Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It's Friday, August ninth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number fifteen. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break with lifem Oxnard, California and represented by LGLG is the world's number one oh lad TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot com for slash o leadevo.
Speaker 3: Everybody doing this morning excellent?
Speaker 2: It's nice and quiet piece.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how quiet it is here right now. So let's make some noise. Let's make some noise.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's talk a little bit of Cowboys football. We we had a really fun I thought fun practice yesterday. You had the rams here with the Cowboys. So anytime you get a chance to watch Cowboys players up against other players, you kind of get a sense for how they're doing. Even though you know, it may be very different than what you see when they're just going against each other every day. But after we finished practice, we're thinking that, you know, we got all this stuff to talk about, us football talk about, and then all hell breaks looks in Cowboys Nation. Basically as a result of an interview, Nah, as a result right that Jerry did and Nick, you were standing there for the interview. I just want to make sure we're clear on what exactly was saying and then we'll talk a little bit about what it all means, because a lot of ramifications happened as a result of this interview. But tell us what happened. I guess in the interview what Jerry actually said regarding Ceedee Lamb's contract.
Speaker 5: I have a breakdown up on dallascowboys dot com if you're more of the reading person than the visual person. But I'll give you the exchange as it was given yesterday to between Jerry Jones and a couple of reporters as far as how he communicated his feelings on CD Lamb. So question from reporter one week three of training camp is winding down. Can you envision September eighth coming and CD Lamb not being ready to go. Jerry says, well, I don't know about that, but I know that we're getting great work done, making real progress, and I don't think we're losing a step where we are now. Another reporter comes in, is there a sense of urgency keyword as you begin the preseason to get CD done? Jerry says no. Same reporter asks why do you say that? And Jerry says, just a long pause. I went to high school, I went to college. I don't know why I said it. I'm just saying I don't know, and he starts laughing. I don't have a sense of urgency about getting it done. Pick any reason you want. I was at NOBU two days ago. Give that as a reason. Whatever you want. Put it out there. And so just the quote of I don't have any urgency to get it done was posted to Twitter. Ceedee Lamb responds, for the first time throughout this entire holdout, this is the first words we've heard him utter. And oddly enough, it was just three letters. It was just LOL with a period, And I feel like the period is even more telling than the LOL in some instances. But those four characters, man, they shook up the entire NFL world. You had Chefter retweeting it, you had Bleachree Report talking about it, you had us talking about it.
Speaker 6: There's a lot.
Speaker 5: There was a lot going on here yesterday, so much so that a couple of hours after this all went down, like you said, like I forgot there was a joint practice that we had yesterday. So it's an interesting situation than Dak Prescott. He takes his weekly podium and as he's getting off the stage, he says, I know y'all want to ask I got urgency for it to happen, And so we kind of dive into that a little bit more, and he said that he needed to talk to CD a little bit more about the entire quote and how it was communicated from Jerry. But nevertheless, really just strange day yesterday when it came to the CD negotiations and how it all shook out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really interesting because as we all know, we've worked in this business long enough, it doesn't take much. And we also know this and this is one of the great things for us. And I'm talking about media covering the Cowboys. Jerry can stir it up with the best of them, right, He could create some some headlines and uh, and so sometimes you look at these kinds of situations and you wonder like, is this Jerry kind of stirring it up? Was he kind of joking around? We remember when when he did the zach zeku before Zeke got paid, and then Zeke you know, had the T shirt at the press conference, and and so it's you know, sometimes this kind of stuff can be taken a lot more seriously than maybe even Jerry thinks about it. But what were your thoughts as you guys kind of read what happened and it all started kind of blowing up. What were your thoughts and how concerned are you that this could turn into a problem for the cowboys?
Speaker 7: Sure, I'll start when as it was happening, and I was like, what, you know, here comes the drama. You know, we we love some drama around here. But we started going to through a bunch of speculations and even Nick came up with the theory, what if the contract is actually done and they're just laughing at us. You know, it's a joke. It's an inside joke right now. So it's uh it can we talk about it? Was the Twitter bio a thing or no?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Twitter bio is the thing. We don't know exactly when something changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know it happened obviously, but he took America Team off his bio, which.
Speaker 7: We don't know what happened, Okay, but it was again, that was something that was brought up yesterday as well, people saying, well, hold on, he took that off his Twitter bio, and then you start creating all these stories in your head. Another thing that we heard yesterday is that his agent is in the Olympics right now in.
Speaker 6: Paralympics handball guy.
Speaker 7: But it just it just came about the whole thing of like, okay, well he's on the outside right now, CD's not here. And when you start seeing things on social media start you start creating your own personal story and you look at things differently. So I can imagine everything happening and him not getting in touch with Jerry afterwards, like on the phone or Jerry reaching out after this whole thing started blowing up because we've seen it. I mean, you're our boss. Of course, we're a lot closer than they are. But it's the same thing of like if something happens, you jump on the phone call and just clear the air and make sure everything's clear it out. We know that Jerry and the Cowboys they do want CD Lamb. I can't imagine them going through a season this season, specifically without a guy like CD. Yes, the wide receivers have been looking really, really good, that doesn't mean you don't need freaking City Lamb on the field. So, especially after everything that happened during off season and what you did not do as far as free agency signings and all of that, I think this is a situation that hopefully they cleared the air. But I'm here for the drama, you know, goes. Let's keep it fun. No, I hate it, but let's just get it done. Never a dull day, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is the great example of the Cowboys are going to do things different than other NFL teams when it comes to front office moves and the way that they're going to do their contracts. Yes, you know they they operate in a way of the owner is the general manager, and that's that's fine. You know, there's a lot of teams that have family members that run their teams. No problem with that at all. Jerry's gonna hold the line on this one. I believe this is I believe this is true. Now they're they're looking at it probably in a way of how much resolved does ceed Lamb have? Is he willing to miss games? Is he willing to give up a million dollars a week to miss games? Now? The flip side of that is, okay, I'll report, but got a little tight hamstring here, got some things going on. Got you know, maybe there's some things that maybe you can that you can worry about that way. But I really do believe that the Cowboys have resolved in this thing, and they're going to They're going to the way that they operate is clearly different than anybody else in the NFL, and they're going to see how far they can carry C. D. Lamb in the negotiations before. Maybe you know, and the Cowboys have had some some a little bit of a history of giving in on some deals. We've seen it happen. I'm not making stuff up. We've seen it happen with with Zeke out here. We've seen it happen with Zach Martin out here. So they have a little bit of a history of kind of saying, Okay, we're going to do this this way. But I think this is Jerry really drawing the line? I think I agree with you, Amber. I do believe they want they want CD here, but they're they're gonna try and get this single on their terms, and they're going to see how far he's willing to take this. Can he take this to the point where he's giving up a million dollars a week not to play football. That's pretty strong resolved right there.
Speaker 2: If I if my memory's right, and I'm over fifty now, so sometimes memory is not right.
Speaker 6: Fish oil, fish oil.
Speaker 3: You're right, works, there's not enough of it in the world.
Speaker 2: I think I recall that when this situation was going on with with with Zach Martin. Jerry also says something in the media is some similar to the thing of when he shows up, he shows up right, almost like the same thing, like we're holding the line. We're not worried about this. When he wants to show up, he'll show up. They end up paying him, right then zeke zek Ou like yeah, and then they paid him. So I think I think part of this too.
Speaker 3: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think Jerry's holding the line, but also think, you know, part of this is gamesmanship, and I think that when it comes down to negotiating deals. I think the cowboys negotiate the deal, and they negotiate hard, and by the way, players also ggoti the agent's also negotiate hard, and that becomes That's why it ends up being this tension that quite frankly, I think all of us media fans feel the tension for more than they do. I think they understand this is the business. We're doing the business. We're doing the dance of the business to figure out how do we get positioned ourselves to get the best deal possible. And I think both sides are doing it. I don't think I personally, I don't think and I haven't talked to CD, but I don't think CD is sitting at home stewing over this. I think it's a gamesmanship from him as well. I think he sees that and he's like, all right, l O L all right, if I'm gonna I.
Speaker 7: Took off period the period.
Speaker 2: But that's that's that's the thing. If he if he's sitting at home, it's like, Okay, if you're gonna play that game, I can't play that game too. I don't think it's personal. I think it's just the business. It's the it's the negotiation. This is how it goes when you're when you're negotiating a deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you bring up some excellent points about how some comments have been made before and then deals have gotten done and so but that's you know, like I say, Jerry is the general manager, and you know if he believes that the Jones does negotiate tough. They not just in football and business, they negotiate tough and and so you know, they have a way of doing things. It might not be on everybody else's plans. And you know, but the thing that kind of makes you feel about it is Jerry talked about the leaves needs to seem more leave's fault. Well, you do have that. You do have an idea of where some of these contracts are at. So you're thinking, like, okay, well he has the information that he needs where he sees his guy. Does he see his guy in with the others? Does he see him with the Jeffersons and the Hills and the you know, Hills was not anymore. It was just more money, more guarant But there's some creative ways that they can do this. I'm sure they're thinking about that, but I think this is about I really do think it's about you know, how far are you willing to carry this, because we'll carry it. You know. With there there's there is and I hate to say this though, is that there's there's job security there. And I mean that in a nice way. There's if you're a general manager and you're fighting it every day, that like this could be my last year. You know, you're going to do everything you can to make sure that you signed the guys and and give yourself the best chance. Here, they could like, okay, you know we this is how our setup is. And a lot of teams have this setup in that way, and so to me, I just see them kind of saying, okay, I'm I see where you're at here, and maybe they're maybe they're not willing to to to give in like they did on some of these other deals before. Maybe it's like, okay, we have to draw the line here. Now. You know, we've we've kind of we've kind of allowed some deals, the deals we were just talking about to happen, and so now it's like, okay, let's see where we're at here. Uh, with this particular deal, I.
Speaker 5: Would still be surprised if we get to week one and see Lambs not on the field.
Speaker 3: Oh I would too, I would too, but I thought it was going to be ten days in.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you when you say that, When you say that, are you saying you'd be surprised if you get there and he's not there, or you'd be surprised if you get there and he doesn't have a deal, Because those are two different things. Like, as Brian said, is he willing to go million dollars a week? That's the whole different thing. Man, he has a deal.
Speaker 3: His his fifth year option pays him about seventeen and a half million. And you think about that, Is he willing to give up a million dollars a week not to play football? Right? You know? And that that's a strong that you have to have some serious resolve to be able to you know, to be able to walk away from that. And I, I this is just my thought. I think the Cowboys are betting that he doesn't. I think that my opinion. I think the Cowboys are looking at this saying he does not have he does not have it in him to walk away from a million dollars a week. I think that that's just how I look at it. I think the record.
Speaker 2: I don't either, But go ahead.
Speaker 7: I think he'll be there first week of the season.
Speaker 3: But just with a new contract.
Speaker 7: As he just asked, he'll be there in person. Let me just ask you guys this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But see that's what I'm saying. That's the problem now I have. I think the Cowboys are going to I think the Cowboys are really going to play. They're going to play this all the way out and see if he's like, okay, I'll come in four. But say he has a contract. It could be below really what the top receivers. You know, it could be instead of thirty five million dollars, it could be a thirty million dollar contract.
Speaker 2: But you know, I actually don't think the number is going to be the hold. I don't think that's what's holding this thing up. I actually believe this is about how you structure it because when you, oh, yeah, that's where the problems laughing this team. Think about where Cowboys right now are having struggles. It's in the salary cap. So they got to think about it's not the total number, it's like, how do we divvy this up so that every year it's not going to put us over salary capital? Also trying to negotiate maybe a sixty million dollar deal with the quarterback. Maybe who knows how much you're gonna have to pay Mike, if you know when that time comes. We started looking at that. The Cowboys really have to think about, like how much is being is contracts exactly? Yeah, And I think that's more of the issue.
Speaker 3: And that's a big issue.
Speaker 2: Than just the number. I think the number has been laid out. You just look at all the other comps, so you got the number to.
Speaker 3: Them, You're absolutely right. Yeah, to the receiver, better than Jefferson, better than Hill? You think, well, no, that's what.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm asking him. Do you think do you think he is better than Jeffs?
Speaker 3: Well, no, I think I'm saying he as a player, looks at he's the one guy that I would pay. That's just me talking again, it's not Dallas guy. It's me talking. Yah. Yeah, i'd pay him because I think he's gonna live up to his contract. Agree, I would pay him. Yeah. Now, now he's probably looking at it as wait a minute, Jefferson's good. My numbers to Jefferson, my numbers to Hill, my numbers to Brown, my numbers two he's looking at it that way, and.
Speaker 2: You think he thinks in that way, he thinks I should be the highest page.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the cowboys have to think about the balance sheet he's thinking about. No, they call the role. I'm right in the I'm I'm on the top three.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So that's where I think. I think you've got people trying to look at how to stagger contracts, and rightfully so. And you've got a player saying, hey, this is BS you. You don't want to pay me more than that guy. You don't want to be My numbers you look at over the years, my numbers are just as comparable or better than a lot of these guys that are already getting paid.
Speaker 5: I still think he comes under Jefferson to that To that note though, and I think I think the smart annual value comes under Jefferson.
Speaker 6: I think the.
Speaker 3: Guaranteed money, that's where it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: Where guarantee Hill is getting, it'll push to where a J. Brown is getting a monross Aint Brown. I think that's probably where the semantics of this and the nuance of this deal is probably being worked out. And also the length, if you're looking at it from cde Lamb's perspective, you have a quarterback who's going into the final year of his deal, you have a lot of uncertainty around your coaching staff, around certain players. On the defensive side, you have Zach Martin who's going to the final year of his deal. So if you want to create a little bit more certainty for yourself, get a shorter term deal, get that three year deal.
Speaker 6: So that cowboy doesn't help the Cowboys at all.
Speaker 5: So that's exactly and so from a CD perspective, that allows him to have some freedom down the line. Whereas if the Cowboys get him to sign a five year deal, which is probably what the team would want, then that pushes him ount even further. Let's say three years from now, he doesn't have that quarterback, he doesn't have that coaching staff, he doesn't have that offensive line in front of him.
Speaker 6: He's gonna want out, and.
Speaker 5: I think that would create a more toxic situation than what happened yesterday. So I think the dynamics of everything, it's everybody trying to predict the future, and nobody can really predict the future. At the end of the day, I think Dax deal is going to be a very big determining factor in all this. I think Dak's deal and those negotiations have to reach a certain threshold for this team to feel comfortable signing a CD LAMB to ideal, just because they need to understand the number that DAK is going to have at the end of the day, and they need to have an expectation of what MICA's number will look like next year. I think once they have a good good feel about those two numbers, CD can get done. But I really do believe that this CD and DAK negotiation, that's not a coincidence.
Speaker 7: I have heard update on the dark contract.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was no update yesterday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so that's another thing that's lingering on there as well.
Speaker 2: It is a lot good a question, Yeah, but I want to do this. Let's take our break and we come back. I want to take Amber's question, and there will take question, and then we'll actually get to some practice notes and we'll figure out what you guys saw up there on the practice of yesterday. We haven't come back Dallas Cowboys dot Com A you.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online, was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has a T and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best est thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 10: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 6: No one comes close.
Speaker 10: LG O lead Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 11: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area.
Speaker 3: And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think.
Speaker 11: Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 4: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. The Bank of America does and is here to help. With digital tools to help you save and low experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it. To Bank of America, what would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see Eco Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 7: Back to the Break, LGO led Evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that lgoled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com slash o led Evil.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Break.
Speaker 3: We're presented by LG.
Speaker 2: This segment is brought to you by Blockchain dot Coming. All right, here we go Amber. Before the break, you had a question.
Speaker 3: What was the question?
Speaker 7: I've been getting this question a lot on social media. Can the Cowboys play a game without CD?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 7: Obviously the answer is yes, yeah, But how well can they play given the fact that we keep talking about how well the receivers have been doing a training can everybody and you know it'll be tough to make some cuts down the road here soon. But how confident or how comfortable would you guys feel with the Cowboys playing a game if that was to be the scenario for whatever the reason? Can they play week one? How well can they play without a CD?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: It depends on the game, right and we're looking at the game being the Cleveland Browns and the defense that they had last year in Cleveland. You need a playmaker like CD Lamb on the field. I think if it was a situation where you know, you're playing the Commander's Week one and they're trying to figure out their new identity under Dan Quinn and things of that nature, maybe have a little bit more freedom there. But I think with the instance of going to Cleveland, it being that afternoon game, that first Fox game of the season, and you're going into the Dog Pound, you need CD Lamb in that building.
Speaker 3: Quarterbacks outstanding. You know, he's playing practicing really well out here. I mean he's gonna have to carry you. There was a similance of a running game yesterday. You know there were some holes. I haven't seen a lot of holes when it's been Cowboys versus Cowboys. There were holes when it was Cowboys vers Rams. How well can you run the football? Will you allow teams to completely take away? Ferguson Cooks had a good day yesterday. I would mention him as one of my top guys. Tolbert showing a little bit something more than what we kind of thought, or at least what I thought he was gonna be. You don't want to play a game without Lamb. But to me, it's not as dire as I once thought it was coming in here because I've seen I've seen a little bit of emergence of Tolbert and the quarterback looks like he's picked up where he left off last year with some of his throws. So that would be, Yeah, you're gonna put it all on him, and you know he's he'll he'll, he'll go as best as he can with it. But it would be a it'd be difficult, but it's it's and I'm not even gonna say manageable. I'm gonna say it probably won't look pretty, but you know, you got to find a way to get it done.
Speaker 2: If that was the case, Yeah, I'll tell you this. I actually was having this conversation with a couple of media guys as we were standing watching practice a couple of days ago, and I asked the question, do you think Dak looking at him out here on the field this year, looking at the fact that last year he was second in voting, second in voting in the NFL as far as far as league MVP, do you think he's at the point in his career where he could feasibly carry this offense with without the talent around him, like with just good talent around him and everybody everybody to a man that was in that conversation said, you know, I think he might be able to do it. I think maybe he's at that point where he could do that. And so to your question, Amber, that's always been a question, and quite frankly, he's never really been put in that position other than one time, and he wasn't ready at that point. But but I think now, I think you look at how he's developed, you look at what he's doing out here just training camp, and obviously that's not the game, so let's not equate it in the same way. But it does give me reason to believe that if ever there was a chance for him to be able to take that next step as a quarterback. Where again, when you're gonna make sixty million, you're not gonna have all the talent around you. Can you be the person that really makes it go. I actually want to see if he's ready, if he's ready to take that next sleep. And I'll tell you this, that's a dangerous thing for CD because if CD doesn't have a contract at that point and the Cowboys start watching, and let's say you get two or three games into the season and this offense is moving without CD Lamb, now it begs the question do the Cowboys need to pay? Do they need to really then be focused on paying Dak Prescott more so than they are focused on paying CD Lamb. And I'm not saying any of this will happen. All I'm saying is those are the things that you'll be watching, and I'm sure CDs camp will be watching as well. If he decides to continue his holdout like that can get really really interesting for everybody.
Speaker 6: You need Cede Lamb in January.
Speaker 5: That's where I think they can hold that leverage there, just because they Dad could go out and have four hundred and fifty yards passing in the first three weeks in each game, They're still going to need CD Lamb whenever playoff time comes around.
Speaker 6: So I still feel like that leverage is on the table.
Speaker 5: He's still at the end of the day that he is their best offensive playmaker and whenever they do go to San Francisco they need him. Whenever they do play against Detroit in the season or whether that's in the playoffs too, they need him.
Speaker 6: And he was very crucial in that Detroit game last year.
Speaker 5: So I think they could still hold that leverage at the end of the day, regardless of how Dak.
Speaker 6: Performs stood to open the Season's that's how.
Speaker 3: I still want That was it. That was the whole question.
Speaker 2: That the whole question is actually a really great question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, let's get some practicing.
Speaker 2: Let's hear what happened on the field yesterday. It was actually a really good I thought a lot of good competition. I saw a lot of interesting things from the Cowboys. Let's go down the line. Let's start first on the offensive side of the ball. I want each you guys to give me an observation that you saw from the Cowboys offense going up against the Rams defense.
Speaker 7: Let's start first with you, Brian, no start with me, because I think he's gonna say the same because we were standing around the same spot or we were watching the same stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna talk about the old life.
Speaker 7: Let's just hope and pray that everybody, all the starters stay healthy, they all stay healthy this season because the backups did not look good. They were on the ground quite a bit, and it's just it's very different than Brian. We were talking about the difference it makes when you go up, when you start practicing or playing against other people that is not the people that you've been practicing against this whole time, and we saw that. I mean, I didn't realize how bad they actually were until until yesterday. As far as these backup.
Speaker 3: Guys one on ones.
Speaker 7: Was like I was just like, oh my god, uh uh oh my god, oh oh that hurt me. So that was just an a completely eye opening for me to see that because I have I hadn't realized the lack of ability that was there up until they had to go against the Rams yesterday. In that point, But another thing that I was gonna say that that's on the positive, and we already kind of mentioned it was the running game Sekiel, Elliott, Rinco Doll. I mean they're starting to show up and that's very, very exciting. And when you see the started o line, the holes and the gaps that they're creating for them, and then their ability to break and run free has been really really impressive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can I follow up the question there.
Speaker 5: Do you feel whenever you say the backup offensive line had a weekday, are you looking more so at the tackles or are you looking at the offensive line as a whole, Because I feel like TJ.
Speaker 6: Bass and Cooper Bebe they still had some good moments yesterday.
Speaker 7: Good moment, but in the sense that it's similar to what we've been watching already. That's where the other players stood out most that you think they're they're okay, and then they were absolutely terrible. BB. I think there's still room to grow there.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 7: A lot he looked okay. It wasn't impressive, it wasn't like, oh my god, let's cry about this draft pick. But TJ. Bass, on the other hand, he's a guy that even since last year, a lot of people have always talked very highly about him, and he's a guy that I think I still like And what he's done. He's had his good moments, but again not to the point where I'm like extremely impressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there was. There was a little bit of both in which because I was when I was watching BB, I was like, okay, that's a good rip because uh and thank you guys for letting me be a part of training camp live again. And and I was down with the with the offensive line in the backups and stuff, and I thought there was sometimes the tackles. I think Matt will Let's go had a rough day yesterday. I think that Steele at times had a rough day yesterday. Awesome Richards. I know the one video of him, you know, with first going over the top of him was played and that was a bad rep. What bothered me about the backups yesterday and but the ones, like you mentioned, there was a good reps with BB. I thought Ball held his own yesterday at guard which you know what bothered me yesterday about the group is I've seen him block against the Cowboys front in the one on once and played with really good technique, you know, hands inside, sit down, you know, kick side punch. Yesterday it was like going back to survival, Like, Okay, I got you get beat badly on the first rep, and now you're going to try and short set of guy and then you lunch and then he swims around you and now you're off bouts and it's snowballs on it. There was times where you're like, man, they don't even look like they've practiced, you know, work because but that's the thing that bothers you the most is when you've seen him have some success. It's the same thing like we was talking about with Mazzie Smith. And I don't mean to bring him into this, but I do. When you see positivity and then you're like, what just happened? What And it's like all these players and I think this is what that practice did yesterday. It was in a way eye opening that how could they how could they look so good going against guys and then they get in this and then it turns into like chaos, you know with it. But I uh, that was something that was again eye opening to me.
Speaker 5: I will say for me, whenever the team drills were going on early in practice, the Cowboys, they were relying a lot on their run game, Like they.
Speaker 6: Came out with a lot they throw.
Speaker 3: That left side was good. Yeah, the number one watching.
Speaker 5: It was super awesome and that left side was awesome. Richards and Tyler Smith and so Rico Dowdell Ezekiel Elliott. They both had big runs on the left side of that offensive line. It gotta give credits. Yeah, huge holes. And I have to give credit to bro Kauffman as well. He was going back and forth with Kobe Turner.
Speaker 6: Looks so good.
Speaker 5: Kobe Turner's awesome. I mean, he's a great defensive tackle for them. I think they got to steal there. I think they ended up with him in the second or third round a year a year ago, and he's gonna be their guy that kind of not Aaron Donald replacement. You can't replace that guy, but he's gonna be the guy that's in the interior that they're going to rely upon a little bit more. But him, Brandon Fisk they were rotating in and brock Kaufman was still able to have his battles with them. He took a punch and he'd punch right back, you know, and almost figured almost literally too, because they were getting into it a little bit with some words. But I really loved what I saw in the running game because that's the biggest question on this offense. Arguably you could say it's the only question on this offense, depending on how you feel it left tackle and center. But they answered a lot of questions yesterday as far as Okay, Rico daubt o make a big play, Okay Ezekiel Elliott can make a cut. So I think both of those things were really big to come away with. As far as the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 3: You know when you when you mentioned the running game, dude and a dooga was in there until he had the until he had the spasms in his back, and then he was out of the line up there. But that listen, there were a couple of times there where Hoffman and even Bebe playing center. They were so quick to get out. You know, they were second level block and there was that they had that ability to get up in the second level and they they were so quick that they overshot, able to kind of adjust back and then kind of get there get their guys squared up. So yeah, the running game aspect I thought was pretty pretty solid.
Speaker 6: Yesterdar and if I could defensively, man Eric Hendricks had an awesome day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, real quick, we're going to take our break when we come back, We'll get to the defensive side of the ball, and I'll have each of you guys give us an observation you have from the defense. We'll do that in just the second. Is the Dallas Cowboys dot com re deal. It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right.
Speaker 13: Now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an LG old Evil t That's because everything you see is more life like, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels, no one comes close.
Speaker 3: LGO led Evo is the best TV in the game.
Speaker 1: For a reason.
Speaker 2: See for yourself at LG dot com.
Speaker 10: Slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 15: From the field of the festivities, Lucasey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at Lucasey dot com Lucasey, the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. Now is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires capable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break.
Speaker 7: Oh I'm so sorry, guys, I was looking at an email. But AT and T is the official sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys, and AT and T keeps me connected here so I can reply to emails from work.
Speaker 3: Lere we go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, take that.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, It is email, right.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the final segment of the Break. Here from Oxnard, California, we have one, two, three more episodes. Your camp. So this thing is round and out. It's only three more because we get we're next twoes Day and Thursday and then with a following Tuesday, and then we'll be heading home on Thursday.
Speaker 3: So uh it is.
Speaker 2: It's moving along here. We're actually past the halfway point of our time here in Oxtar.
Speaker 3: Nobody is so happy than you. It seems like, say again, nobody's more happier than you about this, are you?
Speaker 2: I want my life back.
Speaker 6: Feels like college's that's that's what I tell people. And it's back home.
Speaker 5: It's like, yeah, we all eat together, we sleep in dorms, we we hang out and do work until like eleven eleven thirty. Yes, almost at schoolwork, but I was like studying that doesn't sound right. But yeah, it feels like college in a sense.
Speaker 3: It's it's I love this. Yeah that's great.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't love me wrong. The weather's awesome. We get a lot done. But like I enjoy going home at nineteen, my family and you know, all the things that comes to being at home. I just I'm ready to go.
Speaker 6: I missed my pup, miss my pup.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. We're working through this thing. Got about a weekend. So let's get some defense observations. What'd you guys see from the Cowboys defense against the Rams office yesterday?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I jumped the gun, but here we go. Eric Kendricks Man, he looked fantastic yesterday. And if you're looking for, you know that on field presence, that on field leadership presence. He not only brought it from a schematic and knowledge standpoint, but from a play standpoint yesterday too.
Speaker 6: And he was everywhere the ball was.
Speaker 5: And that's exactly what you want from from from your main linebacker going into the season. I think whenever you look at Kendricks, he needs to have that role where he is on top of the ball on any given play, especially in the run game. And that's where we saw him. Whether it was Cadron Williams or Blake Korham getting handoffs from Matthew Stafford or Stetson benn In or Jimmy Garoppolo, it was Eric Kendricks that was right there to be ready.
Speaker 6: And he just understands it.
Speaker 5: And that's the knowledge, that's the experience that he has in this league and the acknowledge and experience that he has has in this defensive system and I think that's going to radiate not only throughout the linebacking chorus time goes on, but the entire team. You have a safety group that is really good at playing the run and guys like Donovan Wilson and Milie Cooker in my eyes one day, Thomas as well, and so if you have a guy in front of them like Eric Kendricks that can play the run to his knowledge, to his experience, that makes their job so much easier on the back end. I think he's gonna be We're gonna look up at week eleven, Week twelve, We're gonna be like, man, we really underestimated that Eric Kendricks pickup back when it happened, just because no one cared at that point. But I think that's probably been one of the better pickups that the Cowboys have made in free agency over the last few years.
Speaker 6: So I'll say it a whole lot, but it is it's saying a lot this time.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting about that is I think a lot of people, the fans will get to see this once they start playing games. But you can now see, you can see the difference of how much a veteran, really good linebacker makes in the middle of your defense, just being able to diagnose things, being able to get into the right spot, like all the things that you saw last year in the run game that just kind of like how is that? Like how did that guy have that much room to be able to run? It matters when you have that linebacker there. And I was talking to Patrick Walker yesterday we were off air and and we were talking about He was like, you know, we haven't seen this since Sean Lee. We haven't seen that kind of linebacker play. And so I really I'm excited about what Eric Kendrick's gonna bring in this defense.
Speaker 7: I'm excited too. He's looking so good. And another guy that's looking really, really good, and I mentioned him last show. I don't want to mention him again, but hey, his kid keeps putting in the lark and showing up is rookie Kaylyn Kaylen Killing Kaylyn Kayling Kaylen Carson. He's so freaking good. And it's impressive because when you see a rookie doing the things that he's doing, you can only imagine what the future holds for him and how quick he is. How what's more impressive to me is his awareness of everything where the ball is and where everything that he's doing on the field has been extremely impressive. I'm super excited. And he's a guy that just I knew nothing about and then all of a sudden, now I want to keep knowing more because he's that good. So he's been very, very solid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that it's a really good observation for him. And with Nasehon Wright had a little trouble yesterday the ball went to the corner on a fade and you're like going, ah, got to make that play. I think with Carson there's a side of me that's kind of in that mode of just put him out there, you know, just put him out there. And you know, if you know, I understand what Naseean Wright is, just let me see what Carson is taking every rep opposite Bland and playing in the nickel with Jordan Lewis, So let me let me see that. Let me if he you know, he's going to get the opportunity to cover a lot of guys out here, and he has and he showed up yesterday in a way too, as you mentioned, like you know, they try and swing the ball to him on the outside or towards him, steps up makes the tackle. You know, next thing, you know, he gets the interception. You know those interceptions, Yeah, and those he just needs to keep playing. Just keep playing him and then when they get guiding back, just keep playing him and see what you have there. I I will say this though, I really like what I saw again from Jordan Lewis, and and I covering Cooper Cup is no fun. Yeah, hey, you want to you want to deal with one of the best wide one of the best wide receivers in the game, and it comes to playing multiple spots and having to deal with all that. Jordan Lewis did a nice job of chasing yesterday and and and being in position, uh to make some plays there. A couple of times Cup caught the ball. He's going to do that to a lot of people. But you didn't see Jordan Lewis completely out of position dealing with that. And that's a that's a real positive. He's he's had some really good practices out here and so I and I think you also have to give And people will say this too. I mentioned Mazzie Smith. The one on one stuff with Mazzie Smith was good yesterday, Yes, it was, you know, he and that's the thing that I think is the most frustrating to me is you see stuff like that and you're like, come on, you could do this, you could do this, you could do this, and and so hopefully they will show him the film from last night. He can build on that a little bit and we see a little bit more quickness and stuff off the ball. I think like there's times where he kind of just he gets he maybe gets a little tired, he gets a little war down, doesn't play with the same stance, doesn't look good, doesn't play as quick as he needs to be. Rogers is kind of like the other He's doing a good job of playing fast and trying to get up the field. But with Mazie, like I say, you see it, you see it out there, and that's what kind of can be a little frustrating at times that you know he could play like that, just needs to be more consistent doing it.
Speaker 5: To both of your points on Kayln Carson, you mentioned you want to see him if somebody goes down, and I'm right there with you, I think I want.
Speaker 3: To see him with the ones. Yeah, yeah, if they're not going to practice digs, but they're just kind of every I would flip the reps, I would say, Okay, Nashon Wright, you're taking Carson's reps, and Carson you're now taking Nasehon Wright's reps.
Speaker 6: And I'll take it a stuff further into the season.
Speaker 5: If there's an opportunity for a different corner to come onto the field, whether that's Digg's Bland or Jordan Lewis needing to come out, whether it be for injury or just rotational work. If Caitlin Carson's not that first guy on the field, whether it's inside or outside, I think that's a mistake. He's see before on this roster, and I think they will come to that conclusion because I mean you call his name every single day and it's you're right, Ambar.
Speaker 6: I mean he does something every day that you look at and you're.
Speaker 5: Like, Okay, that's a guy, and he's see before on this roster, and I think if he's the first guy that rotates in, then that's that's gonna be an overwhelming positive to keep that defense flowing in case they need somebody to step up.
Speaker 3: Can't throw it overshown too. They tried to throw, They tried to run the wheel with Williams. The really talented running back that they had with the Rams. They tried to throw him on a wheel and Overshown from the inside was able to carry into the point where Stafford was going to throw it, and he pulled it back because he saw thirteen in the picture and then had to go to another spot. So there's some good plays out here from Overshown. You always we talk about him. He's just such a he's such a complete player, and he's just trying to kind of work his way back in after this injury.
Speaker 2: Positive sign for the Cowboys that young guys are showing up. A lot of young they are, and because that's what they're really gonna they're gonna need the next couple of years.
Speaker 7: They took a bed on relying on the younger talent, and we'll see.
Speaker 2: We'll shout out to Will McClay and his staff. They know they do a good job of bringing in great young talent. All right, Uh, real quick, before we get in the show, I got to say hello to my wife. She's listening, and she was like, does that mean does that mean that you missed your wife?
Speaker 3: I was like, absolutely, I miss my wife.
Speaker 2: They nice to start back up, so I'll be home soon so until then, until then, we'll keep holding it down out here for Brian.
Speaker 3: Brought to sambor Garcia and Nick Cares.
Speaker 2: I'm Derek Hilt and this has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 11: Ye