Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my.
Speaker 2: Ball in a fried egg, Friday Egg, the dreaded Friday Egg, Frida Egg, Frida Egg, bride Egg.
Speaker 1: Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the course. Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Egg Podcast. I'm your host and Andy Johnson, and I'm joined by the Three Man Weave. We've got DJ Paiehowski from Scratch and Tron Carter from No Laying Up. Welcome back, guys.
Speaker 3: Thank you Andrew. It's good to be weaving. Good to be weaving. Always be weaving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tront has been been a little a little while since you've been on the pod. Kind of curious it was a big weekend for you and Bryson. I would love to hear your thoughts on H one one transpired.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: First of all, I feel like my absence from the pod trans uh coincided with our trip to Fishers when I proved myself to be an elite amateur and beat you on the golf course and you just you just can't handle it. Yeah, The John Deere Fifth Major.
Speaker 4: By the way, Tron beating you at Fishers. We don't have to talk about you guys' golf games because no.
Speaker 3: One gives a ship.
Speaker 4: But Tron beating you at Fishers is like Bryson missing like eight straight cuts.
Speaker 3: And then coming out and knocking off a win. Very similar, Bryson. We're both elite amateurs, that's true.
Speaker 1: I I wouldn't say I am an elite amateur. I'm a middling amateur.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest.
Speaker 2: You say you're an e leade amateur pretty often.
Speaker 1: So anyways, really good moving on Bryson.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, fifth Major. Good week, of course was great. I felt the greens were a little bit slow on the weekend, but we're not going to nitpick what was weather like.
Speaker 1: They have a lot of rain early in the week times of rain camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Actually you guys got crushed in Chicago, right, Yeah, But anyway, I mean it was it was a good week. Charles Hell third came out firing. Honestly, Bryson wasn't even on my radar screen to start Sunday, like I thought he was just gonna So Randy's been just pumping Bryson.
Speaker 3: Probably twelve weeks.
Speaker 2: Now, Hey, guys like Bryson, he's coming, He's coming, He's coming, and like all of us are like, you're you're insane, dude.
Speaker 3: What's the what's the bet? Every time he missed the cut?
Speaker 2: Every time Bryson misses the cut, Randy has to watch one or two episodes of The Wire, which he's like always refused to watch. So he's been watching a lot of the episodes of The Wire. He's through like two seasons, like the Sabatkas and everything. So finally, like, you know, Bryson just comes through. I took a nap on Sunday afternoon and I just figured, like and then I kind of checked my phone and like Rogers was running away with it, and I was like, I man, like even Patrick Rodgers can't miss putts and choke this away. Sure enough, Bryson just comes through and comes out dukes of hazard and uh he shot thirty on the back nine. And my Mike Bryson thing isn't so much. I don't think the guy's a fraud. Like he's obviously a great player. He's been uh you know, naa champion, USAM champion. I'm not sure he can play outside the Midwest. He hasn't proven that yet. I mean, he's won at Aaron Hills, he won at Olympia Fields, he's won in Cleveland. Those are pretty much just three big wins. But he's just he can't stop talking about how smart he is and.
Speaker 3: How how.
Speaker 2: You know, how unique his mindset is and everything. Just go play, man, I've said this on pods before. Just go play, Like, quit trying to actively piss everybody off, and like he doesn't have a whole lot of friends in our allies out there.
Speaker 4: So here's the counterpoint to that, I think is first of all, I'm all in on Bryson, not in the not in the traditional way, I don't think.
Speaker 3: And I think when a lot.
Speaker 4: Of people say like, oh, I love that guy, I think what they mean is like, man, I'd love to sit down and like have a beer with that guy. And That's not what I'm saying at all. Like we seem like very different people. I don't know that we would like I don't know that we would necessarily get along, but I absolutely love just the circus that comes with it, and as far as like entertainment goes, like watching him make a backline charge rivaled like Bubba or Poulter or any of those guys, Patrick Reid, any of those guys.
Speaker 3: Being in the mix.
Speaker 4: And just from a pure like golf fan entertainment standpoint, it like almost.
Speaker 3: Doesn't get any better, like it's building.
Speaker 4: Like imagine if you know, if he gets in contention, like actually when he was in contention with the Masters, like it was awesome, like and who cares like what he's doing or or any of that stuff, Like I'm an.
Speaker 3: Agreement that golf needs a build.
Speaker 2: You brought up all these your word, I don't know you brought up Poulter, read Bagdad, Jerry, I mean all these guys.
Speaker 3: Well, and so here's here's the other thing is.
Speaker 4: To a degree, all the like science stuff, all that's like is not his fault. And I think it's a bit of him getting sucked into the narratives you guys are always so happy to talk about because I think what happens is like I mean, you see it, and it's fair questioning, but because that's like what people know about him, and that's what they want to hear. But like he wins, and the first question is about like you love science. Nobody tell us about science isn't that crazy?
Speaker 3: He does. He does.
Speaker 2: He's just he goes so over the top and so beyond the pill on some of his answers where it's like, man, just say just say you know what.
Speaker 3: I'm working on some things right now, but I know.
Speaker 5: But That's what I love, though, is if he did that, everyone would be like, man, what a dick?
Speaker 3: Like he's so standoffish. I love just leaning into it and just completely yea leaning well.
Speaker 1: A lot of traditional media complain about Dustin Johnson and his lack of responses and interviews, and Bryson is just the complete opposite. He gives you too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like he does it in a way that instead of being informative, he is very don king self. He's like a mix between Don King and like Albert.
Speaker 1: Einstein, don King and Albert.
Speaker 3: It's like Bryce and d Chambeau. In the Art of Self Promotion, it's a book I would read.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying so trying.
Speaker 2: I think the art history teacher wrote a book called Booker T. Washington in the Art of Self Promotion, So volume two I could do Volume.
Speaker 4: Two first of all, talk about like, here's the one thing that does get glossed over a little bit. I think is like his game is so good, Like it's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he mashes the ball, he destroys the ball, and like he's just struggled too much with this putter. But he seems to be fine to something. He's gonna win a major championship like I I like would say that of young players outside of John Rahm, like Bryson D. Chambeau is going to win a major, Like I put him up there with almost anybody else that's major free under twenty three four years old.
Speaker 3: The thing that also, not a lot of people knows that all his irons are the same length.
Speaker 5: Or or are Yeah, you want to fill this up, there's some It was on golf RX there somebody tweeted that, you're like, man, this is like not a whole lot of people know this, but most tour players they're irons are the same line.
Speaker 3: Just a scorching take.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's darker place, the.
Speaker 3: Com trails of golf conspiracy.
Speaker 2: Somebody somebody said jet fuel can't melt skill shafts.
Speaker 1: Here's a question, and what's it darker place? Golf Club at List's message wars or golf wrx's message wars.
Speaker 2: Golf WRX because that stuff like doesn't matter. So like golf club atlists like that stuff's going to be around in fifty years, Like those courses, nobody's gonna be talking about the title or the tailor made a nine in like six months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think, like which I'm trying to think which group. I'm trying to think of the right way to say this. One of the groups has has more to lose, and I'm not sure like which one it is.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just it's like obsolescence.
Speaker 1: Yah, all right, Well the.
Speaker 3: Game just a game. I cannot I cannot even try to pretend like I keep up with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't get into it.
Speaker 2: All right, Andy, I got a question for you. So, one of the most interesting things I talked about, or I gleaned from Bryson's post round interviews and everything, was the fact that he was chasing a little bit more distance, like he was chasing another ten fifteen yards of distance. It seemed like he said he got that, he got that, got that figured out, like kind of got past that and then got everything sorted over the last three or four weeks.
Speaker 3: If he's so long, Like, why is he chasing more distance? Is he like the cat? He just can't?
Speaker 1: I think, well, I think that's what everybody does it to a certain extent. I mean, you get to tour and then you think you need to be better, you need you watch what's happening with DJ and you know you're like, oh, he hits it so far, I need to hit it like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, but Bryce's freedom long. I mean he was long at the US hand as long as the masters.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, I don't know where where does he fit? Like I don't know this, but like where does he fit among tour players?
Speaker 1: You know, I think, just like all part above average. I mean I don't have the stats right in front of me.
Speaker 2: Like eight percentile, right like seventy fifth, eightieth percentile.
Speaker 1: But you know you yeah, I think he's got the best. So I'm not sure where he is. But you get to tour and you see these low scores and he probably looked at it and said, I need to get more wedges in my hand.
Speaker 3: You know, he was looking at the data.
Speaker 6: He was you know, although he didn't have enough data because he wasn't making enough cuts.
Speaker 1: He was light on data compared to his competitors. That's why he needed to get.
Speaker 3: Plenty disadvantage these bigger sample sizes.
Speaker 1: You know. Another big winner was Rapha Cabrera Bayo finally one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all in them, my guy. That was awesome.
Speaker 4: I don't know a ton about him other than you know, I mean I've watched him play over here, just all the WGCs and majors and you know when he went deep at the match play and all that stuff, but like he was kind of sneaky falling into that, Like that was the most interesting stat as soon as he won, was just knowing like that the stat was going to be everywhere, like yeah, when was the last time that he because I couldn't picture it and it was whatever five and a half years.
Speaker 3: Are you saying he's like a poor man's Lee Westwood? He had he had three economy of Spain is kind of low. That's the other reason he's kind of the poor man. I think he's all the players Lee westw It is yeah, deep global.
Speaker 2: God keep diminishing Westwood Man.
Speaker 3: Versus Cabrera BeO.
Speaker 1: This week, any takers, No, you've got your.
Speaker 2: How about Westwood versus.
Speaker 3: Leishman is already locked? But that can we talk.
Speaker 2: About all right, I don't mean to skip ahead here because I think we need to talk about the Utah Championship on the Web Tour, but can we talk about Porter and where he pulled his odds from on his British Open preview column.
Speaker 1: I didn't see him.
Speaker 2: So he pulled it and he had who he had? He had somebody had the seventy five to one odds.
Speaker 3: The dictator Roberto Castro, Oh Castra.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had Roberto Castro as a sleeper at seventy five to one odds. On my sportsbook, Roberto Castro was five fifty to one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how it's money there.
Speaker 1: Castro is an interesting character because he made the Tour Championship last year and two years ago two years before he two years ago he made the Tour Championship and lost his car. You know it's again, Yeah, it's almost impossible to do like. I don't know if anybody else has ever done it legitimately.
Speaker 3: I'm not exaggerating here.
Speaker 4: I think if you could have any player on the podcast, he would be probably on my top five.
Speaker 3: I love Castro.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying anything bad about the man. It's just unbelievable that it's gonna it might happen again.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like it's kind of like a reverse or it's kind of like a Camillo community in a full season and doing it multiple times.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, It's nuts. I mean he uh so, anyways, that trying. We'll move on to the Open Championship now that we got there.
Speaker 2: Well all right last last year though, I just want to I want to set the records right on price and done this before. Bryson's got game, people, I'm not disputing that he's got game.
Speaker 3: He just.
Speaker 2: It's like he wants to be different. I'm cool with being different.
Speaker 3: Do you you do?
Speaker 2: You just don't tell me about it every and every time.
Speaker 3: Every time you're asked about it.
Speaker 2: No, No, he does any anytime, anytime, even when he's not. It's not like he's like speak softly, carry a big stick, carry carry a one a single length big stick.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, my our stack guy, just send me a message Tony reality, Bryson is thirty eighth and driving distance this year.
Speaker 3: It's like seventy percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's averaging three hundred off the team. Okay, it's crazy. I don't know why that guy would need to chase the yards, but it could have been in the data.
Speaker 4: So all right, well, just here's here's what I'm gonna say every time from now and this is all I will ask.
Speaker 3: You're entitled to your opinion. Here, I'll defend to the death, you're right to express the free country.
Speaker 4: Every time you see something that like drives you insane about him, just trace it back and say, like, why is he saying this? Is he saying this unprompted? Or is he saying this because he was asked about it again and again?
Speaker 2: But he has no discretion about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I just I think he's like lacks discretion.
Speaker 4: I think he is like I don't know, I think he's a I think he is just trying to embrace his unique miss and just trying to be him.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's certainly trying to raise what I'm into.
Speaker 1: I'm out on what his sponsors do to him. But the guy is just a total weirdo. You know, Yeah, is this different? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, I was lost.
Speaker 2: Like it was like even when people weren't interviewing about stuff and they would ask him about Oh, like why do you single like irons like, well, I signed my name left handed back.
Speaker 3: He's toned that stuff down. I think, I think I think he a lot of it is just like.
Speaker 4: Being a twenty two year old like millionaire that everyone is like fascinated with and like there's got to be something that like none of us have done that except as ground the internet celebrity is the only one that has gone through this, and it's it's hard to like, yeah, I mean, it's gonna be hard to like rate it in when people are like company your ego all the time. So who's like a big personality that like totally owns it that you like, Who's who's the model in golf just in general?
Speaker 2: Both Grayson Murray.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding. I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know if there is a blueprint because it's I don't know. I mean, you know, I would have a hard question.
Speaker 2: No that that's a very valid question and a good question. But I just think there's Yeah, I mean you could look at Ricky and say Phil would be my only Yeah, but like Ricky's a good like he does things his own way. I don't know if he's got that sort of quirky personality, but he does things his own way and he can you know, he's done it in a way that hasn't offended the ship out of his peers.
Speaker 4: I think Phil is the model for this. I think phils like old distinguished Bryson. If you think about the ship that he says and the stuff that Bryson says, they're not that different.
Speaker 2: Phil saying that ship in like ninety six.
Speaker 4: And he alienated everybody, and everyone's like, God, that guy's like a little much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I get the sense of like Phil has a ton of self self awareness too, and yeah, any and he always has, whereas I don't get the sense that Bryson has even remotely the.
Speaker 3: Same level of self awareness. Maybe maybe it comes with time, fair Fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what's interesting is that you're in on the Rerictator, Randy's out on the Rictator, You're out on Bryson, and Randy's in on Bryson.
Speaker 3: Randy being in on Bryson makes me even more than bring.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm surprised Andy's not not just beating the Bryce and drum.
Speaker 3: No, but he's got I've got tapes, he's texting me today. He's all in on Bryson. He's just laying in the weeds, right, there's contrarian.
Speaker 2: Andy's like, oh my contrarian brother, a contrarian revolutionary.
Speaker 1: I just I'm realistic. He's really good at golf. I'm not in on Bryson. Like I'm like DJ said, I'm never going to go have a beer with Bryson. That's something I'm not interested in doing. But I and I'm I don't really enjoy watching him play golf either. I don't think it's sluggish way the way the way.
Speaker 2: That was My one thing about Rogers was was, man, I feel like he should have gotten like a too, like two strokes tracted from his score for having to play with Bryson and Zach Johnson on Saturday.
Speaker 3: That was absolutely brutal. Interesting, No, and then and then I fired off a take.
Speaker 2: They were like like Bryson took like ninety seconds to line up Pott. I think he minded up six different times, got the line exactly right, some salt, And then and then I was like, man, like, can we just like preemptively put these guys in the clock? The fire off this take no less than like eight seconds later they walk up to the next team and they're waiting on the next team.
Speaker 3: And what would h We're a real quick flashpole for the group here. What would make players play faster?
Speaker 4: Get them getting doctor stroke or other players getting gaining.
Speaker 3: A stroke, other players gaining stroke would make them play faster like the rest of the field, or just the guys in their group. No, just the guys in their group.
Speaker 1: No, I can't be to the guys in another in their group because then you got to get guys behind them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not a perfect system, to be honest. No, it's it's the belt man, you put the belt on it. Sorry proposed this. Speaking of the belt, let's talk about the Open Championship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tron, you played Royal Birkdale a couple of months ago.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited and all I can think is just like flighted two irons off tas. It's the it's kind of a non the script start, but man, like you get out to six, seven to really the rest of the course, there's some just nasty part threes, but it's there's some serious course management involved too. It's a it's a disciplinarian's course.
Speaker 1: I hear, like I hear Driver might not be a popular club this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it all depends on I haven't looked at the weather. I heard kind of offhand that it was supposed to be shitty later in the week. But I mean, I think it's all It's tough for me to judge because the wind was blowing the opposite direction when we played it. But I think it's all dependent upon the wind and you know the direction it's coming from. But I mean, even the holes that were downwind, you were like the par fives for us were down the two part fives in the back and like it was, it was totally it was goading you win to being aggressive and going for it and then you just get like you hit it a little bit offline and you're lost ball. I mean, it was you gotta That's why it feels really.
Speaker 3: Speaky to me. I like, I like speed.
Speaker 2: I think DJ and I just took out second mortgages today to put on the strap three to one.
Speaker 1: Is that does it favor right to left, left to right at all?
Speaker 2: I didn't feel like it, And again I think it comes down to the wind. But one hole that sticks out to me where it was like four or five. I think it was five, five or six. It's like a part four and there's this it's pretty non as script. There's a lake on the right, and then there's a ton of bunkers up by the green. But somebody like DJ, if they're feeling frisky, they could pull it out driver carry one three thirty five and get lucky up by the green and put it on the green and have a two advantage over the field versus. But if that goes sideways, you're you're looking at six easily. So I feel like it's it's such you know, it's all about discipline. And the other big takeaway for me was there's a lot of on the greens. A lot of the greens are elevated, and there's these little like rivets in the side of the greens that these little runoffs that you really can't even see from the fairway, but they make the green a lot smaller than it than it looks to the looks to the eye before you play it. So I don't know, I don't think I've been this excited for a major championship for a while.
Speaker 3: This is gonna be sweet.
Speaker 2: I think that this is on like the level of like as far as interest in watching, it's on the level of like a shinnacock for me.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I praise, I praise.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it's just a really good test of golf.
Speaker 3: I don't think it favors anybody.
Speaker 1: You look at you, you look at the past champions. From there, You've got Johnny Miller, Peter Thompson won twice, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, I mean, pedigree Ian even Baker Fitch won when he was really good.
Speaker 3: I mean he was really really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was playing the best golf anybody in the world.
Speaker 3: Where did this fall in like his line of majors Harrington?
Speaker 1: I think the second second or second?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he uh is he?
Speaker 1: I mean he'll be in the Hall of Fame. All the other guys are Hall of famers.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about Peter Thompson just being so That was the big takeaway from going to England, was like Peter Thompson being so sorry to sidetrack us here, but like everywhere we showed up, it's like Peter Thompson had won. Therefore, now that's kind of you know, I was kind of like the ignorant dude. I was like, man like I I know about Peter Tom.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Probably two of the most underrated players in the history of golf are Peter Thompson and Tiger Woods.
Speaker 2: I feel like, you just this is just an excuse for DJ to bring up the Tiger Woods is underrated.
Speaker 3: It's just you know, just staying consistent with is Padrick underrated?
Speaker 1: I think I think he kind of is. Thompson won five Open Championships.
Speaker 3: I know, that's.
Speaker 2: Insane Tom Watson, and I feel like the Brits downgraded him because.
Speaker 3: He was an Australian. He's a prisoner, he's a criminal inmate, he was a Florida State seminal.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, Thompson. I mean, it's just somebody you don't hear a ton about. I mean Tom Watson is like beloved in in the British Isles. Yeah, but Thompson wasn't as beloved.
Speaker 3: No. Uh, Tom Watson play, He hasn't played. Has he played the opening in a couple of years? Andrews last one?
Speaker 1: Yeah he's done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because he had the Farewell Dark and.
Speaker 1: So he those two both won five Open Championships, which.
Speaker 2: Is where did all right, where did Peter Thompson win?
Speaker 1: He won two two at Birkedale. He won his first in his last at Birkedale, and then, uh, let's see where else do you win? I'd have to dive into these. I'm not going to dive into all these. We're we're done talking about Peter Thompson. That his chances here, that's that's another story for another day. Let's uh, let's talk a little bit about Rory coming in two of this cuts mm hmm, right, yeah, three out of his last four hasn't done it, hasn't really been relevant in a major since his win at Kiowa.
Speaker 3: You love that.
Speaker 1: Lee West has been more relevant in major championships since after the twenty fourteen PGA Championship than Rory.
Speaker 3: The twenty fourteen PGA If you only.
Speaker 4: Count Fridays and Saturdays where the golf course was in the Eastern time zone, Lee West has been way more relevant.
Speaker 1: Hey, he's got a runner up.
Speaker 2: All right, here's the other all right, going back to Peter Thompson, here's the other thing. The guy won three Open championships in a row, Birkdale, Saint Andrews, Liverpool, didn't win in fifty seven, came in, came runner up at Saint Andrews. So they quit Saint Andrews two or three years and then won the next year at lifting at Saint ANNs. So he won three out of four years. In the one year that he didn't win, he was runner up. That's freaking strong strong.
Speaker 1: It's a historic pace speed. Underrated, Nobody's just nobody is saying he's not underrated.
Speaker 3: Let's move on from the Peter Thompson take. I'm going to war for Peter Thomas.
Speaker 1: You got anything on make a rib anybody?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: I mean I watched most of the Scottish Open last week and he just he looked like a kid trying to find his mom. He was he was lost with them all.
Speaker 3: He was his mom.
Speaker 2: He couldn't like I mean I was, and he he chalked it up to a simple fix of ball position and his stance.
Speaker 3: But he looked fine off the tee.
Speaker 2: He just couldn't anything below an eight iron. He just wasn't even remotely in the circle of trust with I.
Speaker 4: Didn't get to watch much of the Scottish Open, but it just seems like for the last two years.
Speaker 3: Just I know I've harped on this before, but it just always feels like it comes back to just missing like momentum putts being able to grind. Yeah, and he just yeah. They like it.
Speaker 2: They were like, yeah, man, like it's a big round for like, I feel like everybody keeps saying every time you watch Rory on the big round for r they said that the Irish openly said, go.
Speaker 3: Back to like when he was paired of speed in the last group of Augusta and he just got vaporized, blown out to sea, blown out to race, blown out to Rays Creek, a tributary.
Speaker 1: It's the other thing I just noticed with Rory is like, if you watch the way Speif misses a lot of times, Speith will miss short on the side of the green that he's got a lot of space. Just seems like Rory regularly short sized himself and it's just in the worst places. He misses long a lot, misses long and left. And then.
Speaker 3: I think I'm probably gonna bring up the same thing. Here are you on the you in the anti JP chorus of that's right.
Speaker 2: There's this giant undercurrent of people, I mean, players, caddies, casual fans, knowledgeable fans, analysts, everybody's like there's this ground swell of anti JP sentiment out there t where they feel like he's constantly miss clubbed, He's constantly I.
Speaker 3: Don't I don't have a read on him.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm out there on the conversation like I don't know, but I feel like you you may have a better read on it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like many are saying that this is the problem.
Speaker 3: Many many people are saying this has potential to be fake news.
Speaker 1: Though also yeah, I mean, until you're there, I think it's the player's job to hit the shots.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 4: I mean, does it like, does that mean JP was really killing it when Rory was the best player in the world and he was flagging everything and like, yeah, making every like I don't know, if I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, well, I think the other thing with Rory too is he's at what point, I mean, how many times has he changed the equipment now the last three or four years?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I mean I don't know when he switched from three.
Speaker 3: At least yeah, four titleists to Nike to Callaway Taylor made.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like at some point, like that's that's going to catch up with you, just just like an injury would, or just like it's just one more variable to consider.
Speaker 1: I just don't understand the whole putter thing, like he put it so well with the Scottie Cameron at the end of last year, Like he wins the Tour Championship, you know, he wins the FedEx Cup using that.
Speaker 2: It feels like it was five years ago. So that that's my thing with the whole equipment thing. And I know I can't you know, I'm not like the best A. I don't give a shit about equipment.
Speaker 1: I think I think we need to get a golf w RX forum guy on here and so much just.
Speaker 3: Start a thread about Tron's equipment takes and B like yeah, B.
Speaker 2: Like Callaway pays us in no lingo. So like I'm not you know, like I'm not the most well intentioned guy with equipment. And so for me, if DY felt like, all right, I like these irons i'm playing, I like the ball i'm playing, I love this driver i'm playing, that's great, but like the putter is kind of separate from all that, right, Like if if you really like, I mean, I heard anecdotes of he picked up that Scottie Cameron putter again and was putting with it. And he was like, man like, it's like back, like being with an old friend, you know.
Speaker 3: And and he was he was putting really really well with it. And and now he's using you know, he's he's.
Speaker 2: Switching back and forth between a mallet and it just seems like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean having four putters out there Saturday a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Again, and it's, man, if you're trying to you know, if you've if you're really about playing the best stuff, and you can get paid for it too, But if you want to play the best stuff, then then play the best stuff and don't worry about this equipment contract stipulates that I have to have that potter in the back. Yeah, that's my that's my take.
Speaker 4: I think where I was going to go with it originally a tum andy here if he wants to talk about it, is I think there's a growing One of my favorite conspiracy theories is maybe Rory's not strategic enough of a player. And if you look at his US open history and you look at like some of the tracks where he's played well, some of the tracks where he hasn't played well, what you know, what does that say about the way that he plays and like, you know, you Andy, you kind of you kind of alluded to it, like at the US Open this year, I know, after Thursday, when you know, all these big names just got completely ejected on the first day for kind of trying to play bomb and gouge and it was it was kind of him, Jason Day, a lot of those guys, And I don't know, I'm just I'm curious if you think there's any weight there or or.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's it's interesting to think about, but you always think about what if golf. Yeah, with technology the way it is, it's not possible to play at like the most strategic golf courses because their strategy has been rendered useless.
Speaker 4: Right, But it's almost like when you have everything going, when when you're just like flushing everything and Tiger, yeah, I mean when you're when you're just unconscious playing video.
Speaker 3: Games with them.
Speaker 2: What's like, It's like Tiger at Litham when he was hitting two iron off every tea and it didn't matter if he was thirty yards behind everybody, because he was.
Speaker 4: When you're like playing, when you have that much control over what you're doing, like it's fine to play one way and as soon as you don't have total control over everything you're doing. It just seems like if you take the same lines, like, it's so much easier to get just ejected and missing all the wrong spots and a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think a good study is just if if you could go watch a round of golf, you know, when you can get to see Rory play with Speed, because to me, I think they're the complete on the polar opposite levels in terms of like Speith is the guy that you watch play and you say, how the hell did he just shoot sixty seven? He was all over the place, so he didn't do anything like he scraped it around.
Speaker 3: Which that quote literally came from Rory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they played together togainst it and then Rory's the guy that you watch and you're like, how the hell did he shoot sixty nine? He should have shot sixty five. Yeah, And it's interesting because if you watch where Speed misses, it's a lot different than where Rory misses.
Speaker 2: It's a lot more cerebral, right, I mean it's there, it's always well intentioned, it's always.
Speaker 1: He misses on. He doesn't short sight himself a lot, so it's a lot easier to get up and down.
Speaker 2: But so so my question for you is is that where greller comes into where because it's tough to it's tough to constantly be thinking of your misses and not.
Speaker 3: Start playing defensively.
Speaker 2: Versus I think like that's that's kind of that fine line between Hey, I want to miss in the right spots, but at the same time, I want to go with flags.
Speaker 1: I want to you know, So this is could be where the putting all comes into it, is that Rory's been struggling with his putter, so he feels like he has to hit it close to make Birdie's speeding notorious for rolling in twenty footers and fifteen footers, he doesn't feel the pressure to have to fire at flags and make Birdie. That could I mean, I don't know if that's true, but that could be part of it.
Speaker 2: Is the other thing, too, is speed, because I agree that's the that's the ultimate kind of case studies in different spheres of the game, kind of speed versus Rory into a less extent like on the Euros or Thomas Peters versus like a Matthew Fitzpatrick.
Speaker 3: But like I think it's also.
Speaker 2: By the time it's all said and done, Rory and Speed could SPIE's putter's cooled off some you know, some would say this year or in the last eighteen months, like is that something where Speed the way that he makes putts and the way that he kind of stacks him up in certain rounds, Like Rory may make the same number of those putts, but he's just he's he's either a streak year with it and he's not doing it in the same scenarios and he's doing it just kind of all stacking him up like late in a Sunday round like or you know, early on a Friday.
Speaker 1: I mean, it just there's a whole psychology I think when when you don't put well and when you know, like Rory knows he hasn't been putting well, like, it wears on the rest of.
Speaker 2: Your game through the Yeah, you start pressing, you need.
Speaker 1: To hit drivers further, so you need to set up you know, wedges that you can hit closer, and eventually you're going to make the mistake versus Speed. I mean, he's won twice this year, Speed and he's been in contention and a lot of times why he hasn't won more is because the putters putts just haven't fallen. But his process and understanding, hey, like I don't need to fire at every flag, yields him being in the hunt a lot. And I think, like anything, you can't make a lot of birdies without a lot of birdie opportunities. You can't win a lot of events without being in contention a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the other thing. Do you do you think do you think Rory is held back by the fact that his driver's his strongest attribute, where you know, like he that's what he feels like his advantages, and if that's not firing on all cylinders, then there's not a whole lot of foundation there versus speed. That's like, you know, if everything, if the putter is his strongest attribute, that's his foundation, and right, there's not a whole lot else built upon it.
Speaker 3: With a bad putter, you can still shoot sixty nine. You're not bad driver.
Speaker 2: You're not as relying upon one putter or one one club because he can his putter can go cold and his ball strike and still good enough. Whereas if if Rory's you can only hit your driver so many times around, right, and then you got to just you know, club in from there and it's it's it's a different story.
Speaker 3: First thing. I mean you still see Rory beating up the par fives and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It says not a good air. If you want to win a lot of golf tournaments, it's not good to be struggling with your short irons and putter.
Speaker 2: But coming back to Birkdale, I think this is why this is like the ultimate. I would bet on Speak ten times out of ten if it was just Speed heads up versus Rory at Birkdale, because I think it takes the driver out of Rory's hands on.
Speaker 3: A lot of holes and on the holes that he's going to hit it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he may be thirty thirty yards ahead of Speed, but Spee's you know, half half wedge game is so good that I don't think it really it's that pick of an advantage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a short course. It's only seventy one yards, so it's if it's firm and fast like most of them play. It's not you don't have to necessarily be a bomber to sixteen here.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of there's a lot of blind t shots, there's a lot of you know, just really quirky shots that you got to hit to where you know you can't just bomb and golllege this course, you're gonna get ejected.
Speaker 1: So so of the guy of the established guys that have won major championships, who's your guys pick trying? It sounds like your team speed.
Speaker 3: Uh, for guys that have won before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Speed, and then I got I got Harrington in one hundred and twenty to one.
Speaker 3: I think last weekend before. That'd be so fun. I love him. How about the follow up? See Padrick? All right here, let me let me just you.
Speaker 4: Know, let me just circle back to an earlier part of the conversation here. Padrack is also a guy that is long winded, that is tinkering constantly doing all kinds of weird.
Speaker 1: Though it's not like that's isn't it just because of his accent.
Speaker 3: No, he's not as being reverse racist straight out, He's not arrogant. It's not about Padrick.
Speaker 1: He's just he's just like, yeah, all Rightail, I love Padre and I love I mean, I was gonna say Speed too, but that's because I pick him to win every tournament.
Speaker 3: But he's due. I feel like he's been the last Yeah, oh dude, he's like he's hungry. Yeah, exactly. You Sabody won with a Travelers. Like as soon as he gets it going, I mean, it's gonna be He's gonna people's doors off.
Speaker 4: It also feels like, I mean, I know this is just the nature of golf being played every week in multiple places, but it feels like Dustin is like the.
Speaker 3: Most underrated player in the world right now.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's really flying under the radars.
Speaker 2: Yeah he doesn't, like he was getting four to one five to one odds and.
Speaker 3: Tournaments, yeah, four months, three four months, and like the only this is so funny, but how it happens with Gop.
Speaker 4: But like the only reason that he is like kind of quiet right now is just because he's like taking time off to hang out with his kid.
Speaker 2: And like, I don't know, he he allegedly got pushed down the stair or he allegedly fell on the stair, right.
Speaker 3: He I don't know. I mean I think he's gonna be up there.
Speaker 4: I think like him hitting you know, two three four irons all over that place and just putting himself in good shape, like.
Speaker 2: Because I think that's that's one of the underrated things about Dustin is how disciplined he can be.
Speaker 3: His game point hits.
Speaker 2: He hits a lot of two irons and three woods off tease where people just you him as some bomb and gallager.
Speaker 1: And it's not I'm going, I'm going Sergio. Yeah, I like you.
Speaker 2: You think he's still hungry.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean the the Open is the tournament that you expected him to win forever, like he always it's he hits it so good, he's never out of it. Yeah, and you know he's he's got the piano office back.
Speaker 2: So the other thing that that worries, the thing that wears me a little bit about Sergio is the greens. It is supposed to be pretty windy later in the week, the greens might be a little slower.
Speaker 3: And just putting in the wind is hard.
Speaker 1: So I think the wind actually diminishes putting skill because it's really hard to make long putts when it's windy.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's really hard. It's really hard to get lag putts close to Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: End up having to make a lot of eight footers.
Speaker 1: That's what Sergio is great at, right, Yeah, something like that. I'll tell you who you know going into the guys that haven't won. You know, we've had seven straight first time major winners. Lee Westwood was a great.
Speaker 3: Literally, yeah, he just looks rock solid over those three footers.
Speaker 1: This might be Lee's last chance, last real good chance. I don't think he's gonna be in the Masters next year. He's got to be in the top fifty in the world.
Speaker 2: And I could getting on his horse and winning like one of those roll Lex couple events and.
Speaker 3: Dubai or.
Speaker 2: Something next year.
Speaker 3: You know he's gonna ball out at the ned Bank Challenge next year. Guys like I feel like that. I feel like a parent.
Speaker 2: That's like divorced. And then we're getting into the Leashman next and like Andy's gonna.
Speaker 3: Shoot on leish I never have.
Speaker 1: I just I just have pointed out.
Speaker 2: I just think it's poor timing. Leishman just had a kid, you know, but he's I don't know. I just I think of two irons off tees and I think of that driving iron that speed has.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, you know, what about your brother Jason Day?
Speaker 2: Then Jason Day stinks his ball flight's too high, he can't grind.
Speaker 3: He stinks what about Ricky?
Speaker 1: What about Ricky?
Speaker 3: What about the Rictator totally.
Speaker 1: I love Ricky.
Speaker 3: I like that he didn't win last week.
Speaker 2: That helps in Scotland. I think that helps immensely. You don't want to drain the reserves. Man, we didn't talk about Andy's boy. Uh Romulus, I mean blew everybody away.
Speaker 3: Two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: He he showed that his game might be better across the pond, I mean the whole.
Speaker 3: Across the I know.
Speaker 1: It's uh.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm surprised you haven't done a deep dive on like his amateur career. Him playing in the amateur and he won the better events.
Speaker 1: I think he won the Spanish and twice.
Speaker 2: No, but i'll talk about the ones in the British Isles.
Speaker 1: I don't think he played the Eisenhower Trophy one year. I don't think he play the.
Speaker 2: Amateur and like the I don't know if he played the English amateur or the Irish amateur.
Speaker 1: I did a deep dive on John Brown's amateur career a while ago.
Speaker 2: But I don't So you've left some little, little a trail of breadcrumbs that's not quite picked up yet.
Speaker 1: You can, I mean you can go on the site and read it. But I don't think he did anything crazy in on the British isles, he did most of his damage.
Speaker 2: And started started chasing splittail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean mostly got to the States. He like the life in the States.
Speaker 3: But I mean.
Speaker 1: He's another guy you can't the way he hits the ball.
Speaker 2: The odds are crazy. He's like, it's like DJ.
Speaker 3: Him.
Speaker 2: There's like four guys that are that are.
Speaker 3: Basically co favorites, and he's one of the co favorites, probably those two Speak and Rory, right, yeah, I don't even think Rory. I think Rory's like behind those guys. Rory's always a betting favorite, though.
Speaker 1: You know who I kind of like this week who hasn't won a major yet is Hideki.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can say that he's gonna win a British at some point.
Speaker 4: The bat like the whole wind kind of neutralizing the putting a little bit seems to play in his.
Speaker 3: In his favor. I think Dey's gonna win at CARNOUSTI mm hmm. I like that Carnosie next year. I think what about Bryson this week? I don't even I didn't even know Riyson on a passport, and.
Speaker 1: Bryson's game is kind of good for a British Opening. It's a good.
Speaker 3: It's going a short story because you don't have a data on the course. I feel like there's no shot link, there's no shot link. He can't he can't feed Watson.
Speaker 1: I feel like Fleetwood is getting just so much hype and it's well deserved by his play, but it's gotten the kind of outrageous levels where people everybody's like listed him as a favorite.
Speaker 2: Well, so you know what kind of pisses me off is that's people not doing their homework. Because Fleetwood, when we talked to him without the players, I was like, oh, you're from Southport, England, Like, you know, you must be really really excited for the Open this year. And he's like, yeah, I'm pumped to go home. But like, I've never really put Hillside in formby a lot, but I've never played Birkedale all that much. Like I don't like he's it's kind of an unfamiliar course, just like it is to most of these young guys.
Speaker 3: So what do you all?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Two guys, two guys that I like a lot, and this is going to shock you shock the world, all right?
Speaker 2: Ustazan first of all fifty to one through some money on him just because I feel like I don't know that guy's almost got what three majors?
Speaker 3: I don't I don't want to say this.
Speaker 4: I feel bad saying this because I love Louie, love Louis, But Louie's deep in the Westwood game.
Speaker 3: He's he's turning into South African Westwood pretty quick.
Speaker 2: But I don't think he cares though, he doesn't care that much. So and he's already won.
Speaker 3: One, so what do he is? Just like the switch is gonna flip this week?
Speaker 2: And like no, he just doesn't. It's it's just another tournament.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: And then the what about Paul Casey?
Speaker 4: I mean so good, I could bet on Paul Casey, but he's another one that like again, like I love Casey and he does everything well, but like what was the last thing that he wants?
Speaker 1: He hasn't won him forever forever, I think anywhere, Like, yeah, it's been years.
Speaker 2: Well and just to climb back to where he was to even getting his PGA Tour card back, that was that was a lot of energy right there. So the guy I was going to say earlier was was was Couture. Fardy picked him this week.
Speaker 3: Oh I would love that too.
Speaker 2: He's seventy five on Fardy said he was just glowing about his ball flight, which I don't know if that's just like a kind of like a women's like women's seven would just yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a low. He's going to swoop in and win the Rico British Women's British Open. Yeah yeah yeah, weed Bis yeah sure no yeah, shorter course too, yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just I don't know, I feel like Coucher plays well on.
Speaker 3: On. Uh.
Speaker 2: I actually I don't even know where Couture plays well. I just he could backdoor this thing, that's all.
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: What about that? Brian Harmon, Yeah, I know you're I think the tank, I.
Speaker 3: Think the tanks a little bit well right now. I expect you to play well this past week.
Speaker 1: So recent reason, uh, outside of Rory, recent Open Championship winners have been really old guys. I mean you got Stenson, Phil Coach, So that's something to keep in mind. I mean I think that links golf lends itself to more experience and it's not I.
Speaker 2: Think, especially this course versus say Ah, I don't know, like I mean maybe I think Carnoustie kind of comes down to a little bit more chance and look and driving the ball well, but like this one's more, hey, just like take your medicine and get the ball out there to seventy to eighty and then go from there. And then Cooch too, Like I was blown away at how many I think in every interview this week he referenced being like trying to prepare for the Open Championship more.
Speaker 3: And if you look at his.
Speaker 2: Record in the Open Championship from say twenty ten to now, he never did anything until like two years ago. Then he got like like T nine or something last year and he's like, man, like, what can I do to prepare for this even better?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna come over.
Speaker 2: And play the Scottish Open, Like I feel like this is the tournament other than maybe Augusta, that he really wants to win for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to war for Kosher. I put some money on him this week. What about Phil fits a lot of the things we're talking about here.
Speaker 2: Tell you who I think fills in his own head the older the.
Speaker 1: Older guys that I kind of think could be the ones that come through Rose and Scott, because.
Speaker 3: I always forget about those two guys.
Speaker 1: They're flying under the radar.
Speaker 3: They always are. They're so good.
Speaker 1: It's like, I haven't heard much about Scott. I saw somewhere he's got more top tens and and opens than anybody in the last like eight years or something like that.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about Scott just from a purely driving the ball keeping employment. He's playing really really well right now too. But just I don't know, it just comes back to the putter. You just I have a tough time. I know there's gonna be win. I have a tough time picking guys that don't putt well. But maybe that's just my biases creeping in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, so Adam Scott overrated, underrated. It's a good segue career wise. Woh, my computer battery is getting down there.
Speaker 1: All right, I'd say Scott.
Speaker 3: Man, you might be all right.
Speaker 1: I think underrated because he was so good for so like the consistency has me say underrated.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: I value consistency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 2: But he might be a globalist Switzerland Bahamas doesn't really doesn't really have a home country anymore.
Speaker 3: Citizens of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he plays the world schedule, global elite.
Speaker 1: We got we got a ton of stuff on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Here, pluck your computer, DJ, let's start bucking our heads.
Speaker 1: Overrated, underrated from car for the course, playing the Irish and or Scottish Open to prep for the Open.
Speaker 3: And that's such a good question, DJ, go for it. Well, I'm trying to think, Uh, I'm trying to.
Speaker 4: Think about just the like the guys who've done it recently and the guys who have won. I'm gonna say it's slightly overrated. I think it's a little overrated. I think, like, I think it's just kind of like a fun thing.
Speaker 3: I think guys like I think, I think people go through these trends and honestly, I think it's more like right driven.
Speaker 4: Than it is like player driven. I think, like who chooses to like highlight these things? But like, yeah, and I think that like a couple of years ago, if you remember, like it was all about oh he loves playing the week before major Ricky loves playing three weeks before.
Speaker 2: Like guys that have played the week before at the Scottish opin guys that have skipped the week before and guys that have played.
Speaker 3: The John Deere. I think it's yeah, the last nine. Yeah, I'm going to say it's a little I'm gonna say it's overrated. I love it. I'm all in.
Speaker 4: I love watching those guys. I didn't really watch it this year, but I'd love watching the guys go over and play. And I love having two weeks where you kind of get a early and watch golf your coffee in the morning.
Speaker 2: But shout out to NBC too. Yeah, they in Golf Channel. They killed it the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: But I'll say I'll stay a little overrated.
Speaker 2: I will say I think it's probably overrated as far as prep goes, maybe playing both. But at the same time, I think it's I think it's underrated. I think more guys should do it just for the game and for just kind of I feel like the guys that appreciate playing golf do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like a fun time to go do it. It's like a bad spot on the schedule.
Speaker 3: Also, I mean, don't don't talk about the John Dear like that. Bro. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's it's something where I feel like the euro Tours on the right track with this Rolex series.
Speaker 3: I think they should.
Speaker 2: If I can go off on a little segue here, I think the the governing bo or the tour should do something to where like personally, I think it's bs that there's not more.
Speaker 3: Guys playing in Australia every year.
Speaker 2: I know it's tough to get to but there's guys going over and playing in the HSBC and the Dunlop Phoenix and they're gonna have that PGA Tour event.
Speaker 3: In Korea this year.
Speaker 2: Where if you're going all the way over to Australia to play or to you know, all the way over to Hong Kong or to Shanghai to play for a week or two, that's what a five or six hour flight, maybe an eight hour flight from Australia, but you can kind of skip up to Singapore.
Speaker 3: And then from there.
Speaker 2: Like I think the schedule should be more segmented to allow for these guys to visit different parts of the world and do it for three weeks at a time and make it worth it. And the fact that there's only two events in Australia now versus three kind of makes me mad. And I think it's the same thing like the Irish Open almost died what six five six years ago, like there was you know, the economy was was fluttering and all that. But I think the euro Tours on the right track with this Rolex thing. I just think they need to tighten it up a little bit. I get that Turkey event out of there.
Speaker 1: I think the European Tour needs to become like the World Tour.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh it's it's definitely a misnomer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it needs to and it needs to get Asia and Australia and on it.
Speaker 2: You know, like there should be a WGC in Australia every year.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I completely agree with that. It's probably one of the best golfing countries in the world. And yeah, it's tons of great golf courses and.
Speaker 2: In its primetime golf, Like if you if you have a tournament there, you can put golf on from like nine to one am in the States and on a and shit, have it on a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or something like that and it's like midweek prime time. You market at the right way. That's crazy ratings.
Speaker 1: All right, We're getting back to the questions who gets more to ur wins in their career, Wes Bryan or Bryson d Schambeau from Mike Yost.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean I'm going to stay consistent here and say, Bryson, I think if you just look at like, I mean, I know this isn't indicative of everything, but just look at you know, I know you're like this too, any but you always look at like how guys have played at every level, and usually that's the best indicator of kind of like just how they've always played against their peers. And I think, you know, Wes obviously is massively overachieving now in relation to what he did in college and what he did his mamet and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Where probably just all around games. Yeah, yeah, I mean I think Bryson is head and shoulders above Wes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. The thing I think is Wes is going to play at about ten courses a year really well, like Harbortown, John by Sony yeah, Greenbriar, you're but Bryson. You probably wouldn't have picked Bryson to win it. John Deere as like his place to win.
Speaker 3: He can win.
Speaker 1: He can win at any course. So just because of that, Bryson gonna get more winds.
Speaker 2: I think I think Bryson's also going to go through more peaks and valleys too, Like I think he'll go through longer spells of you know, kind of really bad results as well, whereas Wes Bryan has kind of the His strength is the putting and that'll carry him through a little bit too.
Speaker 1: All right, Overrated Underrated from Oakley Harrington's baseball swing during.
Speaker 3: Got Underrated Man under It. Yeah, I'm all in. I mean, I love just I'm in on all that stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm in on when he was doing like he used to do, like a happy Gilmour is like a legit part of his you know, warm up. He was out there with like the straight jacket looking thing he's out there with, like with everything, I'm in on all of it.
Speaker 3: I am too.
Speaker 2: I think the one I think Padreg is probably the most conflicting character for me, just in terms of I really didn't I don't know if I didn't appreciate him when he was winning all his majors or just didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't know what to think.
Speaker 2: And then I've always been like since he came out of the wilderness, Sergio and all the all the anecdotes I hear about Sergio and podrig where like Sergio just basically shitting over Padre and like almost making him cry. I was like it just that stuff made me sad to where I'm like, man, it questions my allegiance to Sergio because how could you be mean to Padrig Harrington seems a future Ryder Cup captain, future, you know, so I mean, shit, how about Padre maybe making a run for for Ryder Cup.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, we're a long we're not talking about we should be talking about huh. Yeah. I heard rumors that you might be placing a fact fa in the President's Cup.
Speaker 3: Those are just rumors for now.
Speaker 1: So if you were a young budding professional, would you start out on the web or the euro Tour? This is from Eric Nelson.
Speaker 2: I think it all depends on resources, right, It's not it's not cheap the planet on the euro Tour probably cheaper now than it was three or four years ago with the with the exchange rate. But but yeah, I mean that's you know, if you're Peter you Line. I'm a huge Peter you Lin fan. But you can fly around on the jet to all these nice places that then hell yeah, but you grind Brooks did it.
Speaker 3: I don't know what Brooks's background necessarily was, is like financially, I mean, I'm sure you know, you get.
Speaker 2: Sponsored money, and he was, well, I think it all just depends on your background.
Speaker 1: This is your you're you're a future star, yeah say you're uh, but.
Speaker 3: Future you know, but past success doesn't always I mean you you line is a good example of that, actually, where like you know, who has come out of college recently with more promise or more heat than you Line did, And I mean it's taken him quite a while to kind of make good on a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 4: Actually, that's like, that's one of my favorite pods that Solid did. One of my favorite no laying up pods was with Peter Elin and just talking about how like, you know, it almost seemed like he it seems like a lot of times, like the experience of playing the European Tour, or.
Speaker 3: Playing the Challenge Tour, or doing any of these things.
Speaker 4: Like kind of gets wasted on these guys a lot of the time, and you Line seemed like the total opposite to where like he almost seemed like he cared too much about like taking in the culture and kind of like I think.
Speaker 2: That's my one thing with Kopka to where I don't think Kepka would have won the US Open if he in all things being equal, if.
Speaker 3: He came up through the web dot Com Tour and.
Speaker 2: Played, say, the Utah Championship instead of playing the Scottish Open last week, or playing uh, you know, like uh the Boise Albertson's Open instead of instead of playing the Madeira Islands Open, and learn how to play a firm and fast course.
Speaker 3: Like I don't think that.
Speaker 2: I don't think the Web Tour stuff necessarily prepares you for being a world class diverse player, like playing over there does you know where?
Speaker 3: Like to me, when when when Kepka won at I'm not a I'm not a huge Kopka fan, but when Kepka.
Speaker 2: Won at Aaron Hills, the defining moment for me was when was that short part for.
Speaker 3: You laid up? Yeah, when he laid up made Birdie but like.
Speaker 2: Stuffed that wedge in there, that's nine iron or whatever you hit in there and and did it. I don't know, like didn't didn't try to overpower it, but knew knew what his capabilities were, knew what the percentage plays were and still executed it. Like to me, most of the guys playing on the web Tour would have just bombed a driver down there and then tried to try to get up and down from seventy yards. So and that's not and that's not a slide on the Web tour. Like I know, the Web Tour, they'd like to play better courses.
Speaker 3: It's just a matter of it's just tough, you know.
Speaker 2: There's just not a whole lot of places that want to host and give away their their course for two weeks in the middle of prime season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'd rather play the European Tour, but it's also a lot harder to make feasible financially a.
Speaker 2: Family or you know, if you have any sort of connection, if you have a serious long term girlfriend and she's not you know, caddying forty or what like, that's that's it's just it's it's kind of I think it's just totally different realities, you know. And if you have the wherewithal to do that, then then then go do it. No brainer in my opinion.
Speaker 1: So CAV wants to know what's worst. Sketchers or blade collars.
Speaker 4: Man, Uh, it's been a while since I've owned a pair of Sketchers, I think a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how about Skechers going after grand.
Speaker 3: H I think I could make I think I I think I could make the blade color work for me better than the Sketchers.
Speaker 1: I would say, what about Sketchers going after a grand delay?
Speaker 3: That was aggressive, brazen, brazing.
Speaker 2: I uh so, here's my thing with Sketchers, And we're putting Brooke Henderson aside here because she doesn't count because I feel like she's like in Sketchers Captivity, They're like they're holding her against her will. Nobody's ever won a major wearing Sketchers, So if they want to play.
Speaker 3: The whole, nobody, you know, could Rusk.
Speaker 2: Grandas never worn a or he's never won a tour event. All right, cool, cool, nobody's ever won a major in Sketchers, which which brings me to my next guy, Andy Overrated, underrated. This was a question, Yeah, but everything changes, it's constantly shifting.
Speaker 1: As I as I said about Adam Scott, I value consistency. Yeah, I'm going underrated.
Speaker 2: You're such a Midwesterner.
Speaker 3: Uh, I'll say, very very very very very slightly underrated. I think I think he's pretty accurately rated. He's not even from the Midwest. What the hell are you guys talking about?
Speaker 2: Just just in general, like you're just overlate, you're just so American and you're underly critical.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Here, here's a good question, Ben McNamara, which Spaniard has the best chance to to open?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I'm gonna say rom just based on current form. Man, I don't know. That's a good question. That might be even money. Is Pablo in the field?
Speaker 1: Cut? I was gonna go with.
Speaker 2: Or Gonzale for non news Castano. I think I think he's probably playing in the fous all this week.
Speaker 1: Pablo is in the field. I also I'm a sleeper. Yeah, I almost put him as a sleeper. He hasn't been playing well lately though. He missed the cut this week, and I think that was the week before.
Speaker 2: That seems to be the ticket though, if you've missed the cut recently, probably gonna win the next week, all right, alex noran underrated overrated shout out sally.
Speaker 1: Are we talking about like where he's rated in the in the world rankings?
Speaker 3: No, just in general, just in people's minds.
Speaker 1: Oh man, he just he gets so much hype lately. I think he's almost overrated. But I I am firmly in the belief of like he's won so much lately that he's underrated.
Speaker 2: All right, that was a bad question. Can we talk about the qualifying just just the field in general.
Speaker 3: For there's a lot of so I watch a lot of golf, I follow a lot of golf a lot. There's a lot of names in this field that I have not heard of before. It is like there's some swaths of this field that are pretty uh pretty Richard Slash Adam Bland I would say.
Speaker 1: You're talking about like Mike Lorenzo Vera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, question.
Speaker 2: I don't know a lot about Mike's career. How did Maverick mcneally get in? I like Maverick McNeely, But but I mean there's a tie. There's a tie, dude not named curd aban rat or tongue traje I to eat.
Speaker 3: It's there.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming Castro running because he made the FedEx Cup like play finals.
Speaker 3: Probably Yeah, yeah, Mike Lorenzo Vera, Well, I think that the biggest point that comes down to you know, we had was Texans earlier today about it about how you know.
Speaker 4: Xander doesn't get in, Yeah, it doesn't get in for a fifth place finish at the US Open, but ends up getting in you know, for winning the Green Brier based on like which is a worse field and and all these things and not even that.
Speaker 2: But like the guy he would have come in, he would have come in second or third at the Green still would have gotten in.
Speaker 3: The guy who finishes eighth at the Greenbrier whatever it shook out to be that week.
Speaker 4: And and I know Streb was a beneficiary of this as well, but uh, that's that's a little shaky.
Speaker 1: Hey. So McNeely got in because of the mccorn Meca metal, which is given top ranked top ranked am. So that's pretty legit.
Speaker 3: You know, I would get that.
Speaker 1: He's he played pretty well at John Finally.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, no, no, Like I'm fine with him getting in. I was just curious as to he didn't win the US Say, like, I'm just thinking consistently titles and all that, But.
Speaker 3: How did g Wan Kim get in?
Speaker 1: I don't care to look up that.
Speaker 2: All right, So here's something that that kind of pisses me off. The US Open has that qualifier over in the British Isles to get into the US Open, Like it's like a sectional qualifier over there. The British Open has nothing like that.
Speaker 3: On this side of the pond, they don't. They don't have one here. I don't think they have one here.
Speaker 1: Most positive, it's all done through the tour events, so yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But there's a bunch more Yeah, but I guess and they've got they've.
Speaker 2: Got a lot more spots with the qualifying series. But still, and I like the qualifying series. I think that's sweet. I think the fact that a guy can get in.
Speaker 3: But I just.
Speaker 2: I do think there needs to be more emphasis placed on the US Open. If you play well at the US Open, you get into Open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 3: There's names in this field man.
Speaker 1: Top ten in the US Open to get you into the British Open, like Trey mullen.
Speaker 2: Versus like top four, like top four at the you know, because I think this too is a very developmental experience, Like if somebody gets into this tournament, that's that's invaluable for their career development as far as especially a guy like a Mullen Axer probably hasn't played a whole lot over in Europe, played well, we played college in the States. You know, he's not he's not all that familiar with it, Like this will challenge his game and help his game.
Speaker 1: This is an interesting tidbit that a a major champion told me that the US Open. He said that the Open, clever, the Open Championship is the easiest major to win of all the majors because of the draw and yeah, I think that the chance for the weather eliminating half the field. Mm hmm, So the Open is the easiest major to win of any major.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think if you look at like I was thinking about this earlier, I mean, the Masters has the worst field obviously of all the majors. Well, it's not the worst field, it's the least it's small.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this is kind of like like this strength of field here is like almost feels the same, except it's just kind of like one and a half times bigger and so like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then the PGA Championship overcompensates for having the theory, but they have the top hundred five, one hundred and ten players in the world there, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it's still I mean, it's still harder to win than any other Like, I don't know. To me, I think it's more impressive to win the British Open than it is to win a players championship, even though the players might have I don't know, statistically twice as good of a field, just because it's just such a distinctly different I do.
Speaker 3: I think that the point of form of golf. I think the point about the draw is a good one.
Speaker 4: That like it is impressive that, like, I mean, the year Darren Clark won was like, I mean, it was like a you know, statistical anomaly basically that year.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just like there were so many dudes that just had literally like no chance. That was a black swamp that was shout out there. That's that dude's name, Larry David No not to leave or whatever, the black swan dude the book deep. Yeah, I don't know whatever. We're going, all right, That's that's it. We got more of it.
Speaker 2: You got like what, I don't know, one or two more.
Speaker 1: Just we'll go quick ones, all right, let's get losing, all right. A couple of people ask me. People are asking many are asking about Poulter's resurgence and the possibility of a Patrick Reid Poulter final match and a Rider pup who wins.
Speaker 3: M hm, where is it this next?
Speaker 1: Rider?
Speaker 2: France yeah, I think Patrick Reid might have a seizure in France. So read and ram Or paired together this week.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, which could be there? Could be?
Speaker 1: Right. There was another question about how many structible Captain America Pat Reid missed the top ten by.
Speaker 2: I don't think like the guy. He's incapable of hitting a left to right Paul. And there's certain holes that burked out where you have to hit have to hit it left to right.
Speaker 1: So I wish there was betting that you could short people like you could you know, short stacks like I wish you could bet on the world golf rankings.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you just need to pull more resources bet everybody else. Besides, as you're shorting.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: This sounds like a like like a business opportunity. That's what I'm hearing it does.
Speaker 1: Let's see what else have we got here?
Speaker 3: I did think so.
Speaker 2: Kurt Byron probably said this three times this weekend. He's like man Ian Poulter is playing better because he feels like the deck is stacked against him again, like he's got something he's got to chip on his shoulder again.
Speaker 3: He's not comfortable anymore.
Speaker 2: He's playing for something that you know, that's I feel like Patrick Reid's kind of that same way. Yeah, we're like, it's like, I feel like we need to just revoke Patrick Reid's tour card. And she's like, hey man, you got to earn yourbody back on like he'd probably just start killing it.
Speaker 3: You've be your badging gun.
Speaker 1: Too much good press. He should never have gone on Farida. So uh, here's here's a good press. Yeah, that's that's a good point. I had an interesting one here. I lost it though. Oh here, I just love this this comment from Tucker. Tucker blanket, ship, blank and ship, yeah, blank and ship when Nick rib this is another cut Friday. What's the percentage chance of Johnny bringing back the tight shirt theory on this one year anniversary?
Speaker 2: Probably sixty and then and then and then adding a little blade collared.
Speaker 3: Dig in that well, it depends what the weathers did. It could be a tight sweater.
Speaker 2: I did see Rory, so Rory's scripting called for a sweater. No, sorry, that was JT's scripting.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say last thing. Let's talk about JT's I'm reserving judgment until I see it. Yeah, I think that's responsible. It's responsible. Take it's just I don't know like that. That that was strictly meant for golf divers to be like, oh my god, you're not gonna believe what JT Squaring. Yeah, I'm with you. Let's let's pull does a good job.
Speaker 1: Man. People are forgetting Ryan Moore. H yeah, Ryan Moore was this guy five years ago?
Speaker 3: Shut up, shout out j Riggedon love. I love Ryan Moore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's ahead of a curve.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Ryan Moore oprated? Underrating, underrated, way underrated.
Speaker 1: Right underrated. He hasn't played very well this year though.
Speaker 3: He's been hurt. Andy, do you have the the Illinois Amateur coming on tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Tomorrow tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you're listening to that. Why are you not? Why are you not in bed right now? Man?
Speaker 1: I got I got I'm in a late I got a late tea time. I'm at like one for in the.
Speaker 3: TV window featured pair you know, who's your feature pairing?
Speaker 1: Who are you with? I'm with I'm playing with this kid that plays at Miami of Ohio supposed to be a good player.
Speaker 2: Wow, get a shout out, big Randy, solidly.
Speaker 1: Almost one last year before Nick Hardy. Uh blew everybody up to see in the final two.
Speaker 3: Rounds you playing with Ben Curtis now unfortunately he can't stay. I can't stay.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Uh all right, last take Nick Hardy? Overrated, underrated? Career wise? Are you going with Nick Hardy.
Speaker 3: Or do you j J put them on the spot. There was a line of nations listening to podcast.
Speaker 2: He's starting to just sment right now. Yea, I.
Speaker 1: Myers had a better amateur career, but I like Hardy because he's got a gas gas pedal. He he shot twenty eight under in our stadium last year over four rounds, which is just insanity anywhere. It wasn't a hardcourt.
Speaker 3: What did you shoot?
Speaker 1: I shot? I shot plus four for my two rounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I was gonna keep it within forty shots if I made the catch, finish the raise.
Speaker 3: But you played that.
Speaker 1: No, it was that Saint Charles, the easy, easy track.
Speaker 2: But I say, oh, he's gonna diminish, it's gonna pump him up the n I's gonna tear him down.
Speaker 1: It was slow, it was soft.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It was set up for how many do you win by?
Speaker 1: He won by ten. He beat TK he beat t K Kelly by ten who.
Speaker 2: Just want to narcos sewer event shout out t K up at thunder Bay, Ontario last weekend, playing the playing the Mackenzie Tour.
Speaker 1: He missed. Uh t K. T K is a two times state champ, too state am champ.
Speaker 2: Many people are saying that TK is coming on the Trap Drap podcast this week.
Speaker 3: Wow, I surprised you guys haven't lost the password to get it there. But your password has expired to try to upload a new podcast. Hate news teacher, So I'm going hardy.
Speaker 1: He's he's also he's made a cut of us open.
Speaker 3: All right, one more?
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry sorry, one more Maverick McNeely or Patrick Rogers for the rest of their careers from from here on out.
Speaker 3: From this moment, man, I'm gonna take Patrick Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Can I take Tiger.
Speaker 3: Only? Only if I can take no time?
Speaker 1: As I was just gonna say, I'll take Big Mav. I'm worried about Big Mav getting bored after about thirty or four years.
Speaker 2: I'm worried about Big Mav getting ejected after about nine months and then being like, oh, this wasn't the plan anyway.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go be a businessman, which is fine, but.
Speaker 1: I'm worried about big MAV coming on in the mid am circuit and just vaporizing everybody.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: We already got shout shout out slender Man Stu Stu haggs STU.
Speaker 1: Sorry do that? You know we don't need another one.
Speaker 3: He's like, he's like the new and improved version of STU. Yeah, so have the travel size Stu.
Speaker 1: Is that it?
Speaker 3: We done? That's it, that's it, that's it.
Speaker 1: All right? So trying you got speed DJ? You have DJ.
Speaker 3: Hmm, I'm gonna take speed too.
Speaker 2: No, all right, I'm going off speed.
Speaker 3: I got Ricky, Okay, I got take speed.
Speaker 1: I got Sergio.
Speaker 3: We don't have to take different guys. That's okay, nah, I was was the plane along?
Speaker 1: All right? Well we'll catch up sometime. Enjoy the early morning golf. You guys gonna what's your telecast schedule? When are you getting up?
Speaker 3: I'll pretty it up about three. I think it's usually my You guys don't do that. I don't know. I mean, Mike A Sonati's what's Naught's opens at six or five? Yeah, Christinnati's. Get some key lime donuts, make some coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I actually i'll probably I'll catch beat bits and pieces on Thursday, trying to get everything done and then just absolutely binge my face off on Friday.
Speaker 1: I was in LA last year for it.
Speaker 3: It's tough, awful. You got to tell it one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you either have to stay awake. All I started I did, ended up like half assing and missing like four hours right in the middle. I'm waking up and watching the Rats. Yeah all right, enjoy all right, man, see dude, yeah yeah,