Speaker 1: Mary Christmas, everybody. Welcome to Bill's by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at. We're presented by fand we'll make every moment more coming your way. The NFL MVP race is heating up in the wake of Josh Allen's recent second half play does he have a shot at repeating? And James Cook is breathing down Jonathan Taylor's neck for the rushing title. Is Offensive Player of the Year in the cards for him, and we'll have our one burning question. Time to hop on the one horse open sleigh. Welcome to this holiday edition of Bills by the Numbers.
Speaker 2: He is Bill's Hall of Famous.
Speaker 1: He'saster of Bill's played by playman Chris Brown, and he was once considered a non factor, but the unicorn of unicorns has entered the chats. Reigning MVP Josh Allen, with his back to back fourth quarter comeback performances in wins over Cincinnati and New England, has vaulted himself into the conversation of league MVP. It had largely been deemed a two horse race by most handicappers who had the Rams, Matthew Stafford and the Patriots Drake May as the favorites for the League's Most Valuable Player, and deservedly so. Those two quarterbacks have been remarkably efficient and productive, and their teams have been in contention for the one seed in the playoffs for their respective conferences. But in the last three games, Josh Allen has accounted for nine touchdowns and three straight victories, including a road win at New England to overcome a twenty one point deficit, matching the largest road comeback in Bill's team history. Prior to the Thursday night game between the Rams and Seahawks in Week sixteen, Allen had pulled even with Matthew Stafford for the most total touchdownsty seven. May is a distant seventh with twenty seven. Should scoring ability be the top factor? Steve in the equation of determining league MVP.
Speaker 2: I think it's just part of the equation. You'll get to it in a minute. I think you have to look across the spectrum of how quarterbacks are evaluated wins, losses, how high towards the top of the rankings are they in the positive rankings and how high are they in the negatives. I mean, two years ago, Josh Allen was disqualified from it, even though he had a monster season because he had more He had eighteen interceptions. Other guys have won the MVP with way more interceptions than that handful, more interceptions than that, most notably Kurt Warner in one of his MVP seasons, he had twenty three interceptions. They threw it a lot, So I think it's got to be Obviously, it's got to be in the equation. But I think when you look at it, I think you look at the broad spectrum of how we evaluate quarterbacks. Like I said, win losses, completion percentage, touchdown to interception ratio, rushing touchdowns, rushing yards, first downs, expected yards per complete, all those all this stuff, all the advanced analeagues. I think you got to look at the total package, and not only just the numbers, but you got to strip it away and just say, what do I see when I see him play?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was going to say, because yes, all those numbers count and should be factored in to the MVP equation. But I think also you have to look at whether the team that that person plays for is in contention for at least the playoffs. It's hard to hand an MVP to a guy on a seven and ten team, that's right. So I think that counts. And then I think making critical game changing plays in some of the biggest moments of games really separates what an MVP truly is the most valuable player at the most critical times. And the reason Josh Allen's back in this conversation is because he's done that the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: That's right, and that's get it last.
Speaker 1: Year in a lot of big games.
Speaker 2: And here's the problem. I think for most fans out here where we sit, it's hard to quantify that. Yes, and now analytics, advanced analytics people say, yeah, well we do that, you know, and Josh is always.
Speaker 1: At the tip expected point at it.
Speaker 2: He's the best of that. But it's hard for regular fans to say, yeah, well my guy came through in this area and you know, and I it's it's hard to quantify it, but your gut tells you which guys are good at it. Certainly Josh is always at the top of that. So yeah, that that is also in the equation crunch time and your quarterback has always got his hands on the ball in crunch time, and how good is he in those moments. Yeah, that's I think that's a large part of it as well.
Speaker 1: As we often do here on bills by the Numbers has provide the numbers for a more in depth analysis. So total yards this season, Allen ranks fourth with thirty eight hundred eleven ahead of him Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes, and third Drake May with thirty nine hundred twenty nine total yards, one hundred eighteen yards ahead of Allen. Heading into Week sixteen, Stafford is sixth with thirty seven hundred and fourteen. Completion percentage, Allen second in the league at seventy percent. First is May at seventy one percent, Stafford a distant fourteenth at sixty six point four percent. First downs, Allan is tied for first with Prescott two hundred and one on the season. May is fourth, Stafford fifth. Scramble yards Allan not surprisingly first four hundred twenty four. May is third with three hundred and fifty six. Stafford not part of that competition. Offensive total pass expected points at it May is first one hundred fifteen point two two, Allan third one hundred point four, Stafford fifth, eighty eight passing yards Stafford second, May fifth, Allen eighth passer rating Stafford first, May third, Allen fourth, third down passing leaders Allen sixth, May tenth, Stafford sixteenth. Fourth quarter passing leaders Stafford first, Allen fourth, May twenty second game winning drives Alan tied for fourth with four May and Stafford with just one each tied for twentieth. And that could be read into as those teams are usually ahead on the scoreboard, so fourth, you know, game winning drives not necessarily needed because their teams are winning games and ahead.
Speaker 2: That is true. But you look at the you look at the schedules and the outcomes for these for these teams, the Patriots, and that's kind of what you look at. They're eleven and three. Uh, they've got only a handful of games where they all their ways have been tight. They have been tight. It's not like they've been There have been some you know, the Giants game, of course, the Jets game. But when you get down to the Buccaneers, the Falcons, and then they they lumped up the Browns and the Titans.
Speaker 1: They most people do.
Speaker 2: The Saints game was a one possession game. The Bills game was a one possession game. They lumped up the Panthers Uh, they lost to the Steelers. The Miami Dolphins they beat that was a one score game. So they've been in some tight games. So I don't know if you can like la lump lump the main numbers into that where they've always been ahead.
Speaker 1: But no last stat here plays of twenty plus yards. Stafford first with fifty seven, Allen second with fifty six, May fourth with fifty two. We just ran through a boatload of statistics. Do any of them carry more weight for you than another?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Fourth quarter, fourth quarter stuff, I think for me is is important because that's you know, these games the NFL are always tight, and they're they're tough. You got to be good and like I said, like you said in crunch time, third down is an important one. You know. Obviously the scramble yards are an individual stat that's you got to take that.
Speaker 1: Stafford's not going to rank there, right, Stafford.
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: And and total offense e p A. I think that's important. May's first, Allen's third, Stafford's fifth. All these guys are right at the top, and that you know, and those kind of pass e pa those are like all encompassing so for the entire season. But that that also when you do this thing with the all the total season and it's e PA expected yards it all it has to do with play selection, personnel on the field, game situation, opponent. So yeah, and so that has that's more of a team stat, although the quarterback is a massive part of it. It's a team stat. Third downs a little bit of a team stat, fourth quarter passing leaders a little bit of a situational team stat. But you know, game winning drives should be important. So I'm yeah, it's it's hard to sift through this because all these guys are right in the top five of most maybe it's important category and maybe that's.
Speaker 1: What you pull from all these statistics because the three of these three players are are in the running or they're at least in the top ten in almost all of these, which I think only cements their candidacy for the MVP and consideration to win.
Speaker 2: They hard because you got to take the time and nobody does this. Bill's fans take take the time to go back and look at Josh's plays, and well New England fans look at May's and the LA fans look at Stafford's and you pluck out all those times during the season, and there's been a bunch for all of these guys of where that guy did it? And who knows? I mean unless you go back and look how many and how important were the plays that may made for the Patriots that won games the way Josh Allen won games for the Bills and Stafford won games for the Rams, and you go down the list of guys in this conversation, so all these I hate to say it like that because I'm a Bills guy, we're Bills guys. All these guys are worthy of the desert. They're all deserted.
Speaker 1: Knowing it is a tight race, what do you believe Josh Allen still has to do over the final three games to make a more convincing case for himself. Not that he's campaigning to do that, but no, what do you think would have to happen? Because he got himself on the radar and back into the conversation with two amazing second half performances these past two weeks, what does he still need to do? What do you think he still has to put on your resume this year?
Speaker 2: Here's what it takes. I mean, he has to keep on doing what he's doing. Obviously, I think it's more it's not so much and even say like this where he's played himself into the conversation, that kind of thing. I think what happens is invariably other guys play themselves out of it. Unfortunately, because it's hard, particularly with four games ago, to run off and leave Drake May, Matthew Stafford, name your guy, Boden, you know that, Name your guy. It's hard to run off and leave those guys because everybody's playing well at this time of year. I think it's about other guys playing themselves out of it. So I think that's what you're looking at. Either you don't get the opportunity, or your team wins a close win against an inferior points for instance, the Bills win this game this weekend ten to seven against the Browns. That kind of stuff. You play yourself out of it. These guys have played themselves into it. They're gonna stay in the conversation unless they trip up.
Speaker 1: I'll say, Marquee games in Marquee Windows helps, you know. Matthew Stafford, at the time of the taping of this podcast, had not yet played the Seahawks on Thursday Night foot ball. If he lights up the Seahawks, which are a top three defense. It's right he could cement himself as the league MVP. Josh Allen in Week seventeen, playing in a major window game against the Eagles, ye in a couple of weeks, the defending Super Bowl champs. He lights them up and runs for a thirty yard touchdown and you know, wins the football game. I mean, we remember what it took last year when he won the MVP. He's you know, making an unbelievable playoff a lateral to die for a pylon, against the San Francisco forty nine ers, Right, I mean, you make plays like that, it's going to be all over television for the next for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of the next week, and those are the things that get more recognition, it seems these that's right.
Speaker 2: And think about this. Josh makes a play like that San Francis Green in the snow, unbelievable Chris collins Worth, you know, standing up in the booth, jumping up and now there are Josh makes a play like that. Even La ram fans couldn't envision Matt Stafford doing that. I mean, that's a play that's not in his repertoire, you know. So there's that kind of thing that goes into it. Voters listen to that kind of thing. And I also think there's a little bit of this, and I think Lamar suffered from this last year. He already won it. Some of the voters like, hey, won it last year. If it's closed, let's give it to a new guy. That kind of thing goes on. There's no question they are human beings, fallible human beings. In some cases you'll say, you can you can argue about the qualifications of the voters, about what they put into it. Some of them sit in their armchair and with the remote and that's how they vote. That's about as much research as they do. That's the way it is. So yeah, play like the one you're describing. Yes, absolutely, even that until you get close to the end. I think other guy's got to play themselves out of it.
Speaker 1: Switching gears. Another dynamic player on buffer offense and near the top of the league in both rushing and total yards from scrimmage is James Cook. He leads the league with eight one hundred yard rushing games this season, three more than anyone else. Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry are tied for second with just five. He also has the most one hundred plus total scrimmage yard games than anyone in the league with eleven. He is currently just twenty eight rushing yards behind Jonathan Taylor for the league's rushing title, and his sixteen hundred and eighty six total scrimmage yards ranks fourth in the NFL behind bjon Robinson, Jonathan Taylor, and Christian McCaffrey. Robinson's team no longer in contention, which figures to hurt him a bit, but not terribly. What about the race with Taylor and McCaffrey For Cook.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's we're in the exact same conversation we were a moment ago. Certainly, the offensive player of the Year is the league's chance and the voters chance to give an award to somebody other than a quarterback. McCaffrey is a great example of that, a great a great candidate for that. James Cook, this could be his year. Certainly, Jonathan Taylor is in this conversation. Although now you know the Colts have fallen away because of the injury to Daniel Jones and Sauce Gardner and all of that. They just can't find the recipe to win the way they did early in the season. That hurts him. So San Francisco and McCaffrey. I don't know what their schedule is coming up, but I think those guys got to find you gotta finish strong, and certainly James Cook has been walking Jonathan Taylor down for about a month now. He's been He was like one hundred and eighteen yards behind him, and now he's closer and closer and closer. Double digits. He might take him if he gets the rushing title.
Speaker 1: That's it for me, and that would say a lot because you know, the Colts, with Philip River at quarterback for them right now, are leaning even more on Jonathan Taylor than they were when they had Daniel Jones in the lineup. So it's not like Taylor's going to be short on opportunity to run the ball over these last three games when the Colts are fighting and clawing to stay in the playoffs or to get back in the playoffs because they're outside on the outside looking in heading into Week sixteen here. And to your point about falling off could hurt Taylor, I think it's completely taken. Bjon Robinson off the radar, even though I would argue he's the most dynamic back in the entire league. He might be the most gifted athlete at the running back position that we have seen currently, and the guys got a ridiculous he might hit two thousand total yards from scrimmage. Now, if he hits that number, I think Robinson could be back in the conversation, even with a team that is going absolutely nowhere and is probably going to see their coach fired at the end of the season. As hard as it might be to hand an award to a team that's going to be on the wrong side of five hundred by a lot, it hurt two thousand yards.
Speaker 2: It hurts him.
Speaker 1: Two thousand yards says something. Though, like you, you reach mythical numbers, you could be back in the conversation. I think, don't you. Yeah, two thousand total yards does it do it for you? Uh? Maybe not? No, I mean two thousand rushing yards is something different.
Speaker 2: Total yards not so much. I'm yeah, because Uh, I would think in a guy, for a guy like Bjeon Robinson, there would have to be a bigger gap between him and James Cook they were He'd have to be out here and they're not. They're like four hundred yards exactly. I think the gap for him and the second place guy has to be bigger than what it will be between McCaffrey and Cook.
Speaker 1: The last few weeks could have a lot to say about who takes the Offensive Player of the Year award, but it's likely to be a running back again as it was last year with the Eagles Saquon Barkley, although Seattle's Jackson Smith and Jigba could be a dark horse candidate. He is racking up receiving yards like nobody's business. Time Now for the numbers game and will quiz Steve on MVP and Offensive Player of the Year history. Let's do it. Question number one, what player holds the record for the highest total yards from scrimmage in a single season.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, uh, Ladanian Tomlinson.
Speaker 1: It is not Ladonian Thomlins. That's a good guest though. I like that. Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't know what was running back with running back with its Indianapolis with is in the Hall of Fame now, Eric Dickers, no no, no, no, no no no, with Peyton Manny oh Edrin James, Edgrin James obviously noted James.
Speaker 1: It's in that era though. If that helps you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it is a running back.
Speaker 1: Yes, Priest Holmes is not Priest Holmes. It is Chris Johnson. Who oh Tennessee type.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, y K two yeah K two Yeah.
Speaker 1: Twenty five hundred and nine total yards. In two thousand and nine, he was the NFL Offensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: Talk about a comment he just here and gone.
Speaker 1: He was like a supernova. He was really a super like for three or four years he was top notch and then I don't know what happened. It just it wasn't the same disappeared.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question number two, how many NFL MVPs have won the award in back to back years, something that Josh Allen has an opportunity to do potentially this year.
Speaker 2: I will say it might be more than that.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say four, You're very close. It's five Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, and Jim Brown. Manning is the only one to do the back to back twice, right, So good for him?
Speaker 2: Holy cow? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question number three, who is the only league MVP to win the award three years straight?
Speaker 2: Rogers.
Speaker 1: It is not Rogers. He's won four, but only two. He only won back to back once. It is not Jim Brown either. That's a great guess.
Speaker 2: Is it from that era? Is it?
Speaker 1: It's no, it is not from the Jim Brown era. No is this century previous century?
Speaker 2: Montana?
Speaker 1: It is not Montana. It is Brett Farr won three in a row. Is hard believe? The years were ninety five, ninety six, and ninety seven. And question four, what two players share the record for the most Offensive Player of the Year awards?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what two players? Yep? What era? They're in two different eras.
Speaker 1: I will tell you they each won three and here's the kicker. They both won three in consecutive years.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, La Dainian Tomlinson.
Speaker 1: Again, it is not legions. They are both Hall of famers.
Speaker 2: Earl Campbell.
Speaker 1: Earl Campbell as was very good, Steve that was a shot nineteen seventy eight to nineteen eighty three consecutive Offensive Player of the Year awards. I will say the other one is more recent.
Speaker 2: Like in this century? Just shy or just shy? I will say, Uh, Megatron is not Megatron? Is it a running back? Yes?
Speaker 1: And I know you can get this very Hall of Famer, not Barry Sanders, the Thurman. Mhmm. You'll you'll say, of course after I give you the name.
Speaker 2: If you don't get it, okay, thanks, thanks, running back from just a minute, n FC, don't tell me, don't tell me.
Speaker 1: You want to get it now. Running Back in three consecutive years won the Offensive Player of the Year award. M h.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, I'm going I'm going through my.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, NFC, I gotta I gotta look at the NFC teams. Let's see no cheating now, I'm not cheating. Uh oh, Walter Payton.
Speaker 1: Not Walter Wait, don't tell me you want one more?
Speaker 2: Get I want another? Guess let's just getting good.
Speaker 1: The competitive nature of Steve Tasker is bubbling to the surface. Eric Dickerson, He's not Eric Dickerson.
Speaker 2: I have no idea who he is.
Speaker 1: It is Marshall falk Oh yeah, nineteen.
Speaker 2: I couldn't you know what because they're so close. I I ball ups fulk in the same makes sense.
Speaker 1: That's that's why I tried to give you NFC, to try to help you, because I could tell Tomlinson was on the Marshall fulk wherever you.
Speaker 2: Are at there, I apologize you should have I should have believe it was amazing for he was the dude. He was an absolute dude.
Speaker 1: That guy with Kurt Warner. Holy kh all right, So that's uh the numbers game. Bill's fans get in on the action with FanDuel, America's number one sportsbook. Just download the app today to play anyway you want. Plus, with live betting, you'll get updated odds on games that have already started. Best of all, you get page your winnings fast now, every moment more with FanDuel Official Sportsbook, partner of the Buffalo Bills. Time now for our one Benning question. Do you think James Cook's candidacy for Offensive Player of the Year could actually be hurt by the fact that his quarterback is Josh Allen.
Speaker 2: Uh? I don't think so. Not in not in this, not in the shape we're seeing it with the Bills. Because of the run game. Because everybody already knows Josh is this, you know, unicorn kind of guy. To have a run game that has complimented him in so much, it might Ah, it could hurt him because they might think, well, they got Josh, nobody's really packing it in to stop the run anyway. I don't think so. Though. I don't think so. I think the fact that the Bills are still scoring at a high rate with a run first offense says something at least if the voters go that deep and think about it. No, I don't think so. I think he can.
Speaker 1: The only reason I worry that some might be biased with that is because Jonathan Taylor was playing with a resurgeon Daniel Jones, and is now finishing with a forty four year old Philip Rivers and Christian McCaffrey largely played the season with Mac Jones and Brock Purty, who I don't think are None of those quarterbacks are viewed in the same stratosphere as Josh Allen. I do think James is helped by the fact that they are the number one team in rushing and pretty much have been wired to wire this season, and he has the numbers to back up the production not only over the stretch of the entire season, but game by game. There's like, there aren't too many dud games for James Cook this season. I think there's only one game he was held under fifty yards that was the Week five game against New England. Other than that, he's been flirting with one hundred. Yeah, almost every single week. And that's just rushing yards I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: But we've been talking, we've been talking about, you know, like McCaffrey's to McCaffrey's.
Speaker 1: His receiving is off the charts right.
Speaker 2: His rushing is way down, but.
Speaker 1: His receiving yards are insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he ranks number three in rushing attempts, but he's thirteenth in yards. I mean, he's not even in the top half of the leagu he's barely in the top half of the league. So I'm no, I think he've got to be better than that.
Speaker 1: I might be down to Cook and Taylor at this point.
Speaker 2: I think, so anything can happen and Jackson, Smith and Jig, but I think it could pivot on how their team finishes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think he's a dark horse candidate Smith, Jig. He's been unbelievable.
Speaker 2: He's been an amazing player this year. So we'll see. But I think the consistency of Cook may help him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Our closing figure deals with Josh Allen's exploits as a scoring machine. Alan currently sits just one offensive touchdown away from three hundred in his career. If he gets just one touchdown in Cleveland Sunday in Week sixteen, he will become not only the fastest player to three hundred career touchdowns, doing so in just one hundred twenty six games, but also the youngest at twenty nine years and two hundred and fourteen days old. Aaron Rodgers was previously the fastest to three hundred touchdowns, doing so in one hundred thirty four games. No other NFL player in the history of the game has hit three hundred offensive touchdowns before age thirty one. Hall of Famer Peyton Manning was previously the youngest at thirty one years, two hundred and twelve days old, almost two full years older than Joshua Patrick Allen, who should get the job done on Sunday. Amazing. Yeah, It's like I say all the time, is no one scores touchdowns at the rate of josh Allen.
Speaker 2: There is a reason why the Bills are the most entertaining team in football, and it's because they score score, score score, And that's the guy that's responsible for it.
Speaker 1: He's amazing. That's it for this episode. Be sure to subscribe on whatever podcast platform you use so you know when the next episode is out, or watch us on the Bills YouTube channel, because when you need to know about the Bills, you need to check Bills by the Numbers. For Steve Tasker on Chris Brown, thanks for listening. Merry Christmas, everybody,