Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This He's Talking Cowboys Training live from Dallas Cowboys Training Camp in Oxnard.
Speaker 4: Calls LAMB six past second, Pascot Tison, Teddy.
Speaker 5: And now your hosts Isaiah standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: Finally, the Dallas Cowboys have come back to Oxnard, California. We're here at training camp. Let's welcome the Dallas Cowboys, the staff, the players, the coaches, and new Talking Cowboys lineup presented by Black Rifle Coffee. I am here with Patrick Noci Walker. Say hi to the people. Patrick returning to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentlemen, it is glad. I'm glad to be back Talking Cowboys. I'm back to where it all started. Shouts out to Derek Eagleton and bar Garcia and Brian brought us. I had a blast last season on the break, but now that I'm back, we gotta we gotta come take y'all down.
Speaker 3: So there it is, and we have Cowboys, legend and star of hanging with the boys. Nathaniel Newton, Welcome to the show. You're not on the main lineup, but you are here. See how to the people?
Speaker 6: Nate, Hey, what's a passion? I love you, baby, you broke that down real sweet Nate. Y'all know who I am.
Speaker 7: Baby.
Speaker 6: I fell in for a lot of people doing training camp. I enjoyed. This is my like forty fifth year of ben in some forty first year being in somebody's training camp.
Speaker 7: I'm loving it.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, that's amazing. And Shosta hanging with the boys. I know you're on that show. I know it's a good show. What's the whole name? I forget his name?
Speaker 8: Sharon baby baby him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, boys were here, let's talk about There's so much to talk about. Practice hasn't even started yet. We haven't had a press conference yet. So what are we doing? How are you guys feeling? It doesn't feel good to be back here in Oxnard, California?
Speaker 7: Oh great?
Speaker 6: I mean you say I'm in a T shirt basically, man, a Cowboys T shirt. Well there's what sixty sixty nine? Yeah, yeh, I'm feeling good. I just want to This is when they had told me, when Chris Bean told me, hey, man, you're gonna be on a different show. I'm like, Patrick's is Patrick gonna be on that? He said, Yeah, I said, put me on that show. Unfortunately, I hooked up with your baby, Josh. I love you, hey, and tell Josh he wasting food at hand camp, So stop doing that.
Speaker 3: Look at me, there's not possible. That's not possible.
Speaker 1: There's no So we're jumping off already. We're getting right.
Speaker 3: No, we're getting right too.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Nate Newton accuses me of wasting food by the looks of me. By the looks of me, that is virtually impossible. So I'm calling guys.
Speaker 5: These guys I number one, We're gonna have some fun first and foremost. Second of all, I couldn't be more excited. I mean, like you said, pressure football today, Yeah, it's football today.
Speaker 3: Football is back.
Speaker 5: Football is back for all of the pressure that the Cowboys are under right now, ladies and gentlemen, and make no mistake about it, they are under a monumental amount of pressure to get things done, starting effective today when the first practice gets underway. But nonetheless, whether you're you're worried or not worried, optimistic, pessimistic, the fact is we can all agree that football is back, and there's nothing more exciting than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, So practice has started, so we still have a lot of the lingering news from before camp started kind of facing us right now, Ceedee Lamb, quote unquote holdout possibly, how do we feel about him not being heered? Maybe he just missed a flight, you know, maybe he's maybe he's driving in like Nate, you know, like maybe it's taken a little bit. How do we feel about Ceedee Lamb at this point?
Speaker 5: Well, first list, let's talk transactional really quickly. So this morning, Trevon Diggs was officially placed on the pup, the Physically unable to perform list as he continues to come back from his torn acl But I'm told that it shouldn't be a long stay for him there, so expect him in practice any day now. But he is gonna be the one starting there. Great news is that no one else is so Demarveyon novas shown, John Stevens Junior, Luke Schoonmaker, Mazi Smith as well as David Dirton.
Speaker 1: They're all cleared a full goal.
Speaker 5: They're gonna start today and not a couple hours from now, they will be on the practice field behind us getting things going. Ceedee Lamb. Obviously, that's the headline. He remains in a holdout pattern hasn't reported just yet. He and the Cowboys are still negotiating his contract. I'm told that he's back in South Texas. He's staying ready, he's still working. And for those that have been wondering, if you've not heard it from Dak when we communicated it to you, if you've not heard it from some of those other guys, ceedee. Lamb has been preparing the whole time, right, so he's ready to hit the ground running whenever that contract situation gets going.
Speaker 1: But until it does, guys.
Speaker 5: Jalen Tobert, Jalen Brooks, Yes, Jalen Cropper, all the Jalens, Jalen Jalen, Jalen Cavante Turpin. Right, these young guys, Ryan Flora or the rookie seventh sixth round pick, He's going to get some reps as well.
Speaker 1: They need to take advantage of this opportunity.
Speaker 7: CD.
Speaker 6: Take your time, do what you have to do, you know, stay in touch with your agent, continue to work, do your think as an ex player, I understand. I have no comment for that. His work speaks for itself. And he's still young enough to receive the type of money that he's talking about. If he was an older guy, maybe like saying, ah, but he's still a young stud making it happen in Patrick c. You you mentioned a lot of young guys that need to step up to the plate and U and show Dak that he can trust you like he can trust the CD Lamb.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of Dak, I mean that contract hasn't been sorted out yet. Do we think the contracts for Dak, Micah ced are those on pause at the moment? Granted we just talked about CD.
Speaker 5: I feel like the only one of those big three that's on pause right now is Michael. And I feel that that's because Michael has already come out he's willing to pause his And he said this months and months ago when the headline became Dak's contract, ceed Lambs contract, Michael's contract. Michael came out and basically said, listen, it's time to pay CD Lamb. It's time to you know, make sure Dak gets taken care of. And he said, I'll worry about mine in twenty twenty five when the time comes. So right now, the only two that the cowboys are juggling is negotiations with Dak, in negotiations with CD. So that does make it easier for them knowing that their generational pass rusher is basically saying, take care of those other two guys we're talking twenty five.
Speaker 3: That shows a level of maturity, that shows leadership as well, a lot of question marks about that since the end of the season, Nate, how do we feel about his kind of leadership by making that decision to kind of pause his contract negotiations at this time?
Speaker 6: You know, for certain guys, I won't I want them to show it on the field. I don't care what a lot of these players say because a lot of time it doesn't line up with what you're doing on the field. And so I'm not I'm not worried about Parsons at this time. And great thing that he's taking that pause and you know, looking out for the other guys.
Speaker 7: I like that.
Speaker 6: But what what I need for us for us to get this thing situated with Dak. We have to get this situated because he is the guy that will allow other guys to get paid.
Speaker 7: I mean, what is his cap hit this year.
Speaker 1: Patrick oh Man, It's about sixty million.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he is either cap enhancer, cap stopper, So we whatever they need to do, let the fans know, and more importantly, let let let the teammates know where you staying with Dak, because they're gonna follow the ownership's lead. If Dak is the guy we're paying, we take care of him. We stretch this thing out as far as we can to make sure the money is in place, and that way.
Speaker 7: You can go out and get other guys.
Speaker 6: You know, you know, what's your situation to be with running back as soon as we get Dak signed, if they choose to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And when it comes to salary cap management, what a lot of people are failing to understand is getting Dak's deal done will immediately depending on how its structured, but it will immediately free up tens of millions of dollars towards this year's salary cap. And then, of course some of that is able to roll over to next year. So depending on how this year goes or doesn't go, you're probably really gonna need to go quote unquote all in and freeency next year. You're gonna need that cap space. And but what you don't want to do is send yourself back to you know, the post Troy Akman years, ye, right, and as Big Nate can speak on it those for those that didn't live that that was not a fun situation, right, You're talking about the McGee's of the world and the Quincy Carters of the world.
Speaker 1: And you know, as much as.
Speaker 5: I love my bulldog, sorry Quincy, but eh well yeah, yeah, hurt my feelings here. So if you don't want to go back to the post Troy Akman days and you kind of you got gifted Tony Romo. So, regardless of how people feel about Tony Romo, in fact was Tony Romo fell in the Cowboys lap as an undrafted guy who ended up playing and wildly outplaying his undrafted status to the point where he was being looked upon and criticized like he was a first overall pick. Right, And then you fall backwards into another franchise quarterback in Dak Prescott, a compensatory fourth round pick right at the back end of Tony Romo's career.
Speaker 7: His brain.
Speaker 3: Going to move up for those peace, So.
Speaker 5: That type of luck is not going to continue to happen. You have your franchise quarterback pay him. He was a runner up for League MVP last year, he's a first he's an All Pro from last year, led the number one offense. Again, that's the kind of guy you lock up.
Speaker 3: What about question marks surrounding Dak? Though we saw the collapse of the overall team, right, I'm not going to put that on on Dak, of course, but getting to the next step, getting to the next level, getting to an NFC championship, I think that's kind of the lingering question mark for the entire season. Can we get there? No matter what we do for the rest of the season, it is in that moment, do you Dak Prescott in an NFC championship game?
Speaker 6: You know, you know, we were all emotional after that game. We saw Dak was not up to par what he showed us during the regular season. Our defense was out of killed her once again and the biggest moments.
Speaker 7: So it was a team effort.
Speaker 6: But what hurts is your quarterback cannot be a part of that failure.
Speaker 7: And he was a part of that loss. So we have to factor that in.
Speaker 6: But once you get the emotions out of it and you start saying, okay, where does Dak rank in the league and he's still you know, people talking about the top ten. No, sir, he's probably about the top seven, top top six, because when you go to talking about wins, Patrick c what was his wins top year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, twelve, twelve and twelve. Yeah, so you.
Speaker 6: Can't say all of a sudden, hey, Mike McCarthy was the reason that was changed because you got understand his office of coordinator chain again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so Dak has made.
Speaker 6: Some super adjustments as a quarterback. It took him a minute to connect up with CD, but once he did, he did what he had to do. And so even I was emotional, like, man, do we pay dad? Do we keep that?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 6: Asks Minnesota how they feel they had to go out and get a first round pick.
Speaker 7: Even soothe the pain.
Speaker 6: And even though you may go that land and think you got it going on, they still had to get a first round pick.
Speaker 7: So you better, you better check yourself and ask yourself.
Speaker 3: Put some respect on his name.
Speaker 1: Is that that's the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 5: If it's easy to find a franchise quarterback even the top the first round, ask him if that's the case, because their last one prior to this year is now playing with the Pittsburgh Steelers and trying to fight against Russell Wilson for some reps.
Speaker 1: So keep that in mind as well.
Speaker 5: But when you talk about Dak Prescott, you have to talk about the good and the bads.
Speaker 7: So you justified.
Speaker 5: You know, when it comes to me, it's all science, it's no feelings. Let's talk right down the middle. So for as much as I believe that Cowboys need to lock up Dak Prescott for another several years, for all the reasons I said, it's also justified the question if he can get things pushed in the postseason. But when you go back and you look at the film against Green Bay, it wasn't Dak Prescott. It was Dak Prescott's slow start that didn't help the case. It didn't help because he couldn't. He didn't save the day on a day, on an evening where his defense was basically giving away the game. Okay, when you allow a visiting team to come into your home on your home field and score every single play or every single series of downs, right at a certain point, Now you're down seven, you're down fourteen, you're down twenty one, you need your MVP caliber quarterback to step up and say, hey, okay, let me get let me answer with this touchdown. Let me answer with that that's where the Cowboys offense went wrong. But Big Nate brought up a great point. Dak Prescott has now had Scott Lenihan, Kellen Moore and now Mike McCarthy. Through several offensive coordinators, which includes Brian shot Haammer as well, he's mostly performed at an exceptionally high level. That makes you wonder what pieces around him have probably failed the equation. So we know it's not wide receiver one because pay that dude, Pay that dude yesterday. Okay, but then you have to look at the exensorial pieces.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 5: So Dalton Schultz was he was capable, but was he a Jason Whitten?
Speaker 1: Maybe not? Flip to the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 5: We know that the experiment with Marque's Bell going to linebacker, you ended up paying for that. And some of dan Quinn's decisions, some of his cover yea, some of his coverage decisions against the Packers, you were sitting there scratching your head like, we can't do that. That's Pop Warner type stuff, and love DQ hope he loses a lot up there in Washington. But nonetheless it's things like that where you have to look at the totality of it. So rightful to ask the question, can Dak Prescott get you where you need to get in the postseason?
Speaker 1: I believe he can and I believe that he will.
Speaker 5: But everything has to come together perfectly for this Cowboys team to make that happen.
Speaker 3: All Right, We're gonna head to our very first break of the season. We're gonna get serious after this break. I have a question for you after this is there a sense of tension in the air with Mike McCarthy on the last year of his contract? More talking Cowboys After this.
Speaker 4: Break, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 9: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees roasted package and shipped to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the Coffee Club today.
Speaker 2: Cowboys fans, after that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys, And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica. Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't stop banking.
Speaker 2: Every cause it's only available in the English language. You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on solect mobile devices. Message dat rags apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 11: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary on deer tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Welcome back this portion of Talking Cowboys. There's a nice plane in the air above us. This is great for audio. This portion of Talking Cowboys is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats, bring out the good.
Speaker 1: I like that. They like that reading that you had the right attenation bring out the good. Yeah, that was nice.
Speaker 3: That was nice for my oats this morning. Nate did you have oats this morning?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 7: Man, but I'm gonna have them tomorrow. Man. I you know I like some oatmeal, love it?
Speaker 3: Newton destroys oatmeal.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, he has this weird thing about collar greens though, but that's another story.
Speaker 1: What did you just know? You know he didn't? He did? All right?
Speaker 3: Boy? I asked a serious question. Tn to get serious. Is there a sense of tension in the air with Mike McCarthy on the last year of his contract?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 6: No, I mean is that tension coming for us as fans? Is that tension coming from coach McCarthy? Because coach McCarthy is doing things as normal. He's he's uh doing what he has to do. He hasn't missed a beat. Uh, he's been a winning coach. Besides that, uh you know that pandemic year. He this man has improved. When you come to a team, Patrick, is what you want to do if you leave it, you want to leave it better than you when you came in. Are and the other way is to make it better when you come in. This guy's made this team better. Him and Will McLay is a team. I don't see why people are panicking.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: He knows he's been in.
Speaker 6: Every situation that you can bring up good, bad, and indifference. This guy barred a monumental collapse of two and this and three in that this guy is our coach. That's just my feeling.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like there's any pressure whatsoever, as far as from the aspect of is if the question is is McCarthy feeling any type of way about not having a contract secured beyond twenty twenty four, I don't believe that McCarthy feels that he's focusing on that. He is quite literally being where his feet are and he's going through the routine that he normally goes through. He's making tweaks, He's made changes to the coaching regime. And obviously with the absence or with the departure of Dan Quinn, what do you do you bring in approving super Bowl winning defensive coordinator and Mike Zimmer return him to the fold right, and then you promote Al Harris, which absolutely Al Harris deserves. So there are changes made in the coaching staff that hopefully are to improve it. He recognized that some things were not working in his offense. He talked about it in the season press conference. When he admitted running game was below park, right. Would we have liked to see the Cowboys address that in the draft. Yes, I'm on the record of saying that they didn't. But what they did do is they reunited with Ezekiel Elliott to make sure they get those dirty yards taken care of, the goal line yards and stuff like that that they.
Speaker 1: Missed last year.
Speaker 5: And then you go in, you boaster the defensive side of the ball with the linebackers, right, you bring in Eric Kendricks and you get Marisley a File In the third round, you get Willie Harvey Junior, the leading tackler out of the UFL. So McCarthy learns from his mistakes, which is why Mike Nolan is no longer employed here, Okay. And then he gives you what twelve win season? Twelve win season and oh, by the way, a third twelve win season? You want to see more in the playoffs. That's what McCarthy is focused on right now. But for those that are saying throw away the baby with the bath water and get rid of what already one of the winning this coaches in Cowboys history, too soon to be talking about that, In my opinion.
Speaker 3: I agree it's too soon. And I think going back to that Green Bay loss, when we're sitting in the press box and we're actually listening to Dak's press conference, the one person that was absolutely defending Mike McCarthy at every step was Dak Prescott. To me, their final seasons under contractor this year, they're kind of tied at the hip at this point, and I think they're riding for each other in this moment. I think Dak is going to ride with Mike McCarthy. Like you said, though, you brought up a great point of running game and how that's going to change going forward, brought back Ezekiel Elliott. I think the expectations are not of rookie year, Ezekiel Elliott. I don't know how you could expect that. But watching him on the Patriots last year, you saw a bulldozer. He was. He was the bell cow in a lot of ways for the Patriots and was getting those dirty yards, which we desperately needed last year. Kauf, thinking back to Miami, we needed those dirty yards and we needed secure ball security as well. So how are we feeling about Zeke? Is he a bell cow or a band aid?
Speaker 7: I mean, you want to jump on his first battery.
Speaker 5: No disrespect to Ezekiel Elliott, but I think he knows that he's a band aid in the aspect of you're not getting Bell kow Zik, You're not getting the former NFL rushing champ. That's not what you're getting. What you're getting is a guy who is still at twenty nine. At only twenty nine, he's still extremely capable of making plays for you. And the style of play that he operates within is what you sorely missed when you released him not long ago.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: You let him go because you believe that Tony povertin Rico Dawdle could give you that sledge hammer versus sword dynamic, Right, but what you ended up with was two swords. Okay, there was no sledge hammer. Now, A lot of that goes to the offensive line. You had a lot of injuries, there was a carousel there. Chemistry couldn't really be established. And what doesn't get talked about a lot, and I know Big Nate can attest to this is not only chemistry across the front five, but chemistry from running back to knowing which the tendencies of each blocker to run behind him. What he's going to do so that was disjointed. They bringing Ezekiel Elliott. I think you're looking at maybe ten to twelve touches per game. I said touches, not handoffs per se. Ten to twelve touches. He splits duties with ric o'dowdo and then they try to figure out the real question is what happens with Duce Faughn and Hunter Lipkey and Royce Freeman and any one of the other six running backs that they have on this depth chart.
Speaker 7: I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Speaker 6: This is my deal and this is where coach McCarthy plays a big role. Go back to his Green Bay days. I mean he always had a nice running back, never nothing super all over the top. He's back in that situation again, and this is where his experience will let us know what Zeke made.
Speaker 7: This game.
Speaker 6: He may touch it nine times. This game, he may touch at fifteen. As the season going, he may have a game where he touched it twenty times. He knows how to play these guys. He knows who rico'dondell is. The question is men you talking about at the dinner table last night. It's the nineteen other running exactly that we don't know, and that coach McCarthy got to figure out how he's gonna use these guys. He will not make the same mistake twice, Coach McCarthy, but he and I'm gonna say this because live it out of line and not what we're talking about. But this is where Dak has to be a little bit better too, you know, making sure at all costs that you're in the right play for your personnel that's in the game at that agreed agreed.
Speaker 3: So I know Nate's not gonna want to chime in on this, but we have a new look offensive line and looking at this new offensive line, you dressed it heavily in the draft, which you absolutely needed to do. I want to know, is this offensive line? Is this the offensive line we're looking at or we're gonna have any question marks going into Week one based on this campalone?
Speaker 6: You know, yes? And I told you guys, we're all talking at the dinner table. We're a new group of guys together, so we prepping at the dinner table. But last night, and I'm telling guys, until I see guys play two or three regular season games, it's gonna be questions. Now you will get a Parsons and you would get other pass rush I can't think of my guys and ain't been in the league forever. You'll get guys that would give these guys great pass rush looks.
Speaker 7: They'll get a lot of that doing the deal.
Speaker 6: But the run game, that's something you have to work on, and a lot of coaches don't really work that. You know, all practice are wrong, it's just different sessions. So you have to get in a game and watch these guys during the regular season before you can give a true opinion of who Guidil is.
Speaker 7: Who BB is.
Speaker 6: Because if BB's not starting at center, I'm gonna be a little I'm gonna be a little hurt.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna be a lot hurt. And so.
Speaker 6: I want the rookies to be in their offensive line wise. I want every young guy that has an opportunity to be able to play, to get every rep.
Speaker 7: Zach Martin practice once once a week.
Speaker 6: I will not be hurt, you know, But the other guys I need to see them. If Tyler Smith don't practice but twice a week, I will not be hurt. But every from Austome Rich is the TJ Bass to guiding to BB to to anybody that has.
Speaker 7: A chance to make this team.
Speaker 6: I want to see them in there doing everything they can doing from the from this day fourth all the way through preseason.
Speaker 5: Bottom line is this is that anyone who tells you in regardles, let's say Tyler Guyton and Cooper BB steal the show at camp, okay, which would mean more more than likely they're going.
Speaker 1: To be your starters. That's how you know you're starting five.
Speaker 5: Even if that's true, and we hope it's true, even if that's true, there is no way that you can look someone straight in the eye and tell them that two rookie starters on your offensive line, the most important unit on the entire football field, doesn't bear questions going into Week one, which would be their NFL debut. In fact is you have a lot of youth Cleveland and this this ain't this ain't your granddaddy Cleveland Browns. Okay, this is your Miles Garrett Cleveland Browns. And that defensive line is one of the best in the league. They're going to be tested early. But when you talk about you know, Tyler Guyton and Cooper BB. Now let's go to some of the other young guys. Who aren't rookies. Brock Hoffman, TJ. Bass, Right, these are guys. Even though brock Hoffman he's a lunch pail guy, he will absolutely compete for starter.
Speaker 1: TJ.
Speaker 5: Bass he's a gamer. Came mostly out of nowhere, right, not unlike Terrence Steele, but on the interior of the offensive line when the Cowboys needed.
Speaker 3: Them so much.
Speaker 5: Youth uh aside, Beside, you know, Zach Martin and Terrence Steele, you have to have question marks because I'm always of the mindset, Big Nate, that it takes three to four games of the same front five playing together for them to really start geling and knowing each other's tendencies. So there's no way that I'm going into week one with all of my belief in Cooper BB because I believe he'll be the starter. And I'm also on record of saying I believe Tyler got In will earn his start at left tip I go against the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 1: Even that being the case, I would be.
Speaker 5: Completely disingenuous to sit here and say, knowing that or believing that, I still feel like, oh, I'll be completely confident. No questions. They were all said, No, I need to see it. I need to see it in real time against real competition. And when I say real competition, I mean outside of training camp, because this defensive line is going to test them as well. Right, DeMarcus Lawrence, Michael Parsons, don't forget about guys like Sam Williams, oh so Odiggy Zuwa okay, and then of course talk about another rookie, Marshawn naland he's gonna make some waves as well. So I want to see it like Big Nate Week one, Week two, Week three, Week four. Ask me that question again as we go in to October.
Speaker 3: Now, I want to share a quick story with what happened last year at Cam. Nate told me this and it stuck with me and it rained true. Last season he said, you don't really know the identity of your own team until Thanksgiving. Now it rained true. I mean, the beginning of the season was what it was. You get after the Charger, he kind of knows what he's talking He kind of knows what he's talking about. After the Chargers saw the offense jail you said, you saw him come together, and you did know who the team was by Thanksgiving. My issue here is that the schedule is so front loaded. We have so many difficult capital d difficult teams to play in the front half of this schedule that I don't think we have until Thanksgiving to get this offensive line jelling. But we'll see, I mean, we'll see how training camp goes, and we'll see how these guys look, and I would love to see a solidified offensive line, of course, injury notwithstanding, but we'll see. So we're gonna take another break after this. As we sit here, I'm gonna go question marks again. What is the biggest question mark here at Cowboys training camp? As we go into day one? More talking Cowboys after this.
Speaker 4: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At.
Speaker 7: And T five G.
Speaker 4: Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. Com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller?
Speaker 7: Would you there, doctor?
Speaker 10: My friend support of me a tough time.
Speaker 11: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier? To cry out?
Speaker 13: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do now just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 12: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee Today.
Speaker 8: To Talking Cowboys, Welcome back to Talking Cowboys Live, well, not live, but live from Training Camp here in Oxnard, California.
Speaker 3: This segment is brought to you by Invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys Pearly Whites. I like it, we have Patrick. Can you stop reading?
Speaker 5: You know, normally I'd say yes, but when it's reading, when it's The Cowboys Training Camp magazine for twenty twenty four, it's just it's it's a read that you can't put down. Okay, so make sure you get this either the digital version by downloading the Star Magazine app or you can find it in some stores.
Speaker 1: But make sure you get it.
Speaker 5: And of course there is the Training Camp opening version of my Science Lab series which is in here as well, So make sure you get it and get yourself ready for what's about to go down.
Speaker 1: Get yourself ready.
Speaker 3: Dallas Cowboys dot Com get you Star Magazine. Yeah, Training Camp review. Thank you to Kurt for putting that together.
Speaker 1: Oh, Kurt Daniels, phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Shouts to Mia k on Talking Cowboys with the host charin segment. All right, so I like this. Also in Dallas cow Boys, we have a we have a an article series called Mailbag, and I love these. I love one of her fans sending their questions, uh for for the writers to address. Always fun, always fun. I liked this one a lot. This one was from Benny Reynolds and Houston shouts to you, my friend, and this is basically the whole topic of the of the entire show. I loved this question. But what is the biggest question mark here at training Camp?
Speaker 1: What's you're thinking?
Speaker 6: Big Nate Mizzie Smith. I like that along with his second pick brother tight end. Those are the biggest Those are the biggest answers. Man the biggest question. Excuse me? I mean you may be Patrick, see can answered? Is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm I'm drawing a circle around defensive tackle as a whole unit. Right, And obviously that's led by a question mark on what version of Mazzie Smith are we about to see effective today? Are we about to see the Michigan version of Mazzie Smith, the definitive nose tackle who eats up double?
Speaker 1: Are we about to.
Speaker 5: See the dan Quinn's version in twenty twenty three where he tried the conversion to a three tech. That being said, Cowboys did not bring in not as of yet, a big name free agent for defensive tackles, so they're leaning heavily on Mazzie Smith and rookie seventh round pick Justin Rodgers along with veteran Carl Davis. You already know what you're gonna get from os o'diggi Zua. That's not a question mark at all. He is an absolute baller. But Chauncey Golston he's going into a contract year. Will he break out this season? They need him to? So for me, the biggest, single, biggest question mark is how does this defensive tackle position play out for Mike Zimmer who, along with his linebackers, he depends largely on what his defensive tackles can do in trying to stop.
Speaker 3: The room Mine is and a lot of weight gets put into this question. But is the team still bought in now? Bought in is a relative phrase. You hear it a lot.
Speaker 1: Please listen, everybody wants to read this, you know.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, pages looking at the science in Star magazine, look at that.
Speaker 1: From an airplane.
Speaker 3: But is the teams bought in now? They jeled so well during the regular season, especially after that Chargers Moday night football game. Do we see them step right back into that rhythm offensively? Or is there some PTSD from the Green Bay wild card debacle? That's I kind of want to, Like I said, I even brought the question up earlier. Is there like a tense air? Is there? I don't know, man, I don't feel as optimistic as I did last year, and I'm sure a lot of fans are feeling the same way. But football's here. You can't not be excited about it. But it's just that lingering question in the background for me is are we bought in?
Speaker 5: I'll say this and I'll toss it to to Big Nate. As far as the offense is concerned, Ceedee Lamb's absence notwithstanding, I think this offense not only steps right back into what they were doing last season, I think they have a great opportunity to take the step forward. We'll see how the running back situations shake out. But I talked to Dak Prescott and Brandon Cook specifically about one particular thing. I asked him both. I said, what's the difference between right now in a year ago in Mike McCarthy's offense in Dallas, the Texas Coast offense, if you will, And they both said the same thing. Last year was a whole lot of heavy installs and that's why they got off to the slow start to the season, a little bit disjointed. Slow start for Brandon Cook, slow start with Ceedee Lamb, slow start with Jake Ferguson. All of a sudden, as the season went on, Jake Ferguson's played at a Pro Bowl level. Brandon Cook started to get involved, and we saw what Ceedee Lamb was able to do all of that in the passing game without a running game to really speak of. So I believe that from a passing offense standpoint, they're just going to pick up and go to the next level because they're comfortable. Now let's install more just playing football and knowing the playbook. It's the running game that needs to take the step forward.
Speaker 6: I agree one hundred percent. I ain't much more to add on that. I just I don't see no tension. I don't feel no tension. We'll see, you know, we got a press conference coming up here pretty soon.
Speaker 7: We'll see what. And at ten, there's Nick Harris. I thought he was sick of been anyway.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm feeling sick of losing the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Same here, man, same here. So uh so, I'm sorry, Nate, were you finished with your point?
Speaker 7: What Patrick had to say.
Speaker 3: Right when we got here was that two days ago. Uh immediately after we got off the bus, Jordan Lewis spoke to the media. Patrick. I was sitting next to him and he shoved me out of the way to get to the press conference. It was very rude of him, and he hasn't apologized yet, but okay, thank you, thank you on a public platform. He's only apologizing because he's doing because he's on a public platform. But anyways, he spoke to the media on playing for coach Mike Zimmer installing a new defense, new scheme. Uh, is there a possibility that the scheme drastically changes his output this season? And is that why he stayed in Dallas?
Speaker 5: Well, he said, that's why. He said, that's one reason why. The other reason, he said, is because quote unquote Dallas is home. This is a guy who's approaching year ten in the league and he's been with Dallas the entire time. And when you look at the arc of Jordan Lewis, he comes in and because he doesn't fit the prototype of Chris Raschard and Rob Marinelli at the time, he's kind of shelved and he had to earn his way from the bench, and then he became the only ballhawk on the team had in the pre Treyvon Diggs years. He gets back to for him last year after suffering almost a career threatening injury, and then he starts being the one that forces fumbles against guys like Christian McCaffrey at the one yard line and things like that. So Jordan Lewis is back to form. I'm curious to see specifically what he meant when he said that Zimmer's scheme will allow him to be more impactful because at this point in the NFL, Nicholas base, yes, right, So as a matter three four, four to three, you're going to vary between the two. But Nicholas base, and being that Nickel is based, that means Jordan Lewis is gonna be on the field quite a bit anyway. So I'm interested to see how Zimmer is going to feature him because clearly it was a part of the talking points to Jordan Lewis to keep him in Dallas, because he brought it up when we talked to him.
Speaker 7: I tell you right here, man, zim scheme is not difficult to learn. A good thing or a thing that's a good thing.
Speaker 6: He's gonna give you one or two points starting out early that he gonna ask you to do. Basically, stop the run, play a play, great situational football, played the percentages that favor you, and.
Speaker 7: You'll be okay. You'll be okay.
Speaker 6: Uh, this freelance and we see thing I thought I saw this, and I think that's where it hurt DQ last year. Is he he gave guys too many options. Uh coach, Uh coach them. Is gonna take away a few options, especially earlier in the year, until you prove to him that you understand what he needs you to do. And once you do that right there, then and only then, well he may give you some leverage to do to do other things. But he's gonna play the percentages. He's gonna be a great situational coach. And I say, we all love d Q, but we saw as the season went on, guys, but I thought that's saw it is. I thought I saw that, Nah, do your job and this thing will click.
Speaker 5: The only thing I could think of off the top of my head before we see a single practice, which you know, the first one starts here in a couple of hours. If that is that, maybe you might see a little bit more nickel Blitz mixed in and maybe sending Jordan Lewis into the backfield a little bit more often, because he's shown he can impact games when you get him into the backfield as much as he can when he drops in coverage because he can take the ball away with interceptions as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely all right, so we're gonna pivot for the last few minutes of Talking Cowboys, your first Talking Cowboys of the season. Bold predictions for training camp. I'm gonna start really quick. I this this one actually might be conservative. I'm asking you guys the bold prediction. But I'm thinking Trey Lance starts the entire first preseason game, does not take off a single snap. That's not bold.
Speaker 5: I know that's not a spicy I'll let you guys kale all kale is what that is.
Speaker 3: I'll let you guys hitting capital or what is it? A command? B bold?
Speaker 1: What do you think of Big Nate?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 6: I can't tell you that. To me, the boldest thing is the Tree Lance thing. I mean, we need to know, we need to know so about Tree Lance. So whatever you do is bold because he came from the forty nine ers, a very coveted hot