Speaker 1: On Monday.
Speaker 2: We talked a lot about the issues that this team has, but we still have to be confident going into Week three. So what are you most confident in about this team as they face the Texas?
Speaker 3: The quarterback, the offense as well.
Speaker 2: Welcome in to jag Dam on this Wednesday and Kai Nannie Stephens in here with Brian Sexton, John Oser, and as I mentioned, we're turning the page today. We're going to talk positive all day on Wednesday. I've decided because we kind of went in on it a little bit on Monday and the sky is not falling. Things are okay because you guys still mention what you're most confident in is the issue we were most concerned about.
Speaker 3: When you said that was your question, I thought, where do I want to go with this? Do you want to talk about the linebackers? Don't want to talk about the secondary, the defense that's played so well, Evan Ingram, the receivers. There's really a little bit on the interior of the offensive line, there's some concern, But other than that, I think this team can turn it around pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: History shows us that these players on offense are good. Doug Peterson's offense over the course of time and the Chiefs offense. Frankly, it's very similar. Produces, it works. I think Trevor Lawrence is a good player. We've seen that so over seventeen games. They are going to be a good offense.
Speaker 3: At least. Neither one of us, said Logan Cook, even though he's the best punter in the league. So who wouldn't have confidence in him? But there was a time in twenty twenty twenty one where he would have said, hey man, Logan Cook, best player on the team.
Speaker 2: It's dire times when you're going to the punter. Although we do love you, Logan Cook. No nothing against him. We love you, and we love the banana ball and all of that. Let's get into our big things today, because why not.
Speaker 1: We're turning the page. That's our first big.
Speaker 2: Thing today because, as I mentioned, what happened in week two against the Chiefs hopefully is an isolated incident. Yes you have to watch the tape, Yes you have to learn from it, but we got to move on.
Speaker 1: Mentally.
Speaker 2: That team meets to move on too, because, as we discussed, at certain points, if you don't, you know, turn the page and move on to the next game you have ahead of you, then things can spiral, and that's when we would become really concerned. Brian, do you feel that the team is in the right place to move forward this week? And I kind of put this behind them.
Speaker 3: I do, And you know, I talked on Monday a little bit about how I thought last week that Doug Peterson came into his Wednesday press conference, he wasn't himself. He was absolutely himself on Monday. There's an old action in the NFL. Don't let him beat you twice. You know, it's one thing to get beat, especially by the defending Super Bowl champs, but don't let the hangover of a poor performance put you in peril of losing to the Texans the next week. And it was clear to me from the moment that Doug started talking on Monday that he had his focus and thus the team's focus in the right place.
Speaker 5: I think they are. I also think it's not It's not something that you can assume. And I guess what I mean is this last year they were two and six and then sort of had to punch their way back into the postseason. So at no point have they really been considered a good team, and then sort of had a body blow and had an early season.
Speaker 4: This is new form.
Speaker 5: I guess my point. They're favored in this game. They believe they ought to win. They're playing a young team that they quote ought to beat. They have been in a situation before, and it's a division game, so it's big. I hate the word trap game, but if anything fit, you know, not trap, whatever, but they have never really done this thing where they've sort of proven okay, we're better.
Speaker 3: Trap would fit, though. I mean, I think trap would have fit this week if if they had beaten Sure, if they had beaten the Chiefs, then you could say there's a trap. I think if anything else, it's the reverse of that. This week there is a hyper focus with the loss of Kansasity. And look, we said this on Monday. It's one thing to lose to Kansasity. They're the defending world champions. Patrick Mahomes is the best player in the league. There's no disgrace in that. The hangover effect here is that the offense just looks so out of sync, and we expected the offense to not look that way, right. We didn't expect them to lose the weight that they did. But John, I think you wrote this a couple of times. You know, they had a shot with five minutes left in the red zone of the Chiefs and they just didn't get it done. It wasn't like they weren't even in a position to win the game, and they played very poorly on offense. So there's a lot of reasons to believe that they will be ready to go.
Speaker 4: Good teams handle this thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely they do.
Speaker 2: It will be very telling. Our next big thing is South setup. We mentioned it a little bit, but this is the second divisional game in three weeks that they've had. So these games, you know, they almost count double, right, So these are going to set them up to get where they want to be.
Speaker 1: In the postseason.
Speaker 2: If you can win your divisional games, the other stuff will come. And that is part of why we don't want them overlooking this week, John, I know that sometimes the Texans, I guess a division opponent, anybody has a little bit of a buggaboo with them, But things on paid should play out well again Houston.
Speaker 5: Well, as I said Monday, I'm not a big believer that teams in the past have had the Jaguars number, because in the past, everybody had the Jaguars numbers the players, they haven't been as good as teams. This is so that sort of thing I don't think really applies to this bunch. I think this goes back to what the theme of the week is. It's a game that everybody would say, and even players they are, they ought to win.
Speaker 4: You ought to handle business.
Speaker 5: It ought to There's no easy games in the NFL, but you ought to know it.
Speaker 4: By five minutes left, that is the better team. You think. That's what they are, It's what they're supposed to be. They got to do it.
Speaker 3: Now. Here's the hang up. This was a game the Jaguars were supposed to win last year in Week five and Davis Mills as their starting quarterback. By all accounts, they were not as talented, but they're not as talented now they weren't then, and the Jaguars couldn't score a touchdown and lost thirteen to six. The quarterback had a terrible day. He made an awful throw into the end zone, one that probably got him focused on playing better football. So, yes, the Jaguer should win this game. They should have won this game last year. This john is a very big test in the sense that this is that game, win the games. If you're a good team, you win the games you're supposed to. And this might be the first time we've seen that.
Speaker 5: I think they're a different team than they were this time last year. They got to show expectations.
Speaker 2: Our final big thing is going to be anger management, part of turning the pages, using that frustration that we saw a lot of in the locker room and postgame with Doug Peterson as well, turning that frustration into production and turning that into something because you can't just be mad about it.
Speaker 1: You have to fix it, right.
Speaker 2: So, Brian, we talked a lot about how they're able to do that with Doug Peterson at the Helm, because I think he's that kind of coach that can use that to motivate his team.
Speaker 3: Look at and I don't want to intimate that they're not working hard and they're not working long hours, but you know that excellence is generally achieved by doing a little bit more than others think is wise, right, by caring a little bit more than other people believe is necessary. It's that little bit more. Twenty more minutes on the iPad instead of twenty minutes on Instagram, right, probably makes a difference this week in somebody's game. It's not about playing angry. It's about using the frustration to be smarter, to do a little bit extra, something a little bit different in your preparation that gives you back that focus and gives you the edge just a little bit. Right. There's a great motivational speaker, Anthony Robbins, and he talks about two millimeters. It's just two millimeters on a turn of the wrench makes an amazing amount of difference for them. This week, it's about finding the two millimeters and getting sharpened again.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna kind of go the other way. I think it is necessary to channel it.
Speaker 5: I think Doug's challenge this week a little bit is they If there was a theme out of the Chiefs game, it's that he thought they were maybe trying a little too hard at the big moments to make a play to be the guy. I think offensively, at least, it very much sounded to me on Monday like his emphasis this week is going to.
Speaker 4: Be, Look, we've got the players to do this.
Speaker 5: Everybody doesn't have to score an eighty or a touchdown on every play, Trevor, you don't necessarily have to score that touchdown in the red zone. You can hand it to Travis four times. At no point did you get a vibe from Doug on Monday that they didn't care.
Speaker 4: It was more, look, we're good. Just let the game come to you.
Speaker 3: And what you just said could be the two millimeters right, figuring out to hand the ball off four times, whatever that might be.
Speaker 2: Yes, just small things, little things, execution as we said.
Speaker 3: Right, and or calming down right yep, knowing that you're good as opposed to we got to go beat the Chiefs so that everybody knows that we're good.
Speaker 2: No overreacting this week when they take on the Texans. All right, we're here on jag Zam presented by Jet Home Loans. Stay with us, coming back, We're going to talk about the AFC South and what's going on around the division. For ten years, Dreambinder's Homes has been proud to call themselves the official homebuilder jas Wars. Visit Dreamfindershomes dot com for all of the available inventory and go jags. Welcome back into jags Am here in the Hyundai Studios presented by Jet Home Loans today and we're going to go around the AFC South because we want to keep you guys up to day and on what's going on in the division so that you can kind of see where the Jags stand with things. So there's three teams that are one in one in the division right now, and there's one team that's ozho and two and that would be Houston, the team coming to town. So, Brian, when you look at the Texans, we're going to get a little bit more into the specific game plan later in the week, but they're owing to They've got a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 1: What's been going on with them?
Speaker 3: Well, look, they've fallen behind by double digits in both of their first two games, to Baltimore last week to Indianapolis. They don't have the vertical playmakers that we've all come to know in Houston, and when they fallen behind, they've had to abandon the run and it's left CJ. Stroud to throw the ball. John. He threw the ball forty four times in the lost to Baltimore. Look thrown forty times for rookie is a formula for loss, and then forty seven last week. He's completing about sixty six percent of his passes and he has no interceptions. So he's doing some good things. It's just he's found himself in a position where he's had to do it all himself, and that's tough to do in this league.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all indications are that he's the real deal. They think they found their guy. The issue, the main issue there is they feel like they're probably a year away in terms of draft, in terms of free agency, from sort of getting back on the plane where they have a chance to compete. The second issue is of their offensive line. They have one starter healthy right now that they've got projected, and it's sometimes you see that and they're playing okay with this bunch. They're giving up a lot of his on the quarterback and a lot of sacks. There was a fumble, a very key fumble last week for stra This is the time where the Jaguars need to take advantage of this and feel like the stronger team.
Speaker 3: He's been sacked eleven times, the most in the league, and he stumbled three times and lost two of those. So they have extra draft picks and cap room from the Deshaun Watson trade in the next year. It won't take long. He looks like he might be the real deal, too.
Speaker 1: Time to start building around him.
Speaker 2: We'll get into a little bit of the rookie quarterbacks in the division later on in the show. We're going to go to the Colts now, who got a win against the Texans last week, and they did it without Anthony Richardson for much of that game because he left with a concussion. Went to the concussion protocol and Gardner Minshew, our old friend was in the game, and they were able to tick down the Texans and get a win.
Speaker 1: So they're at one in one as well.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 2: Is Anthony Richardson going to deal with some of those issues being a running quarterback? Is this going to be part of the problem or can he adapt to the NFL style and protect himself a little bit more?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Trevor after the game in the opener said, hey, protect yourself.
Speaker 4: I'm summarizing.
Speaker 3: I wasn't there, but.
Speaker 4: This is a league of big, strong, fast, defensive players. Uh. Historically, when quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: Puts themselves in position to get hit a lot, it over time shortens their career. This is a little bit different. He's gotten hurt twice in two games. Yeah, probably a little bit of flukey in that. You can't say, okay, well, that's gonna happen all the time. Guys have played this way and played ten or eleven years. But it's one reason the league over time, you know, typically likes guys who stand in the pocket.
Speaker 4: Even in this day of of of of.
Speaker 5: Running quarterbacks, teams would still prefer a guy who can protect himself because of the longevity of the position. It's changing a little bit, but deep down in the gut of this league, you you always get worried when your quarterback.
Speaker 4: Takes a lot of hits. Uh.
Speaker 3: Mitschew came in, as you mentioned, it was eleven to fourteen. I mean, typical Minshew. He's not gonna throw the ball down the field, but he completed it enough passes and took advantage of the league that they have. Uh. Teams know how to prepare for Gardner. Minshew very different than Anthony Richardson. So if the Colts, who are built around Richardson have to rely on Minshew, they're going to struggle. They just don't. They just aren't built to be that team right now. Although Shane Steichen said he was very impressed with Minshew, and it's hard to argue. I mean, Minch's a guy who comes in and he gets the job done. In situations where it looks bleak, you lose your starting quarterback.
Speaker 5: There was a feeling up there that if Minshew had played all season and started, they're probably a seven win team and probably a five win team with Richardson, you you know, he's a little more.
Speaker 4: Ready to be okay.
Speaker 5: Now, it's just that Richardson they think has the ability to be great long term.
Speaker 4: So why Dylan Gardner has that great long.
Speaker 1: Term and he needs the reps for sure.
Speaker 2: Hopefully gets back on the field quickly, and then we're going to head over to the Titans now because they are one in one as well. They came back against the Chargers to get their first win of the season. As they went into that game oh to one, Tannehill bounced back. Obviously, they kept him in town because they want to kind of keep this all going. Ryan, we talked about this, but Henry not exactly that. Derrick Henry were just same.
Speaker 3: No, they've got to have Tannehill. It appears tanner Hill led the league last week in yards per attempt. He was over ten point three yards per attempt and led them down. If you have played very well a week after throwing three interceptions in their loss to the Saints. The problem for the Titans is going to be do they have the guns the receivers to be able to get down the field like that. Derrick Henry is second in the league in rushing attempts, but he is thirty fifth in the league in yards per attempt. So you can see that maybe all the years of all the carries are starting to wear on him. You know, in his career, he's never averaged below four point two yards per carry, so three point five is pretty low for him. If the Titans are going to compete, they're going to need their quarterback. They can get some days from Derrick Henry, but if they don't have Tannehill, it appears that they're going to struggle.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I always say count these guys at John Peril. I mean, everybody sort of said at the beginning of the season the Jaguars, we're gonna run away with this division.
Speaker 4: I really bought into that.
Speaker 5: I get that maybe Derrick Henry isn't Dereck Henry superman. They beat the Chargers last week, and I think the Chargers are good. They figure out a way to win. The Jaguars are gonna need to get a double digit number to be away from this tame this year.
Speaker 3: The key for them is their quarterback playing well. And if he does, it'll it'll give Derick Henry a chance to have some room to run.
Speaker 2: Seems like a coin flip though, whether we're gonna see good Tannehill or bad Tannahill.
Speaker 3: The says, so we'll have thirty five years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have to see all right, Stay with us here on jags Am presented in part by Fields Auto Group Jackson. They'll step up until luxury Fields Auto dot Com. We're gonna do this or that when we get back after the break, we may Price dot com is the easiest way to save money with comparison shopping, cashback coupons all in one.
Speaker 1: It's free.
Speaker 2: Try price dot com today.
Speaker 4: We prop gonna throws my home.
Speaker 3: Look here, he's gonna get hit, but that'll be a sack for Klevon.
Speaker 4: Chase On.
Speaker 3: You have Chase on credit, kept on working, working, working, Randall hump around Donovan Smith, but give the credit. You like a different.
Speaker 2: Different this this exam, we're gonna do this or that today, presented by Price dot Com. John, I know you love the word trap game, but how's that involved in you this or that today?
Speaker 4: Well? Is this a trap game?
Speaker 5: Which or I think it's the other word I hate with a statement game is you know, I don't like either one, but I do believe if you can call anything a division statement, Brian, I think this might be a week to do that. To me, this is a game good teams win if you're going to control your division. This is the kind of game you get early. You're playing at home. He's a team you ought to beat. It just ought to be one of those twenty eight thirteen. You're not worried about it in the in the last five minutes of the game. If it doesn't go that way, it's not a reason to panic. But that's what you'd like to see out of this team that you believe is going to be, that you believe is on the upswing, that you believe is going to be one of those teams moving forward, those kind of teams do that this week.
Speaker 3: I know you don't like the idea. Also, I don't like very much. No I know of a team having the other team's number, but the Texans have. I mean, in two thousand and two they came in as an expansion team and Jermaine Lewis returned to punt for a touchdown and the expansion Texans beat the Jaguars in their first ever meeting. And then, of course, last year, there was no reason why the Jaguars should lose to Davis Mills and that bunch of guys, but they did. So there have been moments where it's happened. So I'm gonna say that this is a Yeah, I don't like trap game out there's a division statement, and it better be mean. I'm the guy who said I think the Jags sweep the division in my hot take before the season. Right, you don't need to kill them. You don't need to win by thirty seven points to you know, to establish it. But come out win the ball game. Don't make it close, you know, don't be in the fourth quarter wondering, hey, we're gonna get this one or not.
Speaker 1: I think it was later in the year.
Speaker 2: I might go a trap game because I think sometimes these division opponents can sneak up on you a little bit when it's a game you're supposed to win. But I think because we're only in the third week, I'll go a statement win and I think hopefully they can show their best version of their offense, so that we have high hopes heading into London.
Speaker 3: If it's a trap game after a loss, you got a good.
Speaker 1: Team, let's hope. So I think they're good, Brian, what's here and this or that for this week?
Speaker 3: Well, which quarterback would you rather have? The Jaguars will see the two rookies in the division in the first three weeks, and we saw Anthony Richardson and John You alluded to him. His traits, his physical characteristics give him the chance to be great. And we saw a very limited game planner opening day. The executed it pretty well and he's higg and fast and guys have to account for him when he starts to get outside the pocket. And then you've got CJ. Stroud, who is by all accounts of pocket passer. You know, scrambled three times last week for a grand total of one yard. It's not what he wants to do. He's a guy who can stand back there. He's sixty six percent accurate in terms of his completion percentage and seems very comfortable there. So which of these two quarterbacks do you think has a better chance long term to be that guy that gets his team into the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Of Stroud without Quick.
Speaker 5: I mean, but I'm a pocket passer guy, so I think Straud is out of question because I think he'll be healthy for the long term and he's already sixty six percent under the dress he's been in all indications or he's he's on his way to being that, And I think with Richardson has a lot of questions.
Speaker 2: And that's just a gamble, right, Like Anthony Richardson, we don't know, we haven't seen a ton of him, and now he's been hurt in these two games so far in the NFL season. So I would like to be a gambling woman and pick Richardson, but I think I'm gonna Well.
Speaker 3: The one thing it's worthy of pointing out is that Richardson isn't an offense like Jalen Hurts. If you saw the Vikings Eagles game last Thursday night, when they couldn't get the passing game going, AJ Brown was out of sync. They just started handing the ball off and DeAndre Swift had a big day, and when the Vikings collapsed on Swift, well here comes Jalen Hurts. I mean, I do think that the Colts have an opportunity to have something. I don't know how long it will last if you can't stay healthy, But I like Richardson. I'm intrigued by him.
Speaker 2: It would be so cool to see them if they had a running game going right now with the Colts going, we.
Speaker 3: Might we might see that in October, because yeah, that's when the running back Jonathan Taylor is back. He'll be back in action. You would think somewhere.
Speaker 1: It'll be playing somewhere.
Speaker 3: When we see them, Yes, September fifteenth.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, let's hope, so all right for my list or that this week? We want to see the offense bounce back. But who would you like to see a bigger day from on Sundays? At the running backs or the wide receivers. Now we're kind of getting on both sides of the issue the other day. But Brian, when you look at that, which one do you want to see?
Speaker 3: Running backs? I want to see the running game get started. Fred Taylor, of course, he's always going to want to see the running game. But he and I had a long conversation about this on Sunday afternoon, and he said, why have they given up the run? With an offensive line that is struggling to keep Trevor clean, and they were on Sunday, and to a large degree, they were on Opening Day in Indianapolis. The running game slows all that down, It calms everything down, and it gives Trevor more time in the pocket to get the receiver started. So from my perspective, I know this is a team that's going to use the pass to set up the run. I know that's where it's headed. But on Sunday, I'd like to see them use the run to set up the pass until everything settles down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Fred's gonna have a long wait because this is and it's not that Doug doesn't like the run. It says that this team does not believe, with this style of offense that you turn around and just hand the ball off if the numbers aren't there. So a lot of the passes that they use, you know, Brian, a lot of the passes they use, they don't believe that running into a stacked box is it.
Speaker 4: Is the way to win. So anyway I digress, I.
Speaker 5: Guess I'll go the other way and say I'd like to see a big game from the receivers because I feel like with this team, if you get some receivers going and feel like that's clicking. I think they feel like that's their identity and they feel better about themselves. So I'd love to see the run too, But I'll use that argument not thinking that there's a huge difference between which I like to see.
Speaker 3: Well, just one more benefit though to the run, and that is if this offensive line they haven't played well, they've heard that they haven't played well. I don't care whether you're a pass blocking line or run blocking line. There's gotta be a toughness and a nastiness to you. And I think they're on I think they're back on their heels a little bit, especially the interior three. I think by running the bowl, who's a Bear Bryant. It always talked about thevantages of run blocking in practice. I just I'd like to see them run the ball, just to get that offensive line in gear. But I do understand that the way that Doug and Press are going to build this offense, it's going to be based on the past. But this week, I think maybe the run and.
Speaker 1: I think we might see a little bit of both.
Speaker 2: To be fair with you, just enough run to get the wide receivers open and get them going and that high flying offense that we hope and expect them to be. Say with us coming up, we'll preview the rest of the week, and they have a sneak peek.
Speaker 1: It sounds of the game. Jags fans.
Speaker 2: If you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, check out zipchare dot com to browse all customizable options. Zipchair is furniture for fans. It might be a tough one to watch this week, but Doug Peterson.
Speaker 3: And wait to watch it.
Speaker 2: I know we know the outcome, but these are so well put together you got to check them out if you can.
Speaker 3: So sure, yeah, for sure, that's a great seas.
Speaker 2: What are you guys working on this week? Anything fun? Just trying to get back on track.
Speaker 5: I should have a foyer on the ozone podcast on Thursday to post on Friday, so look forward to that.
Speaker 3: I'm going to spend some time with you offensive a defensive lineman this week and Breston Buckner for a pregame radio interview and talk of by establishing the line of scrimmage, the defense has done a very good job. The offensive line obviously has some ground to make up, but I think That's a big story for this team going forward, not just this week. Next week you see b Jon Robinson in Atlanta, in London, and I mean, you've got to be the lines are where it is all built and just kind of get caught up a couple of weeks into the season.
Speaker 1: I love coach Buckner.
Speaker 2: If you can't get you hyped up for a game, then you're just never going to be able to get hyped up.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: That game this weekend against the Texans is brought to you by renewal by Anderson A better way to a better window. Visit rba fla dot com to gets still available for that one if you want to come and check things out as the Jags look to get back on track. Will be back with you tomorrow on Jags Am as we preview that matchup against the Texans.
Speaker 1: We'll see you then,