Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home.
Speaker 3: You guys.
Speaker 1: This is episode fifty three of Native Land Pod. The last time you saw us it was election night. So this is our first show after the election. And in the spirit of everything that you guys are feeling and that we're feeling, we're going to jump right into the show today. It's been quite quite a few days, guys, so curious what we're going to talk about today, Angela, I will kick it off with you.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about the stage of grief that we might all be at. I'm sure they're different. And I also want to talk about the incoming appointments from the Trump administration.
Speaker 1: I'm eager to talk about that, Andrew, because I know you have a lot of insight on Miss Susie Wild's the incoming chief of staff.
Speaker 3: So but what else did you want to talk about us?
Speaker 5: To be said, So first off, welcome home everybody, and we appreciate y'all joining us again. And speaking of stages of grief, I got my all black and Tiffany just for you button directly to the top.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to talk about, which I think is in line with everything you guys are saying.
Speaker 3: What do we do now? What is the path forward? Essentially? So with that, let's get into the show.
Speaker 4: Hi native Lampod family.
Speaker 6: So I am from the state of Illinois and we went blue. So I felt like we understood the assignment as far as elections go. My question is, how do we grapple with the reality of what just happened? I mean, America chose someone who is racist, a bigot, a felon, and willingly voted to put him back into the highest office of the land. I, for the life of me, cannot understand how that happened. And I can't understand people, even some in my own family, justifying that decision. It makes no sense to me. The Republicans could have put anyone up to be elected, anybody, but they chose him.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: How do we grapple with what just happened? And I think that's what we spent the last week trying to do. So Andrew, how do we grapple?
Speaker 5: Well, one, it's individual. Each of us have our own ways of getting through this. I got to tell you it was I'll confess my coping was bad. I spent more days in it than I would like to admit, mostly because I didn't want to watch anything serious. I didn't want to read anything serious. I didn't want to believe what the country again had done. And then the last few days I kind of dived directly in trying to understand it and to be curious. I saw aoc post on that Congresswoman Ocasio Cortez out of New York who basically went to Instagram and said, Hey, can y'all help me understand? And she did, And I thought, in a very sincere and genuine way, how is it that you could vote for me or other and other Democrats down ballot, but then select Donald Trump at the top of the ballot. What are the things that you find that we share in common. I bring this up, Tiff and Angela because while this is completely non scientific, and by the way, the graphic that we are showing, for those of you who are watching and for those of you listening, I'll just describe it MSNBC Michel Norris, a new contributor there, sort of abbreviate it. Some of the statements that people were posting back to her Instagram around what do democrats that you voted for, like me and Trump have in common that will cause you to split the ballot. Some of the responses were, it's real, simple Trump, and you care about the working class. Someone else said, but wanted to change, so I went with Trump and blew for the rest of the ballot to put some breaks on them. Voted Trump, but I like you and Bernie. I don't trust either party establishment politicians. And it said also, I feel like Trump and you are both real and I think you know all of it. It strikes us all differently. The way in which Sean Trump shows up great alarm. Some people may not remember what his first term was, like the million people who died in the wake of his mishandling of COVID, his erraticism, his assault on protesters, and turning the military on them so that he can hold the Bible upside down. Maybe some people just didn't dive in because they got a check that had his name on it, even though it came from the US government made available to them by the Democrats and control of the Congress. Whatever it is that allows you to missed over the overwhelming reg you know, sort of disqualifiers for the Office of the Presidency. People were able to miss over it and find their own reasons for why they could stick with him. And I know we'll get into all of that, but I would just say to the viewer, the listener who posed the question, I think this is going to be a much more complicated answer, and we won't be able to answer it today and maybe in the next few weeks or in the coming years, but I don't think we're going to be able to resolve this thing simply on the question of race and gender alone. And if we want to understand it better, we're gonna have to be willing to dig in, ask some tough questions, find ourselves in some uncomfortable places. And I don't mean for the unreachable folks. I'm talking about for the people who are similar to us, grew up similar to us, have the likeness in so many ways, but somehow reasoned themselves into a different choice this time. I'm curious at this stage, still a little bit angry, but my advice would be feel what you need to feel. And I can't even imagine for black women who poured out so much of themselves just how badly this cuts. But I just want you to know that it cuts pretty badly for a lot of men, myself included as well.
Speaker 2: Andrew.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I agree with your point about going beyond race and gender, but we'll get into that later. Because Angel I feel like you and I talked the most, probably since election, and the grief is so heavy.
Speaker 3: How's your heart? But what are your thoughts?
Speaker 5: Also?
Speaker 4: So a few things. One is I was hoping that we could kind of succinctly go through like the stages of grief because they have been so extreme, and I think that there's so many people at home, including just based on that question, who can relate to that. But I have vacillated. I haven't had it clean cut to each stage. I've gone from deep sadness and depression. Like Andrew mentioned, I was waking up in the middle of the night going pop, like is this real? Like thinking it was like a Groundhog's day moment. I thought this was going to play out differently because Joy and Brittany and I prayed the day before the election this time, instead of me calling Joy the day after the election like what happened, and I still ended up having to make the call like what happened? And then I went through Denio, which was like, Okay, clearly this thing was stolen. Who did he still votes from last time he was looking for votes, So clearly he must have found the votes. Elon could get on people's phones and text him about cotton they need to be picking. Surely he could figure out a way to be negotiating with these various precinct officials in states to figure this out. And then I talked to campaign staff who shall remain nameless, and the rage that I feel for these and the things that they've been through, the ways in which they were gas lit, the ways in which Andrew we saw this play out in your election. I'm angry now and I'm sad because I will be damned if they rest this at the feet of Kamala de Harris. The stuff that needs to be overturned and changed up and ended is astounding, Like my mind is frankly blown. Like the level of surprise that I keep dropping down into is just more than I can even bear and articulate. So in short, I am still vacillating between the various stages of grief. What I'm trying to lean into is not my outward expression of frustration and rage. I'm trying to deepen into listening. There are a lot of internal conversations to be had that I'm listening to, and there are a lot of extra jural conversations to be had that, frankly, I'm not even ready to have because of the deep betrayal I feel by this country and the deep, deep betrayal that I feel for a party that I think regularly takes us for granted as voters, takes us for granted as consultants, takes us for granted as media, takes us for granted as staffers. And that's absolutely candidates, absolutely, And that is the conversation that I want to have. It just ain't right.
Speaker 1: Just quickly, what are the stages of grief? You said, deep sadness, anger.
Speaker 4: I said deep sadness. I said denial. T well, I expressed denial, but I didn't name denial. And then I talked about rage. At some point, there's acceptance. I ain't accepted nothing yet, you know.
Speaker 1: I will tell you, guys, I did not after the election. I did not watch the news. I couldn't. So to this day, I have not seen Donald Trump's speech from election night. Probably in the past two days. Like you, Andrew, I just re emerged. I didn't read a paper. I just didn't consume a lot of information, and so the past few days it's really hit me. I'll say the first few days after election, I wept every day, every single day.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: We had a lot of conversations with people, and I think one of the most sad experiences of this is, of course talking to other black women and what we all feel after being betrayed by this country and having our hearts broken by this country. But it was also sad to your point, Andrew, talking to men. I talked to every black man I know also wept, and they wept because they said they talked about looking at their daughters and what their daughters had gone through, and how hopeful and excited they were. And that was one of the questions I asked, how do you look at young black children and say you can dream, you can do anything, you can be whatever you want to be, and know that there are caps to those dreams as of right now in this country, their caps to those dreams. So I think I've just been deeply sad. I've not wanted to engage in the you know, the post election analysis that so many people jumped out there to do. I tried to watch cable news a few times, and I just to be honest with you, this is hard because we all know some of these people. But I just thought, y'all are on these airways bullshitting these people because you know good and damn will. The conversations we were having amongst ourselves was way different than what they were saying on air, And I got increasingly frustrated watching people dance and tap dance and bend themselves and not for the comfort of white folks because they were so anxious, probably about their own contracts and not wanting to say the wrong thing, and talking about this bullshit like it's normal and normalizing all the plans that he had, or normalizing his cabinet picks, all those things. It just it just made me feel so incredibly frustrated, and it just begged the question of if you are someone who wants to make change to your point, Angela about talking to the staff, and I hope you share some of the specific things, because I have talked to a few folks too, and I doubt that there's gonna be a lot of daylight and what people said about their experience, but it just made me think, if you are a person, particularly a black person, who wants to institute change, you don't join things to become a yes man or a yes woman. You join to disrupt, and then when you're met with so much resistance, it can beat some people down and sometimes they gonna slice the head off one of them and hold them up and say, this is what happens to you when you try to buck this system. And I feel like that has happened in cable news. I certainly have a testimony. I feel like that's happened in campaigns, and I feel like that's happened and politically in the country. Well, I don't know where y'all want to go from here, but that's that's how I've felt. And I know we have a lot to get to. So I do want to talk about the cabinet. I do want to talk about black and Latino men, but I just wanted to take that moment to reflect back to folks that all three of us have felt what you are have felt the past few days.
Speaker 5: And I just want to give voice to the children because you raised that. My wife was with the kids on election night, so they woke up the next morning and Jackson happened to overhear the news and ran up to Jay, you know, to our bedroom, and he's in tears, saying, Mommy, Donald Trump beat Kamala Harris and then the other two run up and now they're sad. And that evening, when I got back to the house, the first thing out of Jackson's mouth was, Daddy, Kamala didn't win. Are we gonna be okay? And I said, you know, we had a conversation, but we tried to keep them separated from this, right, And I imagine a lot of parents tried to keep them separated from the news so they wouldn't hear all of the stuff and be worried. And so just I just said that to say to the parents who are raising little people who don't all the way get and grasp all of this, but are feeling the emotions of us, the adults, the parents, they know the difference between good and bad, right and wrong, and they're watching wrong went out and they're trying to make sense of it. And I just want to encourage us to be in in transparent conversation with our kids. Not you don't got to go all rate it, but you got to talk to them about what this process is about and why we show up in it to hopefully make, you know, the road a little smoother for them in the future.
Speaker 3: Well, I was thinking, go go ahead, Angela.
Speaker 4: Well before I was thinking, it looks like we're just about upon a break. So maybe I'll think on the other side of the break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's literally what I was about to say. I don't know where y'all want to go, but Trump has already named thirteen or stayed his intention with the thirteen members of his cabinet, and I know Andrew, you want to get into the mail of voting blocks. So on the other side of this break, we'll dive into both of those topics. We'll see you on the other guy.
Speaker 7: What's up, Native Lampid. My name is Dereck Monroe. I'm from Harlem, New York, and my question is what does this fight look like for us? I feel like I get it, we're all overwhelmed at this point, but I think it's time that we need to get together and strategize. And I'm just wondering who, especially when it comes to the black community, are our leaders that would bring us together so that we can strategize effectively so that we are not just taking advantage of I feel like we are too busy being reactive and not proactive. I understand when I see on social media everbody it's like, oh, well, we're just gonna see how this play out, in fear that the playout will be worse than what anybody anticipated. So I'm just wondering, who is our leadership, how will we come together, and what is the plan, and why aren't we being effective right now? We only have so many days before the inauguration, so if there's anything that's going to be done, it needs to be done. Time is of the essence, So tell me, guys what you think.
Speaker 4: Thanks to Derek Vinroe, a brilliant hairstyleist, somebody I've loved over the years, having conversations with while also getting my we done, I just I want to say, there's so much about this tip. You brought this up before the break that's not normal. And one of the frustrations that I'm hearing percolate quite a bit is if the Democratic candidate and the campaign hedged its bets on Donald Trump being a fascist, why is it that after he's won the election, he's no longer being treated as a fascist. Case in point was Joe Biden meeting with him in the Oval Office for a peaceful transition of power. Kamala Harrison her concession speech talked about a peaceful transition of power. But how do you have a peaceful transition with someone who actually isn't so peaceful in his remarks in some of the things that he's done in the past as president? What is this all about? So I wanted to make sure that I was actually accurate. There is some law for this. The Presidential Transition Act of nineteen sixty three ensures that there is some transitional things that happen. Most of it come from an entity called the GSA, the General Services Agency in the federal government, and actually don't have much to do with the pageantry that happens in the Oval Office. Now, they say that an incumbent president has three responsibilities. One is the law, two is president, and three is goodwill. But I want to know how far good will should go? Should he be meeting with Donald Trump in the Oval Office for a peaceful transition of power? Is that a way to neutralize some of what is to come? I actually don't like it. Y'all. Maybe I'm just out here, maybe I'm Andrew. I know you're the resident diplomat among us, and you may see it differently, but it actually really grinds my gears that this is something that we double tripled, quadrupled down on. I really believe this man is a fascist and a racist and a bigot, and he's a xenophobic person and he you know, all of those things, and not to just label him, but these are the things that we say based on the words that have come out of his mouth. So why is there the pageantry in the oval? Right? You know?
Speaker 5: Well? I two quick things. One, I think Joe Biden having rested so much of his rebirth in his run for presidency, and even Kamala through the prosecuting of the case around why Donald Trump is unfit to serve in the office again, they were they they were rightly trying to wring the alarm, sound the alarm, treat him as not normal, as a pariah in many ways. But once the people have spoken, once voters have decided, and in this way, you know, in a in a in a in a relatively convincing this way in modern politics, given the spread it is incumbent upon the existing leadership too, in my opinion, hold with its traditions and its norms, and quite frankly, it's been done. Hillary Clinton sat there as the opponent of Donald Trump, but as a former First Lady and wife to President Bill Clinton, you know, you know, and and hair distance to Donald Trump as he took the oath of office. I can't imagine what this woman wanted to do, snatch his hair, hers and everybody else's. But that's not what we do in democratic societies. And as frustrating as it is, it will frustrate me to have to see Michelle and Barack Obama and Bill and Hillary Clinton and even the Bushes, even though George Bush stayed silent in the cycle. But they will sit on that platform, in that podium, and they will demonstrate not only to Americans, but to the rest of the world that what what what mature, sophisticated democratic societies do is they have peaceful transfers of power, the passing of leadership from one party to the other. And I know I'm a traditional list in this way, but I do believe the optics are important to communicate it's it's it was fine to treat him as a Parian, call him every name under the child of God up until the point that voters decided that they wanted him to be their president again. And at that point he is entitled to the rights, privileges, customs, and obviously the the the legal UH justifications for his access president. Now, by the way, that doesn't stop us from protesting. That doesn't stop us from UH disagreeing vehemently with those things that he does that we disagree with. But as it relates to I think the traditions of the office and the passing of of of of leadership from one administration one party to another, it is important to keep those those traditions, if not just for ourselves, certainly as an example to the rest of the world that this is what democracies do. You don't hold power just because you want to keep it. You don't get to stay in office after voters have said you got to go. You don't do what Trump did and act like a tangent, you know, a kid on it.
Speaker 4: How he's going to share up? So why are we trying to be normal? I guess that's my question.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I came after George Bush and he was against everything this man. No no, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: No no. This man is an actual fashion is who said that once he's elected, there will not be another election. So why are they sitting down with him in the Oval office for a peaceful transition of power to not democracy? Why are we sitting down to have a peaceful transition of power to fascism?
Speaker 5: Why are we sitting down?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, Andrew, I gotta tell you I completely disagree. Yes, yes, well let me. This kind of shifts us to what Angela wanted to talk about. But I'm going to tell you why. You know, we have brunch after the election, and one of our friends said we that Democrats keep running change candidates and Republicans keep running change the rural candidates. And I think that's what we have here, and I want to talk about why I don't accept that. Well, that's the way it's done. And now it's time to you know, hold hands in Saint Kumbaya. Not that you're saying that, but even the whole like imagery to the globe of yes, we've accepted this.
Speaker 3: And we're turning the keys over to this man.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk is one of the wealthiest men in the globe. He obviously had a huge hand in Trump's election. The thing that we haven't discussed in detail on this podcast is that his companies were promised over three billion dollars in contracts across seventeen government agencies. This man was running essentially a puppet regime for voters, media, and the candidate himself. He will essentially be tapped to oversee people who would be regulating him. I don't think the country, and perhaps not everybody even on this podcast, has wrapped our arms around what it means to completely undo democratic norms and principles in this country. I don't think that we have considered the domestic policy that will completely upend what we what are our social norms and moras are political norms and moras. I don't think that we've comprehended what this means on a global scale to accept that, well, this is what it is, and he has to welcome him into the White House. This is a man. The media has normalized it. But I think as people who look like us in our community, I think they depend on us to be.
Speaker 3: Able to see through the bullshit.
Speaker 1: And despite the media treating this man like oh well, he says he's going to point, somebody who wants to kill the Department of Education, What do you think about that? Instead of oh my god, what, I don't really care what pundits think about killing the Department of Education. You as a reporter, you as a journalist hosting a show, I'd rather you talk to us about the real, live ass consequences that will have on the American people.
Speaker 5: We agree, But those are two separate things.
Speaker 3: But you're saying. But part of what you're saying suggest that this is all normal.
Speaker 5: Well, don't let me. Don't let me because I can say, I can say things.
Speaker 4: Well say it more clearly, because that's what it sounded like to me.
Speaker 5: No. No, So ceremony is one thing. These are ceremonies that have been cultivated over a period of time that don't inure any approval to this man's agenda. It doesn't, It doesn't, It doesn't rubber stamp, sign off on or agree with Elon Musk being not just a gatekeeper, watchkeeper, but nowhere near the government of the United States.
Speaker 4: Bin Laden sitting down in the old Office with the President, what they have had were letting down with the president. Can this man is a terrorist?
Speaker 5: This isn't that that's not the point. All I'm saying is we can go off the is.
Speaker 4: The point we can.
Speaker 3: Let me hear what you have to say.
Speaker 5: You can go off the cliff and never ever ever get power again. You can, you can, We can know that isn't where we are because we haven't begun, he said, Angela, Angela, you are smart. However, your wisdom does not supplant that of all of the American people who went out and voted. And unfortunately, I've had to subject myself to the same damn thing. You don't think I'm hurt. I felt awful, I felt humiliating, I'm gonna finish my point, and ashamed that I had to call a guy and who I don't respect, who I don't like in anything else, and concede a race for governor. No, it didn't feel good. It didn't feel good to Kamala either. She had she had warned the country of what a fascist looked like, and it was him in standing for him. Yet she picked up the phone. She made the call because that's what mature democracies do. Now, two things, we don't want to conflate two different things. Do you think Kamala Harris is rubber Stampton signed off on his policies.
Speaker 4: I didn't check her, but it is no. I didn't even bring this is why.
Speaker 5: But you didn't. But I did not. I'm saying I asked ques Angela, but I.
Speaker 4: Did presidential nineteen sixty three and the whole office meeting not being statutorily required. Again, that finish your finish her point, because I don't want to be I don't want to be labeled as saying something else. I didn't say anything about yours. I say anything about it.
Speaker 3: Think Andrew's making a different point.
Speaker 4: So Andrew, it's not okay to say that I essentially, but you can suggest, you can assign, you want.
Speaker 5: To, can assign, you can assign. You can assign me saying that the president should attend inauguration and host the incoming president at the White House as being a rubber stamp of Elon.
Speaker 4: Musk said that I did not say anything about.
Speaker 5: Me that point though. Let me give back to the point if I could. The point is we can still disagree with this man vehemently, and the fight still remains. Him sitting down for an hour long coffee is not what we are really taking issue with. What we are really gonna be taking issue with is when he starts lying people up in marth m out of this country, when he comes in my neighborhood, for my children, from my family, for my way of life. Those are the fights and we have to give up. And to bring us back to what the question was, it was how we are going to strategize around our fight back against this man. And I appreciated the brother mentioning the fact that we can't just say we're gonna wait and see what happens. Why because other people and other communities have the privilege of wait and see. But for us, wait and see what happens means immunity, for law enforcement officers who then go out and slaughter our children. It means food and food support programs not getting to the people who need it most, and so on and so on and so on. Those battles, I have no resignation on any of them. We will fight those as they come and before they get here. But we litigated the fact that this man is a fascist. In the election, the voters had the opportunity to consume that and make a decision as to whether or not they cared. And we don't get to supplant our knowledge, our will, our want over a democratic practice like an election. That was my point, and so certain.
Speaker 4: Norms must have been an issue that wasn't an issue. Certain norms some things when they're when things are not normal, norms go out the window. And I appreciate your perspective. I am not saying, nor have I ever said, that my wisdom, my knowledge, my limited experience takes every single voter, the millions, the millions of people that voted for Donald Trump, or the millions of people that voted for Kamala Harris. I'm not trying to supplant any of that. What I'm saying is there comes a time where we have to question the pageantry and determine if the pageantry is worth our credibility. That is what I'm asking. If we have said this man is a fascist, if we have said democracy is on the line, if we have said the things that we know and have relied upon for government support and programming will be no more, and we throw all of that out the window so that Joe Biden can skin and grin in a meeting with this man who was mugging the camera. He's stilling character.
Speaker 5: But do you think Joe Biden. Do you think Joe Biden not.
Speaker 4: Talking about what he wanted to do. I'm talking about what he did. But what he did about what he wanted to do.
Speaker 5: About what he did was demonstrate not Joe Biden's personal will toward Donald Trump, but the will and the graciousness and the magnanimity of the office of president. And just because one derelict, Donald Trump has no respect for democracies in our norms, doesn't mean that we are then equal by abandoning them right along with them.
Speaker 4: I think that if he took an old I would like for us to pull up the presidential oath well, because I think that it's actually a violation of the presidential to sit down and meet with this man.
Speaker 3: I will, That's what I think. That that's an opinion, but I think.
Speaker 4: It is my opinion that said I think, Angela, I hear you, Number one, cool, no need to shout.
Speaker 3: I hear you, and.
Speaker 4: I understand. I'm not I don't feel attacked, and I'm not attacking any of my passion, Okay, I just want to exchange everything, and I am also passionate.
Speaker 5: Why I have siphoned off on occasion, Angela, you siphoned off on occasion, Tiffany, you will siphon off on an occasion. Because this is a highly charged moment. And I understand that all of us are as have strong opinions about how we feel.
Speaker 1: I just want us to be respectful to each other's well, Andrew. I hear your point, Angela, I hear your point. I have something I have something to say about both, Andrew, when you're talking about the agentry of it, I do appreciate your perspective in maturity, because that is not something that we saw in Donald Trump, you know, I mean, it was giving very much Megan McCain on the View all the time, where he would throw a temper tantrum in front of a microphone, even folk post the election.
Speaker 3: That is a challenge.
Speaker 1: Angela asked a question that I think this deserves a deeper answer to, and she was saying, would we invite the Taliban in the Oval office? Well, this just shows how the media and other people normalize what this man did, because he did, in fact invite the Taliban to Camp David. And So I think the concern in the anger and worry and pain, all of those things is rooted in what we experience, what we can easily recall and what we know to be true that is coming, that is awaiting us. Andrew, I hear your point. You're an institutionalist and you have always champion in that on this show. I think what Angela and I are saying is perhaps it is time to disrupt those institutions, Like should we be even the image of him being on that dais on inauguration Day? What might that say to the world? How might that normalize the fascism we're about to be confronted with? So I I gotta say.
Speaker 4: I agree with Angela that we should at least pose this question. Just because it's been done all this time, why does that mean it should continue to be done.
Speaker 3: I don't know that it should be at this point.
Speaker 4: I think this is beyond that there should be a peaceful transition of power. But I think this is going beyond a peaceful transition of power in terms of imagery.
Speaker 5: But wed but just to statement, it has been done every time except for Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, but I think that is Angela's point that he is the fascist, Like should we do it? Okay, well, let's let's go would break and we'll pick that up on the other side, we'll go to a break.
Speaker 5: So and the I agree with you. I think we have to. I don't believe in doing things for doing things sake. I don't want to be I don't want to make that argument. I think it is symbolically important for the knowledge. Let's just start with the fact that the campaign that decided we were going to run on democracy can't then abandon the traditions, customs, rights, responsibilities, all to appertaining to their offices even when they're on their way out. And we have seen difficult transitions in the history of this country before. I guess what those gentlemen and well at for its day. I thought that I thought that George Bush when he stole Florida, I thought it was completely unconstitutional that this man should be taking office. How do you get to take office as president and a five for decision that then says at the end of that decision, this is not for precedents, never to be repeated, never to be referred to as president's setting. Right. But it happened, and the sky did fall in some places that I cared about. All I'm simply saying is we do have to mount a fight. We do have to push back on Donald Trump, But be over a coffee. It's going to be over his It's gonna be over his policies.
Speaker 4: You guys, I don't know how to express this enough. This is not about him having a coffee with Joe Biden in the oval. This is about the image and the signal it sends.
Speaker 3: No, she's talking about what's going to happen inauguration.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not. I'm talking about even today because we recorded this on Wednesday, him saying to Donald Trump, welcome back?
Speaker 3: Is he welcome?
Speaker 4: Why is he welcome? Why is what he stands for welcome? Why does that have a place in the most sacred place other than the capital that this nation says it built? Like why is that the case?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 4: Why is it that when democracy is on the line, this is how we respond. It does not make sense to me. I'm someone that doesn't do well in hypocrisy. I can handle nuance. I don't do well in hypocrisy. Either he's a fascist or he's not. Either he's a terrorist or he's not. Either he's an insurrectionist or he's not. It doesn't matter that he's bamboo, bamboozled and pulled the wool over the eyes of many. We haven't even gotten to the appointments, none of the appointments he's made, or about the economy, which is why people said they voted for him. So either we normalize it or we decide this is the time not to normalize.
Speaker 5: Once he can be a fascist and a racist and a sexist and a misogynist and all those things, he can also be the incoming president of the United States who judgment.
Speaker 4: White House is mar Lago, Like, why, but Andrew, you're saying what I heard you say is Angela, it's a fight.
Speaker 3: It's not the fight we should be having.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I want to push back on that point because I have to say I did not.
Speaker 5: Now, by the way, I just don't think this particular thing.
Speaker 3: I hear you with the president.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying, and and I think the imagery though, Andrew, because when I did not hear Joe Biden say welcome back, welcome back, yeah, which I would have a challenge with that too. But Andrew, I have to push back on this because by Joe Biden saying that welcome back, what image does that? What message does that sin to President Zelensky. What message does that send to MODI of India? What messages does that send to Vladimir Putin and Dmitri Medvedev? What message does that send to Steimer? What messages does that send to Macron? It is saying we are.
Speaker 5: Legitimizing that democracy that unfortunately, that's not what Michelle Obama and Barack Obama wanted to stand on them goddamn steps after this is the man who made him, let me made him pull.
Speaker 4: Out something this is about.
Speaker 3: But but are you're talking.
Speaker 1: About something Andrewe let me just say this, you're talking about eight years ago we didn't know, Yes, but.
Speaker 4: He had record.
Speaker 1: He had not tried to overthrow the government at that point. He had not even come out and said he would try to overthrow the government.
Speaker 3: At that point, he had done.
Speaker 1: He had raised he said, he he said, that's not what. Let me just be factually for the listeners. What he said exactly is if he shot somebody on Fifth Avenue, people would still support him. And he was quoting somebody who had written that. Let me just say, Andrew, yes, So now we see that he's right. But what I'm saying is in twoenty sixteen. There he was a racist. He's not the first racist to occupy the White House. He's a enophobe. He's not the first NFL to occupy the exactly.
Speaker 4: But he does not have a record as as the lead and as the commander in chief, the executive orders and actions he passed, the bills he signed, none of that had happened yet. This was the first office he was ever elected to.
Speaker 5: Previously warned us in.
Speaker 4: Twenty sixteen, and Phil jere.
Speaker 5: Who he was, it still was all this stuff about. She handed her a Tiffany's box. She welcomed her to the White House. She decided record she was hard to put her hair together. She was on the record she was going to tighten her face, but she was going to sit there and endure it for the country.
Speaker 4: I don't I want to endure another It's not about inauguration.
Speaker 6: This is not.
Speaker 5: About this is why I'm saying. This isn't the fight I should I'm saying we should have. This is what people on the substance of what why.
Speaker 4: His ass should not be welcome into the Oval? That is the whole point made that decision. I don't care. I don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know what I write because I think, yes, and Andrew, what you're saying is, yes, he's going to be in the Oval.
Speaker 3: We get that.
Speaker 1: I think what Angela can correct me if I'm wrong. I think what Angela is saying is yes, if he's gonna be in the Oval, that doesn't mean that we have to roll out the red carpet for him. But but but let me let me just say, Andrew, I don't think we're gonna agree.
Speaker 3: I think we disagree.
Speaker 1: I think, out of respect for the viewers to tune into this podcast every week, I would rather offer them some information about why we all feel so passionate about this and why we are all so concerned, and that is his cabinet and what they intend to do. So if y'all are okay with it, I'd like to get into some of these appointees and why this creates such an angst in my spirit, and that I don't think with respect to the rest of the country. I don't think the rest of the country has taken seriously. But they they have fucked around and now we are on the precipice of finding out. So let's Angela. I know you pull some sound from the cabinet. Let's play that and then argue over these crazy people, because that's who were mad at. For the listeners, listening is an intense conversation. We're not mad at each other.
Speaker 4: We mad.
Speaker 3: I am mad, and I'm mad.
Speaker 4: I'm mad. I'm mad. I'm mad at more than just this incoming cabinet. I'm mad at Joe Biden today for sitting down with this man.
Speaker 3: We are all mad.
Speaker 1: I'm just letting the viewers know. We're not mad at each other. We are mad at some of the things y'all have said today.
Speaker 4: That is just it. Hey, I think it's going to do.
Speaker 1: But we're never It's not a personal argument with each other. We just have different perspectives on how how to do things. So, yeah, the cabinet, well, I know there is sound, but I Andrew, I know that you have a lot to say about Susie Wiles, who will be the first woman to serve as chief of staff. But we haven't heard from from the cabinet, and as I know, you pulled sound. So do you want to kick us off with some sound?
Speaker 4: I was getting ready to do that. Sure. So there are a number of appointments that he is going to make that he's planning to make Susie Wiles has already been mentioned by Tiffany step Stephen Miller, who was recently over America First Legal, is going to transition back into the White House. And for those of you who don't know about Stephen Miller, he will be Deputy White House Chief of Staff for policy. You should look at some of the things that he said and did in the last term. Tom Holman, who is going to be the borders are I think we should roll this clip. Is there a way to carry out mass deportation without separating families?
Speaker 9: Of course, families can be deported together.
Speaker 8: Why should a child who is an American citizen have to pack up and move to a country that they don't know?
Speaker 9: Could their parents absolutely enter the country illegally had a child knowing he was in the country illegally, so he created that crisis.
Speaker 4: Okay, can I.
Speaker 1: Say really quickly as I before you go on one. I definitely have more to say about Tom Holman. I watched sixty minutes as my Sunday tradition. I just want us to be factually accurate because this moves so quickly, we don't know for certain. It has just been reported that Trump could potentially intend to name Stephen Miller as the.
Speaker 3: Deputy chief of staff.
Speaker 1: What we know factually as of the time of this recording is he has publicly or his team has confirmed Susie Wilds's chief of staff and thirteen or twelve additional potential cabinet members. Then the rumors that you're hearing like they have not come out and said that they've come out and named me thirteen. I just want to make sure that we're factually at it's a test balloon.
Speaker 4: Next we expect Secretarious Day will be Senator Marco Rubio. Let's roll that sound sat.
Speaker 10: On the cot.
Speaker 4: I want you guys to get this.
Speaker 11: I want them to destroy every element of Hamas they can get their hands on. These people are viscious animals who did horrifying crimes, and I hope you guys post that.
Speaker 5: What about the civilians?
Speaker 4: Every day?
Speaker 11: HAMASA stopped hiding behind civilians, putting civilians in the way. Hamas knew that this was going to lead to this. HAMASA stopped building their military installations underneath hospital.
Speaker 5: So you don't care that fifteen thousand, You don't care about the babies that are every day.
Speaker 11: I think it's terrible, and I think Hamas is one hundred percent to blame.
Speaker 5: That's what I think.
Speaker 11: Make sure you post that please.
Speaker 1: Can I just say really quickly about Senator Marco Rubo, Republican from Florida. Again, this is somebody I know, you say he expects to name him. There's been significant pushback from Republicans. There are that, and they his campaign have come out and said they have not confirmed anything about Marcro Rubio being Secretary of State. I think is going to happen, but I just want to let folks know that there is internal pushback against this happening, which is why they haven't confirmed it.
Speaker 4: John Ratcliffe is expected to be named CIA director. Let's roll sound.
Speaker 8: Do you actually believe that the Justice Department, given that they were on the same team working together to get Hunter the sweetheart deal, or actually investigating him for that.
Speaker 10: I think we should all be skeptical of that. Katie. Look, this is probably the most politically corrupt case I've ever seen. I mean, what you're looking at here is where the Department of Justice and the FBI investigators involved in this matter. We're cutting off lines of inquiry into witnesses or access to witnesses tipping off witnesses and lawyers about subpoenas. This for Attorney General Merrick Garland, for Christopher Ray, for US Attorney Weiss, I mean they all ought to be absolutely ashamed. This is another huge black eye for the Department of Justice and the FBI, and everyone should be skeptical.
Speaker 5: When in fact, what no one had ever heard of was a person in the US being prosecuted on the crimes that they prosecuted, uh, mister Biden for never before.
Speaker 4: Mike Huckabee is expected to be named Ambassador to Israel.
Speaker 5: Let's roll that basically, I mean, there really is no such thing as I have to be careful to say this, because people.
Speaker 4: House no such thing as a Palestinians American persons.
Speaker 6: You don't.
Speaker 5: It's such a complex either than that, there's really no such thing. That's been a political tool to try to force Land away from instrument.
Speaker 4: Right Representative Right Representative Mike Waltz is supposed to be named National Security Advisor. Representative Lee Zelden Environmental Protective Agency Protection Agency Administrator A Least Tephonic is supposed to be named US Ambassador to the United Nations. Let's please roll that sound today.
Speaker 12: This means crushing anti Semitism at home and supplying the State of Israel with what it needs when it needs it, without conditions, to achieve total victory in the face of evil.
Speaker 4: Pete Hagsaith, who is a Fox News host an Army veteran, is supposed to be named the Defense Secretary. Let's please roll that sound.
Speaker 13: The military cannot be organized like a Harvard faculty lounge, catering to ever more obscure constituencies. Our key constituency is normal men and women looking to be heroes and not victims. We aren't a collection of a Greeb tribes. Meritocracy is our bedrock. Lethality is our trademark. There is no black, white, or brown in our ranks. We're all green, and we all bleed red. Our strength is not in our diversity, but in our unity and in our love for our nation, our families, and most of all each other.
Speaker 4: Christy Nauman is expected to be named the Department of Homeland Security Secretary. Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswami are supposed to be over a new entity called the Department of Government Efficiency. We just played some sound today. I encourage you all to Google and look up sound for the rest of these folks what they really think and whether or now this is what you intended when you voted for the economy. Every single one of these folks who he's naming, who he's saying he intends to appoint to these positions, have said very little about the economy so far, and so I'm eager to see how your economics shake out.
Speaker 1: Just want to add to that really quickly, Andrew, Steve Whitcoff is expected to be named or his campaign has confirmed they expect to name Steve Witcoff to be Special Envoy to the Middle East, Mike Walt's National Security advisor, and Bill McGinley to White House counsel And just echo on your points that none of these people I feel comfortable.
Speaker 3: With in having any kind of influence over the government.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 5: The I think the important piece, because obviously more and more of this is going to develop over the next coming days, is that these folks really do present a total ideological shift from certainly what I believe, but largely what we've experienced from most democratic leaders. I would just note this. Mike Hucklebee, Governor Nome, the last guy, Defense Guy sounds just like they're in the pack. Are described as these sort of Christian Zionists who believe their support for Israel is unmitigated because they believe it to be biblical that that the Jewish people must reinhabit this territory in order for the return of the Messiah. And so when they say give them anything, whatever they need to do, whatever they got to do to vanquish their foe, they mean exactly that. In fact, I think you've had some of these folks on record is basically not recognizing not Hamas, but not recognizing the people of Gaza as human. I mean, they treat them as subhuman. They don't think that these folks deserve to live, breathe walk on the land as we do. In the other correction, I would make a Huckabee talked about the fact that these Palestinians were there to take the land that rightly belonged before to the Jews, And I just want to correct historically that Palestinians existed on the land prior to the Jewish stay having been established. And obviously this part of the world has been inhabited by every major faith. In fact, I think every major faith that is practiced in the world, has roots and considers segments of the Western Wall, Western Wall and its surrounding areas as their highest holy sites, among their highest holy sites. So there is no one religion that claims ownership of a total ownership of those lands, which is why there's been complex negotiated agreements right to divide them between them.
Speaker 1: Want to get back into the cabinet for a second, because some of the people that we named. Again, it's hard when you're asking people to care about everything because it ends up having an opposite effect and people don't care about anything. But I don't think we can stress enough the danger of having John Ratcliffe run the CIA.
Speaker 3: Now this is you all.
Speaker 1: For those of you who paid attention to politics, you'll remember that he was Trump's DNI, the Director of National Intelligence, and he faced numerous accusations about weaponizing intelligence to boost Trump's political prospects. You may also remember that Trump had Kislyak, the equivalent of a sect deaf in Russia. He had him in the Oval Office. He uh gave away sensitive secrets in the Oval Office.
Speaker 3: So on the global.
Speaker 1: Scale, this, uh, it should give us all pause, like this is incredibly dangerous. Governor Mike Huckabee, the father of Trump's first Press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, current governor of Arkansas. We played his sound, but you could literally google anything this guy has said. He's made numerous distasteful remarks. I want to talk about the sect deaf pick for a minute, Mister heg says, who, as Angela said, is a Fox News host. He did serve in the Armed Forces. He served in the army. He has zero experience running any organizations. You are turning the one thing that gives us comfort in these United States, because we have attracted a lot of enemies, the one thing that gives us some level of comfort and safety outside of our morals, because there may be moral things that we take issue with, but our military budget swallows that of pretty much the rest of the globe. He is turning over the military to a Fox News host who has never run any type of organization. The same with Susan Wilds. She has worked in local Florida politics, which is how you know her, Andrew, but she has very little experience with the federal government. That chief of staff position, you have to maneuver Capitol Hill, the agencies. She's going to be learning on the job. The potential sect f heg Seth has said he doesn't believe women should serve in combat. He lacks any kind of high level strategic experience that most normal presidents would seek out of their cabinet appointees.
Speaker 5: Christie believe in the military. Yes, was harmful and has made us weaker. Yes, his statements.
Speaker 1: Christy Noam is batshit crazy and actually wrote in her book about shooting a puppy, her fourteen month old puppy. And I say that to say, obviously I love dogs, but I say that to say how hypocritical America is because Americans mostly love dogs, and they celebrated this woman who bragged about shooting her puppy. Instead, I've talked about how much pleasure it gave her, how much she hated the dog.
Speaker 3: So again I don't know. Yeah, so I don't know what.
Speaker 4: They did say that adversely impacted her ability to be chosen as his running mate. But I will say that this like this is what when you when they talk about DEI, this is a DEI cabinet based on Republican standards. Yeah, they didn't earn it. They don't have the capacity. Our friend Alicia Garz would say, they lack the range. They don't have the range, and they have no qualifications whatsoever to serve in any of these roles, none of them. And moreover, with whatever they're trying to do to get like to pull the wool over the American people's eyes. The folks that will now be granted access to sensitive compartment fitted information facilities, the skiff in the White House, they get their security clearances, they will be cleared by a private firm. They will no longer have to go through government clearance background checks to ensure that they should be handling classified documents. The documents won't just be in mar Lago, They'll be in backpacks, on planes and everywhere else. We need to be talking about, not these resumes, because there ain't no resumes here. We need to be talking about what this means for the American people. We have overwhelmingly heard an exit polls they y'all chose this candidate because of the economy. Tell me economy. Where out of all of these cabinet appointments, even the folks that are going into the White House, allegedly Stephen Miller, where has he ever talked about the economy? Where he cares about deportations. They want to send a signal. The first signal they want to send is mass deportations. What do y'all think that's going to do to your economy?
Speaker 1: Precisely, and I think we should dig into that. But what I'd like to talk about with you guys is, I guess my question is should we continue doing the show? So, you know, Nativeland Pod launched with you know, a certain intention, and now I wonder what that intention is. So we'll go to a quick break, and on the other side of this, I think we should have a heart to heart about should we continue doing the show and if so, what it looks like. So we'll get into that on the other side of the break.
Speaker 2: Well come, well, come, well, come, well, come, well come, welcome.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 5: Before you go into your finger question, I just wanted to mention as well that Elon Musk, aside from this government efficiency thing, and maybe they'll be maybe there'll be some slight benefit here in the fact that he now is going to expose himself to for you the ability to look more deeply into relationships, congressional oversights, so on and so forth. But I don't think it's a good thing to have made the government period. But I did want to mention another conflict, which I think is pretty significant, and that is right now, what you've already mentioned earlier, Tiffany, the number of contracts that he has with the federal government and those that he's in line to have. But he also, as part of the space program and his contracts with the Defense Department, privately owns these missile weapons defense systems. One of them is over Ukraine and it was previously operable, previously helped defend off missiles coming into Ukraine from Russia. And for the last year or so he is sold Russia and Vladimir I mean in a Zilinski that it is not working. He also owns a similar system over Taiwan, and we know that we've got conflict between Taiwan and mainland China. And what if Land Musk just decides, you know what, forget the Defense secretary. I can make US defense policy and global defense policy all on my own, because as a private citizen, I already owned the equipment turn off missile defense systems and turn them on. He was already reported to have kept up relationships with Vladimir Putin directly over these last several years and months, there ought to be alarm bells going off for Republicans, Democrats and everybody else who's in power and can hold this man accountable. And again, the voters have done what they've done, but there are still systems of accountability that have to that have to provide the proper checks and balances.
Speaker 1: Well, has company SpaceX, I mean, they pretty much dictate NASA's space line schedule. And you've already talked about the satellites that he controls in orbit. Just imagine what that could mean. But I think this is gets into the question though, because you know, I just want to hear what y'all think about the show and continuing the show and what.
Speaker 3: It looks like.
Speaker 1: I know, for me it's really really important to inform. I don't care as much about people's opinions, so I think if we continue to do this show, that's something that I would personally be committed to. I think, you know, sadly, what rises to the top a lot of times in the podcast space is mess and nonsense and you know, no dis to anybody but like club shayshe or like people who really don't know what they're talking about politically and so people gravitate to that. So I don't really care how many people listen to this podcast that podcast. I'd rather reach one hundred people who understand and get informed out of it than reach a million people in one viral moment, and people will still go back to the foolishness.
Speaker 3: So I don't know how to make noise in.
Speaker 1: A space where people don't really value intellect, And sometimes it feels like that's what I'm trying to do and it's it's frustrating. So for me, I'm having like a career existential crisis in this moment, and that's what I'm considering as we move forward with what the show.
Speaker 5: Looks like and tif it is it fair to say part of what profers this question is that the environment is going to change radically. Our ability to influence upon the people who are making decisions that impact our everyday lives not only will be diminished in the way by comparison to what it might look like where they're a friendly or administration, but on top of that, the amount of threat personal, bodily, economic, and otherwise that this incoming administration has loud and proud already announced against people who they consider to be enemy within is that who disagree, people who don't like And also, how do we, honestly, with real integrity, make sure that the value that's being added here allows people to then take from it move forward independently and coalition and groups with family and otherwise to make a bad situation better by our having been here. Well, and for me, I threw some of my own in there, and I attributed the change in administration to be maybe one part of the reason for the questioning.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, but I just want to point out is Cash Btel. Cash Btel, who is rumored to be, you know, hanging out at mar Lago. According to the reporting, he is being considered for a position in Trump's cabinet, and he has said that they will go after members of the media criminally and or civilly. I'm not scared of it, to be honest. I think my question is as a result of this man getting re elected and the reshaping of American government, because it's not just the federal government. It is the gubernatorials, it's the state houses, it's the mayors, it's all across.
Speaker 3: The Republicans took over.
Speaker 1: Will people tune in and have a little more intellectual curiosity than they do now, or will people tune out and just say this is all too much and I'd rather watch foolishness and nonsense and traffic and celebrity gossip and doom stroll and you know, take selfist on Instagram.
Speaker 3: I mean for.
Speaker 1: A few days, but after a while it's like I got to get back in the game. And I think a part of this election is because the dumbing down of the American electorate. So a part of me is like all I've ever known to do was was journalism. Anything I did outside of that was in a communication. A lot of people can make the transition from journalism to comms. But when I look at it now, I just I don't know where I fit in in this media landscape anymore, or I really don't. That's an honest question, but it's framed in a lot your conversation around the vision for this show and what it looks like going forward.
Speaker 5: Well, if I'll just offer that I believe that we don't speak to everybody, certainly don't speak to everybody who we would like to be speaking to. But I do believe we have built a home for people who are interested in government, interested in government's impact on their lives, may not be able to follow or are interested in even following all the nuance and the ins and outs and the days and weeks of what's happening, but when they know more, are exposed to more, or their positions get challenged by maybe something they've heard in this platform, either in the comments section of it, or by something that we've said or done or interacted with on the show. That they then leave whatever place that they are at and this conversation starts to build as they are in community with their friends, families, co workers, so on and so forth. So so, just like I think that there are platforms radio shows, I'll the name Shake the Breakfast Club as one, because you know, our Jay was reminding me. She was telling me people were like, why did y'all do a political show so political with you know, a platform that is not as political and maybe I'm not as interested in politics, And I said, I think that in some ways it's the exact merger that has to happen, where you get people who don't give a damn about this thing on a day in, day out, and frankly maybe you on a year in and year out. But part of not giving a damn might mean that nobody has helped you to see how the decisions that are being made right now, the people who are being put in place right now, will have inexplicable impact on your life, your life of your family, the life of their children. So I think we have to be clear that we aren't talking to everybody and to at some level make peace as we continue to grow and become hopefully a real service to people, that folks will plug in, and the ones who plug in then become the ambassadors for the messages that they then have either heard or matured on their own based off of the I think the safe space has been created, so honestly, I got to tell you, I think if there was ever a time to be loud, proud, rowdy, come check me boo. I heard that somewhere, it is now. Not when we have friends in the administration necessarily, although that's help. Well, I mean, I think let's let's strow it to the listeners and let them tell us some of their thoughts on what it looks like. I've never done that before like this, but I do know that there's a big ass void and we can no longer afford for that void to get any bigger, any wider, because back to the earlier question around what's the strategy going to be, this strategy has to now become an in the house conversation because we are losing quite a bit and the trajectory is moving in the wrong direction from within the house. So we got to secure this space, the space that allows us to win elections before I think we, you know, before we really find ourselves up at creek without a pedal, because folks will have completely abandoned the process and given up with no belief that any of this stuff works for them. I mean, Angela, what do you you're ore? You're the motherboard and the genius of the of the of the idea. I know that today looks different than it did the day we learned the nominee, But the day we learned the nominee also looked different than the first several weeks and months of this show, where you know, we were all having fun going in and out of politics, but also culture and also interpersonal and so on and so forth. Where do you see things?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 4: I think, first, I really disagree on the idea that we can't inform and have opinions I think that there are people that tune into this show every week to hear an educated opinion that is rooted in some type of experience, whether that be you know, working on the hill or as a candidate, or tif you in journalism. So I think that it would be unfortunate for us to simply become c SPAN, right. I think that we should have some color or some culture to continue and what we share with the audience should we continue. I think the idea of not talking to everyone is not a smart strategy. I think that we should be trying to figure out what basic arithmetic is by engaging in the politics of addition and hopefully in multiple multiplication at some point. And I think that we can do that in truth by questioning things that should be questioned, by asking and challenging things that normally folks are not rewarded for challenging. But we are in a unique time period in this country that is very, very dangerous. It's dangerous just to speak up, let alone take action. And so we got to decide if we have the wherewithal the bandwidth, the ability, and the desire to do that on this show or anywhere else. I'm going to engage in the fight. I'm not engage in the fight on multiple fronts. I'd be happy to do it with y'all, but I don't want to do it in a way where it's like, oh, we can't question what is the norm. I'm not interested in doing that. I'm not because I think that is a disservice to the American people and to ourselves. For too long, I think black folks in particular in this country have had to grin and bear it. And I think those times are over. I think those times are over within the Democratic Party itself. I think those times are over within the country itself. And what you're starting to see is the things that we're seeping out and there was a slow drip. Now there's a damn that burst. And so what is the opportunity within that process of the bursting of the dam and truth really filing finally spilling over in a way that you can't ignore anymore. So I'd love to continue the conversation and figure out if there is a path for native land that.
Speaker 1: I just can I just really quickly make a point of clarification, and that I always have opinions.
Speaker 3: I I if.
Speaker 1: Somebody and somebody if somebody heard me say that we should not have opinions.
Speaker 3: Let me correct the record. I'm not saying that at all.
Speaker 1: I'm saying I don't care about most people's opinions. I care about being informed, and that's what I try to do. I think you can inform something that is wrapped in an opinion. But I hear a lot of across a lot of podcasts and cable news outlets of people just saying, well, this is what I think about that, and I don't really care if I didn't. If I can't walk away and say, oh I learned something from this person or I didn't know that this person introduced me to something, then it does seem to be a waste of my time. But there are other people out there who just like the traffic and opinion. That's just not what I like to do. So I think, you know, since the show has started, I've tried to root my opinions and information, and I hope that when people listen to me and listen to this podcast, they've walked away and they've learned something from from each of us. My question, though, that I think is rhetorical, is will people tune in for that or are people going to be so exhausted with all of it, because Trump is a nightmare. Will people be so exhausted with all of this that they just say, you know what, I'm tuning out, like I don't. I don't want to hear. I don't want to get frustrated, you know. I just want to exist in my own little box of reality and I don't want to hear what craziness this man has done.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know what.
Speaker 5: I think the history of us as a people is that we've never had the comfort and convenience of checking in, because that is a comfort, that is a convenience, a privilege absolutely to say, oh, I ain't concerned about any that until your life, in your children's lives, and the people who you loves, lives quite literally are are at risk by the decisions that are being made on our you know, on quote unquote on our behalf. I should also just say, I know everybody thinks the sky has fallen, and in so many ways it is. But I also want to remind us that over the arc of history of us as a people, I'm so glad about the ancestors who didn't choose to give up I'm so glad that we can go back to the Transatlantic slave trade, we can go back to the Civil War, pre Civil War. We can talk about all the blows we were dealt and had to get right back up. We can talk about doctor King being shunned by his own people, told to get out and not be a troublemaker, and still persisted. And not everybody was a part of the movement right because it produced what it was intended to in some parts produced. So I don't think I think I know the answer to whether or not people are going to check in now. They can get there, they can get their information from any variety Their opinions are any variety of sources. That's all good with me. But what I absolutely know for sure is that we're not quitters. The times do get hard, but I know this for sure. Those tough times don't last, but tough people absolutely do. We had a schalacking in the election after Obama was elected and we didn't think we would reclaim power. The Republicans experienced the same to the whole goddamn autopsy. They thought our party was dead, had to be rebuilt. But in this case, our work is internal. I think we should use every platform stance that we have to inform that while we also fight like hell against this administration on all forms and on all fronts, to the extent that they are a threat to our existence, our lives, our livelihood, and that voters. I believe that voters can go in the voting booth and vote for a thing that they believe they are being sold and still have been bamboozled exactly.
Speaker 4: And that's where our obligation comes in to make sure they know how dangerous it is.
Speaker 1: And that's why I want to I think it's a good thing to posed to the viewers.
Speaker 3: What do you guy?
Speaker 4: I mean?
Speaker 1: Because we started, like we said, we started this show different, we achieved you know, I think a lot of success here. We grew an audience, but beyond an audience, I feel like we grew community. So I would like to hear from the community. What do you guys want to see from Native Land going forward? Will you you know where do y'all stand? Do y'all you know, want to tune in every week and hear us talk about these things and what specifically do.
Speaker 3: You want to like?
Speaker 1: What would you like our role to be in your diet of information and things that are of all the things that are peeding for your attention, what would you like our role to be?
Speaker 5: And Tiffany is never going to allow every episode to be about Donald Dan Trump. I can remember that back from the very beginning. You're like, I am not talking about this bad.
Speaker 1: Well I mean that, But that's also a consideration because trying to cover him is like trying to catch confetti, I always say. And so it's like when you talk about something on the day that you record, it is old by the next day. So how do we cover somebody who is an agent of chaos who does these like big, big, big news dumps overnight, typically on a Friday, so none of the networks can cover We saw this playbook already, So do we talk about more overarching themes. Do we, you know, talk about like we did its own fascism that I think was a mini pod If it is, check it out, I can't remember. Or are we going to be chasing every little story saying this is what happened on Tuesday and we're outraised about it and then it's old by Friday. I think these are all legitimate questions that we have to ask and ask for your grace as our viewers who tune in as we figure it out. Because I've seen y'all's comments before about the show and tape and it's like, down, we don't have, you know, studios in our house. What some of us do, one of us don't. But yeah, we are not a daily show, so we do the best we can with the schedule we have. But yeah, I'm curious to hear from that.
Speaker 5: I don't think we ought to do anything that doesn't create shift. And yeah, I think this road shift reason and we are shifting out. The show is complete by saying God put us each on this earth for a reason to do a work that is particular and specific to us, and that if we do not do it, then that work will not be done. That's not just for the three of us. I think that's for everybody who walks and breeze. All right, we got a work to do.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, before we end the show, I do want to just remind everybody to please leave us a review and subscribe to Native Land Pod. Yes, we're available on all platforms and YouTube, and as you all know, new episodes dropped every Thursday. We also have mini pods that drop every Monday, which we need to talk about what we're going to talk about on the mini pod. By the way, you can also follow us on social media. We are Tiffany Cross, Angelauri and Andrew Gillum. Welcome home, y'all. Uh there As of right now, there are seven hundred and twenty one days until mid term elections. That was a question that we posted to. I was like, do we really want to say how long til midterm elections?
Speaker 3: Angela?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think Andrew you said yes, mom in yes, Okay, So Angela, Andrew want to say. I was going to ask y'all what y'all think? But democracy rules where we are?
Speaker 3: So Angela apparently.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Bless all right, seven hundred and twenty one days until midterm elections.
Speaker 3: We will see you guys next time on Native land.
Speaker 5: Thanks for two welcome home.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives, attention to what the info and all of the latest Rock Gulm Cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the pass reason for your choice is cleared.
Speaker 5: So grateful it took the execute role.
Speaker 2: Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth, even if paste.
Speaker 5: We welcome home to all of.
Speaker 2: The natives wait, thank you, Welcome.
Speaker 5: Y'all welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.