Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jets Podcast.
Speaker 2: I Eat, Breathe, and Sleep The New York Jets.
Speaker 1: My team that is a tightrope walk across Niagara Fall.
Speaker 3: That's hard to do, say name of inches, So finding that one little inch to be successful, it all matters.
Speaker 4: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good. Shop Game Day Ready, jewelry styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody. This week on the Jets will bark on their first draft with GM Darren Mugy and head coach Aaron Glenn. The organization will also celebrate the twenty fifth anniversary of a franchise altering draft class. The Jets became the only team in the Common Draft era to make four first round picks. Bill Parcells and personnel director Dick Haley drafted defensive end Shawn Ellis, edge John Abraham, quarterback Chad Pennington, and tight on Anthony Becked. Ellis, a Tennessee product, went number twelve overall. Abraham has starred South Carolina went right behind at number thirteen. Pennington was taken eighteenth, and Becked went twenty seventh. While the four first rounders were unprecedented, the Jets also got a fifth ace in the two thousand class when they selected wide receiver Lavernias Cols in the third round. It was Woody Johnson's first draft as an owner, and the Jets grab five players who would line up in forty two playoff games for the Green and White, plus five hundred and fifteen regular season contests. On this very special installment of the Official dut podcast, we look back at the jets historic two thousand draft class. CP. Can you believe it's been twenty five years since you were drafted?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: No, I cannot. That means that you know, some people have kids in the in the league that I knew, and it's crazy. We were talking about this the other day, just to think about how fast twenty five years goes by is unbelievable. But certainly a special time in my life for sure.
Speaker 1: What was the pre draft process like And did you get an inkling during that time that hey, I might be a Jet? You know what?
Speaker 5: No inkling? Really, I only had the inkling once I was drafted and thought back through the process. But really all the talk was about Pittsburgh and San Francisco, and so that was the two private workouts I had, and a lot of the talk just around the media about that, but I do remember having one of my formal interviews with the Jets, and so that kind of once I thought about that process after I was drafted, I said, Okay, it makes sense. Al Grow also knew my head coach, Bob Pruitt. Bob Pruitt worked for al Grow in college, so there was a relationship there, so they could probably gather the information they needed to make the decision on whether or not to draft me.
Speaker 1: What were your memories that interview as far as the Jets talking to you and who was there, who were the participants.
Speaker 5: Yeah, good luck on me remembering that. I would you do remember, Just it's probably in your own mind more than it is anything. But it's it's a I don't know if the right word is intense, but it's certainly a professional environment, one of the first ones that you know I was able to step into to truly have an interview. But I was prepared. I feel like IMG, who represented me at the time, prepared me for those types of things, and we did some mack interviews and things like that. But it's from top to bottom, whether it be football, life, decision making everything in between, because it's a huge decision for the organization to make and they're trying to gather as much information as they can, and so I just remember trying to be as honest as I could and put my best foot forward as far as who I was, not only as a football player, but as a person.
Speaker 1: Where were you draft day? It's round one, and who were you with?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I was asked to come to New York, but I just didn't that can go one way or the other, especially during those times, and so I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I didn't want to have an Aaron Rodgers moment, so to speak. Uh you know where you fall in all eyes are on you while you're sitting there in the room, Because I really wanted to be a celebration of one having the opportunity to be drafted. That that's you know that we take that for granted, that doesn't that's rare, and so I wanted to be able to celebrate that, enjoy that moment, and then also enjoy it with all of the people, both family and friends, that I felt like had been a part of my life and part of my development, and I just felt like to be able to do that. The best way to do that was go to Norse Lake in the fall at Tennessee, where I spent my summers, rent a houseboat and after draft, after I was drafted, to get on the houseboat and go down the lake and have a good time with family and friends. And so that's what we did.
Speaker 1: How many people were.
Speaker 5: Oh, my goodness, I would say, Gosha, I would say at least close to sixty at least. I mean, it was packed, but it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: So I know, you you don't have, you know, intimate recollections of the pre draft interview, But how about the call when you found out that you were actually getting drafted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm completely surprised because I just didn't expect the Jets. And here's the thing. I think Steelers had to pick at eight and the forty nine Ers had to pick at sixteen, so those two picks had already gone by. So then you're sitting there thinking like, what's going on next? And I think Sebastian Jenikowski was drafted right before me, I believe, to the Raiders. So there's a lot of things going on in your head, like, Okay, what's the deal here. I did feel like I put myself in a good position to be the first quarterback taken based upon my senior Bowl performer as well as my combine numbers and what I was able to do there, So I felt good about that. It's just you never know as far as these teams moving and shaking, as far as you're trying to get who they want to get, So you just it's a it's a very weird process, I'll just tell you, because you're trying to enjoy the moment, but at the same time, there's so many unknowns it's hard to enjoy it until it happened. So once it happens, it's just a huge sigh of relief.
Speaker 1: Who was on the line from the Jets.
Speaker 5: I remember al Grow being on the line, and then I remember then going to talking to Victor Green, I guess who was doing some draft day things, and I don't know if that was back to back, but it's pretty close after coach Grow had called me, so it was.
Speaker 1: A different time back then. But your thoughts on going to the Jets who had a proven, established quarterback in Vinnie Tustaverdi, Well.
Speaker 5: I've always believed then and I still believe now all that from a development standpoint for quarterbacks coming into this league, I think having a tested veteran that's number one willing to work with you as a young player, which was huge in my case because Vinnie was so professional about that, but then two had been successful at his job and at what he's been asked to do. I think that was huge in my development. And so because and here's why, as a young quarterback, you need to make mistakes behind closed doors, and when you're thrown right into the starting lineup, all of your mistakes are are out there for everyone to see, and it's really hard to work through those mistakes. Give yourself some grace why you're learning. They expect you just to pick it up where you left off in college, and that's just not the case. I don't care how good you are.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 5: To be able to make mistakes behind closed doors, to be able to learn what it's like to be a professional. That word professional is so much more than what people give it credit to was huge for me in my development.
Speaker 1: Did you know that history was at hand? Maybe after you got back from being on the Lake, and he said, well, not only did I get drafted today, but this is the first time in NFL history where a team actually had four first round picks, and they used them on Sean Alis, Johnny Abraham, yourself of course, and then tight d Anthony Beckt.
Speaker 5: You know, at the time, right when it happened, didn't think about it all, but once once we got up to New York for mini camp and the four of us were doing interviews and photo shoots and talking about it. It's pretty remarkable. Really. First of all, I didn't think it was going to happen. Typically, it just didn't happen. Right, Historically speaking, they're going to use those picks to gain more picks and to build the true depth of their team and do it in a cost effective manner. But you know, for Bill Parcells to have that type of that's why he's a Hall of Famer. I mean, when you look at it, the four of us played it combined forty nine years. I mean, that's that's crazy. And then when you put in Lavernius with that in the third round, we're up to sixty. So it's amazing the longevity that I think all of us were able to create and I think it's a testament to Bill's vision, to the Scouting Department's vision, to them really doing their research and homework on what type of professionals we would be and then having the professional fortitude to actually do it, because most people would tell you not to do that, and they did it.
Speaker 1: Did you like to nickname the four Aces? And when was that thrown upon you? Guys? And also we've made Lavernious part of this here man, because do you consider a guy who one of your favorite receivers of all time, Lavernius Coles? Do you consider him a fifth Ace?
Speaker 5: One hundred percent? He was the fifth Ace. I always think of him as part of our group number one, because he's such an integral part of what we were able to accomplish. But when you really think about it, I mean the that's got a steal. I mean that if you take away some of the things that happened to him in college, he is the first round draft pick. I just think he slid just because some things are out of his control. So you know, I definitely think of him as part of our group. He's one of my best friends and I love him to death.
Speaker 1: Why was Parcells such a good program builder. You just mentioned that he had the eye for talent, and he lands for you guys in the first round, and he comes back and gets Kohl's in the third round. But it wasn't just that the Jets overall what set him apart, because for my money, he's the best programmed builder in the history of our league.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that one of Bill's strong points is that he understands that football is a people gain, and so when you're putting the pieces of the puzzle together, he puts them together based upon the people, not just on number statistics things like that. And I think he had a very unique way of finding the right people to put together to build the team that he wanted to build. That's very hard to do. A lot of times people fall victim to numbers stats how high someone jumps, how fast someone runs, instead of looking at the person as a football player and some of those other tangibles that really matter in a team sport. And then being able to put all those pieces together in the right areas is the next trick to that, and he was very successful in doing that.
Speaker 1: Well, Grow was your first coach, and then it was herm Edwards. Of course, in two thousand and one. Terry Bradway comes on board as GM in two thousand and one. What kind of influence did Parcells have on your career in that early going and how much did that carry through?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you say, once a parsales guy, always a parsales guy, and that's another key ingredient to his success. I think anyone who has played for him or worked with him, because I was able to work with him again in Miami. Once you're in the fold in his program and you prove to have the makeup that he's looking for, you're with him for life because he can trust that he knows what he's getting and that relationship piece and that trust is really important, and so that's what makes him successful in that regard. So although I was only drafted by him and worked with him for a year, I do think that one year moving into coach Edwards era really helped me from a professional standpoint, a mental toughness standpoint, really understanding what this whole idea of being an NFL player was all about.
Speaker 1: How would you describe your Jets' career without writing a book?
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, I would just I would describe it as resilient and really all eleven years. Uh, there's a resilience all throughout that career when you look at it, when you take a step back and look at it in third person, I am really proud of my resilience. Uh. There are some things that you just cannot control. And when it comes to injuries, especially those type of injuries with the shoulder and a dislocated hand, which is extremely rare, you just can't control those. What you can control is how you react to them, how you respond, how you work through it, and how you try to still be available. And so that's how I would describe it. I look at my eight years in New York very fondly. I've told you before that you know those memories of those two weeks Green Bay at Indianapolis and O two o four, going out and beating the Chargers, coming back in six with a a coaching change, and being able to win the comeback Player of the Year and lead our team to playoffs. I mean, those are very fond memories for me. And there's nothing like winning in New York when it's happening.
Speaker 1: Those odd years were tough, but the even years, it seemed like every time it was an even year, you knew the Jets are gonna be making a run.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. And it even happened that way in Miami too, right, I mean eight, here we go to the playoffs. I have no idea, you know. And that people ask about, Okay, what's your regrets? The only quote regret I have is coming back too early from the first shoulder surgery. I feel like, and that's such a hard thing to do as a competitor. You're trying to be available to your team. As a competitor, you're trying to beat deadlines. But when you're talking about major injuries like that, shoulders, knees, all those different things, time and patience is really really important. And so when I look back upon that, I feel like, if I would have taken some more time and been more patient, maybe I wouldn't have had the second, second surgery, which then wouldn't have led to the third and fourth. So because those type of injuries, they're really hard to come back from if you don't handle them correctly. And so luckily that's because the resilience piece and great people around me, I was able to fight through that and still compete at a high level. But I would have loved to have seen how I could compete it with a true one hundred percent body, so to speak, and not always having to deal with it with something like that.
Speaker 1: Man, oh two was magical. I mean, every time I talk to you, whether it's in person or you know, on team's stream yard, I always think about oh two and when you took that ball and the team got hot and you really took the league by storm. It was incredible. And to this day, I don't think Peyton Manning was ever shut out throughout his professional career. But you guys took them down forty one nothing in that first round of the playoffs, and the preceding week there was no roof on the stadium, because that's a good thing because the roof probably would have came off at forty two to seventeen victory over Green Bay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly. That was man, that was a magical time. I just remember the energy in that stadium. I don't know if I ever felt like that again. That energy at those two weeks was just unbelievable. I mean, you could just it was palpable. You could feel it, especially when everyone learned that the Dolphins or the Patriots had beaten the Dolphins, and so it was up to us. If we win, we win the division. I mean, and there was another historical moment. I mean, no team had ever started out two and five and won a division, so that was really sweet.
Speaker 1: I consider you a cerebral assassin. So give me a scotary report on each of those guys in the two thousand draft class with the Jets that made such an imprint on this organization, starting with Sean, and then we'll go to John, then Backed, and look finally Lavernius.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So with Sean, you first start with just his his physical prowess, how strong he was at the point of attack. You know, he had to adjust from a four to three to a three four and then went back to a four three, So he did a great job of handling that. But then also I think his versatility. Although he was strong at the point of attack, and McCain was a great run stopper. He could rush the passer. He had eight and a half sacks I believe his rookie year out of a three four, which is hard to do. So, uh, I just remember that, and then you think about his longevity. I mean, for him to be able to play at that type of level for such a long period of time. Unbelievable. Look at John Abe, you know, I think if he wouldn't have had the injuries early in his career, he probably would have been a jet longer. But then, you know, luckily for him as well as you know, testament to him. I mean, look at the career he had amount of sacks and what type of pass rusher he became. And he was always known, you know, to be that, and so that's what he became, and he he was. He excelled at it. You know. So his his rush ability off the edge, his speed, his quickness. I mean, in today's game, he would getness. Gracious, could you imagine what type player he had been. He was one of those players that would translate to today's game right twenty five years later, No, no, no doubt about it. Uh. And then Anthony. You know what really proud of Anthony about is first of all, you know, he's the old school throwback. He became an outstanding blocker at the point of attack as a tight end and then could still help and and and be productive in the past game. That's a lot of times you don't see that anymore. You see one or the other he could do both. Uh, and then you look at his career how long he was able to play and still be able to do it, and now look what he's doing as a head coach. But think, I think is awesome. He's just so versatile in that way. We've become very close, you know, with with our families, and so to be able to watch him and his son Rocko kill it that I stayed. It's just really cool to see full circle finally Lavernius. You know, with LC, I don't know what it was. I just had a natural feel for him. I just think sometimes you sometimes it takes you as a quarterback some time to get a feel for receiver and sometimes you just naturally have it. With him, I just naturally had it. I think part of that too was I just my trust in him. When you watched him play, and I was able to watch him play and be around him for two years before we played together. You can see how physical he was. He never got knocked off his spot. He was a receiver that when the ball was in the air, you knew good things were going to happen, and if something bows gonna happen, he was going to do everything in his possible in his power to keep it from happening. So that gives you an extreme amount of confidence as a quarterback to let ball go early, to put the ball out front, to give him a chance because good things are going to happen, and that trust was there. So he played bigger than what his stature was. Obviously people knew about his speed, but he played like a six or FOURD type of receiver, and he was a receiver that you you would like to see press coverage against him than off covers because he was going to create such separation because they could not be more physical than him. So he was a lot of fun to play with.
Speaker 1: All right, let's end it here. You are a wildly successful football coach yourself right now, You got your sons crushing it. You are a busy man. But when it comes to draft weekend in Green Bay, when it's actually twenty five years later, are you going to think is there gonna be a full circle moment where you're gonna think about the memories, but you're also going to keep your eye on the Jets because a guy who was in your locker room when you enter the National Football League was playing quarnerback for the Jets. That's Aaron Glenn Well.
Speaker 5: It is a full circle moment in that regard twenty five years and now a former teammate being the head coach. I'm really excited for him. I think he has the right makeup. I remember him as a player. Number one, how professional he was. Number two, His competitive will and fire was unbelievable. And the way he approached the game is exactly how he approaches now as a head coach, and so that doesn't surprise me. And so that's why I think he'll be successful. So I will be leaning in a little bit more to see how his program develops. And I hope that we give him the time and are patient enough to allow him to develop that program. It's going to take time, it always does, to put your stamp on it, get and to build the culture that you see fit for your team as a head coach, and I hope we give him the time and we're patient enough with him to do that.
Speaker 1: So you got a new quarterback here with the Jets, Justin Fields, former first round pick twenty twenty one. Huh what do you think about his fit here with the Jets? And you talk about patients like he's now on his third team, but Aaron has seen something in him where he said, Okay, not only is he talented, but he's going to have an opportunity to really play quarterback here with this team.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Number one, he is talented, There's no doubt about it. Number Two, I respect him for how he's handled his situations. You haven't seen him just go off the handles and gripe and complain and do those types of things. So I respect that. I think it shows a lot of humility and a lot of courage to be able to go through those situations that he's gone through. And so I'm excited for his opportunity, really and I think he has the ability and the potential to lead the Jets. I really do, so it'll be interesting to see. I think it always comes down to how everyone in that building, both player and coach, work together to support him and that as a staff, the development piece to his development is intentional, purposeful, and the right path. That's really important in our league, and it's different for every quarterback. We're all different. We all bring certain things to the table, and if we tap into those certain characteristics that each one of us has, you can be successful, and so I think the team can be successful with Justin Fields.
Speaker 1: Well, we wish you continue lock and congratulations not only to yourself but the tire two thousand Jets Draft class, because we're going to be raising a glass for you next weekend.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks ea.
Speaker 4: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop game day ready jewelry styles and so much more.
Speaker 1: Anthony, Can you believe it's been twenty five years since that since that two thousand historic Jets draft class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to believe. You know, I didn't shave because I wanted the people to see the grades that I have. I mean, it's it's been that long, right, Uh, you know, just what an unbelievable day for me and my family and uh, you know for all all four of us quite frankly, getting drafted and and putting something you know, really good on on the field, you know, a good product for by all four of us and and the careers that we all had, and it's an honor to be a part of that. You know, you you're you're never going to see four first rounders again, probably ever. And uh, it's kind of edged in stone and and like I said, I just you know, it's it's the memories are are fantastic, and you know, to be a part of the organization still, Uh, to have that long lasting relationship is it's even better for me because it meant that it was a meaningful time you for myself, the organization, and you know, they still think very highly of me now. So just really proud of that moment.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you were happy to be drafted, but were you elated because young Anthony probably thought he should have went earlier in the first round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you're right. I thought, I tell everybody this. You know, Parcells told me he was drafted me in one of those picks I thought I was going to go. Was Chad what was he eighteen or seven? What was his pick?
Speaker 1: He was eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was eighteen, So I thought I was going eighteen because Chad wasn't supposed to be available. He told me, you know, they got their taking care of some defensive stuff early, and then I was like, okay, you know that's where I'm going. And then you know, didn't happen. So I was like, all right, clearly I'm going to be the twenty seventh pick, and I tell the story all the time. You know, that twenty seventh pick came, and I believe I've never spoke or heard another story. I'm the only first round pick that did not receive a phone call prior to the commission coming up to the stage and announcing their name. So in an act of anxiety and desperation and about seventy five people at a party all looking at the television together, I could hear the whispers in the background, like what's going on. You know, the Jets are supposed to take them. There's no phone. I had like this bat phone hardwired all the way out to the yard. We had this big tent, and I never got a call. So when Paul Taglabu came up to the stage and announced my name, it was like a roar you would never hear, you know, ever, like in Unison. But yeah, it was kind of crazy. I mean I was kind of like from the lowest point. I was like literally depressed because I didn't know, like who was going to pick me. I didn't talk to any of the team. I was looking at the list, like the next ten teams. I had no connection with at all. So but you know, when I heard my name, it was sweet. But I did tell Chad. I was like, it was either Chad or the Steelers. They owe me about four million dollars because I thought I was going to go eighteen and and I was like, man, we need to put our money in a bucket and just split it. But now I was listening, it was awesome, you know, to be a first on pick, to be drafted in New York, it was it was a great honor, a great privilege, privilege. You know, Green Bay took Bubba Franks as a tight end. I think at fourteen I was definitely a viable option there as well, and you know they decided to go that route. Me and him were really one two, you know throughout the league. And you know, again it was it was good. Parcels kept his word and I became a New York Jet.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get back to this scene at when you were drafted, when you actually arrived at Hofstra at the campus of webew Bank, call, did you ask some of the jets, hey, maybe Parcels himself. Why did I get a call?
Speaker 2: Well, they told they told me because the phone rang immediately after the pick right. So that's when I got my call. My agent coach grow Parcels were on the call and my agent's like, well, what do you think of that? I was like, you know, I mean, it was exciting for the for that moment I got called, but I was when my name got called. But I was kind of, you know, a little bit of anxiety there at that moment. But it was cool. It's unique, right again, you know, google it. I don't know, I haven't heard anybody. Every draft I've watched for the last twenty five years, e I've seen a phone in somebody's ear with the camera on them and then all of a sudden they hang it up. Everybody's hugging and kissing, and then their name gets announced on on on on the stage. So I didn't get that, you know, but listen, it was It was fun and I guess you know, it was to be unique is something that that you know, kind of sets me apart. And it's a great story that i'd always have.
Speaker 1: Where were you during the draft? And you said how many people were there? And what was that initial A couple minutes like, yeah, you see tags on the TV, you get the call, and then who did you talk to in terms of family in front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know my I as soon to be wife, Dianne was with me, and then of course any five family and friends. We had a big got a big tent set up in my parents' backyard. We had a big one in big box, big screens TVs, you know, extension court all the way to the TV, had the phone out there. We put couches and TV put like food. I mean, it was just it was awesome. Man. We're all just hanging out having a good time.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: We we we obviously knew we were going to be, you know in that world, you know, top thirty five, top forty picks. So it was, yeah, it was awesome, man. Like it's like the pinnacle. Like I just I just go back and think of all the doubt that there was that there was in my career. You know, I wasn't the best player of my high school. I didn't have any scholarship offers. I got one the week before signing day, and you know they basically told me by my junior and senior year, hopefully I'd be able to you know, to mature, build my body up and contribute in some way to help the football team. So there wasn't a lot of belief there in that moment. And then ultimately to just develop and grow and learn and be at a place where I could become, you know, a really good tight end. And then all of a sudden, now going into your junior senior year, you're labeled as one of the best in the in the country. It's just it's it's gratifying. I just I made a lot of sacrifices in college during my time there, and not not even just trying to be in the in the NFL, just trying to be like a starter in college, to be a great player, to develop my body was just I was six five, one hundred and eighty five pounds my senior year of high school. I just was not ready physically to be a tight end. And you know, just to develop myself and get to that moment, all the people that helped me, and then it was really gratifying, you know, to to in that strug. You go to the Senior Bowl, you go the combine, all these things start adding up and you you start checking the boxes and all of a sudden, now you're like, yeah, this guy's going in the first round. So just really awesome. It's a it's a unique time in my life, and it really just paved the way for everything that I've been, that I've accomplished and done in my life. It built up every relationship, it built every connection, It built anything that I've done as a player, after as a player, even now, it's all linked to that day. So just an incredible, incredible time in my life.
Speaker 1: Did you develop a relationship with Bill Parcells during the pre draft process, because you each have your own unique story. Sean told me he felt like he was gone up to New York every other weekend to visit with the Jets. John Abraham said, I did not speak to Parcels at all before I was drafted. Lavernius Coles remembers being drafted in the third round. Parcel was getting on the phone and saying, I'll see, listen, we did not draft you to replace Keyshawn Johnson. You be concerned about special teams. With that being said, what was your relationship like with him during that time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I took a visit, official visit to New York, actually went to the Giants first, then the Jets, and yeah, I remember I was taking a tour around hobster. I mean it didn't take that long, right, But was walking around the building and went into the weight room and Parcels was on the treadmill by himself. You know, I never saw him in person. You know, he was, you know, bigger guy obviously, you know, the pace wasn't heavy. He stops he saw me coming in and you know, turned around, grabbed a towel and started talking to me and said, hey, listen, you know you want to be a jet right And I said, hell, yeah, coach, you know, like and he was He's like, well, we're taking you. You're the guy we want, you know, not Bubba Franks, you this and that, and I don't know what pick it's going to be, but it's going to be soon, and you know we're going to get you at one of those picks. I was like, great. He's like, you know, just you know, very complimentary, you know, very positive. You know. I was like, Oh, this guy's a good dude. You know. I all the stories you hear and then you know, and then we could talk about after the fact. But you know, it turned into a much different situation from a relationship standpoint.
Speaker 5: For there.
Speaker 2: He was very hard on me. I would definitely take the opposite way in the building when I saw him, not to walk by him, but he would find his way to find to find me.
Speaker 1: But h man, it was to avoid him later on.
Speaker 2: Yes, hell yeah, yeah, I was. You know, I just I remember the first preseason game I played, and I had like four catches a touchdown, and I just thought like, wow, like I'm going to be a dude, like, you know, it's against the Saints in our first preseason game. I just remember. I don't even know. We had practice the next day, which is crazy to even think. Right, we were out in the field doing something and he was on the other sideline. I was warming up. He called me. He's like, hey, Beck, He called me over, and I was like, you know, kind of walking over there, pretty confident, you know, thinking like this guy is going to tell me how how good of a pick I you know I was, And he was right on and and he said, you know, he was saying, basically, you know, he's like, if you ever block like that again, you know on film against a team, He's like, I'm going to send your bluff beat beat beep, so fast back to West Virginia.
Speaker 3: You won't know.
Speaker 2: I'm like wow, like it was just it was kind of an eye opening deal. I will say it was. It was kind of like it changed me because I was a little bit in that first round Aura. You know, I really was one of the first I was really the first guy on the field of all four of us, and you know, immediately and then Sewan obviously had a bigger role, and then John sporadically was hurt and Chad was waiting, so there was a lot of pressure on me. I had a knee brace after the third week. I had to play with that, so I was slow, and I remember wizing Hunt be sitting in the office, you know, we all watching film as tight ends, you know, during the week, and then he let us go and the hey, Anthony, you need to stay back, and he tip his hat back and like, look, you got to give us more, you know, your first round pick. And I'm thinking myself, okay, coach, I'm like everything was so fast on the field. Number one, I had a knee brace on. I was trying to learn this, you know, the NFL way. I was on special teams and I was getting stingers on kickoff return every week, so you know, so again, yeah, it was tough time, but you know, I was embraced heavily by by coach Barcels pre draft and then again that tough love, right, I mean changed me that day. I kind of put my lunch pail workman hat on, and that's the way I became for the rest of my career because I knew, like the expectation level was not one side. It was about being a complete tight end and I had to work to get there.
Speaker 1: What nickname did you like best for that class? So it was talking to Sean about this earlier on the podcast that he said, I'd like the four Horsemen, and I know a lot of people all always referred to you guys as the four Aces. And also, ab do you consider it the five aces when you include Lavernius Coles in that two thousand draft class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we heard a lot of the four Aces. I like that. Yeah, yeah, I mean, shoot, I mean throw Lavernia. He could easily been a first round pick. I mean there's no doubt about it. So yeah, I like that one. That was a good one. That was the one I've heard the most. Four Horsemen. You know, that's somebody else has that right, Notre Dame or whoever. So that I feel like I've never heard the four aces before. It fits the suit well, So yeah, it was cool. It was a good nickname. Heard it more after the fact than actually during the fact. But but you know, every time we go back in time, everybody's talking about you know, you always hear the four aces.
Speaker 1: Why were you guys so individually successful and you talk about longevity. I mean you think about how ichi you produced throughout your career. That's quite rare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be honest with you. You know, I think there was just a professionalism that we had to grow up really fast. We had a veteran late a locker room. I mean, you know my locker I was next to Fred Baxter, Wayne Crebett and Vinnie Testa Verdi. I mean you're talking about that was like thirty five years of experience. Then you got Richie Anderson, and then Kevin mawi Is across the way, and then the other side you got ag and Marcus Coleman and Brian Cox and Moe Lewis and and Shade Tree and all those guys. I mean, like, dude, like there wasn't a lot of young guys in that locker room. So it was like you better grow up fast and learn how to do it or watch somebody because you know you're gonna fall fall far. And and you know it was not easy the first year for me. I mean, you know, there was a lot, you know, like I said, I had to play like I had to be out there and and I was kind of hurt throughout the year, and you know, I just there's a lot of pressure. Man, things are moving fast, and you know, the expectation level on a consistent basis, there was a lot of push. And I love that it may be a better player, a better person big long term, but in that moment, man like I was always the dude, right like you never no one ever critiqued you in that in that kind of way, and you know you're going against grown men every week. I mean different kind of different, different kind of body types were playing defensive end in the league than they are now, right So yeah, it was, uh, you know, it was it was. It was just a unique experience and uh you were forced to be a pro right now because that that was that was what our locker room was made up of.
Speaker 1: You said it before. You are now the radio color man for the New York Jets. You work alongside Bob with Shoes in a long time play by play voice of the Green and White. You play five seasons with the Jets, one hundred and thirty three receptions for overall eleven hundred yards and seventeen touchdowns five seasons. But in many ways, I mean you live in a different place you're coaching right now. In many plays, the Jets became part of your family.
Speaker 2: Why, yeah, you know, I mean there's like people like you, right, I mean, you know all you got. There's so many people in the business side that were interns or just starting out that are all now upper level executives for the organization. Of course, Woody he was the owner, who was a rookie owner that year, right, So we all came in together. So you know, those relationships stayed strong. I mean, obviously I would have loved to have been there and stayed there my entire career as a player. You know, business is business, right, it just doesn't happen that way. But able to reunite down the road, which was Whi's even better. So, uh, there's just something in my heart for New York and and the Jets organization, and uh, you know, I know that they're desperately trying to get back to where they want to be, and I'm just glad to be a part of it in small, some small way. Uh. You know, calling the games now is is a unique privilege. You know, Marty Lyons is a legend, and then obviously when he moved on, just to get that call and get an opportunity again, it's it's it's special, right. So I love the game of football. I'm coaching, I'm around it. It's just something that's a part of me now, my my my son plays. It's there's just a lot around it that's really molded me and made me who I am in different areas of it now, but but as far as the player is concerned, that's who I was in those in those years, you know. So uh, you know, just just really gratifying, you know, to to be a part of the organization still. I'm thankful that they trust me in the same aspect to go do those kind of things and and uh, and you know, been through multiple coaches. You know, I was you know, doing shows with and you know when Todd was there and prior. I mean, it's just you know, there's a lot of history there as I watched that team from Afar, even though I wasn't playing there or retired and doing some other things. So and I will say this, you know those seventeen touchdowns, now that's the most since Mickey Schuler, dust Dustin Kell, Dustin Keller had seventeen but wasn't able to eclipse me. So when we talk about productivity in the end zone, it's been a minute now since anybody's caught more than that. So I take that. I take that in stride as well. It's you know, it's it wasn't easy in that market. You know, it's there's a lot of there's a lot of things around you. You got to have some strong mentals. And I just felt like, you know, I was able to have a really good, uh successful time, and I was available, I was I was very rarely injured, you know, except that rookie year. I didn't miss a game. So take a lot of pride in that as well.
Speaker 1: Man Too bad people weren't playing Fantasy the way they are now, otherwise they could have loaded up their rosters with old number eighty eight.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know I had a couple of those five four touchdown seasons, So yeah, I mean, hell, they count for something, right those points. The yardage maybe not as much, but those touchdowns. I know, I know there was a little juice there early on in fantasy, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Hey, extra significance for you this weekend when you're talking about the draft and twenty five years and now watching what your team, your former team, the Jets, are going to do with the guy who was in that locker room. How cool is that that that locker room that you entered at webew Bank Hall had Aaron Glennon and now he's leading the team that you started with twenty five years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, just it's been an impressive run by him. You know, I've watched him grow, you know, after football as a as a young coach, a scout and work his way up, pay his dues, learn and be part of really good organizations. Go to an organization where he finally got the able as a defensive coordinator and and build something that was in shambles, I mean just complete shambles. Uh, and and make it a championship, perennial championship contender. And he's a big reason that happened in Detroit. And uh, who knows what Detroit will look like moving forward. You know, when you lose your coordinators and key pieces, you know, it's it's it's difficult that the head coach obviously leads the party and the ship, but you need great people around you. And now you've got to go outside the box a little bit. So. Uh So now Aaron gets to do it. He's learned, he's he's he's got the knowledge and now it's his show. So you know, similar to me, I got it in a different way, and and and and again. It's just like I just think like communication has to be clear. I just think he's really good at that. I feel like the messaging is very direct. He has a great plan. There uh instant credibility, you know, me being a former player. He's a former player, he played at a high level. I just think there's a there's a respect for that that that players really look into a little bit more and deeper when when words come out of your mouth and you say things as a coach, because you've been through those things, you you made it at the highest level. He's a first round pick, he played a long time, multiple organizations, a pro bowler, Like those are things that players now in the league are trying to accomplish, So every nugget that comes out of his mouth is vital and important. So, uh, you know, now he gets to do the same thing. He gets to build the staff, he gets to build the team. Uh, he gets to put his plan into place and grow and learn along the way as well. You don't know it all until you get there, and then you got to you gotta really, you know, just hone into the to the day to day and continue to embrace and do that. And I'm sure you know, I can't wait to see his plan. I can't wait to come through after our season and and come into the to the building and camp and and during the year when I'm calling the games and and be a part of it. I think it's going to be great. I think, you know, when you're looking for a leader of men, I mean, he checks that box. So again, I'm just really excited to see what the future lies for this, for this team and this organization with him at at home.
Speaker 1: All right, listen here, if we have an opportunity to have an adult beverage in two thy fifty and in twenty five years, they're still talking about this being a historic draft class. How do you want it to be remembered?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you have to follow up a little bit to the last question. You know what it means at twenty five years you know, Well, it's reminding me that people still care and it matters, right, I mean, we all had accomplished careers. You know, my son, my daughter, my family, my friends get to see it. My players now that don't believe that I was, you know, a great player or whoever. I was like, oh, well that's my coach, you know. So it's kind of cool. Man. So fifty years from now, honestly, I honestly, I'm just trying to be the same dude I was when I got drafted my name was called that day. I take a lot of pride in being me. I take a lot of pride in being genuine. And if anything, you know, if people forget me for being a player or a coach or whatever it is, if they've engaged with me, they know me. They got respect for me because I treated them just like they wanted, you know, just like I wanted myself to be treated. So that's how I live my life. I'm not going to change from that. Now we have a different relationship because we we've known each other for so long. But I can honestly say, like I don't know if there's any any bad blood with me in anywhere, in any part of the Jets building an organization anywhere. Right, So like the fan base, I love them. You know, you're always going to hear good, bad, and different. But I know in the moments that I did great, they cheered for me, and that's important. I know that even the ones that bowed me were the ones that may be bad or the ones that hit me up on accent like oh, you know, you were one of the worst. I don't care. Like at one point if they saw me I did some good, they definitely cheered one time, So that's all that matters. So I got that out of their blue heart or you know, at some point. But fans are great. That's what's great, I think. And starting in New York was awesome for me because anywhere I went after that, quite frankly, like you know, nothing was fake like media fan base is like, you know, you got it in New York and it made you or it crushed you, and it definitely made me so fifty years from now, man, I just like you know what I becked it's been a while, but he's a good dude. That's kind of that's kind of how I love to leave it.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll be certainly toasting you next weekend. Man, congratulations, spent a hell of a run, but fortunately there's a lot more in store for you, and the Jets appreciate you. Levertius. It's been twenty five years since the Jets historic two thousand draft class. When you think about that, what goes through your mind.
Speaker 3: It's weird remember that it has been twenty five years already because it went by so fast. I can't tell it's been that long. But when you say it and you look at the year and the date now, it kind of resonates and said, man, it's really been twenty five years for us since the day we got drafted.
Speaker 1: As far as the pre draft process, what we were in inactions like with teams and specifically the Jets.
Speaker 3: If I'm not mistaken, I think I had lunch with Dan Hayne and the officer coordinator at an olive gardener here in Jacksonville. But that was the most interaction I think I pretty much had with the New York.
Speaker 2: Jets at that time.
Speaker 3: Really had no clue that I had a chance of going to New York other than there, and then I thought Jacksonville was going to take me or RJ.
Speaker 5: Sowerd.
Speaker 3: So it was one of those days where, you know, my agent told me he didn't know whether I was going to get picked or not, but whatever place I went, just make the best of the opportunity, because he said, it ain't by way you're drafted, it is what you do once you get there.
Speaker 1: How about painting that picture? Though? At the Olive Garden? What was that conversation like with Henny?
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just really one of those real nonchalant lunches where I think he just wanted to see what type of kid I was, what my head was, and if he was willing to come back to New York and put his neck out there on the line for them to give me an opportunity, because I'm pretty sure mister Haley had to come back and say, look, I think he's the great kid. I think he'll fit well into the system and he won't give us any problems.
Speaker 1: And why did you have to answer those questions? Because a lot of people, I think right now are going to be watching or listening and they don't know the background of Lavernius coming out.
Speaker 3: Well, coming out, you know, I got dismissed from Florida State football team for taking a discount of bullits, so it kind of just letting me down a path and not knowing, I ended up going to Kender, Louisiana to train with Tom Shaw back in the day. So my future was in question because that was during the era when Ray Lewis had got in trouble and the way I received out of Carolina. So people was very skeptical about drafting guys with questionable backgrounds, and teams were very concerned and rightfully so, because they was making investments in the players and they didn't want to draft a guy that was going to cause them problems or tarnish their brain.
Speaker 1: And it's ironic because you were in an all time character player for the Jets throughout your career. Now, with that being said, sixteenth or seventeenth receiver drafted in the two thousand class, is that.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, sir, I mean, and I still remember it. I mean, like I said, it was a lot of names called before mine at the wide receiver a position. But again, it wasn't about where I was drafted. I think I was drafted to the place that fits me best, and being there and getting a chance to play with Vinnie and grow with Chad helped my career to do what it was, and I'm just thankful I got an opportunity to play in the Green and White.
Speaker 1: But when you got the call from the Jets, your initial reaction.
Speaker 3: Uh, it was, it was, it was, it was. It was bittersweet. It was one of those things. I was glad the wait was over. But to get on the phone with Coach Parcels and he's telling me he's not drafting me to play wide receiver and that I'm not there to replace Keishawn Johnson. It was one of those things where I had made up in my mind. I was like, I'm going to show them that I can play this position. And I had to say yes sir and no, sir, and agree with everything he said on the phone with in the back of my mind, I was telling myself, I'm gonna play wide receiver.
Speaker 1: The four first round picks showing out was John Abraham, Chad Pennyton, and Anthony Becked. When you came in with them, that was a historic class as far as unpressing it in four first round picks. Did you think that, hey, it is imperative for us to turn the tide around for this franchise.
Speaker 3: Well, I know they were doing pretty well before we got that. I think they had went to the AFC Championship maybe a year or two before that, And I know the expectations were high because a lot of the guys were returning, But I knew that we would have an opportunity to play and I think that year, if I'm not mistaken, we probably had probably thirteen rookies ended up making that roster, which was a lot of different bodies and a lot of new faces on the team, and I think we all contributed very well and gave them something, you know, to look forward to in the future because we were so young.
Speaker 1: How do you want that draft class, the Jets two thousand class to be remembered.
Speaker 3: It's one of the best draft drafts they've ever had. I mean the talent, the talent not only speech for ourselves, but the number of years that we all played. And I think what John Abraham didn't get to spend a lot of time his entire career with the Jets, but the years he was there he was so productive, bick Kat Sean Ellis was very productive. Chad, we know what he all did after we played, had a long career also himself, and then you had me in the third round that got ten years in. So I think our class speaks for itself, and I think the numbers and the amount of quality football that we put on the fields speech speech volumes, and not only that, but for Coach Parcels to give us all the chance and the opportunity to come in and play.
Speaker 1: What are some of your favorite memories of playing with the Green and White.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's so many gun ones, but again, the Monday Night Miracle, my rookie year to be a part or something that's exton stone and I think it's been on TV. It's one of the greatest games, greatest comeback games ever, especially for a Monday night game, and to be a part of that and to see how our fans left that night and then came running back into the stadium as we start coming back. I think I'll remember that till I probably can't remember anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you were part of a number of playoff teams as well with the Jets, and you actually had two stints with this team.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I told the guys, I'm like the straight cap. They fed and just kept coming back. So it's just great to be a part of such a great organization. The people were there, they welcomed me to fans really welcome. Then I just thank them. They still love me to this day, even every time I come back to New York. So I just look forward to putting on green and white every day. And you as you see, I got my Jets cap on because I look forward to it. And I watch the Draft every year and I get nervous for the guys that's coming there, like I'm about to get my name called