Speaker 1: Let's talk socks.
Speaker 2: Andrew Monasteria joining us right now from the Red Sox. Hey, it's great to have you on. Thank you for joining us. How is everything? And welcome to the show for the first time.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, Thank you for the welcome me on, like this has a price for me, Like I don't have like too many invitation for us on shows like this.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: No, of course, that's part of why we like to hear everyone's story, and I think we should do that here just to start. You know, this is a national show, really an international show. Can you just give us a little bit of a glimpse of your story of how you got here and some of your backgrounds for you know, maybe fans that don't know as much about you that you know aren't following, say the Red Sox or the Brewers from last year.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I signed as international free agent twenty fourteen with the Cops and then I spent four years there until my room five, and then I get trade to the Nationals for Daniel Murphy and then next year trade to the Guardians for Jian Gomes and then I spent like two more years with the Guardians organization free agent minor leaguer, signed with the Brewers later that year, later next year, big leaguer for three years and then get trade before spring training this year to the Rex, you.
Speaker 4: Got traded for some big names. Do use that pressure on you? You got traded for some names there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when I signed for fight K, it's no pressure at all, you know, like, yeah, I signed for five K, and then I get my opportunity, you know, like basically by myself like playing on like you know, trying to get better every day and like show off some you know, show up on the field and like playing to get better every day. I think that's like my first goal, and I think that's why I bring me here.
Speaker 5: I like it. I like it.
Speaker 4: But I just got to ask you. You're from Caracas, You're from Venezuela. Have you still are you still basking in the glow of the WBC and Venezuela World champions Do you do you and Contreras walk around the Red Sox Clubhouse and just have the Venezuelan flag on twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: No, so for the guys like when they win the championees, I was there.
Speaker 1: I was there on the crowd.
Speaker 3: Lke after that game the next day like they were the UNI whatever and the next day like that's done.
Speaker 1: You know, we're focus on the recks.
Speaker 5: But you were in the crowd watching. You were in the crowd watching.
Speaker 4: Did you have to buy a ticket or did Yeppie get you your pass list?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I buy I think I got a funny story about that because we were in spring training and like I was waiting for Alice Gorda send the schedule for the next day. So I wasn't playing, so I take a trip to from four my years to Miami, like two hours, two hours and a half.
Speaker 1: If I was starting the next day.
Speaker 3: I don't want to travel to that game, you know, like I get a basically day off the next day. So I traveled to Miami to watch the game, to watch the guys. And it was funny because like all the American people ask us, like why we're chanting when every USA hitter has to strike, We're basically call him punches or punching in English is a strikeout. So like the entire stadium like chanting strike out every time the USA player has two strikes.
Speaker 1: That was cool.
Speaker 5: Did you go with anybody? Was it just you?
Speaker 3: My cousin, So he gets signed with the Tigers, he played three years and then get released and he's living in Miami right now.
Speaker 6: Did anybody recognize you because you're I mean, you've been a big league for a long time. Even playing with the Red Sox in spring training there's a lot of Venezuela's. Did they recognize you?
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to be low key.
Speaker 3: You know, I got my hoodie, but like some people recognize me, some people reorganize me.
Speaker 6: You probably had a nice hoodie, probably like maybe some Docia Cabana hoodie with some glasses.
Speaker 3: No, no, I never buy those type of clothes. So I got fashion Noah right now, like twenty bucks, share like forty bucks.
Speaker 1: Dance.
Speaker 3: I like fashion Noah, Fashion Noah, lose fancy ship, I like it.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 4: I got one more question on this whole thing. Did you since you were not playing the next day, did you go out with the Venezuela team after they won the championship? Because I heard they had any decent parties. You didn't go to the party afterwards?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 3: So I was in the group shot, you know, like I was part of like the team before, like the official So it wasn't like the sixty seventy.
Speaker 1: Players whatever they call like what's up group.
Speaker 3: But I didn't make the roster because like Omar Lopez said, like, oh, I just get trade.
Speaker 1: You know, you focus on the on your new team.
Speaker 3: They don't know you as well, like the Brewers, you know, like those kinds of things like happens before spring training or like before you get trade, and like that's why the reason I didn't make the roster, that was Omar Lopez tell me.
Speaker 1: And like I didn't. I didn't notificate the guys, like I.
Speaker 3: Went to the game, you know, I just went to the game enjoy it because that was the first like major sport like Venezuela and being champion. We never being in a World Cup like soccer World Cup. Never, we never win something basketball. So that's the first thing like Venezuela as a major team win something, you know. So that was so special for all the Venezuelan cities. And I just went there support the guys and then I live after the game.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the mac Weldon line that resonates with me. The go to choice for guys who want to look great without even trying. Hibernation time is over, and that means it's time for a wardrobe change. Bye bye layers, Hello shorts and breathable clothing. Discover upgraded basics, fresh styles and more at macweldon dot com. Plus get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five dollars or more with code foul. Mac Weldon is effortless by design, always in style, versatile and made from the world's most comfortable performance materials. You should check out the Ace collection. That's one of the items I just got for super comfy shorts. It's closed for every occasion. I like to keep it simple. This is for that day to day classic look that makes matching easy. Get moving with mac Weldon comfortable anywhere. Go to macweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred twenty five dollars or more with promo code foul. That's m ack w E L d o N dot com code f o U L.
Speaker 6: Will you want to play the next one? Because you'll be a free agent. If I'm looking at the time, you'll be coming up to your free agent year. There's always something would you want to play in the next one? Even if it is going to be your free agent year.
Speaker 3: So I was I was down for this one, like if they need me going, you know, like, so this is something like I was playing with. This is like for Benezula and Citizen. This isn't more than like WBC. This is like a pride you know, so like we want to win this because we never win something, you know, like before whenever we win something, so like we want to win this so bad. So so for the next one they need me, I want to be down for sure.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: I love it. I love the pride of the country.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially especially the other It's like America is finally catching up with the other countries as far as how much this means to people.
Speaker 5: So it's it's it's an awesome turn. I love it was great now we could now we can talk red SOX. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and also the transition, So, like you mentioned, Omar Lopez said, hey, you've got traded focus on that. So, so what was that like for you? I mean, you spent your first few years with the Brewers. That's a well run machine that's been very successful. You head over to Boston. What's it been like for you? Like, what are some similarities differences. I can give you one easy one to start with. Nobody in baseball is like Pat Murphy. He comes up on the show all the time with all of his funny quotes. So no matter what, it's going to be different because you don't have a guy cracking jokes.
Speaker 5: What's it been like?
Speaker 3: So my story is like I was in Florida doing my off season work and then I traveled to arisona Saturday, so I shoot my car, I travel there, I do all my stuff. I get there Saturday, and then Monday morning I get trade. So I was in Florida and then travel to Arizona to report to like brew versus Sprint training and two days after that, I have to come back to Florida because I get trade. And I was like I was ready. I was driving to the company something they called me. Guy from the front office called me like, oh you you get trade. And I had to come back to my home waiting for Craig Bridgelow call me. On AC called me. Those guy from the Rexes called me. And then I picked all my stuff in the Brewers compass. And then the next day I traveled to Form Life. So I for either artists on artists on not Florida in like three days spent something like that.
Speaker 5: How hard? How hard was it?
Speaker 6: You're going to a new organization you talked about ac and then you're there for a month and a half and the new manager in the new organization that you're just joined gets fired? How hard is that transition been the whole time, not just from him getting fired but then into the organization.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how you said?
Speaker 3: So I basically I am new here, you know, I just have like two months or two months and a half. So yeah, for every guy, was like tough, but it's something like you can't control, you know, so like this part of business or you have to like move forward, and like we have we have a meeting like after that day in Baltimore, and like we keep going. So I think the guy is playing better and also like we want to be fine. I think we want to play in October. And I believe in my guys. I'm like I pull all my best on my guy. Well, like the thing is like it's something that you cannot have on mind because it's something you can control us a player, you can control that.
Speaker 1: But it's tough, but like you know, you have to move forward.
Speaker 2: Do you have a rule where you always have to play with the contrarast So you had William and now you're playing with Wilson. What are those two like in terms of similarities and differences. I mean, you know, Wilson's having a great year and his transition to first base has been great the last few years. But also you know, he's loud, he's eccentric. He often is part of our show in terms of a news or storyline that we hit, you know, with him going back and forth with teams. We love it because he stands out.
Speaker 3: So it's cool, you know, like you never like when you sign on, when you when you are in the minor league, you never expected like playing with brothers. And also like they are pretty good players, you know, but like I think they are different a little bit. I think they are different. So Wilson, it's I think it's a little more funny than than William. William is like Roki his war like he's a hard worker. I think like Williams. I think they are they are like hard workers. But I think Williams is like a little hard workers and him I remember, like we didn't invite me to the Geen like fight during the morning and said, williamt come on, bro, so fight during the morning spring training, you know, like I know, like Williams, so you know we're gonna play. So by myself, I have to be ready every day when Patmorphy ed me in spring training, so like William made his own schedule, so I have to be ready every day.
Speaker 1: And William can't come bro, like fight fight in the morning, and he gets mad at me.
Speaker 3: But like, so that's something like you like as a teammate, you will say, oh, this guy, you know he's gonna be good. You know he's gonna be great when he when his career is down, you know. And it's something I said, like he asking me to join him to be great.
Speaker 1: You know that's cool.
Speaker 5: So wait, does does Wilson not ask you to join him? Now? Just William? What I mean? Did they not talk to me? Maybe maybe he's not doing oh yeah, maybe he's not at five am. But I mean, yeah, Wilson.
Speaker 3: So with Williams in the Brewers, like I hit him within, well, I don't join him in the weight room by hitting with him. And I do the same with William here Wilson here, I hitting with him in the cage and always asking Wilson about like hitting because I want to improve. Like part of my on, my join on my wholeshold every day is like I want to be better because I know where I come from, so.
Speaker 1: Nobody believe on me.
Speaker 3: When I was sixteen years old, so my last royale when I was signed by the Cups with five K, and then I remember the guy having in the academy.
Speaker 1: Said that this is your last right. Yeah, if you don't sign, you go home. So like.
Speaker 3: Dane Lower, I get my sign when I was sixteen, and now I'm here, you know, like he's a blessing. And also it's something like I can't I come here with nothing and now I'll believe you know, like nobody, no everybody can say if you're playing the buildings, I love that.
Speaker 6: I love that, and I love that we know that story now too. But you were you were part of both sides of the Wilson contrares getting mad about getting hit. You were you were you watched him get hit when you played for the Brewers, and then you watched him get hit and get mad with the Red Sox.
Speaker 5: Did he confide in you? Did he talk to you at all? After that? And like, hey, you remember every time that he hit me?
Speaker 3: So when I when I get to the Brewers, that was his first year with the Cardinals. I think his first or second year with the Cardinals. So like I think the the issues coming when he played with the Cops. So I don't know the entire story about it, but like when he gets hit by here in Boston is because like he said, like the brew would hit him like forty times, you know, like it's like how many times you want to hit me again and again? You know, but like it's something like everybody can get mad when you get like thrill every time, but it's nothing after that. You know, that was the day and after that we don't talking about that because I think, I like, that's the moment you know, when like you get hot all the stuff.
Speaker 4: Wait, would you who would you have fought though? Who would you have fought on the Brewers? If you guys would have really fought after all that? Who would you would you have picked one guy in the Brewers who was the one guy was a Ben William Catz.
Speaker 5: You would have been like, I'm standing up for your brother. You have fought? Would you have gone after.
Speaker 1: You ask me? You ask me who I fight? Why?
Speaker 5: Yeah, rebate you don't you don't want to get a rebat given.
Speaker 3: You the Hey, I saw that this morning.
Speaker 1: That happened yesterday. I saw that this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe okay, don't know or tea.
Speaker 5: Or you know, don't.
Speaker 1: That's my guy. I love those guys, but like I have to go for the but the skin is one. You know. I can't skinny to on one night. I cannot go to the.
Speaker 6: Maybe Terran maybe Terrans skinny. But he's like fast, he's shifting.
Speaker 1: No to Yan to rise the superstar.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: That's my guy too. I love him.
Speaker 3: I love all the guys in the Brewers, like I spent a lot of time there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Now I'm focusing hearing the wreck sos Like Boston is nice, bro, these fans, the rexs are amazing. I remember, like two days ago we play the Twins like under the Rain, and those guys was here like they were like outside the ceiling, like they was we all under the rain.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, that's cool. He j gave me a.
Speaker 5: Line of blue chew. Well, do you need help with your love life? Scott?
Speaker 1: Perhaps?
Speaker 5: Do you want a turbocharge your love life?
Speaker 4: Yes, well, then you need blue Choo Gold because it has four active ingredients that help you not only two turbocharge, but you can supercharge it if you take one of these.
Speaker 2: And AJ is talking about that new erausal boosting formula that combines passion and performance into one tablet that dissolves under your tongue for super fast on set. No more waiting for a pill to kick in, No more moments ruined by performance anxiety. Just the results you want when you want them. Discover your options at blue choo dot com. A special deal is there for the ftfam right now. When you buy two months of bluech You Gold, you get the third for free with promo code foul. That's promo code foul. Visit blue you dot com for more details and important safety information. Thank you to blue Choo for sponsoring the show, and thank you AJ for talking love life. The process is simple and it's all online. Get started today at bluecho dot com and go for gold.
Speaker 6: What is the energy like in Fenway compared to you know the playoff runs? Because I always felt like Fenway had just incredible energy, whether the Red Sox were good or they were bad. What is the energy like for you playing in Fenway.
Speaker 3: A friendly is amazing. So in twenty twenty four I come here with the Brewers. I didn't have the chance to play, to be on the field, but I saw the almost fear here.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: On like the a inning with the with the sound they have here, that's amazing. Sweet Carolina is amazing. That's something like Monday till Sundays back. You know it's back it and like that's amazing. And I always the fan here, like when you have like the parking here outside the clubhouse, when you want to pick your car, is the fence over there, Like they recognize you, Like I'm also the Rexes fans are like when five years old to like sixty seventy eighties old, so like it's all all the generations like Rexes fans, like all the Rexs all around the CD.
Speaker 1: I like they're recognize you. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it is deeply in the fabric of the city. I have one more for you. This has a little bit of relation to what we're talking about with with abnue eBay, but but it's a bigger picture question for you.
Speaker 5: So he did his thing.
Speaker 2: Murph didn't like it, but the whole backstory was that they thought, you know, they were they were getting a tip or signs or whatever. It is, right, that stuff happens all the time. So I'm just asking you a general baseball question. How how much is that a part of the everyday game right now? Where you know, one side chirping at the other that they're taking a sign. Because also we've talked about this, AJ can jump in for a second. Nowadays, Sometimes guy's standing on second base and he's just like, I'm going to do this when I see a slider grip and then otherwise I'll be here if it's fastball. So it's changed a lot in the sport, even in the last few years since you were in the majors.
Speaker 3: So I think that's something like one hundred percent of the game. So, uh, I was part of Brewers and now I'm part of the wrexas, Like we have our heaters meetings every day, and like the Haters meeting, you got something from somebody speaching, you know, so like stealing a basis keeping a second, what else, like something like he's gonna field his position or something like that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's part of the game. And like I know the preachers are mad about it. But it's part of the game. That's you know, it's part of the game.
Speaker 5: It is part of the game. You're right, But I need one thing.
Speaker 4: What's the biggest difference between AC Alex Cora and your new manager? Is there one big difference that you notice? The communication thing?
Speaker 5: Is it? Is it a way they talk to you? What's the biggest difference?
Speaker 4: You know, because you know AC was so loved there for so long, and now they just came with a new, new, new group of coaches. What's the one thing you noticed that's the biggest difference.
Speaker 3: So AC has speak Spanish and chetspeak English. Well, I think it's the same. So Shot Tracy is like power of the AC like coaching stuff, you know, you know what I mean. So, like they always together, so I think they are the same guy. And like they say here like Shot is like power the AC coaching stuff when he was here.
Speaker 1: So I think it's the same guy.
Speaker 3: So I always talk into Shot too, So like maybe Shot is like first year in in the big league, you know, so like maybe he's a little shy a little bit, but it's the same guy. So I see and Shot is the same guy. Shot is Shot is a little more quiet, a little more quiet acy. You know, Ac is like jumping, hey, what's that?
Speaker 1: You know that kind of things. But I think that's the same guy.
Speaker 3: I always talking to Ac, asking to to I make him questions like I do the same Shot. I'm also floors the bench coach, you know, like he's power of the AC coaching stuff too.
Speaker 1: So like I think we are the same here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, chat do too, so chatter person I played against in the minor league, the third base forever.
Speaker 5: We played against Ebbie forever.
Speaker 3: I got a question for you guys. Thank you for even buying me, but like why, like why you guys can bite me. This is the first thing I in that show like these. The other thing was when like I hit the homeworks in Cincinnati and like m Bell call me, well that's something like you know, inter beautiful that moment.
Speaker 1: But now this is my first time in the show like this.
Speaker 2: So it's a great question. And what we do when we booked guests, we do a combination of things. We talked to teams, we talked to players, we talked to agents. In this case, obviously, we reached out to you online through our account because we didn't know you, right, we didn't know you.
Speaker 5: We hadn't you know, seen you much in Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: And you did the you did the one interview last year with Ken Rosenthal. You remember, you got the walk off hit. Oh yeah, and it was awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And so they're always saying, oh, do you know this guy?
Speaker 4: And I was like, he did this interview in Milwaukee and and what was the best the most amazing part for me?
Speaker 5: You did it in English and you did it like this really good.
Speaker 4: And so we're always trying to find It's hard for us because we don't speak good Spanish. We speak bad Spanish, right for us. Krat stinks he speaks Spanish, but he speaks Spanish like I do. It's like he knows all the bad words and those a couple of good words in there, right. But so we're always looking for Latin guys that can speak English because I love hearing the story of you signing for five thousand dollars, right, and then how you had to work your way up and this and that. I mean, I love those stories. And then they're like, hey, who do you got, And I'm like, Monastereo, you did an awesome interview again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great way to get trillion for our show.
Speaker 2: I mean, we have players on every day, so yeah, we want to try and get on as many different guys as possible hear their story, and then sometimes we bring on a guy like you, and you're a great speaker. You got to do more of these.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well I'm trying to get better.
Speaker 3: To be honest, I'm trying to get but a trying to sound more like American guy, you know, but like, no, no English, but yeah he's speaking, but you'll I was like, no, I have my accent, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: No, I wish I had Well, I actually wish I had an accident because I'd be.
Speaker 4: So much cooler whenever I traveled to somewhere else and I hear like the Aussie or the British guy talk, I'm like, I wish I had that accident. Would be super cool to walk around America and have the oh no shoop on the Bobby.
Speaker 2: Well, you sound great, Andrew, You're you're really well spoken. Really enjoyed it. We'll invite you back. But it was great to have you. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Great. Hold on you're your birthday, oh birthday.
Speaker 1: Saturday, Saturday, Saturday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, were having a party.
Speaker 1: Nice. Thank you guys. If you guys need me a game, let me know.
Speaker 5: No, no, are you having a party on Saturday? Guys, he's got a game.
Speaker 3: I have a gang on Saturday and Sundays, you know day games on le chance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Sunday travel travel Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was, Oh yeah, you're right. Well anyway, I got a game.
Speaker 5: You got a game. You got a game. You got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you may now you now, now you may everything that. So thank you.
Speaker 5: Thank I guys looking to what you guys are. Thank you again, though, do you thank you? Gets to the park.
Speaker 2: We'll we'll invite you back, all right, Thank you, thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you,