Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal coll that for me, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 2: You want to be happy for Dake Edith State is that whoo whoom? And Dan and Tye welcome back to the solid verb of boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brandt, joining me as always over there in beautiful New York City. My man, the one and only Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty good, Ty, I am pretty good. I am pretty pumped as well to bookend the regular season, even though we're into February. Now, we've done this and it's been among our more contentious shows in the past. It has, actually, and for that reason, we have sort of assigned the grating and the evaluation to I think the soliverbal subreddit. But I am quite excited to not just review fantasy things, and I guess in a way review the season in our own way. This is our the most personal microscope we could peer into.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: But I'm also excited to in retrospect, almost like you see the Let's redraft, the two thousand and eight NFL Draft. I'm almost in retrospect. We're not going to redraft fantasy things, but look at the items that in retrospect should have been considered as multi million dollar plays. So the excitement level in me is up to the brim right now.
Speaker 2: Me as well. I went through these earlier today in preparation for the show, and I'm excited to walk back through them as well. Hello, how are you? I'm tie He's Dan again. This is the Solid Verbal College Football Podcast. You can find all of our work out on solidverbal dot com or through whatever podcasting app you are into. Just hit the subscribe button. We will be coming your way once a week, at least once a week, I should say, for the full duration of the college ball off season. As we get closer to the season, we'll start previewing teams, we'll start ramping up, but lord knows, we've got a long ways to go before we get there. In the meantime, we do fun stuff like this which we're going to talk through today, which is our Fantasy Things recap or our Fantasy Things retrospective, whatever you would like to call it. Yeah, here is the genesis of this. Now I realize we may have some new listeners who didn't have the benefit of going back and listening to our Fantasy Things shows. But for those people who might be new to the show, even within the last year, maybe they heard the Fantasy Things.
Speaker 1: First of all, how dare you cover us sooner?
Speaker 2: Yes? Continue, But if you are in that category, let's give the folks kind of a look back at how we got to this idea to begin with, because we used to do something else, right, Yeah, we used.
Speaker 1: To do the verbies after the season. That was fun for a good chunk of time, and then we've just sort of adjusted and taken on a new adventure of how to how we look back back and ahead of the season. And it's the Fantasy Things draft, And we just draft narratives or storylines or things that cliches, very repeatable items that we foresee happening for the whatever fifteen or so weeks of the regular season and after the season. In the past, we've said, okay, we'll grade at one through five or one through three for each item and add everything up and see who did a better job of drafting these items. And I got accused of bullying you, Yep, I got it.
Speaker 2: I got accused of being an aggressive beta male and that's not standing my ground against you.
Speaker 1: Look, a lot of smart people listen to this show. I'm not gonna say, I'm not going to name, but we we know the demographics. We have a lot of people who do quite well with UH in the field of intelligence. Field of intelligence. Yeah. Yeah, So we left it up to our Palpeter who runs the excellent soliverble dot reddit dot com, and the people on the subreddit to do their own grading. As the season went on. Okay, this thing happened, this thing happened, this thing didn't happen, and they tally it up at the end of the season and lo and behold, you did win. Now, I think there were some hanging chats.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to talk about this because I did make I did make a few notes, and of course, being so we host the show, perhaps we have the ability to overrule sure some of the results. I'm not saying I'm leaning that way, but I come into this with an open mind. So we're going to go through all of our picks. As Dan said, we used to do the verbies. We decided to move into this fantasy things realm. And the cool thing about the fantasy things is it actually lends itself very well to live audience. It's one of those things that we could take the road.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 2: We did it twice on the road in the same weekend, and it just it plays very well for a live crowd because it's fun and it's it's forward looking and gets people kind of in the mindset of college football. Also, it's not too inside baseball. So like if we do it again this year, which we most likely will, with fantasy things and some other select city, you can bring a friend or a loved one or a significant other whoever, even if they're not super duper into college football, and our point of view is that they'll still have a pretty good time. That's at least been the general feedback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we do a Q and A and a lot of times. There are chicken tenders available that you can eat with tie. You guys can dunk it and sort of a lady in the tramp style can offers that, and the most loyal over ballers. Yes, and we should if this is fully opening up the cone of honesty. Sometimes we put items in there that we think are just going to be very fun to talk about in one of a live audience. That we don't actually think are going to hit every week what we did this year. So it's the equivalent of doing it for the gram for doing it doing it for the fan.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely no. I mean, if you really want to peer into the cone of honesty. It was a heavy lift for us this year because we decided to do two live shows in one weekend, which is never something we had really even thought about doing. It just worked out that way. We knew we wanted to get to Texas, we knew we wanted to get to d C, and that was just sort of the way it worked out. I was panic stricken, to be honest, I was panic stricken. I was panic stricken because we made the decision that we were going to do two separate shows. It wasn't going to be like a comedy act where you do the same thing on two consecutive nights. We made the collective decision we were going to do two separate shows with two different sets of content. And I guess I wasn't panic stricken because I didn't think we could come up with the content. I knew we could do that, but it was just a lot. It was a lot to try and stuff into a forty eight hour stretch, and it took me a while to kind of take a deep breath. And I guess that nap before we went on in DC because we were both pretty cooked. But I think the DC Show and the Dallas Show both came out magnificently well. Our items here, which we're going to talk through momentarily, were awesome. And I guess the most important thing is we'll start this conversation from the point of Tie fifty three. Dan forty nine is your final score.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and by the way, if you had, if you drafted Tie and down talk about themselves for the first seven minutes of the show. Congratulations, your fantasy theme Fantasy Things team is thriving. And next year our Fantasy Things will just be other people drafting things they expect us to say during the season. It's very nigh. Tye is bullish on Kyle Hamilton and hates that he loves TCU. Huh yeah, points again, So let's start.
Speaker 2: Let's start with that. Let's start with our Dallas show. Yeah, great time, great time. Almo draft House a little bit outside Dallas but close enough.
Speaker 1: Heavy A and M contingent loved it.
Speaker 2: Heavy A and M contingent for sure. Here was my list of six selections in Dallas. Yeah, Urban Meyer coaching rumors teaching Mac Brown the Old Dog new Tricks, and I had that in quotes that you need to say both old Dog and new tricks. We needed to hear that on the broadcast in order for.
Speaker 1: I love that pick.
Speaker 2: The network cutting to storm Radar during a lightning delay.
Speaker 1: That was great. That was great rogue.
Speaker 2: Coaching hair which is always a favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not as robust this season, but still good.
Speaker 2: Broadcaster promo excitement. And the example that I cited was Doug Flutie and his seeming infatuation for the Manifest Show on NBC still on the air, allegedly I haven't seen it, okay. And then finally the Marching Band comes out to plays to Old Town Road.
Speaker 1: Just killer, just a killer. That was not only your pick, but that was your contribution, one of your contributions to the selection bank.
Speaker 2: And I believe you tried to talk me out of that one.
Speaker 1: It was really good. I was flat out wrong.
Speaker 2: You tried to talk me out of that one, Dan so or.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was it was game gamesmanship tie that I.
Speaker 2: Could have been could have been a little reverse psychology shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something like.
Speaker 2: That in Dallas for you, you had a player who's got a little bit of Baker Mayfield in him.
Speaker 1: I think this should have tripled every week. I think it's such a good submission. It's such it was such good on our part, sort of reading the landscape of how people talk about the twenty I guess nineteen season that even if it happened once a week, it should have counted. Quintupple, it was so good and so spot on. Let me shooting my own horn.
Speaker 2: Let me read through the other five. We'll start with the Baker Mayfield once. I have some stuff to say on that. But you also had sudden broadcast CATASTROPHEES, which is something goes wrong with the broadcast. Yeah, LSU has sleep pods. Marty Smith commits to a bit one pick before. You have broadcast talent promoting a non household brand, which also features Marty Smith in many respects.
Speaker 1: Marty Smith actually pops up in a number of these and it's I couldn't be more.
Speaker 2: Marty Smith tweeted about the LSU sleeppods too.
Speaker 1: The crossover, but it's Marty Smith is the crossover event. Unlike anything you've ever seen.
Speaker 2: And finally you had small school disrespected, and we'll talk about that one, but let's let's let's go back to the Baker Mayfield thing. So this was a real fun one for us because you know, you hear it all the time. There's always we did it on the show we did a week ago where we're trying to compare some of the incoming recruits to maybe their pro equivalents. And every now and again you have a guy who's got a very select skill set like Baker Mayfield. Let's say, you know, not just his ability to scramble around in the pocket and make throws, but plays with a little bit of an edge and a little bit of Baker Mayfield, and he's an underdog.
Speaker 1: There's an underdog mentality to him.
Speaker 2: Underdog mentallity. You always hear variations of this. Someone on the subreddit posted that Sean Clifford had a little bit of trace mcsorlely in him. That was a quote, like, you hear this kind of thing all the time, but specifically with regard to Baker Mayfield, this was something that happened a fair amount. You pulled some awesome examples in the show in Dallas. Other sport, cross sport, softball, players, politicians, you name it, people who had a little bit of Baker Mayfield in them. I have Brett Gabbert here as just a random mac example from Miami, Ohio, who was listed to have had a little bit of Maker, a little bit of I can't even say it, a little bit of Baker Mayfield in him. And this was not the most popular selection. It didn't get you the most points, but I think of all the ones we did, this was my favorite because it was something that it was easy for us to repeat week in and week out and just have fun with.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was also the idea of saying, comparing a player you're not familiar with to a player you know very well at that point because he had been a star for however many years, three years. There was something like almost Hollywood pitchy about it, where you're saying, Okay, this movie I'm pitching is Can't Hardly Wait meets Fast and the Furious, Like you're not sure exactly what that means, but you're familiar with sort of the body of work. So that really played well for us.
Speaker 2: Of the other ones here that are that are on your list, Yeah, the sudden broadcasting catastrophe actually happened a lot more than I expected.
Speaker 1: Of course it did.
Speaker 2: And the way the way that our good friend Peter chose to keep track of these over on the subreddit is he started a post every week and within the span of that week, if any of these items hit, and we'll go through the DC selections in a little bit, right, you would go out to the subreddit and you would make a post, you would create a citation, and then he added them up at the end. That's how he came to fifty three forty nine in favor of me. The most amazing thing is that every year we've done this, it's been ridiculously close. It's never like a blowout where you're killing me or it's always within a few points here and there. Right, sudden broadcast catastrophes happened a lot more than I thought. I did enjoy the thoughtful conversation out on the subreddit where folks were trying to figure out whether or not remember when the Sooner schooner crashed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 2: They were trying to figure out Yeah, nobody's heard it, thankfully. They were trying to figure out if the Sooner Schooner crash should have counted here as a sudden broadcast catastrophe.
Speaker 1: And I don't think it should. No, I can't think it do with the broadcast itself. Elsewhere we had small school disrespected. So what this meant was a player maybe only got an offer from Boise State, right, and they call that out as a bad thing on a broadcast.
Speaker 2: It happened here and there. It wasn't nearly as popular as some of the other ones. Lsd' sleeppods are not do you any favors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really didn't seem because LSU decided to go ahead and do something a lot more newsworthy than have sleep pods. In my excellent at college football, the two.
Speaker 2: Though that I had probably more fun with than everything else, other than a little bit of Baker Mayfield in him and some of my own picks. Marty Smith committing to the bit Wow is less of a fantasy thing and more of a guiding precept for humanity at.
Speaker 1: This point, explain yourself.
Speaker 2: He's just always committing to the bit.
Speaker 1: I could not agree more. He is unironically, this is genuine. He was probably one of my I don't know three or four favorite college football personalities.
Speaker 2: Just really seers into it, and by what I mean everything just goes for it and kind of on the heels of that. Then you also had the selection of talent broadcast talent promoting an on household brand, and Marty Smith is also featured in an Eckage sausage commercials. Obviously that Academy Sports and Outdoor commercial. There were a couple other brands I think that were nipping on the heels of Marty Smith. He was only part of that. I saw someone else on the subreddit posted that quote. Just saw Jesse Palmer in a commercial selling mattresses for rooms to go, So broadcasters trying to get theirs.
Speaker 1: Would you like to hear my impression of Jesse Palmer's agent responding to requests to appear as a spokesperson? Go ahead, sure, yeah, uh huh yeah yeah. When did we shoot? Oh yeah, uh huh, let's do it. That thus concludes my impression.
Speaker 2: In general, I'd say your Dallas selections were way stronger than your DC selections in terms of points. I think the heart and soul was there in DC, but the points didn't follow. On my side, though, Irbi Meyer coaching rumors were a thing all year mm hmm. It was a safe pick.
Speaker 1: I didn't love the pick. I mean it was very safe. It just there was no zaz to that pick.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair. I think I said that actually in Dallas when I made the pick. Yeah, I knew it went with the safe pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's your penny with vodka sauce pick.
Speaker 2: I did not once hear anyone refer to mac Brown as the old dog trying to learn new tricks. But that was one of those that fell into the category of being very funny to do, yeah, in front of a live audience, totally separate from the fact that it might not garner me any points.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, A lot of attention went to Sam Howell went to the fact that mac Brown hired what looks to be a pretty good staff and has recruited pretty well. But yeah, it didn't quite fit with the season.
Speaker 2: Roague coaching here didn't go much of anywhere either.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, the Gundy mullet has been around now for a few years, so that's not crazy anymore. And Dana Holgerson his hair tends to like do the weird thorny crown situation and high winds. But Houston was off the radar enough that you know, people weren't too focused on it.
Speaker 2: But here's where I made my hay okay broadcaster promotional excitement. So this, I think falls into the same category as your selection of sudden broadcast catastrophes actually happened to Fairmount. And again, the genesis of this was Doug Flutie two years ago on the Notre Dame NBC broadcasts, just getting really into these promo spots that they'd have to do for this show called Manifest. I've never seen Manifest. Apparently Manifest is a fun show. I don't know it got season two. I don't know if it's been renewed for season three, don't really care. Flutie really got into it. What we saw happening this year from a broadcasting standpoint is, first off, other announcers getting excited about various network shows, be it NFL Primetime or something similar, or in the Fox case, announcers getting a little too into that WWE contract that they signed. That was not something that I really had on my when I made the selection, but given their new affiliation with WWE, there was a lot of excitement, a lot of excitement about that partnership and I think that was the reason that I got most of these points.
Speaker 1: One of the things I did notice because we were talking about, was an AMSHL manifest manifest Yeah, when I largely just watch football, some NBA and random shows that I hear are good and be it on HBO or Netflix, Prestige Television tie.
Speaker 2: Sure, so I lost track.
Speaker 1: I don't know what people watch, what people don't watch, what new shows are on, what shows are no longer on. Do you know what the number one non sports network TV show was of the twenty eighteen twenty nineteen season.
Speaker 2: Was nonsports network show?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So CBSABC, Fox, NBC, CW. That's what it's called. Now, is it a CSI, It's not a CSI.
Speaker 2: Is it on CBS?
Speaker 1: It is not on CBS. There are two shows that are tied. One is on NBC, one is on Fox.
Speaker 2: The Voice. No, okay, then I'm out. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're out. So the Fox show is the Masked Singer.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's what they were promoting during the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: The number one TV show Okay and This is Us on NBC.
Speaker 2: Okay, good show, both of which.
Speaker 1: Had a three point eight rating. I don't know if that's yeah, it's eighteen to forty nine. So yeah, Doug Flutie is more Keton than we are, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's fair.
Speaker 1: Manifest in the top ten. Really, no, Manifest. Well, no, it's actually higher than that because if you remove Sunday Night Football, Thursday Night football, Monday Night football, it's number My mass is seven. Oh my good lord, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you told me this because I was inclined to put Manifest in the bones category.
Speaker 1: Flute bump, total flute bump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know where I stand on bones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody watches it, but then it turns out everybody watches it, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, a lot of excitement over WB So that was one The network cutting the storm radar during a delay was actually not my submission into our larger pool of possible fantasy things. I think that was yours.
Speaker 1: And I was really bummed because we had a picture of Chris Cotter, who does a good job for ESPN, and it turns out he was he calling ACCT network. Yeah, and it was was it a Matt Berry studio radar And I'm talking, not talking Matthew, Matt Matt b E R R I E.
Speaker 2: He was doing studio stuff, so assuming at some point he had to do a couple of radar hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think he was the one hosting the like halftime shows on a random seven thirty ESPN game, right right, I think so? So Yeah, I think it was Matt Berry doing that. Was a bummer because I think Chris Cotter did just bang up job talking about about forty five minutes an hour. We'll see.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you. The best thing ever is Mike Turico reading the radar because.
Speaker 1: He put in the legwork.
Speaker 2: He puts in the leg work and seemingly has some meteorological knowledge. I love that he's talking about cells and updrafts and all sorts of weird weather stuff. But I didn't catch enough of that from Tarico this year. But this radar thing, especially in the early part of the season, happened a lot, happened a lot. I was able to snag that pick, which I was excited about, and then the other one in Dallas that frankly got me most of my points was Bands playing old Town Road. It's Killer Killer. I threw this one in there just as kind of like a cultural thing to prove that I'm among the people out there with the people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see you.
Speaker 2: This did unbelievably well. We were getting tweets each and every week about Old Town Road being played at some stadium by a band at halftime or after the third quarter or what have you. And yeah, so this one has sort of made it all worthwhile, just as kind of a throwaway pick. At the end of our first show in Dallas.
Speaker 1: It was great, It was great, And then what do I have? So that's okay, So you have old Town Road? That was me?
Speaker 2: Or you that was me? I had Old Town Road.
Speaker 1: You had Old Town Road in Dallas. Damn, that's a good pick. Okay.
Speaker 2: Next, So after that, we hopped on the bird early early the next day, early on a Sunday morning, and flew over to DC.
Speaker 1: Marylaz X is going to have another hit? Not on that level? Do you think it was too big? Like? Is it almost like a Macha arena who let the dogs out? Where It's just too much of a hook and it captured America in too aggressive a way to follow it up with anything.
Speaker 2: Well, see, so here's the thing. I was always inclined to say yes and then I watched the Grammys and I believe his album was nominated for Album of the Year.
Speaker 1: The full album. Yeah, oh okay, but did he have any other hits that got I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I need to really like dig deep on this one. Yeah, but old Town Road is obviously the headliner played a lot in stadiums. Made me a lot of hay here in terms of points. So we hopped on the jet, flew over to DC. Did our show at Union Stage. Great show, fun show, awesome crowd, cool venue.
Speaker 1: We took those B twelve shots beforehand, ye, make sure we had the energy to go.
Speaker 2: I got deathly sick the day after. So here are our selections in DC. I'll start with you. Let's go through these one by one. Okay, Manny Diaz bringing the Swag back to Miami was your first pick in DC.
Speaker 1: It's a good preseason pick. I stand by it as a preseason pick, but it gambled a lot on Miami being good and him actually bringing that swag back and TBD ed Reid is now eployee of the Miami Hurricanes. I saw that chief of staff or something, head of player personnel, something along those lines. I we'll see it again, probably, but it's going to be more like it doesn't have that much time to bring the swag back.
Speaker 2: My favorite understated part of both of our live shows when we did these fantasy things was the graphics that we had for this one, because we went through and it was it Bruce's Twitter feed that we found like old Bruce tweets of oh.
Speaker 1: It's across the board.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of different people but Okay, I know Bruce has done it and he's not alone, but people who had written articles posted tweets about I've had a lot of somebody bringing swag back to Miami.
Speaker 1: It was like Bleacher Report this, SI that, ESPN this, and it was just like Al Golden bringing the swag back, Mark Richt bringing the swag back, Randy Shannon bringing the swag back. And this is just the latest latest episode.
Speaker 2: We also have crotchety transfer portal takes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this one, I mean justin Fuente just said that they're not going to bring back players like. This is obviously after the regular season, so there have been some takes postseason. During the transfer portal time. I misevaluated the timing thinking that there was going to be more action. I mean, I guess there was in the first four weeks or so, but yeah, I did not do I didn't think it through. So there have been takes after the fact. But this actually hit probably hit better with coaches, and this may have been a previous year's selection coaches not being able to talk about technology or social media in sort of a clowny way, like Pat Fitzgerald saying my email address is like I don't care at Twitter dot com or whatever. He said it was great. I'm sure we got forty tweets. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: You also had team has lost on loop all off season in the weight room. This one did not get points as far as I could tell, not a lot of points anyway, right, another one of my favorites here. Usually it's something you hear an awful lot of and it was a hell of a lot of fun to do live, so at least from that aspect, it was successful, just not so much in terms of points.
Speaker 1: It happened. I think, I'm sure the team did play it a loss from the previous.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure, we just need the announcers to talk about it.
Speaker 1: That's the problem. The next one I thought was going to do well too, and I don't think it did all that.
Speaker 2: Well an unusual major. So the backstory on this one is that it actually hit the cutting room floor from the live show we had done the previous year in Chicago. We had unusual Major on that list. It didn't make it into the final cut, and we immediately threw it up on our list for twenty nineteen. It was one of the first ones we picked. I feel like we signed it right away. We both liked that it's a ton of fun. We talked about the at School of Puppeteering puppetree whatever it's called. Now, got to talk about some fun stuff in that regard. But again, no points.
Speaker 1: But who's to say. Maybe every broadcast there was a key Yukon linebacker who was a four point zero puppetry student. But who's watching Yukon games. Who's verifying that for us? We do cast a wide net here, Dan, that's true. Okay.
Speaker 2: We have also a certain coach bringing an SEC mentality to a non SEC school. So this is a pretty close cousin of the defensive coordinator bringing the attacking, more aggressive mentality to his new defense. Yeah, this was just SEC mentality, which no one really knows what that means to a non sec school.
Speaker 1: Large dudes, perhaps over aggression on the recruiting trail. I sensed it a lot with Oregon, but I paid a lot of close attention to Oregon. I know this was also a melt Tucker type pick at Colorado. Him coming over from Georgia, I thought would play a role. I think it probably did well. It probably did better than I was given credit for.
Speaker 2: You think, yes, okay, so this would be one of your points of contention here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And then the last one that you got is actually the one that I think did the best from a points standpoint, And it was another one of these throwaway picks that we included at the end. I think I might have thrown this one in our player pool. Less Miles has a ring, yeah, or less Miles has a ring, you know. And the origin here, of course was less Miles hired by Kansas. Made a bit of a production out of this to get less Miles again. He's got the ring, He's coming to Kansas. No one really was sure how to feel about that, but we were confident that on many a broadcast we'd be hearing about Less Miles ring Kansas might stink, but less Miles still has the ring. It gives announcer something to talk about, and they talked about it an awful lot. It was the subject of an Athleck trivia question at one point.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: This was definitely a popular topic to discuss with regard to Kansas in Less Miles.
Speaker 1: Oh, terrific. I'm glad to hear it. I was very proud of that selection.
Speaker 2: Now on my side, here we go. I also feel like I had a bit of a down spell in DC. Okay, my biggest one was tiny field demonstrations. So this is how on every broadcast, at least the pregame the major pregame broadcasts, they decide to construct a field that somebody can go out there and show you how to run the plays like the Boys do. Yeah, but it's always way too small and guys are you know? Rob Stone is supposed to be the nose tackle and it's just like it doesn't really work the way it's supposed to. It's for demonstration purposes, only tiny field demos we threw out there. It was fitting for me because I also had the Urban Meyer coaching rumors from Dallas, and because of urban Meyer's participation on the Fox Show. He took part in many a tiny field demo. He did, so if you went heavy on Marty Smith, inadvertently I went heavy on Urban Meyer.
Speaker 1: But yeah, my way is a lot more fun.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Tiny field demos was probably my best selection in that DC show.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know if it was counted. I have not gone granular and looked. But they went on the road some and I think at least one week they did a demo on the full field at Ohio Stadium.
Speaker 2: Oh really.
Speaker 1: They were like talking about Ohio State twists or something that the defensive line does, and they were showing it on the actual field. They used the regulation field as a tiny field. I don't know if that was counted. I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: If it was, I don't feel that should No, no, no, I don't think it should.
Speaker 1: Really. I mean, they are they are not lining up with the appropriate.
Speaker 2: Splits, but it wasn't a tiny field.
Speaker 1: I guess it was not.
Speaker 2: That's a big field, Dan.
Speaker 1: It was not a diagram specific.
Speaker 2: Field, So we'll have to check the tapes on that one.
Speaker 1: By the way, something I also did like about the tiny field thing. Everybody at the desk it was largely Fox. Maybe there was some ESPN tiny fieldedge, but this is what Fox really leaned into. They would sit at the desk, Reggie Bush, Matt Lioner, Robstone. Who am I forgetting Urban Meyer?
Speaker 2: Urban Meyer?
Speaker 1: Was it just the four of them? Oh, Brady Quinn, Brady Quinn. So they'd sit at the desk. They're wearing their suits, they're put together really nicely. They go out to the tiny field. It's like, all right, jackets off. Fellas couldn't keep the jackets on, to just take a step in one direction. I was like, all right, we're rolling up our sleeves for this tiny field. Okay. Continue.
Speaker 2: I also had Trevor Lawrence draft stock. I didn't hear this mentioned once.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was a rough start to the season for him, at least perception wise.
Speaker 2: Perception wise, Trevor Lawrence is going to have a very high draft stock. I'm still very confident of that. I don't care that they didn't win the National championship, but I I was all in on this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My strategy was to go safe with my selections because, believe it or not, we've been doing this for three or four years now. I had yet to actually win a Fantasy Things cycle. So I was trying to go with what I what I thought was going to be safe. Trevor Lawrence's draft stock, especially on the heels of what he did as a freshman. You're thinking, Wow, people are gonna be talking. Should he sit out? Could he be the first overall pick? Now didn't hear it mentioned once and didn't see it mentioned at all in the subreddit, So that was a whiff on on my part.
Speaker 1: You essentially you walked into the Fantasy Things creamery and announced to everybody, sorbebe please.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: You went real, real simple.
Speaker 2: Okay, speaking of creamery, let's go to the Penn State item here. Okay, Now, late game James Franklin is a thing. It is very much a thing. I don't know if it was as much a thing this year. I don't think I got as many points from this as I expected.
Speaker 1: Where where does late game James apply this season? So it was the Minnesota game was a disaster in the first half and they crawled their way back and throw a late pick to lose. I don't think that.
Speaker 2: Was the Michigan game. The Michigan game was a good example. Threatened, Yeah, it was a good example of management.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the what the Ohio State game? They make sort of close thanks to turnovers, but nobody's looking at that game and like, why couldn't was it will Levis?
Speaker 2: Will Levis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody was thinking like, oh man, James Franklin, totally let will Levis down here. I think will Levis threw and oh yeas didn't throw more passes, but it was that was a nightmare of a game offensively for Penn State.
Speaker 2: Late game James Franklin not as not as successful as I thought.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Postgame handshake tension a fun one to talk about. Actually did happen very early between Michigan State and Arizona State. Mark dan Antonio and herm kind of had an icy reception at midfield, but beyond that, not not a not a big earner for me.
Speaker 1: No, not an every weeker.
Speaker 2: Midfield logo desecration another exciting one to discuss, but not something that really happened. We've seen very notable examples of this happen in the past, but this year not so much. This was kind of a non issue.
Speaker 1: I think with picks like this, there should be certain picks that we mark as if this happens once, that counts as like six points because we know it's not gonna happen every week, so if it does, it's just like a hot spot, an NBA jam, one of those types of situations where we have to note a hotspot pick because if we did get who was a Devin Bush for Michigan before the Michigan State game right right, sort of running his cleats through the field in East Lansing, if we have a situation like that, or planting the flag like Baker Mayfield, that's got to count for you know, the sonic rings have to fly out of the sky for that pick. That's what I'm saying right now. Because we're going to go to the owner's meetings, the solibribal owners meetings, and we're gonna go to the rules committe. We're going to make some adjustments in the spring.
Speaker 2: I'm fine, so fine.
Speaker 1: That's That's something I am submitting that there is a wild card pick that we know won't hit every week or even three times during the season. But if we predict something that's kind of out there and it happens, the sonic rings happen.
Speaker 2: Maybe at the live show, we give everyone a couple of cards to hold up and they could tell us, they could tell us odds on some of these.
Speaker 1: Sure, I don't know, Okay.
Speaker 2: The one that actually got a fair amount of traction here outside of tiny field demos was Mike Locksley knowing the DMV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that did pretty well for me.
Speaker 2: Multiple bride was mine. Dog.
Speaker 1: No, Sorry, I did that. I think I came up with that right right, right right, but that did Sorry, that did pretty well for the draft, correct.
Speaker 2: Mike Locksley knowing the DMV being in that area quoted as multiple times, almost verbatim, knowing the area, knowing the DMV, obviously he was able to pull in a pretty big recruit from the area recruiting otherwise, Eh, we'll get back Jim Jerry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what this was actually, and it's probably unintentional on your part now that I think about it, because we made this pick in the DMV, we made it in DC. You made the pick, and it's a strong pick because that is, you know, one of the first things, not the first thing. Maybe you have Mike Loxley's history, but it was. It's a really smart pick because strategically, there are teams that play games in which announcers have to stretch, they have to find things to talk about and Maryland and I don't have every score in front of me about, you know, every twenty nineteen score in front of me, but I imagine there were a lot of fourth quarters where people were talking about fun unusual majors or backgrounds, or his dad played at this school. There was a lot of fun fact games for Maryland this season.
Speaker 2: Well, no further than the first two games of the year, right, Well, that was to talk about something all that downtime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that was scary if you were banking on that element of Maryland season. But it's a smart pick if we're going to look next year. I mean Arizona would be if you can find some fantasy thing about Kevin someone, I think it's a good year to do that. Yeah, look at some of those teams. That's a sneaky like a month like fantasy things moneyball for you.
Speaker 2: So that's actually a perfect segue into our quasi redraft here, items that maybe became apparent to us after kickoff, things that we weren't able to sneak in under the radar of our two shows or supplemental draft. Sure fifty three to forty nine was the final. We can go back and check tape if you want. We are planning on doing more fantasy things at some point this fall late summer. We'll get back to you on timing and topics and any rules changes that the verbollerhood might find notable. That being said, if you had to do it over again, knowing what you know now, what are some items that you might consider drafting?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I did look it up while you were talking about something. There have been no actual college football games since the year two thousand that ended fifty three to forty nine. Okay, but there have been seven that have been fifty two to forty nine. Both of our alma maters have lost a game fifty two to forty nine, and one school has won two games fifty two to forty nine since two thousand. You're not going to guess which school it is. The California Golden Bears have won two separate games fifty two to forty nine, once against Virginia Tech in two thousand and three, once against Oregon Justin Herbert's freshman year fifty to forty nine at Cal and USC beat Penn State fifty two to forty nine in the Rose Bowl turn hack out. Okay, two thousand and seventeen if my math is correct, So there's that. Okay, supplemental draft.
Speaker 2: Supplemental draft, give me a couple, Okay. Joe Brady's age pretty good. Joe Brady is thirty.
Speaker 1: I guess he was. He twenty nine to start the season. I think it was a September birthday. Joe Brady is thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that would have been really good. You know, this coming year we're going to have some issues trying to figure out which coaches are the next Joe Brady. Yeah, that's the twenty twenty fantasy things I do, right, That.
Speaker 1: Joe Brady like effect on the Blavity Blaso.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, We're gonna have to workshop that one a little bit. But that feels like it's almost too easy to not include Florida state clock issues. Would have been a good pick. Would have been a good pick.
Speaker 1: Dylan Gabriel broke to U's Hawaii high school record. Wow, every week pretty much from the UCF games that I saw, even just small portions they worked it in there. Chase Young pre snap arrow or spotlight, Oh wow. I think he would have done well with that. Yeah, any sort of illusion or shot of Bud Foster's lunch pail. What are they gonna do with this?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know if you're gonna see this on the sideline of Virginia Tech much longer. That's gonna make it in there. Houston expects Dearic King to return. It's part of a Dana Holgerson master plan. About that, About that, I have another year, another heisman for a Lincoln Riley quarterback that did really well. Maybe not all season long, but early on as Jalen Hurts was putting up number.
Speaker 2: Early on, it felt that way, didn't it. Yeah, early on he was the front runner.
Speaker 1: I have down here, don't forget less Miles won a national championship, not remembering that. What's an actual effect? They did well? This one did really well for us because of how big two was and Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, JK. Dobbins, A lot of these guys put up huge numbers this year. And here's the fantasy thing quote and they didn't even play most fourth quarters that would have really hit well for you, That would have hit well again, because you're we're killing time and blowouts we're killing time. This one I think probably would have done well some A quarterback who is eight and I know this is going to mean a lot to you. A quarterback who is a clear game manager, is quote more than just a game a game manager, more than just a game manager. We might just have to bring wherever we go in.
Speaker 2: August, the old Jack Cone effect.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, the Cone Zone I have. Bo Nicks was at the twenty ten Auburn National Championship game and is an Auburn legacy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would have done really well.
Speaker 1: Killer killer pick. Should have done my research there. Texas A and M loses really close. It loses impressively. Two years ago it was Clemson. It's not paying off every week. This is one of those sonic rings pick. This year it was who Georgia thirteen? Okay, so that's the sonic rings pick. Mike Leech says or tweets something that initially seems quirky and then it's just kind of a bummer. That's just kind of a bummer that I think five seven times, yeah, over the course of the season. Yeah, I have. What else I did I have? Is that everything I have when.
Speaker 2: I have overly emphatic Jake From interviews.
Speaker 1: Oh this is good. This is really subjective though, because this is almost like the Ryan Tannehill effect.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, too polished. No, it's not even too polished. Yeah, it's just too emphatic, too excited, right, very excited to do all those postgame interviews.
Speaker 1: And again, like Jake from is running for president of the Georgia offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like a little bit of that, but more like it had more of like a frack guy feel too. He's just very, very excited to have won the game. And I don't I don't begrudge him for being excited. Georgia had a hell of a season, but it's just after the first five times, it's a little much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little much.
Speaker 2: So the postgame interviews for Jake from.
Speaker 1: You could say that about Georgia third downs too, you could the first five Yeah, a little much.
Speaker 2: Kind of along the same lines as Old Town Road could have done. Bands playing Star Wars music. I feel like I missed that one, given that Star Wars came out around Christmas time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's always there's there's going to be an element of we need to play something that everybody knows, right, right, and doing an Imperial march doing Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the reason And I actually thought about doing this one before the year, and I didn't, And I think the reason why is because they've always played the Star Wars music, right.
Speaker 1: It was nothing terribly unique to the twenty nineteen season.
Speaker 2: What about Dabo Sweeney inventing a motivational device? Did we talk about that one at all?
Speaker 1: So there's the the rest of y'all bus right, and he did bring your own guts, so it's almost dabbo acronym dabenim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like his own vernacular in a sense, right, And every coach does this. Sure, it just so happens that Clemson is crazy successful and like this year somehow kind of pigeonholed his way into spinning them as like an underdog ish right, at least internally, I don't know if we really believe that, but Dabbo using a motivational device seems like it's the kind of thing that is now repeatable from year to year and maybe something we should have our radars up for next year.
Speaker 1: Do you have any historical ones that you wish we could just use every year? I have, Well, so the two I have are very similar. They're kissing cousins if you're allowed to say that. Still, it's the defensive coordinator attacking aggressive mentality. Now that's a January one. That's a spring football one that's not going to hit a lot ever, if not ever, But that that to me feels quintessential fantasy things and similar. The strength coach comes in and it's like, I don't even know what they're doing around here. I don't even know. I don't know what the last guy was doing. But we're we're taking this up to the modern era. You know, guys are puken here. It's like they've never worked out that one. I just I love it so much.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think back to some of our old legacy ones that have been have been among my favorites. We had some in Chicago. Mm hmm that kind of on second thought just slayed me. The Dean one, Oh yeah, is he the XFL stuff?
Speaker 1: I think he is the head of officiating for the XFL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one that it is one of my favorites. Also backup being better than the starter is like bronze in the Hall of Fame here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dean Blandino. It's such a funny name to even say out loud.
Speaker 2: Oh, the overly emphatic tongue of II looa.
Speaker 1: So really, in fact, we've got the strength coach with the screwwers. There's been a lot of really good ones. All I'm going to say is if you have more to add in terms of supplemental now looking back though Fantasy Things items along the lines of Dabo acronyms or Joe Brady's age, which I think is the clear winner. Yeah, Soliverble do reddit dot com. Drop it in there, soliverble dot reddit dot com. You can also hit us up out there on social media. We're on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, all the usual hotspots. You can also email soliverable at gmail dot com. As I said, we're going to be doing and believe it or not, we are actually in the infancy of planning out when we're going to be doing our live Fantasy Things show or shows this coming year. So, as Dan said, I don't know if we've actually set a side time for when the rules committee will meet to discuss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these rules for the twenty twenty version. But if you have any suggestions out there, please do give us a holler again out on the sub give us an email, drop us a tweet, whatever works for you, Solid verbal at gmail dot com, whatever works for you, let us know what we can do, maybe to I don't know, keep things fresh.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of there being a solidverbal hot stove. I like like Peter Gammons is outside your mom's house looking for a scoop. It's great. Does Peter Gammon still report? I don't know if it's much okay in any case, Ty, the solid Verbals Fantasy Things draft is to us and to this show the preseason, So thank you very much for everybody for humoring us. And it really doesn't feel like the proper bo is on the season until we go back and reevaluate everything. And I put together a little it's almost like our version of what the NC DOUBLEA Tournament, what CBS does at the NC DOUBLEA Tournament. What's the song one shining moments, one shining moment? And so I don't I'm not singing, but I put I put together a little edit of some moments we love during the regular season with some reactions. Ty.
Speaker 2: Just when I think you couldn't possibly do it, vicious back, cruse it down field, you go and do something like this.
Speaker 1: I am totally revein yourself.
Speaker 2: But first, what the girls do is thirty long a few moments last.
Speaker 3: Hound you this is twenty nineteen, LSU.
Speaker 2: This is Joe Burrow. Well let's see one second Eggers today.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, Virginia rushing afield.
Speaker 2: Bro Jonathan Taylor roll it touched down Wisconsin seventy two yards, sleep some ruins down, bag on the road and they come all the way back. What the wrong with your people? Sixty seven to sixty three? And it was everything that I thought it could be. How springing out gets hit? He does again mischief.
Speaker 1: The Tigers remained in front with a minute seventeen ago. Carolina's out of timeouts, rolling sens and purposes.
Speaker 2: This baby's over, just some fight and Michael p. Ryan tight ropes to sideline. He's gonna take it. Predicator touchdown eighty eight yards. Hey, hey, there you are.
Speaker 1: I've been looking for you.
Speaker 2: He called it unbelievable south Town.
Speaker 3: That, just so you will know, is the night the lights went out in Georgia.
Speaker 2: They're holding their record champagne. Oh my god, that is the first time Wisconsin trails all year. Here is as that kick.
Speaker 1: Goes through the uprights to give him an oil the biggest upset merchant ship.
Speaker 2: It squeezes play looks after it.
Speaker 1: It's loose, its lhada habit.
Speaker 2: It looks like the settlers to the.
Speaker 1: Covered o the after review the ball was illegally touched land a.
Speaker 2: In for Kansas State. As they take down of the thigh. The humans have tried everything.
Speaker 3: Now it's up to us dog kick Florida playoffs deep.
Speaker 2: He's gonna get down on the sideline, ride open Larrence Cager touchdown will now and it's a killer at a loss for Florida. Jubilation on the bolt off sideline.
Speaker 3: They throw the fame the cold then selled limbs Taylor.
Speaker 2: Who means unbeat.
Speaker 1: They come into fort Worth and get the winds can do fliffer hass.
Speaker 2: Time flows. Then it is batter set down there the ansong by John and Honor.
Speaker 1: They rode the boat and it's for real here baby, do you Baalor is faring on against.
Speaker 2: Abut Hell's Native.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one as there are.
Speaker 2: Seven given a second chance. Banino mas fifth a take on the bad things. They're gonna see him a massive pump back victory.
Speaker 3: For football oh baba fields pump fake. Let's say, Fi touchsdown cruising a bay. They defeat Fast twenty eight to seventeen. Oh Brusson kicks on away and right, that's not good.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I hate to see that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've ever seen a game ended with too many event on the field and he's.
Speaker 2: Too and there's a touchdown. No, there's a before and they one away book time the game holds down.
Speaker 1: The kick on the words, it's.
Speaker 2: You guys win their foot straight against the Oscars. It's one of they're proud, it's tradition. We're teleprat for I don't know, the.
Speaker 1: Championship before.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that's funny. Oh that's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, that was pretty.
Speaker 1: Good Dan, thank you. I scored it myself. But I tried to find moments that were surprising and help to define the twenty nineteen season. And it was a fun look back. And I gotta tell you there are some weird clips in there. There are some like I was going through like I was going I was scrubbing through one hundred and one Dalmatians audio for longer than you'd like to know. Caddy Shack Simpsons of course, dumb and dummer. So there's some there's some things. If everybody can get every clip in there, I'd be insanely impressed.
Speaker 2: Okay, if anybody can get every clip in there, soliverblegmail dot com, we'll send you a shirt.
Speaker 1: It's it's basically, we'll send you a shirt. We'll send you a shirt. It's it's one shining moment meets maybe girl talk. If I'm remixing season audio, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know first person to write in with every clip. That means Dan, you need to validate it. But yes, right a soliverlegmail dot com. That's all I got, Dan, that's my audio. Bo all, I have beautiful Well, thank you for that, and thank you to everyone for downloading the show for bearing with us. We will include as part of this show links back to each of the Fantasy Things shows that we did. I think we lump them all together into one long show. Oh nice, but yeah, if you want to hear what our selections were. If you're just tuning in later and didn't get a chance to catch that initial show, we'll link you up so you can check out where this all started. And then, obviously, as per usual, please write in let us know your thoughts Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, soliverblegmail dot com, go on soliverable dot reddit dot com as well. It's all I got Dan, same same alrighty well, thank you to one and all for downloading, for listening. Don't forget to subscribe if you haven't already. We will be back next week, same time, same place. Enjoy the rest of your week, all of your weekend, and hey, in the meantime, stay solid, peace,