assuming that Jerry West, if you're averaging forty, you probably came pretty close to that through the first three games.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got in Jerry West in the NBA Finals versus Boston sixty nine. Yeah, I got him going fifty three, forty one, twenty four and then forty thirty nine.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he's probably after about forty one a game there.
Speaker 1: Do you imagine you're putting up those numbers against one of the great teams of all time, the best defensive center of all time, the greatest coach of all time in Red Arback, and then you don't win.
Speaker 3: In Game one, Jerry West had fifty three points, ten assists. Ah, he shot forty took forty one shots, hit twenty one of them.
Speaker 1: He just played differently. He's the first player I remember him and Elgin Baylor, they played differently than everybody else in the NBA. And you know, Wilt was athletic, and Bill Russell, but as far as skill position players like a guard, Jerry was maybe the first that I remember. Oscar was a very talented athletic player, but I remember Jerry West was playing a different game than the guys he was playing against. They're shooting shots out of the movie Hoosiers, and Jerry's down there, you know, quick dribble and you know, jumping, hitting these jumpers. And Elgin Baylor as well. I saw Elgin the last year and he had suffered a knee injury. I never got to see him as being one of the great great players of all time. He missed out because of the TV era. I saw Wilt at the very end when he was a defensive minded player, and then got to see Kareem when he first came in. I never saw Bill Russell. I was having dinner with a friend last night. We were talking about all the players that I'd seen and all the games that I'd been to, and Russell was the one I did not get to see in person. But got to see just about everybody else in the modern era who's played the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, poem, this is May of sixty nine, Lakers Boston Celtics. I got the game seven box score, and Jerry West had forty two, thirteen and twelve in a losing effort. I was wondering what NBA Finals game or a playoff game had the most Hall of Famers on the court at one time. I would think it'd be like maybe a Lake is Boston from the eighties, but this one had Hailcheck, Bill Russell, Sam Jones, Don Nelson, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain. That's what that's that's six Hall of famers right on the court between.
Speaker 2: The two teams.
Speaker 1: I think it's more than that.
Speaker 2: Probably more than six. Yeah, probably look at seven.
Speaker 1: Well, if you had Sam Jones, Casey Jones, you had Halchak, Heinsen, Bill Russell, Red arbroughn.
Speaker 3: No Tommy Heinsen on this one, okay, But with the Lakers, you had West, Baylor, Chamberlain, Keith Erickson, Johnny Egan, Melcounts.
Speaker 2: Tom Hawkins.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wonder for one of those eighties Celtics Lakers, Bill Sharman was he the head coach of the Lakers then because he played with the Celtics, and I think it was a Hall of Famer as well. But I would imagine, you know, the entire Celtics team, we're Hall of famers. But then you have you know, Bird Mchalen, Parrish, Dennis Johnson, all Hall of famers. Bill Walton was on the eighty six team. Hall of Famer. Casey Jones was the head coach, I believe, or Tommy Heins and and if you're going against Magic, Kareem Worthy, Wilkes or McAdoo, Yeah, both of those guys. Is Jamal Wilkes in the Basketball Hall of Fame, I believe, and Bob McAdoo is yes, wow, and then pat Riley Hall of Famer. I don't know if anybody else. It feels like it'd be Lakers in Celtics. Those are the two most decorated teams in NBA or franchises in NBA history. Yes, Mark.
Speaker 4: The only thing that comes close to me is maybe like heat Spurs in like twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have probably like four on one side, four and the other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, how about this question, which NBA Finals had the least amount of Hall of Famers on all sides, like this NBA Finals, Yokich clearly on his way. Jimmy Butler, I know there's a lot of a lot of postseason people like him, and his story is good.
Speaker 1: I think if Reggie Miller is in, then Jimmy Butler is going to get in. Yeah. They think they're they're similar players from regular season numbers are just okay. Postseason numbers oh okay, trying to think.
Speaker 2: I don't think Kevin loves getting in.
Speaker 1: No, he's not.
Speaker 2: He had a good his first five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah he did. He had incredible numbers in Minnesota. Kyle Lowry's not a Hall of Famer. Eric Spolster is a Hall of Famer, So i'd have Joker. I don't know about Jamal Murray maybe down the road, Uh Auto, let's see, uh, Michael Porter Junior, the third No, no he's not not yet. No, no, no, no, not yet. Aaron Gordon, no, anybody else that's in there. The Spurs had when you had Duncan Robinson, Janobili, Parker Hall of Famers, Popovich Hall of Famer, the heat with Spolster or pat Riley, you had Lebron, d way Aid, Ray Allen Hall of Famers, Chris Bosh, Hall of Famer. Yeah, quite a few of them. Yeah right. Uh, Pritty has a do you have a sports centered tease?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 1: Do you have mock headline?
Speaker 2: Sports on t so?
Speaker 4: Mock headline's kind of mixed in like we like to do as a sports oner tees.
Speaker 1: Are you going to use the phrase messy situation in Miami?
Speaker 2: Very likely?
Speaker 4: Okay, it's just screaming to be used, and as unoriginal as it may be, it is in the mix.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 5: Can I just say, is he going to say? What are they spolstra do guaranteed?
Speaker 6: Wow? You guys could have just written miss for me.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not hard. I've heard it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do call back a couple of lines where needed.
Speaker 1: Any other lines that we think? Is it like live and there?
Speaker 2: I'm not yoking. This is a great finals.
Speaker 5: All right, go ahead to Wyami. Here here you go, here hit the theme, Thanks for humoring.
Speaker 1: Here we go, Here we go, Here we go, Sports Center, Cheeves, time, Frits, everybody coming up on Sports Center.
Speaker 4: A pair of triple double spells, double trouble for the Heat on South Beach. Now, what's Miami's supposter.
Speaker 1: Do to contain Joker and Murray in Game four?
Speaker 4: If things got messy less than on Top Beach, it's about.
Speaker 1: To get even more messy. We'll explain sooners or later.
Speaker 2: They'll get there.
Speaker 4: Props why you should be talking about Oklahoma softball?
Speaker 1: How not to live your best life?
Speaker 4: How one golfs incentive comments left the social media gallery stunned. Speaking of stunned, they shocked the Bruins, So why the Panthers coming up? Snake eyes in Vegas plus hallbearers? Are the Suns saying goodbye to a future Hall of Famer? Well, we're here to say Sports.
Speaker 2: Center, it's next. I gotta tell you I like Paul be Yeah, that's sneaky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, homage little Keith.
Speaker 1: Oh look who's here with NBA Finals mock headline? It's Ryan in Honolulu?
Speaker 7: Hello, had Dan?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I.
Speaker 7: Heard, I heard you want me to be a little less friend.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, you don't have to. I'm just saying I have to take off my headphones because you exactly. That's why I want you to be you Ryan. Oh, Well, that's always going to happen. So I'm all high on the NBA Finals, Dan, I'm Kevin loving it right now?
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, last where okay Braun again, Christian rewarding coach Malone's faith.
Speaker 1: All right, well it's brown brown again. It's spelled ita'st Braun. But that's okay, it's all right, we're just mind it details. Ok all right, here we go, Miami fans, cool off.
Speaker 7: If you can't stand the heat, get.
Speaker 1: Out of the stadium or arena.
Speaker 4: Okay, Jamal, you can eat money, order the triple double.
Speaker 1: Burger, right, all right, you're saving the good ones.
Speaker 2: He's in the hall.
Speaker 8: The joker is Jack of all trades, King of Miami.
Speaker 7: South of Gods.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, maybe they weren't then very good today, Dan, But I had a few nuggets, all right, thank you? All right, I had some nuggets.
Speaker 2: Three forty five am.
Speaker 1: Where he's doing it? Oh, I know, I know, I appreciate. I appreciate Ryan getting up early in Honolulu. Update the poll results. If you can see, okonnor from previous hours or what we're going with this, Dan, last hour we had up there.
Speaker 5: How much better of a commissioner is Adam Silver than Roder Goodell one hundred and ten percent, one thousand percent. We didn't really put that's there. I was just kidding. I was just kidding.
Speaker 1: We're gonna put up there.
Speaker 5: Most people believe that this series NBA NBA Finals is going six games.
Speaker 1: We're gonna throw up there.
Speaker 5: Will you watch more MLS because Lionel Messi is joining Inner Miami, you know it?
Speaker 1: Maybe? Or Okay, I won't. I'll watch the highlights. I'll be curious, you know, maybe his debut maybe, But I I don't know if I'm going to be glued to their terrible team and uh, they're about to get good though, do you think so? Yeah, the three of them coming, you might be surprised. Who else are they bringing.
Speaker 5: Uh, they're talking about one of his old teammates from Barcelona Busquets. Don't say the word, you know, one of his former teammates. Pardon me, pardon me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They talk about Anhilde Maria who could still play a little bit. He's kind of he's a little older, but he could still play. They're talking about him leaving Europe and coming over here to join Messi too. That would be exciting. Actually, the two of them again, okay.
Speaker 1: Are we more excited Messi's come here, or that European Soccer, Global Soccer is disappointed that Messi is leaving Seaton. As our soccer correspondent.
Speaker 5: I don't, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know how.
Speaker 5: I don't know about the disappointment part because I felt like once Messi left Barcelona that was sort of the end of the era right there. And then I think it's Bartholona. Batholona's part of me. Once he left there, that was sort of and his stop at PSG was kind of a joke, and now this is just the next stop in the end of his career. I think Europe is looking at it, so yeah, I don't. I think the US is more excited than Europe is disappointed.
Speaker 1: Is he a better player than Wayne Rooney was or Terrynree when they came over?
Speaker 5: I would say definitely Wayne Rooney. He could still play, There's no doubt of it. I mean, he's older, but he could absolutely still play.
Speaker 1: Plus, this isn't a great league that he's in as far as competition goes.
Speaker 5: It's dropping down a little bit. Yeah, Like I would say mls' is probably like a top fifteen, maybe like thirteen something like that in the world, and I think I think, you know, the French League that he's just coming from was like, I don't know, somewhere like four or five something like that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he should be able to play. Well, we'll get to Roger Bennett menon Blazers, he'll join us. We'll get some more phone calls as well. Let's take a break. We're back after this. In the Dan Patrick Show, Get Refunds dot Com Thank you. I've got a lot of responses from people saying that they didn't know about it. They took advantage of this and they got money back. ERC Tax Refunds Now got ahead of myself here, Innovation Refunds. They helped start Get Refunds dot Com and they are helping small businesses with their ERC tax refunds. These are refunds that you get. Innovation Refunds has already completed over seventeen thousand returns and they've all they I think they've helped clean about five billion dollars in payroll tax refunds for their clients through the ERC. They might be able to help you as well. Takes about eight minutes. That's the process, and then you could be fine if you're going to receive money for your business. And we're talking about construction and retail and restaurants and bars and hotels, and it's small businesses. And maybe you went through the government, maybe you tried to try this and the process can be complicated, but the experience to navigate the process innovation refunds can help you get started. Go to get refunds dot com or download the app from the app stored today. That's get refunds dot com. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Roger Bennett, founder of Men and Blazers, he'll join us coming up in a couple of minutes. Here, I want to bring back the part of the conversation I had with Commissioner Silver on Jahn Morant not having a ruling right now and the report that it was a toy gun in the second video. Is the Jare investigation over. We're just waiting for the finals to be over to announce the decision.
Speaker 6: The latter we are waiting for the finals to be over. I'm aware, of course, of his reports on social media about you know, whether the gun was in fact a gun, and so we haven't completely.
Speaker 2: Wrapped it up.
Speaker 1: Do we have any more on that.
Speaker 6: It's the very issue is for job, certainly in the first incident, was treating a gun as a toy. That's what we're talking about, and that's what I think the danger is to society taking a gun live streaming it, you know, without getting into gun issues in terms of the propriety of owning guns and the use of guns. I think everyone agrees that gun safety is critically important and that guns aren't toys. So it's something that I'm thinking a lot about because again I'm not going to get into the specifics of the investigation, but in fact, if you are live streaming something that to the world looks exactly like a gun and in a frankly reckless manner, should it matter whether or not it's a real gun.
Speaker 1: So that's the commissioner for from last hour. Uh, it's all pending here. By the way, this program brought to you by the great folks Mercedes Benz. They say good things come to those who wait. Mercedespins SUV family proves otherwise, takes no time at all. Set up a test drive your local Mercedes Benz dealer. Learn more at n busa dot com. Jesse in La, Hey Jess, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey gee, thank you for taking my call. Of course, So I wanted to touch on the great merger, and I think it's sports Washington. I think when the details come out, this is just speculation. But I think what's going to reveal is that TIF not not only is not They're not an owner of people or or a team, it's an owner of a league. And that interview with Adam Silver, I thought you did a great job pressing him because it sounds like he's prepping for them coming to the NBA. He was talking very nice, like very nice, a great interview. And I do have a conspiracy for you, Dad, Okay, the conspiracy. The conspiracy. I don't think it's a coincidence that a day after the PGA announcement was made that Messi, who has decided between Saudi Arabia and Barcelona and Inner Miami, chooses Inner Miami. And part of the deal is that he now owns a part of Apple, and Apple is the highest valued American company, like our most formidable competition America has to pis so conspiracy theory, but you know, I don't think it's a surprise.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you, Jesse. Let's bring in Roger Bennett, founder of Men and Blazers, joining us now to the celebration. Here. Messi is coming to the United States. You said it would never happen, Roger, and it.
Speaker 9: Has Donny pay it was a try to listen to the commission of the NBA, who looks like my eldest son. He's so gorgeous. To follow him is an absolute delight. And to be here with you on a day which is for all who love the growth of football in this nation, this beautiful nation. It is incredible, Linel Messi. It's a bit like if Lebron decided so the Lakers, I'm going to go to China. I'm going to play for the Shanghai Sharks. I'm going to do commercial deals all over that great nation. That's what Messi's doing by coming here. Conspiracy theorist, I'm sorry, he doesn't own Apple. He may play in a provisor. That may be, he may play foot. We'll still score a couple of hat tricks, but he's coming. It's a very creative deal to make him come. And I think from Miami it's probably the greatest day in that city's history since Don Johnson discovered teal.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I like that. Okay, how does this effect? What is this effect? Who's this effect?
Speaker 9: Well, America clearly from your last call and now has conspiracy theories about football, which is progress. All right, I mean it's immense. Just to be clear, America's had Pele. You probably remember him that Dan, Yeah, Beckham came here. That is this times one thousand. I mean, this is a gentleman who, yes he's thirty five, but he's the greatest player of his generation. He's just come off what was a bit like in Greek epic times that be poems written about him, the Argentinian World Cup win in December. He delivered glory to that nation. I think they've just finished the bender of celebration that started in the wake of that.
Speaker 1: And this is.
Speaker 9: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean, we're living in a different world. We're living in a wired world, We're living in a interconnected world. Little MESSI may only be five ft seven, but He is a human billboard that is visible from space. We always said the Great Wall of China is visible from space.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 9: But Lionel Messi, what he does, how he plays, where he gets his carne asada, where he walks his giant dog, Send your Hulk. All of these make global news the second it occurs, and it resounds across the world. And for that to happen in MLS, you know, a league that to be candid, needed an identity. You know, the great players were not coming here. They were going to Saudi Arabia is offering oil refineries to any great player who wants to go there. Linna Messi's wife did not want did not fancy bringing up the three kids. Figure yes, so she's like, nah, how about Miami.
Speaker 1: We got an apartment there. And credit MLS.
Speaker 9: You know, the young American players, they're all leaving America. They want to play in the best teams. You know, your policit Cheers, your Geo Rainers, your Tyler Adams. They want to play for the best teams they can in Europe. So MLS needed an identity and credit them. They went out and got the biggest face in the global game. And who will be playing. Ticket sales have gone up like you know, you watch on stub Hub how quickly they shot up to from face value ex. A thousand into Miami's Instagram which was a million this time yesterday. I think it's just top five million. Stadia will be packed. This is going to be the Beatles reforming playing across our nation and kids in all serious dan kids will be able to pay witness to the greatest footballer who have ever seen. I'm not a religious man, but I've watched him player. I've watched him playing Barcelona, watched him play in Paris, and it is spiritual watching this tiny human being who is It's like the Dali Lama in Cleets.
Speaker 1: Where does he rank? Greatest players of all time?
Speaker 9: Christian Poliitic number one and probably.
Speaker 6: Second?
Speaker 1: Okay, all he is?
Speaker 9: I mean here, this gentleman is diminutive. He looks like he's just wandered out of your local super cuts. But there's a there's a great poet in Uruguay, Eduaro Galiano, who sadly died recently. But I interviewed him once and he said, you know, Maredonna played as if the ball was stuck to his shoe to his boot, to his cleat. He said, Lionel Messi plays as if that ball is actually inside his sock. And it is incredible what he does. But it's not just what he does on the field, it's what he does off it. And Lionel Messi going courtside at the heat, Lionel Messi, you know, going down to high fi. Patrick Mahomes before a Chiefs Dolphins game, Jack Harlow jetting in for every single.
Speaker 1: Game in the face.
Speaker 9: That's the circus times a million that we're about to see. And when you project that forward commercially with a World Cup coming here in twenty twenty six, Mexico, Canada, the United States, those two forces together, Dan, all of your fans who are probably tweeting him, be like, no, socker.
Speaker 1: Dan, what is this?
Speaker 9: Remember Jack Kemp didn't die so that this.
Speaker 1: Football could be considered football.
Speaker 10: They're going to be genuinely very disscaying, is this a greater moment for the United States or a a bigger disappointment for Europe or soccer outside the United States that Messi has come come here?
Speaker 9: God, that's an incredible question. Look, the Saudi thing is is slightly insane. The live golf that you've no doubt talked about.
Speaker 1: Game in Saudi Arabia with gathering all these soccer players.
Speaker 9: To own the Dan Patrick Show, to be all of our bosses.
Speaker 1: Dan, We're all gonna work.
Speaker 9: Why are they doing it? Not to get all geopolitical on your ass for a second, but Saudi Arabia, you know the golf, it's a We did a whole podcast series about it with crooked media called World Corrupt. Why would Qatar, this tiny country, won the World Cup? Why would we forgive them the World Cup? Those are the two questions we looked at. And the reality is geopolitically, Saudi Arabia is in a complex place. It has infinite money as a petro state, but it also has a deeply complicated reality. Deeply complicated is doing all of work there, Dan, They murdered Kashogi, the bombing of Yemen, the human rights record that's rationally, deeply challenging to a lot of people. However, sports is not rational. Sports is emotional. When we watch sports, the guitar thing and they'll run up to Katar, everyone was like, oh my god, we must protest and then MESSI run to five players like oh my God, did you see that guitar is amazing? And so by linking formula one, by owning golf, by owning football teams. You know, Saudi Arabia and Newcastle, katar In Paris and Jaman. Manchester City are playing the Champions League final on Saturday. They're owned by Abu Dabby. You can and if you speak to the Manchester City human beings, it's quite interesting. They bought Manchester City on the same day as they spent like I can't remember the number, something like a hundred times what they spent on Manchester City. They spent on a a tech plant in California's about to make chips. And what they couldn't believe was the chip plant was a local news story and a tech story. Minor, minor. Oh this this tech plant sold. The Manchester City story was heard all around the world. And when you buy global football, you are buying the greatest platform to communicate, to rebrand. Oh we're not Saudi Arabia of the Kashakhi bone saws. Do you see our Newcastle? Did you see we've got messy walking. Here's Saudi Arabia's tourist ambassador Ronaldo plays here and that's ultimately they want the World Cup. The short answer is they want the twenty thirty World Cup to be in Saudi Arabia. And the way things are going, what does football like more than anything? Not rationality, not geopolitics, oh money, they.
Speaker 1: Probably would do When do we get Ronaldo?
Speaker 9: Where who's we the Dan Patrick showls?
Speaker 1: Does MLS get Ronaldo?
Speaker 9: Damn Paige?
Speaker 1: Do you want Ronaldo?
Speaker 9: Do you want credim showing it's like a bottle of Dreka on the war come alive in human form?
Speaker 1: Is that what we have? You smelled? Have you smelled Ronaldo? Before I have? I'll tell this.
Speaker 9: In two thy twelve, I was in Donech in Ukraine and in tonight the Euros, the football tournament, and my hotel room I couldn't you know once you hate when you arrive in a city, when you get to the hotel and they're like, sorry, your room's not ready. I was like, so I did the thing?
Speaker 6: You did?
Speaker 1: What my room?
Speaker 9: And they're like, sir, the check in is three o'clock. It's twelve thirty. And finally I made enough of a first that they put me in a room and it was quite a nice room and What happened was Portugal had played Spain the night before, had actually been at the game, and they'd lost, and so Portugal flew home and I walked into that room. I opened the door and my lord, it.
Speaker 1: Smelled of DrAk on the wall.
Speaker 9: It took me months to get rid of the stench of drack on the war. And I said to the hotel manager who showed me in with the key, I said, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, just tuition, maybe yeah? Uh? Is David Beckham officially an American?
Speaker 9: David Beckham is an incredible human being, but is the American? Let's claim him? What is an American?
Speaker 1: And I'm saying, let's just make him, you know, an official American heat He's saved mls now twice LA.
Speaker 9: Which is amazing. I said, there are layers to this story. I spoke to the Great Ray Hudson yesterday. If you don't know who he is, fans of this show, you've probably heard his clips. He's like the one, the crazy commentator, poet philosopher who when MESSI scores used to commentate and say things like he's out of his working mind, He's got a food mixer down his pants, and it's sex beat stuff like that. So I interviewed him because Ray Hudson played in the NASL. He lives in Fort Lauderdale. I call him like Lionel Messi's dad, like that, he adores his human I wanted to get his reaction, and he said, Lionel Messi is about to play on the field that Pelle played on in Fort Lauderdale, that Johann Chriusch played on that Beckham There's a lot of history to this. There's a lot of layers, and one of the beautiful stories I think is that David Beckham did come over here at a time when MLS was really struggling. You know, the thirteen teams, I think there's now twenty nine, and it was his arrival that transformed MLS legitimized. It made many other players think, you know, Beckham can go there. I will too, commercially gave the league heft and the fact that he owns into Miami and was a part of the team who negotiated this deeply complex and creation.
Speaker 1: This was just a simple question, right Drew, Should Yah make America?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was biblical. David Beckham the gat Lionel Messi America. They're both American now, right, Dan, isn't that how it works?
Speaker 1: It'd be He's a great addition. You're a great edition. David Faride, a great edition. David Beckham. Rebecca Lowe great addition.
Speaker 9: She is a great addition. She she's a great American and Dan ultimately twenty twenty twenty six World Cup. Let's play Beckham in the middle. Let's have Planel Messi, Blanel Messi, just you know, playing it.
Speaker 1: It's Lionel, not in America, not when he's American. Here a Lionel.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they'll change his name at Ellis Island. I'll like your Lionel now, So get in there, make something of yourself. It's the American way, Lionel. You came here with nothing, you're now Lionel. We see a future for you in this nation.
Speaker 1: Here he is. Roger Bennett, men in blazers. Great to talk to you.
Speaker 9: Great to be with you, your beautiful human being.
Speaker 1: Thanks. That's right, Roger Bennett. Always great to have Roger on. We appreciate his insight, his passion. Yeah, if you guys are gonna plod on that side of the glass, you got to turn your mihone.
Speaker 11: Roger that.
Speaker 1: We've had a show today.
Speaker 5: They changed his name with Ellis Islands.
Speaker 1: You're Lionel Messy gat make something of yourself. Yeah, let's take a break here. Last call for phone calls, What we learned? I think we learned a lot today, and what's in store tomorrow? Right after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Hey, it's me Rock Parker.
Speaker 12: Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of piping hot baseball talk featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport. Whether you believe in analytics or the eye test, We've got all the bases covered.
Speaker 13: New episodes dropped every Thursday, So do yourself a favor and listen to Inside the Partner with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: Last call for phone Calls, What we learn? What's in store tomorrow. The NFL recruited Tom Brady to deliver a message to players about gambling, and he did it via a video. He emphasized how playing in the NFL is a privilege of a lifetime, stressed that betting on NFL games not only undermines the integrity of the league, but also tarnishes the reputation of everybody associated with the team. And they said, risking it all for a bet is simply not worth It seems obvious. Do you need Tom Brady to remind you? And I wouldn't have used Tom Brady. I would have used Calvin Ridley. Calvin Ridley, it cost him eleven million dollars. Tom Brady hadn't been hurt by this. Calvin Ridley ten hundred dollars and it costs him a season where he's going to get eleven million dollars. He came back with Jacksonville, and part of that his punishment should have been, how about you tell the younger players what you went through, what you did, and how it impacted you. That to me would mean a whole lot more than Tom Brady, who by all indications has never placed a bet. But he's going to be the one to tell you that you don't want to tarnish your reputation or ruin it all just for that, I get that. I don't need Tom to tell me. I need somebody who went through it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'll tell you the most surprising thing about this whole thing is that Tom Brady, I looked it up, does not currently have a betting partner, sponsorship or deal. Do you think a guy like him would have had they were been clamoring for him?
Speaker 1: Well, he was in crypto though. Yes, Matt's gambling as well, Big b L. Yeah. And I think they're all getting sued, aren't they. I think Tom Brady and Shaq Steph Curry. I remember when we were approached on the show about doing crypto and I said no, and they're like, it's good money, and I go, but I don't. I don't believe in it. Why would I tell my audience to Hey, I'm I'm I'm gonna have you buy into crypto. I'm not like, no, I'm not going to do that. A company called pyramid scheme.
Speaker 2: I look at the Ponzi dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if a celebrity is telling you to buy it, it's too late, that's that could be a mantra.
Speaker 1: Let's see, uh, Jake and Washington. Hi, Jake what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey, DP, maybe I wanted to cast my vote for Adam Silver is one thousand percent better human than Roger Goodell.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you, Jake, Well it was it was commissioner, not human.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not human. We only stayed with the it's still a controversial title. Yes, Okay, what else?
Speaker 8: Jake? All right? Uh?
Speaker 11: Listening to you earlier talking about the players you've seen over over your your lifespan and what you've witnessed, and I was thinking a lot about their contracts and what we played now, say players now, and knowing at one point in time these guys were making part time It was a part time job and it became a full time job. Yeah, like a guy like Delton Baylor, what was what do you think he was making? How did he rank in you know, middle class, upper class versus you know what guys are now. And do you think that one major sport led the way for salaries and the increases that we see now that payers being played, Well.
Speaker 1: It feels like baseball once we had the million dollar and then it was three million dollars. I think Nolan Ryan and Ricky Henderson were in there making that kind of money. I don't know the first contract where I went, God, I can't believe they're paying him that much. Baseball it's all guaranteed. Basketball is guaranteed. Football is not. So Football's numbers are always hollow. You're like, okay, they're making that, but are they really making that? Do you remember the biggest contract where you went, oh my god, yeah, pull, I looked at.
Speaker 3: That's just what this guy is saying. Elgin Baylor is a rookie with the Lakers in nineteen fifty six. He made twenty five thousand dollars a year, which was a lot of money at the time. The average American made three thousand, six hundred for a year, so he was making eight times what the average American made. You know, Okay, well that would be if a average American, let's say the average American made fifty thousand, now eight times five four and are thousand downs, that would be the league minimum, less than a league minimum all three leagues.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just had certain players who came before their time that they would have benefited. You know, when we got to the bird and Magic like that's the TV era, that's when the National Title Game. I think that's the most watched national title game of all time. But that was the TV era, and I remember watching Nixon Lakers on tape delay NBA finals. College basketball was bigger at the time. The NIT was bigger than the NCAA. Then it just felt like basketball, bird and magic what they did. And then Jordan came in, and you you had a commissioner who obviously saw the future of investing in individual players, not necessarily teams. Now it's football where we're looking at this, you know, five hundred I think baseball because it's guaranteed somebody is going to pay Shoho Tani six hundred million dollars. That's what that's what owners were paying less than that paying for, you know, franchises, And it'll be worth it to pay him that kind of money with what he'll do globally. Richard and Georgia. Hi, Richard, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: He first time callers Camp five. Nice to take them my call first of all. So last night I'm watching Scarface. After the game, I came up with a way for John Moran to show some real remorse.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 8: So he holds a press conference with Adam Silver. He pulls his gun out as he hands it over to the commissioner. He says, say goodbye to my little friend.
Speaker 1: Right, thank you, Richard. He's unlikely, Yeah, probably get I guess the commissioner probably wouldn't be thrilled with that.
Speaker 2: Where can I have imitation?
Speaker 1: You know, Setan's been working on his joker impersonation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just debuted that a few minutes.
Speaker 1: You did, yeah, out on the basketball court. Yeah, it was, Uh, what do you think Okay does? Does the joker? Where is he among floppers in the NBA minimum top three minimum minimum? Okay, Who's who is number one?
Speaker 5: Well, it depends on who you ask.
Speaker 1: I'm asking you.
Speaker 5: I would say him, but I was trying to be diplomatic. What about Lebron?
Speaker 1: Mmm?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's up there, he draws fouls.
Speaker 1: But but these guys, they're always this incredulous look like, oh my god, like you're not calling that, and it feels like that they The higher up you get, the more you're able to do that, the officials will give you that leeway of like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Like if you're a rookie and you're coming in you're going like that. They're like, you're a rookie, you'll get just built like a like a bear. He's like a bull, you know what I mean. And somehow Jimmy Butler, you know, coming close to him.
Speaker 1: Makes is he is he too big to flop? Is that?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 5: Way too big? Lebron all right, but Lebron is like you can't mention his name and be like, hey, I.
Speaker 1: Saw Lebron in the restaurant walking through the door. Somehow he's like the poster.
Speaker 5: Child of it when here's this gigantic dude that everybody respects, Like, dude, you're too big to be that soft one man just standing there?
Speaker 1: Why are we yelling at each other today? And at the end of the show, Yeah, I'm gonna take this home with me. It's just gonna bother me on the right hot now you ruin we can do.
Speaker 5: It's a good impression, though, I feel like it's pretty spot on.
Speaker 1: How about this day in sports history?
Speaker 3: Pauli wh nineteen thirty four of the Reds became the first major league team to fly from one town to another. They flew from Cincinnati Chicago to play a game. Nineteen sixty nine, the Yankees retired Mickey Mantle's number seven, and in nineteen sixty nine, also the NFL announced that the both the AFL and NFL would have a combined schedule, the first time in their history.
Speaker 1: It was on this date. In nineteen seventy nine, two future Hall of Fame quarterbacks were drafted in the by Major League Baseball teams. Two quarterbacks nineteen seventy nine drafted Marv John Elway, Yeah Blue Blue, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino ooh yeah. Marino was drafted by the Royals fourth round. John Elway's second round by the Yankees. This is the story I did not know. On this date. In nineteen twenty, ed Rausch fell asleep in center field during an argument on the field, and he when he didn't wake up, the umpire ejected him for delay of game. What I'm guilty of that? Sometimes when Todd talks Todd, what did you learn today?
Speaker 4: The jokers not seeking the spotlight effect after games.
Speaker 2: He just wants to FaceTime his horses and.
Speaker 4: Go to bed.
Speaker 1: Discover credit cards do something pretty awesome. At the end of the first year. They automatically double all the cash back you've earned. Cash back from trips and restaurants all doubled. See terms and check it out for yourself. Discover dot Com slash match. Hopefully we made you smile, made you think, and I'm gonna make you come back tomorrow for a meet Friday. Talk to you then,