Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind, This is Rob Lamb. We have some episodes here for you. Let's see. Today is going to be The wicker Man nineteen seventy three, a part one of two. We had a lot to say about this one, so we broke it up into two pieces. This piece originally published five to twenty twenty five. This is a vacation week, a week when we are airing reruns every day in an attempt to catch up and stay current and all. So this is a prime week for a Weird House Cinema two partner because in the Friday slot this week we will air The wicker Man nineteen seventy three, Part two. So anyway, I hope you enjoy this one and you'll get the other one again at the end of the week.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and.
Speaker 3: This is Joe McCormick. And today, as we are recording this, it is May first, the sacred festival of May Day, and so we are going to be talking in accordance with the season about the classic nineteen seventy three British film, The wicker Man, which is usually usually grouped under a genre people call full corror. Maybe we can quibble in this episode about whether that title should or should not be applied. And also note though we rarely do this on Weird House Cinema, usually we keep it one movie per episode. This is one we think we're going to have to split into two parts because we love the Wickerman and we're going to have a lot to say about it. The only two other movies we've ever done this with before were David Lynch's Doune and Highlander two The Quickening, So putting the Wickerman in there, there is cohesion to this trinity.
Speaker 1: Yes, these are three films that are often associated with each other, but I do agree like there's a lot to say about the Wickerman. We're probably going to go on and on a bit in a good way, so it's very possible we'll split here.
Speaker 3: So I'm very excited because The Wickerman is one of my personal favorite movies. In fact, it's a mutual favorite in our house. It's also one of my wife Rachel's all time favorite movies. So we've got a lot of like Wickerman merch in our house. I don't know if you've seen any of that stuff, Rob, but we've got like a Wickerman night light, and.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I don't think I remember seeing any of this. All right, it's great.
Speaker 3: Well it lights up behind the Wicker glows. You know, there's kind of an orange glow behind a Wickerman silhouette.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 3: Actually, before we go on to any further detail, there is something I definitely want to say. So in every Weird House Cinema episode we end up discussing the plot of the movie that we're covering in some detail. So it's always the case that you should watch the movie first if you don't want to have anything spoiled. But if you've never seen The Wickerman from nineteen seventy three, this in particular is really a film I would recommend going into knowing as little as possible. Obviously, it gets into some horror territory, so if you're sensitive to horror themes, you can look things up ahead of time. But otherwise, if you have a general appetite for horror, I would strongly strongly encourage you to not even glance at a plot summary, not listen.
Speaker 4: To any more of this episode, just go ahead and watch.
Speaker 1: It, but then come back and listen to this. Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the first time I saw it, a friend of mine when I was in college showed it to me without telling me telling me anything ahead of time. I'm just really grateful I got to experience it that way. The Wickerman is such an unusual and surprising film. It is full of unexpected humor and horror and delight and despair, and even now, like fifty years later, in a world where a lot of movies you may have already seen have been inla fluenced by The Wickerman. If you haven't seen it before and you don't know everything ahead of time, I think it will keep you very intrigued and puzzled in the best possible way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, It's a film that really stands on its own, even though it is part of the folk car subgenre and is very influential over the full car subgenre. I think that the big three that are often referred to are sixty eighth, witch Finder, General, seventy one's Blood on Satan's Claw, and then of course seventy three is The wicker Man. But at the same time, nothing else is really like The wicker Man, even other movies that have the name The wicker Man. There are remakes of the movie we're talking about here today are nothing like it.
Speaker 3: We might have to get into the remake in part two here. I think there really just is no other movie like it. It is its own genre and perhaps still the only movie in that genre. But anyway, if you haven't seen The Wickerman yet and you want to pause here and go watch it so you can, you can see it unspoiled, and then come back, we will give you a little music break.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Looking back, I think I saw The wicker Man for the first time, probably like on I think it was A and E. So I saw it on cable. Didn't know what I was getting into, but it instantly loved it, and at some point decided, well, I need to own this forever. I'm going to buy a special edition VHS of The wicker Man in a big clamshell case. Yes, and I did, and of course it was replaced by DVDs.
Speaker 3: Just you know a few years later, did you have the version with the wooden box.
Speaker 1: I did not, but I do remember seeing that at the movie store at the mall. They had all these special editions that one I'm not sure if that was an Anchor Bay release, but this was a time period during which Anchor Bay was like the source for cool you know, DVDVHS editions of whatever your favorite genre films happened to be.
Speaker 3: I have to mention again I've said this on the show before, that someday we should come back and do a series on weird house cinema. That's just movies that had gimmick packaging, so like the release of The Wickerman and the Wooden Box that I'm sure a lot of people now just used to store whatever and.
Speaker 4: Who knows what they put in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also like the Dead Pit with the light up eyes, and I'm sure we could get a whole list of them. Gimmick packaging on VHS tapes is just such a beautiful, beautiful thing. Like almost nothing gives me more weird, gleeful nostalgia.
Speaker 1: I know a collector or two we could reach out to for them. But yeah, The Wickerman just such a great weird film, one that succeeds in creating not merely an uncanny horror movie, but a thought provoking cinematic enigma. So not to say you can't appreciate it purely as a horror film purely as this you know, roller coaster ride and experience. But there's just a lot of rich texture to the film that leaves you to make your own interpretations. Like some of the big ones are of course, regard like what is the film saying or not saying about pagan religious beliefs, about modern Christian faith, about human religion in general.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of my favorite things about it is that the movie is saying a lot in a way, but it's not really reducible to a message. Maybe I would say it's not actually saying, it is singing, Like the story is just overflowing with meaning and has the kind of feeling of a commentary, but it is not really reducible to a message or a thesis. There's no point the movie really makes without also sort of making the opposite point. Also, obviously, the subject matter means that the story is entangled with the of religion, with religion, ritual and faith, which are three different things, but also power and violence and the law. Some people talk about this movie like they think the point of it is Christianity is bad and Paganism was better. I've seen people talk about it like they think it kind of means that. I feel like it would be hard to really say that's the point of the movie if you think about it. Yeah, at the same time, it is certainly not saying the opposite either. This movie is not Christian apologetics, and it was considered extremely offensive by many Christians when it came out. And so instead the religious themes are more it's just sort of a gardening project of religious themes. Just themes are sort of growing, and we're seeing how they grow and interact. It's like throwing Christianity and Celtic Paganism into a weird little flower bed together and seeing what pops up and how they twist around each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's a good point, because I think it's easy to reduce the film, you know, sort of boil it down to okay, here we have just a it's a foll car tale. It's uh, you know, exploitation, your standard story about someone from the city or from civilization, like going into a rural or more rural part of their own country and invoking and encountering like, you know, scary locals there.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, you see this a lot uh in fiction in general, but also in speculative fiction and weird fiction and horror. There's certainly an element of that here, not to say that it doesn't, you know, dip its toes and wade into those waters. But like you said, it presents ideas on both sides. Like there's there's certainly plenty to admire in the idealistic, close to nature, sex positive society of summer Isle, but we also come to see the dangers of their ideology. Likewise, our protagonist comes from a world of science and reason, and and we you know, we we like science and reason, and then obviously that seems to be a value that celebrated within the context of the film as well. But we also seated his world as one of, at least in his own experience, one of sexual repression and deep seated unhappiness. And at the same time, these two worlds are linked in very fundamental ways, and the film does a great job of, sometimes very subtly, sometimes more overtly, stitching those connections out.
Speaker 4: Why should we.
Speaker 3: Pause really quickly and just say, like what a one sentence plot summary is. Yeah, It's like, there is a remote Scottish island called summer Isle, and a West Highland Police officer, a police detective named Sergeant Howie, has been summoned to the island via an anonymous letter saying that a girl on the island named Rowan Morrison has gone missing. So Sergeant Howie, he is, by the way, a devoutly religious Christian police inspector. He goes to the island by seaplane to look for the missing girl and to find out more about the note he received.
Speaker 4: So that's the setup.
Speaker 3: And then one of the main things we can say about the plot branching out from there is that Sergeant how he discovers the inhabitants of this remote Scottish island are not Christians, there in fact practicing what seems to be a variant of Celtic paganism, celebrating the old gods, the joyous old gods, and some of the modes of their celebration are quite distressing to him, the basics at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a good setup here.
Speaker 3: Another thing I want to mention about the Wickerman that I'd love and find really unique about the movie is the ambiguity of the main characters. So the protagonist of the film, the detective protagonist, Sergeant Howie, is simultaneously so sympathetic and so hateable. His mission is a good one. He is trying to investigate the case of a missing girl, and we see his dedication to his mission in a way that like, you know, obviously, if a child goes me saying, it is very good to want to solve that problem and look out for the welfare of the child, which we see he is genuinely invested in. We also see the setting of summerle from his perspective and are thus frustrated with the kind of squirreliness and untrustworthiness of the people he encounters while he's trying to solve this mystery. But also Sergeant Howie's personality and worldview are so off putting. He is arrogant, self righteous, puritanical, rude, and over and over again his behavior is just so misaligned with how it seems he should be conducting the investigation. He gets sidetracked from this genuinely noble quest in order to screech at people about saying the word penis and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, like the scene where he disrupts the classroom.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: So this is not a type of protagonist I can think of many other examples of and I find it such an interesting choice. He's kind of like a combination of like Hercule Poirot, but not as but without the virtuosity and detective work. I'll come back to that in a minute. But then also, I don't know, like one of the one of the judges in The Crucible or like the Witchfinder General. He's like a totally unsympathetically puritanical prude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so do we like him, like.
Speaker 3: Not really sometimes not at all, But also we we sympathize with what he's doing, and we want him to find out what happened to the girl and solve the mystery, because we do repeatedly since that something treacherous is afoot and that Sergeant Howie might be the only person on this island who is actually trying to do what's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that's that's important to realize and something that I think you can sometimes lose track of if you haven't seen the film in a long time, or rather if you've seen the film and you know the general plot, you know what's going to happen and you're rewatching it. But yeah, it's important to note like what he's not like, He's not a pure punchline like he's not a he's not a straight man to set up a joke. Yeah, and we'll talk more about the tone here in a second. He's also not a character that deserves punishment like it's. It's you can easily imagine a cheap, kind of like easy comics Tales from the Crypt version of this exact story, where his downfall is directly connected to a specific action or choice on his part, or a deep seated character flaw or something. And that's not really the case either, or at least it's not that one thing that fits into the the you know, the little box in the in the Tales of the Crypt comic book. You know, it's it's broader than that.
Speaker 3: It's more complicated, right, I know exactly what you're saying. So, yeah, he's not like a Tails from the Crypt protagonist. To is the classic format of that character is it is someone who has done something quite evil, is like flawed in a way that that spells their own doom. They're going to get a kind of karmic punch, and we are satisfied to see them get it.
Speaker 4: Howie is not like that.
Speaker 3: His unlikeability is shallower and more esthetic. Again, it's just that he is like a rude, arrogant, aggressive, prudish, self righteous jerk. But again I come back to he is a character like that, but we're with him because we sense something is very wrong on this island and he might be the only person who's able to do something about it. But then again, is there something wrong on this island. Another way the movie really keeps you guessing is the characterization of the people positioned as Sergeant Howie's antagonists, like Lord Summerle played by Christopher Lee in a masterful performance we'll talk about more as we go on, or Miss Rose played by Diane Cilento by sort of the default structure of the mystery narrative. These are the suspects in the mystery disappearance of Rowen Morison, and they're so interesting and likable and polite and have thoughtful perspectives, and they're sometimes just positively jolly in the face of Howie being like rude and aggressive to them. And I don't know, like all the antagonists are so lovable even when it feels like they're covering something up or not being forthright about what they know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, another weird thing about the characters.
Speaker 3: This is one of the only detective stories I can think of. In fact, maybe it's the only one. Could you even think of a possible counterexample? I don't know one of the only detective stories I know of where the protagonist is not only unlikable but not particularly competent. Right, this is what You always have a detective story about somebody who has powers of reasoning and insights, Sherlock Holmes or Poirot. You know, detectives who are skilled at solving a complicated puzzle. Sergeant Howie is clearly shown in the movie to be not a very good detective at all, and I think this is an essential part of his characterization. He is constantly missing important clues and constantly making bad choices that lead to dead ends in his pursuit of information. I think one of the main feelings that the audience will generally have about Sergeant Howie is the feeling of pity. It's like, oh boy, this poor guy, he is out of his depth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, isn't that.
Speaker 3: So strange to have a what is essentially a detective story and that's a key feature of your protagonist. Can you think of another story like that?
Speaker 1: The only examples I can think of are examples where the character is played for humor. Yeah, and this is where we should probably talk about the tone of the film, and I'll just goe and mentioned like humor wise, there are lots of things I think you can you can you will find humorous in The wicker Man, and I think those things are intended. And yet at the same time, it's not a comedy. It is played straight, and certainly Sergeant Howie's character is played straight like it's you could you could easily imagine a character like this tweaked into more of like a Michael Scott from the office to area, you know, or various like bumbling detective comedies we've seen over the years, and that's not what this film is. And of course as well as we will continue to discuss like it does defy easy categorization in a number of ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like the way you put it about the humor.
Speaker 4: I think that's right. It's like, there is a lot.
Speaker 3: Of intended humor in the movie, and it's ironic in nature. It's not in the form of overt jokes and gags. But anyway, just all these character dynamics, like the unlikeability of the protagonist, the incompetence of the protagonist, and the likability and thoughtfulness of his antagonists. All these things really keep you guessing, or they certainly did keep me guessing when I first watched Again. When I first saw this, I really had no idea where the movie was going and was floored by the ending, the famous surprise ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And that's a testament to a film like this if you're along for the ride, even if you are beginning to wonder, like, where could this ride possibly be going?
Speaker 3: Now, we've said several times we want to come back to the tone of the movie. I think I said at the beginning that it's questionable whether you should really call this movie a horror movie. When people call it horror, I think they're thinking mainly about the ending, which is absolutely horrifying. But for like ninety ninety five percent of the movie, does it really feel like a horror film?
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think most of the runtime it feels more like a bizarre, whimsical, religiously themed mystery.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and even just feels at times feels like a goofy musical, but not at like a laugh like a horr horror horror goofy musical, but just like you might ask yourself, what am I watching? My wife had never seen it before, and she watched part of it with me last night, and I think that was kind of her reaction, Like I was like, do you want to watch part of this full Carr movie from the early nineteen seventies, And she's like sure, and then she's like, what's going on?
Speaker 4: This is funny.
Speaker 3: Last night, Rachel and I also showed this movie to somebody for the first time and they had a similar reaction, though, like what is going on for much of the time, But I can report there was a big thumbs up in the end. But yeah, it's so so. It's got that weird not horror at all tone for most of the runtime and then suddenly bam the ending, which is I think one of the bleakest, most terrifying scenes I can think of in all of movie history. It is at once beautiful and terrible. It makes your blood run cold and then warm and then cold again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's pretty powerful, and I in terms of films we've watched on Weird House, I'd put it up there with Seconds. Yeah, in terms of its impact. I also want to add that even in the film's restored state, which is generally how you'll find it, I assume streaming and certainly on home media, there's a rawness to the footage that at times contributes to this feeling that we're watching documentary footage of some sort, like it's a documentary about the way people actually live on this island. Also, you have a lot of non actors in there and musicians, as we'll note, which adds to that feel like I'm not watching actors, I'm watching real people and this must be how they live. The production design, the locations are all a part of this, and you could also probably compare this to some rather different films from the nineteen seventies also have a similar feel, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, though again very different sort of horror film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, though this movie has a lot more of a community feel than Texas Chainsaw Masacar does, which is very isolated.
Speaker 4: And you're only going to meet.
Speaker 3: A few weird characters, but it has that documentary visual style. What you mentioned about the presence of non actors is I feel like a big has a big impact on the ambience of this film. There are scenes in a pub or out in a you know, on a street beside a harbor, where lots of people are milling around on screen, and most of them are clearly not actors. They're people kind of looking weird and confused and mumbling, and it contributes greatly to a sense of reality. Actually, yeah, And it also it makes the important characters pop more, like when you know, all these kind of like old men who are just kind of mumbling their lines a little bit as they're standing around outside the end, and then we meet Lord Summerle and suddenly it's for Lee and you're like awed by his presence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a great point.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Another thing that is kind you could think of as just an extension of the very unusual tone of the movie is the fact that it's also sort of a musical like. It not only prominently features music with lyrics on the soundtrack, it has several diegetic musical numbers where the characters sing and even sing into the camera. Is there another horror movie like that?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't think of another film, certainly a horror film that uses music quite the same way.
Speaker 3: One thing that I think is interesting about the use of music is that only the characters who live on summerle seem to know that they're in a musical. So like normally, if you're in a musical, all the characters sing, or all of the major characters sing. The protagonist certainly sings, But Sergeant Howie does not sing except we see him again it's diegetic music. We see him singing him at church at the beginning of the movie. That's just a scene where he's in church. He never like looks into the camera and sings the way say britt Eklund does or the way Christopher Lee does. So it's only the Pagans that are allowed to actually be in a musical as musical players. Sergeant Howie is just sort of living in their musical world without getting to be an agent of music himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, what if he had sung though, that would have been interesting taken in, taken more of it, like a Schmigadoon direction where he realizes that he has to sing in order to in order to connect with these characters.
Speaker 3: M yeah, maybe things would have turned out differently for him.
Speaker 1: He does sing a little the end. He does sing a little the end. I think, well, we'll get back to that. And while he may sing just a little bit. He never dances, and dance is also a big part of a number of these these musical numbers where we see some sort of ritual dance taking place.
Speaker 3: In fact, at one point when he's in disguise, he gets yelled at for not dancing because he's in disguise going down the May Day Parade and uh at one and Christopher Lee turns and sees him just kind of wandering down the road instead of, I don't know, doing whatever he's supposed to be doing, and he yells at him.
Speaker 4: Cut some capers, man, you.
Speaker 1: Got time to glance, you got time to dance?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I don't think we can possibly do an elevator pitch for Wickerman.
Speaker 1: No, it pretty much stands on its own. So let's let's go ahead in here just a little bit from the what I believe is the original trailer. I got a tail unfold whose lightest work would head O up? And I'm so pretest young blood.
Speaker 4: I am here to investigate the disappearance.
Speaker 1: I'm a young girl.
Speaker 4: Where is Ron Morrison?
Speaker 3: If Ruin Morrison existed, we would.
Speaker 2: Not I should expect Manda read the.
Speaker 1: Name of God woman, What kind of mother are you that can stand by and so your own child slaughtered?
Speaker 2: You are the fool, little Harry, the liars.
Speaker 1: You are despicable little liars. Where if Morrison, if Ruin Marrison existed, we would.
Speaker 4: Not I should spect Manda, she was bird?
Speaker 1: You are the fool?
Speaker 4: Where is Rowan Morrison?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: If you would like to see The wicker Man again. Widely available in all formats, and it's could following has seen multiple special editions released over the years. There have been a few different cuts. I'm not sure to what degree we're going to get into talking about different cuts of the film. I think there are like three major versions, like a theatrical version, and then they added some minutes to it, and then they took away a few minutes. But definitely watch it, and you know the best format you can get. Maybe shopple around a little bit on those different forms. I watched it in a restored form on Blu ray one that I rented from Atlanta's own video Drome from their full car sub section.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: But I don't know which edition it was. I know it had like baked in trailers at the beginning, which I did not like. I feel like especially now. It makes me think it was maybe a slightly older Blu ray, because more and more Blu rays these days, I feel like are treated like the premium item they are, and they're like less tied to timely trailers from pictures.
Speaker 3: Wait, what was what were your baked in trailers for? Mine was for a re release of American Psycho. Yes, yes, okay, so we've got the same disc, do we?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Okay, So then you probably watched what's called the final cut? I think so, And the final cut is I think the latest of the major cuts of the film. Did your version also have some scenes that were in much lower film quality than most of the movie?
Speaker 1: I believe? So? Yeah, restored sequences, yes.
Speaker 3: So, like the scene where Christopher Lee is outside the inn at night talking to a slug about how he wants to be like him.
Speaker 1: Oh so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was not in the original version of the movie that I saw. I think the first one I saw was the theatrical cut. But so that's a restored scene that the film does not look great, But I'm glad it's there and it's worth it to have, even though it's cutting back and forth between extremely different levels of fidelity.
Speaker 4: It's it's worth it to have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it helps too that the best fidelity in the film is not like so great that it feels as jarring, or at least that's the impression I had. Alright, Let's get into the people behind this film a bit, starting with the director, of course. The director was Robin Hardy, who lived nineteen twenty nine through twenty sixteen. English director who started out directing for the National Film Board of Canada, then Yeah Yeah, then PBS aligned so O World Theater, before moving to London to partner with screenwriter Anthony Shaffer to co found an advertising agency. The wicker Man, again, released in seventy three, filmed in seventy two, I believe, was his first feature directorial project and by far his most impactful. He only followed it up with two other films, nineteen eighty six is The Fantasist and twenty eleven's The Wicker Tree, based on his own novel, Cowboys for a Christ. He also has a story credit on nineteen eighty eight's Forbidden Son. After The Wickerman, he returned to the US and mostly wrote historical novels and worked. According to his obituary in The Guardian as a consultant in the historical theme park business. David Piner is the novelist the novel ritual from nineteen sixty seven. This apparently is what they like, they paid to adapt it. It's not one of these cases where they just kind of ripped it off, like they paid to do the adaptation but then ultimately deviated from a lot of it. I haven't read it, but I'm to understand it. You know, it concerns, maybe on some level, the same skeleton of a plot line where a police investigator is checking out some rural community that ends up having some you know, pagan elements to their religious rights.
Speaker 3: No way to confirm this, just to guess, but I like to imagine that this movie was at least in part based on something from Christopher Lee's apocryphal collection of occult Tomes.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised. Yeah. Now, Anthony Shaffer that we mentioned, who wrote the screenplay. He lived nineteen twenty six through two thousand and one, British writer whose previous credits included Alfred Hitchcock's nineteen seventy two film Frenzy, which, if you haven't seen it, seen it as quite a solid psycho killer film starring John Finch and Barry Foster.
Speaker 4: I've actually never seen that one. I love Hitchcock, but.
Speaker 1: Oh it's good. It hasn't as I recall it as a really nice long shot.
Speaker 3: At one point I had some movies with those yet was this his second to last movie?
Speaker 1: It was pretty late.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also Schaeffer wrote the two man play turned film Sleuth from the same year, starring Lawrence Olivier and Michael Kine, and he'd later work on Let's See. There was a whole series of seventies and eighties Agatha Christie film adaptations in which Peter Eustonoff played Birot and his identical twin brother. Peter Shaffer, who lived nineteen twenty six through twenty sixteen, was also an acclaimed screenwriter whose stage in screen credits include Equis and Amedeus Wow Talented Siblings.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is a lot to love about The Wickerman, but I think it has a particularly fantastic screenplay for a horror film. Not to insult horror films generally, but you know, I'm a lover of horror, but I'm aware that a lot of horror writing does it is attracted to cliches like a magnet sort of, and this screenplay, even though now we live in a world where a lot of other stories I think have copied a lot from The Wickerman, but at least for its own time, incredibly unusual and unique and remarkably I think, free of cliches, just an original and authentic exploration.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right. Getting into the cast here playing Sergeant Howie, we have Edward Woodwarton, who lived nineteen thirty through two thousand and nine, British actor of stage, screen and TV, who at the time was best known in the UK for his portrayal of secret Service agent Callen on the TV show of the same name. Now, when I first watched The wicker Man, I knew him mostly from advertisements for the TV show The Equalizer, which ran eighty five through eighty nine.
Speaker 4: What does an equalizer do?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's not a show I ever actually watched, but I know I just was like, well, that's the equalizer. He equalizes.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a piece of audio equipment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if the Equalizer on the TV show is a cop if he's like a fixer, like which side of the law he's aligned with. Is he a secret agent, I'm not sure, but he equalizes, so there's some implied neutrality there.
Speaker 3: I guess I've got a seventy nine two equalizer man.
Speaker 1: He has a ton of credits, though, including nineteen sixty four's Beckett, nineteen eighty's Breaker Morant that he had the title role in that. He's in nineteen eighty four as a Christmas carol. He plays the ghost of chrism Is Present in that one. This is one of the Christmas carols that my family watched a lot when I was a kid.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: The ghost of Christmas Present is supposed to be jolly and full of good cheer, which is not at all in the role I'm familiar with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a very different role. He pops up in two thousand and seven's Hot Fuzz. His only other horror films is that I'm aware of, are nineteen seventy one's Bloodsuckers and nineteen eighty two's The Appointment. And I would also be remiss if I didn't mention that he plays Sol in the nineteen eighty five King David movie. That's the one that has George Eastman in it.
Speaker 3: This is like the second reference to this in like three weeks.
Speaker 1: Everything comes back to George Eastman. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think Edward Woodward should get a lot of love for this performance because it's kind of a thankless role. Like it is so much easier to love the Pagans in the movie, to love Christopher Lee, and to love Diane Cilento and Ingrid Pitt, you know, all the local characters who were sort of the colorful, interesting wild ones. As we've said many times, the protagonist of this movie is not very likable. He's kind of a stick in the mud. He's kind of a jerk, and so I think it's very easy to miss how important the portrayal of this character is to the effect of the story in the end. And Edward Woodward is great in the role. He doesn't try to steal the show and make his character more likable than he needs to be. Instead, he's exactly what is called for by the script, and he's great.
Speaker 4: He's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's a complex role. It's arguably far more complex than any of the other characters that we encounter in the picture. I was watching an interview with the director and Hardy really gives a lot of credit to Woodward for creating this character on the screen, Like he says, you know, like with Christopher Lee's character, we had these parameters set out and Christopher Lee delivered, you know, knocked out of the park. But there was a lot to Sergeant Howie that really had to be created in the performance, and he Woodward all the credit in the world for doing that. That's right.
Speaker 3: A lot of how we feel about how he isn't even in his lines. It's in kind of facial expressions, reactions. He brings such a sense of visible frustration to the character in every scene almost you can just see him just kind of like shaking with annoyance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and wrestling with what he's seeing. You know, there's a lot of he's not telling you his internal monologue about how conflicted he may feel about certain things, or tempted he may feel about certain things. He's just in the performance, you know.
Speaker 3: When he's trying to say hide to maybe a prurient sexual interest that he knows he should not have, but is part of his character as well. So, yeah, totally agree, Woodward is excellent.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to Lord Summerle who, as we've been mentioning is played by the great Christopher Lee, who of nineteen twenty two through twenty fifteen. This is our seventh Weird House Cinema selection featuring Sir Christopher Lee, you know as we as you know, best known for such roles as Sarimon the White and Lord of the Rings, Dracula in multiple Hammer Horror films and some non Hammer horror films, and Count Dooku in the Star Wars prequels. I just caught Revenge of the Sith on the big screen in its re release, and his performance is brief but very memorable, has a nice little arc to it, probably I would say, arguably stands out among his very late career performances.
Speaker 3: I've said this before that I'm not as big a fan of the Star Wars prequels, though not to poo poo anybody who does love them. But for me, at least even in my least favorite, which is Attack of the Clones, when Christopher Lee shows up, it's just it's a whole other movie now, Like I love him, and yeah, so Christopher Lee is one of my favorites, but this is it's got to be. This is my all time favorite. Christopher Lee role the Wickerman is head and shoulders above them all to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and this is an opinion that Christopher Lee shared as well. By most accounts, the film was reportedly a real passion project for him. We mentioned how he was pretty much in the room, being one of the people who brought it together to begin with, and he claimed, and I have no reason to doubt him to have waived off any payment for the role. That basically like they couldn't afford him, they couldn't afford his rate. And he's like, well, don't worry about it. I want this film to be made. And then when the film studio opted to release it in the UK without a screening as part of a double feature, the second half of the double feature with Don't Look Now.
Speaker 4: Which is a great horror movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a very very well received picture. I don't know if it's these are two strange kind of an odd match to pair them together, Yes, but that kind of also shows you that the studio seemingly didn't really know what to do with the film, and we're just kind of like, well, just put it out there, we're not going to screen it. But Lee then personally calls all the film critics that he knew of to encourage them to see the film and offering to buy their it if they needed him to.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's great U And I love that because I'm pretty sure actually I don't know what the original critical reception was, but I know the studio that owned that owned the Wickerman hated it when when it was coming to I think it was em I like they famously like were panicking because they thought the movie was so bad and they were trying to find ways to avoid releasing it or to to cut it down. I think I think they just hated what they had on their hands and they didn't realize that it was a masterpiece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there there. This seems to definitely be the be true to some extent, but then there's also some seems to be some myth making on top of that.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know, like I.
Speaker 1: Said, this is a film that's been very popular for a long time. There's been a lot of interviews and a lot of comments. Like I saw one story that I'm I'm casting some doubt on that Rod Stewart tried to buy all the copies of it at one point so he could destroy his then girlfriend's nude scene, things like that, I don't know that, I'm just going to pass that by.
Speaker 3: Was he dating britt Ecklund, I believe so, Yes, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also it said that later on, when the film was released in the United States and seventy four, Lee flew to the States on his own dime to promote it as well, and would just appear on basically any show to talk about the Wickerman. That just filled me with happiness. That's gorgeous, and as we've been saying, it is a delightful performance from Lee, which I think is saying something because while Lee is always a fine screen presence, he almost always plays a rather grim and serious character, often with a malicious glint in his eyes, and for much of the film, the Lord Summerle that we experience is a joyous, care free figure. I swear Lee, who is I think around fifty at the time, really feels younger and certainly more energetic in this role than anything else I've seen him in from before or after this picture.
Speaker 3: He has the energy of a twenty two year old hippie who does clown school. Yes, yeah, he's just he's just magical. In the movie, he's bursting with positive intensity, occasionally turning threatening and then just turning very friendly and charming again. He has, in fact, he has kind of the quality of a pagan god. You can you can feel him almost becoming superhumanly enlarged and striding over the fields, beaming down sunshine at everyone around him.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's good. Yeah. So these are our two main characters, I guess in the film, but we have a number of very interesting supporting roles, starting with I believe we mentioned her already, but Diane Cilento plays Miss Rose, who I believe is the town teacher. She's she's teaching to I don't know what other like a lot of it's a small town, so a lot of people have multiple roles here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, double double booked on a lot of occupations in the town.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Miss miss Rose is a great character in Diane Cilento is excellent in this role. I mean, I'm gonna sound repetitive with the cast because everybody's so good, but she is great. She has such a gracious, almost flowing water kind of way of reacting to Sergeant Howie's aggressive inquiry. You know, she's at many points she is resisting his investigation, but it's just hard to feel like she could possibly be a bad guy.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she like a number of the other townsfolk that we meet, they're they're very likable and they seem very sensible in the face of his investigation.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're always making good points against yeah so.
Speaker 1: Cialento lived nineteen thirty two through twenty eleven Australian born actress of stage and screen who is nominated for an Oscar in nineteen sixty four for her supporting performance in the movie Tom Jones. Her other credits include sixty five's The Agony and the Ecstasy, nineteen sixty seven Zombre, and nineteen seventy two ZPG. She married Anthony Schaeffer in nineteen eighty five, and from her previous marriage, she was the mother of Jason Connery. I've read that she was a self professed white witch at the time of the Wickerman's filming and was personally involved in various details, including the fire dance. And at one point there's a tarot card on the ceiling, and I believe I've read that she drew that or painted it.
Speaker 4: Oh cool. Oh.
Speaker 1: And then of course there's the innkeeper's daughter, Willow played by Britt Eklund.
Speaker 3: Also great britt Ekland gets a full on musical number where she like turns and looks into the camera while she's singing Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Born nineteen forty two, Swedish actress, model, and singer, who certainly delivers charisma and sex appeal for several key scenes in the film, a character who, in Lord Somerle's words, is the embodiment of the Goddess of Love. Ecklund was a rather major celebrity of the day and appeared in some notable early nineteen seventies films, including seventy ones Get Carter, nineteen seventy Two's Asylum, and nineteen seventy four Is the Man with the Golden Gun, which of course also featured Christopher Lee.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I watched that movie as a kind of it's a James Bond movie. Yes, probably one of the worst James Bond movies. It's not very good, but as I say about some movies on here, it's not very good, but it's a good time. It's just a nice little wicker Man reunion to watch every now and then. I seem to recall the character she plays in The Man with the Golden Gun is supposed to be kind of not very smart, like she's kind of always like clumsily. She's like a spy, but she's constantly like whoops, getting bumped into the trunk of a car. And yeah, I don't know, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's not a great movie. But in the Wickerman, she is not dumb. She's rather crafty.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah she uh, you know, she behaves almost like a like a siren character. Yeah, and she has at least one key scene that features nudity, and I want to want to highlight that. A lot of times, you know, the nudity and films of this era and certainly of the genre or are more about pure titillation. And you know, not to say that these scenes are removed of titillation, but but there's a there's a lot more going on here, and I feel like they're they're overall very well crafted. In the extra that I featured, Hardy talks a little bit about the key Brett Acklin nude scene and how they shot it and all, and there's some there are actually some fun stories about that where they actually had to send off for someone to come in to be the butt double for that scene they had to get somebody from a like a nightclub in Scotland. Oh, that's funny, but.
Speaker 3: We should say we've been speaking about them like they might be two different scenes. The nude scene is also the musical number Yes, yes, yeah, and it is the scene where britt Eklund is really dedicated to making Sergeant Howie starts sinning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's in another room. But this the end has very thin walls and you can hear everything, like the people downstairs can hear everything. Howid he can hear everything? Yeah, we'll get into that when we talk about the specific scene, all right. And then rounding out the our trio of blonde seventy starlets in this picture, we have Ingrid Pitt playing the librarian. She lived nineteen thirty seven through twenty ten. Something of a Hammer horror regular, the Polish born actress, who started out on the East Berlin stage, is best known for roles in such films as nineteen sixty eights Where Eagles Dare, nineteen seventies The Vampire Lovers, and nineteen seventy one's Countessed Dracula. Her other credits include episodes of Doctor Who nineteen seventy one is the House that Dripped the Blood and eineteen eighty five's Transmutations. We'll have more to say about her when we talk about the specific one of the main scenes that features the librarian.
Speaker 3: Yes, now you mentioned the character of Willow McGregor. That's britt Eklund. But we also meet her father, the Innkeeper aka the Landlord, who is an extremely odd critter.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yes. Played by Lindsey Kemp, who lived nineteen thirty eight through twenty eighteen. He was a British dancer, actor, teacher, mime artist and choreographer. His other acting credits include seventy two Savage Messiah, a nineteen eighty four TV adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream in which he plays Puck, and nineteen ninety eight's Velvet gold Mine. Very interesting character in his own right. He was a mentor to both David Bowie and Kate Bush.
Speaker 3: Hats off to him. I love every minute he's on screen. He's got this wild kind of raised eyebrow that's just always like, oh, you know you're a policeman, are you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's great. There is always that kind of like a sly judgment taking place with him. Yeah, wonderful little role. I mean all the so all the towns folk are great, the non actors, the musicians, and then the various character actors here and there. One that really stands out though, is Aubrey Morris playing the old gardener Slash the grave Digger. Yes, a great British character actor whose supporting roles include films like seventy one's a Clockwork, Orange Blood from the Mummy's Tomb and Lystomania, also nineteen eighty five's Life Force and The She Creature from two thousand and one. I would say one of the most memorable locals we meet in the film.
Speaker 3: He has a fantastic moment where Sergeant Howie asks him where their minister is and he just says minister and starts laughing and walks away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's really good. He we meet him in the graveyard, a great scene of the graveyard. Well we'll probably get to but yeah. He lived nineteen twenty six through twenty fifteen. All right, Now, one more local man that I want to mention here there's a fishmonger character, and I'm not sure I one hundred percent remember the fishmonger. Do you remember the fishmonger?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: It's possible his scene was even cut. I'm not certain. If nothing else, we may see him in the background.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of rosy cheeked, gray haired, partly balding old men who stand around in the background of many scenes at the pub, at the harbor and so forth at the May Day celebration and don't really get in many individual moments.
Speaker 4: Of their own.
Speaker 3: But it's a but overall, it's a big community ensemble, and so there are a lot of characters you're not going to remember very specifically.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the Fishmonger is played by John Young, who lived nineteen sixteen through nineteen ninety six. And this is the guy who played the modern day historian that A Night murders in nineteen seventy five's Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Speaker 4: Oh I remember him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, he shows up like it's, you know, a television show about medieval history, and then at one point a Night rides past him and slays him with a sword. Yeah, it's a good gag. Yeah, as John Young. He was also in a Life of Brian in seventy nine and eighty one's Chariots of Fire. Oh, and he's also in Time Badmit's all right, and then coming back around to the music, Paul Giovanni was the composer. He lived nineteen thirty three through nineteen ninety and yeah, there's a lot where we're going to continue to say about the music of The wicker Man, a film that makes terrific use of digetic music, contributing heavily to the uneasiness of the film and also creating that feeling of uncertainty regarding what sort of musical film are we watching. Paul Giovanni was an American playwright, actor, director, a singer and musician, and we see him in the film as well the man singing gently Johnny and the green Man in Oh.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that was Paul Giovanni. He's a handsome fella. He's a good singer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he also sings on corn Riggs and Landlord's daughter. Giovanni wrote the music and much of the lyrics. I think Cornriggs is adapted from a Robert Burns song. But this was his only musical film credit, but his plays include The Crucifer of Blood, which was adapted in nineteen ninety one for a TV film starring Charlton Heston as Sherlock Holmes. What, Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: That is one of the weirdest pieces of casting I've ever heard of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never seen it. I'm only vaguely aware of it, and my initial reaction is much like when I hear about anybody playing Sherlock Holmes. I'm my personal response is you're not Sherlock Holmes. Jeremy Brett is Sherlock Holmes. But then I read this is crazy. Just learned this literally today. That ten years earlier before this TV adaptation of The Crucifer of Blood, Heston played the role in an LA stage adaptation of the play, and Jeremy Brett played Watson.
Speaker 4: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't seem right, It doesn't seem like it should be real. It seems like this is some sort of awful joke being played on me personally. But yeah, I'm sure Jimmy Brett was a fine Watson.
Speaker 4: I gotta look this up.
Speaker 3: I just I am not even finding myself able to imagine Charlton Eston as Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 4: That is weird. That is deep weird.
Speaker 1: I don't have any other information on it. I don't know if he attempts a British accent or not, but it definitely happened. It happened more than once. Now it's not just Paul Giovanni on the music here. The collaborating musicians responsible are credited as Magnet, headed up by composer Gary Carpenter born nineteen fifty one, who is also associate music director on the film. I watched a great interview with Carpenter about the film's music and the winding path the soundtrack took to actual physical release. All very insightful and full of lots of technical details if you're interested in the recording details in all but one observation he made that I thought was interesting is he compares the raw recording style of the film's music is being very similar to later trends and just music recording in general. So we have all these scenes where in the picture musicians characters that our musicians are creating the music within the scene. But of course all of that is also recorded separately in a sound studio to be used as part of, you know, to create the film score and soundtrack. But it's the same people. So you have this interesting connection there, and that's I think one of the reasons that they said, well, we're going to record this in such a way that there is a rawness to it that he kept talking about, how you can hear like like some of the physical details of the instrumentation. You know, I guess to sort of place you in the scene with the music creation and not just experiencing the results of the musical act.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so once again, Yeah, the music is a very important part of The wicker Man and is on the whole terrific. I should also add that the score is widely available. You can buy it, you can stream it, so after you've watched The wicker Man, you can do what I've been doing and just run the score and the soundtrack over and over again in your headphones.
Speaker 3: And you can wander around your house singing corn rigs and bars.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, we do that so much. All right, now, this is the point at which we would normally transition into discussing the plot. But I believe, given that we have so much more to talk about, and we're going to go ahead and cut this episode and we will continue this in a part two in the next installment of Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: That's right, gives you plenty of time to watch the movie if you did not heed our warning at the very beginning and go watch it.
Speaker 1: Then that's right. We haven't done this with many films. We were talking about this before we rolled here. We did it with Highlander two, and we did it with inch Is Doune. So uh uh yeah, you know that's this is a film that I think checks off all the boxes. It's a big film. There's a lot that's been said about it. There's a lot that we have to say about it. I mean, I feel like I could spend a good half hour just talking about key scenes such as the scene all the scenes that take place in the candy store slash post office.
Speaker 3: Oh well, okay, then this is something we should do before we wrap up today's episode. What is your top confection from the post office slash slash candy store in summer Isle Town.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean there's so much. I mean, I love this shop. This is one of those shops that feels absolutely real. You know, I imagine they've taken any they took. They took an existing shop and in Scotland and uh on one on the Loton location and dressed it up and it's just filled with all of these uh you know, strange pagan treats. Uh and you're.
Speaker 3: Saying they would really feed these nightmare images to children.
Speaker 1: I guess. So you know within you know, in the fictional world of the film, Yes, I mean there are several key standouts that there is. Of course, the baby cake, the kid cake. That's that's an easy favorite, I think for anybody. But the closer you look, there are all these other little details. There are little pink elephants. I don't know what the pink elephants represent within their their their rights and observations, but they are there in their numerous ones. There are some wonderful frogs or toads. Those were my wife's favorites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the chocolate rams heads with littless yellow eyes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, there are a number of hairs as well, and some other strange babies that are are in the shop in addition to this. So I don't know, I've got to go with the kid cake or the elephants. Probably the kid cake. It's the kid cake.
Speaker 3: How about the bride with the wreath of pink flowers around her head with the eyes pinned open like Alex and clockwork orange.
Speaker 1: That's good too.
Speaker 4: What are they showing that cake? What does she have to watch? Are they playing the lud Big band.
Speaker 1: I think the kid cake has maybe some I'd have to watch the scene again, but based on a still that I pulled up, I think there's like maybe a jelly filling to it, which you know is fitting.
Speaker 3: Oh I see that. Yeah, you see them cut it open and it's kind of spilling out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's like a jam roll jamcake sort of a situation. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Something that's really confusing is that in may Morrison's post office slash sweet shop, they serve green frog cakes that you eat. But we also see in the same shop later she's putting a live green frog in a kid's mouth to cure her of a sore throat.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but then that's not candy, that's medicinal. But then she gets a hard candy afterwards as a treat to sort of like, you know, that's right, to get rid of the taste of the frog.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, to learn more about the sweet Shop and the rest of what Samuraile has to offer to the adventurous tourists, you'll have to come back next week for part two two of our series on the Wickerman.
Speaker 1: That's right, Keep your appointment with the Wickerman next week on Weird House Cinema, but in the meantime, we would love to hear from you if you already have thoughts to share about the Wickerman wright in we'd love to hear from you. Let's see, we should remind you that if you want to follow Weird House Cinema online, we have a letterboxed account. You can find us there. Our username is Weirdhouse. We have a nice list of all the movies we've covered over the years, sometimes a peek ahead at what's coming up next, and you can also follow us on Instagram at stbym podcast. We're on some other social networks as well, but those are the main places to follow us.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer, JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.