Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to the Credit Edge, a weekly markets podcast. My name is James Crombie. I'm a senior editor at Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: And i am Ruder Backman, chief structured finance strategist at Bloomberg Intelligence. This week, we are very pleased to welcome Tom Moyevsky, a founder of Eagle Point Credit, their fourteen billion dollar pride credit manager. How are you, Tom?
Speaker 3: Doing very well? Thank you.
Speaker 2: Tom set up Eagle Point in twenty twelve, turning it into one of the world's largest coo Ikady investors. The film has also explained to special definance, significant brisk transfers, and infrastructure credit, as well as other opportunities.
Speaker 1: So lots to discuss there. Let's start with software. You buy loans to software companies. That sector is under a lot of pressure. The fear is that a lot of the businesses will be replaced by AI and that the assets underlying the debt are actually worthless. Loan prices fell a lot at the start of the year as the AI story really took off. They've recovered a little bit, but the debt market still seems to be telling us that there's a big problem. Where do we go from here?
Speaker 3: The concerns are fair, the timing may be subject to question. In my opinion, I'll draw an analogy back to a little ipo I think in nineteen ninety seven Amazon dot Com. It's all worked out for them. Today you could read on Bloomberg probably every day six months after that IPO of the death of retail. I'm sure there was some story or something that talked about how retail was over. And indeed Amazon's just their retail revenue was over two hundred billion dollars last year, a lot of money. It fundamentally changed retail, but it didn't end it. And if you look across many CMBs transactions, the lowest vacancy rate is actually in the retail sector compared to US industrial or other things like that. That's from twenty nine years ago. Just to kind of put in context another significant shift in an ecosystem. Bring forward today to the rollout of AI for businesses like ours. Unfortunately, AI is still an additional cost. We're hopeful it'll be a savings over time, and that's what we're telling ourselves as we spend a lot of money and we see checks going out to all these different AI providers. When we think about software and its potential obsolescence or software as we knew it proverbially yesterday. I think answers very based on quite a number of things. First, how essential is the software picture a company like American Airlines, They're probably not going to have a clawed app replace their central reservation system. I'll go so far as to say there's probably some green screens somewhere still involved in their reservation system. On the other hand, a company like us, in our vacation tracking tool, should we have a little clawed app that can gin that up very quickly?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Our order management and portfolio management system. Is that going to be replaced by some sort of AI developed app anytime soon? Probably not. That's the DNA of the lungs and heart and nervous system of our company. So when you look at the impact of AI, both on software and more broadly, you have to think of the essentialness of that software, that legacy software tool and I'm sorry to use the word legacy to describe most software those designed proverbally yesterday. How important is it? How critical is it to a business? Every company wants to save money, Every company wants to use AI to do better. Whether you're in the software business or otherwise. I think the market has the trend right the direction, but in my experience the slope is far less steep in the beginning years, but may ultimately be more severe even than people are predicting. But I think of that as worst case five potentially fifteen years out in the future. To frame it in the I guess I joined a large bank in two thousand, you still had to apply to get an email account. Unthinkable today, but back you know, that was twenty five years ago. Those were still things that we were getting rolled out, even though email had widely been around. So when we look when we're looking at any software credit or any credit, frankly, one of the things is impact. Assessing the potential impact of AI. I think it's real. I think it will happen, but I do not think it happens overnight.
Speaker 1: So what does that mean for the loans? So for those who don't know, you know, duration, the maturity schedule of a lot of these things. You know, why is the length of time important in this context?
Speaker 3: Sure so, most syndicated loans and even private credit loans typically have maturities six seven, eight years. We can move around a little bit from there that said, I don't remember the last loan that paid off at maturity, and that very few companies want to have their long term debt move to the current portion of their balance sheet. I'm sure it's happened once or twice, but typically you'd expect to see a syndicated or private credit loan refinance sometime between two and four years after it's originated. And what that means is quite a few companies that our borrowers are debtors at the market today probably have one more bite at the apple to refinance before they face a real problem. That's not one hundred percent the rule, but I think it's significantly the case. One of the things we like in the market, and we've certainly you know, you've talked about and others others here have written about the give or take two trillion dollars private credit market, and for a while there were some articles getting written. Is the private credit market eating the syndicated market's lunch? And for listeners, the syndicated credit market is going to be larger companies. This is going to be Hilton Hotels, Dell computer companies of that size and scale. Private credit typically smaller, but not always and there were a number of companies maybe a year or two ago that were in the syndicated market that refinanced their debt into the private credit market. In many cases they paid, greed to pay a higher spread over base rates. And why did they do that. Their revenues or EBADA had fallen twenty to thirty percent. They needed to be more levered. There were aggressive firms, maybe even vultures, buying up their debt in the syndicated market, and they just wanted to get to a spot where they could work things out privately with two or three lenders who would hopefully be more understanding, but they'd have to pay them more. At the same time, as companies do better, private credit companies all want to graduate to the syndicated market because your cost of debt is lower. If private credits five hundred or six hundred over syndicated credits in action directionally three hundred bases points over. There's no one in the world who wouldn't like lower debt costs. So what we see is, even if it's a large cap company that might be facing some AI headwinds, I see the potential for the private credit market to refinance them out and other companies will probably achieve some significant cost savings and might be able to move from private credit up to the syndicated credit market. That companies have a couple of years of runway on their debt. We look across and we publish this and are on our website of all the loans we have exposure to in our syndicated programs, I'm going to say less than two or three percent mature in the next eighteen months. So companies in general have a good bit of runway on their debt. They might not like the terms they have to refinance that, but in general, I believe there'll be a market for most, if not all companies to continue refinancwer.
Speaker 1: So it's a company that's kind of in long term declimb, but short term there's an opportunity on the debt.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, what are you describing with your exposures. That's actually very common across CROs. You do find that when you look at klatropool and you track it over time, the maturity is the new maturities. They'll always disappear from the pools several years, sometimes ahead of the time before they actually come due. So there's sort of their wave of maturities in the collateral pool that moves forward in time as we move forward in times, so we never actually get to the point where we have a wall of maturities hitting the CLO market all at the same time in the collateral pools. I think the difficulty with the AI exposure of SAS companies is that AI is fairly new, so I think a lot of people are trying to figure out what exactly the scenario is that will play out, and different people have different concerns in mind. I mean, some people have the concern or have the concern that the pricing models that the SaaS companies are using it's no longer going to work because currently their pricing proceed and if you have an AI like a cloud Cowork, then you might have far fewer employees as a result of fewer seats, and so for the SaaS companies, the seat pricing is so long ago going to work. Other companies then, or other investors have the concern that we may see a situation where people who currently buy software will just build it internally, which you alluded to before, which might happen for smaller applications. Another concern is that it might actually be very easy and cheap and quick, using AI to replicate some of the largest SaaS companies offerings, and that in turn would result in an increased competition that in turn would put pressure on margins as SaaS companies. So there's a variety of concerns and it's difficult to figure out what exactly this scenario is going to be that will end up in I think it's difficult to make a great assessment as earlier as now because the field that's just so wide open with AI, because it's so new, and because the improvements in in AI are so fast.
Speaker 3: I think what you're saying is fair direction. I agree with the sentiments you've shared. That maturity wallpoint is actually very very true. If you look at our public filings over the last ten years, the maturity wall chart basically looks the same every single year. We just changed the dates one year. I'm sure we actually recalculated, but we probably don't have to and could convey the same message broadly. Though, what you're talking about is in line with what I'm talking about of we need a little more time to see the real impact of this. We know there will be an impact. I actually think it will be more severe than maybe many of the naysayer say. However, I think it will be later. The pace of innovation or the implementation of innovation just takes longer. I saw a stat recently, and I don't remember the source, but it was it was something on the lines of seventy percent of Fortune five hundred companies still use mainframes for calculations. I'm not in data and operations. I'm sure they're not using punch cards and real to real tapes that you might have seen in a nineteen sixties James Bond movie or something like that. But that's still technology that's used, and certainly there's more efficient ways to do things. And you know, probably my iPhone has more computing power than mainframes did ten or twenty years ago. So I agree with the sentiment you're sharing. I think we have a longer runway than the market predicts. It doesn't mean it's smooth sailing for the next few years, but it's also not armageddon. One of the other things we've seen in AI or the AI threat coming around a one particular loan an insurance broker called Alliant, which is principally a high net worth of property and casualty insurance broker. Back in January February of this year, there was an article went around or some chatter in the market that AI is going to cost them their business, and the loan traded down three points and you know, in a very short period of time it rebounded those in three points and probably a very similar period of time, and it was a missing opportunity.
Speaker 2: Frankly, I want to come at this point. I think you have sort of alluded to it already twice, which is not so much a fundamental point which we addressed before, but the sentiment important, and one concern I would have is that we are in a situation where, because it's so uncertain what will happen, these companies will post decent results fundamentally the current contracts are currently have, they're still running, the financials will look fine, but a lot of investors will start to worry that in future they will not be fine, and at that point it will become very difficult for them to refinance make during that. So you sort of alluded to that before when you said, well, you know, some of these companies may have to get refinanced from a different investor base than from their current investor base. But this crazy situation where we might end up in a with a self fulfilling prophecy. Yes, currently things look fine. Yes, eventually thinks might go wrong, be not sure, but that will take time, but the impact on the businesses will materialize earlier simply through the funding market, and we may have the self fulfilling prophecy where the current investor base says, well, I think these businesses could too poorly. I think all the other investors that I know in my market think the same thing. So I'm not going to refinance this company because I'm afraid no one else I know will do and tends the company will go bust, even though different fundamentals currently still look good. And then comes the question of can the company actually find someone else to fund them?
Speaker 3: And some non AI examples of that. There was a company in the syndicated loan market called Outer Wall which owned, among other things, red Box, which were in supermarket DVD rentals, which was in the state of the art twenty years ago I'm now laughable, but multiple times, even in their decline, they able to refinance another company, am General, that makes hummers for the military and maybe even the commercial ones. I forget similar thing of trend very much in the wrong direction, but able to continue to access the capital markets as long as they have some degree of revenue and EBITDA. That said, there will be a day of reckoning for any of these declining companies. But the mitigant that we see is time is your friend as a lender, even if they have to take their SOFUR plus three hundred loan and refinance at private credit at SOFA plus six hundred and then three years later refinance it into a distress lender at SOFA plus eight hundred. If it's that or default, you're going to you know, you're going to pay up on the debt versus lose all your equity. So it's it's maybe even analogous to real estate when you interest rates moved up, many would have called that a slow moving train wreck. You know, if you have a three percent mortgage and all of a sudden, you know, mortgages are now seven percent and you own a you know, not so fancy office building in midtown, you're fine until you get to your maturity date on your loan. And we could see you know, similar things like that. Not necessarily, that's the corporate owners are going to get to the maturity date, but it will take a long It will take multiple years for all of this to flesh out. And what we're seeing in the credit markets, both the CLO market and actually the BBC market where we're a very large investor in the private credit market in terms of fun financing, we're seeing the baby thrown out with the bathwater, by and large when we look at this, and we have, in addition to our COLO equity position, and we believe we're one of the largest holders of COLO equity in the world, which gives us insight into thousands of different credits all around the world, both in the US and Europe. We're also, we believe, one of the largest at eagle point one of the largest non bank financiers of BDCs and private credit funds. And this is a strategy we set up six or seven years ago. We actually call it our defensive income strategy. And the genesis of it, we were talking about bubbles and private credit long before the headlines were getting written, back when private credit was a one trillion dollar market. Now it's a two or three trillion depending on who's counting, but lots and lots of money what's going on here and what we saw. If memory serves from like twenty fifteen to twenty nineteen, a period when there weren't a lot of credit losses, BDC debt outperformed BDC equity. I might be slightly off on my date on that, but directionally, even if it's the same, if you're the creditor and you're making the same as the shareholder, obviously you're taking less risk as the creditor. And we started looking at this, and we started looking at the BDC market, which is issued. They are forty AC companies that make a special BDC election, and that law became available to BDC's I believe in nineteen eighty, so we're forty six years in. While lots of BDC's, we've talked about them a little bit, the public ones, many if not most, are trading at a non trivial discount to nab the share price on the exchange less than what the books and records say the value of the equity is. On one hand, many non traded BDC's probably I had my the Bloomberg terminals not open right here, but I'm sure there's a headline about some fund that had more than five percent redemptions come in this quarter of a non traded BDC, both of those facing significant headwinds. BDCs that had historically traded at a premium now trading at a discount. Across the forty six years since the BDC laws have been in place, to the best of our knowledge, there have been two defaults ever by BDCs, Allied and ACASS and both of those were one hundred cent recovery to the creditor, even the shareholder's got some leftover value. And so when we look at what's going on in private credit, the thing that's made BDC's work is something called the asset coverage ratio. In our opinion, has been the number one thing, which simply it's there's three different tests. Under the forty Act one percent asset coverage. BDCs are subject to the one to fifty rule, which means there need to be for every dollar of debt one hundred and fifty dollars of assets supporting it. If they were to fail that test, the consequences are severe, but not game over. And this is very important as well. If you fail your asset coverage ratio, you can't declare any more dividends and for people in the tender offer funds or the non traded funds. No more. Forget about getting capped at five percent redemptions. The redemptions go to zero if you're failing the asset coverage ratio because they're not allowed to redeem capital below that ratio. And when we look across what we're seeing in all the different BDCs, and then we've taken that same technology, which I think is some of the most elegant financial regulation ever written, We've applied that to GPLP funds, which we think is the vast majority of the private credit market. Well XYZ non traded BDC gets the headline. We think the traded and non traded BDC universe is probably twenty thirty percent in BDC format or the private credit markets twenty to thirty percent BDC format, which suggests seventy to eighty percent in GPLP format. And when we look across that, what we've begun doing, and we started this six years ago and it's actually our largest business segment. We took the forty Act rules of the asset coverage ratio and started providing long term financing to GPLP funds. And what it gives us, in addition to a very good return on our investments, it gives us insight into hundreds and thousands of private credit loans as well. In many cases, we see the financials on the underlying borrowers, We see the trends and their businesses, and indeed, you know, i'd say software companies are probably the most at risk across that universe. At the same time, well, I think my company were probably. AI is still in the cost center category. We hope it becomes a savings category. There's other companies perhaps where AI is already helping them save money and reduce staff and do things more efficient money. So invariably because of AI and its prevalence and the technology is truly amazing. And I know one one thousandth one one thousandth of a percent of what we can actually do with AI. I'm sure my team knows more. That will hurt some, but it'll actually help others and lower costs and lower prices and increase profits for many businesses.
Speaker 1: So it comes always back to the software point, and to kind of circle out to something that Reto said, I mean, you know, there is this kind of uncertainty no one really knows so you know, you could be wrong about some of your assumptions. What stops the companies, you know, they face an existential risk? What stops them doing something desperate? You know, they don't pay you back, they just go off and try and save themselves instead. You know, is that not something you see as a scenario.
Speaker 3: Well, thankfully we do have contract law in the United States, so their ability just to renounce their debt. One or two companies have tried that over my career. A company a long time ago laid law my recollection tried to say this was not valid indebtedness to the syndicated market. That didn't work out for them, But in general, companies have to pay. However, what's another trend in the loan market the default rate? If you were to look up on any of the major publishers corporate loan default rate, you'd probably saye, it's around one percent right now for below investment great credit, well below the long term average. Frankly, wow, that sounds great. What could possibly be going wrong? The little secret of the market, and you've covered it once or twice on this podcast fairly recently, is what i'll call lender on lender violence or liability management exercises or out of court restructurings might be the least salacious way to put it, but it really is a lender on lender of violence and something that's crept certainly well into the syndicated loan market and even somewhat into the private credit market. Are provisions that say fifty one percent of the lenders can pretty much agree to anything. That's a pretty good that's a very very powerful provision, and over the last eighteen months or so, we've seen well over one hundred liability management exercises or out of court restructurings of companies that we're facing. The problems that you're facing.
Speaker 1: The CLO trade generally, we've had a lot of people talk about it as a big opportunity, but there is a fear about the underlying loans in terms of defaults. As the US phonomy maybe gets more challenged in the second half, the rates maybe they go higher. That puts companies, you know, at risk maybe not being able to pay back, but also the risky trunche that you're in. I mean, that seems to be the most exposed. We've just had a default in Europe, part of European CLO managed by Bain failed to repay investors in full. That's the first such defaults since an overhaul of the market more than a decade ago. Is this a sign of things to come?
Speaker 3: There's always outliers. And even if you look back to the CLO one point zero era, ninety six percent of clos had a positive return to the equity class and the media and IRR was well in excess of the base case that was marketed. Frankly in the mid two thousands, there are two principal risks that we think of as a CLO equity investor. Oddly, defaults is the second of them. The first one is what we saw a lot of in twenty two twenty five. A research report that I saw by Nomura suggested that COLO Equity had a negative fifteen percent total return last year. That's one person's judgmental opinion, probably directionally accurate. It was less to do with defaults and more to do with the bull market and credit and spread compression. And what that means is that the spreads on loans were getting repriced tighter and tighter and tighter. Alone, that was three seventy five over got repriced to three twenty five and across many of the colos we've invested in, we saw the spreads come down significantly on the assets, so now we have less money coming into the system. Things we can do as a majority equity investor are proactively resetting and refinancing the right side of our liability of the COLO balance, directing refis and resets, and I'm going to go so far, sos Had, I don't believe anyone's done more than us in the last year in that space, and where we have such a larg portfolio, there's always something to do. There's not enough banks to get one typically what we want to do. That said, the spread tightening on the COLO debt side was nowhere near as much as on the asset side, and so you, despite our best efforts, the NIM or the difference between the spread and the assets and liabilities just fell significantly last year. While there were some credit problems, oddly the bigger issue was bull market and repricing of loans, and no one really asked us that when we're talking to investors, well, what if loans rally hard? Is not a question we often get. But when we look at what's gone wrong with colos, typically that's been the biggest thing the flip side. When we look at the faults. Let's say we have a ten percent de fault rate over the next twelve months. Not a prediction from me by any stretch, but it's always a possibility. If we were to have ten percent of faults, James, where would you think loans are trading it?
Speaker 1: Does the index? Yes, probably below ninety.
Speaker 3: Certainly greater than more than a ten percent discount would be my expectation. I'd probably put it somewhere in the seventy to eighty context to frame it. During COVID, when we had five six percent of faults, the loan index fell to eighty, and when we saw in the financial crisis ten to eleven percent of faults, loans actually fell to as low as sixty, give or take on the index. Importantly, every loan that doesn't default pays off at par. Just because the index is at sixty of ten percent default, that means all the others paid off at one hundred. Colos typically do the best, and I look at our performance across our different portfolios. We do the best when there's actually periods of high default because in my opinion, in my experience. Price volatility in the loan market is always greater than actual credit expense.
Speaker 2: So it's true a course various credit astic classes that the spreads are there low at the moment, and that brings me to a number of questions around turns. So one thing that comes up in that context is the value of the call option that the that the equity has. And of course now we've spread so low, and having having been low or as low as maybe two years ago, it seems to me like the value of the call option is is reduced in terms of what it can offer the equity, and so maybe the equity returns that we can expect the lowered to that extent. So before you comment on that, one thing I've come across again and again is that investors who look at colo equity investments people haven't done that kind of investment before. They actually find it very difficult to find reliable data on what the historical performance of equity investments has actually been. And I think it might actually be help for the entire asset class if that data was more wide available, but at the moment it seems to me it's mostly private data not very available, and maybe that even keeps people who have a long history in equity investments, uh a leg up. So so I guess the first point was more about what's the current situation in terms of expected returns in equity and the second point was more how can we back up claims about the value of equity investments more generally?
Speaker 3: Well, James could have seen me smiling when he said that information about equity values is not broadly available. It's available, but you have to have largely created it yourself as a general rule to just complete on that second point. So the data does exist, it's not published. There's not much in the way of a CLO equity index. You know, there's a number of bags have debt in that indices, but I can't point to a published CLO equity And that said, a number of large banks publish annual or semi annual total return numbers for the COLO equity asset class. And we've strung together some degree of i'll call it simulated index. We'll take as many credible data sources as we can and average them. And sometimes the numbers are all over the place. You know, one guy might say the market's up ten, the other says up fifteen. Okay, we'll take the average of the two and say twelve and a half, and it's directionally accurate, we believe, and I share with you. Last year in Amuro said the market was down fifteen percent, which feels directionally pretty accurate as well. So there are some published pieces of information, there's not specifics.
Speaker 1: So what could you make this year on CLO equity? What would the return forecast be?
Speaker 3: Banks have put out some stats for the first half that were also non trivially negative, this time a little more due to credit volve than to spread compression. Where we sit going forward, I'm a little more optimistic in that I think we've seen the significant bulk of the spread compression play out, and I think we're seeing more discipline behavior on issuance in our account. In twenty twenty five, the significant majority of the COLO market of new issue clos was sponsored by captive or controlled capital by the collateral manager, which we think of as generally analogous to unsponsored private equity. We're giving management the keys to the kingdom. Very few new colos last year were purchased by third party equity investors. We're seeing a little bit of an uptick in that I think that might increase in the second half of the year. So the things that have gone wrong last year, spread compression largely abated. It always reappear and reappear very quickly. And credit expense. I think we saw price declines and loans which adversely impact the price of COLO equity, but we haven't seen. While we did talk about l ees and modifications and things like that, the credit losses going to the things that were said earlier in this call haven't been that The realized losses haven't been that significant. So it could be a very interesting time to get into the market, probably more on the secondary side or buying into an existing portfolio than saying let's go out and create a bunch of new ones. Today. That said, there's always something interesting to be done in the market, but.
Speaker 1: It could be another negative year for an equity on the.
Speaker 3: Clos where we stand right now, it's certainly possible.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it doesn't sound so good in terms of the BDC's which he talked about. You know, you lend to BDCs, you also lend to other private funds gps and LPs. I'm interested in your view into that world because you know, we get a lot of very negative views about private credit, about the sky is falling about you know, the reckoning coming about the end of the Golden Age, all of that stuff. You've heard it. But since you have the visibility, how worried should we be about Bdcason about private credit?
Speaker 3: More generally, it's not as bad as the pace of headlines suggest in my opinion, when we look at what's going on with the underlying portfolio companies of many private credit funds, not all. In general, revenue is growing in many cases, IBIDA is flat to growing, which is good. There might not be hitting plan a fair number of cases, but it's not as if we're seeing ten other than isolated incidences. We're not seeing ten twenty thirty percent revenue declines across companies that are in these portfolios. One of the things that frustrates me, and it's gotten attention, and I certainly knew a lot of press on the terminal and from others. Loans that are marked at one hundred, one hundred, one hundred and one hundred and thirty. Yeah, that's not supposed to happen, right, you know, absent some terrible shock event happening to that company in that quarter. One of the things that that frustrates I think quite a few people is a little bit of the lack of the lack of transparency the opacity in private credit pricing. Some research analysts have looked across and said, you know, BDC one holds this loan, they've got a marked at ninety eight, b DC two holds it at ninety five. Things like that, Well, ideally they'd be the same. These are level two in level three assets within a few points. I think that's a tolerable band. What would be more alarming, And there were a few instances like this in the past. One guy's got it marked at sixty and the other guys got it marked at one hundred. That's clearly the wrong answer between two identical instruments. But when we look through the things that are bad for credit ultimately are drops in revenue and EBITDA. At the end of the day, if your EBITA and revenue are growing, it's probably going to work out for a company, And by and large we're seeing that even in the private credit world, not exclusively, but that's not the exception to have that happen. And so when we think about BBC stock in general, vast majority are trading at discounts to book. There's a couple of things going on there. There's the perception of future credit losses coming, which I think is a fair perception that's probably overpriced in the market.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask about a third product that you seem to be involved in, which is the significant risk transfer transactions that has grown over the past few years, and I'm wondering how you started to enter that market. Was it that you mostly looked at as at transactions that are set up as a synthetic secusations? Was that the entered point that it became interested in this as a media security should optoty.
Speaker 3: So we call them regulatory capital relief. In my opinion, that sounds a lot better than significant risk transfer. Yeah, who wants to be transferred a significant amount of risks? Indeed, and I think it used to be synthetic risk transfer, but somehow it changed to significant maybe to appease some regulators. But regardless of what we call it, I'm going to call it regulatory capital relief for this purpose. We got into the market i'm going to say about five years ago, and we were intrigued by it in a number of ways. The asset pools underlying these regulatory capital transactions that bank issue, and the purpose of them is for banks to keep owning the loan but get a reduced capital charge or substantially eliminate their capital charge from holding assets whilest serving the customers being the face to their customers. And it's basically a just in time tool for banks to raise capital. And we have a team of people focused on this market, and I joke with them they could take the first forty five days of the quarter off and then work NonStop the second forty five days at the quarter because typically these issuances closed the dare you know, September twenty eighth will be a busy day in the regulatory capital market October second, they could probably take the day off and play golf if it's nice outside. So it's banks using this market to raise capital. A lot of European banks are quite active in it. The US banks have done it to some degree, but it's principally driven by the European and a lesser degree Canadian banks. It can include corporate credit, both large cap and middle market. It can include auto loans, It can include consumer loans. One large bank actually did trade finance loans, and you know they've got a business. Someone you know, a merchant, puts his goods in a box and shen zen on a boat. He wants the money. It gets off the boat in croatio. That guy doesn't want to pay, and so he opens the box and sees the goods are there. One bank is pretty good at doing that financing, and they actually do an SRT on that portfolio.
Speaker 2: And where do you take the position? Is it sort of a second loss piece because obviously to take the first loss piece in a co but do what where is your positioning?
Speaker 3: Typically a good, very good question. We're typically in the first loss piece. Once in a while the banks will keep a teeny tiny sliver beneath us, but by and large we're in the first loss piece. Now in nearly all of these the banks will also hold a portion of the loan unhedged on their balance sheets, so they're in the same loan alongside of us, but we are typically first loss. What we're looking at is banks are very very data rich, and you can see in many cases twenty thirty years of loss experience, and like even within auto loans, they might rank auto loans in fifteen different categories of risk, and you can see with a pretty they're pretty darn good at picking this kind of stuff. How their portfolios have performed historically based on the bank's internal risk category for any pool of assets. So that's the kind of stuff we can look at. It's a very data rich investment. When I think about putting it together with COLO equity, there's a couple of interesting pieces. Colo equity has NAV risk, and that when we get to the call date, typically at the end of the reinvestment period, doing whatever loans haven't defaulted, whatever's in the portfolio. If I want to liquidate the portfolio, I get the price the market will bear on that day for the remaining loans, which could be ninety eight cents on the dollar, could be ninety seven cents on the dollar, or along the way. If loans trade way down all of a sudden, the NAV could be zero in a piece of in a piece of col equity, despite still getting cash flows. In an SRT transaction or regulatory capital transaction, every loan that doesn't default is unwound from the vehicle at par in that it's a synthetic contract if it hasn't defaulted. Okay, at think you just rip up the contract. There's no mark to market on the way out. So one of the big things that drives volatility in COLO equity pricing NAV volatility is not something you face in regulatory capital relief investing, so we like that a lot. What you don't get in regulatory capital relief is the ability to reinvest cheap. So in a world where in two thousand and eight or twenty twenty, loans were trading at deep deep discounts and coelos are able to use prepayments or make relative value trades to buy things in a distressed market, the regulatory capital relief market doesn't really have that concept. Even if there's a replenishment period, which many do, where the bank can add new assets meeting subject to certain criteria, they just go into park. So you get the benefit of NAVS stability or you're isolated from NAV risk when you're in these regulatory capital pools, but you lose the ability to reinvest cheap in distress days. I said earlier, we were investing pretty aggressively in this market in twenty twenty three and twenty four. If you look at some of our public funds, which you can see our schedule of investments, and you can see where we mark everything, and you can compare it to others marks as well if you'd like. You'll see we've added relatively little in this space over the last eighteen months. It's still an attractive investment in my opinion, but the excess return maybe has been taken out of it to some degree in that several large players have gotten involved then have just gobbled things up and have actually asked for thicker equity tranches than is needed just so they can get significant sums of capital deployed. So whereas we were deploying a lot of capital at fourteen fifteen percent loss adjusted a couple of years ago, today it's going to be a couple hundred basis points tighter than that. And when I look across the ecosystem, and a number of our portfolios are are multi strategy, can put we can buy clos and then we can do fund financing. We can put private infrastructure credit, we can put equipment leasing in, we can do any number of things to put into those funds. What I'm seeing is, in general, although there's exceptions, regulatory capital today is less compelling to deploy capital into, not necessarily because of future credit risk that we see, although that's a factor more just in terms of the yields that other investors are bidding today. No, it's hard to say the market's cheap. I think it's still attractive, but it's certainly not cheap.
Speaker 1: Briefly because they're almost out of time, tom where do you see the best relative value right now? Because you know, you describe yourself as the biggest coelo equity investor that you expect potential loss this year following a loss last year, So you know, how.
Speaker 3: Do you make your money the old fashioned way of hopefully picking the best investments. And even if you look at our public COLO funds, there's plenty of things that are not clos in those funds today, and that's an important part of delivering value for our shareholders in those vehicles. Across the strategies and across the areas where we're investing today, what I think of as the two most attractive things that are getting the most excitement are middle market infrastructure lending, and we have a dedicated team focused on that. Where we're not coming in lending on Heathrow Airport or you know, these ginormous projects we're coming in at the one hundred million couple hundred million dollar financing size, so smaller than the but the gigantic groups are going after. We've been able to get some very attractive investments done there where we're providing i'll call it bespoke solutions for folks. We can speak for the whole facility ourselves, but it's not big enough to attract the gigantic funds, and it's also probably seeing one little tweak to make it bank eligible for the project finance market, which is by far one of the cheapest markets. So we've deployed probably over a billion dollars in infrastructure middle market private credit over the last year, and our pipeline there is very robust. We also have a joint venture with a large one hundred plus year old bank here in New York City for equipment financing. And when we think about serving middle market companies, many of these are the companies that are borrowing at SOFA plus five hundred from these BDCs facing redemptions. In many cases, we've been able to go to companies when we've seen them issue alone and say would you also be interested in doing a sale lease back on some of your essential equipment. And we have a dedicated program where with outbound calling where we're going and we're actually doing sale leasebacks on like a good example of essential manufacturing equipment. And what makes that very good In a lease the less or you're the owner of the equipment. It's good to be a secured lender is great. It's better to own the equipment. And the course of a bankruptcy and if a company doesn't pay or it goes bankrupt, they either reaffirm the lease and keep paying, or you go and take your equipment. You've got the title, you take the sheriff, and you get your stuff. What's important in that strategy is focusing on the most essential equipment. There's one company we're involved in that owns a large portfolio of gas stations or petrol stations. We own the gas pumps and least them back. If they're going to be a business, they're going to have these, and if not, there's actually a secondary market for used gas pumps, believe it or not. A and then be The other thing I like about it is knowing not a lot of people are sitting here saying inflation's going down, and probably inflation's trending up over the long term, we've got more geopolitical uncertainty in the world. Commodity and energy inputs are you know, probably keep going up, not down. Inflation is a G eight factor for equipment financing in that we own the equipment at the end of the lease, and to the extent inflation is high, residual values will typically be higher, and there's a path for significant gain. Of some of our earliest leases that have gone full cycle, we've actually really crystallized very nice gains at the tail end of that. I'm leasing as a specialized market. There's other quirks to it, not just straight up corporate lending, and we have a dedicated team focused on that. So when I think of the things that are exciting us that typically move to the top of the pile when we're looking at investments, a middle market infrastructure credit is one for sure, equipment finance certainly another, and then I'll call it esoteric specialty finance. Things that might just fall through the cracks where we can apply a little bit of abs knowledge and a little bit of structured product knowledge and some corporate credit finding things like that, they're typically going to be over ten percent type returns. Not the kind of thing where we're going to be competing with a BBC. Might need a little extra brain power to to kind of figure it out and structure it. But those are the kind of things that do excite us.
Speaker 1: Great stuff. Tom Yeski, found managing partner at Eagle Point Credit, Thank you so much for joining us on the Credit Edge.
Speaker 3: Great, thank you so much for having me, and.
Speaker 1: Of course very grateful to Retto Bachman with Bloomberg Intelligence. Thank you very much. Pleasure for more credit market analysis and insight, read all of Retto's great work on the Bloomberg Terminal. Bloomberg Intelligence is part of our research department with five hundred and and strategists working across all markets. Coverage your clues over two thousand equates and credits, pass outlooks on more than ninety industries and one hundred market indices, currencies and commodities. Please do subscribe to the Credit Edge wherever you get your podcasts. We're on Apple, Spotify and all other good podcast providers, including the Bloomberg Terminal at b pod Go. Give us a review, tell your friends, or email me directly at jcromb eight at Bloomberg dot net. I'm James Cromby. It's been a pleasure having you join us again next week on the Credit Edge