Speaker 1: Yankees manager Aaron Boone joining us right now on FT. It's great to see you, Boonie, and yeah, how you doing, man, it's been a minute.
Speaker 2: You good, I'm good, I'm good. We're all kipnesses today.
Speaker 3: I seem good to see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll lay that.
Speaker 3: I was just trying to show him thanks. Some of it still works.
Speaker 4: Some of the time, I miss that. I missed that.
Speaker 1: Hey, Boonie, I like your outfit right now, but I'm wondering if there will eventually be some alternate outfit that you get to wear. I saw that little news trickle in this morning, and it's fun to talk uniforms.
Speaker 4: So do you have anything for us?
Speaker 5: No? I mean that's just one of those things we've talked about loosely over the years of you know, you know, do do we consider it on some level?
Speaker 2: So you never know someday yes or no. Well, you know, I don't know. I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't have any expectation really one way or the other. I mean, I love our our our New York Blue jerseys, but whether that comes one day or not remains to be seen.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, so it's not like the beards, because I like the Yankees unis like there's there's nothing more iconic and classic, and that's okay if we don't connect with a city. But that's my opinion. But is this discussion kind of like the same discussion you had with the Beards or was that a different level of discussion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: That was probably obviously became more intense and more focused and got a lot of people involved. This is just something that's kind of been talked about over the years, Like you know, different people have brought it up, and so I think the fact that it's a story is just one of those things that it happened to be a story now, but it's it's one of those things we've again loosely talked about over the years, so you never know.
Speaker 3: Talking about some of the guys who wear those jerseys. Let's get off to one of those guys who are in a very hot start, ben Rice. What can you tell us about him? Because he looks pretty good early on so far.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's he's just he's I shouldn't say turning into because we I feel like he was starting to turn into this last year. But you know, and I think he's one of the really outstanding hitters in Major League Baseball, Like he's you know, it's real good power, really good play discipline. You know, he's he's really dove into first base after coming up as a catcher, and I feel like, continue to make strides over there.
Speaker 2: So he's been awesome.
Speaker 5: He is, he is, Uh, you know, we think, we think gonna be one of the outstanding you know, middle of the order hitters in this league.
Speaker 2: Now for a while, did.
Speaker 6: You know he's gonna take that next step? When he showed up the spring training quite a bit larger, Like especially like when an adult puts on that much weight, You're like, wait, wow, how did he do that? And because he already had the good hitting skill, then that extra weight really elevated, you know, the power part of his game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So in twenty four he gets called up for US and had some success but also had some failures too, but he was hitting the ball hard and showing all the signs of being a promising hitter. And then you know, like you said, fast forward to twenty five spring training, and it was noticeable, like his whatever fifteen pounds he put on, it was noticeable.
Speaker 2: It was just rugged.
Speaker 5: And last spring in twenty five, like from the first spring training game on through the season, like he was killing the ball. I mean just repeatedly hitting the ball hard time and time again. And last year I think famously, you know, hit into a lot of tough luck, like he you know, hit hit the ball hard all year into some tough luck, but still had over eight hundred ops and hit whatever mid twenties homer, He got five hundred and thirty played appearances, really established himself as a really good hitter. And now I think with his experience and with his knowledge and with that hitting skill, like he's just continuing to get better and better all the time. It's exciting.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 6: One, I have a two part question, but the ones really quick. I think you'll answer pretty quick. Can Ben still catch at a big league level? And can you play him one hundred and sixty two games? Because sometimes you get a lot of not sometimes you always get a lot of flak when you have him on the bench, and as one hundred and sixty two games even like a realistic goal because this guy could be an MVP type of player if he continues hitting like he is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred and sixty two, what's the I think? I think he's played in every game but one so far, so I have him down today against Suarez, but he might be in the fourth inning, so he's he's he hits lefties, you know. I think that sweet spot for games played is always in that one fifty one fifty five. But he can certainly handle it. And then as far as the catching, I definitely think he can still catch.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons I haven't yet to this point is because, you know, we ask so much of him, and he's such a he's such a worker that in spring he just wanted to continue to dive into first base while also doing some of his catching stuff. So he was catching bullpens, doing all his catching work. You know, he shows up with the catchers here and does all the game prep like that with the catchers. But but I felt like he was also kind of getting overworked a little bit and and taxing him a little bit physically. And because he's such a you know, such an important hitter for us, and because he's continuing to experience and learned first base, we wanted him to kind of slow down a little bit on the catching and spring and really focus on first base. So I got him into a game late in spring behind the plate for a couple of innings, I would not hesitate. Like if we, you know, to make a move late in the game and it ended up with him being behind the plate for a couple innings, I would not hesitate to do that. But I've been a little hesitant as of now, especially as we get our sea legs into the season, to put them back there in like a starting role. But last year we kind of gradually built him up and he had some success back there in the second half of the season.
Speaker 2: So we'll see, we'll see as we continue to go.
Speaker 5: But first and foremost, I want his bat in there in the middle of the lineup all right.
Speaker 6: So that people don't think, yeah, that's that's good.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 6: So people don't think you think he's perfect. He's really not done that well in ABS. Have you given him a hard time for that? And why the heck is Judge not challenged more? I thought this. I thought a BS was like the Otani rule, which we'll get to later. I thought ABS was made for Aaron Judge because they used to crush him on the bottom part of his own So first, Ben Rice, do you give him a hard time, and do you tell Judge, hey, start using it a little more, big guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so so as I treat every player different and Benny, if I crushed him on, that would be crushed. So I don't want him to lose his nerve to challenge, even though he's had a couple of rough ones, like I still need him to because he does control his own so well. I want him to, you know, not be too crushed by that Judge. Judge challenged last night, and so yeah, I think there's some more spots there where where Judge he could because because obviously because they pitched so careful to him, so they're you know a lot of times, you know, throwing them balls on purpose and sometimes those get called So but he'll he'll be good with it over time.
Speaker 1: There are more than seventy thousand events listed on the sea Geek app, So if you're looking to do basically anything this spring or summer, there's one place to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: See Geke has all the concerts, baseball games, World Cup tickets, whatever you need is on cke. Trust me, I'm gonna be hitting some concerts and some festivals this summer. I'm gonna be looking for see geek.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see Aj adding the best tickets he can for concerts and festivals.
Speaker 4: We'll get plenty of pictures there.
Speaker 1: But also when he's looking, what he does is he looks for when he's going to, say an arena for a concert, a green dot meaning he's got a good deal in a good spot.
Speaker 4: That's where Seekek helps you out.
Speaker 1: With over thirty five million downloads, Seekeek is the number one rated ticketing app.
Speaker 4: And of course we have the code for the FT.
Speaker 1: Network Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any tickets with the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account.
Speaker 4: So you can use it later. Props to see Geek.
Speaker 6: So I got to get to are you do you think more? First of all your opinion of it? Second of all, where do you think the majority of managers not named Dave Roberts stand on the Otani rule?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's okay.
Speaker 5: Look, he's you know, he's a new unique player obviously, and and I think I think I haven't sunk my teeth into it that much, honestly, Like I saw Craig's Craig's comments, but I'm I think I'm okay with it. I think it's you know, ultimately probably been a good thing for our game.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hey, let's swing it back to the Yanks. A couple guys that should be back somewhat soon. We'll start with Volpi since he just homered. You know, what do you expect from him? When do you expect him? And is there any concern about a player who is coming off of the shoulder surgery and how they're going to perform. I know that can get tricky for really any position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm expecting. If anything, it's better. You know, he's dealing.
Speaker 5: He's healthy and and we've given this the right amount of time and he has had zero issues with the shoulder now for you know, really the last couple of months as he's built up, he's checked every box and.
Speaker 2: Recovered really well. Every day.
Speaker 5: If anything, he's been wanting more and faster. So uh, he's done a great job and kind of crushed the rehab process in his build up now, I would say, you know, he started with triple A this week. He was in double A last week where he got three or four games. He'll play back to back again. I think he's getting five games in this week, you know, like that five to seven innings. Maybe by the end of the week he'll pop a seven to nine inning games. So kind of like spring training and then we'll see where we're at the following week. As far as getting getting a little more, the one thing he's done is even leading into his rehab, he got a ton of at bats down and down at Florida, live at bats where you know, he had over fifty at bats before he even set foot on the in a rehab game. So that's been good. So he's gotten a lot of work. But probably, you know, realistically still you know, ten days, two weeks away, I would think.
Speaker 6: Is it something that when he comes back he's full go, or is it when you bring pitchers back it's like, okay, eight through seventy in his last outing, it's time to bring him in. And because at shortstop you want his gold glove defense there. But then if you're mixing in other guys four out of seven days, how does that work for you guys? And do you just bang that all out in the minor leagues and say when he's ready, he's ready and he's the guy to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like when we when we bring him, I want him to be ready to pretty much go every day. That doesn't you know? Now, I treat April a little bit different with some of our guys. You know, you're still building up that kind of five five in a row, eight in a row, thirteen in a row that you inevitably have. That's that's still a little unique. So I try to be mindful of that with some of our guys in April. So you know I probably treated like that a little bit. And we got a guy named Cabbyerro on our team that's really good by the way, that I have no problem throwing out there. So yeah, so when he when he's ready to come to us, he'll be built up and pretty much ready to go.
Speaker 2: But you know.
Speaker 5: A little bit of that final build up still exists that first month of the season.
Speaker 3: How about your starting rotation, I know you'd be excited to get some of those guys back to What can you tell us about Garrett, Cole and Rodin? How far aware are they?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So Garrett, Garrett's throwing today or no, tomorrow, I'm sorry tomorrow. He threw his he threw his first rehab start for Double A last week and then and he's slated to go tomorrow against in Hudson Valley our IA team and then Rodin will be on Friday for Hudson Valley our High A team. Carlos is probably a little head of Garrett, So you know, Garrett's still you know, a little slower, more disciplined with his build up. Carlos is a little higher pitch threshold right now. So you know, probably a few weeks a couple few weeks for Carlos and probably a little bit more than that for for Garrett. We'll see, but you know, we're not gonna certainly rush anything, you know, especially with Garrett. You know, we want to give it that full time.
Speaker 3: Sure. Sure, But if someone who has been holding down the four for your starting rotations so far has been Cam Schlitler has been unbelievable so far, how would you say, I know, he's been dealing with the social media stuff, with that whole Boston thing and all that, a how would you have been dealing with it back in the day off social media was around when you guys are playing, and what do you what do you tell him? Then, basically you're just like, hey, the best way to silence them is just go out and pitch well, or what do you What are the conbos like with him about it?
Speaker 8: The comos are like, let's let's let's let's get get off. Let's you know, let's let's lay low a little bit, all right, Cam as far as he handles it great, I mean, it doesn't affect it.
Speaker 2: He does like, if anything, it fuels him a little bit.
Speaker 5: But yeah, he's he's a very talented, obviously very good and skilled picture. But he's also very confident and a very competitive kid. So he handles it all really well. And but that being said, we hey, let's slow it down a little bit, all right, buddy.
Speaker 6: That's that's not your that's not your area. You don't need to take care of the social media for them. They can they can handle it. Let them let him be. That's the new rivalry. That's the new Yankees Red Sox rivalry. Which is my question, is it the same as you played because you're in it right now. You're in the city of Boston. You guys rolled in. It's still look cold do you feel like that rivalry is the Sale Bowl. Hold, Okay, it's freaking freezing, I get it. But John Carlo made it a little bit hotter last night. But my thing is, isn't this the new place that the rivalry kind of plays out a little bit?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Maybe?
Speaker 5: I mean, I always feel like it's big when we come, Like, you know, I've known Boston's on that schedule, like in my in my world, my job, like you're so consumed with the day, but you also know, hey, we're going to Boston, We're going to Fenway next week.
Speaker 2: It's like, so it's always on your radar.
Speaker 5: It always feels big, it always feels exciting, all those kind of things. It was certainly that way when I played when I got here in two thousand and three and my first when I came over at the trade deadline in my first regular season games at Fenway Park in August, and Tim Naring, who at the time who's with us with the Yankees now at the time was with Sinnattie told me, hey, it's a different animal that Yankee Red Sox thing, especially now three was peaking right, And he was right, it was. It was pretty pretty intense, but I feel like that way now too.
Speaker 1: Hey, last one for me, and then I think KRATS will finish with a fun one boonie. Have you had conversations or just even like a positive text vibe to Carlos Mendoza, your buddy going through it right now? Like how much communication goes on besides just some words of encouragement when you have good friends in the industry that are going through the losing streaks that almost everyone's gone through. But it's just it's early, it's grabbing attention, It's New York high payroll team, the whole deal. So it is like the sky is falling across town.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Obviously, Mendy and I are very close, so we're usually in contact. He's one of the there's probably you know, four or five managers that I keep in kind of regular touch with that check in on each other, Like I have a.
Speaker 2: Real reverence and respect for the fraternity. And then within those you know that fraternity, there's a few guys that are really close to me and close friends, and I would put Carlos in that category. So typically we talk every couple few weeks. I talked to him a few days ago just to.
Speaker 5: You know, obviously check in and uh, you know, talk, you know, just be supportive and whatever. So obviously they're going through it, you know, I can I understand that, especially in New York. You know, he's it's a challenging time for them. But I also know what a talented guy he is, what a great guy is, and and that he's also you know, cut out and equipped to handle all of it. So yeah, it just kind of offer a little support. And but he's uh, he's great people and and and I think a great manager.
Speaker 6: Putting a video surf and I want to go back to the days when I played for you. You were my manager. The only time you ever put me in the game besides catching, was to pitch. Is there any chance? Is there any chance who had a better chance to play third? Aaron Judge who was taking ground balls there for me?
Speaker 5: Judge, I'm saying, gratzy, I might have thrown you over there. I have a feeling Jedgie might have done it better than you. But I would have thrown you out there at third. I would have definitely thrown I would have thrown you out there at third. Let's let's let it rip.
Speaker 6: This keeps me, This keeps me going. But could Judge play an entire game at third base with or without you losing your job?
Speaker 2: Well, we're not gonna find out.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, we're not gonna find that.
Speaker 2: Out anytime soon.
Speaker 5: So every now and then, Judge likes to, you know sometimes, you know, in spring, I'll say, hey, go get a first basement glove.
Speaker 2: Throw it off. We got some media members over there watching.
Speaker 5: Whatever, so obviously you know he takes a few grounders with the fellows and yeah, that's gonna get some attention.
Speaker 4: That's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, get the headlines rolling. Kratz has a cannon, so I believe in you Kratz. They just would have to hit it right to you, but otherwise you'd be great, boonie. Great to catch up, man, it's good to see you. We appreciate it the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you bet, take care of guys. Good to see all. Yeah,