Speaker 1: Hey, Marine Layer podcast listeners. We're on the lookout for twenty twenty six season sponsors. If you own or work for a business, reach us by email Marine Layer pod at gmail dot com. Welcome to episode number three seventy four of the Marine Layer Podcast. It's our final sit down interview for Mariners Spring training. We will come on Mariner's starting pitcher, Logan Gilbert. We talk about his relationship with Cal Rawley, what do he expects for this twenty twenty sixth season, and a whole lot more. We'll also talk about the continued breakout of Brendan Davis at Mariners Spring training.
Speaker 2: A reminder to you, guys, do us a big favor. If you're listening to this podcast, you can go download these episodes. You can also rate and review, leave it five stars wherever you're listening. It really does help a ton if you do so, go do that. If you're listening to these podcasts, if you're watching, go like, comment and please go hit subscribe on YouTube. That's the best way to support the channel over there. It's free, it's right in front of you. Just go hit subscribe over on YouTube. You can check us out at our website. Marine layerpod dot com. Our merch is all there, which you should absolutely get in front of the start of the season before opening day. Patreon's there. You can find all of our opp episodes there. That's marine layerpod dot com and you can check us out all across social media at marine layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, Hey, welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball Podcast Network, recording here on Sunday evening, March eighth. I'm gonna tell you this, Lyle, for the first time. Over this past weekend, I think I'm getting my real baseball juices back. It's not just spring training anymore. It's not just oh, the weather's warming up a little bit, like these WBC games have getting me fired up, like watching the Dominican Republic or Venezuela or some of these other teams play with the energy that they do. Like it. It gets the juices flown a little bit. It gets you get you all.
Speaker 2: Fired up, well, of course it does. The WBC is sick. If you're not fired up watching the WBC, I'd scratch that's my head at you.
Speaker 1: The only thing about is only one guy who's not fired up for the WBC, which is did you see it? I think it was today he said it, or yesterday?
Speaker 2: Oh do you mean Bryce Harper?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that I mean, that's mostly sarcasm. But he was getting flamed a little bit for it.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I think that was just taken a little bit out of context. I think all Bryce Harper meant was baseball is one sport, and if you play in the Olympics, so many eyes are on so many different sports during that event that to have baseball in that event would be really fun and he'd be interested in it. I think I think people took it a little bit wrong.
Speaker 1: And the Olympics are a more historical event than the WBCD. WBC has only been played five times. Oh no, yeah, five times six.
Speaker 2: I think O seven was the first year, So what seven, ten, thirteen, seventeen, twenty Oh yeah, there's a big break till twenty three. So this is the sixth one.
Speaker 1: Which stacked up against the Olympics, which have been played for centuries at this point. Yes, obviously there's a big difference in sort of the stature of the event, but I think the WBC has carved out its own wonderful Niche for the baseball community. The Olympics would be really nice. I don't think they need the Olympics, though, like they have the event they want. I think all we have to tweak from here on out for this event is when they play it. I think, really that's it.
Speaker 2: Would you be in favor of stopping the season for a couple weeks during the summer.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I don't have money invested in these teams, so absolutely I would love that. The people who are going to have a problem with this are the people who are going to sacrifice two weeks of summer baseball for something else, aka the owners of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you what. We'll get to this later, but you know who's interested in playing in the Olympics? Logan Gilbert log.
Speaker 1: Gilbert mm hmm. We talked about that a little bit in the interview, but that's just a key to stick aroun and stick around and listen to it. I think like the Olympics would be great. I think all those guys will love to go walk in the opening ceremony and get up on the podium with the gold medals around their chest, which you don't get a gold medal for the WBC, you get a trophy, but gold medals are you know, synonymous with some of the greatest athletes of all time, like Michael Phelps. Don't you think it would be cool to be like one on one with Michael Phelps, like on the same level. That'd be pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can win how many medals has he won in a single year?
Speaker 1: He won eight and eight?
Speaker 2: Right, I don't think you can win eight playing baseball, but sure you get a medal like Michael Phelps would.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I think there's only one medal, one gold medal to be handed out. Felps can play in six events. But it's pretty cool. It does have a little bit more notoriety than the WBC does from a historic standpoint. But I just watch all these players play and it's like so clear how much they care. Yeah, so like you don't need. The energy is not lacking, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: The only thing I'll say, and and this is pretty commonplace early on in these WBC games is there hasn't been a ton of nail biders yet. There hasn't been none. I mean, we got to walk off home run from Puerto Rico. Are already in pool play. So there's been a few, but there is a lot of lopside of play that goes on in pool play because some of these teams just can't hang around. I mean, great Britain playing against the US, it just is what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, they led for like half the game.
Speaker 2: That's true, but then the final score was, yeah, got out of hand.
Speaker 1: That's a fair that's a fair point. That is kind of expected from a baseball perspective, like the Olympics are not gonna solve that. In fact, the Olympics might have more teams in it. No, I don't know how many teams they put in the Olympics, but you're right, when you start a tournament with this many teams in it, you're gonna have blowouts. Which is why a sport like soccer, for example, with lower scores, it's not reflected quite as much in pool play. And there's still stuff that can happen. But I mean in the US's first game, high schooler facing Aaron Judge, but he.
Speaker 2: Got him out, got him out, he did unreal.
Speaker 1: So and then uh, and then Manny Ramirez' kid was having a great tournament. Unfortunately he took Gabe Yard. But I mean Lucas Ramirez has been really.
Speaker 2: Good, Yeah he has. Although he's in the Angel System, Oh he is. I think I think so.
Speaker 1: Well that all respect to Lucas Ramirez is not great for his future.
Speaker 2: Maybe the fact he's Manny's son will just you know, rise above all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see. But I've really enjoyed watching a lot of this and I love, I do love the stories that some of these guys. I think it was the guy playing for the Czech Republic. He's he works as like an electrician nine to five. He need to take PTO to come face Team Japan, and he was topping like seventy nine miles an hour.
Speaker 2: It's it's amazing. There are there are so many cool stories all across the WBC, and it's one of the and it's one of many reasons that it makes the tournament so awesome. There are so many unique stories, you can find them everywhere. And then John Smoltz decides to take it upon himself to not shut the fuck up about anti analytics for three hours well complaining about dude, It's like it's the same shit every time he puts a microphone on. It's like, look, he obviously is a Hall of Fame pitcher, and he's actually very good at breaking down pitchers and pitch mixes and when to throw certain pitches and certain counts. My god, man, when he starts talking about like modern offenses and when there's strikeouts in the game, like it's it's nails on a chalkboard, I can't do it. There are not a lot of broadcasters I have that many issues with, Like some people are more picky about their broadcasters than I am. I think most of them are all pretty good. But Smoltz, man, it's like it's I mean, you so clearly have just not even paid a lick of attention to any of the New Age baseball why people use it? And also, forget about that conversation for a second. It's the WBC, Like, why are you having a war on analytics during the World Baseball Classic, Dude? It's one thing during the playoffs the WBC.
Speaker 1: I I'm sure someone's tried, but it's like, hey, John, these guys aren't throwing ninety two anymore. Your average starting and relieved pictures throwing ninety six to ninety eight. Of course, there's gonna be more strikeouts with fifteen inches of run like sorry, Like the ball just moves a lot more now, it's kind of hard to avoid at that point.
Speaker 3: It's and yeah, like the the they've called these teams have collected most of the best available pictures they have to them, so of course guys are going to strike out more.
Speaker 1: Against Christopher Sanchez. But yeah, it's like John, like, guys struck out a bunch against you too.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. Our friends at Cessma's Family Barbecue tweeted this out today. I don't know if it was Jake or Jordan who specifically tweeted it, but they said, can we please please talk about the players on the field and their stories during this wonderful WBC instead of griping about and then all caps the horrors of analytics, the horrors of analytics.
Speaker 1: What And it was a three person booth too, couldn't like AJ steer them away. It's like a different booth, oh different both.
Speaker 2: So that booth you're thinking of, I think they're in Houston because that's the same booth that did the Mariners Tigers playoff series, which is Adam Amin, Adam Wainwright, AJ Persinski Smoltz is in Miami doing these games with Joe whips or No, I actually don't. I don't know if it's Joe Davis. In these rounds, it will be jojos As. I think maybe that's who it was. Yeah, but my god, it's again. I know some people get mad at the national broadcast during the playoffs because it's not your own team broadcasters. I don't mind them. I like them for the most part, but Smoltz like, it's like, dude, it like, at least read about what you're getting mad about.
Speaker 1: Doesn't this make you appreciate hometown announcers so much like we with the Mariners have it so good. They're Goldsmith never afraid to have a conversation about analytics.
Speaker 2: No, I'd be fascinated to see him trying to deal it with Smoltz. And I think they've called games together before. I wonder if he's ever tried thinking about it now, we should ask him about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should. And to answer your question long, I'm sure he has tried.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it went real well. Although to be fair, they're like polar opposite. So I wonder if there was any meeting in the middle, because Goldie loves it Smoltz hates it. I'd have to go back, like four years and listen to those broadcasts. But I wonder if Smolts gave in at all.
Speaker 1: The way to think about this before we get to our Mariners topic of spring training, which we do need to talk about, because there is one clear headlining storyline out of Mariners spring training that has It's been such a cool story. But it's not even like do you embrace analytics or do you not embrace analytics? It's like, are you able to sit down and have an open mind about how baseball players go about playing the game and why something might be the way it is. It's not that you have to agree with it, but it's like, why is this happening? Can we do we need to go find an answer to this question or are we going to sit here and complain about this?
Speaker 2: I think the simplest answer to your question before we move on is this is that all these players of the old Guard, everything they were told about how the game works growing up and what they played through, they're now told is wrong. And not only are they told that it's wrong, they've lost the battle. Like by every sense of the term, the nerds of one analytics and modern baseball is what's controlling the game. Now. It's used in every single front office and it's heavily used to make decisions across the board. So now when you have these old guard players, any chance they get to try to punch back at the system and go back to their old ways quote unquote, they take their chance to do it. And I think every time Smoltz puts on the headset, he feels like he owes it to the old guard to try to fight back and like push baseball back to the old ways, which it will not do.
Speaker 1: Here's what I could use. Do you like strikeouts?
Speaker 2: I mean no from hitters? No, I don't like them.
Speaker 1: I don't either, But we understand why they happen. Reason number one, pitchers throw harder and their stuff moves more than it did in the nineteen nineties. Fact number two, people have found out that hitting for power is more valuable than hitting for average. If you're gonna put everything in a vacuum, in a singular, standalone at bat context, neutral hitting for power is better than hitting for average. So on average, more guys are gonna want to hit for power because it's more valuable. Is it always best in every scenario? No, But average. Yes, that is more better. So yeah, that is why I don't agree with the end result of a strikeout. It pisses me off. The twenty twenty three Mariners pissed me off. They struck out way too much. But I understand why that is.
Speaker 2: Dude, if John Smoltz was the GM of a team, he would have given Luisa Rise Kyle Tucker's contract.
Speaker 1: And he would have said, this is a win.
Speaker 2: It's like the second best offer I had to fight for in the Arise sweepsakes was the Giants offering him one year for twelve mil. Huh, jokes on them. I just got him for sixty million dollars a year.
Speaker 1: But what's funny Smoltz would have seen this down in Houston. Arise wasn't even hasn't even been a contact hitter in this In this WBC, he's been smashing homers.
Speaker 2: Ex actually hit a couple homers.
Speaker 1: Just crazy.
Speaker 2: He will not be doing that in San Francisco, by the way.
Speaker 1: Uh no, the win will. The wind will be knocking that down quite often.
Speaker 2: Not that he has much power to begin with, but yeah, any ball he gets a hold of is coming down anyway. All right. Topics Brendan Davis.
Speaker 1: Brennan Davis has been an overwhelming positive out of Mariners spring training. We've talked about him, I think in a mailbag episode, but he deserves a segment for himself. So let's talk about him. How did he get here, why is he doing what he did, and what kind of role could he play for the Mariners. Let's just start with this. This Mariner's campus. We talked about down there for a week. There's not a lot of overarching, non injury storylines. There's not many position battles. There's not like the young prospects or as established as young prospects are gonna be. So we got to find something else to peak our interest down at spring training. And Brennan Davis is doing a fantastic job of doing that. And I'll give you the number one reason why this dude hits fucking tanks tanks.
Speaker 2: He's got four homers in spring training now, I mean he's crushing them, and even the doubles the's hitting are one hundred mile an hour ex of blows or harder. I mean, I'm.
Speaker 1: Brendan, did I reach you something?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The last seven exit, last seven hits of Brennan Davis's spring training one hundred and eleven mile per hour double, one hundred and nine mile per hour single, one hundred and ten mile an hour double, one hundred and eleven mile an hour single, one hundred and sixteen mile an hour home run, one hundred and eight mile an hour single, one hundred and sixteen mile an hour home run. This dude is hitting the ball with the authority like better than like Cal Rawley. I don't think Cow's hit a ball one hundred and sixteen miles an hour before ever. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Well. This was always the report on Brendan Davis when he was a prospect is remember you, guys, he was a top fifteen prospect in the game. When he was coming up at his peak in terms of prospect status, he got all the way up into the top fifteen. People believed he could be a real impact player and could be a real star. And the thing he has always kept in spite of some really really brutal injuries that he's had to go through, that he still crushes the baseball, and you're seeing it here in spring training. By the way, the home run he hit on Sunday, He's hit some home runs and he's gotten into some baseballs and he's made a name for himself in this camp. The one he hit on Sunday that was off Jacob Misarowski.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good. That was pretty good.
Speaker 2: He's he is now for the spring opsing sixteen sixty one.
Speaker 1: I mean, he leads major League Baseball and extra base hits and total bases this spring training. Now I will pump the brakes on that a little bit. There was a very famous Mariners example of this, Lyle. Do you remember the spring of twenty fifteen. There were two hot shot young players in Major League Baseball who just crushed the ball that spring. One of them was Chris Bryant, who went on to win Rookie of the Year that year and then he went on to win MVP the next year. That was great. The other one was Mike Zanio, who got sent to Tacoma in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did, he did. So you gotta s takes bring training numbers with a little bit of a grand assault.
Speaker 1: But this is a good look for Brennan Davis given all the injuries he had been through. But let's we checked in with a couple of people with before we came on this episode and asked for thoughts on how real Brennan Davis is. So we asked our friend Arm Layton, and Arm says, you know, still love that dude as a prospect, fantastic athlete. Gives his power grade seventy, which is elite, a seventy power grade for a pretty athletic outfielder. And we checked in or the guy Joe Doyle another Just Rave review of Brennan Davis, but how good of an athlete he is and how good of power potential is They gave the same comparison of player for Brennan Davis. They said at this at this point of his career, given the injuries, and an idea for Brennan Davis would be.
Speaker 2: Rob Refsnyder, that'd be great. And by the way, it wasn't all in one group chat together. Arham, who obviously is a co founder and lead prospect writer at Just Baseball is telling us this, and then Joe Doyle's telling us this. So two similar answers from people who you know, weren't intertwining in the same messages. Rob Refsnyder, Now to some of you that might sound like, oh, well, what if Brennan Davis can just turn into the star prospect he once was and figures it all out. That'd be awesome. I don't think you can bank on that. It'd be great, but you can't really bank on it if he was gonna just become a lefty crusher and then you still keep can Zone and Raleigh around for a while, guys who obviously hit right handed pitching very well. Yeah, and in time, that'd be great. If Brennan Davis carves out a big league role for himself and has impact against lefties, sign me up to.
Speaker 1: Be the prospect he was, though he would have to stay healthy. Do you know this. He's never played one hundred minor league games in a season ever. Yeah, he has been through the absolute ringer when it comes to injury, and because of that, to trust him to do anything besides play part time at this point would be far fetched. To be a star prospect, to be the top fifteen prospect he was entering the season in twenty twenty two, where by the way, he was the number fifteen prospect in all of baseball at that point. That was his peak. The fourteen guys in front of him on that list of all debuted. Two of those guys. By the way, we're in the Mariners system at that time. Julio was one and Nuelvie Marte was the other. And if you were to go back a season prior, you could act Kellmick to that list as well. All of those guys in front of Brandon Davis had all debuted except him. He's twenty six years old and has never been in the big leagues. But I'll tell you why, Lyle. Listen to this list of injuries for Brendan Davis. I had it up to but yeah, go ahead. Twenty nineteen right index finger, twenty twenty one, concussion and broken nose, twenty twenty two, back surgery, which I believe is the big one, twenty twenty three, left thigh strain, core muscle surgery, twenty twenty four, broken left ankle. That is every head, chest, back, legs, ankles, hands, it's.
Speaker 2: And this does happen to some guys. It sucks. But this wasn't a Brennan Davis thing in terms of flaming out because he got his big league shot and he just proved to be overmatched. He just has had massive trouble staying on the field. I mean, you said it that is. That's a ridiculous list of injuries. It almost reminds me of that scene in Space Jam where they go to the bench and everybody is like legitimately like unable to stand up because they've been like legitimately like burned in a cartoon movie.
Speaker 1: Right, So we'll see like that is gonna be the question for Brennan Davis this season is staying healthy because just go look at his past four years. I could only imagine what he's had to go through these last four years. Because he's been on the doorsteps of the major leagues for four seasons in a row and is yet to debut. That can be demoralizing for some guys, like it seriously can be. In twenty twenty two, he made it to Triple A with or No even twenty twenty one, he made it to Triple A with the Cubs and entered twenty twenty two. Is a top fifteen prospect, but then he really struggled in twenty twenty two, and he struggled in twenty twenty three. He was better above average as a hitter in twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five with the Yankees. Last year in their minor league system. He was good fifty four percent above league average, was a hitter by w ors plus, but he never played more in that stretch than seventy one games. So like he's just he's got the temptation in front of him to make the big leagues, but he's yet to do it. Will this be the season he finally does it?
Speaker 2: So I think the conclusion here is if anybody's thinking to themselves he could shock everybody and earn himself a spot on the opening day roster. The answer that's no. The Mariners are unless there's an injury, not gonna put Brandan Davis on the opening day roster. Now, you want to circle back to this in June when you see if Brennan Davis has played two months in Tacoma and is he healthy, is he hitting, is he posting every day? Then this becomes a much different conversation. But if I'm gonna guess the Mariners want to see some longevity of health and production down into Coma before they make a decision, and it allows the right field situation to play itself out for a couple months and then if there's an injury or if somebody struggling you can make a change, and I think.
Speaker 1: It would be good for Brennan Davis to get his feet under him in triple A for two months, and that will also tell us how real the spring training numbers are, because if he does what he did last year in the Yankee system, rictually was really good and triple A. He slugged over six hundred triple A for the Yankees, So if he does that again in Tacoma, it kind of works out for the Mariners because they have a lot of lefties on their roster. They could probably use another right handed hitter in their lineup, and there was a role where that fits for the Mariners, and among all the right handed hitters, someone gets hurt, Brendan Davis I think would be the idea to replace that guy. If everything works out super well, like I hope ref center and roeblists work out. We just wought watched Victor Robliss miss almost an entire season last year, and he's also been a guy who's dealt with a ton of injuries in his career, So we'll just have to wait and see on that one. But it's a fun story. Nice guy. Really hoping it works out for him because he's a highlight reel when he hits.
Speaker 2: I hope he keeps going, I do. I hope he keeps it up the rest of Spring Training. I hope he keeps it up in Tacoma. I hope we get to see him this year. That'd be awesome.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool. The Logan Gilbert interview he did was also pretty darn cool. So this is the last of our sit down interviews at spring training. You heard Riz, you heard Cal, you heard Oh, Gabe, God our guy lose in my mind long It's been a long day and Logan Gilbert. I loved this interview with Logan Gilbert. His personality kind of like Cals, has really come out in his time as a Mariner. He's been more comfortable speaking, He's been much more open, and I think it shines the most when Logan specifically talks about his relationship with Cal. I think it's the funniest thing because Cal, as you guys heard in our interview with him, he's pretty stoic and level headed about this, Like he makes like little jokes about about working with Logan Gilbert, but for the most part is like, yeah, I mean a relationship is great. And then Logan Gilbert comes to us and I'm paraphrasing with this when we ask him about Cal, He's like, oh, yeah, he hates all my new pitches.
Speaker 2: Cal will never say it in front of a mic. Logan doesn't care.
Speaker 1: Logan doesn't carry He's like, well, I want to throw these pitches, and.
Speaker 2: He's like, Cal shuts them all down like he's no fun. Is what Logan basically says, all in a joking way. But yeah, Logan's great. Logan, I mean, you don't need us to tell you, guys, is one of the nicest dudes you'll meet when he's off the mound and when he's not in Walter mode. And to get his personalities shining over the years and get to see getting to see some of it on this episode was awesome and it really did cap off like I said, I think down at Spring Training maybe in one of those podcasts. I definitely said it in our vlog that's gonna come out this week, which you guys should go check out. But that Friday down at Spring Training I think was a Mount Rushmore day in our history of the podcast, in Marine Layer pod history, because on the same day we sat down with Cal and Logan and I was like, I don't know how it gets better than this. They probably have to win the World Series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be the Mount Rushmore or of Mount Rushmore days. But yeah, super fun. We're glad we got both of them, and we can't wait for you guys to hear this one. So without further ado, let's get you to the interview with Logan Gilbert.
Speaker 2: Well, we're still here at Mariners camp in Peoria, and we've got a pretty awesome guest sitting down with us. Doesn't need much introduction. It's Logan Gilbert. Logan, thanks for sitting down. This is awesome. Is this hot for you because this is like record hot in Arizona in February because you're from Florida.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it actually is because in Florida, I'm usually there in the winter time. We just had like two freezes come through, so yesterday I felt like I was burning out there.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because I was thinking in terms of you pitching, you've probably gotten pretty acclimated to like the three very different climates you pitch in Florida. When you're training in the off season, it's muggy, it's hot, maybe not as much during the winter. Yeah, Arizona. Right now, it's just flat out hot and Seattle. You know you have a pretty good mix. Yeah, do you prefer one?
Speaker 4: I kind of get spoiled in Seattle in the summertime. It's almost always perfect weather.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 4: I probably prefer that most of the time. I grew up in Florida and never even noticed the heat. Really, the summer is crazy. I would start Sunday games in college. Then I left for a few years, and now anytime it's like this, I got soft. Kind of I feel like, now it's hot again.
Speaker 5: So I don't know. I prefer Seattle.
Speaker 6: Okay, let me ask you this because I was gonna propose a.
Speaker 2: Hypothetical to you, because your year in twenty four versus twenty five, I would say in terms of like the way you got outs was very different. Four you let the league innings. It was like as efficient as could be. In twenty twenty five you were just racking up strikeouts. Right, Let's say you were healthy full year both twenty four and twenty five. Is there a type of season you prefer the efficiency versus the strikeouts.
Speaker 4: I mean, combining both. I would love it, right, that's the perfect answer. I know exactly he's doing pretty well. I don't know, Like if you have to pick one or the other, I guess I would. It's still bad answer, like almost flip flop, where one game you're going eight, the next game you're getting like twelve strikeouts, And I don't know, strikeouts are fun, but also it's it's more work sometimes, Like I love a five pitch inning and get out of there.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 6: That's the George Kirby Bryan woom after right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, they're good at it.
Speaker 1: Why do you think last year, besides injuries, was the way it was in terms of like how you were pitching, not being I think, not being as efficient as you were the year before.
Speaker 5: I don't know. It's a tough question. Really. I don't know if I have the perfect answer. I think.
Speaker 4: There's probably more foul balls. There's definitely more strikeouts contributing. I think I think hitters spoiled more good pitches, and when we get to two strike counts, like we're probably going for a strikeout, which might take you know, two splitters instead of one low slider.
Speaker 5: I don't I really don't have a perfect answer.
Speaker 1: What's weird is the more foul balls thing because you're missing bats at a higher rate.
Speaker 7: So that's like, is that frustrating? It's like, does it make sense?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I don't know. I don't understand all of it.
Speaker 4: That is a good point with this game, like I think I understand a lot, but then lately it's been like the more I know, the more questions I have too that I really don't have all the answers. I'm not as smart as I think I am, so I just try to throw the ball in a good spot and hope they miss it. But yeah, it's frustrating when they do that.
Speaker 1: This has been kind of setting in for me this week. Does it feel weird to you that you're sort of one of the adults on this pitching staff or honestly pitching staff, this entire team.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody said that the other day, and I started to see myself more that way the last few years. But now it's like actually thinking of yourself as the older guy. When I was in my first camp and I looked back to like Marco or whoever. I don't know how old they were, but now I'm kind of that guy. They probably the young guys probably viewed me that way where I still see myself younger than I am.
Speaker 5: I guess so.
Speaker 7: You're not even that old.
Speaker 5: I know, right, thank you. Somebody had to say that, But this.
Speaker 1: Might make you feel old. Low and I were talking about this the other day. How much do you remember about your debut?
Speaker 6: And there's a reason for this question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're curious, kind of like fifty to fifty, it's kind of a blur, but obviously you never forget it. But people do like the lineup stuff from your debut, and I'm not great at that.
Speaker 1: So even besides that, some of like the storylines going into your game. Because we were curious, we got asked a mailbag question about Evan White, and Evan White, I don't think he played last year.
Speaker 7: I think he's retired now.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of heartbreaking how the injuries worked out for him that your debut was his final game, and that's why I found it. I was like, Oh, how convenient was on top of that, that is Jared Keelnick's debut as well. Yeah, in fact, he arguably overshadowed you in that debut based on the prospectime. But do you remember who caught the first out? Of that game, in the bottom of the first inning for the Guardians.
Speaker 2: It was Kelnick's at bat. So first pitch you swung, he flied it down the right field line and it was caught for an out in the stands.
Speaker 7: Do you remember who caught that?
Speaker 5: Caught it in the stands?
Speaker 6: Yeah, like you dove into the stands and caught it.
Speaker 5: Oh, was it Nails? Yeah?
Speaker 7: It was first right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Yeah, I knew we were playing against him. I didn't know that, but yeah, kind of a little hint there with the right field line. I thought he was playing first. But I heard he was the first run against me too. I recently heard that ever, first run I let, our first run to score was Josh Naylor.
Speaker 6: Was he on base for that, fran mil Homer? Is that what it was?
Speaker 4: I don't remember because I thought he hit a homework. See this is why I don't remember it that well. But he might have been.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, crazy, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We were just looking back at that the other day and it's like, what a weird chain of events between you and Kelnick, between having White between Seawald came up that day, good point, and then we see caught Kalmicks out in right field of all places were like wild games.
Speaker 5: There's a lot going on there, a lot going on.
Speaker 6: Yeah huh, So you don't have that much memory of it other than like.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, like the main parts, but not maybe not all the details. I didn't know that was Evans's last game and such a great guy too. That's unfortunate to hear that he's.
Speaker 6: You guys still keep in touch much every spring.
Speaker 4: I would see him for the most part. I haven't seen him this spring, but a little bit here and there.
Speaker 6: You take her with you tinker with any new pitches the spring.
Speaker 4: Yet I'm trying out the cutter again that I threw in twenty four, see if I can throw it in behind counts, and maybe there's.
Speaker 5: A couple of quick outs that I could get.
Speaker 4: I talked in the offseason, like if you're two oh, instead of thinking you have to make three perfect pitches to get somebody out, like wo is a great example of somebody in a behind count that throws one pretty good sinker or whatever and getting out.
Speaker 5: So that would be the idea.
Speaker 4: Still messing around with a sinker and I try to change up, but I don't think any of those are gonna make it.
Speaker 7: You said, I think that you don't tinker as much these days, do you?
Speaker 1: Because you have You've you've essentially found a couple of elite pitches and you're tinkering and your splitter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and not the way I used to. Not the way I used to. Yeah, is it?
Speaker 7: And and that's because you don't feel like you need it as much?
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it's you get to a point you want to be really really good at whatever your thing is instead of always creating something pretty good, Like it's the consistency is what matters.
Speaker 7: What does cal think of those pitches?
Speaker 5: He vetos everything. He hates it.
Speaker 4: Like I would call him in the off season and ask him about all these questions, Like I sent him a long list, and it's always just like a very simple, boring answer at the at the end, he's like, just throw your fastball over the top and keep it straight. I'm like, that's good answer, Like yes, but I'm asking other questions here.
Speaker 2: Are you almost always itching to try and add something like it? Do you almost feel like if you're not tinkering and you're not adding something, but you're not doing it right.
Speaker 4: There's there's a field of that especially in spring training, everybody comes out new stuff and you almost feel like you can get left behind if you're not. But half those things don't work a lot of times, and I've been on the other side of that, so you got to remember the consistency is what matters most. And I did a good a better job this offseason at prioritizing what matters. So my curve and slider performed a little lower last year. So those were my big not even refinements because it's so small, but trying to get those better. And then also like secondary, working on a cutter or whatever it is.
Speaker 7: How many arguments do you get to win against.
Speaker 5: Cal spent a few years, probably was last one.
Speaker 1: If you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not much. Honestly, it depends if I'm pitching that day. I usually win because he he kind of purposely lets me. But if it's not my day, then it's then it's about him. So he's pretty good about that. So in spring training you have no, say.
Speaker 5: Not much, not much.
Speaker 4: He hasn't caught me yet, but when he does, I'm gonna take the pitch com I'm planning on it, so just to upset him a little.
Speaker 6: Bit, Do I remember, right, and you can tell me if this story is wrong.
Speaker 2: Were you toying around with a splinker last year trying to do the whole Paul Schemes thing.
Speaker 4: So in a way, it's a little different than what they're doing. And that's the sinker that I'm throwing now, But it's not like so it's it's like a one seam that I'm spiking the index finger. I haven't seen anybody actually throw this pitch yet that I'm aware of. You could throw it in the splinker category, but they're almost like a wide and two seam. I'm actually it's a it's a fastball that I spike my index finger. I'm between like I figured something out that nobody else has, or there's a reason that nobody actually throws it like this, so like it your finger.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a practice pitch right now.
Speaker 6: I thought, I.
Speaker 2: Remember, and this story could be wrong, that you were toying around with something like that last year, and then Cal essentially tells you absolutely not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I threw one in a game last year, So that's there's an easter egg out there if anybody can find it. But I finally got him to call one throw a ball and that was.
Speaker 6: The last time speaking of that.
Speaker 2: How fired up were you a couple of years ago when you convinced Caw to let you call your own pitches that last game of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was fun. I'm still kind of surprised he let me. Also glad that I've worked out well, because I never would have heard the end of that if I was calling pitches. But I will give him credit. I only called a handful, like a quarter of them. Probably if I didn't specifically want something, I let him call it.
Speaker 2: So, I mean I looked at the final lot of that start. I think it was five and two thirds shutout with seven punch outs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not bad.
Speaker 1: You were tired pretty good the first like you held the first seventeen batters hitless, right. I think I saw the quote after the game was I was gonna let him call pitches until he gave up a hit and then I was taking over.
Speaker 5: Cal said that, Yeah you didn't. You didn't and you didn't give up a hit. It worked out. Yeah, Yeah, that did work out.
Speaker 7: How has your relationship with Cal evolved over time?
Speaker 5: Uh, it's been great.
Speaker 4: I mean we've been tight ever since we got drafted and it's been awesome just watching like seeing who he was and everything, and also seeing this whole thing over the last couple of years what he's turned into and also just per him staying the same, and like, I think everybody wants to know kind of what that does to a person, but if anybody can handle it, it's him and he's showing that. But it's it's been really cool just how we've gotten so tight and how much he's taken off.
Speaker 2: Have there run all these arguments ever since you guys were in draft camp together.
Speaker 6: Did start all the way back in the arguments?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Like did that start all the way back then?
Speaker 4: I think there's a period before, you know somebody where you gotta be a little bit more nice. But we both saw that the other person can just like have an honest conversation and take whatever needs to be said. So we're really not doing it that much, but if something needs to be said, like in a good way, we're very able to have those discussions.
Speaker 7: Wendy two you what do.
Speaker 1: You think you two really came into your own as as friends as teammates as this battery.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: I think, Hia, we had a really good connection there. Double a you're kind of getting your feet set, and then the season ended. Then we had the the COVID year and whatever, so hia, we had a really good thing going and then it was kind of a weird year or two. We're still definitely tight and on the same page, but then like then you have to get your feet set in big leagues too. We both had a little bit of trouble at the beginning, so it's kind of like there's a lot going on there, but hi A And then also, like I would say that the second time it happened is like in twenty two.
Speaker 1: Probably are you guys competitive with anything else besides baseball, like a different sport, a different hobby.
Speaker 5: Golf a little bit. He's much better than me.
Speaker 4: It's tough to find something you're like also both good at. He is competitive and pretty much everything. But now I guess, I guess that's kind of it.
Speaker 6: Is there anything you're equally bad at?
Speaker 5: Oh, equally bad at? That's a good question.
Speaker 6: And I've seen you shooting hoops or either of you guys any good at basketball?
Speaker 4: I'm I'm not great, and he's he played in high school. He's pretty good, So yeah, he's probably better at most things than I am. Don't let him see that part.
Speaker 2: Was he always well, he was quieter. I remember when he came up. Was he like that in the minors too, before he started to kind of come into his own.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so. It takes a little bit.
Speaker 4: But he's also like not like a shy reserve, just kind of like going about his business and says something if he has something to say. He's just not out there talking all the time.
Speaker 1: I'm curious for you because we've talked about this a bunch. You're a free agent in two years and there's a potential big lockout coming up before the start of next season or once this offseason arrives. Do you think about that much as it pertains to you know, what you think about from a contract perspective, from as a player perspective it from us, it sounds really complicated thing to think about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like if we missed that.
Speaker 1: Season or yeah, I mean I don't think you guys are going to miss the season, thankfully, which is good for you, but I imagine it throws like a wrinkle in knowing like perhaps the system will be different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it definitely could be, and how things are structure and then how much like negotiations you could have in a potential lockout next offseason, Like, if we could get something done this year, that would be amazing. Next year, it seems like there's a ton of other stuff going on, so then it's gonna be way more complicated, like you're talking about it than free agencies right after that. So, in a weird way, I don't feel that close until we start talking like this, and then it's like, oh wait, I'm not like a second year guy, like free agencies kind of around the corner.
Speaker 1: Right because like hypothetically, if you and the Mariners were going to work out an extension next offseason, we guys can't talk until there's a CBA.
Speaker 7: It makes things kind of difficult.
Speaker 5: It is difficult, and then once the.
Speaker 1: Season starts, I don't know, if that's not something that would be at the top of your list, it would probably be pitching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, there's a lot to work around there.
Speaker 2: It's tough, very very interesting, and not an easy question to answer by any stretch. Yeah, So let me pivot to something else, because we were talking about the other day about a little bit about the World Baseball Classic and calgoing and we were also talking a little bit about the Winter Olympics, and you mentioned that when the Summer Olympics next comes back around, like if the opportunity were to present itself, that that's something you think would be really cool if like if pro players are playing it. Yeah, but you'd be open to why are you so interested in playing in the Summer Olympics If it's presented, I.
Speaker 4: Think it would be good timing for me, like kind of in your prime pitch for a while, so you have a little bit of notoriety in a sense. So I think it would line up well. And so this is me just advertising for myself to hopefully get a shot. But it's always been a dreammind. I always wanted to play USA, never got the shot. I was close in college, still never did it. I think it's just like the ultimate, it's the pinnacle one the Olympics two representing your country. I know I'm going to watch the Classic and like just be dying to be out there seeing the other guys.
Speaker 5: But it's gonna be fun to watch.
Speaker 4: But also I think motivating in a way that if I got that opportunity, it's it's a once in a lifetime thing.
Speaker 2: Do you think major leaguers will be open to playing in that in a couple of years.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I sure hope, so. I think there's a real possibility that it could happen. There had to be some creativity for sure, but I think it's on the table.
Speaker 1: Right The league would have to be bought in on that too. Yeah, you guys should probably need some games off for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a length and break, all Star break. I don't know when the Olympics would be, but they'd have to change something up.
Speaker 1: As a pitcher, I the concern with pitching in something like this is getting hurt, and that's I think the main concern for guys going off to the.
Speaker 7: WBC just next week.
Speaker 1: If they had it in the middle of the season, would all the pitchers feel more comfortable?
Speaker 7: Do you think the teams would feel more comfortable with this.
Speaker 4: More ramped up Yeah, I think so, I think so. I don't think it's that much different. That is a big concern early on with the WBC and spring training. I remember the All Star Break, I tried to take my days, so I took like three or four days off throw and came back last year touch and feel before my next start and that was the worst I felt all season because I took three days off throwing. I came back on the mount and I was taking it super late, but it was like eighty eighty five, like, oh my goodness. But then right after that one, I'm back to normal.
Speaker 2: Ooh.
Speaker 4: I'm one of those guys that if I stay throwing, I actually feel better than taking a couple of days.
Speaker 6: What did you do during those days?
Speaker 2: During the All Star break, like you're mentioning this past year, do you just not go through your routine?
Speaker 6: Are you just relaxing?
Speaker 4: I used to my first couple of years. I would like I have to stay on it. And then some older guys told me, like, if you have days, you have to take them because you're gonna you might regret that later on in the season. Even if you feel more tuned up by taking those days, you could regret it later on. So now I'm trying to take my days. I try to throw one day, like have a normal workout one day, and then on the front and back end take my rest days.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you about this water ball you've been thrown with in spring training?
Speaker 6: Is it anything?
Speaker 2: I mean, first off, I don't know if I've seen many people use something like that. The only thing that really comes to mind is going back to Paul Skins. He uses that big water jug on his back and he's using it for rotation. Is it like a similar idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, very similar.
Speaker 4: And I use the bag too, not on the back but in different workout ways. But it's about the stability of the ball, having like unpredictable forces in your body, having to take the slack out of the system to stabilize. I don't understand it at the highest level like the people that in the off season, like my trainers and stuff, but enough to know what I need to do and how it makes me better.
Speaker 1: Last thing for me, Logan, you guys have incredibly high expectations this year. I think everyone around camp thinks you guys can achieve great things. So what would it mean to you for being here as long as you have to win a World Series here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's huge, and I mean that's the goal and the expectation this year. And it's cool to still be here, like the whole rebuild, the whole process kind of seeing the front end all the way to now you and getting so close last year, like I just want to see it through like I want it to I want it to happen. I see the team we have, I see the farm system, like we're gonna be good for ten years, Like if everything goes right, everybody stays healthy, there's a lot of stuff to it.
Speaker 5: I want to be there. I want to see it through.
Speaker 4: I want to It just feels like you need that closure that every year we've gotten so much better, like this is the year to do it that I think we're going to.
Speaker 6: Did you get to see any of that Seahawks parade after they won.
Speaker 5: Yeah? I saw some videos of that. That was super cool.
Speaker 2: I honestly believe, for as awesome as that was, that it's going to be only leveled up if they win the World Series. People love the Seahawks, yea, but I think it's just going to be a different breed.
Speaker 6: I've heard a.
Speaker 4: Couple of people say that, and yeah, I mean, take nothing away from them, but I think people are just itching for the baseball to actually have that final breakthrough and we're nearly there. But credit to the football team. They're good all the time, They've won the Super Bowl before. We want that to be like them. We want it to be normal, but right now they're just itching for it.
Speaker 2: It's awesome, Logan, this has been a blast. Thanks for sitting down man. We cannot wait to watch you this year and continued all the successful world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I appreciate it, guys, Thank you.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Logan, Shout out to what was a really really fun crop at interviews that we got to do down at spring training. Biggest thing you took away from the Logan Gilbert interview was what I think.
Speaker 1: It's cool that he wants to pitch in the Olympics. That is amazing to hear. Given the opportunity, I think it would be amazing, especially with it being here in the United States in a couple of years. I also think, and this might be a more general observation from all of our interviews, especially with the three players, these guys kind of highlight just how good of a group this is. And I like you guys take our word because most of you don't get to interact with these guys on a regular basis, but we do, and we come on here and talk about how nice this entire group of Mariners is. These three guys we interviewed encapsulates all of that they are the leaders of this team. They're established, but they're also just genuine, nice, down to earth guys, and I think it comes out a lot in this interview. And also, by the way, very motivated to.
Speaker 2: Win, very driven to win, very and that should fire everybody up. And Logan's comments about Yeah, I sent Cal along list of things I wanted to throw this offseason. Then he shut it all down. That was kind of what we were referring to about Yeah, Logan's got ideas. Cal says, no, it's kind of how the relationship goes.
Speaker 1: So no, I'm just gonna say no.
Speaker 2: The Logan does, so it's fun. By the way, quick note, apparently I'll never be crossing my legs in any interview ever again, because a lot of people have been really mad that I was doing that in a couple of interviews. I didn't know any better. That was just how I was sitting. Apparently never again.
Speaker 1: People were very consistent with that too every interview.
Speaker 2: Again, I didn't think much of it, but apparently I'll never do it again. So to everybody I offended, I'm sorry, I'll be better, I guess.
Speaker 1: So how about going forward? Just cross the ankles at the bottom.
Speaker 2: Sure, or I'll just not cross anything.
Speaker 1: I guess better safe than sorry at this point.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, let's go with that all right. That just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast. You guys know the drill. If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio, make sure to download. If you're listening, go rate and review five stars. It helps a ton if you do, go like comment and hit that subscribe button over on YouTube. Subscribing is free. It supports the channel a ton. You can also check us out on our website marine layerpod dot com. Go get your merch sign up for our Patreon. You can find all our episodes of our website that's marine layerpod dot com, and you can check us out all across social media at marine Layer Pod. That's TJ.
Speaker 6: I'm Lyle.
Speaker 2: As always, thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.