Speaker 1: I'm John Cipher and I'm Jerry O'Shea. I was a CIA officer stationed around the world in high threat posts in Europe, Russia, and in Asia.
Speaker 2: And I served in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and in war zones. We sometimes created conspiracies to deceive our adversaries.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to use our expertise to deconstruct conspiracy theories large and small.
Speaker 2: Could they be true? Or are we being manipulated?
Speaker 1: This is mission implausible.
Speaker 2: So I'd like to welcome Robert Kerno. She's an award winning journalist, broadcaster, author, and is a charity ambassador for dyslexia, something that touches on a lot of families, including Robin's and my own. Robin is now an American, but she's also a global citizen who can say that she's from Australia, South Africa, Britain and the US. So you were a CNN journalist and anchor for over twenty years and had a ring sight seated at almost every defining event over the last twenty years, and you now have a great podcast I want to plug Searching for America, where you explain or try to explain America to the rest of the world. So if you ever find America, please let us know. I will.
Speaker 3: I think it is one of those odyssees that where the journey is more important than the destination.
Speaker 2: So it seems like everything with three letters these days is viewed with distrust, right, you know, the focus of popular conspiracy theories, the FBI, the CIA, and the MSM. Mainstream media something that you were a representative of and still are. And so it's one of me. If you wonder if you could start to take us down the rabbit hole of why there is now so much distrust of mainstream media. And that's a plural, not a singular, right, that's a wide spectrum.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's an easy answer, and I think if we had the answer, perhaps the media wouldn't be in the pickle it is in right now. But certainly, when I was ends Africa correspondent, which I was for a long time, and I was traveling, more often than not people would say to me, oh, so you're from the CIA, and I'd go, no, it's CNN. I'm from CNN, and then they go yeah. But sometimes it would be interchangeable for some people, And I don't know you guys obviously didn't announce yourself when you walked into places. But I'm sure the sort of sense that the media and spies or intelligence was sharing the same space wasn't a big leap for people, And I think particularly in those days. Now this is ten years ago, and this is outside America. I think in those days it wasn't a big leap because for a lot of particularly African nations, with public broad broadcasters and the way societies were set up, that actually there was an intersection between journalism and spying, and that journalists sometimes had to report back to the government, or sometimes journalism was used as a front for a ficial a kind of spying operations. You know, that wasn't a far leap. So I think I've always had to deny that I was there for the wrong reasons, and the way I dealt with it was just to be pretty open about the way I was asking questions and everything, and use humor, which I'm sure you guys would use a lot as well. The way it is now that the entire institution of sort of media is seen as some sort of suspicious puppet of some dark, nefarious, sort of secret organization, and that we are being being played and all playing the public. It's terrifying and it is worrying, and I don't know how it got so bad so quickly. Yes, social media. Yes, leaders using the sort of the opportunity to do this in order to get themselves credit. There's that, And I think there've also been a few owned goals by mainstream media that perhaps as the debate got more and more fractured and fragmented, we did all pull into different corners. And so what you see now, even from ten years ago when I moved to America, you do see more of a defined CNN is taking a position, or Fox taking a position, or MSNBC taking another position. And I think that sort of perhaps in trying to protect ourselves, we might have just played into some stereotypes and that hasn't been helpful and it'd been given some of the critics an easy win.
Speaker 1: If you looked at a heat map, I think in the United States of the media where it was on the political spectrum of where people thought it was. The term that's thrown at you mainstream media is mostly thrown from the right because they believe the media is as a leftist bias. But now when I see these sort of heat maps of what people are watching, listening to, and where they're getting their information. It is largely frankly right wing stuff. I think the places that we consider more left wing media seem much smaller and being able to reach far fewer people, Like how did that happen? Like if you had even asked me a few years ago, I'd said, well, you know, on the spectrum media overall maybe is a little bit more liberal than conservative. But now that's actually not true. I don't think a right No, I.
Speaker 3: Think you're right. And I used the words fractured and fragmented for a very good reason. Somebody also talked about broadcasting and the way I you know, I'm an old traditionalist. I mean I started off in the analog world, and I still believe in that sort of traditional, almost moral imperative of the journalist. Whereas the broadcasting, which tended to see a program or on CNN International what I used to do, would tend to be quite of a wide you'd be kind of throwing a few stories at the dartboard in one thirty minute bulletin. Whereas I think what you're talking about now is this fragmentation to this narrow casting where you're seeing these tiny little it's not even just echo chambers, it's echo chambers with an echo chambers with an echo chambers. It's this network of honeycomb of the these tiny, little fragmented pieces of media. And that's where I think the ecosystem for the right, which is the podcast which you talked about so much during the run up to this sort of recent US election, particularly the kind of bro podcasts which just seem to have so much more clout. Why are those so much more powerful now and why are they getting so much audience? And I think that's also the question, you know, is it a conspiracy? No, I think it's because people are looking for something else. They don't trust the bias as they see it, the liberal bias of the mainstream media. But I don't think there's an easy answer to this, and this is why I'm puffing and puffing when I'm saying this, and I think it's probably also probably why you're asking these questions. And I don't think the bosses in New York have the answer, because if they did, they also wouldn't be trying. They would have fixed the viewership problem at CNN. They would have fixed the viewership problem at MSNBC, at New York Times. I mean, look at Washington Post. Nobody reads it really, I know I do. They're losing audience and they're not gaining new audience. And if there was an answer to this question, then we would have the solution. And I think we're in this incredible space of transition technologically clearly, you know where you can call it the Third Industrial Revolution. You can talk about reformations or whatever. But the sort of media, the ugliness and the messiness of where we are in the media right now, it's like a stew It's a mess. We're not quite sure where it's going to all land up. So I'm sorry, I'm not even answering your question because I don't have an answer. And there's a reason I'm not working in the media anymore, because it did become quite toxic.
Speaker 2: There are conspiracies in the mainstream media, and I'll name you too, okay. One is Fox News got hit for seven hundred and eighty million dollars for reporting things that they knew not to be true, and we're basically feeding their audience something that they knew not to be true. And there's an other case coming with smart manic. And the second one is miss you've mentioned sinister forces behind one American news network is owned up to fifty percent, it's not clear by the Altani family, the Royal family and Cutter. So you've got a foreign influence. It's not a democracy that has must have some influence on these. And yet this is not the New York Times or the Washington Post, which are fact based and yes they've made mistakes, but they cop to those mistakes and they say we got this wrong, and they'll retract things. And so I my sense is that there are conspiracies within the media, but it's not the places where that generally are getting blamed for it. I don't think there's some cunning plan behind the Washington Post, right or maybe Jeff Bezos now, but yeah, no.
Speaker 3: But I think when I talk about self inflicted, because I mean trying to figure out, how do you get to this point where nobody trusts you, even if you've been doing the same thing the same way, same fact checking at CNN, even doubly so you know, in the last ten years, same and even more passionate dedication to actually saying to giving fact based news visually representing stuff that's happening. This is what's happening.
Speaker 2: You see it, we all watch it.
Speaker 3: We saw it happen. So then how does it get to the point that we are still not trusted, or that my colleagues are not trusted. My husband still works there. He runs all of CNN's operations in war zones, so he was running CNN's operations in Israel and then Ukraine beforehand, and sometimes people would come to me and say, well, just tell us, really what's happening, And I'm like, turn on the television. It's not like we my husband and I know something that's not making it onto air. There's not another story that we're hiding. And you can have a few glasses of wine and we'll tell you the real story when you come to our house. But what's going on air is something different. And the word always comes around, particularly if you grew up in a place like South Africa, that's the word that you used to describe sinister groups of whoever. And that surprises me still as if to say, you know, really what's going on, and it's got worse and worse, and the self inflicted stuff is it because we took ourselves too seriously, that we lost the sense of storytelling perhaps and joy and fun. Sometimes news would be kind of a little bit more less produced.
Speaker 1: Might it be more simple that the most powerful man in the world has been consistently, over and over saying that you're the enemy of the people, and the person who's the richest man in the world, who owns one of the biggest Twitter and acts, the biggest places for media, is saying the same thing. I mean, if you're pumping out to people over and over that the media can't be trusted, people are going to start to believe it.
Speaker 3: And that's absolutely that's an excellent point. That's the basis from which we're starting.
Speaker 2: That makes excellent points rarely, but when he does, and I mean I saw that.
Speaker 1: Even a squirrel finds a blind that's an excellent point.
Speaker 3: Sorry, And that's and that's the basis. Yet, but then why is this also being replicated in some parts of the world where Trump is not president or is not constantly on air. This sort of distrust of officialdom is something I think that is, you know, whether it's the whether it's intelligence or agencies, or whether it's government, or whether it's bureaucracies, or whether it's media. There's something about the distrust that we've seen, probably fueled maybe solely by Donald Trump, but then while people still not believing in sort of basic truths, and I don't have the answer for that.
Speaker 2: It's the end of the interview. You're gone, you're done.
Speaker 3: You can't make up anything. You've spent a life telling stories, and you're not going to give us some BS explanation.
Speaker 1: Well, we have the we have the answer, but we'd rather not put it out.
Speaker 3: When we've stopped recording. You can tell me why, the real truth. You can tell me what you really think.
Speaker 2: So let's take a break. We'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask. So your podcast is excellent, and you're trying to explain America to the world, and you obviously have a long career and international news, and you have a background a lot of different places. As you do that, and you get feedback from people, what are the biggest questions or concerns or misunderstandings about what's happening in America? What is it you're trying to address.
Speaker 3: Coming I live in the South. I'm sitting here in Atlanta talking to you. So we're in the Deep South. And we're in a conservative neighborhood or liberal neighborhood, and one of my children plays sport. So we've driven a lot around Georgia into sort of those rural areas of Georgia that are Marjorie Taylor Green Territory and even further in. And I've sat on the sports fields next to very vociferous Maga Trump supporters, people who are very Christian and fulfill that stereotype of red neck ignorant and as Hillary Clinton would have said, deplorable. You know who are the people that voted for Trump? Well, it's these rednecks out here in Georgia. And you can kind of if you're not careful. And I think this was one of the mistakes, when I say South self inflected. One of the mistakes a lot of the media made, particularly with the run up to the first Trump election, was not listening to the anxieties coming from that chunk of America, the middle America or the lower middle class America, the white men, the non college educated people. It was sort of dismissed as sort of red neck deplorables who were being taken out, who were being fooled by this rich gold tapped a multi billionaire who was really just a really just bankruptost the time. But when I sat next to them on the sports field and you're in the middle of nowhere, and they're good people, their sons, their dads, their wives, their sons and daughters. They're the first people in a pouring rainstorm that would pull over and help you change a car tire. And so that's the disconnect that I'm trying to find, because I think if I do what I was doing when I was at CNN, which was trying to have this sort of high brow analysis with Washington folks or whatever. And yes, I have a master's degree from Cambridge and international relations. I can talk foreign policy for hours, But does that really help me to understand the instincts and the patterns and the anxieties and the hopes that American voters are really feeling. And that's what I'm trying to do, And I think being an outsider helps. So I kind of try to listen to them with compassion, and I've found that fascinating, where you walk into a place and you're like, I'm not going to try and judge them. I might not vote for them. I maybe don't believe in the same things, but I'm not going to other them, and particularly coming politically is a white South African. I understand that very clear political, very easy way of othering somebody and maybe you fearful of somebody else. And I think a lot of American leaders Trump in particular, but then towards the end also a lot of very left progressive Americans have made the same mistake and have othered, do you know what I mean? So I think that the sort of So that's the very long version of what I'm trying to do, so to try and look past why don't they believe in vaccines? I sat next to the field and I'm like, what's with the anti vaxin shit going on here?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: But I that's when I realized, oh, RFK has got a real chance, do you know what I mean? It's interesting, I'm curious, and so I think a lot of people and as you know, a lot of conspiracy theories are bred from a fear of the unknown, and if you play into that, whether on the left or the right, you can create fear and anxiety which then gets amplified unfortunately by news because it's good for ratings, and it creates this as I remember, John, I think you called it this angertainment industry, and that's unfortunately where maybe again one of these self inflicted aspects of mainstream media, which is really I hate the term, but is that the more we catered towards ratings, the more we amplified our own part in the division. And people have just got sick and tired of it, or they just like, I don't want to be scared and angry, or you're making me too scared. You're making me too angry today and there's a weird little calibration that goes on in people's brains, and yeah, that's where I am.
Speaker 2: So Robin is a South African, Australian, brit Americans.
Speaker 3: Exactly with Southern Children.
Speaker 2: Southern Children is America. Are Americans uniquely vulnerable to a conspiratorial mindset. And let me set this by saying, we've all lived in other parts of the world, and I've lived in Southern Africa. It's still one of my favorite places in the whole world. But aside from the Middle East, Southern Africa was completely full of wild conspiracy theories. And I remember foolishly thinking in the US, we don't at least have that we don't believe in, like secret military bases or witchcraft, or you know, because we have modern medicine we believe in. So you've lived around the world as well, and are we any different than anybody else now or were we?
Speaker 3: You know what an interests me. I actually stole one of your guests, Drew McCoy, because I'm fascinated by the American religiosity, and I think a lot of the conspiratorial stuff is amplified by the way Americans view the spiritual or the supernatural, and there's I don't know if it goes back to the Pilgrims. I don't know if it's in your DNA. I don't know what it is about Americans. But the Jesus stuff, the personification of Jesus as somebody who is walking with you, goes fishing with you, drinks a beer with you. Jesus is right there. That kind of personification of Jesus is very American. And it's not just evangelical, and it's not just Trumpian either. There's something baked in and obviously I'm in the South here, so I see it within my daily life, and so it's not just a Catholicism. I'm a very lapsed Catholic, but that sort of high Church stuff that I grew up with, where you talk about God as some sort of supernatural being and Heaven is something that is esoteric here in America. People believe you will go to Hell, and that plays into the politics in a way that I've not seen in any other nation. I think that if you talk about conspiracy theories, a lot of conspiracy theories here talk about the devil or the demon or Satan or you know, even with you know, even when Trump was shot, there was this meme going around and with the sort of a Jesus who looked like a white bearded Jesus sort of saving him as if he was his own personal, you know, secret service agent, sort of deflecting the bullet. And I found that interesting because I think if you believe that Hell and Heaven exists literally, and that Adam and Eve is a literal story, then I think it's a quicker leap to saying there's child trafficking and a pizza parlor in Washington, or all these CIA agents want babies, And so I think the American conspiracy stuff is somehow wrapped up in a very particular version of America's Americans idea of Hell and Earth and Jesus and the devil.
Speaker 1: That's take a break.
Speaker 4: A friend of mine when I was in Africa, and I don't want to be sued by the wrong African country, but I think it was Equatorial Guinea. In World War Two, an aircraft crashed in Equatorial Guinea and it had all these British soldiers on this, like thirty British dead. And Britain doesn't have an embassy in Equatorial Guinea, in Malabo and whatever the capital is, and so the American said, well, we will tend the war graves. So every couple of months the American embassy would send out and the ambassador and the deputy ambassador, the DCM would go out and they would tend to the war graves. And the number two in the embassy was kicked out of the country and accused of political witchcraft. It was like he got PNG, And I thought that could never happen in the United States. And now I hear Marjorie Taylor Green talking about demonic forces are behind the Democrats and Jesus is protecting one particular thing, and I think, note, we're not actually too much equatorial Guinea.
Speaker 1: We got to start using Jesus as a weapon, like we ought to just pretend that we're like that. No, no, no, no, you're wrong. I thought to Jesus and he said.
Speaker 2: I think Jesus was Cia Sours. Yeah, I have a specific question for you, so something I'm fascinated about it, and I'm not sure you can talk about it. But Anderson Cooper on CNN loved the guy.
Speaker 3: He was at the farm, yes, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going there. But he actually interviewed and talked to someone who believed in the Q ANDN theory who told him that he was going to go like they were going to send him to prison. And I'm not quite sure what there was this q Andon conspiracy theory. And do you have anything more on this? What when you confront a wacky conspiracy theory like head on like that? How did that go?
Speaker 1: I have not.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming he did the interview very well and probably didn't believe a word that he said. But what is interesting about Q and on and I was going to and it refers to the South African stuff, is that I think many people believe that Q is South African right got a guy, and they got a guy who's apparently a guy and who's whatever. But that doesn't surprise me because South Africans, as you know, whether white or black, have this extraordinary ability to believe all sorts of things that still kind of amazes me and infuriates me on many levels. So yes, being in America, I sometimes hear some of the stuff and I'm like, you can't make this stuff up. But then I think back to some of the stories I had to cover when I was in Africa, and You're like, yeah, no, there's been it's been crazier. That's why I can never quite put my finger on what it is that makes somebody, often highly intelligent people, sometimes in your own family, believe stuff that you think, yeah, no nah. But also the presidents, and I think the use of conspiracy theories in Africa by African leaders can be quite Trumpian or I think that sense of referencing forces out to get you, nefarious secret people who are trying to bring you down and stop you is a very African leader kind of way of dealing with power and keeping it and making sure that you are you keep people around you in check as well. Adam about you. Jerry used to all this over and over again, probably and mcgarbi was pretty good at it. Jacob Zumer constantly was bringing up threats. Even the current set of leaders in South Africa are constantly saying they're about to be poisoned or they were nearly poisoned. And I think that sort of sense of a leader constantly under attack is a very easy way out and it's very effective.
Speaker 2: Zuma said he took a shower so he couldn't get AIDS, right, Yes.
Speaker 3: And that's another one that I When stuff is happening in a country that you can't control, particularly as a leader, you then have to also blame some nefarious force. And with when I was there, Tarbon Berkey the president, there was the ade epidemic in those sort of early two thousands of people were dying a day, and Tarboon Berkey as a sort of intellectual. He thought of himself as an intellectual. He had a university education, so in many ways it wasn't coming from a place of sort of ignorance. And he did his own research and he came up with the concept that HIV did not cause AIDS, and then his cabinet around him started also being kind of fueling into that, and it became a yes man cabinet, Yes women, there were quite a few of them too, and so it became this sort of AIDS denialism. But right from the top that was sort of had a veneer of intellectualism around it, and you know, it was like, we have to question, we have to question everything. We also don't want the imperilous American Western pharmaceutic companies to take advantage of US Africans. Therefore, this is also an exercise in US standing up for our rights. So it was shrouded this whole conversation about what caused HIV AIDS, and hundreds of thousands died because of the denihalism around HIV and the slow roll out of antiretroviral drugs, but that played down. So the sort of the questioning of basic facts in order to support the leader's inability to control this massive death rate then played into all sorts of other conspiracy theories, which one of them was if you have sex with a virgin, you'll be cured of AIDS. And so South Africa has this incredibly high child rape rate and at first nobody could understand what was going on until it became evident that there was this rumor that HIV you could be cleaned you could be cleansed by somebody who was fresh. I suppose thirty forty percent of people believe that. But you know, how do you fight that and how do you then try and convince people that this isn't the truth when from the top it's been said, you've got a question that that you've got to look at alternative therapies was the line from from the top for many people who were ignorant about basic medical facts that then became justified. But what was so interesting about the sort of sleep with a virgin is that that trope actually started in sixteenth century England and it's a you know, it's an old Victorian trope about when people got syphilis, and it probably goes back also to sort these ideas of these Christian martyrs who would be would would be cleansing to a society because they would they would remove a society's access to the demons or devil or Satan or whatever. So the whole concept of that, you know, rape of virginary to be cleared of it goes back to some sort of Western idea. So I think a lot of these conspiracy theories, these tropes of power or of explanation that are behind the conspiration theories often quite similar in overlapping. You know, if it's not the aliens who are controlling us, maybe it's the Jews. You know, that's an old one, And so I think there's often an overlap and often culturally surprisingly close in ways that you wouldn't think.
Speaker 5: We'll be back next week with more of our conversation with Robin Kerno. Mission Implausible is produced by Adam Davidson, Jerry O'Shea, John Ceipher, and Jonathan Stern. The associate producer is Rachel Harner. Mission Implausible it's a production of honorable mention and abominable pictures for iHeart Podcasts.