Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Joining us now is Blackroft, chief investment Officer of Global Fixed Income.
Speaker 3: Rick Reader.
Speaker 2: So, Rick, the unemployment rate goes down, but a surprise contraction in jobs. Last time we spoke for last month, you said the employment picture is stable, broadly unimpressive. Has your assessment of this labor market change since then with these numbers in hand.
Speaker 1: No, broadly not impressive. I think it is the right terminology. In fact, I I was thinking about it. I think it's actually remarkable how unremarkable the data is.
Speaker 4: Listen. I think you know when you look at you.
Speaker 1: Know, people say, well, gosh, we're not hiring many people because we have a supply issue, and you saw some of that play through today. But that being sad, you're not seeing any wage growth, so meaning there's not that demand for labor that you would expect when you got an economy that's doing as well as it's doing, and.
Speaker 4: We're going to grow.
Speaker 1: I think you're going to see six percent nominal GDP. You've got corporate top line revenue that's strong, earnings are strong, but you're seeing operating leverage for companies kick in. Like you read about I mean, you look at all these earnings reports, particularly in the tech space. Companies are growing, they're spending immense amounts of capex, but you're actually cutting people in many cases. So anyway, I think we're seeing a productivity revolution, and I think we're watching it play out month in a month out. I mean, to have only twenty thousand jobs on a three month moving average strip about healthcare, you having negative job growth on and aggregate. So anyway, I think it's I just think we're going through I think when they summarize the years from now, they're going to you're going to witness something that is productivity.
Speaker 4: People say it's Ai kicking in.
Speaker 1: I actually think it's just been a an ethos around companies growing their business and seeing how you can operate without that much employment.
Speaker 5: Well, also, you've got the fall in immigration that is probably contributing to these big declines we're seeing in the labor force. But the people who want jobs are apparently getting jobs with unemployment at four point one percent. So I assume this tells you, as well as the FED, that we don't have a problem with the labor for sight of the mandate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think that's right. Mike.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I've been pretty outamant, but I know link the FED needs to hike and A I don't think you really will solve the inflation dynamic. Part of why I think these task forces will be so powerful as you'll get into what are some complex subjects. When you break down inflation today, you look at the difference between services and goods. You think about what's still sticky and inflation, education, healthcare, insurance. So as you're moving the overnight funds rate up, really do much and you get to the point being if you're restrictive on rate and you're driving mortgage rates higher, I just don't see that as really effective trying to bring inflation down. You've got what I would argue is, yeah, maybe it's an okay labor market, but you know you still need in a particularly way of this much debt on the country.
Speaker 4: You need to grow faster, you need to put more people to work.
Speaker 1: And I think that to me is the is the philosophy that the FED has to employ today.
Speaker 2: Well on the inflation side of things, Rick, I know you've been a big proponent again, and the type of inflation we have isn't something that's fixed by hikes, but perhaps by policy, not monetary policy, but fiscal policy. Well, what is the policy you think that could start to eat away at inflation?
Speaker 3: Is it just like ending a war basically?
Speaker 1: I mean, listen to war is a big deal element obviously, not only do you get higher prices in terms of fuel, but you're you know, there's a transmission effect through that when you talk about obviously trade getting slowed somewhat. So I know why the war is a big deal obviously, So that will will change then the dynamic and people will focus on tariffs, you know, the goods inflation. You know, the US economy is not that large of an importer of goods. So yes, and I think people got really worked up about that last year. So what do you do and how do you create fiscal velocity? You know, there's a bunch of things you could do, and I think, quite frankly, deregulation is powerful. I think the idea around how do you help with housing things like zoning, permitting, et cetera. How do you get like some of the stuck student loan asset reliabilities on that young people have. How do you transition some of that? How do you help with some of that. I think there's a whole series of fiscal dynamics that can help with inflation. But I don't think moving the overnight funds right will really do it, and we've seen that before it doesn't really have that much of an impact.
Speaker 5: I guess I would ask you then in that case, because I agree that there's probably not going to be anything happening on the fiscal side because they can't even vote on an attorney general at this point, and the FAD is maybe leaning now towards a hold in September. We'll see after the Wednesday CPI report. But that leaves us with an inertial economy, And what do you think happens to the economy if there's no movement on the fiscal or the monetary side?
Speaker 3: Come in?
Speaker 1: I think, I mean, you're unbelievably good at dentalyzing this and I appreciated questions you ask a TFMC meeting, etc. On thing I will say is I'm not sure I agree with the inertial concept. I actually think the economy is operating at an amazingly strong level, and you look at the CAMPA, it's obviously a big driver of that. That from AI that's getting into you know, straight growth of the economy in so many different forms. And then you look at consumption today. Consumption you see this, you know, particularly in areas like leisure and hospitality. You see this in some of the transportation dynamics in terms of travel. Listen, the economy is operating an actually thing that was pretty amazing to me in the last two months, and some of you had a fiscal tailwind, but the actually had lower and middle income that was actually starting to accelerate. And we see that in all of we use a lot of this high frequency data. He actually saw consumption a pretty good place. So listen, I think the economy is operating an extremely solid level. You know, you would think in the second half of the year you'd start to moderate a bit post a fiscal tailwind, but boy, you know, you see this, I mean, this is this is a pretty amazing quarter of earnings reports that not not not not a pervasively across every single company or industry.
Speaker 4: But boy, I thought it was pretty darn good.
Speaker 1: And you know, part of what we look at the equity market and having a pretty good run, particularly recently, you're actually looking at multiples that are coming down because these companies are earning so fast. So anyway, I'm pretty enthusiastic boy where the economy is today.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming that that enthusiasm over equities translates into your world of credit. Rick, you have Bank, of course, a fun that has been outperforming the broader benchmark by a healthy clip for the past few couple of years. I know last time you join you express skepticism on USIG credit. You like caring higher income. I think all of this is so interesting time at a time, Rip, where as you point out, so much is happening because of AI, especially in debt, with the huge issuance we're seeing from the hyperscalers. We've got another twenty five billion that this market easily took up from Google just this week, and at the same time we're going to get more issues from the Treasury next week. What are you thinking about where you want to place bank just given the sheer amount of issuance that continues to hit this.
Speaker 1: Market, Dan, I als say one thing about you know, because you've had a backup in rates, you're able to hit your yield target. So I mean talk about we're hitting almost seven, I mean six, you know, high sixes in terms of yield, and so a couple of things we've been doing is you actually don't need to go down in credit quality. You actually don't need to go that far down in terms of the liquidity in the portfolio.
Speaker 4: So you know, we've been keeping it.
Speaker 1: You know, we've been adding a bit in terms of European fixed income. You know, I think emerging markets are interesting, particularly if you assume the dollar is not going to be not going to be moving aggressively. You made the point, right, I think investment great credit give the amount of supply we're going to see data center hyper skill or investment credit credit's not that interesting at all. But in the securitization market, you know they securitize assets both in commercial real estate, abs REZI. You know that that those markets are in pretty good shape. So you know, we're in an environment we don't feel like we've got to stretch a lot. You know, these real rates that today give us an amazing ability to keep our yield up without really stressing. We're running bank now with an average rating of a you know, you're hitting high sixes, like that's pretty good today. So we're trying to be in bonds we're trying to be as boring as you could be, and you know, take the risk in equities, which you know, I have a little bit of volatility to them, particularly single name.
Speaker 5: A little bit less risk maybe in the bond market, but there's such an at the appetite I guess I would say for debt, for the hyperscalers, et cetera. How's that affecting how you can sell all of these bonds. I was really surprised yesterday with the Google alphabet offering that it was so oversubscribed.
Speaker 4: You know, Mike, we're living through something.
Speaker 1: And so one of the real benefits to all the financing that has to come Data Center, Hyperscaler US, Treasury, UK Japan is we're actually going through a pretty historic demographic that is supporting this demand for yield insurance companies, life insurance, pension. So it's amazing if you price assets right on the dead side, you can place an awful lot of Now that being sad, I mean, the hyperscalers have clearly widened quite a bit, and so you're getting the.
Speaker 4: Levels I say, these real rates.
Speaker 1: If you're a pension today and think, gosh, I can defease a good portion of my liability stream. At these real rates, it brings a lot of people in, particularly if you get some spread on it and you're watching that play out, I would say, one thing I'm in, the supply is not going to stop coming. And you know next week we get a lot of treasury supply. So you know, in terms of interest rate exposure, we feel like we don't have to be in a rush to add a bunch of interest rate exposure.
Speaker 4: And just like clip coupon.
Speaker 3: All right, Rick, you're going to stick with us.
Speaker 2: We have to see how this market opens up, and would love to get your commentary on a continued market reaction. So Marcus overall are rallying, as are this bond market led by the front end as we get rate hipes price out. We are back with black Croft, Chief investment Officer of Global fixed Income Rick reader.
Speaker 3: Rick.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this basically takes, in your view, a hike off the table. I wonder about cuts though, because when we had spoken about a month ago, you said, perhaps we've still could get cuts in the back half of this year. Do you think that's still a possibility.
Speaker 1: So listen, I mean, I you know you still have a FED committee that is uh, that is generally hawkish. You still have a committee that is more focused on inflation than the labor readings. So listen, I mean, I think I think you could. It could still happen. You'd have to see some deceleration in the economic conditions.
Speaker 4: You'd have to see.
Speaker 1: You know, we think core PCE is going to come into the into the high twos down to the high twos next year. We think we're going to get in the mid twos. Can you still get it done this year? I think so? But it listen, I mean, I think you have to One thing I've learned about investing, it's not what you it's not what you think they should do.
Speaker 4: It's what they're going to do.
Speaker 1: And today the structure of that committee clearly is in the we're going to fight inflation and and use the rate tool to be that that tool. Do you get there? So listen, I think they still could. I just think hiking doesn't make a lot of sense today.
Speaker 5: Interpret Wednesday for me, though, the CPI we saw a big drop in market expectations, sort of a need jerk move after the labor report. What's it going to take to move one way or another in the fixed income markets on Wednesday with CPI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great question, Michael.
Speaker 1: And so you know you've gotten a couple of softer prints on inflation recently. You know, we think we're in this mode of getting point two's type of type of numbers when you look at Core.
Speaker 4: And and you know even you know, I was.
Speaker 1: Looking at the numbers for Core PCEE maybe a little under the point two monthly reading. So you know, listen, if you got something significantly aberrational to that, you know, that would certainly move markets. Listen, if if the number came in significantly higher, which would be incongruous with what you've seen over the last couple of months, Listen, you know it's the FAG going to be on alert for that. Yes, I think so, you know, you know it's better than anybody and I think this, I think this. You know what the chairman has stated, what Chairman Wars has stated, it's not just one number that he's laser focused on.
Speaker 4: He's looking at the pet and happily of.
Speaker 1: Readings and our senses, inflation is slowly moderating. But it'll be interesting to see those report, like you said, that comes out Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I do wonder Obviously, yields are coming in now, but we have had a thirty year yield that has been stubborn and stubbornly moving higher above five point two at one point. Now it's obviously below five twenty. Do you think that this market is at all reflecting its concerns about credibility over the FED and chair warsh?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm a little surprised that the at the concern around you know, whether it was the last of them CE meeting or you know, you know, some of what I.
Speaker 4: Thought was a little bit harsh on credibility.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, I think reduced forward guidance is not terribly intimidating from to market participants. So you know, I don't really think, you know, can we get more from the FED in terms of the metrics they're looking at in terms of the structure of what is going to be important to them going forward? I think so, And I think we'll get more details around that. Listen, any I think it is we're getting a lot of supply of products. You know, you're pushing real rates up because you're getting a financial transmission that is historic in terms of whether it's fiscal supply that's coming from not just US, but obviously you know pressures and whether it's UK Japan, plus the amazing amount of supply we're getting into the credit markets.
Speaker 4: So I think it's more that than it is anything else.
Speaker 1: And like y'all have said, I mean, we still have some stickier inflation that is keeping these rates up. So anyway, those are where I would put the what's the influences?
Speaker 2: Hey, Eric, just super quickly because we're about to talk to our tech reporter. I love about all the AI debt coming and we talked about it just a moment ago.
Speaker 3: You talked about what it does with the IG market.
Speaker 2: Do you think it changes the attractiveness or the pressure on the treasury market at all? Getting all that supply from the AI hyperscalers.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean when you whenever you push that much supply on the market, you think about there's a crowding out effect. I mean, listen, the US Treasury is still the behemoth in terms of issuance, but you know, you take what's coming in IG set backs on the backside of it through data center. So yeah, I just think we're getting a lot of supply and all markets, including government bonds are reflective of that.
Speaker 2: Hey, Rick, we always appreciate your time, especially on a job's Friday.
Speaker 3: Black Rocks Rick reader