Speaker 1: All of us have mouth a gape, right man, I feel like I'm being You have to understand, have known it for so long and then to hear this stuff coming out like, oh this whole time, you're just crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tosh Tosh Show to show.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Tosh Show. I'm your host, Daniel Tosh. Today's episode is a little different. You'll notice that there's someone sitting next to me right now. I'll introduce her in a second. Okay, Eddie, you're here. Good, thank you for coming on such short notice. This is not an emergency pod. Okay, what we're doing today does not classify as an emergency. This is Samkay.
Speaker 2: You can talk Sam. Jesus, she's got a gift, Sam. Sam.
Speaker 1: Sam used to write on Tosh point oh back in the day. She you know now she writes all kinds, you know, the films, a lot of what. I don't know what she does, but it's uh, you know. She is married to Pete. She's been in our lives for she's been on tour of me, she's performed on.
Speaker 2: Tour with me. I mean just we got a lot of history.
Speaker 1: The goat she was, she was on the goat even though she doesn't get a credit on The Goat because she was the only one smart enough to say, I will do this gig and get paid handsomely, but do not give me a credit on this show. First, I think it's because you weren't It was during a strike, and you probably weren't supposed to be working during.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I feel like it was definitely during a strike.
Speaker 3: Leave my name off that one. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Well, look who regrets that now Goat merchandise. Yeah, I shouldn't have bought so much. I got stock files and got anyway, the point is I've known Sam for a long time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You ever know somebody for a long time, then you find something out about them, like like like we just found out Pete's Jewish.
Speaker 2: Blew our minds.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: All of us freaked out. Sure, I'll tell you an example. That's not an example. We've always known Pete was Jewish. The only person that doesn't know Pete's Jewish is Pete. Pete's the one that's just so Why is he ashamed of it?
Speaker 3: That's a longer episode, all right.
Speaker 1: By the way, Sam is going to be a guest on this show. This is not her episode.
Speaker 2: This is not count this, this has nothing to do with it.
Speaker 1: This is just she told us something. We all had so many questions. I stopped listening because I was like, oh, no, no, I we have to do this on air.
Speaker 2: This is this is bonkers.
Speaker 1: The only thing I can relate it to is one time I dated a girl for a year and a half and then I found out she could play the violin. Weird, and I was like, are you what she never told it was bonkers. I couldn't believe it to a spy. That's what we said, right ed.
Speaker 2: Well, she also could speak a language she could speak.
Speaker 4: Check should ask more questions, your ladies, if you can play a violin and you're having sex with somebody, you're going to let them know eventually.
Speaker 2: That's on you.
Speaker 1: She didn't have a violin. It's not like I listened to violin music and you guys.
Speaker 3: Know I know how to play the violin.
Speaker 2: You know you don't do yes.
Speaker 3: That would come up. That definitely want to come up.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: Sam sees time differently than I thought every human on the planet. I don't know how else more to set it up, but like if I say, oh, today is Saturday. I don't even get you know, an example that then next is Sunday. But Sam sees it in a way that makes no sense. I go ahead, she give me some ideas.
Speaker 5: Okay, apparently I have something called time space synesthesia synesthesia.
Speaker 2: This is a real thing that she looked up.
Speaker 5: After right, So, in fact, I only found this out with in the last like five years, which is pretty embarrassing. But I was with my husband Pete, and at some point I just said to him, like, isn't it so interesting how in school they never talk to you about, like we never learn about like how everybody sees like the months or the days of the week. I'm like, yeah, because people maybe see them differently. And Pete was like what and get And then I was like, well, you know.
Speaker 2: Like he was already married.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were married already, so he could not he could not back out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so he's like what.
Speaker 5: And then I'm like, well, okay, you know, for me, like the months, September's at the top and March is at the bottom, and then like days of the week are.
Speaker 3: Kind of shaped like a capital D.
Speaker 5: And I was like, is that how you see the days of the week or do you see them differently.
Speaker 2: I am so again lost. Okay, what's at the top seven months?
Speaker 5: Okay, So when you visualize time, which is a thing that time space synesthesia does, is that I see like if you take the year as a calendar, I.
Speaker 1: You don't just look at a calendar like the first one's January and then the next one is February.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: I think when I think about the year or where we are, what month we are, I.
Speaker 3: Picture that as a circle.
Speaker 5: Okay, so say it's like a clock, September's at the top December.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't January be?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think it has something to do with maybe this starting when I was like a kid or in school, or.
Speaker 1: Does everyone that has has this this form of partation do it the same?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: No, I don't think so, because I looked up something once on Reddit. Someone was saying that they see the days of the week and it goes counterclockwise, and that is like some real freak shit. That's crazy to me. So anyway, go back to the clock. Don't don't fanic.
Speaker 3: Are you eligible for a real ID? Just curious?
Speaker 2: I have a realized of course you're married to life hacked beat.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is a calendar.
Speaker 1: Hey, I had a new jingle that we also play a game with Sam all the time where we do jingles and then she has to guess what it was.
Speaker 3: Save big money at minards. I know that one number is what I've gotten in a long time.
Speaker 2: All right, what's the circle this is gonna be the year?
Speaker 3: September is of the top like a clock. It's a circle.
Speaker 2: Okay, So then you have.
Speaker 3: December is like where three pm would.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, they don't go in order.
Speaker 5: No, it's like September, October, November. I'm just trying to give you that.
Speaker 2: Oh you jumped ahead trying to give you that. I get it. I get it.
Speaker 5: Okay, December is at like three, March would be at like six. In July would be at like nine pm. That's how I see the calendar. So right now, if we're in the summer, we're in July, we're like over here to the left, like where nine pm is. So think about like birthdays, Your birthday My birthday are like.
Speaker 2: Day blocks the way clocks are already shaped.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, okay, but like you're in my birthday or is down here like around eight pm? And then and like saying with Pete's and Eddie's down here, John, when's your birthday?
Speaker 2: November?
Speaker 3: November? This is over here?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: I get it. Yeah, I can understand the circle from September.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you move around. So then days of the week that's shaped like a capital D.
Speaker 2: Is that just because of the word days?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I I thought everyone saw months and days.
Speaker 3: And they don't.
Speaker 5: Days the top Mondays at the top, then it goes Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Wednesday is kind of the fat part of the D.
Speaker 5: Then Thursday, then Friday is the bottom, and then Saturday Sunday is the straight line part.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you end on Sundays. You are a Christian, you believe the seventh Day is Holy we rest.
Speaker 3: So it's like, this is Monday.
Speaker 2: How many times have you had to explain this to people? Now?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't like say it a lot.
Speaker 2: I can't Huh, how dumb I think this is?
Speaker 3: There? We are?
Speaker 5: I mean I feel like I have a meeting on Monday and then I have my dermatologists on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Sure, okay, I've got stuff. This week doesn't with shape making it shaped in a D? What about calendars? Do calendars frustrate you the way they have them laid out.
Speaker 5: I just I think I just don't really pay attention to Cary loves accounting.
Speaker 1: We have calendars in our in our pantry, and it's just everything is filled out. Do you never use an actual traditional calendar?
Speaker 3: I have one on my phone that.
Speaker 2: I do you use it? You put appointment times in there?
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, So why don't you just wait for that thing to beep instead of like doing your Rainman stuff?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 5: I still have like alerts on my phone and stuff. But I also just like when I set something, it just also gets like set in my little my calendar noodles.
Speaker 1: Yea, when you saw that, what was the first movie that did the whole like formula started to float?
Speaker 2: What was it? A beautiful mind? Beautiful mind? Did you go? Did you feel seen? No?
Speaker 5: Because I'm not good at like numbers or math or anything.
Speaker 1: But are you seeing weird things in the air like that? I mean no, not really, I'm not seen anything. When I think of days now, I just learn them Sunday, Monday, Happy Days, Tuesday, Wednesday Happy Days.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get two in the weeds. It's a little like angled for what.
Speaker 2: Why does that? Why does the angle mean something?
Speaker 3: No idea, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Like same thing with the months, Like I always kind of see it from the perspective of like where January February is.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at it like if.
Speaker 2: I say, twenty twenty five, does that mean something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's this year?
Speaker 2: What does this year mean?
Speaker 3: That's just I'm I just picture the I start in January, that's five.
Speaker 5: But if I think about like COVID March of twenty twenty, I'm like, Okay, you guys went to Australia in January of twenty twenty, and then like March happened, and then this was COVID in twenty twenty over here, right, Okay, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I'm kind of fine, but I'm saying, but actual numbers of years do you think do they mean something different?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, unfortunately yes, So years stop.
Speaker 3: Years are like a straight line. So nineteen hundred.
Speaker 5: That's when it starts, starts to the left and it goes to the right. For some reason, I think because I'm born at the end of the nineteen hundreds, it doesn't start over for two thousand. It's just a continuous line to now twenty thirty five, but yeah, like twenty.
Speaker 2: It'll never start over.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I don't think so Okay, so twenty twenty five is like here if I think of like, well.
Speaker 2: I think of a line, a timeline that makes.
Speaker 3: Sense, Yeah, like nine to eleven's here?
Speaker 2: Is it to scale?
Speaker 5: The scale kind of changes, so like the centuries before, like eighteen hundreds and seventh they're in like they're allmost like corn field lines behind it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then unfortunately, like.
Speaker 2: What do you have? Do you have history that you know from difference?
Speaker 5: Okay, That's the sad thing is that you think that I would be like something, how many.
Speaker 3: Spond with all these things? And I'm not.
Speaker 2: I don't have any visual of numbers.
Speaker 5: Like weather, Like if it's thirty degrees in Chicago, it's like over here.
Speaker 3: And if it's like Chicago.
Speaker 2: If you don't like the weather in Chicago, just wait a few.
Speaker 3: Minutes, that's Chicago.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Like I think it's all numbers that I sort of see, like if I say four, well.
Speaker 3: I mean like I'm not the math doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: But like math doesn't it doesn't affect.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not good at math. I'm not good with numbers, but like zero to one hundred? Okay, do you see that in front of you?
Speaker 2: No, Like I just know what you just know that the numbers.
Speaker 5: If you got a ninety on a test like that would be more over to the right.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 5: Here's my thing that I don't get is that I don't get how you know when things are Like I have assistance, okay, right, right, you specifically someone tells you.
Speaker 2: Right, somebody dabs me on the shoulders, like, right, go here, you.
Speaker 3: Have to go do this.
Speaker 5: But like if I have a dermatologist appointment next Wednesday, Like, how do you know how soon something is?
Speaker 1: Because I know today is Saturday, and I know that there's four more days.
Speaker 2: Okay, but until Wednesday.
Speaker 5: If there's like something coming up in September, you just you don't see yourself like getting closer to it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: I guess I just know that I have to live for three more months, Okay.
Speaker 5: I Like, I know it sounds weird that you can't picture how I picture things, But like, I don't get how any of you guys function without this.
Speaker 2: All of us have mouth a gape.
Speaker 1: Right now, I feel like I'm being you feel like when you talk to somebody, you have to have known it for so long and then to hear this stuff coming out like oh this whole time, you're just crazy.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're just like untethered.
Speaker 5: If you have no concept for any of this, like something that's happening a month from now, or that happened like five months ago, that's just like.
Speaker 2: I know what five months is?
Speaker 3: What do you mean? Like, but what do you mean? What I mean like relative to you? Now you just know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's halfway a rotation around the sun. Is that helpful?
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 6: So do you associate it with like seasons?
Speaker 3: I mean, I know the seasons.
Speaker 2: Do seasons have a place?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, here with the with the months.
Speaker 1: But it's always in order no matter where you see it. It's never like randomly different.
Speaker 3: No, it's always in the same place.
Speaker 1: And you just get I don't even know what you're concerned, Like, you can't understand that that I just have an idea of how long something is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where's two million dollars? Okay, that's like over here.
Speaker 1: Oh no, so he just says he just said, where's two million dollars? And two million dollars has a has a place like.
Speaker 5: It's it's in like a scale of Yeah, if you're talking about millions one to ten, like, it's over here.
Speaker 1: It's not the same as days of the week or anything. Two millions just over here, and where's eight million?
Speaker 5: Well, then I guess the scale would shrink and it would just it would still be over here, but a little bit before. Right, Okay, if you're thinking about zero to one hundred million, two million would be over here. But if you're thinking about like zero to five million, it's.
Speaker 3: Probably over here.
Speaker 2: July eighth from right now is a week and a half away. Okay, Oh, you.
Speaker 5: Just need to actually see well, within like two weeks I can go over that actually makes sense.
Speaker 3: The week was a well but you know.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a D.
Speaker 3: It's a D.
Speaker 2: God. I don't even know which way a D goes when I'm doing it in the area.
Speaker 3: I go clockwise, so that helps me. But like, yeah, if there's a random.
Speaker 2: Du it, it's not hard. Though. If you have.
Speaker 5: Something on July seventeen, you're just like that's floating in the abyss for you. You're like, that's next month's problem, Like whatever.
Speaker 2: O, it's three weeks away, but it just is.
Speaker 3: It's nice to see that it gets closer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's still getting closer to me, but I know I get it. You you're just you get a visual for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when you watch a movie, then I say it's two hours. Are you like putting this on a time Yeah, I would.
Speaker 5: Say, like I mean in a day, like the hours in the day vaguely also are in a line. So if I have something a dinner, that's like at the top of the line.
Speaker 1: But if I say this movie is ninety minutes, right, do you go oh I or do you just go oh, yeah, I know how long that is.
Speaker 2: That's a short hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Comedy both, I know how long it is.
Speaker 1: And its just like as adults, we just like you've memorized. You're so conditioned to know, oh, thirty days, I got it.
Speaker 2: A month.
Speaker 3: I guess, just what about your period?
Speaker 2: Does that? Does that fall on anything?
Speaker 3: No, that's just shape of a pretzel. That's just every twenty eight days.
Speaker 2: That's a big capital P.
Speaker 1: Yeah right there, we got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Some individuals with time space synesthesia also have autism or have experienced head injuries. Which of these two categories do you fit into.
Speaker 3: Boy without a diagnosis, And.
Speaker 2: I mean that is true, that was looked up.
Speaker 3: Okay, I guess head injury. I think you.
Speaker 2: Don't want to admit that you've got a touch, as I don't.
Speaker 5: I guess it's a spectrum, so I could have a light dusting.
Speaker 2: Oh right, how do you see the spectrum?
Speaker 1: I believe you are right here on the spectrum. If the spectrum is leaning this way, you're right now.
Speaker 3: I don't know starts here. I'm trying to figure out how I see time.
Speaker 2: Now. That's the whole thing. We can't.
Speaker 1: I can't even answer your questions because it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: To me at all.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: The numbers thing is weird because even like zero, like age too.
Speaker 3: It's like you're fifty, which is like right here.
Speaker 5: Allegedly allegedly I met you when I was twenty four, which is over here.
Speaker 3: You know you don't picture, but you don't see past fifty for him, right, I say, I'm not seeing it until you're like fifty one. Then it moves.
Speaker 5: No. I feel like numbers that are like sequential, You don't think of them in a row.
Speaker 2: Yes, if I were to count.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you don't.
Speaker 2: I know what my next birthday will be. It will be fifty one.
Speaker 3: But if someone's eighty five, that is just then the.
Speaker 2: Year before they were eighty.
Speaker 5: Four, yeah, thirty five past fifty yeah, because see for me, they're like eighty five's right here?
Speaker 2: Nighttime, daytime anything?
Speaker 5: I mean, like the day is, the hours of the day are in front of me, and the night is past that.
Speaker 6: Do you prefer twenty four or twelve and twelve like am and PM?
Speaker 3: I don't do military time.
Speaker 2: You know, there's military time all assholes.
Speaker 3: So you see daytime?
Speaker 2: Nighttime?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like nighttime is there?
Speaker 2: It is? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, is it that weird? Which just so I've never even thought about how I see these things, and then you have a.
Speaker 2: Whole not weird. It's unique.
Speaker 3: It's unique newe.
Speaker 1: It does seem to be a bit on the spectrum, Okay, And that's okay, Sure, Sam's on the spectrum. Guys, you heard it here first, not of that. If anybody has any questions, questions, Dylan, Dylan woke up.
Speaker 2: Now he's a boy.
Speaker 6: So, like you said, with years, you see them in rows. So different centuries are different roads. Yes, But if you see different numbers, you just change the scale. So our years the only thing that you see in.
Speaker 3: Rows, Yes, years are the only thing.
Speaker 6: It's one hundred years you see is.
Speaker 1: Yes, except for the except for the hundred years that of her life, because that just added on.
Speaker 2: And continues after.
Speaker 3: Why two K.
Speaker 2: Were you worried about? Why? Two K?
Speaker 3: You know what I was and you know why. You know why because I was over it's over here and.
Speaker 2: It's at the edge.
Speaker 6: Well, I was gonna say to Dylan's point, like when you think of the dinosaurs like millions or built, how does she.
Speaker 2: Doesn't believe in dinosaurs? She believes in Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's all right, So it's.
Speaker 3: No that stuff is way too far away. That doesn't matter, I understand.
Speaker 6: But do you see it like way in your rose when you think of the dinosaurs, the rose.
Speaker 3: Die out after like fifteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Now, normally if this were your episode, you'd get a gift, but for this you certainly do not get a gift. Okay, okay, because this is not gift worthy. Although we did get a bunch of free stuff for plugging a bacon at the festival, So if you want some bacon, hats and tease.
Speaker 2: I can throw them your way.
Speaker 1: You interested, Yeah, probably, give give me some give me some bacon gear.
Speaker 2: Here, I'll see what she wants to Wow. Here it's a oh there's a bacon hip. Say you can put you wear a hat that has a CATCHI pet I do.
Speaker 3: I have a hat with past on it? Look at this?
Speaker 2: You want this one?
Speaker 3: I don't need that one.
Speaker 2: It says bacon bacon.
Speaker 3: But no, this fanny pack is cool.
Speaker 2: Though, You're like this, this is a good one.
Speaker 3: No, the bacon boat. Okay, thanks, okay, thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Wa you like truck your hats you always?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, No.
Speaker 2: This one says blue ribbon Bacon tour and I got a little pig on it.
Speaker 5: It's such a weird gift for me today.
Speaker 2: This from the actual thing.
Speaker 1: It's a stare that I just can't wait to read what people in the comments, right, because there will be some people that will be like, oh, thank you, I can relate to this, and then everyone else that's normal is just gonna hammer.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Now we understand Sam a little bit better, and hopefully in the future, once she's on the show.
Speaker 2: Over here, yeah, yeah, march this, we'll have some more follow up questions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, can't wait to hear from you guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, question how do you see time? You don't see time, You just learn it.
Speaker 1: Okay, But if I were to ask you where Wednesday is, where would you say it is?
Speaker 3: You'd have to look at a calendar to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's so good. So I was so worried that you were, you know, special. I'm just glad you're regular.